Genomes and Genes
Summary: The infiltrating of histological specimens with plastics, including acrylic resins, epoxy resins and polyethylene glycol, for support of the tissues in preparation for sectioning with a microtome.
Publications154 found, 100 shown here
- A study of neovascularization in the rat ischemic hindlimb using Araldite casting and Spalteholtz tissue clearingPeter E Westerweel
Department of Vascular Medicine, University Medical Center Utrecht, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Cardiovasc Pathol 14:294-7. 2005..We explored an alternative strategy to corrosion casting for visualizing neovascularization in a rat hindlimb ischemia model...
- Bone histomorphometry in arthritis modelsGeorg Schett
Methods Mol Med 135:269-83. 2007..Finally, evaluation of arthritic paw sections by histomorphometry, a semiautomated computerized method to measure areas of interest, is described...
- Correlative light and electron microscopy using immunolabeled resin sectionsHeinz Schwarz
Max Planck Institut fur Entwicklungsbiologie, Tuebingen, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 369:229-56. 2007..Subsequent sections, labeled with immunogold, are analyzed by electron microscopy to identify the label within the cellular architecture at high resolution...
- Rapid diagnostic thin section electron microscopy of bacterial endosporesMichael Laue
Centre for Biological Safety 4, Robert Koch Institute, Nordufer 20, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Microbiol Methods 70:45-54. 2007..Because of its universality and speed the described protocol complements negative staining electron microscopy as a front line method for the morphology-based diagnosis of pathogens in environmental and clinical samples...
- Triton X-100 pretreatment of LR-white thin sections improves immunofluorescence specificity and intensitySalem S Ghrebi
Department of Oral Biological and Medical Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Microsc Res Tech 70:555-62. 2007..This novel technique could be applied in many research areas where postembedding fluorescent immunolabeling with higher labeling intensity is desired...
- Rapid plastic embedding is compatible with colorimetric detection following whole mount in situ hybridization in plant specimensA J Reid
Department of Biology, University of Calgary, AB, Canada
Biotech Histochem 76:3-9. 2001..R. White resin containing 10% (v/v) polyethylene glycol 400, and heat polymerized. The addition of the plasticizer allows L.R. White embedded tissues to be sectioned at 10 microm providing excellent signal contrast...
- A novel method for correlating internal and external structure of individual myelinated nerve fibresZ Cai
Department of Neurology and University Department of Neurology, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
J Neurosci Methods 105:39-43. 2001..This method is particularly useful for the correlative study of the myelin-axon relationships...
- Ciliated epithelium-lined radicular cystsP N Ramachandran Nair
Department of Oral Structural Biology, Center of Dental and Oral Medicine, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 94:485-93. 2002..This report describes 3 cases of ciliated epithelium-lined radicular cysts among 256 apical periodontitis lesions and also illustrates the occurrence of an Actinomyces-infected periapical cyst...
- Freeze-dried and resin-embedded biological material is well suited for ultrastructure researchL Edelmann
Anatomie und Zellbiologie, Universitat des Saarlandes, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
J Microsc 207:5-26. 2002..Sublimation studies with differently hydrated and cryofixed macromolecules are suggested to settle this issue...
- Embedding in Spurr's resin is a good choice for immunolabelling after freeze drying as shown with chemically unfixed dendritic cellsD Spehner
INSERM EPI 99 08, EFS Alsace, 10 rue Spielmann 67065 Strasbourg, France
J Microsc 207:1-4. 2002..Furthermore, we demonstrate the feasibility of protein localization in ultrathin sections by immunolabelling of the major histocompatibility class II molecules...
- High resolution micromill sampling for analysis of fish otoliths by ICP-MS: effects of sampling and specimen preparation on trace element fingerprintsZikri Arslan
Jackson State University, Department of Chemistry, P O Box 17910, Jackson, MS 39217, USA
Mar Environ Res 66:364-71. 2008..Bias on Zn was larger that could limit its application in discriminating individuals...
- Correlative light/electron microscopy for the investigation of microbial mats from Black Sea Cold SeepsChristoph Wrede
Institut für Mikrobiologie und Genetik der Universität Göttingen, Grisebachstr 8, D 37077 Gottingen, Germany
J Microbiol Methods 73:85-91. 2008..This allows lectin mapping at low resolution for light microscopy in direct comparison with a highly resolved electron microscopic image...
- A simple method for orienting silk and other flexible fibres in transmission electron microscopy specimensJ E Trancik
University of Oxford, Department of Materials, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PH, UK
J Microsc 203:235-8. 2001..Both transverse and longitudinal sections can then be cut with a microtome. The method can be extended to obtain sections at any intermediate orientation...
- The effect of dental implant spacing on peri-implant bone using the rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) tibia modelC L Hatley
Staff Prosthodontist, U.S. Army Dental Activity, Fort Stewart, GA, USA
J Prosthodont 10:154-9. 2001..CONCLUSION: Within the limits of this study, it seems placing implants closely together does not adversely affect bone height or density. Conversely, it seems that placing implants closer together may increase bone growth...
- Electron microscopic studies of ion- and H2O-transporting epithelial cells in the horizontal ampulla of the pigeonH Villegas
Institute of Anatomy, , Germany
Histol Histopathol 16:1161-74. 2001..The question whether the proteins are dispersed in the endolymph or contribute to cupula formation remains unclear. The morphology and possible functions of these two cell types are discussed on the basis of electron microscopic results...
- [Application of double immunostaining in resin-embedded bone marrow biopsy specimens]Hong Yan Wu
Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 36:853-4. 2007
- Histologic and radiographic assessment of caries-like lesions localized at the crown marginAxel Zoellner
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Witten Herdecke, Witten, Germany
J Prosthet Dent 88:54-9. 2002..Little is known about the impact of crown margins on the demineralization and remineralization process or on the interpretation of radiographs for the detection of early secondary caries...
- Site-specific 3D imaging of cells and tissues with a dual beam microscopeJurgen A W Heymann
Laboratory of Cell Biology, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Struct Biol 155:63-73. 2006..Our results demonstrate that dual beam imaging is a powerful new tool for cellular and subcellular imaging in 3D for both basic biomedical and clinical applications...
- Use of anti-fluorophore antibody to achieve high-sensitivity immunolocalizations of transporters and ion channelsRichard A Coleman
Physiology Department, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 54:817-27. 2006..In demonstration of the methods, we describe the localization of the thiazide-sensitive sodium/chloride cotransporter and the epithelial sodium channel in rat kidney...
- How we process trephine biopsy specimens: epoxy resin embedded bone marrow biopsiesT Krenacs
Laboratory of Tumour Pathology and Molecular Diagnostics, Institute for Biotechnology, Bay Zoltan Foundation for Applied Research, H 6726 Szeged, Derkovits fasor 2, Hungary
J Clin Pathol 58:897-903. 2005..By meeting traditional and contemporary demands on the haematopathologist, it offers a powerful alternative to paraffin wax processing for diagnosis and research...
- A 16-year study of the microgap between 272 human titanium implants and their abutmentsAntonio Scarano
Dental School, University of Chieti Pescara, Chieti, Italy
J Oral Implantol 31:269-75. 2005..In these retrieved implants, the size of the microgap was markedly variable and much larger than that observed in vitro...
- A new technique for hard tissuesW Morrow
University of Missouri Kansas City, School of Medicine, Basic Medical Science, 64108, USA
Biotech Histochem 77:43-5. 2002..I outline here two simple techniques for producing stained, ground, thin sections using readily available Romanowsky-type cytology stains and a urine sediment stain. Results are comparable to hematoxylin and eosin stained specimens...
- Plastination of dissected brain specimens and Mulligan-stained sections of the human brainF M Baeres
Institute of Medical Anatomy, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Eur J Morphol 39:307-11. 2001....
- Subcellular localization of GABA receptors in the central nervous system using post-embedding immunohistochemistryWendy L Heck
Department of Biology and Cell Molecular Physiology, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Brain Res Brain Res Protoc 9:173-80. 2002..Therefore, unlike many protocols for post-embedding immunoelectronmicroscopy, this method allows for superior preservation of tissue ultrastructure compared to results previously published by others...
- Autometallographic localization of heavy metals in resin sections, cryosections and isolated cells of the mussel Mytilus galloprovincialis (L.)E K Raftopoulou
Department of Genetics, Development and Molecular Biology, School of Biology, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece
Histochem J 34:583-8. 2002....
- Aortic arch variation analyzed by using plastinationMircea Constantin Sora
Plastination Laboratory, Institute of Anatomy, Vienna University, Vienna, Austria
Clin Anat 15:379-82. 2002..The caliber and length of the main branches of the aortic arch were determined and compared to reports in the literature. This variation was discovered in the context of producing transverse body slices using an E12 plastination process...
- An improved electron microscopic technique for the immunolabeling of Cryptosporidium parvum oocystsMark C Jenkins
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Parasitol 92:403-5. 2006..The improved fixation and embedding method permits efficient immunolabeling of both nonexcysted and excysted C. parvum oocysts and may be applicable to other oocyst- and cyst-forming protozoa...
- Tissue-plastinated vs. celloidin-embedded large serial sections in video, analog and digital photographic on-screen reproduction: a preliminary step to exact virtual 3D modelling, exemplified in the normal midface and cleft-lip and palateConstantin A Landes
Maxillofacial and Facial Plastic Surgery, J W Goethe University Medical Centre, Frankfurt, Germany
J Anat 207:175-91. 2005..Digital photography is preferred for on-screen analysis...
- Demonstration of intravital microfissures in undecalcified plastic-embedded temporal bones with the prestaining techniqueT Frisch
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 110:749-57. 2001..The importance of microfissures in the petrous bone in the causation of otosclerosis and perilymphatic leakage has long been discussed, and the present techniques may advance our understanding of these pathological conditions..
- Enhancement of immunogold-labelled focal adhesion sites in fibroblasts cultured on metal substrates: problems and solutionsG R Owen
AO Research Institute, Clavadelerstrasse, Davos Platz, Switzerland
Cell Biol Int 25:1251-9. 2001..Therefore, comparative studies of cell adhesion to different biomaterial substrates can be performed using immunogold-labelling with gold enhancement...
- Use of surface affinity enrichment and cryo-embedding to prepare in vitro reconstituted mitotic chromosomes for EM tomographyPeter Konig
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143 2240, USA
Ultramicroscopy 103:261-74. 2005..The implications of the new method for the preparation of other difficult samples and additional application possibilities are discussed...
- Postembedding ultrastructural in situ hybridization on ultrathin cryosections and LR white resin sectionsP Mandry
GSF Institute of Pathology, , Germany
Ultrastruct Pathol 17:185-94. 1993..EBV DNA was detected in the nucleus and/or cytoplasm in 10% to 20% of P3HR1 cells. A similar percentage of cells in thin L-sectioned material prepared by routine methods showed virus particles at different stages of maturation...
- Optimization of glycol methacrylate embedding of large specimens in neurological research. Study of rat skull-brain specimens after implantation of polyester meshesRalf Quester
Faculty of Medicine, Center for Neurosurgery, Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Clinic, University of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmann Strasse 9, 50931 Koln, Germany
J Neurosci Methods 113:15-26. 2002....
- Cell-free extract systems and the cytoskeleton: preparation of biochemical experiments for transmission electron microscopyMargaret Coughlin
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 369:199-212. 2007..Working in vitro opens these complex processes to biochemical dissection. Here, we describe methods to view these in vitro preparations by thin-section electron microscopy...
- Processing plant tissues for ultrastructural studyJohn Kuo
Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis, The University of Western Australia, Western Australia, Australia
Methods Mol Biol 369:35-45. 2007..Additional vacuum infiltration during resin infiltration procedure to improve the efficiency of resin penetration is implemented...
- Staining of the Reinke crystalloids in the human testis--re-evaluation studyNobuyuki Nakamura
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, 7 45 1 Nanakuma, Johnan ku, Fukuoka City, Fukuoka, 814 0180 Japan
Okajimas Folia Anat Jpn 82:103-10. 2005..The reasons for stainability and/or non stainability of CRs with hematoxylin, eosin and other dyes are discussed...
- Biological staining: mechanisms and theoryR W Horobin
Division of Neuroscience and Biomedical Systems, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences, The University of Glasgow, UK
Biotech Histochem 77:3-13. 2002..The QSAR correlates with staining of endoplasmic reticulum, lysosomes, mitochondria, DNA, or the plasma membranes of living cells...
- Vasa vasorum of the human great saphenous veinD Kachlik
Department of Anatomy, 3rd Medical Faculty of Charles University, Ruska 87, 100 00 Prague 10, Czech Republic
Surg Radiol Anat 24:377-81. 2003..No lymphatic was found in any of the layers of GSV wall. From the findings the authors recommend extremely careful dissection of the GSV wall during in situ grafting surgery, to ensure the best viability of the venous wall...
- Co-localization and functional cross-talk between A1 and P2Y1 purine receptors in rat hippocampusI Tonazzini
Department of Psychiatry Neurobiology Pharmacology and Biotechnology, University of Pisa, 56126, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 26:890-902. 2007..This may be particularly important during pathological conditions, when large amounts of these mediators are released...
- Harder and stiffer bone osseointegrated to roughened titaniumF Butz
The Jane and Jerry Weintraub Center for Reconstructive Biotechnology, Division of Advanced Prosthodontics, Biomaterials and Hospital Dentistry, UCLA School of Dentistry, 10833 Le Conte Avenue B3 087 CHS, Box 951668, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1668, USA
J Dent Res 85:560-5. 2006....
- Quadriplegic areflexic ICU illness: selective thick filament loss and normal nerve histologyHoward W Sander
Department of Neurology, Peripheral Neuropathy Center, Weill College of Medicine of Cornell University, 635 Madison Ave, Suite 400, New York, New York 10022, USA
Muscle Nerve 26:499-505. 2002..This suggests that areflexic ICU quadriplegia is a primary myopathy and not an axonal polyneuropathy...
- Improvements in histological quality and signal retention following in situ hybridization in early chick embryos using plastic resin and recolorizationA L Sawitzke
Division of Natural Sciences, Salt Lake Community College, 4600 S Redwood Road, Salt Lake City, Utah 84123, USA
Biotech Histochem 80:35-41. 2005....
- Comparative studies of the cell structures of Mycobacterium leprae and M. tuberculosis using the electron microscopy freeze-substitution techniqueAkemi Takade
Department of Bacteriology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 47:265-70. 2003..The cell widths measured on electron micrographs were 0.44 microm for M. tuberculosis and 0.38 microm for M. leprae. The peptidoglycan layer of M. leprae was 4-5 nm, while the corresponding layer of M. tuberculosis was 10-15 nm...
- Apoptotic changes of Middle East jaw lymphomaRaja Kummoona
Iraqi Board of Medical Specializations, Medical Avenue America 38 2 887, PO Box 65066, Baghdad, Iraq
J Craniofac Surg 17:231-5. 2006..The presence of low-level of apoptosis is a poor prognostic feature of jaw lymphoma due to homogeneity and degenerative changes of the mitochondria and disruption of the cell surface...
- Progressive hearing loss in mice with a mutated vitamin D receptor geneJing Zou
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
Audiol Neurootol 13:219-30. 2008..Hormonal forms of vitamin D regulate transcription by binding with the high-affinity vitamin D receptor (VDR)...
- Uptake of 111In-Z2D3 on SPECT imaging in a swine model of coronary stent restenosis correlated with cell proliferationLynne L Johnson
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Brown University, Rhode Island Hospital, MB Room 209, 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Nucl Med 45:294-9. 2004..We hypothesized that an antibody linked to polymers to increase specific radioactivity can be visualized on SPECT images and that counts in the target will correlate with the strength of the biologic signal...
- From blastocyst to placenta: the morphology of implantation in the baboonA C Enders
Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, School of Medicine, and California Regional Primate Research Center, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Hum Reprod Update 3:561-73. 1997..All tissues were prepared for electron microscopy by aldehyde fixation and plastic embedding. Maturation of trophoblast from the compacted morula stage to the expanded blastocyst stage includes ..
- Cytokine accumulation in osteitis fibrosa of renal osteodystrophyM E L Duarte
Programa Avançado de Biologia Celular Aplicado à Medicine PABCAM, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 35:25-9. 2002..necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta) using an undecalcified plastic embedding method...
- Freeze-substitution: the addition of water to polar solvents enhances the retention of structure and acts at temperatures around -60 degrees CC Buser
Zentrale Einrichtung Elektronenmikroskopie, Universitaet Ulm, Albert Einstein Allee 11, 89069 Ulm, Germany
J Microsc 230:268-77. 2008High-pressure freezing followed by freeze substitution and plastic embedding is becoming a more widely used method for TEM sample preparation...
- A comparison of fixation methods on lung morphology in a murine model of emphysemaS Braber
Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht Univ, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 299:L843-51. 2010..lung morphology for lung emphysema analysis when embedded in paraffin, while for Carnoy's fixed lungs, plastic embedding was preferred...
- Bone histomorphometry in three females with Rett syndromeS S Budden
Division of Developmental Pediatrics, Oregon Health Sciences University, P O Box 574, Portland, OR 97207, USA
Brain Dev 23:S133-7. 2001..Samples were processed for plastic embedding, sectioned, stained, and histomorphometry performed in the cancellous bone...
- Three-dimensional distributions of elements in biological samples by energy-filtered electron tomographyR D Leapman
Division of Bioengineering and Physical Science, ORS, National Institutes of Health, Building 13, 3N17, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Ultramicroscopy 100:115-25. 2004..of the nematode, Caenorhabditis elegans were prepared by high-pressure freezing, freeze-substitution and plastic embedding. Images were recorded at energy losses above and below the phosphorus L2,3 edge using a post-column imaging ..
- Aclar discs: a versatile substrate for routine high-pressure freezing of mammalian cell monolayersN Jimenez
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Institute of Biomembranes, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Microsc 221:216-23. 2006..the artefacts induced by conventional chemical fixation, and, in combination with freeze-substitution and plastic embedding, is a reliable method for the ultrastructural analysis of mammalian cell monolayers...
- The use of filter membranes for high-pressure freezing of cell monolayersM K Morphew
The Boulder Laboratory for 3 D Electron Microscopy of Cells, Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309, USA
J Microsc 212:21-5. 2003Rapid freezing of cells and tissues, followed by freeze-substitution fixation and plastic embedding, has become a highly reliable method for preparing samples for imaging in the electron microscope...
- A comparison of methods for the estimation of retroviral burdenS T Bierley
IEM Section, Pathology Associates International, Durham NC, USA
Dev Biol Stand 88:163-5. 1996..To validate further the plastic embedding with thin sectioning, we evaluated cell culture supernatants (pellets) for retroviral burden at various ..
- Electron microscopic contrast of the cytoskeleton and junctional complexes of intestinal epithelial cells by ethanolic phosphotungstic acidA Tato
Central Service for Support to Experimental Research, University of Valencia, Burjassot, Spain
Eur J Morphol 38:134-41. 2000After glutaraldehyde fixation and treatment with ethanolic phosphotungstic acid (E-PTA) before plastic embedding, sections of rat large intestine showed a characteristic electron contrasting pattern in epithelial cells...
- Cytomegalovirus primary envelopment occurs at large infoldings of the inner nuclear membraneChristopher Buser
Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Institut fur Virologie, Albert Einstein Allee 11, 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Virol 81:3042-8. 2007..cytomegalovirus by transmission electron microscopy after high-pressure freezing, freeze substitution, and plastic embedding. We observed large tubular infoldings of the inner nuclear membrane that were free of lamina and active in ..
- Temporal development of 2',3'-dideoxyinosine (ddI)-induced peripheral myelinopathyT A Patterson
Division of Neurotoxicology, National Center for Toxicological Research FDA, 72079 9502, Jefferson, AR, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 22:429-34. 2000..by immersion in neutral phosphate-buffered formalin, dehydrated in graded alcohols, and embedded in plastic embedding media. One-micrometer-thick sections were cut and stained with toluidine blue and basic fuchsin...
- The low temperature vacuum embedding technique for X-ray microanalysis of the developing inner earS O Wikström
Department of Otolaryngology, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Otolaryngol 105:223-31. 1988..With plastic embedding, an improvement of the morphological resolution was achieved, which allows reliable structural ..
- Apoptosis in male germinal line cells of rat in vivo: caused by phosphamidonM A Akbarsha
Department of Animal Science, School of Life Sciences, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirappalli, India
Cytobios 91:33-44. 1997..It is suggested that plastic embedding and semithin sectioning are appropriate methodologies to identify apoptotic cells in histological ..
- Diagnosis of unknown nonhematological tumors by bone marrow biopsy: a retrospective analysis of 10,112 samplesLi Xiao
Department of Hematology, the Sixth Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 135:687-93. 2009..To investigate how unselected bone marrow (BM) biopsy examinations could help in the diagnosis of clinically unknown nonhematological tumors...
- Making the most of bone marrow trephine biopsyBridget S Wilkins
Guy s and St Thomas Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, King s College, London and Newcastle University, Newcastle, UK
Histopathology 55:631-40. 2009..The requirement for decalcification or plastic embedding during tissue processing poses additional challenges for histological quality and successful application of ..
- Three-dimensional analysis of molecular signals with episcopic imaging techniquesWolfgang J Weninger
Integrative Morphology Group, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Methods Mol Biol 411:35-46. 2007..In contrast, the plastic embedding medium used in HREM is strongly fluorescent, and tissue architecture is detected at the surface because of ..
- Semi-thin sections of epoxy resin-embedded mouse embryos in morphological analysis of whole mount in situ RNA hybridizationD Mitrecic
Croatian Institute for Brain Research, School of Medicine, Salata 12, HR 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
J Microsc 232:504-7. 2008..Therefore, use of plastic embedding media, which allow semi-thin and ultra-thin sectioning for light and electron microscopy, could be an ..
- Early effect of a single intravenous injection of ethanol on hepatic sinusoidal endothelial fenestrae in rabbitsFrank Jacobs
Center for Molecular and Vascular Biology, Department of Molecular and Cellular Medicine, University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, Leuven, 3000, Belgium
Comp Hepatol 8:4. 2009..The effect of ethanol on the size of fenestrae was studied using transmission electron microscopy, because plastic embedding provides true measures for the diameter of fenestrae...
- Cryo-electron tomography in biology and medicineRoman I Koning
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Section Electron Microscopy, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Ann Anat 191:427-45. 2009..The use of cryo-preparation and imaging techniques eliminates artifacts induced by plastic embedding and staining of the samples is circumvented...
- Low-temperature glycol methacrylate resin embedding method: A protocol suitable for bone marrow immunohistochemistry, PCR, and fish analysisQiGuo Zhang
Department of Hematology, The Affiliated Drum Tower Hospital of Nanjing University Medical School, Nanjing 210008, China
Microsc Res Tech 73:1067-71. 2010..method, BM enzyme activity and antigenic determinants are well preserved, and moreover, DNA extracted from plastic embedding sections is suitable for PCR amplification and sequencing, FISH analysis can be well done because of the DNA ..
- Reflection contrast microscopy: The bridge between light and electron microscopyF A Prins
Department of Pathology, Leiden University Hospital, The Netherlands
Methods Mol Biol 319:363-401. 2006..Therefore, plastic embedding is recommended.
- Labeling of ultrathin resin sections for correlative light and electron microscopyGunar Fabig
Center for Regenerative Therapies, TU Dresden, Fetscherstraße 105, D 01307 Dresden, Saxony, Germany
Methods Cell Biol 111:75-93. 2012..This way, fluorescent signals can be directly correlated to the corresponding subcellular structures in the area of interest...
- Taking public education seriously: BODY WORLDS, the science museum, and democratizing bioethics educationCatherine Myser
Am J Bioeth 7:34-6; discussion W1-3. 2007
- Correlative light and electron microscopy of intermediate stages of meiotic spindle assembly in the early Caenorhabditis elegans embryoIna Woog
Medical Theoretical Center MTZ, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, University of Technology Dresden, Fiedlerstraße 42, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Methods Cell Biol 111:223-34. 2012..The ex-utero approach allows precise tracking of the developmental events in isolated meiotic embryos, thus facilitating the comparison of structural features between wild-type and mutant or RNAi-treated samples...
- Three-dimensional reconstruction of the ankle by means of ultrathin slice plastinationMircea Constantin Sora
Plastination Laboratory, Center for Anatomy and Cell Biology, Medical University of Vienna, Austria
Clin Anat 20:196-200. 2007..Morphometric analysis indicated that the model did not significantly differ from a sample of cadaveric specimens. These data support the use of plastinates for generating tissues sections useful for 3D computerized modeling...
- Fluorescence-integrated transmission electron microscopy images: integrating fluorescence microscopy with transmission electron microscopyPaul A Sims
Zoology Department, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, USA
Methods Mol Biol 369:291-308. 2007..This procedure preserves the structure and function of green fluorescent protein (GFP) as determined by immunogold labeling of GFP, when compared with GFP expression, both demonstrated in the same thin section...
- Correlative light-electron microscopy as a tool to study in vivo dynamics and ultrastructure of intracellular structuresElena V Polishchuk
Institute of Protein Biochemistry, Naples, Italy
Methods Mol Biol 931:413-22. 2013..Here, we present a detailed protocol that describes all of the "tricks" and know-hows involved in carrying out the crucial steps of a CLEM experiment...
- Conventional specimen preparation techniques for transmission electron microscopy of cultured cellsJohn J Bozzola
IMAGE Center, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL, USA
Methods Mol Biol 369:1-18. 2007..Directions are given on how to prepare the most commonly used buffers, fixatives, enrobement media, and embedding resins. These methods may be applied to most cultured organisms, from bacteria to mammalian cells...
- Plastinated heart slices aid echocardiographic interpretation in the dogAlejandro Gomez
Department of Anatomy and Comparative Pathology, Veterinary Faculty, University of Murcia, Spain
Vet Radiol Ultrasound 53:197-203. 2012..Because of the dilation of the right heart during the fixation process, it was not possible to obtain plastinated specimens in ventricular systole. This paper may be a reference atlas for assisting 2D echocardiography interpretation...
- Computer aided three-dimensional reconstruction and modeling of the pelvis, by using plastinated cross sections, as a powerful tool for morphological investigationsMircea Constantin Sora
Plastination Laboratory, Center for Anatomy and Cell Biology, Plastination and Topografic Anatomy, Medical University of Vienna, Währingerstr 13 3, 1090, Vienna, Austria
Surg Radiol Anat 34:731-6. 2012..Although databases consisting of serial sections derived from frozen cadaver material exist, plastination represents an alternative method for developing anatomical data useful for computerized reconstruction...
- Quantification and thickness correction of EFTEM phosphorus mapsM A Aronova
Division of Bioengineering and Physical Science, ORS, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Ultramicroscopy 107:232-44. 2007..First, the single-scattering EELS distributions are obtained from specimens of pure carbon and plastic embedding material...
- Lysosomal accumulation of SCMAS (subunit c of mitochondrial ATP synthase) in neurons of the mouse model of mucopolysaccharidosis III BSergey Ryazantsev
Department of Biological Chemistry, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1737, USA
Mol Genet Metab 90:393-401. 2007..Samples used for cryo-EM and further processed by standard EM procedures (osmium tetroxide fixation and plastic embedding) showed the disappearance of the SCMAS fingerprint arrays and appearance in the same location of "zebra ..
- Embedding, serial sectioning and staining of zebrafish embryos using JB-4 resinJessica Sullivan-Brown
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
Nat Protoc 6:46-55. 2011..Overall, we reinforce that plastic embedding can provide higher resolution of cellular details and is a valuable tool for cellular and morphological ..
- Use of micro-computed tomography to nondestructively characterize biomineral coatings on solid freeform fabricated poly (L-lactic acid) and poly ((ε-caprolactone) scaffolds in vitro and in vivoEiji Saito
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Tissue Eng Part C Methods 19:507-17. 2013..The presence of a biomineral coating within the porous scaffolds was confirmed through plastic embedding and μ-CT techniques...
- A novel bone scraper for intraoral harvesting: a device for filling small bone defectsDavide Zaffe
Department of Anatomy and Histology, Section of Human Anatomy, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Clin Oral Implants Res 18:525-33. 2007..To evaluate histologically the morphology and characteristics of bone chips harvested intraorally by Safescraper, a specially designed cortical bone collector...
- Ultramicrotomy for biological electron microscopyHerbert K Hagler
Department of Pathology, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Methods Mol Biol 369:67-96. 2007..This chapter is designed to assist the beginner in microtomy in understanding more fully the terms and basic principles involved in producing ultrathin sections of most plastic-embedded biological specimens...
- Electron microscopy in situ hybridization: tracking of DNA and RNA sequences at high resolutionDusan Cmarko
Institute of Cellular Biology and Pathology, Ist Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Methods Mol Biol 369:213-28. 2007..The post-embedding EM-ISH protocol that currently represents the most widely used technique is described in detail, with a special emphasis on the organization of the cell nucleus...
- Behavioral, histological, and ex vivo magnetic resonance imaging assessment of graded contusion spinal cord injury in miceRebecca A Nishi
CRF Spinal Cord Injury Core Research Facility, University of California, Irvine, California 92697 4540, USA
J Neurotrauma 24:674-89. 2007..These results give researchers more options in how to analyze spinal cord injuries in animal models...
- Influence of cervical preflaring on determination of apical file size in maxillary molars: SEM analysisJosé Roberto Vanni
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Passo Fundo FOUPF, Passo Fundo, RS, Brazil
Braz Dent J 16:181-6. 2005..Canals preflared with LA Axxess burs showed a more accurate binding of the files to the anatomical diameter at the WL in the mesiobuccal roots of maxillary first molars...
- In vivo and in vitro effects of an Er:YAG laser, a GaAlAs diode laser, and scaling and root planing on periodontally diseased root surfaces: a comparative histologic studyFrank Schwarz
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
Lasers Surg Med 32:359-66. 2003....
- Immunohistochemical study during healing of free palatal mucosa grafts on plastic-embedded samplesG Lauer
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital, Carl-Gustav-Carus, Dresden, Germany
J Oral Pathol Med 30:104-12. 2001....
- Localization of a G protein Gi2 in the cilia of rat ependyma, oviduct and tracheaH Shinohara
Department of Anatomy, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu, Japan
Eur J Neurosci 10:699-707. 1998..These findings suggest that Gi2 might play an important role in the signal transduction in ciliary membrane-associated function(s) of the ependymal cells, oviduct and trachea...
- A three-dimensional study of brain string vessels using celloidin sections stained with anti-collagen antibodiesV R Challa
Department of Pathology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Neurol Sci 203:165-7. 2002..This technique appears suitable for the study of large number of string vessels...
- Reclamation of acetone in plastination laboratories: a simple and inexpensive methodG Grondin
Departement de Chimie Biologie, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, Canada
Acta Anat (Basel) 158:26-9. 1997..In addition vaporized acetone released during the impregnation step of plastination is recaptured...
- Time scale and extent of neuronal and synaptic loss in the hippocampal formation of malnourished adult ratsJ P Andrade
Department of Anatomy, Porto Medical School, Portugal
Brain Res 718:1-12. 1996..These findings indicate that the changes induced by protein deprivation progressively increase during the early phases of treatment and that they are already evident after 3 months of protein deprivation...
- Effects of 2.94 microm Er:YAG laser radiation on root surfaces treated in situ: a histological studyMatthias Folwaczny
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
J Periodontol 74:360-5. 2003..g., charring or fusion, to the irradiated root surface. The purpose of the present study was to examine the morphologic changes on root surfaces following Er:YAG laser irradiation in situ using histological observation...
- Fine reconstruction of the pancreatic ductular system at the onset of pancreatitisH Endo
Department of Internal Medicine II, Shimane Medical University, Izumo, Japan
Histol Histopathol 17:107-12. 2002..However, there were no anastomoses found among the central lumina or acini...
- Minimal compression of ultrathin sections with use of an oscillating diamond knifeD Studer
M E Müller Institute for Biomechanics, University of Berne, P O Box 30, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
J Microsc 197:94-100. 2000..No additional cutting artefacts were observed in the micrographs when they were compared with sections produced without oscillating the knife...
- Celloidin mounting (embedding without infiltration) - a new, simple and reliable method for producing serial sections of high thickness through complete human brains and its application to stereological and immunohistochemical investigationsH Heinsen
Morphological Brain Research Unit, University of Wuerzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, D 97080, Wuerzburg, Germany
J Chem Neuroanat 20:49-59. 2000..Details of a fractionator analysis of the total striatal neuron number are described and the possible quantitative analysis of parallel immunohistochemically stained sections is discussed...
- The microvascular anatomy of the metatarsal bones: a plastination studyBjörn Rath
Department of Anatomy, University of Cologne, Joseph Stelzmann Str 9, 50931, Cologne, Germany
Surg Radiol Anat 31:271-7. 2009..The purpose of this study was to categorize and systematize the arterial supply of the metatarsal bones and furthermore the observation of arterial lesions after frequently performed forefoot surgeries...
- Immunohistochemical staining of plastic (methyl-methacrylate)-embedded bone marrow biopsies applying the biotin-free tyramide signal amplification systemEkkehard Kunze
Department of Osteopathology and Haematopathology, University of Goettingen, D 37099 Goettingen, Germany
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 16:76-82. 2008....
- Recognition of basic fuchsin prestained microfissures of intravital origin with fluorescence microscopy: validation of a shortcutT Frisch
Otopathological Laboratory, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery F 2071, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 258:55-60. 2001..This may prove to be of particular value in the research into the etiology and pathogenesis of otosclerosis as well as perilymphatic fistulae...
- What a piece of work is man: the Body Worlds exhibit at the Milwaukee Public MuseumJoan M Bedinghaus
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226 0509, USA
WMJ 107:59-61. 2008
- Electron microscopic assessment of smeared or imprinted specimens of solid tumoursJ E Dahlstrom
Department of Anatomical Pathology, ACT Pathology, The Canberra Hospital, and Canberra Clinical School, University of Sydney, Australia
Pathology 33:226-9. 2001..This technique ensures that well-preserved tissue is available for electron microscopy even when the sample size is very limited...
- Adverse Effects of Noise on Hearing: Basic MechanismsBARBARA BOHNE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our goal is to provide information on possible mechanisms of noise damage in the cochlea as a basis for developing scientifically sound strategies for reducing noise-induced hearing loss in humans. ..
- Electron Tomography of Adhesive JunctionsDavid Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2006..In preliminary work, we have studied intact desmosomes from after freeze-substitution and plastic embedding of newborn mouse epidermis...
- Adverse Effects of Noise on Hearing: Basic MechanismsBarbara A Bohne; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our results will provide information on mechanisms of damage from moderate noise so that drugs that will prevent or minimize noise-induced hair-cell death can be developed. ..
- CORE--BONE MORPHOMETRY AND MOLECULAR IMAGINGRobert Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2001..routine plastic embedding, sectioning and staining of undecalcified, tetracycline labeled bone for quantitative histological analysis; ..
- A MULTI-SCALE APPROACH TO CELL STRUCTURE & FUNCTIONAndreas Hoenger; Fiscal Year: 2010..molecular resolution in 3-D, and large-scale 3-D imaging typically provided by freeze substitution and plastic embedding of cells and tissue...
- A MULTI-SCALE APPROACH TO CELL STRUCTURE & FUNCTIONAndreas Hoenger; Fiscal Year: 2010..molecular resolution in 3-D, and large-scale 3-D imaging typically provided by freeze substitution and plastic embedding of cells and tissue...
- A MULTI-SCALE APPROACH TO CELL STRUCTURE & FUNCTIONAndreas Hoenger; Fiscal Year: 2009..molecular resolution in 3-D, and large-scale 3-D imaging typically provided by freeze substitution and plastic embedding of cells and tissue...
- CORE--NEUROPATHOLOGYStephen De Armond; Fiscal Year: 2002..of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections; histochemical stains of crystal sections of muscle; plastic embedding and toluidine blue staining of thick sections of peripheral nerve; electron microscopy; and full autopsies ..
- CORE--NEUROPATHOLOGYStephen De Armond; Fiscal Year: 2001..of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections; histochemical stains of crystal sections of muscle; plastic embedding and toluidine blue staining of thick sections of peripheral nerve; electron microscopy; and full autopsies ..
- CORE--NEUROPATHOLOGYStephen De Armond; Fiscal Year: 2000..of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections; histochemical stains of crystal sections of muscle; plastic embedding and toluidine blue staining of thick sections of peripheral nerve; electron microscopy; and full autopsies ..
- Electron Tomography of Adhesive JunctionsDavid Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2004..In preliminary work, we have studied intact desmosomes from after freeze-substitution and plastic embedding of newborn mouse epidermis...
- Electron Tomography of Adhesive JunctionsDavid Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2005..In preliminary work, we have studied intact desmosomes from after freeze-substitution and plastic embedding of newborn mouse epidermis...
- Electron Tomography of Adhesive JunctionsDavid Stokes; Fiscal Year: 2006
- CORE--NEUROPATHOLOGYStephen De Armond; Fiscal Year: 2001..on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections; histochemical stains on cryostat sections of muscle; plastic embedding and toluidine blue staining of thick sections of peripheral nerve; electron microscopy; and full autopsies ..
- CORE--NEUROPATHOLOGYStephen De Armond; Fiscal Year: 2000..on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections; histochemical stains on cryostat sections of muscle; plastic embedding and toluidine blue staining of thick sections of peripheral nerve; electron microscopy; and full autopsies ..
- CORE--NEUROPATHOLOGYStephen De Armond; Fiscal Year: 2002..on formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections; histochemical stains on cryostat sections of muscle; plastic embedding and toluidine blue staining of thick sections of peripheral nerve; electron microscopy; and full autopsies ..
- CORE--NEUROPATHOLOGYSTEVE DEARMOND; Fiscal Year: 2001
- CORE--ELECTRON MICROSCOPYJUDITH OGILVIE; Fiscal Year: 2002..These services include tissue processing and plastic embedding, tissue preparation for scanning electron microscopy, sectioning of plastic embedded tissue for light and ..
- CORE--DI VIRAL VECTORMICHEAL LAI; Fiscal Year: 2000..Exceptions are those procedures (plastic embedding and EM) which require perfusion...
- CORE--DI VIRAL VECTORMICHEAL LAI; Fiscal Year: 2002..Exceptions are those procedures (plastic embedding and EM) which require perfusion...
- CORE--DI VIRAL VECTORMICHEAL LAI; Fiscal Year: 2001..Exceptions are those procedures (plastic embedding and EM) which require perfusion...
- CORE--DI VIRAL VECTORMICHEAL LAI; Fiscal Year: 1999..Exceptions are those procedures (plastic embedding and EM) which require perfusion...
- CORE--CELL MORPHOLOGYPaul McCray; Fiscal Year: 2001..Core are: 1) To provide appropriate methods of tissue fixation, processing, cryopreservation, paraffin or plastic embedding sectioning and routine staining for Center investigators...
- CORE -- CELLULAR MORPHOLOGYPaul McCray; Fiscal Year: 2003..Core are: l) To provide appropriate methods of tissue fixation, processing, cryopreservation, paraffin or plastic embedding, sectioning and routine staining for Center investigators...
- CORE--CELL MORPHOLOGYPaul McCray; Fiscal Year: 2002..Core are: 1) To provide appropriate methods of tissue fixation, processing, cryopreservation, paraffin or plastic embedding sectioning and routine staining for Center investigators...
- CORE--CELL MORPHOLOGYPaul McCray; Fiscal Year: 1999..Core are: 1) To provide appropriate methods of tissue fixation, processing, cryopreservation, paraffin or plastic embedding sectioning and routine staining for Center investigators...
- Bone CoreLaurie McCauley; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, new services of processing undecalcified osseous specimens will be initiated using plastic embedding techniques...
- CORE--CELL MORPHOLOGYPaul McCray; Fiscal Year: 2000
- CORE--GENERAL SCIENTIFICW Dietrich; Fiscal Year: 2002..The Core will process tissues for plastic embedding for both light and electron microscopic analysis...
- Bone CoreLaurie McCauley; Fiscal Year: 2009..hard tissue specimens in paraffin in addition to processing undecalcified osseous specimens using plastic embedding techniques...
- Bone CoreLaurie K McCauley; Fiscal Year: 2011..hard tissue specimens in paraffin in addition to processing undecalcified osseous specimens using plastic embedding techniques...
- CORE--HISTOPATHOLOGY AND EXPERIMENTAL ANIMAL FACILITYMaarten Bosland; Fiscal Year: 2000..cryostat sectioning, preparation of slides for immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization and PCR, plastic embedding and slide preparation, routine conventional and (immuno)histochemical staining, capability to apply special ..
- CORE--HISTOPATHOLOGY AND EXPERIMENTAL ANIMAL FACILITYMaarten Bosland; Fiscal Year: 1999..cryostat sectioning, preparation of slides for immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization and PCR, plastic embedding and slide preparation, routine conventional and (immuno)histochemical staining, capability to apply special ..
- CORE--MORPHOLOGYMARY BUNGE; Fiscal Year: 2000..The Core will process tissues for plastic embedding for both light and electron microscopic analysis...
- CORE--MORPHOLOGYMARY BUNGE; Fiscal Year: 2001..The Core will process tissues for plastic embedding for both light and electron microscopic analysis...
- CORE GRANT FOR VISION RESEARCHJONATHAN PETRASH; Fiscal Year: 1999..3. An immunopathology module will provide technical support and expertise in paraffin and plastic embedding and sectioning, will provide expertise in immunohistology and immunohistochemistry, will assist in ..
- CORE--MORPHOLOGYMARY BUNGE; Fiscal Year: 2002
- CORE--MORPHOLOGYMARY BUNGE; Fiscal Year: 2002
- CORE--MORPHOLOGYMARY BUNGE; Fiscal Year: 2002
- Adverse Effects of Noise on Hearing: Basic MechanismsBARBARA BOHNE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our goal is to provide information on possible mechanisms of noise damage in the cochlea as a basis for developing scientifically sound strategies for reducing noise-induced hearing loss in humans. ..
- Adverse Effects of Noise on Hearing: Basic MechanismsBARBARA BOHNE; Fiscal Year: 2002..Our goal is to provide information on possible mechanisms of noise damage in the cochlea as a basis for developing scientifically sound strategies for reducing noise-induced hearing loss in humans. ..
- Adverse Effects of Noise on Hearing: Basic MechanismsBARBARA BOHNE; Fiscal Year: 2003
- Adverse Effects of Noise on Hearing: Basic MechanismsBARBARA BOHNE; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our results will provide information on mechanisms of damage from moderate noise so that drugs that will prevent or minimize noise-induced hair-cell death can be developed. ..
- Adverse Effects of Noise on Hearing: Basic MechanismsBARBARA BOHNE; Fiscal Year: 2001
- Adverse Effects of Noise on Hearing: Basic MechanismsBARBARA BOHNE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our results will provide information on mechanisms of damage from moderate noise so that drugs that will prevent or minimize noise-induced hair-cell death can be developed. ..