Summary: The injection of drugs, most often analgesics, into the spinal canal without puncturing the dura mater.
Publications206 found, 100 shown here
- Efficacy of epidural injections of Kenalog and Celestone in the treatment of lower back painJeffrey Stanczak
Department of Radiology, Division of Musculoskeletal Imaging, University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics, Clinical Science Center E3 311, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792 3252, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 181:1255-8. 2003..We retrospectively reviewed 597 patients who had epidural corticosteroid injections to determine any difference in Kenalog or Celestone efficacy...
- Treatment of lumbosacral radicular pain with epidural steroid injectionsP J Papagelopoulos
A' Department of Orthopedics, Athens University Medical School, Greece
Orthopedics 24:145-9. 2001..Early pain relief may be anticipated after epidural steroid injections in 80% of patients with radicular symptoms due to disk herniation or spinal stenosis...
- Lumbar epidural steroid injectionsStuart M Weinstein
Puget Sound Sports and Spine Physicians, 1600 E Jefferson, Suite 401, Seattle, WA 98122 5467, USA
Spine J 3:37S-44S. 2003
- Spinal manipulation, epidural injections, and self-care for sciatica: a pilot study for a randomized clinical trialGert Bronfort
Wolfe Harris Center for Clinical Studies, Northwestern Health Sciences University, Bloomington, MN 55431, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 27:503-8. 2004..To assess the feasibility of recruiting sciatica patients and to evaluate their compliance in preparation for a full-scale randomized clinical trial. We also aimed to determine the responsiveness of key outcome measures...
- CT fluoroscopy-guided epidural injections: technique and resultsAndrew L Wagner
Department of Radiology, Rockingham Memorial Hospital, 235 Cantrell Avenue, Harrisonburg, FL 22801, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25:1821-3. 2004Lumbar epidural injections are typically performed blindly or with fluoroscopic guidance...
- Complications of fluoroscopically guided interlaminar cervical epidural injectionsKenneth P Botwin
Florida Spine Institute, Clearwater, FL, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:627-33. 2003To assess the incidence of complications of fluoroscopically guided interlaminar cervical epidural injections.
- Fluoroscopically guided cervical interlaminar epidural injections using the midline approach: an analysis of epidurography contrast patternsKwang Su Kim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Gwangju Saewoori Spine Hospital, Seogu, Gwangju, Korea
Anesth Analg 108:1658-61. 2009The purpose of this study was to evaluate epidurography contrast patterns in fluoroscopically guided cervical interlaminar epidural injections using the midline approach.
- The preliminary results of a comparative effectiveness evaluation of adhesiolysis and caudal epidural injections in managing chronic low back pain secondary to spinal stenosis: a randomized, equivalence controlled trialLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Pain Physician 12:E341-54. 2009Lumbar surgery and epidural injections for spinal stenosis are the most commonly performed interventions in the United States. However, there is only moderate evidence to the effectiveness of surgery and caudal epidural injections...
- Analysis of the growth of epidural injections and costs in the Medicare population: a comparative evaluation of 1997, 2002, and 2006 dataLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Pain Physician 13:199-212. 2010..b>Epidural injections and facet joint interventions are the 2 most commonly utilized procedures in interventional pain management...
- Preliminary results of a randomized, equivalence trial of fluoroscopic caudal epidural injections in managing chronic low back pain: Part 4--Spinal stenosisLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
Pain Physician 11:833-48. 2008..the United States, one of the most commonly performed interventions for managing chronic low back pain are epidural injections, including their use for spinal stenosis...
- Transforaminal epidural steroid injections in lumbosacral radiculopathy: a prospective randomized studyVijay B Vad
The Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York 10021, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:11-6. 2002..A prospective study randomized by patient choice from the private practice of a single physician affiliated with a major teaching hospital was conducted...
- Dural puncture and subdural injection: a complication of lumbar transforaminal epidural injectionsBradly S Goodman
University of Missouri, Columbia, Alabama Orthopedic Spine, and Sports Medicine Associates, Birmingham, AL 35235, USA
Pain Physician 10:697-705. 2007..The hazard of dural puncture during transforaminal epidural injections, the anatomy of the dural and thecal sac, the potential for subdural injections, and relevant literature ..
- Anatomy of the cervical intervertebral foramina: vulnerable arteries and ischemic neurologic injuries after transforaminal epidural injectionsMarc A Huntoon
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Pain 117:104-11. 2005..Critical arteries are located in the posterior aspect of the intervertebral foramen and may be vulnerable to injection or injury during transforaminal epidural steroid injection...
- Preganglionic approach to transforaminal epidural steroid injectionsHenry L Lew
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Stanford University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, California, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 83:378. 2004
- Efficacy of steroid and nonsteroid caudal epidural injections for low back pain and sciatica: a prospective, randomized, double-blind clinical trialFares E Sayegh
3rd Orthopaedic Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Medical School, Papageorgiou General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:1441-7. 2009..Prospective, double-blind, randomized, case-control study...
- The effectiveness of fluoroscopic cervical interlaminar epidural injections in managing chronic cervical disc herniation and radiculitis: preliminary results of a randomized, double-blind, controlled trialLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Pain Physician 13:223-36. 2010..Cervical epidural injections for managing chronic neck pain with disc herniation are one of the commonly performed non-surgical ..
- Injectate volumes needed to reach specific landmarks in lumbar transforaminal epidural injectionsMichael B Furman
Orthopaedic and Spine Specialists, 1855 Powder Mill Road, York, PA 17403, USA
PM R 2:625-35. 2010To identify the volumes of contrast material needed to reach specific landmarks during lumbar transforaminal epidural injections (L-TFEIs).
- Effective dose of CT- and fluoroscopy-guided perineural/epidural injections of the lumbar spine: a comparative studyGebhard Schmid
Department of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Johanna Etienne Krankenhaus, Neuss, Germany
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 29:84-91. 2006The objective of this study was to compare the effective radiation dose of perineural and epidural injections of the lumbar spine under computed tomography (CT) or fluoroscopic guidance with respect to dose-reduced protocols...
- Preliminary results of a randomized, equivalence trial of fluoroscopic caudal epidural injections in managing chronic low back pain: Part 3--Post surgery syndromeLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
Pain Physician 11:817-31. 2008..b>Epidural injections are most commonly used in post surgery syndrome...
- Incidence of simultaneous epidural and vascular injection during lumbosacral transforaminal epidural injectionsMatthew Smuck
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, The Spine Program, University of Michigan, Suite 202, 325 E Eisenhower Pkwy, Ann Arbor, MI 48108 0744, USA
Spine J 7:79-82. 2007..of vascular penetration during contrast confirmed fluoroscopically guided transforaminal lumbosacral epidural injections has been reported as 8.9% to 21.3% depending on the level of injection...
- Transforaminal epidural steroid injection for lumbosacral radiculopathy: preganglionic versus conventional approachJoon Woo Lee
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Gyeongi do, Korea
Korean J Radiol 7:139-44. 2006....
- Efficacy of transforaminal versus interspinous corticosteroid injectionin discal radiculalgia - a prospective, randomised, double-blind studyE Thomas
Lapeyronie Hospital, Montpellier, France
Clin Rheumatol 22:299-304. 2003..In recent discal radiculalgia, the efficacy of radio-guided transforaminal epidural corticosteroid injections was higher than that obtained with blindly-performed interspinous injections...
- Ultrasound as a screening tool for proceeding with caudal epidural injectionsCarl P Chen
Department of Physical Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital at Linkou, and College of Medicine, Chang Gung University, Kwei Shan, Tao Yuan County, Taiwan
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:358-63. 2010..To study the anatomical structure of the sacral hiatus using ultrasound. Based on the sonographic images of the sacral hiatus, the feasibility of caudal epidural injection can then be assessed...
- A controlled study of caudal epidural injections of triamcinolone plus procaine for the management of intractable sciaticaK Bush
Department of Rheumatology, Royal Free Hospital, London
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 16:572-5. 1991..This preliminary study assesses the efficacy of epidural injections of 80 mg triamcinolone acetonide plus 0...
- Fluoroscopically guided interlaminar cervical epidural injectionsRonald Lieberman
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1568-9; author reply 1569. 2003
- Size and aggregation of corticosteroids used for epidural injectionsRichard Derby
Spinal Diagnostics and Treatment Center, Daly City, California, USA
Pain Med 9:227-34. 2008..One might assume that corticosteroids with particles significantly smaller than red blood cells might be safer...
- Preliminary results of a randomized, equivalence trial of fluoroscopic caudal epidural injections in managing chronic low back pain: Part 2--Disc herniation and radiculitisLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
Pain Physician 11:801-15. 2008..The prevalence of sciatica or radiculitis ranges from 1.2% to 43%. Epidural injections are one of the most commonly performed interventions in the United States in managing chronic low back and ..
- Accuracy of intermittent fluoroscopy to detect intravascular injection during transforaminal epidural injectionsMatthew Smuck
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, The Spine Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:E205-10. 2008..Prospective validity study...
- [(Modic) signal alterations of vertebral endplates and their correlation to a minimally invasive treatment of lumbar disc herniation using epidural injections]J P Liphofer
Institut für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Radiologie und Nuklearmedizin, St Josef Hospital Bochum
Rofo 178:1105-14. 2006..influence of (Modic) signal alterations (SA) of the cartilage endplate (CEP) of vertebrae L3-S1 on the outcome of an in-patient minimally invasive treatment (MIT) using epidural injections on patients with lumbar disc herniation (LDH).
- Is the outcome of caudal epidural injections affected by patient positioning?Daoud Makki
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust, Hamstel Road, Harlow, Essex, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:E687-90. 2010..A prospective, randomized controlled trial...
- Epidural steroid injection for nerve root compression. A randomised, controlled trialJ Wilson-MacDonald
Nuffield Orthopaedic Hospital, Headington, Oxford, England, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:352-5. 2005..There was a significant reduction in pain early on in those having an epidural steroid injection but no difference in the long term between the two groups. The rate of subsequent operation in the groups was similar...
- Intravascular flow patterns in transforaminal epidural injections: a comparative study of the cervical and lumbar vertebral segmentsDo Wan Kim
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Pain Clinic, College of Medicine, Ajou University, Suwon, Korea
Anesth Analg 109:233-9. 2009..One of the presumptive reasons for this complication is inadvertent intravascular injection. We sought to identify the incidence of intravascular injections in cervical and lumbar spinal segments during TEI...
- Distant skip level discitis and vertebral osteomyelitis after caudal epidural injection: a case report of a rare complication of epidural injectionsWai Mun Yue
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:E209-11. 2003..A case report of distant discitis and vertebral osteomyelitis involving skip levels after caudal epidural steroid injection...
- Interlaminar versus transforaminal epidural injections for the treatment of symptomatic lumbar intervertebral disc herniationsMichael K Schaufele
The Emory Spine Center, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30329, USA
Pain Physician 9:361-6. 2006..Transforaminal epidural injections are believed to produce better clinical outcomes than interlaminar epidural injections.
- Preliminary results of a randomized, equivalence trial of fluoroscopic caudal epidural injections in managing chronic low back pain: Part 1--Discogenic pain without disc herniation or radiculitisLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
Pain Physician 11:785-800. 2008..Even though epidural injections are frequently administered in managing axial low back pain, the evidence is lacking.
- Epidural injections for the treatment of symptomatic lumbar herniated discsJeffrey C Wang
UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 6902, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 15:269-72. 2002..Patients treated with injections may be able to avoid surgical treatment up to this period and perhaps even longer...
- Paralysis after transforaminal epidural injection and previous spinal surgeryMarc A Huntoon
Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Pain Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 29:494-5. 2004..This case discusses a rare but devastating complication of transforaminal epidural injection. Elements in the patient's history that may be risk factors are discussed...
- [Advantage of ropivacaine for postoperative epidural analgesia following leg orthopedic surgery]Akifumi Kanai
Department of Anesthesiology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Sagamihara 228 8555
Masui 54:8-13. 2005..The present study was therefore performed to investigate the analgesic effect of continuous postoperative epidural infusion of ropivacaine with fentanyl in comparison with that of bupivacaine or ropivacaine alone...
- Inadvertent discogram during epidural steroid injection: a case reportThomas E Schultz
Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital, Glasgow, Montana, USA
AANA J 76:189-91. 2008..This case study presents a situation in which a loss-of-resistance technique resulted in an inadvertent discogram...
- H-reflex latency and nerve root tension sign correlation in fluoroscopically guided, contrast-confirmed, translaminar lumbar epidural steroid-bupivacaine injectionsMichael F Stretanski
Surgical Neurology of North Central Ohio, Mansfield, OH, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:1479-82. 2004....
- The role of caudal epidural injections in the management of low back painPaul A Banaszkiewicz
Elective Orthopaedic Unit, Woodend Hospital, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Bull Hosp Jt Dis 61:127-31. 2003..We found that the outcome of CEI was unpredictable. The clinical value of CEI remains unproven. The decision to perform the procedure may well remain a matter of personal choice and experience...
- Successful treatment of phantom radiculopathy with fluoroscopic epidural steroid injectionsSteve M Aydin
New York University Pain Management Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Pain Med 6:266-8. 2005..We present a patient who experienced new-onset lumbar radiculopathy superimposed on her phantom pain that was successfully treated with fluoroscopic interlaminar and transforaminal epidural steroid injections...
- Lysis of adhesions and epidural injection of steroid/local anaesthetic during epiduroscopy potentially alleviate low back and leg pain in elderly patients with lumbar spinal stenosisT Igarashi
Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Jichi Medical School, Kawachi, Tochigi, Japan
Br J Anaesth 93:181-7. 2004..We investigated the epiduroscopic findings and immediate and long-term changes in back and leg pain after epiduroscopy in elderly patients with spinal stenosis...
- Spinal manipulation postepidural injection for lumbar and cervical radiculopathy: a retrospective case seriesPaul Dougherty
New York Chiropractic College, Seneca Falls, NY 13148, USA
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 27:449-56. 2004..To describe the safety and potential therapeutic benefit of spinal manipulation postepidural injection in the nonsurgical treatment of patients with cervical and lumbar radiculopathy...
- Morphofunctional changes in spinal cord neurons after epidural lidocaineN V Boikova
Pathomorphology Laboratory, Science Research Center
Neurosci Behav Physiol 34:597-601. 2004..The changes recorded varied within the limits of physiological variation and provided evidence predominantly of the functional response of these nerve tissue structures to epidural injections of both sodium chloride and lidocaine.
- Incorrect needle position during lumbar epidural steroid administration: inaccuracy of loss of air pressure resistance and requirement of fluoroscopy and epidurography during needle insertionWalter S Bartynski
Department of Radiology, Division of Neuroradiology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 26:502-5. 2005..Studies assessing efficacy of lumbar epidural steroid injection and individual patient treatments should ensure location of administration with epidurogram to enhance the validity of results...
- Procedure-based nonsurgical management of lumbar zygapophyseal joint cyst-induced radicular painSteven R Sabers
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Medical School, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1767-71. 2005....
- Influence of needle position on lumbar segmental nerve root block selectivityAndré P Wolff
Pain Centre, Department of Anesthesiology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reg Anesth Pain Med 31:523-30. 2006..Study aims include assessment of epidural local anesthetic spread and its relationship to needle position during fluoroscopy-assisted blocks...
- The effect of injection of two vs 10 mL saline on the subsequent spread and quality of epidural analgesia in parturientsSahar M Siddik-Sayyid
Department of Anesthesiology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, POB 11 0236, Beirut, Lebanon
J Clin Anesth 18:575-9. 2006..To determine whether two vs 10 mL of saline injected into the epidural space affects the subsequent spread and quality of epidural analgesia in parturients...
- Interaoperative use of epidural methylprednisolone or bupivacaine for postsurgical lumbar discectomy pain relief: a randomized, placebo-controlled trialIraj Lotfinia
Department of Neurosurgical Sciences, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Ann Saudi Med 27:279-83. 2007..The present study was meant to compare the effects of the intraoperative administration of epidural methylprednisolone and bupivacaine with that of normal saline (placebo) in lumbar disc surgery for postoperative pain control...
- Comparison of the temporary diagnostic relief of transforaminal epidural steroid injection approaches: conventional versus posterolateral techniqueI S Lee
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnam si, Korea
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:204-8. 2007..The purpose of this study was to compare the temporary diagnostic relief and advantages of TFESI performed using the conventional and posterolateral approaches...
- Peridural methylprednisolone and wound infiltration with bupivacaine for postoperative pain control after posterior lumbar spine surgery: a randomized double-blinded placebo-controlled trialKitti Jirarattanaphochai
Department of Orthopaedic, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:609-16; discussion 617. 2007..A randomized, double-blind placebo controlled trial in multimodal analgesia for postoperative pain was conducted...
- The efficacy of lumbar epidural steroid injections in patients with lumbar disc herniationsWilliam E Ackerman
Pain Medicine Consultants P A, Little Rock, Arkansas 72223, USA
Anesth Analg 104:1217-22, tables of contents. 2007..In this study we sought to determine the efficacy of these techniques for the management of radicular pain associated with lumbar disk herniations...
- Increases in lumbosacral injections in the Medicare population: 1994 to 2001Janna Friedly
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98127, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1754-60. 2007..Anecdotal reports and limited data suggest that the use of spinal injections is increasing, despite equivocal evidence about efficacy...
- Fluoroscopically guided caudal epidural steroid injections in degenerative lumbar spine stenosisKenneth Botwin
Florida Spine Institute, Clearwater, FL 33765, USA contactus floridaspineinstitute com
Pain Physician 10:547-58. 2007..Search revealed no prospective studies evaluating the effectiveness of fluoroscopically guided caudal epidural injections on patients with bilateral radicular pain from degenerative lumbar spinal stenosis.
- A randomized controlled trial of the anticatabolic effect of epidural analgesia and hypocaloric glucoseRalph Lattermann
Department of Anesthesia, Royal Victoria Hospital, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reg Anesth Pain Med 32:227-32. 2007..The goal of the present study was to investigate whether epidural analgesia exerts a protein-sparing effect after colorectal surgery in the presence of hypocaloric glucose supply initiated with surgical skin incision...
- The efficacy of epidural analgesia after video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery: a randomized control studyMasakazu Yoshioka
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 12:313-8. 2006..However, it has not yet been established whether epidural anesthesia/analgesia (EA) is necessary after VATS. We therefore conducted a randomized control study to examine whether or not EA is necessary for pain control after VATS...
- Epidural local anesthetic plus corticosteroid for the treatment of cervical brachial radicular pain: single injection versus continuous infusionAlberto Pasqualucci
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University of Perugia, Italy
Clin J Pain 23:551-7. 2007..Efficacy of epidural local anesthetics plus steroids for the treatment of cervicobrachial pain is uncertain...
- Assessment: use of epidural steroid injections to treat radicular lumbosacral pain: report of the Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommittee of the American Academy of NeurologyLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Neurology 69:1190; author reply 1190-1. 2007
- Comparison of perioperative analgesic protocols for dogs undergoing tibial plateau leveling osteotomyMichael G Hoelzler
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37901, USA
Vet Surg 34:337-44. 2005....
- An injection from the past: fluoroscopic evidence of remote injections of radiopaque substancesAnnu Navani
Division of Pain Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94539, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 31:82-5. 2006..Although uncommon, residual effects from contrast agents used more than 2 decades ago are possible. This case report is to alert clinicians to the implications of residual oil-based ionic contrast agents in the intrathecal space...
- The effect of thoracic epidural bupivacaine and an intravenous adrenaline infusion on gastric tube blood flow during esophagectomyOmar Y Al-Rawi
Department of Anaesthesia, Cardiothoracic Centre, Thomas Drive, Liverpool L14 3PE, UK
Anesth Analg 106:884-7, table of contents. 2008..Gastric tube necrosis is a major cause of anastomotic leak after esophagectomy. A correlation has been shown between reduced flux at the anastomotic end of the gastric tube and anastomotic leaks...
- [Comparison of clinical effectiveness of thoracic epidural and intravenous patient-controlled analgesia for the treatment of rib fractures pain in intensive care unit]Ismet Topcu
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Medicine Faculty of Celal Bayar University, Manisa, Turkey
Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 13:205-10. 2007..The results of thoracic epidural and systemic patient controlled analgesia practice were evaluated retrospectively in patients with thoracic trauma...
- Epidural lidocaine induces dose-dependent neurologic injury in ratsTomoko Muguruma
Department of Anesthesiology, Shimane University School of Medicine, Izumo City, Japan
Anesth Analg 103:876-81. 2006..In conclusion, these results suggest that epidural lidocaine causes dose-dependent neurotoxicity after continuous infusion in rats...
- Priapism--a rare complication following continuous epidural morphine and bupivacaine infusionXiulu Ruan
Physicians, Pain Specialists of Alabama, Mobile, AL 36607, USA
Pain Physician 10:707-11. 2007....
- The effects of preoperative extradural bupivacaine and morphine on the stress response in dogs undergoing femoro-tibial joint surgerySithembile Sibanda
Department of Veterinary Surgery, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Vet Anaesth Analg 33:246-57. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy of preoperative extradural bupivacaine and morphine in attenuating the stress response in dogs undergoing femoro-tibial joint surgery...
- Cauda equina syndrome after epidural steroid injection: a case reportAyten Bilir
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Osmangazi University Medical Faculty, Eskisehir, Turkey
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 29:492.e1-3. 2006..Cauda equina syndrome is a rare complication of epidural anesthesia. The following case is a report of cauda equina syndrome possibly caused by epidural injection of triamcinolone and bupivacaine...
- Injectate temperature and discomfort during epidural injectionJ P Stone
Int J Obstet Anesth 15:342-3. 2006
- Comparison of two doses of ropivacaine for lumbosacral epidural analgesia in buffalo calves (Bubalus bubalis)P Kinjavdekar
Division of Surgery, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar 243122 UP, India
Vet Rec 160:766-9. 2007..05) below the baseline in the animals given 10 ml ropivacaine, but the rectal temperature, heart rate, mean arterial pressure, central venous pressure and acid-base and electrolyte parameters did not change significantly in either group...
- A comparison of the analgesic effects of caudal epidural methadone and lidocaine in the horseVeronika H Olbrich
Clinic of Internal Medicine for Ungulates and Small Animals, University of Veterinary Medicine, Vienna, Austria
Vet Anaesth Analg 30:156-64. 2003..To evaluate and compare the effects of caudal epidural administration of methadone (METH) and lidocaine (LIDO) on tolerance to thermal stimulation over the dermatomes of the perineal, sacral, lumbar and thoracic regions in the horse...
- Nonaromatic hydroxylation of bupivacaine during continuous epidural infusion in manRobin Ledger
School of Pharmacy, University of Otago, P O Box 913, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Biochem Biophys Methods 57:105-14. 2003..The metabolite previously identified as (S)-4'-hydroxybupivacaine was not hydroxylated on the xylyl group...
- Epidural infusion pressure in degenerative spinal disease before and after epidural steroid therapyStuart A Dunbar
Department of Anestesia, Tufts University School of Medicine, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts 01199, USA
Anesth Analg 94:417-20, table of contents. 2002..A significant decrease in inline epidural infusion pressure was observed after epidural steroid treatment. This change in pressure may indicate efficacy from epidural steroid injection...
- Role of psoas compartment and caudal epidural steroid injection in spinal stenosis patients associated with low back pain and lower limb radiculopathyMueen Ullah Khan
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Aga Khan University
J Pak Med Assoc 58:490-3. 2008..To study the efficacy, safety and patient satisfaction of psoas compartment and caudal epidural steroid injection in patients with spinal stenosis and lumbosaccral radiculopathy...
- Image-guided epidural steroid injectionsAlyssa T Watanabe
Deparment of Radiology, Long Beach Memorail Medical Center, Long Beach Memorial Hospital, Long Beach, CA 90806, USA
Tech Vasc Interv Radiol 5:186-93. 2002..The technique of performing these injections, including translaminar approach, is described in this article. Necessary precautions and potential risks are also described...
- Prospective comparative study of the effectiveness of epidural morphine and ropivacaine for management of pain after spinal operationsB Al-Khalaf
Department of Neurosurgery, Clinicum Plau am See, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 145:11-6. 2003..Critical review of the literature about the possibilities of management of postoperative pain after spinal operations...
- Intrathecal opioids versus epidural local anesthetics for labor analgesia: a meta-analysisBrenda A Bucklin
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska 98198 4455, USA
Reg Anesth Pain Med 27:23-30. 2002..This meta-analysis compared the analgesic efficacy, side effects, and obstetric outcome of single-injection intrathecal opioid techniques versus epidural local anesthetics in laboring women...
- Fluoroscopically guided lumbar transformational epidural steroid injections in degenerative lumbar stenosis: an outcome studyKenneth P Botwin
Florida Spine Institute, Clearwater, Florida 33765, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 81:898-905. 2002..To identify the short- and long-term therapeutic benefit of fluoroscopically guided lumbar transforaminal epidural steroid injections in patients with radicular leg pain from degenerative lumbar stenosis...
- Results of preemptive epidural administration of morphine with or without bupivacaine in dogs and cats undergoing surgery: 265 cases (1997-1999)Eric Troncy
Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, Saint Hyacinthe, QC, Canada
J Am Vet Med Assoc 221:666-72. 2002....
- The technical aspects of epidural steroid injections: a national surveyRobert Cluff
MGH Pain Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Anesth Analg 95:403-8, table of contents. 2002..The study results indicate that there is no consensus, and that there is a wide variation in current practices...
- [Epidural analgesia during labor: intermittent bolus or patient controlled administration?]L De Eccher
Dipartimento di Anestesia e Rianimazione Terapia Intensiva e Antalgica, U O Anestesia e Rianimazione Baroncini, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Minerva Anestesiol 68:83-7. 2002..The aim of the study was to compare efficacy and side effects produced by two techniques of epidural analgesia during labor: intermittent bolus and patient-controlled epidural analgesia...
- [Treatment of degenerative chronic low back pain with fluoroscopically guided epidural procaine-corticosteroid injection]Slobodan Culafić
Vojnomedicinska akademija, Institut za radiologiju, Beograd, Srbija
Vojnosanit Pregl 65:507-11. 2008..The aim of this study was to find out if fluoroscopically, guided epidural procaine-corticosteroid injection is effective in the treatment of degenerative chronic low back pain...
- The use of electromyography to predict functional outcome following transforaminal epidural spinal injections for lumbar radiculopathyDavid E Fish
Department of Orthopedics, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90404, USA
J Pain 9:64-70. 2008..diagnostic evaluation can predict functional outcome in patients undergoing transforaminal lumbar spine epidural injections. In this retrospective study, functional outcome by Oswestry Disability Index (ODI) and verbal rating scale ..
- Perineal analgesia and hemodynamic effects of the epidural administration of meperidine or hyperbaric bupivacaine in conscious horsesRafael DeRossi
Department of Veterinary Medicine Surgery and Anaesthesiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Federal University of Mato Grosso do Sul State, Caixa Postal 549, Campo Grande, CEP 79070 900, Brazil
Can Vet J 45:42-7. 2004..To conclude, both bupivacaine and meperidine induced long-lasting perineal analgesia, with minimal cardiovascular effects. Analgesia was induced faster and lasted longer with bupivacaine...
- Spinal injection procedures: a review of concepts, controversies, and complicationsManraj K S Heran
Division of Neuroradiology, Vancouver General Hospital, University of British Columbia, 899 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Radiol Clin North Am 46:487-514, v-vi. 2008..In this article, we attempt to highlight the biologic concepts on which these therapies are based, controversies that have arisen with their increasing use, and a description of complications that have been reported...
- Preemptive analgesia for postoperative pain relief in lumbosacral spine surgeries: a randomized controlled trialC Sekar
Department of Orthopedics and Spine Surgery, Ganga Hospital, Swarnambika Layout, Ramnagar, Coimbatore 641 009, India
Spine J 4:261-4. 2004..This is the principle of preemptive analgesia. Although it is often considered superior to other forms of analgesia, its role in postoperative pain relief after lumbosacral spinal surgery has not been fully investigated...
- Caudal bupivacaine supplemented with caudal or intravenous clonidine in children undergoing hypospadias repair: a double-blind studyT G Hansen
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Odense University Hospital, DK 5000 Odense C, Denmark
Br J Anaesth 92:223-7. 2004..Which route of administration of clonidine is the most beneficial remains unknown. We compared the effects of caudal and i.v. clonidine on postoperative analgesia produced by caudal bupivacaine after hypospadias repair...
- [Epidural injections. What is certain?]J Dvorak
Abteilung für Neurologie Spine Unit der Schulthess Klinik Zürich, Switzerland
Orthopade 33:591-3. 2004..The indication for therapeutic peridual or epidural injections are radicular symptoms as a result of disc herniation, foraminal stenosis as well as neurogenic ..
- Interventional techniques: evidence-based practice guidelines in the management of chronic spinal painMark V Boswell
American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, Paducah, KY 42001, USA
Pain Physician 10:7-111. 2007..The evidence-based practice guidelines for the management of chronic spinal pain with interventional techniques were developed to provide recommendations to clinicians in the United States...
- Review of occupational medicine practice guidelines for interventional pain management and potential implicationsLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY 42003, USA
Pain Physician 11:271-89. 2008..interlaminar epidural steroid injections, caudal epidural steroid injections, and lumbar transforaminal epidural injections; caudal percutaneous adhesiolysis; abd spinal cord stimulation were found to be moderate with strong ..
- Systematic review of caudal epidural injections in the management of chronic low back painAnn Conn
Premier Pain Center, Covington, LA, USA
Pain Physician 12:109-35. 2009..has been a lack of well-designed randomized, controlled studies to determine the effectiveness of caudal epidural injections in various conditions - disc herniation and radiculitis, post-lumbar laminectomy syndrome, spinal stenosis, ..
- Reassessment of evidence synthesis of occupational medicine practice guidelines for interventional pain managementLaxmaiah Manchikanti
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Paducah, KY, USA
Pain Physician 11:393-482. 2008....
- A best-evidence review of diagnostic procedures for neck and low-back painSidney M Rubinstein
EMGO Institute, VU University Medical Center, Van der Boechorststraat 7, 1081 BT Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 22:471-82. 2008..accuracy of facet joint blocks in evaluating spinal pain, and moderate evidence for transforaminal epidural injections, as well as sacroiliac joint injections for diagnostic purposes...
- Incidence of intravascular penetration in transforaminal cervical epidural steroid injectionsMichael B Furman
The Center for Pain Management and Rehabilitation, KDV Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, York, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:21-5. 2003..published study demonstrates a high incidence of intravascular injections in transforaminal lumbosacral epidural injections. No studies so far have evaluated the incidence of vascular injections in transforaminal cervical epidural ..
- Lumbar interlaminar epidural injections in managing chronic low back and lower extremity pain: a systematic reviewAllan T Parr
Premier Pain Center, Covington, LA 70433, USA
Pain Physician 12:163-88. 2009..b>Epidural injections are one of the most commonly performed interventions in the United States in managing chronic low back pain...
- Contrast flow characteristics in the cervical epidural space: an analysis of cervical epidurogramsAmitabh Goel
Department of Orthopedics, Wichita Clinic, Wichita, KS 67208, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1576-9. 2006..A single-center prospective analysis of cervical epidurograms, using a crossover design...
- Accuracy of blind versus fluoroscopically guided caudal epidural injectionM Y Stitz
Department of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1371-6. 1999..OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the accuracy of caudal epidural injections performed without the use of fluoroscopic guidance and to determine the value of specific clinical tests ..
- Outbreak of Serratia marcescens infections following injection of betamethasone compounded at a community pharmacyRachel Civen
Los Angles County Department of Health Services, Acute Communicable Disease Control Program, Los Angeles, CA 90012, USA
Clin Infect Dis 43:831-7. 2006In June 2001, following the report of 4 patients with Serratia marcescens meningitis who received epidural injections of betamethasone compounded at a community pharmacy, we initiated an outbreak investigation.
- Comparison of the caudal and lumbar approaches to the epidural spaceC M Price
Department of Pain Management, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 59:879-82. 2000To investigate the accuracy of placement of epidural injections using the lumbar and caudal approaches. To identify which factors, if any, predicted successful placement.
- Systematic review of therapeutic lumbar transforaminal epidural steroid injectionsRicardo M Buenaventura
Pain Relief of Dayton, Centerville, OH, USA
Pain Physician 12:233-51. 2009..However, there are few well-designed randomized, controlled studies to determine the effectiveness of epidural injections. The role and value of transforaminal lumbar epidural steroid injections is still questioned.
- Chronic catheterization of the epidural space in rabbits: a model for behavioural and histopathological studies. Examination of meptazinol neurotoxicityJ B Madsen
Danish Laboratory for Pain Research, Herlev Hospital, University of Copenhagen
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 37:307-13. 1993..neurotoxicological examinations following epidural catheterization, without any injections (three rabbits), epidural injections of saline (four rabbits) and meptazinol (five rabbits) once a day for 14 days...
- Predicting outcomes of transforaminal epidural injections for sciaticaHenry C Tong
University of Michigan, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Spine Program, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Spine J 3:430-4. 2003Previous studies on epidural injections have focused on efficacy and have not evaluated factors predicting outcomes of epidural injections.
- Systemic Application for Injury Site Specific Delivery via Neutrophils to Treat BXUDONG J LI; Fiscal Year: 2013..As such, the use of fluoroscopy-guided lumbar epidural injections of steroids to reduce the local chemo-inflammatory response has increased dramatically since their ..
- Chiropractic, Medication, and Self-care for Neck PainGert Bronfort; Fiscal Year: 2005..It will also provide clinically useful information for health care practitioners, policy makers and, most importantly, those who suffer from this painful and costly condition. ..
- PHARMACOLOGY OF COMBINED EPHEDRINE/CAFFEINE SUPPLEMENTSChristine Haller; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term objective for the proposed studies is to develop Dr. Haller into an independent career clinical researcher in this field of study. ..