- Identification of vertebra-like elements and their possible differentiation from sclerotomes in the hagfish
Kinya G Ota
Laboratory for Evolutionary Morphology, RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology, Kobe, Japan
Nat Commun 2:373. 2011
..We conclude that the vertebra-like elements in the hagfish are homologous to gnathostome vertebrae, implying that this animal underwent secondary reduction of vertebrae in most of the trunk...
- An intronic LINE-1 element insertion in the dystrophin gene aborts dystrophin expression and results in Duchenne-like muscular dystrophy in the corgi breed
Bruce F Smith
Scott Ritchey Research Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849, USA
Lab Invest 91:216-31. 2011
..Affected puppies had a normal birth weight but they experienced a striking growth delay in the first 5 days. In summary, the new corgi DMD model offers an excellent opportunity to study DMD pathogenesis and to develop novel therapies...
- Transmission, diagnosis, and recommendations for control of Pseudoloma neurophilia infections in laboratory zebrafish (Danio rerio) facilities
Katrina N Murray
Zebrafish International Resource Center, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, USA
Comp Med 61:322-9. 2011
..We then review current knowledge about P. neurophilia transmission and diagnosis. Considering this information, we present recommendations for control of P. neurophilia in zebrafish facilities...
- Mosaicing of microscope images with global geometric and radiometric corrections
CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences, Locked Bag 17, North Ryde, NSW 1670, Australia
J Microsc 224:158-65. 2006
..The input images were transformed using the estimated geometric and radiometric parameters and mosaiced together, producing accurate registration of overlapping regions without visible seams...
- Diffusion and imaging properties of three new lipophilic tracers, NeuroVue Maroon, NeuroVue Red and NeuroVue Green and their use for double and triple labeling of neuronal profile
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Creighton University, Omaha, NE 68178, USA
Brain Res Bull 66:249-58. 2005
..Double labeling experiments using NeuroVue Red and eGFP allowed us to demonstrate that every fiber in the neonatal ear is surrounded by developing Schwann cells...
- Tissue microarray of head and neck squamous carcinoma: validation of the methodology for the study of cutaneous fatty acid-binding protein, vascular endothelial growth factor, involucrin and Ki-67
Department of Pathology, University of Liverpool, Duncan Building, Daulby Street, Liverpool, L69 3GA, UK
Virchows Arch 447:701-9. 2005
..Concordance with whole-tissue section data is reassuring, but data from microarrays need to be validated against clinical outcomes...
- Amplification of tissue by construction of tissue microarrays
D L Rimm
Department of Pathology and the Yale Comprehensive Cancer Center, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Exp Mol Pathol 70:255-64. 2001
..It has the potential for allowing validation of new genes at a speed comparable to the rapid rate of gene discovery afforded by DNA microarrays...
- Nodavirus infections in Israeli mariculture
Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research Ltd, National Center for Mariculture, Eilat, Israel
J Fish Dis 27:459-69. 2004
..Red Sea and Mediterranean isolated sequences grouped in distinct clusters, together with several foreign isolates from the Mediterranean area and the Far East, as phylogenetically close to the Epinephelus akaara RGNNV type...
- Sequential pathology after initial freshwater bath treatment for amoebic gill disease in cultured Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L
M B Adams
School of Aquaculture, Aquafin CRC, Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
J Fish Dis 27:163-73. 2004
..was noted. We conclude that pathogenesis during the inter-bath period was identical to initial infection although the source of re-infection remains to be established...
- Identification of a serine protease gene expressed by Myxobolus cerebralis during development in rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss
Garry O Kelley
Department of Medicine and Epidemiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 59:235-48. 2004
..Identifying genes encoding these enzymes and characterization of their functions can lead to the development of new chemotherapeutic protocols and vaccine approaches to control parasitic diseases...
- Effects of the gill monogenean Zeuxapta seriolae (Meserve, 1938) and treatment with hydrogen peroxide on pathophysiology of kingfish, Seriola lalandi Valenciennes, 1833
Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute, School of Aquaculture, University of Tasmania, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
J Fish Dis 28:253-62. 2005
..g. lactate, osmolality) and extent of the effects (e.g. haemoglobin) was much less than that caused by chronic infection with Z. seriolae...
- Lernanthropus kroyeri infections in farmed sea bass Dicentrarchus labrax: pathological features
Department of Food Science, University of Teramo, Piazza Aldo Moro, 45, 64100 Teramo, Italy
Dis Aquat Organ 57:177-80. 2003
..Parasitism by L. kroyeri affected the host's condition factor (mean +/- SE in uninfected vs parasitized; 1.88 +/- 0.04 vs 1.66 +/- 0.12; p < 0.05)...
- heart of glass regulates the concentric growth of the heart in zebrafish
John D Mably
Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital and Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, 149 13th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
Curr Biol 13:2138-47. 2003
..In heart of glass mutant embryos, the number of cells in the myocardium is normal, but they are not added in the concentric direction. As a consequence, the chambers are huge and dysfunctional, and the myocardium remains a single layer...
- Zebrafish periostin is required for the adhesion of muscle fiber bundles to the myoseptum and for the differentiation of muscle fibers
Department of Biological Information, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
Dev Biol 267:473-87. 2004
- Groucho homologue Grg5 interacts with the transcription factor Runx2-Cbfa1 and modulates its activity during postnatal growth in mice
Department of Oral and Developmental Biology, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Dev Biol 270:364-81. 2004
..We therefore conclude that Grg5 enhances Runx2 activity in vivo...
- Development of a cost-effective oral vaccination method against viral disease in fish
A R Companjen
Wageningen University and Research Centre Department of Animal Sciences, Cell Biology and Immunology Group, The Netherlands
Dev Biol (Basel) 121:143-50. 2005
..The results further indicated that a specific humoral immune response was evoked...
- Important disease conditions of newly cultured species in intensive freshwater farms in Greece: first incidence of nodavirus infection in Acipenser sp
Laboratory of Ichthyology, Fish Diseases and Aquaculture, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, School of Health Sciences, University of Thessaly, Karditsa, Greece
Dis Aquat Organ 60:247-52. 2004
..and Myxobacteria spp. Tilapia were very susceptible to gas bubble disease and A. hydrophila. This bacterium was associated with management manipulations for all species and fully responsive to corrective hygiene methods...
- Intracellular infection with Spironucleus barkhanus (Diplomonadida: Hexamitidae) in farmed Arctic char Salvelinus alpinus
National Veterinary Institute, PO Box 8156 Dep, 0033 Oslo, Norway
Dis Aquat Organ 56:155-61. 2003
..The relatively few gross and histopathological lesions may indicate that Arctic char are more tolerant to this parasite than Atlantic salmon...
- Neuromedin U has a novel anorexigenic effect independent of the leptin signaling pathway
Molecular Genetics, Institute of Life Science, Kurume University, Kurume, Fukuoka 839 0861, Japan
Nat Med 10:1067-73. 2004
..These characteristic functions of NMU may provide new insight for understanding the pathophysiological basis of obesity...
- Immunohistochemistry, histopathology and ultrastructure of Gasterosteus aculeatus tissues infected with Glugea anomala
B S Dezfuli
Department of Biology, University of Ferrara, Via Borsari, 46, 44100 Ferrara, Italy
Dis Aquat Organ 58:193-202. 2004
..Specifically, the protozoan induces a response in the stickleback nervous system, the reaction of which is revealed through the application of immunohistochemical techniques...
- Acute and persistent experimental nodavirus infection in spotted wolffish Anarhichas minor
National Veterinary Institute, PO Box 8156, 0033 Oslo, Norway
Dis Aquat Organ 57:35-41. 2003
..Nodavirus was reisolated from fish at the last sampling in SSN-1 cells, showing that nodavirus retains virulence in persistently infected wolffish for at least 16 wk post-bath-challenge...
- A microsporidian parasite of the genus Spraguea in the nervous tissues of the Japanese anglerfish Lophius litulon
Mark A Freeman
Department of Aquatic Bioscience, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Yayoi 1 1 1, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 51:167-76. 2004
..This report of Spraguea americana is the first report of a Spraguea species from L. litulon and indeed from the Pacific water mass...
- The anterior-posterior axis emerges respecting the morphology of the mouse embryo that changes and aligns with the uterus before gastrulation
Wellcome Trust Cancer Research Gurdon Institute, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QR, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 14:184-96. 2004
..When the anterior-posterior axis of the mouse embryo becomes explicit at gastrulation, it is almost perpendicular to the long uterine axis. This led to the belief that the uterus could play a key role in positioning this future body axis...
- Changes in the innate immune response of Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., exposed to experimental infection with Neoparamoeba sp
K A Gross
Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute and Aquafin CRC, School of Aquaculture, University of Tasmania, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
J Fish Dis 28:293-9. 2005
..There was an increase in the chemotactic response of anterior kidney macrophages isolated from exposed fish relative to control fish at 8 dpe. Total protein and lysozyme levels were not affected by Neoparamoeba sp. exposure...
- A parasite survey of farmed Southern bluefin tuna, Thunnus maccoyii (Castelnau)
M R Deveney
PIRSA Aquaculture, Primary Industries and Resources South Australia and Aquafin CRC, Adelaide, SA 5001, Australia
J Fish Dis 28:279-84. 2005
..Targeted screening for U. nigricans exposed a low prevalence, most probably due to a lack of sensitivity in the test method. Few of the parasites examined pose a risk to the health of farmed SBT...
- Gross pathology and its relationship with histopathology of amoebic gill disease (AGD) in farmed Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L
M B Adams
School of Aquaculture, Aquafin CRC, Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
J Fish Dis 27:151-61. 2004
..It was concluded that clinical diagnosis is acceptable as a farm-monitoring tool only. Removal of grossly affected tissue and subsequent histological examination is recommended to improve diagnostic accuracy...
- Control of Salmincola californiensis (Copepoda: Lernaeapodidae) in rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum): a clinical and histopathological study
R J Roberts
University of Idaho, Center for Sustainable Aquaculture, Hagerman Fish Culture Experiment Station, Hagerman, ID 83332, USA
J Fish Dis 27:73-9. 2004
..The use of oral dosage with ivermectin is an effective treatment for S. californiensis and could be particularly beneficial for use with endangered salmon broodstocks infested with the parasite...
- Cryptosporidium scophthalmi n. sp. (Apicomplexa: Cryptosporidiidae) from cultured turbot Scophthalmus maximus. Light and electron microscope description and histopathological study
Instituto de Acuicultura Torre de la Sal, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Ribera de Cabanes, 12595 Castellon, Spain
Dis Aquat Organ 62:133-45. 2004
..An inflammatory reaction involving leucocyte infiltration was sometimes observed...
- Introduction and comparison of two methods of assessment of coronary lesions in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L
S L Seierstad
Department of Basic Sciences and Aquatic Medicine, Norwegian School of Veterinary Science, Oslo, Norway
J Fish Dis 28:189-97. 2005
..5%. The semi-quantitative method was a valid and reliable method for coronary lesion evaluation in Atlantic salmon...
- Pseudocohnilembus persalinus (Ciliophora: Scuticociitida) is an additional species causing scuticociliatosis in olive flounder Paralichthys olivaceus
Sung Mi Kim
Department of Aquatic Life Medicine, Pukyong National University, Pusan 608 737, Korea
Dis Aquat Organ 62:239-44. 2004
..These data suggest that the multiplex PCR procedure would make it possible to avoid the cumbersome and time-consuming procedures of morphological analysis for the definitive identification of ciliates...
- Occurrence of scuticociliatosis in olive flounder Paralichthys olivaceus by Phiasterides dicentrarchi (Ciliophora: scuticociliatida)
Sung Mi Kim
Department of Aquatic Life Medicine, Pukyong National University, Pusan 608 737, Korea
Dis Aquat Organ 62:233-8. 2004
..dicentrarchi, and sequenced the SS rRNA gene in order to design P. dicentrarchi specific primers. This is the first report on scuticociliatosis caused by P. dicentrarchi from marine fish in Asia...
- Evolution of OTP-independent larval skeleton patterning in the direct-developing sea urchin, Heliocidaris erythrogramma
Department of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana 47405, USA
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 300:58-71. 2003
..erythrogramma. OTP plays an important role in patterning the larval skeleton of H. tuberculata, but this role apparently has been lost in the evolution of the H. erythrogramma larva, and replaced by a new patterning mechanism...
- The role of Axin2 in calvarial morphogenesis and craniosynostosis
Hsiao Man Ivy Yu
Center for Oral Biology, Department of Biomedical Genetics, Abs Institute of Biomedical Sciences, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Rochester, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Development 132:1995-2005. 2005
..The craniofacial anomalies caused by the Axin2 mutation are mediated through activation of beta-catenin signaling, suggesting a novel role for the Wnt pathway in skull morphogenesis...
- Loss of AP-2alpha impacts multiple aspects of ventral body wall development and closure
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Dev Biol 267:399-417. 2004
..These findings provide a fundamental understanding of how AP-2alpha functions in the closure of the ventral body wall, as well as offer insight into related human birth defects...
- Regulation of neuroD2 expression in mouse brain
Chin Hsing Lin
Clinical Research Division, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Dev Biol 265:234-45. 2004
- Loss of connexin 26 in mammary epithelium during early but not during late pregnancy results in unscheduled apoptosis and impaired development
Laboratory of Genetics and Physiology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Dev Biol 267:418-29. 2004
..Cx26 is considered a tumor suppressor gene and Cx26-null mammary tissue was evaluated after five pregnancies. No hyperproliferation or hyperplasia was observed, suggesting that Cx26 does not function as a tumor suppressor...
- Characteristic defects in neural crest cell-specific Galphaq/Galpha11- and Galpha12/Galpha13-deficient mice
Dagmara A Dettlaff-Swiercz
Institute of Pharmacology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 366, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Dev Biol 282:174-82. 2005
..In contrast, ET-3/ET(B)-mediated development of neural crest-derived melanocytes and enteric neurons appears to involve G-proteins different from G(q)/G(11)/G(12)/G(13)...
- Gonadal structure of the serial-sex changing gobiid fish Trimma okinawae
Sesoko Station, Tropical Biosphere Research Center, University of the Ryukyus, 3422 Sesoko, Motobu cho, Okinawa 905 0227, Japan
Dev Growth Differ 47:7-13. 2005
..In the testis, moderate immunopositive signals were obtained from dual-phase male/females...
- Development of the mammalian urethra is controlled by Fgfr2-IIIb
Cancer Research UK, Lincoln s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3PX, UK
Development 132:2441-50. 2005
..This represents the first example of how the developing genitourinary system integrates cues from systemically circulating steroid hormones with a locally expressed growth factor pathway...
- Haploinsufficient lethality and formation of arteriovenous malformations in Notch pathway mutants
Luke T Krebs
The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine 04609, USA
Genes Dev 18:2469-73. 2004
..These results demonstrate that vascular remodeling in the mouse embryo is sensitive to Dll4 gene dosage and that Notch activation in endothelial cells is essential for embryonic vascular remodeling...
- Neurogenin 3-expressing progenitor cells in the gastrointestinal tract differentiate into both endocrine and non-endocrine cell types
Susan E Schonhoff
Division of Gastroenterology, GRASP Digestive Disease Center, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Dev Biol 270:443-54. 2004
..Thus, ngn3 expression occurs in mixed populations of immature cells that are not irreversibly committed to endocrine differentiation...
- The retinoblastoma gene pathway regulates the postmitotic state of hair cells of the mouse inner ear
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Development 132:2377-88. 2005
..Our findings demonstrate that the pRb pathway is required for hair cell quiescence and that manipulation of the cell cycle machinery disrupts the coordinated development within the inner ear sensory epithelia...
- Essential requirement for both hsf1 and hsf2 transcriptional activity in spermatogenesis and male fertility
Institute of Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia
Genesis 38:66-80. 2004
..The findings suggest that additive or synergistic transcriptional activity of both hsf1 and hsf2 is required for normal mammalian spermatogenesis and male fertility...
- Smad2 and Smad3 coordinately regulate craniofacial and endodermal development
Program in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210 1392, USA
Dev Biol 270:411-26. 2004
..This precedes any defects in anterior patterning and likely causes the abnormalities observed in craniofacial and midline development, as well as hepatogenesis...
- The mammalian twisted gastrulation gene functions in foregut and craniofacial development
Department of Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710 3709, USA
Dev Biol 267:374-86. 2004
..In addition, we find defects in the foregut endoderm and a reduction in Hex expression, which may contribute to both the forebrain and BA1 defects...
- Tbx3, the ulnar-mammary syndrome gene, and Tbx2 interact in mammary gland development through a p19Arf/p53-independent pathway
Loydie A Jerome-Majewska
Department of Genetics and Development, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Dev Dyn 234:922-33. 2005
- Characterization and molecular methods for detection of a novel spiroplasma pathogenic to Penaeus vannamei
Linda M Nunan
Department of Veterinary Sciences and Microbiology, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 85721, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 62:255-64. 2004
..a digoxigenin-labeled probe was developed and tested. This probe was species-specific, with no positive reactions or cross-reactivity occurring with other bacterial samples tested in this format...
- Efficacy and toxicity of orally administrated anti-coccidial drugs for innovative treatments of Myxobolus sp. infection in Puntazzo puntazzo
Laboratory of Ichthyology and Fish Pathology, University of Thessaly, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, School of Health Sciences, 221 Trikalon Street, 431 00 Karditsa, Greece
Dis Aquat Organ 62:217-26. 2004
..The SA combination proved the most effective treatment for Myxobolus sp. infection of P. puntazzo as (1) the therapeutic regimen and commercial product was not toxic and (2) a significant reduction occurred in the prevalence rate...
- Experimental infection of turbot, Scophthalmus maximus (L.), by Moritella viscosa, vaccination effort and vaccine-induced side-effects
Institute for Experimental Pathology, University of Iceland, Keldur, Reykjavik, Iceland
J Fish Dis 27:645-55. 2004
..The measurement of various innate humoral immune parameters did not reveal significant differences between vaccinated and control groups...
- Heart and skeletal muscle inflammation in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L: a new infectious disease
R T Kongtorp
National Veterinary Institute, Oslo, Norway
J Fish Dis 27:351-8. 2004
..Further investigations are required in order to make conclusions regarding the cause and pathogenesis of HSMI...
- Pathology of heart and skeletal muscle inflammation (HSMI) in farmed Atlantic salmon Salmo salar
R T Kongtorp
National Veterinary Institute, Oslo, Norway
Dis Aquat Organ 59:217-24. 2004
..Microscopic lesions are compared and discussed in relation to published descriptions of pancreas disease (PD) and cardiomyopathy syndrome (CMS). It is concluded that HSMI is histopathologically distinguishable from PD and CMS...
- Isolation of a rhabdovirus during outbreaks of disease in cyprinid fish species at fishery sites in England
Centre for the Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science Cefas, Barrack Road, Weymouth, Dorset DT4 8UB, UK
Dis Aquat Organ 57:43-50. 2003
..The field observations together with the experimental results indicate that this rhabdovirus is of low virulence but may have the potential to cause significant mortality in fishes under stress...
- Assessment of DNA vaccine potential for gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata) by intramuscular injection of a reporter gene
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences and Technologies, University of Lecce, Via provinciale Lecce Monteroni, I 73100, Lecce, Italy
Fish Shellfish Immunol 15:283-95. 2003
..i. The results suggest that intramuscular delivery of foreign genes represents a realistic approach for DNA vaccine technology for the prevention of infectious diseases in gilthead sea bream...
- Studies on transmission and life cycle of Enteromyxum scophthalmi (Myxozoa), an enteric parasite of turbot Scophthalmus maximus
Maria J Redondo
Instituto de Acuicultura de Torre de la Sal CSIC, Ribera de Cabanes, 12595 Castellon, Spain
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 51:188-98. 2004
..This may also question the existence of a two-host life cycle involving an actinosporean stage in this species. Further studies are needed to clarify this open point of the life cycle...
- Polymicrobic infection of hybrid striped bass (Morone chrysops x Morone saxatilis) with three bacterial pathogens: a case report
P R Bowser
Aquatic Animal Health Program, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA
J Fish Dis 27:123-7. 2004
- Defeating diplostomoid dangers in USA catfish aquaculture
Robin M Overstreet
Department of Coastal Sciences, The University of Southern Mississippi, P O Box 7000, Ocean Springs, Mississippi 9566 7000, USA
Folia Parasitol (Praha) 51:153-65. 2004
..Consequently, management of catfish ponds relative to digenean infections requires considerable biological information on the fish, bird, and snail hosts as well as the parasites...
- In vitro efficacy of new antiprotozoals against Philasterides dicentrarchi (Ciliophora, Scuticociliatida)
Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Instituto de Investigacion y Analisis Alimentarios, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Dis Aquat Organ 62:97-102. 2004
..The most promising compound was the pyridothienotriazine 12k, with activity similar to that of the salicylanilides niclosamide and oxiclozanide (MLC 0.8 mg l(-1) in PBS, 1.5 mg l(-1) in seawater; MLC = minimum 24 h lethal concentration)...
- Pseudomonas anguilliseptica infection in farmed cod, Gadus morhua L
H W Ferguson
Veterinary Diagnostic Service, Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, Stirling, UK
J Fish Dis 27:249-53. 2004
- The pathology of chronic erosive dermatopathy in Murray cod, Maccullochella peelii peelii (Mitchell)
J E Baily
Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, Stirling, UK
J Fish Dis 28:3-12. 2005
..Canal regeneration occurred when fish were transferred from borehole water into river water. The lack of lesions in other organs and the pattern of lesion development support exposure to waterborne factors as the most likely aetiology...
- Susceptibility of captive adult winter-run Chinook salmon Oncorhynchus tshawytscha to waterborne exposures with infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus (IHNV)
K D Arkush
Bodega Marine Laboratory, University of California at Davis, PO Box 247, Bodega Bay, California 94923, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 59:211-6. 2004
- Leukocyte and endothelial cell adhesion molecules in a chronic murine model of myocardial reperfusion injury
S P Jones
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 279:H2196-201. 2000
..PMN accumulation in the ischemic-reperfused (I/R) zone was assessed using histological techniques. Deficiencies of P-selectin, E-selectin, ICAM-1, or CD18 resulted in significant (P < 0...
- [Fluorescence serologic and histologic studies of antigen distribution in parvovirus infections in dogs and cats]
Institut für Pathologie und Gerichtliche Veterinärmedizin der Veterinärmedizinischen Universität Wien
Zentralbl Veterinarmed B 38:481-91. 1991
- Tissue diagnosis of Ehrlichia chaffeensis in patients with fatal ehrlichiosis by use of immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, and polymerase chain reaction
J E Dawson
Infectious Disease Pathology Activity, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:603-9. 2001
..Significantly, in 2 of these patients, serologic evidence of infection was absent. Use of IHC, ISH, and PCR to visualize and detect Ehrlichia in tissues can facilitate diagnosis of ehrlichial infections...
- Monkey pulpal response to an MMA-based resin cement as adhesive luting for indirect restorations
Cariology and Operative Dentistry, Department of Restorative Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
J Adhes Dent 7:247-51. 2005
..The objective of this study was to evaluate the pulpal response to a newly-developed MMA resin cement (MultiBond, Tokuyama) when used for adhesively luting composite resin inlays...
- A biological global positioning system: considerations for tracking stem cell behaviors in the whole body
Shengwen Calvin Li
Center for Neuroscience and Stem Cell Research, Children s Hospital of Orange County Research Institute, University of California Irvine, 455 South Main Street, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Stem Cell Rev 6:317-33. 2010
..Even though excellent histological techniques remain as the gold standard, no good in vivo techniques are currently available to assess the ..
- Neural control of shark rectal gland
J S Stoff
Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, Salsbury Cove, Maine 04672
Am J Physiol 255:R212-6. 1988
..Vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP)-like immunoreactivity was detected by histological techniques in neuronal tissue within the rectal gland...
- Ultrastructural aspects of the microvasculature of the cochlea: the internal spiral network
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Hospital Egas Moniz, Lisbon, Portugal
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 120:725-9. 1999
..The comparison of results obtained with each technique gave the perspective of the cochlear microvasculature with great accuracy...
- The embryonic development of Schistosoma mansoni eggs: proposal for a new staging system
Arnon D Jurberg
Laboratorio de Patologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Pavilhão Gomes de Faria Av Brasil, 4365 Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro 21040 900, RJ, Brazil
Dev Genes Evol 219:219-34. 2009
..Using classical histological techniques and whole-mount preparations, the present work describes the embryonic development of Schistosoma mansoni ..
- Identification of immunodominant autoantigens in rat autoimmune orchitis
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Justus Liebig University of Giessen, D 35385 Giessen, Germany
J Pathol 207:127-38. 2005
..Development of disease was observed using histological techniques and a new non-invasive three-dimensional (3D) imaging technology for in vivo monitoring, termed flat-..
- Warthin tumor: a curious entity--case reports and review of literature
Department of Pathology, Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Timisoara, Romania
Rom J Morphol Embryol 50:269-73. 2009
..the histopathological aspect of Warthin tumors using Hematoxylin-Eosin stain, and immunohistochemical and histological techniques. We reviewed the medical record of patients with salivary gland tumors diagnosed at County Hospital of ..
- Histological approaches for high-quality imaging of zooplanktonic organisms
Rossana C N Melo
Laboratory of Cellular Biology, Department of Biology, Federal University of Juiz de Fora, UFJF, Juiz de Fora, MG, Brazil
Micron 38:714-21. 2007
..can play a structural function as indicators for ecosystem health or stress, but their study using histological techniques is still limited...
- Interstitial laser hyperthermia for colorectal liver metastases: the effect of thermal sensitization and the use of a cylindrical diffuser tip on tumor necrosis
Department of Surgery, Monash University, Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Australia
J Clin Laser Med Surg 20:189-96. 2002
..The potential synergistic effect between thermal sensitization by metronidazole and interstitial laser hyperthermia (ILH)-induced tumor necrosis is also evaluated...
- Delayed sclerosis, neuroprotection, and limbic epileptogenesis after status epilepticus in the rat
Department of Pharmacology, Toxicology and Pharmacy, School of Veterinary Medicine, Bunteweg 17, D 30559 Hannover, Germany
Epilepsia 43:86-95. 2002
..e., the development of recurrent spontaneous seizures) during the following weeks...
- Mild carbon monoxide exposure diminishes selectively the integrity of the cochlea of the developing rat
Surgery Department, Division of Head and Neck, David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
J Neurosci Res 74:666-75. 2003
..and the neurons of the spiral ganglion were analyzed for their morphology by using immunochemical and histological techniques. The inner and outer hair cells in the organ of Corti of animals exposed to 12 and 25 ppm CO were not ..
- Three-dimensional MR microscopy of a transgenic mouse model of dilated cardiomyopathy
R W Sze
Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Pediatr Radiol 31:55-61. 2001
..b>Histological techniques, although providing great anatomic detail, display only "static" data (one time point only) in two ..
- A comparative study on cardiac ganglia in midday gerbil, Egyptian spiny mouse, chinchilla laniger and pigeon
Department of Comparative Anatomy, Institute of Biology, Swietokrzyski University, 25 406 Kielce, 15 Swietokrzyska St, Poland
Anat Histol Embryol 32:134-40. 2003
Using the thiocholine method and histological techniques, the topography and morphology of cardiac ganglia in midday gerbil, Egyptian spiny mouse, chinchilla laniger and pigeon were studied...
- The AChE-positive ganglia in the trachea and bronchi of the cat
Department of Comparative Anatomy, Institute of Biology, Swietokrzyski University, Kielce, Poland
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 62:99-106. 2003
..ganglia in the cat were studied using the histochemical-tiocholine method of Koelle and Friedenwald and histological techniques. Intensively stained AChE-positive nerve structures, i.e...
- Impact of heterophil granulocyte depletion caused by 5-fluorouracil on infectious bursal disease virus infection in specific pathogen free chickens
Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research, Hangøvej 2, DK 8200 Aarhus N, Denmark
Avian Pathol 35:341-8. 2006
..of Fabricius were sampled at fixed intervals, and the progress of the infection was monitored by various histological techniques and reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR)...
- Structural degeneration of pulmonary homografts used as aortic valve substitute underlines early graft failure
Dave R Koolbergen
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:802-7. 2002
..The mid-term results are evaluated in this study and histological analysis of explanted homografts is performed to investigate the cause of graft failure...
- Geographical location and age affects the incidence of parasitic infestations in school children
School of Biomolecular and Biomedical Sciences, Griffith University, Kessels Road, Nathan, Brisbane, Queensland 4111, Australia
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 53:498-502. 2010
..socio-economic zones (rural and urban) were screened for specific intestinal parasites using standard histological techniques. Percentage incidences of parasitic species found in fecal wet mounts and concentrates in rural children ..
- Evolution of mammalian X-chromosome inactivation: sex chromatin in monotremes and marsupials
L M McKay
Department of Genetics and Human Variation, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Vic
Aust J Biol Sci 40:397-404. 1987
..possum, Trichosurus vulpecula) and monotremes (platypus, Ornithorynchus anatinus), using classical histological techniques. A female-specific chromatin body was observed at low frequency in nuclei of possum corneal epithelium, ..
- Widespread occurrence of the amphibian chytrid fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in the southeastern USA
Betsie B Rothermel
Austin Peay State University, The Center of Excellence for Field Biology, PO Box 4718, Clarksville, Tennessee 37044, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 82:3-18. 2008
..Using histological techniques or PCR assays, we detected chytrid infection in 10 species of aquatic-breeding amphibians in 6 states...
- A peptide inhibitor of the urokinase/urokinase receptor system inhibits alteration of the blood-retinal barrier in diabetes
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
FASEB J 22:3310-7. 2008
..Biochemical, molecular, and histological techniques were used to examine the role of uPA and uPAR in the regulation of retinal vascular permeability in ..
- Computer-assisted complete three-dimensional reconstruction of the mammary ductal/lobular systems: implications of ductal anastomoses for breast-conserving surgery
The Second Department of Surgery, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Fukushima, Japan
Cancer 91:2263-72. 2001
- Novel borate glass/chitosan composite as a delivery vehicle for teicoplanin in the treatment of chronic osteomyelitis
Wei Tao Jia
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Shanghai Sixth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200233, China
Acta Biomater 6:812-9. 2010
..pellets for treating osteomyelitis was evaluated using hematological, radiological, microbiological and histological techniques. When immersed in PBS, the TBGC pellets provided a sustained release of teicoplanin, while the surface of ..
- Histological studies of pedicle skin formation and its transformation to antler velvet in red deer (Cervus elaphus)
AgResearch, Invermay Agricultural Centre, Private Bag 50034, Mosgiel, New Zealand
Anat Rec 260:62-71. 2000
..In the present study, we used histological techniques to examine pedicle skin formation and its transformation to antler velvet...
- The effects of soy extract on the uterus of castrated adult rats
Department of Gynecology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Rua Sena Madureira 1245, 04021051 São Paulo, Brazil
Maturitas 56:173-83. 2007
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of different doses of a standardized soy extract on the uterus of castrated rats...
- Interactions between anomalous excretory and tegumental epithelia in aberrant Mesocestoides tetrathyridia from Apodemus sylvaticus in Spain
David Bruce Conn
Department of Invertebrate Zoology, Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University, 26 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Parasitol Res 106:1109-15. 2010
..of Apodemus sylvaticus (Rodentia: Muridae) in Murcia, Spain, and processed by routine microscopical and histological techniques, including examination with brightfield, phase-contrast, and differential-interference-contrast optics...
- Imaging vitreous
Associate Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology Doheny Eye Institute Keck School of Medicine University of Southern California CA 92648, USA
Eye (Lond) 16:429-39. 2002
..The combined use of more than one technique could provide better imaging of vitreous for future investigational and clinical purposes...
- The application of amino acid racemization in the acid soluble fraction of enamel to the estimation of the age of human teeth
R C Griffin
BioArch, Department of Archaeology, University of York, Heslington YO10 5DD, UK
Forensic Sci Int 175:11-6. 2008
..The majority of existing morphological and histological techniques are highly inaccurate, and show a bias towards underestimating the age of older individuals...
- Principles of rat subcortical forebrain organization: a study using histological techniques and multiple fluorescence labeling
Department of Neuroanatomy, Paul Flechsig Institute for Brain Research, University of Leipzig, Jahnallee 59, D 04109, Leipzig, Germany
J Chem Neuroanat 23:75-104. 2002
- Parathyroid hormone receptor type 1/Indian hedgehog expression is preserved in the growth plate of human fetuses affected with fibroblast growth factor receptor type 3 activating mutations
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U426, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Robert Debre, Paris, France
Am J Pathol 161:1325-35. 2002
..21 and 8 thanatophoric dysplasia types 1 and 2, respectively) and 14 age-matched controls by histological techniques and in situ hybridization using riboprobes for human IHH, PTHR1, type 10 and type 1 collagen transcripts...
- Histochemical visualization and diffusion MRI at 7 Tesla in the TgCRND8 transgenic model of Alzheimer's disease
Jonathan D Thiessen
Division of Neurodegenerative Disorders, St Boniface Research Centre, Winnipeg, MB, R2H 2A6, Canada
Brain Struct Funct 215:29-36. 2010
..In our study, we used DWI in the TgCRND8 transgenic model of Alzheimer's disease in conjunction with histological techniques and found robust plaque deposition in the transgenic strain in older animals (12-16 months old)...
- Cognitive enhancement and neuroprotective effects of Bacopa monnieri in Alzheimer's disease model
Department of Physiology Neuroscience Program and Graduate School, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Thailand
J Ethnopharmacol 127:26-31. 2010
..Therefore, the potential of this plant to protect against Alzheimer's disease has been raised but less supported document is available...
- Immunohistochemical expression of fibronectin and tenascin after direct pulp capping with calcium hydroxide
Department of Operative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Pelotas, Pelotas, Brazil
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:e66-71. 2006
..In the exposure site, TNC immunostaining increased over time, exhibiting a thicker immunostaining pattern within 30 days. The imunohistochemical technique showed expression of both glycoproteins during pulp healing process...
- [Spermatogenesis--physiology and pathophysiology]
Institut für Veterinär Anatomie, Histologie und Embryologie, Universitat, Giessen
Urologe A 44:1131-2, 1134-8. 2005
..Histological evaluation should be performed using a score count system, and the use of histological techniques for protein and mRNA expression...
- Karwinskia humboldtiana (buckthorn) fruit causes central nervous system damage during chronic intoxication in the rat
Eduardo M Becerra-Verdin
Departamento de Histologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Ave Madero y Eduardo Aguirre Pequeño, A P 1563 Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Toxicon 53:645-51. 2009
..We considered it important to evaluate, with histological techniques, the possible presence of lesions in the brain, by using a model of chronic intoxication that reproduces ..
- Laryngeal epithelial thickness: a comparison between optical coherence tomography and histology
M L Kaiser
Department of Surgery, University of California Irvine, Orange, CA 92612, USA
Clin Otolaryngol 34:460-6. 2009
..The purpose of our study is to measure normal laryngeal epithelial thickness by in vivo optical coherence tomography, and compare these values to those obtained from fixed ex-vivo laryngectomy specimens...
- Stimulation of implant fixation by parathyroid hormone (1-34)-A histomorphometric comparison of PMMA cement and stainless steel
Orthopaedic Department, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Orthop Res 23:1266-70. 2005
..The tibial segments around the hole of the rods were then prepared by standard histological techniques. The linear tissue surfaces, that had been in contact with the surface of the rod, were analyzed in a ..
- In vivo observations of cell trafficking in allotransplanted vascularized skin flaps and conventional skin grafts
Benjamin M Horner
Plastic Surgery Research Laboratory, Department of Surgery, WAC 435, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 63:711-9. 2010
..examining skin rejection has mainly studied rejection of conventional skin grafts (CSG) using standard histological techniques. The aim of this study was to objectively assess if there were differences in the immune response to CSG ..
- Decreased dorsal raphe nucleus neuronal activity in adult chloral hydrate anesthetized rats following neonatal clomipramine treatment: implications for endogenous depression
G G Kinney
Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Sleep Research Laboratory at the Georgia Mental Health Institute, N E Atlanta, GA 30306, USA
Brain Res 756:68-75. 1997
..testing 'depressed' rats at both 2 and 3 months of age, and verifying electrode location using standard histological techniques. We found that DRN unit firing in 'depressed' rats (0.417 +/- 0...