Genomes and Genes
Summary: The surgical removal of one or both testicles.
Publications299 found, 100 shown here
- Androgen levels increase by intratumoral de novo steroidogenesis during progression of castration-resistant prostate cancerJennifer A Locke
Department of Urologic Sciences, University of British Columbia, The Prostate Centre at Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Cancer Res 68:6407-15. 2008..This evidence suggests that de novo androgen synthesis may be a driving mechanism leading to CRPC progression following castration...
- Biology of progressive, castration-resistant prostate cancer: directed therapies targeting the androgen-receptor signaling axisHoward I Scher
Genitourinary Oncology Service, Department of Medicine, Sidney Kimmel Center for Prostate and Urologic Cancers, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:8253-61. 2005..On the basis of this schema, we discuss strategies that are focused on the AR either directly or indirectly, as single agents or in combination, that are in clinical development...
- Exome sequencing identifies a spectrum of mutation frequencies in advanced and lethal prostate cancersAkash Kumar
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:17087-92. 2011..Our results also suggest that increasingly deep catalogs of human germline variation may challenge the necessity of sequencing matched tumor-normal pairs...
- Castration resistance in human prostate cancer is conferred by a frequently occurring androgen receptor splice variantShihua Sun
Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Clin Invest 120:2715-30. 2010....
- Chemotherapy with mitoxantrone plus prednisone or prednisone alone for symptomatic hormone-resistant prostate cancer: a Canadian randomized trial with palliative end pointsI F Tannock
Department of Medicine, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
J Clin Oncol 14:1756-64. 1996..To investigate the benefit of chemotherapy in patients with symptomatic hormone-resistant prostate cancer using relevant end points of palliation in a randomized controlled trial...
- A mechanism for androgen receptor-mediated prostate cancer recurrence after androgen deprivation therapyC W Gregory
Laboratory for Reproductive Biology, Department of Pediatrics, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Cancer Res 61:4315-9. 2001..Furthermore, we provide a molecular basis for this activation and suggest a general mechanism for recurrent prostate cancer growth...
- Randomized phase II trial of Custirsen (OGX-011) in combination with docetaxel or mitoxantrone as second-line therapy in patients with metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer progressing after first-line docetaxel: CUOG trial P-06cFred Saad
CRCUM Université de Montréal, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Cancer Res 17:5765-73. 2011..This study tested custirsen, a CLU inhibitor, in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) progressing during or within 6 months of initial docetaxel therapy...
- Diabetes and cardiovascular disease during androgen deprivation therapy: observational study of veterans with prostate cancerNancy L Keating
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:39-46. 2010..We evaluated the relationship between androgen deprivation therapy and incident diabetes and cardiovascular disease in men of all ages with prostate cancer...
- Orchiectomy attenuates post-ischemic oxidative stress and ischemia/reperfusion injury in mice. A role for manganese superoxide dismutaseJinu Kim
Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea
J Biol Chem 281:20349-56. 2006..b>Orchiectomy prevented the post-ischemic decrease of catalase activity...
- Phase I clinical trial of the CYP17 inhibitor abiraterone acetate demonstrating clinical activity in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer who received prior ketoconazole therapyCharles J Ryan
Urologic Oncology Program, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94115, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:1481-8. 2010..This phase I dose-escalation study of abiraterone acetate evaluated safety, pharmacokinetics, and effects on steroidogenesis and prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels in men with CPRC with or without prior ketoconazole therapy...
- Long-term followup of a randomized study of locally advanced prostate cancer treated with combined orchiectomy and external radiotherapy versus radiotherapy aloneTorvald Granfors
Department of Urology, Central Hospital, Vasteras, Sweden
J Urol 176:544-7. 2006In a randomized study we compared the combination of orchiectomy and radiotherapy to radiotherapy alone as treatment for locally advanced prostate cancer...
- Randomized phase II study of docetaxel and prednisone with or without OGX-011 in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancerKim N Chi
British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Clin Oncol 28:4247-54. 2010..To determine the clinical activity of OGX-011, an antisense inhibitor of clusterin, in combination with docetaxel/prednisone in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer...
- Phase II trial of bevacizumab, thalidomide, docetaxel, and prednisone in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancerYang Min Ning
PharmD, Bldg 10 Rm 5A01, 10 Center Dr, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Clin Oncol 28:2070-6. 2010..These results suggest that definitive clinical trials combining antiangiogenic agent combinations with docetaxel are warranted to improve treatment outcomes for patients with metastatic CRPC...
- Androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer: current status and future prospectsHiroshi Miyamoto
George Whipple Laboratory for Cancer Research, Departments of Pathology, Urology, and Radiation Oncology, and the Cancer Center, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, USA
Prostate 61:332-53. 2004..In order to improve overall survival, novel treatment strategies that prolong the androgen-dependent state and that are useful for androgen-independent disease based on specific molecular mechanisms need to be identified...
- Evidence of limited contributions for intratumoral steroidogenesis in prostate cancerJohannes Hofland
Departments of Internal Medicine, Urology, and Pathology, Erasmus MC, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 70:1256-64. 2010....
- Canine prostate carcinoma: epidemiological evidence of an increased risk in castrated dogsE Teske
Department of Clinical Sciences of Companion Animals, Utrecht University, P O Box 80 154, 3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
Mol Cell Endocrinol 197:251-5. 2002..The interval between castration and onset of prostatic problems was highly variable, suggesting that castration does not initiate the development of PCA in the dog, but it does favour tumor progression...
- Determining the optimal age for gonadectomy of dogs and catsMargaret V Root Kustritz
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 231:1665-75. 2007..Increasingly, dog owners and members of the veterinary profession throughout the world have questioned the optimal age for performance of these procedures and whether these procedure should even be performed as elective surgeries...
- Crosstalk between the androgen receptor and beta-catenin in castrate-resistant prostate cancerGang Wang
Genome Sciences Centre, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Cancer Res 68:9918-27. 2008..These studies provide the first in vivo evidence to support aberrant activation of the AR through the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway during progression of prostate cancer to the terminal castrate-resistant stage...
- A multi-centre randomised phase III trial of Dexamethasone vs Dexamethasone and diethylstilbestrol in castration-resistant prostate cancer: immediate vs deferred DiethylstilbestrolJ Shamash
St Bartholomew s Hospital, 7th Floor, Gloucester House, Little Britain, UK
Br J Cancer 104:620-8. 2011....
- Cabozantinib in patients with advanced prostate cancer: results of a phase II randomized discontinuation trialDavid C Smith
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Clin Oncol 31:412-9. 2013..We evaluated the activity of cabozantinib in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) in a phase II randomized discontinuation trial with an expansion cohort...
- Pattern of somatic androgen receptor gene mutations in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancerEija R Hyytinen
Department of Clinical Genetics, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Lab Invest 82:1591-8. 2002..We analyzed AR for mutations and amplifications in 21 locally recurrent prostate carcinomas treated with orchiectomy, estrogens, or a combination of orchiectomy and estramustine phosphate using fluorescence in situ hybridization,..
- Phase 1 trial of high-dose exogenous testosterone in patients with castration-resistant metastatic prostate cancerMichael J Morris
Genitourinary Oncology Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Eur Urol 56:237-44. 2009..Growth of selected castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) cell lines and animal models can be repressed by reexposure to androgens. Low doses of androgens, however, can stimulate tumor growth...
- Testosterone exacerbates hypertension and reduces pressure-natriuresis in male spontaneously hypertensive ratsJ F Reckelhoff
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Hypertension 31:435-9. 1998..Pressure-natriuresis was also blunted in ovx+T females as found in intact male SHR. These data support the hypothesis that male sex hormones contribute to the exacerbation of hypertension in SHR by reducing pressure-natriuresis...
- Development and characterization of efficient xenograft models for benign and malignant human prostate tissueYuzhuo Wang
Department of Cancer Endocrinology, BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver, Canada
Prostate 64:149-59. 2005..Furthermore, xenografts could only be established using high-grade, advanced stage, but not low- or moderate-grade prostate cancer tissues...
- Combined androgen deprivation therapy and radiation therapy for locally advanced prostate cancer: a randomised, phase 3 trialPadraig Warde
Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Lancet 378:2104-11. 2011..Our aim was to compare outcomes in such patients with locally advanced prostate cancer...
- Final safety and efficacy analysis of the specific endothelin A receptor antagonist zibotentan (ZD4054) in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer and bone metastases who were pain-free or mildly symptomatic for pain: a double-blind,Nicholas D James
Division of Cancer Studies, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
BJU Int 106:966-73. 2010....
- New therapies for castration-resistant prostate cancer: efficacy and safetyHimisha Beltran
Department of Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY, USA
Eur Urol 60:279-90. 2011..The average survival for patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) is 2-3 yr...
- Nomogram for overall survival of patients with progressive metastatic prostate cancer after castrationOren Smaletz
Genitourinary Oncology Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:3972-82. 2002..To develop a pretreatment prognostic model for survival of patients with progressive metastatic prostate cancer after castration using parameters that are measured during routine clinical management...
- Castration-resistant prostate cancer: locking up the molecular escape routesRicardo M Attar
Ortho Biotech Oncology R and D Centocor R and D, Radnor, PA 19087, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:3251-5. 2009..We will summarize how these molecular hypotheses are being tested in the clinic by the latest therapeutic modalities...
- European consensus on diagnosis and treatment of germ cell cancer: a report of the European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group (EGCCCG)H J Schmoll
European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group, Martin Luther University, Department of Hematology Oncology, Halle, Germany
Ann Oncol 15:1377-99. 2004..Since this guideline is based on the highest evidence level available today, a deviation from these proposals should be a rare and justified exception...
- Reactivation of androgen receptor-regulated TMPRSS2:ERG gene expression in castration-resistant prostate cancerChangmeng Cai
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Cancer Res 69:6027-32. 2009..These results show that expression of TMPRSS2:ERG, similarly to other AR-regulated genes, is restored in CRPC and may contribute to tumor progression...
- Conversion from a paracrine to an autocrine mechanism of androgen-stimulated growth during malignant transformation of prostatic epithelial cellsJ Gao
Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Cancer Res 61:5038-44. 2001..In summary, a fundamental change in the mechanism for androgen-stimulated growth occurs during the transformation from normal to malignant prostatic epithelial cells...
- Effect of gonadectomy on subsequent development of age-related cognitive impairment in dogsB L Hart
Behavior Service, Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 219:51-6. 2001..There may be a need to evaluate possible methods for counteracting the effects of loss of sex hormones in gonadectomized dogs...
- Androgens repress the expression of the angiogenesis inhibitor thrombospondin-1 in normal and neoplastic prostateMarc Colombel
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Research Unit 403, Laennec School of Medicine, Lyon, France
Cancer Res 65:300-8. 2005..Such patients could benefit from a combination of androgen deprivation and antiangiogenic therapy in order to minimize the induction of such tumor escape...
- Effects of castration on thymocyte development in two different models of thymic involutionTracy S P Heng
Department of Immunology, Monash University, Central and Eastern Clinical School, Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Australia
J Immunol 175:2982-93. 2005..By improving our understanding of the kinetics of thymic recovery, this study will allow more appropriate timing of therapy to achieve maximal reconstitution, especially in the elderly...
- Beyond simple castration: targeting the molecular basis of treatment resistance in advanced prostate cancerMartin Gleave
Vancouver General Hospital, D 9, 2733 Heather Street, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 3J5, Canada
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 56:47-57. 2005..The current status and future direction of several antisense oligonucleotides that have potential clinical use in cancer are also reviewed...
- Proliferation of immature tumor vessels is a novel marker of clinical progression in prostate cancerKarsten Gravdal
The Gade Institute, Section for Pathology, and Department of Surgical Sciences, University of Bergen, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Cancer Res 69:4708-15. 2009..The castration-resistant tumors exhibited weak VEGF-A but strong HIF-1alpha expression. These novel data might have an effect on clinical evaluation and treatment of prostate cancer patients...
- Activity of dutasteride plus ketoconazole in castration-refractory prostate cancer after progression on ketoconazole aloneOliver Sartor
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Genitourin Cancer 7:E90-2. 2009..We hypothesized that SRDA5 inhibition in combination with ketoconazole would mitigate progression after treatment with ketoconazole alone...
- Gonadectomy and hormone replacement exert region- and enzyme isoform-specific effects on monoamine oxidase and catechol-O-methyltransferase activity in prefrontal cortex and neostriatum of adult male ratsB Meyers
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 5230, USA
Neuroscience 165:850-62. 2010....
- Reimbursement policy and androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancerVahakn B Shahinian
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0725, USA
N Engl J Med 363:1822-32. 2010..We hypothesized that these reductions would lead to decreases in the use of ADT for indications that were not evidence based...
- Recent developments in treatments targeting castration-resistant prostate cancer bone metastasesY Loriot
Department of Cancer Medicine, Institut Gustave Roussy, University of Paris Sud, Villejuif, France
Ann Oncol 23:1085-94. 2012....
- Adaptation or selection--mechanisms of castration-resistant prostate cancerYang Zong
Medical Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, 675 Charles E Young Drive South, 5220 MRL Building, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Nat Rev Urol 10:90-8. 2013..Current research is focused on not only understanding the cellular mechanisms of CRPC, but also defining critical pathways that can be targeted with combinatorial therapies in castration-resistant cancer cells...
- Combinatorial androgen receptor targeted therapy for prostate cancerP Singh
Chemical Therapeutics Program, Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, Johns Hopkins University, 1650 Orleans St CRB 162B, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Endocr Relat Cancer 13:653-66. 2006....
- Phase II study of dasatinib in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancerEvan Y Yu
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Clin Cancer Res 15:7421-8. 2009..This phase II study investigated the activity of dasatinib in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC)...
- Crystal structures of AKR1C3 containing an N-(aryl)amino-benzoate inhibitor and a bifunctional AKR1C3 inhibitor and androgen receptor antagonist. Therapeutic leads for castrate resistant prostate cancerMo Chen
Department of Pharmacology, Perelman School of Medicine University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, United States
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 22:3492-7. 2012..To illuminate the structural basis of AKR1C3 inhibition, we also report the crystal structure of the AKR1C3·NADP(+)·2 complex, which shows that compound 2 forms a unique double-decker structure with AKR1C3...
- Androgen decreases dopamine neurone survival in rat midbrainM L Johnson
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 22:238-47. 2010..TH-IN cell number did not change after castration or hormone replacement in rat or mouse SNpc or VTA. These findings suggest that testosterone may play a suppressive role in midbrain dopaminergic pathways...
- Cooperation between Polycomb and androgen receptor during oncogenic transformationJonathan C Zhao
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Genome Res 22:322-31. 2012..Collectively, our data reveal an unexpected role of AR as a transcriptional repressor inhibiting non-prostatic differentiation and, upon excessive signaling, resulting in cancerous dedifferentiation...
- Androgen contributes to gender-related cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis in mice lacking the gene encoding guanylyl cyclase-AYuhao Li
First Department of Internal Medicine, Nara Medical University, 840 Shijo Cho, Kashihara, Nara 634 8522, Japan
Endocrinology 145:951-8. 2004..Thus, we suggest that androgens contribute to gender-related differences in cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis by a mechanism involving AT1A receptors and GC-A...
- Sexual dimorphism of blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats: effects of anti-androgen treatmentU Ganten
Department of Pharmacology, University of Heidelberg, Federal Republic of Germany
J Hypertens 7:721-6. 1989..Testosterone appears not to contribute directly to the maintenance of high blood pressure in established hypertension...
- A testicular influence on restraint-induced activation of medial parvocellular neurons in the paraventricular nucleus in the male ratVictor Viau
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of British Columbia, 2177 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z3
Endocrinology 144:3067-75. 2003....
- Improving outcomes with recent advances in chemotherapy for castrate-resistant prostate cancerOliver Sartor
Tulane Medical School New Orleans, LA, USA
Clin Genitourin Cancer 8:23-8. 2010..This trial was pivotal for the FDA's approval of the new drug application for cabazitaxel. This review focuses on both the pre-clinical and clinical development of cabazitaxel...
- Phase II study of abiraterone acetate in chemotherapy-naive metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer displaying bone flare discordant with serologic responseCharles J Ryan
Genitourinary Medical Oncology Program, UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94115, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:4854-61. 2011....
- Activation of beta-Catenin in mouse prostate causes HGPIN and continuous prostate growth after castrationXiuping Yu
Department of Urologic Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Prostate 69:249-62. 2009..Although stabilizing mutations in APC and beta-Catenin are rare in primary prostate tumors, recent studies suggest that cytoplasmic/nuclear beta-Catenin is associated with advanced, metastatic, hormone-refractory prostate carcinoma...
- Cell proliferation, DNA repair, and p53 function are not required for programmed death of prostatic glandular cells induced by androgen ablationR R Berges
Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:8910-4. 1993..Likewise, p53 gene expression is not required since the same degree of cell death occurred in prostates and seminal vesicles after castration of wild-type and p53-deficient mice...
- GRP78 up-regulation is associated with androgen receptor status, Hsp70-Hsp90 client proteins and castrate-resistant prostate cancerShaun S Tan
The Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Glasgow, UK
J Pathol 223:81-7. 2011..Up-regulated expression of AR and GRP78 expression in untreated prostate cancer predicts a less favourable outcome. This points to the importance of understanding in the molecular interaction among AR, GRP78 and AKT...
- Denosumab and bone-metastasis-free survival in men with castration-resistant prostate cancer: results of a phase 3, randomised, placebo-controlled trialMatthew R Smith
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Lancet 379:39-46. 2012..We assessed denosumab, a fully human anti-RANKL monoclonal antibody, for prevention of bone metastasis or death in non-metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer...
- Circulating tumour cell (CTC) counts as intermediate end points in castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC): a single-centre experienceD Olmos
Drug Development Unit, The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, UK
Ann Oncol 20:27-33. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the association of circulating tumour cell (CTC) counts, before and after commencing treatment, with overall survival (OS) in patients with castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC)...
- Cryptorchidism and testicular cancer: separating fact from fictionHadley M Wood
Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 48202, USA
J Urol 181:452-61. 2009..We dissected prevailing assumptions about cryptorchidism and reviewed data that support and reject these assumptions...
- Endocrine treatment in prostate cancerL J Denis
Oncologic Centre Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Semin Surg Oncol 18:52-74. 2000..The classical treatment consisted of either bilateral orchiectomy, or administration of diethylstilbestrol (DES)...
- Stromal transforming growth factor-beta signaling mediates prostatic response to androgen ablation by paracrine Wnt activityVERONICA R PLACENCIO
Departments of Cancer Biology, Urologic Surgery, and Medicine, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Cancer Res 68:4709-18. 2008..These studies reveal a novel TGF-beta, androgen, and Wnt paracrine signaling axis that enables prostatic regression of the distal ducts after androgen ablation while supporting proximal duct survival...
- A functional androgen receptor is not sufficient to allow estradiol to protect bone after gonadectomy in estradiol receptor-deficient miceNatalie A Sims
Department of Orthopaedics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8044, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1319-27. 2003..We conclude that ERalpha is the main effector of estradiol's protective function in bone in both male and female mice, and that, in its absence, AR is not sufficient to mediate this response...
- Risk of fracture after androgen deprivation for prostate cancerVahakn B Shahinian
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0562, USA
N Engl J Med 352:154-64. 2005..This treatment is associated with a loss of bone-mineral density, but the risk of fracture after androgen-deprivation therapy has not been well studied...
- Denosumab in men receiving androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancerMatthew R Smith
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston, MA 02114, USA
N Engl J Med 361:745-55. 2009....
- Castration-resistant prostate cancer: targeted therapies and individualized treatmentRahul Aggarwal
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 1270, USA
Oncologist 16:264-75. 2011..Additionally, lessons learned through the application of these technologies to prostate cancer may subsequently influence therapeutic development in other solid tumors...
- Epidemiology of surgical castration of dogs and cats in the United StatesRosalie Trevejo
College of Veterinary Medicine, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, CA 91766, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 238:898-904. 2011....
- A phase II trial of the Src-kinase inhibitor AZD0530 in patients with advanced castration-resistant prostate cancer: a California Cancer Consortium studyPrimo N Lara
University of California Davis Cancer Center, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
Anticancer Drugs 20:179-84. 2009..Strong preclinical evidence warrants further investigation of AZD0530 in earlier-stage prostate cancer or as combination therapy...
- The development of risk groups in men with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer based on risk factors for PSA decline and survivalAndrew J Armstrong
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, DUMC, Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Duke Prostate Center, Durham, NC 27715, USA
Eur J Cancer 46:517-25. 2010....
- Testosterone's anti-anxiety and analgesic effects may be due in part to actions of its 5alpha-reduced metabolites in the hippocampusKassandra L Edinger
Department of Psychology, The University at Albany SUNY, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 30:418-30. 2005..These findings suggest that T's anti-anxiety effects may be due in part to actions of its 5alpha-reduced metabolites in the dorsal hippocampus...
- Testosterone depletion by castration may protect mice from heat-induced multiple organ damage and lethalityChian Yuh Lin
The Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, National Cheng Kung University School of Medicine, Tainan, Taiwan
J Biomed Biotechnol 2010:485306. 2010..The data indicate that testosterone depletion by castration may protect mice from heatstroke-induced multiple organ damage and lethality...
- Pediatric testicular torsion: demographics of national orchiopexy versus orchiectomy ratesNicholas G Cost
Division of Pediatric Urology and Department of Research RH, Children s Medical Center and University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, TX, USA
J Urol 185:2459-63. 2011..management of pediatric torsion can lead to testicular salvage, limited data exist on rates of orchiopexy vs orchiectomy and associated factors...
- Molecular cloning and hormonal regulation of a murine epididymal retinoic acid-binding protein messenger ribonucleic acidJ J Lareyre
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Vanderbilt University, School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2633, USA
Endocrinology 139:2971-81. 1998..The overall similarity in the primary amino acid sequence of mE-RABP with ESP I and other members of the lipocalin superfamily suggests that they are evolutionarily related...
- Malignant mesothelioma of testicular tunica vaginalisKazuhiro Abe
Department of Urology, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Urol 9:602-3. 2002..Seven months after hydrocelectomy, a hard irregular mass was noticed in the left scrotum, therefore inguinal orchiectomy was performed. Pathologically, the mass showed severe atypia and mitosis...
- Phase I/II study on docetaxel, gemcitabine and prednisone in castrate refractory metastatic prostate cancerTrine Zeeberg Buch-Hansen
Department of Oncology, Herlev University Hospital, Herlev Ringvej 75, 2730, Herlev, Denmark
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 66:295-301. 2010..We assessed the efficacy and toxicity of a fixed dose of docetaxel and prednisone, combined with escalating doses of gemcitabine (DGP). The primary endpoint was PSA response...
- Organ-sparing surgery for adult testicular tumours: a systematic review of the literatureGianluca Giannarini
Department of Urology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Eur Urol 57:780-90. 2010..According to current guidelines, radical orchidectomy is the standard treatment for testis tumours of malignant and unknown origin. Testis-sparing surgery (TSS) has recently been proposed as an alternative option in selected cases...
- Outcomes in patients with clinical stage III NSGCT who achieve complete clinical response to chemotherapy at extraretroperitoneal disease siteTimothy A Masterson
Department of Surgery, Urology Service, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Urology 79:1079-84. 2012..To compare the survival outcomes of patients with advanced nonseminoma and extraretroperitoneal (ERP) disease observed for a clinical complete response (CCR) with those demonstrating a pathologic complete response (PCR)...
- [Malignant mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis: a case report]Kanako Matsuzaki
Department of Urology, Tokyo Kousei Nenkin Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 54:629-31. 2008..Pathological diagnosis was malignant mesothelioma. The patient has not received additional therapy because there has been no evidence of metastasis. He has been free of disease 3 months postoperatively...
- Orchiectomy modifies the antidepressant-like response of nicotine in the forced swimming testH Bonilla-Jaime
Departamento de Biologia de la Reproduccion, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana Iztapalapa, CP 09340, D F Mexico, Mexico
Physiol Behav 101:456-61. 2010..The present study was designed to analyze the effect of orchiectomy and the supplementation of testosterone propionate (TP) or 17β-estradiol (E(2)) on the antidepressant ..
- Effect of abiraterone acetate plus prednisone on the QT interval in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancerA W Tolcher
South Texas Accelerated Research Therapeutics START, Center for Cancer Care, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 70:305-13. 2012..This open-label, single-arm phase 1b study was conducted to assess the effect of AA and abiraterone on the QT interval...
- Evaluation of docetaxel plus estramustine in the treatment of patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancerAkihiro Matsumoto
Department of Urology, Yokohama Rosai Hospital, Kouhoku ku, Yokohama shi, Kanagawa, Japan
Int J Urol 16:687-91. 2009..To investigate the feasibility and efficacy of docetaxel-based chemotherapy in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer (HRPC)...
- Testis-sparing surgery versus radical orchiectomy in patients with Leydig cell tumorsAndreas Loeser
Department of Urology, Institute of Pathology, Julius Maximilians University Medical School, Wurzburg, Germany
Urology 74:370-2. 2009To compare retrospectively the outcome of testis-sparing surgery (TSS) to radical orchiectomy (RO) in patients with Leydig cell tumor (LCT).
- Castration has antihypertensive and organoprotective effects in male but not in female heterozygous Ren-2 ratsIvana Vaneckova
Center for Experimental Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Kidney Blood Press Res 34:46-52. 2011..In conclusion, the contribution of the renin-angiotensin system to the gender difference in BP homeostasis seems to be negligible in aging heterozygous Ren-2 transgenic rats...
- Induction of transforming growth factor beta in hormonally treated human prostate cancerG H Muir
Urology Unit, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
Br J Cancer 69:130-4. 1994..This suggests that relapse of hormonally treated prostate cancer may be associated with a failure of the epithelium to respond to stromal TGF-beta 1...
- [Local recurrence of liposarcoma of the spermatic cord 6 years after orchiectomy: a case report]Noriyasu Hagiwara
Department of Urology, Ogaki Municipal Hospital
Hinyokika Kiyo 48:443-6. 2002A 78-year-old man had undergone high inguinal orchiectomy because of a tumor of the right spermatic cord. Pathological diagnosis was pleomorphic liposarcoma according to the WHO classification...
- Intermittently administered parathyroid hormone 1-34 reverses bone loss and structural impairment in orchiectomized adult ratsYankel Gabet
Bone Laboratory, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Osteoporos Int 16:1436-43. 2005..Bilateral orchiectomy (ORX) or sham-ORX was performed in 13-week old rats...
- Distribution of radioactive lidocaine injected into the testes in pigletsB Ranheim
Department of Food Safety and Infection Biology, The Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo, Norway
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 28:481-3. 2005
- Testicular torsion and risk factors for orchiectomyJonathan M Mansbach
Division of Adolescent Young Adult Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:1167-71. 2005..To determine risk factors for testicular loss due to testicular torsion...
- [The German HTA report: orchiectomy versus LH-RH analogues in the treatment of advanced prostate carcinoma: are there any consequences for the daily health service?]V Rohde
Klinik und Poliklinik für Urologie und Kinderurologie, Universitätsklinikum Marburg und Giessen, Standort Giessen, Giessen
Aktuelle Urol 39:448-55. 2008This systematic review evaluates international data on the medical effectiveness of orchiectomy and medical therapy with LH-RH analogues in patients with advanced prostate cancer...
- Well-differentiated papillary mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis: a case report with aspirate cytologic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural studiesMasaharu Fukunaga
Department of Pathology, The Jikei Daisan Hospital, The Jikei University School of Medicine, 4 11 1, Izumihoncho, Komaeshi, Tokyo 201 8601, Japan
Pathol Res Pract 206:105-9. 2010..The patient is alive with no evidence of disease at 18 months after right radical orchiectomy. Ki67 may be potentially a good maker for differentiating low-grade from high-grade mesothelioma.
- Mesothelioma of the tunica vaginalis: a series of eight cases with uncertain malignant potentialFadi Brimo
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Mod Pathol 23:1165-72. 2010....
- Outcome of different post-orchiectomy management for stage I seminoma: Japanese multi-institutional study including 425 patientsTomomi Kamba
Department of Urology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine Translational Research Center, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto, Osaka, Japan
Int J Urol 17:980-7. 2010..To clarify the contemporary clinical outcome of stage I seminoma and to provide information on treatment options to patients...
- Orchiectomy alone for clinical stage I nonseminomatous germ cell tumors of the testis (NSGCTT): a minimum follow-up period of 5 yearsD Ondrus
Department of Urology, Comenius University Medical School, , Bratislava, Slovakia
Tumori 80:362-4. 1994AIMS AND BACKGROUND: Surveillance after orchiectomy alone has gained great popularity in the management of stage I NSGCTT...
- Down regulation of Bcl-2 is the first step on Fas-mediated apoptosis of male reproductive tractA Suzuki
Daiichi Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Drug Safety Research Laboratory, Tokyo R and D Center, Japan
Oncogene 13:31-7. 1996..We propose here that apoptotic death signal transduction in total involve, a number of steps, the first and most important of which is down regulation of Bcl-2...
- Effects of growth hormone and testosterone on cortical bone formation and bone density in aged orchiectomized ratsG Prakasam
Department of Pediatrics, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
Bone 24:491-7. 1999..The significant effect of GH+T may be attributed to the prevention of intracortical porosis, and an increase in periosteal bone formation and cortical bone mass...
- The effect of orchiectomy on lung cancer survivalE M Johnston
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Anticancer Res 19:5567-70. 1999..On the basis of age, race and region, we matched 44 men with lung cancer and bilateral orchiectomy with 88 men who had lung cancer and no history of orchiectomy and compared their survival...
- Twelve-year experience with two courses of adjuvant single-agent carboplatin therapy for clinical stage I seminomaW J Reiter
Department of Urology, University of Vienna, Austria
J Clin Oncol 19:101-4. 2001..and ipsilateral iliac node areas was the standard adjuvant treatment for clinical stage I seminoma after orchiectomy. However, late effects of radiotherapy prompted a search for alternative adjuvant treatment approaches, ..
- Effects of surgical or banding castration on stress responses and behaviour of bullsA D Fisher
AgResearch, Ruakura Research Centre, Private Bag 3123, Hamilton, New Zealand
Aust Vet J 79:279-84. 2001....
- Castration induces apoptosis in the male accessory sex organs of Fas-deficient lpr and Fas ligand-deficient gld mutant miceA Sugihara
Department of Pathology, Hyogo College of Medicine, 1 1 Mukogawa cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 663 8501, Japan
In Vivo 15:385-90. 2001..The present results suggest that the Fas ligand-Fas system plays little role in castration-induced apoptosis in the mouse male accessory sex organs such as the VP, SV, CG and Ep...
- Bilateral testicular epidermoid cysts managed by partial orchiectomyJames C Sloan
Department of Urology, University of Indiana, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Urol 167:255-6. 2002
- Messenger RNA (mRNA) expression for the antimicrobial peptides beta-defensin-1 and beta-defensin-2 in the male rat reproductive tract: beta-defensin-1 mRNA in initial segment and caput epididymidis is regulated by androgens and not bacterial lipopolysacchM A Palladino
Biology Department, Monmouth University, West Long Branch, New Jersey 07764, USA
Biol Reprod 68:509-15. 2003..that circulating androgens regulate RBD-1 mRNA expression in the epididymis, rats were subjected to bilateral orchiectomy (orch) or to orch plus a 3.5-cm implant containing testosterone...
- Identification, immunolocalization, regulation, and postnatal development of the lipocalin EP17 (epididymal protein of 17 kilodaltons) in the mouse and rat epididymisSophie Fouchécourt
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Center for Reproductive Biology Research, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Endocrinology 144:887-900. 2003..During ontogeny, mEP17 was detected as early as 3 wk of age and increased afterward. After bilateral orchiectomy, mEP17 disappeared 2 d after surgery and was not restored after testosterone replacement...
- Fracture risk following bilateral orchiectomyL Joseph Melton
Division of Epidemiology, Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Urol 169:1747-50. 2003Bone loss has been reported in patients with prostate cancer treated with androgen deprivation therapy. We assess fracture risk following bilateral orchiectomy.
- Gender-Differences in Cardiac Repolarization/ArrhythmiasGuy Salama; Fiscal Year: 2005..Hearts from female (q ovariectomy (OVX)), and male (q orchiectomy (ORX)) rabbits will be optically mapped (approximately 1 month later) to obtain baseline values for electrical ..
- INHIBIN GENE EXPRESSION IN TESTIS AND SERTOLI CELLSHUGH KEEPING; Fiscal Year: 1991..A major advantage of using serum and testes, obtained during orchiectomy is that no monkeys are killed specifically for these studies...
- Mechanisms of Testosterone Effects on Body CompositionShalendar Bhasin; Fiscal Year: 2007..In this model, we will determine the effects of surgical orchiectomy without and with testosterone replacement on the number of mesenchymal precursor cells (CD34+, Pax7), satellite ..
- STUDIES OF HUMAN MALE INFERTILITYPhilip Troen; Fiscal Year: 1980..Basic studies are also performed using orchiectomy tissue from untreated men with prostatic cancer...
- AR MUTATIONS IN ANDROGEN-INDEPENDENT PROSTATE CANCERSteven Balk; Fiscal Year: 1999..cancer growth in most patients is androgen dependent, so that removing androgens (androgen ablation) by orchiectomy or the administration of LHRH agonists is a very effective treatment...
- ADAM: Androgen Deprivation vs. Antiandrogen MonotherapyMatthew Smith; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this project will provide important insights into the relative contributions of testosterone and estrogen in bone metabolism, and maintenance of muscle size and strength in older men. ..
- Radioimmunotherapy for Prostate CancerMichael Morris; Fiscal Year: 2007..The acquisition of these skills combined with the completion of the research plan will allow the candidate to pursue such research independently. ..
- Oregon Prostate Cancer Conference 2001TOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Acupuncture for hot flashes in prostate cancer patientsTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The overall goal is to provide prostate cancer patients an effective, low toxicity, non-pharmacologic treatment modality for hot flashes. ..
- A Novel Vitamin D Target in Human Prostate CancerTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2007..New treatment targets are needed to develop new drugs to treat prostate cancer, the most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second-leading cancer killer in US men. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Resistance and Response Mechanisms to Prostate Cancer TherapyTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will test the effectiveness of novel treatments that exploit newly discovered targets in the laboratory and lay the foundation for human trials to develop effective prostate cancer treatment. ..
- Fractures, Heart Disease, and Stroke on Aromatase InhibitorsNancy L Keating; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- FEMALE SEXUAL AROUSAL: CLITORAL AND VAGINAL PHYSIOLOGYAbdulmaged Traish; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Managed Care Penetration and Cancer CareNancy Keating; Fiscal Year: 2003..If managed care penetration is negatively associated with the delivery of care, interventions targeted toward policy-makers, providers, and patients will be needed to counteract the effects of market forces. ..
- Androgenic And Antiandorgenic Interactions Of PC-SPESCHARLES ROSELLI; Fiscal Year: 2002..Specific Aim 3: To evaluate the effect of PCSPES on Cytochrome P450-mediated metabolism of androgenic and antiandrogenic drugs by the liver, in order to identify possible interactions of PC-SPES with other hormone therapies. ..
- Local Therapy of Breast Cancer in Community PopulationsNancy Keating; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, the work will provide insight into different techniques for the analysis of observational data. ..
- The effects of androgens on calcium homeostasis in card*Kish Golden; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these experiments will shed light into the role of androgens in regulating cardiac contractile function...
- Androgens raise venous and arterial adrenergic tone.Douglas S Martin; Fiscal Year: 2010..A better understanding the factors that control arterial and venous tone in hypertension may lead to design antihypertensive drugs with fewer adverse effects ..
- Effects of Androgens and Cannabinoids on LearningSTUART LEONARD; Fiscal Year: 2005..These results will provide, for the first time, information regarding the interactive effects of testosterone and THC on cognitive behavior. ..
- Hypoxia and the Role of HIF-1 in the Ischemic TestisMichael Palladino; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- FDG PET-CT in Metastatic Prostate CancerHossein Jadvar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Rigorous statistical methods will be applied to determine the diagnostic and prognostic performance of FDG PET-CT in this clinical setting. ..
- Roles of Nemo-like kinase in CaP and its effects on androgen receptor signalingEva Corey; Fiscal Year: 2010..By studying the ability of nemo-like kinase to kill even prostate-cancer cells that are resistant to other treatments, we hope to point the way to new and promising therapeutic approaches for advanced prostate cancer. ..
- Equipment Support for USD Laboratory Animal ServicesDouglas Martin; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term goal is to achieve AAALAC accreditation. It is expected that AAALAC review for accreditation will be requested within 18 months of completion and occupancy of the new LAS. ..
- Subcortical Estrogen Effect on The HippocampusCsaba Leranth; Fiscal Year: 2005..cholinergic and GABAergic septo-hippocampal neurons involved in mediating estrogenic effect to the hippocampus? and (d) Do SUM neurons mediate estrogenic effect to the hippocampus directly or indirectly, via the MSDB? ..
- Optimizing use of androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancerVahakn B Shahinian; Fiscal Year: 2010..POP dominant) on care of men on ADT. ..
- Fibroblast Activation Protein-alpha Activated Anti-Stromal Prodrug Therpay for CaSamuel R Denmeade; Fiscal Year: 2010..e. "stroma") within cancers rather than the cancer cells themselves can be effective therapy. The FAP- activated prodrug, therefore, could represent a new targeted therapy for a variety of human cancers. ..
- GnRH Agonists For Prostate Cancer: Role of the UrologistVahakn Shahinian; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Group and Individual Differences in AuditionDennis McFadden; Fiscal Year: 2010..If so, theory, diagnosis, treatment, and nosology for ADHD could be affected. ..
- Androgen action in bone: Overexpression of ARKristine M Wiren; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will identify specific molecular events/pathways influenced by androgen treatment in bone, and should lead to an improved understanding of mechanisms that influence adult bone size and quality. ..
- Modulation of age-related changes in the auditory systemJAMES WILLOTT; Fiscal Year: 2008..The ultimate goal is to develop new approaches for amelioration and treatment ofpresbycusis and other hearing disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Northeast Under/Grad Research Organization for NeuroscienceCheryl Frye; Fiscal Year: 2008..Both of these outcomes are congruous with the Public Health Service's mission to ensure that there is a resource of well-trained scientists and health-care providers in the United States. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Negative Effects of Bisphenol A on the Monkey CNSCsaba Leranth; Fiscal Year: 2008..Therefore, we propose to reveal the effect of BPA on estrogen-induced spine synapse formation in the brain of non-human primates, which will provide more relevance to human health. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EVOLUTION OF BRAIN-BEHAVIOR CONTROLLING MECHANISMSDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN NEUROBIOLOGY AND BEHAVIORDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2003..All of the laboratories comply with NIH requirements. ..
- SCREENING MICE FOR AUDITORY & NEUROBEHAVIORAL PHENOTYPESJAMES WILLOTT; Fiscal Year: 2002..Johnson. This will be accompanied by development of an easy-to-use software/ hardware package that will integrate all screening techniques in a single, serial protocol for use on individual mice. ..
- ENVIRONMENTAL INFLUENCES ON BRAIN PLASTICITYDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2002..The final category of experiments is particularly important as it will discern whether the incubation temperature effects are direct or indirect. ..
- Persistent changes in brain expression after withdrawalKRISTINE WIREN; Fiscal Year: 2003..e. physical dependence leading to withdrawal seizures) are regulated at the genetic level. This knowledge may help in the development of new strategies for the treatment of alcohol dependence. ..
- Estrogenic Effect on Hippocampal Theta Rhythm and MemoryCsaba Leranth; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Epigenetic Influences on Brain and BehaviorDavid Crews; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific Aim III. To establish if the different behavioral profiles exhibited in such animals in adulthood are reflected in different patterns of activity in a network of interconnected limbic nuclei. ..
- Sex, SLE, and Signal TransductionJill Jacobson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- PHASE I TRIAL OF A PEPTIDE VACCINE AGAINST EGFRVIIIBruce Montgomery; Fiscal Year: 2005..To characterize effects of human anti-EGFRvIII antibodies on EGFRvIII signaling. 4. To determine the level of EGFR specific T cell response after immunization with EGFRvIII peptide. ..
- Adrenal decommissioning and hypertensionElise Gomez Sanchez; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using similar protocols as those in Aim 1, we will study and compare the process of adrenal decommissioning between SHR-SP and regular SHR rats with emphasis of the ZG genes identified as important in Aim 1. ..
- Proteoglycan degradation and functional recovery after peripheral nerve injuryARTHUR ENGLISH; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal seeks to evaluate a technology for medical treatment of peripheral nerve injuries which, if successful, could have an important impact on a relatively large group of under-treated patients. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Patient-Provider Interaction & Response to AcupunctureMaria Suarez Almazor; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition there will be a natural control group (waiting list group), in which patients will be offered acupuncture three months after study entry. ..
- COCAINE SELF ADMINISTRATION IN DOPAMINE KNOCKOUT MICESIMON CAINE; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ALDOSTERONE, HYPERTENSION AND THE BRAINElise Gomez Sanchez; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) Study of the metabolism of aldosterone and corticosterone and the regulation of the synthesis of low polarity derivatives in the brain, including the identification of the sites of formation of aldosterone acyl esters. ..
- Daily genistein injections stimulate intestinal secretion: How?Layla Al Nakkash; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, we aim to identify the suitability of genistein as a potential therapeutic for the most common lethal genetic disease in Caucasians, cystic fibrosis (CF). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OPIATES AND CNS DEVELOPMENTIlona Vathy; Fiscal Year: 2004..This research will provide valuable information regarding the mechanisms by which prenatal morphine exposure alters the sensitivity of the HPA axis, neural plasticity of the hippocampus and the propensity for drug abuse. ..
- Breast Cancer Screening and Follow-up in a PBRN: The Ma*Michael Barry; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will create a process to track all patients within our PBRN and to reduce current barriers to ordering and following up of abnormal mammogram results. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Socioeconomic Diversity of CAM Integration in OncologyJune Chan; Fiscal Year: 2002..Given the growing utilization of CAM, this project will lay the foundation for understanding the needs of our patient population and will provide necessary preliminary data to be further studied in randomized clinical trials. ..
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF DIABETIC NEPHROPATHYSharon Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Antiapoptotic Activity of Alzheimer AbetaCraig Atwood; Fiscal Year: 2003..We also will test whether oxidative stress induces neurons to re-enter the cell cycle as a mechanism leading to cell death. ..
- TRANSCIPTION OF PROTEIN CODING GENES IN T BRUCEGwo Shu Lee; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Estrogenic Regulation of Inflammation Related to TMJDPhillip Kramer; Fiscal Year: 2006..The function of estrogen receptors ER alpha and/or ER beta will be directly addressed pharmacologically (e.g., antiestrogen) and through mutation studies of the Fc gamma RIIIA promoter. ..
- Treatment adherence in minorities with rheumatic diseaseMaria Suarez Almazor; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- "Post-partum steroid withdrawal-induced depression"REBECCA CRAFT; Fiscal Year: 2006..Findings from the proposed model will enhance our understanding of the etiology of PPD and possibly lead to improved treatment options. ..
- Imaging Unconditioned FearJean King; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since fear experience by all animals, these studies may expand our understanding of anxiety and phobias in general. ..
- COMPARISON OF TREATMENT EFFICACY FOR PROSTATE CANCERPeter Albertsen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Phase II Trial of Tetrathiomolybdate in Prostate CancerDavid Smith; Fiscal Year: 2002..The levels of these growth factors/cytokines will then be correlated with the degree of copper depletion, PSA level and response to therapy. ..
- GnRH neuron recruitment for the preovulatory surgeKELLY SUTER; Fiscal Year: 2003..burst firing). These preliminary studies are intended to begin to explore the general hypothesis that functional differences exist within the GnRH neuronal population in a paradigm likely to reveal such differences if they exist. ..
- VTA modulation of plasticityJON SAKATA; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THE AGING KIDNEYSharon Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2001..The use of a combined physiological, biochemical, immunohistochemical, and molecular biologic approach should gain insight into this clinically important but understudied problem. ..
- Estrogenic LXR Alpha Response /Cholesterol HomeostasisPhillip Kramer; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Gender and susceptibility to kidney damage in high BPJane F Reckelhoff; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Antiretroviral-Induced Defects in Muscle Protein SynthesisCharles H Lang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such data is needed to both realize the full potential and avoid possible pitfalls of this drug in the long-term treatment of HIV-infected individuals. ..
- Elevated potassium ion in lacrimal fluid and the health of the ocular surfaceJohn Ubels; Fiscal Year: 2009..If the high potassium in tears is important for the health of the ocular surface, this information will be useful in the development of improved treatments for dry eye disease. ..
- PROSTATE CANCER SCREENING & MORTALITY: SEATTLE VS. CT.Michael Barry; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Microscopic Quantitative Mapping Ion Flux in Rat BrainKaren Briski; Fiscal Year: 2003..This research will significantly advance current understanding of the cellular and molecular bases linking neuronal energetics with homeostatic regulation of glucose availability. ..
- Coronary ion channels, gender and vasoreactivityDOUGLAS BOWLES; Fiscal Year: 2008..The goal of this research is to determine gender-related cellular and molecular differences in CSM as they relate to gender differences in propensity for coronary disease. ..
- Regulation of the Immune Response to Prostate CancerCharles Drake; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, the research and training program outlined in this proposal makes full use of the collaborative and educational opportunities offered by the Johns Hopkins Oncology Center, where this work will be performed. ..
- Genomic Instability and Etiology of Estrogen OncogenesisJonathan Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Rhesus Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Serotonin NeuronsCYNTHIA BETHEA; Fiscal Year: 2007..The knowledge obtained from this work will lead to novel treatments for psychoneuropathologies. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Molecular Consequences of Estrogen-Induced InterferonyS Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2007..1 Description, ..
- MYOCARDIAL PROTEIN SYNTHESIS AFTER ALCOHOL INTOXICATIONCharles H Lang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Overall, the research design will establish the mechanism by which myocardial protein synthesis is reduced in response to alcohol abuse. ..
- Mammary Carcinogenesis: Growth Hormone and IGF-IDavid Kleinberg; Fiscal Year: 2006..The potential role of IGF-I as a permissive factor for the action of PRL will also be determined. ..
- New Paradigms of P450-mediated Steroids MetabolismAlan Conley; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Spontaneous Corneal Inflammation in gd T cell absenceREBECCA O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..In addition, we will carryout experiments designed to examine whether the disease is autoimmune, results from bacterial infection, or stems from damage caused by a chemical released from dirty cage litter. ..
- Stress and Memory Formation Across the Female LifespanTracey Shors; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Biochemical markers of bone turnover in metastatic prostate cancerPrimo N Lara; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- SYNTHESIS OF THE TEDANOLIDES, CYTOTOXIC POLYPROPIONATESMichael Jung; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Mechanisms of Sexual Dimorphism in Perinatal ProgrammingLORI WOODS; Fiscal Year: 2005..and protein-restricted mothers will be manipulated during the developmental period and/or in adult life by orchiectomy/ovariectomy and administration of exogenous hormone or by administration of pharmacologic inhibitors...
- PREVENTION OF DENDRITIC ATROPHY AFTER MOTONEURON INJURYDALE SENGELAUB; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Identifying Ligands with Soluble Gamma/Delta TCRsREBECCA O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..3 sTCR. The backup approach involves generation of ligand specific mAbs, identified by their ability to block sTCR/ligand binding, as reagents to affinity-purify the ligand. ..
- ESTROGENIC EFFECTS IN ANDROGEN SENSITIVE MOTONEURONSDALE SENGELAUB; Fiscal Year: 2001....