computer assisted therapy
Summary: Computer systems utilized as adjuncts in the treatment of disease.
Publications233 found, 100 shown here
- Comments on "Stair climbing is more critical than walking in pre-clinical assessment of primary stability in cementless THA in vitro" by Jean-Pierre Kassi, Markus O. Heller, Ulrich Stoeckle, Carsten Perka, Georg N. Duda, Published on J. BiomechaLuca Cristofolini
J Biomech 39:3085-7; author reply 3087-40. 2006
- Internet-based cognitive behavioural therapy for subthreshold depression in people over 50 years old: a randomized controlled clinical trialViola Spek
Department of Psychology and Health, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 37:1797-806. 2007....
- One-year follow-up results of a randomized controlled clinical trial on internet-based cognitive behavioural therapy for subthreshold depression in people over 50 yearsV Spek
Department of Psychology and Health, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 38:635-9. 2008....
- Internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy for symptoms of depression and anxiety: a meta-analysisViola Spek
Department of Psychology and Health, Tilburg University, The Netherlands
Psychol Med 37:319-28. 2007..We studied to what extent internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) programs for symptoms of depression and anxiety are effective...
- Smoking cessation via the internet: a randomized clinical trial of an internet intervention as adjuvant treatment in a smoking cessation interventionSandra J Japuntich
Center for Tobacco Research and Intervention, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, 1930 Monroe Street, Suite 200, Madison, WI 53711, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 8:S59-67. 2006..05). In sum, results suggest that participants used CHESS SCRP frequently, CHESS SCRP use was related to success, but the effects in general did not yield intergroup effects...
- Optimizing compliant, model-based robotic assistance to promote neurorehabilitationEric T Wolbrecht
Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 83844, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 16:286-97. 2008..The experiments also demonstrate how including the "assist-as-needed" modification in the controller increases participation from the motor system...
- Is robot-aided sensorimotor training in stroke rehabilitation a realistic option?B T Volpe
Burke Medical Research Institute, 785 Mamaroneck Avenue, White Plains, NY 10605, USA
Curr Opin Neurol 14:745-52. 2001....
- Internet-based mental health programs: a powerful tool in the rural medical kitKathleen M Griffiths
Centre for Mental Health Research, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Aust J Rural Health 15:81-7. 2007..To discuss, using two case examples, the potential utility of Internet-based depression information and automated therapy programs in rural regions...
- The effectiveness of personally tailored computer-generated advice letters for smoking cessationRon Borland
VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control, Carlton Victoria, Australia
Addiction 99:369-77. 2004..To assess the effectiveness of a new computer-generated tailored advice programme designed to be used by smokers and recent quitters having problems staying stopped...
- The role of engagement in a tailored web-based smoking cessation program: randomized controlled trialVictor J Strecher
Center for Health Communications Research, University of Michigan School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0471, USA
J Med Internet Res 10:e36. 2008..First, does engagement with program content predict long-term outcomes? Second, which users are most likely to drop out or disengage from the program? Third, do particular intervention strategies enhance engagement?..
- Utilization of smoking cessation informational, interactive, and online community resources as predictors of abstinence: cohort studyLawrence C An
University of Minnesota, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
J Med Internet Res 10:e55. 2008..The association between greater utilization of Web-assisted tobacco interventions and increased abstinence rates is well recognized. However, there is little information on how utilization of specific website features influences quitting...
- Robotic techniques for upper limb evaluation and rehabilitation of stroke patientsRoberto Colombo
Service of Bioengineering, Salvatore Maugeri Foundation, IRCCS, 28010 Veruno, Italy
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 13:311-24. 2005..The new robot measured parameters may provide useful information about the course of treatment and its effectiveness at discharge...
- Computerized, interactive, multimedia cognitive-behavioural program for anxiety and depression in general practiceJ Proudfoot
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London
Psychol Med 33:217-27. 2003....
- Online support for smoking cessation: a systematic review of the literatureLion Shahab
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Addiction 104:1792-804. 2009..To examine the efficacy and acceptability of online, interactive interventions for smoking cessation and to identify treatment effect moderators and mediators...
- Biologically variable or naturally noisy mechanical ventilation recruits atelectatic lungW A Mutch
Department of Anaesthesia and Neuroanaesthesia Research Laboratory, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 162:319-23. 2000..Our results suggest that using natural biologically variable noise has enhanced the performance of a mechanical ventilator in control mode...
- Enduring effects of a computer-assisted training program for cognitive behavioral therapy: a 6-month follow-up of CBT4CBTKathleen M Carroll
Yale University School of Medicine, Division of Substance Abuse, 950 Campbell Avenue, 151D West Haven, CT 06516, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 100:178-81. 2009..To evaluate the durability of effects of a computer-assisted version of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) as treatment for substance dependence through a 6-month follow-up...
- A review of computer and Internet-based interventions for smoking behaviorScott T Walters
University of Texas School of Public Health, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, V8 112, Dallas, TX 75390 9128, United States
Addict Behav 31:264-77. 2006..Future studies will need to identify whether certain patients are more likely to benefit from such interventions, and which pharmacological and behavioral adjuncts can best promote cessation...
- Usage of an Internet smoking cessation resource: the Australian QuitCoachJames Balmford
VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control, The Cancer Council Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
Drug Alcohol Rev 28:66-72. 2009..This paper compares QuitCoach users both with smokers in general, and with callers to a telephone-based smoking cessation service (the Victorian Quitline). It also explores patterns of QuitCoach usage by time of year and day of the week...
- Glucommander: a computer-directed intravenous insulin system shown to be safe, simple, and effective in 120,618 h of operationPaul C Davidson
Atlanta Diabetes Associates, Suite 2080, Atlanta, GA 30309, USA
Diabetes Care 28:2418-23. 2005..The published methods for administering the insulin are complex and are usually limited to intensive care units with a low patient-to-nurse ratio...
- Early automatic remote detection of combined lead insulation defect and ICD damagePetr Neuzil
Cardiology Department, Na Homolce Hospital, Roentgenova 2, Prague 5, Prague, Czech Republic
Europace 10:556-7. 2008..Immediate lead and device replacement was performed. This case illustrates the benefit of permanent automatic remote monitoring of implanted active devices...
- A novel mechatronic body weight support systemMartin Frey
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 14:311-21. 2006..Thus, the novel BWS system presented in this paper is an important contribution to maximize the therapeutic outcome of human gait rehabilitation...
- Comparing two web-based smoking cessation programs: randomized controlled trialH Garth McKay
Oregon Research Institute, 1715 Franklin Boulevard, Eugene, OR 97403, USA
J Med Internet Res 10:e40. 2008..To date, the relatively few controlled trials of Web-based smoking cessation programs have been limited by short follow-up intervals...
- Computer-based tools for diagnosis and treatment of alcohol problemsReid K Hester
Research Division, Behavior Therapy Associates, LLP, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Alcohol Res Health 29:36-40. 2006..Future efforts should be aimed at developing and evaluating additional computer-based interventions, particularly for specific patient subgroups, and at removing barriers to the incorporation of such programs into clinical practice...
- ChewFree.com: evaluation of a Web-based cessation program for smokeless tobacco usersHerbert H Severson
Oregon Research Institute, Eugene, Oregon 97405, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:381-91. 2008..We conclude that a tailored, interactive Web-assisted cessation program can be an efficacious method for assisting adult ST users to quit...
- The effectiveness of personalized smoking cessation strategies for callers to a Quitline serviceRon Borland
VicHealth Centre for Tobacco Control, Victoria, Australia
Addiction 98:837-46. 2003..To assess the effectiveness of a program of computer-generated tailored advice for callers to a telephone helpline, and to assess whether it enhanced a series of callback telephone counselling sessions in aiding smoking cessation...
- A multicenter randomized trial of computer-driven protocolized weaning from mechanical ventilationFrancçois Lellouche
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Henri Mondor, and Unité INSERM U 651, Universite Paris XII, Creteil, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:894-900. 2006..We assessed whether a closed-loop knowledge-based algorithm introduced in a ventilator to act as a computer-driven weaning protocol can improve patient outcomes as compared with usual care...
- Utilization of a computerized intravenous insulin infusion program to control blood glucose in the intensive care unitRattan Juneja
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Diabetes Technol Ther 9:232-40. 2007..This paper discusses the impact of the GlucoStabilizer program on the glycemic control of intensive care patients with hyperglycemia...
- Randomized controlled trial of a web-based computer-tailored smoking cessation program as a supplement to nicotine patch therapyVictor J Strecher
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ann Arbor 48109 0471, USA
Addiction 100:682-8. 2005..To assess the efficacy of World Wide Web-based tailored behavioral smoking cessation materials among nicotine patch users...
- Health technology assessment review: Computerized glucose regulation in the intensive care unit--how to create artificial controlMiriam Hoekstra
Departments of Anesthesiology and Cardiology, University Medical Center Groningen, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Crit Care 13:223. 2009..The computerized Cuss that are most likely to emerge are those that are fully a part of the routine workflow, use patient-specific characteristics and apply variable sampling intervals...
- Severe atrioventricular decoupling, uncoupling, and ventriculoatrial coupling during enhanced atrial pacing: incidence, mechanisms, and implications for minimizing right ventricular pacing in ICD patientsMichael O Sweeney
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 19:1175-80. 2008..AV Decoupling During Enhanced AAIR Pacing...
- Status of computerized cognitive behavioural therapy for adultsNickolai Titov
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 41:95-114. 2007..Suggestions are made for further research and useful website addresses are provided to assist clinicians in familiarizing themselves with CCBT...
- Moderators and mediators of a web-based computer-tailored smoking cessation program among nicotine patch usersVictor J Strecher
University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center, 300 N Ingalls Room 5D 04 0471, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0471, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 8:S95-101. 2006..Moderating variables may be particularly useful to address in tailored messaging. The mediating factor of perceived message relevance may provide a partial mechanism of effective program tailoring...
- A randomised, controlled trial of conventional versus automated weaning from mechanical ventilation using SmartCare/PSLouise Rose
The University of Melbourne and Intensive Care Unit, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
Intensive Care Med 34:1788-95. 2008..Preliminary assessment of an automated weaning system (SmartCare/PS) compared to usual management of weaning from mechanical ventilation performed in the absence of formal protocols...
- Reduction of RV pacing by continuous optimization of the AV intervalGoran Milasinovic
Pacemaker Center, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 29:406-12. 2006..This prospective, multicenter study compared the percentage of ventricular pacing with and without AV interval extension...
- Does visual restitution training change absolute homonymous visual field defects? A fundus controlled studyJ Reinhard
University Eye Hospital, Schleichstrasse 12 16, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 89:30-5. 2005..To examine whether visual restitution training (VRT) is able to change absolute homonymous field defect, assessed with fundus controlled microperimetry, in patients with hemianopia...
- A comparison of biologically variable ventilation to recruitment manoeuvres in a porcine model of acute lung injuryDuane J Funk
Department of Anaesthesia, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Respir Res 5:22. 2004....
- The kinetics of thermal injury in human renal carcinoma cellsXiaoming He
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 33:502-10. 2005....
- Automatic home monitoring of implantable cardioverter defibrillatorsJens Cosedis Nielsen
Cardiology Department, Heart Center, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Europace 10:729-35. 2008..We evaluated functionality and safety of HM ICDs...
- Advances in remote monitoring of implantable pacemakers, cardioverter defibrillators and cardiac resynchronization therapy systemsWerner Jung
Department of Cardiology, Academic Teaching Hospital Villingen of the University of Freiburg, Vöhrenbacherstrasse 23, 78050 Villingen Schwenningen, Germany
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 23:73-85. 2008..Further technological advances and a more clear understanding and appreciation of the clinical and economic benefits of telecardiology, will likely increase sharply the use of remote IECD monitoring in upcoming years...
- Minimally assistive robot training for proprioception enhancementMaura Casadio
Department of Informatics, Systems and Telematics, University of Genoa, Via Opera Pia 13, 16145, Genoa, Italy
Exp Brain Res 194:219-31. 2009..We suggest that the approach may be useful in the more general case of motor skill acquisition, in which enhancing proprioception may improve the ability to physically interact with the external world...
- Cooling and rewarming for brain ischemia or injury: theoretical analysisChenguang Diao
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 31:346-53. 2003..The study has also demonstrated that the simulated 3 degrees C/h passive rewarming rate by exposing the head to room temperature after removing the source of cooling may be too rapid...
- Implementation of a practical model for light and heat distribution using laser-induced thermotherapy near to a large vesselJ F Verhey
Department of Medical Informatics, University of Goettingen, Robert Koch Str 40, D 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Phys Med Biol 48:3595-610. 2003....
- Identifying offline muscle strength profiles sufficient for short-duration FES-LCE exercise: a PAC learning model approachRandy D Trumbower
Sensory Motor Performance Program, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago and Northwestern University, Storrs, CT, USA
J Clin Monit Comput 20:209-20. 2006..However, there exists no systematic approach to predict whether an individual has sufficient thigh muscle strength necessary for FES-LCE exercise...
- Web-assisted tobacco interventions: empowering change in the global fight for the public's (e)HealthCameron D Norman
Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Med Internet Res 10:e48. 2008....
- Clinical efficacy of computerised cognitive-behavioural therapy for anxiety and depression in primary care: randomised controlled trialJudith Proudfoot
Centre for General Practice Integration Studies, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Br J Psychiatry 185:46-54. 2004..Preliminary results have demonstrated the clinical efficacy of computerised cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) in the treatment of anxiety and depression in primary care...
- Fractal ventilation enhances respiratory sinus arrhythmiaW Alan C Mutch
Department of Anesthesia, Faculty of Medicine, Anesthesia Research Laboratory, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg MB, Canada
Respir Res 6:41. 2005..Here we show that fractal ventilation increases respiratory sinus arrhythmia (RSA) -- a mechanism known to improve ventilation/perfusion matching...
- Effectiveness of a web-based self-help intervention for symptoms of depression, anxiety, and stress: randomized controlled trialAnnemieke van Straten
FPP, Department of Clinical Psychology, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Van der Boechorststraat 1, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Med Internet Res 10:e7. 2008..We developed a new Web-based self-help intervention based on problem-solving therapy, which may be used for people with different types of comorbid problems: depression, anxiety, and work-related stress...
- Subtraction of 16.67 Hz railroad net interference from the electrocardiogram: application for automatic external defibrillatorsIrena Jekova
Centre of Biomedical Engineering Prof Ivan Daskalov, Bulgarian Academy of Science, Acad G Bonchev str Bl105, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
Physiol Meas 26:987-1003. 2005..The procedure is suitable to be embedded in AEDs as a preprocessing branch, which proves reliable for analysis of ECG signals, thus guaranteeing the specified accuracy of the AED automatic rhythm analysis algorithms...
- Convexity, Jensen's inequality and benefits of noisy mechanical ventilationJohn F Brewster
Department of Statistics and Institute of Industrial Mathematical Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3 2N2
J R Soc Interface 2:393-6. 2005..The argument has implications for other life support devices, such as cardiopulmonary bypass pumps. This paper illustrates the benefits of research that takes place at the interface between mathematics and medicine...
- Optimization of cardiac resynchronization therapy by continuous hemodynamic monitoring:Frieder Braunschweig
Department of Cardiology, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 15:94-6. 2004..This case illustrates that continuous hemodynamic monitoring may offer a useful tool for device tuning and treatment monitoring in cardiac resynchronization therapy...
- Public access defibrillation: suppression of 16.7 Hz interference generated by the power supply of the railway systemsIvaylo I Christov
Center of Biomedical Engineering, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Acad, G, Bonchev str, blok 105, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria
Biomed Eng Online 4:16. 2005..The aim of this study is the suppression of the 16.7 Hz interference generated by the power supply of the railway systems...
- A reconfigurable neural signal processor (NSP) for brain machine interfacesShalom Darmanjian
Dept of Electr and Comput Eng, Univ of FL, Gainesville, FL 32611 6200, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:2502-5. 2006..Then it wirelessly transmits the predicted results to a simulated robot arm. This system has been built and successfully tested with real and simulated data...
- Estimation of vowel recognition with cochlear implant simulationsChuping Liu
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90007, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:74-81. 2007..Auditory training may help CI patients better perceive these speech cues transmitted by their speech processors...
- Walking with WALK! A cooperative, patient-driven neuroprosthetic systemThomas Fuhr
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 27:38-48. 2008
- Kinematic design to improve ergonomics in human machine interactionAndré Schiele
Automation and Robotics Section, Mechanical Engineering Department, European Space Research and Technology Centre, European Space Agency, 2201 AZ Noordwijk ZH, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 14:456-69. 2006..Results from inter-subject experiments with a prototype are presented, that verify usability over the entire workspace of the human arm, including shoulder and shoulder girdle...
- Future directions for cryosurgery computer treatment planningGeorge A Sandison
School of Health Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Urology 60:50-5. 2002..Optimization of the clinical procedure in the planning stage using mathematical algorithms to define the positioning and operation of cryoprobes is discussed...
- Control architecture for human-robot integration: application to a robotic wheelchairCipriano Galindo
System Engineering and Automation Department, University of Malaga, Campus de Teatinos, 29071 Malaga, Spain
IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern 36:1053-67. 2006..In particular, several real experiences have been conducted on a robotic wheelchair aimed to provide mobility to elderly people...
- Internet-based system for simulation-based medical planning for cardiovascular diseaseBrooke N Steele
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94035, USA
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 7:123-9. 2003..We describe a simulation-based medical planning environment developed for the World Wide Web (WWW) using the Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML) and the Java programming language...
- [Development of a robotic walking simulator for gait rehabilitation]H Schmidt
Freie Universitat Berlin, Universitatsklinikum Benjamin Franklin, Abteilung Neurologische Rehabilitation, Fraunhofer Institut für Produktionsanlagen und Konstruktionstechnik IPK, Bereich Automatisierung und Robotik, Berlin
Biomed Tech (Berl) 48:281-6. 2003..In full compliance mode the robotic walking simulator behaves like a haptic device. The concept presented offers new prospects for individualized gait rehabilitation...
- Utilizing gamma band to improve mental task based brain-computer interface designRamaswamy Palaniappan
Department of Computer Science, University of Essex, Colchester, CO4 3SQ, UK
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 14:299-303. 2006....
- Virtual reality and a haptic master-slave set-up in post-stroke upper-limb rehabilitationJ A Houtsma
Department of Engineering Technology, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 220:715-8. 2006..Consequences for the therapeutic value are subject to further research...
- A simple device to assess and train motor coordinationJ S Petrofsky
Department of Physical Therapy, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, California 92350, USA
J Med Eng Technol 28:67-73. 2004..The purpose of this project was to develop a computer program which can be used on a laptop or other IBM-based computer to assess and train motor coordination in children with closed head trauma or cerebral palsy...
- Noninvasive transesophageal cardiac thermal ablation using a 2-D focused, ultrasound phased array: a simulation studyXiangtao Yin
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control 53:1138-49. 2006..As a first step toward feasibility, controllable tissue coagulation in cardiac tissue without damage to the esophagus was demonstrated numerically...
- Standing-up robot: an assistive rehabilitative device for training and assessmentR Kamnik
University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Trzaska 25, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
J Med Eng Technol 28:74-80. 2004..The results show that the device can be used efficiently for training and evaluation of standing up manoeuvres...
- A virtual reality environment for designing and fitting neural prosthetic limbsMarkus Hauschild
Alfred Mann Institute at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:9-15. 2007..The system is used both by engineers as a development tool and by clinicians to fit prosthetic devices to patients...
- Telerehabilitation using the Rutgers Master II glove following carpal tunnel release surgery: proof-of-conceptAndrew Heuser
INTEGRIS TeleHealth and Neuroscience Institute, Oklahoma City, OK 73109, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:43-9. 2007..When asked whether they would recommend the virtual reality exercises to others, four subjects very strongly agreed and one strongly agreed that they would...
- Transcutaneous electrical stimulation technology for functional electrical therapy applicationsMilos R Popovic
Inst of Biomater and Biomed Eng, Toronto Univ, Ont M5S 3G9, Canada
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:2142-5. 2006..The Compex Motion system was used as a FET device with more than 60 acute and chronic stroke and spinal cord injured (SCI) patients...
- Feasibility study of TheraDrive: a low-cost game-based environment for the delivery of upper arm stroke therapyMichelle J Johnson
Dept of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:695-8. 2006..However, further work is needed to improve the system's ability to increase motor function in the impaired arm...
- Assessment of motion of a swing leg and gait rehabilitation with a gravity balancing exoskeletonSunil K Agrawal
Mechanical Systems Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:410-20. 2007..Currently, training studies are underway to assess the long-term effects of such a device on gait rehabilitation of hemiparetic stroke patients...
- A robot and control algorithm that can synchronously assist in naturalistic motion during body-weight-supported gait training following neurologic injuryDaisuke Aoyagi
Los Amigos Research and Education Institute, Downey, CA 90242, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:387-400. 2007....
- Design and evaluation of the LOPES exoskeleton robot for interactive gait rehabilitationJan F Veneman
Institute for Biomedical Technology BMTI, University of Twente, 7500 EA Enschede, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:379-86. 2007..The possibilities and limitations to using the device as gait measurement tool are also shown at the moment position measurements are not accurate enough for inverse-dynamical gait analysis...
- Design and validation of a rehabilitation robotic exoskeleton for tremor assessment and suppressionE Rocon
Biomedical Engineering Group at Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Madrid 28500, Spain
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:367-78. 2007..Results from experiments using these two strategies on patients with tremor are summarized. Finally, results from clinical trials are presented, which indicate the feasibility of ambulatory mechanical suppression of tremor...
- Design and control of RUPERT: a device for robotic upper extremity repetitive therapyThomas G Sugar
Department of Engineering, Arizona State University, Mesa, AZ 85287, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:336-46. 2007..The future improvement of the device involves increased degrees-of-freedom and interactive control to adapt to a user's physical conditions...
- Robot-aided neurorehabilitation: a robot for wrist rehabilitationHermano Igo Krebs
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:327-35. 2007..Here, we report on the initial results on 36 of these volunteers. These results demonstrate that further improvement should be expected by adding additional training to other limb segments...
- Thermal therapy for breast tumors by using a cylindrical ultrasound phased array with multifocus pattern scanning: a preliminary numerical studyCheng Shiao Ho
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Phys Med Biol 52:4585-99. 2007..This study demonstrated that the proposed cylindrical ultrasound phased array can provide effective heating for breast tumor thermal therapy without overheating the skin and ribs within a reasonable treatment time...
- A technique for measuring contact force distribution in minimally invasive surgical proceduresP N Brett
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Bristol
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 211:309-16. 1997..The sensor construction is of sufficiently low cost to produce a disposable unit and uses materials that are compatible with the invasive working environment...
- The Probot--an active robot for prostate resectionS J Harris
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 211:317-25. 1997..The Probot system consists of on-line imaging and three-dimensional prostate model construction, an appropriate surgeon-computer interface, a counterbalanced mounting frame and a computer controlled robot...
- User-modulated impedance control of a prosthetic elbow in unconstrained, perturbed motionJonathan W Sensinger
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Neural Engineering Center for Artificial Limbs, 345 East Superior Street, Room 1309, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 55:1043-55. 2008..The results indicate that subjects do not actively modulate impedance if it is near a preferred baseline. Fixed impedance and viscosity modulation provide the most accurate control...
- Electrooculogram wheelchair controlGavin R Philips
University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming, USA
Biomed Sci Instrum 43:164-9. 2007..Finally, an ultra-sonic rangefinder was added to provide an extra measure of safety, alerting the user to sudden changes in grade. This is part of an ongoing project to allow greater independence for those with special needs...
- The reference ear modeling method for internally feedback controlled digital hearing aid chipSunyoung Kim
Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, 373 1, Guseong Dong, Yuseong Gu, Daejeon, 305 701, Republic of Korea
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:5799-802. 2007..The digital hearing aid chip with reference ear model is fabricated in 0.18 microm CMOS technology, has a core area of 3.1 mm x 1.2 mm and dissipates less than 120 muA...
- In vivo measurement of parameters of dosimetric importance during interstitial photodynamic therapy of thick skin tumorsAnn Johansson
Lund Institute of Technology, Department of Physics, Lund, Sweden
J Biomed Opt 11:34029. 2006..Simultaneous study of the fluence rate, sensitizer fluorescence, and local tissue oxygen saturation level may contribute to the understanding of the threshold dose for photodynamic therapy...
- The Neurochip BCI: towards a neural prosthesis for upper limb functionAndrew Jackson
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 14:187-90. 2006..These observations suggest that spinal microstimulation controlled by cortical neurons could help compensate for damaged corticospinal projections...
- The development of virtual reality therapy (VRT) system for the treatment of acrophobia and therapeutic caseDong P Jang
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 6:213-7. 2002....
- Finite-element analysis of temperature rise and lesion formation from catheter ultrasound ablation transducersKenneth L Gentry
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, NC, USA
IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control 52:1713-21. 2005..The model then is used to design a new ultrasound catheter with a 7.5 MHz linear phased array for ablation. Eight designs are modeled, and acoustic intensity, temperature rise, and ablation ability are compared...
- Modular transcutaneous functional electrical stimulation systemMilos R Popovic
Rehabilitation Engineering Laboratory, Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, 4 Taddle Creek Road, Room 407, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5S 3G9
Med Eng Phys 27:81-92. 2005..To the best of our knowledge an FES system that has similar capabilities does not exist yet...
- A system for the delivery of programmable, adaptive stimulation intensity envelopes for drop foot correction applicationsP P Breen
Biomedical Electronics Laboratory, Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, University of Limerick, National Technological Park, Limerick, Ireland
Med Eng Phys 28:177-86. 2006..The developed system has a built-in algorithm to dynamically adjust the delivery of stimulus to reflect changes both within the gait cycle and from cycle to cycle. Thus, adaptive control of stimulus intensity is achieved...
- A wavelet-like filter based on neuron action potentials for analysis of human scalp electroencephalographsElena L Glassman
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 52:1851-62. 2005..Phenomena shown only in maps of discriminatory EEG activity may explain why the SNAP appears to have promise for improving EEG wavelet analysis. It represents the initial exploration of a potential family of EEG-specific wavelets...
- Focused beam control for ultrasound surgery with spherical-section phased array: sound field calculation and genetic optimization algorithmMingzhu Lu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, School of Life Science and Technology, The Key Laboratory of Biomedical Information Engineering of Ministry of Education, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, P R China
IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control 52:1270-90. 2005..The experiment and simulation results of 16-element array actually confirm the feasibility of the combined method...
- Experimental results using force-feedback cueing in robot-assisted stroke therapyMichelle J Johnson
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 13:335-48. 2005..Results were verified using surface electromyograms recorded from key muscles in the impaired arm...
- An ultrasound wearable system for the monitoring and acceleration of fracture healing in long bonesVasilios C Protopappas
Department of Medical Physics, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Greece
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 52:1597-608. 2005..699 to 0.814. The USBone system constitutes the first telemedicine system for the out-hospital management of patients sustained open fractures and treated with external fixation devices...
- Compliant grasp in a myoelectric hand prosthesis. Controlling flexion angle and compliance with electromyogram signalsRyuhei Okuno
Department of Bioinformatics Engineering, Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, Osaka University, Suita, Japan
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 24:48-56. 2005
- A haptic-robotic platform for upper-limb reaching stroke therapy: preliminary design and evaluation resultsPaul Lam
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, M5S 3G9, Canada
J Neuroeng Rehabil 5:15. 2008....
- The haemodynamics of endovascular aneurysm treatment: a computational modelling approach for estimating the influence of multiple coil deploymentNikolaos M P Kakalis
Department of Engineering Science and the Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3PJ, UK
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 27:814-24. 2008....
- Clinical system for interstitial photodynamic therapy with combined on-line dosimetry measurementsMarcelo Soto Thompson
Department of Physics, Lund Institute of Technology, PO Box 118, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Appl Opt 44:4023-31. 2005....
- [Technical requirements for early defibrillation: what are the capabilities of automated external defibrillators]C W Israel
J W Goethe Universitätsklinik, medizinische Klinik III Kardiologie, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Herzschrittmacherther Elektrophysiol 16:84-93. 2005..Currently available AEDs surpass performance goals of the AHA. However, all devices exhibit advantages and disadvantages which will be discussed in this review...
- Stair climbing is more critical than walking in pre-clinical assessment of primary stability in cementless THA in vitroJean Pierre Kassi
Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, Charite, Musculoskeletal Research Center Berlin, Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Charite, University Medicine Berlin, Campus Virchow Clinlic, Augustenburger Platz 1, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Biomech 38:1143-54. 2005..Pre-clinical in vitro tests should therefore simulate stair climbing and include muscle activity in the assessment of initial implant stability, otherwise micro-movements may be underestimated and the primary stability overestimated...
- A robotic vehicle for disabled children. Providing assisted mobility with the PALMA projectRamón Ceres
Systems Department, Instituto de Automática Industrial IAI, Spanish National Council for Science Research CSIC
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 24:55-63. 2005
- Design and quantitative evaluation of a stance-phase controlled prosthetic knee joint for childrenJan Andrysek
Research Institute, Bloorview MacMillan Children s Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 13:437-43. 2005..No differences were evident for stance-phase stability during running, walking on uneven terrain, ambulating up and down stairs and inclines, fatigue, and types of activities performed...
- A closed-loop mechanical ventilation controller with explicit objective functionsFrederico C Jandre
Biomedical Engineering Program COPPE, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21945 970, Brazil
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:823-31. 2004..Multiple dependencies linking the involved variables are discussed. The present controller can help to implement and evaluate objective functions that meet clinical goals...
- 'Putting it on the table': direct-manipulative interaction and multi-user display technologies for semi-immersive environments and augmented reality applicationsL Miguel Encarnação
Human Media Technologies, Fraunhofer Centerfor Research in Computer Graphics, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 85:137-40. 2002....
- A robotic voice simulator and the interactive training for hearing-impaired peopleHideyuki Sawada
Department of Intelligent Mechanical Systems Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Kagawa University, Japan
J Biomed Biotechnol 2008:768232. 2008..Then the training system is described, together with the evaluation of the speech training by auditory impaired people...
- USING COMPUTER-ASSISTED THERAPY IN WEIGHT MANAGEMENTJanet Waters; Fiscal Year: 1990..Potential applications are foreseen in clinical, community, and research settings, and with free living populations...
- DISADVANTAGED YOUTH AND ALCOHOL ABUSE PREVENTIONSteven Schinke; Fiscal Year: 2009..Tracking provisions are in place to retain the sample throughout the second 5 years of funding. ..
- Drug Abuse Prevention: A Mother-Daughter InterventionSteven Schinke; Fiscal Year: 2009..Follow-up in the last 36 months will involve longitudinal measurements of girls and mothers, booster 1 delivery, booster 2 development and delivery, and data analyses. ..
- Maximizing CBT's Efficacy with Medication & CMKathleen Carroll; Fiscal Year: 2009..Variables assessing theoretical mechanisms of action will be assessed monthly during treatment. ..
- RE-AIM Evaluation of Tailored Smoking Harm ReductionRussell Glasgow; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Interactive Mature-Driver Safety and Decision CourseBRIAN DANAHER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The underlying theories for supporting behavior change are the Theory of Reasoned Action and Social Cognitive Theory. Phase I will target female mature-drivers and will be evaluated in a randomized trial. ..
- Pregnancy Prevention Program for the Learning DisabledBRIAN DANAHER; Fiscal Year: 2002..This product will be attractive to people with learning disabilities and anyone serving this population (e.g., parents, schools, training centers, vocational and residential services, public health clinics, and group homes). ..
- Cognitive Enhancer May Facilitate Behavioral ExposureBarbara O Rothbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- REVAMP Follow-up Study RenewalBarbara Rothbaum; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Computerized population Programs for Three Cancer RisksWayne Velicer; Fiscal Year: 2005..The 3 interventions evaluated in this project have the potential to be easily disseminated at low costs to entire populations of at-risk individuals. ..
- SINGLE CHANNEL HYBRID FES GAIT SYSTEMWilliam Durfee; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed approach for FES-aided gait is new and may provide choices for a wider pool of people with SCI than current solutions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Translational Research on Extinction and PTSDBarbara Rothbaum; Fiscal Year: 2005..Currently, no such interventions with proven efficacy exist. ..
- IMAGE GUIDED THERAPY CENTERFerenc Jolesz; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Real-Time Model-Based Gait Retraining for Knee Osteoarthritis RehabilitationBenjamin Fregly; Fiscal Year: 2008..If successful, the approach would allow many patients to delay or possibly even avoid the need for knee replacement surgery in the future. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Tailored Interventions to Prevent Substance AbuseWayne F Velicer; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Intraoperative 3T MRI Scanner for Minimally Invasive TherapyFerenc Jolesz; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Virtuality Reality Cue Exposure for Crack CocaineBarbara Rothbaum; Fiscal Year: 2003..The long-term objectives to be achieved in Phase II include the development and testing of the treatment of crack cocaine dependence using VR cue exposure therapy in a controlled design. ..
- DRIVING SIMULATOR FOR PERSONS WITH IMPAIRED COGNITIONWilliam Durfee; Fiscal Year: 2004..At the end of Phase II, the applicant company (STI) will be prepared to move into a commercialization phase to bring the STISIM simulator into the rehabilitation market. ..
- Low Impedance Electrodes for Neural StimulationWARREN GRILL; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will reduce the risks and costs associated with surgical replacement of implanted stimulators due to depletion of the batteries. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- IVR for Automated Alcohol Screening & BI in Primary CareJohn Helzer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Although this is not an efficacy study, we will also assess whether the IVR-BI has a short-term impact on alcohol consumption in this small feasibility sample. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Randomized Trial of Tinnitus Retraining TherapyRichard Tyler; Fiscal Year: 2008..If TRT is shown to be no more effective than masking or counseling, professionals should focus on more efficient therapeutic techniques. This experiment will test the neurophysiological model of tinnitus. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SMS Turkey: Harnessing the power of TXT messaging to promote smoking cessationMichele Ybarra; Fiscal Year: 2010..The high reach of cell phones allows us to potentially reach smokers who would otherwise not utilize traditional smoking cessation services, representing the possibility of a large public health impact. ..
- An Internet-based intervention for problem drinkingJohn Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2008..Secondary hypotheses will address the mediating or moderating role of perceived drinking norms, perceived risk and the problem drinker's social reasons for drinking. ..
- Evaluation of Home Automated Telemanagement in COPDJoseph Finkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, we will perform cost-effectiveness analysis of the HAT intervention in the COPD patients. ..
- Dismantling Motivational Interviewing and Feedback for College DrinkersScott Walters; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- REVAMP Follow-UpMadhukar Trivedi; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Cocaine Withdrawal and Pharmacotherapy ResponseMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal, by testing the efficacy of carvedilol and investigating the influence of withdrawal severity on carvedilol's efficacy, may result in development of more effective treatments for cocaine addiction. ..
- Therapeutic Interactive Voice Response to Augment CBT in Alcohol DependenceJohn Helzer; Fiscal Year: 2008..The public health implications of effective, low cost interventions for alcohol dependence that can be accessed remotely are considerable. ..
- Employment-Based Addiction PharmacotherapyKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Computer-based brief intervention for perinatal drug, alcohol, and tobacco abuseSteven Ondersma; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research could enhance public health by making available an effective, practical, low-cost, and high-reach intervention for all forms of perinatal substance abuse. ..
- Virtual Reality Technology in Neurologic RehabilitationJudith Deutsch; Fiscal Year: 2008..Dissemination of knowledge about virtual reality rehabilitation will increase the rate at which this technology can become useful for individuals with neurologic conditions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Computer-Assisted Brief Motivational Intervention for Smoking During PregnancySteven Ondersma; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is hoped that such a simplified, computer- based system will promote the widespread adoption of effective smoking cessation activities in prenatal clinics. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Improving Mental Health Outcomes of Child Brain InjuryShari L Wade; Fiscal Year: 2010..Findings will shed light on treatment processes and mechanisms by identifying factors that mediate and moderate treatment response. ..
- Hypertension Telemanagement in African AmericansJoseph Finkelstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, we will perform cost-effectiveness analysis of the HAT intervention in the African American patients with hypertension. ..
- Tobacco World: Interactive Tobacco Education for TeensHerbert Severson; Fiscal Year: 2007..A companion website will offer administrative and scoring feedback to teachers via the Internet. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Virtual Reality Augmented Cycling for Post-Stroke Mobility RehabilitationJudith Deutsch; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A THERAPEUTIC WORKPLACE FOR HOMELESS ALCOHOLICSKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- INTERVENTIONS TO REDUCE EATING DISORDER RISK FACTORSC Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2004..The application focuses on issues relevant to recently described NIMH priorities in prevention. Developing and evaluating interventions to reduce eating disorders in this high-risk population is of extreme public health importance. ..
- Sensory-enhanced motor training for hemiparetic arm/handWen Liu; Fiscal Year: 2004..The effect of enhanced sensory inputs will be determined through the comparison of outcomes of the two training programs. ..
- Effects of Bromocriptine on Aphasia Treatment OutcomeLeora Cherney; Fiscal Year: 2003..Language performance will also be measured at three and six months after completion of treatment to answer the secondary questions regarding maintenance of language improvements. ..
- THERAPY DEVELOPMENT FOR MENTALLY ILL DRUG ABUSERSKate Carey; Fiscal Year: 2003..This award would allow the applicant protected time (teaching relief and summer support) to continue to develop her research on the treatment of substance abuse among the severely mentally ill. ..
- A home-based behavioral treatment for cigarette smokingJesse Dallery; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- SOFTWARE ARCHITECTURE FOR GUIDELINE DIRECTED THERAPYMark Musen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ONTOGENY OF GABAA RECEPTOR COMPLEX MEASURED WITH PETOtto Muzik; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- BION Treatment of Neuromuscular DysfunctionGerald Loeb; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- BRAIN-COMPUTER INTERFACES FOR COMMUNICATION AND CONTROLTHERESA VAUGHAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..This meeting should greatly encourage and facilitate continued BCI research and development. ..
- Impulsivity and Treatments for Relapse Prevention in SmoJesse Dallery; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., cue exposure, contextual factors, nicotine deprivation, drugs of abuse, pharmacotherapies, stress, etc) affect the impulsive choices that lead to or prevent relapse. ..
- Image-guided Fetal Cardiac InterventionJohn Triedman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- EVALUATION OF SELF HELP SMOKEELESS TOBACCO CESSATIONHerbert Severson; Fiscal Year: 2001..Data from this study can significantly contribute to our understanding of how to provide effective, low-intensity programs to help adults quit their use of snuff or chewing tobacco. ..
- NON-REGULAR STIMULATION PATTERNS FOR DEEP BRAIN STIMULATIONWARREN GRILL; Fiscal Year: 2007..The second outcome will be novel pulse patterns that are expected to improve outcomes of DBS by reducing side effects and prolonging battery life. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- VIRTUAL REALITY IN BALANCE DISORDERSSusan Whitney; Fiscal Year: 2007..The data derived from the above three goals will help direct a randomized clinical trial that will assist in determining if virtual reality is an effective method of intervention with persons with vestibular dysfunction. ..
- BION Treatment of Neuromuscular DysfunctionGerald Loeb; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Phased Array Ultrasound System for Cardiac AblationKullervo Hynynen; Fiscal Year: 2006..This could result in significant cost savings and lead to a cure of thousands of patients. ..
- A REINFORCEMENT-BASED THERAPEUTIC WORKPLACEKenneth Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2006..This research could provide firm scientific foundation for the dissemination of Therapeutic Workplace businesses in the long-term treatment of cocaine addiction and unemployment. ..
- Treatment with Exercise Augmentation for DepressionMadhukar Trivedi; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- SELF DETERMINATION, SMOKING, DIET, AND HEALTHGeoffrey Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Third International BCI MeetingTHERESA VAUGHAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Virtual Reality Analgesia for Procedural Cancer PainSam Sharar; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- HCV Treatment Cost-Effectiveness in 3 IDU PopulationsBRUCE SCHACKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Toolkits-Will Implementing an Evidence-Based Curriculum Improve Group Counseling?Adam C Brooks; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Local harmonic motion imaging for thermal surgeryKullervo Hynynen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Therefore the potential clinical impact of the proposed research is significant. ..
- Transducer for indirect blood pressure& O2 saturationLeslie Geddes; Fiscal Year: 2005..The neonatologist, the premature infant physician and the small-infant pediatrician have no single instrument that provides all of these vital signs. ..
- Force and Measurement Device - Phase IIRory Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2003..g. playgrounds, parks, etc.). ..