- Philosophers and physicians on the scientific validity of Latin physiognomy, 1200-1500
University of Haifa
Early Sci Med 12:285-312. 2007
..and contextualizes the main arguments among philosophers and academic physicians surrounding the status of physiognomy as a valid science from the thirteenth to the early sixteenth centuries...
- Facing faces: studies on the cognitive aspects of physiognomy
Department of Psychology, New York University, New York 10003, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 78:837-52. 2000
b>Physiognomy, the art of reading personality traits from faces, dates back to ancient Greece, and is still very popular. The present studies examine several aspects and consequences of the process of reading traits from faces...
- Prevalence of Veraguth's eyelid folds during depression in different ethnic groups
Willliam W McDaniel
Eastern Virginia Medical School, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Norfolk 23507, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:705-7. 2004
..The implications of this finding are discussed in regard to the importance of careful gathering of history for diagnostic purposes...
- Martin Porter, Windows of the soul: the art of physiognomy in European culture 1470-1780, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2005. Pp. 392. Pounds 60.00. ISBN 0199276579
University of Haifa
Soc Hist Med 20:398-400. 2007
- Individual identification of disguised faces by morphometrical matching
First Medico Legal Section, National Research Institute of Police Science, 6 3 1 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277 0882, Japan
Forensic Sci Int 127:97-103. 2002
..It was concluded that the morphometrical matching method can reliably identify disguised faces and the results produced by this method could be easily understandable by a court of law...
- [The face a mirror of the soul?]
Lakartidningen 101:3797. 2004
- Anterior dental aesthetics: facial perspective
BDS, The Ridgeway Dental Surgery, 173 The Ridgeway, North Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 7DF, United Kingdom
Br Dent J 199:15-21. 2005
..The concept of aesthetics encompasses both the time-arts such as music, theatre, literature and film, as well as space-arts such as paintings, sculpture and architecture...
- Genetic determination of head-size-related anthropometric traits in an ethnically homogeneous sample of 373 Indian pedigrees of West Bengal
Biological Anthropology Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, 203 Barrackpore Trunk Road, Kolkata 700 108, India
Hum Biol 79:501-14. 2007
..8% of the two traits' total residual variance was attributable to the effect of these common genetic factors...
- Medicine and the Renaissance world of learning
Nancy G Siraisi
Graduate Center, City University of New York, Brooklyn 11215, USA
Bull Hist Med 78:1-36. 2004
..the sixteenth century and presents some examples of the contribution of medical authors of that period to such diverse fields as natural philosophy, physiognomy, alchemy, travel writing, the art of memory, and the study of antiquities.
- Stable isotopes in ecosystem science: structure, function and dynamics of a subtropical Savanna
T W Boutton
Department of Rangeland Ecology and Management, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843 2126, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 13:1263-77. 1999
..Stable isotopes provided direct, spatially explicit evidence for dramatic changes in ecosystem physiognomy and demonstrated some functional consequences for the hydrologic cycle...
- Hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia: dental, clinical, genetic and dermatoglyphic findings of three cases
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Dental School, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Pediatr Dent 26:5-12. 2001
..by the clinical manifestations of hypodontia, hypohidrosis, hypotrichosis and a highly characteristic facial physiognomy. This disorder is inherited as an X-linked trait...
- Congenital stapes ankylosis, broad thumbs, and hyperopia: report of a family and refinement of a syndrome
Center for Human Genetics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 2526, USA
Am J Med Genet 82:404-8. 1999
..A characteristic physiognomy in our patients is present; this autosomal dominant syndrome was first described by Teunissen and Cremers [1990:..
- Sensitivity of leaf size and shape to climate within Acer rubrum and Quercus kelloggii
Dana L Royer
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT 06459, USA
New Phytol 179:808-17. 2008
Variation in the size and shape (physiognomy) of leaves has long been correlated to climate, and paleobotanists have used these correlations to reconstruct paleo-climate...
- Efficacy of the branched-chain amino acids in the treatment of tardive dyskinesia in men
Mary Ann Richardson
Division of Movement Disorders and Molecular Psychiatry, Nathan S Kine Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:1117-24. 2003
..The efficacy of the branched-chain amino acids in the treatment of tardive dyskinesia in men with psychiatric disorders was tested...
- Rembrandt--aging and sickness: a combined look by plastic surgeons, an art researcher and an internal medicine specialist
Department of Plastic Surgery, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 9:67-71. 2007
..Based on Rembrandts' aging physiognomy, from age 22 to 63, we believe that Rembrandt did not suffer from temporal arteritis, hypothyroidism, rosacea, ..
- Rheumatological management of patients with hemophilia. Part 1: joint manifestations
Rheumatology Department, Jean Bernard Hospital, BP 577, 86021 Poitiers Cedex, France
Joint Bone Spine 69:442-9. 2002
The advent of factor VIII and IX replacement therapy has radically changed the physiognomy of hemophilia...
- Oculodentodigital dysplasia: study of ophthalmological and clinical manifestations in three boys with probably autosomal recessive inheritance
Hospital São Geraldo, Department of Ophthalmology, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Mashhad, Brasil
Ophthalmic Genet 25:227-36. 2004
..There are few reports of probable autosomal recessive transmission. Affected patients exhibit a distinctive physiognomy with a narrow nose, hypoplastic alae nasi, and anteverted nostrils, bilateral microphthalmos, and microcornea...
- Physiognomy and teeth: an ethnographic study among young and middle-aged Hong Kong adults
Periodontology and Public Health, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, SAR China
Br Dent J 192:522-5. 2002
To determine knowledge and beliefs about traditional physiognomy (judging an individual's character from their facial appearance) concerning teeth among young (17-26) and middle-aged (35-44) Hong Kong adults.
- Nose muscular dynamics: the tip trigonum
E E Figallo
Clinica el Avila, Caracas, Venezuela
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:1118-26. 2001
..This study has been based on research in physiognomy, the science of expression...
- Early craniofacial signs of cleidocranial dysplasia
Department of Orthodontics, Division Craniofacial Genetics, University of Regensburg, Germany
Int J Paediatr Dent 14:49-53. 2004
..The aim of this study is to describe the initial craniofacial findings in patients with CCD in order to categorise their reliability for early detection...
- Physiognomy, familism and consumerism: preferences among Jewish-Israeli recipients of donor insemination
Department of Nursing, University of Haifa, Israel
Soc Sci Med 54:363-76. 2002
..1) By comparing recipients' own physiognomy with that of a hypothetical donor, we explore some of the social potentials of DI in its emerging democratized ..
- VEGFR-1 and VEGFR-2: two non-identical twins with a unique physiognomy
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Boston University, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Front Biosci 11:818-29. 2006
..This review highlights recent insights into the mechanism of activation of VEGFR-1 and VEGFR-2, and focuses on the signaling pathways employed by VEGFR-1 and VEGFR-2 that regulate angiogenesis...
- Migration of a Late Cretaceous fish
Scott J Carpenter
Paul H Nelson Stable Isotope Laboratory, Department of Geoscience and Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1379, USA
Nature 423:70-4. 2003
..vulpes yields a seawater temperature of 18 degrees C, which is consistent with leaf physiognomy and general-circulation-model temperature estimates for the Western Interior during the latest Maastrichtian.
- Effects of understory structure on the abundance, richness and diversity of Collembola (Arthropoda) in southern Brazil
Vera R Ribeiro-Troian
Laboratory de Ecologia de Populações e Comunidades, Department de Ecologia, Instituto de Biociencias, University Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, 91501 970
Neotrop Entomol 38:340-5. 2009
..Three areas containing two sampling units (25 mx2 m each) were selected in each forest physiognomy. Understory Collembola collection was done with a 1x1 m canvas sheet held horizontally below the vegetation, ..
- Vegetation structure in cerrado physiognomies in south-eastern Brazil
M A Batalha
Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade de Sao Paulo, C P 11 461, CEP 05422 970, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Biol 61:475-83. 2001
..Ten 40 m2 quadrats were placed randomly in each physiognomy, in which we sampled the woody plants with stem diameter equal or larger than 1 cm (woody component), and ten 2...
- [Landscape structure and ecological coupling analysis of ecotone on the west Sonnen Plain]
Northeast Institute of Geography and Agricultural Ecology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun 130012, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 14:1464-8. 2003
..With the ecotone in the west Songnen Plain as an example, and based on the studies of the topography, physiognomy, soil, vegetation, and their geographic distribution in the ecotone...
- Airway management by first responders when using a bag-valve device and two oxygen-driven resuscitators in 104 patients
G J Noordergraaf
St Elisabeth Hospital, Department of Anaesthesiology, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Eur J Anaesthesiol 21:361-6. 2004
..To evaluate the capability of first responders to ensure an airway and ventilate the lungs of a patient employing a bag-valve device and two oxygen-driven resuscitators...
- The effects of endurance and recreational exercise on subclinical evidence of atherosclerosis in young adults
Division of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Am J Med Sci 339:332-6. 2010
..This study set out to identify the effects of recreational and endurance exercise on subclinical evidence of atherosclerosis in young adults...
- An assessment of the validity of reporting by proxy to women's health questionnaire: a pilot study
Women and Children s Health Research Unit, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 138:80-2. 2008
..The quality of proxy reports provided by husbands regarding women's health, when the index case (the wife) cannot be interviewed, is controversial...
- [Application of 3S techniques in ecological landscape planning of Harbin suburb]
Northeast Forestry University, Harbin 150040, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:2291-5. 2005
..and the landscape type thematic map was generated, with land use status and landscape distribution, physiognomy, and land use types combined...
- Keutel syndrome: further characterization and review
A S Teebi
Division of Medical Genetics, The Montreal Children s Hospital and McGill University, Quebec, Canada
Am J Med Genet 78:182-7. 1998
..is a rare autosomal recessive disorder characterized by diffuse cartilage calcification, characteristic physiognomy, brachytelephalangism, peripheral pulmonary stenosis, hearing loss, and borderline to mild mental retardation...
- Convergence across biomes to a common rain-use efficiency
Travis E Huxman
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Nature 429:651-4. 2004
..and forests all exhibit the same rate of biomass production per unit rainfall, despite differences in physiognomy and site-level RUE...
- Short stature, brachydactyly, nail dysplasia, and mental retardation: further observation of the Tonoki syndrome
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Clinica Pediatrica dell Università di Catania, Italy or
Am J Med Genet 80:403-5. 1998
..The mother of the propositus has brachydactyly of thumbs and a similar physiognomy without mental retardation...
- Forced to choose: some determinants of racial identification in multiracial adolescents
Department of Sociology, University of Massachusetts Boston, USA
Child Dev 75:730-48. 2004
..Multinomial logistic regression shows further that physiognomy, ethnic identity, and race of coresident parent(s) are significantly associated with reported race...
- Quantitative analysis of cardiac lesions in chronic canine chagasic cardiomyopathy
Marcelo Vidigal Caliari
Departamento de Patologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, 31270 901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 44:273-8. 2002
..it produces rearrangements of collagen fibers in relation to myocardiocytes which causes changes in anatomical physiognomy and mechanical behavior of the myocardium...
- [Laurel and Hardy--characters with a half and whole metabolism?]
SHS Akademiska, Uppsala
Lakartidningen 104:263-4. 2007
- Psychiatry in pictures. Dementia (artist unknown, c. 1840)
Br J Psychiatry 185:A2. 2004
- The face of madness in Romania: the origin of psychiatric photography in Eastern Europe
Carol Davila University Mina Minovici National Institute of Legal Medicine, Bucharest, Romania
Hist Psychiatry 21:278-93. 2010
..Each photograph included a diagnosis based on the clinical nosography and theories of the physiognomy of insanity acknowledged during the period. The publication of the atlas--just a few years after Hugh W...
- Successful noninvasive ventilation and enzyme replacement therapy in an adult patient with morbus hunter
Department of Pneumology, Hemer Lung Clinic, Hemer, 58675, Germany
JIMD Rep 5:77-82. 2012
..weight), in a normalization of prior elevated pulmonary artery pressures and also in impressive changes in the physiognomy and joint mobility...
- The logic of physiognomony in the late Renaissance
All Souls College, Oxford
Early Sci Med 16:275-95. 2011
This article studies the advances made in the logic of Renaissance physiognomy from the state of the subject in antiquity and the Middle Ages...
- Attractiveness of own-race, other-race, and mixed-race faces
Department of Psychology, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Perception 34:319-40. 2005
..These results suggest that signs of health may be more important than prototypicality in making average faces attractive...
- Environmental signals from leaves--a physiognomic analysis of European vegetation
Institut fur Geowissenschaften, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Sigwartstrasse 10, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
New Phytol 166:465-84. 2005
..The relationships between leaf physiognomy and climate have been investigated on different continents, but so far an investigation based on European ..
- Attractiveness of blonde women in evolutionary perspective: studies with two Polish samples
Institute of Psychology, University of Wrocław, ul J Dawida 1, 50 527 Wrocław, Poland
Percept Mot Skills 106:737-44. 2008
..In a second study (the analysis of 500 Internet advertisements) mature women dyed their hair blonde more frequently. These results are analyzed with regard to the evolutionarily formed male preference for younger females...
- [Sabina przewalskii community structure in the upper reaches of Minjiang River]
Chengdu Institute of Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu 610041, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:197-202. 2005
In this paper, the physiognomy and the structure of Sabina przewalskii community were studied by sample plot method...
- Once more: is beauty in the eye of the beholder? Relative contributions of private and shared taste to judgments of facial attractiveness
Institut fur Psychologie, Technische Universitat Chemnitz, Chemnitz, Germany
J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform 32:199-209. 2006
..Important implications for scientific research strategy and laypeople's self-esteem are discussed...
- Building beauty: physiognomy on the gas-lit stage
Harvard University, Department of History and Science, Science Center 371, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Endeavour 30:84-9. 2006
..Until this illuminating moment, there had been little need for makeup and actors to adhere to the principles of physiognomy--a system that correlated character traits to facial features...
- Own- and other-race categorization of faces by race, gender, and age
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Psychon Bull Rev 15:1093-9. 2008
..Furthermore, these data suggest that determining the race of a face is not imposed as a first step in face processing, preempting the perception of other category-defining physiognomic characteristics...
- Leaf development in Xylopia aromatica (Lam) Mart. (Annonaceae): implications for palatability to Stenoma scitiorella Walker 1864 (Lepidoptera: Elachistidae)
E M Varanda
Departamento de Biologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil, 14040 901
Braz J Biol 68:831-6. 2008
..This work was carried out in the physiognomy of the typical cerrado of the Parque Estadual de Vassununga, Gleba Pé-de Gigante, Santa Rita do Passa Quatro, ..
- [A spatial heterogeneity of surface soil moisture content in dry season in Mulun National Natural Reserve in Karst area]
Tong qing Song
Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changsha 410125, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 20:98-104. 2009
..Therefore, topography, micro-physiognomy, precipitation, human disturbance, and especially vegetation were the most important factors affecting the ..
- Are individuals with an eating disorder less sensitive to aesthetic flaws than healthy controls?
Institute of Psychology, Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Psychosom Res 65:87-95. 2008
..This study aimed to investigate whether the positive evaluation of other people's bodies is due to difficulties in the recognition of flaws in attractive features of others...
- Ectoparasitic flies (Diptera, Streblidae) of bats (Chiroptera, Phyllostomidae) in an Atlantic Forest area, southeastern Brazil
D S França
Laboratório de Mastozoologia, Instituto de Biologia, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Seropedica, RJ, Brazil
Braz J Biol 73:847-54. 2013
..We observed that streblid richness in this biome depends more on inherent characteristics of each physiognomy and on the host-species than on the sampling effort.
- [Pietro d'Abano and the astrological and scientific image in Padova during the XIV century: from Giotto to Carraresi]
Giordana Mariani Canova
Dipartimento di Storia delle Arti Visive e della Musica, Facolta di Lettere e Filosofia, Universita degli Studi di Padova, I
Med Secoli 20:465-507. 2008
..An hypotetical reconstruction, according to Ptolomeus' theories and Pietro d'Abano's physiognomic, of Giotto's astrological cycle in the Sala della Ragione is also proposed...
- [Peter of Abano, the 'Conciliator' between magic and science]
Graziella Federici Vescovini
Dipartimento di Scienze dell Educazione e dei Processi Culturali e Formativi, Facoltà di Scienze della Formazione, Universita di Firenze, I
Med Secoli 20:607-40. 2008
Peter of Abano is a personage belonging to history as well as to legend. In this analysis his historical physiognomy of scientist and physician is reconstructed on the basis of a better knowledge of his works in medicine and astronomy (..
- [Preliminary discussion on the theory of body physiognomy in the Huangdineijing (Huangdi's Inner Classic)]
Jing Lin He
The China Institute for History of Medicine and Medical Literature, China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences, Beijing 100700, China
Zhonghua Yi Shi Za Zhi 39:189-92. 2009
There are so many discussions on the body physiognomy in Huangdineijing (Huangdi's Inner Classic) that include not only the description of both difference of body physiognomy and its reasons, but also the discussions on physiological and ..
- Scenarios of future climate and land-management effects on carbon stocks in northern Patagonian shrublands
Centro Nacional Patagónico, Terrestrial Ecology Research Area, B Brown 2825, 9120, Puerto Madryn, Argentina
Environ Manage 40:944-57. 2007
..3) model of terrestrial C balance. The CENTURY model was initialized with long-term field data on local biome physiognomy, seasonal phenologic trends, and prevailing land-management systems and was validated with recent sequences of ..
- [Diversity of Hemiptera Auchenorrhyncha in citrus, coffee and a fragment of native forest of the state of São Paulo]
Teresinha A Giustolin
Depto de Ciências Agrárias, UNIMONTES, Campus de Janaúba, Rua Reinaldo Viana 2630, C postal 91, Bico da Pedra, 39440 000, Janaúba, MG
Neotrop Entomol 38:834-41. 2009
..groves (Citrus sinensis), coffee plantations (Coffea arabica) and a semi-deciduous seasonal forest with shrub physiognomy in Bebedouro, SP, to evaluate the influence of the natural ecosystem on the species composition of the ..
- Diagnostic recognition of facial changes associated with chronic conditions: use of an e-learning tool to enhance medical student education
University of Dundee, UK
J Vis Commun Med 33:55-62. 2010
..At present, however, there is little data to support the incorporation of physiognomy in medical education...
- Gall's visit to The Netherlands
Radboud University of Nijmegen, Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Hist Neurosci 20:135-50. 2011
..We will summarize this material. We will first outline developments in the area of physiognomy, in particular in The Netherlands, and what the Dutch knew about Gall's doctrine prior to his arrival...
- [Spatial variability of surface soil moisture content in depression area of karst region under moist and arid conditions]
Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changsha 410125, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 17:2277-82. 2006
..The significant difference in the spatial variability and distribution pattern of surface soil moisture in test area was mainly due to the effects of physiognomy, soil mean moisture (precipitation), and topography.
- Disentangling the formation of contrasting tree-line physiognomies combining model selection and Bayesian parameterization for simulation models
UFZ Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research UFZ, Department of Ecological Modeling, Leipzig, Germany
Am Nat 177:E136-52. 2011
..Variation in tree-line physiognomy reflected mainly changes in the relative importance of these nonlinear responses, while other processes, such ..
- Diversification of existing reference phantoms in nuclear medicine: Calculation of specific absorbed fractions for 21 mathematical phantoms and validation through dose estimates resulting from the administration of (18)F-FDG
Medical Physics Department, Austrian Research Centers GmbH ARC, Seibersdorf, Austria
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 23:767-82. 2008
..In order to take the individual physiognomy of patients more into account, this study aimed to broaden the supply of phantoms and their respective SAFs...
- [Fuzzy decision system for ecological distribution of citrus in north-cultivated-marginal area]
Department of Horticulture, Anhui Agricultural University, Hefei 230036, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 14:502-6. 2003
..temperature integrated with annual precipitation, days with mean extreme low temperature below -9 degrees C, physiognomy, elevation, inland water body, cold air barrier, and soil nutrition and pH value...
- Molecular profiling of breast cancer: portraits but not physiognomy
J D Brenton
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Ontario Cancer Institute Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Breast Cancer Res 3:77-80. 2001
..Future approaches will need to include methods for high-throughput clinical validation and the ability to analyze microscopic samples...
- Sanjad-Sakati and autosomal recessive Kenny-Caffey syndromes are allelic: evidence for an ancestral founder mutation and locus refinement
G A Diaz
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Am J Med Genet 85:48-52. 1999
..characterized by congenital hypoparathyroidism, growth and mental retardation, seizures, and a characteristic physiognomy, was recently linked to chromosome area 1q42-q43...
- Identical twins discordant for Sotos syndrome
W T Brown
Department of Human Genetics, New York State Institute for Basic Research, Staten Island 11050, USA
Am J Med Genet 79:329-33. 1998
..Our finding of discordance in these identical twins suggests that a postconceptual mutation, or epigenetic change and/or an environmental factor may be involved in the cause of Sotos syndrome...
- Brain asymmetry and facial attractiveness: facial beauty is not simply in the eye of the beholder
A C Chen
Department of Psychology, UCLA 90095 1563, USA
Neuropsychologia 35:471-6. 1997
..reversal did not affect the results of Experiment 2 suggests that facial attractiveness is more dependent on physiognomy (of the owner) and less dependent on an asymmetrical perceptual process (in the observer) than is facial ..
- Williams syndrome. Report of a case
University of Oviedo, Spain
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 74:756-9. 1992
..Because persons with this syndrome have severe dental abnormalities, it is in the dental or orthodontic clinic that the disease can eventually be detected. A unique case of this type is reported...
- Development of photosynthetic biofilms affected by dissolved and sorbed copper in a eutrophic river
Department of Aquatic Ecology and Ecotoxicology, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Environ Toxicol Chem 21:1955-65. 2002
..The physiognomy of the biofilms was affected through the growth of the chain-forming diatom Melosira varians, changing from ..
- Dialysis for everybody? At any cost?
Nephrology, Dialysis and Renal Transplant Unit, Niguarda Ca Granda Hospital, Milano, Italy
J Nephrol 15:S33-42. 2002
..is referred to the tremendous increase of the expenditure and the second is related to the changes in death's physiognomy. Today death is no longer a moment, but a process whose practical outcome is the dilution (from hours to months)..
- [Determination of placement of anterior teeth in removable dental prostheses]
Klinika za stomatologiju, 21000 Novi Sad, Hajduk Veljkova 12
Med Pregl 55:490-4. 2002
..The following review takes account of the majority of papers published during the last 100 years. The review has been divided into sections regarding the method used to determine the position of artificial anterior teeth...
- Further delineation of Costello syndrome
A S Teebi
Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510
Am J Med Genet 47:166-8. 1993
..Manifestations are compared to the four previously reported sporadic cases...
- [Phylogenetic aspects of lip function]
Service de Chirurgie Maxillo Faciale et Stomatologie, Hopital Jean Minjoz, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Besancon
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 8:28-34. 2004
..Each discontinuity causes functional and anatomic disorders. Any damage to the lips creates facial unbalance. Precise knowledge of lip function is indispensable for optimal reconstruction...
- Appearing truthful generalizes across different deception situations
Mark G Frank
School of Communication, Information, and Library Studies, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 86:486-95. 2004
..This was not correlated with physiognomy judgments...
- [Community characteristics of Pinus armandi forest on Qinling Mountains]
College of Forestry, Northwest Sci Tech University of Agricultural and Forest, Yangling 712100, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 15:357-62. 2004
..There was a closely relationship between Pinus armandi forest and the temperate biome. As regards to the physiognomy of the community, phanerophyte made up 75.9% of the total, dominating the community...
- Assessing natural and anthropogenic variability in wetland structure for two hydrogeomorphic riverine wetland subclasses
Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management, Oklahoma State University, 008C Agricultural Hall, Stillwater, OK, 74078, USA
Environ Manage 52:1009-22. 2013
..We collected data for nine potential assessment variables including vegetation physiognomy (e.g., tree basal area, herbaceous cover, canopy cover, etc...
- Increased atmospheric SO₂ detected from changes in leaf physiognomy across the Triassic-Jurassic boundary interval of East Greenland
Karen L Bacon
School of Biology and Environmental Science, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin, Ireland
PLoS ONE 8:e60614. 2013
..This finding highlights that the role of SO2 in plant biodiversity declines across other major geological boundaries coinciding with global scale volcanism should be further explored using leaf physiognomy.
- Karyotyping, dermatoglyphic, and sweat pore analysis of five families affected with ectodermal dysplasia
Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, KLE VK institute of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Belgaum, Karnataka, India
J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 16:380-7. 2012
..The affected individual show characteristic physiognomy like protruded forehead, depressed nasal bridge, periorbital wrinkling, protruded lips, etc...
- Gastrointestinal nematodes of the lizard Tropidurus hispidus (Squamata: Tropiduridae) from a semi-arid region of north-eastern Brazil
L A Anjos
Departamento de Biologia e Zootecnia, Laboratório de Parasitologia e Zoologia, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista, FEIS, Passeio Monção, 226, CEP 15 385 000, Ilha Solteira, SP, Brazil
J Helminthol 87:443-9. 2013
..hispidus from an area within the Brazilian Caatinga biome (semi-arid physiognomy)...
- Computer-aided diagnosis of genodermatoses
Varol Lutfu Aksungur
Department of Dermatology, Cukurova University, School of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
J Dermatol 31:86-93. 2004
..Findings related to the skin, its appendages, mucous membranes and physiognomy were recorded in detail; but the involvements of other organs, only as headings...
- Relationship between habitat type, fire frequency, and Amblyomma americanum populations in east-central Alabama
Department of Biology, Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, AL 36265, USA
J Vector Ecol 37:373-81. 2012
..Cherokee, and Cleburne Counties in east-central Alabama areas to determine the relationship between plant physiognomy, environmental variables, and tick populations...
- [Meta-analysis on the efficacy of Epley's manoeuvre in benign paroxysmal positional vertigo]
M P Prim-Espada
Servicio de Otorrinolaringologia, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Espana
Neurologia 25:295-9. 2010
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common conditions that cause the physiognomy of peripheral vertigo.
- Spatial-temporal distribution of fire-protected savanna physiognomies in Southeastern Brazil
Marcelo H O Pinheiro
Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, Ituiutaba, MG, Brasil
An Acad Bras Cienc 82:379-95. 2010
..sensu stricto and cerradão, allowed the conduction of this study based on the hypothesis that cerradão, a physiognomy of forest aspect consisting of fire-sensitive tree and shrubs species, is favored by fire absence and higher ..
- Physiognomic homogamy: a study of parents and children
P R Kunz
Department of Sociology, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
Soc Biol 37:266-9. 1990
..001 level. There were no differences among the various forms of presentation...
- Stickler's syndrome: a study of 12 families
Department of Ophthalmology, St Gerardo Hospital, Milan, Italy
Br J Ophthalmol 71:504-9. 1987
..This study reports 12 pedigrees (10 families and two isolated cases) and evaluates some peculiar ocular aspects not previously reported in the syndrome...
- Three patients with ring (X) chromosomes and a severe phenotype
N R Dennis
Wessex Clinical Genetics Service, Princess Anne Hospital, Southampton, UK
J Med Genet 30:482-6. 1993
- The "Brown sisters": photogrammetric analysis of brow and cheek descent
Department of Plastic Surgery, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 11:470-3. 2009
..Due to the absence of accurate tools and appropriate photographic material there is a paucity of objective studies on facial aging in the modern literature...
- Personality in perspective: judgmental consistency across orientations of the face
Nicholas O Rule
Department of Psychology, Tufts University, 490 Boston Avenue, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Perception 38:1688-99. 2009
..Judgments of personality (aggressiveness, competence, dominance, likeability, and trustworthiness) and physiognomy (attractiveness and facial maturity) were significantly correlated across full-frontal, three-quarter, and ..
- [The frontal bonding of a microprosthesis with respect to arch physiognomy]
Clinica de protetică dentară, Universitatea de Medicină şi Farmacie Iaşi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 97:419-21. 1993
..By the joint efforts of the entire dental team, artificial substitutes completing the lack of dental substance were obtained and the physiognomic function, cosmetic harmony and facial esthetics were fully restored...
- ["If a woman has a big head": physiognomy and feminine nature in an Assyro-Babylonian text]
Erica Couto Ferreira
Institut Universitari d Història J Vicens i Vives, Barcelona
Asclepio 60:19-36. 2008
..On the other hand, I deal with the elements that characterize this female perception, basically, the image of the ideal woman centred on motherhood, and, in close relation to this, the dangers that threaten women's life during pregnancy...
- Appearance is a function of the face
Gregory L Borah
Division of Plastic Surgery, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1 Robert Wood Johnson Place, MEB 506, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 125:873-8. 2010
..severely deformed patients are willing to undergo potentially life-threatening surgery in search of a normal physiognomy. Scant quantitative research exists that objectively documents appearance as a primary "function" of the face...
- Age-independent osteopathology in skeletons of a South American cervid, the Patagonian huemul (Hippocamelus bisulcus)
Werner T Flueck
National Research Council CONICET, C C 176, 8400 Bariloche, Argentina
J Wildl Dis 44:636-48. 2008
..Due to the chronic nature of disease, low huemul population density, physiognomy, and spatiotemporal pattern of lesions, we discard senescence; gender; fulminating infections; congenital ..
- Fluctuations in richness and abundance of social wasps during the dry and wet seasons in three phyto-physiognomies at the tropical dry forest of Brazil
G M de M Santos
Laboratorio de Entomologia, DCBIO, Universidade Estadual de Feira de Santana, 44031 460 Feira de Santana, Bahia, Brazil
Environ Entomol 38:1613-7. 2009
..shrubby Caatinga, and agricultural systems) to analyze the effect of environmental seasonality and plant physiognomy on the richness, nest abundance, and species composition of social wasps in the region of tropical dry forest ..
- Paleotemperature proxies from leaf fossils reinterpreted in light of evolutionary history
Stefan A Little
Department of Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15161. 2010
..Although much research acknowledges and investigates possible pitfalls in paleoclimate estimation based on leaf physiognomy, the core assumption has never been explicitly tested in a phylogenetic comparative framework...
- The development of face processing skills
H D Ellis
School of Psychology, University of Wales College of Cardiff, U K
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 335:105-11. 1992
..Young children are more likely than older people to prefer positive caricatures of certain faces, which is not consistent with the view that caricature effects are simple reflections of a general expertise with faces...
- Phenotypic plasticity to light of two congeneric trees from contrasting habitats: Brazilian Atlantic Forest versus cerrado (savanna)
F de V Barros
Departamento de Botanica, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 14:208-15. 2012
..Forest is a typically multi-layer tropical forest, while cerrado (savanna) is a patchy habitat with different physiognomy. Despite these differences, both habitats have high light heterogeneity...
- Akhenaten, a unique pharaoh
François Pieter Retief
University of Free State
S Afr Med J 101:628-30. 2011
..socio-religious revolution that had vast consequences for his country, and possessed a strikingly abnormal physiognomy that was of note in his time and has interested historians up to the present era...
- Maxillofacial esthetics: anthropometrics of the maxillofacial region
M E Koury
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Parkland Memorial, Dallas, TX
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 50:806-20. 1992
..His raw data were used to develop a comprehensive set of ratios to define the esthetic face. A systematic maxillofacial evaluation derived from Farkas's data is presented, along with a brief description of its clinical application...
- Self-perceived body weight status and weight-control behaviors of high school students in a southern city of Turkey
Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cukurova, Adana, Turkey
Coll Antropol 34:1295-302. 2010
Defining "healthy weight" is not easy and for an adolescent with all concerns about newly developing physiognomy it is even harder...
- [Diagnostic pathways and pitfalls in acute thoracic aortic dissection: practical recommendations and an awareness campaign]
H H Sievers
Klinik für Herz und Thorakale Gefässchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538, Lubeck, Deutschland
Herz 36:474-9. 2011
..The reported acute chest and back pain of a tearing, stabbing nature combined with the physiognomy of Marfan syndrome often arouse the clinical suspicion of AAD, prompting immediate imaging of the thoracic ..
- Protection from livestock fails to deter shrub proliferation in a desert landscape with a history of heavy grazing
Dawn M Browning
School of Natural Resources and the Environment, University of Arizona, P O Box 210043, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Ecol Appl 21:1629-42. 2011
..suggest (1) that thresholds for grassland resistance to shrub encroachment had been crossed by the 1930s, and (2) fire management rather than grazing management may be key to maintaining grassland physiognomy in this bioclimatic region.
- Gradients in the number of species at reef-seagrass ecotones explained by gradients in abundance
Centro en Biodiversidad y Gestión Ambiental, Marine Sciences Faculty, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, Canary Islands, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e20190. 2011
..of species per number of individuals) of prosobranch gastropods in meadows of two seagrasses with different physiognomy: Posidonia and Amphibolis...