Summary: Surgical creation of an external opening into the ILEUM for fecal diversion or drainage. This replacement for the RECTUM is usually created in patients with severe INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASES. Loop (continent) or tube (incontinent) procedures are most often employed.
Publications221 found, 100 shown here
- Complications of loop ileostomy closure: a retrospective cohort analysis of 123 patientsS D Mansfield
Department of General Surgery, North Tyneside General Hospital, Rake Lane, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE29 8NH, UK
World J Surg 32:2101-6. 2008..Loop ileostomies are often formed in order to defunction distal anastomoses. The aim of this study was to review the complications following closure of loop ileostomies...
- Stoma-related complications are more frequent after transverse colostomy than loop ileostomy: a prospective randomized clinical trialD P Edwards
Colorectal Research Unit, North Hampshire Hospital, Aldermaston Road, Basingstoke RG24 9NA, UK
Br J Surg 88:360-3. 2001..Controversy continues as to whether loop ileostomy (LI) or loop transverse colostomy (LTC) is the optimal method of defunctioning such anastomoses...
- Comparison of stapled versus handsewn loop ileostomy closure: a meta-analysisTerry T W Leung
Department of Surgery, University of Calgary, Room 1014, North Tower, Foothills Medical Centre, 1403 29 St NW, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 2T9
J Gastrointest Surg 12:939-44. 2008..search in Embase, PubMed, and Cochrane Database for Clinical Trials using search terms "closure," "loop ileostomy," and "stapled" was performed...
- Complications of construction and closure of temporary loop ileostomyOrit Kaidar-Person
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston 33331, USA
J Am Coll Surg 201:759-73. 2005
- Sphingolipids in human ileostomy content after meals containing milk sphingomyelinLena Ohlsson
Department of Gastroenterology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 91:672-8. 2010..In humans, alkaline sphingomyelinase is also secreted in bile. The digestion of sphingomyelin is slow and incomplete, which has been linked to the inhibition of cholesterol absorption and colonic carcinogenesis...
- Diverting loop ileostomy and colonic lavage: an alternative to total abdominal colectomy for the treatment of severe, complicated Clostridium difficile associated diseaseMatthew D Neal
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Ann Surg 254:423-7; discussion 427-9. 2011..To determine whether a minimally invasive, colon-preserving approach could serve as an alternative to total colectomy in the treatment of severe, complicated Clostridium difficile-associated disease (CDAD)...
- Loop ileostomy closure: comparison of cost effectiveness between suture and staplerKaroline Horisberger
Department of Visceral Surgery and Medicine, Bern University Hospital, University of Bern, 3010, Bern, Switzerland
World J Surg 34:2867-71. 2010Closure of loop ileostomy can be safely performed using sutures or staplers. The aim of the present study was to compare the cost effectiveness of three different techniques.
- Postoperative morbidity with diversion after low anterior resection in the era of neoadjuvant therapy: a single institution experienceVassiliki L Tsikitis
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Coll Surg 209:114-8. 2009....
- Bioresorbable adhesion barrier facilitates early closure of the defunctioning ileostomy after rectal excision: a prospective, randomized trialChoong Leong Tang
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Dis Colon Rectum 46:1200-7. 2003A temporary loop ileostomy is often created to minimize the impact of peritoneal sepsis from an anastomotic dehiscence after a coloanal or low colorectal anastomosis...
- A prospective audit of the complications of loop ileostomy construction and takedownS A García-Botello
Colorectal Surgery Unit, Hospital Clinico, University of Valencia, Spain
Dig Surg 21:440-6. 2004A prospective review of the complications of ileostomy construction and takedown.
- Effects of treatment with glucagon-like peptide-2 on bone resorption in colectomized patients with distal ileostomy or jejunostomy and short-bowel syndromeIda B Gottschalck
Sanos Bioscience, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:1304-10. 2008..PTH secretion in response to GLP-2 was also investigated in colectomized SBS patients and colectomized controls (with ileostomy).
- Bioavailability of chlorogenic acids following acute ingestion of coffee by humans with an ileostomyAngelique Stalmach
Plant Products and Human Nutrition Group, Graham Kerr Building, Faculty of Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G128QQ, UK
Arch Biochem Biophys 501:98-105. 2010..385 micromol chlorogenic acids following a single intake of 200 mL of instant coffee by human volunteers with an ileostomy was investigated...
- Does sodium hyaluronate- and carboxymethylcellulose-based bioresorbable membrane (Seprafilm) decrease operative time for loop ileostomy closure?M Salum
Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Tech Coloproctol 10:187-90; discussion 190-1. 2006Adhesions can result in serious clinical complications and make ileostomy closure, which is relatively simple procedure into a complicated and prolonged one...
- Defunctioning loop ileostomy with low anterior resection for distal rectal cancer: should we make an ileostomy as a routine procedure? A prospective randomized studyG G Chude
Department of Surgical Oncology, Athens Medical Centre, Athens, Greece
Hepatogastroenterology 55:1562-7. 2008..The defunctioning loop ileostomy was introduced as a technique to create a manageable stoma that would divert the fecal stream from a more distal ..
- Bioavailability of selenium from bovine milk as assessed in subjects with ileostomyJ Chen
Biomedical Nutrition, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 58:350-5. 2004..To assess the absorption of dietary selenium in humans, especially of milk selenium...
- A finding of live Fasciolopsis buski in an ileostomy openingRakesh Kumar Mahajan
Department of Microbiology, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Infect Dev Ctries 4:401-3. 2010A pair of live Fasciolopsis buski wriggled their way out through the ileostomy opening in a young adult male who had recently migrated to Delhi and had met with a road traffic accident...
- Morbidity related to defunctioning loop ileostomy in low anterior resectionOscar Akesson
Colorectal Unit, Department of Surgery, Helsingborg Hospital, 251 87, Helsingborg, Sweden
Int J Colorectal Dis 27:1619-23. 2012A defunctioning loop ileostomy in low anterior resection reduces the incidence and morbidity of an anastomotic leakage, but complications related to the stoma may occur...
- A multivariate analysis of limiting factors for stoma reversal in patients with rectal cancer entered into the total mesorectal excision (TME) trial: a retrospective studyMarcel den Dulk
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, Netherlands
Lancet Oncol 8:297-303. 2007..We aimed to describe stoma policy by use of data from the total mesorectal excision (TME) trial in patients with rectal cancer and to identify factors that limit stoma reversal...
- Clinical value of preventative ileostomy following ultra-low anterior rectal resectionHai Gong
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Jiangyin People s Hospital of Southeast University, 163 Shoushan Road, Jiangyin, 214400, Jiangsu Province, China
Cell Biochem Biophys 65:491-3. 2013The objective was to evaluate the clinical value of preventative ileostomy following ultralow anterior rectal resection in decreasing the incidence of anastomotic leakage...
- Closure of defunctioning loop ileostomy is associated with considerable morbidityA Sharma
Division of Colorectal Surgery and SHORE, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, USA
Colorectal Dis 15:458-62. 2013An elective defunctioning ileostomy is commonly employed to attenuate the morbidity that may arise from distal anastomotic leakage...
- Short-term outcome of infliximab and other medications on patients with inflammatory bowel disease undergoing ileostomy reversalF S P Regadas
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, Florida, USA
Colorectal Dis 13:555-60. 2011We evaluated the impact of immunosuppressive drugs on the short-term outcome following loop ileostomy closure in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Intra-tubular deposits, urine and stone composition are divergent in patients with ileostomyAndrew P Evan
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46223, USA
Kidney Int 76:1081-8. 2009Patients with ileostomy typically have recurrent renal stones and produce scanty, acidic, sodium-poor urine because of abnormally large enteric losses of water and sodium bicarbonate...
- Total laparoscopic proctocolectomy with Brooke ileostomy: a novel incisionless surgical treatment for patients with ulcerative colitisD W Larson
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery Mayo Clinic Rochester, Mayo Clinic, Gonda 9 S, 200 Fisrt Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Surg Endosc 19:1284-7. 2005..This report describes the clinical benefits and safety of a novel (incisionless) laparoscopic operation for chronic ulcerative colitis...
- Vitamin A equivalency and apparent absorption of beta-carotene in ileostomy subjects using a dual-isotope dilution techniqueCarolien A Van Loo-Bouwman
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 103:1836-43. 2010..Seventeen healthy adults with an ileostomy completed the 4-week diet-controlled, cross-over intervention study...
- Is routine pouchogram prior to ileostomy closure in colonic J-pouch really necessary?G M da Silva
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, Florida, USA
Colorectal Dis 6:117-20. 2004..If a diverting ileostomy is performed, a pouchogram is frequently performed prior to ileostomy closure...
- Total abdominal colectomy, pelvic peritonectomy, and end-ileostomy for the surgical palliation of mucinous peritoneal carcinomatosis from non-gynecologic cancerKonstantinos M Stamou
Washington Cancer Institute, Washington Hospital Center, NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Surg Oncol 83:197-203. 2003..Historic controls of surgical efforts report high postoperative mortality and morbidity rates with equivocal palliation. Novel surgical procedures need to be tested in terms of the impact on survival and quality of life...
- Quality of life of stoma patients: temporary ileostomy versus colostomyMichael Anthony Silva
Department of General Surgery, University Surgical Unit, Teaching Hospital, Talagolla Road, Ragama, Sri Lanka
World J Surg 27:421-4. 2003b>Ileostomy for proximal diversion as a preferred option over colostomy has been a recent topic of interest...
- Quality of life in patients with an ileostomyM Scarpa
Surgery I, Department of Surgical and Gastroenterologic Sciences, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Minerva Chir 59:23-9. 2004Temporary or permanent ileostomy is a common procedure in colorectal surgery. Our aim was to assess the impact of ileostomy on quality of life and the relevant risk factors.
- Use of the pylorus for preventing ileostomy complications. An experimental canine studyG Toubanakis
Athens University Medical School, First Department of Propedeutic Surgery, Athens, Greece
Dis Colon Rectum 39:266-9. 1996PURPOSE: Conventional ileostomy, as it is well known, presents with persistent watery diarrhea, among other complications...
- Mixed-linked beta-glucan from breads of different cereals is partly degraded in the human ileostomy modelB Sundberg
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 64:878-85. 1996..degradation of beta-glucan in the small intestine and the molecular weight of beta-glucan in the excreta of nine ileostomy subjects after consumption of different diets based on bread made with oat bran (oat bread), a fiber-rich barley ..
- Temporary percutaneous ileostomy versus conventional loop ileostomy in mechanical extraperitoneal colorectal anastomosis: a retrospective studyF Rondelli
University of Perugia, School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Via G Dottori, 06132 Perugia, Italy
Eur J Surg Oncol 38:1065-70. 2012Loop ileostomy is a suitable procedure for transitory faecal diversion after low colorectal anastomosis, but it causes relevant morbidities (discomfort, peristomal infections, dehydration) and requires a second operation to be closed...
- Current indications for blow-hole colostomy:ileostomy procedure. A single center experienceFeza H Remzi
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195 USA
Int J Colorectal Dis 18:361-4. 2003Because of improved medical care and surgical techniques blow-hole colostomy with loop ileostomy is now rarely performed to reduce operative risks in patients with toxic megacolon related to inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)...
- Dynamics of mucosal permeability and inflammation in collagenous colitis before, during, and after loop ileostomyA Munch
Department of Gastroenterology, UHL, Linkoping, Sweden
Gut 54:1126-8. 2005..We describe a female patient with intractable collagenous colitis who was treated with a temporary loop ileostomy. She was followed clinically, histopathologically, and functionally by measuring mucosal permeability before ..
- Stapled ileoanal pouches without loop ileostomy: a prospective study in 86 patientsK Gullberg
Department of Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Huddinge University Hospital, Sweden
Int J Colorectal Dis 16:221-7. 2001..offers an alternative to the hand-sewn technique following mucosectomy; a temporary defunctioning loop ileostomy may reduce the consequences of an anastomotic leakage, however it may entail discomfort for the patient, an ..
- Health-related quality of life and pouch function in continent ileostomy patients: a 30-year perspectiveIna E K Berndtsson
Colorectal Unit, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Dis Colon Rectum 47:2131-7. 2004The principal aim of this study was to assess long-term pouch durability and health-related quality of life in an original series of patients operated on with a continent ileostomy.
- The failed pelvic pouch: conversion to a continent ileostomyL Borjesson
Department of Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Ostra, SE 416 85 Goteborg, Sweden
Tech Coloproctol 8:102-5. 2004Excision of the ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA) with construction of a conventional ileostomy is in general the ultimate procedure after unsuccessful salvage surgery...
- Behaviour of the pharmaceutical probiotic preparation VSL#3 in human ileostomy effluent containing its own natural elementsB Bianchi-Salvadori
Centro Sperimentale del Latte SpA, Zelo Buon Persico, Italy
New Microbiol 24:23-33. 2001..probiotic VSL#3 (300 billion cfu/g lactic acid bacteria & bifidobacteria) was inoculated into human ileostomy effluent (HIE) to assess its behaviour vs the ileo-caecal tract...
- Durability of Kock continent ileostomyAnna H Lepistö
Department of Surgery, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Dis Colon Rectum 46:925-8. 2003The purpose of this study was to determine the cumulative success rate of Kock continent ileostomy and the reasons leading to excision and to compare the results with pelvic pouch and ileal pouch-anal anastomosis.
- Loop ileostomy morbidity: timing of closure mattersRodrigo Oliva Perez
Institute of Colorectal Surgery, Rua Manuel da Nóbrega 1564, 04001 005 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1539-45. 2006Diverting stomas are commonly performed during ileoanal and coloanal anastomoses. We studied a series of patients after loop ileostomy closure to determine risk factors and the impact of the interval from primary operation on morbidity.
- Routine use of gastrograffin enema prior to the reversal of a loop ileostomyG Khair
Academic Surgical Unit, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, Hull, UK
Dig Surg 24:338-41. 2007Anastomotic failure occurs in up to 10% of patients following anterior resection. Selective use of a loop ileostomy may reduce the septic consequences of anastomotic leak...
- Factors associated with failure in managing pelvic sepsis after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA)--a multivariate analysisIsmail Sagap
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Surgery 140:691-703; discussion 703-4. 2006..Pelvic sepsis is known to cause a detrimental outcome after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (IPAA). The aim of this study was to examine potential factors associated with failure in managing pelvic sepsis after IPAA...
- Morbidity and complications of protective loop ileostomyG F Giannakopoulos
Department of Surgery, VU Medical Center, HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Colorectal Dis 11:609-12. 2009The creation of a loop ileostomy is considered suitable to protect a distal anastomosis in colorectal surgery. This technique is, however, associated with failure, complications and even mortality...
- Sushi-roll wrap of Seprafilm for ileostomy limbs facilitates ileostomy closureY J Kawamura
Department of Surgery, Saitama Medical Center, Jichi Medical University, Omiya ku, Saitama, Japan
Tech Coloproctol 13:211-4. 2009Sodium hyaluronate and carboxymethylcellulose membrane (Seprafilm) reduced postoperative intraabdominal adhesion. In this study, we examined whether Seprafilm reduces operative difficulties in ileostomy closure.
- Loop ileostomy closure after restorative proctocolectomy: outcome in 1,504 patientsKutt Sing Wong
Department of Colorectal Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 48:243-50. 2005Routine use of a temporary loop ileostomy for diversion after restorative proctocolectomy is controversial because of reported morbidity associated with its creation and closure...
- Intestinal absorption of different types of folate in healthy subjects with an ileostomyErik J M Konings
Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute NUTRIM, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 88:235-42. 2002..Folate absorption was determined in healthy ileostomy volunteers (n 11) using a single-dose short-term protocol...
- The outcome after restorative proctocolectomy with or without defunctioning ileostomyFeza H Remzi
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 49:470-7. 2006Controversy exists regarding the safety for omission of diverting ileostomy in restorative proctocolectomy because of fears of increased septic complications...
- Stapled ileostomy closure results in reduction of postoperative morbidityY A Shelygin
Department of Rectal Cancer Surgery, State Research Center of Coloproctology, Salyam Adyl st 2, 123423, Moscow, Russia
Tech Coloproctol 14:19-23. 2010Loop ileostomy is widely employed as a defunctioning procedure for left-sided colonic anastomoses. Closure of the stoma carries a risk of morbidity and even mortality...
- Enteral Clostridium difficile, an emerging cause for high-output ileostomyR N Williams
Department of Surgery, Leicester Royal Infirmary, University Hospitals Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester, UK
J Clin Pathol 62:951-3. 2009The loss of fluid and electrolytes from a high-output ileostomy (>1200 ml/day) can quickly result in dehydration and if not properly managed may cause acute renal failure...
- A defunctioning ileostomy does not prevent clinical anastomotic leak after a low anterior resection: a prospective, comparative studyN Y Wong
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Dis Colon Rectum 48:2076-9. 2005Defunctioning ileostomy or colostomy is still routinely performed after low anterior resection in the belief that diverting the fecal stream will prevent anastomotic dehiscence...
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of the role of defunctioning stoma in low rectal cancer surgeryNorbert Hüser
Department of Surgery, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Ann Surg 248:52-60. 2008..The role of a defunctioning stoma in patients undergoing low anterior resection for rectal cancer is still the subject of controversy. Recent studies suggest reduced morbidity after low anterior rectal resection with a defunctioning stoma...
- Quality of life after low anterior resection and temporary loop ileostomyAkira Tsunoda
Department of General and Gastroenterological Surgery, Showa University School of Medicine, 1 5 8 Hatanodai, Shinagawa ku, Tokyo 142 8666, Japan
Dis Colon Rectum 51:218-22. 2008..This study was designed to evaluate the quality of life in patients undergoing low anterior resection with a temporary ileostomy.
- The value of diverting loop ileostomy on the high-risk colon and rectal anastomosisTimothy W Bax
Surgical Specialists of Spokane, 105 W 8th Avenue, Suite 7060, Spokane, WA 99203, USA
Am J Surg 193:585-7; discussion 587-8. 2007..This study was designed to evaluate the potential benefits and complications of diverting loop ileostomies in a high-risk anastomosis population...
- Timely closure of loop ileostomy following anterior resection for rectal cancerM Chand
Southampton General Hospital, Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 17:611-5. 2008The implications of constructing a temporary ileostomy as part of the primary surgery for some rectal cancers must not be underestimated and many patients are particularly keen to have their stoma closed as early as possible...
- Closure of loop ileostomy after low anterior rectal resection and restorative proctocolectomyZ Krivokapic
Colorectal Surgery Clinic, Institute for Digestive Disease, Belgrade, Serbia
Acta Chir Iugosl 55:67-71. 2008..Loop ileostomies are commonly performed during ileoanal and coloanal anastomoses. This study was undertaken to review our experience with loop ileostomy closure after low anterior rectal resection and restorative proctocolectomy.
- The morbidity surrounding reversal of defunctioning ileostomies: a systematic review of 48 studies including 6,107 casesAndre Chow
Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, Imperial College London, 10th Floor, QEQM Building, St Mary s Hospital Campus, Praed Street, London, W2 1NY, UK
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:711-23. 2009..It is often assumed that reversal of a loop ileostomy is a simple and safe procedure...
- Complications of loop ileostomy closure in patients with rectal tumorTakashi Akiyoshi
Gastroenterological Center, Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Cancer Institute Ariake Hospital, 3 10 6 Ariake, Koto ku, Tokyo, 135 8550, Japan
World J Surg 34:1937-42. 2010Loop ileostomy is customary after very low rectal anastomosis to reduce the rate of pelvic sepsis that can result from anastomotic leakage...
- Bioavailability of anthocyanins and ellagitannins following consumption of raspberries by healthy humans and subjects with an ileostomyRocío González-Barrio
Graham Kerr Building, Division of Developmental Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
J Agric Food Chem 58:3933-9. 2010..was studied following the consumption of 300 g of raspberries by healthy human volunteers and subjects with an ileostomy. Postingestion plasma and urine from the former and ileal fluid and urine from the latter group were collected ..
- The outcome of loop ileostomy closure: a prospective studyL A Williams
Department of Colorectal Surgery, The General Infirmary at Leeds, Leeds, UK
Colorectal Dis 10:460-4. 2008The use of a loop ileostomy is an effective method to protect pelvic anastomoses, although there is some debate as to the routine use of a stoma. A second operation is required to close the stoma, with potential complications.
- Loop ileostomy versus loop colostomy for defunctioning low anastomoses during rectal cancer surgeryE Rullier
Department of Digestive Surgery, Saint Andre Hospital, 1 rue Jean Burguet, 33075 Bordeaux, France
World J Surg 25:274-7; discussion 277-8. 2001Several studies have compared loop ileostomy with loop colostomy to defunction colorectal anastomoses. The discordant results may be due to the heterogeneity of the indications...
- Single incision ("scarless") laparoscopic total abdominal colectomy with end ileostomy for ulcerative colitisAlessandro Fichera
Department of Surgery, University of Chicago Medical Center, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC 5095, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 15:1247-51. 2011..In this article, we describe our technique in performing the single-incision total abdominal colectomy...
- Human ileostomy glycoproteins as a model for small intestinal mucus to investigate adhesion of probioticsE M Tuomola
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, University of Turku, Finland
Lett Appl Microbiol 28:159-63. 1999Human ileostomy glycoproteins were used as a model for small intestinal mucus to investigate the adhesion of 12 Lactobacillus strains, one Lactococcus strain and one Propionibacterium strain, Both probiotic and dairy strains were tested...
- Successful local excision of ileostomy adenocarcinoma after colectomy for familial adenomatous polyposis: report of a caseToshiro Iizuka
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Toranomon Hospital, 2 2 2 Toranomon, Minato ku, Tokyo 105 0001, Japan
Surg Today 32:638-41. 2002Primary adenocarcinoma rarely develops at the site of an ileostomy performed for ulcerative colitis (UC), familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), or Crohn's disease...
- Standardized postoperative pathway: accelerating recovery after ileostomy closureYong Geul Joh
Division of Colorectal Surgery, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1786-9. 2008In this study we evaluated the outcome of a standardized enhanced recovery program in patients undergoing ileostomy closure.
- Bioavailability of polyphenon E flavan-3-ols in humans with an ileostomyCyril Auger
Plant Products and Human Nutrition Group, Division of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
J Nutr 138:1535S-1542S. 2008To investigate the degree of absorption of flavan-3-ols in the small intestine, human subjects with an ileostomy ingested 200 mg of Polyphenon E, a green tea extract, after which ileal fluid and urine, collected over a 24-h period, were ..
- Folate absorption from folate-fortified and processed foods using a human ileostomy modelCornelia M Witthöft
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7051, SE 75007 Uppsala, Sweden
Br J Nutr 95:181-7. 2006..The aim of the present work was to study the effects from fortified and processed foods on folate absorption in ileostomy volunteers (n 9) using the area under the plasma concentration curve (AUC) and kinetic modelling...
- Randomized clinical trial of short-term outcomes following purse-string versus conventional closure of ileostomy woundsK Reid
Department of Colorectal Surgery, John Hunter Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Br J Surg 97:1511-7. 2010b>Ileostomy closure is an operation with an underappreciated morbidity, including surgical-site infection, small bowel obstruction and anastomotic leakage...
- Diverting stoma after low anterior resection: more arguments in favorAlexis B Ulrich
Department of General Surgery, Visceral Surgery, and Transplantation Surgery, University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 52:412-8. 2009..We conducted a randomized, controlled, pilot-study to evaluate the need for diverting ileostomy in patients undergoing low anterior resection [NCT00457327].
- Quality of life after low anterior resection with total mesorectal excision and temporary loop ileostomy for rectal carcinomaD P O'Leary
Department of Surgery, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Gloucester, UK
Br J Surg 88:1216-20. 2001..Routine formation of a temporary defunctioning stoma has been recommended with TME. The impact of this strategy on health-related quality of life (HRQOL) has not been addressed...
- Defunctioning loop ileostomy and stapled side-to-side closure has low morbidityS N Amin
Department of Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 83:246-9. 2001..Therefore, defunctioning loop ileostomies are being increasingly fashioned to protect against the consequences of a leak. However, the reported complication rates of such stoma creation and closure is between 5.7-69%...
- [Quality of life in patients treated with orthotopic bladder substitution versus cutaneous ileostomy]C Conde Redondo
, Hospital Universitario Rio Hortega, Valladolid
Actas Urol Esp 25:435-44. 2001..CONCLUSION: Health-related quality of life is higher after bladder substitution. In our opinion we should use bladder substitution as the standard method of diversion after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer...
- Loop ileostomy versus loop colostomy for fecal diversion after colorectal or coloanal anastomosis: a meta-analysisF Rondelli
Department of General and Oncologic Surgery, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:479-88. 2009..In order to reduce leakage-related complications, surgeons often perform a derivative stoma, a loop ileostomy (LI), or a loop colostomy (LC), but to date, there is no evidence on which is the better technique to adopt.
- Quantification of isotope-labelled and unlabelled folates in plasma, ileostomy and food samplesBarbara E Büttner
Division BIOANALYTIK Weihenstephan, Research Center for Nutrition and Food Sciences Z I E L, Technische Universitat Munchen, 85350 Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 399:429-39. 2011..e. plasma, ileostomy samples, and food. The methods were based on clean-up by strong anion exchange followed by LC-MS/MS detection...
- Temporary transverse colostomy vs loop ileostomy in diversion: a case-matched studyY Sakai
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Surg 136:338-42. 2001HYPOTHESIS: For temporary fecal diversion, transverse colostomy (TC) has superior safety, but loop ileostomy (LI) has superior management qualities...
- Folate bioavailability from breads and a meal assessed with a human stable-isotope area under the curve and ileostomy modelVeronica E Ohrvik
Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 92:532-8. 2010..Recent data revealed differences in human absorption kinetics and metabolism between food folates and folic acid supplements and fortificant...
- Wound infection after ileostomy closure: a prospective randomized study comparing primary vs. delayed primary closure techniquesG Lahat
Proctology Unit, Division of Surgery B, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Tech Coloproctol 9:206-8. 2005Closure of ileostomy is considered a contaminated operation. The infection rate of the stoma wound is > or = 30%. Several ileostomy-closure techniques intended to reduce the high rate of infection have been described in the literature...
- T-tube ileostomy for intestinal perforation in extremely low birth weight neonatesM Rygl
Department of Pediatric Surgery, 2nd Faculty of Medicine and Teaching Hospital in Motol, Institute of Postgraduate Medicine, Charles University, V Uvalu 84, Prague 5, Czech Republic
Pediatr Surg Int 23:685-8. 2007To evaluate the results of use of T-tube ileostomy in selected cases of intestinal perforation in extremely low birth weight (ELBW) neonates...
- Primary closure of the skin after stoma closure. Management of wound infections is easy without (long-term) complicationsN Vermulst
Department of Surgery, Medisch Centrum Rijnmond Zuid, NL 3078 HT Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 23:255-8. 2006..Therefore, this present study was undertaken to compare the complications and consequences between primary or delayed closure of the skin after stoma closure...
- Randomized clinical trial comparing loop ileostomy and loop transverse colostomy for faecal diversion following total mesorectal excisionW L Law
Department of Surgery, Queen Mary Hospital, University of Hong Kong Medical Centre, 102 Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
Br J Surg 89:704-8. 2002The aim of this study was to compare loop ileostomy and loop transverse colostomy as the preferred mode of faecal diversion following low anterior resection with total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer.
- Comparison of outcomes after restorative proctocolectomy with or without defunctioning ileostomyGina K Weston-Petrides
Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, St Mary s Hospital, 10th Floor, QEQM Wing, Praed Street, London W2 1NY, England
Arch Surg 143:406-12. 2008..To evaluate postoperative adverse events and functional outcomes of patients undergoing restorative proctocolectomy with or without proximal diversion...
- Iron supplements inhibit zinc but not copper absorption in vivo in ileostomy subjectsFreddy J Troost
Department of Human Biology, NUTRIM, Maastricht University, Maastricht, Netherlands
Am J Clin Nutr 78:1018-23. 2003..Iron supplements may inhibit intestinal zinc and copper uptake because these elements may compete for binding to a transporter molecule (divalent metal transporter 1) that is located on the apical side of the small intestinal epithelium...
- Predictors for complications after loop stoma closure in patients with rectal cancerHerwig Pokorny
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Vienna, 21A Währinger Gürtel 18 20, 1090, Vienna, Austria
World J Surg 30:1488-93. 2006..This unmatched case control study was undertaken to evaluate factors contributing to surgery-related complications of loop stoma closure in patients with rectal cancer...
- Clostridium difficile enteritis: a cause for high ileostomy outputMohammad Sami H El Muhtaseb
ANZ J Surg 78:416. 2008
- Absorption, metabolism, and excretion of green tea flavan-3-ols in humans with an ileostomyAngelique Stalmach
Division of Environmental and Evolutionary Biology, Faculty of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Mol Nutr Food Res 54:323-34. 2010Green tea containing 634 micromol of flavan-3-ols was ingested by human subjects with an ileostomy. Ileal fluid, plasma, and urine collected 0-24 h after ingestion were analysed by HPLC-MS...
- K-ras mutation and loss of heterozygosity at 17p with beta-catenin accumulation in intramucosal carcinoma of the ileostomy in familial adenomatous polyposis: a case reportKeisuke Hata
Department of Surgical Oncology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 48:2310-4. 2003
- Mesh repair of parastomal hernias--a safety modificationR J Longman
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Gloucester, UK
Colorectal Dis 7:292-4. 2005..Bowel wall erosion is a worrying potential complication of placing an edge of mesh around bowel. To reduce this possibility a simple modification is suggested...
- Risk factors for anastomotic failure after total mesorectal excision of rectal cancerK C M J Peeters
Department of Surgery, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 92:211-6. 2005..Anastomotic leakage is a major complication of rectal cancer surgery. The aim of this study was to investigate risk factors associated with symptomatic anastomotic leakage after total mesorectal excision (TME)...
- Outcome of parastomal hernia repair with and without midline laparotomyM K Baig
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, 2950 Cleveland Clinic Blvd, Weston, FL, USA
Tech Coloproctol 10:282-6. 2006..However, stoma relocation may require a midline laparotomy with higher associated morbidity. The aim of this study was to assess the outcome of PSH repair with relocation with or without a midline laparotomy...
- Anastomotic leak and the loop ileostomy: friend or foe?Traci L Hedrick
Department of Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22901, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1167-76. 2006..This study was designed to evaluate the use of proximal diversion and surgical drainage as an alternative to anastomotic resection in the operative management of patients with anastomotic complications...
- Phytosterol and phytostanol esters are effectively hydrolysed in the gut and do not affect fat digestion in ileostomy subjectsL Normén
Dept of Clinical Nutrition, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Nutr 45:165-70. 2006..Hydrolysis of phytosterol ester (PSTE) and phytostanol ester (PSTA) during fat digestion is not well characterised under controlled dietary conditions...
- Development and validation of a quality of life questionnaire for patients with colostomy or ileostomyLuis Prieto
Health Qual Life Outcomes 3:62. 2005..The aim of this paper is to describe the development and validation of a quality-of-life instrument, "Stoma-QOL", specifically for patients with colostomy or ileostomy.
- Intestinal diversion (colostomy or ileostomy) in patients with severe bowel dysfunction following spinal cord injuryBarbara Hocevar
Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs 35:159-66. 2008..Gastrointestinal symptoms are associated with depression, anxiety, and significant impairments in quality of life (QOL) in a significant portion of persons with SCI...
- Subcutaneous gentamycin implant to reduce wound infections after loop-ileostomy closure: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialO Haase
Department of General, Visceral, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery, University Medicine Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 48:2025-31. 2005After loop-ileostomy closure subcutaneous wound infection is the most frequent postoperative complication...
- Morbidity of temporary loop ileostomy in patients with colorectal cancerAndreas Thalheimer
Department of General Surgery, University of Wurzburg, Oberduerrbacherstrasse 6, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1011-7. 2006This study was designed to quantify the temporary loop ileostomy-related morbidity in patients with colorectal cancer and contrast the morbidity rates after ileostomy closure before, during, and after the start of adjuvant therapy.
- Comparison of outcomes following ileostomy versus colostomy for defunctioning colorectal anastomosesHenry S Tilney
Department of Biosurgery and Surgical Technology, Imperial College London, London, UK
World J Surg 31:1142-51. 2007The present study evaluated outcomes of patients undergoing proximal diversion using either a loop ileostomy or loop colostomy following distal colorectal resection for malignant and non-malignant disease.
- Adenocarcinoma developing at an ileostomy: report of a case and review of the literaturePhilip P Metzger
Department of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 51:604-9. 2008Primary adenocarcinoma of a permanent ileostomy is a rare and unusual complication. We report a case of primary adenocarcinoma arising at an ileostomy site 46 years after total proctocolectomy for Crohn's colitis...
- Intervention with cloudy apple juice results in altered biological activities of ileostomy samples collected from individual volunteersSelvaraju Veeriah
Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Eur J Nutr 47:226-34. 2008..Apple juice is considered to be an important component of the healthy diet, with anticancer activities in colon cancer animal models and key ingredients have numerous chemoprotective activities in human colon cells in vitro...
- Oat bran rapidly increases bile acid excretion and bile acid synthesis: an ileostomy studyL Ellegard
Department of Clinical Nutrition, The Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Göteborg, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 405 30 Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 61:938-45. 2007..To study whether oat bran with native beta-glucans increases bile acid excretion and bile acid synthesis as measured by serum concentrations of 7alpha-hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one (7alpha-HC)...
- Ileal pouch-anal anastomosis, conventional ileostomy and ileorectal anastomosis modify cholesterol metabolismMarkku J Nissinen
Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Dig Dis Sci 49:1444-53. 2004..balance technique were analyzed in human subjects with ileal pouch-anal anastomosis (n = 34), conventional ileostomy (n = 8), ileorectostomy (n = 6), and controls (n = 29)...
- Protective defunctioning stoma in low anterior resection for rectal carcinomaI Gastinger
Institute for Quality Management in Operative Medicine at the Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg, Germany
Br J Surg 92:1137-42. 2005..Anastomotic leak is a serious complication of resection for low rectal carcinoma...
- Laparoscopically assisted colectomy and ileoanal pouch procedure with and without protective ileostomyP Kienle
Surgical Department, University of Heidelberg, INF 110, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Surg Endosc 17:716-20. 2003Apart from an obviously better cosmetic situation, there is controversy on the actual benefit of laparoscopic and laparoscopically assisted techniques in restorative proctocolectomy. The need for a protective ileostomy remains unclear.
- What concerns subjects with inflammatory bowel disease and an ileostomy?E Carlsson
Colorectal Unit, Dept of Surgery, University of Goteborg, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 38:978-84. 2003The greatest concern of patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is of having an ileostomy. The aim of this study was to describe worries and concerns in subjects with IBD and an ileostomy, and aspects of quality of life and coping ..
- Acupuncture to Prevent Postoperative Paralytic lleusJOSEPH CHIANG; Fiscal Year: 2004..is effective in preventing postoperative paralytic ileus (PPI) among cancer survivors undergoing colostomy/ileostomy closure...
- Smart Seal Ostomy ApplianceJEFFREY SCHOESS; Fiscal Year: 2006..The pressing need to provide effective skin barriers for colostomy, ileostomy and urostomy patients, achieving an effective appliance seal is critical to physical and emotional well-being as ..
- MOTILITY OF THE DIGESTIVE TRACT IN HEALTH AND DISEASEKEITH KELLY; Fiscal Year: 1993..duodenum transposed to the distal ileum would slow gastrointestinal transit and improve absorption in dogs with ileostomy. 2) To determine whether pacing a loop of canine jejunum absorption...
- Smart Seal Ostomy ApplianceJEFFREY SCHOESS; Fiscal Year: 2002..Effective seals for colostomy, ileostomy and urostomy, are critical to physical and emotional well-being as well as functional abilities of an individual ..
- DIET AND INTESTINAL FORMATION OF NITRITE IN MANSteven Tannenbaum; Fiscal Year: 1980Studies of nitrate balance in man and analyses of fecal and ileostomy samples indicate that nitrite and nitrate are formed de novo in the intestine, possibly by heterotrophic nitrification...
- IKSI: 2nd International Urolithiasis Research SymposiumAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2008..This assumption was supported by the great success of the 1st International Urolithiasis Research symposium and the high level of interest in the 2nd symposium date. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Risk for Renal Injury Caused by Shock Wave LithotripsyAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2008..All of these proposed studies aim at understanding the adverse effects of shock waves and advancing the safety of all stone patients at a time when reports of adverse effects in SWL are on the rise. ..
- IKSI: 1st Annual International Urolithiasis Research SymposiumAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- International Conference on Malignant Bowel ObstructionRobert Krouse; Fiscal Year: 2004..Using MBO as a model, a consensus will be attained for methodological approaches and the implementation of palliative care research. ..
- TEM with Digital and Cryopreparation SystemsAndrew Evan; Fiscal Year: 2003..Dr. Richard Gregory will employ immunohistochemistry to examine the role of a Streptococcus mutans 65 kDa fimbrial protein binding as a mechanism for the induction of dental carries. ..
- CLOTRIMAZOLE THERAPY FOR HUMAN DIARRHEAL DISEASESPAUL RUFO; Fiscal Year: 2003..To receive formal training in biostatistics, epidemiology, and research ethics, Dr. Rufo will complete a Masters of Medical Sciences degree program at Harvard Medical School. ..
- CLOTRIMAZOLE ENEMAS FOR POUCHITIS IN CHILDREN AND ADULTSPAUL RUFO; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided ..
- H+ NEUTRALIZATION AND C1- HOMEOSTASIS IN GASTRIC MUCOSADavid Soybel; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ANDROGEN RECEPTOR REGULATION OF PROSTATE CANCER GROWTHSamir Taneja; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- US VALUATION OF THE EUROQOL EQ-5D HEALTH STATESStephen Coons; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Racial Disparities in Inflammatory Bowel DiseaseGEOFFREY NGUYEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FLAVONOID BIOAVAILABILITY IN HUMANS-CELLULAR STUDIESThomas Walle; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings from the proposed studies should help us understand the bioavailability of the flavonoids, facilitating optimization of the chemopreventive utility of these natural or synthetic compounds. ..
- Clinical Approaches to Ileal Pouch DysfunctionBo Shen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The AIMS of study are to 1) investigate visceral hypersensitivity using barostat examination of the pouch; 2) conduct a randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial evaluating the use of amitriptyline in IPS. ..
- Gastric Injury In Trauma and Surgical SepsisDavid I Soybel; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such therapeutic strategies would be applicable not only to injury in the stomach, but to other regions of the GI tract affected by systemic stress and acute inflammation. ..