Genomes and Genes
Summary: Removal and examination of tissue obtained through a transdermal needle inserted into the specific region, organ, or tissue being analyzed.
Publications294 found, 100 shown here
- Sampling error and intraobserver variation in liver biopsy in patients with chronic HCV infectionArie Regev
Division of Hepatology, Center for Liver Diseases, University of Miami School of Medicine, Florida 33136, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2614-8. 2002....
- Role of ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of indeterminate and suspicious axillary lymph nodes in the initial staging of breast carcinomaSavitri Krishnamurthy
Department of Pathology, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 95:982-8. 2002..This study was undertaken to determine the diagnostic accuracy of US-guided FNA of indeterminate/suspicious/metastatic-appearing axillary lymph nodes during the initial staging of breast carcinoma...
- The percutaneous needle biopsy is safe and recommended in the diagnosis of musculoskeletal massesJ A Welker
Washington Cancer Institute, Washington, District of Columbia 20010, USA
Cancer 89:2677-86. 2000The purpose of this study was to analyze the role of percutaneous core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of musculoskeletal sarcomas.
- Four cases of a cerebral air embolism complicating a percutaneous transthoracic needle biopsySoo Jung Um
Department of Internal Medicine, Dong A University College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
Korean J Radiol 10:81-4. 2009A percutaneous transthoracic needle biopsy is a common procedure in the practice of pulmonology. An air embolism is a rare but potentially fatal complication of a percutaneous transthoracic needle biopsy...
- Impact of liver biopsy size on histological evaluation of chronic viral hepatitis: the smaller the sample, the milder the diseaseGuido Colloredo
Liver Unit, Seriate Hospital, Bergamo, Italy
J Hepatol 39:239-44. 2003..In chronic viral hepatitis, liver biopsy is performed for assessing disease activity and fibrosis. In this study, we evaluated the impact of the size of liver biopsy on the grading and staging...
- Personalized prediction of tumor response and cancer progression on prostate needle biopsyMichael J Donovan
Aureon Laboratories, Inc, New York, New York 10701, USA
J Urol 182:125-32. 2009..We developed a patient specific, biology driven tool to predict outcome at diagnosis. We also investigated whether biopsy androgen receptor levels predict a durable response to therapy after secondary treatment...
- A single injection of lidocaine as local anesthesia for ultrasound guided needle biopsy of the prostateGianluigi Taverna
Department of Urology, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Rozzano Milan, Italy
J Urol 167:222-3. 2002..We evaluated the effectiveness of a single injection of lidocaine on patient tolerance of multiple needle biopsies of the prostate...
- Utilization rates, complications and costs of percutaneous liver biopsy: a population-based study including 4275 biopsiesRobert P Myers
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Liver Unit, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Liver Int 28:705-12. 2008..Because biopsy practices may be changing, we studied patterns of use in a large Canadian Health Region. We aimed to describe trends in biopsy utilization and the incidence and costs of complications from a population-based perspective...
- Prospective evaluation of prostate cancer detected on biopsies 1, 2, 3 and 4: when should we stop?B Djavan
Department of Urology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
J Urol 166:1679-83. 2001..ml. These features were compared to those detected on prostate biopsy 1...
- Real-time endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration of mediastinal and hilar lymph nodesKazuhiro Yasufuku
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Chest 126:122-8. 2004....
- Application of an immunodiagnostic method for improving preoperative diagnosis of nodular thyroid lesionsA Bartolazzi
Department of Oncology Pathology, Cellular and Molecular Tumor Pathology, Cancer Center Karolinska, CCK R8 04 Karolinska Hospital, 17176, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 357:1644-50. 2001..We undertook an international multicentre study to assess the usefulness of immunohistocytochemical staining for two potential markers of malignant thyrocytes...
- Percutaneous needle biopsy for indeterminate renal masses: a national survey of UK consultant urologistsAzhar A Khan
Bristol Urological Institute, Southmead Hospital, Bristol, UK
BMC Urol 7:10. 2007The use of percutaneous needle biopsy in the evaluation of indeterminate renal masses is controversial and its role in management remains largely unclear. We set to establish current practice on this issue in UK urology departments.
- Prognostic significance of Gleason score discrepancies between needle biopsy and radical prostatectomyMichael Muntener
Department of Urology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Eur Urol 53:767-75; discussion 775-6. 2008Discordance between the Gleason score (GS) on needle biopsy (NB) and the GS of the radical prostatectomy (RP) specimen is a common finding...
- US-guided core needle biopsy of axillary lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer: why and how to do itHiroyuki Abe
Section of Breast Imaging, Department of Radiology, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC 2026, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Radiographics 27:S91-9. 2007..Although not widely performed for axillary lymph node staging, ultrasonography (US)-guided core needle biopsy is a well-established procedure for the breast and other organs, with a higher success rate in terms of tissue ..
- Anatomically based guidelines for core needle biopsy of bone tumors: implications for limb-sparing surgeryPatrick T Liu
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 13400 E Shea Blvd, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Radiographics 27:189-205; discussion 206. 2007Diagnostic image-guided needle biopsy plays a vital role in the work-up and treatment of patients with extremity bone tumors...
- Office-based core needle biopsy of bone and soft tissue malignancies: an accurate alternative to open biopsy with infrequent complicationsSheila C Adams
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami Hospital, 1400 NW 12th Avenue, Room 4036, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 468:2774-80. 2010..As an alternative to open biopsy, percutaneous core needle biopsy techniques have been developed...
- Breast cancer hormone receptor assay results of core needle biopsy and modified radical mastectomy specimens from the same patientsGemma B Uy
Department of Surgery, Philippine General Hospital, University of the Philippines, Manila, Philippine
Clin Breast Cancer 10:154-9. 2010..Hormone receptor (HR) expression is the most important biomarker and is the cornerstone in the management of breast cancer. Therefore, the accuracy of its testing is critical in treatment decisions...
- CT-guided needle biopsy of lung lesions: a survey of severe complication based on 9783 biopsies in JapanNoriyuki Tomiyama
Department of Radiology, Osaka University Graduated School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Eur J Radiol 59:60-4. 2006The aim of our study was to update the rate of severe complications following CT-guided needle biopsy in Japan via a mailed survey.
- Aspiration needle biopsy in preoperative selection of thyroid nodules defined at fine-needle aspiration as microfollicular lesionsA Carpi
Department of Reproduction and Aging, University of Pisa, Italy
Am J Clin Oncol 22:65-9. 1999..The authors retrospectively assess the use of aspiration needle biopsy (either 16- or 18-gauge needles) in the preoperative selection of the nodules diagnosed as microfollicular at ..
- The diagnostic value of needle biopsy for musculoskeletal lesionsKi Sun Sung
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Irwon Dong 50, Gangnam Gu, Seoul, 135 710, Korea
Int Orthop 33:1701-6. 2009The purpose of this study was to assess the diagnostic value of imaging-guided core needle biopsy for the diagnosis of musculoskeletal lesions...
- Freehand MRI-guided preoperative needle localization of breast lesions after MRI-guided vacuum-assisted core needle biopsy without marker placementStephanie M W Y van de Ven
Department of Radiology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:101-9. 2010To evaluate the feasibility of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)-guided preoperative needle localization (PNL) of breast lesions previously sampled by MRI-guided vacuum-assisted core needle biopsy (VACNB) without marker placement.
- EBUS-TBNA for the diagnosis of central parenchymal lung lesions not visible at routine bronchoscopyKurt G Tournoy
Department of Respiratory Medicine and Lung Oncologic Network, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Lung Cancer 63:45-9. 2009..Obtaining a tissue diagnosis of malignancy is challenging in patients with suspected lung cancer presenting with centrally located intrapulmonary masses...
- Extent and histologic pattern of atypical ductal hyperplasia present on core needle biopsy specimens of the breast can predict ductal carcinoma in situ in subsequent excisionMichael J Wagoner
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 131:112-21. 2009Atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) diagnosed by core needle biopsy (CNB) is regarded as an indication for surgical excision...
- The diagnostic value of endobronchial ultrasound-guided needle biopsy in lung cancer and mediastinal adenopathyWei Sun
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 38:337-42. 2010..This technique enables us to obtain tissue samples for quick diagnoses beyond central airway with minimal complications...
- Transient elastography is unreliable for detection of cirrhosis in patients with acute liver damageAbdurrahman Sagir
Klinik fur Gastroenterologie, Hepatologie und Infektiologie, Universitätsklinik Düsseldorf, Dusseldorf, Germany
Hepatology 47:592-5. 2008..5 kPa. Six patients with initially high liver stiffness were followed up to abatement of the acute hepatitic phase; in all of them, liver stiffness values decreased to values below the cutoff value for liver cirrhosis...
- [Fatal septic shock caused by transrectal needle biopsy of the prostate; a case report]Taro Hasegawa
Department of Urology, Jikei University, School of Medicine
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 76:893-7. 2002..The prostate had numerous microabscesses. Currently, transrectal prostate biopsy is considered a generally reliable procedure to detect adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Our case seems to the sixth case report of fatal complications...
- Transthoracic needle biopsy: factors effecting risk of pneumothoraxUgur Topal
Department of Radiology, Uludag University Medical School, Gorukle Campus, 16059 Bursa, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 48:263-7. 2003..to evaluate the factors that could effect the risk of pneumothorax in patients undergoing transthoracic biopsy...
- CT-guided percutaneous core needle biopsy in deep seated musculoskeletal lesions: a prospective study of 128 casesA Puri
Orthopaedic Oncology Service, Tata Memorial Hospital, E Borges Marg, Parel, Mumbai, India
Skeletal Radiol 35:138-43. 2006..A prospective study of CT-guided core needle biopsies for deep-seated musculoskeletal lesions was conducted at a referral cancer institute over a 4-year period with the aim of assessing the safety and efficacy of the procedure...
- Infectious complications from full extension endobronchial ultrasound transbronchial needle aspirationA R Haas
Interventional Pulmonary Program, Division of Pulmonary Medicine and Critical Care, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Eur Respir J 33:935-8. 2009....
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration findings of gastrointestinal leiomyomas and gastrointestinal stromal tumorsEdward B Stelow
Dept of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, Mail Code 815, 701 Park Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 119:703-8. 2003....
- Prospective evaluation of a 21-sample needle biopsy procedure designed to improve the prostate cancer detection rateAlexandre De La Taille
Department of Urology, CHU Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Urology 61:1181-6. 2003To evaluate prospectively the diagnostic yield of a 21-sample ultrasound-guided needle biopsy procedure for prostate cancer in patients with elevated serum prostate-specific antigen and/or abnormal digital rectal examination findings.
- Predicting cancer following a diagnosis of high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia on needle biopsy: data on men with more than one follow-up biopsyJ D Kronz
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1079-85. 2001..Although clinical findings at the time of diagnosis of high-grade PIN are not useful to predict who might have cancer, histologic findings may help identify who needs additional biopsies...
- Ductal lavage for detection of cellular atypia in women at high risk for breast cancerW C Dooley
Institute for Breast Health, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, 73104, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 93:1624-32. 2001..In this study, ductal lavage, a new procedure for collecting ductal cells with a microcatheter, was compared with nipple aspiration with regard to safety, tolerability, and the ability to detect abnormal breast epithelial cells...
- Freehand iMRI-guided large-gauge core needle biopsy: a new minimally invasive technique for diagnosis of enhancing breast lesionsB L Daniel
Department of Radiology, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 13:896-902. 2001..In this study, a freehand method was developed for large-gauge core needle biopsy (LCNB) guided by intraprocedural MRI (iMRI)...
- The relationship of prostate gland volume to extended needle biopsy on prostate cancer detectionJean O Ung
Department of Urologic Surgery and Biometrics Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Urol 169:130-5. 2003We investigated the relationship between prostate volume and cancer detection by needle biopsy, and determined the effect of an increased number of cores on the sampling error of needle biopsy on large prostate glands.
- Analysis of ret/PTC gene rearrangements refines the fine needle aspiration diagnosis of thyroid cancerC C Cheung
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The Freeman Center for Endocrine Oncology, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2M9
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2187-90. 2001..The results indicate that RT-PCR for ret/PTC is a specific marker that can be applied to fine needle aspiration biopsies and improves the diagnosis of malignancy when used as an adjunct to traditional cytology...
- Prediction of extraprostatic extension in the neurovascular bundle based on prostate needle biopsy pathology, serum prostate specific antigen and digital rectal examinationToyonori Tsuzuki
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Urol 173:450-3. 2005..We investigated whether clinical information and prostate biopsy data could predict EPE of clinical localized prostate cancer...
- Prostate needle biopsies containing prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia or atypical foci suspicious for carcinoma: implications for patient careJonathan I Epstein
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, The James Brady Urological Institute, The Johns Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
J Urol 175:820-34. 2006..We identified information critical for patient treatment on prostate needle biopsies diagnosed with prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia or atypical foci suspicious for carcinoma...
- Prostate cancers diagnosed at repeat biopsy are smaller and less likely to be high gradeNelly Tan
Glickman Urologic and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Urol 180:1325-9; discussion 1329. 2008..We investigated whether prostate cancer diagnosed on initial prostate biopsy had worse pathological outcomes compared to that diagnosed on repeat prostate biopsy...
- A contemporary study correlating prostate needle biopsy and radical prostatectomy Gleason scoreSamson W Fine
Department of Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Urol 179:1335-8; discussion 1338-9. 2008We determined whether contemporary practice patterns of Gleason grading for prostate needle biopsy and radical prostatectomy have evolved.
- Ductal carcinoma in situ diagnosed with stereotactic core needle biopsy: can invasion be predicted?C H Lee
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar St, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Radiology 217:466-70. 2000..whether mammographic or histologic features can be used to predict which cases diagnosed as ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) without invasion by means of stereotactic core needle biopsy (SCNB) will have invasive disease at surgery.
- Evaluation of abnormal mammography results and palpable breast abnormalitiesKarla Kerlikowske
University of California, San Francisco, General Internal Medicine Section, Department of Veterans Affairs, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Ann Intern Med 139:274-84. 2003....
- Fine-needle percutaneous biopsy of renal masses with helical CT guidanceE Lechevallier
Departments of Urology, Hopital Salvator, 249 Blvd Ste Marguerite, 13274 Marseille, France
Radiology 216:506-10. 2000..To evaluate the feasibility, accuracy, and clinical role of fine-needle percutaneous biopsy of renal masses, with helical computed tomographic (CT) guidance...
- The incidence and the risk of pneumothorax and chest tube placement after percutaneous CT-guided lung biopsy: the angle of the needle trajectory is a novel predictorHisashi Saji
Department of Surgery, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Chest 121:1521-6. 2002..The aims of this study were to estimate the risk of pneumothorax in patients undergoing CT-guided lung biopsy, and to determine which factors affect its occurrence...
- Diagnosis of "follicular neoplasm": a gray zone in thyroid fine-needle aspiration cytologyZubair W Baloch
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 26:41-4. 2002..However, clinical features, including gender, nodule size, and age, can be a part of the decision analysis in selecting patients for surgery...
- Evaluation of liver fibrosis: a concise reviewNezam H Afdhal
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02125, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:1160-74. 2004..The limitations of utilization of these markers for both cross-sectional diagnosis of fibrosis and monitoring disease progression or regression are discussed...
- Identification of candidate prostate cancer biomarkers in prostate needle biopsy specimens using proteomic analysisJian feng Lin
Key Laboratory of Ministry of Education for Cell Biology and Tumor Cell Engineering, School of Life Sciences, Xiamen University, Xiamen 361005, China
Int J Cancer 121:2596-605. 2007..cancer (PCa) detection, the definitive diagnosis of PCa is based on the information contained in prostate needle biopsy (PNBX) specimens...
- Acute bacterial prostatitis after transrectal prostate needle biopsy: clinical analysisKazuyoshi Shigehara
Department of Urology, Ishikawa Prefectural Central Hospital, 2 1 Kuratsukihigashi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Japan
J Infect Chemother 14:40-3. 2008..Treatment with cephalosporin or carbapenem is recommended for patients with acute prostatitis after prostate biopsy...
- Risk of prostate cancer after detection of isolated high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN) on extended core needle biopsy: a UK hospital experienceParas B Singh
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Preston, UK
BMC Urol 9:3. 2009..Our aim was to assess the occurrence of HGPIN in a regional UK population and to determine whether in a retrievable cohort of such patients that had repeat extended core biopsies, there was an elevated risk of CaP...
- Risk factors for invasive breast cancer when core needle biopsy shows ductal carcinoma in situEmil D Kurniawan
Department of Surgery, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Arch Surg 145:1098-104. 2010A core needle biopsy (CNB) diagnosis of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) may be associated with a final diagnosis of invasive cancer...
- The presence of micropapillary features and retraction artifact in core needle biopsy material predicts lymph node metastasis in breast carcinomaGeza Acs
Anatomic Pathology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:202-10. 2009..We examined whether the presence and extent of micropapillary features and retraction artifact in core needle biopsy of breast cancers can predict nodal metastasis in a prospective series of 47 IMPC and 424 IDC...
- Percutaneous imaging-guided solid organ core needle biopsy: coaxial versus noncoaxial methodMalcolm K Hatfield
Milwaukee Radiologists, Ltd, affiliated with Aurora St Luke s Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:413-7. 2008..We also compared bleeding complication rates with and without absorbable gelatin sponge occlusion of the biopsy track...
- Diagnostic utility of a p63/alpha-methyl coenzyme A racemase (p504s) cocktail in ambiguous lesions of the prostate upon needle biopsyVincent Molinie
Department of Pathology, Hopital Saint Joseph, Paris, France
BJU Int 97:1109-15. 2006To investigate the potential utility of a new combined immunostaining technique for diagnosing prostate cancer from histological analysis of needle biopsy specimens.
- The value of 18F-choline PET/CT in patients with elevated PSA-level and negative prostate needle biopsy for localisation of prostate cancerI Igerc
Department of Nuclear Medicine and Endocrinology, PET CT Center, Klagenfurt, State Hospital Klagenfurt, St Veiterstrasse 47, A 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 35:976-83. 2008....
- Finding a balanced strategy in prostate cancer diagnosis for case detection by prostate needle biopsy at first presentation: "all for more cores and more cores for all" or individualised sampling regimens? Which way forward?Anup Patel
Eur Urol 52:313-5. 2007
- PTOV1 expression predicts prostate cancer in men with isolated high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia in needle biopsyJuan Morote
Department of Urology, Vall d Hebron Hospital, Vall d Hebron Hospital Research Institute, and Autónoma University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 14:2617-22. 2008To analyze the expression of PTOV1 in high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HG-PIN) and to explore its usefulness to predict prostate cancer in patients with isolated HG-PIN in needle biopsy (prostate needle biopsy).
- The role of core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of suspected soft tissue tumoursD C Strauss
Sarcoma Unit, Department of Surgery, Royal Marsden Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Fulham Road, London, UK
J Surg Oncol 102:523-9. 2010..The objective of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of core needle biopsy (CNB) in patients referred with the suspicion of a soft tissue sarcoma.
- Systemic air embolism after percutaneous transthorasic needle biopsy of the lungMahyar Ghafoori
Department of Radiology, Hazrat Rasoul Akram University Hospital, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Emerg Radiol 15:353-6. 2008..This extremely rare complication is an inevitable event and may happen in spite of appropriate experience and meticulous care...
- Automatic core needle biopsy: a diagnostic option for head and neck massesGurston G Nyquist
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, San Francisco, CA 94118, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 134:184-9. 2008To examine the role of core needle biopsy in the diagnosis of head and neck masses.
- Diagnostic impact of core-needle biopsy on fine-needle aspiration of non-Hodgkin lymphomaJerald Z Gong
Department of Pathology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 31:23-30. 2004..All the cases had cytology and core-needle biopsy and 53 cases had concurrent flow cytometric analysis...
- Axillary staging by percutaneous biopsy: sensitivity of fine-needle aspiration versus core needle biopsyRoshni Rao
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 16:1170-5. 2009We sought to determine whether percutaneous core needle biopsy (CNB) of suspicious axillary lymph nodes in patients with breast cancer offers improved diagnostic accuracy compared with fine-needle aspiration (FNA).
- Diagnostic accuracy of large-core needle biopsy for nonpalpable breast disease: a meta-analysisH M Verkooijen
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Cancer 82:1017-21. 2000..Five cohort studies were included in a meta-analysis. Sensitivity rate, histological agreement between needle biopsy and subsequent surgery or long-term mammographic follow-up and clinical consequences for different disease ..
- Does disposable needle guide minimize infectious complications after transrectal prostate needle biopsy?Altug Tuncel
Ministry of Health, Ankara Numune Research and Training Hospital, Third Department of Urology, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 71:1024-7; discussion 1027-8. 2008..To investigate the effectiveness of disposable transrectal ultrasound needle guide in the prevention of possible infectious complications after transrectal prostate biopsy...
- Solitary fibrous tumour of the prostate identified on needle biopsyAndrea B Galosi
Urology Institute, Polytechnic University of the Marche Region, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria, Ancona, Italy
Eur Urol 56:564-7. 2009..and radical prostatectomy features of a case of solitary fibrous tumour (SFT) of the prostate identified on needle biopsy are presented. The main differential diagnoses are discussed...
- Risk of pleural recurrence after needle biopsy in patients with resected early stage lung cancerHaruhisa Matsuguma
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Tochigi Cancer Center, Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 80:2026-31. 2005Concerning the complications resulting from percutaneous needle biopsy (PNB), although cases of tumor seeding into the needle track have occasionally been reported, there were only two cases of pleural recurrences to date...
- Systemic air embolism detected during percutaneous transthoracic needle biopsy: report of two cases and a proposal for a routine postprocedure computed tomography scan of the aorto-cardiac regionHsueh Li Kuo
Department of Radiology, National Cheng Kung University Hospital, Tainan 70403, Taiwan
Clin Imaging 34:53-6. 2010....
- High-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia on needle biopsy: risk of cancer on repeat biopsy related to number of involved cores and morphologic patternTarek Bishara
Pee Dee Pathology Associates, Florence, SC, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:629-33. 2004The importance of isolated high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN) on needle biopsy is its association with synchronous invasive carcinoma. The relevance of this relationship has been called into question in recent years...
- Solitary fibrous tumor on needle biopsy and transurethral resection of the prostate: a clinicopathologic study of 13 casesMehsati Herawi
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 31:870-6. 2007One of the least commonly encountered spindle cell tumors seen on prostatic needle biopsy or transurethral resection (TUR) of the prostate is solitary fibrous tumor (SFT)...
- Diagnosis of autoimmune pancreatitis by core needle biopsy: application of six microscopic criteriaSönke Detlefsen
Department of Pathology, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Arnold Heller Str 3, Haus 14, 24105, Kiel, Germany
Virchows Arch 454:531-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of pancreatic core needle biopsy for the diagnosis of AIP...
- Predictors of invasion in patients with core-needle biopsy-diagnosed ductal carcinoma in situ and recommendations for a selective approach to sentinel lymph node biopsy in ductal carcinoma in situLei Huo
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 107:1760-8. 2006Among patients with core-needle biopsy (CNB)-diagnosed ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), the guidelines for the selection of patients to undergo sentinel lymph node (SLN) biopsy are not well defined, and many patients with no invasion ..
- Comparison of a 3-day with a 1-day regimen of an extended-release formulation of ciprofloxacin as antimicrobial prophylaxis for patients undergoing transrectal needle biopsy of the prostateAnthony J Schaeffer
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
BJU Int 100:51-7. 2007..and the clinical safety of a 1-day with a 3-day regimen of an extended-release formulation of ciprofloxacin (ciprofloxacin XR) given as antimicrobial prophylaxis to men undergoing transrectal needle biopsy of the prostate (TRNBP).
- Grading of invasive cribriform carcinoma on prostate needle biopsy: an interobserver study among experts in genitourinary pathologyMathieu Latour
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:1532-9. 2008..Out of 3590 prostate cancers sent to one of the authors over 7 months, 30 needle biopsy cases were selected that possibly represented cribriform Gleason pattern 3 cancer...
- Biopsy of resectable colorectal liver metastases causes tumour dissemination and adversely affects survival after liver resectionO M Jones
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, North Hampshire Hospital, Aldermaston Road, Basingstoke RG24 9NA, UK
Br J Surg 92:1165-8. 2005..Liver resection is increasingly being performed for metastatic colorectal cancer. This study assessed the need for preoperative biopsy of suspected metastases and whether biopsy has any effect on long-term survival...
- Plasmablastic lymphoma involving breast: a case diagnosed by fine-needle aspiration and core needle biopsyJun Wang
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 36:257-61. 2008..Molecular genetic studies showed clonal rearrangement of the immunoglobulin kappa light chain gene. This is the first case of PBL involving the breast reported in English cytological literature...
- Prediction of pathological stages before prostatectomy in prostate cancer patients: analysis of 12 systematic prostate needle biopsy specimensEun Ah Park
Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Institute of Radiation Medicine, Seoul National University Medical Research Center, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Int J Urol 14:704-8. 2007....
- Ultrasonography and core needle biopsy in the differential diagnosis of fibroadenoma and tumor phyllodesM K Bode
Departments of Diagnostic Radiology and Pathology, Oulu University Hospital, FIN 90029 OYS, Oulu, Finland
Acta Radiol 48:708-13. 2007..The diagnosis of phyllodes tumors of the breast is challenging due to many similarities with common fibroadenomas...
- Accuracy and sensitivity of computed tomography-guided percutaneous needle biopsy of pulmonary hilar lymph nodesRony Avritscher
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Cancer 116:1974-80. 2010..Computed tomography (CT)-guided percutaneous needle biopsy (PNB) allows the operator to acquire a larger core needle biopsy (CNB) when initial samples are inconclusive, ..
- Prostate needle biopsy: 12 vs. 18 cores -- is it necessary?Pietro Pepe
Urology Unit, Cannizzaro Hospital, Catania, Italy
Urol Int 74:19-22. 2005The aim of this study is to compare the histological results of a prostate needle biopsy scheme of 12 and 18 cores used in 372 consecutive patients submitted to an early stage diagnosis programme for prostate cancer (PCa).
- Aberrant diffuse expression of p63 in adenocarcinoma of the prostate on needle biopsy and radical prostatectomy: report of 21 casesAdeboye O Osunkoya
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 32:461-7. 2008..We studied 19 cases of prostate cancer with aberrant diffuse expression of p63 on needle biopsy and reviewed the subsequent radical prostatectomies in 6 cases...
- CT-guided transthoracic needle biopsy in the diagnosis of sarcoidosisJeffrey S Klein
Department of Radiology, Fletcher Allen Health Care, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
J Thorac Imaging 24:23-30. 2009..We describe our experience with computed tomography-guided transthoracic needle biopsy (CT-TNB) of mediastinal lymph nodes for the diagnosis of sarcoidosis.
- Overexpression of CD24, c-myc and phospholipase 2A in prostate cancer tissue samples obtained by needle biopsyBalint Nagy
Genetic Laboratory, 1st Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Pathol Oncol Res 15:279-83. 2009..Prostate tissue samples were collected by needle biopsy from 20 prostate cancer (PCA) and 11 benign prostate hyperplasic (BPH) patients...
- Anticoagulation and bleeding risk after core needle biopsyPatricia Somerville
The Elizabeth Wende Breast Clinic, 170 Sawgrass Dr, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:1194-7. 2008The objective of our study was to compare the bleeding complication rates after core needle biopsy in patients receiving anticoagulation therapy and those who had not to assess the safety of performing core needle breast biopsy in ..
- Axillary lymph nodes suspicious for breast cancer metastasis: sampling with US-guided 14-gauge core-needle biopsy--clinical experience in 100 patientsHiroyuki Abe
Department of Radiology, University of Chicago, 5841 S Maryland Ave, MC 2026, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Radiology 250:41-9. 2009To study the clinical usefulness of ultrasonography (US)-guided core-needle biopsy (CNB) of axillary lymph nodes and the US-depicted abnormalities that may be used to predict nodal metastases.
- Feasibility of MRI-guided large-core-needle biopsy of suspiscious breast lesions at 3 TNicky H G M Peters
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, E 01 132, 3584 CX, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Radiol 19:1639-44. 2009..MRI-guided biopsy at 3 T is a safe and effective method for breast biopsy in lesions that are occult on mammography and ultrasound. Follow-up MRI at 6 months after the biopsy should be performed in case of a benign biopsy result...
- CT-guided transthoracic needle biopsy using a puncture site-down positioning techniqueFumiko Kinoshita
Division of Radiology, Department of Pathophysiological and Therapeutic Science, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, 36 1 Nishi cho, Yonago, Tottori 683 8506, Japan
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:926-32. 2006..The goal of our study was to determine the efficacy and safety of this technique for biopsy of lung lesions compared with the standard technique...
- [Management of non-malignant results in core needle biopsy of breast lesions]Zhao qing Fan
Key Laboratory of Carcinogenesis and Translational Research Ministry of Education, Breast Cancer Center, Peking University School of Oncology, Beijing Cancer Hospital, Beijing 100142, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 88:2387-90. 2008To study the strategy of management of non-malignant results in core needle biopsy (CNB) of breast lesions.
- Inaccuracy of fine-needle biopsy in the diagnosis of solitary fibrous tumour of the liverJane Jingyao Chen
Department of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, UK
Asian J Surg 31:195-8. 2008..We report a case of SFT of the liver and highlight the potential inaccuracy of percutaneous biopsy in the diagnosis of large solitary liver tumours...
- Does image guidance improve accuracy of core needle biopsy in diagnosis of soft tissue tumours?Amir Ali Narvani
Tumour Unit, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust, Stanmore, England
Acta Orthop Belg 75:239-44. 2009The aim of this study was to compare accuracy of an image guided percutaneous core needle biopsy (PCNB), using ultrasound or computed tomography, to PCNB without image guidance in the diagnosis of palpable soft tissue tumours...
- Ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy of parotid gland swellingsR Pratap
Department of Otolaryngology, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich, UK
J Laryngol Otol 123:449-52. 2009To determine whether ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy is a safe and reliable investigation in cases of parotid swelling in which fine needle aspiration cytology has failed to give a definitive diagnosis.
- Preoperative assessment of hepatocellular carcinoma tumor grade using needle biopsy: implications for transplant eligibilityTimothy M Pawlik
Department of Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 22187 6681, USA
Ann Surg 245:435-42. 2007..To examine the diagnostic agreement of preoperative needle core biopsy (NCB) grading of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) compared with the final surgical pathologic tumor grade...
- Upright stereotactic vacuum-assisted needle biopsy of suspicious breast microcalcificationsL S J Sim
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 52:358-64. 2008Stereotactic core needle biopsy is a useful technique for evaluation of suspicious breast microcalcifications...
- An improved method for constructing tissue microarrays from prostate needle biopsy specimensF McCarthy
Institute of Cancer Research, Male Urological Cancer Research Centre, 15 Cotswold Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG, UK
J Clin Pathol 62:694-8. 2009Prostate cancer diagnosis is routinely made by the histopathological examination of formalin fixed needle biopsy specimens...
- Difference of cancer core distribution between first and repeat biopsy: In patients diagnosed by extensive transperineal ultrasound guided template prostate biopsyTsuyoshi Furuno
Department of Urology, Sapporo Kosei Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Prostate 58:76-81. 2004..We performed extensive transperineal ultrasound guided template prostate biopsy and evaluated cancer core distribution...
- Repeat biopsy strategy in patients with atypical small acinar proliferation or high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia on initial prostate needle biopsyP G Borboroglu
Department of Urology, Naval Medical Center-San Diego, 34800 Bob Wilson Drive, Suite 5, San Diego, CA 92134-1005, USA
J Urol 166:866-70. 2001..The optimal repeat biopsy strategy in this setting should include bilateral biopsies of the standard sextant locations. We also strongly recommend that transition zone sampling should be considered...
- [Value of 14-gauge ultrasound-guided large-core needle biopsy of breast lesions: own results in comparison with the literature]M Memarsadeghi
Klinik für Radiodiagnostik der Universität Wien
Rofo 175:374-80. 2003To report the false-negative rate, sensitivity, and specificity of 14-gauge ultrasound-guided large-core needle biopsy (14-G USSB) performed on breast lesions at our institution and, furthermore, to compare and discuss our own results ..
- The feasibility of using fine needle aspiration from primary breast cancers for cDNA microarray analysesLaura Assersohn
Royal Marsden Hospital, Surrey SM2 5PT, United Kingdom
Clin Cancer Res 8:794-801. 2002....
- Three-dimensional ultrasound-validated large-core needle biopsy: is it a reliable method for the histological assessment of breast lesions?L Delle Chiaie
Centre for Ultrasound and Prenatal Diagnosis, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 23:393-7. 2004..The aim of this study was to demonstrate the efficacy of 3D ultrasound-validated large-core needle biopsy (LCNB) of the breast.
- Ultrasound guided fine needle biopsy of early hepatocellular carcinoma complicating liver cirrhosis: a multicentre studyE Caturelli
Unità Operativa di Gastroenterologia, Ospedale Belcolle, Strada Sammartinese, 01100 Viterbo, Italy
Gut 53:1356-62. 2004....
- Prostate cancer detection with office based saturation biopsy in a repeat biopsy populationJohn C Rabets
Glickman Urological Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Urol 172:94-7. 2004..We now report the diagnostic yield of office saturation biopsy in patients at increased risk for prostate cancer and at least 1 negative prior biopsy...
- [Septic shock due to fluoroquinolone-resistant Escherichia coli after trans-rectal prostate needle biopsy]Renpei Kato
Department of Urology, Iwate Medical University, School of Medicine
Hinyokika Kiyo 56:453-6. 2010A 64-year-old man took levofloxacin 100 mg three times a day from the day before trans-rectal prostate needle biopsy. He suddenly fell into septic shock about 12 hours after the biopsy...
- Intrinsic markers of tumour hypoxia and angiogenesis in localised prostate cancer and outcome of radical treatment: a retrospective analysis of two randomised radiotherapy trials and one surgical cohort studyRoy Vergis
Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, UK
Lancet Oncol 9:342-51. 2008..We aimed to study the predictive value of intrinsic markers of tumour hypoxia and angiogenesis in localised prostate cancer, both in patients treated with radiotherapy and in those treated surgically...
- REGULATION OF MUSCLE BLOOD FLOW IN OLD AGEDavid Proctor; Fiscal Year: 2003..in active skeletal muscle during exercise and if so, is this related to differences in muscle fiber type (needle biopsy)? 4) Does an aerobic exercise training program modify the effects of age on exercise hyperemia and vasodilator ..
- Quantifying Liver Fibrosis with Acoustic Radiation ForceKathryn Nightingale; Fiscal Year: 2009..method will increase the accuracy of fibrosis staging as compared to the clinical standard of a single core needle biopsy. Due to its noninvasive and inexpensive nature, this system will provide the currently unavailable ability to ..
- Quantifying Liver Fibrosis with Acoustic Radiation ForceKathryn Nightingale; Fiscal Year: 2007..method will increase the accuracy of fibrosis staging as compared to the clinical standard of a single core needle biopsy. Due to its noninvasive and inexpensive nature, this system will provide the currently unavailable ability to ..
- Quantifying Liver Fibrosis with Acoustic Radiation ForceKathryn Radabaugh Nightingale; Fiscal Year: 2010..method will increase the accuracy of fibrosis staging as compared to the clinical standard of a single core needle biopsy. Due to its noninvasive and inexpensive nature, this system will provide the currently unavailable ability to ..
- Quantifying Liver Fibrosis with Acoustic Radiation ForceKathryn Nightingale; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Pyrophosphorolysis-activatable helicase dependent amplification assay for lung caBERTRAND LEMIEUX; Fiscal Year: 2007..are often difficult (due to thoracic location of tumor which increases the chance of lung collapse with a needle biopsy), the development of a non-invasive method to assay for the emergence of resistance would be a significant ..
- CT fluoroscopy guided robotically assisted lung biopsyKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..an existing robotic system to assist the physician in accurate computed tomography (CT) fluoroscopy-guided needle biopsy of lung nodules...
- Synergistic CT-Bronchoscopy for Lung-Cancer AssessmentWilliam Higgins; Fiscal Year: 2007..Transcutaneous needle biopsy also has low yield for small nodules and has other potential complications...
- Sealing Liver Biopsy Tracts with HydrogelsLUCJAN HRONOWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2006..The most common type of liver biopsy is a percutaneous (through the skin) needle biopsy. Ultrasonography or Computed Tomography (CT) scans may be used to aid in the procedure to identify lesions in ..
- Thin Film Magnetic Sensors for Ultrathin Bronchoscope NavigationERIK LANGE; Fiscal Year: 2006..fail and must be repeated or replaced with more invasive approaches such as fluoroscopic guided percutaneous needle biopsy or surgical biopsy...
- Race, Lipoprotein Lipase and Obesity after MenopauseAndrew Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2007..in AA compared to CAU postmenopausal women using tissue obtained during elective abdominal surgery and by needle biopsy, and 2) WL, by reducing SM (vastus lateralis - and SAT-LPL activity, is associated with a decrease in SM and ..
- Leucine Type Amino Acid Transport In GliomasMark Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2009..respectively in low and high grade gliomas during the course of the patient's treatment: a) After tumor needle biopsy; b) After the initial cycle of radiation therapy; c) When MR imaging indicates tumor progression; 2) Perform ..
- Leucine Type Amino Acid Transport In GliomasMark Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2007..respectively in low and high grade gliomas during the course of the patient's treatment: a) After tumor needle biopsy; b) After the initial cycle of radiation therapy; c) When MR imaging indicates tumor progression; 2) Perform ..
- MRI Method for In Vivo Iron QuantificationJens Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2007..As validation, the MRI predictions will be correlated to results of needle biopsy of the liver, the current clinical gold standard...
- Leucine Type Amino Acid Transport In GliomasMARK MYRON GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..respectively in low and high grade gliomas during the course of the patient's treatment: a) After tumor needle biopsy;b) After the initial cycle of radiation therapy;c) When MR imaging indicates tumor progression;2) Perform anti-..
- Raman Spectroscopy for Guidance of Stereotactic Breast Biopsies for MicrocalcificMaryann Fitzmaurice; Fiscal Year: 2010..localize the most clinically significant abnormality and are, therefore, a target for subsequent needle biopsy. Raman spectroscopy uses light to obtain a chemical fingerprint of breast tissue that can be analyzed ..
- Targeted prostate biopsy using mathematical optimizationChristos Davatzikos; Fiscal Year: 2007..Therefore, needle biopsy of the prostate has been widely used as a gold standard for the diagnosis and staging of prostate cancer, when ..
- BIOARTIFICIAL MUSCLES FOR GENE THERAPYHerman Vandenburgh; Fiscal Year: 2002..Muscle stem cells (myoblasts) can be isolated by simple needle biopsy and genetically modified to express foreign proteins...
- Raman Spectroscopy for Guidance of Stereotactic Breast Biopsies for MicrocalcificMaryann Fitzmaurice; Fiscal Year: 2009..localize the most clinically significant abnormality and are, therefore, a target for subsequent needle biopsy. Raman spectroscopy uses light to obtain a chemical fingerprint of breast tissue that can be analyzed ..
- Great Lakes/New England Clinical Epidemiology/ValidationDean Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2007..proposes a panel of serum based proteomics discovered biomarkers followed by endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle biopsy of cells with PCR detection of high risk genes discovered by genomic profiling...