Genomes and Genes
Summary: Therapy using oral or topical photosensitizing agents with subsequent exposure to light.
Publications340 found, 100 shown here
- Photodynamic therapy of cancer: an updatePatrizia Agostinis
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Cell Death Research and Therapy Laboratory, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
CA Cancer J Clin 61:250-81. 2011..With a number of recent technological improvements, PDT has the potential to become integrated into the mainstream of cancer treatment...
- Photodynamic therapy for cancerDennis E J G J Dolmans
Edwin L Steele Laboratory for Tumor Biology, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 3:380-7. 2003..How does PDT work, and how can it be used to treat cancer and other diseases?..
- Collagen crosslinking with riboflavin and ultraviolet-A light in keratoconus: long-term resultsFrederik Raiskup-Wolf
Department of Ophthalmology, C G Carus University Hospital, Dresden, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:796-801. 2008..To prove the long-term dampening effect of riboflavin- and ultraviolet-A-induced collagen crosslinking on progressive keratoconus...
- Safety of UVA-riboflavin cross-linking of the corneaEberhard Spoerl
Department of Ophthalmology, Universitatsklinikum Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Cornea 26:385-9. 2007..To study potential damage to ocular tissue during corneal collagen cross-linking (X-linking) by means of the riboflavin/UVA (370 nm) approach...
- Photophysics and photochemistry of photodynamic therapy: fundamental aspectsK Plaetzer
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstrasse 34, 5020, Salzburg, Austria
Lasers Med Sci 24:259-68. 2009..e. tumor-centered approach with a focus on the actual clinical requirements of the respective tumor type...
- Photodynamic therapy and anti-tumour immunityAna P Castano
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 6:535-45. 2006....
- Photodynamic therapy: a new antimicrobial approach to infectious disease?Michael R Hamblin
Wellman Laboratories of Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Photochem Photobiol Sci 3:436-50. 2004....
- Pegaptanib for neovascular age-related macular degenerationEvangelos S Gragoudas
Retina Service, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Harvard Medical School, 243 Charles St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 351:2805-16. 2004..Pegaptanib, an anti-vascular endothelial growth factor therapy, was evaluated in the treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration...
- Gold nanorod-photosensitizer complex for near-infrared fluorescence imaging and photodynamic/photothermal therapy in vivoBoseung Jang
Molecular Imaging and Therapy Branch, National Cancer Center, 111 Jungbalsan ro, Ilsandong gu, Goyang, Gyeonggi do 410 769, South Korea
ACS Nano 5:1086-94. 2011..This novel multifunctional nanomedicine may be useful for near-infrared fluorescence imaging and PTT/PDT in various cancers...
- Long-term results of riboflavin ultraviolet a corneal collagen cross-linking for keratoconus in Italy: the Siena eye cross studyAldo Caporossi
Department of Ophthalmology and Neurosurgery, Santa Maria delle Scotte Hospital, Siena University, Siena, Italy
Am J Ophthalmol 149:585-93. 2010..To report the long-term results of 44 keratoconic eyes treated by combined riboflavin ultraviolet A collagen cross-linking in the first Italian open, nonrandomized phase II clinical trial, the Siena Eye Cross Study...
- Photodynamic inactivation of multi-resistant bacteria (PIB) - a new approach to treat superficial infections in the 21st centuryTim Maisch
Department of Dermatology, University of Regensburg, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 9:360-6. 2011..In this review the physical-chemical and biological basics of photo-dynamic inactivation of bacteria (PIB) will be discussed as well as the possible dermatological indications...
- Novel development of 5-aminolevurinic acid (ALA) in cancer diagnoses and therapyMasahiro Ishizuka
SBI ALApromo Co, LTD Roppongi 1 6 1, Minato ku, Tokyo 106 6019, Japan
Int Immunopharmacol 11:358-65. 2011..In this review, the biological significance of heme metabolites, the mechanism of PpIX accumulation in tumor cells, and the therapeutic potential of ALA-induced PDT alone and combined with hyperthermia and immunotherapy are discussed...
- Comparative characterization of the efficiency and cellular pharmacokinetics of Foscan- and Foslip-based photodynamic treatment in human biliary tract cancer cell linesTobias Kiesslich
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstrasse 34, 5020, Salzburg, Austria
Photochem Photobiol Sci 6:619-27. 2007....
- Cancer cell-selective in vivo near infrared photoimmunotherapy targeting specific membrane moleculesMakoto Mitsunaga
Molecular Imaging Program, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, US National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Nat Med 17:1685-91. 2011..Target-selective PIT enables treatment of cancer based on mAb binding to the cell membrane...
- Molecular effectors of multiple cell death pathways initiated by photodynamic therapyEsther Buytaert
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000, Leuven Belgium
Biochim Biophys Acta 1776:86-107. 2007..This review highlights recent developments aimed at deciphering the molecular interplay between cell death pathways as well as their possible therapeutic exploitation in photosensitized cells...
- Parasurgical therapy for keratoconus by riboflavin-ultraviolet type A rays induced cross-linking of corneal collagen: preliminary refractive results in an Italian studyAldo Caporossi
Department of Ophthalmological and Neurosurgical Sciences, Siena University, Siena, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:837-45. 2006..To assess the effectiveness of riboflavin-ultraviolet type A rays induced cross-linking of corneal collagen in reducing progression of keratoconus and in improving visual acuity in patients with progressive keratoconus...
- Effect of 5-aminolevulinic acid-based photodynamic therapy via reactive oxygen species in human cholangiocarcinoma cellsCy Hyun Kim
National Research and Development Center for Hepatobiliary Cancer, Research Institute for Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Yangsan, Republic of Korea
Int J Nanomedicine 6:1357-63. 2011..Furthermore, an increased amount of PpIX in HuCC-T1 cells induced increased production of ROS by irradiation, resulting in increased phototoxicity...
- A systematic review of photodynamic therapy in the treatment of pre-cancerous skin conditions, Barrett's oesophagus and cancers of the biliary tract, brain, head and neck, lung, oesophagus and skinD Fayter
Centre for Reviews and Dissemination CRD, University of York, York, UK
Health Technol Assess 14:1-288. 2010..PDT is used either as a primary treatment or as an adjunctive treatment. It is fairly well accepted in clinical practice for some types of skin cancer but has yet to be fully explored as a treatment for other forms of cancer...
- Ranibizumab for predominantly classic neovascular age-related macular degeneration: subgroup analysis of first-year ANCHOR resultsPeter K Kaiser
Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 144:850-857. 2007....
- The present and future role of photodynamic therapy in cancer treatmentStanley B Brown
Centre for Photobiology and Photodynamic Therapy, School of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Leeds, UK
Lancet Oncol 5:497-508. 2004..Here, we review current use of PDT in oncology and look at its future potential as more selective photosensitising drugs become available...
- Complement factor H and high-temperature requirement A-1 genotypes and treatment response of age-related macular degenerationTakashi Tsuchihashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Saitama Medical University, Iruma, Saitama, Japan
Ophthalmology 118:93-100. 2011....
- Nanoparticles in photodynamic therapy: an emerging paradigmDev Kumar Chatterjee
Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, 117574, Singapore
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 60:1627-37. 2008..Although several challenges remain before they can be adopted for clinical use, these active or second-generation PDT nanoparticles probably offer the best hope for extending the reach of PDT to regions deep in the body...
- Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy (PACT)M Wainwright
Department of Chemistry, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 42:13-28. 1998..PACT is proposed as a potential, low-cost approach to the treatment of locally occurring infection...
- The role of apoptosis in response to photodynamic therapy: what, where, why, and howNancy L Oleinick
Department of Radiation Oncology and the CWRU UHC Ireland Comprehensive Cancer Center, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Photochem Photobiol Sci 1:1-21. 2002..necrotic pathway and for producing tumor ablation in conjunction with tissue-level mechanisms operating in vivo...
- Collagen crosslinking with ultraviolet-A and hypoosmolar riboflavin solution in thin corneasFarhad Hafezi
Institute for Refractive and Ophthalmic Surgery, Zurich, Switzerland
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:621-4. 2009..Preoperative swelling of the cornea safely broadens the spectrum of CXL indications to thin corneas that would otherwise not be eligible for treatment...
- A randomized controlled trial of corneal collagen cross-linking in progressive keratoconus: preliminary resultsChristine Wittig-Silva
Centre for Eye Research Australia, East Melbourne, Australia
J Refract Surg 24:S720-5. 2008..This prospective, randomized, controlled trial aims to provide evidence in relation to the efficacy and safety of corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) in the management of progressive keratoconus...
- Intracellular photodynamic therapy with photosensitizer-nanoparticle conjugates: cancer therapy using a 'Trojan horse'Martina E Wieder
School of Chemical Sciences and Pharmacy, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK NR4 7TJ
Photochem Photobiol Sci 5:727-34. 2006..Our results suggest that gold nanoparticle conjugates are an excellent vehicle for the delivery of surface bound hydrophobic photosensitizers for efficacious photodynamic therapy of cultured tumour cells...
- DAMPs and PDT-mediated photo-oxidative stress: exploring the unknownAbhishek D Garg
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Catholic University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Photochem Photobiol Sci 10:670-80. 2011..We also discuss how certain PDT paradigms may yield therapies that optimally stimulate the immune system and lead to the discovery of new DAMPs...
- State of the art in the delivery of photosensitizers for photodynamic therapyYvette Niamien Konan
University of Geneva, School of Pharmacy, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Photochem Photobiol B 66:89-106. 2002..Specific targeting can also be achieved by binding of monoclonal antibodies or specific tumour-seeking molecules to PS or by the coating of PS loaded carriers...
- Crosslinking treatment of progressive keratoconus: new hopeGregor Wollensak
Department of Ophthalmology, Universitatsklinikum CGC, Dresden, Germany
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 17:356-60. 2006..Biomechanical measurements have shown an impressive increase in corneal rigidity of 328.9% in human corneas after crosslinking...
- In vivo killing of Porphyromonas gingivalis by toluidine blue-mediated photosensitization in an animal modelN Komerik
Department of Microbiology, Eastman Dental Institute for Oral Health Care Sciences, University College London, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:932-40. 2003..gingivalis is possible in vivo and that this results in decreased bone loss. These findings suggest that photodynamic therapy may be useful as an alternative approach for the antimicrobial treatment of periodontitis...
- Ultraviolet A/riboflavin corneal cross-linking for infectious keratitis associated with corneal meltsHans Peter Iseli
Institute of Refractive and Ophthalmic Surgery, Zurich, Switzerland
Cornea 27:590-4. 2008..To evaluate the efficacy of ultraviolet-corneal cross-linking (CXL) for treating infectious melting keratitis...
- Role of cytokines in photodynamic therapy-induced local and systemic inflammationS O Gollnick
PDT Center, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton St, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Br J Cancer 88:1772-9. 2003..They also lay the mechanistic groundwork for further ongoing studies that attempt to optimise PDT through the modulation of the critical inflammatory mediators...
- Hematoporphyrin monomethyl ether photodynamic damage on HeLa cells by means of reactive oxygen species production and cytosolic free calcium concentration elevationXinmin Ding
Department of Laser Medicine, Chinese PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China
Cancer Lett 216:43-54. 2004..These results demonstrated that ROS generated in HeLa cells by HMME-PDT-induced apoptosis may be through [Ca2+]i elevation which mediates Cyto C release and Caspase-3 activition and initiates the subsequent late stages of apoptosis...
- Porphyrin and nonporphyrin photosensitizers in oncology: preclinical and clinical advances in photodynamic therapyAisling E O'Connor
UCD School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science, UCD Conway Institute, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin, Ireland
Photochem Photobiol 85:1053-74. 2009..The aim of this review is to provide an insight into PDT photosensitizers clinically approved for application in oncology, as well as those which show significant potential in ongoing preclinical studies...
- Photodynamic therapy: illuminating the road from cell death towards anti-tumour immunityAbhishek D Garg
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
Apoptosis 15:1050-71. 2010..The ability of PDT to expose/release DAMPs and the future perspectives of this paradigm have also been discussed...
- The physics, biophysics and technology of photodynamic therapyBrian C Wilson
Division of Biophysics and Bioimaging, Ontario Cancer Institute and Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Phys Med Biol 53:R61-109. 2008..The final section of the review introduces some new frontiers of research including low dose rate (metronomic) PDT, two-photon PDT, activatable PDT molecular beacons and nanoparticle-based PDT...
- Polypoidal choroidal vasculopathyAntonio P Ciardella
The LuEsther T Mertz Retinal Research Center, Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital, New York, New York 10021, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 49:25-37. 2004....
- An update on photodynamic therapy applicationsThomas J Dougherty
Photodynamic Therapy Center, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
J Clin Laser Med Surg 20:3-7. 2002..This review updates the current and future role of PDT in cancer and other diseases...
- Current clinical and preclinical photosensitizers for use in photodynamic therapyMichael R Detty
Department of Chemistry, University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14260 3000, USA
J Med Chem 47:3897-915. 2004
- Collagen cross-linking in early keratoconus with riboflavin in a femtosecond laser-created pocket: initial clinical resultsAnastasios John Kanellopoulos
Laservision gr Institute, Athens, Greece
J Refract Surg 25:1034-7. 2009..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of a novel femtosecond laser-assisted technique for intrastromal administration of riboflavin and higher fluence ultraviolet a (UVA) light in collagen cross-linking (CXL) for keratoconus...
- Nanoparticles as vehicles for delivery of photodynamic therapy agentsDenise Bechet
Centre de Recherche en Automatique de Nancy, Nancy University, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
Trends Biotechnol 26:612-21. 2008..Finally, we summarize exciting new results concerning the improvement of the photophysical properties of nanoparticles by means of biphotonic absorption and upconversion...
- Photodynamic therapy for typical age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy: a 30-month multicenter study in Hyogo, JapanShigeru Honda
Department of Surgery, Division of Ophthalmology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, and Department of Ophthalmology, Kobe City General Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 53:593-7. 2009..To evaluate the long-term effects of photodynamic therapy (PDT) on different phenotypes of age-related macular degeneration (AMD): typical AMD (tAMD) and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV)...
- A new strategy to destroy antibiotic resistant microorganisms: antimicrobial photodynamic treatmentTim Maisch
Antimicrobial PDT, Clinic and Polyclinic for Dermatology, Regensburg University Hospital, Germany, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, 93053 Regensburg, Germany
Mini Rev Med Chem 9:974-83. 2009....
- Photodynamic therapy enhancement of antitumor immunity is regulated by neutrophilsPhilaretos C Kousis
Department of Cell Stress Biology and the Photodynamic Therapy Center, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Cancer Res 67:10501-10. 2007..Immune-enhancing PDT regimens may then be combined with treatments that result in optimal ablation of primary tumors, thus inhibiting growth of primary tumor and controlling disseminated disease...
- The history of photodetection and photodynamic therapyR Ackroyd
Section of Surgical and Anesthetic Sciences, Division of Clinical Sciences, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Photochem Photobiol 74:656-69. 2001..as Finsen, Raab and Von Tappeiner, the combination of light and drug administration led to the emergence of photochemotherapy as a therapeutic tool...
- Nanoparticle-mediated combination chemotherapy and photodynamic therapy overcomes tumor drug resistance in vitroAyman Khdair
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 71:214-22. 2009..In conclusion, nanoparticle-mediated combination chemotherapy and PDT using doxorubicin and methylene blue was able to overcome resistance mechanisms and resulted in improved cytotoxicity in drug-resistant tumor cells...
- One-year outcomes of photodynamic therapy in age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy in Japanese patientsFumi Gomi
Department of Ophthalmology, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Ophthalmology 115:141-6. 2008....
- Complication and failure rates after corneal crosslinkingTobias Koller
From Institut für Refraktive und Ophthalmo Chirurgie, Zurich, Switzerland
J Cataract Refract Surg 35:1358-62. 2009..To evaluate the complication rate of corneal crosslinking (CXL) for primary keratectasia and to develop recommendations for avoiding complications...
- A spectroscopic study of the photobleaching of protoporphyrin IX in solutionM B Ericson
Department of Experimental Physics, School of Physics and Engineering Physics, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg University, SE 412 96 Goteborg, Sweden
Lasers Med Sci 18:56-62. 2003..When comparing our results to the studies carried out by N(2) bubbling, the N(2) bubbling seems to be insufficient to remove the oxygen completely from the solution...
- Collagen cross-linking (CCL) with sequential topography-guided PRK: a temporizing alternative for keratoconus to penetrating keratoplastyA John Kanellopoulos
Laservision gr Institute, Athens, Greece
Cornea 26:891-5. 2007..To assess the effectiveness of ultraviolet A (UVA) irradiation-induced collagen cross-linking (CCL) on keratoconus (KC) progression...
- New two-photon activated photodynamic therapy sensitizers induce xenograft tumor regressions after near-IR laser treatment through the body of the host mouseJean R Starkey
Department of Microbiology, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:6564-73. 2008..These experiments also evaluated effects of high-energy femtosecond pulsed laser irradiation on normal tissues and characterized the response of xenograft tumors to our PDT protocols...
- In vitro demonstration of the heavy-atom effect for photodynamic therapyAoife Gorman
Centre for Synthesis and Chemical Biology, Conway Institute of Biomolecular and Biomedical Research, Department of Chemistry University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
J Am Chem Soc 126:10619-31. 2004..All photosensitizers have very low to nondeterminable dark toxicity in our assay system...
- Highly efficient drug delivery with gold nanoparticle vectors for in vivo photodynamic therapy of cancerYu Cheng
Center for Chemical Dynamics and Nanomaterials Research, Department of Chemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:10643-7. 2008..With the Au NP-Pc 4 conjugates, the drug delivery time required for PDT has been greatly reduced to less than 2 h, compared to 2 days for the free drug...
- Guidelines on the use of photodynamic therapy for nonmelanoma skin cancer: an international consensus. International Society for Photodynamic Therapy in Dermatology, 2005Lasse R Braathen
Dermatological University Clinic, Bern, Switzerland
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:125-43. 2007..PDT may also be a means of preventing certain nonmelanoma skin cancers in immunosuppressed patients...
- Forecasting age-related macular degeneration through the year 2050: the potential impact of new treatmentsDavid B Rein
Research Triangle Institute International, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 127:533-40. 2009..To forecast age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and its consequences in the United States through the year 2050 with different treatment scenarios...
- Combination of 10% EDTA, Photosan, and a blue light hand-held photopolymerizer to inactivate leading oral bacteria in dentistry in vitroT Maisch
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
J Appl Microbiol 107:1569-78. 2009....
- Single continuous wave laser induced photodynamic/plasmonic photothermal therapy using photosensitizer-functionalized gold nanostarsShouju Wang
Department of Medical Imaging, Jinling Hospital, Clinical School of Medical College, Nanjing University, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210000, China
Adv Mater 25:3055-61. 2013..The prepared GNS-PEG-Ce6 shows excellent water dispersibility, good biocompatibility, enhanced cellular uptake and remarkable anticancer efficiency upon irradiation in vivo...
- Strategies to potentiate antimicrobial photoinactivation by overcoming resistant phenotypesDomingo Mariano Adolfo Vera
Department of Chemistry, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Mar del Plata, Argentina
Photochem Photobiol 88:499-511. 2012..This review discusses the different antimicrobial PDT strategies and highlights the need for highly informative and comprehensive discovery approaches...
- Modulation of central corneal thickness by various riboflavin eyedrop compositions in porcine corneasJan M Vetter
Department of Ophthalmology, University Medical Center, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 38:525-32. 2012..To evaluate the modulatory effect of various riboflavin 0.1% and 0.2% compositions on the central corneal thickness (CCT) in fresh porcine corneas...
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms of photodynamic hypericin therapy for nasopharyngeal carcinoma cellsXiaoli Wang
School of Applied Chemistry and Biological, Shenzhen Polytechnic, Shenzhen, Guangdong, People s Republic of China
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 334:847-53. 2010..Taken together, both cellular and molecular data revealed that HY-PDT could inhibit the growth of CNE-2 cells and induce their apoptosis...
- All you need is light: antimicrobial photoinactivation as an evolving and emerging discovery strategy against infectious diseaseTyler G St Denis
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Virulence 2:509-20. 2011....
- Tumor-targeting hyaluronic acid nanoparticles for photodynamic imaging and therapyHong Yeol Yoon
Department of Polymer Science and Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon 440 746, Republic of Korea
Biomaterials 33:3980-9. 2012..Overall, it was demonstrated that Ce6-HANPs could be successfully applied to in vivo photodynamic tumor imaging and therapy simultaneously...
- Primary treatment results of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPC) in Yogyakarta, IndonesiaMaarten A Wildeman
Department of Head and Neck Oncology and Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e63706. 2013..Here we present routine treatment results in a prospective study on NPC in a top referral; university hospital in Indonesia...
- Photosensitizer encapsulated organically modified silica nanoparticles for direct two-photon photodynamic therapy and in vivo functional imagingJun Qian
Centre for Optical and Electromagnetic Research, Zhejiang Provincial Key Laboratory for Sensing Technologies, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310058, PR China
Biomaterials 33:4851-60. 2012..Finally, we showed that the nanoprobes could target the subcutaneously xenografted tumor of a mouse for long time observations. ORMOSIL nanoparticles have great potentials for disease diagnosis and clinical therapies...
- Triple-functional core-shell structured upconversion luminescent nanoparticles covalently grafted with photosensitizer for luminescent, magnetic resonance imaging and photodynamic therapy in vitroXiao Fei Qiao
Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences, State Key Laboratory of Rare Earth Materials Chemistry and Applications, PKU HKU Joint Laboratory in Rare Earth Materials and Bioinorganic Chemistry, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
Nanoscale 4:4611-23. 2012..Compared with the clinical commercial contrast agent Gd-DTPA, the as-fabricated nanomaterial showed a comparable longitudinal relaxivities value (r(1)) and similar imaging effect...
- Photodynamic therapy for infections: clinical applicationsGitika B Kharkwal
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Lasers Surg Med 43:755-67. 2011..This resurgence of interest has been partly motivated by the alarming increase in drug resistance amongst bacteria and other pathogens. This review will focus on the clinical applications of antimicrobial PDT...
- Intraoperative and postoperative effects of corneal collagen cross-linking on progressive keratoconusPaolo Vinciguerra
Department of Ophthalmology, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Via Manzoni 56, Rozzano 20089, Milan, Italy
Arch Ophthalmol 127:1258-65. 2009..To report intraoperative and 24-month refractive, topographic, tomographic, and aberrometric outcomes after corneal collagen cross-linking in progressive advanced keratoconus...
- Results of corneal collagen cross-linking in pediatric patientsRitu Arora
Furu Nanak Eye Centre, New Delhi, India
J Refract Surg 28:759-62. 2012..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL) in the treatment of keratoconus in pediatric patients...
- The pro-apoptotic and anti-invasive effects of hypericin-mediated photodynamic therapy are enhanced by hyperforin or aristoforin in HT-29 colon adenocarcinoma cellsMartina Semeláková
Institute of Biology and Ecology, Faculty of Sciences, P J Šafárik University in Košice, Moyzesova 11, 040 01 Kosice, Slovakia
J Photochem Photobiol B 117:115-25. 2012..John's wort, which are increasingly recognized as being able to regulate a variety of pathobiological processes, thus possessing potential therapeutic properties...
- Hypericin in cancer treatment: more light on the wayPatrizia Agostinis
Division of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, KULeuven, Leuven, Belgium
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 34:221-41. 2002..This review focuses on the more recent advances in the use of hypericin as a photodynamic agent and discusses the current knowledge on the signaling pathways underlying its photocytotoxic action...
- Temoporfin (Foscan®, 5,10,15,20-tetra(m-hydroxyphenyl)chlorin)--a second-generation photosensitizerMathias O Senge
Medicinal Chemistry, Institute of Molecular Medicine, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, Trinity College Dublin, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Photochem Photobiol 87:1240-96. 2011..The literature has been covered up to early 2011...
- Photodynamic therapy: novel third-generation photosensitizers one step closer?L B Josefsen
Department of Chemistry, University of Hull, Kingston upon Hull, UK
Br J Pharmacol 154:1-3. 2008..The lack of tumour specificity may have a significant impact on the potential BAM-SiPc has in clinical PDT...
- Targeted photodynamic therapy of breast cancer cells using antibody-phthalocyanine-gold nanoparticle conjugatesTanya Stuchinskaya
School of Chemistry, University of East Anglia, Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Photochem Photobiol Sci 10:822-31. 2011..Cellular experiments demonstrated that the nanoparticle conjugates selectively target breast cancer cells that overexpress the HER2 epidermal growth factor cell surface receptor, and that they are effective photodynamic therapy agents...
- Photodynamic therapy with BF-200 ALA for the treatment of actinic keratosis: results of a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III studyR M Szeimies
Department of Dermatology, Regensburg University Hospital, Regensburg, Germany
Br J Dermatol 163:386-94. 2010..Different strategies are applied to overcome the chemical instability of ALA in solution and to improve skin penetration. A new stable nanoemulsion-based ALA formulation, BF-200 ALA, is currently in clinical development for PDT of AK...
- Analysis of the bacterial heat shock response to photodynamic therapy-mediated oxidative stressTyler G St Denis
John Jay High School, Cross River, NY, USA
Photochem Photobiol 87:707-13. 2011..Induction of HSPs may be a mechanism whereby bacteria could become resistant to PDT and warrants the need for further study in the application of dual PDT-HSP-inhibition therapies...
- Targeted photodynamic therapy via receptor mediated delivery systemsWesley M Sharman
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Radiobiology, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 56:53-76. 2004..This review discusses various PS bioconjugates that utilize these factors and summarizes the results obtained to date...
- Improved photodynamic inactivation of gram-positive bacteria using hematoporphyrin encapsulated in liposomes and micellesTsuimin Tsai
Graduate Institute of Biomedical Materials and Engineering, Taipei Medical University, Taipei 110, Taiwan
Lasers Surg Med 41:316-22. 2009..To increase the efficacy of photosensitizer, hematoporphyrin (Hp) was used as a model drug and encapsulated in liposomes and micelles. The bactericidal efficacy of the carrier-entrapped Hp was assessed against gram-positive bacteria...
- Strategies for enhanced photodynamic therapy effectsSarika Verma
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Photochem Photobiol 83:996-1005. 2007....
- Photodynamic therapy for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection in a mouse skin abrasion modelTianhong Dai
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Lasers Surg Med 42:38-44. 2010..The objective of this study was to investigate the efficacy of photodynamic therapy (PDT) for the treatment of MRSA infection in skin abrasion wounds using a mouse model...
- Long-term results of salvage photodynamic therapy for patients with local failure after chemoradiotherapy for esophageal squamous cell carcinomaT Yano
Division of Digestive Endoscopy and Gastrointestinal Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Japan
Endoscopy 43:657-63. 2011..The aim of this study was to clarify the long-term results of salvage photodynamic therapy (PDT) for local failure...
- Bactericidal effect of malachite green and red laser on Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitansRenato Araujo Prates
Center for Lasers and Applications, IPEN CNEN SP, Av Prof Lineu Prestes, 2242, Cidade Universitaria, São Paulo SP 05508 000, Brazil
J Photochem Photobiol B 86:70-6. 2007..Optical absorption showed that MG is photobleached after irradiation. These results indicate that A. actinomycetemcomitans can be photosensitized by red laser combined with MG and that the dye is photodegraded following irradiation...
- Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy (PACT) with methylene blue increases membrane permeability in Candida albicansLigia Maria Giroldo
Instituto de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento IP and D, Universidade do Vale do Paraiba UNIVAP, Sao Jose dos Campos, SP, Brazil
Lasers Med Sci 24:109-12. 2009..The decrease in Candida growth was associated with an increase in membrane permeabilization. Thus, we suggest that a PACT mechanism using MB can be related to damage in the plasma membranes of the cells...
- Miconazole induces fungistasis and increases killing of Candida albicans subjected to photodynamic therapySara B Snell
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Photochem Photobiol 88:596-603. 2012..The data suggest that miconazole could be used to increase the efficacy of PDT against C. albicans, and its mechanism of action is likely to be multifactorial...
- 5-aminolevulinic acid-conjugated gold nanoparticles for photodynamic therapy of cancerMaung Kyaw Khaing Oo
Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Stevens Institute of Technology, Castle Point on Hudson, Hoboken, NJ 07030, USA
Nanomedicine (Lond) 3:777-86. 2008..Effective delivery of photosensitizer to target tumor cells that causes minimal damage to healthy cells is an important requirement in photodynamic therapy of cancer...
- Photodynamic therapy with a cationic functionalized fullerene rescues mice from fatal wound infectionsZongshun Lu
Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, 40 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Nanomedicine (Lond) 5:1525-33. 2010..We asked whether this high degree of in vitro activity would translate into an in vivo therapeutic effect in two potentially lethal mouse models of infected wounds...
- Tumor ablation with photodynamic therapy: introduction to mechanism and clinical applicationsPaul Harrod-Kim
Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Imaging Sciences, University of Rochester, Box 648, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 17:1441-8. 2006....
- Effect of surfactant on 5-aminolevulinic acid uptake and PpIX generation in human cholangiocarcinoma cellChung Wook Chung
Research Institute for Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Yangsan, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 80:453-8. 2012..Cotreatment with the surfactant resulted in an increased intracellular ALA level, PpIX formation, and phototoxicity...
- Photodynamic therapy with BF-200 ALA for the treatment of actinic keratosis: results of a multicentre, randomized, observer-blind phase III study in comparison with a registered methyl-5-aminolaevulinate cream and placeboT Dirschka
Private Dermatological Practice Centre, Wuppertal, Germany
Br J Dermatol 166:137-46. 2012..BF-200 ALA (Biofrontera Bioscience GmbH, Leverkusen, Germany) is a gel formulation of ALA with nanoemulsion for the treatment of AK which overcomes previous problems of ALA instability and improves skin penetration...
- Doppler optical coherence tomography monitoring of microvascular tissue response during photodynamic therapy in an animal model of Barrett's esophagusBeau A Standish
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto, Ontario Cancer Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gastrointest Endosc 66:326-33. 2007....
- Increasing damage to tumor blood vessels during motexafin lutetium-PDT through use of low fluence rateTheresa M Busch
Department of Radiation Oncology, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Radiat Res 174:331-40. 2010..Further study of low fluence rate as a means to improve responses to PDT under conditions designed to predominantly damage vasculature is warranted...
- Photodynamic therapy for unresectable cholangiocarcinomaYutaka Tomizawa
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 5230 Center Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15232, USA
Dig Dis Sci 57:274-83. 2012..PDT has also been reported to have a favorable outcome as adjuvant and neoadjuvant therapy for CC. Although accumulated data and local expertise are limited, PDT can be regarded as a standard palliative therapy for unresectable CC...
- Respiratory deficiency enhances the sensitivity of the pathogenic fungus Candida to photodynamic treatmentYeissa Chabrier-Roselló
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Photochem Photobiol 84:1141-8. 2008....
- Oncologic photodynamic therapy photosensitizers: a clinical reviewRon R Allison
21st Century Oncology, Greenville, NC 27834 3764, USA
Photodiagnosis Photodyn Ther 7:61-75. 2010..Based on a clinical orientation the qualities of successful photosensitizers will be examined, how current drugs fare and potential future options explored...
- Antibacterial photodynamic therapy using water-soluble formulations of hypericin or mTHPC is effective in inactivation of Staphylococcus aureusVictoria Engelhardt
Department of Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg, Hellbrunnerstrasse 34, 5020, Salzburg, Austria
Photochem Photobiol Sci 9:365-9. 2010..We suggest both substances as promising candidates for treatment of staphylococcal infections in wounds with APDT...
- The effect of photodynamic treatment combined with antibiotic action or host defence mechanisms on Staphylococcus aureus biofilmsAntonella Di Poto
University of Pavia, Department of Biochemistry, Viale Taramelli 3 b, Pavia 27100, Italy
Biomaterials 30:3158-66. 2009..The results suggest that PDT combined with vancomycin and the host defences may be a useful approach for the inactivation of staphylococcal biofilms adhering to medical implant surfaces...
- Guidelines for the management of actinic keratosesD De Berker
Bristol Dermatology Centre, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, UK
Br J Dermatol 156:222-30. 2007..Strength of recommendation includes consideration of apparent cost-benefit and practical considerations. Quality of evidence reflects the nature of the trial structure that provides data of efficacy...
- Combinatorial treatment of photothermal therapy using gold nanoshells with conventional photodynamic therapy to improve treatment efficacy: an in vitro studyJames Chen Yong Kah
Division of Bioengineering, National University of Singapore, 7 Engineering Drive 1, Singapore 117574, Singapore
Lasers Surg Med 40:584-9. 2008..We compare the treatment efficacy of such combined treatment with the individual treatment...
- Photodynamic therapy: a review of the literature and image documentationMaria Cláudia Almeida Issa
Universidade Federal Fluminense, Niteroi, RJ, Brasil
An Bras Dermatol 85:501-11. 2010..This article provides an extensive review of photodynamic therapy, its mechanisms, indications and results...
- 5-Aminolevulinic acid-based photodynamic therapy suppressed survival factors and activated proteases for apoptosis in human glioblastoma U87MG cellsSurajit Karmakar
Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas Street, Suite 323K, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Neurosci Lett 415:242-7. 2007..The results suggested that 5-ALA-PDT induced apoptosis in U87MG cells by suppression of survival signals and activation of proteolytic pathways. Thus, 5-ALA-PDT can be an effective strategy for inducing apoptosis in glioblastoma...
- Caspase-independent apoptosis, in human MCF-7c3 breast cancer cells, following photodynamic therapy, with a novel water-soluble phthalocyanineNatalia B Rumie Vittar
Departamento Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de Rio Cuarto, Ruta 8 Km 601, Rio Cuarto, Argentina
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 42:1123-31. 2010..These data support the notion that an alternative mechanism of caspase-independent apoptosis was found in PoII-photosensitized cells...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- Photodynamic Therapy of Localized InfectionsMichael R Hamblin; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Dual-Receptor Targeted Nanoparticles for Photodynamic Therapy of Brain CancerAnn Marie Broome; Fiscal Year: 2013..By improving the selectivity of tumor targeting, we can potentially sustain local delivery of PDT drugs, thus dramatically enhancing the success of brain cancer therapy. ..
- Iron, NO, and Lipid Peroxide in Photodynamic TherapyALBERT GIROTTI; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Theranostic Nanomedicine for Breast Cancer Prevention and Image-Guided TherapyPrakash R Rai; Fiscal Year: 2011..Nanotechnology has made major contributions to BrCa therapy. We propose an innovative nanotechnology-based approach for BrCa prevention and treatment that could significantly impact patient care. ..
- Mitochondrial function and antifungal photodynamic therapyConstantine G Haidaris; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- Theranostic Nanomedicine for Breast Cancer Prevention and Image-Guided TherapyPrakash R Rai; Fiscal Year: 2013..This provides the potential for rapid screening to establish individualized patient-specific molecular targets and forms the basis for designing personalized prevention and treatments. ..
- Mechanisms of Cell Death after Photodynamic TherapyAnna Liisa Nieminen; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed studies will enhance our understanding how to enhance PDT-induced killing of cancer cells and further increase the efficacy of PDT translation to the benefit for cancer patients. ..
- SYNTHESES AND CELLULAR STUDIES OF NEW PHOTOSENSITIZERS FOR MEDICAL APPLICATIONSKevin M Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..The full potential can be realized only when new drugs with higher cellular selectivity and specificity are discovered, their mechanisms of biological action investigated, and their efficacy evaluated relative to existing modalities. ..
- Antimicrobial Phototherapy of Antibiotic Resistant Chronic SinusitisMERRILL ABRAHAM BIEL; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Development of targeted photodynamic therapy for treatment of dental cariesRandal Eckert; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will encourage and support innovative research from a small business on the etiology, pathogenesis, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of oral, craniofacial, and dental diseases and disorders. ..
- Tri-modal Polymeric Micelles for 'See &Treat'Applications in Surgical OncologyGlen S Kwon; Fiscal Year: 2012..Advances in integrated optical imaging and therapeutic capability of biocompatible PEG-b-PCL micelles will enable tenable nano-technology applications in surgical oncology and rapid translation into clinical trials. ..
- Combination Therapy With 5-FU and PDT For The Treatment Of Post-Transplant PremalEdward V Maytin; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Sphingolipids in Cell Death after PhotodamageDUSKA M SEPAROVIC; Fiscal Year: 2012..Thus, the proposal holds the promise of improving clinical PDT. ..
- A POLYMERIC DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM FOR CANCER THERAPYJINDRICH H KOPECEK; Fiscal Year: 2010..The concept of double-targeted macromolecular therapeutics provides a new paradigm for the design of efficient anticancer drugs for the treatment of ovarian cancer. ..
- BASIC SCIENCE RESEARCH IN DIGESTIVE DISEASESMark Donowitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: This grant will allow the training of leaders of Gl research, both basic and translational research. ..
- EGFR-targeted Polymeric Micelles for Targeted Pc 4-PDT of Oropharyngeal TumorsALYSSA MANECK MASTER; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Human PBGS Quaternary Structure Dynamics, Drugs, and Half-of-the-sites ReactivityEileen K Jaffe; Fiscal Year: 2012..Inactivation of human PBGS is involved in the human conditions of ALAD porphyria and lead poisoning, the latter of which remains a pervasive public health problem in the United States and around the world. ..
- Targeted Photoactivable Nanocells: Image-based Drug Delivery and Dosimetry in GBMBrian W Pogue; Fiscal Year: 2013..Quantitative imaging will also accelerate fluorescence-guided resections for GBM already in advanced clinical trials. Finally, the approach developed here will be adaptable to treating a broad range of diseases. ..
- Nanoparticle-based Antimicrobial Photochemotherapy in BiofilmsNIKOLAOS SOUKOS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our research may help develop photodynamic therapy as a non-invasive technique for prevention, control and/or treatment of periodontal disease. ..
- Injectable reporters to image tumors and guide resectionRoger Y Tsien; Fiscal Year: 2013..genetically perfectly labeling, whether PDT helps, how well can current injectable agents monitor recurrence, and what materials or procedures most need improvement. ..
- Therapeutics of XIAP Degradation by Zinc ChelatorsVladimir M Kolenko; Fiscal Year: 2013..We seek to evaluate the therapeutic uses of 5-ALA for the treatment of hormone refractory prostate cancer. ..
- Hyperspectral Microendscopy to Monitor VEGF During Pancreatic Cancer TherapyBRYAN QUILTY SPRING; Fiscal Year: 2012..This project integrates new image-guidance and nanotechnology platforms to deliver therapeutic agents at the "right time" and to the "right place" for optimal inhibition of cancer cell survival and metastasis. ..
- Porphyrin Conjugates and EGFRALECIA MICHELLE MCCALL; Fiscal Year: 2011..25-35 This research, then, is advantageous in that fluorescent porphyrin-based conjugates be used to selectively and efficiently label CRC tumor foci, which has been illustrated by previous research in our group. ..
- Modes of cell death initiated by photodynamic therapyDavid Kessel; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have recently found that PDT evokes a hitherto unreported cellular response: impaired membrane trafficking leading to interference with the endocytic pathway. The implications of this effect remain to be explored. ..
- Broncho-adventitial Drug Delivery: Paclitaxel for Bronchial CarcinomaKIRK SEWARD; Fiscal Year: 2013..but offer similar benefit. Local bronchial wall delivery of drugs can also be an important treatment as adjuvant therapy for metastatic or benign diseases that cause airway narrowing. ..
- Targeted Photoactivatable Nanocells to Image and Treat Metastic Ovarian CancerTayyaba Hasan; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study has the potential to improve patient care and could result in the development of a new standard of management for the patients with OvCa following surgery. ..
- Multimodality Microendoscope for Metastatic Ovarian Cancer Detection & TreatmentCONOR LEE EVANS; Fiscal Year: 2010..By detecting these metastases, this research aims to vastly improve the detection and subsequent treatment of ovarian cancer to save the lives of women with this disease. ..
- Real Time, Automated Singlet Oxygen Dosimeter for PDTSteven Davis; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Light Activation of Enzyme InhibitionJEREMY KODANKO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Literature data confirm that photodynamic therapy is effective against bone tumors in live animal models, which strongly supports our studies. ..
- A Novel Therapy for the Treatment of Chest Wall Progression of Breast CancerGary S Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project seeks to develop a novel, low-morbidity approach to treating cancer that can be administered repeatedly and in an outpatient setting. ..
- New Stereoregular Functionalized Fullerenes as Nanomedicines for PDTLong Y Chiang; Fiscal Year: 2012..Particular chemical and photophysical features of these compounds proposed herein will improve PDT of these diseases beyond what is presently possible. ..
- New PET /near IR-fluorescence tools for multimodal imaging in oncologyRichard Ting; Fiscal Year: 2013..These molecules will possess exterior functionality that is similar to clinical 99mTc tracers in order to address the problem of recurrin 99mTc shortages, a current problem in nuclear medicine today. ..
- Light-targeted drug deliveryMATTHEW C HARTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: This proposal aims to develop a new versatile method for the treatment of esophageal cancer with light. Light will be used to deliver a chemotherapeutic agent into esophageal cancer cells. ..
- Molecular Response and Imaging-based Combination Strategies for Optimal PDTTayyaba Hasan; Fiscal Year: 2013..NMSC on the other hand has many options but the high incidence puts a heavy burden on society in terms of cost and suffering. ..
- Neoadjuvant photodynamic immunomodulation for colon cancerEdward L Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2011..These studies may provide the basis for the development of new strategies to improve colon cancer survival. ..
- Glioblastoma PDT Design: Nanoagent Uptake and Tumor Oxygenation based dosimetrySrivalleesha Mallidi; Fiscal Year: 2013..X. Breakefield (GBM tumor biology and animal models), Dr. R. Martuza (clinical translational aspects of GBM-PDT) and Dr. L. Wang at Univ. of Washington (PAI and imaging tumor hypoxia). ..
- PDT - Mechanisms and Strategies for OptimizationBarbara W Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Fluorescence Image-Guided Near Infrared (NIR) Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) AgentManivannan Ethirajan; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Optical Dosimetry for Clinical Trials of Pc 4 Photodynamic TherapyTHOMAS HARRISON FOSTER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Research proposed here will develop means for measuring the quantities that determine the outcome of this therapy. Results will contribute to the ongoing clinical trials. ..
- Intrabiliary MR/RF-enhanced chemotherapy of malignant biliary obstructionsXiaoming Yang; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, the success of this project should lay the groundwork for development of new technologies to treat obstructive diseases in other luminal systems such as the urinary tract and gastrointestinal tract. ..
- Ovarian Cancer PDT: Multi-intracellular targeting and Image-guided dosimetryTayyaba Hasan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The platform will also impact scientific research by providing new investigative tools. ..
- Heterocellular 3D ovarian tumor arrays for imaging and mechanistic combinationsTayyaba Hasan; Fiscal Year: 2013..Because molecular expressions and responses can be idiosyncratic, the proposed rapid monitoring of biomarkers expression and treatment-induced biomarkers changes creates the possibility of patient-customized treatments in the future. ..
- PHTHALOCYANINE PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY OF SKIN TUMORSHasan Mukhtar; Fiscal Year: 1999..Agents found to be effective will then be tested for abrogation of photosensitivity by administration to mice after Pc-PDT of skin tumors, and reexposure to light radiation vs. controls. ..
- Molecular Imaging Directed, 3D Ultrasound-guided, Biopsy SystemBaowei Fei; Fiscal Year: 2013..If completely developed, the multimodality molecular image-guided system will be able to be used not only for biopsy but also for brachytherapy, radiofrequency thermal ablation, cryotherapy, and photodynamic therapy. ..
- Quantitative Evaluation of Cerenkov Luminescence for Imaging and TherapySimon R Cherry; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Multifunctional Photosensitizers for Image-guided PDT of Brain TumorsRavindra K Pandey; Fiscal Year: 2012..Therefore, this research warrants further investigation. ..
- High-Performance Cone-Beam CT Guidance of Head and Neck SurgeryJeffrey H Siewerdsen; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., robot-assisted surgery, photodynamic therapy, and precise targeting using chemical or biological agents) that require a high degree of geometric precision provided by intraoperative imaging. ..
- Myocyte-specific nanoplatform-enabling photodynamic cardiac ablationRaoul Kopelman; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Oxygen and photosensitizer levels in photodynamic therapy of head and neck tumorsTheresa M Busch; Fiscal Year: 2013..outcome? Question 3B: Are macroscopic heterogeneities in oxygen and photosensitizer levels measures of underlying microscopic heterogeneities? Question 3C: How are distributions of oxygen and photosensitizer spatially related? ..
- Mechanism-based therapies for pancreatic cancer informed by stromal microrheologyJonathan P Celli; Fiscal Year: 2012..The opportunities provided by this award will not only allow Dr. Celli to pursue potentially ground-breaking research, but will also provide him with valuable mentorship and training to his career as an independent investigator. ..
- A Novel Therapy for the Treatment of Chest Wall Progression of Breast CancerGary S Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2013..Phase III will involve commercial partners to move CLIPT into pivotal trials and to explore the use of CLIPT in treating additional cancer and proliferative diseases. ..
- Effects of Photodynamic Therapy on Tumor Oxygenation and Blood FlowTheresa M Busch; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Nanobiophotonics Enabled Tumor Surgery and Intraoperative PDTRaoul Kopelman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ultimate goal is to apply advances in nanotechnology to address the challenges in the surgical and adjuvant therapy of brain tumors. ..
- Nanoparticle Enabled Intraoperative Imaging and TherapyRaoul Kopelman; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- OPTIMIZATION OF INTRAPERITONEAL PDTDouglas Fraker; Fiscal Year: 2012..In all parts of the trial malignant and normal tissue will be analyzed for sensitizer concentration, molecular markers related to PDT response, and intraoperatively for optical properties. ..
- Multiwavelength diode laser system for PDTKristen M Kelly; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- New Strategies for Photoimmunodetection/therapyMARK DAVID SAVELLANO; Fiscal Year: 2010..These receptors are ideal targets for PID/PIT since they are often overexpressed and/or overactivated in many cancers, especially aggressive high-risk breast cancers. ..
- Imaging and Overcoming Hypoxia-Induced Resistance in Metastatic Ovarian CancerCONOR LEE EVANS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Obstructive E*Todd Demmy; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will be instrumental in the development of a novel PDT drug without long-term restrictions of patients' sun exposure. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OTHER FUNCTIONS TOPIC 255, PHASE II, "TARGETED TWO-PHOTON PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY TCHARLES SPANGLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Promotion of PDT Induced phototoxicity by bile acidsDavid Kessel; Fiscal Year: 2003..If the results of preliminary studies are borne out by further investigation, UDCA could offer a safe and effective means for promoting clinical PDT efficacy. ..
- SELECTIVE PHOTOCHEMOTHERAPY: DEVELOPMENT AND APPLICATIONAllan Oseroff; Fiscal Year: 1991..The technique of photochemotherapy permits double selectivity, since damage requires the simultaneous presence of a photosensitizer (PS) and ..
- LASER PHOTOTHERAPY FOR THE TREATMENT OF MALIGNANCIESDan Castro; Fiscal Year: 1992..Furthermore, the basic unit of dosimetry that will be developed with the lasers ("LAD") will allow standardization of scientific clinical and biomedical research...
- LASER PHOTORADIATION THERAPY OF MALIGNANT TUMORSMichael Berns; Fiscal Year: 2002..Response will be evaluated at 3 month intervals for up to one year post treatment. ..
- Computer Directed Photodynamic Therapy of Prostate CaJerzy Jankun; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Photodynamic Therapy for Endodontic DisinfectionNIKOLAOS SOUKOS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Photodynamic therapy may be an adjunctive procedure to kill residual root canal bacteria after their sensitization with a photoactive drug and their subsequent exposure to light. ..
- PULSED SOLID-STATE LASER SOURCE FOR PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPYPETER MOULTON; Fiscal Year: 1992..The long term goal would be to develop a clinically qualified solid-state laser for PDT...
- Endoscopic Therapy of Early Cancer in Barretts EsophagusKenneth Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Diagnostic and therapeutic techniques developed in this study can be applied to other gastrointestinal tumors. ..
- 3RD BIENNIAL MEETING--PHOTODYNAMIC ASSOCIATIONThomas Dougherty; Fiscal Year: 1990..Emphasis will be placed on drug and light source development, as well as the current status of clinical trials and new clinical applications...
- PHTHALOCYANINE PDT--IN VIVO RESPONSES AND MECHANISMSCraig Elmets; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal of these studies is to generate new knowledge regarding the in vivo mechanisms by which PDT works so that it can be used more effectively to treat cancer. ..
- Photodynamic therapy of oral candidiasisCONSTANTINE HAIDARIS; Fiscal Year: 2005..2b. To demonstrate proof of principle of PDT in the treatment of C. albicans infection in the oral cavity of rats in vivo. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF NEW PHOTOSENSITIZING DYESDavid Kessel; Fiscal Year: 1992..Exploration of these phenomena should facilitate the design of new dyes for PDT...
- PHOTOSENSTIZATION MECHANISMS IN HYPOXIC MEDIAROBERT REDMOND; Fiscal Year: 2003..The ability of a PIRG to modulate between oxygen-dependent and independent photosensitization mechanisms in direct response to oxygen levels will be investigated. ..
- Photodynamic Therapy of Disseminated Peritoneal Tumor Using New PhotosensitizersJ Wharton; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, the unacceptably low 5-year survival rate necessitates the development of alternative treatments such as photodynamic therapy. ..
- Novel Cancer Nanotechnology Platforms for Photodynamic Therapy and ImagingRavindra Pandey; Fiscal Year: 2009..Paras Prasad, PhD (UB), will lead development and photophysical characterization of the Ormosil platform. Raoul Kopelman, PhD (UM), will lead development and photophysical characterization the polyacrylamide platform. ..
- Visibly Caged Bio-active Molecules and PDTPaul Jones; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Singlet Oxygen Detector for Photodynamic TherapySteven Davis; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally a real time O2 (1delta) monitor during phototherapy could be an invaluable tool for improving the efficiency of cancer cell destruction. ..
- PRECLINICAL INTERSTITIAL PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY RESEARCHJ Chapman; Fiscal Year: 1992....