Genomes and Genes
Summary: The excision of lung tissue including partial or total lung lobectomy.
Publications345 found, 100 shown here
- A randomized trial comparing lung-volume-reduction surgery with medical therapy for severe emphysemaAlfred Fishman
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2059-73. 2003..Lung-volume-reduction surgery has been proposed as a palliative treatment for severe emphysema. Effects on mortality, the magnitude and durability of benefits, and criteria for the selection of patients have not been established...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy: experience with 1,100 casesRobert J McKenna
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 81:421-5; discussion 425-6. 2006..This series is reviewed to assess these issues...
- Radical sublobar resection for small-sized non-small cell lung cancer: a multicenter studyMorihito Okada
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hyogo Medical Center for Adults, Akashi City, Hyogo, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:769-75. 2006..We sought to compare sublobar resection (segmentectomy or wedge resection) with lobar resection to test which one is the appropriate procedure for such lesions...
- Extra-pleural pneumonectomy versus no extra-pleural pneumonectomy for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: clinical outcomes of the Mesothelioma and Radical Surgery (MARS) randomised feasibility studyTom Treasure
Department of Mathematics, Clinical Operational Research Unit, University College London, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 12:763-72. 2011The effects of extra-pleural pneumonectomy (EPP) on survival and quality of life in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma have, to our knowledge, not been assessed in a randomised trial...
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy is a safe and versatile procedure: experience with 500 consecutive patientsMark W Onaitis
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Ann Surg 244:420-5. 2006..The outcomes after thoracoscopic lobectomy in patients with more complex pulmonary conditions are analyzed to determine safety, efficacy, and versatility...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized and nonrandomized trials on safety and efficacy of video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy for early-stage non-small-cell lung cancerTristan D Yan
University of Sydney, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Clin Oncol 27:2553-62. 2009..We performed the present meta-analysis of the randomized and nonrandomized comparative studies in an attempt to assess the safety and efficacy of VATS lobectomy...
- Adjuvant paclitaxel plus carboplatin compared with observation in stage IB non-small-cell lung cancer: CALGB 9633 with the Cancer and Leukemia Group B, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, and North Central Cancer Treatment Group Study GroupsGary M Strauss
Tufts Medical Center, Division of Medical Oncology, Tufts NEMC, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:5043-51. 2008..This report provides a mature analysis of Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) 9633, the only RCT designed specifically for stage IB NSCLC...
- Long-term follow-up of patients receiving lung-volume-reduction surgery versus medical therapy for severe emphysema by the National Emphysema Treatment Trial Research GroupKeith S Naunheim
St Louis University, 3635 Vista Blvd, St Louis, Mo 63110 0250, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:431-43. 2006..Two additional years of follow-up provide valuable information regarding durability...
- Surgical resection of pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer: a systematic review of published seriesJoachim Pfannschmidt
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 84:324-38. 2007....
- Incidence of major pulmonary morbidity after pneumonectomy: association with timing of smoking cessationAra A Vaporciyan
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery and Medical Informatics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 73:420-5; discussion 425-6. 2002The prevention of major pulmonary events (MPEs) after pneumonectomy may minimize postoperative mortality rates...
- Multicenter trial of neo-adjuvant chemotherapy followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy in malignant pleural mesotheliomaW Weder
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Oncol 18:1196-202. 2007The aim of this multicenter trial was to prospectively evaluate neo-adjuvant chemotherapy followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) and radiotherapy, including quality of life as outcome.
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy reduces the morbidity after surgery for stage I non-small cell lung cancerMasashi Muraoka
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Translational Medical Sciences, Nagasaki Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 54:49-55. 2006..We conducted this study to evaluate the surgical invasiveness and the safety of video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy for stage I lung cancer...
- Low incidence of bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy for lung cancerNikolaos D Panagopoulos
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Patras University School of Medicine, Patras 26500, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:571-5. 2009Bronchopleural fistula (BPF) after pneumonectomy for NSCLC remains a highly morbid complication. We examined possible factors including the surgical techniques associated with BPF development...
- Recent trends in resection rates among non-small cell lung cancer patients in EnglandSharma P Riaz
King s College London, Thames Cancer Registry, 1st Floor, Capital House, 42 Weston Street, London SE1 3QD, UK
Thorax 67:811-4. 2012..Lung cancer resection rates are low in England, but reports have indicated an increase in recent years. We analysed the recent trends in surgical resection by age, sex, socioeconomic deprivation and surgical procedure in England...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery versus open lobectomy for lung cancer: a secondary analysis of data from the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Z0030 randomized clinical trialWalter J Scott
Fox Chase Cancer Center, Department of Surgical Oncology, 7701 Burholme Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19111, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 139:976-81; discussion 981-3. 2010..We compared outcomes from participants in a randomized study comparing lymph node sampling versus dissection for early-stage lung cancer who underwent either video-assisted thoracoscopic or open lobectomy...
- Limited resection for noninvasive bronchioloalveolar carcinoma diagnosed by intraoperative pathologic examinationTerumoto Koike
Department of Thoracic Surgery and Pathology, Japanese Red Cross Nagaoka Hospital, Niigata, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1106-11. 2009..The establishment of limited resection procedures for non-small cell lung cancer is expected. Many groups have suggested noninvasive bronchioloalveolar carcinoma (BAC) to be a potential indication for limited resection...
- Low calretinin expression and high neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio are poor prognostic factors in patients with malignant mesothelioma undergoing extrapleural pneumonectomySteven Chuan Hao Kao
Asbestos Diseases Research Institute, Bernie Banton Centre, Sydney, Australia
J Thorac Oncol 6:1923-9. 2011Survival after extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) is variable in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM), and there are no validated prognostic factors that could be used preoperatively...
- The National Emphysema Treatment Trial (NETT) Part II: Lessons learned about lung volume reduction surgeryGerard J Criner
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:881-93. 2011..In this review, we summarize what we currently know about the role of LVRS in the treatment of severe emphysema as a result of insights gained from the NETT and provide a brief review of the newer techniques of lung volume reduction...
- Pulmonary sclerosing hemangioma presenting with dense spindle stroma cells: a potential diagnostic pitfallXu Yong Lin
Department of Pathology, The First Affiliated Hospital and College of Basic Medical Sciences, China Medical University, Shenyang 110001, China
Diagn Pathol 7:174. 2012....
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy facilitates the delivery of chemotherapy after resection for lung cancerRebecca P Petersen
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1245-9; discussion 1250. 2007..We conducted a study of patients who underwent anatomic resection with adjuvant chemotherapy to determine if thoracoscopic lobectomy enables more effective administration of adjuvant chemotherapy than lobectomy by thoracotomy...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of prophylactic respiratory physiotherapy in pulmonary lobectomyGonzalo Varela
Section of Thoracic Surgery, Salamanca University Hospital, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:216-20. 2006..To evaluate the cost-effectiveness balance of implementing an intensive program of chest physiotherapy in pulmonary lobectomy...
- Safety of thoracoscopic lobectomy in locally advanced lung cancerMark Hennon
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 18:3732-6. 2011..Thoracoscopic lobectomy is well established for the treatment of early non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Its safety and efficacy for advanced-stage disease remain uncertain...
- Lung volume reduction by bronchoscopic administration of steamMichael J Emery
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and Seattle Institute for Biomedical and Clinical Research, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:1282-91. 2010..However, LVR by these methods is limited by temporary or incomplete collapse and/or residual atelectatic and scarred tissue volumes. Heat-induced ablation of lung tissue is currently under investigation as an alternative LVR methodology...
- Sclerosing haemangioma with lymph node metastasisNai Chuan Chien
Departments of Chest Surgery, Buddhist Dalin Tzu Chi General Hospital, Chiayi, Taiwan
Respirology 14:614-6. 2009..Investigation of more cases and long-term follow up are necessary to assess the clinical significance of lymph node metastasis...
- Morbidity, survival, and site of recurrence after mediastinal lymph-node dissection versus systematic sampling after complete resection for non-small cell lung cancerDidier Lardinois
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 80:268-74; discussion 274-5. 2005....
- Lobectomy by video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) versus thoracotomy for lung cancerRaja M Flores
Department of Surgery, Thoracic Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:11-8. 2009..However, a well-balanced comparison of the two procedures is lacking in the literature...
- Long-term outcome of initially unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated with 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan (FOLFOXIRI) followed by radical surgery of metastasesGianluca Masi
Unità Operativa Oncologia Medica, Azienda USL 6, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Livorno, Italy
Ann Surg 249:420-5. 2009..The objective of this study was to evaluate the long-term outcome of resected patients and the impact of FOLFOXIRI on perioperative morbidities, mortality, and chemotherapy induced hepatotoxicity...
- Prospective randomized study evaluating a biodegradable polymeric sealant for sealing intraoperative air leaks that occur during pulmonary resectionMark S Allen
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 77:1792-801. 2004..To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of a new biodegradable polymeric sealant to close intraoperative air leaks after pulmonary resection...
- Multicenter phase II trial of neoadjuvant pemetrexed plus cisplatin followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy and radiation for malignant pleural mesotheliomaLee M Krug
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:3007-13. 2009Neoadjuvant pemetrexed plus cisplatin was administered, followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) and hemithoracic radiation (RT), to assess the feasibility and efficacy of trimodality therapy in stage I to III malignant pleural ..
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy: single institutional experience with 704 casesKwhanmien Kim
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Ann Thorac Surg 89:S2118-22. 2010..However, questions remain as to whether VATS lobectomy reduces local recurrence and improves long-term survival in patients with NSCLC...
- Guidelines on the radical management of patients with lung cancerEric Lim
Academic Division of Thoracic Surgery, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, UK
Thorax 65:iii1-27. 2010....
- Developing a VATS lobectomy programme--can VATS lobectomy be taught?Jonathan Ferguson
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:806-9. 2006..This may, in part, reflect difficulty in acquiring appropriate skills. We have evaluated the effect of experience and training on surgical outcomes during the development and establishment of a VATS lobectomy programme...
- Ten traps for the unwary in surgical series: a case study in mesothelioma reportsTom Treasure
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Guy s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:1414-8. 2007
- Prognostic factors in patients with pathologic T1-2N1M0 disease in non-small cell carcinoma of the lungKatsunari Matsuoka
Department of Thoracic Surgery, National Hospital Organization Himeji Medical Center, Himeji City, Hyogo, Japan
J Thorac Oncol 2:1098-102. 2007..Patients with stage II non-small cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC) represent a heterogeneous subgroup with variable 5-year survival rates. The influence of the type of lymph node involvement on survival and recurrence was investigated...
- Outcome for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma referred for Trimodality therapy in Western AustraliaArman Hasani
Department of Medical Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Western Australia, Australia
J Thorac Oncol 4:1010-6. 2009Trimodality therapy (TMT), consisting of extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP), preoperative or postoperative combination chemotherapy, and high-dose hemithoracic radiotherapy, is the only therapy reported to achieve long-term survival in ..
- Physiologic evaluation of the patient with lung cancer being considered for resectional surgery: ACCP evidenced-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition)Gene L Colice
Director, Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Respiratory Services, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving St NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Chest 132:161S-77S. 2007..This section of the guidelines is intended to provide an evidence-based approach to the preoperative physiologic assessment of a patient being considered for surgical resection of lung cancer...
- Ipsilateral diaphragmatic motion and lung function in long-term pneumonectomy patientsPaula Ugalde
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 86:1745-51; discussion 1751-2. 2008..This study was conducted to investigate potential benefits of this strategy on postoperative lung function...
- Changes in lung function after surgery for mesotheliomaTill Ploenes
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Medical Center Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 21:48-55. 2013..The aim of this study was to determine the parameters of pulmonary function before and after pleurectomy/decortication or extrapleural pleuropneumonectomy...
- Pecoma of the lung: a benign tumor with extensive 18F-2-deoxy-D-glucose uptakeNikolaos Zarbis
Department of Thoracic Surgery, 251 General Hospital of the Hellenic Air Force, Athens, Greece
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 6:676-8. 2007..A subset of pecomas could conceal a malignant potential...
- Pulmonary toxicity following IMRT after extrapleural pneumonectomy for malignant pleural mesotheliomaClaus Andrup Kristensen
Department of Oncology, Copenhagen University Hospital Rigshospitalet, Denmark
Radiother Oncol 92:96-9. 2009..The present study reports and analyses the incidence of fatal pulmonary toxicity in patients treated at Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen...
- Morbidity in video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy for clinical stage I non-small cell lung cancer: is VATS lobectomy really safe?R Kawachi
Thoracic Surgery, Kyorin University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 57:156-9. 2009..The objective of this study was to compare video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy (VATS lobectomy) with standard thoracotomy in terms of morbidity and mortality...
- Multimodality strategies in malignant pleural mesotheliomaWalter Weder
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 21:172-6. 2009..Radical tumor resection by means of extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) is now feasible with acceptable morbidity and mortality, even after neoadjuvant chemotherapy, if ..
- Adjuvant chemotherapy for surgically resected non-small cell lung cancerStephanie Heon
Lowe Center for Thoracic Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 450 Brookline Avenue, Dana Building 1234, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 144:S39-42. 2012..Current trials are also underway to define the role of novel targeted therapies, such as inhibitors of the epidermal growth factor receptor and monoclonal antibodies, in adjuvant treatment strategies...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery systematic mediastinal nodal dissection and stage migration: impact on clinical pathwayKhalid Amer
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Cardiovascular and Thoracic Unit, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 40:1474-81. 2011....
- Hybrid video-assisted thoracic surgery-robotic minimally invasive right upper lobe sleeve lobectomyThomas Schmid
Clinic of Visceral, Transplant and Thoracic Surgery, Department of Operative Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Ann Thorac Surg 91:1961-5. 2011..We report on a combined robotic and VATS approach for a true minimally invasive right upper sleeve lobectomy. To our knowledge it is the first report of this kind...
- Bronchoscopic thermal vapour ablation therapy in the management of heterogeneous emphysemaGregory Snell
Allergy Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, The Alfred Hospital, 55 Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Eur Respir J 39:1326-33. 2012..BTVA therapy results in clinically relevant improvements in lung function, quality of life and exercise tolerance in upper lobe predominant emphysema...
- Is it safe to include octogenarians at the start of a video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy programme?Khalid Amer
The Cardiovascular and Thoracic Unit, Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 41:346-52. 2012..The study aimed to investigate the safety of including patients ≥ 80 years of age at the start of a video-assisted thoracic surgery major pulmonary resection (VMPR) programme...
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy for early stage malignant pleural mesothelioma: a harmful procedureOttavio Rena
Thoracic Surgery Unit, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Maggiore della Carita, Novara, Italy
Lung Cancer 77:151-5. 2012..quality of life (QoL) and disease-control in malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) of extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) and pleurectomy/decortication (P/D) are compared...
- Five-year survival does not equal cure in non-small cell lung cancer: a Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results-based analysis of variables affecting 10- to 18-year survivalMatthew O Hubbard
Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44124, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 143:1307-13. 2012..Data on survival beyond 5 years are sparse. We sought to elucidate variables affecting 10- to 18-year survival...
- Pleurectomy/decortication is superior to extrapleural pneumonectomy in the multimodality management of patients with malignant pleural mesotheliomaLoic Lang-Lazdunski
Department of Thoracic Surgery, London and Division of Cancer Studies, King s College London, London, United Kingdom
J Thorac Oncol 7:737-43. 2012..To compare the outcomes of two different multimodality regimens involving neoadjuvant chemotherapy, extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) and adjuvant radiotherapy versus pleurectomy/decortication (P/D), hyperthermic pleural lavage with ..
- A rare tumor of the lung: inflammatory myofibroblastic tumorNawal Hammas
Department of Pathology, Hassan II University Hospital, Fez, 30000, Morocco
Diagn Pathol 7:83. 2012..Chest X-ray and computed tomography revealed the presence of a left lower lobe lung mass. After pneumonectomy, histological examination combined with immunohistochemical study discovered an inflammatory myofibroblastic ..
- The alveolar epithelial differentiation of glandular inner lining cells in a mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the lung: a case reportHong Tao Xu
Department of Pathology, First Affiliated Hospital and College of Basic Medical Sciences of China Medical University, Shenyang, 110001, China
Diagn Pathol 7:137. 2012..These findings for the first time demonstrated a rare alveolar epithelial differentiation of glandular inner lining cells in a mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the lung...
- Randomized trial of mediastinal lymph node sampling versus complete lymphadenectomy during pulmonary resection in the patient with N0 or N1 (less than hilar) non-small cell carcinoma: results of the American College of Surgery Oncology Group Z0030 TrialGail E Darling
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 141:662-70. 2011..To determine whether mediastinal lymph node dissection improves survival compared with mediastinal lymph node sampling in patients undergoing resection for N0 or nonhilar N1, T1, or T2 non-small cell lung cancer...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy: state of the art and future directionsJason P Shaw
Division of Thoracic Surgery, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York 10029, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:S705-9. 2008..Several published reports suggest thoracoscopic resection is safe, with the potential advantage of shorter hospital stay, quicker recovery, and comparable oncologic results...
- Pulmonary segmentectomy by thoracotomy or thoracoscopy: reduced hospital length of stay with a minimally-invasive approachB Zane Atkins
Department of Surgery, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1107-12; discussion 1112-3. 2007..This study compares thoracoscopic segmentectomy (TS) with open segmentectomy (OS)...
- Efficacy and safety of topical application of human fibrinogen/thrombin-coated collagen patch (TachoComb) for treatment of air leakage after standard lobectomyGyorgy Lang
Thoracic Surgery Clinic, Korányi National Institute for Pulmonology, Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 25:160-6. 2004..Persisting air leakage after pulmonary resection remains a significant problem. The aim of the study was to evaluate the incidence of air leakage after standard lobectomy and test the efficacy and safety of TachoComb (TC)...
- Left thoracotomy for aortic and mitral valve surgery in a case of mediastinal displacement due to pneumonectomyTheodoro Barreda
Departement de Chirurgie Cardiovasculaire, Institut de Cardiologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Heart Valve Dis 17:239-42. 2008..Four years earlier, he had undergone a left pneumonectomy for a bronchial carcinoma...
- Mortality, complications and loss of pulmonary function after pneumonectomy vs. sleeve lobectomy in patients younger and older than 70 yearsEmanuel Melloul
Division of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:986-9. 2008Retrospective single institution analysis of all patients undergoing sleeve lobectomy or pneumonectomy between 2000 and 2005...
- Systematic node dissection by VATS is not inferior to that through an open thoracotomy: a comparative clinicopathologic retrospective studyAtsushi Watanabe
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Surgery 138:510-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to elucidate the feasibility and safety of SND by VATS...
- Prospective European multicenter randomized trial of PleuraSeal for control of air leaks after elective pulmonary resectionPaul De Leyn
University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 141:881-7. 2011..We sought to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a synthetic bioresorbable pleural sealant (PleuraSeal; Covidien, Bedford, Mass) to treat air leaks after pulmonary resection...
- An analysis, systematic review, and meta-analysis of the perioperative mortality after neoadjuvant therapy and pneumonectomy for non-small cell lung cancerAnthony W Kim
Section of Thoracic Surgery, School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, Conn 06520, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 143:55-63. 2012b>Pneumonectomy after neoadjuvant therapy remains controversial.
- Is thoracoscopic pneumonectomy safe?Rohit K Sahai
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Roswell Park Cancer Institute and University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1086-92. 2009While thoracoscopic surgical lobectomy is an established operation, the safety of thoracoscopic pneumonectomy (TP) is uncertain.
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery for clinical stage I lung cancer in octogenariansMingyon Mun
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Toranomon Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 85:406-11. 2008..The purpose of this retrospective study was to investigate the value of video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) for clinical stage I lung cancer in octogenarians...
- Pulmonary artery sarcoma with angiosarcoma phenotype mimicking pleomorphic malignant fibrous histiocytoma: a case reportOlga L Bohn
Department of Pathology, Christus Mugerza UPAEP University Hospital, Puebla, 72000, Mexico
Diagn Pathol 7:154. 2012..Intravascular angiosarcomas are aggressive neoplasms, often associated with poor outcome...
- Conditional cancer-specific versus cardiovascular-specific survival after lobectomy for stage I non-small cell lung cancerShawn S Groth
Division of General Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 90:375-82. 2010..There may be a point during follow-up when patients who undergo lobectomy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) are as likely to die of cardiovascular disease as of cancer...
- Management of alveolar air leaks after pulmonary resectionSunil Singhal
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 89:1327-35. 2010..We used available literature and expert consensus to formulate suggestions regarding the preferred approaches to both routine and prolonged alveolar air leaks. This review summarizes our findings...
- Pneumonectomy vs. sleeve resection for non-small cell lung carcinoma in the elderly: analysis of short-term and long-term resultsS Bolukbas
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Dr Horst Schmidt Klinik, Wiesbaden, Germany
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 59:142-7. 2011..Aim of the study was to assess the short- and long-term results of sleeve resections and pneumonectomies for centrally located non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in a cohort of elderly patients...
- A prospective randomized trial comparing completion technique of fissures for lobectomy: stapler versus precision dissection and sealantAndrea Droghetti
Thoracic Surgery Division, Carlo Poma Hospital, Mantova, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:383-91. 2008..This randomized and controlled trial evaluates 2 different surgical techniques for the completion of interlobar fissures during pulmonary lobectomy to establish which is superior in preventing air leakage...
- Pneumonectomy: quality of life and long-term resultsC Menna
Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of L Aquila, Teramo, Italy
Minerva Chir 67:219-26. 2012b>Pneumonectomy is the standard surgery for resectable locally advanced lung cancer...
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy is associated with lower morbidity compared with thoracotomyNestor R Villamizar
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:419-25. 2009..The incidence of postoperative complications has not been thoroughly assessed. This study analyzes morbidity after lobectomy to compare the thoracoscopic approach and thoracotomy...
- [Right main bronchus tumoral obstruction during left pneumonectomy]P Markowicz
Service d Anesthésie, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, 97400 Saint Pierre, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 25:648-51. 2006We report a case of severe airway obstruction during a pneumonectomy, due to a tumor embolus in the contralateral main bronchus. Trachea was intubated with a single-lumen tube with a bronchial blocker...
- Effect of selective lymph node dissection based on patterns of lobe-specific lymph node metastases on patient outcome in patients with resectable non-small cell lung cancer: a large-scale retrospective cohort study applying a propensity scoreFutoshi Ishiguro
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Aichi Cancer Center Hospital, Nagoya 461 8681, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 139:1001-6. 2010..However, selective mediastinal lymph node dissection based on lobe-specific metastases (selective dissection) has often been performed. This study was designed to evaluate the validity of the selective lymph node dissection...
- Evolution to video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy after training: initial results of the first 30 patientsThomas Ng
Department of Surgery, Brown Medical School, 2 Dudley Street, Providence, RI 02905, USA
J Am Coll Surg 203:551-7. 2006..Few thoracic training programs offer sufficient experience in this technically demanding procedure. This article describes the evolution of a new graduate's practice from open thoracotomy to VATS lobectomy...
- The two-incision approach for video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy: an initial experienceJose Maria Borro
Hospital Universitario de La Coruña, La Coruna, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 39:120-6. 2011..We have analysed retrospectively, the characteristics and postoperative evolution of patients undergoing VATS lobectomies using two ports...
- Outcome and surgical strategy in bronchial carcinoid tumors: single institution experience with 252 patientsFederico Rea
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Sciences, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:186-91. 2007..To evaluate type of surgery, long-term survival and factors influencing outcome in pulmonary carcinoid tumors...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) lobectomy: 13 years' experienceMiguel Congregado
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena, Avda Dr Fedriani 1, 41071, Seville, Spain
Surg Endosc 22:1852-7. 2008..The aim of this paper is to show our technique for VATS lobectomy and our experience and outcomes obtained...
- Bronchial mucoepidermoid carcinoma in childrenM Wu
Department of Thoracic Surgery, 2nd Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 59:443-5. 2011..5 and 6 years. Despite its extremely rare occurrence in childhood, the possibility of bronchial mucoepidermoid carcinoma should be kept in mind when encountering a child presenting with symptoms of recurrent pneumonia...
- Postpneumonectomy lung expansion elicits hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha signalingQuiyang Zhang
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9034, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L497-504. 2007..This pathway could play an important role in mediating lung growth and remodeling during maturation and post-PNX compensation...
- Induction chemotherapy, extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) and adjuvant hemi-thoracic radiation in malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM): Feasibility and resultsFederico Rea
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of Padua, Policlinico di Padova, Italy
Lung Cancer 57:89-95. 2007..Trimodality therapy results have led us to test induction chemotherapy followed by EPP and adjuvant radiotherapy in stages I-III of MPM. The aim of our study was to evaluate the feasibility of this protocol and to estimate survival...
- Functional advantage after radical segmentectomy versus lobectomy for lung cancerHiroaki Harada
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hyogo Medical Center for Adults, Akashi, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 80:2041-5. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the degree of postoperative functional loss in patients undergoing segmentectomy or lobectomy for lung cancer...
- Prediction of pulmonary function after lung lobectomy by subsegments counting, computed tomography, single photon emission computed tomography and computed tomography: a comparative studyKentaro Yoshimoto
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 8556, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 35:408-13. 2009..The aim of the present study was to determine the optimal method of predicting postoperative pulmonary function (PPF) after lung lobectomy...
- Quantification of the impact of segmentectomy on pulmonary function by perfusion single-photon-emission computed tomography and multidetector computed tomographyKentaro Yoshimoto
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:1200-5. 2009..The impact of segmentectomy for preservation of pulmonary function was quantified by using a co-registered perfusion single-photon-emission computed tomography and multidetector computed tomography (SPECT/CT)...
- Intentional limited pulmonary resection for peripheral T1 N0 M0 small-sized lung cancerTeruaki Koike
Division of Chest Surgery, Niigata Cancer Center Hospital, Niigata, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 125:924-8. 2003..The present study was undertaken to demonstrate that limited pulmonary resection for peripheral small-sized lung cancer yields outcomes not inferior to those of lobectomy...
- Complete resection of pulmonary inflammatory pseudotumors has excellent long-term prognosisDominique Fabre
Department of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery and Heart Lung Transplantation, Hopital Marie Lannelongue, Le Plessis Robinson, Paris Sud University, France
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:435-40. 2009..We present a single large institutional experience in patients with pulmonary inflammatory pseudotumor and propose guidelines for treatment of this patient population...
- Sublobar resections in stage IA non-small cell lung cancer: segmentectomies result in significantly better cancer-related survival than wedge resectionsWulf Sienel
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 33:728-34. 2008..However, a prognostic impact of this observation has never been shown and is still under debate. Therefore, this study has been performed to analyse the cancer-related survival of sublobar resections in stage IA patients...
- Comparative gene expression profiling of post-natal and post-pneumonectomy lung growthJ C Wolff
Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research, Bad Nauheim, Germany
Eur Respir J 35:655-66. 2010..We compared lung gene expression in the phase of induction of post-natal and post-pneumonectomy alveolarisation to identify regulatory genes involved in both processes...
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy followed by intracavitary intraoperative hyperthermic cisplatin with pharmacologic cytoprotection for treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma: a phase II prospective studyTamara R Tilleman
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:405-11. 2009We sought to prospectively determine the feasibility and safety of hyperthermic intraoperative intracavitary cisplatin perfusion immediately after extrapleural pneumonectomy in the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- A phase III randomized trial of lobectomy versus limited resection for small-sized peripheral non-small cell lung cancer (JCOG0802/WJOG4607L)Kenichi Nakamura
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Kanagawa Cancer Center, 1 1 2, Nakao, Asahi ku, Yokohama 241 0815, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 40:271-4. 2010..This study is one of the first intergroup studies in Japan between the Japan Clinical Oncology Group and the West Japan Oncology Group...
- A randomized trial of systematic nodal dissection in resectable non-small cell lung cancerYi long Wu
Lung Cancer Research Center, 3rd University Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou 510630, PR China
Lung Cancer 36:1-6. 2002..We conducted a randomized trial to investigate whether systematic nodal dissection (SND) is superior to mediastinal lymph nodal sampling (MLS) in surgical treatment of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Predicting pulmonary complications after pneumonectomy for lung cancerFrancisco Javier Algar
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Reina Sofia, Avda, Menendez Pidal s n, 14004 Cordoba, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:201-8. 2003Patients undergoing pneumonectomy for lung cancer are thought to be at high risk for the development of postoperative pulmonary complications (PC) and these complications are associated with high mortality rates...
- Pulmonary metastasectomy in colorectal cancer: a systematic review and quantitative synthesisFrancesca Fiorentino
Clinical Operational Research Unit, Department of Mathematics, University College London London WC1H 0BT
J R Soc Med 103:60-6. 2010..There have been no randomized trials of effectiveness. We needed evidence from a systematic review to plan a randomized controlled trial...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy: report of CALGB 39802--a prospective, multi-institution feasibility studyScott J Swanson
Surgery Committee of the Cancer and Leukemia Group B CALGB, Statistics Office of CALGB, and Respiratory Committee of CALGB, Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:4993-7. 2007..To evaluate the technical feasibility and safety of video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) lobectomy for small lung cancers...
- Benefits of surgery for patients with pulmonary metastases from colorectal carcinomaMasayoshi Inoue
Department of Surgery, Toneyama National Hospital, Toneyama 5 1 1, Toyonaka 560 8552, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 78:238-44. 2004..The aim of this study is to define the patients who benefit from pulmonary metastasectomy for colorectal carcinoma...
- Radiofrequency ablation of primary lung cancer: results from an ablate and resect pilot studyChristophe L Nguyen
Department of Surgical Oncology, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111 2497, USA
Chest 128:3507-11. 2005....
- Synchronous presentation of primary non-small cell lung carcinoma and pheochromocytomaEdward P Chen
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery and General Surgery, Emory University Affiliated Hospitals, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 74:924-6. 2002..This case illustrates the importance of establishing a firm diagnosis for all synchronously present adrenal lesions that are discovered in the setting of primary lung carcinoma...
- Predictors and treatment of persistent air leaksRobert J Cerfolio
Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 73:1727-30; discussion 1730-1. 2002..Air leaks prolong hospital stay...
- Early results of a prospective study of limited resection for bronchioloalveolar adenocarcinoma of the lungY Yamato
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 71:971-4. 2001..The purpose of this study is to confirm the effectiveness of limited resection for histologically confirmed BAC without active fibroblastic proliferation...
- Surgical treatment of pulmonary artery sarcomaE Mayer
Department for Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Pathology, and Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 121:77-82. 2001..Surgical resection improves clinical symptoms and offers the only chance of cure. We report the case histories of 7 patients with primary pulmonary artery sarcomas treated by surgical resection with or without adjuvant therapy...
- Bronchoscopic volume reduction with valve implants in patients with severe emphysemaTudor P Toma
Department of Thoracic Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, London, UK
Lancet 361:931-3. 2003..Lung-volume reduction can be achieved with unilateral bronchoscopically placed valve implants in patients with severe emphysema with acceptable short-term safety and worthwhile functional benefits...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery sleeve lobectomy: a case seriesAli Mahtabifard
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:S729-32. 2008..This article reports a large experience of VATS sleeve lobectomy...
- Coronary artery bypass grafting with valvular heart surgery after pneumonectomyV Ravi Shanker
ANZ J Surg 75:88-90. 2005
- The role of the Wnt/planar cell polarity pathway in pulmonary angiogenesisVinicio A de Jesus Perez; Fiscal Year: 2013..will help provide insight into the biological relevance of this pathway to compensatory angiogenesis following pneumonectomy (Aim 3)...
- Adult Tissue Morphogenesis: Functional Regulation of Intussusceptive AngiogenesisSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have found these intravascular pillars in the skin (dermatitis), colon (colitis) and lung (post-pneumonectomy). Growth or extension of the intraluminal pillars down the axis of the vessel leads to vessel duplication...
- Signals for Post-pneumonectomy Compensatory Lung GrowthConnie C W Hsia; Fiscal Year: 2013Project Summary / Abstract In adult dogs after pneumonectomy (PNX), mechanical forces on the remaining lung are thought to stimulate compensatory lung growth. Following moderate (42% of total) resection, lobar growth is non-uniform...
- Mechanotransduction and lung alveolar differentiationJUAN R SANCHEZ-ESTEBAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..that EGFR is important for differentiation of type II cells and stretch-mediated compensatory growth after pneumonectomy, the mechanisms by which EGFR is activated are not known...
- Nanoparticle Drug Delivery in Post-Pneumonectomy Compensatory Lung GrowthKytai Truong Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pneumonectomy (PNX) in adult canines mimics the consequences of restrictive lung disease and is a robust model of compensatory lung growth (CLG), characterized by early alveolar cellular proliferation-..
- Identification of vascular-derived signals for alveolar lung repairShahin Rafii; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have established the phenotypic definition of PCECs and have shown that after left lung pneumonectomy (PNX), activation of the VEGF-A receptor-2 (VEGFR2) and FGFR1 expressed on the PCECs leads to upregulation of ..
- An inhaled PDGF receptor inhibitor for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hyperLawrence S Zisman; Fiscal Year: 2013..without causing adverse effects on lung function or systemic blood pressure in the rat monocrotaline plus pneumonectomy model...
- Transcriptional Control of Respiratory Epithelial Progenitor CellsJeffrey A Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2010..Clinically relevant mouse models will be utilized to assess this potential, with particular focus to post-pneumonectomy lung regeneration and repair after respiratory epithelial cell specific cell ablation and Sftpc-/- mice, the ..
- The Fetal Lung Mesothelial Differentiation ProgramALAN FINE FINE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Interestingly, preliminary data indicate that WT1 is reactivated during lung re-growth post-pneumonectomy whereas WT1 is not re-activated in inflammatory lung injuries, such as asthma and fibrosis...
- MEDIASTINAL EFFECTS ON PULMONARY FUNCTIONLYNNE OLSON; Fiscal Year: 1991..b>Pneumonectomy with and without volume compensation in the remaining lung will provide known alterations in mediastinal ..
- MEDIASTINAL EFFECTS ON PULMONARY FUNCTIONLYNNE OLSON; Fiscal Year: 1992..b>Pneumonectomy with and without volume compensation in the remaining lung will provide known alterations in mediastinal ..
- Novel Model of Adult Lung Epithelial Stem Cell ExpansionCINDY JEAN BACHURSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ability of NFIen reprogrammed progenitor cells to participate in pneumonectomy induced compensatory lung growth will be measured by morphometric analysis...
- Nitric Oxide Regulation of Compensatory Lung GrowthVICTOR LAUBACH; Fiscal Year: 2005b>Pneumonectomy (removal of a whole lung) is a life-saving procedure in patients who cannot otherwise be cured; but it carries considerable morbidity and mortality...
- COPD Clinical Research Network & Clinical Research Skills Core DevelopmentGerard Criner; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Obstructive E*Todd Demmy; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will be instrumental in the development of a novel PDT drug without long-term restrictions of patients' sun exposure. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BDavid Sugarbaker; Fiscal Year: 2002..Three stages of group development are described: (1) surgeon recruitment phase; (2) patient recruitment phase (educational activities about adjuvant therapy trials. etc.); and (3) protocol development phase (intellectual activities). ..
- Prognosis and Effectiveness of Advanced Lung Cancer Treatment in the ElderlyJuan P Wisnivesky; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will provide information regarding the efficacy of several therapies and may help resolve several controversies regarding the staging and treatment of elderly patients with advanced stage lung cancer. ..
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Lung Cancer Treatment in the ElderlyJuan Wisnivesky; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings from this project will provide information that can directly impact the care of elderly patients with NSCLC and inform the design of future trials of lung cancer treatment strategies. ..
- A Genetic Screening Policy Model for Colorectal CancerScott Ramsey; Fiscal Year: 2006..The model will incorporate QOL information from Aim 2, along with family history, clinical, and screening information from the Seattle CFR. ..
- COST EFFECTIVENESS OF GENETIC SCREENING FOR COLON CANCERScott Ramsey; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- SCLERODERMA LUNG STUDYRobert Wise; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Microangiectasia Regulation of Lymphocyte MigrationSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- The Placebo Effect in AsthmaRobert Wise; Fiscal Year: 2005..Understanding the placebo response can lead to improvements in research and treatment of asthma. ..
- Clinical Trial of Acid Reflux Therapy in AsthmaRobert Wise; Fiscal Year: 2007..Pre-specified subgroup analyses will be conducted to determine if there are clinical or demographic characteristics that predict benefit from treatment of GERD in asthma. ..
- Mechanisms of Scar-Free Healing in the Fetal ArteryDARRELL CASS; Fiscal Year: 2008..His long term objective is to apply this knowledge clinically in both children and adults to limit vascular inflammation, neointimal hyperplasia and scarring. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BMartin Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2002..The grant will also allow for continuation of meritorious pilot protocols and will allow GCC to monitor and collect data which will produce mutual benefit to the GCC and CALGB. ..
- Strategies to Prevent COPD ExacerbationFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms Of Compensatory Lung GrowthConnie C W Hsia; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Health and QOL among Long-Term Lung Cancer SurvivorsPing Yang; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ADENOVIRAL INFECTION IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF EMPHYSEMAJames Hogg; Fiscal Year: 2003..The information gathered from these studies will provide new insights into the pathogenesis of emphysema and help explain why some smokers develop emphysema and others do not. ..
- Pneumografting - a novel cell-based therapy for emphysemaEdward P Ingenito; Fiscal Year: 2010..We intend to advance this approach, known as pneumografting, into human trials under a physician-sponsored Investigation New Drug Application. ..
- Alpha-1 AD Carriers and Lung Cancer RiskPing Yang; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- PECAM-1'S INVOLVEMENT IN ANGIOGENESISHorace Delisser; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- PATHOLOGIC ASSESSMENT OF LUNG VOLUME REDUCTION SURGERYJames Hogg; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of this study will provide definite criteria useful in selecting the patients that will receive the greatest benefit from lung volume reduction surgery. ..
- PHASE I TRIALS OF ANTICANCER AGENTSMartin Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CANCER AND LEUKEMIA GROUP BStephen Graziano; Fiscal Year: 2002..Through our established outreach efforts, new advances in cancer therapy will be rapidly disseminated to large groups of patients in Central New York. ..
- PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES: QUALITY OF CARE/SERVICE USELisa Iezzoni; Fiscal Year: 2001..Given that roughly 49 million Americans have a disabling condition, addressing concerns about their quality of care is essential. ..
- ASSESSING THE PERFORMANCE OF ALTERNATIVE RISK ADJUSTERSLisa Iezzoni; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Neuropsychological Testing for Lupus and DepressionElizabeth Kozora; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Gene Ratios for Lung Cancer Detection and PrognosisRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2004..We envision that our methodology will be adaptable to a future clinical scenario where each suspicious nodule would be evaluated by fine needle aspiration determining the diagnosis and best therapeutic options for the patients. ..
- Development of an acute lung injury specific severity of illness measureCOLIN COOKE; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Clinical Trials of FTI RadiosensitizationStephen Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2005..Specific molecular markers that are associated with activation of the Ras signaling pathway will be measured in NSCLC tumor biopsy specimens and will be related to the clinical efficacy of R115777 and radiotherapy. ..
- COGNITIVE EFFECTS OF LUNG VOLUME REDUCTION SURGERYElizabeth Kozora; Fiscal Year: 2004..Forty normal controls will be tested at baseline and 6-10 weeks follow- up. ..
- Diet and Risk of Ovarian CancerEllen Chang; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of the proposed analyses will provide further understanding of the etiology of ovarian cancer. ..
- Responses to Surgical and Bronchoscopic Volume ReductionEdward Ingenito; Fiscal Year: 2006..We believe that by accomplishing these objectives, we can help advance this technology into the clinical arena. ..
- Retinoic Acid and Post-pneumonectomy Lung GrowthCONNIE HSIA; Fiscal Year: 2006Post-pneumonectomy (PNX) compensatory lung growth in adult dogs is biphasic: In the Ist phase, cell proliferation and/or hypertrophy increases septal tissue volume and thickness without increasing surface areas or improving gas exchange...
- Cancer Care and Outcomes for Disabled Medicare PatientsLisa Iezzoni; Fiscal Year: 2006..These findings may suggest areas where more attention is needed, such as increasing cancer screening among disabled Medicare recipients or rethinking initial treatment strategies. ..
- NF KAPPA B MEDIATED CHEMORESISTANCE IN HUMAN LUNG CANCERDavid Jones; Fiscal Year: 2005..The ultimate goal of this study is to provide the necessary background for the initiation of novel treatment strategies designed to treat patients with advanced lung cancer. ..
- How Access Affects Outcomes of Rehabilitation ServicesLisa Iezzoni; Fiscal Year: 2005..The primary outcome of the proposed study will be an assessment of the association of PT and OT, as routinely practiced nationwide and important outcomes of care. ..
- In-Depth Examination of Disparities in Cancer OutcomesCathy Bradley; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- MRI and MRS Correlates of Cognitive Function in SLEElizabeth Kozora; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will better prepare clinicians with clear diagnostic avenues and better treatment options in the future. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ABC Transporters in CNS Penetration of CamptothecinsChristopher Waters; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Early-Stage Breast Cancer Treatment Decisions by Women with Physical DisabilitiesLisa Iezzoni; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our findings will help begin educating patients and physicians and could perhaps improve breast cancer care for women with physical disabilities. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Gene Ratio Based Prognosis in MesotheliomaRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will determine the accuracy of this test in predicting outcome as defined by survival and tumor progression. ..
- Molecular Targets for Drug and Radiation SensitivityStephen Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- How Health Insurance Status Affects Persons with DisabilitiesLisa Iezzoni; Fiscal Year: 2007..This goal addresses the objectives of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, which has identified persons with disabilities as one of its priority populations. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Aspirin use, genetic variation in aspirin related-genes, and Hodgkin lymphoma risEllen Chang; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LABOR MARKET OUTCOMES OF LONG TERM CANCER SURVIVORSCathy Bradley; Fiscal Year: 2004....