intra aortic balloon pumping
Summary: Counterpulsation in which a pumping unit synchronized with the patient's electrocardiogram rapidly fills a balloon in the aorta with helium or carbon dioxide in early diastole and evacuates the balloon at the onset of systole. As the balloon inflates, it raises aortic diastolic pressure, and as it deflates, it lowers aortic systolic pressure. The result is a decrease in left ventricular work and increased myocardial and peripheral perfusion.
Publications194 found, 100 shown here
- Initial experience with miniature axial flow ventricular assist devices for postcardiotomy heart failureMichael J Jurmann
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 77:1642-7. 2004....
- The acute effect of intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation during extracorporeal life support: an experimental studyLoes D C Sauren
Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Academic Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands, and Department of Surgical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Parma, Italy
Artif Organs 31:31-8. 2007..In case of low cardiac output and insufficient extracorporeal flow with PC, adjunctive IABP may be contraindicated...
- Trends in intraaortic balloon counterpulsation complications and outcomes in cardiac surgeryJan T Christenson
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 74:1086-90; discussion 1090-1. 2002..Although the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of IABC have been demonstrated, historically higher complication rates have dissuaded some practitioners from using IABC...
- Intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation in US and non-US centres: results of the Benchmark RegistryMarc Cohen
Division of Cardiology, MCP Hahnemann University School of Medicine, PA, Philadelphia, USA
Eur Heart J 24:1763-70. 2003..To examine differences in patient characteristics and outcomes in 19636 patients enrolled in the USA and 3027 patients enrolled in other countries undergoing intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) counterpulsation...
- Surgical revascularization in patients with poor left ventricular function: on- or off-pump?Hani Shennib
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Montreal General Hospital, Quebec, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 74:S1344-7. 2002..The purpose of this study is to compare the outcome of off-pump coronary artery bypass (OPCAB) and conventional coronary artery bypass (CCAB) in patients with poor left ventricular function, all from a single institution...
- Usefulness of preoperative intraaortic balloon pump therapy during off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting in high-risk patientsTomoaki Suzuki
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Kochi Municipal Hospital, Kochi, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 77:2056-9; discussion 2059-60. 2004..Preoperative intraaortic balloon pump (IABP) therapy improves cardiac performance and facilitates access to the target coronary artery while maintaining hemodynamic stability, especially in high-risk patients...
- Impact of thrombolysis, intra-aortic balloon pump counterpulsation, and their combination in cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarction: a report from the SHOCK Trial Registry. SHould we emergently revascularize Occluded Coronaries for carT A Sanborn
New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 36:1123-9. 2000....
- Ascending versus descending aortic balloon pumping: organ and myocardial perfusion during ischemiaB P Meyns
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Catholic University Leuven, Belgium
Ann Thorac Surg 70:1264-9. 2000..The study focused on hemodynamic effects, myocardial blood flow in normal and ischemic regions, cerebral perfusion, and peripheral organ perfusion...
- The intraaortic balloon pump in cardiac surgeryRoger J F Baskett
The Maritime Heart Centre, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 74:1276-87. 2002..We discussed the IABP in light of new cardiac assist devices and the changing patient population and management strategies. Lastly, we identified areas of future research...
- Effective surgical management of high-risk coronary patients using preoperative intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation therapyJ T Christenson
Clinic for Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital, CH 1211 14, Geneva, Switzerland
Cardiovasc Surg 9:383-90. 2001..The use of preoperative IABP therapy is therefore highly recommended for high-risk coronary patients undergoing CABG...
- Preoperative intraaortic balloon pumps in high-risk patients undergoing open heart surgeryN Kang
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Royal Perth Hospital, Australia
Ann Thorac Surg 72:54-7. 2001..The aim of this study was to determine the impact of preoperative IABP use on survival in high-risk patients having open heart surgery...
- Intra-aortic balloon pumping: effects on left ventricular diastolic functionAshraf W Khir
Department of Bioengineering, Imperial College, Exhibition Rd, London, SW7 2AZ, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 24:277-82. 2003..The aim of this study is to examine the effect of the intra-aortic balloon pump on left ventricular wall motion and transmitral flow...
- Arterial compliance is a main variable determining the effectiveness of intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation: quantitative data from an in vitro studyTheodoros G Papaioannou
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, Medical School, National University of Athens, Greece
Med Eng Phys 24:279-84. 2002..In conclusion, arterial compliance significantly affects IABC efficacy and it could be considered as a further clinical criterion to decide IABC application...
- Basic principles of the intraaortic balloon pump and mechanisms affecting its performanceTheodoros G Papaioannou
Unit of Biomedical Engineering, First Department of Cardiology, Hippokration Hospital, Medical School, National University of Athens, Greece
ASAIO J 51:296-300. 2005..We briefly describe the basic disciplines of counterpulsation by IABP and the induced hemodynamic changes while clarifying the biologic mechanisms that play a crucial role in the modification of IABP acute hemodynamic performance...
- Heart rate effect on hemodynamics during mechanical assistance by the intra-aortic balloon pumpT G Papaioannou
Department of Clinical Therapeutics, Alexandra Hospital, Medical School, National and Kapodestrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Int J Artif Organs 25:1160-5. 2002..We sought to evaluate the relationship between IABC and HR and also to examine whether there is a range of HR with optimum hemodynamic response to IABC...
- Vascular complications of intra-aortic balloon insertion in patients undergoing coronary reavscularization: analysis of 911 casesZile Singh Meharwal
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, Okhla Road, New Dehli, 110 025, India
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:741-7. 2002..We evaluated the vascular complications of IABP and risk factors associated with the development of these complications in patients undergoing myocardial revascularization...
- Myocardial revascularization in patients with severe ischemic left ventricular dysfunction. Long term follow-up in 141 patientsF Bouchart
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hopital Charles Nicolle, C H U de Rouen, F76031 Rouen, France
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 20:1157-62. 2001..Myocardial revascularization in this setting remains controversial because of concerns over operative mortality and morbidity and lack of functional and survival benefit...
- Beat-to-beat effects of intraaortic balloon pump timing on left ventricular performance in patients with low ejection fractionJan J Schreuder
Department of Cardiac Surgery, San Raffaele University Hospital, Milan, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 79:872-80. 2005..The aim of our study was to determine beat-to-beat effects of properly timed IABP, premature IAB inflation, and late IAB deflation on LV performance and LV mechanical dyssynchrony in heart failure patients undergoing cardiac surgery...
- New aspects on the role of blood pressure and arterial stiffness in mechanical assistance by intra-aortic balloon pump: in-vitro data and their application in clinical practiceTheodoros G Papaioannou
Laboratory of Biofluid Mechanics and Biomedical Technology, Fluids Section, School of Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Artif Organs 28:717-27. 2004..The present study provides evidence concerning the hemodynamic conditions, which might lead to optimization of IABP or to the prediction of its acute hemodynamic performance, based on both measurements of AC and blood pressure...
- Pressure and flow-volume distribution associated with intra-aortic balloon inflation: an in vitro studyGiovanni Biglino
Brunel Institute for Bioengineering, Brunel University of West London, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UK
Artif Organs 32:19-27. 2008..Because a clear reduction in flow volume was observed at the angled position, these results may have clinical implications as most patients using IABP in the intensive care units are nursed in semirecumbent position...
- Increased reversal and oscillatory shear stress cause smooth muscle contraction-dependent changes in sheep aortic dynamics: role in aortic balloon pump circulatory supportD Bia
Physiology Department, School of Medicine, Republic University, Montevideo, Uruguay
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 192:487-503. 2008....
- Pulsatile perfusion with intra-aortic balloon pumping ameliorates whole body response to cardiopulmonary bypass in the elderlyFrancesco Onorati
Cardiac Surgery Unit, Magna Graecia University of Catanzaro, Catanzaro, Italy
Crit Care Med 37:902-11. 2009..The growing life expectancy has led the elderly to be increasingly referred to coronary artery bypass grafting. Preexisting comorbidities may benefit from theoretical advantages of pulsatile perfusion during cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB)...
- Elective intraaortic balloon counterpulsation in high-risk off-pump coronary artery bypass graftingHunaid A Vohra
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, Walsgrave Hospital, Coventry, United Kingdom
J Card Surg 21:1-5. 2006..In addition it avoids the need for emergency insertion postoperatively and may result in earlier discharge...
- Prognosis of patients undergoing cardiac surgery and treated with intra-aortic balloon pump counterpulsation prior to surgery: a long-term follow-up studyCorstiaan A den Uil
Department of Cardiology, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:227-31. 2009..8%, 70.1+/-4.9%, and 67.3+/-5.1% for group 1 vs. 98.2+/-1.8%, 84.0+/-5.6% and 84.0+/-5.6% for group 2 (Log-rank: P=0.02). Logistic EuroSCORE (HR 1.03 [1.01-1.05], P=0.007) was an independent predictor of long-term all-cause mortality...
- Effects of intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation on coronary pressure in patients with stenotic coronary arteriesHidetoshi Yoshitani
Department of Internal Medicine and Cardiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka City University, Osaka, Japan
Am Heart J 154:725-31. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the change in intracoronary pressure distal to the coronary stenosis after the IABP by using an intracoronary pressure wire...
- Pressure and flow across severe stenoses: does the intra-aortic balloon pump do its job?Morton J Kern
Am Heart J 154:615-6. 2007
- The current practice of intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation: results from the Benchmark RegistryJ J Ferguson
Texas Heart Institute, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 38:1456-62. 2001....
- Optimal timing of preoperative intraaortic balloon pump support in high-risk coronary patientsJ T Christenson
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hopital de la Tour, Meyrin Geneva, Switzerland
Ann Thorac Surg 68:934-9. 1999..We conducted a prospective, randomized study to determine the optimal timing for preoperative IABP support in a cohort of high-risk patients...
- Elective intraaortic balloon counterpulsation for high-risk off-pump coronary artery bypass operationsJ M Craver
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine and Clinic, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1220-3. 2001..We report our early experience with elective intraaortic balloon counterpulsation (IABP) to enable and facilitate selected high-risk patients to undergo OPCAB...
- A randomized clinical trial to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a percutaneous left ventricular assist device versus intra-aortic balloon pumping for treatment of cardiogenic shock caused by myocardial infarctionMelchior Seyfarth
Deutsches Herzzentrum Munchen, Technische Universitat, Munich, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 52:1584-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to test whether the left ventricular assist device (LVAD) Impella LP2.5 (Abiomed Europe GmbH, Aachen, Germany) provides superior hemodynamic support compared with the intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP)...
- Timing of intra-aortic balloon pump support and 1-year survivalIan R Ramnarine
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, The Cardiothoracic Centre, Liverpool, UK
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 27:887-92. 2005..This study evaluates the effect timing of IABP support on the 1-year survival of patients undergoing cardiac surgery...
- The role of intra-aortic counterpulsation in high-risk OPCAB surgery: a prospective randomized studyJan T Christenson
Clinic for Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
J Card Surg 18:286-94. 2003..High-risk patients would benefit the most of OPCAB revascularization. This prospective and randomized study evaluates the efficacy and safety of pre- and perioperative IABC in high-risk OPCAB...
- Contemporary utilization and outcomes of intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation in acute myocardial infarction: the benchmark registryGregg W Stone
Cardiovascular Research Foundation and Lenox Hill Hospital, 55 East 59th Street, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10022, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:1940-5. 2003..We sought to examine contemporary utilization patterns and clinical outcomes in patients with acute myocardial infarction (AMI) requiring intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) counterpulsation...
- Prophylactic value of preincision intra-aortic balloon pump: analysis of a statewide experienceW L Holman
Departments of Surgery, Medicine, and Anesthesiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 120:1112-9. 2000....
- In-hospital mortality associated with the use of intra-aortic balloon counterpulsationPhilip M Urban
La Tour Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Cardiol 94:181-5. 2004..Therefore, diagnostic evaluation and treatment decisions should be made as early as possible, and physicians should be aware of associated risk factors in making choices for patients...
- Outcome of emergency conventional coronary surgery for acute coronary syndrome due to left main coronary diseaseMitsumasa Hata
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 12:28-31. 2006..This study aimed to assess prognoses for patients undergoing emergency CABG for ACS due to LMT disease...
- Intracardiac left ventricular support in beating heart, multi-vessel revascularizationFrank Isgro
Clinic for Cardiac Surgery, Heart Institute Ludwigshafen, Germany
J Card Surg 18:240-4. 2003....
- [Acute heart failure]Noboru Takekoshi
Department of Cardiology, Kanazawa Medical University
Nihon Rinsho 61:716-22. 2003..We expect that the guideline would be revised to make it more useful with continual advances in the management strategies in the future...
- Management of acute cardiogenic shockLouis E Samuels
Hahnemann University Hospital, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Heart Failure Transplant Center, MS 111, Broad and Vine Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19102 1192, USA
Cardiol Clin 21:43-9. 2003..In the meantime, the role of mechanical cardiac assist and replacement has matured into an effective means of treating acute cardiogenic shock of any variety...
- Mitral valve repair for functional mitral regurgitation in end-stage dilated cardiomyopathy: role of the "edge-to-edge" techniqueMichele De Bonis
Cardiac Surgery Department, San Raffaele University Hospital, Via Olgettina 60, 20132 Milan, Italy
Circulation 112:I402-8. 2005..The aim of this study was to assess the results of mitral valve (MV) repair in functional mitral regurgitation because of end-stage dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM)...
- Comparison of impact of emergency percutaneous revascularization on outcome of patients > or =75 to those < 75 years of age with acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shockDavid Antoniucci
Division of Cardiology, Careggi Hospital, Viale Morgagni I 50134 Florence, Italy
Am J Cardiol 91:1458-61, A6. 2003
- Myocardial recovery using ventricular assist devices: prevalence, clinical characteristics, and outcomesMarc A Simon
Cardiovascular Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Circulation 112:I32-6. 2005..We examined the prevalence, characteristics, and outcomes of BTR subjects in a large single center series...
- A prospective evaluation of hemodynamic instability during off-pump coronary artery bypass surgeryManisha Mishra
Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre, New Delhi, India
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 17:452-8. 2003..After an experience of 5306 multivessel off-pump coronary artery bypasses (OPCABs), this study was undertaken to determine the factors that would identify the patients who were at a higher risk for the procedure...
- Survival of patients treated with intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation for cardiogenic shock in a tertiary centre: variables correlated with deathJoseph Dens
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur J Emerg Med 10:213-8. 2003..To describe the characteristics and mortality rates of 132 cardiogenic shock patients treated with intra-aortic balloon counterpulsation at a university hospital...
- Transcatheter closure of a ruptured ventricular septum following inferior myocardial infarction and cardiogenic shockThomas M Schiele
Cardiology Division, Medizinische Poliklinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 60:224-8. 2003..We report a case of fatal outcome in a patient with inferior myocardial infarction and cardiogenic shock despite technically successful transcatheter closure of a large complex ventricular septal defect...
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection complicating midterm pregnancyAugustine T M Tang
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 78:e35. 2004
- [Survivor of cardiogenic shock following acute myocardial infarction with Churg-Strauss syndrome: first angiographic documention of coronary recanalization of infarct-related arteries: a case report]Takeyuki Kubota
Department of Cardiology, Saitama Cardiovascular and Respiratory Center, Saitama
J Cardiol 44:153-9. 2004..Accordingly, combination therapy of predonisolone and cyclophosphamide was given. He then recovered. Follow-up angiography showed recanalization of the infarct-related arteries...
- Fulminant myocarditis in adults and children: bi-ventricular assist device for recoveryJean Michel Grinda
Cardiac Surgery Department, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, 21 rue Leblanc 75908 Paris cedex 15, France
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:1169-73. 2004..We report five consecutive patients with FM successfully bridged to recovery with a mechanical paracorporel biventricular assist device (BiVAD)...
- Intercontinental LVAS patient transportMichel Haddad
Division of Cardiac Surgery, University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1818-20. 2004..After implantation of the left ventricular assist system in Japan, the patient was stabilized and transported by a commercial airline to Canada where he underwent successful heart transplantation...
- Does current treatment of cardiogenic shock complicating the acute coronary syndromes comply with guidelines?Zaza Iakobishvili
Department of Cardiology, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tikva, Israel
Am Heart J 149:98-103. 2005..The purpose of our study was to evaluate the implementation of guidelines for the treatment of cardiogenic shock (CS) complicating the acute coronary syndromes (ACS)...
- [Post-myocardial infarction ventricular aneurysm and intractable ventricular tachycardia supported by left ventricular assist device: a case report]Katsuhito Ueno
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Yokohama Rosai Hospital, Yokohama
J Cardiol 43:231-5. 2004..This case suggests that the left ventricular assist device is an effective method to support recovery from serious complications after myocardial infarction...
- Pressure response to vasopressors and mortality after direct angioplasty for cardiogenic shockGiuseppe Tarantini
Division of Interventional Cardiology, Department of Cardiology, University of Padua Medical School, Policlinico Universitario, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
Int J Cardiol 94:197-202. 2004....
- Comparison of complete and incomplete revascularization in CABG-patients with severely impaired left ventricular function (LVF)U Boeken
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Moorenstrasse 5, 40225, Dusseldorf, Germany
Z Kardiol 93:216-21. 2004..This may be reached by a possibly incomplete revascularization (ICR)...
- Randomized comparison of intra-aortic balloon support with a percutaneous left ventricular assist device in patients with revascularized acute myocardial infarction complicated by cardiogenic shockHolger Thiele
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, University of Leipzig Heart Centre, Strümpellstr 39, 04289 Leipzig, Germany
Eur Heart J 26:1276-83. 2005..A newly developed percutaneous left ventricular assist device (VAD) (Tandem Heart, Cardiac Assist, Pittsburgh, PA, USA) with active circulatory support might have positive haemodynamic effects and decrease mortality...
- [Cardiogenic shock: pathophysiology, clinics, therapeutical options and perspectives]R Prondzinsky
Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin III, Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale
Internist (Berl) 45:284-95. 2004..Facilitated PCI includes administration of glycoproteine receptor antagonists, mechanical circulation support strategies, such as, intraaortic balloon counterpulsation and potentially prehospital thrombolysis...
- [Circulatory assist devices in cardiology]M Ferrari
Klinik fur Innere Medizin I, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:652-6. 2005..Technical improvements will enhance the use of mechanical assist devices in the near future. Especially the development of portable emergency devices will enrich therapeutic possibilities in cardiology and intensive care medicine...
- Ventricular assist devices as a bridge to cardiac transplantation: the Ottawa experienceMichel Haddad
Division of Cardiac Surgery, University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Artif Organs 28:136-41. 2004..There were no significant differences in outcomes between the two groups. Our study demonstrated the effectiveness of VADs in bridging mortally ill cardiac patients to successful heart transplantation...
- Clinical use of the abiomed BVS 5000 as a pulsatile extracorporeal membrane oxygenation unitLouis Samuels
The Lankenau Hospital, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Wynnewood, PA, USA
ASAIO J 50:234-6. 2004..This report describes a circuit in which an oxygenator is connected to a pulsatile ventricular assist device. Single and dual circuit configurations are illustrated. Recommendations for pulmonary care during support are also described...
- Right ventricular dysfunction in patients with acute inferior MI: role of RV mechanical supportN Moazami
Washington University School of Medicine, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, Missouri 63110 1013, USA
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 51:290-2. 2003..Right ventricular dysfunction after myocardial infarction is associated with high morbidity and mortality. If optimal medical management is ineffective, early consideration should be given to right-sided temporary mechanical assistance...
- Impact of invasive strategy for the management of patients with cardiogenic shock after acute myocardial infarctionOben Doven
Division of Cardiology, University of Mersin, Turkey
Coron Artery Dis 15:361-6. 2004....
- Intraaortic balloon pumping during cardioplegic arrest preserves lung function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseFrancesco Onorati
Cardiac Surgery Unit, Magna Graecia University, Catanzaro, Italy
Ann Thorac Surg 82:35-43. 2006....
- Neutrophil CD11b upregulation during cardiopulmonary bypass is associated with postoperative renal injuryChristine S Rinder
Department of Anesthesiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8051, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 75:899-905. 2003..We hypothesized that components of the inflammatory response to CPB may similarly contribute to post-CPB acute renal injury...
- [Multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of cardiogenic shock]Paweł Nadziakiewicz
slaskie Centrum Chorob Serca, ul Szpitalna 2, Zabrze
Kardiol Pol 65:105-9. 2007
- Aspirin and percutaneous coronary angioplasty are associated with a decline in mortality from cardiogenic shock. Results from a national Israeli survey, 1992--1998I M Barbash
Cardiology Department, Soroka Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
Cardiology 95:119-25. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Although the mortality rate of cardiogenic shock complicating AMI remains high, the increased utilization of aspirin and angioplasty is associated with improved outcome...
- Mechanical circulatory support for cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarction: an experimental and clinical reviewAndrea Garatti
Cardiac Surgery Division, A De Gasperis Department, Niguarda Ca Granda Hospital, Milan, Italy
ASAIO J 53:278-87. 2007..In this review, we report the LVAD experience in the CS setting, starting from percutaneous extracorporeal support up to bridge therapy with implantable devices...
- Implantation of CardioWest total artificial heart for irreversible acute myocardial infarction shockM Morshuis
Clinic for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Heart and Diabetes Center North Rhine Westphalia, University Hospital of the Ruhr University of Bochum, Bad Oeynhausen, Germany
Heart Surg Forum 10:E251-6. 2007..In summary, our first experiences justify this extensive management in young patients who would otherwise have died within a few hours...
- Appropriate indications for the use of a percutaneous cardiopulmonary support system in cases with cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarctionT Aiba
Department of Internal Medicine, National Cardiovascular Center, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Jpn Circ J 65:145-9. 2001..Using PCPS in patients with moderate cardiogenic shock may improve their in-hospital survival, but it must be used before the shock becomes severe...
- [Acute inferior myocardial infarction with right ventricular involvement complicated by interventricular septum rupture - a case report]Janusz L Tarchalski
Oddział Kardiologii Szpitala Zespolonego im L Perzyny, ul Poznańska 79, 62 800 Kalisz
Kardiol Pol 65:436-9; discussion 439. 2007..Pharmacological agents and intraaortic balloon counterpulsation restored normal circulation which enabled elective surgical treatment 14 days after the onset of symptoms...
- [Percutaneous cardiopulmonary support (PCPS), intra-aortic balloon pumping (IABP)]Jun Nakata
Department of Intensive Care Unit, Nippon Medical School
Nihon Rinsho 65:200-7. 2007
- Early results of coronary artery bypass graft surgery in womenBronisław Czech
Department of Cardiac Surgery and Transplantology, Silesian Center for Heart Diseases, Medical University of Silesia, ul Szpitalna 2, 41 800 Zabrze, Poland
Kardiol Pol 65:627-33; discussion 634. 2007..Coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) is a well established therapeutic modality to treat diffuse coronary artery atherosclerosis...
- [Technical equipment of modern coronary care units: ventricular assist devices]Antonio Di Chiara
U O di Cardiologia, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria, Udine
G Ital Cardiol (Rome) 8:25S-31S. 2007..Besides the mandatory specific knowledge, its use in coronary care units should be supported by adequate clinical competence...
- Long intraaortic balloon treatment time leads to more vascular complicationsJan T Christenson
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, University Hospital of Geneva, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 15:408-12. 2007..Independent risk factors for balloon-related complications were long treatment time, acute myocardial infarction, age over 65 years, and ejection fraction less than 0.30...
- [Cardiogenic shock]Kenji Hirahara
Department of Emergency Medicine, Saga University Faculty of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho . 2007
- [Left ventricular assist devices in the catheterisation laboratory]K Boughalem
Explorations Fonctionnelles, Hopital Henri Mondor, 51, Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil Cedex, France
Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris) 56:257-62. 2007....
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting in left ventricular dysfunctionMasoumali Masoumi
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Imam Ali Hospital, Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences, Kermanshah, Iran
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 16:16-20. 2008..The incidence of perioperative myocardial infarction did not differ significantly between groups. The results of this study indicate that beating-heart coronary bypass is safe and effective in patients with left ventricular dysfunction...
- The right axillary artery approach for the Impella Recover LP 5.0 microaxial pumpThomas Sassard
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery and Transplantation, Claude Bernard University, Lyon Cedex, France
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1468-70. 2008....
- Percutaneous ventricular assist devices for cardiogenic shockStephane Cook
Curr Heart Fail Rep 5:163-9. 2008..This article reviews available evidence supporting the use of percutaneous ventricular assist devices in patients suffering from cardiogenic shock...
- [A successful case report of emergency coronary artery bypass grafting for left main trunk obstruction with profound cardiogenic shock: bridge use of balloon pumping and percutaneous cardiopulmonary support system to surgical intervention]E Suenaga
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Fukuoka Tokusyukai Hospital, Kasuga, Japan
Kyobu Geka 54:715-8. 2001..We emphasized a usefulness of combined use of IABP and PCPS to provide systemic organ perfusion and reduce myocardial infarct size and ischemic damages after re-vascularization for coronary insufficiency with profound shock...
- Prognosis after the implantation of an intra-aortic balloon pump in cardiac surgery calculated with a new scoreHarald Hausmann
Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Circulation 106:I203-6. 2002..Nevertheless, indications for and timing of the implantation of a VAD in patients who have received an intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP) remain unclear...
- Impact of early coronary artery bypass graft in an unselected acute coronary syndrome patient populationPedro Monteiro
Cardiology Department, Coimbra University Hospital, Praceta Prof Mota Pinto, 3000 075 Coimbra, Portugal
Circulation 114:I467-72. 2006..Is this really true in an unselected ACS population? The aim of this study was to evaluate, in an ACS population, if the performance of CABG during the index hospitalization influences in-hospital outcome...
- One-year survival following early revascularization for cardiogenic shockJ S Hochman
St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, 1111 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10025, USA
JAMA 285:190-2. 2001..We recommend rapid transfer of patients with AMI complicated by CS, particularly those younger than 75 years, to medical centers capable of providing early angiography and revascularization procedures...
- Initial report of percutaneous right ventricular assist for right ventricular shock secondary to right ventricular infarctionGregory M Giesler
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center and Memorial Herman Heart and Vascular Institute, Houston, Texas, USA
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 68:263-6. 2006..Further evaluation is warranted to evaluate the potential benefits of such a device as well as optimal timing of initiation of RV support...
- Aiming towards complete myocardial revascularization without cardiopulmonary bypass: a systematic approachDimitri Novitzky
James A Haley Veterans Hospital, Department of Thoracic Surgery, University of South Florida Health Sciences Center, College of Medicine, Tampa, FL, USA
Heart Surg Forum 5:214-20. 2002..In this report, we describe a surgical technique we have used in a series of patients that has allowed complete myocardial revascularization...
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery--initial experience in Gdansk: a brief reviewLuther Keita
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Medical University of Gdansk, Gdansk, Poland
Heart Surg Forum 5:240-2. 2002..This study reports our initial clinical experience in off-pump coronary bypass surgery performed at the Department of Cardiac Surgery of the Medical University of Gdansk, Poland...
- Echocardiographic predictors of survival and response to early revascularization in cardiogenic shockMichael H Picard
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02114, USA
Circulation 107:279-84. 2003....
- Coronary pseudoaneurysm: an unreported complication of Castleman's diseaseS Chris Malaisrie
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Michael E DeBakey, Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:318-20. 2006..Careful preoperative planning allowed the placement of a left ventricular assist device with eventual heart transplantation after complete resection of the tumor and unsuccessful myocardial revascularization...
- [Percutaneous insertion of a left ventricular assist device for cardiogenic shock in a patient with a myocardial infarction]J P Ottervanger
Erasmus Medisch Centrum, afd Cardiologie, Dr Molewaterplein 40, 3015 GD Rotterdam
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 147:164-6. 2003....
- [Off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting for patients with cardiogenic shock due to acute myocardial infarction]H Naito
Department of Surgery III, Nara Medical University, Kashihara, Japan
Kyobu Geka 55:750-3. 2002..Off-pump coronary artery bypass (OPCAB) is less invasive, so we have recently been expanding the indication. We performed OPCAB for 3 patients with cardiogenic shock due to acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- [Recurrent low output syndrome after the weaning from mechanical circulatory support for postcardiotomy cardiogenic shock]M Kamada
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Kyobu Geka 55:389-93. 2002..The results suggest that the key to survive to discharge after the weaning from mechanical circulatory support is whether the cardiac contraction could recover or not...
- Management of failed thrombolysis after acute myocardial infarction: an overview of current treatment optionsCesar E Mendoza
University of Miami, USA
Int J Cardiol 114:291-9. 2007..As a result, many different strategies are currently in use. Among these therapeutic interventions, rescue PCI with coronary stenting appears to be superior when it is done in a timely manner by an experienced center...
- Echocardiographic and angiographic correlations in patients with cardiogenic shock secondary to acute myocardial infarctionM Joshua Berkowitz
Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Am J Cardiol 98:1004-8. 2006..Echocardiography and angiography are valuable and result in similar estimated ejection fractions in a large cohort, but there is wide variation between the techniques in patients...
- Late complication after closure of a ventricular septal ruptureJ P Smedema
N1 City Hospital, Goodwood, South Africa
Cardiovasc J S Afr 17:200-1. 2006
- [Treatment of cardiac failure with an intra-aortic balloon pump]Harald Brunvand
Hjertemedisinsk avdeling Rikshospitalet 0027 Oslo
Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 126:2104-6. 2006..Cardiogenic shock is associated with high mortality. This retrospective study examined the effect of an intra aortic balloon pump (IABP) in patients with decompensated heart failure and hypotension, with or without cardiogenic shock...
- Transferring patients for direct coronary angioplasty: a retrospective analysis of 135 unselected patients with acute myocardial infarctionM Margheri
Department of Internal Medicine and Cardiology, University of Florence, Azienda Ospedaliera Careggi
Ital Heart J 2:921-6. 2001..The early return to the admission hospital is safe and does not negatively influence the in-hospital outcome...
- Endothelium-derived nitric oxide enhances the effect of intraaortic balloon pumping on diastolic coronary flowE Toyota
Department of Systems Cardiology and Medical Engineering, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki, Okayama, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 67:1254-61. 1999..We aimed to evaluate whether or not coronary blood flow augmentation during intraaortic balloon pumping is mediated by coronary arteriolar dilation through endothelium-derived nitric oxide release...
- Intraaortic balloon pumping for predominantly right ventricular failure after heart transplantationO E Arafa
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
Ann Thorac Surg 70:1587-93. 2000..Considering right and left ventricular interdependence, we investigated whether intraaortic balloon counterpulsation (IABP) might also alleviate predominantly right ventricular dysfunction after heart transplantation...
- Effect of plasmapheresis for acute humoral rejection after heart transplantationS S Wang
Department of Surgery, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Transplant Proc 38:3692-4. 2006..The objective of this study was to report our experience of treating acute humoral rejection with plasmapheresis in heart transplant (HT) recipients...
- Coronary artery spasm after off-pump coronary artery bypass graftingChih Yuan Lin
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
ANZ J Surg 77:126-9. 2007..It varies in severity and can be associated with circulatory collapse and death. The purpose of this study was to present our experiences on CAS after off-pump CABG and detail its management...
- Intraaortic balloon pumping improves hemodynamics and right ventricular efficiency in acute ischemic right ventricular failureDag Nordhaug
Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, University Hospital North Norway, Tromsø, Norway
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1426-32. 2004..We investigated the impact of intraaortic balloon pumping on hemodynamics and both left and right ventricular function in an experimental model of isolated right ventricular failure...
- [Experimental application of synchronized coronary sinus retroperfusion (SCSR) and left heart bypass (LHB) for severe cardiogenic shock]M Hata
Second Department of Surgery, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Nippon Kyobu Geka Gakkai Zasshi 43:1646-56. 1995..These results suggested this concomitant new application is suitable for recovering from cardiogenic shock due to AMI which is not able to apply antegrade coronary perfusion...
- [Mid-term results of cardiomyoplasty]J C Chachques
Service de chirurgie cardiovasculaire, , Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 87:49-56. 1994..The actuarial 4 year survival rate was 68.3%.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Virulence determinants in S. aureus bacteremiaVance Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2006..aureus infections will advance our understanding of staphylococcal pathogenesis and will enable key advances in protecting the public health from this pathogen. ..
- Host Susceptibility S. aureusVance Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding the host genetic determinants of disease severity in S. aureus infections will advance our understanding of staphylococcal pathogenesis and will enable key advances in protecting the public health from this pathogen. ..
- Host Susceptibility S. aureusVance Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the host genetic determinants of disease severity in S. aureus infections will advance our understanding of staphylococcal pathogenesis and will enable key advances in protecting the public health from this pathogen. ..
- Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in Cardiac SurgeryWilliam Holman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Quality Improvement and Outcomes for Strokes After CABGDONALD LIKOSKY; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- UNDERSTANDING THE PATHOGENESIS OF STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUSVance Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2003..Accomplishing the aims of this proposal will contribute to improved clinical management of patients with S. aureus bacteremia, and will add to the understanding of S. aureus virulence factors. ..
- Host Susceptibility S. aureusVance G Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding the host genetic determinants of disease severity in S. aureus infections will advance our understanding of staphylococcal pathogenesis and will enable key advances in protecting the public health from this pathogen. ..