Genomes and Genes
Summary: Endoscopic examination, therapy or surgery of the pleural cavity.
Publications282 found, 100 shown here
- Hybrid thoracoscopic surgical and transvenous catheter ablation of atrial fibrillationLaurent Pison
Department of Cardiology, Maastricht University Medical Center and Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Am Coll Cardiol 60:54-61. 2012..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the feasibility, safety, and clinical outcomes up to 1 year in patients undergoing combined simultaneous thoracoscopic surgical and transvenous catheter atrial fibrillation (AF) ablation...
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy is a safe and versatile procedure: experience with 500 consecutive patientsMark W Onaitis
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Ann Surg 244:420-5. 2006..The outcomes after thoracoscopic lobectomy in patients with more complex pulmonary conditions are analyzed to determine safety, efficacy, and versatility...
- Analysis of hard thoracic herniated discs: review of 18 cases operated by thoracoscopyOlivier Gille
Spinal Unit, University Hospital, Bordeaux, France
Eur Spine J 15:537-42. 2006The authors retrospectively reviewed a series of 18 hard thoracic herniated discs (HTHD) operated by thoracoscopy. Isolated cases of HTHD have been reported in the literature, but no series describing these lesions has been published...
- Diagnostic approach to pleural effusion in adultsJose M Porcel
Internal Medicine Department, Arnau de Vilanova University Hospital, Lleida, Spain
Am Fam Physician 73:1211-20. 2006..Many pleural fluid tests are useful in the differential diagnosis of exudative effusions. Other tests helpful for diagnosis include helical computed tomography and thoracoscopy.
- Outcomes and complications following medical thoracoscopyFraser John Hall Brims
Department of Thoracic Medicine, University College London Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Clin Respir J 6:144-9. 2012b>Thoracoscopy is an invasive procedure that may be performed by physicians for the investigation of exudative pleural effusion using local anaesthesia, conscious sedation and a rigid thoracoscope.
- Pulmonary segmentectomy by thoracotomy or thoracoscopy: reduced hospital length of stay with a minimally-invasive approachB Zane Atkins
Department of Surgery, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1107-12; discussion 1112-3. 2007..This study compares thoracoscopic segmentectomy (TS) with open segmentectomy (OS)...
- Endometriosis of the diaphragm: four cases treated with a combination of laparoscopy and thoracoscopyCamran Nezhat
Center for Special Minimally Invasive Surgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, California 94304, USA
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 16:573-80. 2009..We aim to describe the clinical characteristics and the principles of combined laparoscopic and thoracoscopic management of women with diaphragmatic endometriosis at our institution...
- Treatment of sonographically stratified multiloculated thoracic empyema by medical thoracoscopyMartin H Brutsche
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland
Chest 128:3303-9. 2005In cases of empyema, some form of intervention, either chest tube drainage, thoracoscopy, video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS), or thoracotomy, with or without pleural fibrinolysis, is required...
- Ivor Lewis esophagectomy with manual esogastric anastomosis by thoracoscopy in prone position and laparoscopyG B Cadiere
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, European School of Laparoscopic Surgery, Saint Pierre University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Surg Endosc 24:1482-5. 2010..We report an Ivor Lewis esophagogastrectomy with manual esogastric anastomosis performed by thoracoscopy in the prone position.
- Near infrared thoracoscopy of tumoral protease activity for improved detection of peripheral lung cancerJose Luiz Figueiredo
Center for Molecular Imaging Research, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Cancer 118:2672-7. 2006Improvement in tumor detection using "smart" probes in combination with microcatheter fluorescence thoracoscopy was evaluated in a mouse model...
- Thoracoscopic stapled resection of multiple esophageal duplication cysts with different pathological findingsChul Ung Kang
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, St Vincent s Hospital, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Paldal Gu, Suwon, Gyeonggi Do, South Korea
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 34:216-8. 2008..No postoperative complications, including esophageal mucosal injury, occurred. A follow-up chest computed tomography revealed the complete resection of the cysts...
- Thoracoscopic resection of a paraaortic bronchogenic cystBaldassare Mondello
Cardiovascular and Thoracic Department, Policlinic University Hospital, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
J Cardiothorac Surg 5:82. 2010..The authors report the thoracoscopic treatment of a BMC having dense adhesions to the aortic arch. Diagnosis and surgical treatment is described. Review of the literature and surgical options on this topic are discussed...
- Minimally invasive esophagectomy: lessons learned from 104 operationsNinh T Nguyen
Department of Surgery, University of California, Irvine Medical Center, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Ann Surg 248:1081-91. 2008..To review the outcomes of 104 consecutive minimally invasive esophagectomy (MIE) procedures for the treatment of benign and malignant esophageal disease...
- Minimal access aortic valve replacement: effects on morbidity and resource utilizationNicolas Doll
Clinic for Heart Surgery, Heart Center, University of Leipzig, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 74:S1318-22. 2002..The aim of this study was to compare outcomes in patients undergoing minimal access versus conventional aortic valve replacement (AVR)...
- Minimally invasive surgery compared to open procedures in esophagectomy for cancer: a systematic review of the literatureR J J Verhage
Department of Surgery, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Minerva Chir 64:135-46. 2009..Moreover, the retrieved studies collectively point towards improved short term outcomes after MIE. These results should be confirmed in randomized controlled trials...
- Management of malignant pleural effusionsMateen H Uzbeck
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Adv Ther 27:334-47. 2010..This article presents a comprehensive review of pharmaceutical and nonpharmaceutical approaches to the management of malignant pleural effusion, and a novel algorithm for management based on patients' performance status...
- Virtual CT thoracoscopy: preoperative simulation for thoracoscopic surgery of esophageal cancerYoshiaki Morita
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Abdom Imaging 32:679-687. 2007....
- Is intravenous patient controlled analgesia enough for pain control in patients who underwent thoracoscopy?Jie Ae Kim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:930-5. 2009..This indicates that IV PCA and Epidural PCA are equally effective to control the postoperative pain after VATS lobectomy, which suggests that IV PCA may be used instead of Epidural PCA...
- Increased number of cerebral emboli during percutaneous endocardial pulmonary vein isolation versus a thoracoscopic epicardial approachLoes D Sauren
Academic Hospital Maastricht, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 36:833-7. 2009....
- The importance of classification in sympathetic surgery and a proposed mechanism for compensatory hyperhidrosis: experience with 464 casesS H Chou
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medical School, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100 Shih Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung, 80708, Taiwan
Surg Endosc 20:1749-53. 2006..A new classification is proposed to make the procedure more selective and to minimize the side effects and regret rate. Also, a proposed mechanism for compensatory hyperhidrosis is discussed...
- [Comparison of the short-term outcomes of patients with esophageal cancer after subtotal esophagectomy via thoracoscopy in left lateral position and in prone position]Yu Long Hou
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Nanjing Medical University, Jiangsu Huai an, China
Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi 15:950-3. 2012To compare the short-term outcomes in patients with esophageal cancer after subtotal esophagectomy via thoracoscopy in prone position and in left lateral position.
- Thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy for the relief of pain due to chronic pancreatitisK Leksowski
Department of Surgery, Military Clinical Hospital, , 85-915 Bydgoszcz, Poland
Surg Endosc 15:592-6. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy is a simple, minimally invasive, save procedure that appears to offer relief from pain, allow recovery of daily activities and improve the adequacy of the analgesic management...
- Thoracoscopy: general overview and place in the diagnosis and management of pleural effusionF Rodriguez-Panadero
Unidad Médico Quirúrgica de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocio, Sevilla, Spain
Eur Respir J 28:409-22. 2006
- Thoracic splanchnic nerves: implications for splanchnic denervationN Naidoo
Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Anatomy, University of Durban-Westville, Durban, South Africa
J Anat 199:585-90. 2001..This approach overlooks important nerve contributions and thereby may compromise clinical outcome. In the light of these variations, a reappraisal of current surgical techniques used in thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy is warranted...
- The role of video-assisted thoracic surgery for the treatment of lung cancer: lung lobectomy by thoracoscopy versus the standard thoracotomy approachK Inada
Department of Surgery II, Fukuoka University School of Medicine, Jonan, Japan
Int Surg 85:6-12. 2000..We conclude that VATS major lung resection is technically feasible. Stringent patient selection is important and special training is needed...
- A NOTES approach for thoracic surgery: transgastric thoracoscopy via a diaphragmatic incision in a survival porcine modelG D De Palma
Department of Surgery and Advanced Technologies, Center for Technical Innovation in Surgery ITC, University of Naples Federico IISchool of Medicine, Naples, Italy
Minerva Chir 65:11-5. 2010..The aim of this study was to assess the feasibility and the safety of transgastric endoscopic approach to the thoracic cavity, with lung biopsy, in a survival porcine model...
- Efficacy and safety of modified bilateral thoracoscopy-assisted Nuss procedure in adult patients with pectus excavatumYeung Leung Cheng
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 34:1057-61. 2008..In this study, we apply a modified bilateral thoracoscopic approach to adapt the Nuss procedure to adult patients...
- Thoracoscopy and solid tumors in children: a multicenter studyEmmanuelle Guye
Division of Pediatric Surgery, University of Saint Etienne, North Hospital, France
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:825-9. 2007The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of thoracoscopy in the treatment of solid thoracic tumors in children.
- Incidence of incisional recurrence after thoracoscopyT P Chen
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, 199 Tun Hwa North Road, Taipei, Taiwan 105
Surg Endosc 18:540-2. 2004..This study evaluates the incidence of incisional recurrence among patients with intrathoracic malignancy after diagnostic and therapeutic thoracoscopy.
- Thoracoscopy-assisted magnetic resonance guided microwave coagulation therapy for hepatic tumorsHisanori Shiomi
Division of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta Tsukinowacho, Otsu, Shiga, Japan
Am J Surg 195:854-60. 2008..When combined with magnetic resonance (MR) imaging, MCT can be used to treat hepatic tumors located in the subdiaphragmatic area that are difficult to approach by ultrasound, because of the overlaying lower lung field...
- Thoracoscopy for the acutely injured patientEddy H Carrillo
Division of Trauma Services, Memorial Regional Hospital, 3501 Johnson St, Hollywood, FL 33027, USA trauma1ehc aol com
Am J Surg 190:234-8. 2005..It has been our experience during the last decade that VATS is a safe, reliable, and effective alternative to conventional open thoracic surgery...
- Pleural controversy: close needle pleural biopsy or thoracoscopy-which first?Coenraad F N Koegelenberg
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, University of Stellenbosch and Tygerberg Academic Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
Respirology 16:738-46. 2011..Important considerations include the respective diagnostic yields of thoracocentesis, closed pleural biopsy and thoracoscopy; the incremental gain in diagnostic yield when sequentially combining these investigations; and the role of ..
- Outcomes after lobectomy using thoracoscopy vs thoracotomy: a comparative effectiveness analysis utilizing the Nationwide Inpatient Sample databaseSubroto Paul
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital System, New York, NY 10065, USA
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 43:813-7. 2013..However, as no randomized trial has been performed, there are many who question this...
- Limited effect of thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy in the treatment of severe chronic pancreatitis pain: a prospective long-term analysis of 75 casesHessel C J L Buscher
Department of Surgery, Anesthesiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Surgery 143:715-22. 2008..It offers good, short-term pain relief, but long-term success is difficult to predict. We analyze long-term results and identify factors predicting success of splanchnicectomy...
- Treatment of lone atrial fibrillation with a right thoracoscopic approachMark La Meir
Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, UCL Mont Godinne, Yvoir, Belgium
Ann Thorac Surg 83:2244-5. 2007..A simplified technique to treat patients in stand-alone atrial fibrillation with a right thoracoscopic approach is described. An electrical isolation of the four pulmonary veins (box lesion) is achieved with a microwave antenna...
- Bilateral thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy for pain control in chronic pancreatitisBethanie Hammond
Department of Surgery, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
Am Surg 70:546-9. 2004..The decrease in hospital admissions represents further quality of life improvement in this difficult to treat group of patients...
- Outpatient thoracoscopic limited sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis palmarisJ Y Hsia
Department of Surgery, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan
Ann Thorac Surg 67:258-9. 1999..This procedure has been used in 47 patients with hyperhidrosis palmaris. The early results have been favorable. We describe this fast, safe, economic, and effective method for the treatment of hyperhidrosis palmaris...
- The da Vinci robotic system for general surgical applications: a critical interim appraisalJohannes Bodner
Department of General and Transplant Surgery, Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
Swiss Med Wkly 135:674-8. 2005..The recently introduced robotic surgical systems were developed to overcome the limitations of conventional minimally invasive surgery. We analyse the impact of the da Vinci robotic system on general surgery...
- Robot-assisted thoracoscopic oesophagectomy for cancerJ Boone
Department of Surgery, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 96:878-86. 2009..Thoracoscopic oesophagectomy was introduced to reduce the morbidity of transthoracic oesophagectomy. The aim was to assess the short- and mid-term results of robot-assisted thoracoscopic oesophagectomy for oesophageal cancer...
- Medical thoracoscopy: experiences in Siriraj HospitalJamsak Tscheikuna
Division of Respiratory Disease and Tuberculosis, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 89:S62-6. 2006..One of its indications is for the diagnosis of undetermined pleural effusion. We report our experience in using medical thoracoscopy in investigating undiagnosed pleural effusion.
- Thoracoscopic aortopericardiosternopexy for severe tracheomalacia in toddlersKlaus Schaarschmidt
Helios Center of Pediatric Surgery, Berlin Buch, Germany
J Pediatr Surg 37:1476-8. 2002..Aortosternopexy from a left anterolateral thoracotomy is the procedure of choice in severe tracheomalacia. The authors report an alternative technique of modified thoracoscopic aortopericardiosternopexy...
- Single-port thoracoscopy for the treatment of pleural empyema in childrenMarcelo Martinez-Ferro
Division of Pediatric Surgery, National Pediatric Hospital, Juan P Garrahan, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Pediatr Surg 39:1194-6. 2004..This report is an evaluation of a single-port technique for the thoracoscopic treatment of pleural empyema in children...
- Early evacuation of traumatic retained hemothoraces using thoracoscopy: a prospective, randomized trialD M Meyer
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas 75235 8879, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 64:1396-400; discussion 1400-1. 1997..Failure to adequately evacuate blood from the pleural space after trauma may result in extended hospitalization and complications such as empyema...
- Thoracoscopy/laparoscopy in the staging of esophageal cancer: Maryland experienceMark J Krasna
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of Maryland Medical Center, 22 South Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 12:213-8. 2002..b>Thoracoscopy was successfully performed in 102 patients and was aborted in 4 patients because of pleural adhesions...
- Randomized comparative long-term survival study of endoscopic and thoracoscopic esophageal wall repair after NOTES mediastinoscopy in healthy and compromised animalsA Fritscher-Ravens
Homerton University Hospital, London, UK
Endoscopy 42:468-74. 2010..We compared endoscopic with thoracoscopic esophageal wall repair after full-thickness esophageal wall incision (FTEI) and NOTES mediastinoscopy in healthy versus compromised animals...
- Thoracoscopic versus open repair of tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal atresiaBrian Lugo
Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 18:753-6. 2008..Recent studies show the minimally invasive approach to the repair of esophageal atresia (EA) and tracheoesophageal fistula (TEF) is feasible. This study aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of the thoracoscopic versus open techniques...
- Semi-rigid thoracoscopy for undiagnosed exudative pleural effusions: a comparative studyZhen Wang
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Beijing Chaoyang Hospital, Beijing Institute of Respiratory Diseases, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 121:1384-9. 2008b>Thoracoscopy is highly sensitive and accurate for detecting pleural effusions...
- Thoracoscopic repair of tracheoesophageal fistula in newbornsSteven S Rothenberg
Hospital for Infants and Children at Presbetyrian St Lukes, Denver, CO, USA
J Pediatr Surg 37:869-72. 2002..Advancements in minimally invasive surgery in neonates have allowed even the most complex neonatal procedures to be approached using these techniques...
- Feasibility of thoracoscopic repair of esophageal atresia with distal fistulaKlaas M Bax
Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Surg 37:192-6. 2002..Evaluation of the feasibility of thoracoscopic correction of esophageal atresia with distal fistula...
- Consequences of one-lung flooding: a histological and immunological investigationT Lesser
Department of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, SRH Wald Klinikum, Gera, Germany
Eur J Med Res 13:432-8. 2008..The aim of the study was to investigate histological and immunohistological alterations induced by one-lung flooding (OLF)...
- A new method for intrathoracic anastomosis in laparoscopic esophagectomyN Thairu
Department of Surgery, Maidstone Hospital, Hermitage Road, Kent, ME16 9QQ, UK
Surg Endosc 21:1887-90. 2007..The authors have devised a method that obviates the need for a purse string or knot, simplifying the intrathoracic esophagogastric anastomosis while still achieving a safe anastomosis...
- Indications and technique of Nuss procedure for pectus excavatumDonald Nuss
Department of Surgery, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Children s Hospital of the King s Daughters, 601 Children s Lane, Suite 5B, Norfolk, VA 23507, USA
Thorac Surg Clin 20:583-97. 2010..This article discusses the clinical features of pectus excavatum and reviews the preoperative considerations and the steps involved in the repair of the deformity...
- Technique of minimally invasive Ivor Lewis esophagogastrectomy with intrathoracic stapled side-to-side anastomosisKfir Ben-David
Department of Surgery, University of Florida College of Medicine, 1600 SW Archer Road, P O Box 100109, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 14:1613-8. 2010..An intrathoracic linear stapled side-to-side anastomosis for gastroesophageal junction malignancy is feasible, results in low leak rates and less stenosis...
- Minimally invasive esophagectomy provides equivalent oncologic outcomes to open esophagectomy for locally advanced (stage II or III) esophageal carcinomaRajneesh K Singh
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Arch Surg 146:711-4. 2011....
- A novel technique for risk calculation of anastomotic leakage after thoracoscopic repair for esophageal atresia with distal fistulaDavid C van der Zee
Department of Pediatric Surgery KE 04 140 5, University Medical Center, 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
World J Surg 32:1396-9. 2008..This study was designed to determine the risk of anastomotic leakage after thoracoscopic repair for esophageal atresia by digitally measuring the length of the proximal esophagus and distance of carina to proximal esophagus...
- New procedure for purse-string suture in thoracoscopic esophagectomy with intrathoracic anastomosisK Misawa
Department of Surgery, Yokkaichi Municipal Hospital, 2 2 37 Shibata, Yokkaichi City, Mie, 510 8567, Japan
Surg Endosc 19:40-2. 2005..Although the circular stapler is a useful device for gastrointestinal anastomosis, it was difficult to place a purse-string suture and to fixate the anvil into the proximal esophagus endoscopically...
- Diagnostic and therapeutic thoracoscopy: techniques and indications in pulmonary medicineC Boutin
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de la Conception, Marseille, France
Tuber Lung Dis 74:225-39. 1993Recently thoracoscopy has been used with increasing frequency for the diagnosis and treatment of pleuropulmonary diseases.
- Thoracoscopy in infants and children: the state of the artSteven S Rothenberg
J Pediatr Surg 40:303-6. 2005
- Percutaneous transthoracic fenestration of an intramedullary neurenteric cyst in the thoracic spine with intraoperative magnetic resonance image navigation and thoracoscopyShinobu Takahashi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shiga University of Medical Science, Shiga, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 9:488-92. 2008..The authors discuss this minimally invasive technique and its limitations...
- [Da Vinci robot-assisted thoracoscopy for primary hyperparathyroidism: a new application in endocrine surgery]L Brunaud
Service de Chirurgie Generale, digestive et endocrinienne, CHU Nancy Brabois
J Chir (Paris) 145:165-7. 2008..We report a case of a patient with a parathyroid adenoma located in the aorto-pulmonary window which was resected using a left thoracoscopic approach aided by the Da Vinci robotic system...
- Thoracoscopy in management of postpneumonic pleural infectionsDavid A Waller
Consultant Thoracic Surgeon, Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, United Kingdom
Curr Opin Pulm Med 8:323-6. 2002..Controversy surrounds its comparative benefits over intrapleural fibrinolysis in early exudative or fibrinopurulent pleural empyema and its usefulness in the treatment of chronic pleural empyema...
- Single-dose antimicrobial prophylaxis in transoral surgical lung biopsy: a preliminary experienceYun Hen Liu
Laboratory Animal Center, Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Linko, Chang Gung University, 5, Fushing Street, Gueishan Shiang, Taoyuan, Taiwan 333, ROC
Surg Endosc 25:3912-7. 2011..This study aimed to evaluate the feasibility and outcome of transoral surgical lung biopsy under a single preoperative dose of parenteral antibiotics...
- CALGB 9380: a prospective trial of the feasibility of thoracoscopy/laparoscopy in staging esophageal cancerM J Krasna
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of Maryland Medical System, Baltimore 21201, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1073-9. 2001..We report the experience of an Intergroup NCI trial (CALGB 9380) evaluating the feasibility and accuracy of this staging modality...
- Cervical video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery using a flexible endoscope for bilateral thoracoscopyMoishe Liberman
CHUM Endoscopic Tracheobronchial and Oesophageal Center C E T O C, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 93:1321-3. 2012..We report on a cervical VATS approach for bilateral thoracoscopy, pleural biopsy, and talc pleurodesis using a flexible video endoscope without any intercostal incision...
- Thoracoscopic repair of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula: lessons learnedThang Nguyen
Department of Surgery, University of California at Irvine, Orange, California, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 16:174-8. 2006..Repair of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula has traditionally been performed via thoracotomy. This study aims to evaluate the feasibility and pitfalls of the thoracoscopic approach...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic resection of a giant anterior mediastinal tumor (lipoma) using an original sternum-lifting techniqueSadanori Takeo
Department of Thoracic Surgery, National Kyushu Medical Center, Fukuoka, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 53:565-8. 2005..This original method may be useful from the standpoint of minimal access, rapid recovery, less pain, and good cosmetic results for an anterior mediastinal giant tumor...
- Perioperative outcome of patients with esophageal atresia and tracheo-esophageal fistula undergoing open versus thoracoscopic surgeryPhilipp O Szavay
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Children s Hospital, Tuebingen, Germany
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 21:439-43. 2011..The aim of our investigation was to clearly define perioperative outcome and complication rates in children undergoing thoracoscopic versus open surgery for EA and TEF repair...
- Esophageal atresia surgery in the 21st centuryGordon A MacKinlay
The Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Semin Pediatr Surg 18:20-2. 2009..One child had a tracheo-bronchial fistula not seen at original thoracoscopy. There were 3 deaths (one child with Edward's syndrome, one with associated congenital diaphragmatic hernia and ..
- The benefit of stay sutures during thoracoscopic esophagoesophagostomy in patients with esophageal atresia: a technical reportAkihiro Shimotakahara
Department of Pediatric General and Urogenital Surgery, Juntendo University School of Medicine, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8421, Japan
Pediatr Surg Int 26:443-6. 2010..5-2 times larger than the diameter of the distal esophagus to make the shape of the anastomosis more streamlined without notching...
- One-lung flooding for video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery in animal experiments on pigs--oxygenation and intrapulmonary shuntS Klinzing
Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Germany
Res Exp Med (Berl) 199:333-40. 2000..Compared to total atelectasis, lung flooding reduces the pulmonary right-to-left shunt volume. The pulmonary function normalizes within 8 h after the operation...
- The role of thoracoscopy for the diagnosis of hidden diaphragmatic injuries in penetrating thoracoabdominal traumaReza Bagheri
Department of Thoracic Surgery and Endoscopic and Minimal Invasive Research Center, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:195-7; discussion 197-8. 2009..They underwent thoracoscopy in order to find a probable diaphragmatic injury from March 2005 to October 2007. The mean age was 26...
- Long-term follow-up of thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy for chronic pancreatitis painJ W Maher
Department of Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Surg Endosc 15:706-9. 2001..Thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy (SPL) has been reported to give excellent short-term pain relief in chronic pancreatitis. This study prospectively evaluates the long-term efficacy of SPL in pancreatitis patients...
- Benefits of the thoracoscopic approach for short- or long-gap esophageal atresiaHossein Allal
Department of Visceral Pediatric Surgery, Lapeyronie Arnaud de Villeneuve Hospital, Montpellier, France
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 15:673-7. 2005To evaluate the feasibility and results of thoracoscopy in various types of esophageal atresia (EA).
- Early experience with single-incision thoracoscopic surgery in the pediatric populationRajeev Prasad
Department of Pediatric Surgery, St Christopher s Hospital for Children Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 21:189-92. 2011..We have recently applied the single-incision approach for thoracoscopic procedures. We report our initial experience with single-incision thoracoscopic surgery in the pediatric population...
- Thoracoscopic repair of tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal atresiaDariusz Patkowsk
Department of Paediatric Surgery and Urology, Medical University of Wroclaw, Wroclaw, Poland
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 19:S19-22. 2009..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of the thoracoscopic repair of esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula (EA/TEF)...
- Thoracoscopic construction of an intrathoracic esophagogastric anastomosis using a circular stapler: transoral placement of the anvilT Ninh Nguyen
Department of Surgery, University of California Irvine Medical Center, Orange, California, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 86:989-92. 2008..The purpose of this study is to describe a novel technique for thoracoscopic construction of an intrathoracic esophagogastrostomy using a circular stapler...
- Changes in cardiocirculatory autonomic function after thoracoscopic upper dorsal sympathicolysis for essential hyperhidrosisM Noppen
Respiratory Department of the University Hospital AZ VUB, Free University, Brussels, Belgium
J Auton Nerv Syst 60:115-20. 1996..Further studies are needed to assess the long-term consequences of this procedure...
- An analysis of multiple staging management strategies for carcinoma of the esophagus: computed tomography, endoscopic ultrasound, positron emission tomography, and thoracoscopy/laparoscopyMichael B Wallace
Digestive Diseases Center, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston 29425, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 74:1026-32. 2002..Techniques studied included computed tomographic (CT) scan, endoscopic ultrasound with fine-needle aspiration biopsy (EUS-FNA), positron emission tomography (PET), thoracoscopy/laparoscopy, and combinations of these.
- Hemodynamic effects of carbon dioxide insufflation under single-lung ventilation during thoracoscopyT Ohtsuka
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 68:29-32; discussion 32-3. 1999....
- Size of the collateral intercostal artery in adults: anatomical considerations in relation to thoracocentesis and thoracoscopyR Porto Da Rocha
Department of Morphophysiopathology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, UNILUS, Santos, SP, Brazil
Surg Radiol Anat 24:23-6. 2002..an accurate anatomical basis for ensuring a low rate of vascular complications during thoracocentesis and thoracoscopy. Consequently the present study was undertaken to provide information on the origin, size and topographic ..
- Robotic-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (RATS) for benign and malignant esophageal tumorsJohannes C Bodner
Department of General and Transplant Surgery, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1202-6. 2005..Ideal indications for this new technology have yet to be established. The esophagus possesses attributes that are interesting for general thoracic robotic surgeons...
- Thoracoscopic video-assisted pulmonary vein antrum isolation, ganglionated plexus ablation, and periprocedural confirmation of ablation lesions: first results of a hybrid surgical-electrophysiological approach for atrial fibrillationSébastien P J Krul
Heart Failure Research Center, Department of Cardiology and Experimental Cardiology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 4:262-70. 2011..We hypothesize that meticulous electrophysiological confirmation of PVI results in fewer recurrences of AF during follow-up...
- Long-term results of bilateral thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy in patients with chronic pancreatitisH C J L Buscher
Department of Surgery, University Medical Centre Nijmegen, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 89:158-62. 2002..The management of pain in patients with chronic pancreatitis is difficult. The aim of this prospective study was to evaluate the early and long-term pain relief provided by bilateral thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy...
- Early and late morbidity and mortality and life expectancy following thoracoscopic talc insufflation for control of malignant pleural effusions: a review of 400 casesNikolaos Barbetakis
Thoracic Surgery Department, Theagenio Cancer Hospital, A, Simeonidi 2, Thessaloniki, 54007, Greece
J Cardiothorac Surg 5:27. 2010..It represents a terminal condition with short median survival (in terms of months) and the goal is palliation. Aim of our study is to analyze morbidity, mortality and life expectancy following videothoracoscopic talc poudrage...
- Minimally invasive esophagectomy: thoracoscopic mobilization of the esophagus and mediastinal lymphadenectomy in prone position--experience of 130 patientsChinnusamy Palanivelu
Department of Minimal Access Surgery, GEM Hospital, Coimbatore, India
J Am Coll Surg 203:7-16. 2006..This study shows the potential of the thoracoscopic part of the procedure in prone position to ease these difficulties...
- Quality of life after bilateral thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy: long-term evaluation in patients with chronic pancreatitisThomas J Howard
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Emerson Hall 523, 545 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 6:845-52; discussion 853-4. 2002..Bilateral thoracoscopic splanchnicectomy appears to work best in patients who have had no prior operative or endoscopic interventions...
- Natural orifice transesophageal mediastinoscopy and thoracoscopyF F Willingham
Department of Medicine, Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA, 02114 3117, USA
Surg Endosc 22:1042-7. 2008b>Thoracoscopy and mediastinoscopy are common procedures with painful incisions and prominent scars...
- Minimally invasive esophagectomy: state of the artM S Kent
The Heart, Lung and Esophageal Surgery Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15232, USA
Dis Esophagus 19:137-45. 2006..However, this operation is technically challenging. In this review we detail the procedure as performed in our center, and also discuss some recent developments...
- The surgical approach to esophageal atresia repair and the management of long-gap atresia: results of a surveyOri Ron
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Semin Pediatr Surg 18:44-9. 2009..Long-gap OA should be managed by a limited number of surgeons at each center. Even among experts, there is little consensus on the definition of or the optimum technique for repair of long-gap OA...
- Transvesical thoracoscopy: a natural orifice translumenal endoscopic approach for thoracic surgeryEstevao Lima
Life and Health Sciences Research Institute ICVS, School of Health Sciences, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal
Surg Endosc 21:854-8. 2007..Herein, we report our successful experience performing transvesical and transdiaphragmatic endoscopic approach to the thoracic cavity in a long-term survival study in a porcine model...
- Thoracoscopy talc poudrage : a 15-year experienceJ R de Campos
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of San Paulo, Medical School, San Paulo, Brazil
Chest 119:801-6. 2001To review our experience with thoracoscopy and talc poudrage during the previous 15 years with regards to efficacy, side effects, morbidity, and mortality.
- The five-box thoracoscopic maze procedureJohn Sirak
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 90:986-9. 2010..We present a new procedure that compartmentalizes virtually all arrhythmogenic anatomy etiologic in atrial fibrillation, enabling simple verification by demonstration of bidirectional block...
- Natural orifice transesophageal mediastinoscopy and thoracoscopy: a survival series in swineDenise W Gee
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Wang Ambulatory Care Center 460, 15 Parkman Street, Boston, MA 02114 3117, USA
Surg Endosc 22:2117-22. 2008Transesophageal endoscopic mediastinoscopy (MX) and thoracoscopy (TX) could reduce pain, eliminate intercostal neuralgia, provide better access to the posterior mediastinal compartment and pulmonary hilum, and improve cosmesis...
- Thoracoscopy for the management of advanced epithelial ovarian cancer--a preliminary reportScott M Eisenkop
Women s Cancer Center, Encino Tarzana, 5525 Etiwanda Ave, Suite 311, Tarzana, California 91356, USA
Gynecol Oncol 84:315-20. 2002To determine possible benefits of thoracoscopy for the management of patients with Stage IIIC and IV epithelial ovarian cancer.
- Single-incision thoracoscopic surgery for primary spontaneous pneumothoraxPin Ru Chen
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, China Medical University Hospital, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Cardiothorac Surg 6:58. 2011..However, single-incision thoracoscopic surgery (SITS) in primary spontaneous pneumothorax (PSP) has not been reported...
- An Audit of medical thoracoscopy and talc poudrage for pneumothorax prevention in advanced COPDPyng Lee
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Chest 125:1315-20. 2004..To prospectively study all patients with COPD and spontaneous pneumothorax (SP) who underwent thoracoscopic talc poudrage (TP) under local anesthesia to determine its efficacy and safety in recurrence prevention...
- Fluorescein-enhanced autofluorescence thoracoscopy in patients with primary spontaneous pneumothorax and normal subjectsMarc Noppen
Interventional Endoscopy Clinic and Respiratory Division, and Anaesthesiology Department, University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:26-30. 2006..In one patient with PSP, fluorescein-enhanced autofluorescence thoracoscopy (FEAT) has shown areas of parenchymal abnormality unnoticed during white light thoracoscopy (WLT).
- Tolerance of laparoscopy and thoracoscopy in neonatesNicolas Kalfa
Département de Chirurgie Viscérale Pédiatrique, Hopital Lapeyronie, CHU Montpellier, France
Pediatrics 116:e785-91. 2005..This study aimed to evaluate the tolerance of video-surgery in neonates and to determine the risk factors of per-operative complications...
- Thoracoscopic and laparoscopic esophagectomy: initial experience and outcomesD J Martin
Flinders University Department of Surgery, Flinders Medical Centre, Bedford Park, South Australia, 5042, Australia
Surg Endosc 19:1597-601. 2005..More recently, minimally invasive approaches have become feasible, with the potential to reduce perioperative morbidity. This study investigated the outcomes from one such approach...
- Necrotizing pneumonia in children submitted to thoracoscopy due to pleural empyema: incidence, treatment and clinical evolutionMauricio Macedo
Department of Surgery, Hospital Estadual Infantil Darcy Vargas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 36:301-5. 2010To assess the incidence of necrotizing pneumonia (NP) in children submitted to thoracoscopy, comparing patients with and without NP in terms of the presentation and clinical evolution.
- First experience with robot-assisted thoracoscopic esophagolymphadenectomy for esophageal cancerR van Hillegersberg
Department of Surgery, University Medical Center Utrecht, P O Box 85500, 3508, GA, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 20:1435-9. 2006..This morbidity rate could be reduced by the use of minimally invasive techniques. The feasibility of robot-assisted thoracoscopic esophagectomy (RTE) with mediastinal lymphadenectomy was assessed prospectively...
- Comparative Effectiveness of Surgical Treatments for Lung Cancer in the ElderlyJuan P Wisnivesky; Fiscal Year: 2013..post operative complications, length of stay, and costs) of NSCLC patients treated with video assisted thoracoscopy (VATS) vs...
- Dectection of occult mediastinal lymph node mestastasesMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2007..tomography, positron emission tomography), or are invasive requiring general anesthesia (mediastinoscopy, thoracoscopy)...
- Dectection of occult mediastinal lymph node mestastasesMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2002..tomography, positron emission tomography), or are invasive requiring general anesthesia (mediastinoscopy, thoracoscopy)...
- Predicting Chronic Pain after Thoracic Surgery: A Bayesian ApproachEmine Ozgur Bayman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both thoracotomy and thoracoscopy patients will be included in this study...
- Image-Guided Minimally Invasive Robotic SurgeryCHRISTOPHER HASSER; Fiscal Year: 2006..of minimally invasive surgery has emerged that uses a robot to hold surgical tools during laparoscopy or thoracoscopy, under direct control by the surgeon...
- Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Obstructive E*Todd Demmy; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will be instrumental in the development of a novel PDT drug without long-term restrictions of patients' sun exposure. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Use of Quantitative RT-PCR for Staging Esophageal CancerJames Luketich; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, we believe that this research will answer some very interesting questions about tumor biology and metastasis in esophageal cancer. ..
- Inflammation of Myofibroblasts and Loss of Elastic Recoil in Severe AsthmaSally E Wenzel; Fiscal Year: 2010..Completing these aims should lead to an improved understanding of the contribution of inflammation and injury repair in the small airways/alveoli to the development of severe asthma. These findings may improve therapy as well. ..
- Chronic Lung Allograft Rejection in MHC-Defined SwineJames Allan; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- THE ROLE OF A BONE MORPHOGENETIC PROTEIN IN LUNG CANCERJohn Langenfeld; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our long-term goal is to use BMP-2 inhibiting therapy as a modality to prevent the progression of lung cancer. ..
- Injury - Induced Endothelial DysfunctionFiemu Nwariaku; Fiscal Year: 2008..The overall objectives are to determine the role of intracellular oxidants, rho and MAPK pathways on junctional phosphorylation and endothelial dysfunction. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Strategies to Prevent COPD ExacerbationFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- TGF-BETA AND MATRIX METALLOPROTEINASES IN AIRWAY REPAIRSally Wenzel; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Th2 effects on eicosanoid pathways: implications for altered innate responses inSally E Wenzel; Fiscal Year: 2010..These three aims should provide new insights into how relationships between innate and adaptive/allergic immune responses influence inflammatory/repair, and finally clinical outcomes in chronic and acute asthma. ..
- Fetal Wound Repair- Cellular and Molecular MechanismsThomas Krummel; Fiscal Year: 2005..We are uniquely qualified to complete this proposal due to our long history of fetal wound healing research and our successful use of the cellular and molecular techniques described herein. ..
- Beta-2 Receptor Polymorphisms and Vasodilation in HumansJohn Eisenach; Fiscal Year: 2007..My long-term career goal is to become an independent investigator performing physiology and pharmacology studies directed at the genomics of the cardiovascular system in humans. ..
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Fish Oil Modulation of Tumor InflammationNOCIF ESPAT; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Microangiectasia Regulation of Lymphocyte MigrationSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- SURFACTANT AND TUBERCULOSIS PATHOGENESISJ Ferguson; Fiscal Year: 2002..tb and the host, and for the principal investigator to become an accomplished independent biomedical investigator. ..