Summary: Endoscopic examination, therapy or surgery of the anterior superior mediastinum of the thorax.
Publications189 found, 100 shown here
- Cervical mediastinoscopy in The Netherlands: past or present? A retrospective analysis of 218 proceduresP W Plaisier
Department of General Surgery, Medisch Spectrum Twente, Enschede
Neth J Med 61:253-6. 2003Cervical mediastinoscopy (CM) has been considered the gold standard for the evaluation of mediastinal lymph nodes in the staging of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) for many years...
- Surgical assessment and intraoperative management of mediastinal lymph nodes in non-small cell lung cancerBryan A Whitson
University of Minnesota Department of Surgery, Section of Thoracic and Foregut Surgery, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1059-65. 2007..Pathologic evaluation of at least 10 mediastinal lymph node from at least three stations should be performed at the time of surgery...
- Endoscopic ultrasound added to mediastinoscopy for preoperative staging of patients with lung cancerJouke T Annema
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
JAMA 294:931-6. 2005..b>Mediastinoscopy and the novel, minimally invasive technique of transesophageal ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration (EUS-..
- Video-assisted mediastinoscopy: a useful technique for paratracheal mesothelial cystsDaniel Pop
Thoracic Surgery Department, Pasteur Hospital, Nice, France
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 129:690-1. 2005
- Mediastinal staging procedures in lung cancer: EBUS, TBNA and mediastinoscopyAndrew R L Medford
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Allergy and Thoracic Surgery, Institute for Lung Health, Glenfield Hospital, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester LE3 9QP, Leicestershire, UK
Curr Opin Pulm Med 15:334-42. 2009..Traditionally, cervical mediastinoscopy has been utilized...
- Management of major hemorrhage during mediastinoscopyBernard J Park
Thoracic Service, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, Room C 867, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:726-31. 2003The management of major hemorrhage complicating mediastinoscopy is not well described. We reviewed our experience to determine the frequency, optimal management strategy, and outcome of these injuries.
- Prospective comparative study of integrated positron emission tomography-computed tomography scan compared with remediastinoscopy in the assessment of residual mediastinal lymph node disease after induction chemotherapy for mediastinoscopy-proven stage IIPaul De Leyn
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospitals Leuven, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
J Clin Oncol 24:3333-9. 2006....
- Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery: cardiopulmonary safety of transesophageal mediastinoscopyS von Delius
Medizinische Klinik II, Technische Universitat Munchen, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Munich, Germany
Endoscopy 42:405-12. 2010Physiological reactions during natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) mediastinoscopy may lead to cardiorespiratory depression...
- Mediastinoscopy might not be necessary in patients with non-small cell lung cancer with mediastinal lymph nodes having a maximum standardized uptake value of less than 5.3Benjamin Enoch Lee
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of California at Davis, Sacramento, Calif 95817, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:615-9. 2008..predictor of individual lymph node metastasis in non-small cell lung cancer and that pathologic staging with mediastinoscopy might not be necessary in patients with a maximum standardized uptake value of less than 5...
- Mediastinoscopy: still the gold standardJoseph B Shrager
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 89:S2084-9. 2010Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS-TBNA) is emerging as an alternative to mediastinoscopy for mediastinal lymph node evaluation in non-small cell lung cancer. It remains controversial whether EBUS-TBNA is as accurate as mediastinoscopy...
- Mediastinoscopy vs endosonography for mediastinal nodal staging of lung cancer: a randomized trialJouke T Annema
Department of Pulmonology, C3 P, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, 2333 ZA Leiden, The Netherlands
JAMA 304:2245-52. 2010..Current guidelines acknowledge minimally invasive endosonography followed by surgical staging (if no nodal metastases are found by endosonography) as an alternative to immediate surgical staging...
- Successful management of severe pulmonary artery injury during mediastinoscopyTakeshi Nagayasu
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, 1 7 1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852 8501, Japan
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 59:73-6. 2011Although many reports have shown that mediastinoscopy is an extremely safe procedure, the most serious complication that can occur is hemorrhage from the large vessels in the mediastinum...
- Endovascular treatment of a brachiocephalic artery pseudoaneurysm secondary to biopsy at mediastinoscopyIrfan Ahmed
Department of Interventional Radiology, Guy s and St Thomas Hospitals, NHS Foundation Trust, London, SE1 7EH, UK
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 32:792-5. 2009..We report the case of a 53-year-old lymphoma patient who had had a biopsy at mediastinoscopy in the past and was found incidentally on routine staging computed tomography to have developed a large ..
- The significance of tumour markers as an indication for mediastinoscopy in non-small cell lung cancerSoichiro Ando
Division of Thoracic Diseases, Chiba Cancer Center and Department of Chest Medicine, Chiba University School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
Respirology 8:163-7. 2003The purpose of this study was to verify the significance of tumour markers as indicators for mediastinoscopy in non-small cell lung cancer.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration in patients with non-small cell lung cancer and prior negative mediastinoscopyMohamad A Eloubeidi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0007, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1231-9. 2005b>Mediastinoscopy and endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy (EUS-FNA) are complementary for staging non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients...
- Nine-year single center experience with cervical mediastinoscopy: complications and false negative rateAnthony Lemaire
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1185-9; discussion 1189-90. 2006BACKGROUND: Mediastinoscopy is a valuable tool for evaluating mediastinal pathology and is essential for establishing treatment strategies in most patients with lung cancer...
- Can FDG-PET reduce the need for mediastinoscopy in potentially resectable nonsmall cell lung cancer?Kemp H Kernstine
Department of Biostatistics, College of Public Health, University of Iowa, and Iowa City Veterans Administration Medical Center, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 73:394-401; discussion 401-2. 2002..We question whether once PET is performed, is mediastinoscopy necessary?
- Mediastinal lymph node staging in suspected lung cancer: comparison of positron emission tomography with F-18-fluorodeoxyglucose and mediastinoscopyThomas P Graeter
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Saarland University Medical School, Homburg Saar, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 75:231-5; discussion 235-6. 2003..In this retrospective analysis we compared the results of positron emission tomography (PET) using F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose with those of mediastinoscopy in nodal staging for suspected bronchogenic carcinoma.
- Mediastinal transthoracic needle and core lymph node biopsy: should it replace mediastinoscopy?Joseph B Zwischenberger
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Chest 121:1165-70. 2002Primary assessment of mediastinal lymph nodes (N2 or N3) for staging lung cancer by transthoracic needle with or without core biopsy. Mediastinoscopy only performed after FNA failed to yield a diagnosis.
- [Mediastinoscopy]R Sarrazin
Service de Chirurgie Generale, CHRU, Grenoble
Rev Mal Respir 9:99-110. 1992b>Mediastinoscopy was initiated by E. Carlens in 1959 and enabled the exploration of the mediastinal tissues, above all the lymphatics with both a diagnostic and a prognostic aim...
- Cost-effectiveness of routine mediastinoscopy in computed tomography- and positron emission tomography-screened patients with stage I lung cancerBryan F Meyers
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:822-9; discussion 822-9. 2006..tomography may identify mediastinal lymph node metastasis with sufficient sensitivity to allow omission of mediastinoscopy. This study utilizes our experience with patients with clinical stage I lung cancer to perform a decision ..
- Diagnostic yield of mediastinal explorationWaseem Hajjar
Thoracic Surgery Division, Department of Surgery, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Med Princ Pract 11:210-3. 2002..Of the 72 patients, 39 were female and 33 male, with an average age of 54 years. Mediastinoscopy and anterior mediastinotomy were performed in 54 and 15 patients, respectively (13 left and 2 right)...
- Diagnosis of mediastinal adenopathy-real-time endobronchial ultrasound guided needle aspiration versus mediastinoscopyArmin Ernst
Interventional Pulmonology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Thorac Oncol 3:577-82. 2008..Nevertheless, direct comparisons with mediastinoscopy are not available to determine the role of endobronchial ultrasound in pathologic staging.
- Positron emission tomography with 2-[18f]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose: can it be used to accurately stage the mediastinum in non-small cell lung cancer as an alternative to mediastinoscopy?Kemp H Kernstine
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:1700-3. 2003
- Should mediastinoscopy actually be incorporated into the FDG PET strategy for patients with non-small cell lung carcinoma?Katsumi Hayashi
Department of Radiology, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Japan
Ann Nucl Med 19:393-8. 2005Incorporating mediastinoscopy (MS) into the PET-based strategy for non-small cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC) patients might be cost-effective because MS can allow unnecessary thoracotomies to be avoided...
- Surgical exploration of the mediastinum by mediastinoscopy, parasternal mediastinotomy and remediastinoscopy: indications, technique and complicationsR Rami Porta
Section of Thoracic Surgery, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Ital Chir 70:867-72. 1999..Surgical exploration of the mediastinum by mediastinoscopy allows to obtain very accurate information from inspection, palpation and biopsies of lymph nodes or tumors ..
- Positron emission tomography with selected mediastinoscopy compared to routine mediastinoscopy offers cost and clinical outcome benefits for pre-operative staging of non-small cell lung cancerKelvin K Yap
Centre for PET, University of Melbourne, Austin Hospital Heidelberg, Victoria, 3084, Australia
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 32:1033-40. 2005..component, that routine FDG-PET imaging as a prelude to curative surgery will reduce requirements for routine mediastinoscopy and overall hospital costs...
- Thoracoscopic esophagectomy combined with mediastinoscopy via the neckYoshifumi Ikeda
Department of Surgery, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 73:1329-31. 2002..Therefore, a thoracoscopic esophagectomy combined with this technique allows mediastinal lymph nodes along the left recurrent laryngeal nerve to be easily and safely dissected...
- The complete ''medical'' mediastinoscopy (EUS-FNA + EBUS-TBNA)P Vilmann
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Gentofte University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Minerva Med 98:331-8. 2007..diagnoses include computed tomography (CT)-guided percutaneous biopsy, transbronchial fine-needle aspiration, mediastinoscopy/mediastinotomy or thoracoscopy, but these investigations have limitations in terms of tissue yield, safety ..
- A comparative analysis of positron emission tomography and mediastinoscopy in staging non-small cell lung cancerGonzalo V Gonzalez-Stawinski
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 126:1900-5. 2003..This study compares the efficacy of PET to mediastinoscopy in mediastinal staging of patients with non-small cell lung cancer...
- Endoscopic ultrasound guided biopsy versus mediastinoscopy for analysis of paratracheal and subcarinal lymph nodes in lung cancer stagingSoeren S Larsen
Department of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Gentofte University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Lung Cancer 48:85-92. 2005..b>Mediastinoscopy (MS) and endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy (EUS-FNA) are considered complementary, ..
- [Mediastinoscopy in the diagnosis of mediastinal disease. An analysis of 181 explorations]P Rodriguez
Servicio de Cirugía Torácica, Hospital de Gran Canaria Doctor Negrin, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 39:29-34. 2003To validate our experience with standard cervical mediastinoscopy (SCM) and extended cervical mediastinoscopy (ECM) to diagnose mediastinal nodes and masses, we studied 181 patients between January 1992 and February 2001...
- Result of induction chemotherapy followed by surgery in patients with stage IIIA N2 NSCLC: importance of pre-treatment mediastinoscopyP De Leyn
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Catholic University, Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 15:608-14. 1999..The aim of this study was to look at the correlation between downstaging, survival and pre-treatment staging...
- Simultaneous double video mediastinoscopy and video mediastinotomy--a step forwardShishir Karthik
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Leeds General Infirmary, Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:920-2. 2005..a novel method of using the video-mediastinoscope for concurrent cervical mediastinotomy and anterior mediastinoscopy. We have performed five concurrent procedures using this system in the last 14 months...
- The role of 11C-choline positron emission tomography-computed tomography and videomediastinoscopy in the evaluation of diseases of middle mediastinumQi Liu
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Shandong Provincial Hospital, Jinan 250021, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 119:634-9. 2006..PET-CT is valuable for differential diagnosis of benign vs malignant lesions, CT alone or PET alone (SUV) may provide misdiagnosis in a substantial proportion of patients with mediastinal masses...
- Routine mediastinoscopy and esophageal ultrasound fine-needle aspiration in patients with non-small cell lung cancer who are clinically N2 negative: a prospective studyRobert James Cerfolio
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1900 University Blvd, THT 712, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Chest 130:1791-5. 2006..N2) lymph nodes shown on positron emission tomography (PET) and CT, some physicians routinely perform mediastinoscopy and/or endoscopic ultrasound fine-needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (..
- Video-mediastinoscopy in management of patients with lung cancer: a preliminary studyN Venissac
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique, Hopital Pasteur, CHU de Nice, France
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 10:71-5. 2000Cervical mediastinoscopy is widely employed for biopsy of mediastinal lymph nodes and staging of lung cancer. The application of video-assisted technology to mediastinoscopy in a series of patients with lung cancer has not been reported...
- Survival following complete resection of multifocal T4 node-negative NSCLC: a retrospective studyA Terzi
Thoracic Surgery Unit, Verona City Hospital, Verona, Italy
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 55:44-7. 2007..This study was designed to assess the impact of multifocal NSCLC in the same lobe on survival in completely resected node-negative patients to determine whether the T4 (stage III B) designation is valid...
- [Clinical value of cervical mediastinoscopy in non-small cell lung cancer of stage I]Shi-Yi Zhang
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Cancer Center, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, 510060, P.R.China
Ai Zheng 24:349-52. 2005BACKGROUND & OBJECTIVE: Whether to apply routine mediastinoscopy to non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) of stage I remains controversial...
- European trends in preoperative and intraoperative nodal staging: ESTS guidelinesP De Leyn
Department of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
J Thorac Oncol 2:357-61. 2007..For primary staging, mediastinoscopy remains the gold standard for the superior mediastinal LNs...
- Transcervical extended mediastinal lymphadenectomy--the new operative technique and early results in lung cancer stagingJarosław Kuzdzał
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Pulmonary Hospital Zakopane, Ul Gładkie 1, 34 500 Zakopane, Poland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:384-90; discussion 390. 2005..The aim of the study is to present a new technique of transcervical extended mediastinal lymphadenctomy (TEMLA) and to analyze its value in lung cancer staging...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration staging of lung cancer: is it time to go beyond cytology?Manoop S Bhutani
Chest 127:418-20. 2005
- Video-assisted mediastinoscopic lymphadenectomy (VAMLA)Biruta Witte
Lungenzentrum, Sektion Thoraxchirurgie, Katholisches Klinikum Koblenz, Koblenz, Germany
J Thorac Oncol 2:367-9. 2007..Concurrent with technical progress in mediastinoscopy, neoadjuvant treatment of stage III lung cancer was introduced, and accuracy of pretreatment mediastinal ..
- Transcervical extended mediastinal lymphadenectomy: results of staging in two hundred fifty-six patients with non-small cell lung cancerMarcin Zielinski
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Pulmonary Hospital, Zakopane, Poland
J Thorac Oncol 2:370-2. 2007..Generally, TEMLA is an open procedure performed partly with mediastinoscopy-assisted and videothoracoscopy-assisted techniques...
- State of the art lecture: mediastinal EUSP Vilmann
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Gentofte University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Endoscopy 38:S84-7. 2006
- Mediastinal staging (take home messages)Bernward Passlick
Dept of Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Freiburg, Hugstetter Strasse 55, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Lung Cancer 45:S85-7. 2004Mediastinal lymph-node involvement is still the major prognostic factor in NSCLC. Currently, cervical mediastinoscopy is the gold standard of mediastinal lymph-node staging...
- Imprint cytology for detecting metastasis of lung cancer in mediastinal lymph nodesKenichi Okubo
General Thoracic SurgeryGifu National Hospital, Gifu, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1190-3. 2004..Lymph node metastasis of lung cancer has been evaluated with histologic examination. We studied the usefulness of cytologic diagnosis for detecting metastasis of lung cancer in mediastinal nodes...
- [Combined video-assisted mediastinoscopy and video-assisted thoracoscopy in the staging of lung cancer]Noriyoshi Sawabata
Department of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Dokkyo Medical University School of Medicine, Tochigi, Japan
Kyobu Geka 60:699-705. 2007The application of combined video-mediastinoscopy and video-thoracoscopy in the staging of lung cancer has remained infrequent, despite preliminary demonstration of its technical feasibility...
- Invasive mediastinal staging of lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (2nd edition)Frank C Detterbeck
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Yale University, 330 Cedar St, FMB 128, New Haven, CT 06520 8062, USA
Chest 132:202S-220S. 2007..Although imaging studies can provide some guidance, in many situations invasive staging is necessary. Many different complementary techniques are available...
- [Analysis of the treatment (neoadjuvant chemotherapy and surgery) in IIb and IIIa stages of non-small cell lung cancer]Beata Ptaszek
, , Warszawie
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 74:171-8. 2006..1) comparison of NSCLC stages according to bronchoscopic and radiological findings with pathological outcome (mediastinoscopy), 2) efficacy of the neoadjuvant ChT by means of nodal involvement and primary tumour (downstaging), 3) ..
- Women with pathologic stage I, II, and III non-small cell lung cancer have better survival than menRobert James Cerfolio
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1900 University Blvd, THT 712, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Chest 130:1796-802. 2006..National registry-based studies have shown gender disparity in clinicopathologic characteristics and in survival. This study evaluates the risk factors and trends of lung cancer between genders...
- Is lobe-specific lymph node dissection appropriate in lung cancer patients undergoing routine mediastinoscopy?A Turna
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Yedikule Teaching Hospital for Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 55:112-9. 2007..We aimed to analyze the lobe-specific extent of lymph node positivity in patients who underwent preoperative mediastinoscopy as a routine strategy.
- IIIB-T4 non-small cell lung cancer: indications and results of surgical treatmentM Lucchi
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Cardiac and Thoracic Department, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 48:369-74. 2007..We have reviewed our experience with T4 NSCLC patients who underwent surgery with the aim of debating the indications and results of surgical treatment in this highly selected group of patients...
- ESTS guidelines for preoperative lymph node staging for non-small cell lung cancerPaul De Leyn
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 32:1-8. 2007..This resulted in guidelines for primary staging and restaging. For primary staging, mediastinoscopy remains the gold standard for the superior mediastinal lymph nodes...
- Selection of patients for surgery after induction chemotherapy for N2 non-small-cell lung cancerPeter Goldstraw
J Clin Oncol 24:3317-8. 2006
- [Transbronchial needle aspiration as a diagnostic method in lung cancer and non-malignant mediastinal adenopathy]Artur Szlubowski
Oddział Pulmonologii i Pracownia Bronchoskopii Samodzielnego Publicznego Specjalistycznego Szpitala Chorób Płuc w Zakopanem Ordynator Oddziału
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 75:5-12. 2007..The aim of the study was to assess the diagnostic yield of transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA) in mediastinal or hilar adenopathy in: lung cancer, staging of NSCLC, sarcoidosis and other non-malignant diseases...
- The importance of accurate lymph node staging in early and locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer: an update on available techniquesEdward S Kim
MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4095, USA
J Thorac Oncol 2:S59-67. 2007..minimally invasive techniques that may enhance the accuracy of mediastinal staging, traditionally devoted to mediastinoscopy. As their availability widens, they are likely to become an important part of staging and treatment paradigms...
- Easier node dissection after chemoradiotherapy for lung cancer with collagen insertion at mediastinoscopyKenichi Okubo
General Thoracic Surgery, National Hospital Organization Nagara Medical Center, Gifu, Japan
Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 54:268-72. 2006..of the mediastinum and the time for node dissection were compared with those without collagen insertion at mediastinoscopy after chemoradiotherapy (n=5)...
- [Clinical value of videomediastinoscopy in diagnosis of mediastinal disease]Zhong-Min Peng
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Shandong Provincal Hospital, Jinan 250021, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 86:1414-6. 2006..Mean operative time was 26 min. There was neither complication nor mortality. CONCLUSION: videomediastinoscopy is a safe and effective procedure for the diagnosis of mediastinal disease and the staging of lung cancer...
- Proposals for changes in the Mountain and Dresler mediastinal and pulmonary lymph node mapM Zielinski
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Pulmonary Hospital, Zakopane, Poland
J Thorac Oncol 2:3-6. 2007..In our opinion, some modifications of this map are necessary. Based on our experience with extended mediastinoscopy and the new procedure, transcervical extended mediastinal lympadenectomy, the main changes we propose are: 1) ..
- Sensitivity of remediastinoscopy: influence of adhesions, multilevel N2 involvement, or surgical technique?Paul Van Schil
J Clin Oncol 24:5338; author reply 5339-40. 2006
- The transcervical extended mediastinal lymphadenectomy versus cervical mediastinoscopy in non-small cell lung cancer stagingJarosław Kuzdzał
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Pulmonary Hospital Zakopane, Poland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:88-94. 2007To compare the diagnostic yield of the transcervical extended mediastinal lymphadenectomy (TEMLA) and the cervical mediastinoscopy (CM) in detecting metastatic mediastinal lymph nodes in NSCLC patients.
- Technical innovations of carinal resection for nonsmall-cell lung cancerPaolo Macchiarini
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1989-97; discussion 1997. 2006..We present our perioperative management of operable nonsmall-cell lung cancer invading the tracheobronchial bifurcation and the results obtained...
- Mediastinal staging 2005: pictures, scopes, and scalpelsHarvey I Pass
Thoracic Oncology Section, Multidisciplinary Lung Team, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Detroit, MI, USA
Semin Oncol 32:269-78. 2005....
- Detection of disseminated tumor cells in mediastinoscopic lymph node biopsies and lymphadenectomy specimens of patients with NSCLC by quantitative RT-PCRXiao Tao Wang
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg, Hugstetter Str. 55, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 28:26-32. 2005..Further studies are required to asses if this molecular method might improve mediastinoscopic staging...
- [The biopsying of at least 5 mediastinal lymph node stations for presurgical staging in patients with a non-small-cell lung carcinoma]A F Verhagen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:908; author reply 908-9. 2004
- Survival of patients with unsuspected N2 (stage IIIA) nonsmall-cell lung cancerRobert J Cerfolio
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 86:362-6; discussion 366-7. 2008..The objective of this study was to determine the survival of patients who have completely resected, nonsmall-cell, stage IIIA, lung cancer from unsuspected (nonimaged) N2 disease who received adjuvant chemotherapy...
- [Role of mediastinoscopy and repeat mediastinoscopy today]M Hinterthaner
Klinik for Allgemeinchirurgie, Klinikum Kassel, Kassel, Germany
Chirurg 79:38, 40-4. 2008..Cervical mediastinoscopy is generally accepted as a safe and highly accurate procedure in the staging of lung cancer...
- [Endoscopic thoracic surgery: indications, feasibility, and limitations]H Dienemann
Chirurgische Abteilung, Thoraxklinik Heidelberg
Chirurg 74:324-32. 2003b>Mediastinoscopy and mediastinotomy are used primarily in the staging of lung cancer; they are also of value in biopsying mediastinal masses and lymph nodes to establish diagnoses such as sarcoidosis,lymphoma, and mediastinal tumors...
- Postinduction video-mediastinoscopy is as accurate and safe as video-mediastinoscopy in patients without pretreatment for potentially operable non-small cell lung cancerDidier Lardinois
Division of Thoracic Surgery and Institute of Medical Oncology, Inselspital Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 75:1102-6. 2003Prospective assessment of accuracy and safety of video-mediastinoscopy (VMS) in patients without pretreatment and those after induction therapy for potentially operable non-small cell lung cancer.
- Lung cancer. Invasive staging: the guidelinesFrank C Detterbeck
Multidisciplinary Thoracic Oncology Program, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of North Carolina, CB 7065, 108 Burnett Womack Building, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7065, USA
Chest 123:167S-175S. 2003A variety of invasive staging tests are available, including mediastinoscopy, thoracoscopy (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery), transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA), transthoracic needle aspiration (TTNA), and endoscopic ultrasound ..
- Invasive staging of non-small cell lung cancer: a review of the current evidenceEric M Toloza
Department of Surgery, Duke Thoracic Oncology, Duke University Medical Center Box 3048, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Chest 123:157S-166S. 2003..performance characteristics of transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA), transthoracic needle aspiration (TTNA), endoscopic ultrasound-guided needle aspiration (EUS-NA), and mediastinoscopy in staging non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
- Invasive mediastinal staging for non-small-cell lung cancerLinda W Martin
Gastrointest Endosc 67:199-201. 2008
- Invasive staging of non-small cell lung cancer--a prospective studyS Eggeling
Department of Surgery, Oskar Ziethen Hospital, Fanninger Strasse 32, D 10365 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:679-84. 2002..To assess the lymph node status of the upper mediastinum, the diagnostic value of mediastinoscopy is accepted to be superior to radiological methods...
- Routine mediastinoscopy and lymph node staging: 'much ado about nothing'?Antonie Dujon
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:485; author reply 486. 2002
- The value of mediastinoscopy in preoperative evaluation of mediastinal involvement in non-small-cell lung cancer patients with clinical NO diseaseA Gurses
Yedikule Hospital for Chest Disease and Thoracic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 50:174-7. 2002The efficacy of mediastinal lymph node examination using cervical mediastinoscopy in operable non-small cell lung cancer patients without radiological nodal involvement on computerized tomography (CT) has been elusive.
- Cost-minimization analysis of alternative diagnostic approaches in a modeled patient with non-small cell lung cancer and subcarinal lymphadenopathyGavin C Harewood
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:155-64. 2002..endoscopic ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspiration (EUS FNA) biopsy ($11,490 per patient) compared with mediastinoscopy (with biopsy) ($13,658), transbronchial FNA biopsy ($11,963), CT-guided FNA biopsy ($13,027), and positron ..
- Non-small cell lung cancer staging techniques and endoscopic ultrasound: tissue is still the issueJulia Kim LeBlanc
Department of Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Chest 123:1718-25. 2003..Histologic confirmation via EUS-guided fine-needle aspiration, however, may still be necessary to accurately stage the mediastinum...
- [Adhesion or organization during surgery due to mediastinoscopy before induction therapy for non-small cell lung cancer]N Sawabata
Division of Surgery, National Toneyama Hospital, Toyonaka, Japan
Kyobu Geka 56:441-4. 2003We conducted a retrospective study to investigate amounts of adhesion or organization during surgery due to mediastinoscopy before induction therapy for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- From clinical and pathologic to molecular staging of lung cancerPierre P Massion
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:1587-8. 2003
- [Introduction to the topic: current diagnosis and surgery of the mediastinum]J Schirren
, Kerckhoff-Klinik, Benekestrasse 2-8, 61231, Bad Nauheim, Germany
Chirurg 79:6-8. 2008
- Association between lower lobe location and upstaging for early-stage non-small cell lung cancerAna T Rocha
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Chest 125:1424-30. 2004..3% (9 of 109 patients), despite negative mediastinoscopy findings. Complete anatomic resection was performed in all patients. Advanced disease was found in 8...
- Cotton-type collagen insertion at mediastinoscopy for easier node dissection after induction chemoradiotherapy for lung cancerKenichi Okubo
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Gifu National Hospital, Japan
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127:1532-3. 2004
- Accuracy and cost-effectiveness of [18F]-2-fluoro-deoxy-D-glucose-positron emission tomography scan in potentially resectable non-small cell lung cancerRosemary F Kelly
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
Chest 125:1413-23. 2004....
- Lung cancer stagingAlan D L Sihoe
Department of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong, China
J Surg Res 117:92-106. 2004..This review presents an appraisal of current lung cancer staging modalities, and presents an overview of recent developments in molecular staging...
- Restaging of mediastinal nodes with transbronchial needle aspiration after induction chemoradiation for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancerPeter W A Kunst
Department of Pulmonology, Haga Hospital, Den Haag, The Netherlands
J Thorac Oncol 2:912-5. 2007..However, nodal restaging can be technically difficult. We investigated the role of transbronchial needle aspiration (TBNA) in mediastinal restaging of patients who had completed induction cytotoxic therapy...
- [The biopsying of at least 5 mediastinal lymph node stations for presurgical staging in patients with a non-small-cell lung carcinoma]M E van Albada
Academisch Ziekenhuis Groningen, Postbus 30.001, 9700 RB Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 148:281-6. 2004OBJECTIVE: To determine the additional value of mediastinoscopy/tomy in the pre-surgical staging of non-small-cell lung carcinoma. DESIGN: Retrospective...
- Detection of telomerase expression in mediastinal lymph nodes of patients with lung cancerMichael B Wallace
Division of Gastroenterology, Digestive Diseases Center, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:1670-5. 2003..Approximately one-third of pathologically negative mediastinal lymph nodes in NSCLC patients express hTERT mRNA. The clinical significance of this observation is yet to be determined...
- Pattern and predictors of occult mediastinal lymph node involvement in non-small cell lung cancer patients with negative mediastinal uptake on positron emission tomographyNael Al-Sarraf
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 33:104-9. 2008....
- The restaging issueP Van Schil
Department of Thoracic and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital of Antwerp, Wilrijkstraat 10, B 2650 Edegem, Antwerp, Belgium
Lung Cancer 42:S39-45. 2003..The ultimate overall pathologic response can only be determined by thoracotomy with excision of the primary tumour, hilar and mediastinal lymph nodes...
- [Treatment outcome of locally advanced stage IIIA/B lung cancer]Saulius Cicenas
Department of Thoracic Surgery and Oncology, Institute of Oncology, Vilnius University, Santariskiu 1, 08660 Vilnius, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 45:452-9. 2009..To determine survival of patients with stage IIIA/B non-small cell lung cancer considering disease stage and treatment methods...
- A clinical dilemma: abdominal tuberculosisOya Uygur-Bayramicli
Kartal State Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
World J Gastroenterol 9:1098-101. 2003..To evaluate the clinical, radiological and microbiological properties of abdominal tuberculosis (TB) and to discuss methods needed to get the diagnosis...
- Phase III study comparing chemotherapy and radiotherapy with preoperative chemotherapy and surgical resection in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer with spread to mediastinal lymph nodes (N2); final report of RTOG 89-01. Radiation Therapy Oncology GDavid W Johnstone
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 54:365-9. 2002To compare the outcome of treatment of mediastinoscopy-verified N2 non-small-cell lung cancer treated with induction chemotherapy followed by either surgery or radiotherapy (RT), with both options followed by consolidation chemotherapy.
- Diagnostic accuracy of image-guided percutaneous fine needle aspiration biopsy of the mediastinumMargaret W Assaad
Baystate Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Springfield, A 01199, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 35:705-9. 2007..Image-guided transthoracic (percutaneous) FNAB is less invasive than mediastinoscopy or endoscopic-guided FNAB...
- Thoracoscopy in the treatment of pleural empyema in pediatric patientsDavi Wen Wei Kang
Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein, Hospital Jaraguá, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 34:205-11. 2008..To evaluate the results of thoracoscopy for the treatment of pleural empyema in pediatric patients...
- Screening for small-cell lung cancer: a follow-up study of patients with Lambert-Eaton myasthenic syndromeMaarten J Titulaer
Department of Neurology, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 26:4276-81. 2008..We evaluated screening to optimize screening strategy for SCLC. It is important to detect these tumors early in newly diagnosed patients with LEMS to offer optimal patient treatment...
- Exploratory thoracotomy and its influence on the survival of patients with lung cancerLucka Debevec
University Clinic of Respiratory and Allergic Diseases Golnik, Slovenia
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:479-84. 2006..To evaluate diagnostic procedures, reasons for exploratory thoracotomy (ET), causes of unresectability of lung cancer, possibility for reducing numbers of ETs, and the influence of ET on survival...
- Diagnosis and treatment of isolated tuberculous mediastinal lymphadenopathy in adultsA K Ayed
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University and Chest Diseases Hospital, Ministry of Health, Safat
Eur J Surg 167:334-8. 2001To evaluate the diagnostic yield of bronchoscopy and mediastinoscopy in adults with isolated mediastinal tuberculous lymphadenitis and to assess the effect of antituberculous treatment.
- Long-term outcomes following VATS lobectomy for non-small cell bronchogenic carcinomaWilliam S Walker
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh, Scotland EH3 9YW, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:397-402. 2003..We have, therefore, reviewed our experience with VATS lobectomy for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in an attempt to define the long-term results of VATS lobectomy in this setting...
- Computed tomography, positron emission tomography, positron emission tomography/computed tomography, and magnetic resonance imaging for staging of limited pleural mesothelioma: initial resultsChristian Plathow
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Invest Radiol 43:737-44. 2008..To evaluate and compare the role of computed tomography (CT), positron emission tomography (PET), PET/CT, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the correct staging of patients with limited malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM)...
- Endobronchial ultrasound for the diagnosis of pulmonary sarcoidosisSusan Garwood
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Chest 132:1298-304. 2007..b>Mediastinoscopy is often suggested as the next diagnostic step but entails significant cost and associated morbidity...
- A Population-Based Analysis of Mediastinal Staging for Non-Small Cell Lung CancerFarhood Farjah; Fiscal Year: 2007..whether geographic area and/or patient characteristics predict the use of computed tomography, PET, and mediastinoscopy in combination...
- SYNERGISTIC CT BRONCHOSCOPY FOR LUNG CANCER ASSESSMENTWilliam Higgins; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, our proposed visual and quantitative methodology could have direct applicability to other endoscopic procedures such as mediastinoscopy, colonoscopy (colorectal cancer), and cystoscopy (bladder cancer).
- Dectection of occult mediastinal lymph node mestastasesMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2007..computed tomography, positron emission tomography), or are invasive requiring general anesthesia (mediastinoscopy, thoracoscopy)...
- FLT PET to Plan the Best Therapy for Lung CancerHubert Vesselle; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the conclusion of this study, the insight gained in the response of stage III NSCLCs will allow clinicians to plan the best therapy for these patients. ..
- Lung Cancer Prognosis: FLT PET and DNA HypermethylationHubert Vesselle; Fiscal Year: 2007..This prognostic information will permit individualization and optimization of therapy for the 41,000 early stage NSCLC patients undergoing surgical resection each year in the United States. ..
- RRM1/PTEN Axis in Non-Small Cell Lung CancerGerold Bepler; Fiscal Year: 2007..The purpose of this application is to corroborate this hypothesis in a prospective phase II clinical trial with gemcitabine-based chemotherapy and radiation in patients with locally advanced inoperable stage III NSCLC. ..
- Exisulind for Chemoprevention of Lung CancerGerold Bepler; Fiscal Year: 2007..The data generated by these investigations will be important for future decisions on large-scale chemoprevention trials using disease incidence and mortality as endpoints. ..
- Lung Cancer Prognosis: FLT PET and DNA HypermethylationHubert Vesselle; Fiscal Year: 2009..This prognostic information will permit individualization and optimization of therapy for the 41,000 early stage NSCLC patients undergoing surgical resection each year in the United States. ..
- THE BIOLOGY OF LUNG CANCER-- FDG AND FLUOROTHYMIDINE PETHubert Vesselle; Fiscal Year: 2004..By performing a biologic grading of resectable NSCLC with FDG PET, we will predict which patients will have a worse outcome. This information will allow individualized therapy. ..
- Pharmacogenomics of Neoadjuvant Gemcitabine-Pemetrexed *Gerold Bepler; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- RRM1 in the Management of Lung CancerGerold Bepler; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Randomized Trial of EUS Neurolysis in Pancreas CancerMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary outcome will be a reduction in pain at 1 month. Secondary outcomes will include the durability of pain control, quality of life, narcotic use and narcotic side effects. ..