- Sequential multiplex PCR approach for determining capsular serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates
Respiratory Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:124-31. 2006
Accurate serotyping is essential to monitor the changes in the seroepidemiology of Streptococcus pneumoniae...
- A new pneumococcal serotype, 11E, has a variably inactivated wcjE gene
Juan J Calix
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 2170, USA
J Infect Dis 202:29-38. 2010
..We propose to name the 11Aalpha subtype as serotype 11A and the 11Abeta subtype as 11E, a new serotype. Our findings also suggest that the diversity of pneumococcal capsules is much greater than was previously recognized...
- Global epidemiology of meningococcal disease
Lee H Harrison
Infectious Diseases Epidemiology Research Unit, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Graduate School of Public Health, 521 Parran Hall, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, United States
Vaccine 27:B51-63. 2009
- Sustained reductions in invasive pneumococcal disease in the era of conjugate vaccine
Division of Bacterial Diseases and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 201:32-41. 2010
..Changes in invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) incidence were evaluated after 7 years of 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) use in US children...
- Discovery of a new capsular serotype (6C) within serogroup 6 of Streptococcus pneumoniae
In Ho Park
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 845 19th Street South BBRB 614, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Clin Microbiol 45:1225-33. 2007
..This study also demonstrates that a new serotype may exist within an established and well-characterized serogroup or serotype...
- Genetic analysis of the capsular biosynthetic locus from all 90 pneumococcal serotypes
Stephen D Bentley
Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS Genet 2:e31. 2006
..of the genetics and origins of bacterial polysaccharide diversity, laying the foundations for molecular serotyping. This is the first time, to our knowledge, that a complete repertoire of capsular biosynthetic genes has been ..
- Impact of meningococcal serogroup C conjugate vaccines on carriage and herd immunity
Martin C J Maiden
Dept of Zoology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 197:737-43. 2008
..The impact of this intervention on asymptomatic carriage of meningococci was investigated to establish whether serogroup replacement or protection by herd immunity occurred...
- Clonal relationships between invasive and carriage Streptococcus pneumoniae and serotype- and clone-specific differences in invasive disease potential
Angela B Brueggemann
Academic Department of Microbiology and Infectious Disease, John Radcliffe Hospital and Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 187:1424-32. 2003
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex genetic diversity: mining the fourth international spoligotyping database (SpolDB4) for classification, population genetics and epidemiology
, Institut Pasteur de Guadeloupe, Guadeloupe
BMC Microbiol 6:23. 2006
..The building and mining of extended MTC polymorphic genetic databases is in progress...
- Effect of pneumococcal conjugate vaccination on serotype-specific carriage and invasive disease in England: a cross-sectional study
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 8:e1001017. 2011
- Transmission of Streptococcus pneumoniae in rural Gambian villages: a longitudinal study
Philip C Hill
Bacterial Diseases Programme, Medical Research Council Laboratories, Fajara, The Gambia
Clin Infect Dis 50:1468-76. 2010
..pneumoniae in rural Africa and a baseline for evaluating the impact of the introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine into the region...
- Dengue viremia titer, antibody response pattern, and virus serotype correlate with disease severity
D W Vaughn
Department of Virus Diseases, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
J Infect Dis 181:2-9. 2000
..6 for those with dengue fever vs. 108.5 for patients with DHF, P=.01). Increased dengue disease severity correlated with high viremia titer, secondary dengue virus infection, and DEN-2 virus type...
- Identification of natural pneumococcal isolates expressing serotype 6D by genetic, biochemical and serological characterization
Preston E Bratcher
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Microbiology 156:555-60. 2010
..However, we now report the discovery of two naturally occurring pneumococcal isolates from Korea that have the serological, genetic and biochemical features predicted for serotype 6D...
- Serotype-specific differences in clinical manifestations of dengue
, , Ministerio de Salud, Managua, Nicaragua
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:449-56. 2006
..86, CI 2.72-5.48) and more primary DENV infections with severe manifestations (OR 2.93, CI 2.00-4.28). These findings provide new data to characterize the pathogenic potential of distinct DENV serotypes in human populations...
- First report of putative Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 6D among nasopharyngeal isolates from Fijian children
Bao an Maternity and Child Health Hospital, Shenzhen, People s Republic of China
J Infect Dis 200:1375-80. 2009
..A putative Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype, 6D, resulting from the introduction of wciN(beta) into serotype 6B has been proposed...
- Genetic basis for the new pneumococcal serotype, 6C
In Ho Park
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 845 19th Street South, BBRB 614, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Infect Immun 75:4482-9. 2007
..These findings indicate that the 6C capsule type originated more than 27 years ago by a single recombination event in a 6A locus in which 6A wciN was replaced by a gene of unknown origin...
- Pneumococcal conjugate vaccination and nasopharyngeal acquisition of pneumococcal serotype 19A strains
Elske J M van Gils
University Medical Center Utrecht, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatric Immunology and Infectious Diseases, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
JAMA 304:1099-106. 2010
..Because spontaneous fluctuations in time and antibiotic selective pressure may have induced this serotype 19A increase, controlled studies are needed to assess the role of PCV-7...
- Epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease in the pre-conjugate vaccine era: England and Wales, 1996-2006
Caroline L Trotter
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, UK
J Infect 60:200-8. 2010
..To describe the epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) in England & Wales in the pre-conjugate vaccine era...
- Multiple colonization with S. pneumoniae before and after introduction of the seven-valent conjugated pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine
Silvio D Brugger
Institute for Infectious Diseases, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 5:e11638. 2010
..We studied the epidemiology of cocolonization with S. pneumoniae before and after introduction of the seven-valent conjugated pneumococcal vaccine (PCV7)...
- Production of a unique pneumococcal capsule serotype belonging to serogroup 6
Preston E Bratcher
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Microbiology 155:576-83. 2009
..Nevertheless, this study shows that this capsular PS is biochemically possible and could exist/emerge in nature...
- Novel AAV serotypes for improved ocular gene transfer
Gene Therapy Program, Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Gene Med 10:375-82. 2008
..We show here that AAV7 and 8 enable superior long-term transduction of retinal and also anterior chamber structures...
- Novel adeno-associated virus serotypes efficiently transduce murine photoreceptors
Telethon Institute of Genetics and Medicine, Via P Castellino 111, 80131 Napoli, Italy
J Virol 81:11372-80. 2007
- Pneumococcal capsular polysaccharides conjugated to protein D for prevention of acute otitis media caused by both Streptococcus pneumoniae and non-typable Haemophilus influenzae: a randomised double-blind efficacy study
Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Military Health Sciences, University of Defence, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Lancet 367:740-8. 2006
..This study assessed the efficacy of a novel vaccine that contained polysaccharides from 11 different Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes each conjugated to Haemophilus influenzae-derived protein D in prevention of acute otitis media...
- Serotype-specific dengue virus circulation and dengue disease in Bangkok, Thailand from 1973 to 1999
Department of Virology, Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangkok, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:191-202. 2003
..Our findings illustrate the uniqueness of each serotype in producing epidemics and severe disease and underscore the importance of long-term surveillance of dengue serotypes in understanding the epidemiology of these viruses...
- Analysis and phylogenetic comparisons of full-length VP2 genes of the 24 bluetongue virus serotypes
Department of Arbovirology, Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, Ash Road, Woking, Surrey GU24 0NF, UK
J Gen Virol 88:621-30. 2007
..The data presented form an initial basis for BTV serotype identification by sequence analyses and comparison of Seg-2, and for development of molecular diagnostic assays for individual BTV serotypes (by RT-PCR)...
- Pneumococcal capsular polysaccharide structure predicts serotype prevalence
Daniel M Weinberger
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
PLoS Pathog 5:e1000476. 2009
- Continued impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on carriage in young children
Susan S Huang
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Pediatrics 124:e1-11. 2009
- PCR-based quantitation and clonal diversity of the current prevalent invasive serogroup 6 pneumococcal serotype, 6C, in the United States in 1999 and 2006 to 2007
Maria Da Gloria Carvalho
Respiratory Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:554-9. 2009
..1%), respectively. These results agreed with those from a previously devised monoclonal antibody-based serotyping system (346 CS6As compared)...
- Changing epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease in Canada, 1998-2007: update from the Calgary-area Streptococcus pneumoniae research (CASPER) study
James D Kellner
University of Calgary, Alberta Children s Hospital, Calgary Health Region, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 49:205-12. 2009
..Routine infant vaccination with 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) began in the Calgary Health Region (Alberta, Canada) in 2002. We measured the impact of this vaccine program on invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD)...
- Molecular epidemiology of metallo-beta-lactamase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates from Norway and Sweden shows import of international clones and local clonal expansion
Reference Centre for Detection of Antimicrobial Resistance, Department of Microbiology and Infection Control, University Hospital of North Norway, N 9038 Tromsø, Norway
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 54:346-52. 2010
..The findings suggest that both import of successful international clones and local clonal expansion contribute to the emergence of MBL-producing P. aeruginosa in Scandinavia...
- Serotype-related variation in susceptibility to complement deposition and opsonophagocytosis among clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae
National Institute for Health and Welfare, Department of Vaccination and Immune Protection, Helsinki, Finland
Infect Immun 78:5252-61. 2010
- Dynamic models of pneumococcal carriage and the impact of the Heptavalent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine on invasive pneumococcal disease
DONDENA Centre for Research on Social Dynamics, Bocconi University, Via Guglielmo Rontgen, Milan, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 10:90. 2010
..However the long term effects of PCV are still unclear, as beneficial direct and herd immunity effects might be countered by serotype replacement...
- New patterns in the otopathogens causing acute otitis media six to eight years after introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
Janet R Casey
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:304-9. 2010
- Evaluation of sequential multiplex PCR for direct detection of multiple serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae from nasopharyngeal secretions
Bacterial Diseases Programme, Medical Research Council Laboratories, Banjul, The Gambia
J Med Microbiol 58:296-302. 2009
..0001). The multiplex PCR method identified significantly more serotypes than the latex/Quellung method if limited to the 29 serotypes (P=0.001 and P=0.014, respectively)...
- Genetic relatedness of the Streptococcus pneumoniae capsular biosynthetic loci
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, Room G22, Old Medical School Building, St Mary s Hospital, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 189:7841-55. 2007
- Evaluation of the NS1 rapid test and the WHO dengue classification schemes for use as bedside diagnosis of acute dengue fever in adults
Program in Emerging Infectious Diseases, Duke National University of Singapore NUS Graduate Medical School, Singapore
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:224-8. 2011
- A molecular-capsular-type prediction system for 90 Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes using partial cpsA-cpsB sequencing and wzy- or wzx-specific PCR
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology (CIDM, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research (ICPMR, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
J Med Microbiol 54:351-6. 2005
..Although further study of the relationship between MCT and CS is needed, this system now allows serotype or serogroup identification of 95 % of S. pneumoniae isolates...
- Global serotype distribution among Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates causing otitis media in children: potential implications for pneumococcal conjugate vaccines
Gail L Rodgers
Scientific Affairs and Global Medical Affairs, Vaccines, Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Inc, Collegeville, PA 19426, USA
Vaccine 27:3802-10. 2009
- Evidence that pneumococcal serotype replacement in Massachusetts following conjugate vaccination is now complete
William P Hanage
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, UK
Epidemics 2:80-4. 2010
..For other serotypes, the future course of replacement disease remains to be determined...
- Clonal dissemination of human isolates of Streptococcus suis serotype 14 in Thailand
National Institute of Health, Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health, Tiwanon Road, Muang, Nonthaburi 11000, Thailand
J Med Microbiol 58:1508-13. 2009
..Because serotype 14 is becoming a more common cause of S. suis infections in humans, diagnostic tests for serotype 14 should be performed in South-East Asian countries...
- Cost-effective real-time reverse transcriptase PCR (RT-PCR) to screen for Dengue virus followed by rapid single-tube multiplex RT-PCR for serotyping of the virus
Yee Ling Lai
National Environment Agency, Environmental Health Institute, 11 Biopolis Way, 06 05 08 Helios Block, Singapore 138667
J Clin Microbiol 45:935-41. 2007
..The second RT-PCR assay is a duplex fluorogenic probe-based real-time RT-PCR for serotyping clinical samples for dengue viruses. The detection threshold of the probe-based RT-PCR format was 0...
- Using cpsA-cpsB sequence polymorphisms and serotype-/group-specific PCR to predict 51 Streptococcus pneumoniae capsular serotypes
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology (CIDM, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research (ICPMR, Westmead Hospital, Darcy Road, Westmead, New South Wales 2145, Australia
J Med Microbiol 52:1047-58. 2003
..51 serotypes) and 276 recent clinical isolates were used to develop MCT and compare it with conventional serotyping (CS) (total 427 isolates)...
- Trends in patterns of dengue transmission over 4 years in a pediatric cohort study in Nicaragua
Departamento de Virologia, Centro Nacional de Diagnostico y Referencia, Ministry of Health, Nicaragua
J Infect Dis 201:5-14. 2010
..Dengue is the most prevalent mosquito-borne viral disease in humans and a major urban public health problem worldwide...
- Illustration of a common framework for relating multiple typing methods by application to macrolide-resistant Streptococcus pyogenes
J A Carriço
Grupo de Biomatemática, Istituto de Tecnologia Química e Biológica, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Rua da Quinta Grande 6 2780 156 Oeiras, Portugal
J Clin Microbiol 44:2524-32. 2006
..All isolates were characterized by macrolide resistance phenotyping, T serotyping, emm sequence typing, and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE), using SmaI or Cfr9I and SfiI...
- The cps genes of Streptococcus suis serotypes 1, 2, and 9: development of rapid serotype-specific PCR assays
H E Smith
Department of Bacteriology, DLO Institute for Animal Science and Health, 8200 AB Lelystad, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 37:3146-52. 1999
..Therefore, these tests may facilitate control and eradication programs...
- Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A in children, South Korea
Eun Hwa Choi
Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Emerg Infect Dis 14:275-81. 2008
..005 for trend). This study demonstrates that the expansion of multidrug-resistant ST320 was responsible for the increase in serotype 19A before PCV7 use...
- Post-PCV7 changes in colonizing pneumococcal serotypes in 16 Massachusetts communities, 2001 and 2004
Susan S Huang
Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Pediatrics 116:e408-13. 2005
..Susceptibility testing and serotyping were performed on isolated Streptococcus pneumoniae strains...
- Identification of serotype in culture negative pneumococcal meningitis using sequential multiplex PCR: implication for surveillance and vaccine design
Samir K Saha
Department of Microbiology, Bangladesh Institute of Child Health, Dhaka Shishu Children Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh
PLoS ONE 3:e3576. 2008
PCR-based serotyping of Streptococcus pneumoniae has been proposed as a simpler approach than conventional methods, but has not been applied to strains in Asia where serotypes are diverse and different from other part of the world...
- Associations between virulence factors of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli and disease in humans
Department of Population Medicine, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 37:497-503. 1999
- Vaccine escape recombinants emerge after pneumococcal vaccination in the United States
Angela B Brueggemann
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS Pathog 3:e168. 2007
..Vaccine escape by genetic recombination at the capsular locus has the potential to reduce PCV7 effectiveness in the longer term...
- A longitudinal household study of Streptococcus pneumoniae nasopharyngeal carriage in a UK setting
Immunisation Department, Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, UK
Epidemiol Infect 133:891-8. 2005
..pneumoniae is common in a UK setting in the pre-conjugate vaccine era. PCV would protect against a large proportion of carriage isolates. However, the impact of vaccination on non-vaccine serotypes will need to be monitored...
- Streptococcus pneumoniae resistance to complement-mediated immunity is dependent on the capsular serotype
Centre for Respiratory Research, Department of Medicine, University College Medical School, Rayne Institute, 5 University Street, London WC1E 6JJ, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 78:716-25. 2010
..This might be one mechanism by which the capsular serotype can affect the relative invasiveness of different S. pneumoniae strains...
- Streptococcus suis in humans, Thailand
Emerg Infect Dis 14:181-3. 2008
- Effectiveness of seven-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine against invasive pneumococcal disease: a matched case-control study
Cynthia G Whitney
Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Lancet 368:1495-502. 2006
..Our aim was to assess the effectiveness of the vaccine against various pneumococcal serotypes, and to measure the effectiveness of the recommended dose schedule and of catch-up and incomplete schedules...
- Myanmar dengue outbreak associated with displacement of serotypes 2, 3, and 4 by dengue 1
Hlaing Myat Thu
Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
Emerg Infect Dis 10:593-7. 2004
..The large number of clinical cases in 2001 may have been due, in part, to a preponderance of infections with dengue 1 viruses...
- Serotyping Streptococcus pneumoniae by multiplex PCR
D A Brito
Laboratory of Molecular Genetics, , Oeiras, Portugal
J Clin Microbiol 41:2378-84. 2003
..Capsular types identified by the PCR method invariably produced results concordant with the conventional serotyping technique...
- Sequential multiplex PCR for determining capsular serotypes of pneumococci recovered from Brazilian children
Cícero A Dias
Fundacao Faculdade Federal de Ciencias Medicas de Porto Alegre, and Hospital Mãe de Deus, Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
J Med Microbiol 56:1185-8. 2007
..The revised protocol successfully serotyped 139/147 pneumococci (94.6%) from Brazilian children, demonstrating a labour-efficient, accurate method requiring only conventional PCR capability...
- The pathogenesis of the meningitis caused by Streptococcus suis: the unresolved questions
Groupe de Recherche sur les Maladies Infectieuses du Porc, Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, 3200 Sicotte, PO Box 5000, Saint Hyacinthe, Montreal, Quebec, Canada J2S 7C6
Vet Microbiol 76:259-72. 2000
..Further studies to delineate the mechanisms through which S. suis induces meningitis will contribute to the development of potential therapies for S. suis infections...
- Sequential multiplex PCR for identifying pneumococcal capsular serotypes from South-Saharan African clinical isolates
Centro de Investigação em Saúde da Manhiça CISM, Ministerio de Saude, CP1929 Maputo, Mozambique
J Med Microbiol 56:1181-4. 2007
A serial multiplex PCR approach was reformulated for pneumococcal serotyping to test 153 clinical isolates from children in Mozambique. This approach identified serotypes in 139 (90.8%) of 153 isolates; 126 (82...
- Evolutionary genetics of the capsular locus of serogroup 6 pneumococci
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, Room G22, Old Medical School Building, St. Mary's Hospital, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 186:8181-92. 2004
- Emergence of Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes 19A, 6C, and 22F and serogroup 15 in Cleveland, Ohio, in relation to introduction of the protein-conjugated pneumococcal vaccine
Michael R Jacobs
Department of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Clin Infect Dis 47:1388-95. 2008
..A 7-valent conjugate pneumococcal vaccine (PCV7) was introduced in 2000...
- Enteroviruses in Spain over the decade 1998-2007: virological and epidemiological studies
National Centre for Microbiology, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, 28220 Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
J Clin Virol 47:170-6. 2010
..Human enteroviruses (HEV) are the commonest cause of viral meningitis as well as other pathologies, therefore HEV characterization is important both in patient management and epidemiological investigation...
- Temporal trends in invasive pneumococcal disease and pneumococcal serotypes over 7 decades
Zitta B Harboe
National Neisseria and Streptococcus Reference Center, Department of Bacteriology, Mycology, and Parasitology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Infect Dis 50:329-37. 2010
..We explored historical trends of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) and pneumococcal serotypes in a population exposed to limited antibiotic selective pressure and conjugate pneumococcal vaccination (PCV)...
- Distribution of Streptococcus suis capsular types from 2001 to 2007
, , St-Hyacinthe,
Can Vet J 49:461-2. 2008
- Effect of reduced-dose schedules with 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on nasopharyngeal pneumococcal carriage in children: a randomized controlled trial
Elske J M van Gils
Department of Pediatric Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
JAMA 302:159-67. 2009
..The effects of reduced-dose schedules of 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV-7) on pneumococcal carriage in children are largely unknown, although highly relevant in the context of subsequent herd effects...
- Financial consequences of the Dutch bluetongue serotype 8 epidemics of 2006 and 2007
A G J Velthuis
Business Economics, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
Prev Vet Med 93:294-304. 2010
..The cattle sector suffered 88% and 85% of the net costs for the BT2006 and BT2007, respectively; the highest of all sectors...
- Neisseria meningitidis intermediately resistant to penicillin and causing invasive disease in South Africa in 2001 to 2005
Mignon du Plessis
National Institute for Communicable Diseases of the National Health Laboratory Service, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Clin Microbiol 46:3208-14. 2008
..This is the first report describing the prevalence and molecular epidemiology of Pen(i) meningococcal isolates from sub-Saharan Africa...
- Incidence of pneumococcal disease due to non-pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) serotypes in the United States during the era of widespread PCV7 vaccination, 1998-2004
Lauri A Hicks
Respiratory Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 196:1346-54. 2007
..The benefits may be offset by increases in disease due to serotypes not included in the vaccine (hereafter, "nonvaccine serotypes"). We evaluated the effect of PCV7 on incidence of disease due to nonvaccine serotypes...
- Immunological and viral determinants of dengue severity in hospitalized adults in Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programme, Hanoi, Socialist Republic of Vietnam
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e967. 2011
..This cross-sectional study examined these interactions in adult patients hospitalized with dengue in Ha Noi...
- Molecular characteristics and epidemiology of meningococcal carriage, Burkina Faso, 2003
Judith E Mueller
Agence de Medecine Preventive, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 13:847-54. 2007
..These findings show the need for large samples and a longitudinal design for N. meningitidis serogroup A carriage studies...
- The effects of PspC on complement-mediated immunity to Streptococcus pneumoniae vary with strain background and capsular serotype
Centre for Respiratory Research, Department of Medicine, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Rayne Institute, London WC1E 6JJ, United Kingdom
Infect Immun 78:283-92. 2010
..However, data obtained from infection in complement-deficient mice demonstrated that differences between strains in the effects of PspC on complement surprisingly did not influence the development of septicemia...
- Capsular serotype-specific attack rates and duration of carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in a population of children
Karen L Sleeman
University Department of Paediatrics, Oxford Vaccine Group, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, Headington, Oxford, OX3 9DU, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 194:682-8. 2006
- Comparative evaluation of virulence and pathology of Streptococcus suis serotypes 2 and 9 in experimentally infected growers
Institut fur Pathologie, Stiftung Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, D 30173 Hannover, Germany
Vet Microbiol 128:423-30. 2008
..Thus, intravenous application of this serotype 9 strain is required to evaluate heterologous protection in the course of vaccine development based on serotype 2 strains in the future...
- The presence of the pilus locus is a clonal property among pneumococcal invasive isolates
Sandra I Aguiar
Instituto de Microbiologia, Instituto de Medicina Molecular, Faculdade de Medicina Universidade de Lisboa, Lisboa, Portugal
BMC Microbiol 8:41. 2008
- Serotype and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae causing invasive disease in The Gambia 1996-2003
Richard A Adegbola
Bacterial Diseases Programme, Medical Research Council Laboratories, PO Box 273, Banjul, The Gambia
Trop Med Int Health 11:1128-35. 2006
..To describe the characteristics of pneumococcal isolates obtained from patients with invasive pneumococcal disease in The Gambia...
- Serotype distribution and antimicrobial resistance of invasive and non-invasive pneumococccal isolates in Asturias, Spain
María Del Mar García-Suárez
Departamento de Biologia Funcional, Instituto Universitario de Biotecnologia de Asturias, Universidad de Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Jpn J Infect Dis 59:299-05. 2006
..Local epidemiological data assisted in the clinical determination of treatment protocols and effective prevention strategies...
- Serogroup 19 pneumococci containing both mef and erm macrolide resistance determinants in an American city
Department of Pediatrics, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:19-24. 2006
..mef/erm-containing pneumococci have not been identified in significant numbers in North America...
- Emergence and epidemiology of fluoroquinolone-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae strains from Italy: report from the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program (2001-2004)
Lalitagauri M Deshpande
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 54:157-64. 2006
..Epidemiological relationships among levofloxacin-resistant isolates were determined using ribotyping, PFGE, serotyping combined with antimicrobial resistance profiles augmented by QRDR mutation patterns. Eighty-three (15...
- A common clone of erythromycin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in Greece and the UK
Microbiology Department, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Mikras Asias 75, GR 115 27 Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:924-9. 2003
..9%) were resistant to erythromycin; nine of these were susceptible to penicillin. Serotyping allocated seven, three and one isolates to serotypes 14, 19F and serogroup 6, respectively...
- Regional differences in the epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease in toddlers in Germany
Department for Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
Pediatr Infect Dis J 24:1114-5. 2005
..Day-care attendance appears to be a relevant risk factor in some German states and should be considered for inclusion in the recommendations for pneumococcal vaccination of children at risk...
- [Molecular characterization of Colombian invasive serotype 5 Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates recovered between 1994 and 2004]
, Instituto Nacional de Salud, Bogot, D.C, Colombia
Biomedica 26:295-301. 2006
..CONCLUSION: These results showed the continuing circulation of S pneumoniae serotype 5 isolates in the country, and which are genetically related with the clone Colombia(5)-19...
- Penicillin susceptibility of non-serotypeable Streptococcus pneumoniae from ophthalmic specimens
Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Department of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, 812-8582, Japan
Microb Drug Resist 12:199-202. 2006
..0%) of the 10 PISPs had unaltered pbp genes and 2 (20.0%) had alterations in both pbp1a and pbp2b. These data suggest that penicillin resistance is spread among NT pneumococci typically associated with ophthalmic infections...
- Phenotypic and molecular analysis of penicillin-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in Poland
Department of Molecular Microbiology, National Institute of Public Health, ul Chełmska 30 34, 00 725 Warsaw, Poland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:40-7. 2007
..together with 22 archival PNSP isolates from 1995 to 1997, were subsequently analyzed by susceptibility testing, serotyping, profiling of pbp genes, pulsed-field gel electrophoresis, and multilocus sequence typing (MLST)...
- Changes in serotypes and antimicrobial susceptibility of invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae strains in Cleveland: a quarter century of experience
Michael R Jacobs
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:982-90. 2008
..This study documents the emergence of resistance over a quarter century among invasive pneumococci in the Cleveland area, as well as the reduction in disease caused by PCV7 serotypes following the introduction of PCV7 in 2000...
- Contribution of capsular and clonal types and beta-lactam resistance to the severity of experimental pneumococcal meningitis
Laboratory of Experimental Infection, Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge IDIBELL University of Barcelona, Feixa Llarga s n, 08907 Hospitalet de Llobregat, Spain
Microbes Infect 10:129-34. 2008
..The acquisition of beta-lactam resistance does not reduce the virulence of the invasive clones. Since five strains belonging to two serotypes were studied, our findings have to be confirmed with other pneumococcal serotypes...
- Molecular basis and clonal nature of increasing pneumococcal macrolide resistance in South Africa, 2000-2005
Respiratory and Meningeal Pathogens Research Unit, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Medical Research Council and University of the Witwatersrand, Sandringham, South Africa
Int J Antimicrob Agents 32:62-7. 2008
..Routine use of the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV-7) could reduce the burden of macrolide-resistant pneumococcal disease in South Africa...
- Population snapshot of emergent Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A in the United States, 2005
Matthew R Moore
Respiratory Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 197:1016-27. 2008
..To understand this increase, we characterized serotype 19A isolates recovered during 2005...
- Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of Streptococcus pneumoniae strains colonizing children attending day-care centers in Norway
Didrik F Vestrheim
Department of Bacteriology and Immunology, Division of Infectious Disease Control, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, P O Box 4404 Nydalen, N 0403 Oslo, Norway
J Clin Microbiol 46:2508-18. 2008
..A sensitive sampling method was employed, including transport in an enrichment broth and serotyping of pneumococci directly from the broth, in addition to traditional single-colony isolation from blood agar ..
- Temporal and spatial distribution of clonal complexes of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates resistant to multiple classes of antibiotics in Belgium, 1997 to 2004
GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3216-20. 2008
..1% to 6.6%. None of these changes can be attributed to PCV7 vaccine, as it was not in use in Belgium during the time period studied. There was evidence that MCNS clones flowed from West Flanders to Limburg...
- Effects of the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on U.S. levofloxacin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae
Todd A Davies
Johnson and Johnson Pharmaceutical Research and Development, LLC, Raritan, New Jersey 08869, USA
Microb Drug Resist 14:187-96. 2008
..PCV7 also reduces incidence of pneumococcal penicillin resistance. In this study, the potential impact of PCV7 on pneumococcal fluoroquinolone resistance was examined...
- Non-susceptibility trends and serotype distributions among Streptococcus pneumoniae from community-acquired respiratory tract infections and from bacteraemias in the UK and Ireland, 1999 to 2007
David J Farrell
Quotient Bioresearch, Microbiology, 7 9 William Road, London NW1 3ER, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:ii87-95. 2008
- Mechanisms, molecular and sero-epidemiology of antimicrobial resistance in bacterial respiratory pathogens isolated from Japanese children
School of Medicine, Kitasato University, Kanagawa, Japan
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 6:7. 2007
..This study aimed to determine the mechanisms and molecular- and sero-epidemiology of antibacterial resistance among the key paediatric respiratory pathogens in Japan...
- Pneumococcal disease in a paediatric population in a hospital of central Italy: a clinical and microbiological case series from 1992 to 2006
Clinica e Laboratorio di Malattie Infettive, Dipartimento di Biologia Molecolare, Universita di Siena, Viale Bracci 16, IV lotto piano 0, 53100 Siena, Italy
J Infect 56:179-84. 2008
..The study aims to investigate clinical and microbiological features of paediatric pneumococcal infections in an Italian province...
- Nationwide surveillance of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Greece: patterns of resistance and serotype epidemiology
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Athens University School of Medicine, University General Hospital Attikon, 1 Rimini Street, 124 62 Athens, Greece
Int J Antimicrob Agents 30:87-92. 2007
..pneumoniae isolates and displayed an increasingly resistant profile compared with previous reports from our country, warranting continuous vigilance...
- Quinupristin-dalfopristin nonsusceptibility in pneumococci from sickle cell disease patients
Caroline A Obert
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, 332 North Lauderdale St, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:386-9. 2007
..One-third of the isolates harbored a known resistance mechanism. Q-D is not optimal for use for the treatment of pneumococcal infection in SCD patients...
- Epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease in Kumasi, Ghana
Richard E Holliman
Department of Medical Microbiology, St George s Hospital and Medical School, Blackshaw Road, London, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 101:405-13. 2007
..Vaccination may improve control of pneumococcal disease in Ghana, although modified vaccine formulations are required for local use...
- Identification and molecular characterization of Salmonella spp. from unpasteurized orange juices and identification of new serotype Salmonella strain S. enterica serovar Tempe
Ashraf A Khan
Microbiology Division, US Food and Drug Administration, National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, Arkansas 72079, USA
Food Microbiol 24:539-43. 2007
..The PFGE patterns were different for each S. enterica serotypes suggesting the several origins of contamination in outbreak. S. enterica serotype...
- Serotype distribution and antimicrobial susceptibilities of nasopharyngeal isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae from children hospitalized for acute respiratory illnesses in Hong Kong
Department of Microbiology, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
J Clin Microbiol 45:1969-71. 2007
..9% and 37.2% of the isolates were not susceptible to penicillin and cefotaxime, respectively. The rate of potential coverage by the seven-valent conjugate vaccine was 72.3%, and the rate increased to 74.6% for serogroup-specific types...
- Pneumococci responsible for invasive disease and discharging ears in children in Sydney, Australia
The New South Wales Pneumococcal Reference Laboratory, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Department of Microbiology, Westmead, New South Wales, Australia
J Med Microbiol 56:819-23. 2007
..This surveillance should be continued, as it will be important to monitor the frequency and distribution of serotypes in the post-vaccine era...
- Impact of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on serotype distribution and antimicrobial resistance of invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in Dallas, TX, children from 1999 through 2005
Allison F Messina
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:461-7. 2007
..We analyzed the serotypes, antimicrobial resistance profiles and genetic relatedness of Streptococcus pneumoniae responsible for IPD at Children's Medical Center of Dallas...
- Emergence of 19A as virulent and multidrug resistant Pneumococcus in Massachusetts following universal immunization of infants with pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
Stephen I Pelton
Maxwell Finland Laboratory for Infectious Diseases, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:468-72. 2007
..Ongoing surveillance is necessary to identify emerging invasive serotypes and antimicrobial susceptibilities...