Genomes and Genes
fine needle biopsy
Summary: Using fine needles (finer than 22-gauge) to remove tissue or fluid specimens from the living body for examination in the pathology laboratory and for disease diagnosis.
Publications241 found, 100 shown here
- Advantage of EUS Trucut biopsy combined with fine-needle aspiration without immediate on-site cytopathologic examinationIan Storch
Division of Gastroenterology, Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 64:505-11. 2006..Endoscopic ultrasonographically guided fine-needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) is a safe and accurate method for obtaining diagnostic material from lesions within and immediately adjacent to the upper GI tract...
- Prevalence and distribution of carcinoma in patients with solitary and multiple thyroid nodules on sonographyMary C Frates
Thyroid Section, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Hypertension, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, PBB B4, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:3411-7. 2006..Controversy remains as to the optimal management of patients with multiple thyroid nodules...
- Diagnostic terminology and morphologic criteria for cytologic diagnosis of thyroid lesions: a synopsis of the National Cancer Institute Thyroid Fine-Needle Aspiration State of the Science ConferenceZubair W Baloch
Department of Pathology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 36:425-37. 2008..http://thyroidfna.cancer.gov/pages/info/agenda/)...
- Usefulness of thyroglobulin measurement in fine-needle aspiration biopsy specimens for diagnosing cervical lymph node metastasis in patients with papillary thyroid cancerTakashi Uruno
Department of Surgery, Kuma Hospital, 8 2 35 Shimoyamate dori, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0011, Japan
World J Surg 29:483-5. 2005..Thyroglobulin measurement in fine-needle aspiration biopsy wash-out is thus a useful technique for diagnosing lymph node metastasis of papillary thyroid cancer...
- Sonographic features of benign thyroid nodules: interobserver reliability and overlap with malignancyJeffrey R Wienke
Department of Radiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Ultrasound Med 22:1027-31. 2003..To prospectively determine the sonographic findings of nodular hyperplasia of the thyroid, to compare these with reported findings associated with malignancy, and to assess interobserver reliability...
- Continuing controversies in the management of thyroid nodulesM Regina Castro
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55902, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:926-31. 2005..However, the low frequency of this cancer, coupled with the high cost associated with case detection, has resulted in a lack of general acceptance of this recommendation...
- Ribonucleotide reductase subunit M2 mRNA expression in pretreatment biopsies obtained from unresectable pancreatic carcinomasTakao Itoi
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Tokyo Medical University, 6 7 1 Nishishinjuku, Tokyo 160 0023, Japan
J Gastroenterol 42:389-94. 2007..Recently, gemcitabine resistance has been associated with the ribonucleotide reductase subunit M2 (RRM2). In this prospective study, we hypothesized that RRM2 expression in PC biopsy specimens would be a significant predictor of outcome...
- Role of repeat fine-needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) in the management of thyroid nodulesZubair Baloch
Department of Pathology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 29:203-6. 2003....
- Focal thyroid lesions incidentally identified by integrated 18F-FDG PET/CT: clinical significance and improved characterizationJoon Young Choi
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Nucl Med 47:609-15. 2006..We also defined the prevalence of these lesions and their risk for cancer...
- Ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspiration of thyroid incidentaloma: correlation with pathological findingsIl Seong Nam-Goong
Departments of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 60:21-8. 2004....
- Risk for malignancy of thyroid nodules as assessed by sonographic criteria: the need for biopsyJason D Iannuccilli
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Rhode Island Hospital, Brown Medical School, 593 Eddy St, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Ultrasound Med 23:1455-64. 2004..To correlate sonographic and color Doppler characteristics of thyroid nodules with the results of sonographically guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy to establish the relative importance of these features in predicting risk for malignancy...
- Ultrasound-guided fine needle biopsy of intrahepatic nodules and low elevation of AFP in early diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinomaYi Mi He
Department of Ultrasonography, Union Hospital of Fujian Medical University, Fujian Provincial Ultrasonic Medical Institute, Fuzhou 350001, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 4:50-4. 2005..The aim of this study was to assess the value of ultrasound-guided fine needle biopsy of intrahepatic nodules and low elevation of serum AFP in the early diagnosis of HCC.
- Endobronchial ultrasound with transbronchial needle aspiration for restaging the mediastinum in lung cancerFelix J F Herth
Department of Internal Medicine, Pneumology and Critical Care Medicine, Thoraxklinik, University of Heidelberg, Amalienstr 5, D 69126, Heidelberg, Germany
J Clin Oncol 26:3346-50. 2008..To investigate the sensitivity and accuracy of endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) for restaging the mediastinum after induction chemotherapy in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Specialized DNA arrays for the differentiation of pancreatic tumorsMalte Buchholz
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 11:8048-54. 2005..The purpose of the current study was therefore to develop a novel diagnostic approach based on expression profiling of biopsy material using a specialized diagnostic cDNA array...
- Serum thyroglobulin, high-resolution ultrasound, and lymph node thyroglobulin in diagnosis of differentiated thyroid carcinoma nodal metastasesChristine L H Snozek
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street SW, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4278-81. 2007..Furthermore, the combination of undetectable serum Tg and an innocuous ultrasound might altogether obviate the need for biopsy...
- Impact of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle biopsy for diagnosis of pancreatic massesJulio Iglesias-Garcia
Gastroenterology Department, University Hospital, c Choupana s n 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
World J Gastroenterol 13:289-93. 2007....
- Thyroglobulin detection in fine-needle aspirates of cervical lymph nodes: a technique for the diagnosis of metastatic differentiated thyroid cancerNuno Cunha
Serviço de Patologia Clínica, Instituto Português de Oncologia de Coimbra Francisco Gentil, EPE, Av Bissaya Barreto, 98, 3000 Coimbra, Portugal
Eur J Endocrinol 157:101-7. 2007..Fine-needle aspiration cytology is frequently used for differential diagnosis of neck masses of unknown origin. Inconclusive and even false-negative results are not uncommon...
- Management of thyroid incidentalomasRobert J Silver
Department of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Diabetes, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Surg Clin North Am 84:907-19. 2004....
- Fine needle aspiration cytology as an adjunct to core biopsy in the assessment of symptomatic breast carcinomaS Pilgrim
Breast Unit, Luton and Dunstable Hospital, Lewsey Road, Luton, Bedfordshire LU4 0DZ, UK
Breast 14:411-4. 2005..We studied the contribution of FNAC, when done as an adjunct to CB, in cancer patients presenting symptomatically...
- Errors in thyroid gland fine-needle aspirationStephen S Raab
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15232, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 125:873-82. 2006..We currently are evaluating the effectiveness of error reduction initiatives that target pre-analytic and analytic portions of the diagnostic pathway...
- A comparison between low-volume referring regional centers and a high-volume referral center in quality of preoperative metastasis detection in esophageal carcinomaEvelyn P M van Vliet
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Gastroenterol 101:234-42. 2006..In this study, we compared the quality of preoperative metastasis detection between a high-volume referral center with that of low-volume referring regional centers...
- Immunocytochemical evaluation of thyroid neoplasms on thin-layer smears from fine-needle aspiration biopsiesEsther D Rossi
Division of Anatomic Pathology and Histology, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Cancer 105:87-95. 2005..A difficult cytologic diagnosis may be supported by an immunocytochemical study. The efficacy of a panel made up of RET, HBME-1, and Galectin-3 antibodies was evaluated in smears processed by thin-layer cytology (TLC)...
- Galectin-3 is not useful in thyroid FNAL J Mills
Department of Cytology, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, Portsmouth, UK
Cytopathology 16:132-8. 2005..Previous studies have suggested that galectin-3 immunohistochemistry may be useful in the fine needle aspiration (FNA) diagnosis of thyroid carcinoma as it has been reported to selectively stain carcinomas and not adenomas or goitres...
- Assessing the utility of a mutational assay for B-RAF as an adjunct to conventional fine needle aspiration of the thyroid glandMichael T Tetzlaff
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, 3400 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
Adv Anat Pathol 13:228-37. 2006..would a test enhance our ability to distinguish benign from malignant, would a test unveil a risk factor not otherwise known, and would detecting a mutation enable a therapeutic option specific to those patients who carry the mutation?..
- Fine needle biopsy cytology of breast lesions: a review of interpretative difficultiesSvante R Orell
Clinpath Laboratories, Adelaide, South Australia
Adv Anat Pathol 12:233-45. 2005....
- Characterization of thyroid 'follicular neoplasms' in fine-needle aspiration cytological specimens using a panel of immunohistochemical markers: a proposal for clinical applicationE Saggiorato
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Clinical and Biological Sciences, University of Turin, Regione Gonzole 10, 10043 Orbassano TO, Italy
Endocr Relat Cancer 12:305-17. 2005..The combination of three or more markers did not substantially improve the diagnostic accuracy of the test...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of celiac lymph nodesM A Eloubeidi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Alabama, 1540 3rd Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35294 0007 USA
Endoscopy 36:901-8. 2004
- Comparative genomic hybridization analysis for pancreatic cancer specimens obtained by endoscopic ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspirationHideaki Kitoh
Department of Pathology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Yamaguchi, Japan
J Gastroenterol 40:511-7. 2005..To overcome this difficulty, we applied CGH technology to cells obtained by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration (EUS-FNA)...
- Differential diagnosis of pancreatic cancer and focal pancreatitis by using EUS-guided FNAKuniyuki Takahashi
Department of Gastroenterology, Aichi Cancer Center Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 61:76-9. 2005..This study evaluated the effectiveness of EUS-guided FNA in the differential diagnosis between pancreatic cancer and focal pancreatitis, with particular reference to detection of the K-ras point mutation...
- Carcinosarcoma of the parotid gland: report of a case with immunohistochemical findingsBenjamin D Liess
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 116:702-4. 2007..An understanding of this manifestation is crucial to guide management and treatment of this disease...
- Melanoma metastases in regional lymph nodes are accurately detected by proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy of fine-needle aspirate biopsy samplesJonathan R Stretch
Sydney Melanoma Unit and Melanoma and Skin Cancer Research Institute, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, New South Wales 2050, Australia
Ann Surg Oncol 12:943-9. 2005..This study was undertaken to determine the accuracy of the MRS method and thereby establish a basis for the future development of a nonsurgical technique for assessing SNs...
- Evaluation and imaging of a thyroid noduleMarc D Coltrera
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Washington, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Surg Oncol Clin N Am 17:37-56, vii-viii. 2008..At the same time, improved primary evaluation techniques, most notably the increasing use of small, portable ultrasound imaging units, are making many clinicians more comfortable in recommending less invasive follow-up...
- Utility of immediate evaluation of endoscopic ultrasound-guided transesophageal fine needle aspiration of mediastinal lymph nodesShawn Clark Emery
Department of Pathology and Internal Medicine, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California 92103, USA
Acta Cytol 48:630-4. 2004..To assess the value of immediate cytologic evaluation (ICE) in mediastinal endoscopic ultrasound-guided transesophageal fine needle aspiration (EUS-FNA)...
- Clinical practice. The thyroid noduleLaszlo Hegedus
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
N Engl J Med 351:1764-71. 2004
- Psammoma body and its precursors in papillary thyroid carcinoma: a study by fine-needle aspiration cytologyDilip K Das
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Diagn Cytopathol 31:380-6. 2004..0% of cases with PB/irregular calcifications as opposed to 22.7% in cases without them (P=0.0012). Our observations suggest that LHGs, SHGs, and BHCs are precursors of PBs and IHDs serve as a nidus for irregular calcification...
- Interpretation of fine needle aspiration cytology of the breast: a comparison of cytological, frozen section, and final histological diagnosesA M Bofin
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Children s and Women s Health, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, N 7006 Trondheim, Norway
Cytopathology 15:297-304. 2004..However, cases with a suspicious or equivocal FNA should be considered for frozen section analysis...
- [Clinical utility of transbronchial needle aspiration of mediastinal lymph nodes in the diagnosis of sarcoidosis in stages I and II]Alberto Fernandez-Villar
Servicio de Neumologia, Hospital Xeral de Vigo, Complexo Hospitalario Universitario de Vigo CHUVI, Vigo, Pontevedra, Espana
Arch Bronconeumol 43:495-500. 2007..To analyze the individual and combined diagnostic yield and clinical utility of transbronchial needle aspiration and transbronchial biopsy in the histologic diagnosis of sarcoidosis in stages I and II...
- Thyroid fine-needle aspiration biopsy in children and adolescents: experience with 218 aspiratesMojghan Amrikachi
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, The Methodist Hospital, 6565 Fannin St, Main Building, Room 227, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 32:189-92. 2005..The acceptance of this procedure in the routine evaluation of young patients' thyroid nodules should reduce the number of unnecessary surgeries for benign thyroid disease...
- Diagnosis of lymphoma by image-guided needle biopsies: fine needle aspiration biopsy, core biopsy or both?Esther Ravinsky
Sections of Cytology and Hematopathology and Immunology Laboratory, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Acta Cytol 49:51-7. 2005..To determine whether or not concurrent core biopsy adds to results obtained from image-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) in cases of lymphoma...
- Fine needle aspiration of the thyroid: a cytohistologic correlation and study of discrepant casesLourdes R Ylagan
The Lauren V Ackerman Laboratory of Surgical Pathology, Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri 63108, USA
Thyroid 14:35-41. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the causes for discordance between the interpretation on FNA and the pathologic findings in the resected thyroid...
- Radiologic and pathologic findings of nonpalpable thyroid carcinomas detected by ultrasonography in a medical screening centerJi Yang Kim
Seoul National University Hospital, Healthcare Gangnam Center, Korea
J Ultrasound Med 27:215-23. 2008..The purpose of this study was to investigate the ultrasonographic and pathologic findings of nonpalpable thyroid carcinomas and reliable guidelines for fine-needle aspiration (FNA)...
- Evaluation of accuracy of fine needle aspiration cytology for diagnosis of canine mammary tumours: comparative features with human tumoursG D Cassali
Laboratorio de Patologia Comparada, Depto Patologia Geral ICB UFMG, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Cytopathology 18:191-6. 2007....
- Diagnosis of pulmonary hamartoma by fine needle biopsyBenjamin Wood
PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and QEII Medical Centre, Nedlands, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Acta Cytol 52:412-7. 2008To review the features of pulmonary hamartoma (PH) on fine needle biopsy (FNB), with emphasis on features that allow specific diagnosis.
- Thyroid nodules: does the suspicion for malignancy really justify the increased thyroidectomy rates?George H Sakorafas
Fourth Department of Surgery, Athens University, Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Surg Oncol 15:43-55. 2006..However, accurate preoperative diagnosis of thyroid cancer within a thyroid nodule is not always possible and, although the problem of unnecessary surgery can further be diminished, it cannot be completely eliminated...
- Chromogenic in situ hybridization to detect HER-2/neu gene amplification in histological and ThinPrep-processed breast cancer fine-needle aspirates: a sensitive and practical method in the trastuzumab eraAmina Vocaturo
Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144 Rome, Italy
Oncologist 11:878-86. 2006..Therefore, CISH analysis, which is avaluable and reproducible alternative to FISH for selecting breast cancer patients for trastuzumab therapy, can lower false-positive immunocytochemistry findings in ThinPrep-processed FNAs...
- EGFR mutations are detected comparably in cytologic and surgical pathology specimens of nonsmall cell lung cancerJason H Smouse
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer 117:67-72. 2009..Concern over such interference has discouraged testing cytologic samples, but the adequacy of cytologic specimens for EGFR sequencing has not been studied...
- Cytologic examination of fine-needle aspirates from mammary gland tumors in the dog: diagnostic accuracy with comparison to histopathology and association with postoperative outcomeDaniela Simon
Small Animal Hospital, University of Veterinary Medicine, Hannover, Germany
Vet Clin Pathol 38:521-8. 2009..Malignant tumors may carry a poor prognosis and necessitate surgery. Few data are available on the value of cytologic examination as a diagnostic or prognostic tool for mammary tumors in dogs...
- Effectiveness and safety of endobronchial ultrasound-transbronchial needle aspiration: a systematic reviewL Varela-Lema
Galician Agency for Health Technology Assessment, Department of Health, Galician Regional Authority, University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Eur Respir J 33:1156-64. 2009..The evidence is promising for sarcoidosis but is not sufficient for lymphoma...
- Endoscopic ultrasound fine needle aspirate DNA analysis to differentiate malignant and benign pancreatic massesAsif Khalid
Department of Medicine, The University of Pittsburgh and VA Pittsburgh Health Care, PA 15213, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2493-500. 2006..Endoscopic ultrasound fine needle aspirate (EUS-FNA) of pancreatic masses remains inconclusive in a subset of patients. The role of EUS-FNA molecular analysis in this context is studied...
- Efficacy and safety of the eXcelon transbronchial aspiration needle in mediastinal lymph node enlargement: a case-control studyAlberto Fernandez-Villar
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Xeral Hospital Cíes, Vigo, Spain
Respiration 74:208-13. 2007..Recently, the eXcelon transbronchial needle (Boston Scientific, Boston, Mass., USA) was commercialized, and to our knowledge, no comparative studies with other types of needles have been performed up to date...
- Gemcitabine sensitivity-related mRNA expression in endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of unresectable pancreatic cancerReiko Ashida
Department of Gastroenterology, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 28:83. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine a predictive indicator of gemcitabine (GEM) efficacy in unresectable pancreatic cancer using tissue obtained by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy (EUS-FNA)...
- Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules smaller than 5 mm in the maximum diameter: assessment of efficacy and pathological findingsDong Wook Kim
Department of Radiology, Busan Paik Hospital, Inje University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Korean J Radiol 10:435-40. 2009....
- Chromosomal abnormalities detected by multicolor fluorescence in situ hybridization in fine-needle aspirates from patients with small lymphocytic lymphoma are useful for predicting survivalNancy P Caraway
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 114:315-22. 2008....
- Fine needle aspiration is a feasible and accurate technique in the diagnosis of lymphomaR Marshall Austin
J Clin Oncol 23:9029-30; author reply 9030-1. 2005
- Comparison of cytomorphology in specimens obtained by random periareolar fine needle aspiration and ductal lavage from women at high risk for development of breast cancerCarola M Zalles
Department of Pathology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 97:191-7. 2006..RPFNA was more likely to yield an evaluable specimen, but if a cellular DL specimen was obtained, morphology was generally similar...
- Transbronchial needle aspiration in sarcoidosis: yield and predictors of a positive aspirateRocco Trisolini
Unit of Thoracic Endoscopy and Pulmonology, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:837-42. 2008..This study determined the diagnostic contribution of standard transbronchial needle aspiration in a large series of patients with sarcoidosis and evaluated predictor variables that might influence its results...
- FDG-PET detected thyroid incidentalomas: need for further investigation?Chandrakanth Are
Department of Surgical Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1233 York Avenue, 16 I, New York, New York, 10021, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:239-47. 2007..Incidental thyroid abnormalities are increasingly detected in patients undergoing PET scans. The aim of this study was to review our experience with the management of PET detected thyroid incidentalomas in a large single institution series...
- The endocrinologists' view of ultrasound guidelines for fine needle aspirationH Jack Baskin
Thyroid 16:207-8. 2006
- CT guided percutaneous fine needle biopsy of small lung lesions in outpatients. Safety and efficacy of the procedure compared to inpatientsMaurizio Romano
Dipartimento Assistenziale di Radiologia e Radioterapia, Universita degli Studi Federico II, Naples
Radiol Med 108:275-82. 2004To compare the safety and efficacy of CT-guided fine needle biopsy (FNAB) of small (<15 mm) lung lesions in inpatients and outpatients.
- Computed tomography guided needle biopsy: experience from 1,300 proceduresRubens Chojniak
Department of Radiology, Hospital do Cancer A C Camargo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sao Paulo Med J 124:10-4. 2006..Accuracy depends on target organ and needle type. Cutting needles present advantages over fine needles. This study presents experience from CT guided biopsies performed at an oncology center...
- Needle tract implantation of hepatocellular carcinoma after fine needle biopsyYueh Wei Liu
Department of Surgery and Liver Transplant Program, Chang Gung University, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical Center 123, Ta Pei Road, Niao Sung, Kaohsiung 83301, Taiwan
Dig Dis Sci 52:228-31. 2007The reported incidence of needle tract implantation of hepatocellular carcinoma after fine needle biopsy ranges from 1 to 5%...
- Diagnosis of extramammary malignancy metastatic to the breast by fine needle biopsyBenjamin Wood
PathWest Laboratory Medicine WA, QEII Medical Centre and School of Surgery and Pathology, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Pathology 40:345-51. 2008To review and illustrate the findings in fine needle biopsy (FNB) of extramammary malignancies presenting with breast metastases (MMB).
- Detection of epidermal growth factor receptor mutation in transbronchial needle aspirates of non-small cell lung cancerAtsushi Horiike
Thoracic Center, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Chest 131:1628-34. 2007....
- Characterisation of breast fine-needle aspiration biopsies by centrosome aberrations and genomic instabilityU Kronenwett
Department of Oncology and Pathology, Division of Cellular and Molecular Analysis, Cancer Center Karolinska CCK, R8 04, Karolinska Institute and Hospital, 17176 Stockholm, Sweden
Br J Cancer 92:389-95. 2005..Furthermore, this study shows the feasibility of centrosomal analysis in FNAB of the breast and suggests centrosomal aberrations as possessing diagnostic and prognostic value...
- Real-time endobronchial ultrasound guided transbronchial needle aspiration for sampling mediastinal lymph nodesF J F Herth
Department of Internal Medicine, Pneumology and Critical Care Medicine, Thoraxklinik, University of Heidelberg, Germany
Thorax 61:795-8. 2006..Real-time endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) guidance is a new method of TBNA that may increase the ability to sample these nodes and hence to determine a diagnosis. A descriptive study was conducted to test this new method...
- Evaluation of the thyroid noduleChristopher D Lansford
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Cancer Control 13:89-98. 2006..Clinical decision making depends on proper evaluation of the thyroid nodule...
- Diagnosis of deep-seated lymphoma and leukemia by endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsyJudith L Pugh
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 19th Street South, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 125:703-9. 2006..One case of hairy cell leukemia was diagnosed. EUS-FNAB is a minimally invasive, cost-effective, and useful tool for the primary diagnosis or staging of deep-seated lymphomas...
- Management of nonpalpable breast lesions in a modern functional breast unitVittorio Altomare
Breast Unit, Campus Bio Medico University, Rome, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 93:85-9. 2005..Compared to surgical biopsy, VACB and ABBI system are less expensive, and have smaller emotional and aesthetical impact on patients; however they retain the same sensitivity and specificity...
- Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid nodules: comparison in efficacy according to nodule sizeDong Wook Kim
Department of Radiology, Busan Paik Hospital, Inje University College of Medicine, Busan, South Korea
Thyroid 19:27-31. 2009..The objective of this study was to compare the efficacy and procedure time of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy (US-FNAB) of thyroid nodules, according to the nodule size...
- Ultrasound-guided fine-needle capillary biopsy of thyroid nodules, coupled with on-site cytologic review, improves resultsG Ceresini
Department of Internal Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, School of Endocrinology, University of Parma, Parma, Italy
Thyroid 14:385-9. 2004..We conclude that the combination of US guidance, capillary collection with no-aspiration technique, and on-site review of slides, characterizes an advantageous method for thyroid nodule fine-needle biopsy...
- Positron emission tomography (PET) positive thyroid incidentaloma: the risk of malignancy observed in a tertiary referral centerQuyen D Chu
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, Biomedical Research Foundation of Northwest Louisiana, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
Am Surg 72:272-5. 2006..The incidence of PET thyroid incidentalomas was 1.2 per cent and the incidence of malignancy was 28.6 per cent. Given the high likelihood of malignancy, a further diagnostic workup for surgically fit patients is warranted...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of lymph node with metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma and granulomatous (sarcoid-like) reactionPhilip C W Lui
Pathology 36:273-4. 2004
- Gene expression profiles obtained from fine-needle aspirations of breast cancer reliably identify routine prognostic markers and reveal large-scale molecular differences between estrogen-negative and estrogen-positive tumorsLajos Pusztai
Departments of Breast Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 009, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:2406-15. 2003..33)P]dCTP-labeled cDNA probes were generated and hybridized to cDNA membrane microarrays that contained 30,000 human sequence clones, including 10,890 expressed sequence tags...
- Thyroid B-flow twinkling sign: a new feature of papillary cancerLuca Brunese
Department of Health Science, Chair of Radiology, University of Molise, Campobasso, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 159:447-51. 2008..Using B-flow imaging (BFI), we identified a new sign (the twinkling sign; BFI-TS) in 'suspect' PTC nodules, which appeared to be generated by microcalcifications...
- Role of surgeon-performed ultrasound in predicting malignancy in patients with indeterminate thyroid nodulesWilliam Mendez
Department of Surgery, University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, San Juan, PR, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 15:2487-92. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine the value of surgeon-performed ultrasound (SUS) in predicting thyroid malignancy in patients with indeterminate fine-needle aspiration (FNA) cytology...
- Validation of a five-tier cytodiagnostic system for thyroid fine needle aspiration biopsies using cytohistologic correlationBrian J Yoder
Department of Pathology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0275, USA
Thyroid 16:781-6. 2006..We present our experience using a five-tier system, including the diagnostic terminology: benign, indeterminate, suspicious, malignant, and unsatisfactory...
- [Thyroid operation with routine frozen section--a self experience]Gábor Tussai
Szent Pantaleon Kórház Dunaújváros, Altalános Sebészeti Osztály
Magy Seb 59:160-3. 2006..The authors suggest the use of FS when results of FNA are interpreted as suspect or malignant...
- Utility of I-123 thyroid uptake scan in incidental thyroid nodules: an old test with a new roleScott M Wilhelm
Division of Surgical Oncology, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Surgery 144:511-5; discussion 515-7. 2008..In an incidentally discovered multinodular thyroid goiter, determining which nodule to biopsy is challenging. This study examined whether I-123 thyroid uptake scans (TUS) could guide this biopsy...
- The rational use of fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) in diagnosing thyroid nodulesM Sidoti
Endocrinology Unit, San Martino University Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Minerva Endocrinol 31:159-72. 2006..Indeed, to perform FNAB on all nodules may be regarded as an excess of zeal. Therefore, it seems advisable that the endocrinologist should be able to confirm on the spot the necessity and utility of FNAB...
- Endoscopic ultrasound elastography: the first step towards virtual biopsy? Preliminary results in 49 patientsM Giovannini
Endoscopic Unit, Paoli Calmettes Institute, Marseilles, France
Endoscopy 38:344-8. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the ability of endoscopic ultrasound elastography to differentiate between benign and malignant pancreatic masses and lymph nodes...
- The value of fine-needle aspiration biopsy in subcentimeter thyroid nodulesDilek Berker
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Ankara Numune Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Thyroid 18:603-8. 2008..We compared the ultrasonographic features of thyroid nodules less than and greater than one centimeter and correlated this information with the cytological results for TFNAB and the final histopathological diagnosis in selected patients...
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy specimen with a predominance of Hürthle cells: a dilemma in the management of nodular thyroid diseaseDiya I Alaedeen
Department of Surgery, MetroHealth Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44109, USA
Surgery 138:650-6; discussion 656-7. 2005..A fine-needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) specimen of a thyroid nodule with a predominance of Hürthle cells usually is indicative of a Hürthle cell neoplasm, but it also may occur with nonneoplastic disease...
- The role of ultrasound in thyroid nodules with a cytology reading of "suspicious for papillary thyroid carcinoma"Jin Young Kwak
Department of Radiology, Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Thyroid 18:517-22. 2008..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the role of US in the management of thyroid nodules with a FNAB reading suspicious for PTC...
- [The frequency of malignant disease in cytological group of suspected cancer (ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of nonpalpable thyroid nodules)]Edita Miseikyte-Kaubriene
Vilniaus universiteto Onkologijos institutas
Medicina (Kaunas) 44:189-94. 2008..Group suspicious for cancer largely involves follicular neoplasms as well as lesions with cytological features of malignancy...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology of the thyroid: a cytohistologic study with evaluation of discordant casesSanjay Jogai
Department of Cytology, Kuwait Cancer Control Center, Sufat
Acta Cytol 49:483-8. 2005..To analyze the diagnostic efficacy of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) in the initial evaluation of thyroid nodules, with special emphasis on discrepant cytologic diagnoses...
- Endoscopic ultrasonography in patients with large gastric folds at endoscopy and biopsies negative for malignancy: predictors of malignant disease and clinical impactAngels Gines
Endoscopy Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Institut de Malalties Digestives i Metaboliques, Centre de Diagnòstic Biomèdic Hospital Clínic, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Gastroenterol 101:64-9. 2006....
- Role of fine-needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of secondary tumors of the thyroid--twenty years' experienceManju Aron
Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Diagn Cytopathol 34:240-5. 2006..FNAC alone was required to accurately diagnose secondary tumors of the thyroid in a majority of cases (17/24); however, in some cases ancillary techniques may be required for a definite diagnosis...
- Fine needle aspiration cytology in diagnosis and management of thyroid diseaseY Bajaj
ENT Department, Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, UK
J Laryngol Otol 120:467-9. 2006..However, results must be interpreted with the clinical picture in mind...
- Are all thyroid papillae malignant? An unusual pitfall in FNACM Powari
Department of Histopathology, Royal Cornwall Hospital, Truro, UK
Cytopathology 18:120-2. 2007
- Sentinel node mapping and biopsy in thyroid cancer: a surgical perspectiveM R Pelizzo
Department of Surgical Science, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani, 2, 35100, Padova, Italy
Biomed Pharmacother 60:405-8. 2006..In prospective SLN technique might be proposed as a relevant tool in lymphoadenectomy decision in DTC patients with a small tumor...
- Intraoperative frozen-section analysis for thyroid nodules: a step toward clarity or confusion?Gerhard F Huber
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, Calgary Health Region, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:874-81. 2007....
- [Nodule diagnosed as follicular patterned lesion: are biomarkers the promise?]Janete M Cerutti
Departamento de Morfologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 51:832-42. 2007....
- US, colour-Doppler US and fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis of thyroid nodulesF Stacul
UCO di Radiologia, Universita di Trieste, Ospedale di Cattinara, Strada di Fiume 449, I 34149 Trieste, Italy
Radiol Med 112:751-62. 2007..The purpose of this study was to correlate the diagnosis of benign or malignant thyroid nodules obtained with grey-scale ultrasound (US) and colour-Doppler US with the cytological findings after US-guided fine-needle aspiration (FNA)...
- [Thyroid incidentaloma. Overdiagnosis and overtreatment of healthy persons with thyroid illness?]H Dralle
Klinik fUr Allgemein, Viszeral und Gefässchirurgie, Universitätsklinikum Halle Saale
Chirurg 78:677-86. 2007..Frozen selection and/or early final histopathology should be available to avoid two-stage thyroid cancer operations...
- [The role of fine needle aspiration biopsy in differentiated thyroid carcinoma]Delia Ciobanu
Disciplina Morfopatologie, Facultatea de Medicina, Universitatea de Medicină şi Farmacie Gr T Popa, Iasi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 111:49-56. 2007..The aim of the study was to demonstrate the utility of FNAB in preoperative diagnosis of thyroid carcinoma...
- Elastography: new developments in ultrasound for predicting malignancy in thyroid nodulesT Rago
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Via Paradisa, 2, 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2917-22. 2007..US elastography has been applied to differentiate malignant from benign lesions...
- Fine-needle aspiration cytology of thyroid nodules--how well are we doing?Y S Cheung
Department of Surgery, North District Hospital, Po Kin Road, Sheung Shui, Hong Kong
Hong Kong Med J 13:12-5. 2007..To review the accuracy of fine-needle aspiration cytology in diagnosing non-toxic thyroid nodules and determine what factors are predictive of malignancy in patients with indeterminate cytology results...
- Role of frozen section associated with intraoperative cytology in comparison to FNA and FS alone in the management of thyroid nodulesF Basolo
Department of Surgery, Division of Pathology, University of Pisa, Via Roma 57, 56126, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Surg Oncol 33:769-75. 2007..To clarify the role of intraoperative exam (FS and IC), also comparing to FNA, we have reviewed our own experiences...
- Sonographic diagnosis of thyroid nodules: correlation with the results of sonographically guided fine-needle aspiration biopsyDragica Obad Kovacevic
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital Merkur, Zajceva 19, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
J Clin Ultrasound 35:63-7. 2007..To assess the reliability of sonography in differentiating benign from malignant thyroid nodules and selecting lesions for fine-needle aspiration (FNA)...
- Fine-needle aspiration biopsy-RT-PCR expression analysis of prothymosin alpha and parathymosin in thyroid: novel proliferation markers?Konstantinos P Letsas
Medical School of Ioannina, Greece
Neoplasma 54:57-62. 2007....
- Combined clinical, thyroid ultrasound and cytological features help to predict thyroid malignancy in follicular and Hupsilonrthle cell thyroid lesions: results from a series of 505 consecutive patientsT Rago
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:13-20. 2007..The diagnostic value of atypia at cytology, clinical parameters and echographic patterns were examined to establish the risk of malignancy in 505 patients with follicular and Hupsilonrthle cell thyroid nodules at cytology...
- Molecular Classification of Suspicious Thyroid TumorsMartha Zeiger; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Microarray analysis of thyroid neoplasmMartha Zeiger; Fiscal Year: 2004..This will be performed using quantitative real-time RT-PCR on RNA samples from a panel of thyroid tumors. ..
- Dectection of occult mediastinal lymph node mestastasesMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the R33 component of the grant application these criteria will be prospectively evaluated and correlated with clinical outcome in a second, larger cohort of patients. ..
- Magneto-motive ultrasound imaging using molecular specific nanoparticlesStanislav Y Emelianov; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Image-guided intervention system for pancreatic cancerNicusor Iftimia; Fiscal Year: 2007..An animal study will be performed as well to test the efficiency of laser therapy. ..
- Preoperative and follow-up tests for thyroid tumorsGregory Riggins; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Great Lakes/New England Clinical Epidemiology/ValidationDean Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2007..proposes a panel of serum based proteomics discovered biomarkers followed by endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle biopsy of cells with PCR detection of high risk genes discovered by genomic profiling...
- Extracellular matrix and protease markers of malignant thyroid neoplasmElectron Kebebew; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will use these results to design a multicenter clinical trial evaluating the diagnostic and prognostic value of ECM1 and TMPRSS4 expression in patients with thyroid neoplasm. ..
- Biodegradable Sealant for Biopsy Tract in Soft TissueLUCJAN HRONOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2006..There is presently no commercially available product in the United Stares to prevent or reduce the pneumothorax rate after lung Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy (FNAB) Procedures. ..
- MICROCIRCULATION OF UVEAL MELANOMARobert Folberg; Fiscal Year: 2002..The investigators expect to show that ultrasonographic criteria based on power image spectrum parameters can provide a noninvasive substitute for biopsy. ..
- EXPRESSION AND MODULATION OF MULTIDRUG RESISTANCEBranimir Sikic; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- PPARgamma: Biomarker for Breast Cancer in Older WomenPearl Seo; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Smart Optical Probe for Guidance of Fine Needle BiopsyNicusor Iftimia; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is evident that earlier diagnosis results in an improved outcome and reduced mortality from disease. ..
- Validation of Prognostic and Diagnostic molecular tests in MesotheliomaRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Validation of Prognostic and Diagnostic molecular tests in MesotheliomaRaphael Bueno; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Proteomic Biomarkers in Pancreatic Cyst FluidsAnthony Yeung; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Genomic Markers of Breast Cancer Prevention Induced by hCG in Women at High RiskJose Russo; Fiscal Year: 2007..This knowledge will serve as the basis for establishing novel genomic signatures as intermediate biomarkers for larger preventive clinical trials at the completion of this project. ..