endocrine surgical procedures
Summary: Surgery performed on any endocrine gland.
Publications113 found, 100 shown here
- Kinetics of intraoperative fluorescence diagnosis of parathyroid glandsRuediger L Prosst
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Mannheim, Ruprecht Karls University of Heidelberg, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 150:743-7. 2004..In preparation for a clinical application of this technique in patients undergoing surgery for hyperparathyroidism, we evaluated the kinetics of fluorescence diagnosis...
- Endocrine surgery: Our current understanding of the treatment and the controversies within this diverse group of tumorsJanice L Pasieka
Department of Surgery, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Surg Oncol 89:105-7. 2005
- Who performs endocrine operations in the United States?Brian D Saunders
Department of Surgery, Divisions of Endocrine Surgery and Vascular Surgery, University of Michigan, 1500 E Medical Center Drive, Taubman Center 2920H, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0331, USA
Surgery 134:924-31; discussion 931. 2003..Endocrine surgery is a discipline that is dedicated to high-quality care of patients with endocrine surgical disease. The relationship between its "identity" as a separate field and clinical practice patterns is not known...
- Kindred spirits of the endocrines: the training of the future endocrine surgeonsJanice L Pasieka
Division of General Surgery and Surgical Oncology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Surg Oncol 89:202-5. 2005..Where we are as a sub-specialty, where we came from, and what it will take to meet this goal are discussed...
- Clinical pathways improve hospital resource use in endocrine surgeryRajan P Kulkarni
Department of Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Am Coll Surg 212:35-41. 2011..Here, we describe novel clinical pathways developed for endocrine operations (ie, unilateral thyroid lobectomy, total thyroidectomy, parathyroidectomy) and evaluate their effects on economic end points at a major academic hospital...
- Current status and future directions of geriatric general surgeryWalter E Pofahl
Department of Surgery, The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:S351-4. 2003..Each of these areas is a source of considerable interest to general surgeons...
- The diagnosis and management of malignant phaeochromocytoma and paragangliomaAlexandra Chrisoulidou
Department of Endocrinology and Endocrine Oncology, Theagenion Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Endocr Relat Cancer 14:569-85. 2007..Ongoing microarray studies may provide novel intracellular pathways of importance for proliferation/cell cycle control, and lead to the development of novel pharmacological agents...
- The diagnosis and surgical management of diseases of the adrenal glandsJ Barczyk
I Department of General Surgery, , , Poland
Rocz Akad Med Bialymst 46:47-53. 2001..6%) of patients. We recommend the transperitoneal approach which allows the visual evaluation of both adrenals and extra adrenal tissue. We regard surgical intervention as being the only effective method of treating adrenal tumours...
- Robotic abdominal surgeryEric J Hanly
Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 North Wolfe Street, Blalock 665, Baltimore, Maryland 21287 4665, USA
Am J Surg 188:19S-26S. 2004..Outcomes data for surgical robotics are essential given the exorbitant costs associated with the use of these tools...
- [Ambulatory endocrine surgery]Pablo Moreno Llorente
Cir Esp 80:273-4. 2006
- Endocrine surgeryTracy S Wang
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Am J Surg 202:369-71. 2011..Studies showing the relationship between hospital/surgeon volume and patient outcomes highlight the importance of advanced postgraduate training in this field...
- Reinforcement of endocrine surgery training: impact of telemedicine technology in a developing country contextP V Pradeep
Department of Endocrine Surgery, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
World J Surg 31:1665-71. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the feasibility and impact of telemedicine on the reinforcement of endocrine surgery training at distant places to develop this subspecialty in a developing country such as India...
- German Association of Endocrine Surgeons practice guideline for the surgical management of malignant thyroid tumorsHenning Dralle
Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Ernst Grube Straße 40, 06097, Halle, Saale, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 398:347-75. 2013..These developments called for an update of the previous practice guideline to detail the surgical treatment options that are available for the various disease entities and tumor stages...
- Increased efficiency of endocrine procedures performed in an ambulatory operating roomNicholas Clark
Section of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53792 7375, USA
J Surg Res 184:200-3. 2013..The goal of this study was to determine whether this change has decreased turnover times and maximized OR utilization...
- [Management of goiters]Jean Louis Wemeau
CHRU, Hopital Claude Huriez, Clinique Endocrinologique Marc Linquette, 4 e Ouest, rue Polonoswki, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Presse Med 40:1147-54. 2011..Radioactive iodine constitutes an alternative to surgery for voluminous, compressive, hyperfunctionnal goiters, especially in older people...
- Resident/fellow assistance in the operating room for endocrine surgery in the era of fellowshipsMelanie Goldfarb
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Surgery 148:1065-71; discussion 1071-2. 2010Historically, a high percentage of endocrine surgical procedures are performed by general surgeons in nonteaching environments. With the institution of accredited fellowships, we sought to determine whether that dynamic is changing.
- Translational research in endocrine surgeryScott K Sherman
Department of Surgery, Carver College of Medicine, The University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Surg Oncol Clin N Am 22:857-84. 2013..These breakthroughs and their influence on current therapy are discussed to provide surgeons with an overview of the basic science research currently creating new clinical treatments and improving patient care. ..
- Thyroid-related factors that influence preoperative localization of parathyroid adenomasSerhat Isik
Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinic, Ministry of Health, Ankara, Turkey
Endocr Pract 18:26-33. 2012..To evaluate the effect that thyroid-related factors have on the preoperative localization of parathyroid adenomas...
- Thyroid hormone replacement in women of reproductive age: is surgeon knowledge related to operative volume?Megan R Haymart
Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Diabetes, Department of Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Thyroid 20:627-31. 2010..The objective of this study was to identify the role of the surgeon in patient education at the time of initiation of LT4 therapy...
- European endocrine surgery in the 150-year history of Langenbeck's Archives of SurgeryHenning Dralle
Department of General, Visceral and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital, Ernst Grube Strasse 40, Halle Saale, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 395:43-55. 2010....
- Parotidectomy--Anatomical considerationsSteven J Wang
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California
Clin Anat 25:12-8. 2012..This report will discuss the anatomy of the parotid gland as it pertains to parotid surgery and the avoidance of complications related to this surgery...
- [Thyroid surgery in Japan]Takahiro Okamoto
Department of Endocrine Surgery, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Nihon Geka Gakkai Zasshi 113:486-9. 2012..Endocrine surgeons are privileged to pose and solve many unanswered questions that are relevant to good clinical practice for patients with surgical thyroid disorders in the future...
- Acromegaly with negative pituitary MRI and no evidence of ectopic source: the role of transphenoidal pituitary exploration?Sameera Daud
Department of Endocrinology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Pituitary 14:414-7. 2011..This approach may avoid long term medical treatment with its associated cost...
- [Surgical treatment of pheochromocytoma--personal experience]Dejan Elaković
Department of Urology, Military Medical Academy, Belgrade
Srp Arh Celok Lek 130:31-7. 2002..This approach is simple, extrapleural and extraperitoneal. It offers a broad surgical field with the adrenal in its centre which permits an atraumatic operation with little risk of complications...
- [Primary hyperparathyroidism]G Maruani
Departement de Physiologie, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 20, rue Leblanc, 75015 Paris, France Inserm UMR S 845, Centre de Recherche, Universite Paris Descartes, 75015 Paris, France Electronic address
Rev Med Interne 34:605-13. 2013..The only radical treatment is surgery and the surgical indications have been codified by several consensus conferences. For patients who do not undergo surgery, prolonged medical monitoring is needed. ..
- Morbidity following thyroid surgery: does surgeon volume matter?Carmen González-Sánchez
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Salamanca, Paseo San Vicente 58 182, 37007 Salamanca, Spain
Langenbecks Arch Surg 398:419-22. 2013....
- Cushing's disease -- assessing the efficacy of transsphenoidal surgeryPrzemysław Witek
Department of Endocrinology and Isotope Therapy, Military Institute of Medicine, Warsaw, Poland
Endokrynol Pol 63:398-404. 2012..Our study emphasises the need for long-term postoperative endocrinological follow-up, which facilitates early detection of recurrent hypercortisolemia...
- Surgery for gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (GEPNETS)J Philip Boudreaux
Section of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 200 West Esplanade Avenue, Suite 200, Kenner, LA 70065, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 40:163-71, ix. 2011..This article considers different options based on the type of tumor and site of origin...
- Advancement of the artificial pancreas through the development of interoperability standardsPeter E Picton
Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Diabetes Sci Technol 7:1066-70. 2013..Discussion from a special session of the 12th Annual Diabetes Technology Meeting is also provided. ..
- [Review of 300 cases of parotidectomy for benign parotid tumors]Ryo Kawata
Department of Otolaryngology, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki
Nihon Jibiinkoka Gakkai Kaiho 115:618-24. 2012..The objective of this study was to analyze the diagnosis and postoperative complications of benign parotid tumors for a series of 300 patients who underwent the same diagnostic methods and operation procedure in a single institute...
- Short-duration, single-agent antibiotic prophylaxis for meningitis in trans-sphenoidal surgeryAndrew S Little
Division of Neurological Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85013, USA
Pituitary 14:335-9. 2011..The results of this regimen compare favorably to historical rates achieved with longer regimens that use two antibiotics. Future studies will investigate the role prophylactic antibiotics play in nasal mucosa healing and sinusitis...
- The dynamics of post-operative plasma ACTH values following transsphenoidal surgery for Cushing's diseaseLakshmi Srinivasan
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5821, USA
Pituitary 14:312-7. 2011..The utility of plasma ACTH measurements in the postoperative management of CD remains to be determined...
- [Diagnosis and management of pain syndromes following parotidectomy]R Linke
Klinik und Poliklinik Fur Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23558, Lubeck, Deutschland
HNO 60:725-9. 2012..In a third patient the great auricular nerve had to be resected 6 months after parotidectomy. Other options of therapy are described...
- Outcome of operation in patients with adrenocortical cancer invading the inferior vena cava--a European Society of Endocrine Surgeons (ESES) surveyRadu Mihai
Endocrine Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, OX3 9DU, UK
Langenbecks Arch Surg 397:225-31. 2012..Most patients with adrenocortical cancer (ACC) continue to present with advanced disease. Invasion into the inferior vena cava (IVC) defines stage III disease and the management of such patients raises additional difficulties...
- Robotic thyroid surgery: Clinical and anatomic considerationsJeffrey R Janus
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Clin Anat 25:40-53. 2012..This article will discuss the relevant anatomy, operative goals, robotic technique, and clinical considerations of robotic thyroid surgery...
- [Specialists in endocrine and thyroid surgery]Hiroshi Sonoo
Department of Breast and Thyroid Surgery, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki, Japan
Nihon Geka Gakkai Zasshi 113:512-4. 2012..There are now total of 127 authorized and associated institutions. This report gives an outline of this system and future issues to be addressed...
- A prospective study of heart rate variability in endocrine surgery: surgical training increases consultant's mental strainRuth S Prichard
University of Sydney, Endocrine Surgical Unit, Sydney, NSW, Australia
J Surg Educ 69:453-8. 2012..The aim of this study was to determine whether instructing surgical trainees in technically demanding procedures causes alterations in heart rate variability (HRV) and mental strain in supervising surgeons...
- Anesthesia and thyroid surgery: The never ending challengesSukhminder Jit Singh Bajwa
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Gian Sagar Medical College and Hospital, Ram Nagar, Banur, Punjab, India
Indian J Endocrinol Metab 17:228-34. 2013..The present review aims at an in-depth analysis of potential risk factors and challenges during administration of anesthesia and possible complications in patients with thyroid disease...
- Cushing's disease: results of treatment and factors affecting outcomeAriachery C Ammini
Department of Endocrinology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Hormones (Athens) 10:222-9. 2011..To analyze the therapeutic results of intervention and the factors affecting the outcome of patients with Cushing's disease (CD) cared for at the All Indian Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS), New Delhi...
- Endocrine surgery: where are we today? A national survey of young endocrine surgeonsCarmen C Solorzano
Division of Endocrine Surgery, Sylvester Cancer Center, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Surgery 147:536-41. 2010..Educational objectives have been published by the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons (AAES), but data have not been collected describing the recruitment pool, fellowship, or postfellowship experiences...
- The transaxillary, totally endoscopic approach for head and neck endocrine surgery in childrenThom E Lobe
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Blank Children s Hospital, Des Moines, Iowa 50309, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 21:97-100. 2011..The purpose of this study was to assess the safety, efficacy, and learning curve for transaxillary, totally endoscopic (TATE) head and neck endocrine surgery in children...
- Surgical management of Zollinger-Ellison syndrome; state of the artEllen H Morrow
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5641, USA
Surg Clin North Am 89:1091-103. 2009..The role of Whipple procedure, especially for MEN-1 cases, should be explored further. Laparoscopic and endoscopic treatments are more experimental, but may have a role...
- Surgical management of MEN-1 and -2: state of the artGoran Akerstrom
Department of Surgery, University Hospital, Uppsala, 751 85 Sweden
Surg Clin North Am 89:1047-68. 2009..Prophylactic thyroidectomy based on DNA testing in the MEN-2 syndrome is considered one of the greater achievements in cancer treatment, because it may be performed before thyroid carcinoma development and provides cure for the patient...
- The impact of laparoscopy in the management of non-palpable testesDragan Kravarusic
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Surgery, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 7:44-7. 2009....
- Surgical treatment and follow up on undescended testisJorgen Thorup
Department of Pediatric Surgery 4272, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej, Copenhagen, Denmark
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 7:38-43. 2009..Disrupted endocrine regulation may be combined with both hypotheses...
- [Intraoperative identification of the recurrent laryngeal nerves in thyroid surgery]Andrzej Siemiatkowski
Klinika Anestezjologii i Intensywnej Terapii UM w Bialymostoku
Anestezjol Intens Ter 40:244-8. 2008..All of these methods limit the use of muscle relaxants during anaesthesia. Details of anaesthetic management are presented...
- HRPT2-related familial isolated hyperparathyroidism: could molecular studies direct the surgical approach?Leticia G Silveira
Departamentos de Farmácia, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 52:1211-20. 2008..We concluded that it is necessary to individualize the surgical approach for HRPT2-related hyperparathyroidism until we can gather a better phenotype-genotype correlation in larger series, to best define their treatment...
- Management of intrathoracic goitrePia Pace-Asciak
Department of Otolaryngology, Gordon and Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, Vancouver, BC
Can J Surg 51:E111-2. 2008
- Post-operative hyponatremia in patients with pituitary adenoma: post-operative management with a uniform treatment protocolYasuyuki Kinoshita
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Hiroshima University, Hiroshima 734 8551, Japan
Endocr J 58:373-9. 2011..Special attention and recovery effort should be given to elder patients with marked serum Na level decline after surgery...
- Mineralocorticoid antagonists treatment versus surgery in primary aldosteronismC Catena
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pathology and Medicine, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Horm Metab Res 42:440-5. 2010....
- The role of outcomes data for assessing the expertise of a pituitary surgeonKiarash Shahlaie
Neuroscience Institute and Brain Tumor Center, John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John s Health Center, Santa Monica, California 90404, USA
Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 17:369-76. 2010..In this review, we assess the impact of neurosurgeon expertise as a determinant of outcome in pituitary surgery...
- Cinacalcet as alternative treatment for primary hyperparathyroidism: achievements and prospectsLeonidas H Duntas
Endocrine Unit, Evgenidion Hospital, University of Athens, 20 Papadiamantopoulou Str, 11528, Athens, Greece
Endocrine 39:199-204. 2011..Results are pending as to whether cinacalcet decreases mortality and morbidity in pHPT, confirmation of which would conclusively recommend this drug as a valid alternative to surgery...
- Pituitary incidentaloma: an endocrine society clinical practice guidelinePamela U Freda
Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:894-904. 2011..The aim was to formulate practice guidelines for endocrine evaluation and treatment of pituitary incidentalomas...
- Strategic impact of a new academic endocrine surgery programJames E Wiseman
Endocrine Surgical Unit, Department of Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 18:2260-4. 2011..A minority of medical centers possess a dedicated endocrine surgery program. Here we assess the short-term impact of a new endocrine surgery program on institutional case volumes and financial endpoints...
- [A case of giant hemorrhagic adrenal pseudocystectomy with a flank incision]Yasuharu Takeuchi
The Department of Urology, Toho University Ohashi Medical Center, Japan
Hinyokika Kiyo 57:315-8. 2011..Although the tumor was a non-functioning tumor, and diagnostic imaging was negative for malignancy, the tumor was surgically resected with a flank incision. The histopathological diagnosis was adrenal pseudocyst...
- Metabolic complications of endocrine surgery in companion animalsJoao Felipe de Brito Galvao
Small Animal Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University, 601 Vernon Tharp Street, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 41:847-68, v. 2011..Common complications of endocrine surgery as well as prevention strategies will be reviewed for pancreatic, parathyroid, and adrenal surgery...
- Non-functioning pituitary adenomas: a single center experienceP Anagnostis
Endocrinology Clinic, Hippokration Hospital, 49 Konstantinoupoleos Str, Thessaloniki, Greece
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 119:314-9. 2011..To describe the clinical imaging and hormonal characteristics and the natural course of patients with clinically non-functioning pituitary adenomas (NFPAs) presenting at our department from 1984 to 2009...
- Training our future endocrine surgeons: a look at the endocrine surgery operative experience of U.S. surgical residentsBarbara Zarebczan
Section of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53792 7375, USA
Surgery 148:1075-80; discussion 1080-1. 2010..We sought to determine whether this has translated into an increase in operative volume for general surgery and otolaryngology residents...
- Minimally invasive endocrine surgeryMichael D Addis
Division of Laparoscopic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Mt Sinai J Med 70:333-7. 2003..Minimally invasive endocrine surgery has experienced multiple new developments...
- Congenital hyperinsulinismJean Baptiste Arnoux
Hospital Necker Enfants Malades, Paris, France
Early Hum Dev 86:287-94. 2010..The main points sum up the management of HI: i) prevention of brain damages by normalizing glycemia and ii) screening for focal HI as they may be definitively cured after a limited pancreatectomy...
- Undescended testes: a consensus on managementE Martin Ritzen
Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, S 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Endocrinol 159:S87-90. 2008..Referral should be to paediatric rather than general surgeons/urologists if the boy is less than 1 year old, if he has bilateral or non-palpable testes, or if he has got relapse of cryptorchidism...
- Optimizing surgical therapy for chronic pancreatitisW T Knoefel
Department of Surgery, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Pancreatology 2:379-84; discussion 385. 2002
- A simple method to expose the surgical field when performing a thyroplastyOllivier Laccourreye
Department of Oto Rhino Laryngologie et Chriurgie Cervico Faciale, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, University of Paris, France
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 132:108-9. 2005
- Medullary thyroid carcinoma: including MEN 2A and MEN 2B syndromesFrank J Quayle
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Surg Oncol 89:122-9. 2005..MTC cells do not concentrate radioactive iodine, and MTC does not respond well to external beam radiation or conventional cytotoxic chemotherapy. These distinguishing features should be considered in planning surgical management of MTC...
- How should medical student surgical rotations be structured to optimize education?Sharon M Weber
University of Wisconsin, Department of Surgery, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
J Surg Res 126:145-8. 2005..We evaluated improvements in knowledge for students exposed to the two following types of surgical education: (1) traditional service-based rotations and (2) focused mini-rotations in a surgical subspecialty...
- An alternative use of pressure infusor in thyroid surgeryAltaf K Awan
Department of General and Endocrine Surgery, Nottingham City Hospital, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 87:291. 2005
- Prevalence of differentiated thyroid cancer in 810 cases of surgically treated goiter in YemenMansour Al-Jaradi
Sana a University, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Yemen
Ann Saudi Med 25:394-7. 2005..In 1990, the World Health Organization (WHO) suggested that severe iodine deficiency exists in Yemen. Therefore, we looked at the prevalence of differentiated thyroid goiter in 810 cases consecutively treated by surgery for goiter...
- International consensus guidelines for management of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms and mucinous cystic neoplasms of the pancreasMasao Tanaka
Department of Surgery and Oncology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Pancreatology 6:17-32. 2006..The proposed guidelines represent a consensus of the working group of the International Association of Pancreatology...
- Presidential address: A perspective on the future of endocrine surgery--challenges and opportunities in a time of rapid transformationJohn S Kukora
Department of Surgery, Abington Memorial Hospital, Abington, PA, USA
Surgery 138:965-70. 2005
- Primary aldosteronism: are we diagnosing and operating on too few patients?R D Gordon
Endocrine Hypertension Research Unit, University of Queensland, Department of Medicine, Greenslopes Hospital, Brisbane 4120, Australia
World J Surg 25:941-7. 2001....
- [Robotic-assisted operations in digestive and endocrine surgery using Da Vinci system]L Bresler
Ann Chir 131:299-301. 2006
- Palmar skin blood flow and temperature responses throughout endoscopic sympathectomyCraig G Crandall
Institute for Exercise and Environmental Medicine, Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas, 7232 Greenville Ave, Dallas, TX 75231, USA
Anesth Analg 100:277-83. 2005..This occurrence may limit the utility of skin blood-flow measurements in identifying the success of the procedure...
- [Gamma-locator apparatus in the assistance of location of parathyroid neoplasm in operation ]Ming Chen Ba
Department of General Hospital Nanfang Hospital, 1st Military Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 84:1584. 2004
- What's new in general surgery: endocrine surgeryChristopher R McHenry
Department of Surgery, MetroHealth Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, USA
J Am Coll Surg 195:364-71. 2002
- Nerve sheath tumors of the sellar regionSumedha Bhagat
Department of Neuro Ophthalmology, Institute of Neurological Sciences, South Glasgow University Hospitals, NHS Trust, Scotland
J Neuroophthalmol 22:275-8. 2002..Nerve sheath tumors, including schwannomas and neurofibromas, rarely affect the sellar region. The authors report two such cases that were mistaken for pituitary adenomas on the basis of clinical and imaging features...
- Otolaryngologic critical careArvind Bansal
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York NY 10128, USA
Crit Care Clin 19:55-72. 2003..Intensivists need to be familiar with these procedures and diseases. Collaboration with the surgical specialist is required to optimize patient care...
- Recent advances in minimally invasive endocrine surgeryQuan Yang Duh
Department of Surgery, UCSF Advanced Videoscopic Surgery Center, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Asian J Surg 26:62-3. 2003
- Timing and special concerns regarding endocrine surgery during pregnancySusan Sam
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 32:337-54. 2003..The best outcome is achieved by a multidisciplinary approach consisting of endocrinology, obstetrics, anesthesiology, and endocrine surgery...
- Robotic renal and adrenal surgeryGyung Tak Sung
Department of Urology, Dong A University Hospital, 3Ga 1, Dongdaesin Dong, Seo Gu, Busan, South Korea
Surg Clin North Am 83:1469-82. 2003..There remain, however, many areas which need to be further improved and evaluated before clinical applications of the robot become accepted in adrenal and renal minimally invasive surgery...
- Surgical treatment of insulinomasEmily Finlayson
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco Comprehensive Cancer Center at Mount Zion Medical Center, 1600 Divisadero Street, Hellman Building, Room C3 47 San Francisco, California 94143 1674, USA
Surg Clin North Am 84:775-85. 2004..Laparoscopy is a viable alternative to open tumor resection; laparoscopic ultrasound can facilitate localization and guide safe resection...
- Hyperfunctioning parathyroid cysts: a case reportH Altun
Department of General Surgery, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 104:234-6. 2004..Palpable thyroid nodule was diagnosed as cystic parathyroid adenoma postoperatively. When a cystic lesion is found in the neck of a patient, a pararthyroid cyst should be considered...
- Determining when to operate on patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis with nodular lesions: the role of ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytologyDeng Huang Su
Far Eastern Polyclinic, Chung Hsiao Municipal Hospital, Taipei City, Taiwan
Acta Cytol 48:622-9. 2004..To elucidate the role of ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) in determining whether to request an operation...
- Need for intrasellar packing in sellar reconstruction of transsphenoidal surgery: less is more?Hsien Chih Chen
Department of Neurosurgery, Chang Gung University and Memorial Hospital, 222, Mai Chin Road, Keelung 204, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Clin Neurosci 13:423-7. 2006..This study investigated patients with pituitary macroadenomas who received transsphenoidal surgery using two different sellar reconstruction methods, to determine the need for intrasellar packing...
- An update: the operative experience in adrenal, pancreatic, and other less common endocrine diseases of U.S. general surgery residentsDavid Le
Department of Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
World J Surg 32:232-6. 2008..A prior study that examined the operative experience of general surgery residents in endocrine surgery for the academic years 1986-1987 to 1993-1994 found this training to be inadequate due to low operative volume...
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndromesKenji Fujieda
Department of PediatricsAsahikawa Medical CollegeAsahikawa, Japan
Horm Res 68:100. 2007
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2: 2007 updateFriedhelm Raue
Horm Res 68:101-4. 2007..Each variant of MEN-2 results from a different RET gene mutation, with a good genotype-phenotype correlation...
- Health services research in endocrine surgerySanziana Roman
Section of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Curr Opin Oncol 20:47-51. 2008..We review recent health services research studies examining clinical and economic outcomes in endocrine surgery...
- Endocrine surgical aspects of multiple endocrine neoplasia syndromes in childrenBarney Harrison
Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Horm Res 68:105-6. 2007..When MTC has already developed, a therapeutic intervention is required...
- Soft tissue implantation of thyroid adenomatous hyperplasia after endoscopic thyroid surgeryYong Sang Lee
Department of Surgery, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Thyroid 18:483-4. 2008
- [The 10th Congress of Asia Association of Endocrine Surgeons (Hong Kong, March 11-17, 2006)]A F Romanchishen
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 166:98-101. 2007
- Thyroid and parathyroid operations in veterans affairs and selected university medical centers: results of the patient safety in surgery studyBruce Lee Hall
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Am Coll Surg 204:1222-34. 2007..Relative outcomes performance for the Veterans Affairs (VA) and private-sector populations was compared after risk adjustment...
- [Endocrinologic surgery in change]Jan Erik Varhaug
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 127:1174. 2007
- [Insulinoma]Robert Krysiak
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Silesian Medical University of Katowice, Poland
Pol Merkur Lekarski 22:70-4. 2007..The only curative treatment for insulinoma is complete resection of the tumour. The aim of this paper is to critically discuss contemporary diagnosis and treatment of this neoplasm on the basis of progress made in recent years...
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia syndromesGlenda G Callender
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1400 Holcombe Boulevard, Unit 444, Houston, TX, USA
Surg Clin North Am 88:863-95, viii. 2008..This article reviews the clinical features, diagnosis, and surgical management of the various MEN syndromes and genetic risk assessment for patients presenting with one or more endocrine neoplasms...
- Seminars: local and regional anesthesia for thyroid surgeryNimmi Arora
Department of Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Surg Oncol 94:708-13. 2006..Over the past decade, there has been a renewed interest in the art of performing thyroidectomy under local/regional anesthesia in some specialized high volume endocrine surgery centers...
- [Persistent leukocytosis and hyperglycemia]F J Sanjuan Portugal
Unidad de Medicina Interna, Fundacion Hospital Calahorra, Calahorra, La Rioja, Espana
Rev Clin Esp 206:461-3. 2006
- How we do it: Changes in thyroid and salivary gland surgery since 1989: who's doing it and what are they doing?J P Hughes
Clin Otolaryngol 31:443-6. 2006..There also seems to be changes in the types of thyroid operation being performed; with large increases in total thyroidectomy and reductions in subtotal thyroidectomies...
- [The impact of the extent and time of operation on the survival in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC)]Agnieszka Czarniecka
Centre of Oncology, Maria Sklodowska Curie Memorial Institute, Branch Gliwice, Gliwice
Endokrynol Pol 57:347-55. 2006..To analyze the impact of time and extent of operation on overall and disease-free survival in patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC)...
- Chyle fistula in right cervical area after thyroid surgeryPablo Priego Jiménez
Department of General Surgery, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 10:593-6. 2008..Optimal treatment of these patients is unclear, without a clear limit between conservative and surgical treatment...
- Surgery after pancreatic trauma: less and later. What we can learn from acute pancreatitisErnest Klar
Pancreatology 2:363-4. 2002
- Post-surgical hypocortisolism after removal of an adrenal incidentaloma: is it predictable by an accurate endocrinological work-up before surgery?Cristina Eller-Vainicher
Department of Medical Sciences, University of Milan, Fondazione Policlinico IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 162:91-9. 2010..It is unknown whether, before surgery, the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis secretion parameters can predict post-surgical hypocortisolism...
- BENEFITS OF TESTOSTERONE ON STRENGTH IN ELDERLY MENLaurence Katznelson; Fiscal Year: 2002..The goal of these studies will be to determine the efficacy and safety of testosterone administration and, additionally, a home-based exercise program on muscle function in older men with relative testosterone insufficiency. ..
- Skin Cooling to Improve Orthostatic ToleranceCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Neural and non-neural modulators of skin blood flow and sweating in humansCRAIG CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..e. diabetes, heart failure, etc) and non-disease (i.e. aging) conditions. ..