- Revision stapes surgery: the malleus to oval window wire-piston technique
Department of Otolaryngology, New York University, School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Laryngoscope 113:1520-4. 2003
To determine the effectiveness of the malleus to oval window wire-piston revision stapes surgery technique.
- Surgical findings and long-term hearing results in 3,050 stapedotomies for primary otosclerosis: a prospective study with the otology-neurotology database
Jean Causse Ear Clinic, Traverse de Béziers, Colombiers, France
Otol Neurotol 27:S25-47. 2006
To evaluate with a new otologic database the results of primary stapes surgery for otosclerosis with up to 14 years of follow-up in a consecutive series of 2,525 patients operated on by the same surgeon with the same technique (..
- Audiological long-term results following stapedotomy with stapedial tendon preservation
HNO Klinik, Inselspital, Universitat Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:210-4. 2007
..These favorable results remained constant in long-term controls...
- Stapes surgery in the elderly
Centro di Otologia srl, Bari, Italy
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:231-6. 2007
..Although the success rate, defined as a postoperative air-bone gap within 10 dB, was lower in the older group (71%) than in the younger group (92%), stapedectomy remains an effective surgical procedure also in the elderly...
- Hearing results after stapedotomy with a nitinol piston prosthesis
Kevin D Brown
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:758-62. 2007
..To compare the hearing results in patients with otosclerosis who underwent a stapedotomy with either a platinum wire prosthesis or a commercially available, heat-activated nitinol stapes piston prosthesis...
- Transient evoked and distortion product otoacoustic emissions following successful stapes surgery
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, , Josef-Schneider-Strasse 11, , Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 258:61-6. 2001
BACKGROUND: The effect of stapes surgery on the recording of otoacoustic emissions is unknown...
- Middle-ear mechanics of Type III tympanoplasty (stapes columella): I. Experimental studies
Ritvik P Mehta
Department of Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Otol Neurotol 24:176-85. 2003
..To investigate the mechanics of Type III tympanoplasty by developing a cadaveric temporal bone model...
- Diagnostic utility of laser-Doppler vibrometry in conductive hearing loss with normal tympanic membrane
John J Rosowski
Department of Otology and Laryngology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Otol Neurotol 24:165-75. 2003
..More generally, we hypothesize that laser-Doppler vibrometry measurements of umbo velocity can give information about how differences in the impedance that the ossicles work against affect middle-ear function...
- Effects of ossicular prosthesis mass and section of the stapes tendon on middle ear transmission
E A R Laboratory, Division of Otolaryngology, Department of Surgery, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
J Otolaryngol 36:113-9. 2007
..The effects of changing prosthesis mass on middle ear transmission have not been previously systematically studied. Neither has the effect of stapes tendon sectioning. These are important parameters that can be surgically varied...
- Differences in the perilymph fluid stimulation before and after experimental stapedotomy
Institute of Micromechanics and Photonics, Faculty of Mechatronics, Warsaw University of Technology, Poland
Acta Bioeng Biomech 14:67-73. 2012
..The results in this report are the part of a larger study designed to develop a new type of chamber stapes or whole middle ear prosthesis...
- First experience with a new titanium clip stapes prosthesis and a comparison with the earlier model used in stapes surgery
Joachim A Hornung
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Friedrich Alexander University Medical School, Erlangen, Germany
Laryngoscope 119:2421-7. 2009
The aim of the study was to gain the first clinical experience with a new titanium clip prosthesis in stapes surgery, and to compare this model with its predecessor...
- Stapedotomy with microdrill or carbon dioxide laser: influence on inner ear function
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Saint Augustine Hospital, Antwerp, Belgium
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 115:880-5; discussion 886. 2006
- Fixation of the anterior mallear ligament: diagnosis and consequences for hearing results in stapes surgery
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 112:348-55. 2003
In the search for possible causes of unfavorable results after stapes surgery, the study reported here focused on the anterior mallear ligament, since it has been previously reported that partial mallear fixation (PMF) leads to functional ..
- Patient's quality of life and hearing outcomes after stapes surgery
School of Surgery and Pathology, The University of Western Australia, Australia
Clin Otolaryngol 31:273-9. 2006
To determine the quality of life (QOL) after stapes surgery and whether audiological parameters for hearing correlate with specific QOL factors.
- Comparison of round-window membrane mechanics before and after experimental stapedotomy
Department of Otolaryngology and Rehabilitation, 2nd Faculty of Medicine, Medical University of Warsaw, Nadarzyn, Poland
Laryngoscope 121:1958-64. 2011
..In the case of stapedotomy, the majority of patients report lack of satisfactory results for frequencies above 2,000 Hz. The effect has not been experimentally investigated yet...
- Stapedectomy versus stapedotomy
Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:169-73. 2007
..02) at the 20-dB level in favor of the Teflon wire piston. Our results show that the small fenestra technique with a 0.4-mm piston causes better speech reception at high frequencies...
- [Significance of computed tomography evaluation before revision stapes surgery]
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohren Heilkunde, Hals und Gesichtschirurgie, Kantonsspital Luzern, Spitalstrasse, 6000, Luzern, Schweiz
HNO 56:895-900. 2008
..Unsuccessful outcomes are infrequent, but revision surgery may become necessary. We have analyzed the value of computed tomography (CT) scanning following unsuccessful stapes surgery.
- Delayed peripheral facial palsy in the stapes surgery: can it be prevented?
Area of Orolaryngology, Interdisciplinary Center for Biomedical Research, University Campus Bio Medico, Rome, Italy
Am J Otolaryngol 25:105-8. 2004
..The aim of this study was to evaluate poststapedectomy-delayed facial palsy etiopathogenesis, risk factors, evolution, and prevention...
- Eliminating the limitations of manual crimping in stapes surgery? A preliminary trial with the shape memory Nitinol stapes piston
Gunesh P Rajan
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Lions Ear and Hearing Institute, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands 6009, Australia
Laryngoscope 115:366-9. 2005
..To eliminate the effects of manual crimping on stapedotomy outcomes, the self-crimping, shape memory alloy Nitinol stapes piston was investigated and hearing evaluated...
- Results of stapes surgery on patients with osteogenesis imperfecta
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, UK
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 26:473-6. 2001
..The pre- and postoperative results are presented and support the view that stapes surgery in OI can have encouraging results, provided the operator anticipates the possibility of a fractured crura and ..
- Stapedectomy versus stapedotomy: comparison of results with long-term follow-up
Howard P House
House Ear Clinic, Los Angeles, California 90057, USA
Laryngoscope 112:2046-50. 2002
..To compare the effectiveness and long-term stability of hearing results between stapedectomy and small fenestra stapedotomy in patients with conductive hearing loss due to otosclerosis...
- Congenital incudostapedial anomalies in adult stapes surgery: a case-series review
Jeffery J Kuhn
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, VA, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 32:477-84. 2011
The management of developmental anomalies of the ossicular chain and otic capsule in stapes surgery tests the otologist's diagnostic skills and flexibility in technique and prosthesis choice...
- Robot-assisted stapedotomy: micropick fenestration of the stapes footplate
Daniel L Rothbaum
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital, MD 21287, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 127:417-26. 2002
..Micropick fenestration of the stapes footplate, a difficult step in stapedotomy, was selected for trials evaluating the potential for robotic assistance (RA) to improve clinical measures of surgical performance...
- Effect of aspiration of perilymph during stapes surgery on the endocochlear potential of guinea pig
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 145:801-5. 2011
Suction applied to the vestibule through the oval window during stapes surgery is considered a primary risk for postoperative sensorineural hearing impairment...
- Task performance in stapedotomy: comparison between surgeons of different experience levels
Daniel L Rothbaum
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Center for Computer Integrated Surgical Systems and Technology, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 128:71-7. 2003
..We conducted trials to determine if experience correlates with differences in performance for these tasks...
- Retrospective analysis of the results of implanting Nitinol pistons with heat-crimping piston loops in stapes surgery
Joachim Albert Hornung
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, FAU Medical School, Waldstr 1, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 267:27-34. 2010
..here evaluates the hearing results after the implantation of a new nickel-titanium (Nitinol) prosthesis in stapes surgery; on heating, this prosthesis crimps itself around the long process of the incus...
- Reparative granuloma seen in cases of gold piston implantation after stapes surgery for otosclerosis
Rinze A Tange
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Auris Nasus Larynx 29:7-10. 2002
..to determine the occurrence of the unusual side effect of a reparative granuloma after the implantation of a pure gold piston in cases of otosclerosis...
- Eliminating the limitations of manual crimping in stapes surgery: mid-term results of 90 patients in the Nitinol stapes piston multicenter trial
Gunesh P Rajan
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Lions Ear and Hearing Institute, University of Western Australia, Fremantle, Australia
Laryngoscope 117:1236-9. 2007
- Experimental study on heat transmission to the vestibule during CO2 laser use in revision stapes surgery
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Medical University of Lublin, Poland
J Laryngol Otol 121:5-8. 2007
We studied the transmission of heat to the vestibule during revision stapes surgery with a piston in situ, using a CO2 laser, in an in vitro model...
- Stapedectomy in congenital stapes fixation: are hearing outcomes poorer?
Becky L Massey
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:816-8. 2006
..To evaluate outcomes of stapedectomy surgery for congenital stapes fixation...
- Argon laser assisted small fenestra stapedotomy for otosclerosis
New Cross Hospital, Wednesfield Road, Wolverhampton WV10 0QP, UK
Auris Nasus Larynx 32:11-5. 2005
..There were no major complications. Argon laser reduces mechanical trauma to the vestibule and increases precision resulting in consistent hearing results in all frequencies and reduced post-operative morbidity...
- [Results after erbium:YAG-laser stapedotomy]
Universitäts HNO Klinik Ulm
Laryngorhinootologie 82:157-61. 2003
..The analysis of postoperative results after Erbium : YAG-Laser stapedotomy in patients with otosclerosis...
- Audiological evaluation of patients with otosclerosis
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:119-26. 2007
..For both of these aims, speech audiometric tests such as a speech reception threshold should be included in the preoperative audiological evaluation of patients with otosclerosis...
- [Cochlear protection and surgical precision in stapedotomy with Er:YAG laser]
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen und Ohren Heilkunde, Universitätsklinikum Freiburg i Br
Laryngorhinootologie 85:333-7. 2006
..We analyzed the clinical effect of Er:YAG laser with the question whether the postulated cochlea protection and foot plate perforation, optimized for better sound conduction, are achieved, compared to conventional stapedotomy...
- First experience with a new stapes clip piston in stapedotomy
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Otol Neurotol 26:595-8. 2005
..This new type of stapes piston was designed to avoid the crimping onto the incus in stapedotomy. This one clip fits all designs and enables solid fixation by clicking the prosthesis onto the long process of the incus without crimping...
- Retrospective analysis of early postoperative hearing results obtained after stapedotomy with implantation of a new titanium stapes prosthesis
C L Zuur
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Academical Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Otol Neurotol 24:863-7. 2003
..To evaluate the early postoperative hearing results of a new titanium stapes prosthesis (K-Piston) implanted in patients with otosclerosis...
- Distortion product otoacoustic emissions in otosclerosis: intraoperative findings
Department of Neurology and Otolaryngology, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:133-6. 2007
..of the study was to investigate changes in middle ear dynamic characteristics caused by both otosclerosis and stapes surgery (platinotomy, prosthesis positioning, ossicular chain maneuver) and to evaluate distortion product otoacoustic ..
- The influence of the footplate-perilymph interface on postoperative bone conduction
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Technical University of unich, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Munich, Germany
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:155-7. 2007
- Vein versus tragal perichondrium in stapedotomy
University Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Grenoble Hospital, Grenoble, France
Otol Neurotol 25:694-8. 2004
..To assess, in otosclerosis surgery, whether the vein or the tragal perichondrium in stapedotomy with interposition yields the better long-term hearing outcome...
- Histologic changes on stapedial footplate in otosclerosis. Correlations between histologic activity and clinical findings
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Cervicofacial Surgery, University Medical Center Ljubljana, Slovenia
Otol Neurotol 24:43-7. 2003
..To quantify the relationship between the stage of histologic changes of the stapedial footplate in otosclerosis and the magnitude of preoperative hearing loss, tinnitus, vestibular disorder, and postoperative improvement of hearing...
- [Change in otosclerosis presentation over two decades]
Klinika Otolaryngologii AM w Lublinie
Otolaryngol Pol 56:557-60. 2002
..001). In the last decade patients with otosclerosis presented with smaller hearing loss, smaller air-bone gap and had bilateral disease less frequently than patients in eighties...
- [Surgical experience by 95 malformed stampedes and otosclerosis]
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Affiliated Beijing Tongren Hospital of Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing, 100730, China
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 19:9-11. 2005
To investigate the effect of stapes surgery for conductive hearing loss with intact tympanic membrane and eustachian tube.
- Video-oculography findings in patients with otosclerosis
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Otol Neurotol 26:1134-7. 2005
To evaluate the existence of vestibular irritation with video-oculography before and after stapes surgery and to examine whether there would be signs of specific end-organ irritation.
- Safety of the erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser in stapes surgery in otosclerosis
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Otol Neurotol 23:21-4. 2002
..The purpose of this study was to present early and late bone-conduction hearing thresholds and data about cochlear and vestibular disturbances in patients after erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet (Er:YAG) laser stapedotomy in otosclerosis...
- Role of stapes surgery in improving hearing loss caused by otosclerosis
M R Marchese
Institute of Otorhinolaryngology, Policlinico A Gemelli, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
J Laryngol Otol 121:438-43. 2007
The aim of our study was to evaluate the functional results of stapes surgery and to compare the effectiveness of small fenestra stapedotomy with that of total stapedectomy in improving hearing in patients affected by otosclerosis...
- Bone conduction variation poststapedotomy
ENT Department S Maria delle Grazie Hospital Pozzuoli, Naples, Italy
Am J Otolaryngol 27:330-3. 2006
..05). In conclusion, this study allows us to express a positive prognosis when considering otosclerotic patients with sensorineural hearing loss and small air-bone gap...
- Transient depression of inner ear function after stapedotomy: skeeter versus CO(2) laser technique
University ENT Department, Sint Augustinus Hospital, Wilrijk, Belgium
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:267-72. 2007
Performing stapes surgery for otosclerosis is known to be potentially irreversibly harmful to the inner ear function in about 1% of the cases...
- [Glasgow Benefit Plot for evaluation of stapedectomy result]
Klinika Otolaryngologii AM w Lublinie
Otolaryngol Pol 57:403-6. 2003
..Evaluation of hearing tests using the Glasgow Benefit Plot enables to evaluate patient's hearing disability and to predict possible benefit from surgery for individual cases...
- [Temporary sensory hearing deficits after ear surgery--a retrospective analysis]
Hals Nasen Ohrenklinik, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg
Laryngorhinootologie 86:200-5. 2007
..Temporary and persistent threshold shifts can occur after ear surgery. So far, only few studies deal with temporary sensory hearing deficits after ear surgery...
- Predictive factors in pediatric stapedectomy
D Bradley Welling
Department of Otolaryngology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Laryngoscope 113:1515-9. 2003
..The objective of the study was to investigate predictive factors in the postoperative hearing outcomes in pediatric stapedectomy...
- Partial promontory technique in stapedotomy cases with narrow niche
Michelle M Inserra
California Ear Institute, Palo Alto 94303, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:443-6. 2004
..The objective of this study was to examine clinical and audiometric outcomes of a laser partial promontory technique in stapedotomy cases with a narrow oval window niche...
- Bilateral stapedectomy: association between first- and second-ear surgical findings and their effects on the second-ear outcome
Neville P Shine
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Australia
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 117:207-11. 2008
..We assessed the association between first-ear and second-ear surgical findings in patients undergoing second-ear stapedectomy for bilateral otosclerosis and the impact of such findings on the audiometric outcome of the second ear...
- Exploratory tympanotomy revealing incus discontinuity and stapedial otosclerosis as a cause of conductive hearing loss
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Otol Neurotol 27:466-8. 2006
..To describe a unilateral progressive conductive hearing loss caused by incus discontinuity (without erosion of the long process of the incus), and otosclerosis with fixation of the stapedial footplate...
- Effect of cochlear reserve on postoperative outcome in otosclerosis
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, GATA KBB Anabilim Dali, Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:489-93. 2007
- [Analysis of results of stapedotomy in patients with obliterative otosclerosis]
Katedra i Klinika Laryngologii Sl AM w Katowicach
Otolaryngol Pol 60:377-83. 2006
..In the case of obliterative otosclerosis the only effective way of treatment is surgery...
- [Long-term results after stapes surgery for otosclerosis]
Department of Otolaryngology, Japanese Red Cross Nagoya First Hospital, Nagoya
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 105:1071-7. 2002
..We concluded that stapedotomy and wire piston prosthesis are the surgical techniques of choice in the treatment of otosclerosis...
- Revision stapes surgery: retrospective analysis of surgical findings in a series of 21 otosclerosis patients
Department of Otosurgery, Medical University of Lodz, Lodz, Poland
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:273-7. 2007
Retrospective analysis of surgical findings in revision stapes surgery in a group of 21 otosclerosis patients qualified for the secondary procedure at the Otosurgery Department of the Medical University of Lodz, Poland, from 1980 to 2002.
- Revision stapes surgery
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital of Essen, Essen, Germany
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:314-9. 2007
..In a second series, a significant hearing improvement of 76.2% was found. One patient with a platinum Teflon implant had to be revised because of vertigo and conductive hearing loss which was observed during MRI...
- Vibrant soundbridge middle ear implant in otosclerosis: technique - indication
J Causse Clinic, Beziers, France
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:320-2. 2007
..The gains of the two procedures add up. These results open the field of mixed hearing loss to the VSB middle ear implant...
- How does stapes surgery influence severe disabling tinnitus in otosclerosis patients?
Carlos A Oliveira
Department of Otolaryngology, Brasilia University Medical School, Brasilia, Brazil
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:343-7. 2007
..Many papers have been written about tinnitus outcome after stapes surgery. However, none has attempted to quantify the intensity of the symptom pre- and postoperatively in order to ..
- Patients' lives following stapedectomy complications
Jean Philippe Guyot
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:348-52. 2007
..In order to better assist patients in choosing amongst options, we have taken action and modified our approach in advising our patients eligible for stapedotomy procedures...
- [Laser stapedotomy--the modern solution of otosclerotic stapes fixation]
Pecsi Tudomanyegyetem, Altalános Orvostudományi Kar Fül orr gégészeti és Fej nyaksebészeti Klinika Pécs Munkácsy M u 2 7621
Orv Hetil 148:2241-7. 2007
..Nowadays not only stapedectomy and partial stapedectomy, but stapedotomy can also be considered a well established otological procedure...
- Stapes surgery in residency: the UFPR clinical hospital experience
Adriano Ulisses Caldart
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 73:647-53. 2007
..Recent publications have showed that success in surgeries done by residents have decreased and hearing results are worse than those obtained by experienced otologic surgeons...
- Outcome and lack of prognostic factors in stapes surgery
Jean Marc Gerard
ENT Department, University Hospital Saint Luc, Brussels, Belgium
Otol Neurotol 29:290-4. 2008
To analyze predictive factors of outcome after primary stapes surgery for otosclerosis.
- The effect of stapes mobility on hearing outcome and which procedure to choose in fixed stapes in children tympanosclerosis
Ministry of Health Ankara Research and Training Hospital, E N T Department, Turkey
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 72:849-56. 2008
..Our objective was to evaluate the features of tympanosclerosis in children and to determine the effect of stapes mobility and the type of one-stage operation on hearing outcomes...
- Involvement of the incudostapedial joint anomaly in conductive deafness
Department of Otolaryngology, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 128:515-9. 2008
..We must be aware that the pathology of the congenital ossicular anomalies is variable and careful surgery is needed for hearing improvement...
- Technical and clinical aspects of 'one-shot' CO(2) laser stapedotomy
ENT Department, Charite University Medical Center, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin, Germany
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:255-66. 2007
In order to further optimize the surgical technique with the CO(2) laser in stapes surgery, a scanner system was used to obtain a footplate perforation of 0.5-0.6mm with only one laser application ('one-shot' stapedotomy).
- Efficacy of evaluation of audiometric results after stapes surgery in otosclerosis. I. The effects of using different audiologic parameters and criteria on success rates
A J De Bruijn
Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 124:76-83. 2001
..Also, choice of preoperative or postoperative BC in computing postoperative ABGs had a significant effect on the mean postoperative ABG levels, showing more favorable results with the use of preoperative BC thresholds...
- Efficacy of evaluation of audiometric results after stapes surgery in otosclerosis. II. A method for reporting results from individual cases
A J De Bruijn
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery and the Department of Audiology (Professor Dreschler, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 124:84-9. 2001
..This results in 2 plots, which we called the Amsterdam Hearing Evaluation Plots. Audiometric data from 451 stapes operations were used to demonstrate the use of the Amsterdam Hearing Evaluation Plots...
- A new self-fixing and articulated malleus grip stapedectomy prosthesis
Department of ENT, Head and Neck Surgery, Inselspital, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:197-201. 2007
..It appears that with the new Clip Piston MVP the previously difficult surgery of malleus-grip stapedectomy has become straight forward and technically simpler...
- Incidence and characteristics of otosclerosis in the Japanese population
Department of Otolaryngology, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5 Sendagi, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8603, Japan
Auris Nasus Larynx 29:257-60. 2002
..However, in recent years the incidence of this disease seems to have increased. Here we report about the characteristics and incidence of this disease in the Japanese population who underwent stapes surgery in our department.
- Autogenic and xenogenic materials in stapes surgery: retrospective analysis of 350 cases
Otosurgery Department, Medical University of Lodz, Lodz, Poland
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:179-83. 2007
Retrospective analysis of the postoperative hearing results in stapes surgery using autogenic materials versus xenogenic materials at the 12-month follow-up.
- Laser stapedotomy minus prosthesis (laser STAMP): absence of refixation
Ear Research Foundation, Sarasota, Florida, USA
Otol Neurotol 23:152-7. 2002
..To determine what percentage of patients with otosclerosis could successfully undergo a laser stapedotomy minus prosthesis over a 5-year period, and to determine the percentage of patients in whom refixation develops during follow-up...
- [Stability of auditory thresholds during the first 5 weeks after stapedectomy]
G L Morín Murillo
Servicio de Otorrinolaringologia, Hospital General del Centro Médico Nacional La Raza, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Mexico D F
Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 53:321-5. 2002
..The gain observed at week 5 after surgery was similar to the gain observed at week 12. In conclusion, in this study, stable air conduction auditory thresholds were obtained during the first month after stapedectomy...
- Malleostapedotomy: the Marburg experience
C V Dalchow
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Philipps University of Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:215-21. 2007
..The surgical procedure for patients with otosclerosis routinely is incus stapedotomy. In case of otosclerosis with incus necrosis or a bony fixation of the malleus and incus, malleostapedotomy is performed...
- Stapes surgery in Japanese patients with osteogenesis imperfecta
Department of Otolaryngology and Sensory Organ Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Adv Otorhinolaryngol 65:226-30. 2007
..Between 1993-2004, primary stapes surgery was performed on 14 ears of 11 OI patients who presented with conductive and/or mixed hearing loss...
- Stapedotomy for tympanosclerotic stapes fixation: is it safe and efficient? A review of 68 cases
Jean Causse Ear Clinic, Traverse de Béziers, Clombiers, France
Otol Neurotol 23:866-72. 2002
..The procedure is traditionally considered to carry a high risk of postoperative sensorineural hearing loss. The aim of this study was to report the hearing results in surgically treated cases of stapes fixation...
- Hearing results after stapedotomy: role of the prosthesis diameter
Maria Raffaella Marchese
Institute of Otorhinolaryngology, Policlinico A Gemelli, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Roma, Italy
Audiol Neurootol 12:221-5. 2007
..To evaluate the functional results obtained after stapedotomy in patients affected by otosclerosis, according to the prosthesis diameter...
- Non-syndromal round window atresia: an autosomal dominant genetic disorder with variable penetrance?
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264:1103-8. 2007
..Therefore, routine examination of the round window in stapes surgery should be part of every stapes surgery and a high resolution CT scan should be considered in particular prior ..
- [Malleostapedotomy in stapes surgery for otosclerosis with malleus/incus mobility disorder]
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Guangdong Provincial People s Hospital, Guangzhou, 510080, China
Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 21:791-3. 2007
..To evaluate the feasibility, safety and effectiveness of malleostapedotomy based on malleus-oval window technique in otosclerosis with malleus/incus mobility disorder...
- [The small fenestra vs large stapedectomy: comparative evaluation of failures and complications]
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 16:28-35. 1996
..facial paralysis, ear drum perforation, disgeusia, tinnitus) are also present with relative frequency in stapes surgery (4.2%); among them, however, only impairment or appearance of tinnitus (0...
- The influence of postoperative tissue formation on sound transmission after stapes surgery
Jae Hoon Sim
University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
Hear Res 263:38-42. 2010
..that tissue ongrowth in the incus-prosthesis interface has little influence on sound transmission following stapes surgery. The goals of the study were to: (1) investigate the extent of postoperative tissue ongrowth over the stapes ..
- Comparison of argon and CO2 laser stapedotomy in primary otosclerosis surgery
C A Buchman
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Miami School of Medicine, FL, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 21:227-30. 2000
..safety of visible (argon and potassium-titanyl-phosphate [KTP]) and invisible (CO2) light laser systems in stapes surgery report conflicting results...
- Influence of a totally open oval window on bone conduction in otosclerosis
University Department of ENT, Head and Neck Surgery, Inselspital, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Audiol Neurootol 16:23-8. 2011
..The aim of this study was to evaluate changes in bone conduction thresholds before, during and after total stapedectomy...
- Vein graft in stapes surgery
S A Kamal
King Fahad National Guard Hospital, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Am J Otol 17:230-5. 1996
Sealing the opening of the oval window during stapes surgery is essential; it prevents postoperative complications, such as perilymph fistula and sensorineural hearing loss...
- [Variations and incidents encountered during stapes surgery for otosclerosis]
Fondation Adolphe de Rothschild, Service ORL, Paris
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 116:8-14. 1999
The aim of this study was to report peroperative variations and incidents encountered during stapes surgery for otosclerosis, from a retrospective series of 293 primary stapedectomies performed in the ENT department of Fondation Adolphe ..
- [Revision surgery of otosclerosis: a review of 26 cases]
Service ORL, Fondation Adolphe de Rothschild, 25 29 rue Manin, 75019 Paris
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 117:281-90. 2000
The aim of this study was to identify causes of primary stapedectomy failures and to evaluate hearing results in revision stapes surgery.
- [Long term results stape surgery]
Katedra i Klinika Laryngologii Sl AM w Katowicach
Otolaryngol Pol 60:653-61. 2006
..In previous years an "over-closure" effect was taken into consideration. Hearing improvement post stapes surgery which included the "over closure" effect was obviously better...
- [Techniques of iconographic documentation]
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 16:6-12. 1996
The Authors describe modalities of photography and videorecording that should be used in stapes surgery and report the solutions they adopted to get iconographic documentation of high quality standard...
- Masked patulous Eustachian tube: an important diagnostic precaution before middle ear surgery
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 218:317-24. 2009
..are presented: two exhibited symptoms after repair of chronic perforation of the tympanic membrane, one after stapes surgery for otosclerosis, and one after cholesteatoma surgery...
- [Health aspects of diving in ENT medicine. Part II: Diving fitness]
Hals Nasen Ohren Universitätsklinik Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
HNO 52:845-7; quiz 858-9. 2004
..Even after stapes surgery, diving can be resumed when there are no signs of vestibular irritation during a provocation test...
- Revision surgery in otosclerosis--an investigation of the factors which influence the hearing result
C B Pedersen
ENT Department, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 21:385-8. 1996
..This indicates that in stapes surgery the greatest chance for hearing improvement is the first operation, therefore centralization of this type of ..
- Air- and bone-conducted vestibular evoked myogenic potentials (VEMPs) in otosclerosis: recordings before and after stapes surgery
Area of Otolaryngology, Campus Bio Medico University of Rome, Via Alvaro del Portillo 200, Rome, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 30:5-10. 2010
..In conclusion, VEMPs reduced elicitability, in otosclerosis, is likely due to conductive hearing loss and inner ear impairment...
- Tinnitus in childhood
Center for Deaf Children, Berlin Neukoelln, Germany
Int Tinnitus J 8:20-6. 2002
..We also considered as a cause of tinnitus skull or brain trauma, acute hearing loss, and stapes surgery. However, the mechanisms of tinnitus development were not immediately clear in a large proportion of the ..
- [Stapes fixation in children]
Klinik und Poliklinik für Hals Nasen Ohren Heilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie Otto Körner der Universität Rostock
HNO 52:1076-82. 2004
The audiometric results after stapes surgery in children with isolated stapes footplate fixation were reason enough to analyze intraoperative findings and surgical procedures.
- [Stapedotomy vs stapedectomy. Comparison of hearing results]
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 16:36-41. 1996
..selected at random from an operative case-report of 1857 subjects, in order to evaluate hearing results of stapes surgery and to compare the recovery obtained using both small (0.7 mm footplate hole) and large fenestra stapedectomy...
- Teflon-wire piston or stainless-steel bucket stapes prosthesis: does it make a difference?
J B Farrior
Farrior Ear Clinic, Tampa, Fla, USA
Ear Nose Throat J 78:252-3, 257-60. 1999
..The mean hearing gain for the patients who received the Teflon-wire piston was 23.3 dB after primary stapes surgery and 20.5 dB after revision surgery...
- [Superelastic nitinol stapes prostheses]
Klinikum Bielefeld, Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Bielefeld
Laryngorhinootologie 89:271-5. 2010
SUPERELASTIC NITINOL STAPES PROSTHESESINTRODUCTION: Many different prostheses are available for stapes surgery. The newly designed Nitinol piston band-shaped stapes prosthesis could minimize postoperative complications due to its new ..
- Small fenestra stapedotomy using a fiberoptic hand-held argon laser in obliterative otosclerosis
S G Gherini
Mercy Hospital, Sacramento, CA
Laryngoscope 100:1276-82. 1990
Obliterative otosclerosis has been a challenge since the advent of stapes surgery. "Drill-out" procedures have had a generally poorer prognosis than conventional stapes surgery because of excessive bleeding, acoustic trauma from ..
- Otosclerosis and measles virus - association or causation?
H P Niedermeyer
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Klinikum r d Isar, Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 70:63-9; discussion 69-70. 2008
..Indeed, some surgeons reported decreasing numbers of stapes surgery and a shift towards elder patients...
- The unilateral stapes gusher
Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Cervicofacial Surgery, Maribor Teaching Hospital, Maribor, Slovenia
Wien Klin Wochenschr 116:90-2. 2004
A stapes gusher is an alarming situation occurring during stapes surgery for mixed hearing loss...