Genomes and Genes
Summary: Removal and examination of tissue obtained through a transdermal needle inserted into the specific region, organ, or tissue being analyzed.
Publications327 found, 100 shown here
- Sampling error and intraobserver variation in liver biopsy in patients with chronic HCV infectionArie Regev
Division of Hepatology, Center for Liver Diseases, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida 33136, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2614-8. 2002....
- Role of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of indeterminate and suspicious axillary lymph nodes in the initial staging of breast carcinomaSavitri Krishnamurthy
Department of Pathology, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 95:982-8. 2002..This study was undertaken to determine the diagnostic accuracy of US-guided FNA of indeterminate/suspicious/metastatic-appearing axillary lymph nodes during the initial staging of breast carcinoma...
- Sonographically guided core needle biopsy of cervical lymphadenopathy in patients without known malignancyByung Moon Kim
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Kangbuk Samsung Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Ultrasound Med 26:585-91. 2007The purpose of this study was to retrospectively evaluate the efficacy of sonographically guided core needle biopsy (core biopsy) for diagnosing the causes of cervical lymphadenopathy in patients without known malignancy.
- CT-guided needle biopsy of lung lesions: a survey of severe complication based on 9783 biopsies in JapanNoriyuki Tomiyama
Department of Radiology, Osaka University Graduated School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Eur J Radiol 59:60-4. 2006The aim of our study was to update the rate of severe complications following CT-guided needle biopsy in Japan via a mailed survey.
- Risk management of renal biopsy: 1387 cases over 30 years in a single centreP Stratta
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Amedeo Avogadro University, Maggiore Hospital, Novara, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 37:954-63. 2007..We aimed to obtain a comprehensive assessment of safety/utility ratio of percutaneous renal biopsy...
- Four cases of a cerebral air embolism complicating a percutaneous transthoracic needle biopsySoo Jung Um
Department of Internal Medicine, Dong A University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Korean J Radiol 10:81-4. 2009A percutaneous transthoracic needle biopsy is a common procedure in the practice of pulmonology. An air embolism is a rare but potentially fatal complication of a percutaneous transthoracic needle biopsy...
- The percutaneous needle biopsy is safe and recommended in the diagnosis of musculoskeletal massesJ A Welker
Washington Cancer Institute, Washington, District of Columbia 20010, USA
Cancer 89:2677-86. 2000The purpose of this study was to analyze the role of percutaneous core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of musculoskeletal sarcomas.
- Personalized prediction of tumor response and cancer progression on prostate needle biopsyMichael J Donovan
Aureon Laboratories, Inc, New York, New York 10701, USA
J Urol 182:125-32. 2009..We developed a patient specific, biology driven tool to predict outcome at diagnosis. We also investigated whether biopsy androgen receptor levels predict a durable response to therapy after secondary treatment...
- Impact of liver biopsy size on histological evaluation of chronic viral hepatitis: the smaller the sample, the milder the diseaseGuido Colloredo
Liver Unit, Seriate Hospital, Bergamo, Italy
J Hepatol 39:239-44. 2003..In chronic viral hepatitis, liver biopsy is performed for assessing disease activity and fibrosis. In this study, we evaluated the impact of the size of liver biopsy on the grading and staging...
- Management of the clinically inapparent adrenal mass ("incidentaloma")Melvin M Grumbach
University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:424-9. 2003..The panel also advocated a multidisciplinary approach to managing adrenal incidentalomas. The statement is an independent report of the panel and is not a policy statement of the National Institutes of Health or the federal government...
- Utilization rates, complications and costs of percutaneous liver biopsy: a population-based study including 4275 biopsiesRobert P Myers
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Liver Unit, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Liver Int 28:705-12. 2008..Because biopsy practices may be changing, we studied patterns of use in a large Canadian Health Region. We aimed to describe trends in biopsy utilization and the incidence and costs of complications from a population-based perspective...
- Bronchoscopy and needle biopsy techniques for diagnosis and staging of lung cancerPeter Mazzone
Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Clin Chest Med 23:137-58, ix. 2002..Flexible bronchoscopy (FB) and transthoracic needle biopsy (TNB) are the most widely used techniques for this purpose...
- Prevalence of malignancy within cytologically indeterminate thyroid nodulesBarbara Miller
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Surgery, UT Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, TX, 75390 9156, USA
Am J Surg 188:459-62. 2004..We examined the prevalence of malignancy within cytologically indeterminate follicular thyroid lesions in an attempt to predict malignancy based on cytologic features...
- EBUS-TBNA for the diagnosis of central parenchymal lung lesions not visible at routine bronchoscopyKurt G Tournoy
Department of Respiratory Medicine and Lung Oncologic Network, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Lung Cancer 63:45-9. 2009..Obtaining a tissue diagnosis of malignancy is challenging in patients with suspected lung cancer presenting with centrally located intrapulmonary masses...
- Missed breast cancers at US-guided core needle biopsy: how to reduce themJi Hyun Youk
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Research Institute of Radiological Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seodaemun Ku, Shinchon Dong 134, Seoul 120 752, South Korea
Radiographics 27:79-94. 2007Ultrasonographically (US) guided core needle biopsy is currently recognized as a reliable alternative to surgical biopsy for the histopathologic diagnosis of breast lesions...
- Prospective evaluation of a 21-sample needle biopsy procedure designed to improve the prostate cancer detection rateAlexandre De La Taille
Department of Urology, CHU Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Urology 61:1181-6. 2003To evaluate prospectively the diagnostic yield of a 21-sample ultrasound-guided needle biopsy procedure for prostate cancer in patients with elevated serum prostate-specific antigen and/or abnormal digital rectal examination findings.
- A single injection of lidocaine as local anesthesia for ultrasound guided needle biopsy of the prostateGianluigi Taverna
Department of Urology, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano Milan, Italy
J Urol 167:222-3. 2002..We evaluated the effectiveness of a single injection of lidocaine on patient tolerance of multiple needle biopsies of the prostate...
- Application of an immunodiagnostic method for improving preoperative diagnosis of nodular thyroid lesionsA Bartolazzi
Department of Oncology Pathology, Cellular and Molecular Tumor Pathology, Cancer Center Karolinska, CCK R8 04 Karolinska Hospital, 17176, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 357:1644-50. 2001..We undertook an international multicentre study to assess the usefulness of immunohistocytochemical staining for two potential markers of malignant thyrocytes...
- Real-time endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration of mediastinal and hilar lymph nodesKazuhiro Yasufuku
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Chest 126:122-8. 2004....
- Prospective evaluation of prostate cancer detected on biopsies 1, 2, 3 and 4: when should we stop?B Djavan
Department of Urology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Urol 166:1679-83. 2001..ml. These features were compared to those detected on prostate biopsy 1...
- Preoperative diagnosis of clear cell "sugar" tumor of the lung by computed tomography-guided fine-needle biopsy and core-needle biopsyMarcia Edelweiss
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 11:421-6. 2007..and ultrastructurally to be CCST, and one case of CCST diagnosed preoperatively by transbronchial core-needle biopsy. We here depict an additional case of CCST of the lung that was preoperatively diagnosed by computed ..
- The value of 18F-choline PET/CT in patients with elevated PSA-level and negative prostate needle biopsy for localisation of prostate cancerI Igerc
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Endocrinology, PET CT Center, Klagenfurt, State Hospital Klagenfurt, St Veiterstrasse 47, A 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 35:976-83. 2008....
- Intraductal carcinoma of the prostate without invasive carcinoma on needle biopsy: emphasis on radical prostatectomy findingsBrian D Robinson
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Urol 184:1328-33. 2010..Limited information is available on radical prostatectomy findings in men with intraductal carcinoma of the prostate on needle core biopsy in the absence of invasive prostate cancer...
- Prognostic markers in breast cancer: the reliability of HER2/neu status in core needle biopsy of 325 patients with primary breast cancerSusanne Taucher
Department of Surgery, Vienna University Medical School, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 116:26-31. 2004..Since core needle biopsy is increasingly used for the diagnosis of breast cancer, the purpose of this study was to assess the ..
- US-guided core-needle biopsy of the breast: how many specimens are necessary?Joel E Fishman
Department of Radiology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Jackson Memorial Hospital Rm WW279, 1611 NW 12th Ave, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Radiology 226:779-82. 2003..To analyze the diagnostic yield for each specimen obtained at 14-gauge ultrasonography (US)-guided breast biopsy and compare these findings with mass, procedural, and specimen characteristics that could affect yield...
- Risk of invasion and axillary lymph node metastasis in ductal carcinoma in situ diagnosed by core-needle biopsyP Meijnen
Department of Surgery, The Netherlands Cancer Institute, Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 94:952-6. 2007..and axillary lymph node metastasis in patients with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) diagnosed by preoperative core-needle biopsy. The data were used to select criteria for patients in whom sentinel node (SN) biopsy might be indicated.
- Evaluation of routine application of P504S, 34betaE12 and p63 immunostaining on 250 prostate needle biopsy specimensKitty Pavlakis
Pathology Department, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, 1 Rimini St, 12462, Athens, Greece
Int Urol Nephrol 42:325-30. 2010We aimed to determine whether a standard P504S, 34betaE12 and p63 immunostaining of prostate core needle biopsy specimens can optimize diagnostic accuracy of conventional staining methods.
- Evaluation of abnormal mammography results and palpable breast abnormalitiesKarla Kerlikowske
University of California, San Francisco, General Internal Medicine Section, Department of Veterans Affairs, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Ann Intern Med 139:274-84. 2003....
- Prostate cancer grading: the effect of stratification of needle biopsy Gleason Score 4 + 3 as high or intermediate gradeDeirdre M Fanning
UCD School of Medicine and Medical Science, Conway Institute of Biomolecular and Biomedical Research, Dublin, Ireland
BJU Int 105:631-5. 2010To assess the discrepancy between needle biopsy (NB) and radical prostatectomy (RP) Gleason score (GS) in Irish men, specifically the influence of the stratification of GS 4 + 3 on overall levels of agreement, levels of discrepancy and ..
- Automatic core needle biopsy: a diagnostic option for head and neck massesGurston G Nyquist
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:184-9. 2008To examine the role of core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of head and neck masses.
- Diagnostic accuracy of large-core needle biopsy for nonpalpable breast disease: a meta-analysisH M Verkooijen
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 82:1017-21. 2000..Five cohort studies were included in a meta-analysis. Sensitivity rate, histological agreement between needle biopsy and subsequent surgery or long-term mammographic follow-up and clinical consequences for different disease ..
- PTOV1 expression predicts prostate cancer in men with isolated high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia in needle biopsyJuan Morote
Department of Urology, Vall d Hebron Hospital, Vall d Hebron Hospital Research Institute, and Autónoma University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 14:2617-22. 2008To analyze the expression of PTOV1 in high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HG-PIN) and to explore its usefulness to predict prostate cancer in patients with isolated HG-PIN in needle biopsy (prostate needle biopsy).
- Anatomically based guidelines for core needle biopsy of bone tumors: implications for limb-sparing surgeryPatrick T Liu
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 13400 E Shea Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Radiographics 27:189-205; discussion 206. 2007Diagnostic image-guided needle biopsy plays a vital role in the work-up and treatment of patients with extremity bone tumors...
- Extent and histologic pattern of atypical ductal hyperplasia present on core needle biopsy specimens of the breast can predict ductal carcinoma in situ in subsequent excisionMichael J Wagoner
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 131:112-21. 2009Atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) diagnosed by core needle biopsy (CNB) is regarded as an indication for surgical excision...
- Aspiration needle biopsy in preoperative selection of thyroid nodules defined at fine-needle aspiration as microfollicular lesionsA Carpi
Department of Reproduction and Aging, University of Pisa, Italy
Am J Clin Oncol 22:65-9. 1999..The authors retrospectively assess the use of aspiration needle biopsy (either 16- or 18-gauge needles) in the preoperative selection of the nodules diagnosed as microfollicular at ..
- Prognostic significance of Gleason score discrepancies between needle biopsy and radical prostatectomyMichael Muntener
Department of Urology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Eur Urol 53:767-75; discussion 775-6. 2008Discordance between the Gleason score (GS) on needle biopsy (NB) and the GS of the radical prostatectomy (RP) specimen is a common finding...
- Freehand MRI-guided preoperative needle localization of breast lesions after MRI-guided vacuum-assisted core needle biopsy without marker placementStephanie M W Y van de Ven
Department of Radiology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:101-9. 2010To evaluate the feasibility of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided preoperative needle localization (PNL) of breast lesions previously sampled by MRI-guided vacuum-assisted core needle biopsy (VACNB) without marker placement.
- Breast cancer hormone receptor assay results of core needle biopsy and modified radical mastectomy specimens from the same patientsGemma B Uy
Department of Surgery, Philippine General Hospital, University of the Philippines, Manila, Philippine
Clin Breast Cancer 10:154-9. 2010..Hormone receptor (HR) expression is the most important biomarker and is the cornerstone in the management of breast cancer. Therefore, the accuracy of its testing is critical in treatment decisions...
- US-guided core needle biopsy of axillary lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer: why and how to do itHiroyuki Abe
Section of Breast Imaging, Department of Radiology, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC 2026, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Radiographics 27:S91-9. 2007..Although not widely performed for axillary lymph node staging, ultrasonography (US)-guided core needle biopsy is a well-established procedure for the breast and other organs, with a higher success rate in terms of tissue ..
- Office-based core needle biopsy of bone and soft tissue malignancies: an accurate alternative to open biopsy with infrequent complicationsSheila C Adams
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami Hospital, 1400 NW 12th Avenue, Room 4036, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:2774-80. 2010..As an alternative to open biopsy, percutaneous core needle biopsy techniques have been developed...
- The diagnostic value of endobronchial ultrasound-guided needle biopsy in lung cancer and mediastinal adenopathyWei Sun
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 38:337-42. 2010..This technique enables us to obtain tissue samples for quick diagnoses beyond central airway with minimal complications...
- Comparison of percentage of total prostate needle biopsy tissue with cancer to percentage of cores with cancer for predicting PSA recurrence after radical prostatectomy: results from the SEARCH databaseStephen J Freedland
Department of Urology, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine, 90095 1738, USA
Urology 61:742-7. 2003Tumor volume in the prostate needle biopsy is an important prognosticator for patients with prostate cancer. However, the best method to measure tumor volume in the prostate needle biopsy is unknown...
- Variability in hepatic iron concentration in percutaneous needle biopsy specimens from patients with transfusional hemosiderosisEllen Butensky
Department of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 123:146-52. 2005..0%. We found high agreement in LICs between liver biopsy specimens processed by the paraffin-embedding technique but overestimation of LICs in comparison with desiccated fresh tissue samples...
- Protocol core needle biopsy and histologic Chronic Allograft Damage Index (CADI) as surrogate end point for long-term graft survival in multicenter studiesSerdar Yilmaz
Data Analysis Center, Division of Transplantation, Department of Surgery, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:773-9. 2003..This observation makes it possible to use CADI as a surrogate end point in prevention trials and to identify the patients at risk for intervention trials...
- Identification of candidate prostate cancer biomarkers in prostate needle biopsy specimens using proteomic analysisJian feng Lin
Key Laboratory of Ministry of Education for Cell Biology and Tumor Cell Engineering, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University, Xiamen 361005, China
Int J Cancer 121:2596-605. 2007..cancer (PCa) detection, the definitive diagnosis of PCa is based on the information contained in prostate needle biopsy (PNBX) specimens...
- Fibroepithelial lesions with cellular stroma on breast core needle biopsy: are there predictors of outcome on surgical excision?Timothy W Jacobs
Department of Pathology, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 124:342-54. 2005Fibroepithelial lesions with cellular stroma (FELCS) in breast core needle biopsy (CNB) specimens may result in either fibroadenoma or phyllodes tumor at excision...
- The diagnosis of GI stromal tumors with EUS-guided fine needle aspiration with immunohistochemical analysisNobuhiro Ando
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 55:37-43. 2002..EUS-guided fine needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) is useful for diagnosis of GISTs. The aim of this study was to evaluate the phenotyping of GISTs and diagnosis of malignant GISTs by using EUS-FNA with immunohistochemical analysis...
- Prostate cancers diagnosed at repeat biopsy are smaller and less likely to be high gradeNelly Tan
Glickman Urologic and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Urol 180:1325-9; discussion 1329. 2008..We investigated whether prostate cancer diagnosed on initial prostate biopsy had worse pathological outcomes compared to that diagnosed on repeat prostate biopsy...
- Predicting cancer following a diagnosis of high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia on needle biopsy: data on men with more than one follow-up biopsyJ D Kronz
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1079-85. 2001..Although clinical findings at the time of diagnosis of high-grade PIN are not useful to predict who might have cancer, histologic findings may help identify who needs additional biopsies...
- The relationship of prostate gland volume to extended needle biopsy on prostate cancer detectionJean O Ung
Department of Urologic Surgery and Biometrics Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Urol 169:130-5. 2003We investigated the relationship between prostate volume and cancer detection by needle biopsy, and determined the effect of an increased number of cores on the sampling error of needle biopsy on large prostate glands.
- Analysis of ret/PTC gene rearrangements refines the fine needle aspiration diagnosis of thyroid cancerC C Cheung
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Freeman Center for Endocrine Oncology, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2M9
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2187-90. 2001..The results indicate that RT-PCR for ret/PTC is a specific marker that can be applied to fine needle aspiration biopsies and improves the diagnosis of malignancy when used as an adjunct to traditional cytology...
- Infectious complications from full extension endobronchial ultrasound transbronchial needle aspirationA R Haas
Interventional Pulmonary Program, Division of Pulmonary Medicine and Critical Care, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Eur Respir J 33:935-8. 2009....
- Transthoracic needle biopsy: factors effecting risk of pneumothoraxUgur Topal
Department of Radiology, Uludag University Medical School, Gorukle Campus, 16059 Bursa, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 48:263-7. 2003..to evaluate the factors that could effect the risk of pneumothorax in patients undergoing transthoracic biopsy...
- [Fatal septic shock caused by transrectal needle biopsy of the prostate; a case report]Taro Hasegawa
Department of Urology, Jikei University, School of Medicine
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 76:893-7. 2002..The prostate had numerous microabscesses. Currently, transrectal prostate biopsy is considered a generally reliable procedure to detect adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Our case seems to the sixth case report of fatal complications...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration findings of gastrointestinal leiomyomas and gastrointestinal stromal tumorsEdward B Stelow
Dept of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, Mail Code 815, 701 Park Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 119:703-8. 2003....
- Ductal lavage for detection of cellular atypia in women at high risk for breast cancerW C Dooley
Institute for Breast Health, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, 73104, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:1624-32. 2001..In this study, ductal lavage, a new procedure for collecting ductal cells with a microcatheter, was compared with nipple aspiration with regard to safety, tolerability, and the ability to detect abnormal breast epithelial cells...
- Prostate needle biopsies containing prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia or atypical foci suspicious for carcinoma: implications for patient careJonathan I Epstein
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, The James Brady Urological Institute, The Johns Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Urol 175:820-34. 2006..We identified information critical for patient treatment on prostate needle biopsies diagnosed with prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia or atypical foci suspicious for carcinoma...
- Prediction of extraprostatic extension in the neurovascular bundle based on prostate needle biopsy pathology, serum prostate specific antigen and digital rectal examinationToyonori Tsuzuki
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Urol 173:450-3. 2005..We investigated whether clinical information and prostate biopsy data could predict EPE of clinical localized prostate cancer...
- Decreased number of mast cells infiltrating into needle biopsy specimens leads to a better prognosis of prostate cancerN Nonomura
Department of Urology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Br J Cancer 97:952-6. 2007..Mast cell infiltration was evaluated in 104 patients (age range, 45-88 years; median, 72 years), who underwent needle biopsy of the prostate and were confirmed to have PCa...
- A contemporary study correlating prostate needle biopsy and radical prostatectomy Gleason scoreSamson W Fine
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Urol 179:1335-8; discussion 1338-9. 2008We determined whether contemporary practice patterns of Gleason grading for prostate needle biopsy and radical prostatectomy have evolved.
- The incidence and the risk of pneumothorax and chest tube placement after percutaneous CT-guided lung biopsy: the angle of the needle trajectory is a novel predictorHisashi Saji
Department of Surgery, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Chest 121:1521-6. 2002..The aims of this study were to estimate the risk of pneumothorax in patients undergoing CT-guided lung biopsy, and to determine which factors affect its occurrence...
- Fine-needle percutaneous biopsy of renal masses with helical CT guidanceE Lechevallier
Departments of Urology, Hopital Salvator, 249 Blvd Ste Marguerite, 13274 Marseille, France
Radiology 216:506-10. 2000..To evaluate the feasibility, accuracy, and clinical role of fine-needle percutaneous biopsy of renal masses, with helical computed tomographic (CT) guidance...
- Ductal carcinoma in situ diagnosed with stereotactic core needle biopsy: can invasion be predicted?C H Lee
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar St, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Radiology 217:466-70. 2000..whether mammographic or histologic features can be used to predict which cases diagnosed as ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) without invasion by means of stereotactic core needle biopsy (SCNB) will have invasive disease at surgery.
- Diagnosis of "follicular neoplasm": a gray zone in thyroid fine-needle aspiration cytologyZubair W Baloch
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 26:41-4. 2002..However, clinical features, including gender, nodule size, and age, can be a part of the decision analysis in selecting patients for surgery...
- Evaluation of liver fibrosis: a concise reviewNezam H Afdhal
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02125, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1160-74. 2004..The limitations of utilization of these markers for both cross-sectional diagnosis of fibrosis and monitoring disease progression or regression are discussed...
- Acute bacterial prostatitis after transrectal prostate needle biopsy: clinical analysisKazuyoshi Shigehara
Department of Urology, Ishikawa Prefectural Central Hospital, 2 1 Kuratsukihigashi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
J Infect Chemother 14:40-3. 2008..Treatment with cephalosporin or carbapenem is recommended for patients with acute prostatitis after prostate biopsy...
- Liposarcoma subtypes: identification with computed tomography and ultrasound-guided percutaneous needle biopsyPaul Nikolaidis
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Eur Radiol 15:383-9. 2005The purpose of the study was to evaluate the feasibility of image-guided percutaneous needle biopsy to enable specific subtype classification of liposarcoma in patients with previously diagnosed disease and compare the yield of fine and ..
- The diagnostic value of needle biopsy for musculoskeletal lesionsKi Sun Sung
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Irwon Dong 50, Gangnam Gu, Seoul, 135 710, Korea
Int Orthop 33:1701-6. 2009The purpose of this study was to assess the diagnostic value of imaging-guided core needle biopsy for the diagnosis of musculoskeletal lesions...
- Risk factors associated with transrectal ultrasound guided prostate needle biopsy in patients with prostate cancerSheng Hui Lee
Division of Geriatric Urology, Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Taipei, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Gueishan Township, Taoyuan County 333, Taiwan R O C
Chang Gung Med J 32:623-7. 2009Transrectal ultrasound (TRUS) guided prostate needle biopsy is a commonly used diagnostic procedure...
- Exercise and prostate cancer risk in a cohort of veterans undergoing prostate needle biopsyJodi A Antonelli
Duke Prostate Center, Division of Urologic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Urol 182:2226-31. 2009..We further characterized this relationship by examining exercise and cancer risk among men undergoing prostate needle biopsy.
- CT-guided percutaneous core needle biopsy in deep seated musculoskeletal lesions: a prospective study of 128 casesA Puri
Orthopaedic Oncology Service, Tata Memorial Hospital, E Borges Marg, Parel, Mumbai, India
Skeletal Radiol 35:138-43. 2006..A prospective study of CT-guided core needle biopsies for deep-seated musculoskeletal lesions was conducted at a referral cancer institute over a 4-year period with the aim of assessing the safety and efficacy of the procedure...
- Percutaneous needle biopsy for indeterminate renal masses: a national survey of UK consultant urologistsAzhar A Khan
Bristol Urological Institute, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, UK
BMC Urol 7:10. 2007The use of percutaneous needle biopsy in the evaluation of indeterminate renal masses is controversial and its role in management remains largely unclear. We set to establish current practice on this issue in UK urology departments.
- Safety and detailed patterns of morbidity of transrectal ultrasound guided needle biopsy of prostate in a urologist-led unitGeorge Lee
Department of Urology, Wexham Park Hospital, 8 Marloes Road, W8 5LJ, Slough, Berks, UK
Int Urol Nephrol 38:281-5. 2006..evaluate the safety, morbidity and characteristics of complications for transrectal ultrasound guided needle biopsy of prostate carried out solely by urologists in a single unit...
- Percutaneous needle biopsy for breast diagnosis: how do surgeons decide?Claire M B Holloway
Department of Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and the University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Ann Surg Oncol 16:1629-36. 2009Despite the advent of guidelines recommending core needle biopsy (CNB) for diagnosis of breast abnormalities, it is underused in some jurisdictions...
- Transjugular liver biopsy--indications, adequacy, quality of specimens, and complications--a systematic reviewGeorge Kalambokis
The Sheila Sherlock Hepatobiliary Pancreatic and Liver Transplantation Unit, Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street, Hampstead, London NW3 2QG, UK
J Hepatol 47:284-94. 2007..In adults, mortality was 0.09% (haemorrhage 0.06%; ventricular arrhythmia 0.03%). TJLB is safe, providing specimens qualitatively comparable to PLB, and may improve further using > or = 18-G Tru-Cut needle and >3 passes...
- Ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy of breast masses: How many cores are necessary to diagnose cancer?Clécio Ênio Murta de Lucena
Santa Casa de Belo Horizonte, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Avenida Bernardo Monteiro, no 1470, apto 1202, Bairro Funcionários, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
J Clin Ultrasound 35:363-6. 2007To investigate the number of cores required to diagnose breast cancer using ultrasound (US)-guided core needle biopsy.
- Transient elastography is unreliable for detection of cirrhosis in patients with acute liver damageAbdurrahman Sagir
Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Infektiologie, Universitätsklinik Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Hepatology 47:592-5. 2008..5 kPa. Six patients with initially high liver stiffness were followed up to abatement of the acute hepatitic phase; in all of them, liver stiffness values decreased to values below the cutoff value for liver cirrhosis...
- Unsuccessful preoperative biopsies, fine needle aspiration cytology or core needle biopsy, lead to increased costs in the diagnostic workup in breast cancerKatja Hukkinen
Department of Radiology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Acta Oncol 47:1037-45. 2008..Our aim was to compare feasibility of fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) and core needle biopsy (CNB) in diagnosis of breast lesions...
- Prostate cancer detection rate in patients with repeated extended 21-sample needle biopsyJean Louis Campos-Fernandes
Department of Urology, CHU Mondor, Creteil, France
Eur Urol 55:600-6. 2009Prevalence of prostate cancer (PCa) after a negative first extended prostate needle biopsy protocol is unknown.
- Freehand iMRI-guided large-gauge core needle biopsy: a new minimally invasive technique for diagnosis of enhancing breast lesionsB L Daniel
Department of Radiology, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 13:896-902. 2001..In this study, a freehand method was developed for large-gauge core needle biopsy (LCNB) guided by intraprocedural MRI (iMRI)...
- Ultrasound-guided fine needle biopsy of the spleen: high clinical efficacy and low risk in a multicenter Italian studyG Civardi
Divisione di Medicina Interna Ematologia, Ospedale Civile, Piacenza, Italy
Am J Hematol 67:93-9. 2001The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical efficacy and safety of the ultrasound-guided fine needle biopsy (UG-FNB) of the spleen in a large population of patients...
- Ultrasound-guided core-needle biopsy: is it effective in the diagnosis of suspected lymphomas presenting in the head and neck?Antonino Carbone
J Surg Oncol 98:4-5. 2008
- Usefulness of cutting needle biopsy in recurrent and advanced staged head and neck malignancies in a palliative settingG J Ridder
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University Medical School Freiburg, Killianstrasse 5, 79106, Freiburg, Germany
Support Care Cancer 15:1301-7. 2007..The purpose of this article is to focus on the clinical usefulness of cutting needle biopsies in the head and neck as a minimal invasive procedure to establish a tissue diagnosis in a palliative setting...
- Ultrasound-guided core-needle biopsy in the diagnosis of head and neck masses: indications, technique, and resultsJens Pfeiffer
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Freiburg Medical School, Freiburg, Germany
Head Neck 29:1033-40. 2007..Unclear cervicofacial masses are common presentations that often require tissue sampling to guide therapy. While open biopsy is invasive, fine-needle aspiration cytology includes a high rate of nondiagnostic samples...
- Chronic inflammation is negatively associated with prostate cancer and high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia on needle biopsyP I Karakiewicz
Department of Urology, Cancer Prognostics and Health Outcomes Unit, University of Montreal, 1058 rue St Denis, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Clin Pract 61:425-30. 2007..and prostate cancer (PCa), as well as high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN), in prostatic needle biopsy specimens...
- Core needle biopsy as a diagnostic tool to differentiate phyllodes tumor from fibroadenomaIan K Komenaka
Comprehensive Breast Center, Columbia University, and Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Arch Surg 138:987-90. 2003Core needle biopsy is a useful diagnostic tool in differentiating phyllodes tumor from fibroadenoma.
- Fluorescence spectroscopy: an adjunct diagnostic tool to image-guided core needle biopsy of the breastChangfang Zhu
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:2518-28. 2009..This study demonstrates the feasibility of performing fluorescence spectroscopy during clinical core needle breast biopsy, and the potential of this technique for identifying breast malignancy in vivo...
- Preoperative histologic assessment of head and neck lesions using cutting needle biopsyYoshihiro Yamashita
Kyushu Dental College, Kitakyushu, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 93:528-33. 2002This study assessed the clinical utility of cutting needle biopsy in which a newly developed Monopty biopsy instrument (MBI) (Monopty, Bard Urologic Division; Covington, Ga) was used in the preoperative assessment of head and neck lesions.
- Risk of prostate cancer after detection of isolated high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN) on extended core needle biopsy: a UK hospital experienceParas B Singh
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Preston, UK
BMC Urol 9:3. 2009..Our aim was to assess the occurrence of HGPIN in a regional UK population and to determine whether in a retrievable cohort of such patients that had repeat extended core biopsies, there was an elevated risk of CaP...
- Axillary staging by percutaneous biopsy: sensitivity of fine-needle aspiration versus core needle biopsyRoshni Rao
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 16:1170-5. 2009We sought to determine whether percutaneous core needle biopsy (CNB) of suspicious axillary lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer offers improved diagnostic accuracy compared with fine-needle aspiration (FNA).
- Solitary fibrous tumour of the prostate identified on needle biopsyAndrea B Galosi
Urology Institute, Polytechnic University of the Marche Region, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria, Ancona, Italy
Eur Urol 56:564-7. 2009..and radical prostatectomy features of a case of solitary fibrous tumour (SFT) of the prostate identified on needle biopsy are presented. The main differential diagnoses are discussed...
- Percutaneous imaging-guided solid organ core needle biopsy: coaxial versus noncoaxial methodMalcolm K Hatfield
Milwaukee Radiologists, Ltd, affiliated with Aurora St Luke s Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:413-7. 2008..We also compared bleeding complication rates with and without absorbable gelatin sponge occlusion of the biopsy track...
- The presence of micropapillary features and retraction artifact in core needle biopsy material predicts lymph node metastasis in breast carcinomaGeza Acs
Anatomic Pathology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:202-10. 2009..We examined whether the presence and extent of micropapillary features and retraction artifact in core needle biopsy of breast cancers can predict nodal metastasis in a prospective series of 47 IMPC and 424 IDC...
- The role of core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of suspected soft tissue tumoursD C Strauss
Sarcoma Unit, Department of Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Fulham Road, London, UK
J Surg Oncol 102:523-9. 2010..The objective of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of core needle biopsy (CNB) in patients referred with the suspicion of a soft tissue sarcoma.
- Systemic air embolism after percutaneous transthorasic needle biopsy of the lungMahyar Ghafoori
Department of Radiology, Hazrat Rasoul Akram University Hospital, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Emerg Radiol 15:353-6. 2008..This extremely rare complication is an inevitable event and may happen in spite of appropriate experience and meticulous care...
- Finding a balanced strategy in prostate cancer diagnosis for case detection by prostate needle biopsy at first presentation: "all for more cores and more cores for all" or individualised sampling regimens? Which way forward?Anup Patel
Eur Urol 52:313-5. 2007
- Does disposable needle guide minimize infectious complications after transrectal prostate needle biopsy?Altug Tuncel
Ministry of Health, Ankara Numune Research and Training Hospital, Third Department of Urology, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 71:1024-7; discussion 1027-8. 2008..To investigate the effectiveness of disposable transrectal ultrasound needle guide in the prevention of possible infectious complications after transrectal prostate biopsy...
- Diagnostic utility of a p63/alpha-methyl coenzyme A racemase (p504s) cocktail in ambiguous lesions of the prostate upon needle biopsyVincent Molinie
Department of Pathology, Hopital Saint Joseph, Paris, France
BJU Int 97:1109-15. 2006To investigate the potential utility of a new combined immunostaining technique for diagnosing prostate cancer from histological analysis of needle biopsy specimens.
- Risk factors for invasive breast cancer when core needle biopsy shows ductal carcinoma in situEmil D Kurniawan
Department of Surgery, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Arch Surg 145:1098-104. 2010A core needle biopsy (CNB) diagnosis of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) may be associated with a final diagnosis of invasive cancer...
- Diagnostic impact of core-needle biopsy on fine-needle aspiration of non-Hodgkin lymphomaJerald Z Gong
Department of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 31:23-30. 2004..All the cases had cytology and core-needle biopsy and 53 cases had concurrent flow cytometric analysis...
- High-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia on needle biopsy: risk of cancer on repeat biopsy related to number of involved cores and morphologic patternTarek Bishara
Pee Dee Pathology Associates, Florence, SC, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:629-33. 2004The importance of isolated high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN) on needle biopsy is its association with synchronous invasive carcinoma. The relevance of this relationship has been called into question in recent years...
- Personalized Clinical Diagnostics and Beyond: Integrated Ring Resonator ArraysRyan Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2009..This technology promises to broadly impact the landscape of the biomedical sciences, both meeting the clinical diagnostic challenges of today and pioneering the paradigm-shifting discoveries of tomorrow. ..
- Robot-Assisted MRI-Guided Prostate BiopsyDan Stoianovici; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Needle biopsy is a regularly performed procedure that is required for diagnosing prostate cancer (PC). An estimated 1...
- A Molecular targeting agent for systemic radiotherapy of metastatic Prostate CancKevin P Maresca; Fiscal Year: 2010..current screening method of PSA levels in the blood is valuable for early detection, the confirmation by fine needle biopsy does not give a representative evaluation of the entire prostate or determine lymph node involvement...
- Development of high-throughput, commercially viable, Cell-CT instrument with initThomas Neumann; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., blood, sputum, cervical scrape, breast aspirate, urine, colon brushing, fine needle biopsy). Similar to flow cytometry, cells are injected into a capillary tube...
- Zinc-Based Early Detection of Prostate CancerChristopher J Frederickson; Fiscal Year: 2010..for prostatectomy (ii) men scheduled for cysto-prostatectomy (iii) men scheduled for saturation (64 core) needle biopsy and (iv) men scheduled for conventional biopsy...
- Metabolomic Markers for Early Detection of Prostate CancerArun Sreekumar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Importantly, PSA has very low specificity for the cancer and hence needle biopsy is routinely implemented for unequivocal detection of the disease...
- Leucine Type Amino Acid Transport In GliomasMARK MYRON GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..respectively in low and high grade gliomas during the course of the patient's treatment: a) After tumor needle biopsy;b) After the initial cycle of radiation therapy;c) When MR imaging indicates tumor progression;2) Perform anti-..
- Vitamin D3 Supplementation for Low-Risk Prostate Cancer: A Randomized TrialSebastiano Gattoni-Celli; Fiscal Year: 2013..pathology status will be measured by the change in Gleason score and the number of positive cores in prostate needle biopsy specimens between baseline and the end of the study...
- Exercise adaptations in mitochondrial myopathy: therapeutic implicationsRonald G Haller; Fiscal Year: 2012..Research Design: Patients will undergo physiological exercise testing, cardiac evaluation and muscle needle biopsy and then be randomized to regular exercise training or no training for 6 months with retesting at the end of ..
- Multi-lumen steerable needles for transoral access to lung nodulesRon Alterovitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..the parenchyma can be avoided by image-guided steering) and pneumothorax (since, in contrast to transthoracic needle biopsy, our device never punctures the pleura around the lung)...
- Histopathologic and Immunohistochemical Features of Tissue Adherent to the ElectrCONSTANTINOS THASOS SOFOCLEOUS; Fiscal Year: 2011..positive tumor cells) identified in tissue from the ablated tumor (adherent to the electrode and obtained with needle biopsy) is an independent predictor of LTP and treatment failure after RFA of CRHM. 2...
- Ultrafast Tomosynthesis for Transbronchial Biopsy GuidanceRebecca Fahrig; Fiscal Year: 2011..Transbronchial needle biopsy (TBNbx) is preferred over other options because it is minimally invasive, and it has been shown to be more ..
- Surrogate and Sentinal Technologies to Monitor Stability of Cancer PhosphoproteinLance Liotta; Fiscal Year: 2009..measure at least 100 known phosphoprotein endpoints with high precision and sensitivity in a human core needle biopsy or fine needle aspirate...
- Integrating Machine Learning and Physician Expertise for Breast Cancer DiagnosisElizabeth S Burnside; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our clinical application is as compelling as our algorithmic work. Image-guided core needle biopsy of the breast is a common procedure that is imperfect, has high-stakes, and is particularly amenable to ..
- Micro-Spectroscopy for Cytological Screening, and Staging of DiseaseMax Diem; Fiscal Year: 2010..is used to detect changes in the morphology of cells obtained from body fluids, or by exfoliation or thin needle biopsy, while in classical pathology stained tissue sections are examined visually...
- Axial Shear Strain Elastography In Benign and Malignant Breast DiseaseJonathan Ophir; Fiscal Year: 2012..Ultrasound guided core needle biopsy or surgical excision will serve as the pathological benchmark...
- Identification of a sensitive and specific panel of DNA methylated markers to impGANGNING NONE LIANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..histological changes and can be detected in small amounts of tissue, measurement of DNA methylation markers in needle biopsy material would be able to identify malignant SRMs...
- Microfluidic Devices for Molecular Characterization of Cancer Cells at the SingleJohn Zhong; Fiscal Year: 2010..cells;5) malignant cells captured by laser capture microdissection (LCM);and 6) suspicious malignant cells in needle biopsy. Isolation methods have been developed to capture rare cancer cells from blood and other tissues for cancer ..
- Molecuar Sub-typing of Prostate Cancer Based on Recurrent Gene FusionsArul M Chinnaiyan; Fiscal Year: 2013..molecular sub-types of prostate cancer with clinical outcome and/or aggressiveness of disease using prostate needle biopsy samples...
- Raman spectroscopy probes for assisting stereotactic breast biopsy needle placemeStephen Fulghum; Fiscal Year: 2009Stereotactic, large-core, needle biopsy using a prone biopsy table and guided by imaging, is now accepted as an alternative to open surgical biopsy for non-palpable breast lesions discovered by mammography...
- Pyrophosphorolysis-activatable helicase dependent amplification assay for lung caBERTRAND LEMIEUX; Fiscal Year: 2007..are often difficult (due to thoracic location of tumor which increases the chance of lung collapse with a needle biopsy), the development of a non-invasive method to assay for the emergence of resistance would be a significant ..
- CT fluoroscopy guided robotically assisted lung biopsyKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..an existing robotic system to assist the physician in accurate computed tomography (CT) fluoroscopy-guided needle biopsy of lung nodules...
- CT fluoroscopy guided robotically assisted lung biopsyKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2003..an existing robotic system to assist the physician in accurate computed tomography (CT) fluoroscopy-guided needle biopsy of lung nodules...
- Synergistic CT-Bronchoscopy for Lung-Cancer AssessmentWilliam Higgins; Fiscal Year: 2007..Transcutaneous needle biopsy also has low yield for small nodules and has other potential complications...
- A Low-Cost, Portable Guidance System for Needle BiopsyPHILIPP STOLKA; Fiscal Year: 2013..The first aim will develop and evaluate an easy-to-use guidance system for targeted needle biopsy by focusing on the development of the guidance platform itself, including device construction, internal ..
- Race, Lipoprotein Lipase and Obesity after MenopauseAndrew Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..in AA compared to CAU postmenopausal women using tissue obtained during elective abdominal surgery and by needle biopsy, and 2) WL, by reducing SM (vastus lateralis - and SAT-LPL activity, is associated with a decrease in SM and ..
- Biodegradable Sealant for Biopsy Tracts in Soft TissuesLUCJAN HRONOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2003Percutaneous fine needle biopsy is a common method of determining if a lung nodule is benign or malignant...
- BIOARTIFICIAL MUSCLES FOR GENE THERAPYHerman Vandenburgh; Fiscal Year: 2002..Muscle stem cells (myoblasts) can be isolated by simple needle biopsy and genetically modified to express foreign proteins...
- Targeted prostate biopsy using mathematical optimizationChristos Davatzikos; Fiscal Year: 2007..Therefore, needle biopsy of the prostate has been widely used as a gold standard for the diagnosis and staging of prostate cancer, when ..
- Sealing Liver Biopsy Tracts with HydrogelsLUCJAN HRONOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2006..The most common type of liver biopsy is a percutaneous (through the skin) needle biopsy. Ultrasonography or Computed Tomography (CT) scans may be used to aid in the procedure to identify lesions in ..
- Thin Film Magnetic Sensors for Ultrathin Bronchoscope NavigationERIK LANGE; Fiscal Year: 2006..fail and must be repeated or replaced with more invasive approaches such as fluoroscopic guided percutaneous needle biopsy or surgical biopsy...
- INFLUENCE OF ACUTE ILLNESS AND INJURY ON ENERGY EXCHANGEJohn Kinney; Fiscal Year: 1980..Current studies are seeking the mechanism for this difference. The percutaneous needle biopsy of thigh muscle in acutely injured patients reveals prompt elevations of certain free amino acids yet a 50% ..
- Biomarker Models of Prostate Cancer Outcome After RadiotherapyAlan Pollack; Fiscal Year: 2010..Based on our prior experience, typical prostate needle biopsy specimens in patients with high-risk prostate cancer allow for about 7 markers to be quantified per case...
- MRI Method for In Vivo Iron QuantificationJens Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2007..As validation, the MRI predictions will be correlated to results of needle biopsy of the liver, the current clinical gold standard...
- CCD X-RAY FLUOROSCOPY USING BINARY OPTICAL TECHNIQUEHong Liu; Fiscal Year: 2000..We will conduct contrast-detail analysis, needle biopsy, and observer studies, comparing the proposed system to image intensifier fluoroscopic systems and ..
- OCT Image-guided Biopsy NeedleXingde Li; Fiscal Year: 2006..The imaging needle is not intended to replace the conventional needle biopsy and histology, but rather to optimize tissue sampling by directing the biopsy to areas of highest yield...
- CHARACTERIZATION OF HUMAN LIVER CYTOCHROMES P450Judy Raucy; Fiscal Year: 1992..Using needle biopsy samples from individuals exposed to various quantities of ethanol for different lengths of time and subjecting ..
- PATHWAYS OF SKELETAL MUSCLE GLUCOSE METABOLISM IN MANLawrence Mandarino; Fiscal Year: 1991..Muscle samples will be obtained by needle biopsy to assess insulin activation of pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) and glycogen synthase (GS), which catalyze key ..
- BIOMORPHOMETRY OF HUMAN PROSTATIC CANCERPRIYA WERAHERA; Fiscal Year: 2005..The first Aim is directed at the development of advanced strategies for prostate needle biopsy. Studies on modification of existing biopsy techniques based on the presence of an elevated PSA, abnormal DRE, ..
- Ethanol effects on liver in self-administering primatesCarol Cunningham; Fiscal Year: 2004..Urinary concentrations of isoprostanes will be measured to screen for ethanol-related oxidative stress. Liver needle biopsy samples, taken every 3 months, will be examined by light and electron microscopy for indices of liver damage, ..
- Combined Ultrasound and Electrical Impedance TomographyJONATHAN NEWELL; Fiscal Year: 2006..cysts and solid lesions, to identify palpable abnormalities, and to guide interventional procedures such as needle biopsy. Weaknesses of ultrasound include lack of adequate spatial resolution and its inability to image well in dense ..
- SUBSPECKLE VISIBILITY SMALL HYPOECHOGENIC BREAST TUMORSBERNARD STEINBERG; Fiscal Year: 1999..Current clinical practice (particularly needle biopsy) would be largely sufficient if the first two problems were solved...
- Smart Optical Probe for Guidance of Fine Needle BiopsyNicusor Iftimia; Fiscal Year: 2006..It is evident that earlier diagnosis results in an improved outcome and reduced mortality from disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LX MULTI-NUCLEAR SPECTROSCOPY PACKAGERussell Richardson; Fiscal Year: 2000..Its non-invasive nature raises it above the traditional needle biopsy technique to repeatedly assess metabolic conditions within skeletal muscle in both healthy and diseased states...
- Effects of Lycopene on High-Risk Prostatic TissuePeter Gann; Fiscal Year: 2005..effects, after 6 months, of lycopene supplements (30 mg/day) on molecular and cell morphology markers in core needle biopsy samples from men with documented HGPIN...
- Difuse Optical Spectroscopy Breast Needle BiopsyNIMMI RAMANUJAM; Fiscal Year: 2004Percutaneous, image-guided core needle biopsy is being increasingly used to diagnose breast cancer...
- Protein NanoArray for Cytokine Profiling in Mouse ModelsEric Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..We predict that our system will provide robust protein profiling data from mouse tail-bleeds, needle biopsy aspirates, and finger pricks of human blood samples...
- Optical Coherence Tomography Image-Guided Surgical Resection of Solid TumorsStephen Boppart; Fiscal Year: 2009..surgical interventions of mammary tumors in an open surgical field and with an integrated tissue-sampling OCT needle biopsy probe...
- UVEAL MELANOMA CELL BIOLOGYDEVRON CHAR; Fiscal Year: 1992..We will determine if DNA content abnormalities, especially on fine needle biopsy, can be used to increase prognostic accuracy...
- COMPARATIVE STUDIES OF INTRACELLULAR GLUCOSE METABOLISMRobert Henry; Fiscal Year: 1992..are occurring in the primary peripheral target organ, samples or quadriceps femoris muscle will be obtained by needle biopsy during these studies for determination of glycolytic pathway metabolites and the rate limiting enzyme for ..
- Diagnosis of Breast Cancer with Optical SpectroscopyNIMMI RAMANUJAM; Fiscal Year: 2007Percutaneous, image-guided core needle biopsy is being increasingly used to diagnose breast lesions...
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF EXPERIMENTAL AND HUMAN TUMORSRakesh Jain; Fiscal Year: 1999..interstitial pressure is an important prognostic factor for tumor treatment and for tumor localization during needle biopsy will be tested in human tumors, both in situ and grown as xenografts...
- MAGNETIC RESONANCE STUDIES OF BONE MARROW HEMATOPOIESISDouglas Ballon; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposed assay will be designed to complement information obtained from the needle biopsy by providing a measure of the spatial extent of disease, particularly at sites inaccessible to the needle ..
- MAGNETIC RESONANCE STUDIES OF BONE MARROW HEMATOPOIESISDouglas Ballon; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed assay will be designed to complement information obtained from the needle biopsy by providing a measure of the spatial extent of disease, particularly at sites inaccessible to the needle ..
- Engineering Myoblasts for TransplantationEDWARD KISLAUSKIS; Fiscal Year: 2004..are a resident population of muscle stem cells that can be harvested from virtually any patient with a simple needle biopsy. These cells can be expanded in vitro and then reintroduced in vivo to either repair tissues such as damaged ..
- Integrated Microchips for Informative Diagnosis of Cancer-immune InteractionsRong Fan; Fiscal Year: 2009..a large protein biomarker panel from tissue sample sizes varying from a finger prick of blood or a skinny needle biopsy, to a single cell...
- EFFECTS OF DIABETIC CONTROL ON RENAL DISEASEJose Barbosa; Fiscal Year: 1990..Volunteers undergo a needle biopsy of the graft at transplant time, and randomized to stringent or standard glucose control, monitored ..
- DIGITAL MAMMOGRAPHY FOR STEREOTACTIC NEEDLE PLACEMENTMILTON STOLLER; Fiscal Year: 1991The proposed plan is for the development of a needle biopsy and needle localization device that can be used with existing mammographic equipment...
- AQUA: A New Quantitative in situ Proteomic AssayDavid Rimm; Fiscal Year: 2004..be breast cancer since there are already 3 biospecific therapies and more are in the pipeline and since core needle biopsy is the most common current method for assessment of breast masses...
- Confocal DNA Cytometry Prostate Cancer- Age & EthnicityWilliam Grizzle; Fiscal Year: 2003..In all age groups, predicting the biological aggressiveness and stage of tumors, based on needle biopsy findings and/or on the results of radical specimens, is critical for clinical decision making...
- PHASE I STUDY OF COMBINED VIRAL & SUICIDE GENE THERAPIESSVEND FREYTAG; Fiscal Year: 2000..and by assessing the presence of tumor by digital rectal exam (DRE), transrectal ultrasound (TRUS), and needle biopsy of the prostate. This research may lead to a safe and effective therapy for men with localized prostate cancer...
- Randomized Trial of EUS Neurolysis in Pancreas CancerMichael Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary outcome will be a reduction in pain at 1 month. Secondary outcomes will include the durability of pain control, quality of life, narcotic use and narcotic side effects. [unreadable] [unreadable]..