- A novel foam vehicle for delivery of topical corticosteroids
Center for Skin Biology, Connetics Corp, Palo Alto, California 94303, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:S26-38. 2005
..The latter mechanism reflects a hydration-dependent process, which may result in comparatively slower drug permeation...
- Pharmacokinetic analysis of capsaicin after topical administration of a high-concentration capsaicin patch to patients with peripheral neuropathic pain
NeurogesX, Inc, San Mateo, California 94404, USA
Ther Drug Monit 31:502-10. 2009
..The low systemic exposure and very rapid elimination half-life of capsaicin after NGX-4010 administration are unlikely to result in systemic effects and support the overall safety profile of this investigational cutaneous patch...
- Efficacy and safety of a topical diclofenac solution (pennsaid) in the treatment of primary osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, double-blind, vehicle-controlled clinical trial
Sanford H Roth
Arizona Research and Education, Phoenix, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:2017-23. 2004
..CONCLUSION: Topical diclofenac is effective in the treatment of the symptoms of primary OA of the knee, with only minor local irritation and no significant systemic adverse events...
- Effect of a topical diclofenac solution for relieving symptoms of primary osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled trial
Arthur A M Bookman
Dimethaid Health Care Ltd, 1405 Denison Street, Markham, Ontario L3R 5V2, Canada
CMAJ 171:333-8. 2004
..INTERPRETATION: This topical diclofenac solution can provide safe, site-specific treatment for osteoarthritic pain, with only minor local skin irritation and minimal systemic side effects...
- Lipid nanoparticles for improved topical application of drugs for skin diseases
Institut fur Pharmazie, Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, der Freien Universität Berlin, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 59:427-43. 2007
..A special focus is upon the interactions of active ingredients and the lipid matrix as well as the quantification of dermal penetration...
- Equivalence study of a topical diclofenac solution (pennsaid) compared with oral diclofenac in symptomatic treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled trial
Peter S Tugwell
Centre for Global Health, Institute of Population Health, Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 31:2002-12. 2004
- Influence of combined intravenous and topical antibiotic prophylaxis on the incidence of infections, organ dysfunctions, and mortality in critically ill surgical patients: a prospective, stratified, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical tr
Wolfgang A Krueger
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, ,
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1029-37. 2002
..496-1.046). Surveillance cultures from tracheobronchial, oropharyngeal, and gastric secretions and from rectal swabs did not show any evidence for the selection of resistant microorganisms in the patients receiving prophylaxis...
- Lipid nanoparticles for skin penetration enhancement-correlation to drug localization within the particle matrix as determined by fluorescence and parelectric spectroscopy
S Lombardi Borgia
, , Germany
J Control Release 110:151-63. 2005
..Therefore, drug targeting appears to be more strictly related to the mode of interaction of drug and particle than penetration enhancement...
- Concentrations of mitomycin C in rabbit corneal tissue and aqueous humor after topical administration
Department of Ophthalmology, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Cornea 25:S20-3. 2006
PURPOSE: To study the aqueous and corneal pharmacokinetics of mitomycin C (MMC) after single topical administration to the central cornea and to evaluate the effects of different concentrations and different application times on the ..
- Sustained ocular delivery of tilisolol to rabbits after topical administration or intravitreal injection of lipophilic prodrug incorporated in liposomes
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagasaki University, Japan
J Pharm Pharmacol 53:1157-61. 2001
..O-Palmitoyl tilisolol was completely incorporated in the liposomes. After topical administration of O-palmitoyl tilisolol liposomes to the rabbit eye, O-palmitoyl tilisolol rapidly disappeared from the ..
- Topical administration of Caroverine in somatic tinnitus treatment: proof-of-concept study
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Int Tinnitus J 11:34-7. 2005
..These results encouraged us to design consequential GCP-conform phase 2 and phase 3 studies...
- Intraocular pressure-lowering effects and safety of topical administration of a selective ROCK inhibitor, SNJ-1656, in healthy volunteers
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Kumamoto University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto, Japan
Arch Ophthalmol 126:309-15. 2008
To investigate the effects and safety of topical administration of an ophthalmic solution of a selective Rho-associated coiled coil-forming protein kinase (ROCK) inhibitor, SNJ-1656, 0.003% to 0.1%, in healthy male adult volunteers.
- Effects of topical administration of 12-methyl tetradecanoic acid (12-MTA) on the development of corneal angiogenesis
Institute for Eye Research, Level 4, Rupert Myers Building, Gate 14, Barker Street, Kensington, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Angiogenesis 10:47-54. 2007
..Our studies indicate that 12-MTA may provide clinically significant advantages over conventional steroids for the treatment of vessel growth in the cornea...
- Development of nitrosyl ruthenium complex-loaded lipid carriers for topical administration: improvement in skin stability and in nitric oxide release by visible light irradiation
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Ribeirão Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Av do Cafe S N, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
J Pharm Biomed Anal 53:843-51. 2010
..In this context, NRC-loaded lipid carriers were developed and characterized to further explore its topical administration for applications such as skin cancer treatment...
- Intraocular penetration of pyruvate following its topical administration in mice
K R Hegde
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 338:87-90. 2010
..However, with the view of the desirability of treating eye diseases by topical administration of the pharmacological agents, the present studies were conducted to determine the penetrability of ..
- Effectiveness of topical administration of opioids in palliative care: a systematic review
Frimley Park Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Frimley, Surrey, United Kingdom
J Pain Symptom Manage 37:913-7. 2009
..N-of-1 trials should be encouraged for specific clinical circumstances...
- Topical administration of nepafenac inhibits diabetes-induced retinal microvascular disease and underlying abnormalities of retinal metabolism and physiology
Timothy S Kern
Medicine and Ophthalmology, 434 Biomedical Research Building, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Diabetes 56:373-9. 2007
..Local inhibition of inflammatory pathways in the eye offers a novel therapeutic approach toward inhibiting the development of lesions of diabetic retinopathy...
- Keratitis, ulceration, and perforation associated with topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
A C Guidera
Department of Ophthalmology, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York, NY, USA
Ophthalmology 108:936-44. 2001
..Potential risk factors include conditions that predispose the patient to corneal melting, concurrent topical steroids, and epithelial keratopathy in the early postoperative period...
- A case of necrotizing fasciitis due to Streptococcus pneumoniae following topical administration of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Clin Infect Dis 35:775-6. 2002
- Lecithin microemulsions for the topical administration of ketoprofen: percutaneous adsorption through human skin and in vivo human skin tolerability
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Catania, Viale Andrea Doria 6, I-95125 Catania, Italy
Int J Pharm 244:21-31. 2002
..The human skin tolerability of various microemulsion formulations was evaluated on human volunteers. Microemulsions showed a good human skin tolerability...
- Medical therapies for non-melanoma skin cancer
Solano Clinical Research, Solano Dermatology Associates, Vallejo, California, USA
Clin Dermatol 22:183-8. 2004
..This preliminary information will expand to include more therapeutic options for NMSC in the future. Further clinical trials are needed to better elucidate possible alternative treatment strategies for NMSC...
- EMLA cream versus dorsal penile nerve block for postcircumcision analgesia in children
W Y Choi
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, Chai Wan, Hong Kong
Anesth Analg 96:396-9, table of contents. 2003
..We conclude that preoperative application of EMLA cream is an effective and simple method to produce postcircumcision analgesia with a very small incidence of adverse effects...
- Lipid nanoparticles for prolonged topical delivery: an in vitro and in vivo investigation
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Catania, Viale A Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
Int J Pharm 357:295-304. 2008
..Recently, lipid nanoparticles have shown a great potential as vehicle for topical administration of active substances, principally owing to the possible targeting effect and controlled release in ..
- Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia by oral decontamination: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study
D C Bergmans
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:382-8. 2001
..cross infection, prevention and control; respiration, artificial, adverse effects; antibiotics, administration and dosage infection control methods; pneumonia, etiology, prevention and control; intubation, intratracheal, adverse effects..
- Topical pimecrolimus for skin disease other than atopic dermatitis
Department of Dermatology, Academic Teaching Hospital Dresden-Friedrichstadt, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 7:1967-75. 2006
- Topical applications of chlorhexidine to the umbilical cord for prevention of omphalitis and neonatal mortality in southern Nepal: a community-based, cluster-randomised trial
Luke C Mullany
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21211, USA
Lancet 367:910-8. 2006
..Omphalitis contributes to neonatal morbidity and mortality in developing countries. Umbilical cord cleansing with antiseptics might reduce infection and mortality risk, but has not been rigorously investigated...
- Topical cyclosporine inhibits conjunctival epithelial apoptosis in experimental murine keratoconjunctivitis sicca
Ocular Surface Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cornea 24:80-5. 2005
..Inhibition of apoptosis appears to be a key mechanism for the therapeutic effect of CsA for KCS...
- Effects of topical administration of y-39983, a selective rho-associated protein kinase inhibitor, on ocular tissues in rabbits and monkeys
Research Laboratories, Senju Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Kobe, Osaka, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3216-22. 2007
..To elucidate the intraocular pressure (IOP)-lowering effects and associated characteristics of Y-39983, a selective Rho-associated coiled coil-forming protein kinase (ROCK) inhibitor derived from Y-27632, in animal eyes...
- Treatment of all basal cell carcinoma variants including large and high-risk lesions with 5% imiquimod cream: histological and clinical changes, outcome, and follow-up
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Federal University Teaching Hospital, Feldkirch, Austria
J Drugs Dermatol 6:507-13. 2007
..This early imiquimod response might have important implications for the final definition of potentially shorter imiquimod treatment periods...
- The development of Cutina lipogels and gel microemulsion for topical administration of fluconazole
H M El Laithy
Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
AAPS PharmSciTech 3:E35. 2002
..05). The antifungal activity of fluconazole showed the widest zone of inhibition with gel microemulsion. The gel microemulsion is an excellent vehicle for fluconazole topical drug delivery...
- Piroxicam nanoparticles for ocular delivery: physicochemical characterization and implementation in endotoxin-induced uveitis
Research Center for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
J Drug Target 15:407-16. 2007
..Upon these findings, we propose that the piroxicam:Eudragit RS100 nanosuspensions may be considered as an improved ocular delivery system for locally inhibition of inflammation...
- Topical administration of low-dose tenofovir disoproxil fumarate to protect infant macaques against multiple oral exposures of low doses of simian immunodeficiency virus
Koen K A Van Rompay
California National Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis, California 95616 8542, USA
J Infect Dis 186:1508-13. 2002
..In a subsequent study, 2 oral inoculations of 4 juvenile macaques with a mixture of tenofovir DF and SIVmac251 induced persistent infection. Topical administration of low doses of tenofovir DF did not protect against oral SIV infection.
- Repair of photoaged dermal matrix by topical application of a cosmetic 'antiageing' product
R E B Watson
Dermatological Sciences Research Group, The University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Br J Dermatol 158:472-7. 2008
..To date, little is known regarding the ability of over-the-counter 'antiageing' products to repair photoaged skin...
- Topical pranoprofen 0.1% is as effective anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent as diclofenac sodium 0.1% after strabismus surgery
Department of Ophthalmology, Ataturk University Faculty of Medicine, Erzurum, Turkey
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 23:280-3. 2007
..1% in reducing inflammation and pain after strabismus surgery. Pranoprofen could be used as a safe and effective anti-inflammatory alternative for the treatment of inflammation following strabismus surgery...
- Penetration of topically applied ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin into the aqueous humor and vitreous
Ilgaz Sagdic Yalvac
Department of Ophthalmology, Ankara Hospital, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:487-91. 2003
..3% and ofloxacin 0.3%, into the aqueous humor and vitreous and to relate these levels to the miminum inhibitory concentration (MIC(90)) for organisms associated with ocular bacterial infections...
- Nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) in cosmetic dermal products
R H Muller
Freie Universitat Berlin, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Biopharmaceutics and NutriCosmetics, Kelchstrasse 31, 12169 Berlin, Germany
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 59:522-30. 2007
..An overview of these products is provided including their special effects due to the lipid nanoparticles, lipids used for their production and incorporated cosmetic actives...
- Aqueous and vitreous concentrations following topical administration of 1% voriconazole in humans
G Atma Vemulakonda
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:18-22. 2008
To determine the penetration of 1% voriconazole solution into the aqueous and vitreous following topical administration.
- Eudragit RS100 nanosuspensions for the ophthalmic controlled delivery of ibuprofen
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita degli Studi di Catania, Citta Universitaria, Viale A Doria, 6 95125, Catania, Italy
Eur J Pharm Sci 16:53-61. 2002
..Drug levels in the aqueous humour were also higher after application of the nanosuspensions; moreover, IBU-loaded nanosuspensions did not show toxicity on ocular tissues...
- Topical application of antifibrinolytic drugs for on-pump cardiac surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Department of Anesthesia, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, 2 434 McLaughlin Wing, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5T 2S8
Can J Anaesth 56:202-12. 2009
..This systematic review aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of topical application of antifibrinolytic drugs to reduce postoperative bleeding and transfusion requirements in patients undergoing on-pump cardiac surgery...
- Penetration of chlorhexidine into human skin
T J Karpanen
Life and Health Sciences, Aston University, Aston Triangle B4 7ET, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3633-6. 2008
..This study lays the foundation for further research in adopting alternative strategies for enhanced skin antisepsis in clinical practice...
- Measuring the effects of topical moisturizers on changes in stratum corneum thickness, water gradients and hydration in vivo
J M Crowther
Procter and Gamble Technical Centres Ltd, Rusham Park, Whitehall Lane, Egham, Surrey, TW20 9NW, UK
Br J Dermatol 159:567-77. 2008
- Aqueous humor concentration of voriconazole after topical administration in rabbits
Christian K Vorwerk
Department of Ophthalmology, Otto von Guericke University, Leipziger Strasse 44, D 39120, Magdeburg, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:1179-83. 2008
..and Aspergillus spp. which are frequent causes of fungal keratitis depending on geographic location. We investigated the penetration of voriconazole through the cornea into the aqueous humor (AH) after topical administration.
- Evaluation of an eucalyptus oil containing topical drug delivery system for selected steroid hormones
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmaceutics, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Int J Pharm 328:142-51. 2007
..In addition, viscosity measurements were performed. They indicated an influence of the polymers and drugs on the viscosity in all formulations...
- Chronic hypertrophic acyclovir-resistant genital herpes treated with topical cidofovir and with topical foscarnet at recurrence in an HIV-positive man
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:887-9. 2006
- Oral versus topical NSAIDs in rheumatic diseases: a comparison
C A Heyneman
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Administrative Sciences, Idaho State University College of Pharmacy, Pocatello 83209, USA
Drugs 60:555-74. 2000
..b>Topical administration of NSAIDs offers the advantage of local, enhanced drug delivery to affected tissues with a reduced ..
- Dermatopharmacokinetic prediction of topical drug bioavailability in vivo
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Invest Dermatol 127:887-94. 2007
..Prediction and experiment agreed satisfactorily suggesting that objective and quantitative information, with which to characterize topical drug bioavailability, can be obtained from this approach...
- How effective is tetracaine 4% gel, before a peripherally inserted central catheter, in reducing procedural pain in infants: a randomized double-blind placebo controlled trial [ISRCTN75884221]
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
BMC Med 4:11. 2006
..The objective of this trial was to assess the safety and efficacy of tetracaine gel on the pain response of very low birth weight (VLBW) infants during insertion of a PICC...
- [Update in the treatment of herpes zoster]
Departamento de Dermatologia, Clinica Universitaria de Navarra, Facultad de Medicina, Spain
Actas Dermosifiliogr 97:103-14. 2006
..Finally, this review discusses treatment guidelines for special locations (cranial nerves) and different subpopulations (children, pregnant women, immunodepressed patients, etc)...
- Topical administration of a multi-targeted kinase inhibitor suppresses choroidal neovascularization and retinal edema
TargeGen, Inc, San Diego, California
J Cell Physiol 216:29-37. 2008
..These data suggest that TG100801 may provide a new topically applied treatment approach for ocular neovascularization and retinal edema...
- Liquid versus gel handrub formulation: a prospective intervention study
Infection Control Programme, University of Geneva Hospitals, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Crit Care 11:R52. 2007
..Alcohol-based handrub is the new standard for hand hygiene action worldwide and usually requires a system change for its successful introduction in routine care. Product acceptability by HCWs is a crucial step in this process...
- Therapeutic effect of topical administration of SN50, an inhibitor of nuclear factor-kappaB, in treatment of corneal alkali burns in mice
Department of Ophthalmology, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama, 641 0012, Japan
Am J Pathol 166:1393-403. 2005
We evaluated the therapeutic efficacy of topical administration of SN50, an inhibitor of nuclear factor-kappaB, in a corneal alkali burn model in mice...
- Niacinamide-containing facial moisturizer improves skin barrier and benefits subjects with rosacea
Zoe Diana Draelos
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Cutis 76:135-41. 2005
..Instruments provided objective measures of stratum corneum barrier function and hydration on the face...
- Effects of topical administration of an aldose reductase inhibitor on cataract formation in dogs fed a diet high in galactose
Peter F Kador
College of Pharmacy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, Therapeutic Vision Inc, 11778 Whitmore S, Omaha, NE 68142, USA
Am J Vet Res 67:1783-7. 2006
..This suggests that this ARI formulation may be beneficial in maintaining or improving functional vision in diabetic dogs with early lens opacities...
- Comparison of invasive and non-invasive tonometry in the mouse
Christy A Morris
Department of Ophthalmology, Hamilton Glaucoma Center, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0946, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:1094-9. 2006
..Despite these limitations, the rebound tonometer has a significant advantage over cannulation tonometry in that it permits longitudinal IOP measurement in conscious mice...
- Intravenous morphine and topical tetracaine for treatment of pain in [corrected] neonates undergoing central line placement
Department of Pharmacy, The Hospital for Sick Children, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
JAMA 295:793-800. 2006
..There is limited evidence of the analgesic effectiveness of opioid analgesia or topical anesthesia during central line placement in neonates, and there are no previous studies of their relative effectiveness...
- Symmetry of fellow-eye intraocular pressure responses to topical glaucoma medications
Department of Ophthalmology, West Virginia University Eye Institute, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
Ophthalmology 112:599-602. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to determine if this assumption is true...
- Topical estrogen protects against SIV vaginal transmission without evidence of systemic effect
Stephen M Smith
Saint Michael's Medical Center and The New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
AIDS 18:1637-43. 2004
..These results support the study of topical vaginal estriol in preventing HIV vaginal transmission in at-risk women...
- Topical ascorbic acid on photoaged skin. Clinical, topographical and ultrastructural evaluation: double-blind study vs. placebo
Philippe G Humbert
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Saint Jacques, University of Franche-Comt, , France
Exp Dermatol 12:237-44. 2003
- Transcutaneous absorption of oil in preterm babies--a pilot study
A R Fernandez
Department of Neonatology, L T M G Hospital and L T M M College, Sion, Mumbai, India
Indian Pediatr 42:255-8. 2005
..The post oil application serum sample of all the 12 babies showed the presence of marker fatty acids of Meadowfoam oil which indicates transcutaneous absorption of oil in preterm babies...
- Fluconazole distribution in rat dermis following intravenous and topical application: a microdialysis study
François Xavier Mathy
Unite de Pharmacie Galenique, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Av E Mounier 73, UCL 73 20, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Pharm Sci 94:770-80. 2005
..v.) and topical administration in the awake freely moving rat. Following i.v...
- Time course of 8-methoxypsoralen concentrations in skin and plasma after topical (bath and cream) and oral administration of 8-methoxypsoralen
Pharmazentrum Frankfurt, , Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 71:153-61. 2002
..6 or 1 mg/kg 8-methoxypsoralen were low (peak plasma concentration range, 1.7-6.6 ng/ml) compared with topical administration for which maximum concentrations of 200 to 520 ng/ml and 720 to 970 ng/ml were achieved with 0...
- Effect of barrier perturbation on cutaneous salicylic acid penetration in human skin: in vivo pharmacokinetics using microdialysis and non-invasive quantification of barrier function
Department of Dermatology, University of Copenhagen, Gentofte Hospital, Niels Andersensvej 65, DK 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Br J Dermatol 140:739-48. 1999
..The measured drug penetration was demonstrated to correlate with non-invasive quantification of barrier damage...
- Tacrolimus and pimecrolimus: from clever prokaryotes to inhibiting calcineurin and treating atopic dermatitis
Cutaneous Oncology Unit, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:228-41. 2002
..03% or 0.1% tacrolimus ointment for use in adults and children...
- Crusted scabies in an immunocompetent child: treatment with ivermectin
H B Gladstone
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 17:144-8. 2000
..We discuss the use of oral ivermectin for treatment of crusted scabies and the challenging comprehensive management needed for this socially stigmatizing condition...
- Solid lipid nanoparticles as carrier for sunscreens: in vitro release and in vivo skin penetration
S A Wissing
Department of Pharmaceutics, Biopharmaceutics and Biotechnology, The Free University of Berlin, Kelchstrasse 31, D-12169 Berlin, Germany
J Control Release 81:225-33. 2002
..The rate of release also depends upon the total concentration of oxybenzone in the formulation. In vitro-in vivo correlations could be made qualitatively...
- Comparison of clinical efficacy of topical tazarotene 0.1% cream with topical clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream in chronic plaque psoriasis: a double-blind, randomized, right-left comparison study
Joe S Angelo
Department of Dermatology, SLR and TC, Karigiri, Vellore, India
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 73:65. 2007
..No controlled data is available till date comparing topical tazarotene and clobetasol in Indian psoriatic patients...
- A double-blind study comparing the effect of glycerin and urea on dry, eczematous skin in atopic patients
ACO HUD AB, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Derm Venereol 82:45-7. 2002
..The study showed equal effects on skin dryness as judged by the patients and the dermatologist. In conclusion, a glycerin containing cream appears to be a suitable alternative to urea/sodium chloride in the treatment of atopic dry skin...
- Combination of topical garlic gel and betamethasone valerate cream in the treatment of localized alopecia areata: a double-blind randomized controlled study
Department of Dermatology, Booali Sina Hospital, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 73:29-32. 2007
..Alopecia areata is a recurrent, nonscarring type of hair loss. Different modalities of treatment have been used to induce hair re-growth...
- Metronidazole 0.75% gel vs. ketoconazole 2% cream in the treatment of facial seborrheic dermatitis: a randomized, double-blind study
Marmara University School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Altunizade, 34700 Uskudar Istanbul, Turkey
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 21:345-50. 2007
..Recently, two placebo-controlled studies have shown that topical metronidazole was effective in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis...
- [Comparison of activity of different topical corticosteroid creams and ointments using a vasoconstriction assay: superiority of hydrocortisone butyrate over hydrocortisone]
Hans Christian Korting
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie und Allergologie, Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 3:348-53. 2005
..Topical corticosteroids are the treatment of choice for numerous inflammatory or hyperproliferative skin diseases. The vasoconstriction assay is suitable to determinate corticosteroid activity...
- Tazarotene 0.1 percent cream plus clindamycin 1 percent gel versus tretinoin 0.025 percent gel plus clindamycin 1 percent gel in the treatment of facial acne vulgaris
Center for Dermatology and Laser Surgery, Sacramento, CA, USA
Dermatol Online J 13:1. 2007
..05). Both regimens were similarly well tolerated. In the treatment of facial acne vulgaris, tazarotene plus clindamycin offers significantly greater efficacy than tretinoin plus clindamycin and has comparable tolerability...
- A randomized study of the safety, absorption and efficacy of pimecrolimus cream 1% applied twice or four times daily in patients with atopic dermatitis
MedaPhase Inc, Newman, GA 30263, USA
J Dermatolog Treat 16:142-8. 2005
- Treatment of photoaged skin with a cream containing 0.05% isotretinoin and sunscreens
C E M Griffiths
Dermatology Centre, Hope Hospital, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
J Dermatolog Treat 16:79-86. 2005
..CONCLUSION: This study confirms that I+S improves the appearance of fine wrinkles associated with photoaged skin...
- Open-label trial of cyclosporine for vulvar lichen sclerosus
Emel Bulbul Baskan
Uludag University Medical Faculty, Department of Dermatology, Gorukle 16059, Bursa, Turkey
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:276-8. 2007
..Lichen sclerosus (LS) is a chronic inflammatory disease of skin and mucosal surfaces which is generally difficult to treat...
- Comparative evaluation of diclofenac and dexamethasone following strabismus surgery
Guru Nanak Eye Center, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India
J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 39:166-8. 2002
..001). CONCLUSIONS: The results of this study suggest that diclofenac may be used as an alternative to dexamethasone after strabismus surgery...
- Treatment of mild to moderate seborrhoeic dermatitis with MAS064D (Sebclair), a novel topical medical device: results of a pilot, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial
Institute of Dermatological Sciences, University of Milan, IRCCS Foundation, Policlinico, Mangiagalli, Italy
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:290-6. 2008
..MAS064D (Sebclair) is a novel steroid-free cream containing multiple active ingredients. Objective of this pilot study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of MAS064D in the treatment of mild to moderate SD of the face...
- 1% hydrocortisone ointment is an effective treatment of pruritus ani: a pilot randomized controlled crossover trial
Department of Surgery, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS, UK
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:1463-7. 2007
..There is paucity of evidence-based guidelines on the treatment of this condition. We examined whether 1% hydrocortisone ointment is an effective treatment for PA...
- Explorative immunohistochemical study to evaluate the addition of a topical corticosteroid in the early phase of alefacept treatment for psoriasis
H J Bovenschen
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P O Box 9101, Nijmegen, 6500 HB, The Netherlands
Arch Dermatol Res 298:457-63. 2007
..Once daily treatment with betamethasone dipropionate cream during the first 4 weeks of an intramuscular alefacept course did not provide substantial additional clinical and immunohistochemical improvement...
- Topical steroids under wet-wrap dressings in atopic dermatitis--a vehicle-controlled trial
Department of Dermatology and Allergy am Biederstein, Technical University of Munich, Germany
Dermatology 204:56-9. 2002
..The wet-wrap dressing technique has proved to be beneficial in cases of exacerbated atopic dermatitis (AD) skin lesions...
- Tazarotene versus tazarotene plus hydroquinone in the treatment of photodamaged facial skin: a multicenter, double-blind, randomized study
UCLA School of Medicine, Santa Monica, CA, USA
J Cosmet Laser Ther 8:121-7. 2006
..To compare the efficacy and tolerability of tazarotene plus hydroquinone versus tazarotene alone in the treatment of facial photodamage...
- Calcipotriol plus betamethasone dipropionate scalp formulation is effective and well tolerated in the treatment of scalp psoriasis: a phase II study
Department of Dermatology, Waterford Regional Hospital Ardkeen, Waterford, Ireland
Dermatology 217:107-13. 2008
..There is a need for more effective therapy for scalp psoriasis...
- Congenital hypertrophy of the lateral nail folds of the hallux: clinical features and follow-up of seven cases
B M Piraccini
Department of Dermatology, University of Bologna, Italy
Pediatr Dermatol 17:348-51. 2000
..In two patients surgical correction of the soft tissue abnormality was necessary due to painful nail ingrowth unresponsive to topical treatment...
- A double-blind, randomized quantitative comparison of calcitriol ointment and calcipotriol ointment on epidermal cell populations, proliferation and differentiation
J E M Körver
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 156:130-7. 2007
..However, studies comparing both treatment modalities are scarce. Especially, there are almost no studies comparing the effects on epidermal cell populations in a quantitative manner...
- Clobetasol propionate for psoriasis: are ointments really more potent?
Ohio State University College of Medicine, School of Public Health, Columbus, OH, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 5:527-32. 2006
..We excluded studies conducted before 1980 and those that allowed concomitant treatments...
- Limited application of fluticasone propionate ointment, 0.005% in patients with psoriasis of the face and intertriginous areas
M G Lebwohl
Department of Dermatology, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 44:77-82. 2001
- A randomized, double-blind, multicenter trial comparing fluticasone propionate cream, 0.05%, and hydrocortisone-17-butyrate cream, 0.1%, applied twice daily for 4 weeks in the treatment of psoriasis
Department of Dermatology, Royal Berkshire Hospital, England
Cutis 67:2-9. 2001
..Adverse events were limited to mild-to-moderate pruritus with fluticasone propionate (3.2%) and hydrocortisone-17-butyrate (1.7%) and mild skin warmth with hydrocortisone-17-butyrate (1.7%)...
- Corticosteroid-induced atrophy and barrier impairment measured by non-invasive methods in human skin
S.K.I.N. Inc, Conshohocken, PA, USA
Skin Res Technol 7:73-7. 2001
..The amount of ceramides, cholesterol, and free fatty acids was reduced. Ultrasound showed thinning of the dermis. CONCLUSION: Non-invasive methods are very useful for quantifying the atrophogenicity of topical corticosteroids...
- 0.3% Tacrolimus gel and 0.5% Tacrolimus cream show efficacy in mild to moderate plaque psoriasis: Results of a randomized, open-label, observer-blinded study
Jean Paul Ortonne
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Archet 2, Nice, France
Acta Derm Venereol 86:29-33. 2006
..011). Skin burning was mostly mild in intensity and decreased substantially after 1 week of treatment. There were no differences in the nature and incidence of infections and no clinically relevant changes in laboratory values...
- Topical miconazole nitrate ointment in the treatment of diaper dermatitis complicated by candidiasis
Mary K Spraker
Department of Dermatology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Cutis 77:113-20. 2006
..Our data show that miconazole nitrate 0.25% ointment was well tolerated and significantly more effective than the zinc oxide/petrolatum vehicle control for treatment of DD complicated by candidiasis...
- Prevention of corticosteroid-induced intraocular pressure elevation using ISV-205
William C Stewart
Pharmaceutical Research Network, LLC, Charleston, SC 29412 2464, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:1543-7. 2003
- Evaluation of efficacy of a skin lipid mixture in patients with irritant contact dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis or atopic dermatitis: a multicenter study
Department of Dermatology, University of Pavia, IRCCS Policlinico S. Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Contact Dermatitis 45:280-5. 2001
..In conclusion, the study shows that balanced lipid mixtures are effective in improving barrier properties and the clinical condition of the skin in contact dermatitis...
- Effect of a single overnight topical application of miconazole nitrate paste on acne papules
Department of Dermatopathology, University Hospital Sart Tilman, , Belgium
Int J Dermatol 45:316-9. 2006
..This effect was significantly (P < 0.05) superior to that of the unmedicated paste. CONCLUSION: A single overnight application of miconazole nitrate paste appears to reduce the erythematous aspect of acne papules...
- Topical 0.05% clobetasol propionate versus 1% pimecrolimus ointment in vitiligo
Firat University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Elazig Turkey
Eur J Dermatol 15:88-91. 2005
..For a better conclusive statement further studies involving larger groups of patients should be performed...
- Comparison of prednisolone 1%, rimexolone 1% and ketorolac tromethamine 0.5% after cataract extraction: a prospective, randomized, double-masked study
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Mathildenstrasse 8, 80336 Munich, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 243:768-73. 2005
..To compare the efficacy, safety and patient comfort of two topical steroids (prednisolone 1% and rimexolone 1%) and a topical non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent (ketorolac tromethamine 0.5%) after extracapsular cataract extraction...
- Efficacy of 0.1% tazarotene cream for the treatment of photodamage: a 12-month multicenter, randomized trial
Tania J Phillips
Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Arch Dermatol 138:1486-93. 2002
..To determine the efficacy and safety of 0.1% tazarotene cream for the treatment of photodamage...
- Comparison of chloroxylenol 0.5% plus salicylic acid 2% cream and benzoyl peroxide 5% gel in the treatment of acne vulgaris: a randomized double-blind study
State Hospital for Skin and Venereal Diseases, Thessaloniki, Greece
Drugs Exp Clin Res 29:101-5. 2003
..0002 and p = 0.05, respectively). These results suggest that PCMX + SA cream is as effective as BP gel in the treatment of papulopustular and comedonal acne and that it is better tolerated...
- An open-label study of the safety and efficacy of limited application of fluticasone propionate ointment, 0.005%, in patients with atopic dermatitis of the face and intertriginous areas
Department of Dermatology, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University, New York, USA
Int J Dermatol 41:804-9. 2002
..005%. The treatment resulted in rapid healing and provided efficacy with a low rate of recurrence and no evidence of skin atrophy or telangiectasia over 8 weeks...
- A phase III, multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of topical aminocaproic acid (Caprogel) in the management of traumatic hyphema
Dante J Pieramici
Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Ophthalmology 110:2106-12. 2003
..However, because the study was terminated before complete enrollment, more definitive recommendations will require a larger trial...
- Acute and maintenance treatment of atopic dermatitis in children - two comparative studies with fluticasone propionate (0.05%) cream
M E Kirkup
Bristol Royal Infirmary and Bristol Royal Hospital for Sick Children, Bristol, UK
J Dermatolog Treat 14:141-8. 2003
..Two multicentre, randomised, parallel group, double-blind, comparative studies in children (2-14 yr) evaluated fluticasone propionate (FP) 0.05% cream for both acute and maintenance treatment of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis (AD)...
- The comparison of efficacies of topical corticosteroids and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drops on dry eye patients: a clinical and immunocytochemical study
Avni Murat Avunduk
Louisiana State University, School of Medicine, LSU Eye Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 136:593-602. 2003
..These effects were associated with the reduction of inflammation markers of conjunctival epithelial cells...
- Improved risk-benefit ratio for topical triamcinolone acetonide in Transfersome in comparison with equipotent cream and ointment: a randomized controlled trial
Department of Dermatology and Allergy, Technical University Munich, Biedersteinerstr 29, 80802 Munich, Germany
Br J Dermatol 149:611-9. 2003
..Transfersome is a drug delivery technology based on highly deformable, ultraflexible lipid vesicles which penetrate the skin when applied non-occlusively...