Genomes and Genes
Summary: Therapeutic introduction of ions of soluble salts into tissues by means of electric current. In medical literature it is commonly used to indicate the process of increasing the penetration of drugs into surface tissues by the application of electric current. It has nothing to do with ION EXCHANGE; AIR IONIZATION nor PHONOPHORESIS, none of which requires current.
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- Absorption of iontophoresis-driven 2% lidocaine with epinephrine in the tissues at 5 mm below the surface of the skinDavid O Draper
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, USA
J Athl Train 46:277-81. 2011In a recent study, we were unable to measure lidocaine in the human calf at a 5-mm depth via iontophoresis. We surmised that this might be due to a lack of epinephrine in the compound...
- Muscle synergies encoded within the spinal cord: evidence from focal intraspinal NMDA iontophoresis in the frogP Saltiel
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Neurophysiol 85:605-19. 2001..These findings are contrasted with previous approaches to the problem of synergies...
- Iontophoresis in vivo demonstrates a key role for GABA(A) and glycinergic inhibition in shaping frequency response areas in the inferior colliculus of guinea pigF E LeBeau
Department of Physiological Sciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 21:7303-12. 2001..We used the powerful combination of iontophoresis with detailed analysis of frequency response areas to test the hypothesis that GABAergic and glycinergic ..
- Non-invasive assessment of skin microvascular function in humans: an insight into methodsMatthieu Roustit
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, INSERM CIC03, Grenoble University Hospital, Grenoble, France
Microcirculation 19:47-64. 2012..Acetylcholine and sodium nitroprusside iontophoresis, despite their wide use as specific tests of endothelium-dependent and -independent function, respectively, ..
- C-fiber function assessed by the laser doppler imager flare technique and acetylcholine iontophoresisAlistair Q Green
The Diabetes Centre, Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust, Heath Road, Ipswich IP4 5PD, UK
Muscle Nerve 40:985-91. 2009Vasodilation induced by both acetylcholine iontophoresis (ACh Ionto) and the laser Doppler flare technique (LDIFT) can be used to measure small-fiber function. The aim of this study was to compare the neurogenic nature of these methods...
- Noninvasive assessment of endothelial function in the skin microcirculationHaythem Debbabi
Department of Non Invasive Investigations, Cardiovascular Research Centre, PARCC Inserm U970, Lariboisiere Hospital, Paris, France
Am J Hypertens 23:541-6. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine whether the laser Doppler response of skin microcirculation to acetylcholine, reflects that of conduit artery assessed by brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (FMD)...
- Current concepts in assessment of microvascular endothelial function using laser Doppler imaging and iontophoresisJamie Turner
University Division of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, DD1 9SY Scotland, UK
Trends Cardiovasc Med 18:109-16. 2008..developed, including the use of laser Doppler flowmetry/imaging to measure cutaneous perfusion accompanied by iontophoresis of acetylcholine and sodium nitroprusside...
- Methodological issues in the assessment of skin microvascular endothelial function in humansJean Luc Cracowski
Department of Human Physiology, University of Oregon, OR 97403 1240, USA
Trends Pharmacol Sci 27:503-8. 2006..We review the advantages and limitations of postocclusive hyperemia, local thermal hyperemia, acetylcholine iontophoresis, flowmotion and association with microdialysis as tools with which to investigate skin microvascular ..
- Iontophoresis - an approach for controlled drug delivery: a reviewNitin Dixit
Department of Pharmaceutics, Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard University, New Delhi 110062, India
Curr Drug Deliv 4:1-10. 2007..Present review also provides an insight into reverse iontophoresis. Various parameters which affect the transdermal absorption of drugs through iontophoresis like drug ..
- Permeability of the root canal wall and occlusion of dentinal tubules by Ag(NH3)2F: a comparison of combined use with pulsed Nd:YAG laser or iontophoresisK Yokoyama
Department of Endodontics, Showa University School of Dentistry, Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Laser Med Surg 18:9-14. 2000..hardness test to compare the penetration and hardness of silver resulting from use of either (i) pulsed Nd:YAG laser or (ii) iontophoresis, after root canal wall shaping using the standard method of coating with 38% Ag(NH3)2F solution.
- Transdermal iontophoresis as an in-vivo technique for studying microvascular physiologyErik Tesselaar
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden
Microvasc Res 81:88-96. 2011..Transdermal iontophoresis can be used to non-invasively introduce vasoactive drugs into the skin...
- Recurrent HSV-1 corneal epithelial lesions induced by timolol iontophoresis in latently infected rabbitsY Haruta
LSU Eye Center, Louisiana State University Medical Center School of Medicine, New Orleans 70112 2234
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 29:387-92. 1988..virus type 1 (HSV-1) ocular shedding and recurrent corneal epithelial lesions were assessed following ocular iontophoresis of 0.01% timolol at 0...
- Diabetic retinopathy is related to both endothelium-dependent and -independent responses of skin microvascular flowThanh T Nguyen
Centre for Eye Research Australia, Royal Victorian University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Diabetes Care 34:1389-93. 2011..We examined the relationship of DR to endothelium-dependent and endothelium-independent responses in skin microvascular flow...
- Treatment options for hyperhidrosisHobart W Walling
Am J Clin Dermatol 12:285-95. 2011..Options include topical medications (most commonly aluminum chloride), iontophoresis, botulinum toxin injections, systemic medications (including glycopyrrolate and clonidine), and surgery (most ..
- 2% sodium fluoride-iontophoresis compared to a commercially available desensitizing agentPankaj Singal
D A V C Dental College, Periodontics, Yamuna Nagar, Haryana, India
J Periodontol 76:351-7. 2005..Thus, a cycle of sensitive teeth leading to reduced plaque control, more periodontal disease, and more recession may be established...
- Dose-dependent vasodilatory effects of acetylcholine and local warming on skin microcirculationSamuel Christen
Division of Clinical Pathophysiology, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:659-64. 2004..These techniques represent a unique means to investigate noninvasively the functional vasodilatory capacity of the skin microvasculature...
- Inflammatory suppression rapidly attenuates microvascular dysfunction in rheumatoid arthritisDeepankar Datta
Centre for Rheumatic Diseases, Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Atherosclerosis 192:391-5. 2007..This was assessed non-invasively using laser Doppler imaging combined with iontophoresis of the vasodilators acetylcholine (ACh, endothelium dependent) and sodium nitroprusside (SNP, endothelium ..
- Evaluation of the antihistamine effects of olopatadine, cetirizine and fexofenadine during a 24 h period: a double-blind, randomized, crossover, placebo-controlled comparison in skin responses induced by histamine iontophoresisHitoshi Takahashi
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Shimane University, Izumo, Shimane, Japan
Arch Dermatol Res 300:291-5. 2008..placebo-controlled study of ten healthy volunteers on histamine-induced flare and wheal response using an iontophoresis technique. The suppressive effect of olopatadine on the wheals induced by a 0...
- A protocol for iontophoresis of acetylcholine and sodium nitroprusside that minimises nonspecific vasodilatory effectsErik J Droog
The Burns Unit, Department of Hand and Plastic Surgery, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Microvasc Res 67:197-202. 2004b>Iontophoresis of vasoactive substances is a promising tool for studying pharmacological aspects of the (patho)physiology of the microvasculature. However, nonspecific microvascular responses are a common problem in most protocols used...
- Impaired microvascular function in normal children: effects of adiposity and poor glucose handlingFaisel Khan
Vascular Diseases Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK
J Physiol 551:705-11. 2003..Skin microvascular responses, measured using laser Doppler imaging, to iontophoresis of acetylcholine (ACh) and sodium nitroprusside (SNP), were negatively correlated with percentage body fat (r =..
- Effect of chemical enhancers and iontophoresis on thiocolchicoside permeation across rabbit and human skin in vitroMariella Artusi
Dipartimento Farmaceutico, University of Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze 27 A, 43100 Parma, Italy
J Pharm Sci 93:2431-8. 2004..The effect of the chemical enhancer lauric acid and the physical technique of iontophoresis was investigated. Permeation experiments were performed in vitro using rabbit ear skin as barrier...
- Cathodal iontophoresis of treprostinil and iloprost induces a sustained increase in cutaneous flux in ratsS Blaise
INSERM ERI17, Grenoble Medical School, University Grenoble 1, Grenoble, France
Br J Pharmacol 162:557-65. 2011..The objective of this study was to test whether treprostinil, iloprost and epoprostenol can induce sustained vasodilatation in rats when delivered locally using cutaneous iontophoresis.
- A single-blinded comparative study between the use of glycolic acid 70% peel and the use of topical nanosome vitamin C iontophoresis in the treatment of melasmaRehab Mohamed Sobhi
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
J Cosmet Dermatol 11:65-71. 2012..Melasma is a common pigmentary disorder. Despite the availability of a wide range of skin-lightening treatments, melasma of skin remains a therapeutic challenge...
- GABA, not glutamate, controls the activity of substantia nigra reticulata neurons in awake, unrestrained ratsFrancois Windels
Behavioral Neuroscience Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurosci 24:6751-4. 2004..To examine the role of these inputs, single-unit recording was coupled with iontophoresis of GLU and GABA in rats under two conditions: awake, unrestrained and under chloral hydrate anesthesia...
- Effect of lactic acid and iontophoresis on drug permeation across rabbit ear skinP Sebastiani
Dipartimento Farmaceutico, University of Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze, 43100 Parma, Italy
Int J Pharm 292:119-26. 2005..We also explored the association of lactic acid and iontophoresis as a means of enhancing drug delivery...
- Current-induced vasodilation during water iontophoresis (5 min, 0.10 mA) is delayed from current onset and involves aspirin sensitive mechanismsS Durand
Laboratory of Physiology, University Hospital, Angers, France
J Vasc Res 39:59-71. 2002Study of the microcirculation by iontophoresis is potentially confounded by any non-specific effects of current application...
- Lidocaine transport through a cellophane membrane by alternating current iontophoresis with a duty cycleShizuka Hayashi
Section of Anesthesiology and Clinical Physiology, Department of Oral Restitution, Division of Oral Health Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45, Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Bioelectrochemistry 74:315-22. 2009..The higher voltages and duty cycles induced a pH change. The practical electrical conditions which are preferable for clinical application were 10 V with a 70% duty cycle or 20 V with a 60% duty cycle...
- Evaluation of a low-dose lidocaine iontophoresis system for topical anesthesia in adults and children: a randomized, controlled trialWilliam T Zempsky
University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Connecticut Children s Medical Center, Hartford, CT 06106, USA
Clin Ther 26:1110-9. 2004..A new low-dose lidocaine iontophoresis system (LDLIS) may provide topical anesthesia in 10 minutes at a lower dose than previous systems, thereby ..
- Effect and persistency of botulinum toxin iontophoresis in the treatment of palmar hyperhidrosisSanaz Davarian
Faculty of Rehabilitation, Shaheed Beheshti Medical University, Tehran, Iran
Australas J Dermatol 49:75-9. 2008The purpose of this study was to investigate the efficacy and persistence of the hypohidrosis induced by iontophoresis of botulinum toxin type A in patients with palmar hyperhidrosis...
- Magnetic resonance imaging study of current and ion delivery into the eye during transscleral and transcorneal iontophoresisS Kevin Li
Department of Pharmaceutics, Utah Center for Advanced Imaging Research Radiology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:1224-31. 2004..to determine by nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) the target sites of ion delivery in the eye during iontophoresis, compare transscleral and transcorneal ocular iontophoresis, and monitor the distribution of a probe ion in ..
- Beta-blockade with nebivolol enhances the acetylcholine-induced cutaneous vasodilationS Kubli
Division of Clinical Pathophysiology and Medical Teaching, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Pharmacol Ther 69:238-44. 2001..and 3 hours after drug administration, the forearm skin blood flow response to acetylcholine applied by iontophoresis was determined with the use of a laser Doppler scanner imaging system...
- Prostaglandins participate in the late phase of the vascular response to acetylcholine iontophoresis in humansS Durand
Laboratory of Vascular Investigations, University Hospital, 49033 Angers Cedex, France
J Physiol 561:811-9. 2004The participation of prostaglandins (PGs) in the cutaneous vasodilatation to acetylcholine (ACh) applied via iontophoresis is under debate...
- Simultaneous, noninvasive, and transdermal extraction of urea and homocysteine by reverse iontophoresisCongo Tak Shing Ching
Graduate Institute of Biomedicine and Biomedical Technology, National Chi Nan University, Nantou, Taiwan
Int J Nanomedicine 6:417-23. 2011..This in vitro study aimed to determine whether homocysteine is extractable transdermally and noninvasively, and whether homocysteine and urea can be extracted simultaneously by reverse iontophoresis.
- Effects of iontophoresis current magnitude and duration on dexamethasone deposition and localized drug retentionCarter R Anderson
Birch Point Medical Inc, Oakdale, Minn 55128, USA
Phys Ther 83:161-70. 2003b>Iontophoresis is a process that uses bipolar electric fields to propel molecules across intact skin and into underlying tissue. The purpose of this study was to describe and experimentally examine an iontophoresis drug delivery model.
- Transdermal absorption of memantin--effect of chemical enhancers, iontophoresis, and role of enhancer lipophilicityS Del Rio-Sancho
Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidad CEU Cardenal Herrera, C Del Pozo S N 46115, Alfara del Patriarca Valencia, Spain
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 82:164-70. 2012..b>Iontophoresis exhibited the greatest ability to enhance the flux of drug with respect to the control; nevertheless, the ..
- Effect of iontophoresis and permeation enhancers on the permeation of an acyclovir gelSubhash S Vaghani
Smt R B Patel Mahila, Atkot, Gujarat, India
Curr Drug Deliv 7:329-33. 2010The purpose of the present study was to explore the combined effect of chemical enhancers and iontophoresis on the in vitro permeation of acyclovir gel across porcine skin...
- Corneal nerves contain intra-axonal HSV-1 after virus reactivation by epinephrine iontophoresisL Rivera
Lions Eye Research Laboratories, Louisiana State University Medical Center School of Medicine, New Orleans
Curr Eye Res 7:1001-8. 1988..0 x 10(6) PFU/ml) in each eye. Beginning on postinfection day 82, ocular iontophoresis (0.8 mAmps for 8 min) of 0.01% epinephrine was done once a day for 3 consecutive days to induce reactivation...
- Evaluation of dexamethasone phosphate delivered by ocular iontophoresis for treating noninfectious anterior uveitisAmy E Cohen
Eyegate Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Waltham, Massachusetts 02453, USA
Ophthalmology 119:66-73. 2012Determine safe, effective, iontophoretic dose(s) of EGP-437 (dexamethasone phosphate formulated for iontophoresis) in patients with noninfectious anterior uveitis; evaluate systemic drug exposures.
- Evaluation of systemic microvascular endothelial function using laser speckle contrast imagingIvan Cordovil
National Institute of Cardiology INC, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Microvasc Res 83:376-9. 2012....
- Acute, local effects of iontophoresed insulin and C-peptide on cutaneous microvascular function in Type 1 diabetes mellitusC Delaney
International Diabetes Institute, 250 Kooyong Road, Caulfield, Victoria 3162, Australia
Diabet Med 21:428-33. 2004..There are no published data available examining physiological effects of C-peptide delivered in this way...
- Enhancement of topical 5-aminolaevulinic acid delivery by erbium:YAG laser and microdermabrasion: a comparison with iontophoresis and electroporationJ Y Fang
Pharmaceutical Laboratory, Graduate Institute of Natural Products, Chang Gung University, Kweishan, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Br J Dermatol 151:132-40. 2004..However, the permeability of hydrophilic ALA across the skin is very low...
- Lithium monitoring by reverse iontophoresis in vivoBenoît Leboulanger
School of Pharmacy and Department of Psychiatry, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Clin Chem 50:2091-100. 2004We investigated reverse transdermal iontophoresis as an alternative, noninvasive method for lithium monitoring in vivo...
- Botulinum toxin type A by iontophoresis for primary palmar hyperhidrosisGina M Kavanagh
J Am Acad Dermatol 55:S115-7. 2006
- Topical delivery of active principles: the field of dermatological researchMassimiliano Nino
Department of Systematic Pathology, Section of Dermatology, Naples, Italy
Dermatol Online J 16:4. 2010..The main physical techniques that increase cutaneous penetration of substances are: iontophoresis (that increases the penetration of ionized substances), electroporation (that electrically induces penetration ..
- Possible therapeutic use of vasodilator iontophoresisAndrea K Murray
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Laser Photonics Group, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, UK
Microvasc Res 69:89-94. 2005..The current treatment of choice for scleroderma-related critical digital ischaemia and/or ulceration is intravenous prostanoid therapy, necessitating hospitalisation. However, iloprost is often poorly tolerated and may be ineffective...
- Laser Doppler assessment of dermal circulatory changes in people with coronary artery diseaseSharad C Agarwal
Department of Cardiology, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Microvasc Res 84:55-9. 2012..We studied and compared microcirculatory changes in response to acetylcholine iontophoresis (ACh), local heating of the skin and reactive hyperaemia in patients with coronary artery disease (CAD).
- A mechanism of the high frequency AC iontophoresisT Shibaji
Department of Dental Anesthesiology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Control Release 73:37-47. 2001The efficiency and the voltage dependence of the AC iontophoresis were studied in vitro...
- Improved techniques for examining rapid dopamine signaling with iontophoresisNatalie Rios Herr
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Department of Chemistry, CB 3290, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3290, USA
Front Biosci (Elite Ed) 5:249-57. 2013..The drugs are ejected by iontophoresis in which an electrical current forces the movement of molecules by a combination of electrical migration and ..
- Iontophoresis: a non-invasive ocular drug deliveryEsther Eljarrat-Binstock
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
J Control Release 110:479-89. 2006b>Iontophoresis as a non-invasive technique for ocular drug delivery has been investigated for many years...
- Vasodilator iontophoresis a possible new therapy for digital ischaemia in systemic sclerosis?A K Murray
Rheumatic Diseases Centre, Hope Hospital, Salford M6 8HD, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:76-9. 2008This study investigated whether whole finger vasodilator iontophoresis increases digital blood flow in patients with systemic sclerosis (SSc): If so, this might indicate a novel approach to therapy.
- Noninvasive and efficient transdermal delivery of CpG-oligodeoxynucleotide for cancer immunotherapyKaoru Kigasawa
Graduate School of Life Science, Hokkaido University, Kita 12 Nishi 6, Kita ku, Sapporo City, Hokkaido 060 0812 Japan
J Control Release 150:256-65. 2011..previously demonstrated that small interfering RNA (siRNA) was efficiently delivered into rat epidermis by iontophoresis. In this report, we investigate the effect of transdermal iontophoretic delivery of CpG-ODN on the induction ..
- Non-invasive and transdermal measurement of blood uric acid level in human by electroporation and reverse iontophoresisChih Kuei Lee
Hopkins Health Management Center, Puli Christian Hospital, Nantou, Taiwan, Republic of China
Int J Nanomedicine 5:991-7. 2010The aim of this study was to find out the optimum combination of electroporation (EP) and reverse iontophoresis (RI) on noninvasive and transdermal determination of blood uric acid level in humans...
- Oral sildenafil increases skin hyperaemia induced by iontophoresis of sodium nitroprusside in healthy volunteersS Blaise
Inserm CIC3, Grenoble Clinical Research Center, Grenoble University Hospital, Grenoble, France
Br J Pharmacol 160:1128-34. 2010..we tested whether sildenafil, alone or combined with local sodium nitroprusside (SNP) delivered through skin iontophoresis, increased forearm cutaneous blood conductance in healthy volunteers, and to assess how well this combination ..
- Comparative reproducibility of dermal microvascular blood flow changes in response to acetylcholine iontophoresis, hyperthermia and reactive hyperaemiaSharad C Agarwal
Departments of Cardiology, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne NE77DN, UK
Physiol Meas 31:1-11. 2010..Various studies have used microvascular changes in response to these stimuli, especially ACh iontophoresis and local heating, as a surrogate marker of endothelial function...
- Pentazocine transport by square-wave AC iontophoresis with an adjusted duty cycleSaori Ogami
Section of Anesthesiology and Clinical Physiology, Department of Oral Restitution, Division of Oral Health Science, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8549, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 55:15-27. 2008So far, pentazocine iontophoresis has never been studied, although pentazocine is widely used in pain management...
- Reproducibility of cutaneous microvascular function assessment using laser Doppler flowmetry and acetylcholine iontophoresisK A Brocx
School of Psychology, Murdoch University, Perth, W A, Australia
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 22:313-21. 2009To investigate the reproducibility of direct and axon-reflex vasodilator responses to increasing doses of acetylcholine administered transcutaneously by iontophoresis.
- Transdermal delivery of interferon alpha-2B using microporation and iontophoresis in hairless ratsAdvait V Badkar
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Mercer University, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Pharm Res 24:1389-95. 2007To demonstrate transdermal delivery of interferon alpha-2b (IFNalpha2b) in hairless rats through aqueous microchannels (micropores) created in the skin and enhanced by iontophoresis.
- Assessment of the "skin reservoir" of urea by confocal Raman microspectroscopy and reverse iontophoresis in vivoValentine Wascotte
Unite de Pharmacie Galenique, Universite Catholique de Louvain, avenue E Mounier, UCL 7320, 1200, Brussels, Belgium
Pharm Res 24:1897-901. 2007To demonstrate the "skin reservoir" of urea by confocal Raman microspectroscopy in vivo and to evaluate its impact on the non-invasive monitoring of the analyte by reverse iontophoresis.
- Repeatability of the evaluation of systemic microvascular endothelial function using laser doppler perfusion monitoring: clinical and statistical implicationsEduardo Tibirica
Diabetes Unit, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 66:599-605. 2011..We investigated the day-to-day repeatability of measures of systemic microvascular reactivity using laser Doppler perfusion monitoring...
- Influence of vehicle resistance on transdermal iontophoretic delivery of acetylcholine and sodium nitroprusside in humansFaisel Khan
Vascular Diseases Research Unit, Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, United Kingdom
J Appl Physiol (1985) 97:883-7. 2004b>Iontophoresis is a valuable method of noninvasive drug delivery for assessment of skin microvascular function, but it is important to consider and minimize its potential nonspecific electrical effects on blood flow...
- Topical iontophoresis of valaciclovir hydrochloride improves cutaneous aciclovir deliveryNada Abla
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva and University of Lausanne, 1211 Geneva, Switzerland
Pharm Res 23:1842-9. 2006To investigate the topical iontophoresis of valaciclovir (VCV) as a means to improve cutaneous aciclovir (ACV) delivery.
- Non-invasive monitoring of phenytoin by reverse iontophoresisBenoît Leboulanger
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, 30 Quai Ernest Ansermet, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Eur J Pharm Sci 22:427-33. 2004Transdermal iontophoresis offers a non-invasive sampling method for therapeutic drug monitoring...
- Iontophoresis-based transdermal delivery systemsNarayanasamy Kanikkannan
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, Florida A and M University, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
BioDrugs 16:339-47. 2002Transdermal iontophoresis is the administration of ionic therapeutic agents through the skin by the application of a low-level electric current...
- Post-iontophoresis transport of ibuprofen lysine across rabbit ear skinPatrizia Santi
Department of Pharmacy, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze, 27A, Parma 43100, Italy
Int J Pharm 266:69-75. 2003The aim of this work was to study in vitro the post-iontophoresis transport of ibuprofen lysine across rabbit ear skin, from ibuprofen lysine water solutions (20-200 mg/ml and pH 6.8-7.8). Current densities of 0.125, 0.25, and 0...
- Investigation into the potential of iontophoresis facilitated delivery of ketorolacSandip B Tiwari
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal 576119, Karnataka, India
Int J Pharm 260:93-103. 2003The potential for iontophoresis facilitated transdermal transport of ketorolac was investigated using rat skin...
- Prediction of drug release profiles using an intelligent learning system: an experimental study in transdermal iontophoresisChee Peng Lim
School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Engineering Campus, University of Science Malaysia, 14300 Nibong Tebal, Penang, Malaysia
J Pharm Biomed Anal 31:159-68. 2003..An experimental study in transdermal iontophoresis (TI) is employed to evaluate the applicability of a particular neural network (NN) model, i.e...
- Optimization of aminolevulinic acid delivery by iontophoresisRenata F V Lopez
Centre International de Recherche et d Enseignement, Archamps, France
J Control Release 88:65-70. 2003..b>Iontophoresis of the predominantly zwitterionic ALA from the anode is more efficient than that from the cathode...
- Endothelial-dependent vasodilation is impaired in patients with systemic sclerosis, as assessed by low dose iontophoresisM E Anderson
Clin Exp Rheumatol 21:403. 2003
- The relation between epinephrine concentration and the anesthetic effect of lidocaine iontophoresisRyo Wakita
Section of Anesthesiology and Clinical Physiology, Department of Oral Restitution, Division of Oral Health Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Pain Pract 9:115-21. 2009We assessed the effect of epinephrine at various concentrations on the anesthetic effect during lidocaine iontophoresis. A solution of 2% lidocaine with epinephrine in concentration of 1:80,000, 1:160,000, 1:320,000, 2% lidocaine plain ..
- The use of iontophoresis in the administration of nicotine and new non-nicotine drugs through the skin for smoking cessationJosé Juan Escobar-Chávez
División de Estudios de Posgrado Tecnología Farmacéutica, Facultad de Estudios Superiores Cuautitlán Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Cuautitlan Izcalli, Estado de Mexico, Mexico
Curr Drug Discov Technol 6:171-85. 2009..The controlled delivery afforded by constant current iontophoresis, which involves the application of a small electrical potential sets it apart from other technologies...
- Simultaneous transdermal extraction of glucose and lactate from human subjects by reverse iontophoresisTak S Ching
Asia University, Taiwan
Int J Nanomedicine 3:211-23. 2008..extracting glucose and lactate from human subjects, at the same skin location, using transdermal reverse iontophoresis. Transdermal monitoring using iontophoresis is made possible by the skin's permeability to small molecules and ..
- Iontophoresis: from the lab to the bed sideM Halhal
INSERM U 450, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
Exp Eye Res 78:751-7. 2004Pioneer work on iontophoresis undertaken by David Maurice during the 1970s and 1980s laid the initial groundwork for its potential implementation as a promising ocular therapeutic modality...
- Non-invasive diagnosis and monitoring of chronic kidney disease by reverse iontophoresis of urea in vivoValentine Wascotte
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Unite de Pharmacie Galenique, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 69:1077-82. 2008Reverse iontophoresis uses a small current to extract molecules and ions through the skin...
- High-resolution iontophoresis for single-synapse stimulationJonathan G Murnick
Department of Biology, RIKEN MIT Neuroscience Research Center, Center for Learning and Memory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J Neurosci Methods 116:65-75. 2002..We modify the technique of iontophoresis to use a 0...
- "ChilDrive": a technique of combining regional cutaneous hypothermia with iontophoresis for the delivery of drugs to synovial fluidSrinivasa M Sammeta
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, The University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi 38677, USA
Pharm Res 26:2535-40. 2009..CD is a technique of transdermal delivery of drugs combining regional hypothermia and iontophoresis.
- BOTOX delivery by iontophoresisG M Kavanagh
University Department of Dermatology, The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Lauriston Building, Edinburgh EH3 9YW, Scotland, UK
Br J Dermatol 151:1093-5. 2004..palmar hyperhidrosis who responded to BOTOX delivered not by injection, the usual method of delivery, but by iontophoresis. The Botulinum molecule has been considered too large for delivery into the skin this way...
- Carbon nanotube composites for glucose biosensor incorporated with reverse iontophoresis function for noninvasive glucose monitoringTai Ping Sun
Department of Electrical Engineering, Graduate Institute of Biomedicine and Biomedical Technology, National Chi Nan University, Nantou, Taiwan, ROC
Int J Nanomedicine 5:343-9. 2010This study aims to develop an amperometric glucose biosensor, based on carbon nanotubes material for reverse iontophoresis, fabricated by immobilizing a mixture of glucose oxidase (GOD) and multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWCNT) epoxy-..
- Factors critical to iontophoretic assessment of vascular reactivity: implications for clinical studies of endothelial dysfunctionJane Elizabeth Ramsay
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 39:9-17. 2002Skin microvascular responses to iontophoresis of acetylcholine, an endothelium-dependent vasodilator, and sodium nitroprusside, an endothelium-independent vasodilator, were measured using a laser Doppler imager whose software controlled ..
- Iodide iontophoresis as a treatment for dry eye syndromeJ Horwath-Winter
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University, Auenbruggerplatz 4, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Br J Ophthalmol 89:40-4. 2005..In this clinical trial the effectiveness of iodide iontophoresis and iodide application without current in moderate to severe dry eye patients was compared.
- Enhanced delivery of 5-aminolevulinic acid esters by iontophoresis in vitroRenata F V Lopez
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Photochem Photobiol 77:304-8. 2003..b>Iontophoresis of methyl-ALA and hexyl-ALA also increased the amount of prodrug delivered into the skin...
- Regulation of human cutaneous circulation evaluated by laser Doppler flowmetry, iontophoresis, and spectral analysis: importance of nitric oxide and prostaglandinesPer Kvandal
Department of Anesthesiology, Ulleval University Hospital, 0407 Oslo, Norway
Microvasc Res 65:160-71. 2003..Basal cutaneous perfusion and perfusion responses during iontophoresis with the endothelium-dependent vasodilator acetylcholine (ACh) and the endothelium-independent vasodilator ..
- Reverse iontophoresis for non-invasive transdermal monitoringBenoît Leboulanger
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, 30 quai Ernest Ansermet CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Physiol Meas 25:R35-50. 2004b>Iontophoresis is the application of a small electric current to enhance the transport of both charged and polar, neutral compounds across the skin...
- Transdermal delivery of insulin from poloxamer gel: ex vivo and in vivo skin permeation studies in rat using iontophoresis and chemical enhancersOmathanu Pillai
Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Sector 67, S A S Nagar, 160062, Punjab, India
J Control Release 89:127-40. 2003Gels are considered to be the most suitable delivery vehicle for iontophoresis, as they can be easily amalgamated with the iontophoretic delivery system and can also match the contours of the skin...
- Hydrogel probe for iontophoresis drug delivery to the eyeEsther Eljarrat-Binstock
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 15:397-413. 2004..hydrogel loaded with a drug solution as a probe for ejecting drugs to the eye upon application of low current iontophoresis. Hydroxyethyl methacrylate (HEMA), cross-linked with ethylene glycol dimethacrylate (EGDMA), and cross-linked ..
- Transdermal iontophoresis of insulin: IV. Influence of chemical enhancersOmathanu Pillai
Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical, Education and Research NIPER, Sector 67, SAS Nagar 160 062, Punjab, India
Int J Pharm 269:109-20. 2004Transdermal iontophoresis per se may not be able to achieve significant permeation of large peptides like insulin, thereby necessitating the use of combination strategies involving chemical enhancers and iontophoresis...
- Recent progress in ocular drug delivery for posterior segment disease: emphasis on transscleral iontophoresisMarvin E Myles
Department of Ophthalmology, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 57:2063-79. 2005..This review will summarize recent literature concerning ocular drug delivery of bioactive compounds to the posterior segment of the eye with emphasis on transscleral iontophoresis.
- Iontophoresis and sonophoresis stimulate epidermal cytokine expression at energies that do not provoke a barrier abnormality: lamellar body secretion and cytokine expression are linked to altered epidermal calcium levelsEung Ho Choi
Department of Dermatology, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, Wonju, Korea
J Invest Dermatol 121:1138-44. 2003..b>Iontophoresis and sonophoresis with the energies that do not disrupt the skin barrier, but induce changes in the epidermal ..
- Cystic fibrosis in Korean children:a case report identified by a quantitative pilocarpine iontophoresis sweat test and genetic analysisKang Mo Ahn
Department of Pediatrics, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 20:153-7. 2005..in both lungs, and their diagnosis was confirmed by the repeated analysis of a quantitative pilocarpine iontophoresis test (QPIT). The sweat chloride concentrations of the first patient were 108.1 mM/L and 96.7 mM/L...
- Compartmental modeling of transdermal iontophoretic transport: I. In vitro model derivation and applicationAkhmad Kharis Nugroho
Leiden Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Pharm Res 21:1974-84. 2004..The objective of this study was to develop a family of compartmental models to describe in a strictly quantitative manner the transdermal iontophoretic transport of drugs in vitro...
- Simultaneous extraction of urea and glucose by reverse iontophoresis in vivoAnke Sieg
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Pharm Res 21:1805-10. 2004Reverse iontophoresis extracts glucose across the skin in the GlucoWatch Biographer, a device to monitor glycemia in diabetes...
- Transdermal iontophoresis: combination strategies to improve transdermal iontophoretic drug deliveryYiping Wang
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ, USA
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 60:179-91. 2005..A number of other physical approaches such as iontophoresis, sonophoresis, ultrasound and the use of microneedles are now being studied to improve permeation of ..
- Transcorneal and transscleral iontophoresis of dexamethasone phosphate using drug loaded hydrogelEsther Eljarrat-Binstock
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Control Release 106:386-90. 2005To evaluate dexamethasone penetration to the eye after a short transcorneal and transscleral iontophoresis using a drug loaded hydrogel assembled on a portable iontophoretic device.
- Lidocaine iontophoresis versus EMLA cream for CO2 laser treatment in seborrheic keratosisRosaya Phahonthep
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 87:S15-8. 2004..Topical anesthesia for skin surgery has widely been used for a long time. Various preparations are used. The EMLA cream is the most popular one...
- Tolerance of ocular iontophoresis in healthy volunteersThomas M Parkinson
Research and Development, IOMED, Inc, Salt Lake City, Utah 84120 9941, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 19:145-51. 2003..The OcuPhor trade mark system has promise for noninvasive drug delivery to the eye...
- Wavelet analysis of blood flow dynamics: effect on the individual oscillatory components of iontophoresis with pharmacologically neutral electrolytesMitja Veber
Group of Nonlinear Dynamics and Synergetics, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Ljubljana, Trzaska 25, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Phys Med Biol 49:N111-7. 2004b>Iontophoresis currents are used in the transcutaneous delivery of vasoactive substances for noninvasive assessment of skin vascular properties...
- Delivery of antisense oligonucleotide to the cornea by iontophoresisM Berdugo
Association Claude Bermond, INSERM U450, Paris, France
Antisense Nucleic Acid Drug Dev 13:107-14. 2003We wished to evaluate the potential of iontophoresis to promote the delivery of antisense oligonucleotides (ODN) directed at the vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-R2 receptor (KDR/Flk) to the cornea of the rat eye...
- Iontophoresis of antibiotics into segmental allograftsP P C Khoo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical Engineering and Physics Department Royal Perth Hospital, Wellington Street Campus, Box X2213 GPO, Perth, Western Australia 6847, Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1149-57. 2006b>Iontophoresis is a novel technique which may be used to facilitate the movement of antibiotics into the substance of bone using an electrical potential applied externally...
- Down-regulation of NOSII gene expression by iontophoresis of anti-sense oligonucleotide in endotoxin-induced uveitisM Voigt
INSERM U450 15 rue de l Ecole de Médecine, 75270 Paris Cedex 6, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 295:336-41. 2002Transcorneoscleral iontophoresis was used to enhance ocular penetration of a 21-bp NH(2) protected anti-NOSII oligonucleotides (ODNs) (fluorescein or infrared-41 labeled) in Lewis rats...
- Prior iontophoresis of saline enhances vasoconstriction to phenylephrine and clonidine in the skin of the human forearmPeter D Drummond
School of Psychology, Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia
Br J Clin Pharmacol 54:45-50. 2002..To determine whether postjunctional alpha1- and alpha2-adrenoceptors mediate vasoconstrictor responses in the cutaneous vasculature of the human forearm...
- Piroxicam delivery into human stratum corneum in vivo: iontophoresis versus passive diffusionC Curdy
Centre Interuniversitaire de Recherche et d'Enseignement, Universities of Geneva and Lyon, Campus Universitaire, Parc d'Affaires International, F-74166, Archamps, France
J Control Release 76:73-9. 2001..The total amount of drug recovered in the SC post-iontophoresis was significantly higher than that found following passive diffusion for each application time...
- Transdermal iontophoresis of insulin. V. Effect of terpenesOmathanu Pillai
Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Section 67, SAS Nagar, 160 062 Punjab, India
J Control Release 88:287-96. 2003..for 2 h with 5% of menthol, menthone, cineole and pulegone in EtOH; EtOH alone; neat menthone with and without iontophoresis (0.5 mA/cm(2); 6 h)...
- Gated Carbon Nanotube Membrane Transdermal Drug DeliveryBruce Hinds; Fiscal Year: 2009..20/sq.ft. This membrane would also be expected to have minimal skin irritation potential as compared to iontophoresis, the current non-invasive programmable drug delivery method that could eventually compete with this system on ..
- Gated Carbon Nanotube Membrane Transdermal Drug DeliveryBRUCE JACKSON HINDS; Fiscal Year: 2010..20/sq.ft. This membrane would also be expected to have minimal skin irritation potential as compared to iontophoresis, the current non-invasive programmable drug delivery method that could eventually compete with this system on ..
- Gated Carbon Nanotube Membrane Transdermal Drug DeliveryBruce Hinds; Fiscal Year: 2007..20/sq.ft. This membrane would also be expected to have minimal skin irritation potential as compared to iontophoresis, the current non-invasive programmable drug delivery method that could eventually compete with this system on ..
- Combined Voltammetry/Electrophysiology in Behaving RatsREGINA CARELLI; Fiscal Year: 2009..aversive (quinine) tastant. Aim 4 will expand that study and apply our improved iontophoresis method in conjunction with the combined voltammetry/electrophysiology technology to determine potential causal ..
- Combined Voltammetry/Electrophysiology in Behaving RatsRegina M Carelli; Fiscal Year: 2010..aversive (quinine) tastant. Aim 4 will expand that study and apply our improved iontophoresis method in conjunction with the combined voltammetry/electrophysiology technology to determine potential causal ..
- OCULAR PATHOGENESIS AND THERAPY OF BACTERIAL KERATITISJames Hill; Fiscal Year: 1993..These studies would employ novel drug delivery methods (iontophoresis and collagen shields) capable of delivering large amounts of antibiotic in a short time, as well as two rabbit ..
- INJURY-INDUCES PAIN-- CHEMICAL MODULATION OF NOCICEPTORSSrinivasa Raja; Fiscal Year: 2004..During the coming grant period, norepinephrine iontophoresis in patients with and without SMP will be tested as a new, non-invasive, diagnostic test for SMP (Sp. Aim 1)...
- ELECTROANALYSIS OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND MODULATORSROBERT MARK WIGHTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..5. Iontophoresis coupled with voltammetry...
- A NEW CHLORIDE SWEAT TEST FOR CYSTIC FIBROSIS SCREENINGWARREN WARWICK; Fiscal Year: 2004..three new methods of transporting pilocarpine to the sweat glands and comparing the results to the current iontophoresis method...
- DIFFUSION OF SUBSTANCES THROUGH THE BRAINCharles Nicholson; Fiscal Year: 1999..The work will use a micropipette as a point-source to release molecules into the brain by iontophoresis, a pressure pulse or a controlled infusion...
- Nociceptor Maturation and Response to Peripheral InjuryCHARLES WOODBURY; Fiscal Year: 2009..characterized using a comprehensive suite of natural skin stimuli and then labeled in their entirety through iontophoresis of Neurobiotin...
- PEPTIDES IN ADULT & DEVELOPING CEREBELLAR CIRCUITSJames King; Fiscal Year: 1990..b>Iontophoresis of peptides, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybirdization, and double labeling paradigms using retrograde ..
- OCULAR HSV: LATENCY, REACTIVATION, & RECURRENCEJames Hill; Fiscal Year: 1991..shedding and recurrent epithelial disease will continue in two previously developed rabbit models: 1) ocular iontophoresis of adrenergic agents, and 2) production of adrenergic agonists and antagonists will be used to define the ..
- Injury Induced Facilitated Neurogenic InflammationWade Kingery; Fiscal Year: 2006..A less invasive method will use cutaneous iontophoresis of substance P to evoke a facilitated vasodilatation response measured by laser Doppler...
- ELECTROANALYSIS OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND MODULATORSRobert Wightman; Fiscal Year: 2007..2. To develop and use iontophoresis with voltammetry to introduce chemical substances directly at the site where pH and dopamine measurements are ..
- OCULAR HSV--LATENCY, REACTIVATION, AND RECURRENCEJames Hill; Fiscal Year: 1993..The methodology to be employed includes iontophoresis of adrenergic agents,...
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2007..Combinations of single unit recording, microinjections, behavioral testing and iontophoresis will be performed to reveal the neurophysiological basis for improgan antinociception...
- SPINAL AND PROJECTION MECHANISMS RELATED TO PAINEDWARD PERL; Fiscal Year: 1992..Functionally characterized dorsal root ganglion cells, marked intracellularly by iontophoresis with a label (lucifer yellow, HRP) from recording micropipettes, would be tested for reactivity with ..