Genomes and Genes
Summary: A surgical procedure used in treatment of glaucoma in which an opening is created through which aqueous fluid may pass from the anterior chamber into a sac created beneath the conjunctiva, thus lowering the pressure within the eye. (Hoffman, Pocket Glossary of Ophthalmologic Terminology, 1989)
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Prolonged antiscarring effects of ilomastat and MMC after experimental glaucoma filtration surgeryTina T L Wong
Ocular Repair and Regeneration Biology Unit, Institute of Ophthalmology, London, UK
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:2018-22. 2005..To determine the long-term antiscarring effect of ilomastat treatment after experimental glaucoma filtration surgery (GFS)...
- The critical role of the conjunctiva in glaucoma filtration surgeryDao Yi Yu
Centre for Ophthalmology and Visual Science, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Prog Retin Eye Res 28:303-28. 2009....
- Comparison of surgical outcomes between canaloplasty and trabeculectomy at 12 months' follow-upRamesh S Ayyala
Department of Ophthalmology, Tulane School of Medicine, Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Ophthalmology 118:2427-33. 2011..To compare operative outcomes of patients after canaloplasty and trabeculectomy through 12 months' follow-up...
- Intracorneal hematoma after canaloplasty in glaucomaMaurizio Gismondi
Department of Ophthalmology, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Santa Maria della Misericordia, Udine, Italy
Cornea 30:718-9. 2011..To report a case of an intracorneal hematoma after canaloplasty...
- Canaloplasty: Three-year results of circumferential viscodilation and tensioning of Schlemm canal using a microcatheter to treat open-angle glaucomaRichard A Lewis
Grutzmacher and Lewis, Sacramento, California 95815, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 37:682-90. 2011..To report 3-year results of the safety and efficacy of canaloplasty, a procedure involving circumferential viscodilation and tensioning of the inner wall of Schlemm canal to treat open-angle glaucoma...
- Microarray analysis of the failure of filtering blebs in a rat model of glaucoma filtering surgeryDouglas W Esson
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Florida, 1600 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32610 0284, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:4450-62. 2004..To generate data concerning changes in levels of protein expression associated with wound healing and bleb failure in a rat model of glaucoma filtration surgery (GFS), and to identify factors that may play a role in this process...
- Intracorneal hematoma with descemet membrane detachment after viscocanalostomyHiroko Fujimoto
Nagata Eye Clinic, Nara, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 137:195-6. 2004..To describe a case of intracorneal hematoma with Descemet membrane detachment after viscocanalostomy...
- Five year results of viscocanalostomyT Shaarawy
Hopital Ophtalmique Jules Gonin, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
Br J Ophthalmol 87:441-5. 2003..To prospectively study the success rate and complications of viscocanalostomy, a non-penetrating glaucoma surgery...
- Ex-PRESS mini glaucoma shunt: surgical technique and review of clinical experienceAndrew M Hendrick
Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute, University of Colorado Denver, 1675 North Ursula Street, Mail Stop F731, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Expert Rev Med Devices 5:673-7. 2008..We summarize pertinent literature and expand on the future role of this device in glaucoma surgery...
- Morphologic classification of filtering blebs after glaucoma filtration surgery: the Indiana Bleb Appearance Grading ScaleLouis B Cantor
Department of Ophthalmology, Indiana University School of Medicine, 702 Rotary Circle, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Glaucoma 12:266-71. 2003..The purpose of this classification system is to provide a uniform and objective assessment of bleb appearance and establish a framework system through which outcomes of filtration surgery may be better correlated to clinical morphology...
- Seven-year follow-up of combined cataract extraction and viscocanalostomyManijeh S Wishart
Department of Ophthalmology, Warrington Hospital, North Cheshire NHS Trust, Warrington, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:2043-9. 2006..To investigate the long-term success and complications of phacoemulsification combined with viscocanalostomy (phacoviscocanalostomy) in eyes with coexisting cataract and medically uncontrolled glaucoma...
- Controlled delivery of 5-chlorouracil using poly(ortho esters) in filtering surgery for glaucomaMarianne Berdugo Polak
Inserm UMRS 872 Team 17, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Paris, France
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:2993-3003. 2008..To evaluate the antimitotic and toxic effects of 5-chlorouracil (5-CU) and 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and study their potential to delay filtering bleb closure in the rabbit eye when released by poly(ortho esters) (POE)...
- Interobserver variability of the Würzburg bleb classification scoreThomas Klink
Department of Ophthalmology, Julius Maximilian University, Wurzburg, Germany
Ophthalmologica 222:408-13. 2008..The Würzburg bleb classification score (WBCS) serves to assess filtering blebs in a standardized fashion. The purpose of this prospective masked agreement study was to evaluate the WBCS interobserver variability...
- Results of phacoemulsification in eyes with preexisting glaucoma filtersBradford J Shingleton
Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston, Center for Eye Research and Education, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:1093-6. 2003..To evaluate the intraocular pressure (IOP), best corrected visual acuity (BCVA), and glaucoma medication requirements in patients having phacoemulsification after preexisting glaucoma filters...
- Viscocanalostomy and deep sclerectomy for the surgical treatment of glaucoma: a longterm follow-upPeter K Wishart
Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 81:343-8. 2003..To study the outcome of viscocanalostomy (VC) and deep sclerectomy (DS) for the surgical management of medically uncontrolled glaucoma...
- Postoperative 5-fluorouracil versus intraoperative mitomycin C in high-risk glaucoma filtering surgery: extended follow upCengiz Akarsu
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Kirikkale, Kirikkale, Turkey
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 31:199-205. 2003..To compare the long-term efficacy and safety of postoperative subconjunctival 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) injections with that of intraoperative mitomycin C (MMC) in eyes at high risk for failure of trabeculectomy...
- Goniotomy ab interno "a glaucoma filtering surgery" using the Fugo Plasma BladeDharmendra Singh
Department of Ophthalmology, S N Medical College, Agra, India
Ann Ophthalmol (Skokie) 38:213-7. 2006..Goniotomy ab interno using the Fugo Blade was found to be a safe alternative to conventional trabeculectomy, which safely and effectively reduced intraocular pressure in more than 80% of cases...
- Use of trypan blue to confirm the patency of filtering surgeryShishir Agrawal
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:235-7. 2005
- SB-431542 inhibition of scar formation after filtration surgery and its potential mechanismYi qin Xiao
Department of Ophthalmology, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:1698-706. 2009..To explore the inhibitive effect of SB-431542 (an ALK5 inhibitor) on scar formation after glaucoma surgery and to identify the potential pharmacologic target(s)...
- Results of viscocanalostomy for primary open-angle glaucomaG Sunaric-Megevand
Division of Ophthalmology, University Hospital Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Ophthalmol 132:221-8. 2001..This study was conducted to determine the surgical outcome of this procedure after a postoperative observation period of 12 to 36 months...
- Expulsive hemorrhage after glaucoma filtering surgeryNada Jiraskova
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 153:221-4. 2009To evaluate the incidence, patient risk factors, diagnosis and management of suprachoroidal hemorrhage (SCH) after glaucoma filtering surgery.
- Long-term results of viscocanalostomy in pseudoexfoliative and primary open angle glaucomaPeter K Wishart
St Paul s Eye Unit, Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 36:148-55. 2008..To document the outcome of viscocanalostomy (VC) alone or combined with phacoemulsification (phaco-VC) in eyes with pseudoexfoliation glaucoma (PEXG) and primary open angle glaucoma (POAG)...
- Bleb needling in encapsulated filtering blebs: evaluation by optical coherence tomographyR Guthoff
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Wuerzburg, Wuerzburg, Germany
Ophthalmologica 224:204-8. 2010..To evaluate the role of anterior segment optical coherence tomography (OCT) in describing the morphology and outcome of encapsulated filtering blebs after bleb needling...
- Descemet membrane detachment after nonpenetrating filtering surgeryE Ravinet
Hopital Jules Gonin, Lausanne, Switzerland and Hôpital de la Ville, La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland
J Glaucoma 11:244-52. 2002To make surgeons performing nonpenetrating filtering surgery aware of an unusual complication namely Descemet membrane detachment.
- Intracorneal hematoma after canaloplasty and clear cornea phacoemulsification: surgical managementFlorentina Joyce Freiberg
University Wurzburg, Eye Hospital, Wurzburg, Germany
Eur J Ophthalmol 22:823-5. 2012..This is a case report of intracorneal hematoma after canaloplasty and clear cornea phacoemulsification...
- Histological biocompatibility of a stainless steel miniature glaucoma drainage device in humans: a case reportFabio De Feo
Centro di Ricerca Clinica e Laboratorio per il Glaucoma e la Cornea, Di N O G, Clinica Oculistica, University of Genova, Italy
Toxicol Pathol 37:512-6. 2009..No inflammatory cells occurred within the fibrous capsule. No material or blockage was noted within the lumen. Our results support the biological inertness of the device...
- [Postoperative complications and management of filtration surgery]C P Jonescu-Cuypers
Klinik fur Augenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum des Saarlandes, Kirrberger Strasse, 66421 Homburg Saar
Ophthalmologe 106:1029-39. 2009..Close patient monitoring substantially increases long-term success rates...
- Three-year canaloplasty outcomes for the treatment of open-angle glaucoma: European study resultsHolger Bull
Augen Tagesklinik Gross Pankow, Pankeweg 15, 16928, Gross Pankow, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 249:1537-45. 2011..To report 3-year results investigating the safety and efficacy of canaloplasty, a procedure involving circumferential viscodilation of Schlemm's canal and tensioning of the inner canal wall to treat open-angle glaucoma...
- Change in outflow pathway of porcine eyes in vitro by nonpenetrating filtering surgeryWen Xu
Eye Center, The 2nd Affiliated Hospital, Medical School, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Can J Ophthalmol 45:632-6. 2010To study the change in different outflow pathways of porcine eyes in vitro by nonpenetrating filtering surgery.
- Intrableb triamcinolone acetonide injection after bleb-forming filtration surgery (trabeculectomy, phacotrabeculectomy, and trabeculectomy revision by needling): a pilot studyC C Y Tham
Eye (Lond) 20:1484-6. 2006
- Novel antisense oligonucleotides targeting TGF-beta inhibit in vivo scarring and improve surgical outcomeM F Cordeiro
Department of Pathology and Glaucoma, London, UK
Gene Ther 10:59-71. 2003..Furthermore, although we have shown this agent to be useful in the eye, it could have widespread applications anywhere in the body where the wound-healing response requires modulation...
- Adenoviral p53 gene transfer inhibits human Tenon's capsule fibroblast proliferationK T M Johnson
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde, Abteilung für Erkrankungen des vorderen Augenabschnitts, Hufelandstrasse 55, D 45147 Essen, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 89:508-12. 2005..The authors assume that the activation of p53 is one of the cellular triggers. Their aim was to analyse the effect of p53 overexpression on hTf and to determine which pathways are involved...
- Nonpenetrating glaucoma surgery: a critical evaluationUsman Sarodia
Glaucoma Service, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 18:152-8. 2007..This article critically evaluates recently published literature relating to nonpenetrating glaucoma surgery...
- Matrix metalloproteinase inhibition modulates postoperative scarring after experimental glaucoma filtration surgeryTina T L Wong
Wound Healing Research Unit, Department of Pathology, Institute of Ophthalmology, London, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:1097-103. 2003..To determine whether postoperative application of a broad-spectrum matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) inhibitor, GM6001 (ilomastat), reduces scarring after glaucoma filtration surgery...
- Evaluation of anti-TGF-beta2 antibody as a new postoperative anti-scarring agent in glaucoma surgeryAnna L Mead
Wound Healing Unit, Institute of Ophthalmology, London, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:3394-401. 2003....
- Decorin modulates wound healing in experimental glaucoma filtration surgery: a pilot studySalvatore Grisanti
Department of Ophthalmology, Eberhard Karls University Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:191-6. 2005..To analyze the effect of perioperative decorin in an experimental setting of glaucoma filtration surgery...
- Canaloplasty: circumferential viscodilation and tensioning of Schlemm's canal using a flexible microcatheter for the treatment of open-angle glaucoma in adults: interim clinical study analysisRichard A Lewis
Augen Tagesklinik Gross Pankow, Gross Pankow, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 33:1217-26. 2007..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of circumferential viscodilation and tensioning of the inner wall of Schlemm's canal in a new surgical procedure for the treatment of open-angle glaucoma (OAG)...
- Modulation of wound healing after glaucoma surgeryP T Khaw
Wound Healing Research Unit, Department of Pathology, Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, England
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 12:143-8. 2001..The authors review the changes in how to use antimetabolites to improve safety, and many of the exciting new areas of progress, including growth factor neutralization and future molecular therapies to control wound healing...
- Modulation of wound healing during and after glaucoma surgeryStelios Georgoulas
Ocular Repair and Regeneration Biology Research Unit, National Institute for Health Research Biomedical Research Centre, Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Prog Brain Res 173:237-54. 2008..Many promising new agents are being evaluated clinically and in vitro. In this chapter, we will discuss our current understanding of the wound healing process after glaucoma surgery and promising new treatment modalities...
- Filtering bleb function after clear cornea phacoemulsification: a prospective studyJ Klink
University Eye Hospital, Josef Schneider Strasse 11, Wuerzburg 97080, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 89:597-601. 2005To evaluate the influence of clear cornea phacoemulsification on filtering bleb morphology, function, and intraocular pressure (IOP) in glaucomatous eyes with previously successful filtering surgery.
- Blebitis and endophthalmitis after glaucoma filtering surgeryNavin Prasad
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Department of Ophthalmology, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Int Ophthalmol Clin 47:85-97. 2007
- Efficacy and tolerability of nonpenetrating filtering surgery with and without implant in treatment of open angle glaucoma: a quantitative evaluation of the evidenceJin Wei Cheng
Department of Ophthalmology, Shanghai Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, China
J Glaucoma 18:233-7. 2009To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of nonpenetrating filtering surgery augmented with implant (NPFSI) compared with nonpenetrating filtering surgery without implant (NPFS) in the treatment of patients with open angle glaucoma.
- Efficacy and tolerability of nonpenetrating glaucoma surgery augmented with mitomycin C in treatment of open-angle glaucoma: a meta-analysisJin Wei Cheng
Department of Ophthalmology, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
Can J Ophthalmol 44:76-82. 2009..To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of nonpenetrating glaucoma surgery (NPGS) augmented with mitomycin C (MMC) compared with trabeculectomy (TE) plus MMC in the treatment of patients with open-angle glaucoma...
- Expression of connective tissue growth factor after glaucoma filtration surgery in a rabbit modelDouglas W Esson
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0284, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:485-91. 2004..To gain further understanding of the role of CTGF in the scar formation that occurs after glaucoma filtering surgery (GFS), experiments were performed in a rabbit model.
- Transient, profound cataract associated with intracameral 5-fluorouracilPeter E Libre
Department of Ophthalmology, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 135:101-2. 2003..To report a transient cataract after bleb needling and subconjunctival injection of 5-fluorouracil...
- [Deep sclerectomy using a hyaluronate implant versus trabeculectomy. A comparison of two glaucoma operations using mitomycin C]O Schwenn
Augenklinik der Johannes Gutenberg Universität, Mainz
Ophthalmologe 101:696-704. 2004..It was investigated whether a very low target pressure could be achieved by modification of deep sclerectomy without losing the advantages of non penetrating surgery in comparison to conventional filtration surgery...
- Efficacy of non-penetrating trabecular surgery for open angle glaucoma: a meta-analysisJin Wei Cheng
Department of Ophthalmology, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200003, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 117:1006-10. 2004..Non-penetrating trabecular surgery is a new filtrating surgery without opening in ternal trabecular structures. This study was to estimate the overall efficacy of non-penetrating trabecular surgery for open angle glaucoma...
- Nonpenetrating glaucoma surgeryEfstratios Mendrinos
Department of Ophthalmology, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Surv Ophthalmol 53:592-630. 2008..This article reviews the nonpenetrating surgical techniques, mechanisms of action, indications, contraindications, complications, and results...
- A randomised, prospective study comparing trabeculectomy with viscocanalostomy with adjunctive antimetabolite usage for the management of open angle glaucoma uncontrolled by medical therapyD P S O'Brart
Department of Ophthalmology, St Thomas s Hospital, London SE1 7EH, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 88:1012-7. 2004..To compare trabeculectomy with viscocanalostomy augmented with adjunctive antimetabolite use for the control of intraocular pressure (IOP) in open angle glaucoma (OAG)...
- T-Flux implant versus Healon GV in deep sclerectomyE Ravinet
Hopital Ophtalmique Jules Gonin, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Glaucoma 13:46-50. 2004..To compare the efficacy and safety of T-Flux implant versus Healon GV in deep sclerectomy...
- Survival analysis for success of Molteno tube implantsD C Broadway
Department of Ophthalmology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Br J Ophthalmol 85:689-95. 2001..To apply survival analysis in assessing the long term outcome of Molteno tube implantation and to identify risk factors for failure...
- A thin honeycomb-patterned film as an adhesion barrier in an animal model of glaucoma filtration surgeryTetsuhiko Okuda
Department of Ophthalmology, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Japan
J Glaucoma 18:220-6. 2009..To evaluate the effectiveness and safety of a thin honeycomb-patterned biodegradable film for glaucoma filtration surgery in rabbits...
- Primary viscocanalostomy versus trabeculectomy for primary open-angle glaucoma: three-year prospective randomized clinical trialIlgaz Sagdic Yalvac
Department of Ophthalmology, Ankara Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:2050-7. 2004..To compare the efficacy and safety of viscocanalostomy and trabeculectomy in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG)...
- Intravitreal bevacizumab for filtering surgeryJost B Jonas
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Ophthalmic Res 39:121-2. 2007It was the aim of this study to report on the intravitreal use of bevacizumab as antiproliferative agent in combination with filtering surgery.
- Wound healing modulation in glaucoma filtering surgerySean Paul A Atreides
Dean A McGee Eye Institute, 608 Stanton L Young Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Int Ophthalmol Clin 44:61-106. 2004
- Alpha-tocopherol derivatives in an experimental model of filtering surgeryI Pinilla
Department of Ophthalmology, Miguel Servet Hospital, Zaragoza, Spain
Ophthalmic Res 31:440-5. 1999To evaluate the efficiency and reliability of alpha-tocopherol in an experimental model of glaucoma filtering surgery.
- Chymase and angiotensin converting enzyme activities in a hamster model of glaucoma filtering surgeryHitoshi Sakaguchi
Department of Ophthalmology, Osaka Medical College, Osaka, Japan
Curr Eye Res 24:325-31. 2002..In this work, we created sclerocorneal wounds in hamster eyes and measured the levels of ACE and chymase activities in the eye during the wound healing process...
- Role of transforming growth factor beta in conjunctival scarringM Francesca Cordeiro
Department of Pathology, Moorfields Eye Hospital and Institute of Ophthalmology, Bath Street, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Clin Sci (Lond) 104:181-7. 2003..This review examines the role of transforming growth factor beta in conjunctival scarring and discusses promising new ways of modifying its activity...
- Photodynamic modulation of wound healing in glaucoma filtration surgeryJ F Jordan
University Eye Hospital, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 87:870-5. 2003..BCECF-AM was used as the photosensitising substance. The clinical safety and tolerability of BCECF-AM, and its efficacy in controlling postoperative intraocular pressure (IOP) were assessed...
- A new model of glaucoma filtering surgery in the ratM B Sherwood
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0284, USA
J Glaucoma 13:407-12. 2004The most common reason for long-term failure of glaucoma filtering surgery (GFS) is scarring of the external filtering "bleb" tissues...
- [Non penetrating filtering surgery, evolution and results]P Hamard
Service III, C H N O des Quinze Vingts, 28 rue de Charenton Paris, France
J Fr Ophtalmol 25:527-36. 2002..This article reviews the current nonpenetrating surgical procedure techniques, their mechanism of action, and their outcome...
- Inhibition of cell proliferation by mitomycin C incorporated into P(HEMA) hydrogelsDiane A Blake
Department of Biochemistry, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
J Glaucoma 15:291-8. 2006..This preliminary study examined the efficacy of a slow release form of MMC for its ability to inhibit cell proliferation in vitro...
- [Postoperative care after glaucoma filtration surgery]T Klink
Universitäts Augenklinik Würzburg, Julius Maximilians Universitat Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 11, 97080 Wurzburg
Ophthalmologe 103:815-23; quiz 824-5. 2006....
- Alpha-tocopherol derivatives and wound healing in an experimental model of filtering surgeryJ M Larrosa
Department of Ophthalmology, Miguel Servet Hospital, Zaragoza, Spain
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers 31:131-5. 2000To describe the effect of alpha-tocopherol derivatives (acetate and acid-succinate) on the histopathological characteristics of the surgical fistula in an experimental model of filtering surgery.
- 2002 survey of the American Glaucoma Society: practice preferences for glaucoma surgery and antifibrotic useAnand B Joshi
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33143, USA
J Glaucoma 14:172-4. 2005..To determine the preference of members of the American Glaucoma Society for the use of antifibrotic agents (mitomycin C or 5-fluorouracil or both) and glaucoma drainage devices in ten clinical settings...
- A sequential, multiple-treatment, targeted approach to reduce wound healing and failure of glaucoma filtration surgery in a rabbit model (an American Ophthalmological Society thesis)Mark Brian Sherwood
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 104:478-92. 2006..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the concept of targeting mediators of the scarring process at multiple points across the course of bleb failure, in order to prolong bleb survival...
- Beyond Mitomycin: TGF-beta and wound healingM Francesca Cordeiro
Department of Pathology, Institute of Ophthalmology and Moorfields Eye Hospital, Bath Street, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Prog Retin Eye Res 21:75-89. 2002..As TGF-beta is such a potent stimulant of scarring, this review examines its biology and role in ocular wound healing and repair, and discusses promising new approaches to modifying its activity...
- Cataract after glaucoma filtration surgeryCamille Hylton
Wilmer Eye Institute, School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 135:231-2. 2003..We reviewed the evidence regarding cataract incidence and progression after glaucoma surgery...
- Cyclosporin as an adjunct to glaucoma filtration surgeryFrank A Lattanzio
Thomas R Lee Center for Ocular Pharmacology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia 23501, USA
J Glaucoma 14:441-7. 2005..This study examined whether topical cyclosporin (CsA) prolongs bleb survival after glaucoma filtration surgery...
- Outcome of cataract extraction and posterior chamber intraocular lens implantation following glaucoma filtration surgeryA K Mandal
VST Centre for Glaucoma Care, LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Eye (Lond) 19:1000-8. 2005To evaluate the outcome of cataract extraction (CE) after glaucoma filtering surgery (GFS).
- Escalation of glaucoma therapy after penetrating keratoplastyMansour Al-Mohaimeed
Department of Ophthalmology, King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Ophthalmology 114:2281-6. 2007..To determine the prevalence and risk factors for escalation of glaucoma therapy after penetrating keratoplasty (PK) and its impact on graft survival and visual outcome...
- What do glaucoma specialists know about their patients?Thomas S Dietlein
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, 50931 Cologne, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 244:859-62. 2006..The aim of our prospective study was to compare the actual responses of glaucoma patients concerning various issues related to their disease and the responses the glaucoma doctors expected their patients to give...
- Donor scleral patch for treating hypotony due to leaking and/or overfiltering blebsNoga Harizman
The Sam Rothberg Glaucoma Center, Goldschleger Eye Institute, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer Hospital, Israel
J Glaucoma 14:492-6. 2005..The suturing technique ensures tight adaptation of the scleral patch over the leaky region, and allows better-controlled aqueous flow with loose suturing of the posterior edge of the scleral patch...
- Determinants of bleb morphology in minimally invasive, clear-cornea micropenetrating glaucoma surgery with mitomycin CSvend Vedel Kessing
Glaucoma Clinic, Eye Department, Copenhagen University Hospital, Rigshospitalet, Denmark
J Glaucoma 15:84-90. 2006..This is related to a higher incidence of avascular, thin, cystic, translucent blebs, which may be caused by a toxic effect on conjunctival tissue. An MMC dose-response study was carried out focusing on bleb morphology and function...
- [The outcome of phacoemulsification in eyes after filtering glaucoma surgery]T Gracner
Augenabteilung, Universitätskrankenhaus Maribor, Maribor, Slowenien
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 222:332-6. 2005..Our aim was to evaluate the outcome of phacoemulsification in eyes after filtering glaucoma surgery...
- Baerveldt glaucoma implant in paediatric patientsK A van Overdam
The Rotterdam Eye Hospital, Schiedamse Vest 180, 3011 BH Rotterdam, Netherlands
Br J Ophthalmol 90:328-32. 2006..To evaluate the Baerveldt glaucoma implant (BGI) in paediatric glaucoma treatment...
- Outflow mechanisms after deep sclerectomy with two different designs of collagen implant in an animal modelChristophe Nguyen
Jules Gonin Eye Hospital, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 244:1659-67. 2006..The ability to promote drainage vessels, outflow mechanisms, success rates, and biodegradability, were studied prospectively in an animal model...
- Results of combined phacoemulsification and viscocanalostomy in patients with cataract and pseudoexfoliative glaucomaK M Hassan
Magrabi Eye Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Eur J Ophthalmol 18:212-9. 2008..Although phacotrabeculectomy is an effective procedure, it combines the risks of phacoemulsification and trabeculectomy. This study evaluates phacoviscocanalostomy to manage eyes with PEXG and cataract...
- [Antihypertensive effect of surgical expansion of the scleral ring in the projection of the ciliary body]A A Antonov
Vestn Oftalmol 123:55-7. 2007
- Exposure of Ex-PRESS Miniature Glaucoma Devices: case series and technique for tube shunt removalJoshua D Stein
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Glaucoma 16:704-6. 2007..To report a series of cases involving Ex-PRESS Miniature Glaucoma Device exposure and discuss the surgical techniques we used to remove the shunts...
- Novel micromachined valved glaucoma drainage devicesKouhyar Tavakolian
Comput and Integrative Bioeng Res, Simon Fraser Univ, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:6364-9. 2006..These devices work based on the buckling of fluid channel connected to the anterior chamber of the eye. The first proposed valve is fully mechanical while the second proposed device is magnetically driven...
- Aqueous drainage device surgery in refractory pediatric glaucomas: I. Long-term outcomesErin O'Malley Schotthoefer
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J AAPOS 12:33-9. 2008..To determine the long-term outcomes and complications of aqueous drainage device surgery in children with congenital and aphakic glaucoma...
- Surgical revision of failed filtration surgery with mitomycin C augmentationNitin Anand
Department of Ophthalmology, Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Trust, Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, Huddersfield HD3 3EA
J Glaucoma 16:456-61. 2007..The aim of the study was to assess the outcomes of surgical revision with reopening of the scleral flap in eyes with failed glaucoma surgery and adjunctive mitomycin C (MMC)...
- Seven year follow-up of combined cataract extraction and viscocanalostomyWade Faulkner
J Cataract Refract Surg 33:940-1; author reply 941. 2007
- Utilization of various glaucoma surgeries and procedures in Medicare beneficiaries from 1995 to 2004Pradeep Y Ramulu
Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Ophthalmology 114:2265-70. 2007..To observe how the treatment of glaucoma has changed over the last decade...
- A comparison of the polypropylene plate Ahmed glaucoma valve to the silicone plate Ahmed glaucoma flexible valveD M Hinkle
Department of Ophthalmology, Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112 2699, USA
Eur J Ophthalmol 17:696-701. 2007..To compare surgical outcomes following implantation of the polypropylene plate Ahmed glaucoma valve (AGV) (S-2) and the newer silicone plate AGV (FP-7) with minimum 12 months follow-up in patients with intractable glaucoma...
- Aqueous drainage device surgery in refractory pediatric glaucoma: II. Ocular motility consequencesErin O'Malley Schotthoefer
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J AAPOS 12:40-5. 2008..To determine the prevalence of complications relating to ocular motility and alignment in children with refractory congenital and aphakic glaucoma treated with aqueous drainage device surgery...
- Considerations in developing model-based economic evaluations of glaucoma treatmentRikard Althin
Pfizer Global Pharmaceuticals, Sandwich, UK
J Glaucoma 15:541-7. 2006..To facilitate future glaucoma model development and to provide guidance for decision-makers evaluating them, we provide an overview of an innovative glaucoma model and highlight important modeling considerations...
- [Childhood glaucoma associated with Sturge-Weber syndrome --the efficacy of cyclofotocoagulation and other therapeutic methods]Beata Kocyła-Karczmarewicz
Kliniki Okulistyki Instytutu Pomnik, Centrum Zdrowia Dziecka w Warszawie
Klin Oczna 108:180-3. 2006..Sturge-Weber syndrome is a rare congenital neurooculocutaneous disorder. Ocular involvement can include glaucoma and vascular malformations of the conjunctiva, episclera, choroid and retina...
- Viscocanalostomy versus trabeculotomy ab externo in primary congenital glaucoma: 1-year follow-up of a prospective controlled pilot studyB N Noureddin
Department of Ophthalmology, American University of Beirut, Riad El Solh, Beirut, Lebanon
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1281-5. 2006..To study the effectiveness of viscocanalostomy in patients with primary congenital glaucoma of the isolated trabecular dysgenesis category and compare it with trabeculotomy ab externo...
- Long-term outcome of pediatric aphakic glaucomaRahul Bhola
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa 52246, USA
J AAPOS 10:243-8. 2006..To determine the long-term outcome in pediatric patients with aphakic glaucoma...
- Rescue of failed filtering blebs with ab interno trephinationWisam A Shihadeh
Department of Ophthalmology, The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York, New York 10003, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:918-22. 2006..Complications were few. We believe that ab interno trephination is an excellent option for rescuing selected failed filtering blebs...
- Fluocinolone acetonide implant (Retisert) for noninfectious posterior uveitis: thirty-four-week results of a multicenter randomized clinical studyGlenn J Jaffe
Duke University Eye Center, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Ophthalmology 113:1020-7. 2006..To report the interim 34-week safety and efficacy results of a 3-year study to evaluate an investigational intravitreal fluocinolone acetonide (FA) implant in patients with noninfectious posterior uveitis...
- [Problems of modern surgery for glaucoma]Iu E Batmanov
Vestn Oftalmol 124:53-6. 2008
- Management of glaucoma drainage implant tube kink and obstruction with Pars Plana ClipPeter A Netland
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 36:167-8. 2005..A case of obstruction of an Ahmed glaucoma valve tube after pars plana insertion due to kinking of the tube was treated with a Pars Plana Clip (New World Medical, Rancho Cucamonga, CA)...
- Whither the blade?Mark J Walland
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 32:1-2. 2004
- Prospective survey of adverse reactions to topical antiglaucoma medications in a hospital populationR Bhatt
Wolverhampton and Midland Counties Eye Infirmary, Wolverhampton WV3 9QR, UK
Eye (Lond) 19:392-5. 2005..To identify the relative incidence and profile of adverse drug reaction (ADR) to various topical ocular hypotensives in a hospital setting...
- Postoperative subconjunctival mitomycin-C injection after non-penetrating glaucoma surgeryMichele Iester
Hospital Ophtalmique Jules Gonin, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 18:307-12. 2002..To evaluate subconjunctival mitomycin C (MMC) injection efficacy and safety in patients with failing glaucoma non-penetrating filtering blebs...
- Does the site of filtration influence the medium to long term intraocular pressure control following microtrabeculectomy in low risk eyes?A K Negi
Department of Ophthalmology, Eye and ENT Centre, University Hospital, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 88:1008-11. 2004..To evaluate the influence of varying surgical site on the medium to long term intraocular pressure (IOP) control in patients undergoing unenhanced small flap trabeculectomy (microtrabeculectomy) in eyes at low risk of failure...
- Clinical experience of e-PTFE membrane implant surgery for refractory glaucomaC Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University, Taejon, South Korea
Br J Ophthalmol 87:63-70. 2003..To evaluate the clinical efficacy of membrane tube implant made of expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (e-PTFE, Gore-Tex) membrane and silicone tube in treating refractory glaucoma...
- Topical application of autologous serum for the treatment of late-onset aqueous oozing or point-leak through filtering blebH Matsuo
1Department of Ophthalmology, University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Medicine, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Eye (Lond) 19:23-8. 2005..To evaluate the efficacy of topical autologous serum application to stop aqueous oozing or point-leak through filtering bleb after trabeculectomy...
- EARLY DETECTION OF GLAUCOMA DAMAGEHenry Jampel; Fiscal Year: 2004..This assessment of the RTA and NFA will help to establish their utility as outcome measures for clinical management of glaucoma, epidemiological research, and clinical trials. ..
- Sustained Drug Release for AntifibrosisWeiliam Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009..6-10 The goal of filtering surgery for glaucoma is the creation and maintenance of a patent fistula to lower IOP and eventually preserving ..
- FLUOROURACIL FILTERING SURGERY STUDYWALLACE ALWARD; Fiscal Year: 1992..of subconjunctivally injected 5-FU through the continued follow-up of 213 patients in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study Clinical Trial (FFSS)...
- 5-FLUOROURACIL & GLAUCOMA FILTERING SURGERYDale Heuer; Fiscal Year: 1992..of subconjunctivally injected 5- FU through the continued follow-up of 213 patients in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study (FFSS)-Clinical Trial...
- 5-FLUOROURACIL & GLAUCOMA FILTERING SURGERYRichard Parrish; Fiscal Year: 1993..of subconjunctivally injected 5-FU through the continued follow-up of 213 patients in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study Clinical Trial (FFSS)...
- 5-FLUOROURACIL AND GLAUCOMA FILTERING SURGERYMICHAEL KASS; Fiscal Year: 1992..injected 5-FU through the continued follow-up of 213 patients (34 in this institution) in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study Clinical Trial (FFSS)...
- PERIOPERATIVE WOUND LEAKS AFTER TRABECULECTOMY IN FFSSRichard Parrish; Fiscal Year: 1999..Applicant's Abstract) this application proposes further analyses of data collected in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study (FFSS)...
- 5-FLUOROURACIL FILTERING SURGERY STUDYJacob Wilensky; Fiscal Year: 1991..of subconjunctivally injected 5-FU through the continued follow-up of 213 patients in the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study Clinical Trial (FFSS)...
- WOUND HEALING MODULATION IN GLAUCOMA FILTERING SURGERYDavid Lee; Fiscal Year: 1990..be performed one day after surgery and every other day thereafter for a minimum of five weeks or until the filtering surgery in the experimental eye fails...
- GLAUCOMA FILTERING IMPLANTSJEAN JACOB; Fiscal Year: 1999..The results of these studies will provide insight into the processes involved in the success and failure of filtering surgery, as well as provide a potential solution to the problems associated with the surgical treatment of ..
- GLAUCOMA FILTERING SURGERY: IMPROVED BY DRUG CONJUGATESPeter Kelleher; Fiscal Year: 1991DESCRIPTION: (Investigator's abstract): Filtering surgery, when successful, is an effective method to reduce intraocular pressure and visual field loss in glaucoma patients...
- COLLABORATIVE STUDY OF INITIAL GLAUCOMA TREATMENTPAUL LICHTER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Gene Delivery to the Trabecular MeshworkDouglas Rhee; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies would set the foundation for future evaluations of the function of MIF in the TM and MIF?s potential as a candidate for gene therapy for the treatment of glaucoma. ..
- OCULAR HYPERTENSION TREATMENT STUDY (OHTS)Anne L Coleman; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Incidence of late macular degeneration in older womenAnne Coleman; Fiscal Year: 2006..This will allow the identification of women in SOF who have had progression of their ARM and developed late ARM since 1997 and 1998...
- COLLABORATIVE INITIAL GLAUCOMA TREATMENT STUDYHenry Jampel; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- GLAUCOMA SURGICAL OUTCOMES STUDYHenry Jampel; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results of the study may allow physicians to reduce the morbidity of glaucoma surgery by altering their indications for surgery, surgical technique, and postoperative follow-up. ..