Genomes and Genes
Summary: A statistical analytic technique used with discrete dependent variables, concerned with separating sets of observed values and allocating new values. It is sometimes used instead of regression analysis.
Publications281 found, 100 shown here
- Discriminant analysis of principal components: a new method for the analysis of genetically structured populationsThibaut Jombart
MRC Centre for Outbreak Analysis and Modelling, Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W21PG, UK
BMC Genet 11:94. 2010..Unfortunately, currently available multivariate methods still lack some essential features needed to study the genetic structure of natural populations...
- Differentiating prenatal exposure to methamphetamine and alcohol versus alcohol and not methamphetamine using tensor-based brain morphometry and discriminant analysisElizabeth R Sowell
Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, Department of Neurology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Neurosci 30:3876-85. 2010....
- Diagnosis of multiple cancer types by shrunken centroids of gene expressionRobert Tibshirani
Department of Health, Research and Policy, and Statistics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:6567-72. 2002..The technique is general and can be used in many other classification problems. To demonstrate its effectiveness, we show that the method was highly efficient in finding genes for classifying small round blue cell tumors and leukemias...
- Fusion of fuzzy statistical distributions for classification of thyroid ultrasound patternsDimitris K Iakovidis
Department of Informatics and Computer Technology, Technological Educational Institute of Lamia, Lamia, Greece
Artif Intell Med 50:33-41. 2010..This representation is suitable for the discrimination of nodules of high malignancy risk from normal thyroid parenchyma...
- KPCA plus LDA: a complete kernel Fisher discriminant framework for feature extraction and recognitionJian Yang
Department of Computer Science, Nanjing University of Science and Technology, Nanjing 210094, PR China
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 27:230-44. 2005This paper examines the theory of kernel Fisher discriminant analysis (KFD) in a Hilbert space and develops a two-phase KFD framework, i.e., kernel principal component analysis (KPCA) plus Fisher linear discriminant analysis (LDA)...
- Metabolic dynamics during autumn cold acclimation within and among populations of Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis)Rebecca Dauwe
Department of Wood Science, Faculty of Forestry, The University of British Columbia, 2424 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4, Canada
New Phytol 194:192-205. 2012....
- Sparse PLS discriminant analysis: biologically relevant feature selection and graphical displays for multiclass problemsKim Anh Lê Cao
Queensland Facility for Advanced Bioinformatics, University of Queensland, 4072 St Lucia, QLD, Australia
BMC Bioinformatics 12:253. 2011..In the case of multiple highly correlated variables, another option is to use multivariate exploratory approaches to give more insight into cell biology, biological pathways or complex traits...
- Variable selection for discriminant analysis with Markov random field priors for the analysis of microarray dataFrancesco C Stingo
Department of Statistics, Rice University, Houston, TX 77005, USA
Bioinformatics 27:495-501. 2011b>Discriminant analysis is an effective tool for the classification of experimental units into groups...
- Classification of individual lung cancer cell lines based on DNA methylation markers: use of linear discriminant analysis and artificial neural networksAlberto M Marchevsky
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Mol Diagn 6:28-36. 2004..The data were analyzed with artificial neural networks (ANN) and linear discriminant analysis (LDA) to classify the cell lines into SCLC or into NSCLC...
- Characterization of metabolic differences between benign and malignant tumors: high-spectral-resolution diffuse optical spectroscopyShwayta Kukreti
Beckman Laser Institute, University of California, Irvine, CA 92612, USA
Radiology 254:277-84. 2010..To develop a near-infrared spectroscopic method to identify breast cancer biomarkers and to retrospectively determine if benign and malignant breast lesions could be distinguished by using this method...
- Regularized linear discriminant analysis and its application in microarraysYaqian Guo
Department of Statistics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Biostatistics 8:86-100. 2007In this paper, we introduce a modified version of linear discriminant analysis, called the "shrunken centroids regularized discriminant analysis" (SCRDA)...
- Study of on-line adaptive discriminant analysis for EEG-based brain computer interfacesC Vidaurre
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Public University of Navarre, Campus Arrosadia s n, 31006 Pamplona, Spain
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:550-6. 2007..Two continuously adaptive classifiers were tested: adaptive quadratic and linear discriminant analysis. Three feature types were analyzed, adaptive autoregressive parameters, logarithmic band power estimates ..
- Identification of new antimalarial drugs by linear discriminant analysis and topological virtual screeningNassira Mahmoudi
INSERM U511, Immuno Biologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire des Infections Parasitaires, CHU Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:489-97. 2006....
- Selection bias in gene extraction on the basis of microarray gene-expression dataChristophe Ambroise
Laboratoire Heudiasyc, Unité Mixte de Recherche Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique 6599, 60200 Compiegne, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:6562-6. 2002..Using two published data sets, we demonstrate that when correction is made for the selection bias, the cross-validated error is no longer zero for a subset of only a few genes...
- Mass spectrometric and linear discriminant analysis of N-glycans of human serum alpha-1-acid glycoprotein in cancer patients and healthy individualsTimea Imre
Institute of Structural Chemistry, Chemical Research Center, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Pusztaszeri u 59 67, Hungary
J Proteomics 71:186-97. 2008..ovarian tumor) were analyzed by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry and a multivariate statistical method (linear discriminant analysis, LDA). 34 different glycan structures have been identified...
- Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR) spectroscopy in bacteriology: towards a reference method for bacteria discriminationOrnella Preisner
Centre for Biological and Chemical Engineering, IST, Technical University of Lisbon, Av Rovisco Pais, 1049 001 Lisbon, Portugal
Anal Bioanal Chem 387:1739-48. 2007..The uncertainty in estimating scores was reduced by about 50% when compared to models with all wavelengths. Spectral ranges with relevant chemical information for Enterococcus faecium bacteria discrimination were outlined...
- Equivalence of improvement in area under ROC curve and linear discriminant analysis coefficient under assumption of normalityOlga V Demler
Department of Biostatistics, Boston University, 801 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Stat Med 30:1410-8. 2011..This paper demonstrates that under the assumption of multivariate normality and employing linear discriminant analysis (LDA) to construct the risk prediction tool, statistical significance of the new predictor(s) is ..
- Tensor discriminant color space for face recognitionSu Jing Wang
College of Computer Science and Technology, Jilin University, Changchun 130012, China
IEEE Trans Image Process 20:2490-501. 2011....
- Discriminant analysis of functional connectivity patterns on Grassmann manifoldYong Fan
LIAMA Center for Computational Medicine, National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100190, China
Neuroimage 56:2058-67. 2011..each network encoded by a spatial independent component separately, we propose a novel algorithm for discriminant analysis of functional brain networks jointly at an individual level...
- Orthogonal projections to latent structures discriminant analysis modeling on in situ FT-IR spectral imaging of liver tissue for identifying sources of variabilityHans Stenlund
Computational Life Science Cluster CLIC, KBC, Umea University, SE 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Anal Chem 80:6898-906. 2008In this study, the orthogonal projections to latent structures discriminant analysis (OPLS-DA) method was used to assess the in situ chemical composition of two different cell types in mouse liver samples, hepatocytes and erythrocytes...
- An HR-MAS MR metabolomics study on breast tissues obtained with core needle biopsyMulan Li
Department of Radiology, College of Medicine, Seoul National University, Jongno gu, Seoul, Korea
PLoS ONE 6:e25563. 2011..Previous HR-MAS MR results have been obtained from post-surgery samples, which limits their direct clinical applicability...
- Color image discriminant models and algorithms for face recognitionJian Yang
Department of Computer Science, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Netw 19:2088-98. 2008..26% at the false accept rate (FAR) of 0.1%...
- Correspondence discriminant analysis: a multivariate method for comparing classes of protein and nucleic acid sequencesG Perrière
Laboratoire de Biometrie, Génétique et Biologie des Populations, UMR CNRS n 5558, Universite Claude Bernard, Lyon, Villeurbanne, France
Comput Appl Biosci 12:519-24. 1996..of a multivariate method for studying classes of nucleotide or protein sequences: correspondence discriminant analysis (CDA)...
- Multilinear discriminant analysis for face recognitionShuicheng Yan
Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing 100080, China
IEEE Trans Image Process 16:212-20. 2007..We call this algorithm multilinear discriminant analysis (MDA), which has the following characteristics: 1) multiple interrelated subspaces can collaborate to ..
- Comparison of linear, nonlinear, and feature selection methods for EEG signal classificationDeon Garrett
Department of Computer Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 11:141-4. 2003..This paper reports the results of a linear (linear discriminant analysis) and two nonlinear classifiers (neural networks and support vector machines) applied to the classification ..
- Generalizing discriminant analysis using the generalized singular value decompositionPeg Howland
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 26:995-1006. 2004b>Discriminant analysis has been used for decades to extract features that preserve class separability. It is commonly defined as an optimization problem involving covariance matrices that represent the scatter within and between clusters...
- Assessment and comparison of different methods for heartbeat classificationI Jekova
Centre of Biomedical Engineering, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria
Med Eng Phys 30:248-57. 2008..the classification abilities of four classification methods--Kth nearest neighbour rule, neural networks, discriminant analysis and fuzzy logic...
- Study of discriminant analysis applied to motor imagery bipolar dataCarmen Vidaurre
Dp IEE, Edificio Los Tejos, Public University of Navarre, Campus Arrosadia s n, Pamplona, 31006, Spain
Med Biol Eng Comput 45:61-8. 2007We present a study of linear, quadratic and regularized discriminant analysis (RDA) applied to motor imagery data of three subjects...
- Shrinkage-based diagonal discriminant analysis and its applications in high-dimensional dataHerbert Pang
Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
Biometrics 65:1021-9. 2009..Diagonal discriminant analysis, support vector machines, and k-nearest neighbor have been suggested as among the best methods for small ..
- Classification of adolescent psychotic disorders using linear discriminant analysisPatricia J Pardo
The Domenici Research Center for Mental Illness, Brain Sciences Center, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN, 55454, USA
Schizophr Res 87:297-306. 2006..The differential diagnosis between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder during adolescence presents a major clinical problem. Can these two diagnoses be differentiated objectively early in the courses of illness?..
- Effects of MRI acquisition parameter variations and protocol heterogeneity on the results of texture analysis and pattern discrimination: an application-oriented studyMarius E Mayerhoefer
Department of Radiology, MR Center of Excellence, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Med Phys 36:1236-43. 2009..0 T scanner equipped with a microimaging gradient insert coil. Linear discriminant analysis and k nearest neighbor classification were used for texture-based pattern discrimination...
- Subspace projection approaches to classification and visualization of neural network-level encoding patternsRemus Osan
Center for Systems Neurobiology, Department of Pharmacology, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e404. 2007..Here we systematically employed a series of projection methods, such as Multiple Discriminant Analysis (MDA), Principal Components Analysis (PCA) and Artificial Neural Networks (ANN), and compared them with ..
- Decoding subjective preference from single-trial near-infrared spectroscopy signalsSheena Luu
Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, 164 College Street Room 407, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G9, Canada
J Neural Eng 6:016003. 2009..Using mean signal amplitudes as features and linear discriminant analysis, we were able to decode which drink was preferred on a single-trial basis with an average accuracy of 80%.
- Further evidence to show population specificity of discriminant function equations for sex determination using the talus of South African blacksMubarak A Bidmos
School of Anatomical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 7 York Road, Parktown, 2193, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Forensic Sci 49:1165-70. 2004....
- Helical CT evaluation of the chemical composition of urinary tract calculi with a discriminant analysis of CT-attenuation values and densityMarie France Bellin
Department of Radiology, Hopital Paul Brousse, AP HP, Université Paris 11, 12 14 av P V Couturier, 94804 Villejuif Cedex, France
Eur Radiol 14:2134-40. 2004..When the first two ranks of highest probability for the accurate classification of each calculus type were taken into account, all cystine, calcium oxalate monohydrate and brushite calculi were correctly classified...
- Craniometric relationships among medieval Central European populations: implications for Croat migration and expansionMario Slaus
Department of Archaeology, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, A Kovacica 5, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 45:434-44. 2004....
- Optimization of human plasma 1H NMR spectroscopic data processing for high-throughput metabolic phenotyping studies and detection of insulin resistance related to type 2 diabetesAnthony D Maher
Department of Biomolecular Medicine, Division of Surgery, Oncology, Reproductive Biology and Anaesthetics, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, South Kensington SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
Anal Chem 80:7354-62. 2008..methods such as principal component analysis (PCA), orthogonal projections to latent structures discriminant analysis (O-PLS-DA) and statistical spectroscopic tools such as statistical total correlation spectroscopy (STOCSY),..
- Automated classification of multi-spectral MR images using Linear Discriminant AnalysisGeng Cheng Lin
Department of Electrical Engineering, National Central University, Jhongli 320, Taiwan, ROC
Comput Med Imaging Graph 34:251-68. 2010..This work proposes a novel approach called "Unsupervised Linear Discriminant Analysis (ULDA)" to classify and segment the three major tissues, i.e...
- Orthogonal fuzzy neighborhood discriminant analysis for multifunction myoelectric hand controlRami N Khushaba
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology, University of Technology Sydney, NSW 2007, Australia
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 57:1410-9. 2010..In this paper, a new dimensionality reduction method, referred to as orthogonal fuzzy neighborhood discriminant analysis (OFNDA), is proposed as a response to such a challenge...
- Exploratory investigation into mild brain injury and discriminant analysis with high frequency bands (32-64 Hz)K E Thornton
Center for Health Psychology, South Plainfield, NJ, USA
Brain Inj 13:477-88. 1999..The combination of the discriminants resulted in a 100% accuracy rate for the 39 brain injured subjects for which discriminate values were available...
- Characterisation of non-viable whole barley, wheat and sorghum grains using near-infrared hyperspectral data and chemometricsCushla M McGoverin
Department of Food Science, Stellenbosch University, Private Bag X1, Matieland, Stellenbosch 7602, South Africa
Anal Bioanal Chem 401:2283-9. 2011..Viable and non-viable classes for partial least squares-discriminant analysis (PLS-DA) were assigned from PC scores that correlated with incubation time...
- Sexual dimorphism in the humerus: a comparative analysis of Chinese, Japanese and ThaisM Y Iscan
Department of Anatomy, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Forensic Sci Int 98:17-29. 1998..These findings confirm those of previous studies that there is a need for group specific metric standards of assessment...
- Liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry-based metabolomic analysis of livers from aged ratsNari Son
Research Division for Emerging Innovation Technology, Korea Food Research Institute, Republic of Korea
J Proteome Res 11:2551-8. 2012..metabolites of rats aged 6, 12, 18, and 24 months; the MS data were processed by partial least-squares discriminant analysis (PLS-DA) to investigate the discrimination among sample groups...
- Discriminant analysis of anthropometric and biomotor variables among elite adolescent female athletes in four sportsMario Leone
CHUM Hĵpital Notre Dame, University of Montreal, Canada
J Sports Sci 20:443-9. 2002..The biomotor variables were maximal aerobic power, muscular endurance and flexibility of the trunk. Discriminant analysis revealed three significant functions (P < 0. 05)...
- Discriminant analysis of patients' reasons for choosing or refusing treatments for partial edentulismC R Leles
Department of Prevention and Oral Rehabilitation, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Goias, Goiania, Goias, Brazil
J Oral Rehabil 36:909-15. 2009..b>Discriminant analysis was used to examine the impact of each reason for a patient's decision to choose or refuse treatment ..
- [Diagnostic value of clinical indices in syndrome differentiation of chronic hepatitis B: an exploration based on receiver operating characteristic curves and stepwise discriminant analysis]Yu Zhao
Institute of Liver Diseases, Shuguang Hospital, Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shanghai 201203, China
Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao 10:1382-7. 2012....
- Nanoarray of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and carbon nanotubes for accurate and predictive detection in real-world environmental humidityYael Zilberman
The Department of Chemical Engineering and Russell Berrie Nanotechnology Institute, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, Israel
ACS Nano 5:6743-53. 2011..The results presented here could lead to the development of a cost-effective, lightweight, low-power, and non-invasive tool for a widespread detection of VOCs in real-world environmental, security, food, health, and other applications...
- Sex determination by discriminant function analysis of the tibia for contemporary CroatsMario Slaus
Department of Archaeology, Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Ante Kovacica 5, 10 000 Zagreb, Croatia
Forensic Sci Int 226:302.e1-4. 2013..Standardized coefficients of the discriminant functions generated in this study support the results of previous studies that found that breadth dimensions provide better separation of the sexes than length...
- Sparse linear discriminant analysis for simultaneous testing for the significance of a gene set/pathway and gene selectionMichael C Wu
Department of Biostatistics, Harvard School of Public Health, 655 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Bioinformatics 25:1145-51. 2009..For a significantly differentially expressed pathway, it is also of substantial interest to select important genes that drive the differential expression of the pathway...
- Discrimination of the geographical origin of beef by (1)H NMR-based metabolomicsYoungae Jung
Seoul Center, Korea Basic Science Institute, Seoul 136 713, Republic of Korea
J Agric Food Chem 58:10458-66. 2010..Principal component analysis (PCA) and orthogonal projection to latent structure-discriminant analysis (OPLS-DA) showed significant separation between extracts of beef originating from four countries: ..
- Assessment of mild hindlimb lameness during over ground locomotion using linear discriminant analysis of inertial sensor dataT Pfau
Structure and Motion Laboratory, Department of Veterinary Basic Sciences, The Royal Veterinary College, North Mymms, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 7TA, UK
Equine Vet J 39:407-13. 2007..The inertial sensor system can be used to capture 6 degree of freedom movement during over ground locomotion and here was used to quantify tuber coxae movement in nonlame and lame horses...
- Intrauterine growth restriction alters the metabonome of the serum and jejunum in pigletsQinghua He
State Key Laboratory of Magnetic Resonance and Atomic and Molecular Physics, Wuhan Centre for Magnetic Resonance, Wuhan Institute of Physics and Mathematics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan 430071, P R China
Mol Biosyst 7:2147-55. 2011....
- Chemometric application in identifying sources of organic contaminants in Langat river basinRozita Osman
Faculty of Applied Sciences, Universiti Teknologi MARA, 40450 Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia
Environ Monit Assess 184:1001-14. 2012..This study presented the application of selected chemometric techniques: cluster analysis (CA), discriminant analysis (DA), and principal component analysis (PCA) to classify the pollution sources in Langat river basin based ..
- Near infrared hyperspectral imaging for the evaluation of endosperm texture in whole yellow maize (Zea maize L.) kernelsMarena Manley
Department of Food Science, Stellenbosch University, Matieland Stellenbosch, South Africa
J Agric Food Chem 57:8761-9. 2009..The vitreous and floury endosperm clusters were used to make a partial least-squares discriminant analysis (PLS-DA) model, using four components, with a coefficient of determination (R(2)) for the y data (kernel ..
- Multiple binary classifications via linear discriminant analysis for improved controllability of a powered prosthesisLevi J Hargrove
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, NB E3B5A3, Canada
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 18:49-57. 2010..case, the proposed system was compared to a state-of-the-art pattern recognition system based on linear discriminant analysis and a conventional myoelectric control scheme with mode switching...
- Lactate and glycine-potential MR biomarkers of prognosis in estrogen receptor-positive breast cancersGuro F Giskeødegård
Department of Circulation and Medical Imaging, Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
NMR Biomed 25:1271-9. 2012..The data were analyzed by multivariate principal component analysis and partial least-squares discriminant analysis, and the findings of important metabolites were confirmed by spectral integration of the metabolite peaks...
- Spatial assessment of Langat River water quality using chemometricsHafizan Juahir
Department of Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Environmental Studies, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
J Environ Monit 12:287-95. 2010..with the assessment of Langat River water quality with some chemometrics approaches such as cluster and discriminant analysis coupled with an artificial neural network (ANN)...
- Dental morphology and variation in theropod dinosaurs: implications for the taxonomic identification of isolated teethJoshua B Smith
Department of Earth and Environmental Science, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 285:699-736. 2005..However, the results indicate that expanding the standard should facilitate the identification of numerous types of isolated theropod teeth...
- Graph constrained discriminant analysis: a new method for the integration of a graph into a classification processVincent Guillemot
Laboratory of Functional Genomics CEA, DSV, IRCM, Evry, France
PLoS ONE 6:e26146. 2011..We present a method called graph-constrained discriminant analysis (gCDA), which aims to integrate the information contained in one or several GRNs into a classification ..
- Discriminant analysis of ¹⁸F-fluorothymidine kinetic parameters to predict survival in patients with recurrent high-grade gliomaMirwais Wardak
Department of Molecular and Medical Pharmacology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
Clin Cancer Res 17:6553-62. 2011....
- Osteometric variation in the humerus: sexual dimorphism in South AfricansM Steyn
Department of Anatomy, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Forensic Sci Int 106:77-85. 1999..South African collections are ideal for osteometric analysis, because they are still growing in numbers with cross-sectional representatives from the country...
- Local linear discriminant analysis framework using sample neighborsZizhu Fan
Bio Computing Research Center, Shenzhen Graduate School, Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen, China
IEEE Trans Neural Netw 22:1119-32. 2011The linear discriminant analysis (LDA) is a very popular linear feature extraction approach. The algorithms of LDA usually perform well under the following two assumptions...
- CSF-neurofilament and levodopa tests combined with discriminant analysis may contribute to the differential diagnosis of Parkinsonian syndromesB Holmberg
Institute of Clinical Neuroscience, Department of Neurology, University of Goteborg, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, 413 45, Sweden
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 8:23-31. 2001..As they are pathologically unrelated, the diagnostic precision increases compared to clinical diagnoses when they are combined...
- Kernel discriminant analysis for positive definite and indefinite kernelsElzbieta Pekalska
School of Computer Science, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, M13 9PL Manchester, UK
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 31:1017-32. 2009..We illustrate this on artificial and real data for both positive definite and indefinite kernels...
- Discriminative feature co-occurrence selection for object detectionTakeshi Mita
Multimedia Laboratory, Corporate Research and Development Center, Toshiba Corporation, Kawasaki, Japan
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 30:1257-69. 2008....
- Use of correspondence discriminant analysis to predict the subcellular location of bacterial proteinsGuy Perrière
Laboratoire de Biometrie et Biologie Evolutive, UMR CNRS no 5558, Universite Claude Bernard Lyon 1, 43, Bd du 11 Novembre 1918, 69622 Villeurbanne Cedex, France
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 70:99-105. 2003Correspondence discriminant analysis (CDA) is a multivariate statistical method derived from discriminant analysis which can be used on contingency tables...
- Short prokaryotic DNA fragment binning using a hierarchical classifier based on linear discriminant analysis and principal component analysisHao Zheng
School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 210 Technology Circle, Savannah, GA 31407, USA
J Bioinform Comput Biol 8:995-1011. 2010..classifier consists of four layers of local classifiers that are implemented based on the linear discriminant analysis. These local classifiers are responsible for binning prokaryotic DNA fragments into superkingdoms, of the ..
- Contribution of artificial neural networks to the classification and treatment of patients with uninvestigated dyspepsiaA Andriulli
Division of Gastroenterology, Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza Hospital, IRCCS, I 71013 San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 35:222-31. 2003....
- Clustering linear discriminant analysis for MEG-based brain computer interfacesJinyin Zhang
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 19:221-31. 2011In this paper, we propose a clustering linear discriminant analysis algorithm (CLDA) to accurately decode hand movement directions from a small number of training trials for magnetoencephalography-based brain computer interfaces (BCIs)...
- Statistical total correlation spectroscopy: an exploratory approach for latent biomarker identification from metabolic 1H NMR data setsOlivier Cloarec
Biological Chemistry Section, Faculty of Medicine, Biomedical Sciences Division, Imperial College London, South Kensington, London, UK
Anal Chem 77:1282-9. 2005..of STOCSY with supervised pattern recognition and particularly orthogonal projection on latent structure-discriminant analysis (O-PLS-DA) offers a new powerful framework for analysis of metabonomic data...
- The use of discriminant analysis and neural networks to forecast the severity of the Poaceae pollen season in a region with a typical Mediterranean climateJuan Antonio Sánchez Mesa
Department of Plant Biology, University of Cordoba, Edificio Celestino Mutis, Campus de Rabanales, E 14071 Cordoba, Spain
Int J Biometeorol 49:355-62. 2005....
- Identification of peripheral neuropathy in type-2 diabetic subjects by static posturography and linear discriminant analysisS Fioretti
Department of Biomedical, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Via Brecce Bianche, Ancona, Italy
Gait Posture 32:317-20. 2010..This study examines whether it is possible to assess the presence of diabetic neuropathy at an early stage by static posturography tests...
- Multiple correspondence discriminant analysis: an application to detect stratification in copy number variationAlejandro Caceres
Center for research in environmental epidemiology CREAL, Parc de Recerca Biomedica de Barcelona, 88 Doctor Aiguader, Barcelona, Spain
Stat Med 29:3284-93. 2010..In addition, we propose the use of multiple correspondence discriminant analysis (MCDA) to identify an optimal set of copy number variants (CNVs) that correctly infers the population ..
- A classification approach for genotyping viral sequences based on multidimensional scaling and linear discriminant analysisJiwoong Kim
Department of Bioinformatics and Life Sciences, Soongsil University, Seoul, Korea
BMC Bioinformatics 11:434. 2010..Thus, MuLDAS utilizes full spectra of well characterized sequences as references, typically of an order of hundreds, in order to estimate the significance of each genotype assignment...
- Faecal pollution source identification in an urbanizing catchment using antibiotic resistance profiling, discriminant analysis and partial least squares regressionS P Carroll
South Burnett Regional Council, Infrastructure Services, Glendon Street, Kingaroy, Queensland, Australia
Water Res 43:1237-46. 2009..b>Discriminant Analysis (DA) was used to differentiate between the ARP of source isolates and to identify the sources of faecal ..
- Study of age-related changes in postural control during quiet standing through linear discriminant analysisGuilherme L Cavalheiro
Biomedical Engineering Laboratory, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Federal University of Uberlandia, Campus Santa Mônica, Bloco 1E, Av, João Naves de Avila, 2121, Uberlandia, Minas Gerais, 38, 408 100, Brazil
Biomed Eng Online 8:35. 2009..In this context, this study proposes the analysis of the postural control, measured by the displacement of the COP, in groups of young and elderly adults...
- Construction of an efficacious model for a nondestructive identification of traditional Chinese medicines Liuwei Dihuang pills from different manufacturers using near-infrared spectroscopy and moving window partial least-squares discriminant analysisHai Yan Fu
State Key Laboratory of Chemo Biosensing and Chemometrics, College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Hunan University, Changsha 410082, China
Anal Sci 25:1143-8. 2009..on the basis of near-infrared spectra (NIRS) coupled with moving window partial least-squares discriminant analysis (MWPLSDA)...
- The use of cluster and discriminant analysis in the investigations of the role of trace metals in the pathogenesis of Parkinson's diseaseJoanna Chwiej
Department of Applied Nuclear Physics, Faculty of Physics and Applied Computer Science, AGH University of Science and Technology, Al Mickiewicza 30, 30 059 Krakow, Poland
J Trace Elem Med Biol 24:78-88. 2010..The elemental data were processed using two multivariate techniques, namely cluster and discriminant analysis. The statistical methods were used for data reduction, both unsupervised and supervised classification as ..
- Discriminant analysis of autofluorescence spectra for classification of oral lesions in vivoJ L Jayanthi
Biophotonics Laboratory, Centre for Earth Science Studies, Kerala, India
Lasers Surg Med 41:345-52. 2009..This study evaluates the potential of a multivariate statistical algorithm to classify oral mucosa from autofluorescence spectral features recorded in vivo...
- Prediction of vocational outcome of people with brain injury after rehabilitation: a discriminant analysisK L Leung
Occupational Therapy Department, MacLehose Medical Rehabilitation Centre, Hospital Authority, Hong Kong, China
Work 25:333-40. 2005..8% of the subjects...
- Application of partial least squares discriminant analysis to two-dimensional difference gel studies in expression proteomicsNatasha A Karp
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1QW, UK
Proteomics 5:81-90. 2005..Partial least squares-discriminant analysis (PLS-DA), a multivariate statistical approach, was combined with an iterative threshold process to ..
- Extraction, interpretation and validation of information for comparing samples in metabolic LC/MS data setsPar Jonsson
Research Group for Chemometrics, Department of Chemistry, Umea University, SE 90187 Umea, Sweden
Analyst 130:701-7. 2005..The results showed that the evaluation of the extracted information data using partial least square discriminant analysis (PLS-DA) provided a robust, predictive and transparent model for the metabolic differences between the two ..
- MRI characteristics in focal hepatic disease before and after administration of MnDPDP: discriminant analysis as a diagnostic toolThomas K Helmberger
Institute of Clinical Radiology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Eur Radiol 12:62-70. 2002..pre- and post-Mangafodipir trisodium (MnDPDP) administration using a computerized multivariable, discriminant analysis (DA). In a multicenter trial, 151 patients with focal liver disease were studied at 1.5 and 1...
- Discriminative motif discovery in DNA and protein sequences using the DEME algorithmEmma Redhead
Institute for Molecular Bioscience, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, 4072 Australia
BMC Bioinformatics 8:385. 2007....
- Conrad: gene prediction using conditional random fieldsDavid DeCaprio
The Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Genome Res 17:1389-98. 2007..Conrad's implementation of SMCRFs advances the state of the art in gene prediction in fungi and provides a robust platform for both current application and future research...
- Multi-class cancer classification via partial least squares with gene expression profilesDanh V Nguyen
Department of Statistics, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Bioinformatics 18:1216-26. 2002..The need for multi-class discrimination methodologies is apparent in many microarray experiments where various cancer types are considered simultaneously...
- Locating the genes underlying a simulated complex disease by discriminant analysisX Li
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Genet Epidemiol 21:S516-21. 2001..This approach uses the application of either of two methods of standard (stepwise) discriminant analysis to detect linkage based on the differential marker identity-by-descent distributions among the three ..
- Application of partial least squares discriminant analysis and variable selection procedures: a 2D-PAGE proteomic studyEmilio Marengo
Dipartimento di Scienze dell Ambiente e della Vita, Universita degli Studi del Piemonte Orientale, Via Bellini 25 G, 15100, Alessandria, Italy
Anal Bioanal Chem 390:1327-42. 2008..Here, partial least squares discriminant analysis was applied to improve the results obtained by classic image analysis and to identify the significant ..
- Discriminant analysis for longitudinal data with multiple continuous responses and possibly missing dataGuillermo Marshall
Departamento de Estadistica, Facultad de Matematicas, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Casilla 306, Correo 22, Santiago, Chile
Biometrics 65:69-80. 2009..We present an example using data from a study in 161 pregnant women in Santiago, Chile, where the main interest is to predict normal versus abnormal pregnancy outcomes...
- Striatal antibodies in children with Tourette's syndrome: multivariate discriminant analysis of IgG repertoiresJ T Wendlandt
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Harvey 811, 600 N. Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287-8811, USA
J Neuroimmunol 119:106-13. 2001..A MANOVA differentiated between TS and control blots, and a discriminant analysis demonstrated which variables contributed most to differences between groups...
- A discriminant analysis extension to mixed modelsL Tomasko
Merck Research Laboratories, Merck and Co, Inc, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Stat Med 18:1249-60. 1999b>Discriminant analysis is commonly used to classify an observation into one of two (or more) populations on the basis of correlated measurements. Classical discriminant analysis approaches require complete data for all observations...
- Relationship between human genotype and phenotype of N-acetyltransferase (NAT2) as estimated by discriminant analysis and multiple linear regression: 1. Genotype and N-acetylation in vivoP Meisel
Department of Pharmacology, Ernst Moritz Arndt University Greifswald, Germany
Pharmacogenetics 7:241-6. 1997..Application of discriminant analysis allowed the separation of the rapid and slow acetylators solely on the base of their respective mutation ..
- Tumor classification by partial least squares using microarray gene expression dataDanh V Nguyen
Center for Image Processing and Integrated Computing, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Bioinformatics 18:39-50. 2002..Modification of existing statistical methodologies or development of new methodologies is needed for the analysis of microarray data...
- Linear discriminant analysis-based estimation of the false discovery rate for phosphopeptide identificationsXiuxia Du
Fundamental and Computational Sciences Directorate, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Washington 99352, USA
J Proteome Res 7:2195-203. 2008..A linear discriminant analysis is then performed to determine how to optimally combine peptide scores (in this case, from SEQUEST) into a ..
- Global discriminative learning for higher-accuracy computational gene predictionAxel Bernal
Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 3:e54. 2007....
- Class II MHC quantitative binding motifs derived from a large molecular database with a versatile iterative stepwise discriminant analysis meta-algorithmR R Mallios
Medical Information Resources, University of California, San Francisco, 2615 East Clinton Avenue, Fresno, CA 93703, USA
Bioinformatics 15:432-9. 1999..An epitope is a peptide segment that binds to both a T-cell receptor and a major histocompatibility complex (MHC) molecule. Predicting which peptide segments bind MHC molecules is the first step in epitope prediction...
- On counting position weight matrix matches in a sequence, with application to discriminative motif findingSaurabh Sinha
Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, 201 N Goodwin Ave, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Bioinformatics 22:e454-63. 2006..We finally use the algorithm on genes predictive of social behavior in the honey bee, and find interesting motifs...
- Predicting class II MHC/peptide multi-level binding with an iterative stepwise discriminant analysis meta-algorithmR R Mallios
Office of Sponsored Projects and Research, University of California, San Francisco, 2615 East Clinton Avenue, Fresno, CA 93703, USA
Bioinformatics 17:942-8. 2001..An agretope is that portion of a peptide that interacts with an MHC molecule. The identification and prediction of agretopes is the first step towards vaccine design...
- Predicting class I major histocompatibility complex (MHC) binders using multivariate statistics: comparison of discriminant analysis and multiple linear regressionIrini A Doytchinova
Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University of Sofia, 2 Dunav St, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria
J Chem Inf Model 47:234-8. 2007..In the present study, we compare discriminant analysis and multiple linear regression as algorithmic engines for the definition of quantitative matrices for ..
- Use of SHIRPA and discriminant analysis to characterise marked differences in the behavioural phenotype of six inbred mouse strainsD C Rogers
Neuroscience Research, SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, Harlow, UK
Behav Brain Res 105:207-17. 1999..transgenic and knockout research was carried out using a battery of behavioural tests (SHIRPA) followed by discriminant analysis of the data...
- A new strategy to filter out false positive identifications of peptides in SEQUEST database search resultsJiyang Zhang
College of Mechanical and Electronic Engineering and Automatization, National University of Defense Technology, Changsha, China
Proteomics 7:4036-44. 2007..These results indicate that the new method can reliably control the FPR of peptide identifications and is more sensitive than traditional cutoff-based methods...
- Speech Intelligibility Testing in Children with Repaired Cleft PalateDavid Zajac; Fiscal Year: 2007..Multiple regression and descriptive discriminant analysis techniques will be employed...
- Risk for Workplace Violence in Long-Haul TruckersDebra Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Dependent on the specific aim, bivariate relationships, logistic regression, discriminant analysis, Cronbach's alpha, and ANCOVA will be used...
- Rett syndrome: determinants of outcome and burdenHelen Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2007..regression models to examine effects of different variables on child and family level outcomes and discriminant analysis, recursive partitioning and machine learning to identify genotype/phenotype associations at the individual ..
- Proteomics Approaches to Interstitial Cystitis.Brian Liu; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., hierarchical cluster analysis and K-means methods, canonical correlations, discriminant analysis, Bayesian statistics, self-organizing maps and neural networks) that can stratify samples according to ..
- Metabolomic and Isotopomer Analysis of Xenobiotic StressHenri Brunengraber; Fiscal Year: 2009..A number of techniques will be evaluated, including Principal Component Analysis, Fisher Discriminant Analysis and Partial Least Squares. 2...
- Three-Class ROC Analysis for Task-Based Medical Image Quality AssessmentXin He; Fiscal Year: 2007..proposed a three- class ROC analysis method that extends and unifies the decision theoretic, linear discriminant analysis and probabilistic foundations of binary ROC in a three-class paradigm...
- MEDICALLY TREATED AND FATAL SUICIDE ACTS: NUMBER & COSTTed Miller; Fiscal Year: 2002..2) Using the pooled state data and CHAID tree-building tools, to develop and validate a discriminant analysis model for estimating injury causes from national or state hospital discharge data without E-codes...
- Adipose Metabolic Profiling for Obesity Drug TargetingKyongbum Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..parallel metabolic flux libraries using established modeling methodologies, d) Perform multivariate discriminant analysis on the metabolite and flux libraries to identify significant markers for each of the growth conditions...
- METHAMPHETAMINE ABUSE--NATURAL HISTORY,TREATMENT EFFECTSMary Lynn Brecht; Fiscal Year: 2000..include descriptive measures, analysis of variance (ANOVA) and MANOVA, loglinear modeling, regression and discriminant analysis, survival methods, Markov models, and structural equation modeling...
- AUDITORY TEMPORAL PROCESSES, SPEECH PERCEPTION AND AGINGSandra Gordon Salant; Fiscal Year: 1993..mos. 49-60) applies discriminant analysis statistical techniques to formulate profiles of temporal processing abilities of young and elderly ..
- A Virtual Reality Environment for Genomic Data VisualizationFatima Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2007..select among a number of data projection techniques, including principal component analysis (PCA), linear discriminant analysis (LDA), singular value decomposition (SVD), multi-dimensional scaling (MDS), projection pursuit (PP), self-..
- Computational tools for T- and B-cell epitope predictionWerner A Braun; Fiscal Year: 2010..will be used in combination with a partial least squares approach to reduce the number of variables in the discriminant analysis and in artificial neural networks...
- Tree Ensemble Regression and Classification MethodsJAMES SCHIMERT; Fiscal Year: 2004..This proposed software will enable medical researchers to obtain high prediction accuracy, and complement traditional tools like discriminant analysis, linear and logistic regression models, and the Cox model.
- DEVELOPMENT OF SLEEP STATES AND SIDS RISKRonald Harper; Fiscal Year: 1993..Multivariate statistical procedures, including stepwise logistic regression and discriminant analysis, will also be used to assess differences among risk groups.
- ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY OF CANNABINOID ACTION ON RAT BEHAVIORSJing Yu Chang; Fiscal Year: 2001..Ensemble activity of many neurons in relation to behavioral events will be examined using discriminant analysis. The goal of this research is to test the hypothesis that cannabinoids act to selectively disrupt ..
- STATISTICAL METHODS FOR GENE MAPPINGKenneth L Lange; Fiscal Year: 2010..apply these methods to estimation in random graphs, nonnegative matrix factorization, and multicategory discriminant analysis. These methods are also pertinent to fast logistic regression with case-control data and fast mapping of ..
- STATISTICAL METHODS FOR GENE MAPPINGKenneth L Lange; Fiscal Year: 2010..apply these methods to estimation in random graphs, nonnegative matrix factorization, and multicategory discriminant analysis. These methods are also pertinent to fast logistic regression with case-control data and fast mapping of ..
- STATISTICAL METHODS FOR GENE MAPPINGKenneth Lange; Fiscal Year: 2009..apply these methods to estimation in random graphs, nonnegative matrix factorization, and multicategory discriminant analysis. These methods are also pertinent to fast logistic regression with case-control data and fast mapping of ..