- Philosophers and physicians on the scientific validity of Latin physiognomy, 1200-1500
University of Haifa
Early Sci Med 12:285-312. 2007
..and contextualizes the main arguments among philosophers and academic physicians surrounding the status of physiognomy as a valid science from the thirteenth to the early sixteenth centuries...
- Facing faces: studies on the cognitive aspects of physiognomy
Department of Psychology, New York University, New York 10003, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 78:837-52. 2000
b>Physiognomy, the art of reading personality traits from faces, dates back to ancient Greece, and is still very popular. The present studies examine several aspects and consequences of the process of reading traits from faces...
- Prevalence of Veraguth's eyelid folds during depression in different ethnic groups
Willliam W McDaniel
Eastern Virginia Medical School, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Norfolk 23507, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 192:705-7. 2004
..The implications of this finding are discussed in regard to the importance of careful gathering of history for diagnostic purposes...
- Anterior dental aesthetics: facial perspective
BDS, The Ridgeway Dental Surgery, 173 The Ridgeway, North Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 7DF, United Kingdom
Br Dent J 199:15-21. 2005
..The concept of aesthetics encompasses both the time-arts such as music, theatre, literature and film, as well as space-arts such as paintings, sculpture and architecture...
- [The face a mirror of the soul?]
Lakartidningen 101:3797. 2004
- Attractiveness of own-race, other-race, and mixed-race faces
Department of Psychology, University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, Australia
Perception 34:319-40. 2005
..These results suggest that signs of health may be more important than prototypicality in making average faces attractive...
- Individual identification of disguised faces by morphometrical matching
First Medico Legal Section, National Research Institute of Police Science, 6 3 1 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba 277 0882, Japan
Forensic Sci Int 127:97-103. 2002
..It was concluded that the morphometrical matching method can reliably identify disguised faces and the results produced by this method could be easily understandable by a court of law...
- Once more: is beauty in the eye of the beholder? Relative contributions of private and shared taste to judgments of facial attractiveness
Institut fur Psychologie, Technische Universitat Chemnitz, Chemnitz, Germany
J Exp Psychol Hum Percept Perform 32:199-209. 2006
..Important implications for scientific research strategy and laypeople's self-esteem are discussed...
- Building beauty: physiognomy on the gas-lit stage
Harvard University, Department of History and Science, Science Center 371, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Endeavour 30:84-9. 2006
..Until this illuminating moment, there had been little need for makeup and actors to adhere to the principles of physiognomy--a system that correlated character traits to facial features...
- Martin Porter, Windows of the soul: the art of physiognomy in European culture 1470-1780, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 2005. Pp. 392. Pounds 60.00. ISBN 0199276579
University of Haifa
Soc Hist Med 20:398-400. 2007
- Attractiveness of blonde women in evolutionary perspective: studies with two Polish samples
Institute of Psychology, University of Wrocław, ul J Dawida 1, 50 527 Wrocław, Poland
Percept Mot Skills 106:737-44. 2008
..In a second study (the analysis of 500 Internet advertisements) mature women dyed their hair blonde more frequently. These results are analyzed with regard to the evolutionarily formed male preference for younger females...
- Are individuals with an eating disorder less sensitive to aesthetic flaws than healthy controls?
Institute of Psychology, Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Psychosom Res 65:87-95. 2008
..This study aimed to investigate whether the positive evaluation of other people's bodies is due to difficulties in the recognition of flaws in attractive features of others...
- Genetic determination of head-size-related anthropometric traits in an ethnically homogeneous sample of 373 Indian pedigrees of West Bengal
Biological Anthropology Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, 203 Barrackpore Trunk Road, Kolkata 700 108, India
Hum Biol 79:501-14. 2007
..8% of the two traits' total residual variance was attributable to the effect of these common genetic factors...
- Medicine and the Renaissance world of learning
Nancy G Siraisi
Graduate Center, City University of New York, Brooklyn 11215, USA
Bull Hist Med 78:1-36. 2004
..the sixteenth century and presents some examples of the contribution of medical authors of that period to such diverse fields as natural philosophy, physiognomy, alchemy, travel writing, the art of memory, and the study of antiquities.
- [Phylogenetic aspects of lip function]
Service de Chirurgie Maxillo Faciale et Stomatologie, Hopital Jean Minjoz, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Besancon
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 8:28-34. 2004
..Each discontinuity causes functional and anatomic disorders. Any damage to the lips creates facial unbalance. Precise knowledge of lip function is indispensable for optimal reconstruction...
- [Determination of placement of anterior teeth in removable dental prostheses]
Klinika za stomatologiju, 21000 Novi Sad, Hajduk Veljkova 12
Med Pregl 55:490-4. 2002
..The following review takes account of the majority of papers published during the last 100 years. The review has been divided into sections regarding the method used to determine the position of artificial anterior teeth...
- Stable isotopes in ecosystem science: structure, function and dynamics of a subtropical Savanna
T W Boutton
Department of Rangeland Ecology and Management, Texas A and M University, College Station 77843 2126, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 13:1263-77. 1999
..Stable isotopes provided direct, spatially explicit evidence for dramatic changes in ecosystem physiognomy and demonstrated some functional consequences for the hydrologic cycle...
- Hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia: dental, clinical, genetic and dermatoglyphic findings of three cases
Department of Pediatric Dentistry, Dental School, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Pediatr Dent 26:5-12. 2001
..by the clinical manifestations of hypodontia, hypohidrosis, hypotrichosis and a highly characteristic facial physiognomy. This disorder is inherited as an X-linked trait...
- [Diversity of Hemiptera Auchenorrhyncha in citrus, coffee and a fragment of native forest of the state of São Paulo]
Teresinha A Giustolin
Depto de Ciências Agrárias, UNIMONTES, Campus de Janaúba, Rua Reinaldo Viana 2630, C postal 91, Bico da Pedra, 39440 000, Janaúba, MG
Neotrop Entomol 38:834-41. 2009
..groves (Citrus sinensis), coffee plantations (Coffea arabica) and a semi-deciduous seasonal forest with shrub physiognomy in Bebedouro, SP, to evaluate the influence of the natural ecosystem on the species composition of the ..
- [Sabina przewalskii community structure in the upper reaches of Minjiang River]
Chengdu Institute of Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu 610041, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:197-202. 2005
In this paper, the physiognomy and the structure of Sabina przewalskii community were studied by sample plot method...
- Congenital stapes ankylosis, broad thumbs, and hyperopia: report of a family and refinement of a syndrome
Center for Human Genetics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 2526, USA
Am J Med Genet 82:404-8. 1999
..A characteristic physiognomy in our patients is present; this autosomal dominant syndrome was first described by Teunissen and Cremers [1990:..
- Efficacy of the branched-chain amino acids in the treatment of tardive dyskinesia in men
Mary Ann Richardson
Division of Movement Disorders and Molecular Psychiatry, Nathan S Kine Institute for Psychiatric Research, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Am J Psychiatry 160:1117-24. 2003
..The efficacy of the branched-chain amino acids in the treatment of tardive dyskinesia in men with psychiatric disorders was tested...
- Sensitivity of leaf size and shape to climate within Acer rubrum and Quercus kelloggii
Dana L Royer
Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT 06459, USA
New Phytol 179:808-17. 2008
Variation in the size and shape (physiognomy) of leaves has long been correlated to climate, and paleobotanists have used these correlations to reconstruct paleo-climate...
- Sanjad-Sakati and autosomal recessive Kenny-Caffey syndromes are allelic: evidence for an ancestral founder mutation and locus refinement
G A Diaz
Department of Pediatrics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Am J Med Genet 85:48-52. 1999
..characterized by congenital hypoparathyroidism, growth and mental retardation, seizures, and a characteristic physiognomy, was recently linked to chromosome area 1q42-q43...
- Rembrandt--aging and sickness: a combined look by plastic surgeons, an art researcher and an internal medicine specialist
Department of Plastic Surgery, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 9:67-71. 2007
..Based on Rembrandts' aging physiognomy, from age 22 to 63, we believe that Rembrandt did not suffer from temporal arteritis, hypothyroidism, rosacea, ..
- Rheumatological management of patients with hemophilia. Part 1: joint manifestations
Rheumatology Department, Jean Bernard Hospital, BP 577, 86021 Poitiers Cedex, France
Joint Bone Spine 69:442-9. 2002
The advent of factor VIII and IX replacement therapy has radically changed the physiognomy of hemophilia...
- Oculodentodigital dysplasia: study of ophthalmological and clinical manifestations in three boys with probably autosomal recessive inheritance
Hospital São Geraldo, Department of Ophthalmology, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Mashhad, Brasil
Ophthalmic Genet 25:227-36. 2004
..There are few reports of probable autosomal recessive transmission. Affected patients exhibit a distinctive physiognomy with a narrow nose, hypoplastic alae nasi, and anteverted nostrils, bilateral microphthalmos, and microcornea...
- Physiognomy and teeth: an ethnographic study among young and middle-aged Hong Kong adults
Periodontology and Public Health, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Hong Kong, SAR China
Br Dent J 192:522-5. 2002
To determine knowledge and beliefs about traditional physiognomy (judging an individual's character from their facial appearance) concerning teeth among young (17-26) and middle-aged (35-44) Hong Kong adults.
- [Community characteristics of Pinus armandi forest on Qinling Mountains]
College of Forestry, Northwest Sci Tech University of Agricultural and Forest, Yangling 712100, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 15:357-62. 2004
..There was a closely relationship between Pinus armandi forest and the temperate biome. As regards to the physiognomy of the community, phanerophyte made up 75.9% of the total, dominating the community...
- Nose muscular dynamics: the tip trigonum
E E Figallo
Clinica el Avila, Caracas, Venezuela
Plast Reconstr Surg 108:1118-26. 2001
..This study has been based on research in physiognomy, the science of expression...
- Early craniofacial signs of cleidocranial dysplasia
Department of Orthodontics, Division Craniofacial Genetics, University of Regensburg, Germany
Int J Paediatr Dent 14:49-53. 2004
..The aim of this study is to describe the initial craniofacial findings in patients with CCD in order to categorise their reliability for early detection...
- Molecular profiling of breast cancer: portraits but not physiognomy
J D Brenton
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Ontario Cancer Institute Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Breast Cancer Res 3:77-80. 2001
..Future approaches will need to include methods for high-throughput clinical validation and the ability to analyze microscopic samples...
- Leaf development in Xylopia aromatica (Lam) Mart. (Annonaceae): implications for palatability to Stenoma scitiorella Walker 1864 (Lepidoptera: Elachistidae)
E M Varanda
Departamento de Biologia, Faculdade de Filosofia, Ciencias e Letras de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil, 14040 901
Braz J Biol 68:831-6. 2008
..This work was carried out in the physiognomy of the typical cerrado of the Parque Estadual de Vassununga, Gleba Pé-de Gigante, Santa Rita do Passa Quatro, ..
- Appearing truthful generalizes across different deception situations
Mark G Frank
School of Communication, Information, and Library Studies, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 86:486-95. 2004
..This was not correlated with physiognomy judgments...
- Physiognomy, familism and consumerism: preferences among Jewish-Israeli recipients of donor insemination
Department of Nursing, University of Haifa, Israel
Soc Sci Med 54:363-76. 2002
..1) By comparing recipients' own physiognomy with that of a hypothetical donor, we explore some of the social potentials of DI in its emerging democratized ..
- Dialysis for everybody? At any cost?
Nephrology, Dialysis and Renal Transplant Unit, Niguarda Ca Granda Hospital, Milano, Italy
J Nephrol 15:S33-42. 2002
..is referred to the tremendous increase of the expenditure and the second is related to the changes in death's physiognomy. Today death is no longer a moment, but a process whose practical outcome is the dilution (from hours to months)..
- VEGFR-1 and VEGFR-2: two non-identical twins with a unique physiognomy
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Boston University, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Front Biosci 11:818-29. 2006
..This review highlights recent insights into the mechanism of activation of VEGFR-1 and VEGFR-2, and focuses on the signaling pathways employed by VEGFR-1 and VEGFR-2 that regulate angiogenesis...
- Diversification of existing reference phantoms in nuclear medicine: Calculation of specific absorbed fractions for 21 mathematical phantoms and validation through dose estimates resulting from the administration of (18)F-FDG
Medical Physics Department, Austrian Research Centers GmbH ARC, Seibersdorf, Austria
Cancer Biother Radiopharm 23:767-82. 2008
..In order to take the individual physiognomy of patients more into account, this study aimed to broaden the supply of phantoms and their respective SAFs...
- Vegetation structure in cerrado physiognomies in south-eastern Brazil
M A Batalha
Instituto de Biociencias, Universidade de Sao Paulo, C P 11 461, CEP 05422 970, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Biol 61:475-83. 2001
..Ten 40 m2 quadrats were placed randomly in each physiognomy, in which we sampled the woody plants with stem diameter equal or larger than 1 cm (woody component), and ten 2...
- Migration of a Late Cretaceous fish
Scott J Carpenter
Paul H Nelson Stable Isotope Laboratory, Department of Geoscience and Center for Global and Regional Environmental Research, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1379, USA
Nature 423:70-4. 2003
..vulpes yields a seawater temperature of 18 degrees C, which is consistent with leaf physiognomy and general-circulation-model temperature estimates for the Western Interior during the latest Maastrichtian.
- Environmental signals from leaves--a physiognomic analysis of European vegetation
Institut fur Geowissenschaften, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Sigwartstrasse 10, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
New Phytol 166:465-84. 2005
..The relationships between leaf physiognomy and climate have been investigated on different continents, but so far an investigation based on European ..
- Effects of understory structure on the abundance, richness and diversity of Collembola (Arthropoda) in southern Brazil
Vera R Ribeiro-Troian
Laboratory de Ecologia de Populações e Comunidades, Department de Ecologia, Instituto de Biociencias, University Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, 91501 970
Neotrop Entomol 38:340-5. 2009
..Three areas containing two sampling units (25 mx2 m each) were selected in each forest physiognomy. Understory Collembola collection was done with a 1x1 m canvas sheet held horizontally below the vegetation, ..
- Airway management by first responders when using a bag-valve device and two oxygen-driven resuscitators in 104 patients
G J Noordergraaf
St Elisabeth Hospital, Department of Anaesthesiology, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Eur J Anaesthesiol 21:361-6. 2004
..To evaluate the capability of first responders to ensure an airway and ventilate the lungs of a patient employing a bag-valve device and two oxygen-driven resuscitators...
- Keutel syndrome: further characterization and review
A S Teebi
Division of Medical Genetics, The Montreal Children s Hospital and McGill University, Quebec, Canada
Am J Med Genet 78:182-7. 1998
..is a rare autosomal recessive disorder characterized by diffuse cartilage calcification, characteristic physiognomy, brachytelephalangism, peripheral pulmonary stenosis, hearing loss, and borderline to mild mental retardation...
- An assessment of the validity of reporting by proxy to women's health questionnaire: a pilot study
Women and Children s Health Research Unit, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology and Health Policy Research, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 138:80-2. 2008
..The quality of proxy reports provided by husbands regarding women's health, when the index case (the wife) cannot be interviewed, is controversial...
- [Application of 3S techniques in ecological landscape planning of Harbin suburb]
Northeast Forestry University, Harbin 150040, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 16:2291-5. 2005
..and the landscape type thematic map was generated, with land use status and landscape distribution, physiognomy, and land use types combined...
- Scenarios of future climate and land-management effects on carbon stocks in northern Patagonian shrublands
Centro Nacional Patagónico, Terrestrial Ecology Research Area, B Brown 2825, 9120, Puerto Madryn, Argentina
Environ Manage 40:944-57. 2007
..3) model of terrestrial C balance. The CENTURY model was initialized with long-term field data on local biome physiognomy, seasonal phenologic trends, and prevailing land-management systems and was validated with recent sequences of ..
- The effects of endurance and recreational exercise on subclinical evidence of atherosclerosis in young adults
Division of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Am J Med Sci 339:332-6. 2010
..This study set out to identify the effects of recreational and endurance exercise on subclinical evidence of atherosclerosis in young adults...
- [Landscape structure and ecological coupling analysis of ecotone on the west Sonnen Plain]
Northeast Institute of Geography and Agricultural Ecology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changchun 130012, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 14:1464-8. 2003
..With the ecotone in the west Songnen Plain as an example, and based on the studies of the topography, physiognomy, soil, vegetation, and their geographic distribution in the ecotone...
- Development of photosynthetic biofilms affected by dissolved and sorbed copper in a eutrophic river
Department of Aquatic Ecology and Ecotoxicology, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Environ Toxicol Chem 21:1955-65. 2002
..The physiognomy of the biofilms was affected through the growth of the chain-forming diatom Melosira varians, changing from ..
- [Fuzzy decision system for ecological distribution of citrus in north-cultivated-marginal area]
Department of Horticulture, Anhui Agricultural University, Hefei 230036, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 14:502-6. 2003
..temperature integrated with annual precipitation, days with mean extreme low temperature below -9 degrees C, physiognomy, elevation, inland water body, cold air barrier, and soil nutrition and pH value...
- Short stature, brachydactyly, nail dysplasia, and mental retardation: further observation of the Tonoki syndrome
Department of Pediatric Neurology, Clinica Pediatrica dell Università di Catania, Italy or
Am J Med Genet 80:403-5. 1998
..The mother of the propositus has brachydactyly of thumbs and a similar physiognomy without mental retardation...
- [A spatial heterogeneity of surface soil moisture content in dry season in Mulun National Natural Reserve in Karst area]
Tong qing Song
Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changsha 410125, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 20:98-104. 2009
..Therefore, topography, micro-physiognomy, precipitation, human disturbance, and especially vegetation were the most important factors affecting the ..
- Diagnostic recognition of facial changes associated with chronic conditions: use of an e-learning tool to enhance medical student education
University of Dundee, UK
J Vis Commun Med 33:55-62. 2010
..At present, however, there is little data to support the incorporation of physiognomy in medical education...
- Quantitative analysis of cardiac lesions in chronic canine chagasic cardiomyopathy
Marcelo Vidigal Caliari
Departamento de Patologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, 31270 901 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 44:273-8. 2002
..it produces rearrangements of collagen fibers in relation to myocardiocytes which causes changes in anatomical physiognomy and mechanical behavior of the myocardium...
- Convergence across biomes to a common rain-use efficiency
Travis E Huxman
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Nature 429:651-4. 2004
..and forests all exhibit the same rate of biomass production per unit rainfall, despite differences in physiognomy and site-level RUE...
- Forced to choose: some determinants of racial identification in multiracial adolescents
Department of Sociology, University of Massachusetts Boston, USA
Child Dev 75:730-48. 2004
..Multinomial logistic regression shows further that physiognomy, ethnic identity, and race of coresident parent(s) are significantly associated with reported race...
- [Laurel and Hardy--characters with a half and whole metabolism?]
SHS Akademiska, Uppsala
Lakartidningen 104:263-4. 2007
- Psychiatry in pictures. Dementia (artist unknown, c. 1840)
Br J Psychiatry 185:A2. 2004
- [Spatial variability of surface soil moisture content in depression area of karst region under moist and arid conditions]
Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Changsha 410125, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 17:2277-82. 2006
..The significant difference in the spatial variability and distribution pattern of surface soil moisture in test area was mainly due to the effects of physiognomy, soil mean moisture (precipitation), and topography.
- Computer-aided diagnosis of genodermatoses
Varol Lutfu Aksungur
Department of Dermatology, Cukurova University, School of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
J Dermatol 31:86-93. 2004
..Findings related to the skin, its appendages, mucous membranes and physiognomy were recorded in detail; but the involvements of other organs, only as headings...
- Increased atmospheric SO₂ detected from changes in leaf physiognomy across the Triassic-Jurassic boundary interval of East Greenland
Karen L Bacon
School of Biology and Environmental Science, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin, Ireland
PLoS ONE 8:e60614. 2013
..This finding highlights that the role of SO2 in plant biodiversity declines across other major geological boundaries coinciding with global scale volcanism should be further explored using leaf physiognomy.
- Karyotyping, dermatoglyphic, and sweat pore analysis of five families affected with ectodermal dysplasia
Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, KLE VK institute of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Belgaum, Karnataka, India
J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 16:380-7. 2012
..The affected individual show characteristic physiognomy like protruded forehead, depressed nasal bridge, periorbital wrinkling, protruded lips, etc...
- Relationship between habitat type, fire frequency, and Amblyomma americanum populations in east-central Alabama
Department of Biology, Jacksonville State University, Jacksonville, AL 36265, USA
J Vector Ecol 37:373-81. 2012
..Cherokee, and Cleburne Counties in east-central Alabama areas to determine the relationship between plant physiognomy, environmental variables, and tick populations...
- Gastrointestinal nematodes of the lizard Tropidurus hispidus (Squamata: Tropiduridae) from a semi-arid region of north-eastern Brazil
L A Anjos
Departamento de Biologia e Zootecnia, Laboratório de Parasitologia e Zoologia, UNESP, Universidade Estadual Paulista, FEIS, Passeio Monção, 226, CEP 15 385 000, Ilha Solteira, SP, Brazil
J Helminthol 87:443-9. 2013
..hispidus from an area within the Brazilian Caatinga biome (semi-arid physiognomy)...
- Assessing natural and anthropogenic variability in wetland structure for two hydrogeomorphic riverine wetland subclasses
Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management, Oklahoma State University, 008C Agricultural Hall, Stillwater, OK, 74078, USA
Environ Manage 52:1009-22. 2013
..We collected data for nine potential assessment variables including vegetation physiognomy (e.g., tree basal area, herbaceous cover, canopy cover, etc...
- The "Brown sisters": photogrammetric analysis of brow and cheek descent
Department of Plastic Surgery, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 11:470-3. 2009
..Due to the absence of accurate tools and appropriate photographic material there is a paucity of objective studies on facial aging in the modern literature...
- ["If a woman has a big head": physiognomy and feminine nature in an Assyro-Babylonian text]
Erica Couto Ferreira
Institut Universitari d Història J Vicens i Vives, Barcelona
Asclepio 60:19-36. 2008
..On the other hand, I deal with the elements that characterize this female perception, basically, the image of the ideal woman centred on motherhood, and, in close relation to this, the dangers that threaten women's life during pregnancy...
- Asymmetrical facial expressions in portraits and hemispheric laterality: a literature review
W R Powell
Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, NC 27109, USA
Laterality 14:545-72. 2009
..This is significant, in that artists also portray more females than males with their left cheek exposed. Reasons for these psychological findings lead to explanations for the aesthetic leftward bias in portraiture...
- Making of a face: role of facial physiognomy, skin tone, and color presentation mode in evaluations of racial typicality
Elena V Stepanova
Department of Psychology, Campus Box 1125, One Brookings Drive, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
J Soc Psychol 149:66-81. 2009
..The authors manipulated facial physiognomy, skin tone, and color presentation mode (gray scale vs. color) independently...
- [Study on the determinants regarding malaria epidemics in Anhui province during 2004-26]
Li Ping Wang
National Center for Public Health Surveillance and Information Service, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing 100050, China
Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi 30:38-41. 2009
..To analyze the determinants of malaria in Anhui province during the year of 2004-2006...
- Astrology and other occult sciences in seventeenth-century New Spain
European University Institute
Cronos 9:3-32. 2006
..During the early modern period, both astrology and physiognomy were regarded as tools for self-understanding and the understanding of others by means of interpretation of ..
- [Social wasps (Hymenoptera: Vespidae) diversity in a cerrado vegetation in Bahia State, Brazil]
Gilberto M de M Santos
Laboratory de Entomologia, DCBIO, University Estadual de Feira de Santana, Feira de Santana, BA, 44031 460
Neotrop Entomol 38:317-20. 2009
..The physiognomy of 'cerrado campo sujo' showed the lowest abundance of social wasps colonies (N=61 nests) and intermediate ..
- Treatment of nasal hemangiomas
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Institute for Mother and Child Health Care of Serbia, Radoja Dakica 6 8, 11070 New Belgrade, Serbia
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 73:1402-6. 2009
..Almost 60% of these tumors develop in the head and neck region. Nasal hemangiomas, distort human physiognomy and leave long lasting psychological sequelae...
- Appearance is a function of the face
Gregory L Borah
Division of Plastic Surgery, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 1 Robert Wood Johnson Place, MEB 506, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 125:873-8. 2010
..severely deformed patients are willing to undergo potentially life-threatening surgery in search of a normal physiognomy. Scant quantitative research exists that objectively documents appearance as a primary "function" of the face...
- Fluctuations in richness and abundance of social wasps during the dry and wet seasons in three phyto-physiognomies at the tropical dry forest of Brazil
G M de M Santos
Laboratorio de Entomologia, DCBIO, Universidade Estadual de Feira de Santana, 44031 460 Feira de Santana, Bahia, Brazil
Environ Entomol 38:1613-7. 2009
..shrubby Caatinga, and agricultural systems) to analyze the effect of environmental seasonality and plant physiognomy on the richness, nest abundance, and species composition of social wasps in the region of tropical dry forest ..
- Phenotypic plasticity to light of two congeneric trees from contrasting habitats: Brazilian Atlantic Forest versus cerrado (savanna)
F de V Barros
Departamento de Botanica, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 14:208-15. 2012
..Forest is a typically multi-layer tropical forest, while cerrado (savanna) is a patchy habitat with different physiognomy. Despite these differences, both habitats have high light heterogeneity...
- Akhenaten, a unique pharaoh
François Pieter Retief
University of Free State
S Afr Med J 101:628-30. 2011
..socio-religious revolution that had vast consequences for his country, and possessed a strikingly abnormal physiognomy that was of note in his time and has interested historians up to the present era...
- [Diagnostic pathways and pitfalls in acute thoracic aortic dissection: practical recommendations and an awareness campaign]
H H Sievers
Klinik für Herz und Thorakale Gefässchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538, Lubeck, Deutschland
Herz 36:474-9. 2011
..The reported acute chest and back pain of a tearing, stabbing nature combined with the physiognomy of Marfan syndrome often arouse the clinical suspicion of AAD, prompting immediate imaging of the thoracic ..
- Protection from livestock fails to deter shrub proliferation in a desert landscape with a history of heavy grazing
Dawn M Browning
School of Natural Resources and the Environment, University of Arizona, P O Box 210043, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Ecol Appl 21:1629-42. 2011
..suggest (1) that thresholds for grassland resistance to shrub encroachment had been crossed by the 1930s, and (2) fire management rather than grazing management may be key to maintaining grassland physiognomy in this bioclimatic region.
- Gradients in the number of species at reef-seagrass ecotones explained by gradients in abundance
Centro en Biodiversidad y Gestión Ambiental, Marine Sciences Faculty, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, Canary Islands, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e20190. 2011
..of species per number of individuals) of prosobranch gastropods in meadows of two seagrasses with different physiognomy: Posidonia and Amphibolis...
- Caucasian infants scan own- and other-race faces differently
Dr Eric Jackman Institute of Child Study, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
PLoS ONE 6:e18621. 2011
..tuning of the infant's face processing system to optimally process own-race faces that are different in physiognomy from other-race faces...
- [Physiognomy-accompanying auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia: psychopathological investigation of 10 patients]
Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi 112:1185-200. 2010
..We termed these experiences physiognomy-accompanying auditory hallucinations...
- Self-perceived body weight status and weight-control behaviors of high school students in a southern city of Turkey
Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Cukurova, Adana, Turkey
Coll Antropol 34:1295-302. 2010
Defining "healthy weight" is not easy and for an adolescent with all concerns about newly developing physiognomy it is even harder...
- State of the art low-dose CT angiography of the body
Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University Hospital Zurich, Raemistr 100, 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Radiol 80:36-40. 2011
..of questions still need to be answered, including the optimal combination of tube voltage and tube current settings, as well as the appropriate protocol parameters in relation to the body physiognomy and the specific body region imaged.
- Paleotemperature proxies from leaf fossils reinterpreted in light of evolutionary history
Stefan A Little
Department of Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e15161. 2010
..Although much research acknowledges and investigates possible pitfalls in paleoclimate estimation based on leaf physiognomy, the core assumption has never been explicitly tested in a phylogenetic comparative framework...
- [Meta-analysis on the efficacy of Epley's manoeuvre in benign paroxysmal positional vertigo]
M P Prim-Espada
Servicio de Otorrinolaringologia, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Espana
Neurologia 25:295-9. 2010
Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is one of the most common conditions that cause the physiognomy of peripheral vertigo.
- Spatial-temporal distribution of fire-protected savanna physiognomies in Southeastern Brazil
Marcelo H O Pinheiro
Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, Ituiutaba, MG, Brasil
An Acad Bras Cienc 82:379-95. 2010
..sensu stricto and cerradão, allowed the conduction of this study based on the hypothesis that cerradão, a physiognomy of forest aspect consisting of fire-sensitive tree and shrubs species, is favored by fire absence and higher ..
- Personality in perspective: judgmental consistency across orientations of the face
Nicholas O Rule
Department of Psychology, Tufts University, 490 Boston Avenue, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Perception 38:1688-99. 2009
..Judgments of personality (aggressiveness, competence, dominance, likeability, and trustworthiness) and physiognomy (attractiveness and facial maturity) were significantly correlated across full-frontal, three-quarter, and ..
- The development of face processing skills
H D Ellis
School of Psychology, University of Wales College of Cardiff, U K
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 335:105-11. 1992
..Young children are more likely than older people to prefer positive caricatures of certain faces, which is not consistent with the view that caricature effects are simple reflections of a general expertise with faces...
- Predicting elections: child's play!
Faculty of Business and Economics, University of Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Science 323:1183. 2009
..Naïve adults judged a pair on competence; after playing a game, children chose who they would prefer to be captain of their boat. Children's (as well as adults') preferences accurately predicted actual election outcomes...
- Lekking displays in contemporary organizations: ethologically oriented, evolutionary and cross-species accounts of male dominance
Faculty of Medicine, Centre for Clinical Governance Research, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
J Health Organ Manag 22:529-59. 2008
..The purpose of this paper is to draw on scientific models in conceptualising the evolutionary bases of contemporary behaviours, and make cross-species comparisons, to account for male managerial activities in situ in health organizations...
- A large family with patent ductus arteriosus and unusual face
H R Davidson
Duncan Guthrie Institute of Medical Genetics, Yorkhill, Glasgow, UK
J Med Genet 30:503-5. 1993
..The segregation pattern suggests autosomal dominant inheritance with incomplete penetrance with respect to the PDA. The facial features included a broad, high forehead, flat profile, and short nose with a broad, flattened tip...
- Physical mapping of microdeletions of the chromosome 17 short arm associated with Smith-Magenis syndrome
INSERM U 242 BP 24, Marseille, France
Hum Genet 90:657-60. 1993
..The possibility that an unstable region, located between the Smith-Magenis syndrome locus and CMT1A a closely located locus, could be involved in the rearrangements associated with these two inherited diseases is discussed...
- Phrenology in the science and culture of the 19th century
S H Greenblatt
Brown University Program in Neurosurgery, Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island, Pawtucket, USA
Neurosurgery 37:790-804; discussion 804-5. 1995
In the last decade of the 18th century, Franz Joseph Gall of Vienna invented a combination of physiognomy and brain localization that he originally called "craniology" (the science of the head) and later called "organology" (the science ..
- Face facts: a history of physiognomy from ancient Mesopotamia to the end of the 19th century
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
J Biocommun 24:2-7. 1997
..The practice of reading the face dates back as early as the paleobabylonian period in Mesopotamia. It wasn't until much later, however, that this ancient tradition was named...
- South American palaeobotany and the origins of neotropical rainforests
Robyn J Burnham
Museum of Paleontology, 1109 Geddes Road, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1079, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 359:1595-610. 2004
..By contrast, North American sites provide evidence that rainforest leaf physiognomy was established early in the Palaeocene...
- Floristic, frequency, and vegetation life-form spectra of a cerrado site
M A Batalha
Departamento de Botanica, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas e da Saude, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, C P 676, CEP 13565 905, Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil
Braz J Biol 64:203-9. 2004
..The vegetation spectrum is preferable when working at smaller scales and wanting a quantitative description of the physiognomy. The frequency spectrum is not recommended at all.
- Computer-assisted facial image identification system using a 3-D physiognomic range finder
First Medico Legal Section, National Research Institute of Police Science, 6 3 1, Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
Forensic Sci Int 109:225-37. 2000
..For evaluating the fit between the anthropometrical points on the 3-D and 2-D facial images, the reciprocal point-to-point difference between both images is compared...
- The physiognomist's kidney in the fifteenth century
Department of General History, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
J Nephrol 17:600-4. 2004
b>Physiognomy, the art of deciphering a person's character and potential behavior by his or her external appearance, is an ancient body of knowledge which was gradually revived in the Latin West in the twelfth and particularly in the ..
- Facial reconstruction of a wrapped Egyptian mummy using MDCT
Struttura Operativa Complessa di Radiodiagnostica, Presidi Ospedalieri Riuniiti, Azienda Sanitaria Locale 19, Asti, Regione Piemonte, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 183:755-8. 2004
..of MDCT examination for 3D facial reconstruction and report the results of multidisciplinary work performed by radiologists, anthropologists, and forensic police in reconstructing the possible physiognomy of an ancient Egyptian mummy.