Genomes and Genes
Summary: The excision of lung tissue including partial or total lung lobectomy.
Publications309 found, 100 shown here
- Surgical resection of pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer: a systematic review of published seriesJoachim Pfannschmidt
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 84:324-38. 2007....
- Long-term outcome of initially unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated with 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan (FOLFOXIRI) followed by radical surgery of metastasesGianluca Masi
Unità Operativa Oncologia Medica, Azienda USL 6, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Livorno, Italy
Ann Surg 249:420-5. 2009..The objective of this study was to evaluate the long-term outcome of resected patients and the impact of FOLFOXIRI on perioperative morbidities, mortality, and chemotherapy induced hepatotoxicity...
- Safety of thoracoscopic lobectomy in locally advanced lung cancerMark Hennon
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 18:3732-6. 2011..Thoracoscopic lobectomy is well established for the treatment of early non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Its safety and efficacy for advanced-stage disease remain uncertain...
- Multimodality strategies in malignant pleural mesotheliomaWalter Weder
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 21:172-6. 2009..Radical tumor resection by means of extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) is now feasible with acceptable morbidity and mortality, even after neoadjuvant chemotherapy, if ..
- Sclerosing haemangioma with lymph node metastasisNai Chuan Chien
Departments of Chest Surgery, Buddhist Dalin Tzu Chi General Hospital, Chiayi, Taiwan
Respirology 14:614-6. 2009..Investigation of more cases and long-term follow up are necessary to assess the clinical significance of lymph node metastasis...
- Extra-pleural pneumonectomy versus no extra-pleural pneumonectomy for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma: clinical outcomes of the Mesothelioma and Radical Surgery (MARS) randomised feasibility studyTom Treasure
Department of Mathematics, Clinical Operational Research Unit, University College London, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 12:763-72. 2011The effects of extra-pleural pneumonectomy (EPP) on survival and quality of life in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma have, to our knowledge, not been assessed in a randomised trial...
- A rare tumor of the lung: inflammatory myofibroblastic tumorNawal Hammas
Department of Pathology, Hassan II University Hospital, Fez, 30000, Morocco
Diagn Pathol 7:83. 2012..Chest X-ray and computed tomography revealed the presence of a left lower lobe lung mass. After pneumonectomy, histological examination combined with immunohistochemical study discovered an inflammatory myofibroblastic ..
- Lung volume reduction by bronchoscopic administration of steamMichael J Emery
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and Seattle Institute for Biomedical and Clinical Research, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:1282-91. 2010..However, LVR by these methods is limited by temporary or incomplete collapse and/or residual atelectatic and scarred tissue volumes. Heat-induced ablation of lung tissue is currently under investigation as an alternative LVR methodology...
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy is a safe and versatile procedure: experience with 500 consecutive patientsMark W Onaitis
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Ann Surg 244:420-5. 2006..The outcomes after thoracoscopic lobectomy in patients with more complex pulmonary conditions are analyzed to determine safety, efficacy, and versatility...
- Prospective randomized study evaluating a biodegradable polymeric sealant for sealing intraoperative air leaks that occur during pulmonary resectionMark S Allen
Division of General Thoracic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 77:1792-801. 2004..To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of a new biodegradable polymeric sealant to close intraoperative air leaks after pulmonary resection...
- Adjuvant paclitaxel plus carboplatin compared with observation in stage IB non-small-cell lung cancer: CALGB 9633 with the Cancer and Leukemia Group B, Radiation Therapy Oncology Group, and North Central Cancer Treatment Group Study GroupsGary M Strauss
Tufts Medical Center, Division of Medical Oncology, Tufts NEMC, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:5043-51. 2008..This report provides a mature analysis of Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) 9633, the only RCT designed specifically for stage IB NSCLC...
- Developing a VATS lobectomy programme--can VATS lobectomy be taught?Jonathan Ferguson
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:806-9. 2006..This may, in part, reflect difficulty in acquiring appropriate skills. We have evaluated the effect of experience and training on surgical outcomes during the development and establishment of a VATS lobectomy programme...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy: experience with 1,100 casesRobert J McKenna
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 81:421-5; discussion 425-6. 2006..This series is reviewed to assess these issues...
- Pulmonary segmentectomy by thoracotomy or thoracoscopy: reduced hospital length of stay with a minimally-invasive approachB Zane Atkins
Department of Surgery, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1107-12; discussion 1112-3. 2007..This study compares thoracoscopic segmentectomy (TS) with open segmentectomy (OS)...
- Morbidity, survival, and site of recurrence after mediastinal lymph-node dissection versus systematic sampling after complete resection for non-small cell lung cancerDidier Lardinois
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 80:268-74; discussion 274-5. 2005....
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy: state of the art and future directionsJason P Shaw
Division of Thoracic Surgery, The Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York 10029, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:S705-9. 2008..Several published reports suggest thoracoscopic resection is safe, with the potential advantage of shorter hospital stay, quicker recovery, and comparable oncologic results...
- Efficacy and safety of topical application of human fibrinogen/thrombin-coated collagen patch (TachoComb) for treatment of air leakage after standard lobectomyGyorgy Lang
Thoracic Surgery Clinic, Korányi National Institute for Pulmonology, Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 25:160-6. 2004..Persisting air leakage after pulmonary resection remains a significant problem. The aim of the study was to evaluate the incidence of air leakage after standard lobectomy and test the efficacy and safety of TachoComb (TC)...
- Left thoracotomy for aortic and mitral valve surgery in a case of mediastinal displacement due to pneumonectomyTheodoro Barreda
Departement de Chirurgie Cardiovasculaire, Institut de Cardiologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Heart Valve Dis 17:239-42. 2008..Four years earlier, he had undergone a left pneumonectomy for a bronchial carcinoma...
- Systematic node dissection by VATS is not inferior to that through an open thoracotomy: a comparative clinicopathologic retrospective studyAtsushi Watanabe
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Surgery 138:510-7. 2005..The aim of this study was to elucidate the feasibility and safety of SND by VATS...
- Mortality, complications and loss of pulmonary function after pneumonectomy vs. sleeve lobectomy in patients younger and older than 70 yearsEmanuel Melloul
Division of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 7:986-9. 2008Retrospective single institution analysis of all patients undergoing sleeve lobectomy or pneumonectomy between 2000 and 2005...
- An analysis, systematic review, and meta-analysis of the perioperative mortality after neoadjuvant therapy and pneumonectomy for non-small cell lung cancerAnthony W Kim
Section of Thoracic Surgery, School of Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, Conn 06520, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 143:55-63. 2012b>Pneumonectomy after neoadjuvant therapy remains controversial.
- Prospective European multicenter randomized trial of PleuraSeal for control of air leaks after elective pulmonary resectionPaul De Leyn
University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 141:881-7. 2011..We sought to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a synthetic bioresorbable pleural sealant (PleuraSeal; Covidien, Bedford, Mass) to treat air leaks after pulmonary resection...
- Evolution to video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy after training: initial results of the first 30 patientsThomas Ng
Department of Surgery, Brown Medical School, 2 Dudley Street, Providence, RI 02905, USA
J Am Coll Surg 203:551-7. 2006..Few thoracic training programs offer sufficient experience in this technically demanding procedure. This article describes the evolution of a new graduate's practice from open thoracotomy to VATS lobectomy...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized and nonrandomized trials on safety and efficacy of video-assisted thoracic surgery lobectomy for early-stage non-small-cell lung cancerTristan D Yan
University of Sydney, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Clin Oncol 27:2553-62. 2009..We performed the present meta-analysis of the randomized and nonrandomized comparative studies in an attempt to assess the safety and efficacy of VATS lobectomy...
- Is thoracoscopic pneumonectomy safe?Rohit K Sahai
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Roswell Park Cancer Institute and University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1086-92. 2009While thoracoscopic surgical lobectomy is an established operation, the safety of thoracoscopic pneumonectomy (TP) is uncertain.
- [Right main bronchus tumoral obstruction during left pneumonectomy]P Markowicz
Service d Anesthésie, Groupe Hospitalier Sud Reunion, 97400 Saint Pierre, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 25:648-51. 2006We report a case of severe airway obstruction during a pneumonectomy, due to a tumor embolus in the contralateral main bronchus. Trachea was intubated with a single-lumen tube with a bronchial blocker...
- The two-incision approach for video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy: an initial experienceJose Maria Borro
Hospital Universitario de La Coruña, La Coruna, Spain
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 39:120-6. 2011..We have analysed retrospectively, the characteristics and postoperative evolution of patients undergoing VATS lobectomies using two ports...
- Pneumonectomy: quality of life and long-term resultsC Menna
Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of L Aquila, Teramo, Italy
Minerva Chir 67:219-26. 2012b>Pneumonectomy is the standard surgery for resectable locally advanced lung cancer...
- Conditional cancer-specific versus cardiovascular-specific survival after lobectomy for stage I non-small cell lung cancerShawn S Groth
Division of General Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 90:375-82. 2010..There may be a point during follow-up when patients who undergo lobectomy for stage I non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) are as likely to die of cardiovascular disease as of cancer...
- Pulmonary artery sarcoma with angiosarcoma phenotype mimicking pleomorphic malignant fibrous histiocytoma: a case reportOlga L Bohn
Department of Pathology, Christus Mugerza UPAEP University Hospital, Puebla, 72000, Mexico
Diagn Pathol 7:154. 2012..Intravascular angiosarcomas are aggressive neoplasms, often associated with poor outcome...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery for clinical stage I lung cancer in octogenariansMingyon Mun
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Toranomon Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 85:406-11. 2008..The purpose of this retrospective study was to investigate the value of video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) for clinical stage I lung cancer in octogenarians...
- Pneumonectomy vs. sleeve resection for non-small cell lung carcinoma in the elderly: analysis of short-term and long-term resultsS Bolukbas
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Dr Horst Schmidt Klinik, Wiesbaden, Germany
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 59:142-7. 2011..Aim of the study was to assess the short- and long-term results of sleeve resections and pneumonectomies for centrally located non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in a cohort of elderly patients...
- Effect of selective lymph node dissection based on patterns of lobe-specific lymph node metastases on patient outcome in patients with resectable non-small cell lung cancer: a large-scale retrospective cohort study applying a propensity scoreFutoshi Ishiguro
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Aichi Cancer Center Hospital, Nagoya 461 8681, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 139:1001-6. 2010..However, selective mediastinal lymph node dissection based on lobe-specific metastases (selective dissection) has often been performed. This study was designed to evaluate the validity of the selective lymph node dissection...
- Management of alveolar air leaks after pulmonary resectionSunil Singhal
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 89:1327-35. 2010..We used available literature and expert consensus to formulate suggestions regarding the preferred approaches to both routine and prolonged alveolar air leaks. This review summarizes our findings...
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy is associated with lower morbidity compared with thoracotomyNestor R Villamizar
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:419-25. 2009..The incidence of postoperative complications has not been thoroughly assessed. This study analyzes morbidity after lobectomy to compare the thoracoscopic approach and thoracotomy...
- Limited resection for noninvasive bronchioloalveolar carcinoma diagnosed by intraoperative pathologic examinationTerumoto Koike
Department of Thoracic Surgery and Pathology, Japanese Red Cross Nagaoka Hospital, Niigata, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 88:1106-11. 2009..The establishment of limited resection procedures for non-small cell lung cancer is expected. Many groups have suggested noninvasive bronchioloalveolar carcinoma (BAC) to be a potential indication for limited resection...
- A prospective randomized trial comparing completion technique of fissures for lobectomy: stapler versus precision dissection and sealantAndrea Droghetti
Thoracic Surgery Division, Carlo Poma Hospital, Mantova, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:383-91. 2008..This randomized and controlled trial evaluates 2 different surgical techniques for the completion of interlobar fissures during pulmonary lobectomy to establish which is superior in preventing air leakage...
- Bronchial mucoepidermoid carcinoma in childrenM Wu
Department of Thoracic Surgery, 2nd Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 59:443-5. 2011..5 and 6 years. Despite its extremely rare occurrence in childhood, the possibility of bronchial mucoepidermoid carcinoma should be kept in mind when encountering a child presenting with symptoms of recurrent pneumonia...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) lobectomy: 13 years' experienceMiguel Congregado
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena, Avda Dr Fedriani 1, 41071, Seville, Spain
Surg Endosc 22:1852-7. 2008..The aim of this paper is to show our technique for VATS lobectomy and our experience and outcomes obtained...
- Outcome and surgical strategy in bronchial carcinoid tumors: single institution experience with 252 patientsFederico Rea
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardio Thoracic and Vascular Sciences, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:186-91. 2007..To evaluate type of surgery, long-term survival and factors influencing outcome in pulmonary carcinoid tumors...
- Complete resection of pulmonary inflammatory pseudotumors has excellent long-term prognosisDominique Fabre
Department of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery and Heart Lung Transplantation, Hopital Marie Lannelongue, Le Plessis Robinson, Paris Sud University, France
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:435-40. 2009..We present a single large institutional experience in patients with pulmonary inflammatory pseudotumor and propose guidelines for treatment of this patient population...
- Intentional limited pulmonary resection for peripheral T1 N0 M0 small-sized lung cancerTeruaki Koike
Division of Chest Surgery, Niigata Cancer Center Hospital, Niigata, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 125:924-8. 2003..The present study was undertaken to demonstrate that limited pulmonary resection for peripheral small-sized lung cancer yields outcomes not inferior to those of lobectomy...
- Functional advantage after radical segmentectomy versus lobectomy for lung cancerHiroaki Harada
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hyogo Medical Center for Adults, Akashi, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 80:2041-5. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the degree of postoperative functional loss in patients undergoing segmentectomy or lobectomy for lung cancer...
- Quantification of the impact of segmentectomy on pulmonary function by perfusion single-photon-emission computed tomography and multidetector computed tomographyKentaro Yoshimoto
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:1200-5. 2009..The impact of segmentectomy for preservation of pulmonary function was quantified by using a co-registered perfusion single-photon-emission computed tomography and multidetector computed tomography (SPECT/CT)...
- Prediction of pulmonary function after lung lobectomy by subsegments counting, computed tomography, single photon emission computed tomography and computed tomography: a comparative studyKentaro Yoshimoto
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 8556, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 35:408-13. 2009..The aim of the present study was to determine the optimal method of predicting postoperative pulmonary function (PPF) after lung lobectomy...
- Sublobar resections in stage IA non-small cell lung cancer: segmentectomies result in significantly better cancer-related survival than wedge resectionsWulf Sienel
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg, Hugstetter Str 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 33:728-34. 2008..However, a prognostic impact of this observation has never been shown and is still under debate. Therefore, this study has been performed to analyse the cancer-related survival of sublobar resections in stage IA patients...
- Postpneumonectomy lung expansion elicits hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha signalingQuiyang Zhang
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9034, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L497-504. 2007..This pathway could play an important role in mediating lung growth and remodeling during maturation and post-PNX compensation...
- Comparative gene expression profiling of post-natal and post-pneumonectomy lung growthJ C Wolff
Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research, Bad Nauheim, Germany
Eur Respir J 35:655-66. 2010..We compared lung gene expression in the phase of induction of post-natal and post-pneumonectomy alveolarisation to identify regulatory genes involved in both processes...
- Induction chemotherapy, extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) and adjuvant hemi-thoracic radiation in malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM): Feasibility and resultsFederico Rea
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of Padua, Policlinico di Padova, Italy
Lung Cancer 57:89-95. 2007..Trimodality therapy results have led us to test induction chemotherapy followed by EPP and adjuvant radiotherapy in stages I-III of MPM. The aim of our study was to evaluate the feasibility of this protocol and to estimate survival...
- Extrapleural pneumonectomy followed by intracavitary intraoperative hyperthermic cisplatin with pharmacologic cytoprotection for treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma: a phase II prospective studyTamara R Tilleman
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 138:405-11. 2009We sought to prospectively determine the feasibility and safety of hyperthermic intraoperative intracavitary cisplatin perfusion immediately after extrapleural pneumonectomy in the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Radical sublobar resection for small-sized non-small cell lung cancer: a multicenter studyMorihito Okada
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hyogo Medical Center for Adults, Akashi City, Hyogo, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:769-75. 2006..We sought to compare sublobar resection (segmentectomy or wedge resection) with lobar resection to test which one is the appropriate procedure for such lesions...
- Coronary artery bypass grafting with valvular heart surgery after pneumonectomyV Ravi Shanker
ANZ J Surg 75:88-90. 2005
- Multiple sclerosing hemangiomas with a 10-year historyTomoyuki Hishida
Division of Thoracic Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Chiba 277 8577, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 35:37-9. 2005..We followed this patient by annual chest CT scans for 10 years and demonstrated that all residual nodules remained unchanged. This is the first report of stable multiple pulmonary sclerosing hemangiomas observed for such a long period...
- Effect of bronchoscopic lung volume reduction on dynamic hyperinflation and exercise in emphysemaNicholas S Hopkinson
Respiratory Muscle Laboratory, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Brompton Hospital, Fulham Road, London SW3 6NP, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:453-60. 2005..47; p = 0.03). Endobronchial valve placement can improve lung volumes and gas transfer in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and prolong exercise time by reducing dynamic hyperinflation...
- Early results of a prospective study of limited resection for bronchioloalveolar adenocarcinoma of the lungY Yamato
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Niigata University School of Medicine, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 71:971-4. 2001..The purpose of this study is to confirm the effectiveness of limited resection for histologically confirmed BAC without active fibroblastic proliferation...
- Bronchoscopic volume reduction with valve implants in patients with severe emphysemaTudor P Toma
Department of Thoracic Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, London, UK
Lancet 361:931-3. 2003..Lung-volume reduction can be achieved with unilateral bronchoscopically placed valve implants in patients with severe emphysema with acceptable short-term safety and worthwhile functional benefits...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery sleeve lobectomy: a case seriesAli Mahtabifard
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:S729-32. 2008..This article reports a large experience of VATS sleeve lobectomy...
- Thoracoscopic lobectomy facilitates the delivery of chemotherapy after resection for lung cancerRebecca P Petersen
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1245-9; discussion 1250. 2007..We conducted a study of patients who underwent anatomic resection with adjuvant chemotherapy to determine if thoracoscopic lobectomy enables more effective administration of adjuvant chemotherapy than lobectomy by thoracotomy...
- Surgical treatment of pulmonary artery sarcomaE Mayer
Department for Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Pathology, and Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 121:77-82. 2001..Surgical resection improves clinical symptoms and offers the only chance of cure. We report the case histories of 7 patients with primary pulmonary artery sarcomas treated by surgical resection with or without adjuvant therapy...
- Predictors and treatment of persistent air leaksRobert J Cerfolio
Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 73:1727-30; discussion 1730-1. 2002..Air leaks prolong hospital stay...
- Surgery for early-stage non-small cell lung cancer: a systematic review of the video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery versus thoracotomy approaches to lobectomyBryan A Whitson
Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 86:2008-16; discussion 2016-8. 2008..Compared with lobectomy performed by thoracotomy, VATS lobectomy for patients with early-stage NSCLC is appears to favor lower morbidity and improved survival rates...
- Synchronous presentation of primary non-small cell lung carcinoma and pheochromocytomaEdward P Chen
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery and General Surgery, Emory University Affiliated Hospitals, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 74:924-6. 2002..This case illustrates the importance of establishing a firm diagnosis for all synchronously present adrenal lesions that are discovered in the setting of primary lung carcinoma...
- The effect of lung volume reduction surgery on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbationsGeorge R Washko
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:164-9. 2008..The effect of LVRS on COPD exacerbations has not been as extensively studied, and whether improvement in postoperative lung function alters the risk of disease exacerbations is not known...
- Prospective study of extended segmentectomy for small lung tumors: the final reportKoichi Yoshikawa
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Sumitomo Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 73:1055-8; discussion 1058-9. 2002..Minimal resection of small lung tumors is still controversial. This study was conducted to clarify whether this type of operation is acceptable...
- Prognostic factors for recurrence after pulmonary resection of colorectal cancer metastasesMark W Onaitis
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 87:1684-8. 2009..This study was undertaken to review a large series of resections of colorectal pulmonary metastases in the era of modern chemotherapy...
- Completion pneumonectomy: current indications, complications, and resultsT Fujimoto
Department of Thoracic Surgery and Endoscopy, Ruhrlandklinik, Essen Heidhausen, Germany
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 121:484-90. 2001Completion pneumonectomy is reported to be associated with high morbidity and mortality, especially when done in patients with benign disease...
- Coronary artery bypass graft and/or valvular operations following prior pneumonectomy: report of four new patients and review of the literatureJames K Stoller
Department of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Chest 132:295-301. 2007The reported experience is sparse for patients with prior pneumonectomy who are undergoing surgery for ischemic or valvular heart disease. Such surgery poses special technical challenges...
- Prognostic impact of lymph node involvement in pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancerStefan Welter
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Ruhrlandklinik Essen, Tuschener Weg 40, 45239 Essen, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:167-72. 2007..Regional lymph node classification for lung cancer. Chest 1997;111(6):1718-23.]...
- Long-term outcome and late recurrence in patients with completely resected stage IA non-small cell lung cancerRyo Maeda
Department of Thoracic Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, and daggerDepartment of Pathology, Research Center for Innovative Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
J Thorac Oncol 5:1246-50. 2010..The purpose of this study was to quantify the risk of late recurrence in patients with stage IA non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who remained recurrence-free for more than 5 years after resection...
- [Small sclerosing hemangioma combined with primary lung cancer; report of a case]K Suzuki
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Yamagata Prefectural Central Hospital, Yamagata, Japan
Kyobu Geka 59:590-3. 2006..In contrast, the nodule in S6 had not enlarged and it was thought to be benign. In May 2005, right lower lobectomy was performed. The S9 nodule was diagnosed as adenocarcinoma, and the S6 nodule as sclerosing hemangioma...
- Sentinel node navigation segmentectomy for clinical stage IA non-small cell lung cancerHiroaki Nomori
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Honjo, Kumamoto, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133:780-5. 2007..Intraoperative frozen section examination of sentinel lymph nodes was conducted to determine the final indication for segmentectomy for clinical T1 N0 M0 non-small cell lung cancer...
- Neoalveolarisation contributes to compensatory lung growth following pneumonectomy in miceH Fehrenbach
Clinic of Internal Medicine, Clinical Research Group, Philips University, Marburg, Germany
Eur Respir J 31:515-22. 2008..Unilateral pneumonectomy is an established model to remove defined portions of gas exchange area and study mechanisms of compensatory ..
- Multicenter phase II trial of neoadjuvant pemetrexed plus cisplatin followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy and radiation for malignant pleural mesotheliomaLee M Krug
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:3007-13. 2009Neoadjuvant pemetrexed plus cisplatin was administered, followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) and hemithoracic radiation (RT), to assess the feasibility and efficacy of trimodality therapy in stage I to III malignant pleural ..
- A randomized trial comparing lung-volume-reduction surgery with medical therapy for severe emphysemaAlfred Fishman
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2059-73. 2003..Lung-volume-reduction surgery has been proposed as a palliative treatment for severe emphysema. Effects on mortality, the magnitude and durability of benefits, and criteria for the selection of patients have not been established...
- The National Emphysema Treatment Trial (NETT) Part II: Lessons learned about lung volume reduction surgeryGerard J Criner
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:881-93. 2011..In this review, we summarize what we currently know about the role of LVRS in the treatment of severe emphysema as a result of insights gained from the NETT and provide a brief review of the newer techniques of lung volume reduction...
- Four-arm robotic lobectomy for the treatment of early-stage lung cancerGiulia Veronesi
Division of Thoracic Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 140:19-25. 2010..We investigated the feasibility and safety of four-arm robotic lung lobectomy in patients with lung cancer and described the robotic lobectomy technique with mediastinal lymph node dissection...
- Metachronous single lung transplantation after contralateral pneumonectomy. A ''big'' challenge?M Vergnat
Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery B, Louis Pradel Hospital, Claude Bernard University, INSERM U886, Bron, France
Minerva Chir 62:187-90. 2007Single lung transplantation for cystic fibrosis is an uncommon therapy. Contralateral pneumonectomy is, in these cases, rarely done before transplantation...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy for surgically resected non-small cell lung cancerStephanie Heon
Lowe Center for Thoracic Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 450 Brookline Avenue, Dana Building 1234, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 144:S39-42. 2012..Current trials are also underway to define the role of novel targeted therapies, such as inhibitors of the epidermal growth factor receptor and monoclonal antibodies, in adjuvant treatment strategies...
- Coronary artery bypass grafting after pneumonectomyBai Qin Zhao
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The Second Affiliated Hospital, College of Medicine, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310009, People s Republic of China
Tex Heart Inst J 35:470-1. 2008When open-heart operations are necessary in patients who have undergone pneumonectomy, the unavoidable shift of mediastinal structures should be carefully considered...
- ECMO-assisted carinal resection and reconstruction after left pneumonectomyJie Lei
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Tang Du Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi 710038, China
J Cardiothorac Surg 5:89. 2010..we present a case about an adult patient who underwent a carinal resection and reconstruction after left pneumonectomy with ECMO assistance successfully...
- Adjustments in cardiorespiratory function after pneumonectomy: results of the pneumonectomy projectJean Deslauriers
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de Quebec, Quebec, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 141:7-15. 2011To assess lung function, gas exchange, exercise capacity, and right-sided heart hemodynamics, including pulmonary artery pressure, in patients long term after pneumonectomy.
- Dynamic determination of oxygenation and lung compliance in murine pneumonectomyBarry C Gibney
Laboratory of Adaptive and Regenerative Biology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Exp Lung Res 37:301-9. 2011..oximetry monitoring and the FlexiVent murine ventilator, the authors investigated the effect of anesthesia and pneumonectomy on mouse oxygen saturation and lung mechanics...
- Pulmonary inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor invading the left atriumMarius Berman
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Petah Tivka, Israel
Ann Thorac Surg 76:601-3. 2003..Although benign, the tumor may be very aggressive locally. We describe a 9-year-old boy with primary inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor of the left upper lobe involving the left atrium...
- Induction chemotherapy, extrapleural pneumonectomy, and radiotherapy in the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma: the Memorial Sloan-Kettering experienceRaja M Flores
Thoracic Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, Room C 879, New York, NY 10021, USA
Lung Cancer 49:S71-4. 2005..and the median survival of stage III MPM is <12 months even after complete resection by extrapleural pneumonectomy. From 1939-2004, a series of sequential clinical trials has been performed at our institution...
- A systematic review of extrapleural pneumonectomy for malignant pleural mesotheliomaChristopher Q Cao
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, University of Sydney, Australia
J Thorac Oncol 5:1692-703. 2010The primary objective of the present systematic review was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) for patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Evarts A. Graham and the first pneumonectomy for lung cancerLeora Horn
Division of Hematology and Oncology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Nashville, TN 37232 6307, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:3268-75. 2008
- Global gene expression patterns in the post-pneumonectomy lung of adult miceJulia A Paxson
Department of Clinical Sciences, Lung Function Testing Laboratory, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, Tufts University, North Grafton, MA, USA
Respir Res 10:92. 2009..We examined the transcriptomic responses to single lung pneumonectomy in adult mice in order to elucidate prospective molecular signaling mechanisms used in this species during ..
- Myoepithelial carcinoma of the lungDaiki Masuya
Department of Second Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, 1750 1 Kita gun, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 28:775-7. 2005..Here we report a resected case of myoepithelial carcinoma of the lung, including details of clinical examination, with a review of previously documented cases...
- Esophagopleural fistula secondary to esophageal wall ballooning and thinning after pneumonectomy: findings on chest CT and esophagographyPeter S Liu
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 186:1627-9. 2006
- A phase I study of extrapleural pneumonectomy and intracavitary intraoperative hyperthermic cisplatin with amifostine cytoprotection for malignant pleural mesotheliomaLambros Zellos
Division of Thoracic Surgery and Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Mass, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:453-8. 2009This study was undertaken to determine maximum tolerated dose and toxicity of intraoperative intracavitary hyperthermic cisplatin perfusion with amifostine after extrapleural pneumonectomy for malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Inhibition of compensatory lung growth in endothelial nitric oxide synthase-deficient miceShari M Leuwerke
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 1359, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 282:L1272-8. 2002b>Pneumonectomy results in rapid compensatory growth of the remaining lung and also leads to increased flow and shear stress, which are known to stimulate endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS)...
- Incidence and management of complications after neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy for malignant pleural mesotheliomaIsabelle Opitz
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:579-84. 2006To investigate the incidence and management of postoperative complications after neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy for malignant pleural mesothelioma.
- Sclerosing hemangioma of the lung: a benign tumour with potential for malignancy?Wolfgang Jungraithmayr
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 12:352-4. 2006..Generally, wedge resection is justified in the majority of cases, but in cases of uncertain intraoperative diagnosis, anatomic resection with systematic lymphadenectomy is recommended...
- Thoracic empyema after pneumonectomy: intrathoracic application of vacuum-assisted closure therapyChristian Renner
Department of Surgery, Kliniken Kreis Muehldorf am Inn, Muehldorf, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 89:603-4. 2010..A.C. Therapy, KCI Medical, Wiesbaden, Germany) to treat an intrathoracic empyema that occurred after resection of the right lung. Successful closure of the thoracic cavity was achieved with an omental plombage...
- Epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma of the lung: a case report and review of the literatureAmy Rosenfeld
Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, Phoenix Children s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 31:206-8. 2009..There are no case reports in the pediatric population of isolated lung lesions. In this case report, we describe a 7-year-old patient with isolated lung epithelial-myoepithelial carcinoma and the management of such a lesion...
- Trimodality therapy for malignant pleural mesothelioma: results from an EORTC phase II multicentre trialP E Van Schil
Antwerp University Hospital, Antwer Belgium
Eur Respir J 36:1362-9. 2010..the feasibility of trimodality therapy consisting of induction chemotherapy followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy and post-operative radiotherapy in patients with malignant pleural mesothelioma (with a severity of cT3N1M0 or ..
- The insidious onset of dyspnea and right lung collapse in a 35-year-old manSyed F Hussain
Section of Pulmonary Medicine, The Aga Khan University Hospital, Stadium Rd, PO Box 3500, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Chest 127:1844-7. 2005
- Asymptomatic esophago-pleural fistula presenting 35 years after pneumonectomy for tuberculosisGregor Pache
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University Hospital Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Thorac Imaging 20:223-5. 2005..esophago-pleural fistula, diagnosed accidentally in a 64-year-old woman more than 30 years after right lobe pneumonectomy due to tuberculosis...
- Multimodality therapy for patients with invasive thymoma disseminated into the pleural cavity: the potential role of extrapleural pneumonectomyYoshinori Ishikawa
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Tochigi Cancer Center, Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 88:952-7. 2009..We analyzed our experience with a multimodality approach and evaluated the role of extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) in the treatment of disseminated thymoma.
- A feasibility study of induction pemetrexed plus cisplatin followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy and postoperative hemithoracic radiation for malignant pleural mesotheliomaTakeharu Yamanaka
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1 1 Mukogawa, Nishinomiya, Hyogo, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 39:186-8. 2009..evaluate the feasibility of induction chemotherapy using pemetrexed plus cisplatin, followed by extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) and postoperative hemithoracic radiation in patients with resectable malignant pleural mesothelioma...
- The Mesothelioma and Radical surgery randomized controlled trial: the Mars feasibility studyTom Treasure
Guy s and St Thomas Hospital, London, UK
J Thorac Oncol 4:1254-8. 2009The effectiveness of extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) to extend quality-adjusted survival in malignant pleural mesothelioma within multimodality treatment should be proven in a randomized controlled trial if this radical surgery is to be ..
- PULMONARY LIMITATIONS TO EXERCISE AFTER PNEUMONECTOMYRobert Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1990..By pneumonectomy in dogs, we can increase in a reproducible way the stiffness and reduce the diffusing capacity of the lungs ..
- Mechanical Ventilation of Newborn Mice:Impact on Alveolarization and Lung ElastinRichard Bland; Fiscal Year: 2009..2 will determine if neonatal mice with elastin haploinsufficiency (Eln), which show abnormal lung growth after pneumonectomy or smoke inhalation, are more susceptible than non-mutant newborns to defective alveolar formation and lung ..
- HEMATOCRIT & BLOOD VOLUME--EFFECTS OF MAXIMAL 02 INTAKERobert Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1999..is an important source of enhancement and (3) if enhancement is greater at simulated high altitude or after pneumonectomy to simulate lung disease...
- Signals for Post-pneumonectomy Compensatory Lung GrowthConnie C W Hsia; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In adult dogs after pneumonectomy (PNX), mechanical forces on the remaining lung are thought to stimulate compensatory lung growth...
- LIMITATION TO EXERCISE AFTER PNEUMONECTOMYRobert Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1999b>Pneumonectomy (PNX) provides a powerful experimental tool for studying mechanisms of compensatory response to quantifiable losses of alveolar capillary surface area, increased power requirements of ventilation, asymmetrical distortions ..
- Mechanical Ventilation of Newborn Mice:Impact on Alveolarization and Lung ElastinRICHARD DAVID BLAND; Fiscal Year: 2010..2 will determine if neonatal mice with elastin haploinsufficiency (Eln), which show abnormal lung growth after pneumonectomy or smoke inhalation, are more susceptible than non-mutant newborns to defective alveolar formation and lung ..
- Mechanical Ventilation of Newborn Mice:Impact on Alveolarization and Lung ElastinRichard Bland; Fiscal Year: 2009..2 will determine if neonatal mice with elastin haploinsufficiency (Eln), which show abnormal lung growth after pneumonectomy or smoke inhalation, are more susceptible than non-mutant newborns to defective alveolar formation and lung ..
- Mechanotransduction and lung alveolar differentiationJUAN R SANCHEZ ESTEBAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..that EGFR is important for differentiation of type II cells and stretch-mediated compensatory growth after pneumonectomy, the mechanisms by which EGFR is activated are not known...
- STRUCTURAL BASIS OF POSTPNEUMONECTOMY LUNG GROWTHCONNIE HSIA; Fiscal Year: 2000Major lung resection by pneumonectomy (PNX) has been utilized to study the sources and limits of adaptation in the lung...
- Laminin Alpha5 and AlveogenesisNGUYET NGUYEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..of laminin a5 on alveolization during lung development and in alveolization in the adult lung using the post-pneumonectomy model...
- LIMITATION TO EXERCISE AFTER PNEUMONECTOMYRobert Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2004A major signal inducing regenerative lung growth in adult dogs after pneumonectomy (PNX) is thought to be alveolar stretch due to expansion of the remaining lung...
- LIMITATIONS TO EXERCISE AFTER PNEUMONECTOMYRobert Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1993..a five year renewal of a three year project to examine the extent and mechanisms of exercise limitations after pneumonectomy in dogs...
- LUNG TUMOR PROMOTION BY BHTALVIN MALKINSON; Fiscal Year: 2007..Also we will modulate the proliferative and inflammatory status in lungs using partial pneumonectomy as a proliferative stimulus along with application of pro-inflammatory drugs or by the use of transgenic mice ..
- EFFECT OF PNEUMONECTOMY AND EXERCISE ON LUNG GROWTHCONNIE HSIA; Fiscal Year: 1993Our objective is to define the adaptive potential of the maturing lung after extensive lung resection (i.e. pneumonectomy) using an integrated structure-function approach...
- LIMITATION TO EXERCISE AFTER PNEUMONECTOMYRobert Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2007After pneumonectomy (PNX) in adult dogs, increased mechanical strain of the remaining lung provides the major signal for compensatory alveolar growth and tissue remodeling...
- Retinoic Acid and Post-pneumonectomy Lung GrowthCONNIE HSIA; Fiscal Year: 2006Post-pneumonectomy (PNX) compensatory lung growth in adult dogs is biphasic: In the Ist phase, cell proliferation and/or hypertrophy increases septal tissue volume and thickness without increasing surface areas or improving gas exchange...
- RETINOIC ACID EFFECT ON POSTPNEUMONECTOMY LUNG GROWTHCONNIE HSIA; Fiscal Year: 2002..and morphometric methods that new alveolar and acinar airway growth occurs in the remaining lung after pneumonectomy (PNX) in adult dogs...
- Nitric Oxide Regulation of Compensatory Lung GrowthVICTOR LAUBACH; Fiscal Year: 2005b>Pneumonectomy (removal of a whole lung) is a life-saving procedure in patients who cannot otherwise be cured; but it carries considerable morbidity and mortality...
- Transcriptional Control of Respiratory Epithelial Progenitor CellsJeffrey A Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2010..Clinically relevant mouse models will be utilized to assess this potential, with particular focus to post-pneumonectomy lung regeneration and repair after respiratory epithelial cell specific cell ablation and Sftpc-/- mice, the ..
- Transcriptional Control of Respiratory Epithelial Progenitor CellsJeffrey Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2009..Clinically relevant mouse models will be utilized to assess this potential, with particular focus to post-pneumonectomy lung regeneration and repair after respiratory epithelial cell specific cell ablation and Sftpc'1' ..
- Transcriptional Control of Respiratory Epithelial Progenitor CellsJeffrey Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2007..Clinically relevant mouse models will be utilized to assess this potential, with particular focus to post-pneumonectomy lung regeneration and repair after respiratory epithelial cell specific cell ablation and Sftpc-/- mice, the ..