Genomes and Genes
Summary: Therapeutic introduction of ions of soluble salts into tissues by means of electric current. In medical literature it is commonly used to indicate the process of increasing the penetration of drugs into surface tissues by the application of electric current. It has nothing to do with ION EXCHANGE; AIR IONIZATION nor PHONOPHORESIS, none of which requires current.
Publications262 found, 100 shown here
- Transdermal iontophoresis: impact on skin integrity as evaluated by various methodsMaansi G Kumar
College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, St John s University, Jamaica, NY 11439, USA
Crit Rev Ther Drug Carrier Syst 25:381-401. 2008Transdermal iontophoresis, a noninvasive technique that facilitates drug transport through the skin by the use of an external electrical field, has expanded the scope of drugs that can be delivered transdermally and enables programmable ..
- Absorption of iontophoresis-driven 2% lidocaine with epinephrine in the tissues at 5 mm below the surface of the skinDavid O Draper
Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, USA
J Athl Train 46:277-81. 2011In a recent study, we were unable to measure lidocaine in the human calf at a 5-mm depth via iontophoresis. We surmised that this might be due to a lack of epinephrine in the compound...
- Current concepts in assessment of microvascular endothelial function using laser Doppler imaging and iontophoresisJamie Turner
University Division of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, DD1 9SY Scotland, UK
Trends Cardiovasc Med 18:109-16. 2008..developed, including the use of laser Doppler flowmetry/imaging to measure cutaneous perfusion accompanied by iontophoresis of acetylcholine and sodium nitroprusside...
- Endothelial-dependent vasodilation is impaired in patients with systemic sclerosis, as assessed by low dose iontophoresisM E Anderson
Clin Exp Rheumatol 21:403. 2003
- Post-iontophoresis transport of ibuprofen lysine across rabbit ear skinPatrizia Santi
Department of Pharmacy, , Parco Area delle Scienze, 27A, Parma 43100, Italy
Int J Pharm 266:69-75. 2003The aim of this work was to study in vitro the post-iontophoresis transport of ibuprofen lysine across rabbit ear skin, from ibuprofen lysine water solutions (20-200 mg/ml and pH 6.8-7.8). Current densities of 0.125, 0.25, and 0...
- Non-invasive diagnosis and monitoring of chronic kidney disease by reverse iontophoresis of urea in vivoValentine Wascotte
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Unite de Pharmacie Galenique, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 69:1077-82. 2008Reverse iontophoresis uses a small current to extract molecules and ions through the skin...
- Evaluation of the antihistamine effects of olopatadine, cetirizine and fexofenadine during a 24 h period: a double-blind, randomized, crossover, placebo-controlled comparison in skin responses induced by histamine iontophoresisHitoshi Takahashi
Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Shimane University, Izumo, Shimane, Japan
Arch Dermatol Res 300:291-5. 2008..placebo-controlled study of ten healthy volunteers on histamine-induced flare and wheal response using an iontophoresis technique. The suppressive effect of olopatadine on the wheals induced by a 0...
- Iodide iontophoresis as a treatment for dry eye syndromeJ Horwath-Winter
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University, Auenbruggerplatz 4, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Br J Ophthalmol 89:40-4. 2005..In this clinical trial the effectiveness of iodide iontophoresis and iodide application without current in moderate to severe dry eye patients was compared.
- Investigation into the potential of iontophoresis facilitated delivery of ketorolacSandip B Tiwari
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal 576119, Karnataka, India
Int J Pharm 260:93-103. 2003The potential for iontophoresis facilitated transdermal transport of ketorolac was investigated using rat skin...
- Prediction of drug release profiles using an intelligent learning system: an experimental study in transdermal iontophoresisChee Peng Lim
School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Engineering Campus, University of Science Malaysia, 14300 Nibong Tebal, Penang, Malaysia
J Pharm Biomed Anal 31:159-68. 2003..An experimental study in transdermal iontophoresis (TI) is employed to evaluate the applicability of a particular neural network (NN) model, i.e...
- Factors critical to iontophoretic assessment of vascular reactivity: implications for clinical studies of endothelial dysfunctionJane Elizabeth Ramsay
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 39:9-17. 2002Skin microvascular responses to iontophoresis of acetylcholine, an endothelium-dependent vasodilator, and sodium nitroprusside, an endothelium-independent vasodilator, were measured using a laser Doppler imager whose software controlled ..
- Optimization of aminolevulinic acid delivery by iontophoresisRenata F V Lopez
Centre International de Recherche et d'Enseignement, Archamps, France
J Control Release 88:65-70. 2003..b>Iontophoresis of the predominantly zwitterionic ALA from the anode is more efficient than that from the cathode...
- High-resolution iontophoresis for single-synapse stimulationJonathan G Murnick
Department of Biology, RIKEN-MIT Neuroscience Research Center, Center for Learning and Memory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
J Neurosci Methods 116:65-75. 2002..We modify the technique of iontophoresis to use a 0...
- BOTOX delivery by iontophoresisG M Kavanagh
University Department of Dermatology, The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Lauriston Building, Edinburgh EH3 9YW, Scotland, UK
Br J Dermatol 151:1093-5. 2004..palmar hyperhidrosis who responded to BOTOX delivered not by injection, the usual method of delivery, but by iontophoresis. The Botulinum molecule has been considered too large for delivery into the skin this way...
- Iontophoresis: from the lab to the bed sideM Halhal
INSERM U 450, , 75006 Paris, France
Exp Eye Res 78:751-7. 2004Pioneer work on iontophoresis undertaken by David Maurice during the 1970s and 1980s laid the initial groundwork for its potential implementation as a promising ocular therapeutic modality...
- Carbon nanotube composites for glucose biosensor incorporated with reverse iontophoresis function for noninvasive glucose monitoringTai Ping Sun
Department of Electrical Engineering, Graduate Institute of Biomedicine and Biomedical Technology, National Chi Nan University, Nantou, Taiwan, ROC
Int J Nanomedicine 5:343-9. 2010This study aims to develop an amperometric glucose biosensor, based on carbon nanotubes material for reverse iontophoresis, fabricated by immobilizing a mixture of glucose oxidase (GOD) and multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWCNT) epoxy-..
- Iontophoresis-based transdermal delivery systemsNarayanasamy Kanikkannan
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, Florida A and M University, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
BioDrugs 16:339-47. 2002Transdermal iontophoresis is the administration of ionic therapeutic agents through the skin by the application of a low-level electric current...
- Noninvasive assessment of endothelial function in the skin microcirculationHaythem Debbabi
Department of Non Invasive Investigations, Cardiovascular Research Centre, PARCC Inserm U970, Lariboisiere Hospital, Paris, France
Am J Hypertens 23:541-6. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine whether the laser Doppler response of skin microcirculation to acetylcholine, reflects that of conduit artery assessed by brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (FMD)...
- "ChilDrive": a technique of combining regional cutaneous hypothermia with iontophoresis for the delivery of drugs to synovial fluidSrinivasa M Sammeta
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, The University of Mississippi, University, Mississippi 38677, USA
Pharm Res 26:2535-40. 2009..CD is a technique of transdermal delivery of drugs combining regional hypothermia and iontophoresis.
- The use of iontophoresis in the administration of nicotine and new non-nicotine drugs through the skin for smoking cessationJosé Juan Escobar-Chávez
División de Estudios de Posgrado Tecnología Farmacéutica, Facultad de Estudios Superiores Cuautitlán Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Cuautitlan Izcalli, Estado de Mexico, Mexico
Curr Drug Discov Technol 6:171-85. 2009..The controlled delivery afforded by constant current iontophoresis, which involves the application of a small electrical potential sets it apart from other technologies...
- The relation between epinephrine concentration and the anesthetic effect of lidocaine iontophoresisRyo Wakita
Section of Anesthesiology and Clinical Physiology, Department of Oral Restitution, Division of Oral Health Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Pain Pract 9:115-21. 2009We assessed the effect of epinephrine at various concentrations on the anesthetic effect during lidocaine iontophoresis. A solution of 2% lidocaine with epinephrine in concentration of 1:80,000, 1:160,000, 1:320,000, 2% lidocaine plain ..
- Simultaneous transdermal extraction of glucose and lactate from human subjects by reverse iontophoresisTak S Ching
Asia University, Taiwan
Int J Nanomedicine 3:211-23. 2008..extracting glucose and lactate from human subjects, at the same skin location, using transdermal reverse iontophoresis. Transdermal monitoring using iontophoresis is made possible by the skin's permeability to small molecules and ..
- Wavelet analysis of blood flow dynamics: effect on the individual oscillatory components of iontophoresis with pharmacologically neutral electrolytesMitja Veber
Group of Nonlinear Dynamics and Synergetics, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, University of Ljubljana, Trzaska 25, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Phys Med Biol 49:N111-7. 2004b>Iontophoresis currents are used in the transcutaneous delivery of vasoactive substances for noninvasive assessment of skin vascular properties...
- Transdermal iontophoresis of insulin. V. Effect of terpenesOmathanu Pillai
Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER, Section 67, SAS Nagar, 160 062 Punjab, India
J Control Release 88:287-96. 2003..for 2 h with 5% of menthol, menthone, cineole and pulegone in EtOH; EtOH alone; neat menthone with and without iontophoresis (0.5 mA/cm(2); 6 h)...
- Recent progress in ocular drug delivery for posterior segment disease: emphasis on transscleral iontophoresisMarvin E Myles
Department of Ophthalmology, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 57:2063-79. 2005..This review will summarize recent literature concerning ocular drug delivery of bioactive compounds to the posterior segment of the eye with emphasis on transscleral iontophoresis.
- Percutaneous lidocaine administration via a new iontophoresis system in children: tolerability and absence of systemic bioavailabilityGregory L Kearns
Departments of Pediatrics, University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, USA
Pediatrics 112:578-82. 2003..For evaluating the tolerance of this IDDS in pediatrics, 12 healthy children (5-15 years, 4 girls and 8 boys, 10 white, weight 19-79 kg) were evaluated...
- Piroxicam delivery into human stratum corneum in vivo: iontophoresis versus passive diffusionC Curdy
Centre Interuniversitaire de Recherche et d'Enseignement, Universities of Geneva and Lyon, Campus Universitaire, Parc d'Affaires International, F-74166, Archamps, France
J Control Release 76:73-9. 2001..The total amount of drug recovered in the SC post-iontophoresis was significantly higher than that found following passive diffusion for each application time...
- The role of electroosmotic flow in transdermal iontophoresisM J Pikal
Eli Lilly and Co, Lilly Corporate Center, Lilly Research Laboratories, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 46:281-305. 2001b>Iontophoresis enhances transdermal drug delivery by three mechanisms: (a) the ion-electric field interaction provides an additional force which drives ions through the skin; (b) flow of electric current increases permeability of skin; ..
- Lidocaine iontophoresis versus EMLA cream for CO2 laser treatment in seborrheic keratosisRosaya Phahonthep
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 87:S15-8. 2004..OBJECTIVE: The authors compared the local analgesic effect of topical lidocaine iontophoresis and EMLA cream in a crossover study design...
- Hydrogel probe for iontophoresis drug delivery to the eyeEsther Eljarrat-Binstock
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 15:397-413. 2004..hydrogel loaded with a drug solution as a probe for ejecting drugs to the eye upon application of low current iontophoresis. Hydroxyethyl methacrylate (HEMA), cross-linked with ethylene glycol dimethacrylate (EGDMA), and cross-linked ..
- Reverse iontophoresis of L-lactate: in vitro and in vivo studiesSusan Nixon
Novartis Consumer Health SA, Nyon, Switzerland
J Pharm Sci 96:3457-65. 2007..Lactate was quickly and easily extracted by iontophoresis both in vitro and in vivo...
- Reverse iontophoresis for non-invasive transdermal monitoringBenoît Leboulanger
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, 30 quai Ernest Ansermet CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Physiol Meas 25:R35-50. 2004b>Iontophoresis is the application of a small electric current to enhance the transport of both charged and polar, neutral compounds across the skin...
- Transdermal iontophoresis: combination strategies to improve transdermal iontophoretic drug deliveryYiping Wang
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ, USA
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 60:179-91. 2005..A number of other physical approaches such as iontophoresis, sonophoresis, ultrasound and the use of microneedles are now being studied to improve permeation of ..
- Ocular aspirin distribution: a comparison of intravenous, topical, and coulomb-controlled iontophoresis administrationMonika Voigt
Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:3299-306. 2002..pharmacokinetics and safety of aspirin delivered by a single, noninvasive, transscleral, coulomb-controlled iontophoresis (CCI) treatment; topical application; or by one intravenous (IV) injection...
- Down-regulation of NOSII gene expression by iontophoresis of anti-sense oligonucleotide in endotoxin-induced uveitisM Voigt
, 75270 Paris Cedex 6, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 295:336-41. 2002Transcorneoscleral iontophoresis was used to enhance ocular penetration of a 21-bp NH(2) protected anti-NOSII oligonucleotides (ODNs) (fluorescein or infrared-41 labeled) in Lewis rats...
- Prior iontophoresis of saline enhances vasoconstriction to phenylephrine and clonidine in the skin of the human forearmPeter D Drummond
School of Psychology, Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia
Br J Clin Pharmacol 54:45-50. 2002..To determine whether postjunctional alpha1- and alpha2-adrenoceptors mediate vasoconstrictor responses in the cutaneous vasculature of the human forearm...
- Simultaneous extraction of urea and glucose by reverse iontophoresis in vivoAnke Sieg
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Pharm Res 21:1805-10. 2004Reverse iontophoresis extracts glucose across the skin in the GlucoWatch Biographer, a device to monitor glycemia in diabetes...
- Compartmental modeling of transdermal iontophoretic transport: I. In vitro model derivation and applicationAkhmad Kharis Nugroho
Leiden/Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, 2300 RA Leiden, The Netherlands
Pharm Res 21:1974-84. 2004..METHODS: Two structurally different compartmental models describing the in vitro transport during iontophoresis and one compartmental model describing the in vitro transport in post-iontophoretic period are proposed...
- Transepidermal transport enhancement of insulin by lipid extraction and iontophoresisSumeet K Rastogi
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, North Dakota State University, Fargo 58105, USA
Pharm Res 19:427-33. 2002..Franz diffusion cells and Scepter iontophoretic power source were used for the transport studies. Cathodal iontophoresis was performed at 0.2 mA/cm2 current density...
- Lidocaine iontophoresis versus eutectic mixture of local anesthetics (EMLA) for IV placement in childrenJeffrey L Galinkin
University of Pennsylvania and Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th Street and Civic Center Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4399, USA
Anesth Analg 94:1484-8, table of contents. 2002Pain during venipuncture is a major source of concern to children and their caretakers. Iontophoresis is a novel technique that uses an electrical current to facilitate movement of solute ions (lidocaine) across the stratum corneum ..
- Cystic fibrosis in Korean children:a case report identified by a quantitative pilocarpine iontophoresis sweat test and genetic analysisKang Mo Ahn
Department of Pediatrics, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 20:153-7. 2005..in both lungs, and their diagnosis was confirmed by the repeated analysis of a quantitative pilocarpine iontophoresis test (QPIT). The sweat chloride concentrations of the first patient were 108.1 mM/L and 96.7 mM/L...
- A study of lidocaine iontophoresis for pediatric venipunctureJohn B Rose
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Anesth Analg 94:867-71, table of contents. 2002In this randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study, we evaluated the safety and efficacy of lidocaine iontophoresis for the prevention of pain associated with venipuncture in 59 children aged 6-17 yr...
- Vascular and neural mechanisms of ACh-mediated vasodilation in the forearm cutaneous microcirculationMartin Berghoff
Department of Neurology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Appl Physiol 92:780-8. 2002..The findings suggest that prostanoids do not contribute significantly to basal CuBF or endothelium-dependent vasodilation in the forearm microcirculation. In contrast, prostanoids are mediators of the ACh-provoked axon reflex...
- Transcorneal and transscleral iontophoresis of dexamethasone phosphate using drug loaded hydrogelEsther Eljarrat-Binstock
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Control Release 106:386-90. 2005PURPOSE: To evaluate dexamethasone penetration to the eye after a short transcorneal and transscleral iontophoresis using a drug loaded hydrogel assembled on a portable iontophoretic device...
- Determination of lidocaine concentrations in skin after transdermal iontophoresis: effects of vasoactive drugsJ E Riviere
Cutaneous Pharmacology and Toxicology Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27606
Pharm Res 9:211-4. 1992..These studies support the hypothesis that coiontophoresis of vasoactive drugs modulates the transdermal delivery of lidocaine, in part by altering the cutaneous "depot."..
- Iontophoresis and sonophoresis stimulate epidermal cytokine expression at energies that do not provoke a barrier abnormality: lamellar body secretion and cytokine expression are linked to altered epidermal calcium levelsEung Ho Choi
Department of Dermatology, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine, Wonju, Korea
J Invest Dermatol 121:1138-44. 2003..b>Iontophoresis and sonophoresis with the energies that do not disrupt the skin barrier, but induce changes in the epidermal ..
- Iontophoresis of monomeric insulin analogues in vitro: effects of insulin charge and skin pretreatmentL Langkjaer
Biologics Development, Novo Nordisk A S, Bagsvaerd, Denmark
J Control Release 51:47-56. 1998..The flux during cathodal iontophoresis through intact skin was insignificant for human hexameric insulin, and only low and variable fluxes were ..
- Transdermal iontophoresis of insulin: IV. Influence of chemical enhancersOmathanu Pillai
Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical, Education and Research (NIPER, Sector-67, SAS Nagar 160 062, Punjab, India
Int J Pharm 269:109-20. 2004Transdermal iontophoresis per se may not be able to achieve significant permeation of large peptides like insulin, thereby necessitating the use of combination strategies involving chemical enhancers and iontophoresis...
- Methotrexate delivery to the eye using transscleral hydrogel iontophoresisEsther Eljarrat Binstock
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Curr Eye Res 32:639-46. 2007To evaluate methotrexate penetration and distribution profile in ocular structures after short low current transscleral hydrogel iontophoresis.
- Delivery of antisense oligonucleotide to the cornea by iontophoresisM Berdugo
Association Claude Bermond, INSERM U450, Paris, France
Antisense Nucleic Acid Drug Dev 13:107-14. 2003We wished to evaluate the potential of iontophoresis to promote the delivery of antisense oligonucleotides (ODN) directed at the vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-R2 receptor (KDR/Flk) to the cornea of the rat eye...
- Tolerance of ocular iontophoresis in healthy volunteersThomas M Parkinson
Research and Development, IOMED, Inc, Salt Lake City, Utah 84120 9941, USA
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 19:145-51. 2003..The OcuPhor trade mark system has promise for noninvasive drug delivery to the eye...
- Iontophoresis in vivo demonstrates a key role for GABA(A) and glycinergic inhibition in shaping frequency response areas in the inferior colliculus of guinea pigF E LeBeau
Department of Physiological Sciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 21:7303-12. 2001..We used the powerful combination of iontophoresis with detailed analysis of frequency response areas to test the hypothesis that GABAergic and glycinergic ..
- Selective abolition of adrenergic vasoconstrictor responses in skin by local iontophoresis of bretyliumD L Kellogg
Department of Physiology, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78284
Am J Physiol 257:H1599-606. 1989..To accomplish this we combined laser-Doppler velocimetry (LDV) with the local iontophoresis of bretylium in 10 studies with eight healthy subjects. Each subject had two forearm sites (0...
- Effects of vasoactive drugs on transdermal lidocaine iontophoresisJ E Riviere
Cutaneous Pharmacology and Toxicology Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27606
J Pharm Sci 80:615-20. 1991..HCI was studied in in vitro cells, in the isolated perfused porcine skin flap (IPPSF), and in vivo in pigs. Iontophoresis of lidocaine in vitro across human and porcine skin were similar, supporting the use of porcine skin as an ..
- Regulation of human cutaneous circulation evaluated by laser Doppler flowmetry, iontophoresis, and spectral analysis: importance of nitric oxide and prostaglandinesPer Kvandal
Department of Anesthesiology, Ulleval University Hospital, 0407 Oslo, Norway
Microvasc Res 65:160-71. 2003..Basal cutaneous perfusion and perfusion responses during iontophoresis with the endothelium-dependent vasodilator acetylcholine (ACh) and the endothelium-independent vasodilator ..
- Enhanced delivery of 5-aminolevulinic acid esters by iontophoresis in vitroRenata F V Lopez
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Photochem Photobiol 77:304-8. 2003..b>Iontophoresis of methyl-ALA and hexyl-ALA also increased the amount of prodrug delivered into the skin...
- Effect of DC/mDC iontophoresis and terpenes on transdermal permeation of methotrexate: in vitro studyR Prasad
Centre for Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
Int J Pharm 333:70-8. 2007..mice skin was studied in vitro after pretreatment with terpenes and ethanol, alone or in combination with iontophoresis (DC/mDC)...
- Examination of penetration routes and distribution of ionic permeants during and after transscleral iontophoresis with magnetic resonance imagingSarah A Molokhia
Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Int J Pharm 335:46-53. 2007..In the present study, anodal and cathodal constant current transscleral iontophoresis were conducted with excised sclera in side-by-side diffusion cells in vitro and with rabbits in vivo...
- Iontophoresis of antibiotics into segmental allograftsP P C Khoo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical Engineering and Physics Department Royal Perth Hospital, Wellington Street Campus, Box X2213 GPO, Perth, Western Australia 6847, Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1149-57. 2006b>Iontophoresis is a novel technique which may be used to facilitate the movement of antibiotics into the substance of bone using an electrical potential applied externally...
- Transdermal delivery of insulin from poloxamer gel: ex vivo and in vivo skin permeation studies in rat using iontophoresis and chemical enhancersOmathanu Pillai
Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER, Sector-67, S.A.S. Nagar, 160062, Punjab, India
J Control Release 89:127-40. 2003Gels are considered to be the most suitable delivery vehicle for iontophoresis, as they can be easily amalgamated with the iontophoretic delivery system and can also match the contours of the skin...
- Monitoring of urea and potassium by reverse iontophoresis in vitroValentine Wascotte
Universite Catholique de Louvain, Unite de Pharmacie Galenique, Avenue Emmanuel Mounier, Brussels, Belgium
Pharm Res 24:1131-7. 2007Reverse iontophoresis is an alternative to blood sampling for the monitoring of endogenous molecules...
- Effect of electroporation and pH on the iontophoretic transdermal delivery of human insulinSeiji Tokumoto
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Josai University, 1-1 Keyakidai, Sakado, Saitama 350-0295, Japan
Int J Pharm 326:13-9. 2006The synergistic effect of electroporation (EP) and iontophoresis (IP) on the in vivo percutaneous absorption of human insulin was evaluated in rats. Passive diffusion and IP alone (0...
- Enhanced oligonucleotide delivery to mouse retinal cells using iontophoresisCharlotte Andrieu-Soler
INSERM, U598, Paris, France
Mol Vis 12:1098-107. 2006..To study the combination of oligodeoxynucleotides (ODNs) intravitreous injection and saline transpalpebral iontophoresis on the delivery of ODNs to photoreceptors in the newborn rd1/rd1 mice...
- Differences in endothelial function and vascular reactivity between Scottish and Arabic populationsK E Elherik
Vascular Diseases Research Unit, University Department of Medicine, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee
Scott Med J 48:85-7. 2003..and -independent vascular responses were measured in the forearm skin using laser Doppler imaging after iontophoresis of increasing doses of acetylcholine and sodium nitroprusside, respectively...
- Effect of regular physical training on cutaneous microvascular reactivityHelena Lenasi
Institute of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:606-12. 2004..To investigate whether regular intense physical training induces changes in microvascular reactivity of human glabrous and nonglabrous skin...
- Iontophoretic in vivo transdermal delivery of beta-blockers in hairless rats and reduced skin irritation by liposomal formulationRajkumar Conjeevaram
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, Mercer University, Atlanta, Georgia 30341 4155, USA
Pharm Res 20:1496-501. 2003..To demonstrate the in vivo transdermal delivery and establish the comparative pharmacokinetics of five beta-blockers in hairless rat...
- Transdermal reverse iontophoresis of valproate: a noninvasive method for therapeutic drug monitoringM Begoña Delgado-Charro
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, CH 1211 Geneva, Switzerland, and Centre International de Recherche et d Enseignement, Pharmapeptides Archamps, France
Pharm Res 20:1508-13. 2003The objectives of this work were (a) to explore the potential of transdermal reverse iontophoresis for therapeutic drug monitoring and (b) to develop an "internal standard" calibration procedure so as to render the technique ..
- Influence of electrical parameters in the iontophoretic delivery of a small peptide: in vitro studies using arginine-vasopressin as a model peptideVinod B Nair
Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER, Sector-67, SAS Nagar 160062, Punjab, India
Farmaco 59:583-93. 2004..FT-IR and TGA studies showed that skin hydration increased as a function of CD and duration and all the results could be explained on the basis of increased skin hydration...
- The effect of pretreatment with terpenes on transdermal iontophoretic delivery of arginine vasopressinVinod B Nair
Department of Pharmaceutics, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER, Sector-67, SAS Nagar, Punjab 160 062, India
Farmaco 59:575-81. 2004This study investigates the effects of terpenes and iontophoresis on the in vitro permeation of arginine vasopressin (AVP) through rat skin and the biophysical changes induced by the chemical enhancers in the stratum corneum (SC) lipids ..
- Prostaglandins participate in the late phase of the vascular response to acetylcholine iontophoresis in humansS Durand
Laboratory of Vascular Investigations, University Hospital, 49033 Angers Cedex, France
J Physiol 561:811-9. 2004The participation of prostaglandins (PGs) in the cutaneous vasodilatation to acetylcholine (ACh) applied via iontophoresis is under debate...
- Role of transdermal potential difference during iontophoretic drug deliveryAndriy Bandrivskyy
Department of Physics, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:1683-5. 2004Potential differences have been measured during transdermal iontophoresis in order to establish the effect of voltage, as opposed to current, on cutaneous blood flow...
- Transdermal iontophoresis of 5-fluorouracil combined with electroporation and laser treatmentJia You Fang
Pharmaceutics Laboratory, Graduate Institute of Natural Products, Chang Gung University, 259 Wen Hwa 1st Road, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan, Taiwan
Int J Pharm 270:241-9. 2004The influence of iontophoresis and other physical enhancement methods such as electroporation and erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet (YAG) laser on the skin permeation of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) was examined...
- Transdermal iontophoresis of insulin: III. Influence of electronic parametersO Pillai
Department of Biotechnology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER, S.A.S. Nagar, India
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 26:399-408. 2004Transdermal iontophoresis is a physical enhancement strategy primarily for charged molecules and offers a number of advantages for the delivery of peptides and proteins...
- Iontophoretic drug deliveryYogeshvar N Kalia
School of Pharmacy, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 56:619-58. 2004..b>Iontophoresis provides a mechanism to enhance the penetration of hydrophilic and charged molecules across the skin...
- Electrically assisted skin delivery of liposomal estradiol; phospholipid as damage retardantEbtessam A Essa
Drug Delivery Group, School of Pharmacy, University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD7 1DP, UK
J Control Release 95:535-46. 2004..Transdermal penetration studies involved occluded passive penetration for 12 h and cathodic iontophoresis (0.8 mA/cm(2)) for 8 h for all systems...
- Iontophoresis: the process behind noninvasive drug deliveryEugene R Viscusi
Department of Anesthesiology, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 30:292-4. 2005
- Dose-dependent vasodilatory effects of acetylcholine and local warming on skin microcirculationSamuel Christen
Division of Clinical Pathophysiology, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:659-64. 2004..These techniques represent a unique means to investigate noninvasively the functional vasodilatory capacity of the skin microvasculature...
- Transdermal delivery of interferon alpha-2B using microporation and iontophoresis in hairless ratsAdvait V Badkar
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Mercer University, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Pharm Res 24:1389-95. 2007To demonstrate transdermal delivery of interferon alpha-2b (IFNalpha2b) in hairless rats through aqueous microchannels (micropores) created in the skin and enhanced by iontophoresis.
- Transdermal delivery of cytochrome C--A 12.4 kDa protein--across intact skin by constant-current iontophoresisJ Cázares Delgadillo
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva and University of Lausanne, 30 Quai Ernest Ansermet, 1211, Geneva, Switzerland
Pharm Res 24:1360-8. 2007..To demonstrate the transdermal iontophoretic delivery of a small (12.4 kDa) protein across intact skin...
- Combined effects of iontophoretic and chemical enhancement on drug delivery. II. Transport across human and murine skinL M A Nolan
School of Chemistry, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
Int J Pharm 341:114-24. 2007..The use of oleic acid and iontophoresis as penetration enhancement techniques, used separately and simultaneously, was also investigated...
- Alternating current (AC) iontophoretic transport across human epidermal membrane: effects of AC frequency and amplitudeGuang Yan
Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Pharm Res 25:616-24. 2008As a continuing effort to understand the mechanisms of alternating current (AC) transdermal iontophoresis and the iontophoretic transport pathways in the stratum corneum (SC), the objectives of the present study were to determine the ..
- Quantitative structure-permeation relationship for iontophoretic transport across the skinBlaise Mudry
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Geneva, University of Lausanne, 30 Quai Ernest Ansermet, Geneva 4, Switzerland
J Control Release 122:165-72. 2007The objective was to relate the efficiency of a charged drug to carry current across the skin during iontophoresis to its structural and/or physicochemical properties...
- Transdermal timolol delivery from a Pluronic gelD F Stamatialis
Institute for Biomedical Technology, Membrane Technology-EMI Twente, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Twente, Enschede, The Netherlands
J Control Release 116:e53-5. 2006
- Sumatriptan succinate transdermal delivery systems for the treatment of migraineC Balaguer-Fernández
Departamento de Fisiologia, Farmacologia y Toxicologia, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales y de la Salud, Universidad CEU Cardenal Herrera, 46113 Moncada, Spain
J Pharm Sci 97:2102-9. 2008..05). In addition, the application of iontophoresis to the wet methyl cellulose-Azone formulation produced a much higher increase of sumatriptan transdermal flux.
- Topical non-iontophoretic application of acetylcholine and nitroglycerin via a translucent patch: a new means for assessing microvascular reactivityRobert B Schonberger
Doris Duke Clinicial Research, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 CedarStreet, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Yale J Biol Med 79:1-7. 2006..significant local vasodilatory responses comparable to those achieved with nitroglycerin without requiring iontophoresis. The means of transdermal delivery and monitoring described herein may constitute a new minimally invasive way ..
- Microalbuminuria in Type 2 diabetes indicates impaired microvascular vasomotion and perfusionOle Schmiedel
Diabetic Centre and Academic Unit, Maelor Hospital, University of Wales College of Medicine, Gladstone Centre, Wrexham, UK
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H3424-31. 2007..density at low and very low frequencies) were measured by laser-Doppler flowmetry after local heat and iontophoresis of ACh and sodium nitroprusside...
- Synergistic effect of iontophoresis and soluble microneedles for transdermal delivery of methotrexateViswatej Vemulapalli
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Mercer University, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
J Pharm Pharmacol 60:27-33. 2008..Delivery was enhanced by iontophoresis and microneedles, both in-vitro and in-vivo...
- Enhancement of iontophoretic transport of diphenhydramine hydrochloride thermosensitive gel by optimization of pH, polymer concentration, electrode design, and pulse rateVikram Kotwal
MCE Society s Allana College of Pharmacy, CAMP, Pune 01, Maharashtra, India
AAPS PharmSciTech 8:E120. 2007..explore the passive and electrically assisted transdermal transport of diphenhydramine hydrochloride (DPH) by iontophoresis. For better bioavailability, better patient compliance, and enhanced delivery of DPH, an iontophoretic drug ..
- Blunted increase of digital skin vasomotion following acetylcholine and sodium nitroprusside iontophoresis in systemic sclerosis patientsM Rossi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:1012-7. 2008..Possible relationships between FSV abnormalities and the severity and/or activity of SSc were also investigated...
- The effect of nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase inhibition on cutaneous microvascular reactivityHelena Lenasi
Institute of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Zaloska 4, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Eur J Appl Physiol 103:719-26. 2008..8 +/- 70.5% in control vs. 733.5 +/- 54.6% in the treated site). These findings indicate that NO- and PGI(2)-independent mechanism plays an important role in the regulation of blood flow in the human skin microcirculation...
- Passive and iontophoretic transdermal penetration of chlorpromazineMaría Javiera Alvarez-Figueroa
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Quimica, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago de Chile, Chile
Pharm Dev Technol 13:271-5. 2008..The in vitro iontophoretic transdermal delivery of chlorpromazine (CPZ) across pig skin was investigated. Anodal iontophoresis considerably increased CPZ skin penetration and accumulation compared with the passive controls...
- Impaired peripheral endothelial microvascular responsiveness in Alzheimer's diseaseZ Khalil
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Melbourne, Melbourne Victoria, Australia
J Alzheimers Dis 11:25-32. 2007..The concept that the neurotoxicity of amyloid beta protein could partly result from vascular effects that may be detected in peripheral microcirculation is new...
- Hyperoxia attenuates endothelial-mediated vasodilation in the human skinFumio Yamazaki
Department of Clinical Pathophysiology, School of Health Sciences, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu, 807 8555 Japan
J Physiol Sci 57:81-4. 2007..The breathing of 100% O(2) decreased (P < 0.05) the vasodilator response to Ach, but not to SNP, suggesting that hyperoxia attenuates endothelial-mediated vasodilation of the human skin...
- Abnormal endothelium-dependent microvascular reactivity in recently preeclamptic womenJudith Blaauw
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Groningen University Medical Centre, Groningen, The Netherlands
Obstet Gynecol 105:626-32. 2005..METHODS: Microvascular skin reactivity was assessed by laser Doppler perfusion monitoring and iontophoresis of acetylcholine (ACh) and sodium nitroprusside (SNP) in 25 women with a history of early onset preeclampsia ..
- Correlation between reactive hyperaemia and acetylcholine induced vasodilation in rat cutaneous microcirculationErwan Heylen
Atherosclerosis 180:419-21. 2005
- Microvascular effects of corticotropin-releasing hormone in human skin vary in relation to estrogen concentration during the menstrual cycleV L Clifton
Mothers and Babies Research Center, Hunter Medical Research Institute, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
J Endocrinol 186:69-76. 2005..These data suggest the variation in CRH-induced dilation in the skin microvasculature during the menstrual cycle may be due to estrogenic effects on mast cell function and not due to direct changes in endothelial cell function...
- Microvascular dysfunction in women with polycystic ovary syndromeK Lakhani
Ultrasound Department, North Middlesex Hospital, London
Hum Reprod 20:3219-24. 2005..CONCLUSION: Despite its limited sample size studied, this is the first demonstration that women with PCOS exhibit microvascular endothelial dysfunction, indicated by an inhibited vasodilatory response to ACh...
- Transdermal iontophoretic delivery of vapreotide acetate across porcine skin in vitroYannic B Schuetz
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva, Geneva, CH-1211, Switzerland
Pharm Res 22:1305-12. 2005..this study was to evaluate the feasibility of delivering vapreotide, a somatostatin analogue, by transdermal iontophoresis. METHODS: In vitro experiments were conducted using dermatomed porcine ear skin and heat-separated epidermis...
- Transdermal iontophoretic delivery of triptorelin in vitroYannic B Schuetz
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Geneva, Geneva CH-1211, Switzerland
J Pharm Sci 94:2175-82. 2005The feasibility of delivering triptorelin ([D-Trp6]LHRH) by transdermal iontophoresis was evaluated in vitro. Peptide electrotransport at different current densities and donor concentrations was measured across porcine ear skin...
- Iontophoretic transdermal delivery of sumatriptan: effect of current density and ionic strengthA Femenía-Font
Departamento de Fisiologia, Farmacologia y Toxicologia, Universidad Cardenal Herrera CEU, 46113 Moncada, Spain
J Pharm Sci 94:2183-6. 2005..The flux increased 385-fold respective to passive diffusion, thus resulting in a transdermal flux of sumatriptan of 1273+/-83 nmol/cm2 h...
- Effect of exogenous urotensin-II on vascular tone in skin microcirculation of patients with essential hypertensionBrigitte Sondermeijer
Department of Medicine, Monash University, The Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Am J Hypertens 18:1195-9. 2005..METHODS: The effect of U-II on vascular tone was determined in the forearm skin microcirculation using iontophoresis to administer the drug and laser Doppler velocimetry to measure microvascular response...
- Gated Carbon Nanotube Membrane Transdermal Drug DeliveryBruce Hinds; Fiscal Year: 2009..20/sq.ft. This membrane would also be expected to have minimal skin irritation potential as compared to iontophoresis, the current non-invasive programmable drug delivery method that could eventually compete with this system on ..
- Gated Carbon Nanotube Membrane Transdermal Drug DeliveryBRUCE JACKSON HINDS; Fiscal Year: 2010..20/sq.ft. This membrane would also be expected to have minimal skin irritation potential as compared to iontophoresis, the current non-invasive programmable drug delivery method that could eventually compete with this system on ..
- Gated Carbon Nanotube Membrane Transdermal Drug DeliveryBruce Hinds; Fiscal Year: 2007..20/sq.ft. This membrane would also be expected to have minimal skin irritation potential as compared to iontophoresis, the current non-invasive programmable drug delivery method that could eventually compete with this system on ..
- Combined Voltammetry/Electrophysiology in Behaving RatsREGINA CARELLI; Fiscal Year: 2009..aversive (quinine) tastant. Aim 4 will expand that study and apply our improved iontophoresis method in conjunction with the combined voltammetry/electrophysiology technology to determine potential causal ..
- Combined Voltammetry/Electrophysiology in Behaving RatsRegina M Carelli; Fiscal Year: 2010..aversive (quinine) tastant. Aim 4 will expand that study and apply our improved iontophoresis method in conjunction with the combined voltammetry/electrophysiology technology to determine potential causal ..
- OCULAR PATHOGENESIS AND THERAPY OF BACTERIAL KERATITISJames Hill; Fiscal Year: 1993..These studies would employ novel drug delivery methods (iontophoresis and collagen shields) capable of delivering large amounts of antibiotic in a short time, as well as two rabbit ..
- INJURY-INDUCES PAIN-- CHEMICAL MODULATION OF NOCICEPTORSSrinivasa Raja; Fiscal Year: 2004..During the coming grant period, norepinephrine iontophoresis in patients with and without SMP will be tested as a new, non-invasive, diagnostic test for SMP (Sp. Aim 1)...
- ELECTROANALYSIS OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND MODULATORSROBERT MARK WIGHTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..5. Iontophoresis coupled with voltammetry...
- A NEW CHLORIDE SWEAT TEST FOR CYSTIC FIBROSIS SCREENINGWARREN WARWICK; Fiscal Year: 2004..three new methods of transporting pilocarpine to the sweat glands and comparing the results to the current iontophoresis method...
- DIFFUSION OF SUBSTANCES THROUGH THE BRAINCharles Nicholson; Fiscal Year: 1999..The work will use a micropipette as a point-source to release molecules into the brain by iontophoresis, a pressure pulse or a controlled infusion...
- Nociceptor Maturation and Response to Peripheral InjuryCHARLES WOODBURY; Fiscal Year: 2009..characterized using a comprehensive suite of natural skin stimuli and then labeled in their entirety through iontophoresis of Neurobiotin...
- PEPTIDES IN ADULT & DEVELOPING CEREBELLAR CIRCUITSJames King; Fiscal Year: 1990..b>Iontophoresis of peptides, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybirdization, and double labeling paradigms using retrograde ..
- OCULAR HSV: LATENCY, REACTIVATION, & RECURRENCEJames Hill; Fiscal Year: 1991..shedding and recurrent epithelial disease will continue in two previously developed rabbit models: 1) ocular iontophoresis of adrenergic agents, and 2) production of adrenergic agonists and antagonists will be used to define the ..
- Injury Induced Facilitated Neurogenic InflammationWade Kingery; Fiscal Year: 2006..A less invasive method will use cutaneous iontophoresis of substance P to evoke a facilitated vasodilatation response measured by laser Doppler...
- ELECTROANALYSIS OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND MODULATORSRobert Wightman; Fiscal Year: 2007..2. To develop and use iontophoresis with voltammetry to introduce chemical substances directly at the site where pH and dopamine measurements are ..
- OCULAR HSV--LATENCY, REACTIVATION, AND RECURRENCEJames Hill; Fiscal Year: 1993..The methodology to be employed includes iontophoresis of adrenergic agents,...
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2007..Combinations of single unit recording, microinjections, behavioral testing and iontophoresis will be performed to reveal the neurophysiological basis for improgan antinociception...
- SPINAL AND PROJECTION MECHANISMS RELATED TO PAINEDWARD PERL; Fiscal Year: 1992..Functionally characterized dorsal root ganglion cells, marked intracellularly by iontophoresis with a label (lucifer yellow, HRP) from recording micropipettes, would be tested for reactivity with ..