Genomes and Genes
sensitivity and specificity
Summary: Measures for assessing the results of diagnostic and screening tests. Sensitivity represents the proportion of truly diseased persons in a screened population who are identified as being diseased by the test. It is a measure of the probability of correctly diagnosing a condition. Specificity is the proportion of truly nondiseased persons who are so identified by the screening test. It is a measure of the probability of correctly identifying a nondiseased person. (From Last, Dictionary of Epidemiology, 2d ed)
Publications418 found, 100 shown here
- Basic local alignment search toolS F Altschul
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20894
J Mol Biol 215:403-10. 1990..In addition to its flexibility and tractability to mathematical analysis, BLAST is an order of magnitude faster than existing sequence comparison tools of comparable sensitivity...
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analysesJulian P T Higgins
MRC Biostatistics Unit, Institute of Public Health, Cambridge CB2 2SR
BMJ 327:557-60. 2003
- Human papillomavirus is a necessary cause of invasive cervical cancer worldwideJ M Walboomers
Department of Pathology, University Hospital Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pathol 189:12-9. 1999..The extreme rarity of HPV-negative cancers reinforces the rationale for HPV testing in addition to, or even instead of, cervical cytology in routine cervical screening...
- Accurate whole human genome sequencing using reversible terminator chemistryDavid R Bentley
Illumina Cambridge Ltd Formerly Solexa Ltd, Chesterford Research Park, Little Chesterford, Nr Saffron Walden, Essex CB10 1XL, UK
Nature 456:53-9. 2008..Our approach is effective for accurate, rapid and economical whole-genome re-sequencing and many other biomedical applications...
- Improved prediction of signal peptides: SignalP 3.0Jannick Dyrløv Bendtsen
Center for Biological Sequence Analysis, BioCentrum DTU, Building 208, Technical University of Denmark, DK 2800 Lyngby, Denmark
J Mol Biol 340:783-95. 2004..The new method has been benchmarked against other available methods. Predictions can be made at the publicly available web server..
- Serum microRNAs are promising novel biomarkersShlomit Gilad
Rosetta Genomics Ltd, Rehovot, Israel
PLoS ONE 3:e3148. 2008..Here we show that microRNAs, a family of small non-coding regulatory RNAs involved in human development and pathology, are present in bodily fluids and represent new effective biomarkers...
- Loop-mediated isothermal amplification of DNAT Notomi
Eiken Chemical Co Ltd, 1381 3 Shimoishigami, Ohtawara, Tochigi 324 0036, Japan, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Medicine, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Nucleic Acids Res 28:E63. 2000..Because LAMP recognizes the target by six distinct sequences initially and by four distinct sequences afterwards, it is expected to amplify the target sequence with high selectivity...
- Genome sequencing in microfabricated high-density picolitre reactorsMarcel Margulies
454 Life Sciences Corp, 20 Commercial Street, Branford, Connecticut 06405, USA
Nature 437:376-80. 2005..Here we show the utility, throughput, accuracy and robustness of this system by shotgun sequencing and de novo assembly of the Mycoplasma genitalium genome with 96% coverage at 99.96% accuracy in one run of the machine...
- T-Coffee: A novel method for fast and accurate multiple sequence alignmentC Notredame
National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, London, NW7 1AA, UK
J Mol Biol 302:205-17. 2000..The improvement, especially clear with the more difficult test cases, is always visible, regardless of the phylogenetic spread of the sequences in the tests...
- The validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. An updated literature reviewIngvar Bjelland
Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, Section for Preventive Medicine, Haukeland Hospital, Armauer Hansen Building, University of Bergen, N 5021, Bergen, Norway
J Psychosom Res 52:69-77. 2002..To review the literature of the validity of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS)...
- Quantification of coronary artery calcium using ultrafast computed tomographyA S Agatston
Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, Florida 33140
J Am Coll Cardiol 15:827-32. 1990..Ultrafast computed tomography is an excellent tool for detecting and quantifying coronary artery calcium...
- A new statistical method for haplotype reconstruction from population dataM Stephens
Department of Statistics, University of Oxford
Am J Hum Genet 68:978-89. 2001..Furthermore, our algorithm performs well in absolute terms, suggesting that reconstructing haplotypes experimentally or by genotyping additional family members may be an inefficient use of resources...
- Acute renal failure - definition, outcome measures, animal models, fluid therapy and information technology needs: the Second International Consensus Conference of the Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative (ADQI) GroupRinaldo Bellomo
Department of Intensive Care and Medicine, Austin Health, Melbourne, Australia
Crit Care 8:R204-12. 2004..Accordingly, we sought to review the available evidence, make recommendations and delineate key questions for future studies...
- Feasibility, diagnostic accuracy, and effectiveness of decentralised use of the Xpert MTB/RIF test for diagnosis of tuberculosis and multidrug resistance: a multicentre implementation studyCatharina C Boehme
Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 377:1495-505. 2011..Cepheid, Sunnyvale, CA, USA) can detect tuberculosis and its multidrug-resistant form with very high sensitivity and specificity in controlled studies, but no performance data exist from district and subdistrict health facilities in ..
- Gene-expression profiles to predict distant metastasis of lymph-node-negative primary breast cancerYixin Wang
Veridex LLC, a Johnson and Johnson Company, San Diego, CA, USA
Lancet 365:671-9. 2005....
- Accuracy of urine circulating cathodic antigen (CCA) test for Schistosoma mansoni diagnosis in different settings of Côte d'IvoireJean T Coulibaly
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e1384. 2011..We assessed the accuracy of a commercially available CCA cassette test (designated CCA-A) and an experimental formulation (CCA-B) for S. mansoni diagnosis...
- Cerebrospinal fluid biomarker signature in Alzheimer's disease neuroimaging initiative subjectsLeslie M Shaw
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Institute on Aging, Center for Neurodegenerative Disease Research, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Ann Neurol 65:403-13. 2009..Develop a cerebrospinal fluid biomarker signature for mild Alzheimer's disease (AD) in Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) subjects...
- A serum autoantibody marker of neuromyelitis optica: distinction from multiple sclerosisVanda A Lennon
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Lancet 364:2106-12. 2004..We assessed the capacity of a putative marker for neuromyelitis optica (NMO-IgG) to distinguish neuromyelitis optica and related disorders from multiple sclerosis...
- Quantification of rare allelic variants from pooled genomic DNATodd E Druley
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Nat Methods 6:263-5. 2009..Our base-calling algorithm, SNPSeeker, derived from large deviation theory, detected single-nucleotide polymorphisms present at frequencies below the raw error rate of the sequencing platform...
- Genome-wide mapping of in vivo protein-DNA interactionsDavid S Johnson
Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, 94305 5120, USA
Science 316:1497-502. 2007..These ChIPSeq data also have high sensitivity and specificity [ROC (receiver operator characteristic) area >/= 0...
- A simple noninvasive index can predict both significant fibrosis and cirrhosis in patients with chronic hepatitis CChun Tao Wai
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Hepatology 38:518-26. 2003..Application of this index may decrease the need for staging liver biopsy specimens among CHC patients...
- Systematic reviews of diagnostic test accuracyMariska M G Leeflang
Dutch Cochrane Centre and Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Intern Med 149:889-97. 2008..Challenges that remain are the poor reporting of original diagnostic test accuracy studies and difficulties with the interpretation of the results of diagnostic test accuracy research...
- Targeted capture and massively parallel sequencing of 12 human exomesSarah B Ng
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Nature 461:272-6. 2009..This strategy may be extendable to diseases with more complex genetics through larger sample sizes and appropriate weighting of non-synonymous variants by predicted functional impact...
- Diagnosis of soil-transmitted helminths in the era of preventive chemotherapy: effect of multiple stool sampling and use of different diagnostic techniquesStefanie Knopp
Department of Public Health and Epidemiology, Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2:e331. 2008..In this study, we focused on schoolchildren on Unguja Island, Zanzibar, an area where anthelminthic drugs have been repeatedly administered over the past decade...
- SSAHA: a fast search method for large DNA databasesZ Ning
Informatics Division, The Sanger Centre, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK
Genome Res 11:1725-9. 2001..The SSAHA algorithm is used for high-throughput single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) detection and very large scale sequence assembly. Also, it provides Web-based sequence search facilities for Ensembl projects...
- Detection of cancer with serum miRNAs on an oligonucleotide microarrayMichael J Lodes
CombiMatrix Corporation, Mukilteo, WA, USA
PLoS ONE 4:e6229. 2009..In addition, we are able to use these expression patterns to correctly discriminate between normal and cancer patient samples...
- Variance stabilization applied to microarray data calibration and to the quantification of differential expressionWolfgang Huber
Department of Molecular Genome Analysis, German Cancer Research Center, INF 280, Heidelberg, 69120, Germany
Bioinformatics 18:S96-104. 2002..We demonstrate our approach on data sets from different experimental platforms, including two-colour cDNA arrays and a series of Affymetrix oligonucleotide arrays...
- Absolute quantification of mRNA using real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction assaysS A Bustin
Academic Department of Surgery, St Bartholomew s and the Royal London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary and Westfield College, London E1 1BB, UK
J Mol Endocrinol 25:169-93. 2000..It illustrates the usefulness of these assays by demonstrating the significantly different levels of transcription between individuals of the housekeeping gene family, glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate-dehydrogenase (GAPDH)...
- Meta-DiSc: a software for meta-analysis of test accuracy dataJavier Zamora
Clinical Biostatistics Unit, Ramon y Cajal Hospital, Spain
BMC Med Res Methodol 6:31. 2006..In this article, we present Meta-DiSc, a Windows-based, user-friendly, freely available (for academic use) software that we have developed, piloted, and validated to perform diagnostic meta-analysis...
- The diagnostic odds ratio: a single indicator of test performanceAfina S Glas
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Amsterdam, Academic Medical Center, Post Office Box 22700, 100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 56:1129-35. 2003..Several indicators of diagnostic performance have been proposed, such as sensitivity and specificity. Using paired indicators can be a disadvantage in comparing the performance of competing tests, ..
- The global burden of typhoid feverJohn A Crump
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, MS A 38, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Bull World Health Organ 82:346-53. 2004..To use new data to make a revised estimate of the global burden of typhoid fever, an accurate understanding of which is necessary to guide public health decisions for disease control and prevention efforts...
- New real-time reverse transcriptase-initiated PCR assay with single-copy sensitivity for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RNA in plasmaSarah Palmer
HIV Drug Resistance Program, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Frederick, Maryland 21702 1201, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:4531-6. 2003....
- Stem cell transcriptome profiling via massive-scale mRNA sequencingNicole Cloonan
Expression Genomics Laboratory, Institute for Molecular Bioscience, The University of Queensland, 306 Carmody Road, St Lucia, Queensland, 4072, Australia
Nat Methods 5:613-9. 2008....
- Interferon-γ release assays for the diagnosis of latent Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection: a systematic review and meta-analysisR Diel
Dept of Pneumology, Medical School Hanover, Hanover, Germany
Eur Respir J 37:88-99. 2011..IGRAs may have a relative advantage over the TST in detecting LTBI and allow the exclusion of M. tuberculosis infection with higher reliability...
- Validation and utility of a self-report version of PRIME-MD: the PHQ primary care study. Primary Care Evaluation of Mental Disorders. Patient Health QuestionnaireR L Spitzer
Biometrics Research Department, New York State Psychiatric Institute, and Columbia University, New York 10032, USA
JAMA 282:1737-44. 1999..The Primary Care Evaluation of Mental Disorders (PRIME-MD) was developed as a screening instrument but its administration time has limited its clinical usefulness...
- Quantification of mRNA using real-time reverse transcription PCR (RT-PCR): trends and problemsS A Bustin
Academic Department of Surgery, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, London E1 1BB, UK
J Mol Endocrinol 29:23-39. 2002....
- Plasmodium knowlesi malaria in humans is widely distributed and potentially life threateningJanet Cox-Singh
Malaria Research Centre, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University Malaysia Sarawak, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo
Clin Infect Dis 46:165-71. 2008..The objectives of the present study were to determine the geographic distribution of P. knowlesi malaria in the human population in Malaysia and to investigate 4 suspected fatal cases...
- Comparing diagnostic accuracy of Kato-Katz, Koga agar plate, ether-concentration, and FLOTAC for Schistosoma mansoni and soil-transmitted helminthsDominik Glinz
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e754. 2010..Accurate diagnosis is crucial for patient management, drug efficacy evaluations, and monitoring of large-scale community-based control programs...
- Xpert® MTB/RIF assay: development, evaluation and implementation of a new rapid molecular diagnostic for tuberculosis and rifampicin resistanceStephen D Lawn
The Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute for Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Anzio Road, Observatory 7925, Cape Town, South Africa
Future Microbiol 6:1067-82. 2011..Following endorsement by the WHO in 2010, we consider the next steps in the implementation of the assay and its potential impact in high burden settings...
- Phase-sensitive inversion recovery for detecting myocardial infarction using gadolinium-delayed hyperenhancementPeter Kellman
Laboratory of Cardiac Energetics, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1061, USA
Magn Reson Med 47:372-83. 2002..Phase-sensitive detection also has the advantage of decreasing the sensitivity to changes in tissue T(1) with increasing delay from contrast agent injection...
- Time-dependent ROC curves for censored survival data and a diagnostic markerP J Heagerty
Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Biometrics 56:337-44. 2000ROC curves are a popular method for displaying sensitivity and specificity of a continuous diagnostic marker, X, for a binary disease variable, D...
- Bivariate analysis of sensitivity and specificity produces informative summary measures in diagnostic reviewsJohannes B Reitsma
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22700, 1100 DE Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 58:982-90. 2005Studies of diagnostic accuracy most often report pairs of sensitivity and specificity. We demonstrate the advantage of using bivariate meta-regression models to analyze such data.
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay specific to Dengue virus type 1 nonstructural protein NS1 reveals circulation of the antigen in the blood during the acute phase of disease in patients experiencing primary or secondary infectionsSophie Alcon
Unité des Arbovirus et Virus des Fièvres Hémorragiques, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Clin Microbiol 40:376-81. 2002..Furthermore, NS1 circulation in the bloodstream of patients during the clinical phase of the disease suggests a contribution of the nonstructural protein to dengue virus pathogenesis...
- A global test for groups of genes: testing association with a clinical outcomeJelle J Goeman
Department of Medical Statistics, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9604, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Bioinformatics 20:93-9. 2004..Groups of genes may be any size from a single gene to all genes on the chip (e.g. known pathways, specific areas of the genome or clusters from a cluster analysis)...
- Bead-based multiplex genotyping of human papillomavirusesMarkus Schmitt
Research Program Infection and Cancer, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 242, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 44:504-12. 2006..922) but also indicated a higher sensitivity of MPG. In conclusion, MPG appears to be highly suitable for large-scale epidemiological studies and vaccination trials as well as for routine diagnostic purposes...
- Ante mortem diagnosis of tuberculosis in cattle: a review of the tuberculin tests, gamma-interferon assay and other ancillary diagnostic techniquesR de la Rua-Domenech
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Tuberculosis Division, 1A Page Street, London SW1P 4PQ, United Kingdom
Res Vet Sci 81:190-210. 2006..The key measure of diagnostic test accuracy is the relationship between sensitivity and specificity, which determines the false-positive and false-negative proportions...
- Update on rapid diagnostic testing for malariaClinton K Murray
Infectious Disease Service, Brooke Army Medical Center, 3851 Roger Brooke Drive, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 21:97-110. 2008..This review highlights RDTs, including challenges in assessing their performance, internationally available RDTs, their effectiveness in various health care settings, and the selection of RDTs for different health care systems...
- Association of sub-microscopic malaria parasite carriage with transmission intensity in north-eastern TanzaniaAlphaxard Manjurano
Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, WC1E 7HT, London, UK
Malar J 10:370. 2011..The PCR prevalence was then compared against other measures of transmission intensity collected in the same area...
- Evidence-based comparison of commercial interferon-gamma release assays for detecting active TB: a metaanalysisRoland Diel
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Hannover Medical School MHH, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Chest 137:952-68. 2010..This metaanalysis critically appraises studies investigating sensitivity and specificity of the commercial T-Spot...
- MethPrimer: designing primers for methylation PCRsLong Cheng Li
Department of Urology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
Bioinformatics 18:1427-31. 2002..Therefore, the present study was designed to develop a program for such applications...
- Overview of the European and North American studies on HPV testing in primary cervical cancer screeningJack Cuzick
Cancer Research UK, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, London
Int J Cancer 119:1095-101. 2006..More than 60,000 women were included. The sensitivity and specificity of HPV testing were compared with routine cytology, both overall and for ages <35, 35-49 and 50+...
- A hierarchical regression approach to meta-analysis of diagnostic test accuracy evaluationsC M Rutter
Group Health Cooperative, Center for Health Studies, 1730 Minor Avenue, Suite 1600, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Stat Med 20:2865-84. 2001..we describe a hierarchical regression model for meta-analysis of studies reporting estimates of test sensitivity and specificity. The model allows more between- and within-study variability than fixed-effect approaches, by allowing ..
- Autoantibody signatures in prostate cancerXiaoju Wang
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1224-35. 2005..New biomarkers, such as autoantibody signatures, may improve the early detection of prostate cancer...
- Low quality of routine microscopy for malaria at different levels of the health system in Dar es SalaamJudith Kahama-Maro
City Medical Office of Health, Dar es Salaam City Council, P O Box 63320, Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
Malar J 10:332. 2011....
- Biochemical markers of liver fibrosis in patients with hepatitis C virus infection: a prospective studyF Imbert-Bismut
Department of Biochemistry, , Paris, France
Lancet 357:1069-75. 2001..60 to 1.00 (34%  of all patients). INTERPRETATION: A combination of basic serum markers could be used to substantially reduce the number of liver biopsies done in patients with chronic HCV infection...
- Rapid detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and rifampin resistance by use of on-demand, near-patient technologyDanica Helb
Department of Medicine, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry, New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:229-37. 2010..2%) susceptible cases. Specificity rose to 100% after correcting for a conventional susceptibility test error. In conclusion, this highly sensitive and simple-to-use system can detect M. tuberculosis directly from sputum in less than 2 h...
- Human papillomavirus testing for the detection of high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and cancer: final results of the POBASCAM randomised controlled trialDorien C Rijkaart
Department of Pathology, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Lancet Oncol 13:78-88. 2012..The aim of this study was to assess whether HPV DNA testing in the first screen decreases detection of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) grade 3 or worse, CIN grade 2 or worse, and cervical cancer in the second screening...
- Quantitative detection of increasing HIV type 1 antibodies after seroconversion: a simple assay for detecting recent HIV infection and estimating incidenceBharat S Parekh
Division of AIDS, STD, TB Laboratory Research, and Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 18:295-307. 2002..0 OD-n and a seroconversion period of 160 days offered the best combination of sensitivity and specificity for classifying incident or long-term infections...
- PCR diagnosis and characterization of Leishmania in local and imported clinical samplesGabriele Schonian
Institute of Microbiology and Hygiene, Humboldt University, Charite, Berlin, Germany
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 47:349-58. 2003..113 cases (69.7%) were positive by PCR and species identification was possible in 110 samples. Leishmania DNA was also amplified and identified at the species level from archived non-stained and Giemsa stained microscope slides...
- Statistics review 13: receiver operating characteristic curvesViv Bewick
School of Computing, Mathematical and Information Sciences, University of Brighton, Brighton, UK
Crit Care 8:508-12. 2004..The sensitivity, specificity and likelihood ratio of a test are discussed. The uses of the receiver operating characteristic curve and the area under the curve are explained...
- Distal symmetric polyneuropathy: a definition for clinical research: report of the American Academy of Neurology, the American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine, and the American Academy of Physical Medicine and RehabilitationJ D England
Neurology 64:199-207. 2005..The inclusion of this formalized case definition in clinical and epidemiologic research studies will ensure greater consistency of case selection...
- Prediction error estimation: a comparison of resampling methodsAnnette M Molinaro
Biostatistics Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, NCI, NIH, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Bioinformatics 21:3301-7. 2005..With a focus on prediction assessment, we compare several methods for estimating the 'true' prediction error of a prediction model in the presence of feature selection...
- Sensitive, seminested PCR amplification of VP1 sequences for direct identification of all enterovirus serotypes from original clinical specimensW Allan Nix
Polio and Picornavirus Laboratory Branch, Division of Viral Diseases, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 44:2698-704. 2006....
- Sputum processing methods to improve the sensitivity of smear microscopy for tuberculosis: a systematic reviewKaren R Steingart
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 6:664-74. 2006..Operational studies are needed to determine whether the increased sensitivity provided by processing methods is sufficient to offset their increased cost, complexity, and potential biohazards, and to examine their feasibility...
- A large proportion of asymptomatic Plasmodium infections with low and sub-microscopic parasite densities in the low transmission setting of Temotu Province, Solomon Islands: challenges for malaria diagnostics in an elimination settingIvor Harris
Australian Army Malaria Institute, Weary Dunlop Drive, Gallipoli Barracks Enoggera, QLD 4051, Australia
Malar J 9:254. 2010....
- False-negative rapid diagnostic tests for malaria and deletion of the histidine-rich repeat region of the hrp2 geneOusmane A Koita
Mali Tulane Tropical Medicine Research Center, Faculty of Medicine, Pharmacy, and Dentistry, University of Bamako, Bamako, Mali
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:194-8. 2012..These findings suggest that the use of HRP2-based RDTs should be reconsidered...
- New testing strategy to detect early HIV-1 infection for use in incidence estimates and for clinical and prevention purposesR S Janssen
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 280:42-8. 1998..Differentiating individuals with early human immunodeficiency virus 1 (HIV-1) infection from those infected for longer periods is difficult but important for estimating HIV incidence and for purposes of clinical care and prevention...
- Validation and application of verbal autopsies in a rural area of South AfricaK Kahn
Health Systems Development Unit, Department of Community Health, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Trop Med Int Health 5:824-31. 2000..To validate the causes of death determined with a single verbal autopsy instrument covering all age groups in the Agincourt subdistrict of rural South Africa...
- Breast disease: clinical application of US elastography for diagnosisAko Itoh
Department of Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Tsukuba University Hospital, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan
Radiology 239:341-50. 2006....
- The reliability of diagnostic techniques in the diagnosis and management of malaria in the absence of a gold standardL B Ochola
Centre for Geographic Medicine Research, KEMRI, Kilifi, Kenya
Lancet Infect Dis 6:582-8. 2006..Microscopy still remains more reliable in detecting non-falciparum infections...
- Dynamic repertoire of a eukaryotic transcriptome surveyed at single-nucleotide resolutionBrian T Wilhelm
Cancer Research UK Fission Yeast Functional Genomics Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1HH, UK
Nature 453:1239-43. 2008..Splicing efficiency was largely coordinated with transcript levels, and increased transcription led to increased splicing in test genes. Hundreds of introns showed such regulated splicing during cellular proliferation or differentiation...
- Development of a standardized screening rule for tuberculosis in people living with HIV in resource-constrained settings: individual participant data meta-analysis of observational studiesHaileyesus Getahun
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Med 8:e1000391. 2011..We conducted an individual participant data meta-analysis of primary studies, aiming to identify a sensitive TB screening rule...
- High throughput multiplex PCR and probe-based detection with Luminex beads for seven intestinal parasitesMami Taniuchi
Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA22908, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:332-7. 2011..the parent multiplex real-time PCR assays, this multiplex PCR-bead assay afforded between 83% and 100% sensitivity and specificity on a total of 319 clinical specimens...
- Highly sensitive and specific detection of rare variants in mixed viral populations from massively parallel sequence dataAlexander R Macalalad
Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS Comput Biol 8:e1002417. 2012..deep sequence data sets is the ability to distinguish biological variants from process errors with high sensitivity and specificity. To address this challenge, we describe V-Phaser, an algorithm able to recognize rare biological ..
- Neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) as a biomarker for acute renal injury after cardiac surgeryJaya Mishra
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
Lancet 365:1231-8. 2005..We tested the hypothesis that neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) is an early biomarker for ischaemic renal injury after cardiopulmonary bypass...
- General considerations for lung function testingM R Miller
University Hospital Birmingham NHS Trust, UK
Eur Respir J 26:153-61. 2005
- A new rating scale for age-related white matter changes applicable to MRI and CTL O Wahlund
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Neurotec, Karolinska Institutet at Huddinge University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Stroke 32:1318-22. 2001..We have developed and evaluated a new scale and studied ARWMC in a large number of patients examined with both MRI and CT...
- The use of multiple novel tumor biomarkers for the detection of ovarian carcinoma in patients with a pelvic massRichard G Moore
Women and Infants Hospital, Brown University, Providence, RI 02925, USA
Gynecol Oncol 108:402-8. 2008..Because elevated CA125 levels occur in many benign gynecologic conditions, we set out to identify other novel biomarkers that would increase the sensitivity and specificity of CA125.
- Defining the true sensitivity of culture for the diagnosis of melioidosis using Bayesian latent class modelsDirek Limmathurotsakul
Department of Tropical Hygiene, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
PLoS ONE 5:e12485. 2010....
- Sensitive and rapid detection of Schistosoma japonicum DNA by loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)J Xu
Medical College of Soochow University, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, People s Republic of China
Int J Parasitol 40:327-31. 2010..The established LAMP assay should provide a useful and practical tool for the routine diagnosis and therapeutic evaluation of human schistosomiasis...
- Understanding diagnostic tests 3: Receiver operating characteristic curvesAnthony K Akobeng
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Central Manchester and Manchester Children s University Hospitals, Booth Hall Children s Hospital, Manchester, UK
Acta Paediatr 96:644-7. 2007..The sensitivity and specificity of a test vary according to the level that is chosen as the cut-off point...
- Protein detection using proximity-dependent DNA ligation assaysSimon Fredriksson
The Beijer Laboratory, Department of Genetics and Pathology, Rudbeck Laboratory, SE 75185 Uppsala, Sweden
Nat Biotechnol 20:473-7. 2002..This proximity ligation assay detects zeptomole (40 x 10(-21) mol) amounts of the cytokine platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) without washes or separations, and the mechanism can be generalized to other forms of protein analysis...
- Efficacy of human papillomavirus testing for the detection of invasive cervical cancers and cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: a randomised controlled trialGuglielmo Ronco
Centre for Cancer Prevention, Turin, Italy
Lancet Oncol 11:249-57. 2010..We assessed the efficacy of cervical-cancer screening policies that are based on HPV testing...
- Accuracy of CT colonography for detection of large adenomas and cancersC Daniel Johnson
Mayo Clinic Arizona, Scottsdale, AZ, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1207-17. 2008..Computed tomographic (CT) colonography is a noninvasive option in screening for colorectal cancer. However, its accuracy as a screening tool in asymptomatic adults has not been well defined...
- Towards high-throughput molecular detection of Plasmodium: new approaches and molecular markersNicolas Steenkeste
Institut Pasteur du Cambodge, Laboratoire d Epidemiologie Moleculaire, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Malar J 8:86. 2009..But sensitive diagnosis tools enabling to deal with a large number of samples are needed. The molecular detection approach offers a much higher sensitivity, and the flexibility to be automated and upgraded...
- A sensitive cardiac troponin T assay in stable coronary artery diseaseTorbjørn Omland
Division of Medicine, Akershus University Hospital, Lørenskog, Norway
N Engl J Med 361:2538-47. 2009..The distribution and determinants of very low circulating troponin T levels, as well as their association with cardiovascular events, in such patients are unknown...
- Evaluation of urine CCA assays for detection of Schistosoma mansoni infection in Western KenyaHillary L Shane
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 5:e951. 2011..Our results suggest that urine-based assays for CCA may be valuable in screening for S. mansoni infections...
- Detection of four Plasmodium species in blood from humans by 18S rRNA gene subunit-based and species-specific real-time PCR assaysMathieu Rougemont
Institute of Microbiology, University Hospital of Lausanne, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 42:5636-43. 2004..This suggests a role of quantitative PCR for the monitoring of patients receiving antimalaria therapy...
- Strategies for containing an emerging influenza pandemic in Southeast AsiaNeil M Ferguson
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Nature 437:209-14. 2005..Policy effectiveness depends critically on how quickly clinical cases are diagnosed and the speed with which antiviral drugs can be distributed...
- Facile means for quantifying microRNA expression by real-time PCRRui Shi
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7247, USA
Biotechniques 39:519-25. 2005..This method also revealed miRNA tissue-specific expression patterns that cannot be resolved by Northern blot analysis and may therefore be widely useful for characterizing miRNA expression in plants as well as in animals...
- Human papillomavirus and Papanicolaou tests to screen for cervical cancerPontus Naucler
Department of Medical Microbiology, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
N Engl J Med 357:1589-97. 2007....
- Rapid molecular detection of tuberculosis and rifampin resistanceCatharina C Boehme
Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics, Geneva, Switzerland
N Engl J Med 363:1005-15. 2010..Early detection is essential to reduce the death rate and interrupt transmission, but the complexity and infrastructure needs of sensitive methods limit their accessibility and effect...
- Discovery and validation of new protein biomarkers for urothelial cancer: a prospective analysisDan Theodorescu
Department of Molecular Physiology, Mellon Prostate Cancer Institute, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Lancet Oncol 7:230-40. 2006..We aimed to use mass spectrometry and bioinformatics to define and validate a cancer-specific proteomic pattern...
- Malaria misdiagnosis in Uganda--implications for policy changeJoan Nankabirwa
Malaria Consortium, Africa Regional Office, Kampala, Uganda
Malar J 8:66. 2009..In this study, the policy implications of such recommendations are revisited...
- Evaluation of three parasite lactate dehydrogenase-based rapid diagnostic tests for the diagnosis of falciparum and vivax malariaElizabeth A Ashley
Epicentre, Paris, France
Malar J 8:241. 2009..In areas where non-falciparum malaria is common rapid diagnostic tests (RDTs) capable of distinguishing malaria species reliably are needed. Such tests are often based on the detection of parasite lactate dehydrogenase (pLDH)...
- Diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasisPankaj Srivastava
Department of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 105:1-6. 2011..A simple, rapid, non invasive, accurate and cost effective marker of active VL, which can be used in field conditions, is necessary to improve diagnosis of VL...
- Applied genomics: data mining reveals species-specific malaria diagnostic targets more sensitive than 18S rRNAAllison Demas
Malaria Branch, Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria, Center for Global Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30602, USA
J Clin Microbiol 49:2411-8. 2011..vivax strains and 96 P. vivax clinical isolates from Venezuela, and we have verified a sensitivity and specificity of ∼100% for both targets compared with a nested 18S rRNA approach...
- Performance assessment of the GenoType MTBDRsl test and DNA sequencing for detection of second-line and ethambutol drug resistance among patients infected with multidrug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosisWei Lun Huang
Reference Laboratory of Mycobacteriology, Research and Diagnostic Center, Centers for Disease Control, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Clin Microbiol 49:2502-8. 2011..We recommend including new alleles consisting of the eis promoter and embB genes in molecular analysis. However, conventional DST is necessary to rule out false-negative results from molecular assays...
- Prevalence and density-related concordance of three diagnostic tests for malaria in a region of Tanzania with hypoendemic malariaStephen E Schachterle
Department of Epidemiology, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Clin Microbiol 49:3885-91. 2011..falciparum parasite rate and parasite densities are highest. Real-time PCR is more sensitive and specific than RDT and microscopy in low-prevalence, low-parasite-density settings...
- A multicenter evaluation of diagnostic tools to define endpoints for programs to eliminate bancroftian filariasisKatherine Gass
Lymphatic Filariasis Support Center, The Task Force for Global Health, Decatur, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1479. 2012..diagnostic, the ICT is relatively inexpensive, requires no laboratory equipment, has satisfactory sensitivity and specificity and can be processed in 10 minutes-qualities consistent with programmatic use...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- Discovery metabolite profiling of the prolyl peptidasesAlan Saghatelian; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, the application of DMP to peptidases will demonstrate the generality of this approach for the future characterization of medically relevant enzymes and signaling pathways. ..
- Personalized Clinical Diagnostics and Beyond: Integrated Ring Resonator ArraysRyan Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2009..This technology promises to broadly impact the landscape of the biomedical sciences, both meeting the clinical diagnostic challenges of today and pioneering the paradigm-shifting discoveries of tomorrow. ..
- High Throughput Genotyping and DNA Sequencing for Studying the Genetic ContributiSonia Dua; Fiscal Year: 2013..The contractor is responsible for providing staff with the credentials required by CLIA. ..
- Transcription factors regulating sensory gene expression and pain pathwaysEric E Turner; Fiscal Year: 2011..Together these studies will significantly advance our understanding of the molecular regulation of pain receptor pathways, which may form the basis for future pain treatments. ..
- Lauren Endres; Fiscal Year: 2014..Overall, these findings will form the basis of future studies into Abh8 regulation during the DDR. ..
- Pyruvate Dehydrogenase kinase as Therapeutic Target for Hepatic Steatosis, ObesitRobert A Harris; Fiscal Year: 2012..We therefore believe the proposed work has the potential to have a significant impact on the health care of Veterans. ..
- Jill M Wecht; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Pilot and definitive studies to evaluate Insertional MutagenesisLU TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2012..in Beagle Dog via Implantable Telemetry: This study has been awarded to the lab to determine the sensitivity and specificity of the conscious canine radio telemetry model for the evaluation of QT interval prolongation using six ..
- Cory Teuscher; Fiscal Year: 2014....
- Iron-mediated vascular disease in sickle cell disease.John C Wood; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal represents an essential first step in the design of a subsequent clinical trial to improve vascular function in SCD patients. ..
- Studies to Evaluate the Toxicological Potential of Test ArticlesLU TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..in Beagle Dog via Implantable Telemetry: This study has been awarded to the lab to determine the sensitivity and specificity of the conscious canine radio telemetry model for the evaluation of QT interval prolongation using six ..
- Pharmacogenetics of obesity and endocannabinergic modulation (POEM)Russell A Wilke; Fiscal Year: 2012..In the future, individual patients with variation in these genes may benefit from targeted behavioral and/or pharmacological interventions designed to improve their health. ..
- Role of Chromogranin A in Metabolic SyndromeSushil K Mahata; Fiscal Year: 2013..2. Evaluate the potential therapeutic effects of CST and its variants on insulin sensitivity and baroreflex sensitivity and heart rate variability in high fat diet-induced insulin resistant and in db/db diabetic mice. ..
- Effective treatment of sleep apnea in prediabetes to reduce cardiometabolic riskEsra Tasali; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results of this research may provide a better understanding of ways to prevent and/or treat diabetes and its cardiovascular complications for millions of Americans. ..
- Ang II and Aldosterone Effects on Insulin Resistance in Cardiovascular TissueJAMES RUSSELL SOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..A better understanding of factors involved in insulin resistance should enable development of therapeutic targets to help prevent diabetes and cardiovascular disease. ..
- Gamma-Synuclein-Mediated Regulation of Norepinephrine TransporterAnita Sidhu; Fiscal Year: 2010..This grant is also relevant for the ARRA in that it will immediately create 3 new professional jobs. ..
- Optimized Growth Media to Detect Intracellular Bacteria Implicated in Chronic DisPATRICIA MASCARELLI; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- Role of SAMe on UBC9 and sumolyation in liver cancer and alcoholic liver injuryMaria Lauda Tomasi; Fiscal Year: 2012..Three aims are proposed in this application to test these hypotheses and elucidate how SAMe affects signaling pathways that are important in hepatocarcinogenesis and development of alcoholic liver injury. ..
- CRF-Oxytocin Interaction in the Regulation of Stress and AffectJoanna Dabrowska; Fiscal Year: 2013..My career objective is to conduct independent research to understand how stress and affect interact and elucidate their respective roles in the etiology of mental disorders like depression and anxiety. ..
- Roby Greenwald; Fiscal Year: 2016..In addition, we will actively engage in a process of biomarker discovery and evaluation. ..
- JAMES RUSSELL SOWERS; Fiscal Year: 2015..A better understanding of factors involved in insulin resistance should help in the development of therapeutic targets to help prevent diabetes and cardiovascular disease. ..
- Role of Txnip in adapting fuel metabolism to nutritional stateSIMON HUI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Results of this proposed research will provide fundamental information that may lead to better prevention and/or therapeutics for diabetes and cardiovascular disease in humans. ..
- Impact of the P479L Variant in CPT1A on Infant Mortality in AlaskaDavid M Koeller; Fiscal Year: 2011..The results of this study will aid in the development of evidence-based guidelines for the treatment of Alaska Native infants diagnosed with CPT1A deficiency by newborn screening. ..
- Response to and signals of caloric restriction and intermittent feeding regimensMARC KOPEL HELLERSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Role of SCD1 and Dietary Methionine Restriction on Energy HomeostasisERIC PAUL PLAISANCE; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- METABOLIC SYNDROME AND PERIODONTITIS IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENMichael J LaMonte; Fiscal Year: 2013..The existing resources for this secondary data analysis provide an unprecedented cost- efficient opportunity to build on established work and expand knowledge in this important area of public health. ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF INSULIN RESISTANCEMaureen J Charron; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results of these studies may yield new information for setting guidelines for pregnant and lactating women that may protect offspring from enhanced susceptibility to these metabolic diseases. ..
- Mark W Chapleau; Fiscal Year: 2015..Inhibition of Ang II-mediated effects by activation of CGRP/RAMP1 receptors has widespread implications in hypertension and heart failure. ..
- Genetic and physiological causes of inherited Vascular and Metabolic DiseasesArya Mani; Fiscal Year: 2013..The current study goals are investigating the effect of the mutation on metabolism of glucose and insulin secretion and function in patients with this mutation. ..
- David A Bernlohr; Fiscal Year: 2014..If the hypothesis is proven to be correct, the study would be immediately translatable to human biology and afford a new view of how type 2 diabetes may be combated. ..
- Hepcidin-based screening for infantile iron deficiencyMark D Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ANIL KUMAR JAISWAL; Fiscal Year: 2014..The studies may also provide the basis for further analysis of identified targets (cis- and trans-elements) that could ultimately allow us to increase the chemoprotective capacity of cells. ..
- INSULIN RECEPTORS AND THE GLUCOSE TRANSPORT SYSTEMJERROLD MICHAEL OLEFSKY; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies should lead to an improved understanding of the basic causes of Type 2 diabetes mellitus and hold the potential for new therapeutic modalities. ..
- CYNTHIA T MCEVOY; Fiscal Year: 2016..End of Abstract) ..
- Melissa A Rosenkranz; Fiscal Year: 2014..abstract_text> ..
- Rinn Song; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- A MicroRNA Approach to Screen for Sporadic Colon Cancer Exfoliately in Human StooFarid E Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2010..To establish clinical sensitivity and specificity, the miRNA results will be correlated with colonoscopy, FOBT and pathology data...
- BONE MATRIX AND BONE RESORPTIONPaul R Odgren; Fiscal Year: 2012..This proposal aims to investigate new genes that regulate the formation and activity of osteoclasts to better understand bone biology in general, and potentially to find new ways to treat these widespread bone disorders. ..
- Haifei Shi; Fiscal Year: 2015....
- Clinical , Mechanical and Chemical Evaluation of Amalgam and ART RestorationsLilliam Marie Pinzon; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- UTPAL BHAGIRATH PAJVANI; Fiscal Year: 2015..Pajvani will need in order to become an independent translational medical researcher and a productive member of the academic medical community. ..
- Osteocalcin and Metabolic Risk Factors. The Framingham StudyYi Hsiang Hsu; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Analyzer for Monitoring Personal Environmental Exposure to Fluids and MaterialsMATTHEW CUSACK; Fiscal Year: 2010..Other applications for this technology are expected to be part of the GEI, the National Children's Study (NCS), in workplace assessments of occupational exposure, hospitals, or other medical or research settings. ..
- Novel diagnostic and safety biomarkers of liver injury and hepatotoxicityStanislav I Svetlov; Fiscal Year: 2010..ASS in serum was developed, and sufficient data were obtained demonstrating the greater biomarker sensitivity and specificity in experimental models of liver injury compared to ALT/AST...
- The Relationship Between STK39, Salt Sensitivity, and HCTZ-induced BP ResponseYEN PEI CHRISTY CHANG; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ARNULF HANS WERNER KOEPPEN; Fiscal Year: 2014..The work is clinically relevant because it will resolve questions about iron in the formal pathogenesis and natural history of FRDA, and the potential value of iron chelation. ..
- Parathyroid Hormone & Vitamin D Effects on Salt Sensitivity and Vascular FunctionANNA LIZA BELEN VALINA TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- W Timothy Garvey; Fiscal Year: 2016..These data will predictably identify new diagnostic biomarkers for insulin resistance and T2DM, and advance our understanding of molecular mechanisms underlying human insulin resistance. ..
- ECG-derived cardiopulmonary coupling biomarkers of sleep, sleep-breathing, and caRobert J Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2010..pure chemoreflex-mediated sleep apnea, to adjust the spectrogram's parameters that allow the best sensitivity and specificity for detecting chemoreflex influences on sleep respiration...
- Surgical amelioration of type 2 diabetes: Hormones, microbiota and mitochondriaPETER J contact HAVEL; Fiscal Year: 2010..The contributions of alterations in the production of gastrointestinal and adipocyte hormones, changes of bile acids and intestinal microbial composition, as well as mitochondrial function will be assessed. ..
- Beverley Greenwood-Van Meerveld; Fiscal Year: 2016..Moreover, we will examine whether rats exposed to ELS show altered behavioral responses to chronic stress in adulthood compared to age-matched controls ..
- CHARLES RICHARD STEELE; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Bioassay for Breast Cancer PreventionJoEllen Welsh; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- The genetics and pathophysiology of impaired Wnt signaling in metabolic syndromeArya Mani; Fiscal Year: 2012..Moreover, we plan to screen number of families with inherited CAD, metabolic syndrome, and osteoporosis for mutations within this gene to identify novel mutations and to investigate their disease causing mechanisms. ..
- Sex Hormones in Postmenopausal Women in the Diabetes Prevention ProgramCatherine Kim; Fiscal Year: 2012..The SHIP study will provide insight into the pathophysiology of glucose intolerance, and the findings will have implications not only for diabetes prevention but also for other diseases that focus on sex hormones as mediators. ..
- Howard B Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2016....
- Y S Prakash; Fiscal Year: 2016..By establishing the role of neurotrophins in airway narrowing with or without inflammation, the proposed studies will the foundation for better understanding of airway diseases, and potential development of new therapeutic targets. ..
- Predicting Bilirubin-induced Auditory Toxicity in Infants with Severe JaundiceSanjiv B Amin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Receiver operating characteristic curves will be used to compare sensitivity and specificity for bilirubin-induced auditory toxicity of unbound bilirubin, bilirubin:albumin ratio, and total serum ..
- Metabolic Adapation and Control of Lactation in HumansMorey W Haymond; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Cornelia M Weyand; Fiscal Year: 2016..The studies will include vaccinating RA patients with an influenza vaccine to test whether they can build sufficient T cells to be protected from infection. ..
- Mechanism Underlying Nitrite Sensitivity of Mucoid Pseudomonas in COPDDaniel J Hassett; Fiscal Year: 2013..Improved treatment options, in this case the use of sodium nitrite for the management of COPD exacerbations precipitated by PA infection are needed to reduce mortality and morbidity. ..
- Advanced Center for Latino and MH Systems ResearchMargarita Alegria; Fiscal Year: 2009..drug abuse and alcohol abuse;Aim 2: Use data from an epidemiological survey to assess the potential sensitivity and specificity of the clinical determinations identified in Aim1 in detecting the underlying diagnosis...
- JYOTSNA S SHAH; Fiscal Year: 2014..5) Results can be obtained in one hour or less would be valuable. (6) Provides parasite morphology as the Giemsa stained smear. (7) Easy to perform. (8) Low Cost. ..
- Tb-FISH (Fluorescent in Situ Hybridization) Assay for Direct Detection of M. tubeJYOTSNA S SHAH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Unfortunately the acid-fast smear lacks both sensitivity and specificity. We demonstrated in Phase I that the MTB-FISH assay sensitivity in pure culture is between 1000 to 10,..
- DHA, Inflammation, and Insulin Sensitivity in Obese Pregnant WomenDebra Krummel; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Biomarkers of Interoceptive Awareness in Adolescent Anorexia NervosaNANCY L contact ZUCKER; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Novel Use of Confocal Microscopy on Cultured Porcine Corneas for Pre-Clinical TesMichelle Piehl; Fiscal Year: 2011..This would reduce overall product development cost and human test subject pain and distress while promoting robust product safety for public health. ..
- TB- FISH Assay for Direct Detection of M. tuberculosis in unprocessed sputumJyotsna Shah; Fiscal Year: 2007..Unfortunately the acid- fast smear prepared form unprocessed sputum lacks both sensitivity and specificity. TB-FISH (Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization) assay for direct detection of MTB in unprocessed sputum, ..
- GABRIELLE HELENA SAUNDERS; Fiscal Year: 2014..Results will contribute to the development of evidence-based intervention approaches for blast-exposed veterans with reported functional hearing difficulties and normal/near-normal auditory sensitivity. ..
- A Dual Resolution Cone Beam CT System for 3-D Breast ImagingChris C Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A Dual Resolution Cone Beam CT System for 3-D Breast ImagingChris Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Low-cost Large-area High-Sensitivity X-ray Panel Detector for Digital MammographyNEAL EUGENE HARTSOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mammography will benefit due to the improved spatial resolution and reduced cost from this unique combination of detector material and readout. ..
- EXERCISE AS A MEANS OF ENHANCING IMMUNITY IN THE AGEDJeffrey Woods; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- DNA methylation markers for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia IIIQinghua Feng; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hypothesize that DNA methylation markers can be used to detect CIN-3/CIS with higher sensitivity and specificity than cytology and HR-HPV tests, and will have clinical utility in reducing colposcopy referral rate for ..
- Development of a FISH-Based HPV-Associated Cancer Detection TestJane Houldsworth; Fiscal Year: 2009..Phase II;Specific Aim 2: Optimization of the FHACT in 1,000 cervical cytology specimens. The sensitivity and specificity of the FHACT will be determined for the entire dataset of 1,000 cervical cytology specimens and ..
- Glutathione reductase and tumor sensitivity to radiationXiangming Guan; Fiscal Year: 2003..The long-term objective is to develop a novel approach to increase cancer sensitivity to radiation. ..
- PAIN AND BETA-ENDORPHIN RESPONSES IN MEN AND WOMENDavid Sheps; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, naloxone will be introduced to determine if thee effects are mediated by beta-endorphin. ..