jaw fixation techniques
Summary: The stable placement of surgically induced fractures of the mandible or maxilla through the use of elastics, wire ligatures, arch bars, or other splints. It is used often in the cosmetic surgery of retrognathism and prognathism. (From Dorland, 28th ed, p636)
Publications164 found, 100 shown here
- Comparison of stability of absorbable and titanium plate and screw fixation for sagittal split ramus osteotomyDogan Dolanmaz
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Postal Code 42079, Konya, Turkey
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:127-32. 2004..The results indicate that when absorbable miniplates are used intermaxillary fixation may be necessary to stabilise the bony fragments in the early postoperative period...
- The functional long-term results after bilateral sagittal split osteotomy (BSSO) with and without a condylar positioning deviceMarcus Gerressen
Department of Oral, Maxillofacial and Plastic Facial Surgery, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1624-30. 2006....
- Masticatory function and neurosensory disturbance after mandibular correction by bilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy: a comparison between miniplate and bicortical screw rigid internal fixationY Yamashita
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saga Medical School, 5 1 1 Nabeshima, Saga 849 8501, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:118-22. 2007..As the two methods seem to provide equal comfort and reliability, the choice should be made by the individual surgeon...
- [Modified Risdon approach for the treatment of subcondylar fractures of the mandible]C Meyer
Service de Stomatologie et de Chirurgie Maxillo Faciale, CHU de Besancon, France
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 107:449-54. 2006
- The use of self-reinforced biodegradable bone plates and screws in orthognathic surgeryTimothy A Turvey
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7450, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:59-65. 2002..Patient acceptance, demographics, types of osteotomy, means of stabilization, etiology of the deformity, complications, and patient disposition are reviewed...
- Biomechanical evaluation of different types of rigid internal fixation techniques for subcondylar fracturesKazuhiro Tominaga
Associate Professor, First Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kyushu Dental College, Kitakyushu, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1510-6. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the biomechanical stability of various internal fixation systems for subcondylar fractures...
- Transverse displacement of the proximal segment after bilateral sagittal osteotomy: a comparison of lag screw fixation versus miniplates with monocortical screw techniqueJonas P Becktor
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Maxillofacial Unit, Specialisttandvarden, Lanssjukhuset, Halmstad, Sweden
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:104-11. 2008....
- Comparative analysis of the threaded and tapered locking reconstruction platesDomenick P Coletti
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Maryland Medical Center, R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Unit, Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2587-93. 2007
- Clinical evaluation of mechanically optimized plates for the treatment of condylar process fracturesRudolf Seemann
Medical University of Vienna, University Hospital of Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Vienna, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:e1-4. 2007..The plate has been designed according to finite element calculations in order to optimize mechanical stability and stiffness. The potential influence of this plate on the postoperative complication rate was assessed...
- Transmasseteric antero-parotid approach for open reduction and internal fixation of condylar fracturesA W Wilson
St Richard s Hospital, Chichester, West Sussex PO19 4SE, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:57-60. 2005....
- Sagittal split osteotomy of a vascularised iliac crest free flap to correct residual asymmetry and malocclusion in the reconstructed mandibleB G Visavadia
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Maxillofacial Unit, Queen Victoria Hospital, Holtye Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex RH19 3DZ, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 43:65-7. 2005..We report two cases in which mandibular asymmetry followed reconstruction with such grafts and was corrected by sagittal split osteotomies...
- Mechanical characteristics of the mandible after bilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy: comparing 2 different fixation techniquesCheng Jen Chuong
Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX 76019, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:68-76. 2005..Using finite element (FE) computer model simulation, we compared the mechanical characteristics of the mandible after bilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy (BSSRO) through the use of 2 different techniques to stabilize the osteotomy...
- The use of an intermaxillary fixation screw for mandibular setback surgeryKoichiro Ueki
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1562-8. 2007..To assess skeletal stability after mandibular setback surgery with and without an intermaxillary fixation (IMF) screw...
- An unusual fracture of the mandible 20 months after a split sagittal osteotomyA Chandu
Maxillofacial Surgery Unit, St George s Hospital, London, UK
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:491-3. 2008..An unusual fracture of the mandible is reported that occurred 20 months after a bilateral split sagittal osteotomy...
- A prospective trial of poly-L-lactic/polyglycolic acid co-polymer plates and screws for internal fixation of mandibular fracturesC Ferretti
Division of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Chris Hani Baragawanth Hospital and University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 37:242-8. 2008..7%-43%. PLLA/PGA co-polymer plate and screw fixation of mandibular fractures, although technically more challenging and costly, is a viable alternative to traditional metal devices in selected patients...
- A biomechanical evaluation of plating techniques used for reconstructing mandibular symphysis/parasymphysis fracturesMatthew J Madsen
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40536, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:2012-9. 2008..The purpose of this investigation was to evaluate and compare the biomechanical behavior of 5 different methods used to repair mandibular symphysis/parasymphysis fractures...
- The fixation of sagittal split osteotomies with miniplates: the versatility of a techniquePaul J W Stoelinga
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Nijmegan, The Netherlands
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1471-6. 2003
- Bicortical screw stabilization of sagittal split osteotomiesMark W Ochs
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, PA 15213, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:1477-84. 2003
- Closed versus open operative treatment of nondisplaced diacapitular (Class VI) fracturesConstantin A Landes
Maxillofacial and Plastic Facial Surgery, The Frankfurt University Medical Center, Frankfurt, Germany
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1586-94. 2008....
- Stability of skeletal class III malocclusion after combined maxillary and mandibular procedures: rigid internal fixation versus wire osteosynthesis of the mandibleMassimo Politi
Department of Maxillo Facial Sirgery, Faculty of Medicine, Universisty of Udine, Udine, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 62:169-81. 2004..The aim of this study was to evaluate skeletal stability after double-jaw surgery for correction of skeletal Class III malocclusion to assess whether there were any differences between wire and rigid fixation of the mandible...
- Histological and molecular temporomandibular joint analyses after mandibular advancement surgery: study in minipigsRicardo de Lima Navarro
Department of Orthodontics, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 106:331-8. 2008....
- An alternative method in mandibular fracture treatment: bone graft use instead of a plateMurat Sahin Alagoz
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kocaeli University Faculty of Medicine, Kocaeli, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 19:411-20. 2008..The advantage of this technique of fixation with the autogenous tissue is reduced infection rates and reduced operation costs. In the pediatric patients, the second session operation of plate removal is not necessary...
- Miniplate fixation of high condylar fracture and postoperative exercise regimenKun Hwang
Department of Plastic Surgery, Inha University Hospital, 7 206 Singheung dong, Jung Gu, Incheon, 400 711, Korea
J Craniofac Surg 16:113-6. 2005..After the bracket is removed on postoperative day 28, the patient exercises the chin laterally without any guiding elastic fixation for approximately 1 week. This regimen can be widely used in ostectomy-osteosynthesis cases...
- The assessment of blood loss in orthognathic surgery for prognathiaKoichiro Ueki
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:350-4. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate differences between patients who underwent different orthognathic procedures, and to assess the need for transfusion in orthognathic surgery...
- Biomechanical comparison of plating techniques for fractures of the mandibular condyleAlper Alkan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ondokuz Mayis University Faculty of Dentistry, 55139, Kurupelit, Samsun, Turkey
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45:145-9. 2007..75 and 3.50mm. Our study showed that the titanium miniadaptation plates, minicompression plates, and the absorbable miniplates did not differ significantly in their biomechanical behaviour...
- Open reduction and rigid internal fixation of mandibular condylar fractures by an intraoral approach: a long-term follow-up study of 15 patientsThomas Jensen
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1771-9. 2006..To evaluate the long-term results obtained with open reduction and rigid internal fixation of mandibular condylar fractures by an intraoral approach...
- The incidence of postoperative wound healing problems following sagittal ramus osteotomies stabilized with miniplates and monocortical screwsCraig Alpha
Highland General Hospital Pacific Medical Center, Oakland, CA, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:659-68. 2006..Despite widespread use of this type of fixation, there is a paucity of large studies evaluating the infection rate and need for hardware removal...
- Skeletal stability after simultaneous mandibular angle resection and sagittal split ramus osteotomy for correction of mandible prognathismChul Hwan Kim
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dankook University, Dental College, Chunan, Korea
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:192-7. 2007..The purpose of this study is to prove whether simultaneous mandibular angle resection and BSSRO can influence the tendency of postoperative skeletal instability by means of shortening the pterygomasseteric sling...
- Short- and long-term skeletal relapse after mandibular advancement surgeryN Eggensperger
Department of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 35:36-42. 2006..No significant relationship between the amount of initial surgical advancement and skeletal relapse was found. Preoperative high mandibulo-nasal plane (ML-NL) angle appears to be associated with long-term skeletal relapse...
- An in vitro comparison of an adjustable bone fixation systemJoseph E Van Sickels
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Kentucky, College of Dentistry, D512 Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, KY 40536 0297, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1620-5. 2005..The purpose of this study was to biomechanically compare an adjustable plating system and several variations with an inverted-L pattern of 3 bicortical screws to fix a bilateral sagittal split osteotomy...
- The need for intermaxillary fixation in sagittal split osteotomy setbacks with bicortical screw fixationByung Ho Choi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Seoul, South Korea
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 100:292-5. 2005..The aim of this study was to decide whether use of bicortical screw fixation provides sufficient stability to dispense with intermaxillary fixation (IMF)...
- 'Double barrel' 2.0mm mini-plates to fix fractures of the neck of the mandibular condyleElio Hitoshi Shinohara
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Conjunto Hospitalar do Mandaqui SUS SP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:166. 2006
- Biodegradable fixation of mandibular fractures in children: stability and early resultsKaan C Yerit
University Hospital of Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 100:17-24. 2005..The aim of this study was to assess the safety and efficiency of biodegradable self-reinforced (SR-PLDLA) bone plates and screws in open reduction and internal fixation of mandible fractures in children...
- Enteric bacteria mandibular osteomyelitisPaolo Scolozzi
Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 99:e42-6. 2005..In one patient, abundant clinical evidence suggested a diagnosis of a chronic factitious disease, whereas in the second patient no obvious etiology was found...
- Changes in condylar long axis and skeletal stability after bilateral sagittal split ramus osteotomy with poly-L-lactic acid or titanium plate fixationK Ueki
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa 920 8641, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 34:627-34. 2005....
- [A trifocal fracture of the mandible]M Richter
Division de chirurgie réparatrice, Hopital Cantonal Universitaire, 24, Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneve 14, Suisse
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 106:38-52. 2005
- Frey's syndrome after condylar fracture: case reportCassio Edvard Sverzut
Department of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery and Periodontology, Faculty of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Braz Dent J 15:159-62. 2004..A review of the literature is provided along with mention of a simple test (Minor's test) that can help in the diagnosis of this syndrome...
- Use of resorbable plates and screws in pediatric facial fracturesBarry L Eppley
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:385-91. 2005..It enables realignment and stable positioning of rapidly healing fracture segments while obviating any future issues secondary to long-term metal retention...
- Can monocortical miniplates provide bony compression?. An experimental modelC J Kerawala
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, North Hampshire Hospital, Aldermaston Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG24 9NA, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 41:232-5. 2003....
- Spontaneous mandibular fracture in a partially edentulous patient: case reportPhilippe Libersa
Department of Dentistry, Abel Caumartin Centre, Regional University Hospital Centre, Lille, France
J Can Dent Assoc 69:428-30. 2003....
- Orthodontic-surgical treatment after posttraumatic bilateral condylectomy of the mandible in an adult patientEvaristo Belli
II Faculty of Medicine, S Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 14:55-62. 2003..Myotherapy and logopedic support minimized the risk of recurrence, improved reduction of muscular tension with the resolution of the lip incompetence, and allowed functional recovery of mandibular movements...
- Fixation of mandibular fractures with biodegradable plates and screwsKaan C Yerit
University Hospital of Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical School, University of Vienna, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 94:294-300. 2002..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the stability of biodegradable, self-reinforced poly-L-lactide plates and screws for the internal fixation of fractures of the human mandible...
- A 3-dimensional finite-element analysis investigating the biomechanical behavior of the mandible and plate osteosynthesis in cases of fractures of the condylar processArne Wagner
University Hospital of Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical School, University of Vienna, Austria
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 94:678-86. 2002..We sought to analyze such incongruencies with respect to the complex biomechanical behavior of the mandible...
- Does plate adaptation affect stability? A biomechanical comparison of locking and nonlocking platesRichard H Haug
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Kentucky, College of Dentistry, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:1319-26. 2002..0-mm monocortical superior border plates and 2.4-mm reconstruction plates secured at the inferior border intended to stabilize simulated mandibular angle fractures...
- Evaluation of osteotomy fixation changing the number, the extension and the location of the platesAlexandre Elias Trivellato
Oral and Maxillofacial Area, Piracicaba Dental School, State University of Campinas, UNICAMP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 44:377-81. 2006..The lowest values were with single plates secured close to the lower border...
- Postoperative mandibular stability after orthognathic surgery in patients with mandibular protrusion and mandibular deviationWenli Lai
Department of Orthodontics, West China College of Stomatology, Sichuan University, Chengdu
Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg 17:13-22. 2002..However, it also seems important to be aware of the possibility of horizontal mandibular relapse in patients with condylar bony change...
- Re: Devlin et al. Open reduction and internal fixation of fractured mandibular condyles by a retromandibular approach: surgical morbidity and informed consent. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002; 40: 23-25S Laverick
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:453-4. 2002
- A surgical technique using vertical ramus osteotomy without detaching lateral pterygoid muscle for high condylar fracturesKenichi Sasaki
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kameda General Hospital, Kamogawa, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:709-11. 2002
- Transoral 2.0-mm locking miniplate fixation of mandibular fractures plus 1 week of maxillomandibular fixation: a prospective studyAyman Chritah
Department of Dental and Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kings County Hospital Center SUNY Downstate Medical Center, NY 10128, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1737-41. 2005..In this study, a 2.0-mm locking miniplate (LMP)/screw system was assessed in the treatment of mandibular fractures with a 1-week period of maxillomandibular fixation (MMF)...
- Treatment of condyle fracture caused by mandibular angle ostectomyKun Hwang
Department of Plastic Surgery, Inha University Hospital, Inchon, Korea
J Craniofac Surg 13:709-12. 2002..Both cases were successfully restored and had good results. The authors believe the exercise protocols and algorithms they used may serve as a standard procedure of treatment in condylar fracture caused by angle ostectomy...
- Treatment of severe mandibular fractures using AO reconstruction platesPaolo Scolozzi
Division of Reconstructive Surgery, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Unit, Hopitaux Universitaires de Geneve, Geneve, Switzerland
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:458-61. 2003..The goal of this study was to retrospectively evaluate the use of 2.4-mm AO titanium reconstruction plates for mandibular fractures...
- Infections associated with locking reconstruction plates: a retrospective reviewDavid Kirkpatrick
College of Dentistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:462-6. 2003..In this study, we examined the incidence of infection with the use of a locking reconstruction bone plate/system...
- Computerized analysis of resorbable polymer plates and screws for the rigid fixation of mandibular angle fracturesTyler Cox
Graduate Student, Department of Mechanical Engineering, San Diego State University, La Mesa, CA 92182, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:481-7; discussion 487-8. 2003..This computer-based study used finite element analysis (FEA) to assess whether rigid fixation by resorbable polymer plates and screws can provide the required stiffness and strength for a typical mandibular angle fracture...
- Fixation of bimaxillary osteotomies with resorbable plates and screws: experience in 20 consecutive casesR C Edwards
University of Rochester School of Medicine, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Associates, NY, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 59:271-6. 2001..Differences exist in both intraoperative application and postoperative management of masticatory function. This is partially a US government work. There are no restrictions on its use...
- Management of mandibular interforaminal fractures using 3 dimensional locking and standard titanium miniplates - a comparative preliminary report of 10 casesManoj Kumar Jain
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, Hemavathi multispecialty hospital, India
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 40:e475-8. 2012....
- Treatment of oblique crown fractures in maxillary premolars using adhesive tooth fragment reattachment: 19 years of follow upJosé Antonio Brufato Ferraz
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Ribeirao Preto Dental School, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Dent Traumatol 27:455-9. 2011..Clinical and radiographic examination 19 years after trauma showed a good adaptation of the tooth fragment/composite resin restoration, good periodontal health, no signs of root resorption, and intact lamina dura...
- Recovery pattern of mandibular movement by active physical therapy after bilateral transoral vertical ramus osteotomyHwi Dong Jung
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Science Research Center, Yonsei University College of Dentistry, Seoul, Korea
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 70:e431-7. 2012..The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the effect of an active physical therapy (PT) protocol after transoral vertical ramus osteotomy and to investigate the rehabilitation patterns of mandibular movement...
- Maxillary stability after Le Fort I osteotomy with self-setting α-tricalcium phosphate and an absorbable plateK Ueki
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Division of Medicine, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering University of Yamanashi, 1110 Shimokato, Chuo shi, Yamanashi, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:597-603. 2013..Changes in cepahalometric parameters at time intervals (1, 3 and 12 months) between the groups were compared. Results showed that stability did not depend on the use or otherwise of Biopex(®)...
- Three-dimensional mandibular change after sagittal split ramus osteotomy with a semirigid sliding plate system for fixation of a mandibular setback surgeryMoon Ho Ghang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 115:157-66. 2013..The sliding plate was designed to adjust the spatial relationship between the proximal and distal segments during the postoperative period. This plate was used for mandibular setback surgery to minimize forward early relapse...
- Is healing outcome of 2 weeks intermaxillary fixation different from that of 4 to 6 weeks intermaxillary fixation in the treatment of mandibular fractures?Moshood F Adeyemi
Department of Surgery, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Nigeria
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 70:1896-902. 2012..This study was undertaken to compare the healing outcome of a short period (2 weeks) of intermaxillary fixation (IMF) with conventional (4-6 weeks) IMF in the management of fractures of the mandibular tooth-bearing area...
- Skeletal stability and morbidity with self-reinforced P (L/DL) LA resorbable osteosynthesis in bimaxillary orthognathic surgeryChristophe Moure
Department of Maxillo Facial Surgery, Amiens North Hospital, University of Picardie Jules Verne, Place Victor Pauchet, F 80054 Amiens cedex 01, France
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 40:55-60. 2012..We reported the skeletal stability and morbidity at 1 year after surgery...
- Mandibular angle fractures during third molar removal: a report of two casesC Ozçakir-Tomruk
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Aust Dent J 57:231-5. 2012..We present two cases of the treatment and follow-up of fracture of the angle region of the mandible during removal...
- Optimizing pediatric interdental fixation by use of a paramedian palatal fixation siteColton H McNichols
Department of Plastic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Craniofac Surg 23:605-7. 2012..It is believed that this method is superior to other techniques because it avoids injury to the deciduous tooth buds and allows for the maxillary wire to be seated in more structurally sound tissues...
- Open reduction and internal fixation of combined angle and body/symphysis fractures of the mandible: how much fixation is enough?Edward Ellis
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 71:726-33. 2013..To assess the internal fixation requirements for combined mandibular angle and contralateral body or symphysis fractures of the mandible...
- Closed versus open reduction of mandibular condylar fractures in adults: a meta-analysisMarcy L Nussbaum
Carolinas HealthCare System, Charlotte, NC, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:1087-92. 2008..It would be beneficial, therefore, to critically analyze past studies that have directly compared the 2 methods in an attempt to answer this question...
- Reconstruction of mandibular continuity defects with bone morphogenetic protein-2 (rhBMP-2)Alan S Herford
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 66:616-24. 2008..This study was instituted to observe the effect of rhBMP-2 in a collagen carrier without concomitant bone grafting material in the restoration of continuity critical-sized defects of the mandible...
- Endoscopically assisted management of mandibular condylar fracturesShahid R Aziz
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Dental School, 110 Bergen Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 17:71-4. 2009..EAORIF is a technique that should be included in the armamentarium of the maxillofacial trauma surgeon when treating mandibular condylar fractures...
- Orthognathic bimaxillary surgery in two patients with osteogenesis imperfecta and a review of the literatureA Rosen
Department of Dental Medicine, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Karolinska Institute, Huddinge, Sweden
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:866-73. 2011..The treatments were successful with follow up times of 5-6 years...
- Comparing the titanium arch bar with the bonded arch barHarold Daniel Baurmash
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:359-62. 2007
- Analysis of 40 cases of intraoral verticosagittal ramus osteotomies to treat dentofacial deformitiesSergio Monteiro Lima Júnior
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:1840-3. 2009..The aim of the present study was to report the experience of 40 patients who had undergone intraoral verticosagittal ramus osteotomy (IVSRO) to treat dentofacial deformities...
- Mandibular reconstruction using 2-step bone transport in an irradiated cancer patient with type 2 diabetes mellitusY Matsui
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Yokohama City University Graduate School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:1223-5. 2009..The results suggest that mandibular reconstruction using bone transport is possible after segmental osteotomy in irradiated cancer patients with DM, although a long treatment period is required...
- Rotational movement of the anterior maxillary segment by hybrid distractor in patients with cleft lip and palateTomonao Aikawa
The First Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 110:292-300. 2010..In this article, we showed MASDO using hybrid distracters (DynaForm System: Stryker Osteosymthesis, Leibinger Micro Implants, Kalamazoo, MI), which allow the advance of the distracted segment with rotational movement...
- Accuracy of maxillary positioning in bimaxillary surgeryW B Kretschmer
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Marienhospital, Stuttgart, Germany
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 47:446-9. 2009..51). These results suggest that the modified pin system for vertical control combined with interocclusal splints provides accurate vertical positioning of the anterior maxilla in orthognathic surgery...
- A prospective audit over a six month period of condylar fractures at Chris Hani Baragwanath HospitalEphraim Rikhotso
Division of Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of the Witwatersrand, Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, South Africa
SADJ 63:222-5, 228-9. 2008..To determine the frequency of occurrence, patterns, aetiology and outcome of treatment of mandibular condylar fractures at Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital...
- Nonvascularized bone grafts for segmental reconstruction of the mandible--a reappraisalJohannes T M van Gemert
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:1446-52. 2009..To evaluate the success rate and complications of segmental mandibular reconstructions with autogenous nonvascularized iliac crest bone grafts, and to refine treatment strategies...
- Comparison of torsional stability of 2 types of split crimpable surgical hooks with soldered brass surgical hooksShawn P O'Bannon
Tri Service Orthodontic Residency Program, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Tex, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 130:471-5. 2006..The purpose of this in-vitro study was to compare the torsional stability of split crimpable surgical hooks and soldered brass surgical hooks on a rectangular stabilizing archwire...
- Fractures of the growing mandibleGeorge M Kushner
Department of Surgical and Hospital Dentistry, School of Dentistry, The University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 17:81-91. 2009..It concludes with suggestions concerning long-term follow-up care in light of the mobility, insurance obstacles, and family dynamics facing the patient population...
- [Surgical management of mandibular condylar fractures in adults in France, 2005]O Trost
Service de chirurgie maxillofaciale et stomatologie, plastique, Esthétique et Réparatrice, chirurgie de la main, CHU de Dijon, 3, rue du Faubourg Raines, BP 1519, 21033 Dijon, France
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 108:183-8. 2007..The authors had for aim to present the latest trends in the surgical management of mandibular condylar fractures in France, in 2005...
- Evaluation of different miniplates in fixation of fractured human mandible with the finite element methodHasan Husnu Korkmaz
Civil Engineering Department, Engineering and Architecture Faculty, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:e1-13. 2007..The results obtained from this study offer the choice of a particular plate size, thickness, design, or configuration for application and thus provide information for clinical use...
- Midfacial changes through distraction osteogenesis using a rigid external distraction system with retention plates in cleft lip and palate patientsTakayoshi Daimaruya
Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Tohoku University School of Dentistry, Aoba ku, Sendai, Japan
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 68:1480-6. 2010..We compared 2 treatment methods in the management of maxillary hypoplasia: Le Fort I osteotomy and DO...
- Supplemental maxillomandibular fixation with miniplate osteosynthesis-required or not?Ish Kumar
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Government Dental College, University of Health Sciences, Rohtak, Haryana, India
Oral Maxillofac Surg 15:27-30. 2011..To compare outcomes of open reduction and internal fixation of mandible fractures followed by either immediate mobilization or 5 days of maxillomandibular fixation...
- Endoscopically assisted intraoral vertical ramus osteotomy and piezoelectric surgery in mandibular prognathismMassimo Robiony
Department of Maxillo Facial Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:2119-24. 2007
- Glenotemporal osteotomy and bone grafting in the management of chronic recurrent dislocation and hypermobility of the temporomandibular jointA M Medra
Department of Cranio Maxillo facial, Oral and Plastic Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Alexandria University, Egypt prof
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:119-22. 2008..Stable results were obtained and retained during long-term follow up of 1-8 years...
- Review of methods used in the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the maxillofacial regionPádraig O'Fearraigh
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Altnagelvin Area Hospital, Derry
J Ir Dent Assoc 56:32-7. 2010..This article reviews the literature on these modern reconstructive and rehabilitation techniques...
- Osteomyelitis after bilateral sagittal split osteotomy: case report and a review of the managementSalam Salman
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 111:442-8. 2011..A review of the management of osteomyelitis is included, with a discussion of implications for the reconstruction of the mandible after treatment for osteomyelitis...
- Maxillomandibular external skeletal fixation in five cats with caudal jaw traumaA P Moores
Anderson Sturgess Veterinary Specialists, Bunstead Barns, Poles Lane, Hursley, Winchester, Hampshire
J Small Anim Pract 52:38-41. 2011..Fixation was well tolerated and was maintained for 21 to 42 days. All cats were eating normally and had good jaw function at follow-up (mean 39 months, range 7 to 71 months)...
- Re: Shehata EAA, Medra AMM. Modified bimaxillary distraction osteogenesis: A technique to correct facial asymmetry. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006;45:471-7P Scolozzi
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 46:170-1. 2008
- Bilateral anterosuperior dislocation of intact mandibular condyles in the temporal fossaV Prabhakar
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dasmesh Institute of Research and Dental Sciences, Faridkot 151203, Punjab, India
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:640-3. 2011..This report reviews the literature on dislocations, suggests a nomenclature, possible causative mechanism and documents the importance of early management...
- Evaluation of force degradation characteristics of orthodontic latex elastics in vitro and in vivoTong Wang
Key Laboratory for Oral Biomedical Engineering of Ministry of Education, Department of Orthodontics, Hospital and School of Stomatology, Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei, China
Angle Orthod 77:688-93. 2007..To evaluate the characteristics of force degradation of latex elastics in clinical applications and in vitro studies...
- A novel versatile technique for achieving buccolingual intermaxillary fixationV R Kharkar
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Pravara Rural Dental College, Loni BK, Maharashtra 413736, India
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:543-4. 2011..This new technique seems to be a simple, efficient and rapid modality to achieve intermaxillary fixation...
- Oblique osteotomy and coronoidectomy in extreme prognathism of Apert syndromeKun Hwang
Department of Plastic Surgery, and daggerCenter for Advanced Medical Education by the BK21 Project, Inha University School of Medicine, Incheon, South Korea
J Craniofac Surg 21:555-6. 2010..It is predictable that there will be a bony impingement between the coronoid process and the subcondyle of the proximal segment before surgery, and so an oblique osteotomy and coronoidectomy are planned ahead through an external approach...
- Real-time orthognathic surgical simulation using a mandibular motion tracking systemKenji Fushima
Kanazawa Orthodontic Clinic, Kanazawa, Japan
Comput Aided Surg 12:91-104. 2007..Here, we outline the system and apply it to a demonstration case of orthognathic surgery...
- Evaluation of skeletal and surgical factors related to relapse of mandibular setback surgery using the bioabsorbable plateYoung Kyun Kim
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Sungnam, South Korea
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 37:63-8. 2009..This study was to evaluate the stability of the bioabsorbable plate used in the orthognathic surgery for patients with prognathic mandibles and to evaluate the relapse tendency after surgery and the factors affecting the relapse...
- Management of an unusual maxillary dentoalveolar fracture: a case reportA R Prabhakar
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Bapuji Dental College Hospital, Davangere, Karnataka, India
J Dent Child (Chic) 73:112-5. 2006..The fracture was reduced and stabilized using a custom-fabricated, open-cap acrylic splint with modified interdental wiring under general anesthesia...
- Retromandibular approach to the mandibular condyle: a clinical and cadaveric studyM Manisali
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, St Georges Hospital, Blackshaw Road, London SW17 0QT, UK
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:253-6. 2003..Branches of the facial nerve were encountered in 12 dissections (40%). The literature regarding facial nerve morbidity in relation to the management of condylar fractures is reviewed...
- Backward distraction osteogenesis of condylar segment in patient with mandibular ramus deficiency--report of a caseYoshiki Hamada
First Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dental Medicine, Tsurumi University, 2 1 3 Tsurumi, Tsurumi ku, Yokohama 230 8501, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 98:28-31. 2004..Findings of pre- and postoperative clinical and magnetic resonance imaging indicate that the effect of BDO on the temporomandibular joint was negligible...
- Skeletal and dento-alveolar stability after surgical-orthodontic treatment of anterior open bite: a retrospective studyK Swinnen
Department of Orthodontics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Orthod 23:547-57. 2001....
- A biomechanical evaluation of mandibular condyle fracture plating techniquesRichard H Haug
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Kentucky College of Dentistry, Lexington, KY 40536 0084, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:73-80; discussion 80-1. 2002..The purpose of this investigation was to evaluate the biomechanical behavior of various rigid internal fixation techniques for mandibular condylar process fractures...
- Transoral 2.0-mm miniplate fixation of mandibular fractures plus 2 weeks' maxillomandibular fixation: a prospective studyReza Bolourian
State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn Kings County Hospital Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:167-70. 2002..We conducted a study to assess the efficacy of intraoral treatment of mandibular fractures using a 2.0-mm miniplate and 2 weeks of maxillomandibular fixation (MMF)...
- Reduction of a chronic bilateral temporomandibular joint dislocation with intermaxillary fixation and botulinum toxin APeter Aquilina
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:272-3. 2004..He was found to have bilateral dislocations of the temporomandibular joints (TMJ) and was successfully treated with a combination of intermaxillary fixation (IMF) screws and botulinum toxin A...
- Iatrogenic injury caused by intermaxillary fixation screwsArun Majumdar
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:84. 2002
- Reducing the Disproportionate Burden of Orofacial InjuryVivek Shetty; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Integrins and Orthodontic Tooth MovementCalogero Dolce; Fiscal Year: 2002..Aim 2 experiments will assess the rate and extent of alveolar bone turnover using histomorphometric means. These data may demonstrate the usefulness of the RGD peptide in modulating both bone formation and resorption during OTM. ..
- The Oral & Dental Consequences of Methamphetamine UseVivek Shetty; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Refinement and Validation of a Portable, Salivary Biosensor of Psychosocial StresVivek Shetty; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Semi-Parametric Survival Methods in Dental ResearchSung Kiang Chuang; Fiscal Year: 2006..The specific analytic issues addressed are generalizable to patient-oriented dental research as many studies using multiple, correlated observations per patient, i.e. probing depths, tooth loss. ..
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYWilliam Proffit; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Outcomes of Furlow&Conventional Palatoplasty ProceduresRobert Havlik; Fiscal Year: 2002..In addition, there have been no studies on the palatal architecture parameters and their influence upon oronasal fistulae and velopharyngeal competence that have been published. ..
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYWilliam Proffit; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- INFLUENCES ON STABILITY FOLLOWING ORTHOGNATHIC SURGERYWilliam Proffit; Fiscal Year: 1980..Elucidation of these relationships will provide insight into soft tissue function as a factor in the etiology of dentofacial deformity as well as a determinant of post-treatment stability...