- [Anesthetic management of patients with tracheal bronchus]
Division of Anesthesia, National Hospital Organization, Hokkaido Cancer Center, Sapporo, Japan
Masui 57:152-7. 2008
..Therefore, the airway must be assessed carefully by fiberoptic bronchoscopy prior to unilateral lung surgery, keeping in mind the possibility of a tracheal bronchus, in order to design a safe way to secure it safely during the surgery...
- Endotracheal intubation in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a comparison of macintosh and airtraq laryngoscopes
Chrisen H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Anesthesiology 107:53-9. 2007
..The authors compared ease of intubation with the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes in patients with cervical spine immobilization in a randomized, controlled clinical trial...
- Patients' recollections of stressful experiences while receiving prolonged mechanical ventilation in an intensive care unit
Armando J Rotondi
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
Crit Care Med 30:746-52. 2002
..To describe stressful experiences of adult patients who received mechanical ventilation for > or =48 hrs in an intensive care unit...
- Prediction of difficult mask ventilation
Departement d Anesthesie Reanimation, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Universite Paris VI, Paris, France
Anesthesiology 92:1229-36. 2000
..Because the incidence of difficult mask ventilation (DMV) and the factors associated with it are not well known, we undertook this prospective study...
- Noninvasive ventilation in immunosuppressed patients with pulmonary infiltrates, fever, and acute respiratory failure
Division of Medical Intensive Care, University Hospital, Bordeaux, France
N Engl J Med 344:481-7. 2001
..Avoiding intubation is a major goal in the management of respiratory failure, particularly in immunosuppressed patients. Nevertheless, there are only limited data on the efficacy of noninvasive ventilation in these high-risk patients...
- Tracheal intubation using the Bonfils intubation fibrescope after failed direct laryngoscopy
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Schwanenweg 21, D 24105 Kiel, Germany
Anaesthesia 59:1207-9. 2004
..5 (30-80 [20-200]) s. Tracheal intubation using the Bonfils intubation fibrescope appears to be a simple and effective technique for the management of a difficult intubation...
- Incidence and predictors of difficult and impossible mask ventilation
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103, USA
Anesthesiology 105:885-91. 2006
..Mask ventilation is an essential element of airway management that has rarely been studied as the primary outcome. The authors sought to determine the incidence and predictors of difficult and impossible mask ventilation...
- Difficult Airway Society guidelines for management of the unanticipated difficult intubation
J J Henderson
Anaesthetic Department, Gartnavel General Hospital, 1053 Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 0YN, UK
Anaesthesia 59:675-94. 2004
..The flow-charts are simple, clear and definitive. They can be fully implemented only when the necessary equipment and training are available. The guidelines received overwhelming support from the membership of the DAS...
- Endotracheal tube cuff pressure in intensive care unit: the need for pressure monitoring
Intensive Care Med 33:917-8. 2007
- Predicting difficult intubation in apparently normal patients: a meta-analysis of bedside screening test performance
Department of Anesthesia, Nippon Medical School Chiba Hokusoh Hospital, Kamagari, Chiba, Japan
Anesthesiology 103:429-37. 2005
..Combinations of tests add some incremental diagnostic value in comparison to the value of each test alone. The clinical value of bedside screening tests for predicting difficult intubation remains limited...
- Pulmonary toxicity of single-wall carbon nanotubes in mice 7 and 90 days after intratracheal instillation
Chiu wing Lam
Space and Life Sciences, NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas 77058, USA
Toxicol Sci 77:126-34. 2004
- Difficult tracheal intubation is more common in obese than in lean patients
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Bichat Claude Bernard Hospital, Paris, France
Anesth Analg 97:595-600, table of contents. 2003
..None of the classic risk factors for difficult intubation was satisfactory in obese patients. The high risk of desaturation warrants studies to identify new predictors of difficult intubation in the obese...
- The Combitube as a salvage airway device for paramedic rapid sequence intubation
Daniel P Davis
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA 92103 8676, USA
Ann Emerg Med 42:697-704. 2003
..Here we describe our experience with the Combitube (esophageal-tracheal twin-lumen airway device) as a salvage airway device for paramedic rapid sequence intubation...
- A comparison of the GlideScope with the Macintosh laryngoscope for tracheal intubation in patients with simulated difficult airway
Department of Anaesthesia, KK Women s and Children s Hospital, Singapore
Anaesth Intensive Care 33:243-7. 2005
..The GlideScope may be a good alternative for managing the difficult airway but clinical trials evaluating its use on patients with an actual difficult airway are needed...
- Pentax-AWS, a new videolaryngoscope, is more effective than the Macintosh laryngoscope for tracheal intubation in patients with restricted neck movements: a randomized comparative study
Department of Anaesthesiology, Koshigaya Hospital, Dokkyo Medical University, Koshigaya City, Saitama, Japan
Br J Anaesth 100:544-8. 2008
..We studied whether laryngoscopy and tracheal intubation were easier when using the Pentax-AWS (Tokyo, Japan), a new videolaryngoscope, than when applying the Macintosh laryngoscope, during manual in-line neck stabilization...
- Tracheal intubation in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a comparison of the Airwayscope, LMA CTrach, and the Macintosh laryngoscopes
M A Malik
Department of Anaesthesia, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
Br J Anaesth 102:654-61. 2009
- The GlideScope Video Laryngoscope: randomized clinical trial in 200 patients
D A Sun
Department of Anesthesia, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Br J Anaesth 94:381-4. 2005
..The aim of the study was to describe the use of the GlideScope in comparison with direct laryngoscopy for elective surgical patients requiring tracheal intubation...
- A prospective, randomized, study comparing early percutaneous dilational tracheotomy to prolonged translaryngeal intubation (delayed tracheotomy) in critically ill medical patients
Mark J Rumbak
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Occupation Medicine, Tampa General Hospital University of South Florida Health Science Center, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Crit Care Med 32:1689-94. 2004
..The effects of early percutaneous dilational tracheotomy compared with delayed tracheotomy in critically ill medical patients needing prolonged mechanical ventilation were assessed...
- Comparison of mucosal pressures induced by cuffs of different airway devices
Intensive Care Unit 13i2, Department of Internal Medicine I, Medical University Vienna, Austria
Anesthesiology 104:933-8. 2006
..The aim of this study was to compare pressures exerted on the pharyngeal, tracheal, and esophageal mucosa by different devices designed for securing the patient's airways...
- Brief report: tracheal intubation using the Bonfils intubation fibrescope or direct laryngoscopy for patients with a simulated difficult airway
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine, and Pain Management, J W Goethe University Medical School, Frankfurt M, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Can J Anaesth 55:232-7. 2008
..We tested the hypothesis that, with the BIF compared to direct laryngoscopy, the rate of failed endotracheal intubation could be reduced in patients with a difficult airway, simulated by means of a rigid cervical immobilization collar...
- The Airtraq as a rescue airway device following failed direct laryngoscopy: a case series
C H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia, Clinical Sciences Institute, National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Sciences, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Anaesthesia 62:598-601. 2007
..In contrast, with the Airtraq device, each patient's trachea was successfully intubated on the first attempt. This report underlines the utility of the Airtraq device in these patients...
- Where's the tube? Evaluation of hand-held ultrasound in confirming endotracheal tube placement
Department of Anesthesia, Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Prehosp Disaster Med 19:366-9. 2004
..Thoracic sonography, previously utilized to detect pneumothoraces, has not been tested to assess ETT placement...
- Guidelines for emergency tracheal intubation immediately after traumatic injury
C Michael Dunham
St Elizabeth Health Center, Youngstown, Ohio 44501 1790, USA
J Trauma 55:162-79. 2003
- Impact of unplanned extubation and reintubation after weaning on nosocomial pneumonia risk in the intensive care unit: a prospective multicenter study
Arnaud de Lassence
Medical ICU, Avicenne Hospital, Bobigny, France
Anesthesiology 97:148-56. 2002
- Prehospital rapid sequence induction by emergency physicians: is it safe?
C A Mackay
Helicopter Emergency Medical Service, Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel
Emerg Med J 18:20-4. 2001
..To determine if there were differences in practice or intubation mishap rate between anaesthetists and accident and emergency physicians performing rapid sequence induction of anaesthesia (RSI) in the prehospital setting...
- Measurement of tracheal tube cuff pressure in critical care
Department of Anaesthesia, Leeds General Infirmary, UK
Anaesthesia 57:275-7. 2002
..Critically ill patients are particularly vulnerable to tracheal injury due to prolonged intubation. We suggest that cuff pressures should be measured regularly...
- A comparison of a left-sided Broncho-Cath with the torque control blocker univent and the wire-guided blocker
Javier H Campos
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa Health Care, Iowa City 52242, USA
Anesth Analg 96:283-9, table of contents. 2003
..For elective thoracic surgical cases, once the lung was isolated, the management seemed to be similar for all three tube groups...
- Evaluation of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscopes in patients at increased risk for difficult tracheal intubation
C H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
Anaesthesia 63:182-8. 2008
..4 (0.8) vs 7.7 (3.0)). Tracheal intubation with the Airtraq also reduced the degree of haemodynamic stimulation and minor trauma compared to the Macintosh laryngoscope...
- The effectiveness of premedication for endotracheal intubation in mechanically ventilated neonates. A systematic review
Department of Paediatrics, Mount Sinai Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1X5, Canada
Clin Perinatol 29:535-54. 2002
..Adequately skilled staff who have a full understanding of the potential benefits and harms of the interventions used should perform intubation and the administration of premedication in neonates...
- VEGF is upregulated by hypoxia-induced mitogenic factor via the PI-3K/Akt-NF-kappaB signaling pathway
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Respir Res 7:37. 2006
..In this study, we investigated the mechanisms which HIMF enhances expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in lung tissues and epithelial cells...
- The influence of endotracheal tube leak on the assessment of respiratory function in ventilated children
Physiotherapy Department, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, Great Ormond Street, London WC1 N 3JH, UK
Intensive Care Med 27:1788-97. 2001
..This study aimed to assess the influence of tracheal tube leak on measurements of C(rs), R(rs) and expired tidal volume (V(TE)) in ventilated children in order to establish when such measurements were reliable in this population...
- An update on bronchial blockers during lung separation techniques in adults
Javier H Campos
Department of Anesthesia, University of Iowa Health Care, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1079, USA
Anesth Analg 97:1266-74. 2003
..The current use of bronchial blockers, supported by scientific evidence, dictates that bronchial blockers should be available in any service that performs lung separation techniques...
- A randomized study assessing the systematic search for maxillary sinusitis in nasotracheally mechanically ventilated patients. Influence of nosocomial maxillary sinusitis on the occurrence of ventilator-associated pneumonia
Service de Réanimation et Service de Bactériologie, Centre Hospitalier, Bourg en Bresse and Département de Biostastistique et Informatique Médicale, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 159:695-701. 1999
..The effect on mortality should be confirmed...
- The out-of-hospital esophageal and endobronchial intubations performed by emergency physicians
Department of Anesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care Medicine, Georg August University, Goettingen, Germany
Anesth Analg 104:619-23. 2007
..Rapid establishment of a patent airway in ill or injured patients is a priority for prehospital rescue personnel. Out-of-hospital tracheal intubation can be challenging. Unrecognized esophageal intubation is a clinical disaster...
- Prehospital tracheal intubation in severely injured patients: a Danish observational study
Erika Frischknecht Christensen
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital of Aarhus, Aarhus 8000, Denmark
BMJ 327:533-4. 2003
- A comparison of tracheal intubation using the Airtraq or the Macintosh laryngoscope in routine airway management: A randomised, controlled clinical trial
C H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Anaesthesia 61:1093-9. 2006
..Tracheal intubation with the Airtraq resulted in less alterations in heart rate. These findings demonstrate the utility of the Airtraq laryngoscope for tracheal intubation in low risk patients...
- Energy balance in the intubated human airway is an indicator of optimal gas conditioning
Stuart N Ryan
Fisher and Paykel Healthcare, Panmure, Auckland, New Zealand
Crit Care Med 30:355-61. 2002
..The aim of this study was to determine the inspired gas condition that was thermodynamically neutral to the airway of intubated patients, and also examine the contribution of the endotracheal tube to airway heat and water balance...
- A prospective, randomized comparison of an in-line heat moisture exchange filter and heated wire humidifiers: rates of ventilator-associated early-onset (community-acquired) or late-onset (hospital-acquired) pneumonia and incidence of endotracheal tube oc
O C Kirton
Department of Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine, and the Ryder Trauma Center, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Fla 33101, USA
Chest 112:1055-9. 1997
..Englewood, Colo) in the mechanical ventilator circuit on the incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) and the rate of endotracheal tube occlusion...
- Predicting difficult intubation--worthwhile exercise or pointless ritual?
S M Yentis
Anaesthesia 57:105-9. 2002
- Use of the Airtraq laryngoscope in a model of difficult intubation by prehospital providers not previously trained in laryngoscopy
School of Biomedical Sciences, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia
Anaesthesia 62:1061-5. 2007
..Users evaluated it as easy to use and achieved intubation within an acceptable breath-to-breath interval...
- Airway Scope: initial clinical experience with novice personnel
Can J Anaesth 54:160-1. 2007
- Early clinical experience with a new videolaryngoscope (GlideScope) in 728 patients
Richard M Cooper
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Management, Toronto General Hospital, 200 Elizabeth Street, 3 EN 421, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
Can J Anaesth 52:191-8. 2005
..To evaluate a new videolaryngoscope and assess its ability to provide laryngeal exposure and facilitate intubation...
- Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation reverses acute respiratory failure in select "do-not-intubate" patients
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Crit Care Med 33:1976-82. 2005
..To determine the outcome from the use of noninvasive positive pressure ventilation (NPPV) in "do-not-intubate" (DNI) patients in acute respiratory failure...
- Preoxygenation in critically ill patients requiring emergency tracheal intubation
Thomas C Mort
Surgical ICU, Hartford Hospital, Anesthesiology Surgery, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, USA
Crit Care Med 33:2672-5. 2005
..To determine the effectiveness of preoxygenation with 100% oxygen in the critically ill patient in preparation for emergency tracheal intubation...
- Description and first clinical application of AirWay Scope for tracheal intubation
Jun ichi Koyama
Department of Neurosurgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Asahi, Matsumoto, Japan
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 18:247-50. 2006
..Here, we report the first clinical application of this system and describe potential advantages of the apparatus...
- Impact of humidification systems on ventilator-associated pneumonia: a randomized multicenter trial
Jean Claude Lacherade
Medical Unit, Henri Mondor Hospital, Creteil, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:1276-82. 2005
- Effect of out-of-hospital pediatric endotracheal intubation on survival and neurological outcome: a controlled clinical trial
Department of Emergency Medicine, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, and Harbor UCLA Research and Education Institute, Torrance, Calif 90509, USA
JAMA 283:783-90. 2000
..Endotracheal intubation (ETI) is widely used for airway management of children in the out-of-hospital setting, despite a lack of controlled trials demonstrating a positive effect on survival or neurological outcome...
- Management of the difficult airway: a closed claims analysis
Gene N Peterson
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 6540, USA
Anesthesiology 103:33-9. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to identify the patterns of liability associated with malpractice claims arising from management of the difficult airway...
- Effects of open endotracheal suction on lung volume in infants receiving HFOV
D G Tingay
Department of Neonatology, Royal Children s Hospital, Flemington Rd, 3052, Parkville, Vic, Australia
Intensive Care Med 33:689-93. 2007
..To describe the pattern and magnitude of lung volume change during open endotracheal tube (ETT) suction in infants receiving high-frequency oscillatory ventilation (HFOV)...
- Airway management in adults after cervical spine trauma
Edward T Crosby
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Anesthesiology 104:1293-318. 2006
..There are no outcome data that would support a recommendation for a particular practice option for airway management; a number of options seem appropriate and acceptable...
- Paramedic versus emergency physician emergency medical service: role of the anaesthesiologist and the European versus the Anglo-American concept
Department of Anaesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care Medicine, Georg August University, Goettingen, Germany
Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 21:222-7. 2008
- Identification of endotracheal tube malpositions using computerized analysis of breath sounds via electronic stethoscopes
Christopher J O'Connor
Department of Anesthesiology, Rush Medical College at Rush University Medical Center, 1653 W Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Anesth Analg 101:735-9. 2005
- Tracheal stenosis aftertracheostomy or intubation: review with special regard to cause and management
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Akdeniz University Medical School, Antalya, Turkey
Tex Heart Inst J 32:154-8. 2005
..Management of infraglottic stenosis is difficult, particularly when there is a large laryngeal defect or when there have been previous surgical attempts at the same site...
- Acute functional enhancement of circulatory neutrophils after intratracheal instillation with diesel exhaust particles in rats
Laboratory of Toxicology, Hatano Research Institute, Food and Drug Safety Center, Kanagawa, Japan
Inhal Toxicol 17:671-9. 2005
..These results suggest that IT instillation of DEP enhances systemic oxidative stress by increasing neutrophil count and ORP in the acute period...
- Risk factors for adult laryngotracheal stenosis: a review of 74 cases
Dept of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Temple University School of Medicine, 3400 N Broad St, Kresge West 102, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 116:206-10. 2007
..We sought to identify risk factors for and review our experience in the management of adult acquired laryngotracheal stenosis (LTS) at an academic urban medical center...
- Determinants of the cuff-leak test: a physiological study
Intensive Care Medicine Department, University of Crete, University Hospital of Heraklion, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Crit Care 9:R24-31. 2005
- Effects of steroids on reintubation and post-extubation stridor in adults: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, University Saint Eloi Hospital, France
Crit Care 13:R49. 2009
..The efficacy of steroid administration before planned tracheal extubation in critical care patients remains controversial with respect to the selection of patients most likely to benefit from this treatment...
- The Thai Anesthesia Incident Monitoring Study (Thai AIMS) of endobronchial intubation: an analysis of 1996 incident reports
Department of Anesthesiology, Charoenkrung Pracharak Hospital, Bangkok 10120, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 91:1854-60. 2008
..To analyze the clinical course, outcomes, contributing factor, corrective and preventive strategies of accidental endobroncheal intubation (EBI) in the Thai Anesthesia Incident Monitoring Study (Thai AIMS)...
- Prognostic factors in laryngotracheal injury following intubation and/or tracheotomy in ICU patients
ENT Department, Hospital General de Catalunya, Cugat del Vallés, Barcelona, Spain
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 262:880-3. 2005
..Consequently, it is essential to establish a time limit to perform tracheotomy in ICU patients. Such timing should be adapted to each patient and pathology...
- Should EMS-paramedics perform paediatric tracheal intubation in the field?
Bastiaan M Gerritse
Department of Anaesthesiology, Amphia Hospital, Postbus 90158, 4800 RK Breda, The Netherlands
Resuscitation 79:225-9. 2008
..To determine the incidence and success rate of out-of-hospital tracheal intubation (TI) and ventilation of children, taking account of the type of healthcare provider involved...
- Management of benign stenoses of the large airways in the university hospital in Prague, Czech Republic, in 1998-2003
Pulmonary Department of the 1st Medical Faculty, Charles University, Katerinska 19, Prague 2, 120 00 Czech Republic
Respiration 72:622-8. 2005
..Clinically significant benign stenoses of the large airways develop in about 1% of patients after intubation. The management of benign stenoses is not unified around the world, nor are there any accepted methods for their screening...
- Intravenous injection of methylprednisolone reduces the incidence of postextubation stridor in intensive care unit patients
Kuo Chen Cheng
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan
Crit Care Med 34:1345-50. 2006
..To determine whether treatment with corticosteroids decreases the incidence of postextubation airway obstruction in an adult intensive care unit...
- [Field 5. Safety practices procedures for mechanical ventilation. French-speaking Society of Intensive Care. French Society of Anesthesia and Resuscitation]
Service de réanimation médicale et groupe de recherche sur le handicap ventilatoire, UPRES EA 3830 IFRMP 23, UFR de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Hopital Charles Nicolle, CHU Hôpitaux de Rouen, Rouen Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:e77-89. 2008
..The main objective of safety practices described in this chapter is to prevent or avoid the main risks due to invasive mechanical ventilation...
- Intubating conditions and hemodynamic effects of etomidate for rapid sequence intubation in the emergency department: an observational cohort study
Peter J Zed
Clinical Service Unit, Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Acad Emerg Med 13:378-83. 2006
..To describe and analyze the intubating conditions and hemodynamic effects of etomidate in patients undergoing rapid sequence intubation (RSI) in the emergency department...
- Proper insertion depth of endotracheal tubes in adults by topographic landmarks measurements
Department of Anesthesia, The Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon 58100, Israel
J Clin Anesth 19:15-9. 2007
..To evaluate a new method of endotracheal tube (ETT) positioning relative to carina, based on external topographic landmarks...
- Outcomes after out-of-hospital endotracheal intubation errors
Henry E Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Resuscitation 80:50-5. 2009
..We sought to evaluate the association between three key out-of-hospital endotracheal intubation (ETI) errors and patient outcomes...
- Learning and performance of tracheal intubation by novice personnel: a comparison of the Airtraq and Macintosh laryngoscope
C H Maharaj
Department of Anaesthesia, University College Hospital Galway, Ireland
Anaesthesia 61:671-7. 2006
..The Airtraq device showed a rapid learning curve and the students found it significantly easier to use. The Airtraq appears to be a superior device for novice personnel to acquire the skills of tracheal intubation...
- The effect of extubation failure on outcome in a multidisciplinary Australian intensive care unit
John R Gowardman
Intensive Care Unit, The Canberra Hospital, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Crit Care Resusc 8:328-33. 2006
..A reported association between extubation failure (EF) and increased hospital length of stay and mortality led us to assess outcome of EF in an Australian intensive care unit...
- Prehospital airway management: a prospective evaluation of anaesthesia trained emergency physicians
Department of Anesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care and Medicine, Georg August University of Goettingen, Germany
Resuscitation 70:179-85. 2006
..To determine the characteristics of prehospital tracheal intubation and the incidence of difficult-to-manage airways in out-of-hospital patients managed by emergency medicine physicians with anaesthesia training...
- Benefits and risks of success or failure of noninvasive ventilation
Service de Reanimation Medicale, AP HP, Hopital Henri Mondor, 51 Av du Mal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94000, Creteil, France
Intensive Care Med 32:1756-65. 2006
..The impact of NIV failure and success was compared between de novo and CPE or AOC after adjustment for disease severity...
- Airway intubation in a helicopter cabin: video vs. direct laryngoscopy in manikins
Telehealth Research Institute, University of Hawaii, John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 80:820-3. 2009
..An alternative method is video laryngoscopy (VID) that displays magnified images of the glottic opening on a video monitor and allows intubation despite nonstandard positioning...
- Estimating the population incidence of adult post-intubation laryngotracheal stenosis
S A R Nouraei
Clin Otolaryngol 32:411-2. 2007
- A chart of failure risk for noninvasive ventilation in patients with COPD exacerbation
S C Pneumologia, Ospedale di Cattinara, Strada di Fiume, 447, I 34100 Trieste, Italy
Eur Respir J 25:348-55. 2005
- Endotracheal intracuff pressures in the ED and prehospital setting: is there a problem?
James E Svenson
Section of Emergency Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Am J Emerg Med 25:53-6. 2007
..The time spent in these settings may be long enough for pressure-induced tracheal mucosal injury to occur. The purpose of this study is to assess cuff pressures in intubated patients before aeromedical transport...
- An in vitro study of the compliance of paediatric tracheal tube cuffs and tracheal wall pressure
Department of Neonatology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Anaesthesia 61:978-83. 2006
- Risk factors for extubation failure in patients following a successful spontaneous breathing trial
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Universitario de Getafe, Carretera de Toledo Km 12, 500, 28905 Getafe, Madrid, Spain
Chest 130:1664-71. 2006
..To assess the factors associated with reintubation in patients who had successfully passed a spontaneous breathing trial...
- Management of post-intubation tracheal stenoses using the endoscopic approach
Unit of Respiratory Endoscopy and Laser Therapy, Spedali Civili of Brescia, Italy
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 67:73-80. 2007
..Over 600 post-intubation tracheal stenoses have been treated in our centre since 1982: the aim of this study was to determine the safety and efficacy of our endoscopic approach...
- Evaluation of the Airway Scope, a new video laryngoscope, in tracheal intubation by naive operators: a manikin study
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Yokohama City University, School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 51:1378-81. 2007
..The Airway Scope (AWS) is a new video laryngoscope. The purpose of this study was to compare the AWS and Macintosh laryngoscopes with regard to their usefulness for beginners in tracheal intubation...
- End tidal carbon dioxide monitoring in prehospital and retrieval medicine: a review
M J Donald
Accident and Emergency Department, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD19SY UK
Emerg Med J 23:728-30. 2006
..The units now available are compact and rugged, with extended battery operating times, which are ideally suited for prehospital use and should be considered as an essential item for advanced airway management...
- Esophageal intubation with indirect clinical tests during emergency tracheal intubation: a report on patient morbidity
Thomas C Mort
Department of Anesthesiology, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT 06102, USA
J Clin Anesth 17:255-62. 2005
..To determine the consequences of esophageal intubation (EI) when using standard indirect clinical tests to detect endotracheal tube (ETT) placement in the emergency setting outside the operating room (OR)...
- Early and late failure of noninvasive ventilation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with acute exacerbation
Respiratory Diseases, Department of Clinical Methodology and Medical Surgical Technologies, University of Bari, Bari
Eur J Clin Invest 35:404-9. 2005
- The impact of prehospital endotracheal intubation on outcome in moderate to severe traumatic brain injury
Daniel P Davis
Department of Emergency Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 92103 8676, USA
J Trauma 58:933-9. 2005
..Although early intubation to prevent the mortality that accompanies hypoxia is considered the standard of care for severe traumatic brain injury (TBI), the efficacy of this approach remains unproven...
- Prehospital emergency endotracheal intubation using the Bonfils intubation fiberscope
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine and Pain Therapy, J W Goethe University Medical School, Frankfurt, Germany
Eur J Emerg Med 14:43-6. 2007
..The Bonfils intubation fiberscope therefore demonstrated its value as an additional airway management device in both emergency and prehospital settings...
- Should we use etomidate as an induction agent for endotracheal intubation in patients with septic shock?: a critical appraisal
William L Jackson
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Department of Surgery, Critical Care Medicine Service, Building 2, Room 3M12, 6900 Georgia Ave NW, Washington, DC 20307 5001, USA
Chest 127:1031-8. 2005
..The potential role for concomitant empiric steroid replacement and the comparability of alternative induction regimens are also discussed...
- Noninvasive ventilation in hypercapnic acute respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease vs. other conditions: effectiveness and predictors of failure
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, National University Hospital, Singapore
Intensive Care Med 31:533-9. 2005
..This study compared the effectiveness of noninvasive ventilation (NIV) and the risk factors for NIV failure in hypercapnic acute respiratory failure (ARF) due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) vs. non-COPD conditions...
- The ProSeal laryngeal mask airway and the laryngeal tube Suction for ventilation in gynaecological patients undergoing laparoscopic surgery
University Hospital Mannheim, Institute of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Faculty of Clinical Medicine Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Manheim, Germany
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:117-22. 2005
- Performance of the PAxpress vs the ProSeal laryngeal mask airway during general anesthesia
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Montreal, CHUM, Hopital Notre Dame, 1560, Sherbrooke East, Montreal, Quebec H2L 4M1, Canada
Can J Anaesth 54:28-33. 2007
..A prospective, randomized study was undertaken to compare the PAx with the ProSeal laryngeal mask airway (PLMA) during anesthesia with positive pressure ventilation...
- The intubating laryngeal mask: is there a role for paramedics?
Northampton General Hospital, Cliftonville, Northampton NN1 5BD, UK
Emerg Med J 24:198-9. 2007
..To compare the ability of UK paramedics to intubate a simulated difficult airway using a Mackintosh laryngoscope versus an intubating laryngeal mask airway (ILMA)...
- Predicting difficult and impossible mask ventilation
Allan P Reed
Anesthesiology 107:170; author reply 171-2. 2007
- A comparison of the laryngeal tube-S and Proseal laryngeal mask during outpatient surgical procedures
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Namazi Hospital, Department of Anaesthesiology, Shiraz, Iran
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:847-51. 2007
..The present investigation compared their performance in a randomized controlled study...
- [Airway management]
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie, Universitatsklinikum Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen
Anaesthesist 56:837-55; quiz 856-7. 2007
- [Prediction and definition of difficult mask ventilation and difficult intubation: question 1. Société Française d'Anesthésie et de Réanimation]
Département d Anesthésiologie, Hopital Civil de Strasbourg, 1, Place de l Hopital, 67091 Strasbourg, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:3-14. 2008
- Assessment of manoeuvres required for successful blind tracheal intubation through the PAXpress
S M Ahmed
Department of Anaesthesiology, J N Medical College, AMU, Aligarh, India
Anaesthesia 63:32-5. 2008
..Extension' is the predominant adjusting manoeuvre required for blind tracheal intubation, especially when the alignment of the PAXpress to the larynx is poor...
- [Difficult airway-management devices. Establishment and maintenance: question 4. Société Française d'Anesthésie et de Réanimation]
Service d anesthésie réanimation Samu Smur, Hôpital Henri Mondor AP HP, 51, Avenue du Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Creteil, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:33-40. 2008
- Self-reported changes in attitude and behavior after attending a simulation-aided airway management course
Sebastian G Russo
Department of Anesthesiology, Emergency and Intensive Care Medicine, Georg August University, 37075, Gottingen, Germany
J Clin Anesth 19:517-22. 2007
..To evaluate the influence of a simulator-aided course for airway management on participants' daily clinical airway management practice...
- Intubating laryngeal mask as a ventilatory device during percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy: a descriptive study
Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care Medicine, and Pain Therapy, Diako Hospital, Flensburg, Academic Teaching Hospital of the University of Kiel, Germany
Br J Anaesth 99:912-5. 2007
..We report our experience with this method...
- [Airway obstruction after tracheostomy in a neurologically impaired child]
Matsumoto Dental University, Nagano 399 0781
Masui 57:352-4. 2008
..Tracheomalacia can be a cause of sudden difficult ventilation in neurologically impaired children...
- [Which anaesthesia techniques for difficult intubation? Particular situations: question 3. Société Française d'Anesthésie et de Réanimation]
Service d anesthésie réanimation 1, Hopital Pellegrin, CHU de Bordeaux, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:26-32. 2008
- Comparison of laryngeal tube with laryngeal mask airway in anaesthetized and paralysed patients
T S Yildiz
University of Kocaeli, School of Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology, Kocaeli, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 24:620-5. 2007
..The laryngeal tube is a relatively new supraglottic airway device for airway management. We compared the new version of the laryngeal tube with the laryngeal mask...
- Montgomery T-tube: anesthetic management
Department of Anesthesia, Himalayan Institute of Medical Sciences, Dehradun, 248140 India
J Clin Anesth 19:135-7. 2007
..Safe management of such patients requires careful planning. We describe different techniques of anaesthetic management in two cases of injuries to the throat, for which this tube was inserted as a tracheal stent...
- A prospective, randomized comparison of cobra perilaryngeal airway and laryngeal mask airway unique in pediatric patients
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and Children s Medical Center at Dallas, 1935, B3304, Motor St, Dallas, TX 75235, USA
Anesth Analg 107:1523-30. 2008
..The Cobra Perilaryngeal Airway (PLA) provides better sealing pressure than the Laryngeal Mask Airway Unique (LMAU) during positive-pressure ventilation in adults. We compared the performance of the CobraPLA and LMAU in infants and children...