- Upper airway patency during ventilation with a new airway device-the glossopalatinal tube
Department of Anaesthesiology, Universitaetsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Resuscitation 59:203-9. 2003
..The study was to test the efficacy and the ease of application of the GPT in anaesthetised patients. It was compared with a conventional face mask with and without an oropharyngeal (OP) airway...
- [Anesthetic management of patients with tracheal bronchus]
Division of Anesthesia, National Hospital Organization, Hokkaido Cancer Center, Sapporo, Japan
Masui 57:152-7. 2008
..Therefore, the airway must be assessed carefully by fiberoptic bronchoscopy prior to unilateral lung surgery, keeping in mind the possibility of a tracheal bronchus, in order to design a safe way to secure it safely during the surgery...
- Early clinical experience with a new videolaryngoscope (GlideScope) in 728 patients
Richard M Cooper
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Toronto General Hospital, 200 Elizabeth Street, 3 EN 421, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
Can J Anaesth 52:191-8. 2005
..To evaluate a new videolaryngoscope and assess its ability to provide laryngeal exposure and facilitate intubation...
- The GlideScope Video Laryngoscope: randomized clinical trial in 200 patients
D A Sun
Department of Anesthesia, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Br J Anaesth 94:381-4. 2005
..It has potential advantages over standard direct laryngoscopy for difficult intubations...
- Pulmonary toxicity of single-wall carbon nanotubes in mice 7 and 90 days after intratracheal instillation
Chiu wing Lam
Space and Life Sciences, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas 77058, USA
Toxicol Sci 77:126-34. 2004
- Impact of humidification systems on ventilator-associated pneumonia: a randomized multicenter trial
Medical Unit, Henri Mondor Hospital, , France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1276-82. 2005
- The Airtraq as a rescue airway device following failed direct laryngoscopy: a case series
C H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia, Clinical Sciences Institute, National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Sciences, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Anaesthesia 62:598-601. 2007
..In contrast, with the Airtraq device, each patient's trachea was successfully intubated on the first attempt. This report underlines the utility of the Airtraq device in these patients...
- Preoxygenation in critically ill patients requiring emergency tracheal intubation
Thomas C Mort
Surgical ICU, Hartford Hospital, Anesthesiology Surgery, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, USA
Crit Care Med 33:2672-5. 2005
..Preoxygenation efforts as described in this clinical trial appear to be marginally effective in regard to providing a reasonable safeguard against hypoxemia during laryngoscopy and endotracheal intubation...
- Where's the tube? Evaluation of hand-held ultrasound in confirming endotracheal tube placement
Department of Anesthesia, Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Prehosp Disaster Med 19:366-9. 2004
..Thoracic sonography, previously utilized to detect pneumothoraces, has not been tested to assess ETT placement...
- Difficult Airway Society guidelines for management of the unanticipated difficult intubation
J J Henderson
Anaesthetic Department, Gartnavel General Hospital, 1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 0YN, UK
Anaesthesia 59:675-94. 2004
..Disclaimer: It is not intended that these guidelines should constitute a minimum standard of practice, nor are they to be regarded as a substitute for good clinical judgement...
- Impact of unplanned extubation and reintubation after weaning on nosocomial pneumonia risk in the intensive care unit: a prospective multicenter study
Arnaud de Lassence
Medical ICU, Avicenne Hospital, Bobigny, France
Anesthesiology 97:148-56. 2002
- Guidelines for emergency tracheal intubation immediately after traumatic injury
C Michael Dunham
St Elizabeth Health Center, Youngstown, Ohio 44501-1790, USA
J Trauma 55:162-79. 2003
- Evaluation of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes in patients at increased risk for difficult tracheal intubation
C H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
Anaesthesia 63:182-8. 2008
..4 (0.8) vs 7.7 (3.0)). Tracheal intubation with the Airtraq also reduced the degree of haemodynamic stimulation and minor trauma compared to the Macintosh laryngoscope...
- Prehospital rapid sequence induction by emergency physicians: is it safe?
C A Mackay
Helicopter Emergency Medical Service, Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel
Emerg Med J 18:20-4. 2001
..To determine if there were differences in practice or intubation mishap rate between anaesthetists and accident and emergency physicians performing rapid sequence induction of anaesthesia (RSI) in the prehospital setting...
- Prehospital tracheal intubation in severely injured patients: a Danish observational study
Erika Frischknecht Christensen
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital of Aarhus, Aarhus 8000, Denmark
BMJ 327:533-4. 2003
- A comparison of tracheal intubation using the Airtraq or the Macintosh laryngoscope in routine airway management: A randomised, controlled clinical trial
C H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Anaesthesia 61:1093-9. 2006
..Tracheal intubation with the Airtraq resulted in less alterations in heart rate. These findings demonstrate the utility of the Airtraq laryngoscope for tracheal intubation in low risk patients...
- Predicting difficult intubation--worthwhile exercise or pointless ritual?
S M Yentis
Anaesthesia 57:105-9. 2002
- The out-of-hospital esophageal and endobronchial intubations performed by emergency physicians
Department of Anesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care Medicine, Georg August University, Goettingen, Germany
Anesth Analg 104:619-23. 2007
..Rapid establishment of a patent airway in ill or injured patients is a priority for prehospital rescue personnel. Out-of-hospital tracheal intubation can be challenging. Unrecognized esophageal intubation is a clinical disaster...
- Energy balance in the intubated human airway is an indicator of optimal gas conditioning
Stuart N Ryan
Fisher and Paykel Healthcare, Panmure, Auckland, New Zealand
Crit Care Med 30:355-61. 2002
..CONCLUSIONS: Inspired gas at body temperature and saturated is thermodynamically neutral to the intubated airway, and thus may be considered the optimal condition for ventilation lasting more than a few hours...
- A prospective, randomized comparison of an in-line heat moisture exchange filter and heated wire humidifiers: rates of ventilator-associated early-onset (community-acquired) or late-onset (hospital-acquired) pneumonia and incidence of endotracheal tube oc
O C Kirton
Department of Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine, and the Ryder Trauma Center, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Fla 33101, USA
Chest 112:1055-9. 1997
..Englewood, Colo) in the mechanical ventilator circuit on the incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) and the rate of endotracheal tube occlusion...
- A randomized study assessing the systematic search for maxillary sinusitis in nasotracheally mechanically ventilated patients. Influence of nosocomial maxillary sinusitis on the occurrence of ventilator-associated pneumonia
Service de Réanimation et Service de Bactériologie, Centre Hospitalier, Bourg en Bresse and Département de Biostastistique et Informatique Médicale, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 159:695-701. 1999
..The effect on mortality should be confirmed...
- Intubating conditions and hemodynamic effects of etomidate for rapid sequence intubation in the emergency department: an observational cohort study
Peter J Zed
Clinical Service Unit, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Acad Emerg Med 13:378-83. 2006
..To describe and analyze the intubating conditions and hemodynamic effects of etomidate in patients undergoing rapid sequence intubation (RSI) in the emergency department...
- VEGF is upregulated by hypoxia-induced mitogenic factor via the PI-3K/Akt-NF-kappaB signaling pathway
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Respir Res 7:37. 2006
..In this study, we investigated the mechanisms which HIMF enhances expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in lung tissues and epithelial cells...
- Esophageal intubation with indirect clinical tests during emergency tracheal intubation: a report on patient morbidity
Thomas C Mort
Department of Anesthesiology, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT 06102, USA
J Clin Anesth 17:255-62. 2005
..To determine the consequences of esophageal intubation (EI) when using standard indirect clinical tests to detect endotracheal tube (ETT) placement in the emergency setting outside the operating room (OR)...
- Management of benign stenoses of the large airways in the university hospital in Prague, Czech Republic, in 1998-2003
Pulmonary Department of the 1st Medical Faculty, Charles University, Katerinska 19, Prague 2, 120 00 Czech Republic
Respiration 72:622-8. 2005
..Clinically significant benign stenoses of the large airways develop in about 1% of patients after intubation. The management of benign stenoses is not unified around the world, nor are there any accepted methods for their screening...
- Evaluation of the Airway Scope, a new video laryngoscope, in tracheal intubation by naive operators: a manikin study
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Yokohama City University, School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:1378-81. 2007
..The Airway Scope (AWS) is a new video laryngoscope. The purpose of this study was to compare the AWS and Macintosh laryngoscopes with regard to their usefulness for beginners in tracheal intubation...
- Learning and performance of tracheal intubation by novice personnel: a comparison of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscope
C H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia, University College Hospital Galway, Ireland
Anaesthesia 61:671-7. 2006
..The Airtraq device showed a rapid learning curve and the students found it significantly easier to use. The Airtraq appears to be a superior device for novice personnel to acquire the skills of tracheal intubation...
- Prognostic factors in laryngotracheal injury following intubation and/or tracheotomy in ICU patients
ENT Department, Hospital General de Catalunya, Cugat del Vallés, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:880-3. 2005
..Consequently, it is essential to establish a time limit to perform tracheotomy in ICU patients. Such timing should be adapted to each patient and pathology...
- [Field 5. Safety practices procedures for mechanical ventilation. French-speaking Society of Intensive Care. French Society of Anesthesia and Resuscitation]
Service de réanimation médicale et groupe de recherche sur le handicap ventilatoire, UPRES EA 3830 IFRMP 23, UFR de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Hopital Charles Nicolle, CHU Hôpitaux de Rouen, Rouen Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:e77-89. 2008
..The main objective of safety practices described in this chapter is to prevent or avoid the main risks due to invasive mechanical ventilation...
- Acute functional enhancement of circulatory neutrophils after intratracheal instillation with diesel exhaust particles in rats
Laboratory of Toxicology, Hatano Research Institute, Food and Drug Safety Center, Kanagawa, Japan
Inhal Toxicol 17:671-9. 2005
..These results suggest that IT instillation of DEP enhances systemic oxidative stress by increasing neutrophil count and ORP in the acute period...
- Should EMS-paramedics perform paediatric tracheal intubation in the field?
Bastiaan M Gerritse
Department of Anaesthesiology, Amphia Hospital, Postbus 90158, 4800 RK Breda, The Netherlands
Resuscitation 79:225-9. 2008
..To determine the incidence and success rate of out-of-hospital tracheal intubation (TI) and ventilation of children, taking account of the type of healthcare provider involved...
- Tracheal stenosis aftertracheostomy or intubation: review with special regard to cause and management
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Akdeniz University Medical School, Antalya, Turkey
Tex Heart Inst J 32:154-8. 2005
..Management of infraglottic stenosis is difficult, particularly when there is a large laryngeal defect or when there have been previous surgical attempts at the same site...
- Identification of endotracheal tube malpositions using computerized analysis of breath sounds via electronic stethoscopes
Christopher J O'Connor
Department of Anesthesiology, Rush Medical College at Rush University Medical Center, 1653 W Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Anesth Analg 101:735-9. 2005
- Intravenous injection of methylprednisolone reduces the incidence of postextubation stridor in intensive care unit patients
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan
Crit Care Med 34:1345-50. 2006
..Treatment with a single or multiple injections of methylprednisolone can effectively reduce the occurrence of postextubation stridor...
- Airway management in adults after cervical spine trauma
Edward T Crosby
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Anesthesiology 104:1293-318. 2006
..There are no outcome data that would support a recommendation for a particular practice option for airway management; a number of options seem appropriate and acceptable...
- Management of post-intubation tracheal stenoses using the endoscopic approach
Unit of Respiratory Endoscopy and Laser Therapy, Spedali Civili of Brescia, Italy
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 67:73-80. 2007
..Over 600 post-intubation tracheal stenoses have been treated in our centre since 1982: the aim of this study was to determine the safety and efficacy of our endoscopic approach...
- Endotracheal intubation in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a comparison of macintosh and airtraq laryngoscopes
Chrisen H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Anesthesiology 107:53-9. 2007
..The authors compared ease of intubation with the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes in patients with cervical spine immobilization in a randomized, controlled clinical trial...
- Risk factors for adult laryngotracheal stenosis: a review of 74 cases
Dept of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Temple University School of Medicine, 3400 N Broad St, Kresge West 102, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 116:206-10. 2007
..We sought to identify risk factors for and review our experience in the management of adult acquired laryngotracheal stenosis (LTS) at an academic urban medical center...
- Endotracheal tube cuff pressure in intensive care unit: the need for pressure monitoring
Intensive Care Med 33:917-8. 2007
- Effects of open endotracheal suction on lung volume in infants receiving HFOV
D G Tingay
Department of Neonatology, Royal Children s Hospital, Flemington Rd, 3052, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Intensive Care Med 33:689-93. 2007
..To describe the pattern and magnitude of lung volume change during open endotracheal tube (ETT) suction in infants receiving high-frequency oscillatory ventilation (HFOV)...
- Proper insertion depth of endotracheal tubes in adults by topographic landmarks measurements
Department of Anesthesia, The Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon 58100, Israel
J Clin Anesth 19:15-9. 2007
..To evaluate a new method of endotracheal tube (ETT) positioning relative to carina, based on external topographic landmarks...
- Risk factors for extubation failure in patients following a successful spontaneous breathing trial
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Universitario de Getafe, Carretera de Toledo Km 12, 500, 28905 Getafe, Madrid, Spain
Chest 130:1664-71. 2006
..To assess the factors associated with reintubation in patients who had successfully passed a spontaneous breathing trial...
- Endotracheal intracuff pressures in the ED and prehospital setting: is there a problem?
James E Svenson
Section of Emergency Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Am J Emerg Med 25:53-6. 2007
..The time spent in these settings may be long enough for pressure-induced tracheal mucosal injury to occur. The purpose of this study is to assess cuff pressures in intubated patients before aeromedical transport...
- Incidence and predictors of difficult and impossible mask ventilation
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103, USA
Anesthesiology 105:885-91. 2006
..Mask ventilation is an essential element of airway management that has rarely been studied as the primary outcome. The authors sought to determine the incidence and predictors of difficult and impossible mask ventilation...
- Prehospital emergency endotracheal intubation using the Bonfils intubation fiberscope
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine and Pain Therapy, J W Goethe University Medical School, Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Emerg Med 14:43-6. 2007
..The Bonfils intubation fiberscope therefore demonstrated its value as an additional airway management device in both emergency and prehospital settings...
- Benefits and risks of success or failure of noninvasive ventilation
, AP-HP, , 51 Av du Mal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94000, , France
Intensive Care Med 32:1756-65. 2006
..CONCLUSION: The effect of NIV differs between de novo and CPE-AOC patients because NIV failure is associated with increased mortality for de novo patients. This finding should raise a note of caution when applying NIV in this indication...
- An in vitro study of the compliance of paediatric tracheal tube cuffs and tracheal wall pressure
Department of Neonatology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Anaesthesia 61:978-83. 2006
- Paramedic versus emergency physician emergency medical service: role of the anaesthesiologist and the European versus the Anglo-American concept
Department of Anaesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care Medicine, Georg August University, Goettingen, Germany
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 21:222-7. 2008
- End tidal carbon dioxide monitoring in prehospital and retrieval medicine: a review
M J Donald
Accident and Emergency Department, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD19SY UK
Emerg Med J 23:728-30. 2006
..The units now available are compact and rugged, with extended battery operating times, which are ideally suited for prehospital use and should be considered as an essential item for advanced airway management...
- Prehospital airway management: a prospective evaluation of anaesthesia trained emergency physicians
Department of Anesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care and Medicine, Georg August University of Goettingen, Germany
Resuscitation 70:179-85. 2006
..To determine the characteristics of prehospital tracheal intubation and the incidence of difficult-to-manage airways in out-of-hospital patients managed by emergency medicine physicians with anaesthesia training...
- Estimating the population incidence of adult post-intubation laryngotracheal stenosis
S A R Nouraei
Clin Otolaryngol 32:411-2. 2007
- Early and late failure of noninvasive ventilation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with acute exacerbation
Respiratory Diseases, Department of Clinical Methodology and Medical Surgical Technologies, University of Bari, Bari
Eur J Clin Invest 35:404-9. 2005
- The impact of prehospital endotracheal intubation on outcome in moderate to severe traumatic brain injury
Daniel P Davis
Department of Emergency Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 92103 8676, USA
J Trauma 58:933-9. 2005
..Although early intubation to prevent the mortality that accompanies hypoxia is considered the standard of care for severe traumatic brain injury (TBI), the efficacy of this approach remains unproven...
- The effect of extubation failure on outcome in a multidisciplinary Australian intensive care unit
John R Gowardman
Intensive Care Unit, The Canberra Hospital, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Crit Care Resusc 8:328-33. 2006
..A reported association between extubation failure (EF) and increased hospital length of stay and mortality led us to assess outcome of EF in an Australian intensive care unit...
- Effects of steroids on reintubation and post-extubation stridor in adults: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, University Saint Eloi Hospital, France
Crit Care 13:R49. 2009
..The efficacy of steroid administration before planned tracheal extubation in critical care patients remains controversial with respect to the selection of patients most likely to benefit from this treatment...
- Airway intubation in a helicopter cabin: video vs. direct laryngoscopy in manikins
Telehealth Research Institute, University of Hawaii, John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 80:820-3. 2009
..An alternative method is video laryngoscopy (VID) that displays magnified images of the glottic opening on a video monitor and allows intubation despite nonstandard positioning...
- Predicting difficult intubation in apparently normal patients: a meta-analysis of bedside screening test performance
Department of Anesthesia, Nippon Medical School Chiba Hokusoh Hospital, Kamagari, Chiba, Japan
Anesthesiology 103:429-37. 2005
..Combinations of tests add some incremental diagnostic value in comparison to the value of each test alone. The clinical value of bedside screening tests for predicting difficult intubation remains limited...
- The Thai Anesthesia Incident Monitoring Study (Thai AIMS) of endobronchial intubation: an analysis of 1996 incident reports
Department of Anesthesiology, Charoenkrung Pracharak Hospital, Bangkok 10120, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:1854-60. 2008
..To analyze the clinical course, outcomes, contributing factor, corrective and preventive strategies of accidental endobroncheal intubation (EBI) in the Thai Anesthesia Incident Monitoring Study (Thai AIMS)...
- A chart of failure risk for noninvasive ventilation in patients with COPD exacerbation
S C Pneumologia, Ospedale di Cattinara, Strada di Fiume, 447, I 34100 Trieste, Italy
Eur Respir J 25:348-55. 2005
- Determinants of the cuff-leak test: a physiological study
Intensive Care Medicine Department, University of Crete, University Hospital of Heraklion, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Crit Care 9:R24-31. 2005
- Tracheal intubation in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a comparison of the Airwayscope, LMA CTrach, and the Macintosh laryngoscopes
M A Malik
Department of Anaesthesia, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
Br J Anaesth 102:654-61. 2009
- Should we use etomidate as an induction agent for endotracheal intubation in patients with septic shock?: a critical appraisal
William L Jackson
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Department of Surgery, Critical Care Medicine Service, Building 2, Room 3M12, 6900 Georgia Ave NW, Washington, DC 20307 5001, USA
Chest 127:1031-8. 2005
..The potential role for concomitant empiric steroid replacement and the comparability of alternative induction regimens are also discussed...
- Outcomes after out-of-hospital endotracheal intubation errors
Henry E Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Resuscitation 80:50-5. 2009
..We sought to evaluate the association between three key out-of-hospital endotracheal intubation (ETI) errors and patient outcomes...
- Noninvasive ventilation in hypercapnic acute respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease vs. other conditions: effectiveness and predictors of failure
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, National University Hospital, Singapore
Intensive Care Med 31:533-9. 2005
..This study compared the effectiveness of noninvasive ventilation (NIV) and the risk factors for NIV failure in hypercapnic acute respiratory failure (ARF) due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) vs. non-COPD conditions...
- Airway management using the intubating laryngeal mask airway for the morbidly obese patient
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, European Hospital Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Anesth Analg 96:1510-5, table of contents. 2003
..The best choice of the primary technique (laryngoscopy or ILMA) for tracheal intubation of an adult obese patient remains to be determined...
- Cricoid pressure decreases ease of tracheal intubation using fibreoptic laryngoscopy (WuScope System
Charles E Smith
Department of Anesthesiology, MetroHealth Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Can J Anaesth 49:614-9. 2002
..In three patients (9%), pressure had to be released in order to successfully intubate. CONCLUSION: Cricoid pressure may impede or even prevent fibreoptic laryngoscopic intubation with the WuScope System(TM)...
- Traumatic complications of intubation and other airway management procedures
Kwok Seng Loh
University Health Network, Wharton Head and Neck Center, Princess Margaret Hospital, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Anesthesiol Clin North America 20:953-69. 2002
..Awareness of the potential "difficult" airway and employing the appropriate techniques to maximize airway visualization can minimize the risk of these complications...
- Montgomery T-tube: anesthetic management
Department of Anesthesia, Himalayan Institute of Medical Sciences, Dehradun, 248140 India
J Clin Anesth 19:135-7. 2007
..Safe management of such patients requires careful planning. We describe different techniques of anaesthetic management in two cases of injuries to the throat, for which this tube was inserted as a tracheal stent...
- Comparison of laryngeal tube with laryngeal mask airway in anaesthetized and paralysed patients
T S Yildiz
University of Kocaeli, School of Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology, Kocaeli, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:620-5. 2007
..The laryngeal tube is a relatively new supraglottic airway device for airway management. We compared the new version of the laryngeal tube with the laryngeal mask...
- Performance of the PAxpress vs the ProSeal laryngeal mask airway during general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Montreal, CHUM, Hopital Notre Dame, 1560, Sherbrooke East, Montreal, Quebec H2L 4M1, Canada
Can J Anaesth 54:28-33. 2007
..A prospective, randomized study was undertaken to compare the PAx with the ProSeal laryngeal mask airway (PLMA) during anesthesia with positive pressure ventilation...
- The intubating laryngeal mask: is there a role for paramedics?
Northampton General Hospital, Cliftonville, Northampton NN1 5BD, UK
Emerg Med J 24:198-9. 2007
..To compare the ability of UK paramedics to intubate a simulated difficult airway using a Mackintosh laryngoscope versus an intubating laryngeal mask airway (ILMA)...
- A case of difficult airway due to lingual tonsillar hypertrophy in a patient with Down's syndrome
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Anesth Analg 97:704-5. 2003
..Fiberoptic nasotracheal intubation under inhaled anesthesia may therefore be preferable in pediatric or uncooperative patients with symptomatic lingual tonsillar hypertrophy...
- Airway equipment in Scottish emergency departments
C A Graham
Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Eur J Emerg Med 10:16-8. 2003
..Nearly all departments have access to a suitable rescue device for the failed or difficult airway. Capnographic confirmation of tube placement should be mandatory in A&E...
- [Fiberoptic intubation via laryngeal mask airway under general anesthesia in the patients with halo vest]
Department of Anesthesia, Kobe National Hospital, Kobe 654-0155 and Chibune Hospital, Osaka 555-0001
Masui 52:505-8. 2003
..However, we must carefully diagnose and select the patient whose airway can be kept patent under general anesthesia. The motionless pictures of the intubation procedures can be seen on the web site: www.hosp.go.jp/~kobe/...
- [Airway obstruction after tracheostomy in a neurologically impaired child]
Matsumoto Dental University, Nagano 399 0781
Masui 57:352-4. 2008
..Tracheomalacia can be a cause of sudden difficult ventilation in neurologically impaired children...
- [Airway management in pediatric anesthesia]
Kliniken für Anästhesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Virchow Klinikum, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353, Berlin
Anaesthesist 55:809-19; quiz 820. 2006
..If intubation is indicated, an optimal size and position of the endotracheal tube has to be provided. Fiberoptic endotracheal intubation is recommended if a difficult airway is known or anticipated due to a craniofacial syndrome...
- [Future airway management challenges for anesthesiology]
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 54:137-9. 2007
- The cardiovascular response to insertion of the intubating laryngeal mask airway
Anaesthetic Department, Kings College Hospital, London SE5 9RS, UK
Anaesthesia 57:330-3. 2002
..The findings of this study do not support using the intubating laryngeal mask instead of direct laryngoscopy purely to decrease the response to intubation...
- Evaluation of the Cobra perilaryngeal airway (CPLA) as an airway conduit
J J Lee
Sungkyunkwan University, School of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:852-5. 2007
..This study aimed to evaluate the Cobra perilaryngeal airway for its potential role in an emergency airway rescue, by analysing its use as a bridge to blind or fibre-optic-guided intubation...
- [Prediction and definition of difficult mask ventilation and difficult intubation: question 1. SociÃ©tÃ© FranÃ§aise d'AnesthÃ©sie et de RÃ©animation.]
, , 1, , 67091 Strasbourg, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:3-14. 2008
- Assessment of manoeuvres required for successful blind tracheal intubation through the PAXpress
S M Ahmed
Department of Anaesthesiology, J N Medical College, AMU, Aligarh, India
Anaesthesia 63:32-5. 2008
..Extension' is the predominant adjusting manoeuvre required for blind tracheal intubation, especially when the alignment of the PAXpress to the larynx is poor...
- [Which anaesthesia techniques for difficult intubation? Particular situations: question 3. Société Française d'Anesthésie et de Réanimation]
Service d anesthésie réanimation 1, Hopital Pellegrin, CHU de Bordeaux, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:26-32. 2008
- [Difficult airway-management devices. Establishment and maintenance: question 4. SociÃ©tÃ© FranÃ§aise d'AnesthÃ©sie et de RÃ©animation]
, , 51, , , France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:33-40. 2008
- Self-reported changes in attitude and behavior after attending a simulation-aided airway management course
Sebastian G Russo
Department of Anesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care Medicine, Georg August University, 37075, Gottingen, Germany
J Clin Anesth 19:517-22. 2007
..To evaluate the influence of a simulator-aided course for airway management on participants' daily clinical airway management practice...
- A randomised, crossover comparison between the CobraPLA and the LMA Classic in paralysed patients
S B Nam
Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Anaesthesia and Pain Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 146 92 Dogok dong, Kangnam Gu, Seoul, Korea
Anaesthesia 62:1285-8. 2007
..Our data show that the CobraPLA can be used to secure a patent airway during controlled ventilation in selected patients...
- Intubating laryngeal mask as a ventilatory device during percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy: a descriptive study
Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine, and Pain Therapy, Diako Hospital, Flensburg, Academic Teaching Hospital of the University of Kiel, Germany
Br J Anaesth 99:912-5. 2007
..We report our experience with this method...
- [Airway management]
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Universitatsklinikum Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen
Anaesthesist 56:837-55; quiz 856-7. 2007
- A comparison of the laryngeal tube-S and Proseal laryngeal mask during outpatient surgical procedures
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Namazi Hospital, Department of Anaesthesiology, Shiraz, Iran
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:847-51. 2007
..The present investigation compared their performance in a randomized controlled study...
- Use of WuScope for exchange of endotracheal tube in a patient with difficult airway
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Laryngoscope 113:1082-4. 2003
..To describe a method for the exchange of a defective endotracheal tube using the WuScope in patients with difficult airways who cannot tolerate interrupted ventilation...
- Intubating laryngeal mask airway size selection: a randomized triple crossover study in paralyzed, anesthetized male and female adult patients
Department of Anaesthesia, Pain Clinic, and Clinical Toxicology, Mito Saiseikai General Hospital, Ibaraki, Japan
Anesth Analg 94:1023-7, table of contents. 2002
- Intubating laryngeal mask airway for difficult out-of-hospital airway management: a prospective evaluation
Department of Anaesthesiology, Emergency, and Intensive Care Medicine, Georg August University, Robert Koch Str 40, 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Br J Anaesth 99:286-91. 2007
..The intubating laryngeal mask airway (ILMA) is a ventilatory and intubating device which may be of value in this arena. We evaluated the ILMA for out-of-hospital management of the difficult airway...
- Predicting difficult and impossible mask ventilation
Allan P Reed
Anesthesiology 107:170; author reply 171-2. 2007
- [What are the anamnestic, clinical and paraclinical criteria for intubation and/or difficult mask ventilation?]
Service d Anesthesie Reanimation, Hopital de Hautepierre, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 22:18s-27s. 2003
- Blood gas changes in patients undergoing laryngeal microsurgery
Surhan Ozer Cinar
Department of Anesthesiology, Sisli Etfal Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Auris Nasus Larynx 33:299-302. 2006
- Risk factors assessment of the difficult airway: an italian survey of 1956 patients
Department of Surgery, Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Division, Spedali Riuniti S Chiara, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Anesth Analg 99:1774-9, table of contents. 2004
..96 compared with the C-L groups. Although there is a correlation between oropharyngeal volume and difficult intubation, the Mallampati score by itself is insufficient for predicting difficult endotracheal intubation...
- Randomized controlled trial comparing the laryngeal tube and the laryngeal mask in pediatric patients
Department of Anaesthesia, Azienda Ospedaliera di Parma, Parma, Italy
Paediatr Anaesth 16:251-7. 2006
..This randomized controlled study compares LT with laryngeal mask (LMA) for airway management during spontaneous or assisted ventilation and during fiberoptic laryngoscopy in children...
- [Cannot intubate, cannot ventilate: airway management of difficult airways in adults]
Department of Anesthesiology, Kansai Medical University, Mariguchi 570-8507
Masui 55:13-23. 2006
..In this article, I will present six typical cases of difficult airways, and will discuss appropriate options for safer airway management...
- Advantages of ProSeal and SLIPA airways over tracheal tubes for gynecological laparoscopies
Donald M Miller
Department of Anaesthetics, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College London, Guy s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Can J Anaesth 53:188-93. 2006
..To compare the efficacy of the ProSeal LMA and SLIPA supralaryngeal airways (SLA) with the standard tracheal tube (TT) in 150 consecutive day-case laparoscopic gynecological surgery procedures requiring general anesthesia...
- Management of airway in patients with laryngeal tumors
Sreenivasa S Moorthy
Department of Anesthesiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Clin Anesth 17:604-9. 2005
..Depending on the diagnosis, further surgery and radiation treatment were planned next. CONCLUSIONS: With these guidelines, we have reduced the frequency of emergencies because of a lost airway, bleeding, or dislodging of tumor...
- The difficult airway in adult critical care
Gavin G Lavery
School of Health and Life Sciences, University of Ulster, Belfast, UK
Crit Care Med 36:2163-73. 2008
..The difficult airway is a common problem in adult critical care patients. However, the challenge is not just the establishment of a safe airway, but also maintaining that safety over days, weeks, or longer...
- The LMA CTrach, a new laryngeal mask airway for endotracheal intubation under vision: evaluation in 100 patients
E H C Liu
Department of Anaesthesia, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074
Br J Anaesth 96:396-400. 2006
..Method. We used and evaluated this system in 100 adult patients undergoing general anaesthesia for elective surgery. Our primary outcomes were the success rates of LMA CTrach Airway insertion and endotracheal intubation with this system...