- Efficacy and safety of a single intra-articular injection of non-animal stabilized hyaluronic acid (NASHA) in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee
Roy D Altman
GRECC, Miami VAMC, Miami, FL, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 12:642-9. 2004
..Future trials of OA that examine a local therapy might need to consider restricting the study population to those patients having OA of only the signal joint...
- Intra-articular hyaluronic acid after knee arthroscopy: a two-year study
Berufsgenossenschaftliche Unfallklinik, Prof Küntscher Strasse 8, 82418, Murnau am Staffelsee, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 15:537-46. 2007
..This was supported by findings of a survey of 66 patients at 2 years after treatment in this study. Level I prospective, randomised controlled double-blind study...
- Practice tips. Knee joint injections and aspirations: the triangle technique
Leonard E Lockman
St Vital Family Medical Clinic, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Can Fam Physician 52:1403-4. 2006
- Reduced hospital stay, morphine consumption, and pain intensity with local infiltration analgesia after unicompartmental knee arthroplasty
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Orthop 80:213-9. 2009
..The degree of postoperative pain is usually moderate to severe following knee arthroplasty. We investigated the efficacy of local administration of analgesics into the operating area, both intraoperatively and postoperatively...
- Corticosteroid injections for painful shoulder: a meta-analysis
Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, PB 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
Br J Gen Pract 55:224-8. 2005
..There are no systematic reviews of corticosteroids for shoulder pain that calculate the numbers needed to treat...
- The placebo effect and its determinants in osteoarthritis: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials
Academic Rheumatology, University of Nottingham, Clinical Sciences Building, City Hospital, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 67:1716-23. 2008
- Intraarticular sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan) in the treatment of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized clinical trial. Hyalgan Study Group
R D Altman
Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, University of Miami, Florida, USA
J Rheumatol 25:2203-12. 1998
..To determine efficacy and safety of intraarticular (IA) hyaluronic acid (HA; Hyalgan) versus placebo and a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug for osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee...
- Intraarticular drug delivery in osteoarthritis
Bone and Cartilage Research, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Novartis Pharma AG, WKL 125 13 59, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 58:226-42. 2006
..The development of novel drugs in combination with new formulations for IA treatment of OA, represents a promising approach in this challenging area of research...
- Efficacy of periarticular multimodal drug injection in total knee arthroplasty. A randomized trial
Constant A Busch
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:959-63. 2006
- Postoperative analgesia in total hip arthroplasty: a randomized double-blinded, placebo-controlled study on peroperative and postoperative ropivacaine, ketorolac, and adrenaline wound infiltration
Lasse Juel Andersen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Odense University Hospital, Middelfart, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:187-92. 2007
..Comfort and lack of pain are important for optimal mobilization after hip replacement. We investigated the efficacy of double wound infiltration...
- A randomized comparative study of short term response to blind injection versus sonographic-guided injection of local corticosteroids in patients with painful shoulder
Department of Rheumatology, The Research Unit, and The Epidemiology Unit, Severo Ochoa Hospital, Madrid, Spain
J Rheumatol 31:308-14. 2004
..We prospectively compared the short term response to randomized blind injection versus sonographic-guided injection of local corticosteroid in patients with painful shoulder...
- Comparison of peri- and intraarticular analgesia with femoral nerve block after total knee arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial
Department of Anesthesiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:172-9. 2007
..Postoperative pain after total knee arthroplasty (TKA) can be difficult to manage and may delay recovery. Recent studies have suggested that periarticular infiltration with local anesthetics may improve outcome...
- Reduced hospital stay and narcotic consumption, and improved mobilization with local and intraarticular infiltration after hip arthroplasty: a randomized clinical trial of an intraarticular technique versus epidural infusion in 80 patients
Karen V Andersen
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:180-6. 2007
..We compared wound infiltration combined with intraarticular injection of local anesthetics for pain relief after total hip arthroplasty (THA) with the well-established practice of epidural infusion...
- Evaluation of the pituitary-adrenal axis function following single intraarticular injection of methylprednisolone
Ha Emek Medical Center, Afula, Israel
Arthritis Rheum 52:924-8. 2005
..To determine the effects of a single session of intraarticular methylprednisolone (IA-MP) injections on the function of the pituitary-adrenal axis...
- Moderation of iodoacetate-induced experimental osteoarthritis in rats by matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors
M J Janusz
Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 8700 Mason Montgomery Rd, Mason, Ohio 45040 9462, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 9:751-60. 2001
..To determine the effect of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) inhibitors in mono-iodoacetate-induced arthritis in rats...
- A phase I/IIa study on intra-articular injection of holmium-166-chitosan complex for the treatment of knee synovitis of rheumatoid arthritis
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon-dong, Seodaemun-ku, 120-752, Seoul, Korea
Eur J Nucl Med 28:489-97. 2001
- Intra-articular injection of high molecular weight hyaluronan after arthrocentesis as treatment for rheumatoid knees with joint effusion
Rheumatology Unit, Sapporo Gorinbashi Orthopedic Hospital in Gorinbashi Hospitals, 2-1, Kawazoe, Minami-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 005-0802, Japan
Rheumatol Int 22:151-4. 2002
..Predicting responders are duration of knee arthritis, CRP, and radiological scores...
- Ultrastructural findings after intraarticular application of hyaluronan in a canine model of arthropathy
Orthopaedic University Clinic Heidelberg, Germany
J Orthop Res 18:604-12. 2000
..Therefore, we conclude that the use of hyaluronan may be indicated during the early stages of chondromalacia...
- Surgical decompression versus local steroid injection in carpal tunnel syndrome: a one-year, prospective, randomized, open, controlled clinical trial
Primary Care Unit Gandhi, Madrid, Spain
Arthritis Rheum 52:612-9. 2005
..Optimal treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) has not been established. This study compared the effects of local steroid injection versus surgical decompression in new-onset CTS of at least 3 months' duration...
- Ultrasound-guided facet joint injections in the middle to lower cervical spine: a CT-controlled sonoanatomic study
Clinic of Neurosurgery, Innsbruck Medical University, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Clin J Pain 22:538-43. 2006
..DISCUSSION: This preclinical study suggests that ultrasound is a useful guiding tool for facet joint injections in the cervical spine...
- [18-month observational study on efficacy of intraarticular hyaluronic acid (Hylan G-F 20) injections under ultrasound guidance in hip osteoarthritis]
U O S di Reumatologia, S Pietro Fatebenefratelli Ospedale, 00189 Roma
Reumatismo 58:39-49. 2006
..To evaluate the efficacy and the tolerability of viscosupplementation (VS) with hyaluronic acid (Hylan GF 20) in a cohort of 36 patients affected by hip osteoarthritis through a 18 months follow-up...
- Septic arthritis following intra-articular steroid injection of the knee--a survey of current practice regarding antiseptic technique used during intra-articular steroid injection of the knee
C P Charalambous
Clin Rheumatol 22:386-90. 2003
..Further large prospective studies are needed to determine how frequently septic arthritis of the knee is encountered post steroid injection, and the exact precautions that should be taken to avoid it...
- Aspiration and injection therapies for joints
H Ralph Schumacher
University of Pennsylvania and VA Medical Center, Philadelphia, USA
Arthritis Rheum 49:413-20. 2003
- Hyaluronic acid injections for knee osteoarthritis. Systematic review of the literature
Department of Family Medicine, Queen's University, Kingston, Ont
Can Fam Physician 50:249-56. 2004
..Viscosupplementation appears to have a slower onset of action than intra-articular steroids, but the effect seems to last longer...
- Different effects of high molecular weight sodium hyaluronate and NSAID on the progression of the cartilage degeneration in rabbit OA model
Product Research Department, Chugai Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Shizuoka, Japan
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 15:543-9. 2007
..We examined the effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and intra-articular injections of sodium hyaluronate (HA) on cartilage degeneration in rabbit knee osteoarthritis (OA) model induced by partial meniscectomy...
- Viscosupplementation for knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review
Jon G Divine
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Sports Medicine Biodynamics Center and Human Performance Laboratory, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 455:113-22. 2007
- Role of hylan G-F 20 in treatment of osteoarthritis of the hip joint
Vijay B Vad
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Cornell University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1224-6. 2003
..8. The success rate was 50% in that subgroup. There were no complications related to the injection. CONCLUSION: Use of hylan G-F 20 injection is a viable option for treatment of mild to moderate OA of the hip joint...
- Intra-articular therapy in osteoarthritis
Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
Postgrad Med J 79:449-53. 2003
..The virtual absence of serious side effects, coupled with the perceived benefits, make these approaches attractive...
- An open-label study of a second course of hylan G-F 20 for the treatment of pain associated with knee osteoarthritis
David D Waddell
Orthopedic Specialists of Louisiana, Inc, Shreveport, LA 71103, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 19:499-507. 2003
..To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of a second course of hylan G-F 20 for the treatment of osteoarthritic knee pain in patients who experienced a clinical benefit with an initial course of therapy...
- Viscosupplementation therapy for osteoarthritis
Stephen F Brockmeier
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Georgetown University Hospital, 3800 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Sports Med Arthrosc 14:155-62. 2006
..This paper will review the development, experience, indications, and clinical outcomes of viscosupplementation therapy in patients with osteoarthritis...
- Sonographically guided glenohumeral joint injection
Richard B Zwar
Department of Radiology, Austin Health, 145-163 Studley Rd, Heidelberg, Victoria 3084, Australia
AJR Am J Roentgenol 183:48-50. 2004
- Hyaluronic acid attenuates osteoarthritis development in the anterior cruciate ligament-transected knee: Association with excitatory amino acid release in the joint dialysate
Graduate Institute of Medical Science, National Defense Medical Center, 325, Chenggung Road, Section 2, Neihu 114, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Orthop Res 24:1052-61. 2006
..This study suggests that the underlying mechanism of the anti-inflammatory effect of HA is to inhibit glutamate and aspartate release in ACLT knee joints, which attenuates the early development of OA...
- Enhanced gene transfer to arthritic joints using adeno-associated virus type 5: implications for intra-articular gene therapy
Division of Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1677-84. 2005
..CONCLUSION: Intra-articular rAAV mediated gene therapy in RA might be improved by using rAAV5 rather than other serotypes...
- Accuracy of subacromial injection: anterolateral versus posterior approach
Peter V Mathews
The Permanente Medical Group, Roseville, CA 95661, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:145-8. 2005
..The anterolateral approach may place injected material medial to the medial bursal boundary, and fluoroscopy may not accurately assess this placement...
- Intraarticular glucocorticoid treatment reduces inflammation in synovial cell infiltrations more efficiently than in synovial blood vessels
Erik af Klint
Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Arthritis Rheum 52:3880-9. 2005
..These findings may reflect mechanisms controlling the transiency of clinical improvement frequently observed after IA GC injection...
- [Intra-articular treatment with Hylan G-F 20 under ultrasound guidance in hip osteoarthritis. Clinical results after 12 months follow-up]
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Ospedale S Pietro Fatebenefratelli, Via Cassia, 600 00192 Rome
Reumatismo 57:36-43. 2005
..Viscosupplementation is a promising approach for hip OA, although further and wider studies are wanted to determine how long the beneficial effect lasts, and what is the optimal number of injections to administer...
- Successful nonoperative management of chronic osteoarthritis pain of the knee: safety and efficacy of retreatment with intra-articular hyaluronans
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 13:751-61. 2005
..CONCLUSIONS: Repeat courses of the hyaluronans are safe and effective in the treatment of pain associated with OA of the knee...
- Sodium hyaluronate in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the ankle: a controlled, randomized, double-blind pilot study
Robert S Salk
Northern California Foot and Ankle Center, 45 Castro Street, Suite 315, San Francisco, CA 94114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:295-302. 2006
- Intra-articular hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc) in the management of patellofemoral osteoarthritis of the knee (POAK)
Rheumatology Unit, University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol BS2 8HW, UK
Knee 12:57-62. 2005
..5) with 95% confidence and 90% power. This would require a RCT of 104 patients to detect a 15-mm change in VAS (effect size 0.5) with 95% confidence and 90% power...
- Accuracy of anterior intra-articular injection of the glenohumeral joint
Paul M Sethi
Orthopedic and Neurosurgical Specialists, Greenwich, Connecticut 06830, USA
Arthroscopy 21:77-80. 2005
..This study assessed the accuracy of an anterior intra-articular injection in awake subjects without radiologic assistance...
- Use of injections for osteoarthritis in joints and sports activity
Jason C Snibbe
Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, 6801 Park Terrace, Los Angeles, CA 90045, USA
Clin Sports Med 24:83-91. 2005
..Viscosupplementation has gained popularity in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Intraarticular injections of hyaluronic acid have shown to decrease pain and improve functional outcomes...
- A cost consequences analysis of local corticosteroid injection and physiotherapy for the treatment of new episodes of unilateral shoulder pain in primary care
Centre for Health Planning and Management, Keele University, Keele, Staffordshire ST5 5BG, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:1447-51. 2005
- Evaluation of therapeutic thoracic medial branch block effectiveness in chronic thoracic pain: a prospective outcome study with minimum 1-year follow up
Pain Management Center of Paducah, Kentucky 42003, USA
Pain Physician 9:97-105. 2006
..These interventions have not been evaluated in managing chronic thoracic pain of facet joint origin...
- Open pilot study of ultrasound-guided intra-articular injection of hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc) in the treatment of symptomatic hip osteoarthritis
Department of Internal Medicine, S Pietro Fatebenefratelli Hospital, via Cassia 600 Centro ricerche S Pietro AFaR, 00195, Rome, Italy
Clin Rheumatol 24:285-9. 2005
- Increased flexion and reduced hospital stay with continuous intraarticular morphine and ropivacaine after primary total knee replacement: open intervention study of efficacy and safety in 154 patients
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hamlet Private Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Orthop Scand 75:606-9. 2004
..We have therefore studied the effect of continuous injection of morphine and ropivacaine after TKR on range of movement and length of hospital stay...
- Accuracy of intra-articular injection of the glenohumeral joint: a cadaveric study
Paul M Sethi
Orthopedic and Neurosurgical Specialists, Greenwich, Conn 06830, USA
Orthopedics 29:149-52. 2006
..75 positive predictive value. The posterior approach had a 50% accuracy rate and a .67 positive predictive value. Anterior injections produce a higher rate of accuracy than posterior injections...
- The symptomatic effects of intra-articular administration of hylan G-F 20 on osteoarthritis of the hip: clinical data of 6 months follow-up
Research Center S Pietro Hospital, Fatebenefratelli AFaR, Via Cassia 600, 00189 Rome, Italy
Clin Rheumatol 25:389-93. 2006
..The present observation suggests the potentiality for the safety and efficacy of hylan G-F 20 injected under US guidance in patients with symptomatic hip OA. Further controlled studies are needed...
- The efficacy of subacromial corticosteroid injection in the treatment of rotator cuff disease: A systematic review
Michael C Koester
Orthopaedic Healthcare Northwest, Eugene, OR, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 15:3-11. 2007
..This systematic review of the available literature indicates that there is little reproducible evidence to support the efficacy of subacromial corticosteroid injection in managing rotator cuff disease...
- Thoracic zygapophyseal joint pain patterns. A study in normal volunteers
Neuro Skeletal Center, Tyler, Texas
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:807-11. 1994
..Nine asymptomatic volunteers underwent 40 provocative intra-articular injections of the thoracic zygapophyseal joints...
- Intra-articular injection of collagenase induces experimental osteoarthritis in mature rabbits
Shiseido Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories, Kanagawa, Japan
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 6:177-86. 1998
..The induction of osteoarthritis-like changes by intra-articular injections of collagenase in the knee joint of mature rabbits was examined...
- Potential mechanism of action of intra-articular hyaluronan therapy in osteoarthritis: are the effects molecular weight dependent?
Institute of Bone and Joint Research, Department of Surgery, University of Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Semin Arthritis Rheum 32:10-37. 2002
..All these physicochemical and biologic properties of HA have been shown to be molecular weight (MW) dependent...
- Prospective, multi-centre, randomised evaluation of the safety and efficacy of five dosing regimens of viscosupplementation with hylan G-F 20 in patients with symptomatic tibio-femoral osteoarthritis: a pilot study
Department of Rheumatology, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Pierre Benite, France
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 129:417-23. 2009
..The aim of this study was to assess different dosing regimens of hylan G-F 20, a high molecular-weight cross-linked derivative of HA, in the treatment of pain due to knee OA...
- Accuracy of needle placement into the intra-articular space of the knee
Douglas W Jackson
Southern California Center for Sports Medicine, Long Beach 90806, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1522-7. 2002
..This study highlights the need for clinicians to refine injection techniques for delivering intra-articular therapeutic substances that are intended to coat the articular surfaces of the knee joint...
- Hip osteoarthritis: short-term efficacy and safety of viscosupplementation by hylan G-F 20. An open-label study in 22 patients
Rheumatology Department, CHU l'Archet 1, Nice, France
Joint Bone Spine 69:388-91. 2002
..Short-term safety was satisfactory, with a self-limited exacerbation of pain during the first few days in three patients but no infections or other side effects...
- Temporal variations in a modified Neer impingement test can confound clinical interpretation
John G Skedros
University of Utah Department of Orthopaedics, Utah Bone and Joint Center, Salt Lake City, UT 84107, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 460:130-6. 2007
..Assessing pain at 10 minutes for a Neer-type impingement test can fail to accurately determine a positive test in a substantial percentage of patients...
- Tolerability and short-term effectiveness of hylan G-F 20 in 4253 patients with osteoarthritis of the knee in clinical practice
Klinik Lohrey, , , Germany
Curr Med Res Opin 21:1261-9. 2005
..Additionally, short-term effectiveness was confirmed...
- Protective effect of exogenous chondroitin 4,6-sulfate in the acute degradation of articular cartilage in the rabbit
Department of Clinical Neurosciences and Dermatology, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 6:6-13. 1998
- Patient's assessment of discomfort during MR arthrography of the shoulder
C A Binkert
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
Radiology 221:775-8. 2001
- Shoulder acute pain in primary healthcare: is retraining effective for GP principals? SAPPHIRE--a randomized controlled trial
Rheumatology and Rehabilitation Research Unit, University of Leeds, 36 Clarendon Road, Leeds LS2 9NZ, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:1795-802. 2008
..To address the question whether general practitioners (GPs) should receive practical training in shoulder problems and to test whether cortisone injections are better than anaesthetic injections for rotator cuff problems...
- Is there a place for intra-articular hyaluronate in osteoarthritis of the knee?
University Division of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol BS2 8HW, UK
Knee 8:93-101. 2001
..Current evidence suggests that viscosupplements probably provide a similar level of pain relief to glucocorticoids and do so for several months, but the onset is slower, and there is the potential for local adverse reactions...
- Joint and soft tissue injections in the community: questionnaire survey of general practitioners' experiences and attitudes
G J Gormley
Department of General Practice, Queens University Belfast, Dunluce Health Centre, 1 Dunluce Avenue, Belfast, Northern Ireland BT9 7HR
Ann Rheum Dis 62:61-4. 2003
..To investigate the numbers and types of joint and soft tissue injections performed by general practitioners (GPs) and to explore attitudes to training in joint and soft tissue injection and perceived barriers to performing injections...
- The analgesic efficacy and safety of intra-articular morphine and mepivicaine following temporomandibular joint arthroplasty
John R Zuniga
Department of Surgery, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:1477-85. 2007
..This study was designed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of intra-articular morphine, mepivacaine, or a combination of both in the management of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain in a 24-hour period after arthroplasty...
- MR arthrography of the glenohumeral joint: modified posterior approach without imaging guidance
Onofrio A Catalano
Department of Radiology, AO G Rummo, Via Provinciale 93, Beltiglio, BN, 82010, Italy
Radiology 242:550-4. 2007
..The mean extension of extravasation was 15 mm. Image quality was not compromised, and no gas bubbles were detected. The procedure was successful in all patients, with no complications...
- Intra-articular hyaluronan (hyaluronic acid) and hylans for the treatment of osteoarthritis: mechanisms of action
Larry W Moreland
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 5:54-67. 2003
..Many of the physiological effects of exogenous HA may be a function of its molecular weight. Several physiological effects probably contribute to the mechanisms by which HA and hylans exert their clinical effects in knee OA...
- A pragmatic randomised controlled trial of local corticosteroid injection and physiotherapy for the treatment of new episodes of unilateral shoulder pain in primary care
E M Hay
Staffordshire Rheumatology Centre, The Haywood, Burslem, Stoke on Trent, North Staffordshire ST6 7AG, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 62:394-9. 2003
..To compare the long term effectiveness of local steroid injections administered by general practitioners with practice based physiotherapy for treating patients presenting in primary care with new episodes of unilateral shoulder pain...
- Efficacy and safety of viscosupplementation by ultrasound-guided intra-articular injection in osteoarthritis of the hip
Department of Internal Medicine, S.Pietro-Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Rome, Italy
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 11:305-6. 2003
- Diagnostic and therapeutic injection of the shoulder region
Alfred F Tallia
Department of Family Medicine, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903, USA
Am Fam Physician 67:1271-8. 2003
..The proper technique, choice and quantity of pharmaceuticals, and appropriate follow-up are essential for effective outcomes...
- A safe, reliable method of carpal tunnel injection
N R Kay
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, England
J Hand Surg Am 17:1160-1. 1992
..We present a new method of carpal tunnel injection based on anatomic dissections. We have used this technique successfully for more than 10 years, and there have been no cases of median nerve injury...
- Intraarticular corticosteroids, supervised physiotherapy, or a combination of the two in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder: a placebo-controlled trial
Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arthritis Rheum 48:829-38. 2003
..To compare the efficacy of a single intraarticular corticosteroid injection, a supervised physiotherapy program, a combination of the two, and placebo in the treatment of adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder...
- Clinical features of patients with pain stemming from the lumbar zygapophysial joints. Is the lumbar facet syndrome a clinical entity?
A C Schwarzer
Faculty of Medicine, University of Newcastle, Australia
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:1132-7. 1994
..This study is a prospective cross-sectional analytic study...
- Hyaluronate effects on synovium and synovial fluid. A prospective blinded study in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee
H R Schumacher
VA Medical Center 151K, University and Woodland Avenues, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 14:501-3. 2006
- Comparison of intraarticular injection of depot corticosteroid and hyaluronic acid for treatment of degenerative trapeziometacarpal joints
Hand Surgery Unit, Rambam Medical Center and Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
J Clin Rheumatol 11:299-302. 2005
..CONCLUSIONS: Steroids and hyaluronate injections were found effective in reducing pain. Hyaluronate was more effective in the improvement of some aspects of fine hand function...
- Clinical experience with the effectiveness and tolerability of hylan G-F 20 in 1047 patients with osteoarthritis of the knee
David D Waddell
Orthopedic Specialists of Louisiana, Shreveport 71103, USA
J Knee Surg 19:19-27. 2006
..3% of injections. Our clinical experience shows that hylan G-F 20 effectively relieves osteoarthritis knee pain (as indicated) and reduces pain medication needed for up to 6 months with a low incidence of local adverse events...
- Preliminary results of integrated therapy for patients with knee osteoarthritis
Mao Hsiung Huang
Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Arthritis Rheum 53:812-20. 2005
..To investigate the effects of integrated therapy on the functional status of patients with knee osteoarthritis (OA)...
- The clinical effectiveness of hyaluronan products
Jeffrey L Kraines
Am J Orthop 37:128; author reply 128, 152. 2008
- Nonoperative treatment of unicompartmental arthritis of the knee
Bryan T Hanypsiak
Orthopaedic Associates of Long Island, 6 Technology Drive, Suite 100, East Setauket, New York 11733, USA
Orthop Clin North Am 36:401-11. 2005
..Given these constraints, this article outlines the current alternatives available in nonoperatively managing the symptomatic unicompartmental arthritic knee...
- Multicentre, prospective, open study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of hylan G-F 20 in knee osteoarthritis subjects presenting with pain following arthroscopic meniscectomy
J P Huskin
CHU Liège Sart Tilman, Sce Orthopédie, B 35, 4000, Liege 1, Belgium
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 16:747-52. 2008
..The risk/benefit of hylan G-F 20 in this particular population of patients is favourable...
- Intra-articular hyaluronic acid compared with corticoid injections for the treatment of rhizarthrosis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rheumatology, Philipps-University Marburg, Baldingerstrasse, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 14:82-8. 2006
..Although in comparison with triamcinolone its effects are achieved more slowly, the results indicate a superior long-lasting effect of hyaluronan at 6 months after end of treatment period...
- Effects of intra-articular hylan G-F 20 injections on clinical and biomechanical characteristics of the knee in osteoarthritis
Ankara University Medical School, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Rehabil Res 28:371-4. 2005
..In conclusion, intra-articular Hylan G-F 20 injections not only decrease pain in patients with knee osteoarthritis, but can alter the natural history of the disease by decreasing excessive loads in the knees...
- Clinical effects of intraarticular injection of high molecular weight hyaluronan (Orthovisc) in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, controlled, multicenter trial
Department of Medicine, Section on Rheumatic Diseases, University of Louisville School of Medicine, 234 East Gray Street, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Rheumatol 32:1928-36. 2005
..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of injection of high molecular weight (HMW) hyaluronan (Orthovisc) in patients with mild, moderate, and severe knee osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Overall tolerability and analgesic activity of intra-articular sodium hyaluronate in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis
Rheumatology Clinic and Institute for Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Tremli City Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Curr Med Res Opin 21:1727-33. 2005
..8% solution of highly purified sodium hyaluronate for intra-articular application. The aim of the present study was to investigate the safety and tolerability profile of this preparation in patients with symptomatic knee OA over 24 weeks...
- The use of hylan G-F 20 after knee arthroscopy in an active patient population with knee osteoarthritis
Patrick M Zietz
West Michigan Orthopaedics, Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Arthroscopy 24:416-22. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of hylan G-F 20 when used to treat an active and athletic patient population with knee osteoarthritis who had undergone knee arthroscopy for mechanical symptoms...
- Nociceptive nerve activity in an experimental model of knee joint osteoarthritis of the guinea pig: effect of intra-articular hyaluronan application
Instituto de Neurociencias de Alicante, Universidad Miguel Hernandez CSIC, 03550 Sant Joan d Alacant, Spain
Pain 130:126-36. 2007
..Intra-articular injection of an elastoviscous hyaluronan solution reduced the augmented nerve activity...
- Intraarticular injection of high molecular weight hyaluronan for osteoarthritis of the knee - prediction of effectiveness with biological markers
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Fujita Health University, Second Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Rheumatol 33:2527. 2006
..e., cases in which a high amount of residual cartilage and chondrocyte metabolic activity remain.The biological markers were useful in predicting the effectiveness of HA injection for OA of the knee...
- Efficacy and safety of hyaluronan treatment in combination therapy with home exercise for knee osteoarthritis pain
Todd P Stitik
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:135-41. 2007
..To assess the efficacy and safety of intra-articular injections of sodium hyaluronate combined with a home exercise program (HEP) in the management of pain associated with osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee...
- Reduced pain of intraarticular hyaluronate injection with the reciprocating procedure device
Sharon E Nunez
Department of Internal Medicine, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
J Clin Rheumatol 13:16-9. 2007
..The RPD increases physician control of the needle and is proposed to reduce patient pain during syringe procedures...
- Knee osteoarthritis: should your patient opt for hyaluronic acid injection?
Jennifer M Medina
The Pennsylvania State University, 46 Recreation Building, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Fam Pract 55:669-75. 2006
- Hylan G-F 20 efficacy on articular cartilage quality in patients with knee osteoarthritis: clinical and MRI assessment
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Faculty of Medicine, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 24:336-41. 2005
..In conclusion, intra-articular injections of HA is an effective choice of treatment in patients with knee osteoarthritis...
- [Correlation between radiologic and ultrasonographic patterns and clinical manifestations in symptomatic hip osteoarthritis]
U O S di Reumatologia, Ospedale S Pietro Fatebenefratelli, Roma, Italia
Reumatismo 59:57-65. 2007
..Further studies are needed to evaluate their prevalence in hip OA symptomatic and not-symptomatic patients and their correlation to treatment outcome...
- Hyaluronate improves pain, physical function and balance in the geriatric osteoarthritic knee: a 6-month follow-up study using clinical tests
Shu Fen Sun
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 14:696-701. 2006
..To investigate the effects of intraarticular hyaluronic acid (HA) (Artzal, Seikagaku Corp., Japan) in geriatric participants with unilateral knee osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Intra-articular sodium hyaluronate 2 mL versus physiological saline 20 mL versus physiological saline 2 mL for painful knee osteoarthritis: a randomized clinical trial
Department of Geriatrics and Rheumatology, Glostrup Hospital the county of Copenhagen, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Rheumatol 37:142-50. 2008
..We conducted a randomized, patient- and observer-blind trial to evaluate these interventions in patients with painful knee osteoarthritis...
- Efficacy and safety of intraarticular hylan or hyaluronic acids for osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled trial
University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Arthritis Rheum 56:3610-9. 2007
..To compare the efficacy and safety of intraarticular hylan and 2 hyaluronic acids (HAs) in osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee...
- Post-Hoc analysis of a head-to-head hyaluronic acid comparison in knee osteoarthritis using the 2004 OMERACT-OARSI responder criteria
Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc, Parsippany, NJ 07054, USA
Clin Drug Investig 28:37-45. 2008
..These criteria focus on change in pain and physical function. The aim of this study was to reanalyse the data from the original comparative study of hylan G-F 20 and Bio-HA in knee OA utilising the new OMERACT-OARSI response criteria...
- Predictors of clinical response to intraarticular Hylan injections -- a prospective study using synovial fluid measures, clinical outcomes, and magnetic resonance imaging
Institute of Bone and Joint Research, Royal North Shore Hospital, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
J Rheumatol 35:685-90. 2008
..To evaluate synovial fluid (SF) and clinical and imaging predictors of clinical response in patients receiving intraarticular Hylan GF-20 injections...
- Comparison between high and low molecular weight hyaluronates in knee osteoarthritis patients: open-label, randomized, multicentre clinical trial
P B Lee
Department of Anaesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Int Med Res 34:77-87. 2006
..There was no significant difference in side-effects between the groups. In conclusion, the efficacy and safety of high and low molecular weight hyaluronate are similar...
- BLISS index for analyzing knee osteoarthritis trials data
Centre of National Research on Disability and Rehabilitation Medicine CONROD, The University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia, 4006
J Clin Epidemiol 60:124-32. 2007
..A method, termed the BLISS (Bellamy et al. Low Intensity Symptom State-attainment) Index, for analyzing OA knee clinical trials data, was proposed...
- Correlating the efficacy of knee viscosupplementation with osteoarthritic changes on roentgenological examination
E M Toh
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Whiston Hospital, St Helens and Knowsley NHS Trust, Merseyside L35 5DR, UK
Knee 9:321-30. 2002
..As such, we conclude that only patients with a minimal to mild loss in joint space on roentgenological examination should form part of the target group who are likely to benefit from intra-articular knee viscoelastic supplementation...
- A double blind, randomized, multicenter, parallel group study of the effectiveness and tolerance of intraarticular hyaluronan in osteoarthritis of the knee
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of New South Wales, St Vincent s Hospital, Darllinghurst, Sydney, Australia
J Rheumatol 31:775-82. 2004
..To investigate the efficacy and tolerability of a course of 5 injections of hyaluronan (HA) given at intervals of one week in patients with symptomatic, mild to moderate osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee...
- Comparison of two hyaluronan drugs and placebo in patients with knee osteoarthritis. A controlled, randomized, double-blind, parallel-design multicentre study
Department of Orthopaedics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital/Ostra, , Sweden
Rheumatology (Oxford) 41:1240-8. 2002
..However, when data for the two hyaluronan treatments were pooled, there was a significantly longer duration of clinical benefit for hyaluronan treatment than for placebo...
- Morphological analysis of knee synovial membrane biopsies from a randomized controlled clinical study comparing the effects of sodium hyaluronate (Hyalgan) and methylprednisolone acetate (Depomedrol) in osteoarthritis
I Pasquali Ronchetti
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Rheumatology (Oxford) 40:158-69. 2001
..The effect was more evident in primary OA than in OA secondary to a traumatic event. This is the first evidence that local hyaluronan injections modify the structural organization of the human knee synovium in OA...
- Therapeutic effects of hyaluronic acid on osteoarthritis of the knee. A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Chen Ti Wang
Department of Orthopedics, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, No 7, Chung Shan South Road, Taipei, Taiwan
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:538-45. 2004
..The aim of this meta-analysis was to elucidate the therapeutic efficacy and safety of intra-articular injection of hyaluronic acid for osteoarthritis of the knee...