- Sustained reductions in invasive pneumococcal disease in the era of conjugate vaccine
Division of Bacterial Diseases and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 201:32-41. 2010
..Changes in invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) incidence were evaluated after 7 years of 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) use in US children...
- Dengue viremia titer, antibody response pattern, and virus serotype correlate with disease severity
D W Vaughn
Department of Virus Diseases, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
J Infect Dis 181:2-9. 2000
..6 for those with dengue fever vs. 108.5 for patients with DHF, P=.01). Increased dengue disease severity correlated with high viremia titer, secondary dengue virus infection, and DEN-2 virus type...
- Serotype replacement in disease after pneumococcal vaccination
Daniel M Weinberger
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Lancet 378:1962-73. 2011
..We conclude by discussing the future potential for serotype replacement in disease and the need for continuing surveillance...
- Herd immunity and serotype replacement 4 years after seven-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in England and Wales: an observational cohort study
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Health Protection Agency, Colindale, London, UK
Lancet Infect Dis 11:760-8. 2011
..We assess the effect of the PCV7 vaccination on VT and NVT disease in England and Wales...
- Standardization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for the subtyping of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella, and Shigella for PulseNet
Efrain M Ribot
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Foodborne Pathog Dis 3:59-67. 2006
- Genetic analysis of the capsular biosynthetic locus from all 90 pneumococcal serotypes
Stephen D Bentley
Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, United Kingdom
PLoS Genet 2:e31. 2006
..of the genetics and origins of bacterial polysaccharide diversity, laying the foundations for molecular serotyping. This is the first time, to our knowledge, that a complete repertoire of capsular biosynthetic genes has been ..
- Sequential multiplex PCR approach for determining capsular serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates
Respiratory Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:124-31. 2006
Accurate serotyping is essential to monitor the changes in the seroepidemiology of Streptococcus pneumoniae...
- The 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13) elicits cross-functional opsonophagocytic killing responses in humans to Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes 6C and 7A
Pfizer Vaccine Research, Pfizer, Pearl River, NY 10965, United States
Vaccine 29:7207-11. 2011
..Taken together these results suggest that immunization with PCV13 has the potential to induce cross-protective responses to related serotypes not directly covered by the vaccine...
- Global epidemiology of meningococcal disease
Lee H Harrison
Infectious Diseases Epidemiology Research Unit, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Graduate School of Public Health, 521 Parran Hall, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, United States
Vaccine 27:B51-63. 2009
Alan J A McBride
Gonçalo Moniz Research Centre, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Ministry of Health, Rua Waldemar Falcao 121, 40295 001 Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
Curr Opin Infect Dis 18:376-86. 2005
..This review addresses the issues in the epidemiology, diagnosis and clinical management which confront public health responses, and highlights the progress made towards understanding the Leptospira genome, biology and pathogenesis...
- Efficacy, safety and immunogenicity of heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children. Northern California Kaiser Permanente Vaccine Study Center Group
Kaiser Permanente Vaccine Study Center, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 19:187-95. 2000
- Impact of more than a decade of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine use on carriage and invasive potential in Native American communities
Jennifer R Scott
Center for American Indian Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Infect Dis 205:280-8. 2012
..We assessed the impact of 12 years of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) use on pneumococcal nasopharyngeal carriage and serotype-specific invasive disease potential among Native Americans...
- Clonal relationships between invasive and carriage Streptococcus pneumoniae and serotype- and clone-specific differences in invasive disease potential
Angela B Brueggemann
Academic Department of Microbiology and Infectious Disease, John Radcliffe Hospital and Department of Public Health and Primary Care, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 187:1424-32. 2003
- Improved detection of nasopharyngeal cocolonization by multiple pneumococcal serotypes by use of latex agglutination or molecular serotyping by microarray
Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, Mae Sot, Thailand
J Clin Microbiol 49:1784-9. 2011
..Conventional nasopharyngeal swab (NPS) culture and serotyping (the WHO protocol) is likely to underestimate multiple-serotype carriage...
- Effect of introduction of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae
Moe H Kyaw
Respiratory Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, USA
N Engl J Med 354:1455-63. 2006
..We examined the effect of this vaccine on invasive disease caused by resistant strains...
- Effectiveness of seven-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine against invasive pneumococcal disease: a matched case-control study
Cynthia G Whitney
Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Lancet 368:1495-502. 2006
..Our aim was to assess the effectiveness of the vaccine against various pneumococcal serotypes, and to measure the effectiveness of the recommended dose schedule and of catch-up and incomplete schedules...
- A trial of a 9-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children with and those without HIV infection
Keith P Klugman
Medical Research Council, University of the Witwatersrand, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Respiratory and Meningeal Pathogens Research Unit, Johannesburg, South Africa
N Engl J Med 349:1341-8. 2003
..We evaluated the efficacy of a 9-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in a randomized, double-blind study in Soweto, South Africa...
- Molecular epidemiology of foot-and-mouth disease virus
N J Knowles
Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, Ash Road, Pirbright, Woking, Surrey GU24 0NF, UK nick knowles bbsrc ac uk
Virus Res 91:65-80. 2003
..An increased understanding of how FMDV strains move between geographic regions will play a pivotal role in the development of future disease control strategies...
- Microevolution and virulence of dengue viruses
Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research, San Antonio, Texas 78227, USA
Adv Virus Res 59:315-41. 2003
- Multilocus sequence typing as a replacement for serotyping in Salmonella enterica
Environmental Research Institute and Department of Microbiology, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
PLoS Pathog 8:e1002776. 2012
..An inability of serotyping to correctly group isolates was most apparent for Paratyphi B and its variant Java...
- Decline in invasive pneumococcal disease after the introduction of protein-polysaccharide conjugate vaccine
Cynthia G Whitney
Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
N Engl J Med 348:1737-46. 2003
..In early 2000, a protein-polysaccharide conjugate vaccine targeting seven pneumococcal serotypes was licensed in the United States for use in young children...
- Temporal trends in invasive pneumococcal disease and pneumococcal serotypes over 7 decades
Zitta B Harboe
National Neisseria and Streptococcus Reference Center, Department of Bacteriology, Mycology, and Parasitology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Infect Dis 50:329-37. 2010
..We explored historical trends of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) and pneumococcal serotypes in a population exposed to limited antibiotic selective pressure and conjugate pneumococcal vaccination (PCV)...
- Effect of pneumococcal conjugate vaccination on serotype-specific carriage and invasive disease in England: a cross-sectional study
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 8:e1001017. 2011
- Cost-effective real-time reverse transcriptase PCR (RT-PCR) to screen for Dengue virus followed by rapid single-tube multiplex RT-PCR for serotyping of the virus
Yee Ling Lai
National Environment Agency, Environmental Health Institute, 11 Biopolis Way, 06 05 08 Helios Block, Singapore 138667
J Clin Microbiol 45:935-41. 2007
..The second RT-PCR assay is a duplex fluorogenic probe-based real-time RT-PCR for serotyping clinical samples for dengue viruses. The detection threshold of the probe-based RT-PCR format was 0...
- Clades of Adeno-associated viruses are widely disseminated in human tissues
Gene Therapy Program, Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3601 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Virol 78:6381-8. 2004
..These data provide important information regarding the biology of parvoviruses in humans and their use as gene therapy vectors...
- Impact of meningococcal serogroup C conjugate vaccines on carriage and herd immunity
Martin C J Maiden
Dept of Zoology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 197:737-43. 2008
..The impact of this intervention on asymptomatic carriage of meningococci was investigated to establish whether serogroup replacement or protection by herd immunity occurred...
- Antibody responses to nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in adults: a longitudinal household study
Immunobiology Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, UK
J Infect Dis 192:387-93. 2005
..pneumoniae or cross-reactive antigens. No longitudinal studies of carriage of and immune responses to S. pneumoniae have been conducted using sophisticated immunological laboratory techniques...
- A new pneumococcal serotype, 11E, has a variably inactivated wcjE gene
Juan J Calix
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294 2170, USA
J Infect Dis 202:29-38. 2010
..We propose to name the 11Aalpha subtype as serotype 11A and the 11Abeta subtype as 11E, a new serotype. Our findings also suggest that the diversity of pneumococcal capsules is much greater than was previously recognized...
- The non-O157 shiga-toxigenic (verocytotoxigenic) Escherichia coli; under-rated pathogens
Karl A Bettelheim
Crit Rev Microbiol 33:67-87. 2007
..The animal host-specificity of these STEC is also reviewed. In conclusion some methods of improving isolation of these pathogens is addressed...
- Enterovirus surveillance--United States, 1970-2005
Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases proposed, CDC, 1600 Clifton Road, NE, MS A 34, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
MMWR Surveill Summ 55:1-20. 2006
..Individual serotypes have different temporal patterns of circulation and often are associated with different clinical manifestations. Changes in circulating serotypes might be accompanied by large-scale outbreaks...
- Pneumococcal serotypes and mortality following invasive pneumococcal disease: a population-based cohort study
Zitta B Harboe
Department of Bacteriology, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen
PLoS Med 6:e1000081. 2009
..Pneumococcal disease is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. The aim of this study was to investigate the association between specific pneumococcal serotypes and mortality from invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD)...
- Differential effects of pneumococcal vaccines against serotypes 6A and 6C
In H Park
Departments of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
J Infect Dis 198:1818-22. 2008
Because classic pneumococcal serotyping methods cannot distinguish between serotypes 6A and 6C, the effects of pneumococcal vaccines against serotype 6C are unknown. Pneumococcal vaccines contain serotype 6B but not serotypes 6A and 6C.
- Serotype and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns of isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae causing invasive disease in The Gambia 1996-2003
Richard A Adegbola
Bacterial Diseases Programme, Medical Research Council Laboratories, PO Box 273, Banjul, The Gambia
Trop Med Int Health 11:1128-35. 2006
..To describe the characteristics of pneumococcal isolates obtained from patients with invasive pneumococcal disease in The Gambia...
- Transmission of Streptococcus pneumoniae in rural Gambian villages: a longitudinal study
Philip C Hill
Bacterial Diseases Programme, Medical Research Council Laboratories, Fajara, The Gambia
Clin Infect Dis 50:1468-76. 2010
..pneumoniae in rural Africa and a baseline for evaluating the impact of the introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine into the region...
- Increasing burden of invasive group B streptococcal disease in nonpregnant adults, 1990-2007
Tami H Skoff
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:85-92. 2009
..We used population-based surveillance to examine trends in adult GBS disease during the period 1990-2007 and to describe the epidemiology of adult GBS disease to guide prevention efforts...
- Klebsiella pneumoniae genotype K1: an emerging pathogen that causes septic ocular or central nervous system complications from pyogenic liver abscess
Chi Tai Fang
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Infect Dis 45:284-93. 2007
..There are limited data regarding the role of bacterial genotype in the pathogenesis of this syndrome...
- Comparison of classic and molecular approaches for the identification of untypeable enteroviruses
M S Oberste
Respiratory and Enteric Viruses Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 38:1170-4. 2000
..RT-PCR, coupled with amplicon sequencing, is a simple and rapid method for the typing and classification of picornaviruses and may lead to the identification of many new picornavirus serotypes...
- Genetic diversity among Botulinum Neurotoxin-producing clostridial strains
K K Hill
Bioscience, Theoretical Divisions, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545, USA
J Bacteriol 189:818-32. 2007
..These analyses contribute to the understanding of the evolution and phylogeny within this species and assist in the development of improved diagnostics and therapeutics for the treatment of botulism...
- An outbreak of serotype 1 Streptococcus pneumoniae meningitis in northern Ghana with features that are characteristic of Neisseria meningitidis meningitis epidemics
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 192:192-9. 2005
..These epidemics are generally caused by Neisseria meningitidis, an organism that is considered to be uniquely capable of causing meningitis epidemics...
- Nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Gambian villagers
Philip C Hill
Bacterial Diseases Programme, Medical Research Council Laboratories, Banjul, The Gambia
Clin Infect Dis 43:673-9. 2006
..To prepare for the introduction of a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine of restricted valency, we studied the nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Gambian villagers...
- Denmark14-230 clone as an increasing cause of pneumococcal infection in Portugal within a background of diverse serotype 19A lineages
Sandra I Aguiar
Instituto de Microbiologia, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
J Clin Microbiol 48:101-8. 2010
- Niche and neutral effects of acquired immunity permit coexistence of pneumococcal serotypes
Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics and Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 335:1376-80. 2012
..Our model can be used to explain the effects of pneumococcal vaccination and indicates general factors that regulate the diversity of pathogens...
- Burden of invasive pneumococcal disease and serotype distribution among Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in young children in Europe: impact of the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine and considerations for future conjugate vaccines
Daniel J Isaacman
Global Medical Affairs, Vaccines, Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Inc, Collegeville, PA, USA
Int J Infect Dis 14:e197-209. 2010
..The overall reported burden of invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) varies among countries in Europe. This review describes the epidemiology and serotype distribution of IPD in European children from studies published from 1990 to 2008...
- Serotype prevalence in adults hospitalised with pneumococcal non-invasive community-acquired pneumonia
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Thorax 67:540-5. 2012
..The distribution of pneumococcal serotypes implicated in non-invasive community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) in adults is currently unknown...
- Carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae 3 years after start of vaccination program, the Netherlands
University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Emerg Infect Dis 17:584-91. 2011
..PCV7 serotypes were largely replaced by non-PCV7 serotypes. Disappearance of PCV7 serotypes in parents suggests strong transmission reduction through vaccination...
- Non-O157 Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infections in the United States, 1983-2002
John T Brooks
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 192:1422-9. 2005
..Non-O157 STEC contribute to this burden of illness but have been underrecognized as a result of diagnostic limitations and inadequate surveillance...
- Temporal and geographic stability of the serogroup-specific invasive disease potential of Streptococcus pneumoniae in children
Angela B Brueggemann
Academic Department of Microbiology and Infectious Disease, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 190:1203-11. 2004
..There was no evidence of any temporal change or major geographical differences in serotype- or serogroup-specific invasive disease potential...
- Incidence of pneumococcal disease due to non-pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) serotypes in the United States during the era of widespread PCV7 vaccination, 1998-2004
Lauri A Hicks
Respiratory Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Infect Dis 196:1346-54. 2007
..The benefits may be offset by increases in disease due to serotypes not included in the vaccine (hereafter, "nonvaccine serotypes"). We evaluated the effect of PCV7 on incidence of disease due to nonvaccine serotypes...
- Association of serotype with risk of death due to pneumococcal pneumonia: a meta-analysis
Daniel M Weinberger
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:692-9. 2010
..We evaluated whether risk of death due to IPD is a stable serotype-associated property across studies and then compared the pooled effect estimates with epidemiologic and biological correlates...
- Pneumococcal serotype distribution and antimicrobial resistance in Chinese children hospitalized for pneumonia
Kai Hu Yao
Beijing Pediatric Research Institute, Beijing Children s Hospital Affiliated to Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Vaccine 29:2296-301. 2011
..The use of PCV7 has the potential to prevent a substantial number of pneumococcal infections. However, PCV13 is likely to prevent more episodes of pneumococcal disease in China because of the high rates of 19A...
- Clustering of serotypes in a longitudinal study of Streptococcus pneumoniae carriage in three day care centres
National Public Health Institute KTL, Mannerheimintie 166, FIN 00300 Helsinki, Finland
BMC Infect Dis 8:173. 2008
..Here we report the first longitudinal study of pneumococcal carriage that records serotype specific exposure to pneumococci simultaneously within the two most important mixing groups, families and day care facilities...
- Impact of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on pneumococcal nasopharyngeal carriage in children with acute otitis media
ACTIV Association Clinique et Thérapeutique Infantile du Val de Marne, Paris, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 31:297-301. 2012
..This program was used in 2010-2011 to assess the effect of the implementation of PCV13 on PNP carriage in young children with AOM...
- Genetic analysis of meningococci carried by children and young adults
Institute for Hygiene and Microbiology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
J Infect Dis 191:1263-71. 2005
..The relationship between meningococcal genotype and capsular polysaccharide, the principal virulence factor and vaccine component, was investigated in carried meningococci isolated from 8000 children and young adults in Bavaria, Germany...
- Simple, rapid latex agglutination test for serotyping of pneumococci (Pneumotest-Latex)
H C Slotved
Serum Production Unit, Department of Bacteriology, Mycology and Parasitology, Division of Microbiology and Diagnostics, Statens Serum Institut, Artillerivej 5, DK 2300 Copenhagen, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 42:2518-22. 2004
..e., serotyping. The method is labor intensive and requires a certain level of experience to be performed satisfactory, and thus ..
- AAV8, 9, Rh10, Rh43 vector gene transfer in the rat brain: effects of serotype, promoter and purification method
Ronald L Klein
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Neuroscience, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
Mol Ther 16:89-96. 2008
..The purification method can therefore impact the transduction pattern as well as the results when comparing serotype strengths...
- Pneumococcal capsular polysaccharides conjugated to protein D for prevention of acute otitis media caused by both Streptococcus pneumoniae and non-typable Haemophilus influenzae: a randomised double-blind efficacy study
Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Military Health Sciences, University of Defence, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Lancet 367:740-8. 2006
..This study assessed the efficacy of a novel vaccine that contained polysaccharides from 11 different Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes each conjugated to Haemophilus influenzae-derived protein D in prevention of acute otitis media...
- Pneumococcal capsular polysaccharide structure predicts serotype prevalence
Daniel M Weinberger
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
PLoS Pathog 5:e1000476. 2009
- Associations between virulence factors of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli and disease in humans
Department of Population Medicine, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 37:497-503. 1999
- SalK/SalR, a two-component signal transduction system, is essential for full virulence of highly invasive Streptococcus suis serotype 2
Department of Microbiology, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
PLoS ONE 3:e2080. 2008
..However, the molecular pathogenesis of this new emerging pathogen is still poorly understood...
- A longitudinal household study of Streptococcus pneumoniae nasopharyngeal carriage in a UK setting
Immunisation Department, Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, UK
Epidemiol Infect 133:891-8. 2005
..pneumoniae is common in a UK setting in the pre-conjugate vaccine era. PCV would protect against a large proportion of carriage isolates. However, the impact of vaccination on non-vaccine serotypes will need to be monitored...
- Nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Gambian infants: a longitudinal study
Philip C Hill
Bacterial Diseases Programme, MRC Laboratories, Banjul, The Gambia
Clin Infect Dis 46:807-14. 2008
..To prepare for national introduction of a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine of restricted valency, we studied nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Gambian infants...
- Serotype-specific differences in clinical manifestations of dengue
Departamento de Virologia, Centro Nacional de Diagnostico y Referencia, Ministerio de Salud, Managua, Nicaragua
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:449-56. 2006
..86, CI 2.72-5.48) and more primary DENV infections with severe manifestations (OR 2.93, CI 2.00-4.28). These findings provide new data to characterize the pathogenic potential of distinct DENV serotypes in human populations...
- Continued impact of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on carriage in young children
Susan S Huang
Division of Infectious Diseases, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Pediatrics 124:e1-11. 2009
- Discovery of a new capsular serotype (6C) within serogroup 6 of Streptococcus pneumoniae
In Ho Park
Department of Pathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 845 19th Street South BBRB 614, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Clin Microbiol 45:1225-33. 2007
..This study also demonstrates that a new serotype may exist within an established and well-characterized serogroup or serotype...
- A multilocus sequence typing scheme for Streptococcus pneumoniae: identification of clones associated with serious invasive disease
M C Enright
Wellcome Trust Centre for the Epidemiology of Infectious Disease, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, UK
Microbiology 144:3049-60. 1998
..A Web site for the molecular characterization of pneumococci by MLST is available (http ://mlst.zoo.ox.ac.uk)...
- Global monitoring of Salmonella serovar distribution from the World Health Organization Global Foodborne Infections Network Country Data Bank: results of quality assured laboratories from 2001 to 2007
Rene S Hendriksen
National Food Institute, WHO Collaborating Centre for Antimicrobial Resistance in Foodborne Pathogens and Community Reference Laboratory for Antimicrobial Resistance, Technical University of Denmark, Copenhagen, Denmark
Foodborne Pathog Dis 8:887-900. 2011
..Interventions are needed to control Salmonella; subtyping Salmonella by serotyping is useful for targeting such interventions...
- Pathogenesis and diagnosis of Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli infections
J C Paton
Molecular Microbiology Unit, Women s and Children s Hospital, North Adelaide, Australia
Clin Microbiol Rev 11:450-79. 1998
..This, in turn, has created a potential window of opportunity for future therapeutic intervention...
- A global emerging disease of Klebsiella pneumoniae liver abscess: is serotype K1 an important factor for complicated endophthalmitis?
C P Fung
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital and National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Gut 50:420-4. 2002
..However, the relationship between the clinical presentation and bacterial factors remains unclear. The aim of this study was to investigate the clinical features of patients and the serotype and ribotype of K pneumoniae liver abscess...
- The prevalence and risk factors for pneumococcal colonization of the nasopharynx among children in Kilifi District, Kenya
Wellcome Trust Research Program, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Coast, Kilifi, Kenya
PLoS ONE 7:e30787. 2012
..We studied the epidemiology of carriage among children 3-59 months old before vaccine introduction in Kilifi, Kenya...
- Population snapshot of emergent Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A in the United States, 2005
Matthew R Moore
Respiratory Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 197:1016-27. 2008
..To understand this increase, we characterized serotype 19A isolates recovered during 2005...
- Serotypes and genotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae causing pneumonia and acute exacerbations in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Microbiology Department, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge IDIBELL, Barcelona, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 66:487-93. 2011
..This study aimed to compare the antibiotic susceptibilities, serotypes and genotypes of pneumococci causing pneumonia or acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (AECOPD) in patients with COPD...
- Pre- and post-conjugate vaccine epidemiology of pneumococcal serotype 6C invasive disease and carriage within Navajo and White Mountain Apache communities
Eugene V Millar
Johns Hopkins Center for American Indian Health, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:1258-65. 2010
..The epidemiology of serotype 6C prior to and after 7-valent PCV (PCV7) introduction is incompletely understood...
- Evidence that pneumococcal serotype replacement in Massachusetts following conjugate vaccination is now complete
William P Hanage
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, UK
Epidemics 2:80-4. 2010
..For other serotypes, the future course of replacement disease remains to be determined...
- Current epidemiology and trends in invasive Haemophilus influenzae disease--United States, 1989-2008
Jessica R MacNeil
Division of Bacterial Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 53:1230-6. 2011
..With the introduction of Haemophilus influenzae serotype b (Hib) conjugate vaccines, there has been a dramatic reduction of Hib disease in young children and the epidemiological trends of invasive H. influenzae have shifted...
- Identification of natural pneumococcal isolates expressing serotype 6D by genetic, biochemical and serological characterization
Preston E Bratcher
Department of Microbiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Microbiology 156:555-60. 2010
..However, we now report the discovery of two naturally occurring pneumococcal isolates from Korea that have the serological, genetic and biochemical features predicted for serotype 6D...
- Establishment of a universal size standard strain for use with the PulseNet standardized pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols: converting the national databases to the new size standard
Susan B Hunter
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, Mail Stop C03, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 43:1045-50. 2005
..The strategy used to convert and compare data generated by the new and old reference standards is described...
- Meningococcal meningitis: unprecedented incidence of serogroup X-related cases in 2006 in Niger
centre de recherche médicale et sanitaire, Réseau International des Instituts Pasteur, Niamey, Niger
Clin Infect Dis 44:657-63. 2007
..However, since 2002, Nm serogroup W135 has been considered to be a major threat that has not yet been realized, and an unprecedented incidence of Nm serogroup X (NmX) meningitis was observed in 2006...
- 7-Valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccination in England and Wales: is it still beneficial despite high levels of serotype replacement?
Yoon Hong Choi
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e26190. 2011
..However, recent surveillance data show a more rapid replacement of PCV7 IPD cases by non-PCV7 IPD cases than was seen in the US...
- Serotype-specific detection of dengue viruses in a fourplex real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assay
Barbara W Johnson
Diagnostic and Reference Laboratory, Arbovirus Diseases Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3150 Rampart Rd, Fort, Collins, CO 80521
J Clin Microbiol 43:4977-83. 2005
..reverse transcriptase PCR nucleic acid detection assay can be used as a method for differential diagnosis of a specific DEN serotype in viremic dengue patients and as a tool for rapid identification and serotyping of DEN virus isolates.
- Characterization of culture-positive adenovirus serotypes from respiratory specimens in Toronto, Ontario, Canada: September 2007-June 2008
Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, Public Health Laboratories Branch, Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
Virol J 6:11. 2009
..Molecular methods allow for the determination of circulating adenovirus serotypes and be used to document the spread of highly virulent adenoviral serotypes into a region...
- Carried pneumococci in Massachusetts children: the contribution of clonal expansion and serotype switching
William P Hanage
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, UK
Pediatr Infect Dis J 30:302-8. 2011
..Vaccination against 7 serotypes of Streptococcus pneumoniae has led to the near extinction of vaccine serotypes in both disease and asymptomatic carriage. In carriage, vaccine serotypes have been replaced by nonvaccine serotypes...
- Changing epidemiology of invasive Haemophilus influenzae in Ontario, Canada: evidence for herd effects and strain replacement due to Hib vaccination
H J Adam
Department of Microbiology, Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Vaccine 28:4073-8. 2010
..Health Laboratories-Toronto, Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion, which performed almost all serotyping on invasive (blood, CSF, other sterile sites) H...
- Effectiveness of the new serotypes in the 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Health Protection Services, Colindale, Health Protection Agency, 61 Colindale Avenue, London NW9 5EQ, United Kingdom
Vaccine 29:9127-31. 2011
..VE for serotypes 1 and 3 was 62% and 66% respectively although confidence intervals spanned zero. IPD due to PCV13-only serotypes halved in children under 2 years in the study period...
- Complete genome sequence of a multiple drug resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi CT18
The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, UK
Nature 413:848-52. 2001
..typhi. CT18 harbours a 218,150-bp multiple-drug-resistance incH1 plasmid (pHCM1), and a 106,516-bp cryptic plasmid (pHCM2), which shows recent common ancestry with a virulence plasmid of Yersinia pestis...
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex genetic diversity: mining the fourth international spoligotyping database (SpolDB4) for classification, population genetics and epidemiology
Unite de la Tuberculose et des Mycobacteries, Institut Pasteur de Guadeloupe, Guadeloupe
BMC Microbiol 6:23. 2006
- Dynamic models of pneumococcal carriage and the impact of the Heptavalent Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine on invasive pneumococcal disease
DONDENA Centre for Research on Social Dynamics, Bocconi University, Via Guglielmo Rontgen, Milan, Italy
BMC Infect Dis 10:90. 2010
..However the long term effects of PCV are still unclear, as beneficial direct and herd immunity effects might be countered by serotype replacement...
- Capsular polysaccharide synthesis regions in Klebsiella pneumoniae serotype K57 and a new capsular serotype
Yi Jiun Pan
Department of Microbiology, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 46:2231-40. 2008
..PCR using primers from specific genes for K57 was more sensitive and specific than traditional serotyping. The remaining strain, A1517, did not react to the antisera from any of the 77 serotypes, and none of the 77 ..
- Epidemiological and molecular characteristics of a highly lethal pneumococcal meningitis epidemic in Burkina Faso
Centre Muraz, Bobo Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
Clin Infect Dis 43:693-700. 2006
..Public health and clinical strategies for meningitis epidemics in sub-Saharan Africa usually assume that Neisseria meningitidis infection causes most disease...
- Multiple colonization with S. pneumoniae before and after introduction of the seven-valent conjugated pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine
Silvio D Brugger
Institute for Infectious Diseases, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 5:e11638. 2010
..We studied the epidemiology of cocolonization with S. pneumoniae before and after introduction of the seven-valent conjugated pneumococcal vaccine (PCV7)...
- Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 19A in children, South Korea
Eun Hwa Choi
Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Emerg Infect Dis 14:275-81. 2008
..005 for trend). This study demonstrates that the expansion of multidrug-resistant ST320 was responsible for the increase in serotype 19A before PCV7 use...
- New patterns in the otopathogens causing acute otitis media six to eight years after introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
Janet R Casey
Department of Pediatrics, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:304-9. 2010
- Recombinant adeno-associated virus serotype 9 leads to preferential cardiac transduction in vivo
Christina A Pacak
Center for Fetal Monkey Gene Transfer for Heart, Lung and Blood Diseases, California National Primate Research Center, Davis, USA
Circ Res 99:e3-9. 2006
- Invasive disease and paediatric carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Ghana
Eric S Donkor
Department of Microbiology, University of Ghana Medical School, Accra, Ghana
Scand J Infect Dis 42:254-9. 2010
..Invasive and nasopharyngeal specimens were screened for S. pneumoniae, and isolates were subjected to serotyping, multilocus sequence typing (MLST) and antibiotic susceptibility testing. Overall, the prevalence of S...
- First report of putative Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype 6D among nasopharyngeal isolates from Fijian children
Bao an Maternity and Child Health Hospital, Shenzhen, People s Republic of China
J Infect Dis 200:1375-80. 2009
..A putative Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype, 6D, resulting from the introduction of wciN(beta) into serotype 6B has been proposed...
- Trends in patterns of dengue transmission over 4 years in a pediatric cohort study in Nicaragua
Departamento de Virologia, Centro Nacional de Diagnostico y Referencia, Ministry of Health, Nicaragua
J Infect Dis 201:5-14. 2010
..Dengue is the most prevalent mosquito-borne viral disease in humans and a major urban public health problem worldwide...
- The descriptive epidemiology of Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenzae nasopharyngeal carriage in children and adults in Kilifi district, Kenya
Wellcome Trust Kenya Medical Research Institute, Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Coast, Kilifi, Kenya
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:59-64. 2008
..In East Africa we do not know how these pathogens are transmitted between population subgroups nor which serotypes circulate commonly...
- Capsular serotype-specific attack rates and duration of carriage of Streptococcus pneumoniae in a population of children
Karen L Sleeman
University Department of Paediatrics, Oxford Vaccine Group, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, Headington, Oxford, OX3 9DU, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 194:682-8. 2006
- Supplement 2003-2007 (No. 47) to the White-Kauffmann-Le Minor scheme
Institut Pasteur, WHO Collaborating Center for Reference and Research on Salmonella, Unité de Biodiversité des Bactéries Pathogènes Emergentes, Paris, France
Res Microbiol 161:26-9. 2010
..One new serovar, Mygdal, displayed a new H factor, H:z(91)...
- Changes in pneumococcal serotypes and antibiotypes carried by vaccinated and unvaccinated day-care centre attendees in Portugal, a country with widespread use of the seven-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Oeiras, Portugal
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:1002-7. 2009
..Rates of antibiotic resistance remained unchanged due to a balance between reduction in VT and an increase in antimicrobial-resistant NVT...
- Effect of reduced-dose schedules with 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine on nasopharyngeal pneumococcal carriage in children: a randomized controlled trial
Elske J M van Gils
Department of Pediatric Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Wilhelmina Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Utrecht, PO Box 85090, 3508 AB Utrecht, The Netherlands
JAMA 302:159-67. 2009
..The effects of reduced-dose schedules of 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV-7) on pneumococcal carriage in children are largely unknown, although highly relevant in the context of subsequent herd effects...
- Relationship of preexisting dengue virus (DV) neutralizing antibody levels to viremia and severity of disease in a prospective cohort study of DV infection in Thailand
Timothy P Endy
Division of Virology, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, United States Army Medical Research and Materiel Command, Ft Detrick, Maryland, USA
J Infect Dis 189:990-1000. 2004
..Most DHF cases occur after sequential heterotypic DV infections. The role of preexisting humoral immunity in modifying severity of dengue disease is not well understood...