Genomes and Genes
Summary: The restriction of the MOVEMENT of whole or part of the body by physical means (RESTRAINT, PHYSICAL) or chemically by ANALGESIA, or the use of TRANQUILIZING AGENTS or NEUROMUSCULAR NONDEPOLARIZING AGENTS. It includes experimental protocols used to evaluate the physiologic effects of immobility.
Publications243 found, 100 shown here
- Increased sclerostin serum levels associated with bone formation and resorption markers in patients with immobilization-induced bone lossAgostino Gaudio
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Catania, 95124 Catania, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:2248-53. 2010..Sclerostin, a Wnt signaling antagonist on the osteoblasts produced by osteocytes, is regulated by mechanical strain and is implicated in the pathogenesis of disuse bone loss. There are no data on sclerostin in humans...
- Mechanical conditions that accelerate intervertebral disc degeneration: overload versus immobilizationIan A F Stokes
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont 05405, USA
Spine 29:2724-32. 2004..macromechanical factors that accelerate disc degeneration with particular focus on distinguishing the roles of immobilization and overloading...
- The role of NF-kappaB in protein breakdown in immobilization, aging, and exercise: from basic processes to promotion of healthMarina Bar-Shai
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, P.O. Box 9649, Haifa 31096, Israel
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1057:431-47. 2005..The molecular mechanisms responsible for the muscle protein breakdown during immobilization in aging have been studied in our laboratory in a model of 24-month-old Wistar rats, immobilized for 4 weeks...
- Immobilization induces anabolic resistance in human myofibrillar protein synthesis with low and high dose amino acid infusionElisa I Glover
Department of Kinesiology Exercise Metabolism Research Group, McMaster University, 1280 Main St West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1, Canada
J Physiol 586:6049-61. 2008..We determined how 14 days of unilateral knee immobilization affected quadriceps myofibrillar protein synthesis (MPS) in young healthy subjects (10 men, 2 women, 21 +/- 1 ..
- Chronic immobilization stress alters aspects of emotionality and associative learning in the ratGwendolyn E Wood
The Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Behav Neurosci 122:282-92. 2008..Chronic immobilization stress (CIS) induces anxiety behavior and dendritic hypertrophy in the basolateral amygdala, which persist ..
- Comparison of Macintosh, Truview EVO2, Glidescope, and Airwayscope laryngoscope use in patients with cervical spine immobilizationM A Malik
Department of Anaesthesia, Clinical Sciences Institute, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
Br J Anaesth 101:723-30. 2008..of the Pentax AWS, Glidescope, and the Truview EVO2, in comparison with the Macintosh laryngoscope, when performing tracheal intubation in patients with neck immobilization using manual in-line axial cervical spine stabilization.
- Effects of aging on human skeletal muscle after immobilization and retrainingC Suetta
Institute of Sports Medicine, Bispebjerg Hospital, Bispebjerg Bakke 23, 2400 NV Copenhagen, Denmark
J Appl Physiol 107:1172-80. 2009..on skeletal muscle in young individuals are well elucidated, only little is known about the consequence of immobilization and the regenerative capacity in elderly individuals...
- Modulatory effects of norepinephrine, acting on alpha 1 receptors in the central nucleus of the amygdala, on behavioral and neuroendocrine responses to acute immobilization stressMarco Cecchi
The University of Michigan, Mental Health Research Institute, 205 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0720, USA
Neuropharmacology 43:1139-47. 2002..microinjected bilaterally into CeA of male Sprague-Dawley rats, and anxiety-like behavioral responses to acute immobilization stress were measured on the Social Interaction (SI) test and on the Elevated Plus-maze (EPMZ)...
- Interfractional set-up errors evaluation by daily electronic portal imaging of IMRT in head and neck cancer patientsBerrin Pehlivan
Department of Radiation Oncology, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Acta Oncol 48:440-5. 2009..We aimed to evaluate whether a daily PI is worthwhile and we derived the Planning Target Volume (PTV) margins from the estimation of systematic and random errors...
- Neural responses in rat brain during acute immobilization stress: a [F-18]FDG micro PET imaging studyKang Keyng Sung
Department of Neuroscience and Oriental Medicine, Wonkwang University, Iksan, South Korea
Neuroimage 44:1074-80. 2009..Animals were given immobilization stress for 1 or 2 h, or 1-h stress followed by 1-h recovery, after which their brains were scanned...
- Low-volume resistance exercise attenuates the decline in strength and muscle mass associated with immobilizationBryan R Oates
Exercise Metabolism Research Group, Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada
Muscle Nerve 42:539-46. 2010..of low-volume resistance exercise (EX) for the attenuation of loss of muscle mass and strength during leg immobilization. Men (N = 5) and women (N = 12, age 24 ± 5 years, body mass index 25.4 ± 3...
- Exercise and immobilization in aging animals: the involvement of oxidative stress and NF-kappaB activationMarina Bar-Shai
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, P O Box 9649, Haifa 31096, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 44:202-14. 2008..Its involvement in exercise and immobilization has been demonstrated in several studies, indicating that these conditions may lead to inflammatory responses ..
- Immobilization-induced and crowded environment-induced stress delay barrier recovery in murine skinM Denda
Life Science Research Laboratories, Shiseido Research Center 2, Yokohama, Japan
Br J Dermatol 138:780-5. 1998To examine the effect of stress on skin homeostasis, cutaneous barrier recovery was measured in rate exposed to immobilization stress after tape stripping or sodium dodecyl sulphate treatment...
- c-Fos expression induced by electroacupuncture at the Zusanli point in rats submitted to repeated immobilizationM A Medeiros
Departamento de Ciencias Fisiologicas, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro, Seropedica, RJ, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 36:1673-84. 2003..Repeated immobilization protocols (6 days, 1 h/day and 13 days, 2 h/day) were used to reduce the effect of acute immobilization stress ..
- Comparison of setup accuracy of three different thermoplastic masks for the treatment of brain and head and neck tumorsL Gilbeau
Radiation Oncology Department, , St-Luc University Hospital, 10 Ave. Hippocrate, B-1200 Brussels, Belgium
Radiother Oncol 58:155-62. 2001..The purpose of this study was to compare the setup accuracy of three different thermoplastic masks used for immobilization of patients with brain or head and neck tumors...
- Immediate-early gene response to repeated immobilization: Fos protein and arc mRNA levels appear to be less sensitive than c-fos mRNA to adaptationSheila Ons
Department of Cellular Biology, Physiology and Immunology, Institute of Neuroscience and Animal Physiology Unit, School of Biosciences, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Neurosci 31:2043-52. 2010..and arc (activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein) after repeated exposure to a severe stressor: immobilization on wooden boards (IMO)...
- Identification of ubiquitin ligases required for skeletal muscle atrophyS C Bodine
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, 777 Old Saw Mill River Road, Tarrytown, NY, 10591 6707, USA
Science 294:1704-8. 2001..Overexpression of MAFbx in myotubes produced atrophy, whereas mice deficient in either MAFbx or MuRF1 were found to be resistant to atrophy. These proteins are potential drug targets for the treatment of muscle atrophy...
- Out-of-hospital spinal immobilization: its effect on neurologic injuryM Hauswald
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of New Mexico, School of Medicine, Albuquerque 87131 5246, USA
Acad Emerg Med 5:214-9. 1998To examine the effect of emergency immobilization on neurologic outcome of patients who have blunt traumatic spinal injuries.
- Acute physical stress elevates mouse period1 mRNA expression in mouse peripheral tissues via a glucocorticoid-responsive elementTakuro Yamamoto
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Suita, Osaka 565 0874, Japan
J Biol Chem 280:42036-43. 2005....
- Effect of electroacupuncture on response to immobilization stressChae H Yang
Department of Physiology, College of Oriental Medicine, Kyungsan University, Taegu, South Korea
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 72:847-55. 2002Forced immobilization is a simple and effective stressor which produces large increases in heart rate (HR), blood pressure (BP), and plasma levels of norepinephrine (NE) and epinephrine (EPI)...
- Acute immobilization stress induces clinical and neuroimmunological alterations in experimental murine cutaneous leishmaniasisM R Ruiz
, Instituto de Biomedicina, Universidad Central de Venezuela, Apartado 4043, Caracas 1010-A, Venezuela
Br J Dermatol 149:731-8. 2003..OBJECTIVES: To analyse the effect of acute immobilization stress on Langerhans cells, substance P (SP), calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) and the natural course of ..
- Immediate mobilization gives good results in boxer's fractures with volar angulation up to 70 degrees: a prospective randomized trial comparing immediate mobilization with cast immobilizationMarkwin G Statius Muller
Department of Surgery, Sint Lucas Andreas Hospital, Jan Tooropstraat 164, 1061 AE, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 123:534-7. 2003..Therefore, the aim of our study was to compare randomly and prospectively the results of an immobilization treatment for 3 weeks with cast with a functional treatment, all with accepted angulations up to 70 degrees...
- Modification of Gill-Thomas-Cosman frame for extracranial head-and-neck stereotactic radiotherapyAlireza Kassaee
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57:1192-5. 2003....
- Random positional variation among the skull, mandible, and cervical spine with treatment progression during head-and-neck radiotherapyPeter H Ahn
Department of Radiation Oncology, Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:626-33. 2009With 54 degrees of freedom from the skull to mandible to C7, ensuring adequate immobilization for head-and-neck radiotherapy (RT) is complex. We quantify variations in skull, mandible, and cervical spine movement between RT sessions.
- Assessment of a customised immobilisation system for head and neck IMRT using electronic portal imagingMandy Humphreys
Radiotherapy Department, Royal Marsden NHS Trust, London, UK
Radiother Oncol 77:39-44. 2005..9, 2.6 and 3.3 mm, respectively. CONCLUSIONS: This head and neck immobilisation system is of sufficient accuracy for its use with IMRT treatments and a 3 mm CTV-PTV margin has been adopted...
- Short-term immobilization after eccentric exercise. Part II: creatine kinase and myoglobinStephen P Sayers
Human Physiology Laboratory, Department of Health Sciences, Boston University, Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, 635 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 35:762-8. 2003..We previously found short-term immobilization blunted the rise in plasma CK after eccentric exercise, suggesting subsequent movement of damaged muscle may ..
- Setup uncertainties of anatomical sub-regions in head-and-neck cancer patients after offline CBCT guidanceSimon van Kranen
Department of Radiation Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:1566-73. 2009..To quantify local geometrical uncertainties in anatomical sub-regions during radiotherapy for head-and-neck cancer patients...
- The effect of a low dose of clenbuterol on rat soleus muscle submitted to joint immobilizationK M Cancelliero
Departamento de Fisioterapia, Universidade Federal de Sao Carlos, Sao Carlos, SP, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 41:1054-8. 2008The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effect of joint immobilization on morphometric parameters and glycogen content of soleus muscle treated with clenbuterol...
- Intra- and interfractional patient motion for a variety of immobilization devicesMartijn Engelsman
Northeast Proton Therapy Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Department of Radiation Oncology, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Med Phys 32:3468-74. 2005The magnitude of inter- and intrafractional patient motion has been assessed for a broad set of immobilization devices...
- [Comparison of two different laryngeal mask models for airway management in patients with immobilization of the cervical spine]C Gernoth
Universitätsklinik für Anästhesiologie und operative Intensivmedizin, Universitatsklinikum, Mannheim del berg de
Anaesthesist 55:263-9. 2006..Supraglottic airway devices can be important alternatives for oxygenation under these circumstances. The Ambu laryngeal mask (ALM) and the LMA-Classic (LMA) are compared in patients with immobilization of the cervical spine.
- Limb immobilization induces a coordinate down-regulation of mitochondrial and other metabolic pathways in men and womenArkan Abadi
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e6518. 2009..The purpose of this study was to examine changes in global gene transcription during immobilization-induced muscle atrophy in humans and then explore the effects of the most prominent transcriptional ..
- Cone-beam CT assessment of interfraction and intrafraction setup error of two head-and-neck cancer thermoplastic masksMichael Velec
Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76:949-55. 2010..To prospectively compare setup error in standard thermoplastic masks and skin-sparing masks (SSMs) modified with low neck cutouts for head-and-neck intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) patients...
- Treatment of complete rupture of the lateral ligaments of the ankle: a randomized clinical trial comparing cast immobilization with functional treatmentJordi Ardèvol
Orthopedic Surgery Department, Hospital de Mataro, C de Cirera s n Mataró, 08304 Barcelona, Spain
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 10:371-7. 2002This study compared the therapeutic efficacy between cast immobilization and functional treatment of grade III ruptures of the lateral ankle ligaments...
- Comparison of repositioning accuracy of two commercially available immobilization systems for treatment of head-and-neck tumors using simulation computed tomography imagingRonny L Rotondo
Department of Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:1389-96. 2008To compare the setup accuracy, comfort level, and setup time of two immobilization systems used in head-and-neck radiotherapy.
- Deficiency of antinociception and excessive grooming induced by acute immobilization stress in Per1 mutant miceJing Zhang
Behavioral Genetics Centre, Institute of Psychology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 6:e16212. 2011..In the present study we observed the alterations in grooming and nociceptive behaviors induced by acute immobilization stress in Per1 mutant mice and other genotypes (wild types and Per2 mutant)...
- Kinetics and persistence of cardiovascular and locomotor effects of immobilization stress and influence of ACTH treatmentEsther L Sabban
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, N Y 10595, USA
Neuroendocrinology 89:98-108. 2009..Here, we examine the kinetics and persistence of cardiovascular and locomotor responses to single and repeated immobilization stress (IMO), with and without prior treatment with adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH)...
- The effect of acute immobilization stress on the abundance of corticotropin-releasing factor receptor in lymphoid organsM Radulovic
Department of Molecular Neuroendocrinology, Max Planck Institute for Experimental Medicine, Goettingen, Germany
J Neuroimmunol 103:153-64. 2000..We demonstrate here that immobilization, a predominantly psychological stress, exhibited a similar effect...
- Central nervous adaptations following 1 wk of wrist and hand immobilizationJesper Lundbye-Jensen
Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, University of Copenhagen, Panum Institute 22 3, Blegdamsvej 3, Copenhagen 2200, Denmark
J Appl Physiol 105:139-51. 2008..but little is known about central nervous system plasticity accompanying reduced physical activity and immobilization. In the present study we investigated whether plastic neural changes occur in relation to 1 wk of ..
- A comparison of two immobilization systems for stereotactic body radiation therapy of lung tumorsKathy Han
Department of Radiation Oncology, Odette Cancer Center, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4N 3M5
Radiother Oncol 95:103-8. 2010This study aims to compare the efficacy, efficiency and comfort level of two immobilization systems commonly used in lung stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT): the Bodyfix and the abdominal compression plate (ACP).
- Impact of viral-mediated IGF-I gene transfer on skeletal muscle following cast immobilizationJennifer E Stevens-Lapsley
Dept of Physical Therapy, Univ of Florida, Gainesville, 32610, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 299:E730-40. 2010..on the recovery of muscle size and function during reloading/reambulation after a period of cast immobilization in predominantly fast twitch muscles...
- Improved immobilization using an individual head support in head and neck cancer patientsAntonetta C Houweling
Department of Radiotherapy, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Radiother Oncol 96:100-3. 2010The benefits of a patient-specific head support, developed to improve immobilization during radiotherapy, were determined in head and neck cancer patients. Cone-beam CTs were registered to the planning CT in five regions...
- Immobilization stress-induced thymocyte apoptosis in ratsK Hatanaka
Department of Forensic Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
Life Sci 69:155-65. 2001b>Immobilization of rats is a well known model of emotional stress. We studied apoptosis in rat thymocytes during immobilization for 2-8 hours (h)...
- Anabolic resistance: the effects of aging, sexual dimorphism, and immobilization on human muscle protein turnoverMichael J Rennie
University of Nottingham, School of Graduate Entry Medicine and Health, City Hospital, Derby, DE22 3DT, UK
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 34:377-81. 2009..Exercise may retune the amino acid and (or) insulin sensitivity of muscle in older people...
- Immobilization impairs tactile perception and shrinks somatosensory cortical mapsSilke Lissek
Department of Neurology, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University, D 44780 Bochum, Germany
Curr Biol 19:837-42. 2009..Here, we report that a few weeks of hand and arm immobilization by cast wearing significantly reduced hand use and impaired tactile acuity, associated with reduced activation ..
- Identification of the aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase gene expression in various mice tissues and its modulation by immobilization stress in stellate gangliaL Kubovcakova
Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Vlarska 3, 833 06 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Neuroscience 126:375-80. 2004..We also tested the hypothesis, whether single or repeated immobilization stress can affect the AADC mRNA or immunoprotein levels in mice stellate ganglia...
- Single and repeated immobilization stress differentially trigger induction and phosphorylation of several transcription factors and mitogen-activated protein kinases in the rat locus coeruleusMeleik A Hebert
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
J Neurochem 95:484-98. 2005..Rats were exposed to single or repeated immobilization stress (IMO) for brief (5 min), intermediate (30 min) or sustained (2 h) duration...
- Changes in muscle strength, muscle fibre size and myofibrillar gene expression after immobilization and retraining in humansT Hortobagyi
Biomechanics Laboratory and Departments of Biochemistry and Physical Therapy, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
J Physiol 524:293-304. 2000..and myosin heavy-chain (MyoHC) gene expression were examined in 48 men and women following 3 weeks of knee immobilization and after 12 weeks of retraining with 1866 eccentric, concentric or mixed contractions. 2...
- Changes in inorganic phosphate and force production in human skeletal muscle after cast immobilizationNeeti Pathare
Dept of Physical Therapy, PO Box 100154, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Appl Physiol 98:307-14. 2005Cast immobilization is associated with decreases in muscle contractile area, specific force, and functional ability...
- The out-of-hospital validation of the Canadian C-Spine Rule by paramedicsChristian Vaillancourt
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ann Emerg Med 54:663-671.e1. 2009..This study prospectively evaluates the performance characteristics, reliability, and clinical sensibility of the Canadian C-Spine Rule when used by paramedics in the out-of-hospital setting...
- Pressure immobilization delays mortality and increases intracompartmental pressure after artificial intramuscular rattlesnake envenomation in a porcine modelSean P Bush
Department of Emergency Medicine Laack, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Medical Center and Children s Hospital, Loma Linda, CA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 44:599-604. 2004We determine the effect of pressure immobilization on mortality and intracompartmental pressure after artificial intramuscular Crotalus atrox envenomation in a porcine model.
- Incomplete restoration of immobilization induced softening of young beagle knee articular cartilage after 50-week remobilizationJ Haapala
Department of Surgery, University of Kuopio, Finland
Int J Sports Med 21:76-81. 2000..was to characterize the biomechanical and structural changes in canine knee cartilage after an initial 11-week immobilization and subsequent remobilization period of 50 weeks...
- Effect of creatine supplementation during cast-induced immobilization on the preservation of muscle mass, strength, and enduranceAdam P W Johnston
Department of Human Kinetics, St Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Canada
J Strength Cond Res 23:116-20. 2009Muscle and strength loss will occur during periods of physical inactivity and immobilization. Creatine supplementation may have a favorable effect on muscle mass and strength independently of exercise...
- An inexpensive and simple method for thermally stable immobilization of DNA on an unmodified glass surface: UV linking of poly(T)10-poly(C)10-tagged DNA probesHaukur Gudnason
DTU Nanotech, Department of Micro and Nanotechnology, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
Biotechniques 45:261-71. 2008..In conclusion, our results show that using TC-tagged DNA probes immobilized on an unmodified glass surface is a robust, heat-stable, very simple, and inexpensive method for manufacturing DNA microarrays...
- Polyethylenimine-grafted multiwalled carbon nanotubes for secure noncovalent immobilization and efficient delivery of DNAYe Liu
Institute of Materials Research and Engineering, 3 Research Link, Singapore 117602, Singapore
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 44:4782-5. 2005
- Passive stretching does not enhance outcomes in patients with plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture: a randomized controlled trialAnne M Moseley
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, PO Box 170, Lidcombe NSW 1825, Sydney, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1118-26. 2005To compare the efficacy of short- and long-duration passive stretches with a control treatment for the management of plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture.
- Remifentanil for fetal immobilization and maternal sedation during fetoscopic surgery: a randomized, double-blind comparison with diazepamMarc Van de Velde
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Anesth Analg 101:251-8, table of contents. 2005..In the absence of general anesthesia, fetal immobilization is not achieved...
- Early functional treatment versus early immobilization in tension of the musculotendinous unit after Achilles rupture repair: a prospective, randomized, clinical studyJarmo Kangas
Department of Surgery, Oulu University Hospital, Finland
J Trauma 54:1171-80; discussion 1180-1. 2003..Achilles rupture repair and determine whether early functional treatment will give a better result than early immobilization in tension of the musculotendinous unit...
- Bone mineral and geometric changes through the femur with immobilization due to spinal cord injuryB J Kiratli
Spinal Cord Injury Center, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, CA 94304, USA
J Rehabil Res Dev 37:225-33. 2000..and geometric properties of the midshaft and distal femur in a control population and examines effects of immobilization due to spinal cord injury (SCI) at these skeletal sites...
- Experimental forearm immobilization in humans induces cold and mechanical hyperalgesiaAstrid J Terkelsen
Danish Pain Research Center, University Hospital Aarhus, Norrebrogade 44, Building 1A, DK 8000 Aarhus, Denmark
Anesthesiology 109:297-307. 2008..Clinical and experimental observations suggest that limb immobilization may induce symptoms and signs characteristic of complex regional pain syndrome...
- Postoperative rehabilitation after percutaneous Achilles tendon repair: early functional therapy versus cast immobilizationM Majewski
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, University Hospital, University of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Disabil Rehabil 30:1726-32. 2008..To report a comparative study on postoperative management following percutaneous repair of acute Achilles tendon ruptures...
- Position of immobilization for pediatric forearm fracturesBryan A Boyer
Grant Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 22:185-7. 2002..Residual fracture angulation at the time of union for pediatric distal-third forearm fractures was not significantly affected by forearm position (pronation, supination, neutral) during cast immobilization.
- Physical and inflammatory stressors elevate circadian clock gene mPer1 mRNA levels in the paraventricular nucleus of the mouseS Takahashi
Department of Pharmacology and Brain Science, School of Human Sciences, Waseda University, Tokorozawa, Saitama, Japan 359-1192
Endocrinology 142:4910-7. 2001..Forced swimming, immobilization, and lipopolysaccharide injection elevated mPer1 gene expression in the PVN but not in the SCN or liver...
- Changes in angiotensin AT1 receptor mRNA levels in the rat brain after immobilization stress and inhibition of central nitric oxide synthaseA Kiss
Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, 833 06 Bratislava, Slovakia
Endocr Regul 35:65-70. 2001To study functional interactions between angiotensin II AT1 receptors and nitric oxide (NO) activity in different brain areas in rats exposed to immobilization stress.
- Dose-dependent effects of chemical immobilization on the heart rate of embryonic zebrafishMichael P Craig
Department of Genome Science, Genome Research Institute, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45237, USA
Lab Anim (NY) 35:41-7. 2006..The results of this study empirically define, for the first time, effective, minimally stressful treatments for immobilization and in vivo visualization during early zebrafish development.
- Changes in physical examination caused by use of spinal immobilizationJuan A March
Department of Emergency Medicine, East Carolina University East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine, Greenville, North Carolina 27858, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 6:421-4. 2002The standard of care for patients following blunt trauma includes midline palpation of vertebrae to rule out fractures. Previous studies have demonstrated that spinal immobilization does cause discomfort.
- Effect of water activity and immobilization on fatty acid selectivity for esterification reactions mediated by lipasesC H Lee
Department of Food Science, University of Wisconsin, Babcock Hall, 1605 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 75:219-27. 2001The effect of water activity (a(w)) and immobilization on fatty acid (FA) selectivity of Burkholderia (formerly Pseudomonas) cepacia, Rhizomucor miehei, Candida antarctica (type B), and Candida rugosa lipases in esterification reactions ..
- Effects of head immobilization on the coordination and control of head and body reorientation and translation during steeringM A Hollands
Neural Control Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3G1, Canada
Exp Brain Res 140:223-33. 2001....
- Ketamine and xylazine combinations for short-term immobilization of wild variable flying foxes (Pteropus hypomelanus)A R Sohayati
Veterinary Research Institute, Department ctf Veterinary Services, 59 Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah, 31400 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia
J Zoo Wildl Med 39:674-6. 2008..The mean induction time was 80 +/- 20 sec, and mean immobilization time was 26 +/- 10 min...
- Deficit in human muscle strength with cast immobilization: contribution of inorganic phosphateNeeti C Pathare
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
Eur J Appl Physiol 98:71-8. 2006Metabolic factors have been proposed to explain strength deficits observed in skeletal muscle with immobilization that are not completely accounted for by changes in muscle cross-sectional area (CSA) and neural adaptations...
- Tracheal intubation with videolaryngoscopes in patients with cervical spine immobilization: a randomized trial of the Airway Scope and the GlideScopeE H C Liu
Department of Anaesthesia, National University Health System, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Br J Anaesth 103:446-51. 2009..We tested this hypothesis in a randomized comparison of the two videolaryngoscopes in patients whose cervical spines were immobilized...
- Incidence of and risk factors for complications associated with halo-vest immobilization: a prospective, descriptive cohort study of 239 patientsJoost J van Middendorp
Department of Orthopaedics, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Radboud University Nijmegen, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:71-9. 2009Since high rates of serious complications, such as death and pneumonia, during halo-vest immobilization have been reported, there has been a tendency of restraint with regard to the use of the halo vest...
- Analysis of human skeletal muscle after 48 h immobilization reveals alterations in mRNA and protein for extracellular matrix componentsMaria L Urso
Department of Exercise Science, 110 Totman Bldg, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 01003, USA
J Appl Physiol 101:1136-48. 2006We examined the effects of 48 h of knee immobilization on alterations in mRNA and protein in human skeletal muscle...
- A statewide, prehospital emergency medical service selective patient spine immobilization protocolJohn H Burton
Department of Emergency Medicine, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York 12208 3479, USA
J Trauma 61:161-7. 2006To evaluate the practices and outcomes associated with a statewide, emergency medical services (EMS) protocol for trauma patient spine assessment and selective patient immobilization.
- Clearing the cervical spine after polytrauma: implementing unified management for unconscious victims in the intensive care unitC G Morris
Department of Intensive Care Medical and Anaesthesia, Regional Intensive Care Unit, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, BT1 26BA, Northern Ireland
Anaesthesia 59:755-61. 2004..Having performed this clinician survey, we have now developed a multidisciplinary management protocol appropriate for Northern Ireland...
- Stress-dependent induction of protein oxidation, lipid peroxidation and anti-oxidants in peripheral tissues of rats: comparison of three stress models (immobilization, cold and immobilization-cold)Emel Sahin
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 34:425-31. 2007..3 months old, weighing 220 +/- 20 g) were divided randomly into four groups of nine rats each: control (C), immobilization stress (IS), cold stress (CS), and immobilization-cold stress (ICS). 3...
- Which labral lesion can be best reduced with external rotation of the shoulder after a first-time traumatic anterior shoulder dislocation?Dominik Seybold
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik, Berufsgenossenschaftliches Universitätsklinikum Bergmannsheil, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:299-304. 2009b>Immobilization in external rotation after a first-time traumatic anterior shoulder dislocation has been shown to improve the position of the labroligamentous lesion relative to the glenoid rim...
- Quality assurance of immobilization and target localization systems for frameless stereotactic cranial and extracranial hypofractionated radiotherapyTimothy D Solberg
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198 7521, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 71:S131-5. 2008..In this report, we reviewed the technologies for frameless localization of cranial and extracranial targets with emphasis on the quality assurance aspects...
- Should acute anterior dislocations of the shoulder be immobilized in external rotation? A cadaveric studyBruce S Miller
Orthopaedic Research Laboratories, Division of Surgery, University of New South Wales, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia 2031
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:589-92. 2004..The mean contact force at 45 degrees of ER was 83.5 g. External rotation significantly increases the labrum-glenoid contact force and may influence the healing of a Bankart lesion...
- Protective effect of alprazolam in acute immobilization stress-induced certain behavioral and biochemical alterations in miceRicha Goyal
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Pharmacol Rep 59:284-90. 2007..In the present study, we investigated the protective effect of alprazolam in acute immobilization-induced various behavioral and biochemical alteration in mice. Mice were immobilized for a period of 6 h...
- Bone mineral density during total contact cast immobilization for a patient with neuropathic (Charcot) arthropathyMary K Hastings
Program in Physical Therapy, School of Medicine, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Phys Ther 85:249-56. 2005..The effect of cast immobilization and non-weight bearing on bone loss has not been well studied...
- Immobilization stress induces BDNF in rat submandibular glandsK Tsukinoki
Department of Diagnostic Science, Division of Pathology, Kanagawa Dental College, 82 Inaoka cho, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 238 8580, Japan
J Dent Res 85:844-8. 2006..b>Immobilization stress modifies BDNF mRNA expression in some organs...
- Minimally angulated pediatric wrist fractures: is immobilization without manipulation enough?Khalid Al-Ansari
Division of Emergency Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
CJEM 9:9-15. 2007..Emergency department (ED) manipulation of complete minimally angulated distal radius fractures in children may not be necessary, due to the excellent remodeling potential of these fractures...
- Lower limb immobilization is associated with increased corticospinal excitabilityDonna R Roberts
Brain Stimulation Laboratory BSL, Institute of Psychiatry, Medical University of South Carolina, MUSC IOP, 502 N, 67 President Street, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Exp Brain Res 181:213-20. 2007Temporary immobilization of the leg serves as a useful model for the brain's adaptive responses to casting, long-term confinement to bed rest and possibly to trauma...
- Three-dimensional evaluation of intra- and interfraction immobilization of lung and chest wall using active breathing control: a reproducibility study with breast cancer patientsVincent M Remouchamps
Department of Radiation Oncology, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57:968-78. 2003..three-dimensional (3D) method was used to analyze the intra- and interfraction reproducibility of lung immobilization during moderate deep inspiration breath hold (mDIBH), defined as 75% of the maximal inspiration using an ..
- CT image-guided intensity-modulated therapy for paraspinal tumors using stereotactic immobilizationKamil M Yenice
Department of Medical Physics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 55:583-93. 2003To design and implement a noninvasive stereotactic immobilization technique with daily CT image-guided positioning to treat patients with paraspinal lesions accurately and to quantify the systematic and random patient setup errors ..
- The efficacy and comfort of full-body vacuum splints for cervical-spine immobilizationR S Hamilton
University of California San Diego Medical Center Mercy Hospital, CA 92103, USA
J Emerg Med 14:553-9. 1996We performed a prospective crossover study to determine the cervical spine immobilization and comfort level of healthy subjects on a full-body vacuum splint in comparison with a standard backboard, with and without cervical spine collars...
- Position of immobilization after dislocation of the glenohumeral joint. A study with use of magnetic resonance imagingE Itoi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Akita University School of Medicine, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:661-7. 2001..dislocations often recur, probably because a Bankart lesion does not heal sufficiently during the period of immobilization. Using magnetic resonance imaging, we assessed the position of the Bankart lesion, with the arm in internal ..
- Influence of immobilization on bone mass and bone metabolism in hemiplegic elderly patients with a long-standing strokeY Sato
Department of Neurology, Futase Social Insurance Hospital, Iizuka, Japan
J Neurol Sci 156:205-10. 1998..To evaluate the influence of long-standing immobilization on this osteopenia, we measured various serum markers of bone metabolism in 93 hemiplegic elderly patients ..
- The effects of neutral positioning with and without padding on spinal immobilization of healthy subjectsE B Lerner
Department of Emergency Medicine, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo 14215, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 2:112-6. 1998To compare the incidences and severities of pain experienced by healthy volunteers undergoing spinal immobilization in the neutral position with and without occipital padding...
- Altered responsiveness to stress and NMDA following prenatal exposure to cocaineJ Huber
College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Florida A and M University, Tallahassee, FL 32307, USA
Physiol Behav 72:181-8. 2001..These results indicate that gestational cocaine exposure is associated with long-term alterations in response to stress, NMDA receptor, and pain sensitivity in the rat offspring...
- Stress triggered changes in gene expression in adrenal medulla: transcriptional responses to acute and chronic stressEsther L Sabban
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, New York Medical College, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
Cell Mol Neurobiol 26:845-56. 2006..Fra-2 by Western Blot analysis in adrenal medulla of Sprague Dawley male rats exposed to single or repeated immobilization stress (IMO)...
- Chronic cold stress sensitizes brain noradrenergic reactivity and noradrenergic facilitation of the HPA stress response in Wistar Kyoto ratsMarie Christine Pardon
Department of Pharmacology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Dr, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Brain Res 971:55-65. 2003..Chronic cold exposure (7 days, 4 h/day, 4 degrees C) potentiated activation of the HPA axis by acute immobilization stress, assessed by measuring plasma adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), in both strains, although to a ..
- Manipulation of dopamine d1-like receptor activation in the rat medial prefrontal cortex alters stress- and cocaine-induced reinstatement of conditioned place preference behaviorC J Sanchez
Department of VCAPP, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-6520, USA
Neuroscience 119:497-505. 2003..Just prior to reinstatement by immobilization stress or a cocaine priming injection (5 mg/kg, i.p...
- Intermittent food deprivation improves cardiovascular and neuroendocrine responses to stress in ratsRuiqian Wan
Laboratory of Neurosciences, Gerontology Research Center, National Institute on Aging/NIH, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Nutr 133:1921-9. 2003..BP), physical activity and body temperature were measured by radiotelemetry under nonstress and stress (immobilization or cold-water swim) conditions...
- Induction of cyclooxygenase-2 accounts for restraint stress-induced oxidative status in rat brainJose L M Madrigal
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Complutense, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1579-88. 2003..These findings are discussed as possible damaging and/or adaptive roles for stress-induced COX-2 in the brain...
- Antidepressant-like effects of acute and chronic treatment with zinc in forced swim test and olfactory bulbectomy model in ratsGabriel Nowak
Department of Neurobiology, Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Smetna 12, Pl 31 343 Krakow, Poland
Brain Res Bull 61:159-64. 2003..These animal data further suggest antidepressant activity of zinc in human depression...
- Corticosterone and testosterone levels after chronic stress in an animal model of depressionH Bonilla-Jaime
Department of Reproductive Biology, , Mexico City, Mexico
Neuropsychobiology 48:55-8. 2003..The data suggest that CMI induces permanent changes in the reactivity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, without affecting the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis...
- Chronic intermittent cold stress sensitises the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal response to a novel acute stress by enhancing noradrenergic influence in the rat paraventricular nucleusS Ma
Department of Pharmacology and Center for Biomedical Neuroscience, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Neuroendocrinol 17:761-9. 2005..Thus, understanding the neural mechanisms underlying such adaptations may help us understand the aetiology of such disorders, and contribute to the future development of more effective treatment or prevention strategies...
- Modulation of motor function by stress: a novel concept of the effects of stress and corticosterone on behaviorGerlinde A Metz
Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience, University of Lethbridge, Lethbridge, AB, Canada T1K 3M4
Eur J Neurosci 22:1190-200. 2005..Groups of adult female Long-Evans rats underwent either a daily stress-inducing procedure (immobilization or swimming in cold water) or oral corticosterone treatment...
- Changes in norepinephrine and epinephrine concentrations in adrenal gland of the rats submitted to acute immobilization stressA Sanchez
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Bioscience, Sao Paulo State University UNESP, 18 618 000, Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Pharmacol Res 48:607-13. 2003..changes in epinephrine and norepinephrine concentration in adrenal gland obtained from rats submitted to acute immobilization stress...
- Stress-induced rise in endothelaemia, von Willebrand factor and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axis activation is reduced by pretreatment with pentoxifyllineD Jezova
Laboratory of Pharmacological Neuroendocrinology, Institute of Experimental Endocrinology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, Slovakia
J Physiol Pharmacol 54:329-38. 2003..c.) once daily for 7 days and then exposed to single immobilization stress for 20 or 120 min...
- Mapping for Specialized Domains for FCeRI Signaling & InternalizationBridget S Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2010..for calcium flux, secretory response and cytokine production will correlate functional responses with receptor immobilization, clustering and desensitization...
- Restraint stress-induced neurogenic bladder inflammationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2006..molecules in response to allergic triggers, as well as by direct nerve stimulation and by acute immobilization stress...
- Stress Induces Skin Mast Cell Activation & VasodilationTheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2005..triggers, mast cells can also be activated by direct nerve stimulation, by neuropeptides, and by acute immobilization stress through the local release of corticotropin releasing hormone (CRH) or urocortin (Ucn), which is more ..
- Integrated Microfluidics for Nerve Regeneration Studies using Laser Nano-AxotomyAdela Ben Yakar; Fiscal Year: 2007..This microfluidic trap will facilitate the appropriate immobilization of the animals for precision nanosurgery of axons using femtosecond laser pulses and for imaging the re-growth ..
- Glucocorticoid control of gene expression during skeletal muscle atrophyJ DAVID contact FURLOW; Fiscal Year: 2010..David Skeletal muscle wasting, or atrophy, is a major human health concern. Immobilization, nerve damage, cachexia, sepsis, and aging induce significant and potentially life-threatening losses in ..
- CORTICOTROPIN RELEASING HORMONE INDUCED DURA MAST CELL ATheoharis Theoharides; Fiscal Year: 2001..Acute psychological stress by immobilization triggered dura mast cell degranulation and resulted in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) increase of rat mast cell ..
- Adaptive High Intensity Electrical Stimulation for Post-Surgical RehabilitationEric Hartman; Fiscal Year: 2007Recovery of quadriceps muscle force following post-surgical knee immobilization is a significant therapeutic aim which is associated with quality of gait and the ability to perform activities of daily living...
- SYNAPTIC MECHANISMS OF GENERAL ANESTHETIC ACTIONHugh C Hemmings; Fiscal Year: 2011..of anesthetic action is insufficient to explain how any anesthetic produces amnesia, unconsciousness or immobilization (with increasing doses), the cardinal features of general anesthesia...
- GENETIC CONTROL OF PROTEOGLYCAN METABOLISMJeffrey Esko; Fiscal Year: 2007..Heparan sulfate proteoglycans participate in a variety of physiological processes by binding, activation or immobilization of various protein ligands...
- Myofilament Protein Isoforms in Neuromuscular ReflexJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2005..It has been found that spastic muscles have increased type I (slow) fibers. Cerebral palsy, joint immobilization and tenotomy, three very different original conditions which cause muscle contracture, have a common ..
- Breast CT scanner for earlier cancer detectionJohn Boone; Fiscal Year: 2006..produce a scanner capable of 10 second breast scanning, and the scanner development will also include a breast immobilization system (acrylic cylinders), a breast CT table, a fast reconstruction computer, and a computer workstation ..
- Chemical Mapping of Chromate Uptake, Localization, and Reduction in Remediating BJOSEPH MK IRUDAYARAJ; Fiscal Year: 2010..metal ion-reducing bacteria (DMRB) remain potent, potentially cost-effective approaches to the reductive immobilization or detoxification of environmental contaminants...
- Chemical Mapping of Chromate Uptake, Localization, and Reduction in Remediating BJoseph Irudayaraj; Fiscal Year: 2009..metal ion-reducing bacteria (DMRB) remain potent, potentially cost-effective approaches to the reductive immobilization or detoxification of environmental contaminants...
- Rotator cuff tendon to bone insertion site healingLOUIS SOSLOWSKY; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Immobilization was found to result in better healing than either cage activity or exercise and the longer the period of ..
- Rotator cuff tendon to bone insertion site healingLOUIS SOSLOWSKY; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Immobilization was found to result in better healing than either cage activity or exercise and the longer the period of ..
- Rotator cuff tendon to bone insertion site healingLouis J Soslowsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Immobilization was found to result in better healing than either cage activity or exercise and the longer the period of ..
- Digital tomosynthesis: a new paradigm for radiation treatment verificationFang Fang Yin; Fiscal Year: 2007..g. breast), or those with substantial immobilization or support devices; 3) A high radiation dose (2-9 cGy) is delivered to the imaged volume with current imaging ..
- Biomedical Polymers With Heparin-Binding End GroupsRobert Ward; Fiscal Year: 2004Endpoint immobilization of heparin on the surface of polymeric biomaterials is a well-established method for improving thrombo-resistance...