- Development of nitrosyl ruthenium complex-loaded lipid carriers for topical administration: improvement in skin stability and in nitric oxide release by visible light irradiation
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Ribeirão Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Av do Cafe S N, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
J Pharm Biomed Anal 53:843-51. 2010
..In this context, NRC-loaded lipid carriers were developed and characterized to further explore its topical administration for applications such as skin cancer treatment...
- Liquid versus gel handrub formulation: a prospective intervention study
Infection Control Programme, University of Geneva Hospitals, 24 Rue Micheli du Crest, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Crit Care 11:R52. 2007
..Alcohol-based handrub is the new standard for hand hygiene action worldwide and usually requires a system change for its successful introduction in routine care. Product acceptability by HCWs is a crucial step in this process...
- Open-label trial of cyclosporine for vulvar lichen sclerosus
Emel Bulbul Baskan
Uludag University Medical Faculty, Department of Dermatology, Gorukle 16059, Bursa, Turkey
J Am Acad Dermatol 57:276-8. 2007
..Lichen sclerosus (LS) is a chronic inflammatory disease of skin and mucosal surfaces which is generally difficult to treat...
- Comparison of clinical efficacy of topical tazarotene 0.1% cream with topical clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream in chronic plaque psoriasis: a double-blind, randomized, right-left comparison study
Joe S Angelo
Department of Dermatology, SLR and TC, Karigiri, Vellore, India
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 73:65. 2007
..No controlled data is available till date comparing topical tazarotene and clobetasol in Indian psoriatic patients...
- Metronidazole 0.75% gel vs. ketoconazole 2% cream in the treatment of facial seborrheic dermatitis: a randomized, double-blind study
Marmara University School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, Altunizade, 34700 Uskudar Istanbul, Turkey
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 21:345-50. 2007
..Recently, two placebo-controlled studies have shown that topical metronidazole was effective in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis...
- Concentrations of mitomycin C in rabbit corneal tissue and aqueous humor after topical administration
Jong Suk Song
Department of Ophthalmology, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Cornea 25:S20-3. 2006
To study the aqueous and corneal pharmacokinetics of mitomycin C (MMC) after single topical administration to the central cornea and to evaluate the effects of different concentrations and different application times on the aqueous ..
- Pharmacokinetic analysis of capsaicin after topical administration of a high-concentration capsaicin patch to patients with peripheral neuropathic pain
NeurogesX, Inc, San Mateo, California 94404, USA
Ther Drug Monit 31:502-10. 2009
..The low systemic exposure and very rapid elimination half-life of capsaicin after NGX-4010 administration are unlikely to result in systemic effects and support the overall safety profile of this investigational cutaneous patch...
- Topical administration of nepafenac inhibits diabetes-induced retinal microvascular disease and underlying abnormalities of retinal metabolism and physiology
Timothy S Kern
Medicine and Ophthalmology, 434 Biomedical Research Building, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Diabetes 56:373-9. 2007
..Local inhibition of inflammatory pathways in the eye offers a novel therapeutic approach toward inhibiting the development of lesions of diabetic retinopathy...
- Equivalence study of a topical diclofenac solution (pennsaid) compared with oral diclofenac in symptomatic treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled trial
Peter S Tugwell
Centre for Global Health, Institute of Population Health, Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 31:2002-12. 2004
..To compare the safety and efficacy of a topical diclofenac solution versus oral diclofenac in relieving the symptoms of primary osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee, in a randomized, double-blind, double-dummy equivalence trial...
- Efficacy and safety of a topical diclofenac solution (pennsaid) in the treatment of primary osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, double-blind, vehicle-controlled clinical trial
Sanford H Roth
Arizona Research and Education, Phoenix, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:2017-23. 2004
..A new topical diclofenac sodium solution-containing the absorption enhancer dimethyl sulfoxide-was evaluated for the relief of the symptoms of primary OA of the knee...
- Topical administration of simvastatin recovers alveolar bone loss in rats
Department of Periodontology and Endodontology, Oral and Maxillofacial Dentistry, Division of Medico Dental Dynamics and Reconstruction, Institute of Health Biosciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School, Tokushima, Japan
J Periodontal Res 43:261-7. 2008
..Simvastatin, a cholesterol-lowering drug, has been reported to show anabolic effects on bone metabolism. We examined the effects of simvastatin in vitro using cultured rat calvaria cells and in vivo using periodontitis-induced rats...
- Tear concentrations of azithromycin following topical administration of a single dose of azithromycin 0.5%, 1.0%, and 1.5% eyedrops (T1225) in healthy volunteers
Centre de Pharmacologie Clinique, Bâtiment du Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine, Clermont Ferrand, France
Eur J Ophthalmol 18:13-20. 2008
..To evaluate azithromycin tear concentrations after one drop of T1225 0.5%, 1.0%, and 1.5% eyedrops...
- Distribution of cyclosporin A in ocular tissues after topical administration to albino rabbits and beagle dogs
A A Acheampong
Allergan, Irvine, CA 92715, USA
Curr Eye Res 18:91-103. 1999
..To determine the ocular pharmacokinetics of cyclosporin A after topical ophthalmic administration...
- Topical administration of HSV gD-IL-2 DNA is highly protective against murine herpetic stromal keratitis
Department of Ophthalmology, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Japan
Cornea 21:106-10. 2002
..To evaluate the immunopreventive effect of eyedrops that contain gD-IL-2 DNA (a chimeric gene of the glycoprotein D gene of herpes simplex virus type I (HSV-1) and human interleukin-2 (IL-2) on murine herpetic keratitis...
- Antioxidant status modifications by topical administration of dorzolamide in primary open-angle glaucoma
Ophthalmologic Research Unit Santiago Grisolia, Dr Peset University Hospital, Valencia Spain
Eur J Ophthalmol 19:565-71. 2009
This study deals with the role of the topical administration of dorzolamide eyedrops on the oxidative/antioxidant status of aqueous humor in patients with primary open angle glaucoma (POAG).
- Does aqueous or sucralfate cream affect the severity of erythematous radiation skin reactions? A randomised controlled trial
School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Dundee, 11 Airlie Place, Dundee DD1 4HJ, UK
Radiother Oncol 73:153-62. 2004
..This paper presents the results of phase A...
- Lecithin microemulsions for the topical administration of ketoprofen: percutaneous adsorption through human skin and in vivo human skin tolerability
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Catania, Viale Andrea Doria 6, I 95125 Catania, Italy
Int J Pharm 244:21-31. 2002
..The human skin tolerability of various microemulsion formulations was evaluated on human volunteers. Microemulsions showed a good human skin tolerability...
- Nanostructured lipid carriers (NLC) in cosmetic dermal products
R H Muller
Freie Universitat Berlin, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Biopharmaceutics and NutriCosmetics, Kelchstrasse 31, 12169 Berlin, Germany
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 59:522-30. 2007
..An overview of these products is provided including their special effects due to the lipid nanoparticles, lipids used for their production and incorporated cosmetic actives...
- Effect of a topical diclofenac solution for relieving symptoms of primary osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled trial
Arthur A M Bookman
Dimethaid Health Care Ltd, 1405 Denison Street, Markham, Ontario L3R 5V2, Canada
CMAJ 171:333-8. 2004
..The objective of this trial was to assess the safety and efficacy of a topical diclofenac solution in relieving the symptoms of primary osteoarthritis of the knee...
- Influence of combined intravenous and topical antibiotic prophylaxis on the incidence of infections, organ dysfunctions, and mortality in critically ill surgical patients: a prospective, stratified, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical tr
Wolfgang A Krueger
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Tubingen University Hospital, Tubingen
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1029-37. 2002
..496-1.046). Surveillance cultures from tracheobronchial, oropharyngeal, and gastric secretions and from rectal swabs did not show any evidence for the selection of resistant microorganisms in the patients receiving prophylaxis...
- Antiinflammatory and analgesic activity of topical administration of Siegesbeckia pubescens
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030, People s Republic of China
Pak J Pharm Sci 21:89-91. 2008
..The results of the present study further confirm the use of Siegesbeckia pubescens traditionally for the treatment of painful inflammatory conditions and can be useful for the treatment of local inflammation...
- Lipid nanoparticles for improved topical application of drugs for skin diseases
Institut fur Pharmazie, Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, der Freien Universität Berlin, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 59:427-43. 2007
..A special focus is upon the interactions of active ingredients and the lipid matrix as well as the quantification of dermal penetration...
- Topical pimecrolimus for skin disease other than atopic dermatitis
Department of Dermatology, Academic Teaching Hospital Dresden Friedrichstadt, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 7:1967-75. 2006
- Skin benefits from continuous topical administration of a zinc oxide/petrolatum formulation by a novel disposable diaper
Procter and Gamble Co, Cincinnati, OH 45242, USA
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 15:5-11. 2001
..Aiming to help reduce the prevalence of this problem, we have advanced in our development of a novel diaper that delivers dermatological formulations to help protect the skin from over-hydration and irritation...
- Pharmacokinetics and posterior segment biodistribution of ESBA105, an anti-TNF-alpha single-chain antibody, upon topical administration to the rabbit eye
ESBATech AG, Schlieren, Switzerland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:771-8. 2009
The purpose of this study was to characterize local distribution and systemic absorption of the tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha inhibitory single-chain antibody fragment (scFv) ESBA105 following topical administration to the eye in vivo.
- Topical administration of diclofenac (1%) in the prevention of miosis during vitrectomy
Department of Ophthalmology, Tehran University of Medical Sciences Eye Research Center, Tehran, Iran
Retina 28:1215-20. 2008
..A prospective, randomized clinical trial was conducted to assess the usefulness of preoperative diclofenac eye drops in maintaining mydriasis during vitrectomy and in reducing postoperative inflammation...
- Rate and extent of percutaneous absorption of sertaconazole nitrate after topical administration
Trommsdorff GmbH and Co Arzneimittel, Research and Development, Alsdorf, Germany
Arzneimittelforschung 55:338-42. 2005
- The effect of the topical administration of bioactive glass on inflammatory markers of human experimental gingivitis
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Arnold Heller Str 16, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Biomaterials 26:1545-51. 2005
..The topical application of 45S5 bioactive glass in humans with experimental gingivitis attenuated the clinical signs of inflammation, although the bacterial accumulation was not inhibited in this clinical trial...
- Intraocular pressure-lowering effects and safety of topical administration of a selective ROCK inhibitor, SNJ-1656, in healthy volunteers
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Kumamoto University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kumamoto, Japan
Arch Ophthalmol 126:309-15. 2008
To investigate the effects and safety of topical administration of an ophthalmic solution of a selective Rho-associated coiled coil-forming protein kinase (ROCK) inhibitor, SNJ-1656, 0.003% to 0.1%, in healthy male adult volunteers.
- An open trial of topical tacrolimus for erosive oral lichen planus
Department of Dermatology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland 97201, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 47:617-20. 2002
..1%. This medication was well tolerated and appears to be effective in controlling erosive oral lichen planus...
- Microemulsions for topical delivery of 8-methoxsalen
Department of Farmacia y Tecnologia Farmaceutica, School of Pharmacy, University of Santiago de Compostela, 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
J Control Release 69:209-18. 2000
..In order to develop alternative formulations for the topical administration of 8-MOP, microemulsions were evaluated as delivery vehicles...
- Effects of topical administration of clodronate on alveolar bone resorption in rats with experimental periodontitis
Department of Oral Rehabilitation and Materials Science, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Japan
J Periodontol 73:479-86. 2002
We examined whether topical administration of a bisphosphonate clodronate could prevent alveolar bone loss in rats with experimental periodontitis.
- Topical treatment of acute adenoviral keratoconjunctivitis with 0.2% cidofovir and 1% cyclosporine: a controlled clinical pilot study
The Eye Hospital, Heinrich Heine University, Dusseldorf, Germany
Arch Ophthalmol 119:1487-91. 2001
..To evaluate the efficacy of 0.2% cidofovir eyedrops and 1% cyclosporine eyedrops administered 4 times daily (qid) to treat acute adenoviral keratoconjunctivitis...
- Topically applied vitamin C enhances the mRNA level of collagens I and III, their processing enzymes and tissue inhibitor of matrix metalloproteinase 1 in the human dermis
B V Nusgens
Laboratory of Connective Tissues Biology, Tour de Pathologie, University of Liege, Sart Tilman, Belgium
J Invest Dermatol 116:853-9. 2001
..The results indicate that the functional activity of the dermal cells is not maximal in postmenopausal women and can be increased...
- Topical tacrolimus (FK506) in the treatment of recalcitrant parastomal pyoderma gangrenosum associated with Crohn's disease: report of two cases
M Khurrum Baig
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, Florida 33331, USA
Colorectal Dis 6:250-3. 2004
..The commonest site is the skin, but sometimes it can occur in the parastomal region. Most of these cases respond to treatment with systemic corticosteroids and cyclosporin or local Kenalog injections...
- Myocardial ischemia induced by topical use of 5-fluorouracil
Department of Cardiology, Hadassah University Hospital, Ein Kerem, Jerusalem, Israel
Int J Cardiol 49:282-3. 1995
..Prophylactic therapy with nitroglycerin patch enabled further use of the 5-fluorouracil cream for the next month...
- Keratitis, ulceration, and perforation associated with topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
A C Guidera
Department of Ophthalmology, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York, NY, USA
Ophthalmology 108:936-44. 2001
..Potential risk factors include conditions that predispose the patient to corneal melting, concurrent topical steroids, and epithelial keratopathy in the early postoperative period...
- A case of necrotizing fasciitis due to Streptococcus pneumoniae following topical administration of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Mona Ben M'rad
Clin Infect Dis 35:775-6. 2002
- Medical therapies for non-melanoma skin cancer
Solano Clinical Research, Solano Dermatology Associates, Vallejo, California, USA
Clin Dermatol 22:183-8. 2004
..This preliminary information will expand to include more therapeutic options for NMSC in the future. Further clinical trials are needed to better elucidate possible alternative treatment strategies for NMSC...
- EMLA cream versus dorsal penile nerve block for postcircumcision analgesia in children
W Y Choi
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, Chai Wan, Hong Kong
Anesth Analg 96:396-9, table of contents. 2003
..We conclude that preoperative application of EMLA cream is an effective and simple method to produce postcircumcision analgesia with a very small incidence of adverse effects...
- Effect of topical tranexamic acid in open heart surgery
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cairo University, Kasr El Ainy Faculty of Medicine, Cairo, Egypt
Eur J Anaesthesiol 23:380-4. 2006
..We have evaluated the effect of the topical use of tranexamic acid in the pericardial cavity on postoperative bleeding following open heart surgery...
- Topical administration of Caroverine in somatic tinnitus treatment: proof-of-concept study
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Int Tinnitus J 11:34-7. 2005
..These results encouraged us to design consequential GCP-conform phase 2 and phase 3 studies...
- Potentiation of tumor formation by topical administration of 15-deoxy-delta12,14-prostaglandin J2 in a model of skin carcinogenesis
Instituto de Bioquimica, CSIC UCM, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Carcinogenesis 27:328-36. 2006
..These effects mediated by 15dPGJ2 might contribute to understand the role of COX-2 metabolites in carcinogenesis, leading to an increase of cell viability after mutagenic injury and therefore in the progression of tumors...
- Effectiveness of topical administration of opioids in palliative care: a systematic review
Frimley Park Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Frimley, Surrey, United Kingdom
J Pain Symptom Manage 37:913-7. 2009
..N-of-1 trials should be encouraged for specific clinical circumstances...
- Effects of systemic or topical administration of sodium selenite on early radiation effects in mouse oral mucosa
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiooncology, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 183:36-42. 2007
To quantify the effect of sodium selenite (selenium) on radiation-induced oral mucositis (mouse) after subcutaneous or topical administration.
- Effects of topical administration of 12-methyl tetradecanoic acid (12-MTA) on the development of corneal angiogenesis
Institute for Eye Research, Level 4, Rupert Myers Building, Gate 14, Barker Street, Kensington, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Angiogenesis 10:47-54. 2007
..Our studies indicate that 12-MTA may provide clinically significant advantages over conventional steroids for the treatment of vessel growth in the cornea...
- Intraocular penetration of pyruvate following its topical administration in mice
K R Hegde
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Mol Cell Biochem 338:87-90. 2010
..However, with the view of the desirability of treating eye diseases by topical administration of the pharmacological agents, the present studies were conducted to determine the penetrability of ..
- Influence of topical administration of n-3 and n-6 essential and n-9 nonessential fatty acids on the healing of cutaneous wounds
Cristina Ribeiro Barros Cardoso
Laboratory of Immunology, Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, Brazil
Wound Repair Regen 12:235-43. 2004
..Thus, our results suggest a relevant role and potential therapeutic implication for fatty acids on skin wound healing...
- Ocular pharmacokinetics of besifloxacin following topical administration to rabbits, monkeys, and humans
Joel W Proksch
Global Research and Development, Bausch and Lomb, 1400 N Goodman Street, Rochester, NY 14609, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 25:335-44. 2009
..Studies were conducted to evaluate the ocular penetration and systemic exposure to besifloxacin, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic, following topical ocular administration to animals and humans...
- Fluconazole distribution in rat dermis following intravenous and topical application: a microdialysis study
François Xavier Mathy
Unite de Pharmacie Galenique, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Av E Mounier 73, UCL 73 20, 1200 Brussels, Belgium
J Pharm Sci 94:770-80. 2005
..v.) and topical administration in the awake freely moving rat. Following i.v...
- Lipid nanoparticles for skin penetration enhancement-correlation to drug localization within the particle matrix as determined by fluorescence and parelectric spectroscopy
S Lombardi Borgia
Institut fur Pharmazie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
J Control Release 110:151-63. 2005
..Therefore, drug targeting appears to be more strictly related to the mode of interaction of drug and particle than penetration enhancement...
- Lipid nanoparticles for prolonged topical delivery: an in vitro and in vivo investigation
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University of Catania, Viale A Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
Int J Pharm 357:295-304. 2008
..Recently, lipid nanoparticles have shown a great potential as vehicle for topical administration of active substances, principally owing to the possible targeting effect and controlled release in ..
- Sustained ocular delivery of tilisolol to rabbits after topical administration or intravitreal injection of lipophilic prodrug incorporated in liposomes
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nagasaki University, Japan
J Pharm Pharmacol 53:1157-61. 2001
..O-Palmitoyl tilisolol was completely incorporated in the liposomes. After topical administration of O-palmitoyl tilisolol liposomes to the rabbit eye, O-palmitoyl tilisolol rapidly disappeared from the ..
- Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia by oral decontamination: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study
D C Bergmans
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:382-8. 2001
..cross infection, prevention and control; respiration, artificial, adverse effects; antibiotics, administration and dosage infection control methods; pneumonia, etiology, prevention and control; intubation, intratracheal, adverse effects..
- Topical applications of chlorhexidine to the umbilical cord for prevention of omphalitis and neonatal mortality in southern Nepal: a community-based, cluster-randomised trial
Luke C Mullany
Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21211, USA
Lancet 367:910-8. 2006
..Omphalitis contributes to neonatal morbidity and mortality in developing countries. Umbilical cord cleansing with antiseptics might reduce infection and mortality risk, but has not been rigorously investigated...
- How effective is tetracaine 4% gel, before a peripherally inserted central catheter, in reducing procedural pain in infants: a randomized double-blind placebo controlled trial [ISRCTN75884221]
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
BMC Med 4:11. 2006
..The objective of this trial was to assess the safety and efficacy of tetracaine gel on the pain response of very low birth weight (VLBW) infants during insertion of a PICC...
- Therapeutic effect of topical administration of SN50, an inhibitor of nuclear factor-kappaB, in treatment of corneal alkali burns in mice
Department of Ophthalmology, Wakayama Medical University, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama, 641 0012, Japan
Am J Pathol 166:1393-403. 2005
We evaluated the therapeutic efficacy of topical administration of SN50, an inhibitor of nuclear factor-kappaB, in a corneal alkali burn model in mice...
- Niacinamide-containing facial moisturizer improves skin barrier and benefits subjects with rosacea
Zoe Diana Draelos
Department of Dermatology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina, USA
Cutis 76:135-41. 2005
..Instruments provided objective measures of stratum corneum barrier function and hydration on the face...
- Penetration of topically applied ciprofloxacin and ofloxacin into the aqueous humor and vitreous
Ilgaz Sagdic Yalvac
Department of Ophthalmology, Ankara Hospital, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:487-91. 2003
..3% and ofloxacin 0.3%, into the aqueous humor and vitreous and to relate these levels to the miminum inhibitory concentration (MIC(90)) for organisms associated with ocular bacterial infections...
- Topical cyclosporine inhibits conjunctival epithelial apoptosis in experimental murine keratoconjunctivitis sicca
Ocular Surface Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Cullen Eye Institute, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cornea 24:80-5. 2005
..The purpose of this study is to determine if topical CsA treatment inhibits conjunctival epithelial apoptosis in a murine model of KCS...
- Effects of topical administration of an aldose reductase inhibitor on cataract formation in dogs fed a diet high in galactose
Peter F Kador
College of Pharmacy, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198, Therapeutic Vision Inc, 11778 Whitmore S, Omaha, NE 68142, USA
Am J Vet Res 67:1783-7. 2006
..To determine effects of a topical formulation of an aldose reductase inhibitor (ARI) on the development of sugar cataracts in dogs fed a diet high in galactose. Animals-Ten 6-month old Beagles...
- Topical administration of a multi-targeted kinase inhibitor suppresses choroidal neovascularization and retinal edema
TargeGen, Inc, San Diego, California
J Cell Physiol 216:29-37. 2008
..These data suggest that TG100801 may provide a new topically applied treatment approach for ocular neovascularization and retinal edema...
- The development of Cutina lipogels and gel microemulsion for topical administration of fluconazole
H M El Laithy
Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
AAPS PharmSciTech 3:E35. 2002
..05). The antifungal activity of fluconazole showed the widest zone of inhibition with gel microemulsion. The gel microemulsion is an excellent vehicle for fluconazole topical drug delivery...
- Comparison of invasive and non-invasive tonometry in the mouse
Christy A Morris
Department of Ophthalmology, Hamilton Glaucoma Center, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0946, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:1094-9. 2006
..Despite these limitations, the rebound tonometer has a significant advantage over cannulation tonometry in that it permits longitudinal IOP measurement in conscious mice...
- Intravenous morphine and topical tetracaine for treatment of pain in [corrected] neonates undergoing central line placement
Department of Pharmacy, The Hospital for Sick Children, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
JAMA 295:793-800. 2006
..There is limited evidence of the analgesic effectiveness of opioid analgesia or topical anesthesia during central line placement in neonates, and there are no previous studies of their relative effectiveness...
- Evaluation of an eucalyptus oil containing topical drug delivery system for selected steroid hormones
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmaceutics, University of Vienna, Althanstrasse 14, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Int J Pharm 328:142-51. 2007
..In addition, viscosity measurements were performed. They indicated an influence of the polymers and drugs on the viscosity in all formulations...
- [Update in the treatment of herpes zoster]
Departamento de Dermatologia, Clinica Universitaria de Navarra, Facultad de Medicina, Spain
Actas Dermosifiliogr 97:103-14. 2006
..Finally, this review discusses treatment guidelines for special locations (cranial nerves) and different subpopulations (children, pregnant women, immunodepressed patients, etc)...
- Chronic hypertrophic acyclovir-resistant genital herpes treated with topical cidofovir and with topical foscarnet at recurrence in an HIV-positive man
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:887-9. 2006
- Dermatopharmacokinetic prediction of topical drug bioavailability in vivo
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
J Invest Dermatol 127:887-94. 2007
..Prediction and experiment agreed satisfactorily suggesting that objective and quantitative information, with which to characterize topical drug bioavailability, can be obtained from this approach...
- Oral versus topical NSAIDs in rheumatic diseases: a comparison
C A Heyneman
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Administrative Sciences, Idaho State University College of Pharmacy, Pocatello 83209, USA
Drugs 60:555-74. 2000
..b>Topical administration of NSAIDs offers the advantage of local, enhanced drug delivery to affected tissues with a reduced ..
- Treatment of all basal cell carcinoma variants including large and high-risk lesions with 5% imiquimod cream: histological and clinical changes, outcome, and follow-up
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Federal University Teaching Hospital, Feldkirch, Austria
J Drugs Dermatol 6:507-13. 2007
..This early imiquimod response might have important implications for the final definition of potentially shorter imiquimod treatment periods...
- Eudragit RS100 nanosuspensions for the ophthalmic controlled delivery of ibuprofen
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita degli Studi di Catania, Citta Universitaria, Viale A Doria, 6 95125, Catania, Italy
Eur J Pharm Sci 16:53-61. 2002
..Drug levels in the aqueous humour were also higher after application of the nanosuspensions; moreover, IBU-loaded nanosuspensions did not show toxicity on ocular tissues...
- Piroxicam nanoparticles for ocular delivery: physicochemical characterization and implementation in endotoxin-induced uveitis
Research Center for Pharmaceutical Nanotechnology, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
J Drug Target 15:407-16. 2007
..Upon these findings, we propose that the piroxicam:Eudragit RS100 nanosuspensions may be considered as an improved ocular delivery system for locally inhibition of inflammation...
- Topical pranoprofen 0.1% is as effective anti-inflammatory and analgesic agent as diclofenac sodium 0.1% after strabismus surgery
Department of Ophthalmology, Ataturk University Faculty of Medicine, Erzurum, Turkey
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 23:280-3. 2007
..1% in reducing inflammation and pain after strabismus surgery. Pranoprofen could be used as a safe and effective anti-inflammatory alternative for the treatment of inflammation following strabismus surgery...
- Aqueous humor concentration of voriconazole after topical administration in rabbits
Christian K Vorwerk
Department of Ophthalmology, Otto von Guericke University, Leipziger Strasse 44, D 39120, Magdeburg, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:1179-83. 2008
..and Aspergillus spp. which are frequent causes of fungal keratitis depending on geographic location. We investigated the penetration of voriconazole through the cornea into the aqueous humor (AH) after topical administration.
- Effects of topical administration of y-39983, a selective rho-associated protein kinase inhibitor, on ocular tissues in rabbits and monkeys
Research Laboratories, Senju Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Kobe, Osaka, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:3216-22. 2007
..To elucidate the intraocular pressure (IOP)-lowering effects and associated characteristics of Y-39983, a selective Rho-associated coiled coil-forming protein kinase (ROCK) inhibitor derived from Y-27632, in animal eyes...
- Measuring the effects of topical moisturizers on changes in stratum corneum thickness, water gradients and hydration in vivo
J M Crowther
Procter and Gamble Technical Centres Ltd, Rusham Park, Whitehall Lane, Egham, Surrey, TW20 9NW, UK
Br J Dermatol 159:567-77. 2008
- Topical administration of low-dose tenofovir disoproxil fumarate to protect infant macaques against multiple oral exposures of low doses of simian immunodeficiency virus
Koen K A Van Rompay
California National Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis, California 95616 8542, USA
J Infect Dis 186:1508-13. 2002
..In a subsequent study, 2 oral inoculations of 4 juvenile macaques with a mixture of tenofovir DF and SIVmac251 induced persistent infection. Topical administration of low doses of tenofovir DF did not protect against oral SIV infection.
- Penetration of chlorhexidine into human skin
T J Karpanen
Life and Health Sciences, Aston University, Aston Triangle B4 7ET, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:3633-6. 2008
..This study lays the foundation for further research in adopting alternative strategies for enhanced skin antisepsis in clinical practice...
- Aqueous and vitreous concentrations following topical administration of 1% voriconazole in humans
G Atma Vemulakonda
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:18-22. 2008
To determine the penetration of 1% voriconazole solution into the aqueous and vitreous following topical administration.
- Topical application of antifibrinolytic drugs for on-pump cardiac surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Department of Anesthesia, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, 2 434 McLaughlin Wing, 399 Bathurst Street, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5T 2S8
Can J Anaesth 56:202-12. 2009
..This systematic review aimed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of topical application of antifibrinolytic drugs to reduce postoperative bleeding and transfusion requirements in patients undergoing on-pump cardiac surgery...
- Repair of photoaged dermal matrix by topical application of a cosmetic 'antiageing' product
R E B Watson
Dermatological Sciences Research Group, The University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Br J Dermatol 158:472-7. 2008
..To date, little is known regarding the ability of over-the-counter 'antiageing' products to repair photoaged skin...
- Effect of barrier perturbation on cutaneous salicylic acid penetration in human skin: in vivo pharmacokinetics using microdialysis and non-invasive quantification of barrier function
Department of Dermatology, University of Copenhagen, Gentofte Hospital, Niels Andersensvej 65, DK 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Br J Dermatol 140:739-48. 1999
..The measured drug penetration was demonstrated to correlate with non-invasive quantification of barrier damage...
- Tacrolimus and pimecrolimus: from clever prokaryotes to inhibiting calcineurin and treating atopic dermatitis
Cutaneous Oncology Unit, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 46:228-41. 2002
..03% or 0.1% tacrolimus ointment for use in adults and children...
- Topical estrogen protects against SIV vaginal transmission without evidence of systemic effect
Stephen M Smith
Saint Michael s Medical Center and The New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
AIDS 18:1637-43. 2004
..Systemic estrogen can protect against SIV vaginal transmission...
- Solid lipid nanoparticles as carrier for sunscreens: in vitro release and in vivo skin penetration
S A Wissing
Department of Pharmaceutics, Biopharmaceutics and Biotechnology, The Free University of Berlin, Kelchstrasse 31, D 12169 Berlin, Germany
J Control Release 81:225-33. 2002
..The rate of release also depends upon the total concentration of oxybenzone in the formulation. In vitro-in vivo correlations could be made qualitatively...
- Time course of 8-methoxypsoralen concentrations in skin and plasma after topical (bath and cream) and oral administration of 8-methoxypsoralen
Pharmazentrum Frankfurt, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Clin Pharmacol Ther 71:153-61. 2002
..To achieve optimal therapeutic effects, ultraviolet A irradiation should be performed at the time of maximum photosensitivity, that is, at the time of maximum 8-methoxypsoralen tissue concentrations...
- Crusted scabies in an immunocompetent child: treatment with ivermectin
H B Gladstone
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98105, USA
Pediatr Dermatol 17:144-8. 2000
..We discuss the use of oral ivermectin for treatment of crusted scabies and the challenging comprehensive management needed for this socially stigmatizing condition...
- Topical ascorbic acid on photoaged skin. Clinical, topographical and ultrastructural evaluation: double-blind study vs. placebo
Philippe G Humbert
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Saint Jacques, University of Franche Comte, Besancon, France
Exp Dermatol 12:237-44. 2003
- Transcutaneous absorption of oil in preterm babies--a pilot study
A R Fernandez
Department of Neonatology, L T M G Hospital and L T M M College, Sion, Mumbai, India
Indian Pediatr 42:255-8. 2005
..The post oil application serum sample of all the 12 babies showed the presence of marker fatty acids of Meadowfoam oil which indicates transcutaneous absorption of oil in preterm babies...
- Symmetry of fellow-eye intraocular pressure responses to topical glaucoma medications
Department of Ophthalmology, West Virginia University Eye Institute, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506, USA
Ophthalmology 112:599-602. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to determine if this assumption is true...
- Treatment of mild to moderate seborrhoeic dermatitis with MAS064D (Sebclair), a novel topical medical device: results of a pilot, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial
Institute of Dermatological Sciences, University of Milan, IRCCS Foundation, Policlinico, Mangiagalli, Italy
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 22:290-6. 2008
..MAS064D (Sebclair) is a novel steroid-free cream containing multiple active ingredients. Objective of this pilot study was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of MAS064D in the treatment of mild to moderate SD of the face...
- Treatment of photoaged skin with a cream containing 0.05% isotretinoin and sunscreens
C E M Griffiths
Dermatology Centre, Hope Hospital, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
J Dermatolog Treat 16:79-86. 2005
..To determine the safety and efficacy of a cream formulation of 0.05% isotretinoin with sunscreens (SPF 15) (I+S) in the treatment of photoaged skin...
- A randomized study of the safety, absorption and efficacy of pimecrolimus cream 1% applied twice or four times daily in patients with atopic dermatitis
MedaPhase Inc, Newman, GA 30263, USA
J Dermatolog Treat 16:142-8. 2005
..This study compared the safety, efficacy and systemic absorption of pimecrolimus administered twice daily (recommended dose) and four times daily early in the treatment of patients with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis...
- Tazarotene 0.1 percent cream plus clindamycin 1 percent gel versus tretinoin 0.025 percent gel plus clindamycin 1 percent gel in the treatment of facial acne vulgaris
Center for Dermatology and Laser Surgery, Sacramento, CA, USA
Dermatol Online J 13:1. 2007
..05). Both regimens were similarly well tolerated. In the treatment of facial acne vulgaris, tazarotene plus clindamycin offers significantly greater efficacy than tretinoin plus clindamycin and has comparable tolerability...
- Calcipotriol plus betamethasone dipropionate scalp formulation is effective and well tolerated in the treatment of scalp psoriasis: a phase II study
Department of Dermatology, Waterford Regional Hospital Ardkeen, Waterford, Ireland
Dermatology 217:107-13. 2008
..There is a need for more effective therapy for scalp psoriasis...
- [Comparison of activity of different topical corticosteroid creams and ointments using a vasoconstriction assay: superiority of hydrocortisone butyrate over hydrocortisone]
Hans Christian Korting
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Dermatologie und Allergologie, Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 3:348-53. 2005
..Topical corticosteroids are the treatment of choice for numerous inflammatory or hyperproliferative skin diseases. The vasoconstriction assay is suitable to determinate corticosteroid activity...
- Evaluation of beneficial and adverse effects of glucocorticoids on a newly developed full-thickness skin model
Nadja Nicole Zöller
Department of Dermatology and Venerology, J W Goethe University, Medical School, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Toxicol In Vitro 22:747-59. 2008
..The present study demonstrates the versatility of this FTSM in the validation of effectiveness and safety of GCs...
- A double-blind, randomized quantitative comparison of calcitriol ointment and calcipotriol ointment on epidermal cell populations, proliferation and differentiation
J E M Körver
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Dermatol 156:130-7. 2007
..However, studies comparing both treatment modalities are scarce. Especially, there are almost no studies comparing the effects on epidermal cell populations in a quantitative manner...
- 1% hydrocortisone ointment is an effective treatment of pruritus ani: a pilot randomized controlled crossover trial
Department of Surgery, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS, UK
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:1463-7. 2007
..There is paucity of evidence-based guidelines on the treatment of this condition. We examined whether 1% hydrocortisone ointment is an effective treatment for PA...
- Explorative immunohistochemical study to evaluate the addition of a topical corticosteroid in the early phase of alefacept treatment for psoriasis
H J Bovenschen
Department of Dermatology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P O Box 9101, Nijmegen, 6500 HB, The Netherlands
Arch Dermatol Res 298:457-63. 2007
..Once daily treatment with betamethasone dipropionate cream during the first 4 weeks of an intramuscular alefacept course did not provide substantial additional clinical and immunohistochemical improvement...