Summary: Surgical creation of an external opening into the ILEUM for fecal diversion or drainage. This replacement for the RECTUM is usually created in patients with severe INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASES. Loop (continent) or tube (incontinent) procedures are most often employed.
Publications188 found, 100 shown here
- Complications of loop ileostomy closure: a retrospective cohort analysis of 123 patientsS D Mansfield
Department of General Surgery, North Tyneside General Hospital, Rake Lane, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE29 8NH, UK
World J Surg 32:2101-6. 2008..Loop ileostomies are often formed in order to defunction distal anastomoses. The aim of this study was to review the complications following closure of loop ileostomies...
- Loop ileostomy (decompression type) using polytetrafluroethyleneSeyed Vahid Hosseini
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Gastroenterohepatology Research Center, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, P.O. Box 71345-1744, Shiraz, Iran
Arch Iran Med 9:410-2. 2006
- Comparison of stapled versus handsewn loop ileostomy closure: a meta-analysisTerry T W Leung
Department of Surgery, University of Calgary, Room 1014, North Tower, Foothills Medical Centre, 1403 29 St NW, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 2T9
J Gastrointest Surg 12:939-44. 2008..in Embase, PubMed, and Cochrane Database for Clinical Trials using search terms "closure," "loop ileostomy," and "stapled" was performed...
- Complications of construction and closure of temporary loop ileostomyOrit Kaidar-Person
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston 33331, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:759-73. 2005
- Stoma-related complications are more frequent after transverse colostomy than loop ileostomy: a prospective randomized clinical trialD P Edwards
Colorectal Research Unit, North Hampshire Hospital, Aldermaston Road, Basingstoke RG24 9NA, UK
Br J Surg 88:360-3. 2001..Controversy continues as to whether loop ileostomy (LI) or loop transverse colostomy (LTC) is the optimal method of defunctioning such anastomoses...
- Iron supplements inhibit zinc but not copper absorption in vivo in ileostomy subjectsFreddy J Troost
Department of Human Biology, NUTRIM, Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 78:1018-23. 2003..Iron supplements may inhibit intestinal zinc and copper uptake because these elements may compete for binding to a transporter molecule (divalent metal transporter 1) that is located on the apical side of the small intestinal epithelium...
- Stapled ileostomy closure results in reduction of postoperative morbidityY A Shelygin
Department of Rectal Cancer Surgery, State Research Center of Coloproctology, Salyam Adyl st 2, 123423, Moscow, Russia
Tech Coloproctol 14:19-23. 2010Loop ileostomy is widely employed as a defunctioning procedure for left-sided colonic anastomoses. Closure of the stoma carries a risk of morbidity and even mortality...
- The outcome of loop ileostomy closure: a prospective studyL A Williams
Department of Colorectal Surgery, The General Infirmary at Leeds, Leeds, UK
Colorectal Dis 10:460-4. 2008The use of a loop ileostomy is an effective method to protect pelvic anastomoses, although there is some debate as to the routine use of a stoma. A second operation is required to close the stoma, with potential complications.
- Randomized clinical trial comparing loop ileostomy and loop transverse colostomy for faecal diversion following total mesorectal excisionW L Law
Department of Surgery, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
Br J Surg 89:704-8. 2002BACKGROUND: The aim of this study was to compare loop ileostomy and loop transverse colostomy as the preferred mode of faecal diversion following low anterior resection with total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer...
- Complications of loop ileostomy closure in patients with rectal tumorTakashi Akiyoshi
Gastroenterological Center, Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Cancer Institute Ariake Hospital, 3 10 6 Ariake, Koto ku, Tokyo, 135 8550, Japan
World J Surg 34:1937-42. 2010Loop ileostomy is customary after very low rectal anastomosis to reduce the rate of pelvic sepsis that can result from anastomotic leakage...
- The outcome after restorative proctocolectomy with or without defunctioning ileostomyFeza H Remzi
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 49:470-7. 2006Controversy exists regarding the safety for omission of diverting ileostomy in restorative proctocolectomy because of fears of increased septic complications...
- Loop ileostomy closure: comparison of cost effectiveness between suture and staplerKaroline Horisberger
Department of Visceral Surgery and Medicine, Bern University Hospital, University of Bern, 3010, Bern, Switzerland
World J Surg 34:2867-71. 2010Closure of loop ileostomy can be safely performed using sutures or staplers. The aim of the present study was to compare the cost effectiveness of three different techniques.
- Loop ileostomy versus loop colostomy for fecal diversion after colorectal or coloanal anastomosis: a meta-analysisF Rondelli
Department of General and Oncologic Surgery, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:479-88. 2009..In order to reduce leakage-related complications, surgeons often perform a derivative stoma, a loop ileostomy (LI), or a loop colostomy (LC), but to date, there is no evidence on which is the better technique to adopt.
- Loop ileostomy versus loop colostomy for defunctioning low anastomoses during rectal cancer surgeryE Rullier
Department of Digestive Surgery, Saint Andre Hospital, 1 rue Jean Burguet, 33075 Bordeaux, France
World J Surg 25:274-7; discussion 277-8. 2001Several studies have compared loop ileostomy with loop colostomy to defunction colorectal anastomoses. The discordant results may be due to the heterogeneity of the indications...
- Factors associated with failure in managing pelvic sepsis after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA)--a multivariate analysisIsmail Sagap
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Surgery 140:691-703; discussion 703-4. 2006..Failure was defined as pouch failure, the need for a permanent ileostomy, or mortality as a result of sepsis. There were 157 patients (6.2%) with pelvic sepsis after IPAA...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the role of defunctioning stoma in low rectal cancer surgeryNorbert Hüser
Department of Surgery, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Ann Surg 248:52-60. 2008..The role of a defunctioning stoma in patients undergoing low anterior resection for rectal cancer is still the subject of controversy. Recent studies suggest reduced morbidity after low anterior rectal resection with a defunctioning stoma...
- Effects of treatment with glucagon-like peptide-2 on bone resorption in colectomized patients with distal ileostomy or jejunostomy and short-bowel syndromeIda B Gottschalck
Sanos Bioscience, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:1304-10. 2008..PTH secretion in response to GLP-2 was also investigated in colectomized SBS patients and colectomized controls (with ileostomy).
- Bioavailability of polyphenon E flavan-3-ols in humans with an ileostomyCyril Auger
Plant Products and Human Nutrition Group, Division of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
J Nutr 138:1535S-1542S. 2008To investigate the degree of absorption of flavan-3-ols in the small intestine, human subjects with an ileostomy ingested 200 mg of Polyphenon E, a green tea extract, after which ileal fluid and urine, collected over a 24-h period, were ..
- Timely closure of loop ileostomy following anterior resection for rectal cancerM Chand
Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 17:611-5. 2008The implications of constructing a temporary ileostomy as part of the primary surgery for some rectal cancers must not be underestimated and many patients are particularly keen to have their stoma closed as early as possible...
- The value of diverting loop ileostomy on the high-risk colon and rectal anastomosisTimothy W Bax
Surgical Specialists of Spokane, 105 W 8th Avenue, Suite 7060, Spokane, WA 99203, USA
Am J Surg 193:585-7; discussion 587-8. 2007..This study was designed to evaluate the potential benefits and complications of diverting loop ileostomies in a high-risk anastomosis population...
- Clostridium difficile enteritis: a cause for high ileostomy outputMohammad Sami H El Muhtaseb
ANZ J Surg 78:416. 2008
- K-ras mutation and loss of heterozygosity at 17p with beta-catenin accumulation in intramucosal carcinoma of the ileostomy in familial adenomatous polyposis: a case reportKeisuke Hata
Department of Surgical Oncology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 48:2310-4. 2003
- A prospective audit of the complications of loop ileostomy construction and takedownS A García-Botello
Colorectal Surgery Unit, Hospital Clinico, University of Valencia, Spain
Dig Surg 21:440-6. 2004A prospective review of the complications of ileostomy construction and takedown.
- Quantification of isotope-labelled and unlabelled folates in plasma, ileostomy and food samplesBarbara E Büttner
Division BIOANALYTIK Weihenstephan, Research Center for Nutrition and Food Sciences Z I E L, Technische Universitat Munchen, 85350 Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 399:429-39. 2011..e. plasma, ileostomy samples, and food. The methods were based on clean-up by strong anion exchange followed by LC-MS/MS detection...
- Loop ileostomy closure after restorative proctocolectomy: outcome in 1,504 patientsKutt-Sing Wong
Department of Colorectal Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 48:243-50. 2005PURPOSE: Routine use of a temporary loop ileostomy for diversion after restorative proctocolectomy is controversial because of reported morbidity associated with its creation and closure...
- Quality of life after low anterior resection and temporary loop ileostomyAkira Tsunoda
Department of General and Gastroenterological Surgery, Showa University School of Medicine, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8666, Japan
Dis Colon Rectum 51:218-22. 2008..This study was designed to evaluate the quality of life in patients undergoing low anterior resection with a temporary ileostomy.
- Folate absorption from folate-fortified and processed foods using a human ileostomy modelCornelia M Witthöft
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7051, SE 75007 Uppsala, Sweden
Br J Nutr 95:181-7. 2006..The aim of the present work was to study the effects from fortified and processed foods on folate absorption in ileostomy volunteers (n 9) using the area under the plasma concentration curve (AUC) and kinetic modelling...
- T-tube ileostomy for intestinal perforation in extremely low birth weight neonatesM Rygl
Department of Pediatric Surgery, 2nd Faculty of Medicine and Teaching Hospital in Motol, Institute of Postgraduate Medicine, Charles University, V Uvalu 84, Prague 5, Czech Republic
Pediatr Surg Int 23:685-8. 2007To evaluate the results of use of T-tube ileostomy in selected cases of intestinal perforation in extremely low birth weight (ELBW) neonates...
- Intestinal absorption of different types of folate in healthy subjects with an ileostomyErik J M Konings
Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute NUTRIM, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 88:235-42. 2002..Folate absorption was determined in healthy ileostomy volunteers (n 11) using a single-dose short-term protocol...
- Successful local excision of ileostomy adenocarcinoma after colectomy for familial adenomatous polyposis: report of a caseToshiro Iizuka
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Toranomon Hospital, 2-2-2 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0001, Japan
Surg Today 32:638-41. 2002Primary adenocarcinoma rarely develops at the site of an ileostomy performed for ulcerative colitis (UC), familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), or Crohn's disease...
- Sushi-roll wrap of Seprafilm for ileostomy limbs facilitates ileostomy closureY J Kawamura
Department of Surgery, Saitama Medical Center, Jichi Medical University, Omiya ku, Saitama, Japan
Tech Coloproctol 13:211-4. 2009Sodium hyaluronate and carboxymethylcellulose membrane (Seprafilm) reduced postoperative intraabdominal adhesion. In this study, we examined whether Seprafilm reduces operative difficulties in ileostomy closure.
- Postoperative morbidity with diversion after low anterior resection in the era of neoadjuvant therapy: a single institution experienceVassiliki L Tsikitis
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Coll Surg 209:114-8. 2009....
- Temporary transverse colostomy vs loop ileostomy in diversion: a case-matched studyY Sakai
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Surg 136:338-42. 2001HYPOTHESIS: For temporary fecal diversion, transverse colostomy (TC) has superior safety, but loop ileostomy (LI) has superior management qualities...
- Defunctioning loop ileostomy and stapled side-to-side closure has low morbidityS N Amin
Department of Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 83:246-9. 2001..Therefore, defunctioning loop ileostomies are being increasingly fashioned to protect against the consequences of a leak. However, the reported complication rates of such stoma creation and closure is between 5.7-69%...
- [Quality of life in patients treated with orthotopic bladder substitution versus cutaneous ileostomy]C Conde Redondo
, Hospital Universitario Rio Hortega, Valladolid
Actas Urol Esp 25:435-44. 2001..CONCLUSION: Health-related quality of life is higher after bladder substitution. In our opinion we should use bladder substitution as the standard method of diversion after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer...
- Enteral Clostridium difficile, an emerging cause for high-output ileostomyR N Williams
Department of Surgery, Leicester Royal Infirmary, University Hospitals Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester, UK
J Clin Pathol 62:951-3. 2009The loss of fluid and electrolytes from a high-output ileostomy (>1200 ml/day) can quickly result in dehydration and if not properly managed may cause acute renal failure...
- Bioavailability of anthocyanins and ellagitannins following consumption of raspberries by healthy humans and subjects with an ileostomyRocío González-Barrio
Graham Kerr Building, Division of Developmental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
J Agric Food Chem 58:3933-9. 2010..was studied following the consumption of 300 g of raspberries by healthy human volunteers and subjects with an ileostomy. Postingestion plasma and urine from the former and ileal fluid and urine from the latter group were collected ..
- Human ileostomy glycoproteins as a model for small intestinal mucus to investigate adhesion of probioticsE M Tuomola
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, University of Turku, Finland
Lett Appl Microbiol 28:159-63. 1999Human ileostomy glycoproteins were used as a model for small intestinal mucus to investigate the adhesion of 12 Lactobacillus strains, one Lactococcus strain and one Propionibacterium strain, Both probiotic and dairy strains were tested...
- Diverting stoma after low anterior resection: more arguments in favorAlexis B Ulrich
Department of General Surgery, Visceral Surgery, and Transplantation Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 52:412-8. 2009..We conducted a randomized, controlled, pilot-study to evaluate the need for diverting ileostomy in patients undergoing low anterior resection [NCT00457327].
- Absorption, metabolism, and excretion of green tea flavan-3-ols in humans with an ileostomyAngelique Stalmach
Division of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology, Faculty of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Mol Nutr Food Res 54:323-34. 2010Green tea containing 634 micromol of flavan-3-ols was ingested by human subjects with an ileostomy. Ileal fluid, plasma, and urine collected 0-24 h after ingestion were analysed by HPLC-MS...
- Randomized clinical trial of short-term outcomes following purse-string versus conventional closure of ileostomy woundsK Reid
Department of Colorectal Surgery, John Hunter Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Br J Surg 97:1511-7. 2010b>Ileostomy closure is an operation with an underappreciated morbidity, including surgical-site infection, small bowel obstruction and anastomotic leakage...
- Folate bioavailability from breads and a meal assessed with a human stable-isotope area under the curve and ileostomy modelVeronica E Ohrvik
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 92:532-8. 2010..Recent data revealed differences in human absorption kinetics and metabolism between food folates and folic acid supplements and fortificant...
- Bioresorbable adhesion barrier facilitates early closure of the defunctioning ileostomy after rectal excision: a prospective, randomized trialChoong-Leong Tang
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Dis Colon Rectum 46:1200-7. 2003INTRODUCTION: A temporary loop ileostomy is often created to minimize the impact of peritoneal sepsis from an anastomotic dehiscence after a coloanal or low colorectal anastomosis...
- Morbidity and complications of protective loop ileostomyG F Giannakopoulos
Department of Surgery, VU Medical Center, HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Colorectal Dis 11:609-12. 2009The creation of a loop ileostomy is considered suitable to protect a distal anastomosis in colorectal surgery. This technique is, however, associated with failure, complications and even mortality...
- Risk factors for anastomotic failure after total mesorectal excision of rectal cancerK C M J Peeters
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 92:211-6. 2005..CONCLUSION: Placement of one or more pelvic drains after TME may limit the consequences of anastomotic failure. The clinical decision to construct a defunctioning stoma is supported by this study...
- Ileal pouch-anal anastomosis, conventional ileostomy and ileorectal anastomosis modify cholesterol metabolismMarkku J Nissinen
Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Dig Dis Sci 49:1444-53. 2004..balance technique were analyzed in human subjects with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (n = 34), conventional ileostomy (n = 8), ileorectostomy (n = 6), and controls (n = 29)...
- Intestinal diversion (colostomy or ileostomy) in patients with severe bowel dysfunction following spinal cord injuryBarbara Hocevar
Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs 35:159-66. 2008..Gastrointestinal symptoms are associated with depression, anxiety, and significant impairments in quality of life (QOL) in a significant portion of persons with SCI...
- Oat bran rapidly increases bile acid excretion and bile acid synthesis: an ileostomy studyL Ellegard
Department of Clinical Nutrition, The Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Göteborg, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 61:938-45. 2007..To study whether oat bran with native beta-glucans increases bile acid excretion and bile acid synthesis as measured by serum concentrations of 7alpha-hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one (7alpha-HC)...
- Adenocarcinoma developing at an ileostomy: report of a case and review of the literaturePhilip P Metzger
Department of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 51:604-9. 2008Primary adenocarcinoma of a permanent ileostomy is a rare and unusual complication. We report a case of primary adenocarcinoma arising at an ileostomy site 46 years after total proctocolectomy for Crohn's colitis...
- Does sodium hyaluronate- and carboxymethylcellulose-based bioresorbable membrane (Seprafilm) decrease operative time for loop ileostomy closure?M Salum
Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Tech Coloproctol 10:187-90; discussion 190-1. 2006Adhesions can result in serious clinical complications and make ileostomy closure, which is relatively simple procedure into a complicated and prolonged one...
- Outcome of parastomal hernia repair with and without midline laparotomyM K Baig
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd, Weston, FL, USA
Tech Coloproctol 10:282-6. 2006..It may not be feasible in patients with significant intraabdominal adhesions...
- Protective defunctioning stoma in low anterior resection for rectal carcinomaI Gastinger
Institute for Quality Management in Operative Medicine at the Otto-von-Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Br J Surg 92:1137-42. 2005..The morbidity and mortality rates associated with ileostomy and colostomy closure were compared. RESULTS: Eight hundred and eighty-one (32...
- A defunctioning ileostomy does not prevent clinical anastomotic leak after a low anterior resection: a prospective, comparative studyN Y Wong
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Dis Colon Rectum 48:2076-9. 2005Defunctioning ileostomy or colostomy is still routinely performed after low anterior resection in the belief that diverting the fecal stream will prevent anastomotic dehiscence...
- Total laparoscopic proctocolectomy with Brooke ileostomy: a novel incisionless surgical treatment for patients with ulcerative colitisD W Larson
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery Mayo Clinic Rochester, Mayo Clinic, Gonda 9 S, 200 Fisrt Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Surg Endosc 19:1284-7. 2005..This report describes the clinical benefits and safety of a novel (incisionless) laparoscopic operation for chronic ulcerative colitis...
- Development and validation of a quality of life questionnaire for patients with colostomy or ileostomyLuis Prieto
Health Qual Life Outcomes 3:62. 2005..The aim of this paper is to describe the development and validation of a quality-of-life instrument, "Stoma-QOL", specifically for patients with colostomy or ileostomy.
- Subcutaneous gentamycin implant to reduce wound infections after loop-ileostomy closure: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialO Haase
Department of General, Visceral, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 48:2025-31. 2005After loop-ileostomy closure subcutaneous wound infection is the most frequent postoperative complication...
- Will recommended changes in fat and fibre intake affect cholesterol absorption and sterol excretion? An ileostomy studyL Ellegard
Department of Clinical Nutrition, University of Goteborg, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, S 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 54:306-13. 2000To study cholesterol absorption and excretion in ileostomy subjects with different intakes of saturated fat and dietary fibre.
- Anastomotic leak and the loop ileostomy: friend or foe?Traci L Hedrick
Department of Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22901, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1167-76. 2006..This study was designed to evaluate the use of proximal diversion and surgical drainage as an alternative to anastomotic resection in the operative management of patients with anastomotic complications...
- Phytosterol and phytostanol esters are effectively hydrolysed in the gut and do not affect fat digestion in ileostomy subjectsL Normén
Dept of Clinical Nutrition, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Nutr 45:165-70. 2006..Hydrolysis of phytosterol ester (PSTE) and phytostanol ester (PSTA) during fat digestion is not well characterised under controlled dietary conditions...
- Morbidity of temporary loop ileostomy in patients with colorectal cancerAndreas Thalheimer
Department of General Surgery, University of Wurzburg, Oberduerrbacherstrasse 6, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1011-7. 2006This study was designed to quantify the temporary loop ileostomy-related morbidity in patients with colorectal cancer and contrast the morbidity rates after ileostomy closure before, during, and after the start of adjuvant therapy.
- Comparison of outcomes following ileostomy versus colostomy for defunctioning colorectal anastomosesHenry S Tilney
Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, Imperial College London, London, UK
World J Surg 31:1142-51. 2007The present study evaluated outcomes of patients undergoing proximal diversion using either a loop ileostomy or loop colostomy following distal colorectal resection for malignant and non-malignant disease.
- Lymphoma in an ileostomyN Pranesh
Department of Surgery, Milton Keynes General Hospital, Standing Way, Eaglestone, Milton Keynes MK6 5LD, UK
Postgrad Med J 78:368-9. 2002Lymphoma developing in an ileostomy is an extremely rare complication. The presentation is similar to the commoner, yet still rare, adenocarcinoma but the staging and management of the condition differs.
- Promising new technique in the repair of parastomal herniaB M E Hansson
Department of Surgery, University Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Surg Endosc 17:1789-91. 2003..The risk of infection is also minimized. The shape of the Gore-Tex mesh reduces hernia recurrence even more, prevents prolapse, and allows easy colonoscopy and stoma irrigation...
- Intervention with cloudy apple juice results in altered biological activities of ileostomy samples collected from individual volunteersSelvaraju Veeriah
Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Eur J Nutr 47:226-34. 2008..Apple juice is considered to be an important component of the healthy diet, with anticancer activities in colon cancer animal models and key ingredients have numerous chemoprotective activities in human colon cells in vitro...
- Laparoscopically assisted colectomy and ileoanal pouch procedure with and without protective ileostomyP Kienle
Surgical Department, University of Heidelberg, INF 110, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Surg Endosc 17:716-20. 2003Apart from an obviously better cosmetic situation, there is controversy on the actual benefit of laparoscopic and laparoscopically assisted techniques in restorative proctocolectomy. The need for a protective ileostomy remains unclear.
- What concerns subjects with inflammatory bowel disease and an ileostomy?E Carlsson
Colorectal Unit, Dept of Surgery, University of Goteborg, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 38:978-84. 2003The greatest concern of patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is of having an ileostomy. The aim of this study was to describe worries and concerns in subjects with IBD and an ileostomy, and aspects of quality of life and coping ..
- A defunctioning stoma in the treatment of lower third rectal carcinomaD Giuliani
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery, ZNA Middelheim, Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 106:40-3. 2006..The construction of a defunctioning stoma helps in limiting the complications of anastomotic leakage or failure...
- [Acute cytomegalovirus colitis after bone marrow transplantation]Mohamed Aziz Hani
, , Tunis, Tunisie
Tunis Med 81:145-8. 2003..An emergency subtotal colectomy with sigmoidostomy and ileostomy was performed followed six weeks later by an ileorectal anastomosis...
- Outcome of familial adenomatous polyposis: a retrospective studyChucheep Sahakitrungruang
Colorectal Division, Department of Surgery, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 89:S155-60. 2006..Following colorectal cancer, periampullary cancer and aggressive desmoid tumor are also the common causes of death. The purpose of the present study was to describe the clinical course of FAP patients...
- A prospective audit of stomas--analysis of risk factors and complications and their managementP J Arumugam
Colorectal Unit, Singleton Hospital, Sketty, Swansea SA2 8QA, UK
Colorectal Dis 5:49-52. 2003..To prospectively audit stomas and to determine the nature and rate of complications and their relationship with various risk factors and their management...
- The interrupted serosubmucosal anastomosis - still the gold standardA Leslie
Department of Surgery and Molecular Oncology, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Colorectal Dis 5:362-6. 2003..This report describes the results of these operations, the results of stapled anastomoses carried out during the same period and discusses the utility of the handsewn technique...
- Is an ileal pouch an alternative for patients requiring surgery for Crohn's proctocolitis?G G Delaini
Department of Surgery and Gastroenterology, Policlinico G B Rossi, University of Verona, Piazzale L A Scuro 1, I 37135 Verona, Italy
Tech Coloproctol 9:222-4. 2005Most surgeons consider Crohn's colitis to be an absolute contraindication for a continent ileostomy, due to high complication and failure rates. This opinion may, however, be erroneous...
- Durability of Kock continent ileostomyAnna H Lepistö
Department of Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Dis Colon Rectum 46:925-8. 2003The purpose of this study was to determine the cumulative success rate of Kock continent ileostomy and the reasons leading to excision and to compare the results with pelvic pouch and ileal pouch-anal anastomosis.
- Increasing anastomosis safety and preventing abdominal adhesion formation by the use of polypeptides in the ratBobby Tingstedt
Department of Surgery, Centre of Chemistry and Clinical Engineering, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Int J Colorectal Dis 21:566-72. 2006..The aim of the study was to develop a concept of preventing postoperative adhesions using differently charged bioactive polypeptides, also considering healing and safety of an intestinal anastomosis...
- [Early stoma closure in colorectal resections after endoscopic monitoring of the anastomosis. Clinical results]Sergio Gentilli
Clinica Chirurgica Università Amedeo Avogadro Piemonte Orientale, Novara
Chir Ital 59:507-12. 2007The need for a protection of a colo-colonic or colorectal anastomosis (by a colostomy or ileostomy) does not always encounter a general consensus except in selected clinical settings such as a low or ultra-low colorectal anastomosis or a ..
- Colectomy and the incidence of postsurgical complications among ulcerative colitis patients with private health insurance in the United StatesEdward V Loftus
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1737-45. 2008..We sought to describe the types of colectomy, follow-up surgical/diagnostic procedures, and complications occurring within 180 days of colectomy in a population of privately insured individuals with ulcerative colitis (UC)...
- [Pelvic posterior exenteration with immediate colo-rectal anastomosis: is it justified and feasible in advanced stage ovarian carcinoma?]M Buttarelli
Service de Chirurgie Oncologique 2, Institut Paoli Calmettes, 232, boulevard Sainte Marguerite, BP 156, 13273 Marseille Cedex 09, France
Ann Chir 131:431-6. 2006..The aim of this study is to show that the removal of the rectum is not an obstacle to implement an optimal surgery in advanced epithelial cancer of the ovary...
- Crohn's disease-associated colorectal cancer in Japan: report of four casesTadataka Hayashi
Second Department of Surgery, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, 1 20 1 Handayama, Higashi ku, Hamamatsu, Shizuoka, 431 3192, Japan
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:1537-42. 2007..CASE 2: A 30-year-old Japanese man had a 13-year history of ileocolon CD. He had a history of an ileostomy, a subtotal colectomy, and ileo-rectal anastomosis...
- [Surgical approach is toxic colitis]K H Vestweber
Klinikum Leverkusen, , 51375 Leverkusen
Kongressbd Dtsch Ges Chir Kongr 119:67-72. 2002..option for toxic colitis usually is subtotal colectomy with closure of the rectal stump or mucus fistula and ileostomy. This procedure allows the reconstructive operation later on...
- [Esophagus replacement with anisoperistaltic left colon after removal of skin tube cancer]Tamás Fekecs
Sebészeti Klinika, Pecs
Magy Seb 59:437-40. 2006..Authors would like to present that esophageal replacement with anisoperistaltic left colon is a feasible method if no other therapeutic option remains...
- Tissue-engineered colon exhibits function in vivoTracy C Grikscheit
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Center for the Integration of Medicine and Innovation in Technology, Boston 02114, USA
Surgery 132:200-4. 2002..This group was compared with end-ileostomy alone...
- [Ileoanal anastomosis without ileostomy... and without laparotomy?]Yves Panis
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 26:665-6. 2002
- [Ileal pouch anal-anastomosis without protective ileostomy]Benoît Michel Gignoux
Centre de Chirurgie Digestive, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 26:671-4. 2002..for ulcerative colitis (UC) or familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP) is usually associated with a defunctioning ileostomy, which may in itself cause morbidity...
- Laparoscopy-assisted stoma closureGo Miyano
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:395-8. 2007..The aim of this study was to describe our improved technique for stoma closure, laparoscopy-assisted stoma closure (LASC)...
- Surgical management of Crohn's colitisChristopher R Moir
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Semin Pediatr Surg 16:178-84. 2007..Recent success with less extensive surgery offers renewed hope for children with intractable colonic disease...
- [Protective colostomy or ileostomy?] ]M Popovic
I Hirurska klinika, Institut za bolesti digestivnog sistema Univerzitetski klinicki centar, Beograd
Acta Chir Iugosl 48:39-42. 2001..or coloanal anastomosis after resection was performed together with concomitant covering colostomy (102) or ileostomy (25), during the period 1985-2000. Covering colostomy was most often performed upon hepatic flexure (82...
- Emergency left colon resection for acute perforation: primary anastomosis or Hartmann's procedure? A case-matched control studyStefan Breitenstein
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital, Ramistrasse 100, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
World J Surg 31:2117-24. 2007..The optimal treatment remains controversial for acute left-sided colon perforation. Therefore, the effectiveness and safety of primary anastomosis versus Hartmann's operation (HP) was compared in a case-matched control study...
- [Surgical management of inflammatory bowel diseases]Béla Lestár
Szent Rókus Kórház, Sebészi Osztály, Szegedi Tudomanyegyetem, Szent Györgyi Albert Orvos és Gyógyszerésztudományi Centrum, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, I Belgyógyászati Klinika
Orv Hetil 145:51-8. 2004..applied surgical alternatives to the ulcerative colitis they discuss the traditional proctocolectomy with end-ileostomy, the Kock-reservoir (as continent stoma), as well as the restorative proctocolectomy which is sufficient to ..
- Loop ileostomy morbidity: timing of closure mattersRodrigo Oliva Perez
Institute of Colorectal Surgery, Rua Manuel da Nóbrega 1564, 04001 005 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1539-45. 2006Diverting stomas are commonly performed during ileoanal and coloanal anastomoses. We studied a series of patients after loop ileostomy closure to determine risk factors and the impact of the interval from primary operation on morbidity.
- Predictors for complications after loop stoma closure in patients with rectal cancerHerwig Pokorny
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Vienna, 21A Währinger Gürtel 18 20, 1090, Vienna, Austria
World J Surg 30:1488-93. 2006..This unmatched case control study was undertaken to evaluate factors contributing to surgery-related complications of loop stoma closure in patients with rectal cancer...
- [Surgical strategies in patients with inflammatory bowel disease]M Von Flue
Chirurgische Klinik A, Kantonsspital Luzern, Luzern
Ther Umsch 60:165-73. 2003..Best profit for those patients are treatment with an interdisciplinary team, consisting of gastroenterologists, nutrition advisers, psychologists, surgeons and radiologists...
- A new ileal pouch salvage techniqueJ L Faucheron
Department of Surgery, Albert Michallon University Hospital, BP 217, 38043 Grenoble, France
Dis Colon Rectum 44:1891-4. 2001..We describe a technique to treat and salvage a pouch involved in a chronic fistulating ileal J-pouch-anal anastomosis by disconnecting the pouch, turning it inside out after repair, and reanastomosing it to the dentate line...
- Laparoscopic total abdominal colectomy in the acute settingMichael R Marohn
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, and Malcolm Grow USAF Medical Center, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 9:881-6; discussion 887. 2005..This subgroup was managed with laparoscopic total abdominal colectomy and Brooke ileostomy, with ileoanal pouch anastomosis deferred. Operative times were long, ranging from 6 to 11 hours...
- Secretory diarrhea owing to a tape bezoar in a child with Hirschsprung's diseaseMichael J Nowicki
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Blair E. Batson Children's Hospital, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
J Pediatr Surg 38:1670-2. 2003..The authors describe a young boy who had secretory diarrhea caused by an ileal bezoar composed of surgical adhesive tape. This report expands the literature on causes and presentation of intestinal bezoars in children...
- [Crohn's disease: current surgical treatment]Michel Malafosse
Bull Acad Natl Med 191:1143-56; discussion 1157-8. 2007..complicated by anoperineal lesions that compromise continence is usually treated by total coloproctectomy with final ileostomy. Sphincter conservation by ileoanal anastomosis is only possible in rare patients with colorectal CD.
- Temporary ileostomy versus temporary colostomy: a meta-analysis of complicationsPanuwat Lertsithichai
Department of Surgery, Ramathibodi Hospital Medical School, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Asian J Surg 27:202-10; discussion 211-2. 2004To compare the complications of temporary diverting ileostomy with those of temporary colostomy for patients with colorectal diseases.
- [Management of duodenal adenomatosis in patients with familial adenomatous polyposis]H Fawal
, Riad El-Solh, P.O.Box 11-6301, Beyrouth, Liban
Ann Chir 128:594-8. 2003..CONCLUSION: Duodenal adenomas may recur or progress into malignant degeneration under conservative treatment. The pancreaticoduodenectomy is an acceptable solution for stage 4 of Spigelman, especially when severe dysplasia is present...
- [Surgical treatment in ulcerative rectocolitis . Analysis of a 24 years experience of 50 patients]M Ionescu
, Institutul Clinic Fundeni
Chirurgia (Bucur) 99:125-35. 2004..In acute disease with complications we have performed total colectomy with terminal ileostomy, closure of the rectal stump, or exteriorization of the sigmoid stump in a mucous fistula...
- Effect of high-dose steroids on anastomotic complications after proctocolectomy with ileal pouch-anal anastomosisJeffrey P Lake
Department of Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 8:547-51. 2004..significant difference in complication rates with respect to age, steroid use, steroid dose, use of a diverting ileostomy, type of anastomosis, duration of disease, or presence of backwash ileitis...
- [Total colectomy with simultaneous ileorectostomy in severe nonspecific ulcerative colitis complicated by constriction of the rectum]N N Kanshin
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 163:94-6. 2004..None of the 72 patients had incompetence of the anastomosis. Follow-up observations during many years showed a rather high effect of the operation including the patients who had constriction of the rectum...
- Parastomal hernia repairN Rieger
The University Departments of Surgery, The Queen Elizabeth and Royal Adelaide Hospitals, Adelaide, South Australia
Colorectal Dis 6:203-5. 2004..The aim of this study was to audit the results of parastomal hernia repair...
- Acupuncture to Prevent Postoperative Paralytic lleusJOSEPH CHIANG; Fiscal Year: 2004..is effective in preventing postoperative paralytic ileus (PPI) among cancer survivors undergoing colostomy/ileostomy closure...
- Smart Seal Ostomy ApplianceJEFFREY SCHOESS; Fiscal Year: 2005..The pressing need to provide effective skin barriers for colostomy, ileostomy and urostomy patients, achieving an effective appliance seal is critical to physical and emotional well-being as ..
- Smart Seal Ostomy ApplianceJEFFREY SCHOESS; Fiscal Year: 2006..The pressing need to provide effective skin barriers for colostomy, ileostomy and urostomy patients, achieving an effective appliance seal is critical to physical and emotional well-being as ..
- HR-QOL in Colorectal Cancer Survivors with StomasRobert Krouse; Fiscal Year: 2006..The final step will be to convene provider investigators to make recommendations for future interventions and dissemination methods based upon study findings. ..
- Pilot study on the safety and efficacy of ciprofloxacin for prophylactic preventiHans Herfarth; Fiscal Year: 2007..therapy with either metronidazole or ornidazole or the absence of inflammation in patients with diverting ileostomy. However, both aforementioned antibiotic regimens have numerous adverse events limiting the value of this ..
- Smart Seal Ostomy ApplianceJEFFREY SCHOESS; Fiscal Year: 2002..Effective seals for colostomy, ileostomy and urostomy, are critical to physical and emotional well-being as well as functional abilities of an individual ..
- Risk for Renal Injury Caused by Shock Wave LithotripsyAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2007..All of these proposed studies aim at understanding the adverse effects of shock waves and advancing the safety of all stone patients at a time when reports of adverse effects in SWL are on the rise. ..
- IKSI: 1st Annual International Urolithiasis Research SymposiumAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- International Conference on Malignant Bowel ObstructionRobert Krouse; Fiscal Year: 2004..Using MBO as a model, a consensus will be attained for methodological approaches and the implementation of palliative care research. ..
- HR-QOL in Colorectal Cancer Survivors with StomasROBERT S contact KROUSE; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- HR-QOL in Colorectal Cancer Survivors with StomasRobert Krouse; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- TEM with Digital and Cryopreparation SystemsAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2003..Dr. Richard Gregory will employ immunohistochemistry to examine the role of a Streptococcus mutans 65 kDa fimbrial protein binding as a mechanism for the induction of dental carries. ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN ALIMENTARY TRACT SURGERYDavid Soybel; Fiscal Year: 2007..A pro-active process for seeking applications from individuals belonging to under-represented minority groups is coordinated through the Offices for Diversity at HMS and each of the participating institutions. ..
- Gastric Injury In Trauma and Surgical SepsisDavid I Soybel; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such therapeutic strategies would be applicable not only to injury in the stomach, but to other regions of the GI tract affected by systemic stress and acute inflammation. ..
- Radiation-Induced Heart Disease: Mechanisms and InterventionsMarjan Boerma; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Gastric Injury In Trauma and Surgical SepsisDavid Soybel; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such therapeutic strategies would be applicable not only to injury in the stomach, but to other regions of the GI tract affected bysystemic stress and acute inflammation. ..
- Racial Disparities in Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseGEOFFREY NGUYEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Establishing the presence of IBD health disparities and understanding their mechanisms will facilitate interventions in public policy and education to optimize health care utilization and outcomes in underserved populations. ..
- US VALUATION OF THE EUROQOL EQ-5D HEALTH STATESStephen Coons; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- FLAVONOID BIOAVAILABILITY IN HUMANS--CELLULAR STUDIESThomas Walle; Fiscal Year: 2002..In these studies we will in first hand seek to determine the bioavailability of flavonoid glycosides and their subsequent hydrolysis to aglycones in normal volunteers through plasma and urine determinations. ..
- H+ NEUTRALIZATION AND C1- HOMEOSTASIS IN GASTRIC MUCOSADavid Soybel; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Clinical Approaches to Ileal Pouch DysfunctionBo Shen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The AIMS of study are to 1) investigate visceral hypersensitivity using barostat examination of the pouch; 2) conduct a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial evaluating the use of amitriptyline in IPS. ..
- FLAVONOID BIOAVAILABILITY IN HUMANS-CELLULAR STUDIESThomas Walle; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings from the proposed studies should help us understand the bioavailability of the flavonoids, facilitating optimization of the chemopreventive utility of these natural or synthetic compounds. ..
- ANDROGEN RECEPTOR REGULATION OF PROSTATE CANCER GROWTHSamir Taneja; Fiscal Year: 2002....