Genomes and Genes
Summary: Studies designed to examine associations, commonly, hypothesized causal relations. They are usually concerned with identifying or measuring the effects of risk factors or exposures. The common types of analytic study are CASE-CONTROL STUDIES; COHORT STUDIES; and CROSS-SECTIONAL STUDIES.
Publications319 found, 100 shown here
- Arsenic in drinking water and cerebrovascular disease, diabetes mellitus, and kidney disease in Michigan: a standardized mortality ratio analysisJaymie R Meliker
BioMedware, Inc, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Environ Health 6:4. 2007....
- Participation rates in epidemiologic studiesSandro Galea
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI 48104, USA
Ann Epidemiol 17:643-53. 2007Participation rates for epidemiologic studies have been declining during the past 30 years with even steeper declines in recent years...
- High ambient temperature and mortality: a review of epidemiologic studies from 2001 to 2008Rupa Basu
California Office of Environmental Hazard Assessment, Air Pollution Epidemiology Section, Oakland, California, USA
Environ Health 8:40. 2009..This review examines recent evidence on mortality from elevated ambient temperature for studies published from January 2001 to December 2008...
- Performance of comorbidity scores to control for confounding in epidemiologic studies using claims dataS Schneeweiss
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Epidemiol 154:854-64. 2001Comorbidity is an important confounder in epidemiologic studies. The authors compared the predictive performance of comorbidity scores for use in epidemiologic research with administrative databases...
- DNA methylation in white blood cells: association with risk factors in epidemiologic studiesMary Beth Terry
Department of Epidemiology, Columbia University Medical Center, Mailman School of Public Health, New York, NY, USA
Epigenetics 6:828-37. 2011..b>Epidemiologic studies have reported associations between global WBC methylation and several different cancers including cancers ..
- Epidemiologic evaluation of measurement data in the presence of detection limitsJay H Lubin
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Environ Health Perspect 112:1691-6. 2004Quantitative measurements of environmental factors greatly improve the quality of epidemiologic studies but can pose challenges because of the presence of upper or lower detection limits or interfering compounds, which do not allow for ..
- Overweight, obesity, and incident asthma: a meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studiesDavid A Beuther
Department of Medicine, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, 1400 Jackson Street, J220, Denver, CO 80206, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:661-6. 2007..Although obesity has been implicated as an asthma risk factor, there is heterogeneity in the published literature regarding its role in asthma incidence, particularly in men...
- The effect of weather on respiratory and cardiovascular deaths in 12 U.S. citiesAlfesio L F Braga
Environmental Epidemiology Program, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:859-63. 2002..We saw no clear pattern for the effect of humidity. In hierarchical models, greater variance of summer and winter temperature was associated with larger effects for hot and cold days, respectively, on respiratory deaths...
- Health and Demographic Surveillance System in the Western and coastal areas of Kenya: an infrastructure for epidemiologic studies in AfricaSatoshi Kaneko
Department of EcoEpidemiology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki University, Japan
J Epidemiol 22:276-85. 2012....
- Characterization of antibodies elicited by XMRV infection and development of immunoassays useful for epidemiologic studiesXiaoxing Qiu
Infectious Diseases R and D, Abbott Diagnostics, 100 Abbott Park Rd, Abbott Park, IL 60064, USA
Retrovirology 7:68. 2010..To establish the etiologic role of XMRV infection in human disease requires large scale epidemiologic studies. Development of assays to detect XMRV-specific antibodies would greatly facilitate such studies...
- Association between nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding/perforation: an overview of epidemiologic studies published in the 1990sS Hernandez-Diaz
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 677 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Intern Med 160:2093-9. 2000..Later analyses have also included the effect of patterns of NSAID use, risk factors for UGIB, and modifiers of NSAID effect...
- Neighborhood-level confounding in epidemiologic studies: unavoidable challenges, uncertain solutionsBasile Chaix
INSERM, U707, Research Unit in Epidemiology, Information Systems, and Modeling, Paris, France
Epidemiology 21:124-7. 2010....
- Improving self-reports of active and sedentary behaviors in large epidemiologic studiesCharles E Matthews
Nutritional Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 7335, USA
Exerc Sport Sci Rev 40:118-26. 2012Questionnaires that assess active and sedentary behaviors in large-scale epidemiologic studies are known to contain substantial errors...
- Environmental risk factors for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: methodological issues in epidemiologic studiesM Vinceti
Department of Diagnostic and Clinical Medicine and of Public Health, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Ann Ig 24:407-15. 2012..only in genetically susceptible persons and only after long-term exposures, thus further hampering epidemiologic studies. The recent availability of powerful tools such as population-based ALS registries for case ascertainment ..
- Overview of epidemiologic studies of diabetic retinopathyBarbara Eden Kobrin Klein
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, Wisconsin 53726, USA
Ophthalmic Epidemiol 14:179-83. 2007..b>Epidemiologic studies have quantitated the risk and have described potentially causal factors associated with many ocular ..
- Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and cognitive abilities among U.S. children and adolescentsKimberly Yolton
Cincinnati Children s Environmental Health Center, Department of Pediatrics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:98-103. 2005..These data, which indicate an inverse association between ETS exposure and cognitive deficits among children even at extremely low levels of exposure, support policy to further restrict children's exposure...
- Fine particles and coarse particles: concentration relationships relevant to epidemiologic studiesW E Wilson
US Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, USA
J Air Waste Manag Assoc 47:1238-49. 1997..As a result, epidemiologic studies using PM10 or TSP may provide more useful information on the acute health effects of fine particles than ..
- Solar ultraviolet-B exposure and cancer incidence and mortality in the United States, 1993-2002Francis P Boscoe
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University at Albany, Rensselaer, NY 12144, USA
BMC Cancer 6:264. 2006..Vitamin D, acquired primarily through exposure to the sun via the skin, is believed to inhibit tumor development and growth and reduce mortality for certain cancers...
- Epidemiologic studies for osteoarthritis: new versus conventional study design approachesDavid T Felson
Clinical Epidemiology Research and Training Unit, Boston University School of Medicine, 715 Albany Street, Room A207, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 30:783-97, vii. 2004..This article discusses epidemiologic study designs for osteoarthritis and why traditional designs are outmoded. It reviews the design of new studies, the Osteoarthritis Initiative and Multicenter Ostroarthritis Study...
- Residential radon and lung cancer--detailed results of a collaborative analysis of individual data on 7148 persons with lung cancer and 14,208 persons without lung cancer from 13 epidemiologic studies in EuropeSarah Darby
Clinical Trial Service Unit, Richard Doll Building, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Scand J Work Environ Health 32:1-83. 2006..Therefore data from all 13 European studies of residential radon and lung cancer satisfying certain prespecified criteria have been brought together and analyzed...
- The Diesel Exhaust in Miners Study: II. Exposure monitoring surveys and development of exposure groupsJoseph B Coble
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, US National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Ann Occup Hyg 54:747-61. 2010....
- Fifty years' experience of reduced-tar cigarettes: what do we know about their health effects?Geoffrey C Kabat
Inhal Toxicol 15:1059-102. 2003..Additional analyses of existing data sets could further clarify the impact of low-tar cigarettes...
- Empiric risk of prostate carcinoma for relatives of patients with prostate carcinoma: a meta-analysisMaurice P A Zeegers
Department of Epidemiology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Cancer 97:1894-903. 2003....
- The Diesel Exhaust in Miners Study: IV. Estimating historical exposures to diesel exhaust in underground non-metal mining facilitiesRoel Vermeulen
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, US National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Ann Occup Hyg 54:774-88. 2010..These REC exposure estimates were in a plausible range and were used in the investigation of exposure-response relationships in epidemiologic analyses...
- Use of multiple imputation in the epidemiologic literatureMark A Klebanoff
Division of Epidemiology, Statistics, and Prevention Research, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 7510, USA
Am J Epidemiol 168:355-7. 2008..To form a bridge between current and future practice, the authors suggest details that should be included in articles that utilize these procedures...
- Obesity in Eastern Europe: an overview of its health and economic implicationsCécile Knai
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, European Centre on Health of Societies in Transition, Keppel Street, Room LG19, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom
Econ Hum Biol 5:392-408. 2007..To assess the evolution and patterns of obesity in countries of the WHO European Region with a particular focus on the Eastern European countries, and to discuss the health and economic implications of obesity for those countries...
- Particulate air pollution and fetal health: a systematic review of the epidemiologic evidenceSvetlana V Glinianaia
School of Population and Health Sciences, Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kigndom
Epidemiology 15:36-45. 2004..This systematic review evaluates the current level of epidemiologic evidence on the association between ambient particulate air pollution and fetal health outcomes. We also suggest further research questions...
- Rasch analysis of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression scale used for the assessment of community-residing patients with strokeJung Hee Kim
Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Dankook University, Cheonan, Chungnam, Republic of Korea
Disabil Rehabil 33:2075-83. 2011To use Rasch analysis to validate a Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression scale (CES-D) for measuring the level of depression in community-residing patients with stroke.
- Merozoite surface protein-3 alpha as a genetic marker for epidemiologic studies in Plasmodium vivax: a cautionary noteBenjamin L Rice
Center for Evolutionary Medicine and Informatics, The Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA
Malar J 12:288. 2013..vivax isolates. Here, a sample of complete msp-3α gene sequences is analysed in order to assess its utility as a molecular marker for epidemiologic investigations...
- The importance of allocation concealment and patient blinding in osteoarthritis trials: a meta-epidemiologic studyEveline Nüesch
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 61:1633-41. 2009..To evaluate the association of adequate allocation concealment and patient blinding with estimates of treatment benefits in osteoarthritis trials...
- Epidemiologic studies of styrene and cancer: a review of the literaturePaolo Boffetta
International Prevention Research Institute, Lyon, France
J Occup Environ Med 51:1275-87. 2009..To review the epidemiologic literature on styrene and cancer...
- InterLymph hierarchical classification of lymphoid neoplasms for epidemiologic research based on the WHO classification (2008): update and future directionsJennifer J Turner
Department of Histopathology, Douglass Hanly Moir Pathology, and the Australian School of Advanced Medicine, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
Blood 116:e90-8. 2010..We encourage epidemiologists to adopt the updated InterLymph hierarchical classification, which incorporates the most recent WHO entities while demonstrating their relationship to older classifications...
- Epidemiological evidence for a relationship between life events, coping style, and personality factors in the development of breast cancerP N Butow
Department of Psychological Medicine, Royal North Shore Hospital, and University of Sydney, NWS 2065, Australia
J Psychosom Res 49:169-81. 2000..Review empirical evidence for a relationship between psychosocial factors and breast cancer development...
- Self report in clinical and epidemiological studies with non-English speakers: the challenge of language and cultureSanja M Hunt
Public Health Sciences, Division of Community Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Medical School, Teviot Place, Edinburgh, Scotland
J Epidemiol Community Health 58:618-22. 2004..The essence of such modifications entails participatory research with members of the linguistic communities concerned...
- The Diesel Exhaust in Miners Study: III. Interrelations between respirable elemental carbon and gaseous and particulate components of diesel exhaust derived from area sampling in underground non-metal mining facilitiesRoel Vermeulen
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, US National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Ann Occup Hyg 54:762-73. 2010..The fact that CO correlated with REC, loaded on the same factor, and increased linearly in log-log space supported the use of CO in estimating historical exposure levels to DE...
- Challenges and novel approaches in the epidemiological study of early life influences on later diseaseGeorge Davey Smith
Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Canynge Hall, Bristol, UK
Adv Exp Med Biol 646:1-14. 2009..Other epidemiological strategies are briefly reviewed. It is concluded that the naïve acceptance of findings utilising conventional epidemiological methods in this setting is misplaced...
- Effects of temperature and air pollutants on cardiovascular and respiratory diseases for males and females older than 65 years of age in Tokyo, July and August 1980-1995F Ye
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Environ Health Perspect 109:355-9. 2001..For angina and acute bronchitis, there were no differences for the expected daily numbers of emergency transports per million between males and females...
- Design and sampling methodology for a large study of preschool children's aggregate exposures to persistent organic pollutants in their everyday environmentsNancy K Wilson
Battelle Memorial Institute, Durham, North Carolina, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 14:260-74. 2004..Field recruitment and data collection began in February 2000 in North Carolina and were completed in November 2001 in Ohio. This paper describes the design strategy, survey sampling, recruiting, and field methods for the CTEPP study...
- Race/ethnicity and the factor structure of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale: a meta-analysisGiyeon Kim
Center for Mental Health and Aging, and Department of Psychology, The University of Alabama, USA
Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol 17:381-96. 2011..of this meta-analysis was to examine racial/ethnic differences in the factor structure of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale (CES-D)...
- Variable selection: current practice in epidemiological studiesStefan Walter
Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Epidemiol 24:733-6. 2009..Editors, reviewers and authors have insufficiently promoted the new, less controversial approaches of variable selection in the biomedical literature, whereas statisticians may not have adequately addressed the method's feasibility...
- Obesity prevalence from a European perspective: a systematic reviewAnne Berghöfer
Institute for Social Medicine, Epidemiology and Health Economics, Charite University Medical Center, Berlin, Germany
BMC Public Health 8:200. 2008..We therefore aimed to identify and discuss current epidemiological data on the prevalence of obesity in European countries...
- Orthodontic treatment need in Spanish schoolchildren: an epidemiological study using the Index of Orthodontic Treatment NeedDavid Manzanera
Department of Stomatology, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Eur J Orthod 31:180-3. 2009..No gender dependent differences were found. Spanish orthodontic treatment need is similar to that reported in most recent studies in Europe, with approximately one in five to six children with an orthodontic treatment need...
- Assessment of automated image analysis of breast cancer tissue microarrays for epidemiologic studiesKelly L Bolton
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:992-9. 2010..We assessed agreement between automated and pathologist scores of a diverse set of immunohistochemical assays done on breast cancer tissue microarrays (TMA)...
- The association between air pollution and heart failure, arrhythmia, embolism, thrombosis, and other cardiovascular causes of death in a time series studyG Hoek
Environmental and Occupational Health, University of Utrecht, P. O. Box 80176, 3508 TD Utrecht, The Netherlands
Epidemiology 12:355-7. 2001..Heart failure deaths, which made up 10% of all cardiovascular deaths, were found to be responsible for about 30% of the cardiovascular deaths related to particulate matter, SO2, CO, and NO2...
- Issues in the development of epidemiologic studies of workers exposed to engineered nanoparticlesPaul A Schulte
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Cincinnati, Ohio 45226, USA
J Occup Environ Med 51:323-35. 2009..It may be too soon to conduct informative epidemiological studies but it is now appropriate to identify issues that will be pertinent and prepare strategies to address them...
- Agricultural pesticide use in California: pesticide prioritization, use densities, and population distributions for a childhood cancer studyR B Gunier
Environmental Health Investigations Branch, California Department of Health Services, 1515 Clay St, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Environ Health Perspect 109:1071-8. 2001..The distribution of agricultural pesticide use and number of potentially exposed children suggests that pesticide use density would be of value for a study of childhood cancer...
- Observational epidemiologic studies of nutrition and cancer: the next generation (with better observation)Arthur Schatzkin
National Cancer Institute, Bethseda, MD, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:1026-32. 2009..The expense involved in administering multiple 24 HRs in large epidemiologic studies, however, has up to now been prohibitive...
- Validity of free testosterone and free estradiol determinations in serum samples from postmenopausal women by theoretical calculationsSabina Rinaldi
IARC, Unit of Nutrition and Cancer, 69500 Lyon, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 11:1065-71. 2002....
- Smoking and panic attacks: an epidemiologic investigationN Breslau
Department of Psychiatry, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Mich 48202 3450, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 56:1141-7. 1999b>Epidemiologic studies have reported a lifetime association between smoking and panic disorder. In this study, we examine potential explanations for this association.
- Cold--an underrated risk factor for healthJames B Mercer
Department of Medical Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tromsø, N 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Environ Res 92:8-13. 2003..g., cold/damp houses versus warm/dry houses) coupled with a plethora of factors including health status, ageing-related deterioration in physiological and behavioral thermoregulation, toxicology, and socioeconomic factors...
- Epidemiological studies of leukaemia in children and young adults around nuclear facilities: a critical reviewD Laurier
Institute for Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety, IRSN, DRPH SRBE, BP17, F 92262 Fontenay aux Roses Cedex, France
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 132:182-90. 2008..Many studies were launched to investigate possible origins of the observed clusters around specific sites, but up to now, none of the proposed hypotheses have explained them...
- The impact of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and fine particles on pregnancy outcomeJ Dejmek
Laboratory of Genetic Ecotoxicology, Regional Institute of Hygiene of Central Bohemia and Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Science of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
Environ Health Perspect 108:1159-64. 2000..The results prove that exposure to c-PAHs in early gestation may influence fetal growth. The particulate matter-IUGR association observed earlier may be at least partly explained by the presence of c-PAHs on particle surfaces...
- Etiology of hormone receptor-defined breast cancer: a systematic review of the literatureMichelle D Althuis
Hormonal and Reproductive Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Room 7084, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:1558-68. 2004..Large population-based studies of determinants of hormone receptor-defined breast cancers defined using state-of-the-art quantitative immunostaining methods are needed to clarify the role of ER/PR expression in breast cancer etiology...
- Air pollution and hospital admissions for ischemic heart disease in persons with congestive heart failure or arrhythmiaJennifer K Mann
Department of Epidemiology, University of California, Berkeley, 94720, USA
Environ Health Perspect 110:1247-52. 2002..This study suggests that people with IHD and accompanying CHF and/or ARR constitute a sensitive subgroup in relation to the effects of criteria ambient air pollutants associated with motor vehicle combustion...
- Ecologic analysis of some immune-related disorders, including type 1 diabetes, in Australia: latitude, regional ultraviolet radiation, and disease prevalenceJudith A Staples
National Center for Epidemiology and Population Health, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Environ Health Perspect 111:518-23. 2003..In light of this study, analytic epidemiologic studies investigating risk of immune disorders in relation to personal UVR exposure in humans are required.
- Selection of measures in epidemiologic studies of the consequences of obesityJ Stevens
Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7461, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 32:S60-6. 2008..Finally, public health messages to the public must be simple to be effective. Therefore, investigators may need to consider the ease of translation of results to the public when choosing a measure...
- Lung cancer and type of cigarette smokedP N Lee
P N Lee Statistics and Computing Ltd, 17 Cedar Road, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5DA, United Kingdom
Inhal Toxicol 13:951-76. 2001..Indeed, the meta-analysis estimates may seriously understate the risk reductions associated with lifetime smoking of low-tar filter cigarettes...
- Quantitative adenovirus neutralization assays based on the secreted alkaline phosphatase reporter gene: application in epidemiologic studies and in the design of adenovector vaccinesMiguel Aste-Amezaga
Department of Virus and Cell Biology, Merck Research Laboratories, Merck and Co, Inc, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Hum Gene Ther 15:293-304. 2004..The evaluation of serotype-specific neutralizing antibodies can be of both clinical and epidemiologic importance as a means of selecting the appropriate serotype adenovector(s)...
- The impact on National Death Index ascertainment of limiting submissions to Social Security Administration Death Master File matches in epidemiologic studies of mortalitySigurd W Hermansen
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Blvd, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:901-8. 2009....
- [A basic set of indicators for mapping migrant status. Recommendations for epidemiological practice]L Schenk
Institut für Medizinische Soziologie im Charité Centrum für Human und Gesundheitswissenschaften, Berlin, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 49:853-60. 2006....
- Can nonstandardized bitewing radiographs be used to assess the presence of alveolar bone loss in epidemiologic studies?Anwar T Merchant
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 32:271-6. 2004To compare periodontitis-associated alveolar bone loss assessment by standardized and nonstandardized radiographs in clinical and epidemiologic studies.
- Population stratification bias in the case-only study for gene-environment interactionsLiang Yi Wang
Research Center for Genes, Environment, and Human Health and the Graduate Institute of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Epidemiol 168:197-201. 2008....
- Interpreting epidemiologic studies of developmental neurotoxicity: conceptual and analytic issuesDavid C Bellinger
Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health, Farley Basement Box 127, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 31:267-74. 2009This paper discusses issues pertaining to the validity, precision, and interpretation of epidemiologic studies of neurotoxicity...
- Considerations for improving the accuracy of exposure to disinfection by-products by ingestion in epidemiologic studiesHoward S Weinberg
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, University of North Carolina, School of Public Health, Rosenau Hall, South Columbia St, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7431, USA
Sci Total Environ 354:35-42. 2006..These factors should be taken into consideration in DBP exposure characterization for epidemiologic studies.
- Predictors of locating children participants in epidemiological studies 20 years after last contact: Internet resources and longitudinal researchCaroline P Barakat-Haddad
School of Geography and Earth Sciences, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Eur J Epidemiol 24:397-405. 2009..Integrating the use of Internet-based public directories for cohort reconstruction can reduce financial costs related to follow-up for longitudinal research...
- Empirical Bayes and semi-Bayes adjustments for a vast number of estimationsUlf Stromberg
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Eur J Epidemiol 24:737-41. 2009..The author proposes consideration of empirical Bayes and semi-Bayes methods, which yield 'adjustments for multiple estimations' by shrinking conventional effect estimates towards the overall average effect...
- Arsenic levels in ground water and cancer incidence in Idaho: an ecologic studyYueh Ying Han
Center for Environmental Oncology, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 82:843-9. 2009..Few epidemiologic studies conducted in the US have detected an association between regional exposures below this level in drinking ..
- Probabilistic approaches to better quantifying the results of epidemiologic studiesPaul Gustafson
Department of Statistics, University of British Columbia, 333 6356 Agricultural Road, Vancouver, B C, V6T 1Z2, Canada
Int J Environ Res Public Health 7:1520-39. 2010..We survey and appraise the recent literature in this area, giving some prominence to the use of Bayesian statistical methodology...
- Cross-language measurement equivalence of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression (CES-D) scale in systemic sclerosis: a comparison of Canadian and Dutch patientsLinda Kwakkenbos
Department of Rheumatology, Sint Maartenskliniek Nijmegen, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 8:e53923. 2013..This study provides an example of how to assess cross-language measurement equivalence by comparing the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression (CES-D) scale between English-speaking Canadian and Dutch SSc patients.
- [Detailed review of epidemiologic studies on adult Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)]Viktoria Simon
Semmelweis Egyetem, Pszichiatriai es Pszichoterapias Klinika, Budapest, Hungary
Psychiatr Hung 22:4-19. 2007..Despite the fact that it also occurs in adults, ADHD represents a barely known and rarely recognized disorder in practice. The objective of this article is to provide a detailed review of epidemiological research into ADHD in adults...
- Exposure to acrylamide and human cancer--a review and meta-analysis of epidemiologic studiesC Pelucchi
Department of Epidemiology, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Ann Oncol 22:1487-99. 2011..Acrylamide has been associated to cancer risk in rodents, but data on humans are inconclusive. We thus carried out a critical review and meta-analysis of studies of exposure to acrylamide and cancer...
- A mobile and asynchronous electronic data capture system for epidemiologic studiesJens Meyer
Institute of Community Medicine, Section Epidemiology of Health Care and Community Health, Ellernholzstr 1 2, 17487 Greifswald, Germany
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 110:369-79. 2013..study specific databases is an essential component for assessment and management of large data volumes in epidemiologic studies. Conventional CDM systems using web applications for data capture depend on permanent access to a network...
- Exposure assessment in epidemiologic studies of adverse pregnancy outcomes and disinfection byproductsWill D King
Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 14:466-72. 2004..of different classes of byproducts; household rather than distribution system sampling; and, incorporation of subject behaviors in exposure assessment in epidemiologic studies of disinfection byproducts and adverse pregnancy outcomes.
- Heart failure after myocardial infarction: a reviewJens P Hellermann
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Med 113:324-30. 2002..We reviewed studies of the incidence, mortality, and predictors of heart failure after myocardial infarction, and suggest directions for further research...
- Is residual confounding a reasonable explanation for the apparent protective effects of beta-carotene found in epidemiologic studies of lung cancer in smokers?Daniel O Stram
Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Am J Epidemiol 155:622-8. 2002..Appropriate cohort studies of lung cancer in smokers, utilizing biomarkers of smoking, are needed and are presently ongoing...
- Review of epidemiologic studies of dietary acrylamide intake and the risk of cancerLoren Lipworth
International Epidemiology Institute, 1455 Research Blvd, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Eur J Cancer Prev 21:375-86. 2012Conjectured associations between dietary acrylamide intake and cancer have been evaluated in more than 15 epidemiologic studies examining almost every major cancer site...
- Differences of blood pressure estimates between consecutive measurements on one occasion: implications for inter-study comparability of epidemiologic studiesM B Schulze
German Institute of Human Nutrition, Potsdam Rehbruecke, Department of Epidemiology, Arthur Scheunert Allee, Bergholz Rehbruecke, Germany
Eur J Epidemiol 16:891-8. 2000Currently, substantial variation in epidemiologic studies exists regarding the number of blood pressure (BP) readings obtained and the way in which they are combined. This might result in systematically different BP estimates...
- Methods for epidemiological study of injuries to professional football players: developing the UEFA modelM Hägglund
Department of Social Medicine and Public Health Science, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Br J Sports Med 39:340-6. 2005..There is a need to agree on a uniform sports injury classification system with corresponding diagnostic criteria, as well as standardised return to play criteria after injury...
- Does increased cigarette consumption nullify any reduction in lung cancer risk associated with low-tar filter cigarettes?Peter N Lee
P N Lee Statistics and Computing Ltd, Sutton, Surrey, United Kingdom
Inhal Toxicol 16:817-33. 2004....
- Questionnaire assessment of nonoccupational pesticide exposure in epidemiologic studies of cancerSusan L Teitelbaum
Department of Community and Preventive Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 12:373-80. 2002Pesticides have been examined in epidemiologic studies as environmental risk factors for cancer, in part, due to the identification of carcinogenic properties of some of these chemicals using animal models...
- Air pollution and health in Sri Lanka: a review of epidemiologic studiesYatagama Lokuge S Nandasena
Evaluation and Research Unit, National Institute of Health Sciences, Ministry of Health, Kalutara, Sri Lanka
BMC Public Health 10:300. 2010....
- Molecular pathology in epidemiologic studies: a primer on key considerationsMark E Sherman
National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, Rockville, MD, 6120 Executive Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20852 7234, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:966-72. 2010The development of molecular pathologic components in epidemiologic studies offers opportunities to relate etiologic factors to specific tumor types, which in turn may allow the development of better overall risk prediction and provide ..
- Using the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale to screen for depression in systemic lupus erythematosusLaura J Julian
University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 63:884-90. 2011..The purpose of this study was to determine the utility of a brief screening measure, the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale (CES-D), in detecting mood disorders in persons with SLE.
- Review of epidemiologic studies on occupational factors and lower extremity musculoskeletal and vascular disorders and symptomsJennifer C D'Souza
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, The University of Michigan School of Public Health, 109 South Observatory, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2029, USA
J Occup Rehabil 15:129-65. 2005..Overall, better exposure assessment is needed to examine the causal pathway between occupational factors and MSDs...
- Allowing for variations in multivitamin supplement composition improves nutrient intake estimates for epidemiologic studiesSong Yi Park
Cancer Epidemiology Program, Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
J Nutr 136:1359-64. 2006....
- Smoking and psychiatric disorders: a comorbidity surveyF L Lopes
Laboratório de Pânico e Respiração, Instituto de Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 35:961-7. 2002..Some specific features of our population (outpatients, anxiety and depressive disorders) might be responsible for these results...
- Credibility of neuropsychological performances of Persian Gulf War veterans and military control subjects participating in clinical epidemiological researchJoseph Barrash
Department of Neurology, University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Mil Med 172:697-707. 2007..Findings supported the validity of noncredibility judgments and suggested that noncredible examinations are not a significant problem in neuropsychological investigations of GWVs...
- Exposure assessment of ultrafine particles in epidemiologic time-series studiesJuha Pekkanen
National Public Health Institute, Kuopio, Finland
Scand J Work Environ Health 30:9-18. 2004..It is concluded that central site monitoring may give a somewhat worse proxy for human exposure to ultrafine particles than to PM2.5 in time-series studies...
- A systematic review of epidemiologic studies assessing condom use and risk of syphilisCatherine A Koss
Division of STD Prevention, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Sex Transm Dis 36:401-5. 2009Although systematic reviews of epidemiologic studies have been conducted for condom use and the risk of several sexually transmitted diseases, there have been no such reviews for condom use and syphilis.
- Defining menopausal status in epidemiologic studies: A comparison of multiple approaches and their effects on breast cancer ratesAmanda I Phipps
University of Washington, Epidemiology Department, 1959 NE Pacific Street, Health Sciences Building F 262, Box 357236, Seattle, WA 98195 7236, USA
Maturitas 67:60-6. 2010Menopausal status is a common covariate in epidemiologic studies. Still, there are no standard definitions for menopausal status using observational data...
- [Review of epidemiologic studies in cardiology in Poland]Piotr Podolec
Oddział Kliniczny Chorób Serca i Naczyń, KSS im Jana Pawła II, ul Pradnicka 80, 31 202 Krakow, tel 48 12 614 33 99, faks 48 12 614 34 23, E mail
Kardiol Pol 64:1031-7. 2006
- Limitations of direct immunoassays for measuring circulating estradiol levels in postmenopausal women and men in epidemiologic studiesFrank Z Stanczyk
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:903-6. 2010Serum estradiol (E(2)) serves as an important diagnostic marker in a variety of clinical conditions. In epidemiologic studies, E(2) is commonly used to define the etiologic role of estrogen in hormone-related cancers and chronic ..
- Exposure to pesticides and childhood cancer risk: has there been any progress in epidemiological studies?Joanna Jurewicz
Department of Environmental Epdemiology, Nofer Institute of Occupational Medicine, Lodz, Poland
Int J Occup Med Environ Health 19:152-69. 2006..Pesticides have been used since the early days of modern agriculture. They are biologically active compounds, which may pose health risk during or after their use...
- Epidemiologic studies of isoflavones & mammographic densityGertraud Maskarinec
Cancer Research Center of Hawaii, 1236 Lauhala Street, Honolulu, HI 96813, USA
Nutrients 2:35-48. 2010..Soy foods and isoflavone supplements within a nutritional range do not appear to modify breast cancer risk as assessed by mammographic density...
- Accuracy of self-reported pesticide use duration information from licensed pesticide applicators in the Agricultural Health StudyJane A Hoppin
Epidemiology Branch, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709 2233, USA
J Expo Anal Environ Epidemiol 12:313-8. 2002..While we are unable to validate directly the accuracy of a respondent's use of pesticides, this analysis suggests that participants provide plausible information regarding their pesticide use...
- Large epidemiologic studies of gout: challenges in diagnosis and diagnostic criteriaJosé M A Wijnands
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, Maastricht University Medical Center and Research School Caphri, Maastricht University, PO Box 5800, NL 6202 AZ, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Curr Rheumatol Rep 13:167-74. 2011Large epidemiologic studies of gout can improve insight into the etiology, pathology, impact, and management of the disease...
- The impact of self-identified race on epidemiologic studies of gene expressionSunita Sharma
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Genet Epidemiol 35:93-101. 2011..These results suggest that self-identified race is a critical confounding covariate in epidemiologic studies of gene expression and that, similar to genetic studies, careful consideration of self-identified race in ..
- Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) gene polymorphisms and colorectal cancer: a meta-analysis of epidemiologic studiesZigang Zhao
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, PR China
Genet Test Mol Biomarkers 16:1390-4. 2012..To clarify the effect of four VEGF (-460T/C, -634G/C, +936C/T, and -2578C/A) gene polymorphisms on the risk of developing CRC, we carried out a meta-analysis using published data to obtain more precise estimates of risk...
- Psychometric value of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression (CES-D) scale for screening of depressive symptoms in Armenian populationA Demirchyan
Center for Health Services Research and Development, American University of Armenia, Yerevan, Armenia
J Affect Disord 133:489-98. 2011This study examined the psychometric value of the Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale (CES-D) translated for use with an Armenian population.
- [Sample selection in epidemiologic studies]Andrzej Zielinski
Przegl Epidemiol 56:489-98. 2002..Some important sources of selection bias and methods of avoiding it are also addressed in this article...
- Measurement errors in the assessment of exposure to solar ultraviolet radiation and its impact on risk estimates in epidemiological studiesPayam Dadvand
Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology CREAL, Barcelona Biomedical Research Park, Dr Aiguader, 88, 08003, Barcelona, Spain
Photochem Photobiol Sci 10:1161-8. 2011..Our results emphasise the importance of integrating both personal behaviour and ambient UVR levels/latitude in exposure assessment methodologies...
- Retinoid and Carotenoid Depletion in Patients at High-Risk for Liver CancerPeter H Gann; Fiscal Year: 2010..Before we can properly design prevention trials with the right intervention, the right target population and the right endpoints, we need preliminary studies for guidance, such as we have proposed. ..
- METABOLIC SYNDROME AND PERIODONTITIS IN POSTMENOPAUSAL WOMENMichael J LaMonte; Fiscal Year: 2013..The existing resources for this secondary data analysis provide an unprecedented cost- efficient opportunity to build on established work and expand knowledge in this important area of public health. ..
- VitC to Decrease Effects of Smoking in Pregnancy on Infant Lung Function-CCC-LeadCYNTHIA T MCEVOY; Fiscal Year: 2013..These changes can still be measured even after the infants have reached adulthood. Multiple epidemiologic studies show that these decreases in pulmonary function lead to increased respiratory disease and costs of ..
- Neuroprotection and Myelin Repair Mechanisms in Multiple SclerosisInderjit Singh; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Weight Loss &Exercise Effects on Telomere Length in Postmenopausal WomenANNE M MCTIERNAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recent epidemiologic studies have suggested an association between telomere shortening in peripheral blood cells and increased risk of ..
- Identification of Proteins Important for Male OsteoporosisHong Wen Deng; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project aims to identify proteins that are important to male osteoporosis. The findings will provide essential scientific basis for effective prevention, diagnosis and treatment of the disease. ..
- Effect of diet & commensal bacteria on diabetes outcome in NOD mouseLi Wen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although we use a diabetes model system, the impact of our study is beyond T1D and could potentially apply to allergy, asthma and possibly other diseases that affect by environments. ..
- Respiratory and autonomic plasticity following intermittent hypoxiaJASON HAROLD MATEIKA; Fiscal Year: 2012..Consequently, determining the mechanisms that may impact on apnea severity and exacerbate autonomic perturbations associated with this disorder is important, as is discovering novel treatments. ..
- Dependency of O-3 Induced Lung Mucus Hypersecretion on NQ01W Michael Foster; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Recent epidemiologic studies have re-ignited an old controversy and opinions are forming as to whether mucus hypersecretion is crucial in the etiology of airway disease...
- Roles of NF-kB/Rel in the pathogenesis of breast cancerGail E Sonenshein; Fiscal Year: 2012..Thus, pre-clinical testing of green tea components on breast cancer cells that are resistant to antibody therapy will be performed, and if successful, this approach can readily be translated to the clinic. ..
- PROSPECTIVE STUDIES OF DIET AND CANCER IN MEN AND WOMENWalter C Willett; Fiscal Year: 2010..The findings will contribute importantly to the prevention and prognosis of major cancers of men and women. ..
- VitC to Decrease Effects of Smoking in Pregnancy on Infant Lung Function-DCCCynthia D Morris; Fiscal Year: 2013..These changes can still be measured even after the infants have reached adulthood. Multiple epidemiologic studies show that these decreases in pulmonary function lead to increased respiratory disease and costs of ..
- Exploring persistent epigenetic changes after prenatal famine exposure in humansL H Lumey; Fiscal Year: 2010..Conducting large epidemiologic studies with robust measures of exposures based on information already collected in the past during critical ..
- Randomized trial of PEITC as a modifier of NNK metabolism in smokersJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2012..The major strengths include the need for a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of PEITC, the qualification of the investigators, and the feasibility of the proposed studies. ..
- Outcomes of Infertility Treatments in Clinic and Population-Based CohortsJoseph B Stanford; Fiscal Year: 2010..ART produces high pregnancy rates in the short term, making it an attractive treatment. However, epidemiologic studies have demonstrated higher incidence of preterm birth, low birth weight, and birth defects among children ..
- Green Tea and Reduction of Breast Cancer RiskMINDY SUSAN KURZER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The development of a viable non-toxic chemoprevention strategy targeting high risk women could have a significant impact on breast cancer morbidity and mortality. ..
- Impact of smoking on immune response and arthritis in humanized miceVeena Taneja; Fiscal Year: 2011..These studies will identify if certain genes make individuals more susceptible to the effects of smoking so that an earlier intervention can be done to avoid joint deformities. ..
- Oxidative stress and neurogenetic networks in DrosophilaRobert R H Anholt; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Geriatric Conditions and Disablement in the Older Adult PopulationChristine T Cigolle; Fiscal Year: 2013..Her future research methods will focus on implementation and analysis of large epidemiologic studies of older adults...
- A Rapid Point-of-care Diagnostic for C.trachomitis STDsRICHARD F contact SELDEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..trachomatis strains and for epidemiologic studies);3) Secure patents for FDA approval;4) Design a head-to-head clinical study of our diagnostic against ..
- PREVENTION OF QUINONE TOXICITY AND MUTAGENICITYANIL KUMAR JAISWAL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The studies are clinically relevant since a significant number of individuals are deficient in NQO1 and NQO2, or both due to mutations/gene alterations. ..
- Effect of Neonatal Hyperoxia on Alveolar Development and InfectionMICHAEL A O'REILLY; Fiscal Year: 2012..Moreover, recent epidemiologic studies indicate children who had been exposed to elevated oxygen at birth are more likely to have viral ..
- Early Disease Biomarkers of PCB-exposed Human PopulationSisir K Dutta; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Effect Ultraviolet Radiation on Latent M. tuberculosis Infection in Guinea PigsAmminikutty Jeevan; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will be addressed in the low-dose guinea pig model of pulmonary tuberculosis as the disease in these animals closely resembles the human disease. ..
- A dataset for the study of the social determinants of health.Peter A Muennig; Fiscal Year: 2010..This dataset will advance social epidemiologic studies of health disparities beyond mere identification and description to a deeper understanding of the ..
- Vitamin D Effect on Body Composition During Behavioral Weight Loss in WomenANNE M MCTIERNAN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- DNA methylation alterations in response to pesticides exposureLifang Hou; Fiscal Year: 2010..exposure to pesticides have repeatedly been associated with increased human cancer incidence in epidemiologic studies. Our recent analysis of the Agricultural Health Study (AHS) cohort, the largest prospective study in the ..
- Lipid peroxidation product induced DNA damage in the p53 gene and liver cancerERIC MOON SHONG M TANG; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, we will determine the effect of stereostructure of 4-HNE-dG at GAGGC sites on repair and mutagenicity. Results from these studies should greatly enhance our understanding of the role of LPO in hepatocarcinogenesis. ..
- Gene expression responses to air pollution and modification by genetic variationSharine Wittkopp; Fiscal Year: 2013..Investigating these relationships may elucidate potential mechanisms for the cardiovascular effects of air pollution exposure. ..
- Prevention of high fat diet-induced vascular injuryMing Hui Zou; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is anticipated that the completion of this project will yield important insights into how omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids protect against cardiovascular diseases. ..
- The Greatest Generation: The NAS-NRC WWII Twin Registry as a Scientific ResourceMargaret Gatz; Fiscal Year: 2012..for unmeasured genetic and family environmental factors, something not possible in standard case-control epidemiologic studies, in order to give clearer answers to how earlier influences lead to subsequent differences in life ..
- Alcoholic Liver Dysfunction Potentiation by Hyperlipidemia and Cigarette SmokeSHANNON MARIE BAILEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..k.a. environmental tobacco smoke (ETS). This is important because these risk factors are ubiquitous and epidemiologic studies show that hyperlipidemia and cigarette smoke have additive or synergistic effects to exacerbate alcoholic ..
- Apple peel extract inhibits Cr(VI)-induced lung cancerZhuo Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this aim we will Investigate the protection of apple peel extract against Cr(VI)-induced inflammation, chronic oxidative lung injury, and cell proliferation using female BALB/c mice. ..
- Mechanisms of arsenic-induced chromosomal instability and carcinogenesisWei Dai; Fiscal Year: 2013..We anticipate that this line of research will lead to the identification of key molecular targets for cancer intervention, as well as for ameliorating the detrimental effects of arsenic compounds. ..
- Extending Sleep in Obese Adults to Promote Weight LossAnn E Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2010..Sleep loss due to voluntary curtailment of sleep is common among Americans of all ages. Numerous epidemiologic studies have revealed a dose-dependant relationship between reduced sleep duration and increased body mass index (..
- ACTIVATED MACROPHAGES AND OZONE TOXICITYDEBRA LYNN LASKIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Epidemiologic studies in the U.S...
- Immunobiology of Acute Environmental AsthmaDavid B Peden; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) To study the relevance of cryopyrin and a cryopyrin-adaptor (ASC) in asthma. (3) To study and identify factors which modulate the nucleotide-binding properties and ATPase function of Monarch-1 and cryopyrin. ..
- Predictors of tuberculosis by stage of insulin resistanceAlicia Hsin Ming Chang; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. and in the world. ..
- Gender Selectivity to Colon Cancer Chemoprevention by NSAIDSRAMESH K contact WALI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These findings will have an important bearing on the healthcare recommendations for colon cancer chemoprevention which have to be cognizant of this gender selective efficacy for maximum cost-benefit potential of NSAIDS. ..
- Genomic profiling of yeast resistance to AFB1, a P450-activated carcinogenMICHAEL THOMAS FASULLO; Fiscal Year: 2013..The project will be a valuable training tool in systems and computational biology. ..
- Can diet- &exercise-induced weight loss improve asthma control in obese adults?Jun Ma; Fiscal Year: 2013..If successful, this project will help advance the current clinical guidelines for treating obese adults with asthma, which, in turn, may lead to reduced morbidity and mortality associated with asthma and obesity. ..
- Longitudinal Study of Lipids and APOE in the Development of AD and AD PathologyMichelle M Mielke; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Diesel, Allergens and Gene Interaction and Child AtopyGrace LeMasters; Fiscal Year: 2009..need to consider genetic make-up when quantifying nicotine and cotinine as biomarkers of ETS exposure in epidemiologic studies. Further, this research may provide a basis for development of future therapies that identify children ..
- Tissue recovery in the pathophysiology of stress urinary incontinenceAdonis K Hijaz; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- A Microfluidic-platform Mini-Liver System for Human Liver Biology StudiesHONGSEOK M NOH; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Breast Carcinoma in situ: Predicting Risk and OutcomesAmy Trentham-Dietz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using epidemiologic studies and computer modeling, this study will address BCIS uncertainties by characterizing the multitude of ..
- Prenatal stress biology, infant body composition and obesity riskSonja Entringer; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Diet, Biomarkers and Lung FunctionRui Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will prepare the candidate well to apply successfully for R01 on diet, diet-related genes, and gene-diet interactions in lung function and COPD. ..
- Innate immunity predictors of HIV: the role of contraception, pregnancy and HSV-2Charles Morrison; Fiscal Year: 2013..may modify the female immune system to increase the risk of HIV is key to clarifying the results of the epidemiologic studies and to establishing more accurate and effective public health policy and practice...
- The role of XMRV, a newly discovered human retrovirus, in cancer pathogenesisIla R Singh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Morbidity and mortality due to prostate cancer are likely to grow further given increasing longevity. Epidemiologic studies indicate that infection and inflammation may play a role in the development of prostate cancer (3, 4)...
- Mechanisms of Arsenic-Induced Developmental ToxicityLisa Bain; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Maternal Dietary Patterns and Child Weight StatusChantel L Martin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Additionally, this fellowship application will facilitate the applicant's career pathto becoming an independent, interdisciplinary investigator of the nutritional aspects of perinatal and pediatric epidemiology. ..
- Atrial Fibrillation in Hyperthyroidism: Active Antibodies to Autonomic ReceptorsDAVID KEM; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our studies are directed toward establishing this association with atrial fibrillation and to develop future preventative measures and treatment. ..
- Case-Cohort Study of Cancers in Excess in Poultry WorkersEric S Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..that the viruses cause cancer in humans is currently lacking partly because of the absence of analytic epidemiologic studies of cancer risk in exposed individuals...
- Environmental arsenic and diabetes mellitusMiroslav Styblo; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, epidemiologic studies indicate that iAs exerts other adverse effects that do not involve cancer...
- Toll-like Receptor 2, Vitamin D, and Extrapulmonary TuberculosisCHRISTINA A FISKE; Fiscal Year: 2013..background in clinical research, having obtained her Masters of Public Health and completed several TB epidemiologic studies. This award will support her while she achieves her short term career goal of expanding her knowledge of ..
- Biological &Environmental Mediators of Vitamin D and Aggressive Prostate CancerADAM BRYANT MURPHY; Fiscal Year: 2013..In several epidemiologic studies, vitamin D deficiency is associated with increased risk of prostate cancer and in some studies, aggressive ..
- Perinatal Stress and programming of childhood wheeze and lung functionRosalind J Wright; Fiscal Year: 2013..Knowledge gained from the proposed research may inform new pathways linking stress to lung structure-function changes. ..
- Bisphenol A: Urine flow disorder and prostate pathologyFREDERICK S contact VOM SAAL; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Epidemiologic studies that relate to mechanistic findings in animals are given considerable weight in the risk management ..
- Measuring Tobacco Mortality within the Million Death Study in IndiaPrabhat Jha; Fiscal Year: 2010..The blood-based pilot studies should enable large, representative and reliable genetic and biological epidemiological studies of premature mortality in the near future. ..
- Intervention of Pancreatic Oncogenic Pathways with Dietary TocotrienolMokenge P Malafa; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results from these studies will advance our understanding of how a bioactive food component such as delta-tocotrienol can be exploited for the prevention and treatment of pancreatic cancer. ..
- Nutrition, Deregulation of Imprinted GenesCathrine Hoyo; Fiscal Year: 2013..associated with increased risk of obesity, overgrowth disorders and obesity-related cancers in animal and epidemiologic studies. DLK1 exhibits many of the same structural and regulatory characteristics of the coordinately regulated ..
- DNA Repair Capacity and Risk of Pre-malignant Lesion in Lung EpitheliumHua Zhao; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such individuals may then be targeted for specific intervention programs such as chemoprevention and dietary modification. ..
- Identification of biomarkers of fatty acid intakeHannia Campos; Fiscal Year: 2002..between specific fatty acid intake and their levels in blood and adipose tissue are scarce in epidemiologic studies. Technological advances in gas chromatography and fatty acid peak identification software now make it ..
- Antigenic variation by multiple promoter inversions in Mycoplasma penetransMichael Calcutt; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study of the system of antigenic variation in this organism will both further our understanding of this complex process and provide a platform for the future development of strategies for treatment and prevention. ..
- Mechanism of Arsenic-Induced DiabetesMiroslav Styblo; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- ATYPICAL ODONTALGIA AND ENDODONTIC TREATMENT, SENSORY TESTING AND GENETIC STUDYEli Eliav; Fiscal Year: 2010..This exploratory study results may serve as the ground for a further study that will evaluate more patients prior to the procedure, will study predisposing factors and will help predict treatment outcome. ..
- ORGANOCHLORINE COMPOUNDS AND RISK OF BREAST CANCERTongzhang Zheng; Fiscal Year: 1993..Recent epidemiologic studies strongly suggest that environmental exposure to organochlorine residues increases the risk of female ..
- S100A8/A9 and carboxylated N-glycans in inflammation-mediated colon cancerGEETHA K SRIKRISHNA; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study hopes to find targets for novel therapies to treat inflammation-based colon cancers. ..
- Prevention of Neck Injuries in Older Adults During Rear Motor Vehicle CollsionsPAUL IVANCIC; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed project will provide important research-based data that may form the basis for future safety standards and help to decrease the frequency and severity of neck injuries in older adults, thus benefiting society. ..
- Domestic endotoxin exposure and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseNadia Hansel; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our results will provide the necessary clinical and scientific foundation to develop future gene-environment interaction and intervention studies aimed at reducing endotoxin exposure in order to decrease COPD morbidity and mortality. ..
- COCAINE, ALCOHOL, AND COCAETHYLENE--CLINICAL EFFECTSElinore McCance Katz; Fiscal Year: 2002..In total, these studies should provide significant contributions to the current state of knowledge regarding the epidemiology of cocaine-alcohol abuse and treatment of these disorders. ..
- COCAINE, ALCOHOL, AND COCAETHYLENE--CLINICAL EFFECTSElinore McCance Katz; Fiscal Year: 2000..In total, these studies should provide significant contributions to the current state of knowledge regarding the epidemiology of cocaine-alcohol abuse and treatment of these disorders. ..
- Sodium and Cardiovascular Disease in Patients with Chronic Kidney DiseaseJiang He; Fiscal Year: 2010..The few prospective epidemiologic studies that examined the relationship between dietary sodium and potassium intake and risk of CVD provided ..
- PAH/Metal exposure and effects assessment in ChattanoogaSean Richards; Fiscal Year: 2004..5) Quantify the potential for the residents of South Chattanooga to be exposed and affected by PAHs and metals present in area soil by using the data generated in this study in a probabilistic risk assessment. ..
- Targeting MCPyV to Overcome Immune Evasion in Merkel Cell CarcinomaPaul Nghiem; Fiscal Year: 2010..MCC incidence is strongly associated with T cell immune dysfunction in epidemiologic studies. Indeed, MCC incidence is 10- to 30-fold increased in people with clinically recognized T cell dysfunction ..