Genomes and Genes
Summary: Incorporation of biotinyl groups into molecules.
Publications287 found, 100 shown here
- A minimal peptide substrate in biotin holoenzyme synthetase-catalyzed biotinylationD Beckett
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore 21250, USA
Protein Sci 8:921-9. 1999..of naturally biotinylated substrates are highly conserved across evolutionary boundaries, and cross-species biotinylation has been demonstrated in several systems...
- Efficient biotinylation and single-step purification of tagged transcription factors in mammalian cells and transgenic miceErnie de Boer
Department of Cell Biology, Erasmus Medical Center, P.O. Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:7480-5. 2003..b>Biotinylation is an attractive approach for protein complex purification due to the very high affinity of avidin/..
- Profiling the outer membrane proteome during growth and development of the social bacterium Myxococcus xanthus by selective biotinylation and analyses of outer membrane vesiclesJörg Kahnt
Department of Ecophysiology, Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology, Karl von Frisch Str, Marburg, Germany
J Proteome Res 9:5197-208. 2010..First, outer membrane proteins were enriched by biotinylation of intact cells using the reagent NHS (N-hydroxysuccinimide)-PEO(12) (polyethylene oxide)-biotin with ..
- Proteins exposed at the adult schistosome surface revealed by biotinylationSimon Braschi
Department of Biology, University of York, York YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Proteomics 5:347-56. 2006..We labeled the most exposed surface proteins using two impermeant biotinylation reagents that differed only in length...
- Use of in vivo biotinylation to study protein-protein and protein-DNA interactions in mouse embryonic stem cellsJonghwan Kim
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatric Oncology, Children s Hospital and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Protoc 4:506-17. 2009..In dissecting the pluripotent state in mouse embryonic stem (mES) cells, we have used in vivo biotinylation of critical transcription factors for affinity purification of protein complexes and chromatin ..
- Synapse-associated protein 97 selectively associates with a subset of AMPA receptors early in their biosynthetic pathwayN Sans
Laboratory of Neurochemistry, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 8027, USA
J Neurosci 21:7506-16. 2001..We also show that internalization of GluR1, as triggered by NMDAR activation, does not require SAP97. These results implicate GluR1-SAP97 interactions in mechanisms underlying AMPA receptor targeting...
- Biotin deficiency affects the proliferation of human embryonic palatal mesenchymal cells in cultureRyusuke Takechi
Department of Dietary Environment Analysis, School of Human Science and Environment, Himeji Institute of Technology, University of Hyogo, Himeji, Japan
J Nutr 138:680-4. 2008..This suppressed proliferation of mesenchymal cells may delay or inhibit the growth of palatal processes in embryos and thus it may partially contribute to the mechanisms for cleft palate induction...
- Identification of protein targets of 4-hydroxynonenal using click chemistry for ex vivo biotinylation of azido and alkynyl derivativesAndrew Vila
Department of Biochemistry, Vanderbilt Institute of Chemical Biology, Center in Molecular Toxicology, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 21:432-44. 2008..Both strategies yielded efficient biotinylation of tagged HNE-protein conjugates, but click chemistry was found to be superior for the recovery of ..
- A plasmid expression system for quantitative in vivo biotinylation of thioredoxin fusion proteins in Escherichia coliP A Smith
Genetics Institute Inc, 87 Cambridge Park Drive, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 26:1414-20. 1998..However, in vitro chemical techniques for protein biotinylation are not always successful, with some common problems being a lack of reaction specificity, inactivation of ..
- Tandem affinity purification of protein complexes in mouse embryonic stem cells using in vivo biotinylationJianlong Wang
Children s Hospital and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Stem Cell Institute, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Protoc Stem Cell Biol . 2009In dissecting the pluripotent state in mouse embryonic stem (ES) cells, we have employed in vivo biotinylation of critical transcription factors for streptavidin affinity purification of protein complexes and constructed a protein-..
- Rab11 supports amphetamine-stimulated norepinephrine transporter traffickingHeinrich J G Matthies
Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
J Neurosci 30:7863-77. 2010..Our data demonstrate that AMPH leads to an increase of NET in endosomes of single boutons and varicosities in a Rab11-dependent manner...
- An azido-biotin reagent for use in the isolation of protein adducts of lipid-derived electrophiles by streptavidin catch and photoreleaseHye Young H Kim
Department of Chemistry, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37235, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:2080-9. 2009..Protein catch and photorelease shows that both HSA and ApoA1 in human plasma undergo significant modification by aHNE...
- Polycomb purification by in vivo biotinylation tagging reveals cohesin and Trithorax group proteins as interaction partnersGero Strübbe
Department of Biosystems Science and Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Mattenstrasse 26, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:5572-7. 2011..the dynamic aspects underlying PcG composition and function we have established an inducible version of the biotinylation tagging approach to purify Polycomb and associated factors from Drosophila embryos...
- Detection of protein-protein interactions using nonimmune IgG and BirA-mediated biotinylationCai Huang
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Biotechniques 49:881-6. 2010..Since this method does not require specific antibodies and is inexpensive, sensitive, and reliable, it should be useful for detecting protein-protein interactions in cells...
- In vivo site-specific biotinylation of proteins within the secretory pathway using a single vector systemAndrea Predonzani
Molecular Immunology Group, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, Padriciano 99, 34012 Trieste, Italy
BMC Biotechnol 8:41. 2008..Site-specific biotinylation of proteins in vivo can be achieved by co-expressing in mammalian cells the protein of interest fused to a 15 ..
- Interaction of tau with the neural membrane cortex is regulated by phosphorylation at sites that are modified in paired helical filamentsT Maas
Department of Neurobiology, Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Neurowissenschaften IZN, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 364, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Biol Chem 275:15733-40. 2000....
- Imaging proteins in live mammalian cells with biotin ligase and monovalent streptavidinMark Howarth
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Protoc 3:534-45. 2008..Site-specific biotinylation and streptavidin staining take only a few minutes, while expression of BirA takes 4 d and expression of ..
- Subcellular localization of transporters along the rat blood-brain barrier and blood-cerebral-spinal fluid barrier by in vivo biotinylationL M Roberts
XenoPort, Inc, 3410 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95051, USA
Neuroscience 155:423-38. 2008..We employed in vivo perfusion of biotinylation reagent through rat brain microvessels to domain-specifically label proteins exposed on the microvessel ..
- Protein displacement by an assembly of helicase molecules aligned along single-stranded DNAAlicia K Byrd
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
Nat Struct Mol Biol 11:531-8. 2004..Such a bias leads to protein-protein interactions when the lead monomer stalls owing to the presence of the streptavidin block...
- Biotinylation reagents for the study of cell surface proteinsGiuliano Elia
Mass Spectrometry Resource, Conway Institute of Biomolecular and Biomedical Research, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Proteomics 8:4012-24. 2008..This review will examine the biotin-avidin technology for the study of cell surface proteins, discussing reagents and techniques as well as examples of applications in quantitative proteomics...
- Direct labeling of RNA with multiple biotins allows sensitive expression profiling of acute leukemia class predictor genesKyle Cole
Affymetrix Inc, 3380 Central Expressway, Santa Clara, CA 95051, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 32:e86. 2004..These results indicate that the detection sensitivity, simplicity (single tube reaction) and speed (2 h) of this direct labeling protocol may be ideal for diagnostic applications that do not require target amplification...
- Biotinylation is a natural, albeit rare, modification of human histonesToshinobu Kuroishi
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68583 0806, USA
Mol Genet Metab 104:537-45. 2011..Recently, a team of investigators failed to detect biotinylated histones and proposed that biotinylation is not a natural modification of histones, but rather an assay artifact...
- Feeding Drosophila a biotin-deficient diet for multiple generations increases stress resistance and lifespan and alters gene expression and histone biotinylation patternsErin M Smith
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583 0806, USA
J Nutr 137:2006-12. 2007..e. biotinylation of histones...
- Colorimetric silver detection of DNA microarraysI Alexandre
Laboratoire de Biochimie Cellulaire, Facultes Universitaires Notre Dame de la Paix, 61 rue de Bruxelles, Namur, 5000, Belgium
Anal Biochem 295:1-8. 2001..The detection limit of both methods was equivalent and corresponds to 1 amol of biotinylated DNA attached on an array. Scanning and data analysis of the array were obtained with a colorimetric-based workstation...
- Exploring minimal biotinylation conditions for biosensor analysis using capture chipsGiuseppe Papalia
Center for Biomolecular Interaction Analysis, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Anal Biochem 403:30-5. 2010Using Biacore's new regenerateable streptavidin capture (CAP) sensor chips, we investigated a number of biotinylation conditions for target ligands...
- In vivo biotinylation of the vasculature in B-cell lymphoma identifies BST-2 as a target for antibody-based therapyChristoph Schliemann
Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Blood 115:736-44. 2010..Here, we describe the results of a chemical proteomic study, based on the in vivo biotinylation of vascular proteins in lymphoma-bearing mice followed by mass spectrometric and bioinformatic analysis, to ..
- Efficient and rapid labeling of transplanted cell populations with superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles using cell surface chemical biotinylation for in vivo monitoring by MRIPo Wah So
Preclinical Imaging Unit, Institute of Psychiatry, King s College London, London, UK
Cell Transplant 19:419-29. 2010..No significant detrimental effects on cell viability or death were observed following cell biotinylation. SPIO-labeled cells exhibited signal loss compared to non-SPIO-labeled cells by MRI in vitro...
- Identification of new accessible tumor antigens in human colon cancer by ex vivo protein biotinylation and comparative mass spectrometry analysisPaolo Conrotto
Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Int J Cancer 123:2856-64. 2008....
- A generic tool for biotinylation of tagged proteins in transgenic miceSiska Driegen
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Transgenic Res 14:477-82. 2005..Therefore, this mouse can be crossed to any transgenic mouse to obtain efficient biotinylation of an Avi-tagged protein for the purpose of protein (complex) purification.
- A novel method for monitoring surface membrane trafficking on hippocampal acute slice preparationJudith Thomas-Crusells
Program for Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Viikki Biocenter, FIN 00014, Helsinki, Finland
J Neurosci Methods 125:159-66. 2003..Here, we present a method for cell surface protein biotinylation in the acute hippocampal slice, the most commonly used preparation for electrophysiological recordings...
- Recombinant addition of N-glycosylation sites to the basolateral Na,K-ATPase beta1 subunit results in its clustering in caveolae and apical sorting in HGT-1 cellsOlga Vagin
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
J Biol Chem 280:43159-67. 2005....
- Trigeminal-reticular connections: possible pathways for nociception-induced cardiovascular reflex responses in the ratM J Esser
Dalhousie University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
J Comp Neurol 391:526-44. 1998....
- Evaluation of two novel tag-based labelling technologies for site-specific modification of proteinsAline Tirat
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Discovery Technologies, CH-4056 Basel, Switzerland
Int J Biol Macromol 39:66-76. 2006..Secondly, we tested in vivo and in vitro site-directed biotinylation with two different tags, consisting of either 15 (AviTag) or 72 amino acids (BioEase tag), which serve as a ..
- Analysis of apolipoprotein E nuclear localization using green fluorescent protein and biotinylation approachesWoojin S Kim
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, Randwick, NSW 2031, Australia
Biochem J 409:701-9. 2008..All three apoE isoforms were equally detected in the nucleus. These studies provide new evidence that apoE may be targeted to the nucleus and shed light on factors that regulate this process...
- Promiscuous protein biotinylation by Escherichia coli biotin protein ligaseEunjoo Choi-Rhee
Departments of Microbiology and Biochemistry, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Protein Sci 13:3043-50. 2004..The wild type BirA protein is much less active in these reactions. The biotinylation reaction is proximity-dependent in that a greater extent of biotinylation was seen when the mutant ligase was ..
- K8 and K12 are biotinylated in human histone H4Gabriela Camporeale
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68583-0806, USA
Eur J Biochem 271:2257-63. 2004..g. acetylation, methylation, and biotinylation. We sought to identify amino-acid residues that are biotinylated in histone H4, and to determine whether ..
- A unique biotin carboxyl carrier protein in archaeon Sulfolobus tokodaiiYan-qiu Li
Department of Biochemical Engineering and Science, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Kawazu 680-4, Iizuka 820-8502, Japan
FEBS Lett 580:1536-40. 2006..BCCP becomes an active substrate for carboxylation and carboxyl transfer, after biotinylation of its canonical lysine residue by biotin protein ligase (BPL)...
- Drosophila melanogaster holocarboxylase synthetase is a chromosomal protein required for normal histone biotinylation, gene transcription patterns, lifespan, and heat toleranceGabriela Camporeale
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583 0806, USA
J Nutr 136:2735-42. 2006..Histone biotinylation has been implicated in heterochromatin structures, DNA repair, and mitotic chromosome condensation...
- Assessment of survival of aging erythrocyte in circulation and attendant changes in size and CD147 expression by a novel two step biotinylation methodSanjay Khandelwal
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110067, India
Exp Gerontol 41:855-61. 2006..6mg) resulted in the labeling of erythrocytes released in blood circulation after the first biotinylation step, with a lower intensity of biotin...
- Metabolic biotinylation of lentiviral pseudotypes for scalable paramagnetic microparticle-dependent manipulationDarren Nesbeth
Department of Haematological and Molecular Medicine, Guy's, King's and St Thomas' School of Medicine, The Rayne Institute, King's College London, 123 Coldharbour Lane, London SE5 9NU, UK
Mol Ther 13:814-22. 2006..This new cell line has the potential for widespread application to envelope pseudotypes compatible with lentiviral vector production...
- A monovalent streptavidin with a single femtomolar biotin binding siteMark Howarth
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Methods 3:267-73. 2006..Monovalent streptavidin should find general application in biomolecule labeling, single-particle tracking and nanotechnology...
- Reversible biotinylation phosphoramidite for 5'-end-labeling, phosphorylation, and affinity purification of synthetic oligonucleotidesShiyue Fang
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Bioconjug Chem 14:80-5. 2003A fluoride/amine-cleavable phosphoramidite designed for biotinylation, phosphorylation, and affinity purification of synthetic oligonucleotides was synthesized and coupled efficiently to the 5'-end of DNA on a solid-phase automatic ..
- Lysine residues in N-terminal and C-terminal regions of human histone H2A are targets for biotinylation by biotinidaseYap Ching Chew
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 68583-0806, USA
J Nutr Biochem 17:225-33. 2006..The primary aim of this study was to identify biotinylation sites in histone H2A and its variant H2AX...
- Fluoride-cleavable biotinylation phosphoramidite for 5'-end-labeling and affinity purification of synthetic oligonucleotidesShiyue Fang
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 31:708-15. 2003A fluoride-cleavable phosphoramidite for biotinylation was designed, synthesized and coupled efficiently to the 5'-end of DNA on an automatic synthesizer...
- K12-biotinylated histone H4 marks heterochromatin in human lymphoblastoma cellsGabriela Camporeale
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68583 0806, USA
J Nutr Biochem 18:760-8. 2007..Recently, we reported a novel modification of histones: biotinylation of lysine residues...
- Ubiquitination and endocytosis of cell adhesion molecule DM-GRASP regulate its cell surface presence and affect its role for axon navigationKarsten Thelen
Department of Developmental Neurobiology, University of Heidelberg, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Biol Chem 283:32792-801. 2008..Together, our data show that ubiquitination and endocytosis of DM-GRASP in concert regulate its cell surface concentration, which is crucial for its function in axon navigation...
- Bacteriophage lambda surface display of a bacterial biotin acceptor domain reveals the minimal peptide size required for biotinylationJ Stolz
Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Lehrstuhl Botanik II, Erlangen, Germany
FEBS Lett 440:213-7. 1998..displayed on bacteriophage lambda heads to determine the minimal sequence length that is necessary to effect biotinylation in vivo...
- The role of histone H4 biotinylation in the structure of nucleosomesNina A Filenko
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e16299. 2011..It has been shown that biotinylation of histone H4 at lysine-12 in histone H4 (K12Bio-H4) is associated with repression of a number of genes...
- Biotinylation of histones represses transposable elements in human and mouse cells and cell lines and in Drosophila melanogasterYap Ching Chew
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583, USA
J Nutr 138:2316-22. 2008..Collectively, this study reveals a novel diet-dependent epigenetic mechanism that could affect cancer risk...
- Comparison of the backbone dynamics of the apo- and holo-carboxy-terminal domain of the biotin carboxyl carrier subunit of Escherichia coli acetyl-CoA carboxylaseX Yao
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 21250, USA
Protein Sci 8:307-17. 1999..structures provided evidence for small, localized conformational changes in the biotin-binding region upon biotinylation of the protein. These structural changes may be important for regulating specific protein-protein interactions...
- Imaging activity-dependent regulation of neurexin-neuroligin interactions using trans-synaptic enzymatic biotinylationAmar Thyagarajan
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 02139, USA
Cell 143:456-69. 2010..of intercellular contacts (BLINC), a method for imaging protein interactions based on interaction-dependent biotinylation of a peptide by E...
- In vivo enzymatic protein biotinylationA Chapman-Smith
Department of Biochemistry, The University of Adelaide, SA, Australia
Biomol Eng 16:119-25. 1999..b>Biotinylation is a relatively rare modification, with between one and five biotinylated protein species found in different ..
- Covalent modification of an exposed surface turn alters the global conformation of the biotin carrier domain of Escherichia coli acetyl-CoA carboxylaseA Chapman-Smith
Department of Biochemistry, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
J Biol Chem 272:26017-22. 1997..These data indicate that a conformational change accompanies biotinylation of the biotin domain...
- Cutting edge: detection of antigen-specific CD4+ T cells by HLA-DR1 oligomers is dependent on the T cell activation stateT O Cameron
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J Immunol 166:741-5. 2001..T cells of identical specificity but in different activation states varied greatly in their ability to be detected by class II MHC oligomers...
- Prokaryotic BirA ligase biotinylates K4, K9, K18 and K23 in histone H3Keyna Kobza
Departments of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Lincoln, NE, USA
BMB Rep 41:310-5. 2008..This study tested the hypothesis that BirA ligase catalyzes the biotinylation of eukaryotic histones...
- Repression of transposable elements by histone biotinylationJanos Zempleni
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68583, USA
J Nutr 139:2389-92. 2009..Here, we review recent findings that biotinylation of lysine-12 in histone H4 (H4K12bio) is an epigenetic mechanism to repress long terminal repeat (LTR) ..
- K12-biotinylated histone H4 is enriched in telomeric repeats from human lung IMR-90 fibroblastsSubhashinee S K Wijeratne
Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Lincoln, NE 68583 0806, USA
J Nutr Biochem 21:310-6. 2010Covalent modifications of histones play a role in regulating telomere attrition and cellular senescence. Biotinylation of lysine (K) residues in histones, mediated by holocarboxylase synthetase (HCS), is a novel diet-dependent mechanism ..
- Protein biotinylation visualized by a complex structure of biotin protein ligase with a substrateBagautdin Bagautdinov
RIKEN SPring 8 Center, Harima Institute, Sayo gun, Hyogo, Japan
J Biol Chem 283:14739-50. 2008Biotin protein ligase (BPL) catalyzes the biotinylation of the biotin carboxyl carrier protein (BCCP) only at a special lysine residue. Here we report the first structure of BPL...
- Hypoxia activates the capacity of tumor-associated carbonic anhydrase IX to acidify extracellular pHEliska Svastova
Centre of Molecular Medicine, Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 845 05 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
FEBS Lett 577:439-45. 2004..Our findings suggest that hypoxia regulates both expression and activity of CA IX in order to enhance the extracellular acidification, which may have important implications for tumor progression...
- Monte Carlo simulation of the assembly of bis-biotinylated DNA and streptavidinJan Richter
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, 2036 Main Mall, Vancouver V6T 1Z1, Canada
Chemphyschem 4:79-83. 2003..This behaviour coincides with the occurrence of an immobile band previously observed in electrophoretic experiments, indicating the formation of extremely large DNA-STV aggregate networks...
- Versatile protein biotinylation strategies for potential high-throughput proteomicsRina Y P Lue
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, 3 Science Drive 3, Singapore 117543, Republic of Singapore
J Am Chem Soc 126:1055-62. 2004We present intein-mediated approaches for efficient biotinylation of proteins site-specifically...
- Multiple lipid compartments slow vesicle contents release in lipases and serumCecile Boyer
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
ACS Nano 1:176-82. 2007..The vesosome is a better mimic of eukaryotic cell structure and demonstrates the benefits of multiple internal bilayer-enclosed compartments...
- Improving the intein-mediated, site-specific protein biotinylation strategies both in vitro and in vivoLay-Pheng Tan
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, 3 Science Drive 3, Singapore 117543, Singapore
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 14:6067-70. 2004..We previously developed intein-mediated strategies for protein biotinylation and site-specific protein microarray generation...
- Metabolic biotinylation as a probe of supramolecular structure of the triad junction in skeletal muscleNancy M Lorenzon
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Anatomy Section, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
J Biol Chem 279:44057-64. 2004..These results indicate that avidin has access to a number of sites of the DHPR within fully assembled (RyR1-containing) junctions, but not to the alpha1S C-terminal, which appears to be occluded by the presence of RyR1...
- Specific labeling of cell surface proteins with chemically diverse compoundsNathalie George
Institute of Chemical Sciences and Engineering, , CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Am Chem Soc 126:8896-7. 2004..The specificity and versatility of the labeling should allow it to become an important tool for studying and manipulating cell surface proteins and for complementing existing approaches in cell surface engineering...
- Site-specific, enzymatic biotinylation of recombinant proteins in Spodoptera frugiperda cells using biotin acceptor peptidesS Duffy
ABL Basic Research Program, NCI Frederick Cancer Research and Development Center, Frederick, Maryland, 21702 1201, USA
Anal Biochem 262:122-8. 1998Site-specific, enzymatic biotinylation of recombinant proteins can be exploited to circumvent many problems associated with the use of biotinylating reagents in vitro and to overcome some of their inherent limitations...
- Rab proteins regulate epithelial sodium channel activity in colonic epithelial HT-29 cellsSunil Saxena
Center for Cell and Molecular Biology, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ 07030, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 337:1219-23. 2005..b>Biotinylation studies revealed that modulation of ENaC function is due to the reduced apical expression of channel proteins...
- Semiconductor nanocrystal probes for human metaphase chromosomesYan Xiao
GeoCenters, Inc. and DNA Technologies Group, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8311, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 32:e28. 2004..Thus, semiconductor nanocrystal fluorophores offer a more stable and quantitative mode of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) for research and clinical applications...
- Biotinylated tags for recovery and characterization of ribonucleoprotein complexesLuiz O F Penalva
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Biotechniques 37:604, 606, 608-10. 2004..Using this approach we efficiently recovered and quantified RNAs bound to cytoplasmic poly(A)-binding protein (PABP) and to nuclear human transformer 2 (hTra-2) with minimal background...
- The use of biotin tagging in Saccharomyces cerevisiae improves the sensitivity of chromatin immunoprecipitationFolkert J van Werven
Department of Physiological Chemistry, Division of Biomedical Genetics, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Universiteitsweg 100, 3584 CG Utrecht, The Netherlands
Nucleic Acids Res 34:e33. 2006..We describe a highly efficient system for in vivo biotinylation of transcription factors in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is based on the bacterial BirA biotin ..
- Identification of outer membrane proteins of Yersinia pestis through biotinylationSophie J Smither
Dstl, Porton Down, Room 201 Bldg 7a, Salisbury, Wilts, SP4 OJQ, UK
J Microbiol Methods 68:26-31. 2007..Tagged proteins were visualised through streptavidin probing of Western blots. Seven biotinylated proteins of Y. pestis were identified including two porins and the putative virulence factor catalase peroxidase...
- Rapid detection of leukemia-associated translocation fusion genes using a novel combined RT-PCR and flow cytometric methodQ-Y Zhang
Department of Pathology, Experimental Pathology Laboratory, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, NM, USA
Leukemia 16:144-9. 2002..Results from cell line and patient sample evaluations indicate that this method may be easily incorporated into the diagnostic molecular laboratory as a rapid and cost-effective alternative to currently employed techniques...
- Mutational analysis of protein substrate presentation in the post-translational attachment of biotin to biotin domainsS W Polyak
Department of Biochemistry, University of Adelaide, South Australia 5005, Australia
J Biol Chem 276:3037-45. 2001b>Biotinylation in vivo is an extremely selective post-translational event where the enzyme biotin protein ligase (BPL) catalyzes the covalent attachment of biotin to one specific and conserved lysine residue of biotin-dependent enzymes...
- Metabolic biotinylation provides a unique platform for the purification and targeting of multiple AAV vector serotypesGregory S Arnold
Gene Therapy Center, Columbus Children's Research Institute, Columbus Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH 43205, USA
Mol Ther 14:97-106. 2006....
- Biotinylation and characterization of Cryptococcus neoformans cell surface proteinsA J Foster
Life and Health Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham, UK
J Appl Microbiol 103:390-9. 2007To develop a novel procedure for isolating and characterizing cryptococcal cell-surface proteins using biotinylation, fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC)-streptavidin, flow cytometry and associated ligand-receptor analysis, confocal ..
- Biotinylation sites of tumor necrosis factor-alpha determined by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometryF Magni
Mass Spectrometry Laboratory, IRCCS S. Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Anal Biochem 298:181-8. 2001..prepared by reaction with d-biotinyl-6-aminocaproic acid N-hydroxysuccinimide ester and identified the biotinylation sites by trypsin digestion, reverse-phase chromatography, and electrospray mass spectrometry analyses...
- Codon optimization of the BirA enzyme gene leads to higher expression and an improved efficiency of biotinylation of target proteins in mammalian cellsUndine Mechold
CNRS UPR 9079, , , , 7 rue Guy Moquet, Bat B, Villejuif 94800, France
J Biotechnol 116:245-9. 2005b>Biotinylation of proteins is an attractive alternative to 'epitope-tagging', due to the strong biotin-(strept)avidin interaction and to the wide commercial availability of reagents for detection and purification of biotinylated ..
- Site-specific labeling of cell surface proteins with biophysical probes using biotin ligaseIrwin Chen
Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Ave, Room 18 496, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Methods 2:99-104. 2005..Both fluorescein and a benzophenone photoaffinity probe are incorporated, with total labeling times as short as 20 min...
- Functionalization of covalent DNA-streptavidin conjugates by means of biotinylated modulator componentsC M Niemeyer
Universitat Bremen, FB 2 UFT, Biotechnology and Molecular Genetics, Leobener Strasse, D 28359 Bremen, Germany
Bioconjug Chem 10:708-19. 1999..The applicability of this kind of bioconjugation strategy to generate sensor-probes for gene detection assays was demonstrated...
- One-step biotinylation procedure for carbohydrates to study carbohydrate-protein interactionsChristian H Grün
Department of Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology, Vrije Universiteit Medical Center, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anal Biochem 354:54-63. 2006..To study these interactions, we developed a simple and fast procedure for the biotinylation of carbohydrates based on reductive amination...
- The early onset dystonia protein torsinA interacts with kinesin light chain 1Christoph Kamm
Molecular Neurogenetics Unit, Departments of Neurology and Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Neuroscience Program, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Biol Chem 279:19882-92. 2004..These studies suggest that wild-type torsinA undergoes anterograde transport along microtubules mediated by kinesin and may act as a molecular chaperone regulating kinesin activity and/or cargo binding...
- A splice variant of the human luteinizing hormone (LH) receptor modulates the expression of wild-type human LH receptorKazuto Nakamura
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Gunma University, Gunma 371 8511, Japan
Mol Endocrinol 18:1461-70. 2004..In this study, we demonstrated that hLHR is capable of forming receptor complexes. Our findings may expand the possibility of a splice variant of hLHR specifically modulating the functional property of the wild-type hLHR...
- An extended tyrosine-targeting motif for endocytosis and recycling of the dense-core vesicle membrane protein phogrinChristina Wasmeier
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, 4200 East 9th Avenue, Box B140, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Traffic 6:474-87. 2005..Pulse-chase radiolabeling and cell surface biotinylation experiments in the pituitary corticotroph cell line AtT20 showed that the mature 60/65 kDa form that resides ..
- Nogo-A, -B, and -C are found on the cell surface and interact together in many different cell typesDana A Dodd
Brain Research Institute, University of Zurich and Department of Biology, ETH Zurich, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 280:12494-502. 2005..Nogo-A, -B, and -C share a 180-amino acid C-terminal domain with two highly conserved hydrophobic stretches that could form a channel or transporter in the ER and/or on the cell surface...
- Molecular analysis of a store-operated and 2-acetyl-sn-glycerol-sensitive non-selective cation channel. Heteromeric assembly of TRPC1-TRPC3Xibao Liu
Secretory Physiology Section, Gene Therapy and Therapeutics Branch, NIDCR, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Biol Chem 280:21600-6. 2005..Thus selective association between TRPCs generate distinct store-operated channels. Diversity of store-operated channels might be related to the physiology of the different cell types...
- Nuclear targeting of protein phosphatase-1 by HIV-1 Tat proteinTatyana Ammosova
Center for Sickle Cell Disease, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
J Biol Chem 280:36364-71. 2005..Our results suggest that Tat might function as a nuclear regulator of PP1 and that interaction of Tat with PP1 is critical for activation of HIV-1 transcription by Tat...
- Targeting of the dual oxidase 2 N-terminal region to the plasma membraneStanislas Morand
Unité 486 INSERM, Université Paris 11, Faculte de Pharmacie, 5 Rue Jean Baptiste Clement, 92296 Chatenay Malabry, France
J Biol Chem 279:30244-51. 2004..Further characterization using surface biotinylation and flow cytometry assays indicated that pig Duox2-Q686X was present at the plasma membrane, whereas human ..
- Conformationally sensitive residues in extracellular loop 5 of the Na+/dicarboxylate co-transporterAna M Pajor
Department of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0645, USA
J Biol Chem 280:18728-35. 2005..Conformational changes in the protein affect the accessibility of the residues in extracellular loop 5 and provide further evidence of large-scale changes in the structure of NaDC-1 during the transport cycle...
- The H,K-ATPase beta subunit as a model to study the role of N-glycosylation in membrane trafficking and apical sortingOlga Vagin
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Biol Chem 279:39026-34. 2004..fluorescent protein, was analyzed in polarized LLC-PK1 cells by confocal microscopy and surface-specific biotinylation. Deletion of the N-glycosylation sites at N1, N3, N5, and N7 but not at N2, N4, and N6 significantly slowed ..
- Trafficking defects of a novel autosomal recessive distal renal tubular acidosis mutant (S773P) of the human kidney anion exchanger (kAE1)Saranya Kittanakom
Canadian Institutes of Health Research Group in Membrane Biology, Departments of Biochemistry and Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:40960-71. 2004..Hetero-oligomers of wild-type kAE1 with recessive kAE1 S773P or G701D, in contrast to the dominant kAE1 R589H mutant, were delivered to the plasma membrane...
- Identification and functional characterization of ankyrin-repeat family protein ANKRA as a protein interacting with BKCa channelHyun Ho Lim
Department of Life Science, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, Gwangju 500 712, Korea
Mol Biol Cell 16:1013-25. 2005..These results indicate that ANKRA could modulate the excitability of neurons by binding directly to endogenous BKCa channel and altering its gating kinetics in a calcium-dependent manner...
- A specific endoplasmic reticulum export signal drives transport of stem cell factor (Kitl) to the cell surfaceFrédérique Paulhe
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Centre Medical Universitaire, 1 rue Michel Servet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 279:55545-55. 2004..It is responsible for the capture of Kitl at coat protein complex II-coated ER exit sites, leading to subsequent cell surface transport under physiological conditions...
- Functional analysis of altered reduced folate carrier sequence changes identified in osteosarcomasWayne F Flintoff
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Western Ontario, Dental Sciences Bldg, Dock 15, London, Canada N6A 5C1
Biochim Biophys Acta 1690:110-7. 2004..Confocal microscopy and cell surface biotinylation indicated that all altered proteins were properly localized at the cell membrane...
- Expression of the vacuolar H+-ATPase 16-kDa subunit results in the Triton X-100-insoluble aggregation of beta1 integrin and reduction of its cell surface expressionIntaek Lee
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30605, USA
J Biol Chem 279:53007-14. 2004..These results indicate that 16K expression inhibits beta(1) integrin surface expression and spreading on matrix by a novel mechanism that results in reduced levels of functional beta(1) integrin...
- Evidence that L1AD3, an apoptosis-inducing cyclic peptide, binds a leukemic T-cell membrane protein receptorCharles A Smith
Department of Medicinal and Biological Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, The University of Toledo, 2801 W Bancroft, Wolfe Hall, Toledo, OH 43606, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 432:88-101. 2004..Finally, crosslinking of cyclic BTNL1AD3 peptide to a leukemic T-cell membrane surface receptor, as examined using a biotin-avidin blot, indicated a molecular weight of approximately 34,400...
- In vivo biotinylation of the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II/peptide complex by coexpression of BirA enzyme for the generation of MHC class II/tetramersJunbao Yang
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, MO 63110-1093, USA
Hum Immunol 65:692-9. 2004..in generation of major histocompatibility complex (MHC) tetramer relies on application of a key technique, biotinylation of MHC molecule specifically on a single lysine residue using the BirA enzyme...
- Effects of controlled fibronectin surface orientation on subsequent Staphylococcus epidermidis adhesionR A Jarvis
Center for Biomaterials, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CN 06030, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 75:41-55. 2005..In addition, adhesion of SE to these model substrata can be controlled by the orientation of the protein...
- Tissue transglutaminase has intrinsic kinase activity: identification of transglutaminase 2 as an insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 kinaseSuresh Mishra
Department of Physiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg R3E 0W3, Canada
J Biol Chem 279:23863-8. 2004..Furthermore, we provide evidence that TG2 is a major component of the IGFBP-3 kinase activity present on breast cancer cell membranes...
- Ectodomain shedding and intramembrane cleavage of mammalian Notch proteins is not regulated through oligomerizationMarc Vooijs
Department of Molecular Biology and Pharmacology, Division of Dermatology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 279:50864-73. 2004..Our results indicate that ligand-induced reversal of controlled TMD dimerization by the Notch extracellular domain is unlikely to underlie the regulatory mechanism of intramembranous cleavage...
- H-Ras dynamically interacts with recycling endosomes in CHO-K1 cells: involvement of Rab5 and Rab11 in the trafficking of H-Ras to this pericentriolar endocytic compartmentGuillermo Alberto Gomez
, CIQUIBIC (UNC-CONICET, , , , , Argentina
J Biol Chem 280:34997-5010. 2005..These results suggest that H-Ras present in membranes of the recycling endosome might be activating signal cascades essential for the dynamic and function of the organelle...
- Interaction with protocadherin-gamma regulates the cell surface expression of protocadherin-alphaYoji Murata
KOKORO Biology Group, Laboratories for Integrated Biology, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University, 1-3 Yamadaoka, Suita, 565-0871, Japan
J Biol Chem 279:49508-16. 2004..Thus, interactions between CNR/Pcdhalpha and Pcdhgamma regulate their surface expression and contribute to the combinatorial diversity of cell recognition proteins in the brain...
- FIBRONECTIN RECEPTOR IN CANDIDA TROPICALISMARGARET HOSTETTER; Fiscal Year: 2003..tropicalis on the FN molecule. In Specific Aim Three, we will use surface biotinylation and immunoprecipitation to characterize other surface proteins in C...
- Novel Approaches to Access GPIs and GPI-Anchored Proteins for the Study of GPI AnZhongwu Guo; Fiscal Year: 2010..and all nascent proteins destined for GPI anchorage, their reaction with biotinylated GPIs will result in the biotinylation of all GPI-anchored proteins...
- CELL BIOLOGY OF ION PUMPS SORTING AND FUNCTIONMichael Caplan; Fiscal Year: 2000..polarized epithelial cells, the fate of chimeric molecules determined by immunoflorescence and surface biotinylation. Individual residues in each subdomain of the TM4 necessary for a proper sorting of each molecule will then be ..
- 5-HT transporter function: Interaction of antidepressants and hormonesAlan Frazer; Fiscal Year: 2010..hormonal effects, experiments are planned to study the plasma membrane distribution of the SERT using biotinylation studies;to examine the role of specific ER subtypes;and to study possible involvement of brain-derived ..
- Tumor exosomes as agents of genetic changeXandra Breakefield; Fiscal Year: 2009..The advantage of this biotinylation approach is that it allows the imaging of brain tumors with different modalities including Magnetic Resonance (..
- Endothelial BK Channel Regulation by Caveolae TargetingHon Chi Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..B) Surface biotinylation of BK channels in BAEC to determine whether BK channel activation involves the trafficking of BK channels from ..
- Endothelial BK Channel Regulation by Caveolae TargetingHon Chi Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007..B) Surface biotinylation of BK channels in BAEC to determine whether BK channel activation involves the trafficking of BK channels from ..
- Role of Myosin VI in CFTR Endocytosis in the IntestineNadia Ameen; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will employ cell biological approaches including surface biotinylation, Western Blotting, immunofluorescece and immunoelectron microscopic localization in all animal and cell ..
- SODIUM ENTRY INTO AMILORIDE-SENSITIVE EPITHELIACatherine M Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, we will employ surface biotinylation, surface chemiluminescence, co-immunoprecipitation analysis, and macromolecular assembly assays, to verify ..
- Retinyl Ester Binding Proteins and the Visual CycleRobert Rando; Fiscal Year: 2007..Specific affinity biotinylation methods, which proved to be successful in the identification of mRPE65 as a tRE binding protein, will be ..
- Relative Roles of HSP70 and HSP25 in the Modulation of Renal InjuryRajasree Sreedharan; Fiscal Year: 2007..abundance on the kinetics of restitution of cellular polarity will be explored using immunohistochemistry and biotinylation studies to track movement of displaced NaK ATPase following injury and during recovery...
- Ca2+ Waves in Hepatocytes: Mechanisms and EffectsMichael H Nathanson; Fiscal Year: 2010..of targeting and insertion of native transporters will be assessed in hepatocytes using immunoblot and biotinylation, and targeting and insertion of fluorescently tagged transporters will be assessed in liver cell lines using ..
- Stress, Depression, Serotonin, and Plasticity of Excitatory TransmissionSCOTT M contact THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..such as transfection with constitutively active and dominant negative constructs, western blotting, and biotinylation assays, to investigate the actions of 5-HT1B receptors in hippocampal slices taken from control animals and ..
- Membrane Proteins of S. mansoni as Vaccine CandidatesDonald Harn; Fiscal Year: 2002..a glucose transporter protein (SGTP4) that was definitely demonstrated by immunolocalization and surface biotinylation to be exposed at the host/parasite interface in the worm tegument...
- INTESTINAL M CELLS: INTERACTION WITH ENTERIC PATHOGENSMARIAN NEUTRA; Fiscal Year: 2000..Epithelial isolation, cell surface biotinylation, and Western blot overlay methods will be applied to identify the glycosylated or non-glycosylated M cell ..
- DESENSITIZATION AND DOWN REGULATION OF CALCIUM RECEPTORSDolores Shoback; Fiscal Year: 2002..responses after treating cells with agonists and by quantifying internalization of CaRs using a surface biotinylation assay...
- Physiologic membrane traffic regulation: intestinal CFTRNadia Ameen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Functional biochemical techniques such biotinylation/immunoprecipitation will complement morphologic studied to investigate a role for membrane traffic...
- STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF MEMBRANE TRANSPORT PROTEINSDaniel Levy; Fiscal Year: 2003..and functional expression of mEH on the hepatocyte cell surface will be investigated using antibody and biotinylation reagents, confocal fluorescence microscopy, glycosylation site insertion technology, co- immunoprecipitation, ..
- BLOOD/BRAIN BARRIER DRUG DELIVERY OF BDNF IN ISCHEMIAWilliam Pardridge; Fiscal Year: 2002..of the OX26 MAb and streptavidin (SA) is prepared in parallel with the carboxyl-directed pegylation and mono-biotinylation of recombinant human BDNF...
- Junctional exocytosis and breakdown of the intestinal barrier in inflammationANDREI IVANOVICH IVANOV; Fiscal Year: 2010..Vesicle fusion machinery will be analyzed by a combination of biochemical (biotinylation, immunoprecipitation, affinity chromatography), immunocytochemical and genetic (siRNA knock-down of SNARE ..
- Biotin sensing and chromatin remodeling by holocarboxylase synthetaseJanos Zempleni; Fiscal Year: 2010..synthetase (HCS) mediates the binding of biotin to histones (DNA-binding proteins) H2A, H3, and H4, and that biotinylation of histones causes gene repression...
- Biotin sensing and chromatin remodeling by holocarboxylase synthetaseJanos Zempleni; Fiscal Year: 2009..synthetase (HCS) mediates the binding of biotin to histones (DNA-binding proteins) H2A, H3, and H4, and that biotinylation of histones causes gene repression...
- Melatonin Regulation of MT2 Melatonin ReceptorsMATTHEW GERDIN; Fiscal Year: 2003..negatives of G protein receptor kinases (GRK), arrestins, and dynamin, confocal microscopic and cell surface biotinylation experiments will examine the process of CHO-MT2 receptor internalization...