Genomes and Genes
mesenchymal stem cell transplantation
Summary: Transfer of MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS between individuals within the same species (TRANSPLANTATION, HOMOLOGOUS) or transfer within the same individual (TRANSPLANTATION, AUTOLOGOUS).
Publications293 found, 100 shown here
- Concise review: mesenchymal stem/multipotent stromal cells: the state of transdifferentiation and modes of tissue repair--current viewsDonald G Phinney
Center for Gene Therapy, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Stem Cells 25:2896-902. 2007..Additionally, we argue that this heterogeneity also provides a basis for the broad therapeutic efficacy of MSCs...
- Mesenchymal stem cells within tumour stroma promote breast cancer metastasisAntoine E Karnoub
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Nature 449:557-63. 2007..Collectively, these data demonstrate that the tumour microenvironment facilitates metastatic spread by eliciting reversible changes in the phenotype of cancer cells...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation study of intravenous adult human mesenchymal stem cells (prochymal) after acute myocardial infarctionJoshua M Hare
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Division and the Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 54:2277-86. 2009..Our aim was to investigate the safety and efficacy of intravenous allogeneic human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSCs) in patients with myocardial infarction (MI)...
- Treatment of severe acute graft-versus-host disease with third party haploidentical mesenchymal stem cellsKatarina Le Blanc
Division of Clinical Immunology and Centre for Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 363:1439-41. 2004..Clinical response was striking. The patient is now well after 1 year. We postulate that mesenchymal stem cells have a potent immunosuppressive effect in vivo...
- Mesenchymal stem cells for treatment of steroid-resistant, severe, acute graft-versus-host disease: a phase II studyKatarina Le Blanc
Haematology Centre and Centre of Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation, Division of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 371:1579-86. 2008..Mesenchymal stem cells modulate immune responses in vitro and in vivo. We aimed to assess whether mesenchymal stem cells could ameliorate GVHD after haemopoietic-stem-cell transplantation...
- Mesenchymal stromal cells: current understanding and clinical statusHusein K Salem
Centre for Translational Medicine and Therapeutics, The William Harvey Research Institute, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, United Kingdom
Stem Cells 28:585-96. 2010..This review highlights our current understanding into the biology of MSCs with particular emphasis on the cardiovascular and renal applications, and provides a brief update on the clinical status of MSC-based therapy...
- Immunomodulatory properties of mesenchymal stromal cellsAlma J Nauta
Department of Immunohematology and Blood Transfusion, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Blood 110:3499-506. 2007....
- Administered mesenchymal stem cells protect against ischemic acute renal failure through differentiation-independent mechanismsFlorian Tögel
Division of Nephrology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84148, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 289:F31-42. 2005....
- Self-renewing osteoprogenitors in bone marrow sinusoids can organize a hematopoietic microenvironmentBenedetto Sacchetti
Deparment of Experimental Medicine, La Sapienza University, 00161 Rome, Italy
Cell 131:324-36. 2007..Our data reveal the functional relationships between establishment of the HME in vivo, establishment of skeletal progenitors in BM sinusoids, and angiogenesis...
- Local delivery of marrow-derived stromal cells augments collateral perfusion through paracrine mechanismsT Kinnaird
Cardiovascular Research Institute, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Circulation 109:1543-9. 2004..Bone marrow cell therapy is reported to contribute to collateral formation through cell incorporation into new or remodeling vessels. However, the possible role of a paracrine contribution to this effect is less well characterized...
- Immunosuppressive effect of mesenchymal stem cells favors tumor growth in allogeneic animalsFarida Djouad
INSERM U475, 99 rue Puech Villa, 34197 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Blood 102:3837-44. 2003..Although the potential side effects of immunosuppression induced by MSCs have to be considered in further clinical studies, the usefulness of MSCs for various therapeutic applications still remains of great interest...
- Adult mesenchymal stem cells for tissue engineering versus regenerative medicineArnold I Caplan
Skeletal Research Center, Department of Biology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Cell Physiol 213:341-7. 2007..This review summarizes the biological basis for the in vivo functioning of MSCs through development and aging...
- Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in repair of the injured lungMauricio Rojas
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Center for Translational Research of the Lung, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine and Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 33:145-52. 2005..BMDMSC localize to the injured lung and assume lung cell phenotypes, but protection from injury and fibrosis also involves suppression of inflammation and triggering production of reparative growth factors...
- Mesenchymal stem cells ameliorate experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis inducing T-cell anergyEmanuela Zappia
Department of Neurosciences Ophthalmology and Genetics, University of Genoa, Via De Toni 5, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Blood 106:1755-61. 2005..These data suggest that the immunoregulatory properties of MSCs effectively interfere with the autoimmune attack in the course of EAE inducing an in vivo state of T-cell unresponsiveness occurring within secondary lymphoid organs...
- Comparison of allogeneic vs autologous bone marrow–derived mesenchymal stem cells delivered by transendocardial injection in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy: the POSEIDON randomized trialJoshua M Hare
Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute, and Department of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
JAMA 308:2369-79. 2012..Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are under evaluation as a therapy for ischemic cardiomyopathy (ICM). Both autologous and allogeneic MSC therapies are possible; however, their safety and efficacy have not been compared...
- Intrapulmonary delivery of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells improves survival and attenuates endotoxin-induced acute lung injury in miceNaveen Gupta
Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Immunol 179:1855-63. 2007..In conclusion, treatment with intrapulmonary MSC markedly decreases the severity of endotoxin-induced acute lung injury and improves survival in mice...
- Autologous bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stromal cell treatment for refractory luminal Crohn's disease: results of a phase I studyMarjolijn Duijvestein
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 ZA Leiden, The Netherlands
Gut 59:1662-9. 2010..Our objective was to determine the safety and feasibility of autologous bone marrow derived MSC therapy in patients with refractory Crohn's disease...
- Concise review: Dissecting a discrepancy in the literature: do mesenchymal stem cells support or suppress tumor growth?Ann H Klopp
Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Stem Cells 29:11-9. 2011..Understanding the conditions in which MSCs enhance tumor growth and metastasis is crucial, both to safely develop MSCs as a therapeutic tool and to advance our understanding of the role of tumor stroma in carcinogenesis...
- Adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells have in vivo immunosuppressive properties applicable for the control of the graft-versus-host diseaseRosa Yañez
Hematopoiesis and Gene Therapy Division, Centro de Investigaciones Energeticas, Medioambientales y Technologicas CIEMAT Marcelino Botín Foundation, Madrid, Spain
Stem Cells 24:2582-91. 2006..These findings constitute the first experimental proof that Ad-MSCs can efficiently control the GVHD associated with allogeneic hematopoietic transplantation, opening new perspectives for the clinical use of Ad-MSCs...
- Mesenchymal stem cells enhance wound healing through differentiation and angiogenesisYaojiong Wu
161 HMRC, University of Alberta, 113 Street and 87 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2E1, Canada
Stem Cells 25:2648-59. 2007..Thus, our data suggest that BM-MSCs promote wound healing through differentiation and release of proangiogenic factors. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- Mechanisms involved in the therapeutic properties of mesenchymal stem cellsLindolfo da Silva Meirelles
National Institute of Science and Technology for Stem Cells and Cell Therapy, Centro Regional de Hemoterapia de Ribeirão Preto HCFMRP Universidade de São Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP 14051 140, Brazil
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 20:419-27. 2009....
- Mesenchymal stem cells: biology, pathophysiology, translational findings, and therapeutic implications for cardiac diseaseAdam R Williams
Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Circ Res 109:923-40. 2011..This article reviews the current understanding of MSC biology, mechanism of action in cardiac repair, translational findings, and early clinical trial data of MSC therapy for cardiac disease...
- Mesenchymal stem cell-derived microvesicles protect against acute tubular injuryStefania Bruno
Department of Internal Medicine, Research Center for Experimental Medicine, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:1053-67. 2009..These results suggest that microvesicles derived from MSCs may activate a proliferative program in surviving tubular cells after injury via a horizontal transfer of mRNA...
- Human mesenchymal stem cells exert potent antitumorigenic effects in a model of Kaposi's sarcomaAarif Y Khakoo
Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cardiovascular Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Exp Med 203:1235-47. 2006....
- Allogeneic human mesenchymal stem cells for treatment of E. coli endotoxin-induced acute lung injury in the ex vivo perfused human lungJae W Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:16357-62. 2009..In summary, treatment with allogeneic human MSCs or the conditioned medium restores normal fluid balance in an ex vivo perfused human lung injured by E. coli endotoxin...
- Human adult stem cells derived from adipose tissue protect against experimental colitis and sepsisE Gonzalez-Rey
School of Medicine, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
Gut 58:929-39. 2009..This work investigates the therapeutic effects of human adipose-derived MSCs (hASCs) in various models of IBD and sepsis...
- Mesenchymal stem cell homing: the devil is in the detailsJeffrey M Karp
Harvard MIT Division of Health Science and Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, E25 519, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Cell Stem Cell 4:206-16. 2009..This review provides a critical analysis of the methods used to track homing of exogenously infused MSCs and discusses strategies for enhancing their trafficking to particular tissues...
- Mesenchymal stem cells and their potential as cardiac therapeuticsMark F Pittenger
Osiris Therapeutics, Inc, 2001 Aliceanna St, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Circ Res 95:9-20. 2004....
- Cardiac repair with intramyocardial injection of allogeneic mesenchymal stem cells after myocardial infarctionLuciano C Amado
Department of Medicine, Cardiology Division, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Blalock 618, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:11474-9. 2005....
- Hypoxic preconditioning enhances the benefit of cardiac progenitor cell therapy for treatment of myocardial infarction by inducing CXCR4 expressionYao Liang Tang
Stem Cell Biology, Keck Graduate Institute, Claremont, CA, USA
Circ Res 104:1209-16. 2009....
- Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells stimulate cardiac stem cell proliferation and differentiationKonstantinos E Hatzistergos
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Circ Res 107:913-22. 2010..Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) have the capacity for cardiac repair that appears to exceed their capacity for differentiation into cardiac myocytes...
- Paracrine action accounts for marked protection of ischemic heart by Akt-modified mesenchymal stem cellsMassimiliano Gnecchi
Nat Med 11:367-8. 2005
- Vasculotropic, paracrine actions of infused mesenchymal stem cells are important to the recovery from acute kidney injuryFlorian Tögel
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 292:F1626-35. 2007..These data demonstrate that the unique vasculotropic, paracrine actions elicited by MSC play a significant renoprotective role after AKI, further demonstrating that cell therapy has promise as a novel intervention in AKI...
- Human bone marrow stromal cells express a distinct set of biologically functional chemokine receptorsMarek Honczarenko
Joint Program in Transfusion Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Karp Family Research Bldg, RB10217, 1 Blackfan Circle, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Stem Cells 24:1030-41. 2006..These findings suggest that several chemokine axes may operate in BMSC biology and may be important parameters in the validation of cultured BMSCs intended for cell therapy...
- Mesenchymal stem cells differentiate into an endothelial phenotype, enhance vascular density, and improve heart function in a canine chronic ischemia modelGuilherme V Silva
Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Circulation 111:150-6. 2005..Bone marrow-derived stem cells are under investigation as a treatment for ischemic heart disease. Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) have been used preferentially in the acute ischemia model; data in the chronic ischemia model are lacking...
- IFN-gamma activation of mesenchymal stem cells for treatment and prevention of graft versus host diseaseDavid Polchert
Department of Surgery, University of Illinois Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Eur J Immunol 38:1745-55. 2008..006). MSC activation was dependent on the magnitude of IFN-gamma exposure, with increased IFN-gamma exposure leading to increased MSC suppression of GVHD. Activated MSC present a new strategy for preventing GVHD using fewer MSC...
- Concise review: Mesenchymal stem cells for acute lung injury: role of paracrine soluble factorsJae W Lee
Department of Anesthesiology, University of California San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Stem Cells 29:913-9. 2011..This review will focus on recent studies, which support the potential therapeutic use of MSCs in ALI/ARDS, with an emphasis on the role of paracrine soluble factors...
- Stem/progenitor cells from bone marrow decrease neuronal death in global ischemia by modulation of inflammatory/immune responsesHirokazu Ohtaki
Center for Gene Therapy, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:14638-43. 2008..The observed beneficial effects of hMSCs were largely explained by their modulation of inflammatory and immune responses, apparently by alternative activation of microglia and/or macrophages...
- Donor-derived mesenchymal stem cells are immunogenic in an allogeneic host and stimulate donor graft rejection in a nonmyeloablative settingAlma J Nauta
Laboratory of Experimental Hematology, Department of Hematology, D2 P, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 ZA Leiden, The Netherlands
Blood 108:2114-20. 2006....
- Mesenchymal stem cell-derived molecules directly modulate hepatocellular death and regeneration in vitro and in vivoDaan van Poll
Center for Engineering in Medicine and Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Shriners Hospitals for Children, Boston, MA, USA
Hepatology 47:1634-43. 2008..Direct antiapoptotic and promitotic effects of MSC-CM on hepatocytes were demonstrated using in vitro assays...
- Multipotent stromal cells from human marrow home to and promote repair of pancreatic islets and renal glomeruli in diabetic NOD/scid miceRyang Hwa Lee
Center for Gene Therapy, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, 1430 Tulane Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:17438-43. 2006..Therefore, the results raised the possibility that hMSCs may be useful in enhancing insulin secretion and perhaps improving the renal lesions that develop in patients with diabetes mellitus...
- Mesenchymal stem cells for treatment of therapy-resistant graft-versus-host diseaseOlle Ringden
Center for Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Transplantation 81:1390-7. 2006..Mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) have immunomodulatory effects. The aim was to study the effect of MSC infusion on graft-versus-host disease (GVHD)...
- Autologous bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in liver failure patients caused by hepatitis B: short-term and long-term outcomesLiang Peng
Department of Infectious Diseases, Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Hepatology 54:820-8. 2011..Additionally, there were no significant differences in the incidence of HCC or mortality between patients with and without cirrhosis in the transplantation group...
- Adult human mesenchymal stem cells added to corticosteroid therapy for the treatment of acute graft-versus-host diseasePartow Kebriaei
Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15:804-11. 2009..There was no difference with respect to safety or efficacy between the low and high Prochymal dose. In conclusion, Prochymal can be infused safely into patients with aGVHD and induces response in a high proportion of GVHD patients...
- Transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells improves cardiac function in a rat model of dilated cardiomyopathyNoritoshi Nagaya
Department of Regenerative Medicine and Tissue Engineering, National Cardiovascular Center Research Institute, Osaka 565 8565, Japan
Circulation 112:1128-35. 2005..However, little information is available about the therapeutic potency of MSC transplantation in cases of dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM), an important cause of heart failure...
- Mesenchymal stem cell delivery of TRAIL can eliminate metastatic cancerMichael R Loebinger
Centre for Respiratory Research, Rayne Institute, and Flow Cytometry Facility, Institute of Child Health, University College London, London, UK
Cancer Res 69:4134-42. 2009..This has a wide potential therapeutic role, which includes the treatment of both primary tumors and their metastases, possibly as an adjuvant therapy in clearing micrometastatic disease following primary tumor resection...
- A long-term follow-up study of intravenous autologous mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in patients with ischemic strokeJin Soo Lee
Department of Neurology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, South Korea
Stem Cells 28:1099-106. 2010..Intravenous autologous MSCs transplantation was safe for stroke patients during long-term follow-up. This therapy may improve recovery after stroke depending on the specific characteristics of the patients...
- Potential risks of bone marrow cell transplantation into infarcted heartsMartin Breitbach
Institute of Physiology I, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Blood 110:1362-9. 2007..These findings seriously question the biologic basis and clinical safety of using whole BM and in particular MSCs to treat nonhematopoietic disorders...
- Cotransplantation of HLA-identical sibling culture-expanded mesenchymal stem cells and hematopoietic stem cells in hematologic malignancy patientsHillard M Lazarus
Department of Medicine, The University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:389-98. 2005..The optimal MSC dose and frequency of administration to prevent or treat GVHD during allogeneic HSC transplantation should be evaluated further in phase II clinical trials...
- Intramyocardial stem cell injection in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy: functional recovery and reverse remodelingAdam R Williams
Interdisciplinary Stem Cell Institute, Department of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1501 NW 10th Ave, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Circ Res 108:792-6. 2011..Transcatheter, intramyocardial injections of bone marrow-derived cell therapy produces reverse remodeling in large animal models of ischemic cardiomyopathy...
- Immunosuppressive properties of mesenchymal stem cells: advances and applicationsM P De Miguel
Cell Engineering Laboratory, IdiPAZ, La Paz Hospital Research Institute, Madrid, Spain
Curr Mol Med 12:574-91. 2012..We will try to shed light on all these studies, and analyze why the results are so contradictory...
- Cotransplantation of ex vivo expanded mesenchymal stem cells accelerates lymphocyte recovery and may reduce the risk of graft failure in haploidentical hematopoietic stem-cell transplantationLynne M Ball
Department of Pediatric Stem Cell Transplantation, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Blood 110:2764-7. 2007..These data suggest that MSCs, possibly thanks to their potent immunosuppressive effect on alloreactive host T lymphocytes escaping the preparative regimen, reduce the risk of graft failure in haploidentical HSC transplant recipients...
- Mesenchymal stem cell therapy: Two steps forward, one step backJames Ankrum
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology 65 Landsdowne Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Trends Mol Med 16:203-9. 2010....
- Improvement of liver function in liver cirrhosis patients after autologous mesenchymal stem cell injection: a phase I-II clinical trialPedram Kharaziha
Urology and Nephrology Research Center UNRC, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, Karolinska University Hospital Solna, Sweden
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:1199-205. 2009..End-stage liver disease is a medical problem with high morbidity and mortality. We have investigated the feasibility, safety, and efficacy of using autologous mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) as a treatment...
- Immunological aspects of allogeneic mesenchymal stem cell therapiesMatthew D Griffin
Regenerative Medicine Institute, National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Hum Gene Ther 21:1641-55. 2010..Ultimately successful allogeneic cell therapies will rely on an improved understanding of the parameters of MSC-immune system interactions in vivo...
- Mesenchymal stem cells are recruited into wounded skin and contribute to wound repair by transdifferentiation into multiple skin cell typeMikako Sasaki
Department of Dermatology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, N 15 W 7 Kita ku, Sapporo, Japan
J Immunol 180:2581-7. 2008..Taken together, we have demonstrated that MSCs contribute to wound repair via processes involving MSCs differentiation various cell components of the skin...
- Human umbilical cord matrix stem cells: preliminary characterization and effect of transplantation in a rodent model of Parkinson's diseaseMark L Weiss
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas 66506, USA
Stem Cells 24:781-92. 2006..In summary, the umbilical cord matrix appears to be a rich, noncontroversial, and inexhaustible source of primitive mesenchymal stem cells...
- Adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells as a source of human hepatocytesAgnieszka Banas
Section for Studies on Metastasis, National Cancer Center Research Institute 1 1, Tokyo, Japan
Hepatology 46:219-28. 2007..The fact that they are easy to procure ex vivo in large numbers makes them an attractive tool for clinical studies in the context of establishing an alternative therapy for liver dysfunction...
- Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells reduce fibrosis of bleomycin-induced lung injuryYuben Moodley
Department of Medicine, Monash Immunology and Stem Cell Laboratories, School of Biomedical Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Am J Pathol 175:303-13. 2009..The results of this study suggest that uMSCs have antifibrotic properties and may augment lung repair if used to treat acute respiratory distress syndrome...
- Mesenchymal stem cells: clinical applications and biological characterizationFrank P Barry
Osiris Therapeutics Inc, 2001 Aliceanna Street, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 36:568-84. 2004..These include the host immune response to implanted cells, the homing mechanisms that guide delivered cells to a site of injury and the differentiation in vivo of implanted cells under the influence of local signals...
- Adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells alleviate experimental colitis by inhibiting inflammatory and autoimmune responsesManuel A Gonzalez
Cellerix SA, Tres Cantos Madrid, Madrid, Spain Fundación Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Gastroenterology 136:978-89. 2009..Here, we investigated the potential therapeutic effects of human adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells (hASCs) in a model of inflammatory bowel disease...
- Mesenchymal progenitor cells as cellular vehicles for delivery of oncolytic adenovirusesSvetlana Komarova
Division of Human Gene Therapy, Department of Medicine, Gene Therapy Center, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 901 19th Street South, BMR2 572, Birmingham, AL 35294 3300, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 5:755-66. 2006..These data show that MPCs can serve as intermediate carriers for replicative adenoviruses and suggest that the natural homing properties of specific cell types can be used for targeted delivery of these virions...
- Stem and progenitor cell-mediated tumor selective gene therapyK S Aboody
Division of Hematology Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation, City of Hope National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute, Duarte, CA, USA
Gene Ther 15:739-52. 2008....
- Study of telomere length reveals rapid aging of human marrow stromal cells following in vitro expansionMelissa A Baxter
Stem Cell Research Group, Giving for Living Postgraduate Centre, Royal Manchester Children s Hospital, M27 4HA, UK
Stem Cells 22:675-82. 2004..We report that even protocols that involve minimal expansion induce a rapid aging of MSCs, with losses equivalent to about half their total replicative lifespan...
- The immunomodulatory properties of mesenchymal stem cellsIlaria Marigo
Stem Cell Biology, Department of Medicine, Division of Experimental Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, W12 ONN, London, UK
Semin Immunopathol 33:593-602. 2011..It is emerging even more clearly that these cells are not always a panacea. Only the knowledge of their physiological role and their interactions with other cells will allow us to use them as a therapeutic tool...
- Immunomodulatory properties and therapeutic application of mesenchymal stem cellsM Shi
Beijing 302 Hospital, Beijing, China
Clin Exp Immunol 164:1-8. 2011..This review examines the current understanding of the immunomodulatory properties of MSCs and its therapeutic implication for immune-mediated diseases and transplant rejection...
- Safety of intravenous infusion of human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells in animals and humansJeong Chan Ra
Stem Cell Research Center, RNL BIO Co, Ltd, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Stem Cells Dev 20:1297-308. 2011..None of the patients developed any serious adverse events related to hAdMSC transplantation during the 3-month follow-up. In conclusion, the systemic transplantation of hAdMSCs appears to be safe and does not induce tumor development...
- Pulmonary passage is a major obstacle for intravenous stem cell delivery: the pulmonary first-pass effectUwe M Fischer
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, 6431 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Stem Cells Dev 18:683-92. 2009..Larger stem and progenitor cells are initially trapped inside the lungs following intravenous administration with a therapeutically questionable number of cells reaching the arterial system acutely...
- Repeated mesenchymal stem cell treatment after neonatal hypoxia-ischemia has distinct effects on formation and maturation of new neurons and oligodendrocytes leading to restoration of damage, corticospinal motor tract activity, and sensorimotor functionCindy T J van Velthoven
Laboratory of Neuroimmunology and Developmental Origins of Disease, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Neurosci 30:9603-11. 2010..We propose that the function of MSCs is dictated by adaptive specific signals provided by the damaged and regenerating brain...
- Kallikrein-modified mesenchymal stem cell implantation provides enhanced protection against acute ischemic kidney injury by inhibiting apoptosis and inflammationMakoto Hagiwara
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Hum Gene Ther 19:807-19. 2008..These results indicate that implantation of kallikrein-modified MSCs in the kidney provides advanced benefits in protection against ischemia-induced kidney injury by suppression of apoptosis and inflammation...
- Stem cell therapy for liver disease: parameters governing the success of using bone marrow mesenchymal stem cellsTom K Kuo
Institute of Biopharmaceutical Science, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Gastroenterology 134:2111-21, 2121.e1-3. 2008..The aim of this study was to critically analyze the various parameters governing the success of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cell-based therapy for treatment of liver diseases...
- Treatment of inflammatory diseases with mesenchymal stem cellsRobert E Newman
Osiris Therapeutics, Inc, 7015 Albert Einstein Drive, Columbia, MD 21046, USA
Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets 8:110-23. 2009..The current understanding of cellular and molecular targets underlying the mechanisms of MSCs action in inflammatory settings as well as clinical experience with hMSCs is summarized in this review...
- Direct evidence of mesenchymal stem cell tropism for tumor and wounding microenvironments using in vivo bioluminescent imagingShannon Kidd
Section of Molecular Hematology and Therapy, Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Stem Cells 27:2614-23. 2009..Importantly, these consistent findings were independent of tumor type, immunocompetence, and route of MSC delivery...
- Umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in severe and refractory systemic lupus erythematosusLingyun Sun
Department of Immunology and Rheumatology, The Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School, 321 Zhongshan Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu 210008, China
Arthritis Rheum 62:2467-75. 2010..This study was undertaken to assess the efficacy and safety of allogeneic UC MSCT in patients with severe and treatment-refractory systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- Mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of multiple sclerosis and other neurological diseasesAntonio Uccelli
Department of Neurosciences, Ophthalmology, and Genetics, University of Genoa, Italy
Lancet Neurol 10:649-56. 2011..Small clinical studies in different neurological diseases have suggested that MSCs are safe, paving the road for larger phase 2 studies addressing the effect of MSCs on clinical outcomes and markers of disease activity...
- Mesenchymal stem cells as an immunomodulatory therapeutic strategy for autoimmune diseasesEyal Ben-Ami
Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Autoimmun Rev 10:410-5. 2011....
- Mesenchymal stem cellsDah Ching Ding
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Tzu Chi University, Hualien, Taiwan, ROC
Cell Transplant 20:5-14. 2011..Future studies should explore the role of MSCs in differentiation, transplantation, and immune response in various diseases...
- MSCs: Biological characteristics, clinical applications and their outstanding concernsYi Ling Si
Institute of Basic Medicine Science, Chinese PLA General Hospital, 28 Fuxing Road, Beijing 100853, China
Ageing Res Rev 10:93-103. 2011..These interventions might help to establish a new clinical paradigm to turn MSC transplantation into a routine therapy for at least some diseases in the near future...
- Mesenchymal stromal cells: facilitators of successful transplantation?Karen English
Transplantation Research Immunology Group, Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, OX3 9DU Oxford, UK
Cell Stem Cell 7:431-42. 2010..This review examines the in vitro and in vivo evidence for the clinical use of bone marrow derived MSCs...
- IFATS collection: in vivo therapeutic potential of human adipose tissue mesenchymal stem cells after transplantation into mice with liver injuryAgnieszka Banas
Section for Studies on Metastasis, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Stem Cells 26:2705-12. 2008..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- A quantitative, randomized study evaluating three methods of mesenchymal stem cell delivery following myocardial infarctionToby Freyman
Boston Scientific Corporation, Natick, MA, USA
Eur Heart J 27:1114-22. 2006..This study was designed to quantitatively compare MSC engraftment rates after intravenous (IV), intracoronary (IC), or endocardial (EC) delivery in a porcine myocardial infarction (MI) model...
- Human mesenchymal stem cells xenografted directly to rat liver are differentiated into human hepatocytes without fusionYasushi Sato
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, Sapporo, 060 8543, Japan
Blood 106:756-63. 2005..In conclusion, we have demonstrated that MSCs are the most potent component in hepatic differentiation, as revealed by directly xenografting into rat livers...
- Adult mesenchymal stem cells: characterization, differentiation, and application in cell and gene therapyD Baksh
Cartilage Biology and Orthopaedics Branch, National Institute of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892 8022, USA
J Cell Mol Med 8:301-16. 2004..Current research efforts focused on elucidating the mechanisms regulating MSC differentiation should facilitate the design of optimal in vitro culture conditions to enhance their clinical utility cell and gene therapy...
- Autologous bone marrow-derived cultured mesenchymal stem cells delivered in a fibrin spray accelerate healing in murine and human cutaneous woundsVincent Falanga
Department of Dermatology, Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence, Rhode Island 02908, USA
Tissue Eng 13:1299-312. 2007..These findings indicate that autologous bone marrow-derived MSC can be safely and effectively delivered to wounds using a fibrin spray system...
- Mesenchymal stem cells: progress toward promiseK Le Blanc
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Division of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Cytotherapy 7:36-45. 2005..We believe MSC continue to provide a substantial scientific and therapeutic opportunity, and have reviewed some of the recent developments in the field...
- Assessment of therapeutic efficacy and fate of engineered human mesenchymal stem cells for cancer therapyLaura S Sasportas
Molecular Neurotherapy and Imaging Laboratory, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:4822-7. 2009..This study demonstrates the efficacy of diagnostic and therapeutic MSC in preclinical glioma models and forms the basis for developing stem cell-based therapies for different cancers...
- Use of donor bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells for treatment of skin allograft rejection in a preclinical rat modelPaolo Sbano
Department of Clinical Medicine and Immunological Sciences, Section of Dermatology, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
Arch Dermatol Res 300:115-24. 2008..Results of our study in a rat tissue transplantation model demonstrated a possible immunogenic role for donor (allogeneic) MSC, confirming the need of adequate preclinical experimentation before clinical use...
- Mesenchymal stromal cells. Biology of adult mesenchymal stem cells: regulation of niche, self-renewal and differentiationCatherine M Kolf
Cartilage Biology and Orthopaedics Branch, National Institute of Arthritis, and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 9:204. 2007..In addition we review recent research on the concept of stem cell niche, and its relevance to adult mesenchymal stem cells...
- Open-labeled study of unilateral autologous bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in Parkinson's diseaseNeelam K Venkataramana
Advanced Neuroscience Institute, BGS Global Hospital, Bangalore, India
Transl Res 155:62-70. 2010..The number of patients recruited and the uncontrolled nature of the trial did not permit demonstration of effectiveness of the treatment involved. However, the results encourage future trials with more patients to demonstrate efficacy...
- Human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells induce Th2-polarized immune response and promote endogenous repair in animal models of multiple sclerosisLianhua Bai
Case Western Reserve University, Centers for Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine, Translational Neuroscience, Department of Neurosciences, Case School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Glia 57:1192-203. 2009..Together, these data suggest that the BM-hMSCs represent a viable option for therapeutic approaches...
- Mesenchymal stem cell transplantation attenuates blood brain barrier damage and neuroinflammation and protects dopaminergic neurons against MPTP toxicity in the substantia nigra in a model of Parkinson's diseaseYin Xia Chao
Department of Anatomy, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
J Neuroimmunol 216:39-50. 2009....
- Mesenchymal stem cells: biological properties and clinical applicationsIgnacio García-Gómez
Autonoma University La Paz University Hospital idiPAZ, Laboratory of Cell Therapy, Madrid, Spain
Expert Opin Biol Ther 10:1453-68. 2010....
- The therapeutic potential of mesenchymal stem cell transplantation as a treatment for multiple sclerosis: consensus report of the International MSCT Study GroupMark S Freedman
University of Ottawa, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ontario, Canada
Mult Scler 16:503-10. 2010..This article reviews the consensus derived from our group on the rationale for mesenchymal stem cell transplantation, the methodology for generating mesenchymal stem cells and the first treatment protocol for ..
- Immunobiology of human mesenchymal stem cells and future use in hematopoietic stem cell transplantationKatarina Le Blanc
Center for Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:321-34. 2005..They are also of potential use in the treatment of organ transplant rejection and in autoimmune inflammatory bowel disorders where immunomodulation and tissue repair are needed...
- Mesenchymal stem cells promote proliferation of endogenous neural stem cells and survival of newborn cells in a rat stroke modelSeung Wan Yoo
Department of Anatomy, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon 443 749, Korea
Exp Mol Med 40:387-97. 2008..The results reinforce the prospects of clinical application using MSCs in the treatment of neurological disorders...
- Adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells markedly attenuate brain infarct size and improve neurological function in ratsSteve Leu
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Transl Med 8:63. 2010..The therapeutic effect of adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells (ADMSCs) on brain infarction area (BIA) and neurological status in a rat model of acute ischemic stroke (IS) was investigated...
- Mesenchymal stem cells derived from bone marrow favor tumor cell growth in vivoWei Zhu
School of Medical Technology, Jiangsu University, Zhenjiang, Jiangsu 212001, China
Exp Mol Pathol 80:267-74. 2006..These findings suggested that MSCs could favor tumor growth in vivo. It is necessary to carry out a study for assurance of the long-term safety before MSCs were used as a therapy tools in regenerative medicine and tissue engineering...
- Enhanced early chondrogenesis in articular defects following arthroscopic mesenchymal stem cell implantation in an equine modelMarkus M Wilke
Comparative Orthopaedics Laboratory, Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, C3 187, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
J Orthop Res 25:913-25. 2007..Mesenchymal stem cell grafts improved the early healing response, but did not significantly enhance the long-term histologic appearance or biochemical composition of full-thickness cartilage lesions...
- Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells ameliorate hepatic ischemia reperfusion injury in a rat modelHiroyuki Kanazawa
Division of Development of Advanced Treatment, Center for Development of Advanced Medical Technology, Jichi Medical University, Yakushiji City, Tochigi, Japan
PLoS ONE 6:e19195. 2011..Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are potential cell therapeutic targets for liver disease. In this study, we demonstrate the impact of MSCs against hepatic I/R injury and hepatectomy...
- Human mesenchymal stem cells home specifically to radiation-injured tissues in a non-obese diabetes/severe combined immunodeficiency mouse modelM Mouiseddine
Laboratoire Thérapie Cellulaire et Radioprotection Accidentelle, Institut de Radioprotection et de Surete Nucleaire IRSN, BP 17, F 92262 Fontenay aux Roses Cedex, France
Br J Radiol 80:S49-55. 2007..This study suggests that using the potential of hMSC to home to various organs in response to tissue injuries might be a strategy to repair the radiation-induced damages...
- Mesenchymal stem cells as therapeuticsBiju Parekkadan
Center for Engineering in Medicine and Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Shriners Hospital for Children, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 12:87-117. 2010..By integrating principles of MSC biology, therapy, and engineering, the field is armed to usher in the next generation of stem cell therapeutics...
- Treatment of Neural Injury with MSCsMichael Chopp; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term goal of this Program Project application is to translate our finding of therapeutic benefit after treatment of experimental stroke and traumatic brain injury with MSCs to the patient. ..
- Chemokine Synergy with PDGF Oligodendrocyte PrecursorsRobert Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..will define GRO-alpha as an important regulatory molecule in oligodendrogenesis and a potential target for therapy in diseases of myelin, such as Multiple Sclerosis, and disorders of unregulated gliogenesis such as oligodendroglioma ..
- Stem Cell-Based Therapies for Mitigation of Acute Radiation SyndromesChandan Guha; Fiscal Year: 2013..the critical difference between the two cell transplantation approaches is that endothelial or mesenchymal stem cell transplantation mediates the recovery of damaged host stem cells via accelerated hematopoiesis or intestinal ..
- Skin Stem Cells in Combined Radiation InjuryNelson J Chao; Fiscal Year: 2012..to assess the efficacy of three novel approaches: endothelial progenitors, cord blood cells or mesenchymal stem cell transplantation. These cellular populations have been previously shown to be highly effective in rescuing mice ..
- Immunobiology of mesenchymal stem cell transplantation in multiple sclerosisJEFFREY ALAN COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Phase 1 clinical trial that will assess the MS-relevant in vivo immunologic effects of autologous mesenchymal stem cell transplantation. This study will help determine whether this promising procedure might be an effective therapy for ..
- Skin Stem Cells in Combined Radiation InjuryNelson Chao; Fiscal Year: 2009..to assess the efficacy of three novel approaches: endothelial progenitors, cord blood cells or mesenchymal stem cell transplantation. These cellular populations have been previously shown to be highly effective in rescuing mice ..
- Manipulation of Prenatal Stem Cell Transplant BiologyAziz Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2004..In utero mesenchymal stem cell transplantation has been shown to result in site specific differentiation and long-term engraftment of skeletal ..
- OXIDATIVE STRESS IN HEART FAILURE: MECHANISMSJoshua Hare; Fiscal Year: 2008..Finally, the present studies in 3 highly relevant animal models will provide mechanistic insights complementary to those expected from ongoing clinical trials designed to test the utility of XO inhibitors in human HF therapy. ..
- Aging impairs stem-cell mediated myocardial repairJoshua Hare; Fiscal Year: 2008..Taken together, our studies will help guide the development of age-specific treatment strategies employing cellular cardiomyoplasty. ..
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Ventricular RemodelingJoshua Hare; Fiscal Year: 2004..Furthermore, these noninvasive techniques will be immediately transferable to human clinical trials. ..
- Culture and Lung Engraftment of Mesenchymal Stem CellsDarwin Prockop; Fiscal Year: 2006..3) Develop an in vivo assay for engraftment and differentiation of hMSCs to sites of tissue injury in lung. (4) Identify the properties of hMSCs that enhance their engraftment to specific sites of tissue injury in lung. ..
- Adult Stem Cells for Repair of Cardiac DamageDARWIN JOHNSON PROCKOP; Fiscal Year: 2010..The present application is to extend this work and to capitalize an unexpected discovery that it may justify infusing therapeutic intravenously, a much more attractive route for therapy than injection into the heart. ..
- Osteoprogenitors for Potential Therapy of OIDarwin Prockop; Fiscal Year: 2006..4) Determine the feasibility of correcting the gene defect in a patients own RS cells, (a) by overexpression of a cDNA for the wildtype COL I A I gene, or (b) by replacing a mutated COLlAl gene by homologous recombination. ..
- Responses to Surgical and Bronchoscopic Volume ReductionEdward Ingenito; Fiscal Year: 2006..We believe that by accomplishing these objectives, we can help advance this technology into the clinical arena. ..
- RESOLUTION OF CLINICAL LUNG INJURYMichael Matthay; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- 2006 Myelin Gordon ConferenceRobert Miller; Fiscal Year: 2006..In keeping with the goals of the Gordon Conference such interactions will provide impetus and direction to the field of myelin biology. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Force Propagation of Emphysema in VivoEdward Ingenito; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of these experiments will provide new insight into the role of mechanical forces in promoting injury in the intact emphysema lung, and the effect of mechanical forces on tissue remodeling. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Robotic Simulation: Tissue Function with In Vivo MotionsDavid Butler; Fiscal Year: 2007..These technologies will serve as a platform for studying injury, repair and reconstruction in the knee and other joints and to develop functional tissue engineering parameters. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- A Biological Basis for Repair of the ACLChristopher Evans; Fiscal Year: 2009..MRI, histology and immunohistochemistry will also be used to evaluate the healed ligament. These studies will advance our knowledge of the biology of the injured ACL and suggest novel, biologically-based approaches to healing. ..
- Pneumografting - a novel cell-based therapy for emphysemaEdward P Ingenito; Fiscal Year: 2010..We intend to advance this approach, known as pneumografting, into human trials under a physician-sponsored Investigation New Drug Application. ..
- Gordon Conference on MyelinRobert Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- 15th Biennial Meeting of the ISDNRobert Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004..This is an exciting time in developmental neuroscience and the types of scientific interactions afforded by this meeting will help to advance our understanding by bringing together workers in distinct but related areas. ..
- Cell phenotype-controlled mechanical signaling of MSCsDavid Butler; Fiscal Year: 2004..This technology can dramatically reduce time/expense during the development phase of TE fibrocartilage. ..
- Transfer of IL-1Ra cDNA to Osteoarthritic KneeChristopher Evans; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Oligodendrocyte Loss Following Early Ischemic InjuryRobert Miller; Fiscal Year: 2003..Completion of this project will identify candidate molecules that will be useful for the development of novel therapeutic interventions for treating a common and devastating pediatric CNS problem. ..
- Agents for in vivo control of adult stem cellsCarl Gregory; Fiscal Year: 2007..These molecules are clinically relevant for the treatment of diseases such as Osteogenesis Imperfecta (brittle bone disease) and malignant bone disease and critical size bone injuries. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Tissue Engineering Utilizing BMP Gene TherapyGREGORY HELM; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Tissue Engineering Evaluation Criteria for Musculoskeletal Tissue RepairDavid Butler; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Cardiovascular Development and Disease in the YoungMichael Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ATRIAL FIBRILLATION: MECHANISMS AND PREVENTIONMichael Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Biology/Transplantation of Multipotent Marrow Stem CellsEdwin Horwitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..Collectively, the data generated by this 5-year project will help to clarify several outstanding questions in stem cell biology and the therapeutic relevance of marrow stem cells with apparent multilineage potential. ..
- "In Vitro Mechanical Stimulation to Enhance Tendon Repair"David Butler; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our novel, interactive in vitro / in vivo study should help to develop in vitro predictors of in vivo repair outcome after surgery that also apply to other tissue systems. ..
- Mechanistic Determinants of Pacing-induced Cardiac MemoryMichael R Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Rather than being reductionist, the approach attempts to synthesize information so that we can better comprehend and impact on a clinically important problem. ..
- ENERGETICS IN HYPERTROPHIED AND REMODELED LEFT VENTRICLEJianyi Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of these experiments may lead to better preventive and therapeutic modalities for heart failure. ..
- Distinct functional phases in innate reconstitutionJeffery Auletta; Fiscal Year: 2008..Sound mentorship and established infrastructure will combine with the applicant's personal commitment in fostering his development into a fully funded independent investigator. ..
- MECHANISMS OF BIOENGINEERED SKIN IN HUMAN WOUNDSVincent Falanga; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed studies will advance our understanding of how a bioengineered skin product works in a human chronic wound and provide insight into further bioengineering needs. ..
- IDENTIFICATION AND PURIFICATION OF HUMAN STEM CELLSMakio Ogawa; Fiscal Year: 2001..NOD/SCID mouse model is more practical for limiting dilution studies. We already have exciting preliminary data regarding the use of myeloablated NOD/SCID newborn mice for quantitation of human engrafting cells. ..
- Neurogenesis in the Human BrainAlfredo Quinones Hinojosa; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Functional Tissue Engineering of Articular CondyleJeremy Mao; Fiscal Year: 2006..The anticipated findings may have implications in the ultimate ex vivo fabrication of tissue-engineered articular condyles using cell-based regenerative approaches. ..
- Stem Cell Based Soft Tissue ReconstructionJeremy J Mao; Fiscal Year: 2010..An interdisciplinary team of biomedical engineers, biologists, biomaterial scientists, imaging scientists and surgical consultants have been assembled to meet the challenges of realizing our goals. ..
- Kim-1 in Renal Epithelial Cell Motility and AdhesionBENJAMIN HUMPHREYS; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed studies will have great relevance in understanding the molecular mechanisms of renal regeneration and renal cell cancer invasion and metastasis. ..
- NEURAL CIRCUITRY OF THE KIDNEYMark Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Effect of estrogen on bone tissue engineeringLiu Hong; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will investigate estradiol to modulate MSCs-based tissue engineered constructs in vitro and to improve the bone formation and osteo-integration in osteoporotic environments. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Stem cell patch therapy in hearts with LV infarctionJianyi Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2004..By providing insight into the effects of the cellular patch transplantation, the results may lead to better preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic modalities for LV injury. ..
- The Emory-Morehouse Partnership to Reduce CV DisparitiesArshed Quyyumi; Fiscal Year: 2008..Aim 4: To enhance the education/training of fellows/practitioners engaged in CVD disparities research/practice and promote partnerships that enhance cardiovascular health within ethnic communities. ..
- Inhibition of Fas-apoptosis in Gastric CancerJeanMarie Houghton; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will provide critical insight into novel preventive, and anti-cancer strategies aimed at restoring Fas sensitivity within tumor cells and provide a new direction for cancer treatment. ..
- Interaction between HIV-1 and cell cycle proteinsAntonio Giordano; Fiscal Year: 2003..In particular, we will focus our attention on the cell cycle regulatory proteins, pRb2/pl30, Cdk9 and cycT1, which seem to be involved in AIDS-related tumorigenesis. ..
- Genetic Control of SP-B Gene Expression in the LungCong Yan; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Tissue Reconstituting Potential of Human Stem CellsMakio Ogawa; Fiscal Year: 2008..Specific Aim #3: To determine the developmental control of the tissue reconstituting potentials of the stem cells in neonatal and adult mouse xenografts. ..
- INTEGRINS IN ACUTE RENAL FAILUREMICHAEL GOLIGORSKY; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Endothelial Cell Regulation of Smooth Muscle PhenotypeRichard Powell; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- BONE SIALOPROTEIN: EXPRESSION & ROLE IN MINERALIZATIONRenny Franceschi; Fiscal Year: 2004..Such knowledge is essential for designing new strategies for bone regeneration to treat trauma and pathological conditions such as osteoporosis and periodontal disease. ..
- Endothelial dysfunction in acute renal ischemiaMICHAEL GOLIGORSKY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Number of publicationsand manuscriptsacceptedfor publication (not to exceed 10) 10 Other items (list): 1. Color illustrations from the grant application 2. Movies - intravital videomicroscopy supplement ..
- Effect of vertebral endplate composition on disc healthFrank Acosta; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Adeno-associated virus for IGF-I cartilage gene therapyAlan Nixon; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- fMRI Predictor Model for Stroke Locomotor RehabilitationBruce Dobkin; Fiscal Year: 2008..The study is a step toward using fMRI as a tool to develop theory- and evidencebased practices that lessen disabilities after stroke. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Integrin-Transglutaminase Associated and Cell AdhesionALEXEY BELKIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ultimately, this acquired knowledge will advance our understanding of basic mechanisms of cell-matrix interactions. ..
- TNF-alpha to TGF-beta Signal TransductionArnold Brody; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Lineage Specific Stem Cell Mobilization for Heart RepairYigang Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results of cytokine-mediated regeneration therapy may become a novel therapeutic strategy for MI. . ..
- Cellular Injury and AdaptationJ Cobb; Fiscal Year: 2008..A well-characterized therapy that improves Th1 responsiveness and survival after CLP, systemic IL-12, will be used to perturb the system, testing the robustness of the models. ..
- TURNING SCAR INTO VIABLE MYOCARDIUMRace Kao; Fiscal Year: 2004..Success of this project may provide innovative approaches to treat myocardial infarction or cardio-myopathies associated with muscle cell loss and interstitial fibrosis. ..
- ANTIICAM-1 AND RTPA TREATMENT OF EMBOLIC STROKEMichael Chopp; Fiscal Year: 2002..This technology and the proposed experiments will enhance our understanding of the mechanisms underlying microvascular dysfunction and occlusion after stroke and thrombolytic treatment. ..
- Genetics of Seizure Resistance: A Mutagenesis StrategySCOTT BARABAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this unique collaboration promise to provide new insights into the genetic factors that influence epilepsy, and will, perhaps, lead to a cure for this devastating neurological disorder. ..
- MGE Progenitor Cell Grafts and EpilepsySCOTT BARABAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of osteoblast function by endothelin-1Gregory Clines; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since sex steroids modulate the effects of ETA blockade, eugonadal and castrated mice will be analyzed for gross anatomic and histologic bone developmental abnormalities. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Seizure resistance in zebrafishSCOTT BARABAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results promise to provide new information about the genetics of seizure resistance and may lead to the design of novel anticonvulsant treatments designed to prevent epilepsy. ..
- Restoring Hematopoiesis Following Radiation InjuryAmelia Bartholomew; Fiscal Year: 2005..The use of 3rd party ex vivo expanded cryopreserved MSC is clinically attractive, since it potentially reduces the time to obtain MSC while increasing widespread availability for clinical use. ..
- CENTER FOR STROKE RESEARCHMichael Chopp; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our studies are designed to improve neurological function and the management of the stroke patient. ..