Genomes and Genes
double blind method
Summary: A method of studying a drug or procedure in which both the subjects and investigators are kept unaware of who is actually getting which specific treatment.
Publications240 found, 100 shown here
- Rituximab for rheumatoid arthritis refractory to anti-tumor necrosis factor therapy: Results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase III trial evaluating primary efficacy and safety at twenty-four weeksStanley B Cohen
Radiant Research, Dallas, Texas 75235, USA
Arthritis Rheum 54:2793-806. 2006....
- Oxytocin improves "mind-reading" in humansGregor Domes
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Rostock University, Rostock, Germany
Biol Psychiatry 61:731-3. 2007..The neuropeptide oxytocin plays a central role in social approach behavior in nonhuman mammals...
- Oxytocin shapes the neural circuitry of trust and trust adaptation in humansThomas Baumgartner
Center for the Study of Social and Neural Systems, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics, University of Zurich, Blumlisalpstrasse 10, CH 8006 Zurich, Switzerland
Neuron 58:639-50. 2008..These findings may help to develop deeper insights into mental disorders such as social phobia and autism, which are characterized by persistent fear or avoidance of social interactions...
- Effectiveness of cellulose sulfate vaginal gel for the prevention of HIV infection: results of a Phase III trial in NigeriaVera Halpern
Family Health International, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3784. 2008..This trial evaluated the safety and effectiveness of 6% cellulose sulfate vaginal gel in preventing male-to-female vaginal transmission of HIV, gonorrhea and chlamydial infection...
- Efficacy and safety of atomoxetine as add-on to psychoeducation in the treatment of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study in stimulant-naïve Swedish children and adolescentsPär Svanborg
Eli Lilly Sweden AB, Gustav III Boulevard 42, Box 721, 169 27, Solna, Sweden
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 18:240-9. 2009..HRQL results will be presented elsewhere. Here, psychoeducation as well as efficacy and safety of the treatment are described...
- Salmeterol and fluticasone propionate and survival in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseasePeter M A Calverley
University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 356:775-89. 2007..Long-acting beta-agonists and inhaled corticosteroids are used to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), but their effect on survival is unknown...
- Does quality of reports of randomised trials affect estimates of intervention efficacy reported in meta-analyses?D Moher
Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute, and Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa, Canada
Lancet 352:609-13. 1998..We investigated whether different methods of quality assessment provide different estimates of intervention efficacy evaluated in randomised controlled trials (RCTs)...
- Effects of an angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor, ramipril, on cardiovascular events in high-risk patients. The Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study InvestigatorsS Yusuf
Canadian Cardiovascular Collaboration Project Office, Hamilton General Hospital, McMaster University, ON
N Engl J Med 342:145-53. 2000..We assessed the role of an angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor, ramipril, in patients who were at high risk for cardiovascular events but who did not have left ventricular dysfunction or heart failure...
- Early intensive vs a delayed conservative simvastatin strategy in patients with acute coronary syndromes: phase Z of the A to Z trialJames A de Lemos
Donald W Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75390 9047, USA
JAMA 292:1307-16. 2004..Limited data are available evaluating how the timing and intensity of statin therapy following an acute coronary syndrome (ACS) event affect clinical outcome...
- Inhibition of food intake in obese subjects by peptide YY3-36Rachel L Batterham
Department of Metabolic Medicine, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine at Hammersmith Campus, Du Cane Rd, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 349:941-8. 2003..However, in obesity there is a marked resistance to the action of leptin, which greatly limits its therapeutic effectiveness. We investigated whether obese subjects were also resistant to the anorectic effects of PYY...
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metforminWilliam C Knowler
Diabetes Prevention Program Coordinating Center, Biostatistics Center, George Washington University, 6110 Executive Blvd, Suite 750, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
N Engl J Med 346:393-403. 2002..We hypothesized that modifying these factors with a lifestyle-intervention program or the administration of metformin would prevent or delay the development of diabetes...
- Effect of pharmacotherapy on rate of decline of lung function in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: results from the TORCH studyBartolome R Celli
Tufts University School of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Caritas St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Boston, MA 02135 2997, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:332-8. 2008..Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is characterized by an accelerated decline in lung function. No drug has been shown conclusively to reduce this decline...
- Maintaining remission of ulcerative colitis with the probiotic Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 is as effective as with standard mesalazineW Kruis
Evangelisches Krankenhaus Kalk, University of Cologne, Germany
Gut 53:1617-23. 2004..We compared the efficacy in maintaining remission of the probiotic preparation Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 and established therapy with mesalazine in patients with ulcerative colitis...
- Phase 1/2a study of the malaria vaccine candidate apical membrane antigen-1 (AMA-1) administered in adjuvant system AS01B or AS02AMichele D Spring
United States Military Malaria Vaccine Program, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e5254. 2009....
- Acute administration of d-amphetamine decreases impulsivity in healthy volunteersHarriet de Wit
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 27:813-25. 2002..These results suggest that acute doses of amphetamine decrease several forms of impulsive behavior. These findings extend and confirm previous findings in humans and laboratory animals...
- The effect of irbesartan on the development of diabetic nephropathy in patients with type 2 diabetesH H Parving
Steno Diabetes Center, Copenhagen, Denmark
N Engl J Med 345:870-8. 2001..02). CONCLUSIONS: Irbesartan is renoprotective independently of its blood-pressure-lowering effect in patients with type 2 diabetes and microalbuminuria...
- Effects of losartan on renal and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathyB M Brenner
Renal Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 345:861-9. 2001..We assessed the role of the angiotensin-II-receptor antagonist losartan in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy...
- Gabapentin for the symptomatic treatment of painful neuropathy in patients with diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled trialM Backonja
Department of Neurology, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53792, USA
JAMA 280:1831-6. 1998..Pain is the most disturbing symptom of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. As many as 45% of patients with diabetes mellitus develop peripheral neuropathies...
- Efficacy of RTS,S/AS01E vaccine against malaria in children 5 to 17 months of agePhilip Bejon
Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Coast, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Kilifi, Kenya
N Engl J Med 359:2521-32. 2008..We evaluated the efficacy of RTS,S given with a more immunogenic adjuvant system (AS01E) in children 5 to 17 months of age, a target population for vaccine licensure...
- A randomized controlled phase 2 trial of the blood stage AMA1-C1/Alhydrogel malaria vaccine in children in MaliIssaka Sagara
Malaria Research and Training Center, Faculty of Medicine Pharmacy and Dentistry BP 1805 Bamako, University of Bamako, Mali, Malaysia
Vaccine 27:3090-8. 2009..5 g/dL, in the direction of lower hemoglobin in the children who received AMA1-C1, although these differences were not significant after correction for multiple tests. These differences were not seen in the second year of transmission...
- A placebo-controlled trial of interferon gamma-1b in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisGanesh Raghu
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
N Engl J Med 350:125-33. 2004..Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is a progressive, fatal disease with no known efficacious therapy...
- Effects of genistein and hormone-replacement therapy on bone loss in early postmenopausal women: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled studyNunziata Morabito
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Messina, Italy
J Bone Miner Res 17:1904-12. 2002....
- Quadrivalent vaccine against human papillomavirus to prevent anogenital diseasesSuzanne M Garland
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Department, Royal Women s Hospital, and the University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
N Engl J Med 356:1928-43. 2007..A phase 3 trial was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of a prophylactic quadrivalent vaccine in preventing anogenital diseases associated with human papillomavirus (HPV) types 6, 11, 16, and 18...
- Probiotics in primary prevention of atopic disease: a randomised placebo-controlled trialM Kalliomaki
Department of Paediatrics, University of Turku and Turku University Hospital, Finland
Lancet 357:1076-9. 2001..We assessed the effect on atopic disease of Lactobacillus GG (which is safe at an early age and effective in treatment of allergic inflammation and food allergy)...
- Glycemic durability of rosiglitazone, metformin, or glyburide monotherapySteven E Kahn
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington, Seattle 98108, USA
N Engl J Med 355:2427-43. 2006..The efficacy of thiazolidinediones, as compared with other oral glucose-lowering medications, in maintaining long-term glycemic control in type 2 diabetes is not known...
- Effects of tiotropium on lung hyperinflation, dyspnoea and exercise tolerance in COPDD E O'Donnell
Respiratory Investigation Unit, Dept of Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Eur Respir J 23:832-40. 2004..Resultant increases in inspiratory capacity permitted greater expansion of tidal volume and contributed to improvements in both exertional dyspnoea and exercise endurance...
- Randomized trial of estrogen plus progestin for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in postmenopausal women. Heart and Estrogen/progestin Replacement Study (HERS) Research GroupS Hulley
University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
JAMA 280:605-13. 1998..However, given the favorable pattern of CHD events after several years of therapy, it could be appropriate for women already receiving this treatment to continue...
- Sertraline treatment of major depression in patients with acute MI or unstable anginaAlexander H Glassman
Department of Clinical Psychopharmacology, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Dr, Unit 116, New York, NY 10032, USA
JAMA 288:701-9. 2002..However, no published evidence exists that antidepressant drugs are safe or efficacious in patients with unstable ischemic heart disease...
- Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with humanized anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody: a multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialNorihiro Nishimoto
Laboratory of Immune Regulation, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University, Suita City, Osaka, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 50:1761-9. 2004..This study was undertaken to evaluate the safety and efficacy of a humanized anti-IL-6 receptor antibody, MRA, in patients with RA...
- Randomized, double-blind, phase 2a trial of falciparum malaria vaccines RTS,S/AS01B and RTS,S/AS02A in malaria-naive adults: safety, efficacy, and immunologic associates of protectionKent E Kester
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, 503 Robert Grant Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910, USA
J Infect Dis 200:337-46. 2009..To further increase the efficacy of malaria vaccine RTS,S/AS02A, we tested the RTS,S antigen formulated using the AS01B Adjuvant System (GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals)...
- Transient memory impairment after acute dose of 75mg 3.4-Methylene-dioxymethamphetamineKim P C Kuypers
Experimental Psychopharmacology Unit, Department of Neurocognition, Faculty of Psychology, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Psychopharmacol 19:633-9. 2005..Methylphenidate did not affect memory or mood at any time of testing. A single dose of MDMA produces transient memory impairment...
- Combined salmeterol and fluticasone in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomised controlled trialPeter Calverley
Department of Medicine, Clinical Sciences Centre, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, UK
Lancet 361:449-56. 2003..We postulated that a combination of these treatments would be better than each component used alone...
- Supplementation with cholecalciferol does not result in weight reduction in overweight and obese subjectsM Sneve
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of North Norway, 9038 Tromsø, Norway
Eur J Endocrinol 159:675-84. 2008..Investigate whether cholecalciferol supplementation leads to weight loss in overweight and obese adults...
- Value of low dose combination treatment with blood pressure lowering drugs: analysis of 354 randomised trialsM R Law
Department of Environmental and Preventive Medicine, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of London, London EC1M 6BQ
BMJ 326:1427. 2003....
- The PREMIER study: A multicenter, randomized, double-blind clinical trial of combination therapy with adalimumab plus methotrexate versus methotrexate alone or adalimumab alone in patients with early, aggressive rheumatoid arthritis who had not had previoFerdinand C Breedveld
Department of Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Centre, Albinusdreef 2, C4 R Postbox 9600, Leiden 2300 RC, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 54:26-37. 2006..To compare the efficacy and safety of adalimumab plus methotrexate (MTX) versus MTX monotherapy or adalimumab monotherapy in patients with early, aggressive rheumatoid arthritis (RA) who had not previously received MTX treatment...
- Dapagliflozin, a novel SGLT2 inhibitor, induces dose-dependent glucosuria in healthy subjectsB Komoroski
Discovery Medicine and Clinical Pharmacology, Research and Development, Bristol Myers Squibb, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 85:520-6. 2009....
- Chronic daily headache prophylaxis with tizanidine: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter outcome studyJoel R Saper
Michigan Head Pain and Neurological Institute, Ann Arbor 48104, USA
Headache 42:470-82. 2002..To assess the efficacy of tizanidine hydrochloride versus placebo as adjunctive prophylactic therapy for chronic daily headache (chronic migraine, migrainous headache, or tension-type headache)...
- Cortisol variation in humans affects memory for emotionally laden and neutral informationHeather C Abercrombie
Department of Psychology, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1202 West Johnson Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Behav Neurosci 117:505-16. 2003..Results suggest that the effects of cortisol on memory do not differ substantially for emotional and neutral information. The study provides evidence of beneficial effects of acute cortisol elevations on explicit memory in humans...
- Less radiographic progression with adalimumab plus methotrexate versus methotrexate monotherapy across the spectrum of clinical response in early rheumatoid arthritisPaul Emery
Section of Musculoskeletal Disease, Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, University of Leeds NIHR Leeds Musculoskeletal Biomedical Research Unit, Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust, Leeds, United Kingdom
J Rheumatol 36:1429-41. 2009..To determine the relationship between radiographic progression and clinical response for adalimumab plus methotrexate (MTX) versus either monotherapy in patients with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in the PREMIER study...
- The effects of strontium ranelate on the risk of vertebral fracture in women with postmenopausal osteoporosisPierre J Meunier
Department of Rheumatology and Bone Diseases, Edouard Herriot Hospital, Lyons, France
N Engl J Med 350:459-68. 2004....
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of modified-release methylphenidate in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderLaurence L Greenhill
New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, New York 10032, USA
Pediatrics 109:E39. 2002..To compare the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of once-daily administration of modified-release methylphenidate (MPH MR) with placebo in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in the Losartan Intervention For Endpoint reduction in hypertension study (LIFE): a randomised trial against atenololBjorn Dahlof
Sahlgrenska University Hospital Ostra, Gothenburg, Swede
Lancet 359:995-1003. 2002..We aimed to establish whether selective blocking of angiotensin II improves LVH beyond reducing blood pressure and, consequently, reduces cardiovascular morbidity and death...
- Therapeutic effect of the combination of etanercept and methotrexate compared with each treatment alone in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: double-blind randomised controlled trialLars Klareskog
Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institute Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm 17176, Sweden
Lancet 363:675-81. 2004..We aimed to assess combination treatment with etanercept and methotrexate versus the monotherapies in patients with rheumatoid arthritis...
- Effectiveness of antipsychotic drugs in patients with chronic schizophreniaJeffrey A Lieberman
Department of Psychiatry, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1209-23. 2005..We compared a first-generation antipsychotic, perphenazine, with several newer drugs in a double-blind study...
- Recombinant human erythropoietin in the treatment of acute ischemic strokeHannelore Ehrenreich
Division of Clinical Neuroscience, Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine, Gottingen, Germany
Stroke 40:e647-56. 2009..Accordingly, the double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized German Multicenter EPO Stroke Trial (Phase II/III; ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00604630) was designed to evaluate efficacy and safety of EPO in stroke...
- n-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular events after myocardial infarctionDaan Kromhout
Division of Human Nutrition, Wageningen University, Wageningen, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 363:2015-26. 2010....
- Tiotropium in combination with placebo, salmeterol, or fluticasone-salmeterol for treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized trialShawn D Aaron
The Ottawa Health Research Institute and University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 146:545-55. 2007..Treatment of moderate or severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) with combinations of inhaled corticosteroids, long-acting beta-agonists, and long-acting anticholinergic bronchodilators is common but unstudied...
- Treatment of restless legs syndrome with gabapentin: a double-blind, cross-over studyD Garcia-Borreguero
Department of Neurology, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Madrid, Spain
Neurology 59:1573-9. 2002..To assess the effects of gabapentin on sensory and motor symptoms in patients with restless legs syndrome (RLS)...
- Treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus by inhibition of T cell costimulation with anti-CD154: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialKenneth C Kalunian
University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, USA
Arthritis Rheum 46:3251-8. 2002..To evaluate the safety and efficacy of a humanized monoclonal antibody against CD154 (IDEC-131) in patients with active systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- Peptide YY3-36 and glucagon-like peptide-17-36 inhibit food intake additivelyNicola M Neary
Department of Metabolic Medicine, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College London, UK
Endocrinology 146:5120-7. 2005..Thus, PYY(3-36) and GLP-1(7-36), cosecreted after a meal, may inhibit food intake additively...
- Prucalopride, a systemic enterokinetic, for the treatment of constipationA V Emmanuel
St Mark s Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1347-56. 2002..Laxatives are frequently ineffective in treating constipation. An alternative therapeutic approach is to target serotonin-4 receptors, which are involved in initiating peristalsis...
- Iron supplementation for unexplained fatigue in non-anaemic women: double blind randomised placebo controlled trialF Verdon
General Practice Unit, University of Lausanne, Rue du Bugnon 44, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
BMJ 326:1124. 2003..To determine the subjective response to iron therapy in non-anaemic women with unexplained fatigue...
- Vitamin E supplementation and in vivo immune response in healthy elderly subjects. A randomized controlled trialS N Meydani
Nutritional Immunology Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
JAMA 277:1380-6. 1997..To determine whether long-term supplementation with vitamin E enhances in vivo, clinically relevant measures of cell-mediated immunity in healthy elderly subjects...
- Folate for depressive disorders: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsMatthew J Taylor
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford, UK
J Psychopharmacol 18:251-6. 2004..It is currently unclear if this is the case both for people with normal folate levels, and for those with folate deficiency...
- The effects of an oral multivitamin combination with calcium, magnesium, and zinc on psychological well-being in healthy young male volunteers: a double-blind placebo-controlled trialD Carroll
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 150:220-5. 2000..Vitamin and mineral supplements may be associated with improved psychological status...
- Liraglutide, a once-daily human GLP-1 analogue, added to a sulphonylurea over 26 weeks produces greater improvements in glycaemic and weight control compared with adding rosiglitazone or placebo in subjects with Type 2 diabetes (LEAD-1 SU)M Marre
Service d Endocrinologie Diabétologie Nutrition, Groupe Hospitalier Bichat Claude Bernard, Paris, France
Diabet Med 26:268-78. 2009..To compare the effects of combining liraglutide (0.6, 1.2 or 1.8 mg/day) or rosiglitazone 4 mg/day (all n >or= 228) or placebo (n = 114) with glimepiride (2-4 mg/day) on glycaemic control, body weight and safety in Type 2 diabetes...
- Smoking reduction with oral nicotine inhalers: double blind, randomised clinical trial of efficacy and safetyC T Bolliger
Respiratory Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, 4031 Basle, Switzerland
BMJ 321:329-33. 2000..To determine whether use of an oral nicotine inhaler can result in long term reduction in smoking and whether concomitant use of nicotine replacement and smoking is safe...
- IL-6 receptor inhibition with tocilizumab improves treatment outcomes in patients with rheumatoid arthritis refractory to anti-tumour necrosis factor biologicals: results from a 24-week multicentre randomised placebo-controlled trialP Emery
Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 67:1516-23. 2008..The phase III RADIATE study examined the efficacy and safety of tocilizumab, an anti-IL-6 receptor monoclonal antibody in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) refractory to tumour necrosis factor (TNF) antagonist therapy...
- Efficacy and safety of a new Botulinum Toxin Type A free of complexing proteins in the treatment of blepharospasmP Roggenkämper
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Wiesbaden, Germany
J Neural Transm 113:303-12. 2006..These data show that NT 201* is an effective and safe treatment for patients suffering from blepharospasm...
- Colon microflora in infants fed formula with galacto- and fructo-oligosaccharides: more like breast-fed infantsJan Knol
Numico Research B V, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:36-42. 2005....
- Frovatriptan succinate, a 5-HT1B/1D receptor agonist for migraineE A Balbisi
St John s University, College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, and Ambulatory Medicine, Queens Hospital Center, Jamaica, New York 11439, USA
Int J Clin Pract 58:695-705. 2004..Given the fact that patient response to serotonin agonists is individualised, and selecting an effective agent may involve trial and error, frovatriptan is a welcome alternative in the acute management of migraine...
- Recombinant NY-ESO-1 protein with ISCOMATRIX adjuvant induces broad integrated antibody and CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cell responses in humansIan D Davis
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, Melbourne 3084, Australia
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:10697-702. 2004..In an unplanned analysis, vaccinated patients appeared to have superior clinical outcomes to those treated with placebo or protein alone. The vaccine is safe and highly potent immunologically...
- BUILD-1: a randomized placebo-controlled trial of bosentan in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisTalmadge E King
Department of Medicine, UCSF, 505 Parnassus Avenue, Room M994, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:75-81. 2008..Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is a progressive, fatal lung disease lacking effective treatment...
- Atorvastatin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus undergoing hemodialysisChristoph Wanner
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
N Engl J Med 353:238-48. 2005..However, the benefit of statins in such patients receiving hemodialysis, who are at high risk for cardiovascular disease and death, has not been examined...
- Targeted anticytokine therapy in patients with chronic heart failure: results of the Randomized Etanercept Worldwide Evaluation (RENEWAL)Douglas L Mann
Winters Center for Heart Failure Research, Baylor College of Medicine and the Houston VA, Houston, Tex 77030, USA
Circulation 109:1594-602. 2004..Studies in experimental models and preliminary clinical experience suggested a possible therapeutic role for the soluble tumor necrosis factor antagonist etanercept in heart failure...
- Characteristics of migraine attacks and responses to almotriptan treatment: a comparison of menstrually related and nonmenstrually related migrainesMerle L Diamond
Diamond Headache Clinic, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Headache 48:248-58. 2008..To compare the clinical characteristics of menstrually related migraines (MRMs) and nonmenstrually related migraines (nonMRMs) and to investigate the efficacy of almotriptan in the treatment of these migraine subtypes...
- Ineffectiveness of probiotics in preventing recurrence after curative resection for Crohn's disease: a randomised controlled trial with Lactobacillus GGC Prantera
Division of Gastroenterology, Azienda Ospedaliera S Camillo Forlanini, Rome, Italy
Gut 51:405-9. 2002..The aim of this randomised placebo controlled study was to determine if Lactobacillus GG, given by mouth for one year, could prevent Crohn's recurrent lesions after surgery or to reduce their severity...
- Effectiveness of fluticasone propionate and salmeterol combination delivered via the Diskus device in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDonald A Mahler
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, 1 Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756 0001, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1084-91. 2002..We conclude that FSC improved lung function and reduced the severity of dyspnea compared with individual components and placebo...
- Efficacy of modified-release versus standard prednisone to reduce duration of morning stiffness of the joints in rheumatoid arthritis (CAPRA-1): a double-blind, randomised controlled trialFrank Buttgereit
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Lancet 371:205-14. 2008..We aimed to assess the efficacy and safety of a new modified-release prednisone tablet compared with immediate-release prednisone in patients with this disease...
- Randomized double-blind factorial trial of three treatments to reduce the prevalence of precancerous gastric lesionsWei Cheng You
Peking University School of Oncology, Beijing Cancer Hospital and Beijing Institute for Cancer Research, Beijing, China
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:974-83. 2006..We conducted a randomized trial to test the effects of one-time H. pylori treatment and long-term vitamin or garlic supplements in reducing the prevalence of advanced precancerous gastric lesions...
- Inhibition of tumour necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin 6 production by mononuclear cells following dietary fish-oil supplementation in healthy men and response to antioxidant co-supplementationTimothy Trebble
The Institute of Human Nutrition, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, Tremona Road, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Br J Nutr 90:405-12. 2003..Thus, increased dietary n-3 PUFA consumption resulted in defined but contrasting patterns of modulation of phospholipid fatty acid composition and PBMC function, which were further influenced by antioxidant intake...
- A trial of a 9-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children with and those without HIV infectionKeith P Klugman
Medical Research Council, University of the Witwatersrand, National Institute for Communicable Diseases, Respiratory and Meningeal Pathogens Research Unit, Johannesburg, South Africa
N Engl J Med 349:1341-8. 2003..We evaluated the efficacy of a 9-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in a randomized, double-blind study in Soweto, South Africa...
- Tryptophan depletion impairs stimulus-reward learning while methylphenidate disrupts attentional control in healthy young adults: implications for the monoaminergic basis of impulsive behaviourR D Rogers
Departments of Experimental Psychology and Psychiatry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 146:482-91. 1999..However, little research has addressed the specific cognitive consequences of changed monoaminergic function that might contribute to the production of impulsive behaviour...
- Serotonergic dysfunction in schizophrenia assessed by the loudness dependence measure of primary auditory cortex evoked activityGeorg Juckel
Department of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Schizophr Res 64:115-24. 2003..These results suggest that the loudness dependence of primary auditory cortex evoked activity is well suitable to assess serotonergic dysfunction in schizophrenia...
- Marked decrease in sleepiness in patients with sleep apnea by etanercept, a tumor necrosis factor-alpha antagonistA N Vgontzas
Department of Psychiatry H073, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:4409-13. 2004..9 vs. 3.1 min), suggests that proinflammatory cytokines contribute to the pathogenesis of OSA/sleepiness...
- Open-label, multicenter, phase 3 extension study of the safety and efficacy of donepezil in patients with Alzheimer diseaseR S Doody
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, 6550 Fannin Street, Suite 1801, Houston, TX 77030-3498, USA
Arch Neurol 58:427-33. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Donepezil is an effective and safe drug for the long-term symptomatic treatment of mild to moderately severe AD for up to 144 weeks (2.8 years), and sustained treatment may confer some advantages...
- Renoprotective effect of the angiotensin-receptor antagonist irbesartan in patients with nephropathy due to type 2 diabetesE J Lewis
Department of Medicine, Rush-Presbyterian-St Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
N Engl J Med 345:851-60. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: The angiotensin-II-receptor blocker irbesartan is effective in protecting against the progression of nephropathy due to type 2 diabetes. This protection is independent of the reduction in blood pressure it causes...
- The efficacy and safety of fluticasone propionate (250 microg)/salmeterol (50 microg) combined in the Diskus inhaler for the treatment of COPDNicola A Hanania
Baylor College of Medicine, Pulmonary Critical Care, Ben Taub General Hospital, 1504 Taub Loop, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Chest 124:834-43. 2003....
- Clinical effects of Abeta immunization (AN1792) in patients with AD in an interrupted trialS Gilman
Department of Neurology, University of Michigan, 300 N Ingalls 3D15, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0489, USA
Neurology 64:1553-62. 2005..The authors report the results of a phase IIa immunotherapy trial of AN1792(QS-21) in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer disease (AD) that was interrupted because of meningoencephalitis in 6% of immunized patients...
- A randomized trial of low-dose aspirin in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in womenPaul M Ridker
Division of Preventive Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA
N Engl J Med 352:1293-304. 2005..Randomized trials have shown that low-dose aspirin decreases the risk of a first myocardial infarction in men, with little effect on the risk of ischemic stroke. There are few similar data in women...
- Gabapentin in neuropathic pain syndromes: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialM G Serpell
University Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Gartnavel General Hospital, 30 Shelly Court, G12 0YN, Scotland, Glasgow, UK
Pain 99:557-66. 2002..This study shows that gabapentin reduces pain and improves some quality-of-life measures in patients with a wide range of neuropathic pain syndromes...
- Prevention of exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with tiotropium, a once-daily inhaled anticholinergic bronchodilator: a randomized trialDennis E Niewoehner
Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Ann Intern Med 143:317-26. 2005..Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) frequently develop exacerbations, leading to major clinical and health resource use ramifications...
- Zinc and iron supplementation and malaria, diarrhea, and respiratory infections in children in the Peruvian AmazonStephanie A Richard
Center for Human Nutrition, and Department of International Health, The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:126-32. 2006..vivax malaria-endemic areas, although local endemicity and species-specific prevalence should be considered carefully when designing any supplementation program involving iron in a malaria-endemic area...
- PRO 2000 gel inhibits HIV and herpes simplex virus infection following vaginal application: a double-blind placebo-controlled trialMarla J Keller
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Infect Dis 193:27-35. 2006..This study was designed to determine the antiviral activity in cervicovaginal lavage (CVL) samples collected after intravaginal application of 0.5% PRO 2000 gel (Indevus)...
- Spirometric correlates of improvement in exercise performance after anticholinergic therapy in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseD E O'Donnell
Respiratory Investigation Unit, Departments of Medicine and Community Health and Epidemiology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160:542-9. 1999..IC should be used in conjunction with FEV(1) when evaluating therapeutic responses in COPD...
- A randomized and controlled Phase 1 study of the safety and immunogenicity of the AMA1-C1/Alhydrogel + CPG 7909 vaccine for Plasmodium falciparum malaria in semi-immune Malian adultsIssaka Sagara
Malaria Research and Training Center, Faculty of Medicine Pharmacy and Dentistry, BP 1805, Bamako, University of Bamako, Mali
Vaccine 27:7292-8. 2009..05). This is the first use of the novel adjuvant CPG 7909 in a malaria-exposed population...
- Delayed-onset hypothesis of antipsychotic action: a hypothesis tested and rejectedOfer Agid
Schizophrenia Program and the PET Centre, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:1228-35. 2003..To understand the mechanism of action of antipsychotic drugs, it is critical to recognize the time course over which these medications take effect. Current models of antipsychotic action presume a "delayed onset" of action...
- Adalimumab for maintenance treatment of Crohn's disease: results of the CLASSIC II trialW J Sandborn
Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Gut 56:1232-9. 2007..Adalimumab induced clinical remission after four weeks in patients with active Crohn's disease in the CLASSIC I trial...
- Association of a corticotropin-releasing hormone receptor 1 haplotype and antidepressant treatment response in Mexican-AmericansJ Licinio
Center for Pharmacogenomics and Clinical Pharmacology, Neuropsychiatric Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1761, USA
Mol Psychiatry 9:1075-82. 2004..These findings also suggest that variations in the CRHR1 gene may affect response to CRHR1 agonists or antagonists. All data are deposited in www.pharmgkb.org...
- Diclofenac sodium gel in patients with primary hand osteoarthritis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialRoy D Altman
Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
J Rheumatol 36:1991-9. 2009..To measure the efficacy and safety of diclofenac sodium gel in patients with primary hand osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Intranasal mupirocin to prevent postoperative Staphylococcus aureus infectionsTrish M Perl
University of Iowa Colleges of Medicine and Public Health, Iowa City, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1871-7. 2002..Treatment with mupirocin ointment can reduce the rate of nasal carriage and may prevent postoperative S. aureus infections...
- The efficacy and safety of combination salmeterol (50 microg)/fluticasone propionate (500 microg) inhalation twice daily via accuhaler in Chinese patients with COPDJin ping Zheng
Guangzhou Institute of Respiratory Disease, First Affiliated Hospital of Guangzhou Medical College, Guangzhou 510120, People s Republic of China
Chest 132:1756-63. 2007....
- Impact of preventing exacerbations on deterioration of health status in COPDS Spencer
Dept of Health and Social Care, Brunel University, Isleworth, UK
Eur Respir J 23:698-702. 2004..Statistical modelling showed the beneficial effect of fluticasone propionate on deterioration in health status to be largely due to its effect on exacerbation frequency...
- Individual capacity differences predict working memory performance and prefrontal activity following dopamine receptor stimulationSasha E B Gibbs
University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci 5:212-21. 2005..Individual differences in PFC dopamine receptor concentration may thus underlie the behavioral effects of dopamine stimulation on working memory function...
- Mortality and cardiovascular events in patients treated with homocysteine-lowering B vitamins after coronary angiography: a randomized controlled trialMarta Ebbing
Department of Heart Disease, Haukeland University Hospital, Jonas Liesvei 65, 5021 Bergen, Norway
JAMA 300:795-804. 2008..Observational studies have reported associations between circulating total homocysteine concentration and risk of cardiovascular disease. Oral administration of folic acid and vitamin B(12) can lower plasma total homocysteine levels...
- Impact of micronutrient supplementation during pregnancy on birth weight, duration of gestation, and perinatal mortality in rural western China: double blind cluster randomised controlled trialLingxia Zeng
Department of Public Health, Xi an Jiaotong University College of Medicine, PO Box 46, Xi an, Shaanxi 710061, China
BMJ 337:a2001. 2008..To examine the impact of antenatal supplementation with multiple micronutrients or iron and folic acid compared with folic acid alone on birth weight, duration of gestation, and maternal haemoglobin concentration in the third trimester...
- Prevention of symptomatic seasonal influenza in 2005-2006 by inactivated and live attenuated vaccinesSuzanne E Ohmit
University of Michigan School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Infect Dis 198:312-7. 2008....
- Reduced hospital stay, morphine consumption, and pain intensity with local infiltration analgesia after unicompartmental knee arthroplastyPer Essving
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Orthop 80:213-9. 2009..The degree of postoperative pain is usually moderate to severe following knee arthroplasty. We investigated the efficacy of local administration of analgesics into the operating area, both intraoperatively and postoperatively...
- Glucocorticoids reduce phobic fear in humansLeila M Soravia
Institute of Psychology, Department of Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, University of Zurich, Zurichbergstrasse 43, CH 8044 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:5585-90. 2006..Cortisol treatment did not reduce general, phobia-unrelated anxiety. In conclusion, the present findings in two distinct types of phobias indicate that glucocorticoid administration reduces phobic fear...
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of lumefantrine (benflumetol) in acute falciparum malariaF Ezzet
Novartis Pharma AG, Basel, Switzerland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:697-704. 2000..The high cure rates with the two six-dose regimens resulted from increased AUC and increased time at which lumefantrine concentrations were above the in vivo MIC...
- Long-term stimulant treatment of children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialC Gillberg
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Goteborg, Sweden
Arch Gen Psychiatry 54:857-64. 1997..We wanted to study the effects of amphetamine on symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) over a longer period than has been reported in previous studies of central stimulants in this condition...
- EMBRYONIC DOPAMINE CELL IMPLANTS FOR PARKINSONISMCurt Freed; Fiscal Year: 2005..Brains will be stained with H+E and immunostained for tyrosine hydroxylase and B and T cell markers. Stereologically corrected counts of TH-positive neurons will be determined. ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) Data Coordinating CenterWilliam Vollmer; Fiscal Year: 2007..Little research has been done on methods to prevent tooth decay in adults. This study would test how well a lozenge to be taken several times a day works to prevent tooth decay in adults who are prone to tooth decay. ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT): UAB Clinical CenterGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2007..Little research has been done on methods to prevent tooth decay in adults. This study would test how well a lozenge to be taken several times a day works to prevent tooth decay in adults who are prone to tooth decay. ..
- Cholestasis Prevention: Efficacy of IV Fish OilMark Puder; Fiscal Year: 2009..Use of PN with fish oil base emulsion may prevent liver dysfunction resulting generally in better heath outcomes for these children. ..
- PREVENTION OF ULCER HEMORRHAGE BY H PYLORI ERADICATIONDennis Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- PREVENTION OF ULCER HEMORRHAGE BY H PYLORI ERADICATIONDennis Jensen; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- EMBRYONIC DOPAMINE CELL IMPLANTS FOR PARKINSONISMCurt Freed; Fiscal Year: 2001..Brains will be stained with H+E and immunostained for tyrosine hydroxylase and B and T cell markers. Stereologically corrected counts of TH-positive neurons will be determined. ..
- EMBRYONIC DOPAMINE CELL IMPLANTS FOR PARKINSONISMCurt Freed; Fiscal Year: 2000..Brains will be stained with H+E and immunostained for tyrosine hydroxylase and B and T cell markers. Stereologically corrected counts of TH-positive neurons will be determined. ..
- GROUP B STREP TYPE II CONJUGATE VACCINES WITH ALUMDeborah Molrine; Fiscal Year: 2000..2) To determine the effect of an adjuvant, alum, on the immunogenicity of monovalent GBS type III polysaccharide-tetanus toxoid conjugate vaccines. ..
- Prevention of Vitamin D Deficiency in Breastfed InfantsEkhard Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 2009..The study has considerable public health importance because of the importance of preventing vitamin D deficiency not only in its severe form, rickets, but also in its milder forms. ..
- Prevention of Vitamin D Deficiency in Breastfed InfantsEkhard Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 2006..The study has considerable public health importance because of the importance of preventing vitamin D deficiency not only in its severe form, rickets, but also in its milder forms. ..
- Prevention of Vitamin D Deficiency in Breastfed InfantsEkhard Ziegler; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study has considerable public health importance because of the importance of preventing vitamin D deficiency not only in its severe form, rickets, but also in its milder forms. ..
- Temple University Gastroparesis Clinical CenterHenry Parkman; Fiscal Year: 2007..The protocols use novel diagnostic tests to better define the pathophysiology of gastroparesis. These studies will also better define the disease course of patients with gastroparesis. ..
- Temple University Gastroparesis Clinical CenterHenry Parkman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The protocols use novel diagnostic tests to better define the pathophysiology of gastroparesis. These studies will also better define the disease course of patients with gastroparesis ..
- Temple University Gastroparesis Clinical CenterHENRY PAUL PARKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..The protocols use novel diagnostic tests to better define the pathophysiology of gastroparesis. These studies will also better define the disease course of patients with gastroparesis ..
- Temple University Gastroparesis Clinical CenterHenry Parkman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The protocols use novel diagnostic tests to better define the pathophysiology of gastroparesis. These studies will also better define the disease course of patients with gastroparesis ..
- Temple University Gastroparesis Clinical CenterHenry Parkman; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Temple University Gastroparesis Clinical CenterHenry Parkman; Fiscal Year: 2007
- A MUSCARINIC HYPOTHESIS FOR AFFECTIVE ILLNESSJOHN GILLIN; Fiscal Year: 1990..Finally, we will explore the anatomic and muscarinic receptor subtype (Ml or M2) specificity for REM induction in cats...
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--UNC Clinical CenterDaniel Shugars; Fiscal Year: 2006..Little research has been done on methods to prevent tooth decay in adults. This study would test how well a lozenge to be taken several times a day works to prevent tooth decay in adults who are prone to tooth decay. ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--UNC Clinical CenterDaniel Shugars; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--UNC Clinical CenterDaniel A Shugars; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--UNC Clinical CenterDaniel Shugars; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) UTHSC San Antonio Clinical CenterJohn Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT): UAB Clinical CenterGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) UTHSC San Antonio Clinical CenterBennett Amaechi; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT): UAB Clinical CenterGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT): UAB Clinical CenterGregg H Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT): UAB Clinical CenterGREGG GILBERT; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) UTHSC San Antonio Clinical CenterBennett Tochukwu Amaechi; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) UTHSC San Antonio Clinical CenterBennett Amaechi; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Colon Cancer Prevention Program Project GrantM Lance; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Colon Cancer Prevention Program Project GrantM Lance; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Colon Cancer Prevention Program Project GrantM Lance; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- DOUBLE-BLIND BOTULINUM TOXIN FOR SPASMODIC DYSPHONIAMitchell Brin; Fiscal Year: 1990....
- Colon Cancer Prevention Program Project GrantM Lance; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--Study Chair applicationJames D Bader; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) Data Coordinating CenterWILLIAM MARION VOLLMER; Fiscal Year: 2010
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) Data Coordinating CenterWilliam Vollmer; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--Study Chair applicationJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Studies on Serial Phlebotomy in Voluntary Blood DonorsStuart Katz; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Studies on Serial Phlebotomy in Voluntary Blood DonorsStuart D Katz; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ORAL L GLUTAMINE THERAPY FOR SICKLE CELL ANEMIAYutaka Niihara; Fiscal Year: 2000..The pilot data are promising. This project will provide the pathophysiologic basis for the use of L-glutamine and will evaluate the efficacy of L-glutamine in the therapy of sickle cell anemia. ..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) Data Coordinating CenterWILLIAM MARION VOLLMER; Fiscal Year: 2011
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--Study Chair applicationJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2006
- ORAL L GLUTAMINE THERAPY FOR SICKLE CELL ANEMIAYutaka Niihara; Fiscal Year: 1999..The pilot data are promising. This project will provide the pathophysiologic basis for the use of L-glutamine and will evaluate the efficacy of L-glutamine in the therapy of sickle cell anemia. ..
- ORAL L GLUTAMINE THERAPY FOR SICKLE CELL ANEMIAYutaka Niihara; Fiscal Year: 2001..The pilot data are promising. This project will provide the pathophysiologic basis for the use of L-glutamine and will evaluate the efficacy of L-glutamine in the therapy of sickle cell anemia. ..
- Role of Mineralocorticoid Receptor in Diabetic Cardiovascular DiseaseGAIL ADLER; Fiscal Year: 2009..If successful, this research will provide doctors with information about a new way to treat individuals with diabetes who have injuries to their blood vessels, heart and kidneys. ..
- PRE-HOSPITAL TREATMENT OF STATUS EPILEPTICUSDaniel Lowenstein; Fiscal Year: 1993..Univariate and multivariate statistical comparisons will be used to determine whether pre-hospital therapy has a significant impact on the management and outcome of patients during transport and subsequent hospitalization...
- DOUBLE-BLIND STUDY FOR LONG-TERM OF ULCER HEMORRHAGEDennis Jensen; Fiscal Year: 1992..Pylori eradication for patients with an ulcer hemorrhage will be defined, and 3) these outcomes will have profound implications for the management of a large group of patients worldwide with peptic ulcer disease...
- Role of Mineralocorticoid Receptor in Diabetic Cardiovascular DiseaseGAIL KURR ADLER; Fiscal Year: 2010..If successful, this research will provide doctors with information about a new way to treat individuals with diabetes who have injuries to their blood vessels, heart and kidneys. ..
- CHEMOPREVENTION IN HUMAN BRONCHIAL METAPLASIA/DYSPLASIAWAUN HONG; Fiscal Year: 1990..This study will provide the information necessary to develop a rational approach for premalignant squamous metaplasia/dysplasia and to direct the future development of chemoprevention in lung cancer...
- PHARMACOTHERAPY OF CUE INDUCED COCAINE CRAVINGS Berger; Fiscal Year: 1999..This will provide the basis for a more definitive clinical trial of the relationship between cue-induced cocaine craving and relapse. ..
- Milwaukee Regional Clinical CenterTHOMAS AUFDERHEIDE; Fiscal Year: 2007..Combining clinical and basic science, this translational research study will have significant impact by addressing this important national healthcare issue. ..
- Milwaukee Regional Clinical CenterTHOMAS AUFDERHEIDE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Combining clinical and basic science, this translational research study will have significant impact by addressing this important national healthcare issue. ..
- Milwaukee Regional Clinical CenterTHOMAS AUFDERHEIDE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Combining clinical and basic science, this translational research study will have significant impact by addressing this important national healthcare issue. ..
- Milwaukee Regional Clinical CenterTHOMAS AUFDERHEIDE; Fiscal Year: 2005
- PHARMACOTHERAPY OF CUE INDUCED COCAINE CRAVINGS Berger; Fiscal Year: 2000..This will provide the basis for a more definitive clinical trial of the relationship between cue-induced cocaine craving and relapse. ..
- Oral YM087 in euvolemic or hypervolemic hyponatremiaMarc Thibonnier; Fiscal Year: 2000..abstract_text> ..
- Innovative intervention for healing of diabetic ulcersJoyce Stechmiller; Fiscal Year: 2005..Data will be analyzed using multivariate methods. Translating advances in the bio molecular and genetic basis of diabetes and diabetic wound healing is needed to improve nursing care and quality of life. ..
- PHARMACOLOGY & ANTIVIRAL EFFECT OF DS-POLYNUCLEOTIDESArnold Freeman; Fiscal Year: 1980..3) We also propose to develop a thiolated analog of Poly I:C for human testing which appears to avoid the hyporesponsive state following Poly I:C and thus allow the use of multiple doses of thiolated Poly I:C during a viral illness. ..
- Engineered Spores as Fluorogenic Biological Indicators for Sterility TestingBoris Rotman; Fiscal Year: 2009..To provide more rapid sterility assurance, BCR Diagnostics has engineered unique living microorganisms that promptly (less than 30 min) send fluorescent light signals when the sterilization process is inadequate. ..
- CLOZAPINE RESPONSE AND BIOGENIC AMINES IN SCHIZOPHRENIAAlan Green; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- BLOOD PRESSURE EFECTS OF BEHAVIORAL STRESS AND SODIUMJennifer Haythornthwaite; Fiscal Year: 1993..Subjects will be randomly assigned to receive potassium supplemental sodium chloride tablets. It is expected that the concurrent high potassium intake will blunt the NaCl x STRESS blood pressure response...
- COLON CANCER PREVENTION PROGRAM PROJECTDavid Alberts; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- COLON CANCER PREVENTION PROGRAM PROJECTDavid Alberts; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- COLON CANCER PREVENTION PROGRAM PROJECTDavid Alberts; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Aerosolized hyaluronic acid as a treatment for COPDGerard Turino; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aerosolized HA has the potential to become the first effective therapeutic product that alters the degenerative course of emphysema by preserving-and possibly even restoring-lung function. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT) Data Coordinating CenterWilliam Vollmer; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Xylitol Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT)--Study Chair applicationJames Bader; Fiscal Year: 2009
- RETINIODS AND INTERMEDIATE BIOMARKERS FOR CIN I AND IIMack Ruffin; Fiscal Year: 1999..The relative predictive ability of the markers will be assessed using multiple logistic regression along with other potential predictive variables including the expression of RAR and/or RXR. ..