Genomes and Genes
Summary: The restriction of the MOVEMENT of whole or part of the body by physical means (RESTRAINT, PHYSICAL) or chemically by ANALGESIA, or the use of TRANQUILIZING AGENTS or NEUROMUSCULAR NONDEPOLARIZING AGENTS. It includes experimental protocols used to evaluate the physiologic effects of immobility.
Publications281 found, 100 shown here
- Limb immobilization induces a coordinate down-regulation of mitochondrial and other metabolic pathways in men and womenArkan Abadi
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e6518. 2009..The purpose of this study was to examine changes in global gene transcription during immobilization-induced muscle atrophy in humans and then explore the effects of the most prominent transcriptional ..
- Increased sclerostin serum levels associated with bone formation and resorption markers in patients with immobilization-induced bone lossAgostino Gaudio
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Catania, 95124 Catania, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2248-53. 2010..Sclerostin, a Wnt signaling antagonist on the osteoblasts produced by osteocytes, is regulated by mechanical strain and is implicated in the pathogenesis of disuse bone loss. There are no data on sclerostin in humans...
- Immobilization induces anabolic resistance in human myofibrillar protein synthesis with low and high dose amino acid infusionElisa I Glover
Department of Kinesiology Exercise Metabolism Research Group, McMaster University, 1280 Main St West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1, Canada
J Physiol 586:6049-61. 2008..We determined how 14 days of unilateral knee immobilization affected quadriceps myofibrillar protein synthesis (MPS) in young healthy subjects (10 men, 2 women, 21 +/- 1 ..
- The role of NF-kappaB in protein breakdown in immobilization, aging, and exercise: from basic processes to promotion of healthMarina Bar-Shai
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, P O Box 9649, Haifa 31096, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1057:431-47. 2005..The molecular mechanisms responsible for the muscle protein breakdown during immobilization in aging have been studied in our laboratory in a model of 24-month-old Wistar rats, immobilized for 4 weeks...
- Comparison of Macintosh, Truview EVO2, Glidescope, and Airwayscope laryngoscope use in patients with cervical spine immobilizationM A Malik
Department of Anaesthesia, Clinical Sciences Institute, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
Br J Anaesth 101:723-30. 2008..of the Pentax AWS, Glidescope, and the Truview EVO2, in comparison with the Macintosh laryngoscope, when performing tracheal intubation in patients with neck immobilization using manual in-line axial cervical spine stabilization.
- Mechanical conditions that accelerate intervertebral disc degeneration: overload versus immobilizationIan A F Stokes
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:2724-32. 2004A review of the literature on macromechanical factors that accelerate disc degeneration with particular focus on distinguishing the roles of immobilization and overloading.
- Immobilization stress induces BDNF in rat submandibular glandsK Tsukinoki
Department of Diagnostic Science, Division of Pathology, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaoka cho, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 238 8580, Japan
J Dent Res 85:844-8. 2006..b>Immobilization stress modifies BDNF mRNA expression in some organs...
- Chronic immobilization stress alters aspects of emotionality and associative learning in the ratGwendolyn E Wood
The Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Behav Neurosci 122:282-92. 2008..Chronic immobilization stress (CIS) induces anxiety behavior and dendritic hypertrophy in the basolateral amygdala, which persist ..
- Effects of limb immobilization on brain plasticityN Langer
Division of Neuropsychology, Institute of Psychology, and International Normal Aging and Plasticity Imaging Center, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Neurology 78:182-8. 2012..Therefore, we conducted a longitudinal study to investigate whether limb immobilization after unilateral arm injury is reflected in structural plastic changes in gray matter (cortical thickness) and ..
- Compression therapy promotes proliferative repair during rat Achilles tendon immobilizationNikos Schizas
Orthopaedic Laboratory, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, M1 02, The King Gustav V Research Building, Karolinska University Hospital 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
J Orthop Res 28:852-8. 2010Achilles tendon ruptures are treated with an initial period of immobilization, which obstructs the healing process partly by a reduction of blood circulation...
- Effects of 3 days unloading on molecular regulators of muscle size in humansT Gustafsson
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Section of Clinical Physiology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:721-7. 2010..Further, the reported difference in gene expression pattern across muscles suggests that mechanisms regulating protein content in human skeletal muscle are influenced by phenotype and/or function...
- Cone-beam CT assessment of interfraction and intrafraction setup error of two head-and-neck cancer thermoplastic masksMichael Velec
Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:949-55. 2010..To prospectively compare setup error in standard thermoplastic masks and skin-sparing masks (SSMs) modified with low neck cutouts for head-and-neck intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) patients...
- Effects of aging on human skeletal muscle after immobilization and retrainingC Suetta
Institute of Sports Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, 2400 NV Copenhagen, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:1172-80. 2009..on skeletal muscle in young individuals are well elucidated, only little is known about the consequence of immobilization and the regenerative capacity in elderly individuals...
- Submandibular glands contribute to increases in plasma BDNF levelsK Tsukinoki
Department of Maxillofacial Diagnostic Science, Division of Pathology, Kanagawa Dental College, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan
J Dent Res 86:260-4. 2007..Expression of BDNF mRNA has been identified in the submandibular glands when male rats are exposed to acute immobilization stress...
- Repositioning accuracy of two different mask systems-3D revisited: comparison using true 3D/3D matching with cone-beam CTJudit Boda-Heggemann
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mannheim Medical Center, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:1568-75. 2006..We analyzed the accuracy of commercially available head mask systems, using true 3D/3D matching, with X-ray volume imaging and cone-beam CT...
- A practical method to achieve prostate gland immobilization and target verification for daily treatmentA V D'Amico
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 51:1431-6. 2001A practical method to achieve prostate immobilization and daily target localization for external beam radiation treatment is described.
- Short-term immobilization and recovery affect skeletal muscle but not collagen tissue turnover in humansBritt Christensen
Institute of Sports Medicine Copenhagen, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, 2400 Copenhagen NV, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:1845-51. 2008Not much is known about the effects of immobilization and subsequent recovery on tendon connective tissue...
- Strength training the free limb attenuates strength loss during unilateral immobilizationJonathan P Farthing
College of Kinesiology, Univ of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:830-6. 2009The objective was to determine if strength training the free limb during a 3-wk period of unilateral immobilization attenuates strength loss in the immobilized limb through cross-education...
- Random positional variation among the skull, mandible, and cervical spine with treatment progression during head-and-neck radiotherapyPeter H Ahn
Department of Radiation Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:626-33. 2009With 54 degrees of freedom from the skull to mandible to C7, ensuring adequate immobilization for head-and-neck radiotherapy (RT) is complex. We quantify variations in skull, mandible, and cervical spine movement between RT sessions.
- Joint immobilization reduces the expression of sensory neuropeptide receptors and impairs healing after tendon rupture in a rat modelDaniel K I Bring
Section of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Orthop Res 27:274-80. 2009Healing after mobilization versus immobilization was assessed in a model of rat Achilles tendon rupture, by RT-PCR at 8 and 17 days and by histological analyses at 14 and 28 days postrupture...
- Inter- and intrafraction patient positioning uncertainties for intracranial radiotherapy: a study of four frameless, thermoplastic mask-based immobilization strategies using daily cone-beam CTErik Tryggestad
Department of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 80:281-90. 2011To determine whether frameless thermoplastic mask-based immobilization is adequate for image-guided cranial radiosurgery.
- Failure of the interosseous membrane to heal with immobilization, pinning of the distal radioulnar joint, and bipolar radial head replacement in a case of Essex-Lopresti injury: case reportHyun Sik Gong
Department of Orthopaedics, Hand and Upper Extremity Service, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam, Korea
J Hand Surg Am 35:976-80. 2010..This case demonstrates that failure of the interosseous membrane can occur even in a properly replaced bipolar radial head with adequate immobilization of the forearm and pinning of the distal radioulnar joint.
- Removing a patient from the spine board: is the lift and slide safer than the log roll?Marybeth Horodyski
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
J Trauma 70:1282-5; discussion 1285. 2011After spine board immobilization of the trauma victim and transport to the hospital, the patient is removed from the spine board as soon as practical...
- Enhancement of adenoviral gene transfer to adult rat cardiomyocytes in vivo by immobilization and ultrasound treatment of the heartM Sato
Department of Cardiac Medicine, NHLI Division, Imperial College London, UK
Gene Ther 12:936-41. 2005..Brief immobilization of the ventricle during and after injection using a haemoclip increased the number of transfected rod-shaped, ..
- Effects of cross-education on the muscle after a period of unilateral limb immobilization using a shoulder sling and swatheCharlene R A Magnus
College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, 87 Campus Dr, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5B2, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:1887-94. 2010The purpose of this study was to apply cross-education during 4 wk of unilateral limb immobilization using a shoulder sling and swathe to investigate the effects on muscle strength, muscle size, and muscle activation...
- Short-term immobilization after eccentric exercise. Part II: creatine kinase and myoglobinStephen P Sayers
Human Physiology Laboratory, Department of Health Sciences, Boston University, Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, 635 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:762-8. 2003..We previously found short-term immobilization blunted the rise in plasma CK after eccentric exercise, suggesting subsequent movement of damaged muscle may ..
- Muscle atrophy in immobilization and senescence in humansAndrew J Murton
Centre for Integrated Systems Biology and Medicine, School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Curr Opin Neurol 22:500-5. 2009..the mechanisms thought to be responsible for the determination of muscle mass during health, ageing and immobilization in humans have presented findings that have wide ranging implications...
- Effects of aging on muscle mechanical function and muscle fiber morphology during short-term immobilization and subsequent retrainingLars Hvid
Institute of Sports Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital and Center of Healthy Aging, Faculty of Health Science, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 109:1628-34. 2010..Thus the purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of 2 wk of immobilization followed by 4 wk of retraining on knee extensor muscle mechanical function (e.g...
- Anabolic resistance: the effects of aging, sexual dimorphism, and immobilization on human muscle protein turnoverMichael J Rennie
University of Nottingham, School of Graduate Entry Medicine and Health, City Hospital, Derby, DE22 3DT, UK
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 34:377-81. 2009..Exercise may retune the amino acid and (or) insulin sensitivity of muscle in older people...
- Single and repeated immobilization stress differentially trigger induction and phosphorylation of several transcription factors and mitogen-activated protein kinases in the rat locus coeruleusMeleik A Hebert
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
J Neurochem 95:484-98. 2005..Rats were exposed to single or repeated immobilization stress (IMO) for brief (5 min), intermediate (30 min) or sustained (2 h) duration...
- An inexpensive and simple method for thermally stable immobilization of DNA on an unmodified glass surface: UV linking of poly(T)10-poly(C)10-tagged DNA probesHaukur Gudnason
DTU Nanotech, Department of Micro and Nanotechnology, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
Biotechniques 45:261-71. 2008..In conclusion, our results show that using TC-tagged DNA probes immobilized on an unmodified glass surface is a robust, heat-stable, very simple, and inexpensive method for manufacturing DNA microarrays...
- Robotic-based carbon ion therapy and patient positioning in 6 degrees of freedom: setup accuracy of two standard immobilization devices used in carbon ion therapy and IMRTAlexandra D Jensen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Heidelberg, INF 400, Heidelberg 69120, Germany
Radiat Oncol 7:51. 2012..particle radiotherapy in 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) and intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT, 3 DOF) for two immobilization devices (Scotchcast masks vs thermoplastic head masks) currently in use at our institution for fractionated ..
- Contrasting roles of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor in the production of immobilization by conventional and aromatic anestheticsEdmond I Eger
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0464, USA
Anesth Analg 102:1397-406. 2006..We conclude that some aromatic anesthetics may produce immobility in the face of noxious stimulation by blocking the action of glutamate on NMDA receptors but that conventional inhaled anesthetics do not...
- Immobilization-induced and crowded environment-induced stress delay barrier recovery in murine skinM Denda
Life Science Research Laboratories, Shiseido Research Center 2, Yokohama, Japan
Br J Dermatol 138:780-5. 1998To examine the effect of stress on skin homeostasis, cutaneous barrier recovery was measured in rate exposed to immobilization stress after tape stripping or sodium dodecyl sulphate treatment...
- Neural responses in rat brain during acute immobilization stress: a [F-18]FDG micro PET imaging studyKang Keyng Sung
Department of Neuroscience and Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, South Korea
Neuroimage 44:1074-80. 2009..Animals were given immobilization stress for 1 or 2 h, or 1-h stress followed by 1-h recovery, after which their brains were scanned...
- Exercise and immobilization in aging animals: the involvement of oxidative stress and NF-kappaB activationMarina Bar-Shai
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, P O Box 9649, Haifa 31096, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 44:202-14. 2008..Its involvement in exercise and immobilization has been demonstrated in several studies, indicating that these conditions may lead to inflammatory responses ..
- Comparison of setup accuracy of three different thermoplastic masks for the treatment of brain and head and neck tumorsL Gilbeau
Radiation Oncology Department, , St-Luc University Hospital, 10 Ave. Hippocrate, B-1200 Brussels, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 58:155-62. 2001..The purpose of this study was to compare the setup accuracy of three different thermoplastic masks used for immobilization of patients with brain or head and neck tumors...
- Low-volume resistance exercise attenuates the decline in strength and muscle mass associated with immobilizationBryan R Oates
Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada
Muscle Nerve 42:539-46. 2010..of low-volume resistance exercise (EX) for the attenuation of loss of muscle mass and strength during leg immobilization. Men (N = 5) and women (N = 12, age 24 ± 5 years, body mass index 25.4 ± 3...
- Immediate-early gene response to repeated immobilization: Fos protein and arc mRNA levels appear to be less sensitive than c-fos mRNA to adaptationSheila Ons
Department of Cellular Biology, Physiology and Immunology, Institute of Neuroscience and Animal Physiology Unit, School of Biosciences, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Neurosci 31:2043-52. 2010..and arc (activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein) after repeated exposure to a severe stressor: immobilization on wooden boards (IMO)...
- Identification of ubiquitin ligases required for skeletal muscle atrophyS C Bodine
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, 777 Old Saw Mill River Road, Tarrytown, NY, 10591 6707, USA
Science 294:1704-8. 2001..Overexpression of MAFbx in myotubes produced atrophy, whereas mice deficient in either MAFbx or MuRF1 were found to be resistant to atrophy. These proteins are potential drug targets for the treatment of muscle atrophy...
- Acute treatment of inversion ankle sprains: immobilization versus functional treatmentMorgan H Jones
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 455:169-72. 2007..We conducted a systematic review of the literature to evaluate the effect of immobilization versus early functional treatment on time to return to preinjury activity after inversion ankle sprain...
- Chronic immobilization stress induces anxiety- and depression-like behaviors and decreases transthyretin in the mouse cortexYeon Joo
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Institute of Health Sciences, School of Medicine, Gyeongsang National University, 92 Chilam dong, Jinju 660 751, Republic of Korea
Neurosci Lett 461:121-5. 2009..Mice were subjected to immobilization stress for 2h per day for 15 consecutive days and the behavior of the mice was examined...
- Tracheal intubation in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a comparison of the Airwayscope, LMA CTrach, and the Macintosh laryngoscopesM A Malik
Department of Anaesthesia, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
Br J Anaesth 102:654-61. 2009..the effectiveness of the Pentax AWS, and the LMA CTrach, in comparison with the Macintosh laryngoscope, when performing tracheal intubation in patients with neck immobilization using manual in-line axial cervical spine stabilization.
- The adaptive responses in several mediators linked with hypertrophy and atrophy of skeletal muscle after lower limb unloading in humansK Sakuma
Research Center for Physical Fitness, Sports and Health, Toyohashi University of Technology, Toyohashi, Japan
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 197:151-9. 2009....
- Out-of-hospital spinal immobilization: its effect on neurologic injuryM Hauswald
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of New Mexico, School of Medicine, Albuquerque 87131 5246, USA
Acad Emerg Med 5:214-9. 1998To examine the effect of emergency immobilization on neurologic outcome of patients who have blunt traumatic spinal injuries.
- Sub-cellular precision on-chip small-animal immobilization, multi-photon imaging and femtosecond-laser manipulationFei Zeng
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Lab Chip 8:653-6. 2008Techniques for stable, rapid and repeatable small-animal immobilization are necessary for high-throughput in vivo genetic/drug screens using cellular and sub-cellular features in multi-cellular organisms...
- Polyethylenimine-grafted multiwalled carbon nanotubes for secure noncovalent immobilization and efficient delivery of DNAYe Liu
Institute of Materials Research and Engineering, 3 Research Link, Singapore 117602, Singapore
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 44:4782-5. 2005
- c-Fos expression induced by electroacupuncture at the Zusanli point in rats submitted to repeated immobilizationM A Medeiros
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Seropedica, RJ, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 36:1673-84. 2003..Repeated immobilization protocols (6 days, 1 h/day and 13 days, 2 h/day) were used to reduce the effect of acute immobilization stress ..
- Interfractional set-up errors evaluation by daily electronic portal imaging of IMRT in head and neck cancer patientsBerrin Pehlivan
Department of Radiation Oncology, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Acta Oncol 48:440-5. 2009..We aimed to evaluate whether a daily PI is worthwhile and we derived the Planning Target Volume (PTV) margins from the estimation of systematic and random errors...
- Incidence of and risk factors for complications associated with halo-vest immobilization: a prospective, descriptive cohort study of 239 patientsJoost J van Middendorp
Department of Orthopaedics, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Radboud University Nijmegen, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:71-9. 2009Since high rates of serious complications, such as death and pneumonia, during halo-vest immobilization have been reported, there has been a tendency of restraint with regard to the use of the halo vest...
- Immobilization stress reduced the expression of neurotrophins and their receptors in the rat brainT Ueyama
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Wakayama Medical College, Japan
Neurosci Res 28:103-10. 1997..Male Wistar rats (6 weeks old) were exposed to immobilization stress for 8 h and their brains were processed for in situ hybridization histochemistry...
- Modulatory effects of norepinephrine, acting on alpha 1 receptors in the central nucleus of the amygdala, on behavioral and neuroendocrine responses to acute immobilization stressMarco Cecchi
The University of Michigan, Mental Health Research Institute, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0720, USA
Neuropharmacology 43:1139-47. 2002..microinjected bilaterally into CeA of male Sprague-Dawley rats, and anxiety-like behavioral responses to acute immobilization stress were measured on the Social Interaction (SI) test and on the Elevated Plus-maze (EPMZ)...
- Tracheal intubation with videolaryngoscopes in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a randomized trial of the Airway Scope and the GlideScopeE H C Liu
Department of Anaesthesia, National University Health System, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Br J Anaesth 103:446-51. 2009..We tested this hypothesis in a randomized comparison of the two videolaryngoscopes in patients whose cervical spines were immobilized...
- Acute physical stress elevates mouse period1 mRNA expression in mouse peripheral tissues via a glucocorticoid-responsive elementTakuro Yamamoto
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Suita, Osaka 565 0874, Japan
J Biol Chem 280:42036-43. 2005....
- Effects of lactoferrin on the immune response modified by the immobilization stressMichał Zimecki
Laboratory of Immunobiology, Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, Polish Academy of Sciences, R Weigla 12, PL 53 114 Wrocław, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 57:811-7. 2005..of orally administered lactoferrin (LF) on the cellular and humoral immune responses in mice subjected to immobilization stress (IS) were investigated...
- A new method of immobilization after traumatic anterior dislocation of the shoulder: a preliminary studyEiji Itoi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Akita University School of Medicine, Hondo, Akita, Japan
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 12:413-5. 2003This preliminary prospective study was conducted to determine whether immobilization with the arm in external rotation would decrease the rate of recurrence after initial traumatic anterior dislocation of the shoulder...
- Accurate setup of paraspinal patients using a noninvasive patient immobilization cradle and portal imagingD Michael Lovelock
Department of Medical Physics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
Med Phys 32:2606-14. 2005..doses requires highly conformal dose distributions, accurate patient setup, setup verification, and patient immobilization. An immobilization cradle has been designed to facilitate the rapid setup and radiation treatment of patients ..
- The Fracture and Immobilization Score (FRISC) for risk assessment of osteoporotic fracture and immobilization in postmenopausal women--A joint analysis of the Nagano, Miyama, and Taiji CohortsShiro Tanaka
Division of Clinical Trial Design and Management, Translational Research Center, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
Bone 47:1064-70. 2010We aimed to (i) explore risk factors for major osteoporotic fracture or immobilization; (ii) develop a prediction model that can be used to assess the risk of fracture and immobilization; and (iii) assess external validity of the final ..
- Motion within the unstable cervical spine during patient maneuvering: the neck pivot-shift phenomenonRan Lador
Spine Research Laboratory, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Administration Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Trauma 70:247-50; discussion 250-1. 2011..Little is known about the biomechanics of cervical stabilization; hence, it is difficult to develop and test improved immobilization strategies.
- Different effects of novel stressors on sympathoadrenal system activation in rats exposed to long-term immobilizationSladjana Dronjak
Institute of Vinca, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro, P O Box 522 090, 11001 Belgrade
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1018:113-23. 2004..levels of catecholamines (CA) and corticosterone (COR) of rats after a single (2-h) or long-term repeated immobilization (41 times, 2 h daily) and in rats adapted to long-term immobilization exposed once to the novel stress of cold ..
- A comparison of carfentanil/xylazine and Telazol/xylazine for immobilization of white-tailed deerBrad F Miller
Department of Forestry, Wildlife and Fisheries, University of Tennessee, 274 Ellington Hall, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996, USA
J Wildl Dis 39:851-8. 2003..From this study, we selected a dose of carfentanil/xylazine for the purpose of comparing immobilization parameters and physiologic effects with those of a combination of tiletamine and zolazepam (Telazol) and ..
- Immobilization and splinting in mountain rescue. Official Recommendations of the International Commission for Mountain Emergency Medicine, ICAR MEDCOM, Intended for Mountain Rescue First Responders, Physicians, and Rescue OrganizationsJohn Ellerton
Mountain Rescue Council, England and Wales, Penrith, Cumbria, England
High Alt Med Biol 10:337-42. 2009b>Immobilization and splinting of fractures are essential to reduce morbidity and mortality in mountain rescue...
- Quercetin protects against acute immobilization stress-induced behaviors and biochemical alterations in miceAnil Kumar
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
J Med Food 11:469-73. 2008..The present study was designed to investigate protective effects of quercetin, a bioflavonoid, against acute immobilization-induced behavioral and biochemical alterations in mice. Mice were immobilized for a period of 6 hours...
- Spine immobilization in penetrating trauma: more harm than good?Elliott R Haut
Division of Acute Care Surgery, Department of Surgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 North Wolfe Street, 625 Osler, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Trauma 68:115-20; discussion 120-1. 2010Previous studies have suggested that prehospital spine immobilization provides minimal benefit to penetrating trauma patients but takes valuable time, potentially delaying definitive trauma care...
- Setup reproducibility for thoracic and upper gastrointestinal radiation therapy: Influence of immobilization method and on-line cone-beam CT guidanceWinnie Li
Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Dosim 35:287-96. 2010..report the setup reproducibility of thoracic and upper gastrointestinal (UGI) radiotherapy (RT) patients for 2 immobilization methods evaluated through cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) image guidance, and present planning target ..
- Vibration training intervention to maintain cartilage thickness and serum concentrations of cartilage oligometric matrix protein (COMP) during immobilizationA M Liphardt
Institute of Aerospace Medicine, Deutsches Zentrum fur Luft und Raumfahrt, DLR, Cologne, Germany
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 17:1598-603. 2009To test the hypotheses that 1) 14-days of immobilization of young healthy subjects using a 6 degrees -"head-down-tilt-bed-rest"-model (6 degrees -HDT) would reduce cartilage thickness in the knee and serum Cartilage oligometric matrix ..
- Generation of live-cell microarrays by means of DNA-Directed immobilization of specific cell-surface ligandsHendrik Schroeder
Biologisch Chemische Mikrostrukturtechnik, Fachbereich Chemie, Universitat Dortmund, Dortmund, Germany
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 46:4180-3. 2007
- Sequential changes in transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta1 concentration in synovial fluid and mRNA expression of TGF-beta1 receptors in chondrocytes after immobilization of rabbit kneesR Okazaki
Department of Radiation Biology and Health, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 19:228-35. 2001..in synovial fluid and the mRNA expression of TGF-beta1 receptor type I (RI) and II (RII) in chondrocytes after immobilization. The combination of TGF-beta1 and bFGF had a synergistic effect on the proliferation of chondrocytes obtained ..
- Setup uncertainties of anatomical sub-regions in head-and-neck cancer patients after offline CBCT guidanceSimon van Kranen
Department of Radiation Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:1566-73. 2009..To quantify local geometrical uncertainties in anatomical sub-regions during radiotherapy for head-and-neck cancer patients...
- Deficiency of antinociception and excessive grooming induced by acute immobilization stress in Per1 mutant miceJing Zhang
Behavioral Genetics Centre, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e16212. 2011..In the present study we observed the alterations in grooming and nociceptive behaviors induced by acute immobilization stress in Per1 mutant mice and other genotypes (wild types and Per2 mutant)...
- Central nervous adaptations following 1 wk of wrist and hand immobilizationJesper Lundbye-Jensen
Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, University of Copenhagen, Panum Institute 22 3, Blegdamsvej 3, Copenhagen 2200, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 105:139-51. 2008..but little is known about central nervous system plasticity accompanying reduced physical activity and immobilization. In the present study we investigated whether plastic neural changes occur in relation to 1 wk of ..
- Kinetics and persistence of cardiovascular and locomotor effects of immobilization stress and influence of ACTH treatmentEsther L Sabban
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, N Y 10595, USA
Neuroendocrinology 89:98-108. 2009..Here, we examine the kinetics and persistence of cardiovascular and locomotor responses to single and repeated immobilization stress (IMO), with and without prior treatment with adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH)...
- The effect of a low dose of clenbuterol on rat soleus muscle submitted to joint immobilizationK M Cancelliero
Departamento de Fisioterapia, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, Sao Carlos, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 41:1054-8. 2008The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effect of joint immobilization on morphometric parameters and glycogen content of soleus muscle treated with clenbuterol...
- Comparison of repositioning accuracy of two commercially available immobilization systems for treatment of head-and-neck tumors using simulation computed tomography imagingRonny L Rotondo
Department of Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:1389-96. 2008To compare the setup accuracy, comfort level, and setup time of two immobilization systems used in head-and-neck radiotherapy.
- Assessment of a customised immobilisation system for head and neck IMRT using electronic portal imagingMandy Humphreys
Radiotherapy Department, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Radiother Oncol 77:39-44. 2005..To evaluate set-up reproducibility of a cabulite shell and determine CTV-PTV margins for head and neck intensity-modulated-radiotherapy...
- Impact of viral-mediated IGF-I gene transfer on skeletal muscle following cast immobilizationJennifer E Stevens-Lapsley
Dept of Physical Therapy, Univ of Florida, Gainesville, 32610, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 299:E730-40. 2010..on the recovery of muscle size and function during reloading/reambulation after a period of cast immobilization in predominantly fast twitch muscles...
- Improved immobilization using an individual head support in head and neck cancer patientsAntonetta C Houweling
Department of Radiotherapy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 96:100-3. 2010The benefits of a patient-specific head support, developed to improve immobilization during radiotherapy, were determined in head and neck cancer patients. Cone-beam CTs were registered to the planning CT in five regions...
- [Comparison of two different laryngeal mask models for airway management in patients with immobilization of the cervical spine]C Gernoth
Universitätsklinik für Anästhesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Universitatsklinikum, Mannheim del berg de
Anaesthesist 55:263-9. 2006..Supraglottic airway devices can be important alternatives for oxygenation under these circumstances. The Ambu laryngeal mask (ALM) and the LMA-Classic (LMA) are compared in patients with immobilization of the cervical spine.
- Intra- and interfractional patient motion for a variety of immobilization devicesMartijn Engelsman
Northeast Proton Therapy Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Department of Radiation Oncology, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Med Phys 32:3468-74. 2005The magnitude of inter- and intrafractional patient motion has been assessed for a broad set of immobilization devices...
- A comparison of two immobilization systems for stereotactic body radiation therapy of lung tumorsKathy Han
Department of Radiation Oncology, Odette Cancer Center, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4N 3M5
Radiother Oncol 95:103-8. 2010This study aims to compare the efficacy, efficiency and comfort level of two immobilization systems commonly used in lung stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT): the Bodyfix and the abdominal compression plate (ACP).
- Modification of Gill-Thomas-Cosman frame for extracranial head-and-neck stereotactic radiotherapyAlireza Kassaee
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57:1192-5. 2003....
- Immobilization stress-induced thymocyte apoptosis in ratsK Hatanaka
Department of Forensic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Life Sci 69:155-65. 2001b>Immobilization of rats is a well known model of emotional stress. We studied apoptosis in rat thymocytes during immobilization for 2-8 hours (h)...
- Effect of electroacupuncture on response to immobilization stressChae H Yang
Department of Physiology, College of Oriental Medicine, Kyungsan University, Taegu, South Korea
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 72:847-55. 2002Forced immobilization is a simple and effective stressor which produces large increases in heart rate (HR), blood pressure (BP), and plasma levels of norepinephrine (NE) and epinephrine (EPI)...
- Acute immobilization stress induces clinical and neuroimmunological alterations in experimental murine cutaneous leishmaniasisM R Ruiz
Laboratorio de Biologia Molecular, Instituto de Biomedicina, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Apartado 4043, Caracas 1010 A, Venezuela
Br J Dermatol 149:731-8. 2003..In American cutaneous leishmaniasis, we have shown the importance of the epidermis as a regulatory site, with the key participation of Langerhans cells...
- The effect of acute immobilization stress on the abundance of corticotropin-releasing factor receptor in lymphoid organsM Radulovic
Department of Molecular Neuroendocrinology, Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine, Goettingen, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 103:153-64. 2000..We demonstrate here that immobilization, a predominantly psychological stress, exhibited a similar effect...
- Immediate mobilization gives good results in boxer's fractures with volar angulation up to 70 degrees: a prospective randomized trial comparing immediate mobilization with cast immobilizationMarkwin G Statius Muller
Department of Surgery, Sint Lucas Andreas Hospital, Jan Tooropstraat 164, 1061 AE, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 123:534-7. 2003..Therefore, the aim of our study was to compare randomly and prospectively the results of an immobilization treatment for 3 weeks with cast with a functional treatment, all with accepted angulations up to 70 degrees.
- Treatment of complete rupture of the lateral ligaments of the ankle: a randomized clinical trial comparing cast immobilization with functional treatmentJordi Ardèvol
Orthopedic Surgery Department, Hospital de Mataro, C de Cirera s n Mataró, 08304 Barcelona, Spain
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 10:371-7. 2002This study compared the therapeutic efficacy between cast immobilization and functional treatment of grade III ruptures of the lateral ankle ligaments...
- Physical and inflammatory stressors elevate circadian clock gene mPer1 mRNA levels in the paraventricular nucleus of the mouseS Takahashi
Department of Pharmacology and Brain Science, School of Human Sciences, Waseda University, Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan 359-1192
Endocrinology 142:4910-7. 2001..Forced swimming, immobilization, and lipopolysaccharide injection elevated mPer1 gene expression in the PVN but not in the SCN or liver...
- Immobilization impairs tactile perception and shrinks somatosensory cortical mapsSilke Lissek
Department of Neurology, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University, D 44780 Bochum, Germany
Curr Biol 19:837-42. 2009..Here, we report that a few weeks of hand and arm immobilization by cast wearing significantly reduced hand use and impaired tactile acuity, associated with reduced activation ..
- Changes in angiotensin AT1 receptor mRNA levels in the rat brain after immobilization stress and inhibition of central nitric oxide synthaseA Kiss
Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, 833 06 Bratislava, Slovakia
Endocr Regul 35:65-70. 2001To study functional interactions between angiotensin II AT1 receptors and nitric oxide (NO) activity in different brain areas in rats exposed to immobilization stress.
- Effect of water activity and immobilization on fatty acid selectivity for esterification reactions mediated by lipasesC H Lee
Department of Food Science, University of Wisconsin, Babcock Hall, 1605 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 75:219-27. 2001The effect of water activity (a(w)) and immobilization on fatty acid (FA) selectivity of Burkholderia (formerly Pseudomonas) cepacia, Rhizomucor miehei, Candida antarctica (type B), and Candida rugosa lipases in esterification reactions ..
- The out-of-hospital validation of the Canadian C-Spine Rule by paramedicsChristian Vaillancourt
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ann Emerg Med 54:663-671.e1. 2009..This study prospectively evaluates the performance characteristics, reliability, and clinical sensibility of the Canadian C-Spine Rule when used by paramedics in the out-of-hospital setting...
- Deficit in human muscle strength with cast immobilization: contribution of inorganic phosphateNeeti C Pathare
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 98:71-8. 2006Metabolic factors have been proposed to explain strength deficits observed in skeletal muscle with immobilization that are not completely accounted for by changes in muscle cross-sectional area (CSA) and neural adaptations...
- Effects of head immobilization on the coordination and control of head and body reorientation and translation during steeringM A Hollands
Neural Control Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1, Canada
Exp Brain Res 140:223-33. 2001....
- Passive stretching does not enhance outcomes in patients with plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture: a randomized controlled trialAnne M Moseley
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, PO Box 170, Lidcombe NSW 1825, Sydney, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1118-26. 2005To compare the efficacy of short- and long-duration passive stretches with a control treatment for the management of plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture.
- Remifentanil for fetal immobilization and maternal sedation during fetoscopic surgery: a randomized, double-blind comparison with diazepamMarc Van de Velde
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Anesth Analg 101:251-8, table of contents. 2005..In the absence of general anesthesia, fetal immobilization is not achieved...
- Bone mineral and geometric changes through the femur with immobilization due to spinal cord injuryB J Kiratli
Spinal Cord Injury Center, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, CA 94304, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 37:225-33. 2000..and geometric properties of the midshaft and distal femur in a control population and examines effects of immobilization due to spinal cord injury (SCI) at these skeletal sites...
- Incomplete restoration of immobilization induced softening of young beagle knee articular cartilage after 50-week remobilizationJ Haapala
Department of Surgery, University of Kuopio, Finland
Int J Sports Med 21:76-81. 2000..was to characterize the biomechanical and structural changes in canine knee cartilage after an initial 11-week immobilization and subsequent remobilization period of 50 weeks...
- Changes in muscle strength, muscle fibre size and myofibrillar gene expression after immobilization and retraining in humansT Hortobagyi
Biomechanics Laboratory and Departments of Biochemistry and Physical Therapy, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
J Physiol 524:293-304. 2000..and myosin heavy-chain (MyoHC) gene expression were examined in 48 men and women following 3 weeks of knee immobilization and after 12 weeks of retraining with 1866 eccentric, concentric or mixed contractions. 2...
- Early functional treatment versus early immobilization in tension of the musculotendinous unit after Achilles rupture repair: a prospective, randomized, clinical studyJarmo Kangas
Department of Surgery, Oulu University Hospital, Finland
J Trauma 54:1171-80; discussion 1180-1. 2003..clinical study was to compare two postoperative regimens after Achilles rupture repair and determine whether early functional treatment will give a better result than early immobilization in tension of the musculotendinous unit.
- Dose-dependent effects of chemical immobilization on the heart rate of embryonic zebrafishMichael P Craig
Department of Genome Science, Genome Research Institute, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45237, USA
Lab Anim (NY) 35:41-7. 2006..The results of this study empirically define, for the first time, effective, minimally stressful treatments for immobilization and in vivo visualization during early zebrafish development.
- The Prevalence of Blood Pressure Abnormalities among Veterans with SCIJill Wecht; Fiscal Year: 2009..SCI require additional health care, which may be related to the degree of neurologic impairment or to chronic immobilization secondary to skeletal muscle paralysis...
- Mapping for Specialized Domains for FCeRI Signaling & InternalizationBridget S Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2010..for calcium flux, secretory response and cytokine production will correlate functional responses with receptor immobilization, clustering and desensitization...
- Mapping for Specialized Domains for FCeRI Signaling & InternalizationBridget Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2009..for calcium flux, secretory response and cytokine production will correlate functional responses with receptor immobilization, clustering and desensitization...
- Restraint stress-induced neurogenic bladder inflammationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2005..molecules in response to allergic triggers, as well as by direct nerve stimulation and by acute immobilization stress...
- Restraint stress-induced neurogenic bladder inflammationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2004..molecules in response to allergic triggers, as well as by direct nerve stimulation and by acute immobilization stress...
- Restraint stress-induced neurogenic bladder inflammationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2003..molecules in response to allergic triggers, as well as by direct nerve stimulation and by acute immobilization stress...
- Restraint stress-induced neurogenic bladder inflammationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2006
- HYALURONIC ACID/TGF-B COMPOSITE TO TREAT OSTEOARTHRITISSTEVEN KINCAID; Fiscal Year: 1991..Joint Immobilization Study: Atrophic articular cartilage containing chondrocytes with minimal synthetic activity will be produced ..
- Polarization and directed cell movements in engineered cellular environmentsDeborah Leckband; Fiscal Year: 2009..team possesses core competencies in microfabrication (Nuzzo), surface modification and protein immobilization (Leckband), biochemical/cell biological techniques (Wang), as well as expertise in cadherin biology (Leckband) ..
- Polarization and directed cell movements in engineered cellular environmentsDeborah E Leckband; Fiscal Year: 2010..team possesses core competencies in microfabrication (Nuzzo), surface modification and protein immobilization (Leckband), biochemical/cell biological techniques (Wang), as well as expertise in cadherin biology (Leckband) ..
- Stress Induces Skin Mast Cell Activation & VasodilationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2004..triggers, mast cells can also be activated by direct nerve stimulation, by neuropeptides, and by acute immobilization stress through the local release of corticotropin releasing hormone (CRH) or urocortin (Ucn), which is more ..
- Stress Induces Skin Mast Cell Activation & VasodilationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2005..triggers, mast cells can also be activated by direct nerve stimulation, by neuropeptides, and by acute immobilization stress through the local release of corticotropin releasing hormone (CRH) or urocortin (Ucn), which is more ..
- Stress Induces Skin Mast Cell Activation & VasodilationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2001..triggers, mast cells can also be activated by direct nerve stimulation, by neuropeptides, and by acute immobilization stress through the local release of corticotropin releasing hormone (CRH) or urocortin (Ucn), which is more ..
- Stress Induces Skin Mast Cell Activation & VasodilationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2002
- Stress Induces Skin Mast Cell Activation & VasodilationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2003
- Microfluidic-microtiter interface for rapid large-scale screenings of C. elegansAdela Ben Yakar; Fiscal Year: 2010..Two of our recent technological innovations, ultrafast laser nanosurgery and microfluidics immobilization have made it feasible to study axonal regeneration in this genetically tractable model organism...
- Microfluidic-microtiter interface for rapid large-scale screenings of C. elegansAdela Ben Yakar; Fiscal Year: 2009..Two of our recent technological innovations, ultrafast laser nanosurgery and microfluidics immobilization have made it feasible to study axonal regeneration in this genetically tractable model organism...
- Integrated Microfluidics for Nerve Regeneration Studies using Laser Nano-AxotomyAdela Ben Yakar; Fiscal Year: 2007..This microfluidic trap will facilitate the appropriate immobilization of the animals for precision nanosurgery of axons using femtosecond laser pulses and for imaging the re-growth ..
- CORTICOTROPIN RELEASING HORMONE INDUCED DURA MAST CELL ATheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 1999..Acute psychological stress by immobilization triggered dura mast cell degranulation and resulted in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) increase of rat mast cell ..
- Glucocorticoid control of gene expression during skeletal muscle atrophyJ DAVID contact FURLOW; Fiscal Year: 2010..David Skeletal muscle wasting, or atrophy, is a major human health concern. Immobilization, nerve damage, cachexia, sepsis, and aging induce significant and potentially life-threatening losses in ..
- CORTICOTROPIN RELEASING HORMONE INDUCED DURA MAST CELL ATheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2001..Acute psychological stress by immobilization triggered dura mast cell degranulation and resulted in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) increase of rat mast cell ..
- CORTICOTROPIN RELEASING HORMONE INDUCED DURA MAST CELL ATheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2000..Acute psychological stress by immobilization triggered dura mast cell degranulation and resulted in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) increase of rat mast cell ..
- Muscle Wasting in UremiaRalph Rabkin; Fiscal Year: 2009..normal and end-stage CKD patients, CKD rats with muscle wasting, and CKD rats with disuse atrophy induced by immobilization. Specific Aim 1. To evaluate the effect of uremia on GH mediated signal transduction in human skeletal muscle...
- Tear-Resistant and Elastic Tissue Adhesive for Craniofacial ApplicationsSILVIA D LUEBBEN; Fiscal Year: 2012..cannot be used to repair deep dermal cuts or to close wounds that are under tensions unless sutures and/or immobilization are also used...
- Realtime Monitoring of Trace Amounts of Pesticides from Water Using CarboANNE M contact SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to use carbon nanotube matrices as the active biosensor area for the effective immobilization of the pesticides through antibody based conjugation...
- Heat shock proteins and disuse muscle atrophyAndrew Judge; Fiscal Year: 2009..summary/Abstract Skeletal muscle disuse atrophy is a widespread physiological phenomenon associated with immobilization, bed rest, denervation, and space flight, or any general reduction in weight bearing activity...
- Heat shock proteins and disuse muscle atrophyANDREW ROBERT JUDGE; Fiscal Year: 2010..summary/Abstract Skeletal muscle disuse atrophy is a widespread physiological phenomenon associated with immobilization, bed rest, denervation, and space flight, or any general reduction in weight bearing activity...
- JOINT CONTRACTURE: BIOMECHANICAL-CHEMICAL CORRELATESWayne Akeson; Fiscal Year: 1980..of fibrous connective tissue have been demonstrated in experimental joint contractures as a result of immobilization. These changes were uniformly observed in ligaments, tendons, fascia and capsular tissue of the knee joint...
- Adaptive High Intensity Electrical Stimulation for Post-Surgical RehabilitationEric Hartman; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Recovery of quadriceps muscle force following post-surgical knee immobilization is a significant therapeutic aim which is associated with quality of gait and the ability to perform activities of daily ..
- Adaptive High Intensity Electrical Stimulation for Post-Surgical RehabilitationEric Hartman; Fiscal Year: 2007Recovery of quadriceps muscle force following post-surgical knee immobilization is a significant therapeutic aim which is associated with quality of gait and the ability to perform activities of daily living...
- REGULATION OF SKELETAL MUSCLE METABOLISMLeonard S Jefferson; Fiscal Year: 2011..lead to loss of muscle mass including sedentary life styles, chronic bed rest, casting, limb suspension, and immobilization. Each of these inactivity-related conditions is thought to share a common feature, i.e...
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2006..Heparan sulfate proteoglycans participate in a variety of physiological processes by binding, activation or immobilization of various protein ligands...
- Development of a 3D mammotomograph with novel techniques to overcome limitationsRandolph L McKinley; Fiscal Year: 2010..cancer patients for three purposes: (1) evaluation of a developed simple mechanism for uncompressed breast immobilization and biopsy capability;(2) evaluation of modified system on women of varying breast and body sizes to confirm ..
- Novel Chelators for Highly Efficient Removal of Toxic Heavy Metals in HumansCharles Timchalk; Fiscal Year: 2009..Since the 1940s, in vivo toxic metal immobilization has involved the use of ethylenediamine-tetraacetate (EDTA) or dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) following metal ..
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2000..Heparan sulfate proteoglycans participate in a variety of physiological processes by binding, activation or immobilization of various protein ligands...
- Development of a 3D mammotomograph with novel techniques to overcome limitationsRANDOLPH MCKINLEY; Fiscal Year: 2009..cancer patients for three purposes: (1) evaluation of a developed simple mechanism for uncompressed breast immobilization and biopsy capability;(2) evaluation of modified system on women of varying breast and body sizes to confirm ..
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2001..Heparan sulfate proteoglycans participate in a variety of physiological processes by binding, activation or immobilization of various protein ligands...
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2003
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2000
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2002
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2003
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2004
- SYNAPTIC MECHANISMS OF GENERAL ANESTHETIC ACTIONHugh C Hemmings; Fiscal Year: 2011..of anesthetic action is insufficient to explain how any anesthetic produces amnesia, unconsciousness or immobilization (with increasing doses), the cardinal features of general anesthesia...
- Phase 2 REAL-TIME MONITORING OF TRACE AMOUNTS OF PESTICIDES IN WATER AND FOOD USIANNE M SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..We propose to further develop the carbon nanotube matrices active biosensor area for effective immobilization of multiple pesticides, as well as preservation and manufacturing specifications of the sensors...
- EFFECTS OF IMMOBILIZATION OF BONE & MINERAL HOMEOSTASISRussell Turner; Fiscal Year: 1992Disuse causes osteolysis of the skeleton, with attendant hypercalcemia, hypercalciuria and osteoporosis. Immobilization with a cast and stress shielding by an orthopedic implant result in localized bone loss...
- Bioadhesive Membrane Construct for Hernia RepairYURI WILLIAM NOVITSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010..Equally important, effective immobilization of the mesh against the abdominal wall is critical to hernia repair success...
- Bioadhesive Membrane Construct for Hernia RepairBruce Lee; Fiscal Year: 2009..Equally important, effective immobilization of the mesh against the abdominal wall is critical to hernia repair success...
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey D Esko; Fiscal Year: 2010
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2009
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Microbubble Infused Hydrogels for Cartilage Tissue EngineeringClark T Hung; Fiscal Year: 2012..generates micropores that are homogeneously distributed within the gels, while enabling the direct ab initio immobilization of cels within the gels...
- HYBRID ARTIFICIAL LIVER USING IMMOBILIZED HEPATOCYTESRonald Tompkins; Fiscal Year: 1990The objective is the immobilization of hepatocytes for use in an artificial liver device. Hepatocytes will be isolated by established techniques using collagenase digestion and immobilized in a sodium alginate gel matrix...
- Myofilament Protein Isoforms in Neuromuscular ReflexJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2004..It has been found that spastic muscles have increased type I (slow) fibers. Cerebral palsy, joint immobilization and tenotomy, three very different original conditions which cause muscle contracture, have a common ..
- Myofilament Protein Isoforms in Neuromuscular ReflexJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2005..It has been found that spastic muscles have increased type I (slow) fibers. Cerebral palsy, joint immobilization and tenotomy, three very different original conditions which cause muscle contracture, have a common ..
- Myofilament Protein Isoforms in Neuromuscular ReflexJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2003..It has been found that spastic muscles have increased type I (slow) fibers. Cerebral palsy, joint immobilization and tenotomy, three very different original conditions which cause muscle contracture, have a common ..
- IMMUNOBIOLOGICAL ROLE OF FERTILIZATION ANTIGEN (FA-1)RAJESH NAZ; Fiscal Year: 1990..hamster ova and inhibited in vitro fertilization of mouse ova by murine sperm without causing agglutination or immobilization of sperm...
- Attenuation of denervation atrophy by nandrolone: molecular mechanismsChristopher Cardozo; Fiscal Year: 2009..A significant impediment to rehabilitation is muscle atrophy as a consequence of paralysis, immobilization, medications, and chronic illness...
- Breast CT scanner for earlier cancer detectionJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2003..produce a scanner capable of 10 second breast scanning, and the scanner development will also include a breast immobilization system (acrylic cylinders), a breast CT table, a fast reconstruction computer, and a computer workstation ..
- Breast CT scanner for earlier cancer detectionJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2002..produce a scanner capable of 10 second breast scanning, and the scanner development will also include a breast immobilization system (acrylic cylinders), a breast CT table, a fast reconstruction computer, and a computer workstation ..
- Breast CT scanner for earlier cancer detectionJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2005..produce a scanner capable of 10 second breast scanning, and the scanner development will also include a breast immobilization system (acrylic cylinders), a breast CT table, a fast reconstruction computer, and a computer workstation ..
- Breast CT scanner for earlier cancer detectionJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Effect of Stress on Glutamate Receptors and Signaling Proteins in the BasolateralEMIL MULY; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will use a rodent model of repeated, severe stress- repeated immobilization stress to study the effect of stress in the BLA...
- Breast CT scanner for earlier cancer detectionJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2004
- Chemical Mapping of Chromate Uptake, Localization, and Reduction in Remediating BJOSEPH MK IRUDAYARAJ; Fiscal Year: 2010..metal ion-reducing bacteria (DMRB) remain potent, potentially cost-effective approaches to the reductive immobilization or detoxification of environmental contaminants...
- Chemical Mapping of Chromate Uptake, Localization, and Reduction in Remediating BJoseph Irudayaraj; Fiscal Year: 2009..metal ion-reducing bacteria (DMRB) remain potent, potentially cost-effective approaches to the reductive immobilization or detoxification of environmental contaminants...
- Therapeutic Strategies to Augment Muscle RehabilitationKrista Vandenborne; Fiscal Year: 2009..to promote muscle regeneration and hypertrophy following disuse/unloading after hindlimb suspension and cast immobilization (collaboration with Project 1, and Cores A, B, and C)...
- Localized immobilization of ephrin-B2 for neurite guidance in 3D cultureMichael J Moore; Fiscal Year: 2010..we propose the following specific aims: Aim 1: Synthesize a photo-labile peptide hydrogel for localized immobilization of protein ligands...
- Localized immobilization of ephrin-B2 for neurite guidance in 3D cultureMichael Moore; Fiscal Year: 2009..we propose the following specific aims: Aim 1: Synthesize a photo-labile peptide hydrogel for localized immobilization of protein ligands...
- An Endothelial Progenitor Cell-Specific Nanofibrous Vascular GraftLisa Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2009..synthesize and characterize in vitro a novel nanofibrous vascular graft material using our electrospinning and immobilization technology that would direct rapid adhesion and subsequent growth of circulating progenitor and more mature ..
- Rotator cuff tendon to bone insertion site healingLOUIS SOSLOWSKY; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Immobilization was found to result in better healing than either cage activity or exercise and the longer the period of ..
- Rotator cuff tendon to bone insertion site healingLOUIS SOSLOWSKY; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Immobilization was found to result in better healing than either cage activity or exercise and the longer the period of ..
- Rotator cuff tendon to bone insertion site healingLouis J Soslowsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Immobilization was found to result in better healing than either cage activity or exercise and the longer the period of ..
- Rotator cuff tendon to bone insertion site healingLOUIS SOSLOWSKY; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Porous Glass-Ceramics for Protein Purification/ immobiliSteven Morgan; Fiscal Year: 2001..of these glass-ceramics can produce porous materials which can be used as matrices for the purification and/or immobilization of biomolecules...
- IMMOBILIZED CELL FREE TRANSLATION SYSTEMWilliam Scouten; Fiscal Year: 1992..in a way, an extension of the investigators laboratory's interest in solid phase biochemistry and biomolecule immobilization. The investigators will formulate their initial attempts to prepare an immobilized protein synthesis system ..
- IMMOBILIZED CELL FREE TRANSLATION SYSTEMSWilliam Scouten; Fiscal Year: 1992..in a way, an extension of the investigators laboratory's interest in solid phase biochemistry and biomolecule immobilization. The investigators will formulate their initial attempts to prepare an immobilized protein synthesis system ..
- Digital tomosynthesis: a new paradigm for radiation treatment verificationFang Fang Yin; Fiscal Year: 2007..g. breast), or those with substantial immobilization or support devices; 3) A high radiation dose (2-9 cGy) is delivered to the imaged volume with current imaging ..
- Biomedical Polymers With Heparin-Binding End GroupsRobert Ward; Fiscal Year: 2004Endpoint immobilization of heparin on the surface of polymeric biomaterials is a well-established method for improving thrombo-resistance...