Summary: Use of ultrasound to increase the percutaneous adsorption of drugs.
Publications119 found, 100 shown here
- Diclofenac phonophoresis in human volunteersGiovana C Rosim
Department of Biomechanics, Medicine and Rehabilitation of the Locomotor Apparatus, Ribeirao Preto School of Medicine, Sao Paulo University, Ribeirao Preto SP, Brazil
Ultrasound Med Biol 31:337-43. 2005A quantitative study of sodium diclofenac (Voltaren Emulgel, Novartis) phonophoresis was undertaken in humans...
- Low-frequency sonophoresis: a reviewSamir Mitragotri
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 56:589-601. 2004..Mechanistic insights gained through a number of investigations are also reviewed. Finally, reports on the synergistic effect of low-frequency ultrasound with other enhancers including chemicals and iontophoresis are summarized...
- Dermal and transdermal drug delivery systems: current and future prospectsMarc B Brown
Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Division, King s College London and MedPharm Ltd, London, United Kingdom
Drug Deliv 13:175-87. 2006..This article provides a detailed review of the next generation of active delivery technologies...
- Frequency dependence of sonophoresisA Tezel
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Pharm Res 18:1694-700. 2001..9 kHz). CONCLUSIONS: This study provides a quantitative understanding of the effects of low-frequency ultrasound on skin permeability...
- Phonophoresis: efficiency, mechanisms and skin toleranceL Machet
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital, F 37044 Tours Cedex 01, France
Int J Pharm 243:1-15. 2002b>Phonophoresis or sonophoresis is the use of ultrasound to increase percutaneous absorption of a drug. The technique has been widely used in sports medicine since the sixties...
- Short term efficacy of ibuprofen phonophoresis versus continuous ultrasound therapy in knee osteoarthritisErkan Kozanoglu
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova Unviersity, Adana, Turkey
Swiss Med Wkly 133:333-8. 2003To compare the effectiveness of ibuprofen phonophoresis (PH) with conventional ultrasound (US) therapy in knee osteoarthritis.
- In vitro phonophoresis: effect of ultrasound intensity and mode at high frequency on NSAIDs transport across cellulose and rabbit skin membranesM M Meshali
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Pharmazie 63:49-53. 2008..This study demonstrated the therapeutic potential of ultrasound in transdermal delivery of NSAIDs and the synergistic effect of temperature and ultrasound operational parameters on drug transport...
- Effect of gel composition and phonophoresis on the transdermal delivery of ibuprofen: in vitro and in vivo evaluationMahasen Meshali
Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Pharm Dev Technol 16:93-101. 2011..Nonetheless, in addition to ultrasound, the composition of the gel is expected to have a significant effect on the transdermal delivery of drugs...
- The effects of pressure release, phonophoresis of hydrocortisone, and ultrasound on upper trapezius latent myofascial trigger pointJavad Sarrafzadeh
Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 93:72-7. 2012To compare the effects of pressure release (PR), phonophoresis of hydrocortisone (PhH) 1%, and ultrasonic therapy (UT) in patients with an upper trapezius latent myofascial trigger point (MTP).
- Phonophoresis versus ultrasound in the treatment of common musculoskeletal conditionsM D Klaiman
Rehabilitation Medicine Department, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 30:1349-55. 1998The purpose of this study was to determine whether the pain response after phonophoresis (PH) differs from the pain response after ultrasound (US) alone.
- Phonophoresis and the absorption of dexamethasone in the presence of an occlusive dressingSusan Saliba
Athletic Training and Sports Medicine, University of Virginia, 210 Emmet Street South, PO Box 400407, Charlottesville, VA 22904 4269, USA
J Athl Train 42:349-54. 2007b>Phonophoresis is purported to represent a method to apply topical medications through the skin to treat soft tissue injuries and inflammatory conditions. Few data are available to demonstrate the clinical effectiveness of the treatment.
- Effects of therapeutic pulsed ultrasound and dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO) phonophoresis on parameters of oxidative stress in traumatized musclePaulo C L Silveira
Laboratório de Fisiologia e Bioquímica do Exercício PPGCS UNESC Criciúma, SC Brazil
Ultrasound Med Biol 36:44-50. 2010..b>Phonophoresis aims to achieve therapeutically relevant concentrations of the transdermally introduced drug in the tissues ..
- Effects of phonophoresis with Arnica montana onto acute inflammatory process in rat skeletal muscles: an experimental studyPatrícia P Alfredo
Postgraduate Program, Department of Speech, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Medicine School, University of Sao Paulo, Gioconda Mussolini 23, Edif Felipe apto 11, Jardim Risso, 05587 120 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Ultrasonics 49:466-71. 2009This study aimed at verifying the effects of phonophoresis associated with Arnica montana on the acute phase of an inflammatory muscle lesion...
- Comparison of effects of phonophoresis and iontophoresis of naproxen in the treatment of lateral epicondylitisFerdi Baskurt
Dokuz Eylul University School of Physical Therapy, Izmir, Turkey
Clin Rehabil 17:96-100. 2003The aim of this study was to compare the effectiveness of naproxen (10%) applied by topical iontophoresis or by phonophoresis in the treatment of lateral epicondylitis.
- Effects of ultrasound and diclofenac phonophoresis on inflammatory pain relief: suppression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in arthritic ratsYueh Ling Hsieh
Department of Physical Therapy, Hung Kuang University, Taichung, 34, Chung Chie Road, Sha Lu, Taichung 433, Taiwan, Republic of China
Phys Ther 86:39-49. 2006The direct effects of ultrasound (US) and phonophoresis of a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) on injured peripheral tissue have been widely investigated, but evidence concerning the effects of central spinal nociceptive ..
- Phonophoresis versus topical application of ketoprofen: comparison between tissue and plasma levelsBarbara Cagnie
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences and Physical Therapy, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, 6K3, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Phys Ther 83:707-12. 2003..of ultrasound has been attempted to enhance transdermal transport of several drugs, a method referred to as "phonophoresis." The purposes of this study were to examine the influence of ultrasound on the transdermal delivery of ..
- Transdermal delivery system of triamcinolone acetonide from a gel using phonophoresisJae Heon Yang
Department of Pharmacy, Woosuk University, Samrye 565 701, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 29:412-7. 2006..the transdermal delivery system for TA, a hydrophilic carbopol gel containing TA was prepared after adopting phonophoresis. A permeation study through mouse skin was performed at 37 degrees C using a Franz diffusion cell, and the ..
- Comparative study of the efficacy of the topical application of hydrocortisone, therapeutic ultrasound and phonophoresis on the tissue repair process in rat tendonsPaulo Umeno Koeke
Program of Post Graduation Interunits in Bioengineering, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ultrasound Med Biol 31:345-50. 2005..to compare the treatment efficacy of topical application of hydrocortisone, therapeutic ultrasound (US) and phonophoresis on the rat's Achilles tendon (tendo calcaneus) repair process after tenotomy...
- Enhancing transdermal drug transport with low-frequency ultrasoundKa Yun Ng
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Department of Pharmaceutical, 4200 East 9th Avenue, C 238, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Drug Discov Today 9:913. 2004
- Ultrasound, microbubbles and the blood-brain barrierStephen Meairs
Department of Neurology, Universitatsklinikum Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, 68167 Mannheim, Germany
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 93:354-62. 2007..It also discusses possible roles of the BBB in brain disease and potential interactions with ultrasound and microbubbles in such disease states...
- Sonophoresis-mechanisms and applicationEdina Vranić
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sarajevo, Cekalusa 90, Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosn J Basic Med Sci 4:25-32. 2004..One of them is sonophoresis (phonophoresis)...
- Influence of ultrasound on the percutaneous absorption of ketorolac tromethamine in vitro across rat skinSandip B Tiwari
Department of Novel Drug Delivery Systems, Zydus Research Centre, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Drug Deliv 11:47-51. 2004..Pretreatment of skin by 5% d-limonene in ethanol for 2 hr followed by sonication at 3 W/cm2 (30 min) significantly enhanced the permeation of ketorolac when compared with passive flux with or without enhancer pretreatment...
- Low-frequency sonophoresis: ultrastructural basis for stratum corneum permeability assessed using quantum dotsSumit Paliwal
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
J Invest Dermatol 126:1095-101. 2006..This contention is consistent with previously conceived theoretical mechanistic understanding of LFS-induced enhanced transport across the skin...
- Dependence of low-frequency sonophoresis on ultrasound parameters; distance of the horn and intensityT Terahara
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology E25 342, 45 Carlton St, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Int J Pharm 235:35-42. 2002..Overall, the dependence of transport on ultrasound parameters is similar to that of aluminum foil pitting. These results support the role of cavitation in low-frequency sonophoresis...
- Application of liposomes to sonoporationJunru Wu
Department of Physics, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405 0125, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 32:429-37. 2006..2 MHz (the in situ spatial peak-pressure amplitude = 80 W/cm2) with an efficiency of 13 %. It has been experimentally shown that liposomes may be an alternative stable agent to Optison for delivering macromolecules into cells...
- Nonablative resurfacingRanella J Hirsch
Skincare Doctors, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Facial Plast Surg 20:57-61. 2004..It is also ideally suited for those patients seeking a minimally invasive, greatly reduced downtime procedure...
- Effective tumor treatment using optimized ultrasound-mediated delivery of bleomycinJohn O Larkin
Cork Cancer Research Centre, Leslie C Quick Laboratory, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Ultrasound Med Biol 34:406-13. 2008..This technique could be used with focused ultrasound or with endoscopic ultrasound probes to develop a localized and effective anticancer treatment with little or no systemic toxicity. (E-mail: Geraldc@ccrc.ie)...
- Shear stress in cells generated by ultrasoundJunru Wu
Department of Physics, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 93:363-73. 2007..Numerical calculations have shown that shear stress associated with microstreaming surrounding encapsulated bubbles may be large enough to generate sonoporation at 0.1 MPa of 1 or 2 MHz ultrasound...
- [Study of changes in the enzyme-salt composition affecting the permeability of ocular tissues under infrasound phonophoresis]V V Filatov
Vestn Oftalmol 121:26-8. 2005This paper deals with the study of infrasound phonophoresis-induced changes in biochemical factors, which affect the permeability of eyeball tissues...
- Determination of sensitive electrophysiologic parameters at follow-up of different steroid treatments of carpal tunnel syndromeRecep Aygul
Department of Neurology, Ataturk University Faculty of Medicine, Erzurum, Turkey
J Clin Neurophysiol 22:222-30. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of local corticosteroid injection, phonophoresis, and iontophoresis for the treatment of CTS, and to evaluate the most sensitive electrophysiologic parameters ..
- Is there a role for ultrasound and electrical stimulation following injury to tendon and nerve?Susan L Michlovitz
Department of Physical Therapy, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
J Hand Ther 18:292-6. 2005..with dexamethasone sodium phosphate can relieve pain in acute elbow tendonitis, but there is no support for phonophoresis for any tendonitis...
- Rotator cuff impingementMario Pribicevic
Macquarie University, Ryde, NSW, Australia
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 27:580-90. 2004..To present a case of shoulder impingement syndrome managed with a conservative multimodal treatment approach...
- [Prophylactics and treatment of pyo-inflammatory complications after appendectomy]A E Borisov
Vestn Khir Im I I Grek 163:53-5. 2004..in the wound after operation of appendectomy with the help of mid-frequency ultrasound with dioxidin as phonophoresis allows to make suppurations in the postoperative patients 5...
- Prediction of ultrasound-mediated disruption of cell membranes using machine learning techniques and statistical analysis of acoustic spectraEva K Lee
Department of Radiation Oncology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:82-9. 2004..These rules and the methods used to derive them could be used for real-time feedback about ultrasound's biological effects...
- Pulsed high-intensity focused ultrasound enhances uptake of radiolabeled monoclonal antibody to human epidermoid tumor in nude miceAlfia Khaibullina
Department of Radiology, Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Nucl Med 49:295-302. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine if pulsed high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) exposures could enhance tumor uptake of (111)In-MX-B3, a murine IgG1kappa monoclonal antibody directed against the Le(y) antigen...
- Transdermal approaches to pain in sports injury managementDelmas J Bolin
The Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Virginia Tech Sports Medicine, 112 Merryman Center, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Curr Sports Med Rep 2:303-9. 2003..These include cryotherapy, laser treatments, electrical stimulation, ultrasound and phonophoresis, extracorporeal shock wave therapy, and iontophoresis...
- An introduction to physical therapy modalitiesBrenda L Chapman
Sports Medicine Clinic, Western Michigan University, 1903 West Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49008 5445, USA
Adolesc Med State Art Rev 18:11-23, vii-viii. 2007..The commonly used modalities reviewed here include heat, cold, ultrasound, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, and electrical stimulation...
- Treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis using erythromycin phonophoresisNoureddin Nakhostin Ansari
Department of Physiotherapy, School of Rehabilitation, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Physiother Theory Pract 29:159-65. 2013..ultrasound enhances the breakdown of bacterial biofilms and is clinically effective in CRS treatment, while phonophoresis has also been utilized for antibiotic delivery through the skin...
- Management of chronic tendon injuriesMarc A Childress
Fort Belvoir Community Hospital, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060, USA
Am Fam Physician 87:486-90. 2013..Other modalities such as prolotherapy, topical nitroglycerin, iontophoresis, phonophoresis, therapeutic ultrasound, extracorporeal shock wave therapy, and low-level laser therapy have less evidence of ..
- Is phonophoresis effective in the treatment of chronic low back pain? A single-blind randomized controlled trialDilek Durmus
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical Faculty, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 33:1737-44. 2013The aim of this trial is to investigate and compare the effects of phonophoresis (PP) and ultrasound (US) therapy on pain, disability, trunk muscle strength, walking performance, spinal mobility, quality of life (QOL), and depression in ..
- The effect of sonophoresis on topical anesthesia: a pilot projectJoseph L Packer
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry, Loma Linda, California, USA
Anesth Prog 60:37-41. 2013..Subjects rated their discomfort after needle punctures utilizing the visual analog scale pain scoring system. There was no statistically significant difference in the pain perception using the DASD versus the control device...
- Paclitaxel-liposome-microbubble complexes as ultrasound-triggered therapeutic drug delivery carriersFei Yan
Paul C Lauterbur Research Center for Biomedical Imaging, Institute of Biomedical and Health Engineering, Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shenzhen 518055, China
J Control Release 166:246-55. 2013..The significant increase in an antitumor efficacy of PLMC plus US suggests their potential use as a new targeted US chemotherapeutic approach to inhibit breast cancer growth...
- Effect of therapeutic modalities on patients with patellofemoral pain syndrome: a systematic reviewDavid A Lake
Department of Physical Therapy, Armstrong Atlantic State University, Savannah, Georgia
Sports Health 3:182-9. 2011..modalities have been recommended for the treatment of patients with PFPS-including cold, ultrasound, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, neuromuscular electrical stimulation, electrical stimulation for pain control, ..
- Alleviation of Abeta-induced cognitive impairment by ultrasound-mediated gene transfer of HGF in a mouse modelD Takeuchi
Department of Clinical Gene Therapy, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Yamadaoka, Suita, Japan
Gene Ther 15:561-71. 2008..A pharmacological approach including gene therapy to increase the HGF level in combination with anti-Abeta therapy might be a new therapeutic option for the treatment of AD...
- The role of phonophoresis in dyshpagia due to cervical osteophytesZeliha Unlu
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Int J Gen Med 1:11-3. 2009..Physical therapy with its advantages may be an alternative method in the treatment, which was not reported previously...
- Temporomandibular joint disordersJennifer J Buescher
Clarkson Family Medicine Residency, Omaha, Nebraska 68131, USA
Am Fam Physician 76:1477-82. 2007..Physical therapy modalities (e.g., iontophoresis, phonophoresis), psychological therapies (e.g...
- Transcutaneous immunisation assisted by low-frequency ultrasoundAfendi Dahlan
Department of Pharmaceutics, The School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AX, UK
Int J Pharm 368:123-8. 2009....
- Therapeutic modalities--an updated review for the hand surgeonTristan L Hartzell
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Box 9569902, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 6902, USA
J Hand Surg Am 37:597-621. 2012..on heat, massage, and cold therapy now uses electrical stimulators, ultrasound, biofeedback, iontophoresis, phonophoresis, mirror therapy, lasers, and a number of other modalities...
- Ultrasound-enhanced intrascleral delivery of proteinAlex Chi Yeung Cheung
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong, China
Int J Pharm 401:16-24. 2010..05W/cm(2)), suggest that cavitation is a possible mechanism for increasing the permeability of the sclera for diffusive transport...
- Ultrasound-mediated transdermal drug delivery: mechanisms, scope, and emerging trendsBaris E Polat
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J Control Release 152:330-48. 2011The use of ultrasound for the delivery of drugs to, or through, the skin is commonly known as sonophoresis or phonophoresis. The use of therapeutic and high frequencies of ultrasound (≥0...
- Comparison of ultrasound and ketoprofen phonophoresis in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndromeNecmettin Yildiz
Pamukkale University Medical School, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Denizli, Turkey
J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil 24:39-47. 2011The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of ultrasound (US) and ketoprofen phonophoresis (PH) in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).
- [Investigation in vivo of effect of ultrasound-mediated microbubble destruction on entrance of feridex into the aortal wall]Wen qing Gao
Department of Radiology, Peking University Third Hospital, Beijing 100083, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 89:2797-801. 2009..To explore feasibility for entrance of the contrast agent Sonovue and Feridex into the aortal wall...
- Localized ultrasound enhances delivery of rapamycin from microbubbles to prevent smooth muscle proliferationLinsey C Phillips
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Control Release 154:42-9. 2011..The anti-proliferative effect was also localized within a 6mm wide zone by focusing the ultrasound beam...
- The anesthetic effect of lidocaine after varying times of phonophoresisLuke Donovan
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 90:1056-63. 2011This study aimed to determine the anesthetic effect of 1-MHz phonophoresis using lidocaine on the anterior forearm following 5- and 10-min interventions.
- The efficacy of phonophoresis on electrophysiological studies of the patients with carpal tunnel syndromeFeray Soyupek
Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 32:3235-42. 2012To investigate the efficacy of phonophoresis with nonsteroid anti-inflammatory drugs (P-NSAID) and corticosteroids (P-CS) in the treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) and to compare the efficacy of phonophoresis with local CS ..
- Low frequency sonophoresis mediated transdermal and intradermal delivery of ketoprofenAnushree Herwadkar
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Mercer University, Atlanta, GA, United States
Int J Pharm 423:289-96. 2012..Low frequency sonophoresis with optimized ultrasound parameters can be effectively used to actively enhance transdermal and topical delivery of ketoprofen...
- Use of iontophoresis or phonophoresis for delivering onabotulinumtoxinA in the treatment of palmar hyperidrosis: a report on four casesPatrícia Cristina Andrade
Herminio Ometto University Center, UNIARARAS, Araras, SP, Brazil
An Bras Dermatol 86:1243-6. 2011..Drugs such as onabotulinumtoxinA can be percutaneously delivered by phonophoresis or by iontophoresis and may be useful in the treatment of hyperhidrosis...
- The correlation between acoustic cavitation and sonoporation involved in ultrasound-mediated DNA transfection with polyethylenimine (PEI) in vitroYuanyuan Qiu
Nanjing University, Jiangsu, PR China
J Control Release 145:40-8. 2010....
- A survey of therapeutic ultrasound use by physical therapists who are orthopaedic certified specialistsRita A Wong
Department of Physical Therapy, Marymount University, 2807 N Glebe Rd, Arlington, VA 22207, USA
Phys Ther 87:986-94. 2007..This study examined the opinions of physical therapists with advanced competency in orthopedics about the use and perceived clinical importance of US in managing commonly encountered orthopedic impairments...
- Is there evidence that phonophoresis is more effective than ultrasound in treating pain associated with lateral epicondylitis?Terri Hoppenrath
Department of Physical Therapy, Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY, USA
Phys Ther 86:136-40. 2006
- Overcoming the stratum corneum: the modulation of skin penetration. A reviewH Trommer
School of Pharmacy, Institute of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, Martin Luther University, Halle, Germany
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 19:106-21. 2006..to chemical methods, skin penetration of drugs can be improved by physical options such as iontophoresis and phonophoresis, as well as by combinations of both chemical and physical methods or by combinations of several physical ..
- Tolerance of low-frequency ultrasound sonophoresis: a double-blind randomized study on humansAnnabel Maruani
University François Rabelais Tours, Inserm U930 Tours, Service de Dermatologie, CHRU Tours, France
Skin Res Technol 18:151-6. 2012..Sonophoresis [low-frequency ultrasound (US)] has been used in animals and in vitro to investigate enhanced percutaneous absorption of drugs. No study focused on its clinical human tolerance has been published as yet...
- Ultrasound-enhanced transcorneal drug deliveryVesna Zderic
Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Cornea 23:804-11. 2004..Here, we report on our investigation of the mechanisms of ultrasound-enhanced drug delivery through the cornea using light and electron microscopy...
- Delivery of an angiogenic gene into ischemic muscle by novel bubble liposomes followed by ultrasound exposureYoichi Negishi
Department of Drug and Gene Delivery Systems School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Sciences, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo, 192 0392, Japan
Pharm Res 28:712-9. 2011....
- Comparative study of the topical application of Aloe vera gel, therapeutic ultrasound and phonophoresis on the tissue repair in collagenase-induced rat tendinitisAntonio Luiz Martins Maia Filho
Faculdade Integral Diferencial, FACID, Teresina, Piaui, Brazil
Ultrasound Med Biol 36:1682-90. 2010The aim of our study was to compare topical use of Aloe vera gel, pulsed mode ultrasound (US) and Aloe vera phonophoresis on rat paw with collagenase-induced tendinitis...
- Therapy after injury to the handErik Dorf
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 18:464-73. 2010..Modalities used to manage hand injuries include ultrasound, splinting, Fluidotherapy (Chattanooga Group, Chattanooga, TN), cryotherapy, various electrical modalities, phonophoresis, and iontophoresis.
- Low-frequency sonophoresis: pathologic and thermal effects in dogsA J Singer
Department of Emergency Medicine, State University of New York, University Medical Center, Stony Brook, NY, USA
Acad Emerg Med 5:35-40. 1998..Prior to human trials, the authors studied the safety profile of low-frequency sonophoresis in dogs by evaluating microscopic and temperature changes in the skin after sonophoresis...
- [Deep Relief sonophoresis in degenerative changes of the knee joint]Nada Zjuzin
Medicinski fakultet Sarajevo
Med Arh 58:279-81. 2004..Deep Relief has significant better effect for less pain and better improvement of functional capacity in comparison with ultrasound. Results of examination are statistic significant...
- Topical delivery of active principles: the field of dermatological researchMassimiliano Nino
Department of Systematic Pathology, Section of Dermatology, Naples, Italy
Dermatol Online J 16:4. 2010..Recent development of these methods are here reported and underline the importance and role of vehicles and other factors that determine effects of partition and diffusion, crucial to absorption...
- Comparison the efficacy of phonophoresis and ultrasound therapy in myofascial pain syndromeSaime Ay
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ufuk University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 31:1203-8. 2011The aim of this study is to compare the effect of phonophoresis, ultrasound and placebo ultrasound therapies in the treatment of myofascial pain syndrome (MPS). This is a randomized, double-blind placebo controlled study...
- Effects of ultrasound and sodium lauryl sulfate on the transdermal delivery of hydrophilic permeants: Comparative in vitro studies with full-thickness and split-thickness pig and human skinJennifer E Seto
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J Control Release 145:26-32. 2010....
- Topical delivery of anti-sense oligonucleotides using low-frequency sonophoresisAhmet Tezel
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Pharm Res 21:2219-25. 2004..Herein, we assessed the potential of low-frequency ultrasound (20 kHz, 2.4 W/cm2) in delivering therapeutically significant quantities of anti-sense oligonucleotides into skin...
- Low-frequency sonophoresis: application to the transdermal delivery of macromolecules and hydrophilic drugsBaris E Polat
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Chemical Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Expert Opin Drug Deliv 7:1415-32. 2010..In vivo studies have also established that LFS can act as a physical immunization adjuvant. LFS technology is already clinically available for use with topical anesthetics, with other technologies currently under investigation...
- Heel pain and phonophoresisMilind M Deshpande
Vivekanand General Hospital, Hubli 580029
J Indian Med Assoc 108:365. 2010A review of 25 cases of heel pain treated conservatively with phonophoresis, using the anti-inflammatory gel containing a combination of flufenamic acid, salicylic acid and mucopolysaccharide polysulphate is being reported here...
- Structure-activity relationship of chemical penetration enhancers in transdermal drug deliveryN Kanikkannan
College of Pharmacy, Florida A and M University, Tallahassee, FL 32307, USA
Curr Med Chem 7:593-608. 2000..skin can be enhanced by physical methods such as iontophoresis (application of low level electric current) and phonophoresis (use of ultra sound energy) and by chemical penetration enhancers (CPE)...
- Theoretical description of transdermal transport of hydrophilic permeants: application to low-frequency sonophoresisH Tang
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Pharm Sci 90:545-68. 2001..The observed different roles of convection during LFS across HSS and FTS can be attributed to the different degrees of structural alteration that these two types of skin undergo during LFS...
- An experimental and theoretical analysis of ultrasound-induced permeabilization of cell membranesJagannathan Sundaram
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106, USA
Biophys J 84:3087-101. 2003..For each mechanism, the volume around the bubble within which bubbles induce reversible and irreversible membrane permeabilization was determined. Predictions of the model are consistent with experimental data...
- Ultrasound-mediated transdermal in vivo transport of insulin with low-profile cymbal arraysNadine Barrie Smith
Department of Bioengineering and Graduate Program in Acoustics, College of Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Ultrasound Med Biol 29:1205-10. 2003....
- The devil's in the detailsPeter C Panus
Phys Ther 83:1128-9; author reply 1129. 2003
- Review of traditional and novel modalities that enhance the permeability of local therapeutics across the stratum corneumWilliam W Ting
Department of Dermatology, University of Iowa College of Medicine University of Iowa Health Care, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Int J Dermatol 43:538-47. 2004
- Emerging technologies in transdermal therapeuticsVictor M Meidan
Laboratory for Drug Delivery, Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, 111 Lock Street, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Am J Ther 11:312-6. 2004..This article sequentially reviews the basis of each of the new enhancement techniques and discusses how these emerging technologies will influence transdermal therapy in the coming years...
- [Usage of a chondroxide ointment in the treatment of patients with spinal osteochondrosis]O N Shepetova
Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova 104:64-5. 2004
- Experimental demonstration of the existence of highly permeable localized transport regions in low-frequency sonophoresisJoseph Kushner
Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Pharm Sci 93:2733-45. 2004..Finally, an analysis of the porosity/tortuosity ratio (epsilon/tau) values suggests that trans-cellular transdermal transport pathways are present within the highly permeable, and highly structurally perturbed, LTRs...
- Sonoporation of endothelial cells by vibrating targeted microbubblesKlazina Kooiman
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Thoraxcenter, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Control Release 154:35-41. 2011..This study shows that targeted microbubbles can also be used to induce sonoporation, thus making it possible to combine molecular imaging and drug delivery...
- Drug delivery into the eye with the use of ultrasoundVesna Zderic
Center for Industrial and Medical Ultrasound, Applied Physics Laboratory, University of Washington, 1013 NE 40th St, Seattle, WA 98105 USA
J Ultrasound Med 23:1349-59. 2004..To evaluate ultrasound enhancement of drug delivery through the cornea and the histologic appearance of the cornea up to 24 hours after treatment...
- Sonophoresis: a 50-year journeySamir Mitragotri
Drug Discov Today 9:735-6. 2004
- Anti-inflammatory effects by transdermal application of triamcinolone acetonide gel using phonophoresis in ratsJae Heon Yang
Department of Pharmacy, Woosuk University, Samrye 565 701, Korea
Int J Pharm 302:39-46. 2005..delivery of triamcinolone acetonide (TA), which is one of the synthetic glucocorticoids, in conjunction with phonophoresis, and to develop the carbopol gels of TA...
- Evaluation of histologic and electron microscopic changes after novel treatment using combined microdermabrasion and ultrasound-induced phonophoresis of human skinJacob Dudelzak
Skin Laser and Surgery Specialists of NY and NJ, New York, New York, USA
J Cosmet Laser Ther 10:187-92. 2008..b>Phonophoresis, a method of electrically assisted percutaneous delivery of macromolecules, relies on ultrasonic waves ..
- Modulation control over ultrasound-mediated gene delivery: evaluating the importance of standing wavesMariame A Hassan
Department of Radiological Sciences, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical, Sciences, University of Toyama, Sugitani 2630, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
J Control Release 141:70-6. 2010....
- Nitric oxide delivery by ultrasonic cracking: some limitationsMichiel Postema
Institute for Medical Engineering, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Building IC, 6 146, D 44780 Bochum, Germany
Ultrasonics 44:e109-13. 2006..This indicates that ultrasonic cracking mostly occurs during the expansion phase...
- The physical therapy prescriptionScott E Rand
Conroe Medical Education Foundation, Conroe, TX, USA
Am Fam Physician 76:1661-6. 2007..A physical therapy prescription should include the diagnosis; type, frequency, and duration of the prescribed therapy; goals of therapy; and safety precautions...
- Effects of shear stress on endothelial cells: possible relevance for ultrasound applicationsE Vanbavel
Department of Medical Physics, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, PO Box 22660, 1100 DD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Prog Biophys Mol Biol 93:374-83. 2007..Apart from safety concerns, such effects may provide a base for strategies aimed at targeted delivery of drugs...
- Evaluation of factors influencing the quality and efficacy of ultrasound and phonophoresis treatmentBarbara Goraj-Szczypiorowska
STOCER Prof M Weissa Rehabilitation Centre, Konstancin Jeziorna
Ortop Traumatol Rehabil 9:449-58. 2007..Despite a wide usage of phonophoresis in physical therapy cabinets, doubts persist as to the relevance and efficacy of this method...
- In vitro ultrasound-mediated leakage from phospholipid vesiclesMona Pong
Chemical Engineering Department, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19104, United States
Ultrasonics 45:133-45. 2006..The results of this work might be helpful to optimize acoustic field and membrane parameters for gene or drug delivery. The outcome of this work might also be useful in wound management...
- Rectangular cymbal arrays for improved ultrasonic transdermal insulin deliveryJoseph Luis
Graduate Program in Acoustics, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 122:2022-30. 2007..However, using the rectangular cymbal array, the glucose decreased faster and to a level of -200.8+/-5.9 mgdl after 90 min. These results indicated the feasibility of the rectangular cymbal array as an improved device for drug delivery...
- Rehabilitation of synovitis in patients with haemophiliaA Seuser
Orthopaedic Department, Kaiser Karl Klinik, Special Hospital for Rehabilitation Medicine, Bonn, Germany
Haemophilia 13:26-31. 2007..with CO(2), and CP current after Bernhard should be used, if appropriate in combination with ultrasound and phonophoresis with Voltaren [Voltarol] Emulgel...
- Comparison of the therapeutic efficacy of phonophoresis and iontophoresis using dexamethasone sodium phosphate in the management of patients with knee osteoarthritisS R A Akinbo
Department of Physiotherapy, College of Medicine University of Lagos
Niger Postgrad Med J 14:190-4. 2007..like, heat therapy, exercise therapy, electrical stimulation, therapeutic ultrasound, iontophoresis, and phonophoresis. This study was therefore designed to compare the effectiveness of 0...
- [Efficacy of ibuprofen (nurofen gel) ultraphonophoresis for pain relief in osteoarthrosis]N P Serikov
Ter Arkh 79:79-81. 2007..Thus, our study supports anesthetic efficacy of transcutaneous 5% gel nurofen in osteoarthrosis and a rise of this efficacy in combined use of ultrasound and this medicine in ultraphonophoresis...
- Iliotibial band friction syndrome--a systematic reviewRichard Ellis
Health Rehabilitation Research Centre, Division of Rehabilitation and Occupation Studies, Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand
Man Ther 12:200-8. 2007..examined included the use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), deep friction massage, phonophoresis versus immobilization and corticosteroid injection...
- Anesthetic effects of lidocaine hydrochloride gel using low frequency ultrasound of 0.5 MHzTae Youl Kim
Department of Physical Therapy, Dongshin University, Naju 520 714, Korea
J Pharm Pharm Sci 10:1-8. 2007..0.5 MHz ultrasound, which is a relatively higher frequency in the low-frequency range, can be applied in high intensity in continuous mode...
- Theme section: transdermal delivery of proteinsAjay K Banga
Pharm Res 24:1357-9. 2007
- Ultrasonic assessment of therapeutic responseKatherine W Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2010..Further, we are developing methods to enhance therapeutic efficacy using ultrasound by enhancing the accumulation of drug within the tumor. ..
- Prostate Cancer Prevention by Pachymic AcidLawrence Ng; Fiscal Year: 2006..Through this study, it is anticipated that the potential of PA as a novel and safe agent for treatment or prevention against prostate cancer will be identified. ..
- CONTRAST ASSISTED ULTRASOUND IMAGING OF TUMORSKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2006..Since these hydrophobic drugs are now suspended in Cremophor for human use, a final aim is to develop acoustically-activated drug delivery vehicles that provide an alternative to the toxicity of Cremophor. ..
- Cutaneous Gene Therapy with Ultrasound: DNA VaccinationSamir Mitragotri; Fiscal Year: 2006..3. Using an in vitro model, Epiderm, and in vivo mouse model, assess safety of skin exposure to low-frequency ultrasound. ..
- Engineering Approaches to Molecular Imaging TrainingKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Ultrasound Imaging and Local Drug Delivery in TumorsKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will initially develop these drug delivery strategies for the unique environment of tumors, although the techniques should have broad application. ..
- Ultrasound Imaging and Local Drug Delivery in TumorsKatherine W Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Ultrasonic assessment of therapeutic responseKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2009..Further, we are developing methods to enhance therapeutic efficacy using ultrasound by enhancing the accumulation of drug within the tumor. ..
- Ultrasound Imaging and Local Drug Delivery in TumorsKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2009..In the renewal, we will develop infrastructure and protocols for successful image- guided drug delivery in models of head and neck and metastatic breast cancer. ..
- High Resolution Ultrasound cancer ImagingKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will test the performance and safety of the system for cancer imaging through in vitro and in vivo studies. ..
- High Resolution Ultrasound cancer ImagingKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will test the performance and safety of the system for cancer imaging through in vitro and in vivo studies. ..
- A Novel and Non-Invasive Method of Dermal SamplingSamir Mitragotri; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- BRAIN THERAPY USING ULTRASOUND MEDIATED DRUG DELIVERYLawrence Ng; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- HIGH RESOLUTION BLOOD FLOW MAPPING IN OCULAR TISSUESKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2003..In conjunction with this study, mechanical damage to the vessel wall will be directly assessed through the use of fluorescent markers. ..
- CONTRAST ASSISTED ULTRASOUND IMAGING OF TUMORSKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since these hydrophobic drugs are now suspended in Cremophor for human use, a final aim is to develop acoustically-activated drug delivery vehicles that provide an alternative to the toxicity of Cremophor. ..
- AEROSOL BASED NANOPARTICAL DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM--TBLawrence Ng; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is expected this multidisciplinary approach will provide significant advances in the treatment of TB and other airway diseases in which sustained drug release or targeting AMs would be advantageous. ..
- CONTRAST ASSISTED ULTRASOUND IMAGING OF TUMORSKatherine Ferrara; Fiscal Year: 2002..These new methods will be evaluated in phantoms, through intravital microscopy in an ischemic rat model, and in a final comparative study of four mouse tumor cell lines and a benign fibroadenoma model. ..