Genomes and Genes
Summary: A tissue preparation technique that involves the injecting of plastic (acrylates) into blood vessels or other hollow viscera and treating the tissue with a caustic substance. This results in a negative copy or a solid replica of the enclosed space of the tissue that is ready for viewing under a scanning electron microscope.
Publications157 found, 100 shown here
- Magnetic resonance angiography and vascular corrosion casting as tools in biomedical research: application to transgenic mice modeling Alzheimer's diseaseThomas Krucker
Department of Neuropharmacology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
Neurol Res 26:507-16. 2004..is limited, the in vivo studies are complemented by a powerful analysis of the vasculature using vascular corrosion casting. Both techniques revealed age-dependent blood flow alterations and cerebrovascular abnormalities in these ..
- Vascular remodeling by intussusceptive angiogenesisValentin Djonov
Institute of Anatomy, University of Bern, Buhlstrasse 26, CH 3012, Bern, Switzerland
Cell Tissue Res 314:107-17. 2003..This process occurs without disrupting organ function. Improvements in our understanding of the process should enable the development of novel pro- and anti-angiogenic therapeutic treatments...
- Morphological patterns of angiogenesis in ovarian follicle capillary networks. A scanning electron microscopy study of corrosion castGuido Macchiarelli
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of L Aquila, L Aquila, Italy
Microsc Res Tech 69:459-68. 2006..Capillary regression hits F at any stage and characterizes F atresia...
- Vascular corrosion casting technique stepsFlaviana Dornela Verli
Postgraduate Dental Program, Doctorate in Clinical Stomatology, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul PUCRS, Brazil
Scanning 29:128-32. 2007The vascular corrosion casting technique produces a replica of vascular beds of normal or pathological tissues...
- Intussusceptive angiogenesis: its role in embryonic vascular network formationV Djonov
Institute of Anatomy, University of Berne, Switzerland
Circ Res 86:286-92. 2000....
- Three-dimensional analysis of tumour vascular corrosion casts using stereoimaging and micro-computed tomographyA A Folarin
Department of Oncology, UCL Cancer Institute, London, UK
Microvasc Res 80:89-98. 2010..The purpose of this study was to quantitatively compare the vascular architecture of human colorectal cancer and experimental tumour models to determine the suitability of animal models for vascular studies and antivascular therapy...
- Vascular corrosion casting: analyzing wall shear stress in the portal vein and vascular abnormalities in portal hypertensive and cirrhotic rodentsChristophe Van Steenkiste
Department of Hepatology and Gastroenterology, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Lab Invest 90:1558-72. 2010Vascular corrosion casting is an established method of anatomical preparation that has recently been revived and has proven to be an excellent tool for detailed three-dimensional (3D) morphological examination of normal and pathological ..
- Blood vessel remodeling in pig ovarian follicles during the periovulatory period: an immunohistochemistry and SEM-corrosion casting studyAlessandra Martelli
Department of Comparative Biomedical Sciences, University of Teramo, Piazza A, Moro, 45, 64100 Teramo, Italy
Reprod Biol Endocrinol 7:72. 2009..The swine model was chosen because it is characterized by a long periovulatory window (about 40-44 hrs-similar to human) that permits to recover follicles at a precise endocrinological timing...
- New polyurethane-based material for vascular corrosion casting with improved physical and imaging characteristicsThomas Krucker
Department of Neuropharmacology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Microsc Res Tech 69:138-47. 2006Vascular corrosion casting has been established as a method to reconstruct the three-dimensional (3D) structure of blood vessels of organs and tissues...
- Analysis of microvascular trees by means of scanning electron microscopy of vascular casts and 3D-morphometryA Lametschwandtner
Department of Organismic Biology, University of Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
Ital J Anat Embryol 110:87-95. 2005....
- The microvasculature of the corpus luteum in pregnant rabbit. A scanning electron microscopy study of corrosion castsG Macchiarelli
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Ital J Anat Embryol 103:191-202. 1998..This may be probably related to the significant increase of the ovarian blood flow necessary for the maintenance of CL endocrine functions during pregnancy...
- Comparative morphology of the hemolymph vascular system in scorpions--a survey using corrosion casting, MicroCT, and 3D-reconstructionChristian S Wirkner
Institut fur Spezielle Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Erbertstr 1, Jena 07743, Germany
J Morphol 268:401-13. 2007..Use of the term "open circulatory system" within arthropods is re-emphasized, as it refers to the general organization of the body cavity (i.e. mixocoely) rather than to the complexity of the circulatory system...
- The angioarchitecture of estrous, pseudopregnant and pregnant rabbit ovary as seen by scanning electron microscopy of vascular corrosion castsS A Nottola
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, University La Sapienza, via A Borelli 50, I 00161 Rome, Italy
Cell Tissue Res 288:353-63. 1997....
- Intussusceptive angiogenesis: its emergence, its characteristics, and its significancePeter H Burri
Institute of Anatomy, University of Berne, Buehlstrasse 26, CH 3012 Berne, Switzerland
Dev Dyn 231:474-88. 2004..Vascularization of tissues, organs, and tumors rely heavily on both mechanisms; neglecting one or the other would obscure our understanding of the angiogenesis process...
- Follicular microvasculature in the porcine ovaryJ Y Jiang
Laboratory of Animal Reproduction, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, 1 1 Tsutsumidori Amamiyamachi, Aoba ku, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 310:93-101. 2002..The present observations indicate that follicular vascular baskets of diverse sizes and architecture in various developmental stages support the gradual increase of follicular blood flow during follicle growth in the pig...
- Optimality in the developing vascular system: branching remodeling by means of intussusception as an efficient adaptation mechanismValentin G Djonov
Institute of Anatomy, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Dev Dyn 224:391-402. 2002..Differential quantitative outcome of IBR in arteries and veins, and the experimental induction of IBR strongly suggest that hemodynamic factors can instruct embryonic vascular remodeling toward optimality...
- Vascular system of intramural leiomyomata revealed by corrosion casting and scanning electron microscopyJerzy A Walocha
Departments of Anatomy, Histology and Laboratory of Scanning Electron Microscopy, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Kopernika 12, 31 034 Krakow, Poland
Hum Reprod 18:1088-93. 2003..It has not been, however, investigated morphologically using the best currently available technique, corrosion casting combined with scanning electron microscopy.
- Vascular corrosion casting of the uteroplacental and fetoplacental vasculature in miceKathie J Whiteley
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Methods Mol Med 121:371-92. 2006..The methods described have been used to cast the mouse uteroplacental vasculature from 5.5-18.5 d gestation and the fetoplacental vasculature from 12.5 d gestation to term...
- Capillary angiogenesis and degeneration in bovine ovarian antral folliclesJ Y Jiang
Laboratory of Animal Reproduction, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Reproduction 125:211-23. 2003..The differential angiogenic and degenerative response of theca interna capillaries may reflect differences in the microenvironment of the follicles, which in turn determine the fate of the follicles (continued growth versus atresia)...
- Structure and blood supply of intrinsic lymph nodes in the wall of the rabbit urinary bladder--studies with light microscopy, electron microscopy, and vascular corrosion castingF E Hossler
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, James H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City 37614, USA
Anat Rec 252:477-84. 1998..The vasculature and structure of these lymph nodes was described using a combination of vascular corrosion casting, ink injection, and light and electron microscopy...
- Aging changes of the angioarchitecture and arterial morphology of the spinal cord in ratsMing Guo Qiu
Department of Anatomy, College of Medicine, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400038, PR China
Gerontology 50:360-5. 2004....
- Three-dimensional structural changes in cerebral microvessels after transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats: scanning electron microscopic study of corrosion castsMinoru Ohtake
Division of Morphological Analysis, Department of Functional, Morphological and Regulation Science, Faculty of Medicine, Tottori University, Yonago, Japan
Neuropathology 24:219-27. 2004..The present study suggested that the risk of brain edema or hemorrhagic infarction increased beyond 3 h of MCA occlusion, and vasospasm of the arterioles might participate in stroke pathophysiology...
- Structure and ultrastructure of microvessels in the kidney seen by the corrosion casting methodSimone Sangiorgi
Laboratory of Human Morphology, L Cattaneo, University of Insubria, Varese Via Monte generoso 71, Varese
Ital J Anat Embryol 109:35-44. 2004..In addition, we confirmed the close correspondence between cellular ultrastructural detail (pores, corrugations of cellular membrane, perivascular cell branches) and the impressions left on the resin visible only at high magnifications...
- Increased ovarian follicular angiogenesis and dynamic changes of follicular vascular plexuses induced by equine chorionic gonadotropin in the giltJin Yi Jiang
Laboratory of Animal Reproduction, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan
Cell Tissue Res 316:349-57. 2004..gilts 72 h after equine chorionic gonadotropin (eCG) (1,250 IU) treatment, using combined vascular corrosion casting and scanning electron microscopy...
- Microvascularization of the human digit as studied by corrosion castingS Sangiorgi
Department of Human Morphology, Laboratory of Human Morphology L Cattaneo, University of Insurbia, Varese, Italy
J Anat 204:123-31. 2004..In the nail bed, the vessels were arranged in many longitudinal trabeculae parallel to the major axis of the digit. In the root of the nail, we found many columnar vessels characterized by multiple angiogenic buttons on their surface...
- Microvascular preconditioning is not detectable by corrosion casting in the isolated perfused rat heart after 30 minutes of ischaemiaA Arangannal
Division of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Scand Cardiovasc J 42:90-5. 2008..We examined the possibility that ischaemic preconditioning might preserve the integrity of the coronary microcirculation following ischaemia and reperfusion...
- Carbon monoxide inhalation protects rat intestinal grafts from ischemia/reperfusion injuryAtsunori Nakao
Thomas E Starzl Transplantation Institute, Departments of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Am J Pathol 163:1587-98. 2003..Perioperative CO inhalation at a low concentration resulted in protection against ischemia/reperfusion injury to intestinal grafts with prolonged cold preservation...
- Intermediary spleen microvasculature in canis familiaris- morphological evidences of a closed and open typeG Alexandre-Pires
Faculdade de Medicina Veterinária Anatomia DEMOC CIISA, Lisboa, Portugal
Anat Histol Embryol 32:263-70. 2003..These findings are contrary to the thesis that defends the existence of a physiologically closed and morphologically open circulation in the dog spleen. Lymphatic vessels in the spleen of the dog are also demonstrated...
- Inhibition of experimental choroidal neovascularization by an anti-growth agent inhibiting vascular endothelial developmentYoko Matsuo
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki University, Nagasaki, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 47:454-8. 2003..To determine whether FR118487, a recently developed angiogenesis inhibitor, affects experimental choroidal neovascularization (CNV) induced by laser photocoagulation in pigmented rats...
- Placental microcirculation of intrauterine growth retarded fetuses: scanning electron microscopy of placental vascular castsCem Baykal
SSK Ankara Maternity Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 270:99-103. 2004..The aim of this study is to investigate the ultra structural difference of placentas in IUGR fetuses that were all found to have abnormal umbilical artery Doppler waveforms...
- Morphological features in human cortical brain microvessels after head injury: a three-dimensional and immunocytochemical studyAlfonso Rodríguez-Baeza
Department of Morphological Sciences, Anatomy and Embryology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 273:583-93. 2003..We suggest that this kind of lesion and the secondary functional injury to the blood-brain barrier (BBB) could play an important role in the development of the secondary lesions that these patients show in the subacute phase...
- Pododermal angiogenesis and angioadaptation in the bovine clawRuth M Hirschberg
Institute of Veterinary Anatomy, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
Microsc Res Tech 66:145-55. 2005..Angiogenic remodeling of the pododermal angioarchitecture was also the connectional reparative principle in pathologically altered claws. Related research perspectives for prophylaxis and therapy of claw diseases are discussed...
- Microvascular growth, development, and remodeling in the embryonic avian kidney: the interplay between sprouting and intussusceptive angiogenic mechanismsAndrew N Makanya
Institute of Anatomy, University of Berne, CH 3000 Berne 9, Switzerland
Microsc Res Tech 66:275-88. 2005....
- Fibrin gel-immobilized VEGF and bFGF efficiently stimulate angiogenesis in the AV loop modelAndreas Arkudas
Department of Plastic and Hand Surgery, University of Erlangen Medical Center, Erlangen, Germany
Mol Med 13:480-7. 2007..The implantation of vascular carriers into given growth factor-loaded matrix volumes may eventually allow efficient generation of axially vascularized, tissue-engineered composites...
- Three-dimensional organization of the hepatic artery terminal branches: a scanning electron microscopic study of vascular corrosion casts of rat liverLuigi Pannarale
Department of Human Anatomy, State University La Sapienza of Rome
Ital J Anat Embryol 112:1-12. 2007..this reason, we have studied the terminal hepatic artery branches in the rat by using special microvascular corrosion casting procedure which makes possible to better follow the hepatic artery terminal branches...
- Age-dependent changes in the pigeon bursa of Fabricius vasculature: a comparative study using light microscopy and scanning electron microscopy of vessel castsFranco Abbate
Department of Morphology, Biochemistry, Physiology and Animal Production, Section of Morphology, University of Messina, Italy
J Anat 211:387-98. 2007..Therefore, the morphology of the vasculature distinctly reflects the functional status of this primary lymphoid organ during its lifespan...
- Angiogenesis in the caprine caruncles in non-pregnant and pregnant normal and swainsonine-treated doesS A Hafez
College of Veterinary Medicine, Alexandria University, Egypt
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 290:761-9. 2007..Swainsonine caused a great distortion to the vasculature at 18 weeks. The effects of this compound on the vascular development lend credibility to its potential as an anticancer agent...
- Microvasculature of the urinary bladder of the dog: a study using vascular corrosion castingFred E Hossler
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, James H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN 37614, USA
Microsc Microanal 13:220-7. 2007..The present study uses vascular corrosion casting and scanning electron microscopy to describe the three-dimensional anatomy of the microvasculature of the ..
- Inflammation-responsive focal constrictors in the mouse ear microcirculationDino J Ravnic
Laboratory of Immunophysiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Anat 209:807-16. 2006..These results suggest that these previously unappreciated inflammation-responsive precapillary constrictors regulate capillary recruitment in the mouse ear microcirculation...
- Structural adaptations in the murine colon microcirculation associated with hapten-induced inflammationDino J Ravnic
Laboratory of Immunophysiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Gut 56:518-23. 2007..Blood flowing across the vascular endothelium creates wall shear stress, dependent on velocity of flow and vessel geometry, that tends to disrupt lymphocyte-endothelial cell adhesion...
- [Prevascularisation strategies in tissue engineering]E Polykandriotis
Abteilung für Plastische und Handchirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen, Erlangen
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 38:217-23. 2006..The ultimate goal of this series of studies is the application of cells onto a prevascularised matrix, with the ambition to enhance cell survival after transplantation in vivo...
- Hierarchical microimaging for multiscale analysis of large vascular networksStefan Heinzer
Institute for Biomedical Engineering, University and ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Neuroimage 32:626-36. 2006..We developed a method based on modified vascular corrosion casting (VCC), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), and desktop and synchrotron radiation microCT (SRmicroCT) ..
- Microvascular adaptation to growth in rat humeral headSergio Morini
Department of Biomedical Researches, University Campus Bio Medico of Rome, Rome, Italy
Anat Embryol (Berl) 211:403-11. 2006..The reported microvascular organization and its adaptation to the epiphyseal growth represent the morphological basis for understanding the reciprocal interaction among the different tissues in developing and adult rat epiphysis...
- [Microvessel visualisation: applications and limitations]T Wolloscheck
Institut fur Anatomie und Zellbiologie, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz
Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 37:408-14. 2005..Static ex vivo modalities still prevail, however, the future will be dominated by intravital high-resolution techniques...
- A new method to make vascular and bronchial casts of voluminous organsD Viggiano
Department of Medicina Pubblica, Clinica e Preventiva Human Anatomy, Second University, via Arena, 5 Loc S Benedetto, 81100 Caserta, Italy
Eur J Morphol 41:161-5. 2003..Therefore, the technique may be useful for macroscopic studies of large specimens, retaining sufficiently fine details...
- The microvasculature of the lateral choroid plexus in the rat: a scanning electron microscopy study of vascular corrosion castsS Sangiorgi
Department of Human Morphology, University of Insubria, Varese, Italy
Eur J Morphol 41:155-60. 2003The three-dimensional microvascular structure of many organs can be adequately investigated only using the corrosion casting technique...
- Microvascular response in the periosteum following mucoperiosteal flap surgery in dogs: angiogenesis and bone resorption and formationTakahiro Nobuto
Department of Periodontology, Osaka Dental University, Osaka, Japan
J Periodontol 76:1346-53. 2005..Thus, we investigated bone remodeling in the healing process after mucoperiosteal flap surgery, focusing our attention on the microcirculation...
- Microvascular response in the periosteum following mucoperiosteal flap surgery in dogs: 3-dimensional observation of an angiogenic processTakahiro Nobuto
Department of Periodontology, Osaka Dental University, Osaka, Japan
J Periodontol 76:1339-45. 2005..To investigate the role of the periosteal vascular plexus in the healing process, we used 3-dimensional (3-D) and ultrastructural monitoring of the angiogenic process after elevation of the mucoperiosteal flap...
- Design of cerebellar and nontegmental rhombencephalic microvascular bed in the sterlet, Acipenser ruthenus: a scanning electron microscope and 3D morphometry study of vascular corrosion castsBernhard Stöttinger
University of Salzburg, Department of Organismic Biology, Blood Vessel and Muscle Research Unit, Hellbrunnerstrasse 34, A 5020 Salzburg, Austria
Microsc Microanal 12:376-89. 2006..Quantitative data are discussed both in respect to methodical pitfalls and the optimality principles possibly underlying the design of vascular bifurcations/mergings in selected brain areas of a nonteleost primitive actinopterygian fish...
- Vessel painting of the microcirculation using fluorescent lipophilic tracersDino J Ravnic
Laboratory of Immunophysiology, Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Surgical Research Laboratories, Harvard Medical School, Room 259, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Microvasc Res 70:90-6. 2005..The utility of vessel painting in morphometry was assessed using morphometric comparisons with corrosion casting and 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional scanning electron microscopy...
- Effects of old age on vascular complexity and dispersion of the hepatic sinusoidal networkAlessandra Warren
Centre for Education and Research on Ageing and the ANZAC Research Institute, Concord RG Hospital and University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Microcirculation 15:191-202. 2008..The objective of this study was to determine whether there are also aging changes in the microvascular architecture and vascular dispersion of the liver that might influence liver function...
- Microvasculature of the human cerebral white matter: arteries of the deep white matterHiroko Nonaka
Department of Pathology, Toho University School of Medicine, Ohta ku, Tokyo, Japan
Neuropathology 23:111-8. 2003..This difference may influence pathological changes in vascular lesions in these respective areas...
- Microvascularisation of the pineal gland in the ratP Hogendorf
Department of Anatomy, Medical University, ul. Narutowicza 60, , Poland
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 60:191-4. 2001..This venous trunk had not been described in literature till now and does not have a name in anatomical nomenclature. The authors showed the relationship of the pineal gland to adjacent venous vessels...
- Vasculature of the ophthalmic rete in night herons (Nycticorax nycticorax): scanning electron microscopy of corrosion castsHiroyoshi Ninomiya
Department of Laboratory Animal Science, Azabu University, 1 17 71 Fuchinobe, Sagamihara 229 8501, Japan
Vet Ophthalmol 5:155-60. 2002....
- Quantitative microvascular corrosion casting by 2D- and 3D-morphometryB Minnich
University of Salzburg, Department of Vascular and Performance Biology, Austria
Ital J Anat Embryol 106:213-20. 2001....
- Vascularization of the brains of the Atlantic and Pacific hagfishes, Myxine glutinosa and Eptatretus stouti: a scanning electron microscope study of vascular corrosion castsStephan Cecon
University of Salzburg, Institute of Zoology, Department of Vascular and Performance Biology, A 5020 Salzburg, Austria
J Morphol 253:51-63. 2002..24 +/- 4.66 degrees in the olfactory bulb. Finally, the branching angles of the venules and veins range from 67.84 +/- 6.83 degrees in the tegmentum of the mesencephalon to 92.30 +/- 6.35 degrees in the optic tectum...
- Choroidal vasculature changes in spontaneously hypertensive rats - transmission electron microscopy and scanning electron microscopy with castsImran Ahmed Bhutto
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan
Ophthalmic Res 34:54-62. 2002..The purpose of the present study was to elucidate the specific morphological changes of the choroidal vasculature in long-term hypertension...
- Corrosion casts and scanning electron microscopy of choroidal vasculature in rats with inherited hypercholesterolemiaI Ahmed Bhutto
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan
Curr Eye Res 23:240-7. 2001..The results of the present study will be useful in the interpretation of the changes seen in hypertensive, diabetic and aged choroids...
- Light and scanning electron microscopic studies of the angioarchitecture of intrinsic muscle fibers of the anterior rat tongueA A Motoyama
Department of Anatomy, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, , , Brazil
J Oral Sci 43:269-75. 2001..The nuclei of endothelial cell cores could be seen on the vessel surfaces. Collagen fibers type I and III were noted in the connective tissue and in the fibrous layer of vessels...
- Functional role and angioarchitectural arrangement of the filiform and fungiform papillae on the medial-dorsal surface of the beagle dog tongueK Ojima
Dental Research Institute. School of Dentistry at Tokyo, The Nippon Dental University, Japan
Ann Anat 183:325-9. 2001....
- Morphostructural changes of the kidney microvasculature during the prenatal period in Bubalus bubalisG Scala
Dipartimento di Strutture, Funzioni e Tecnologie Biologiche, , Italy
Ital J Anat Embryol 106:229-36. 2001..They were sparse and showed a few primordial pores. In addition, they began to make contacts with primordial podocytes. At the stage of 40-60 cm CRT, the renal microcirculation showed a complex and almost completely organized morphology...
- Microvascular architecture of the rat choroid: corrosion cast studyI A Bhutto
Department of Ophthalmology, Nagasaki University School of Medicine, Nagasaki 852-8501, Japan
Anat Rec 264:63-71. 2001....
- A Rho-associated kinase mitigates reperfusion-induced change in the shape of cardiac capillary endothelial cells in situMatthew C P Glyn
William Harvey Research Institute, Biomedical Sciences, Queen Mary, University of London, Mile End Road, London E1 4NS, UK
Cardiovasc Res 57:195-206. 2003..The role of Rho proteins in endothelial cell shape change in situ in the myocardial capillary bed has to date not been investigated...
- Intussusceptive capillary growth is required for glomerular repair in rat Thy-1.1 nephritisMitsuru Notoya
Discovery Research Laboratories, Shionogi and Co, Ltd, Toyonaka, Osaka, Japan
Kidney Int 63:1365-73. 2003..This dramatic event is followed by almost complete recovery of glomerular architecture. However, the precise cellular mechanisms of revascularization are not fully understood...
- Embryonic development of coronary vasculature in rats: corrosion casting studiesAnna Ratajska
Department of Pathological Anatomy, Medical University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol 270:109-16. 2003....
- Blood vascular architecture of the palatine tonsil in the musk shrew (Suncus murinus): scanning electron microscopic study of corrosion castsAkira Doi
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama University Medical School, Okayama, Japan
Anat Sci Int 78:62-7. 2003..These venules were collected into the large vein at the bottom of the tonsil. The blood vascular architecture of the musk shrew tonsil is basically the same as those of other mucosa-associated lymphoid tissues in mammals...
- Microvasculature of the olfactory organ in the Japanese monkey (Macaca fuscata fuscata)Shigenori Okada
Section of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine M C 787, University of Illinois at Chicago, 840 S Wood St, Chicago, IL 60612 7323, USA
Microsc Microanal 8:159-69. 2002..Each region of the olfactory organ had characteristic three-dimensional vascular patterns that were related to their cellular architecture...
- Microvascular response in the periodontal ligament following mucoperiosteal flap surgeryTakahiro Nobuto
Department of Periodontology, Osaka Dental University, Osaka Shi, Osaka, Japan
J Periodontol 74:521-8. 2003..We studied the effect exerted on the PDL vascular plexus during restoration of the circulatory tract...
- Plastic casting of embryonic, placental, and tumor vasculature in the mouseUgur Ozerdem
Cancer Research Center, The Burnham Institute, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Microvasc Res 64:486-90. 2002
- Vascular anatomy of normal and undescended testes: surgical assessment of anastomotic channels between testicular and deferential arteriesBulent Yalcin
Department of Anatomy, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
Urology 66:854-7. 2005..To demonstrate the vascular anatomy of the normal and undescended testes, emphasizing the surgical importance of the anastomotic channels between the testicular and deferential arteries in the undescended testis...
- Maternal and fetal microvasculature in sheep placenta at several stages of gestationShireen A Hafez
Department of Anatomy and Embryology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Alexandria University, Elbehera, Egypt
J Anat 216:292-300. 2010..and fetal microvasculature was studied in ewes at days 50, 90 and 130 of gestation using microvascular corrosion casting and scanning electron microscopy...
- Cardiovascular system of anomuran crabs, genus LopholithodesIain J McGaw
School of Life Sciences, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada 89154 4004, USA
J Morphol 269:1295-307. 2008..Sound king crabs, Lopholithodes mandtii, and brown box crabs, Lopholithodes foraminatus, were mapped using corrosion casting techniques. Both species have a similar external morphology and a very similar cardiovascular system...
- The spatial arrangement of the human large intestinal wall blood circulationDavid Kachlik
Third Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, Ruská, Praha, Czech Republic
J Anat 216:335-43. 2010..Samples were then injected with India ink or methylmetacrylate Mercox resin for microdissection and corrosion casting for scanning electron microscopy...
- Comparative morphology of the hemolymph vascular system in krill (Euphausiacea; Crustacea)Katarina Huckstorf
Allgemeine and Spezielle Zoologie, Institut für Biowissenschaften, Universitat Rostock, Universitatsplatz 2, Rostock, Germany
Arthropod Struct Dev 40:39-53. 2011..of three euphausiacean species based on semi-thin sections and micro computer tomography in combination with corrosion casting. We were also able to study for the first time representatives of Bentheuphausia amblyops, the suggested ..
- Angioarchitecture of the venous and capillary system in heart defects induced by retinoic acid in miceAnna Ratajska
Department of Pathological Anatomy, Medical University of Warsaw, Chałubińskiego 5, Warsaw 02 004, Poland
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:599-610. 2009b>Corrosion casting and immunohistochemical staining with anti-alpha smooth muscle actin and anti-CD34 was utilized to demonstrate the capillary plexus and venous system in control and malformed mouse hearts.
- Cardiovascular system of the Majidae (Crustacea: Decapoda)Iain J McGaw
Ocean Sciences Centre, Memorial University, St John s, NL, Canada
Arthropod Struct Dev 39:340-9. 2010The cardiovascular system of majid crabs was mapped using corrosion casting techniques...
- Angiogenesis and vascular network of teratocarcinoma from embryonic stem cell transplant into seminiferous tubulesU Silvan
Laboratory of Stem Cells, Development and Cancer, Department of Cell Biology and Histology, Leioa, Vizcaya, Spain
Br J Cancer 101:64-70. 2009..Moreover, a satisfactory animal model for the experimental study of germinal tumours has not been developed to date...
- The cutaneous microvascular architecture of human diabetic toe studied by corrosion casting and scanning electron microscopy analysisS Sangiorgi
Department of Surgery, Neurosurgical Unit, University of Insubria, Varese, Italy
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 293:1639-45. 2010..We applied corrosion casting (CC) technique to the toes of a patient affected by Type 2 diabetes, who underwent surgery for explantation ..
- 3D microvascular architecture of pre-cancerous lesions and invasive carcinomas of the colonM A Konerding
Department of Anatomy, , Germany
Br J Cancer 84:1354-62. 2001..network of normal colon mucosa, adenomas and invasive carcinomas by means of quantitative microvascular corrosion casting. Fresh hemicolectomy specimens from 20 patients undergoing cancer or polyposis coli surgery were used for ..
- The three-dimensional microvascular architecture of the human Kaposi sarcoma implanted in nude mice: a SEM corrosion casting studyS Sangiorgi
Department of Surgery, Neurosurgical Unit, University of Insubria, Viale Borri 57, 21100 Varese, Italy
Microvasc Res 72:128-35. 2006..We used a corrosion casting technique applied to nude mice previously transplanted subcutaneously with human modified neoplastic Kaposi ..
- Cerebral vascular abnormalities in a murine model of hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasiaJunichiro Satomi
Cancer and Blood Research Program, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X8 Canada
Stroke 34:783-9. 2003..To understand the etiology of this disorder, we evaluated the cerebral vasculature of endoglin heterozygous (Eng+/-) mice, which represent the only animal model of HHT1...
- A corrosion casting/scanning electron microscope method that simultaneously demonstrates clear outlines of endothelial cells and three-dimensional vascular organizationO Ohtani
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Japan
Arch Histol Cytol 63:425-9. 2000....
- Effects of thrombin and of the phospholipase C inhibitor, D609, on the vascularity of the chick chorioallantoic membraneC Dimitropoulou
Department of Anatomy, University of Mainz, D 55099 Mainz, Germany
Gen Pharmacol 35:241-7. 2000Microvascular corrosion casting was used to assess the effects of thrombin and D609, a phospholipase C inhibitor, on the vascularity of the chick embryo chorioallantoic membrane (CAM)...
- Electron microscopy of cultured angiogenic endothelial cellsRuth M Hirschberg
Institute of Veterinary Anatomy, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Freie Universitat Berlin, Germany
Microsc Res Tech 67:248-59. 2005..modified processing techniques for both transmission and scanning electron microscopy including micro-corrosion casting of cultured cells were established...
- The vascular anatomy of the rat superficial epigastric flap by vascular corrosion casting and technical refinement for the study of choke vessels in cadaveric flap modelsStefano Cotrufo
Canniesburn Plastic Surgery Unit, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Ann Plast Surg 64:93-7. 2010..Nor has endothelial visualization been facilitated. Vascular corrosion casting techniques are promising in that regard, and were applied in an extended lateral thoracoabdominal ..
- Predicting response to radioimmunotherapy from the tumor microenvironment of colorectal carcinomasEthaar El Emir
Department of Oncology, University College London Hampstead Campus, London, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 67:11896-905. 2007..Three-dimensional microvascular corrosion casting and transmission electron microscopy showed further structural differences between xenografts...
- Human saphenous vein coronary artery bypass graft morphology, geometry and hemodynamicsRichard L Leask
Department of Chemical Engineering, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Ann Biomed Eng 33:301-9. 2005..The geometry of six saphenous vein CABGs was replicated by post-mortem infusion of Batson's #17 anatomical corrosion casting compound...
- Vascular system of human fetal pancreas demonstrated by corrosion casting and scanning electron microscopyJanusz Gorczyca
Department of Anatomy, Jagiellonian University Medical College, Krakow, Poland
Anat Sci Int 85:235-40. 2010Vascular architecture of the human pancreas was investigated by corrosion casting combined with scanning electron microscopy in fetuses aged 20 and 25 gestational weeks...
- Bridging mucosal vessels associated with rhythmically oscillating blood flow in murine colitisAslihan Turhan
Laboratory of Immunophysiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 291:74-82. 2008..b>Corrosion casting and scanning electron microscopy of the mouse colon demonstrated highly branched bridging vessels that ..
- Anterior segment vascular castingJ M Olver
Institute of Ophthalmology, London
Eye (Lond) 3:302-7. 1989Vascular corrosion casting provides a permanent three-dimensional record of the deeper vasculature of the anterior segment whereas fluorescein angiography allows clinical examination of superficial vessels...
- Advances in imaging the blood and aqueous vessels of the ocular limbusE L van der Merwe
Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Anzio Road, Observatory, 7925 Cape Town, South Africa
Exp Eye Res 91:118-26. 2010..an analysis of serial histological sectioning, ultrathin sections, microvascular perfusion with plastics and corrosion casting, X-ray microcomputed tomography, in vivo imaging including analysis of transgenic mice expressing GFP-..
- Portosystemic shunting and persistent fetal vascular structures in aryl hydrocarbon receptor-deficient miceG P Lahvis
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:10442-7. 2000..microscopy demonstrated an immature sinusoidal architecture in the liver and persistent hyaloid arteries in the eyes of adult Ah null mice, whereas corrosion casting experiments described aberrations in kidney vascular patterns.
- Tensile forces stimulate vascular remodeling and epidermal cell proliferation in living skinGiorgio Pietramaggiori
Tissue Engineering and Wound Healing Laboratory, Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Surg 246:896-902. 2007..To quantify tissue remodeling induced by static and cyclical application of tensional forces in a living perfused tissue...
- Construction and clinical significance of normal uterine arterial vascular network modelsChunlin Chen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Nan Fang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, PR China
Gynecol Obstet Invest 69:14-9. 2010To construct in vitro models of normal uterine arterial vascular network through vascular corrosion casting and explore their characteristics and clinical significances.
- Rapid three-dimensional quantification of VEGF-induced scaffold neovascularisation by microcomputed tomographyChristian Schmidt
Cardiovascular Research Unit, University of Cape Town, South Africa
Biomaterials 30:5959-68. 2009..immunohistochemistry, vascular perfusion by intravital Lycopersicon esculentum lectin perfusion and vascular corrosion casting. Micro-CT scanning found a similar level of vascularisation within the VEGF treated scaffolds to that ..
- Microvascular corrosion casting of normal tissue, transitional mucosa and adenocarcinoma in the human colonX F Sun
Department of Oncology, University Hospital, , Sweden
Acta Oncol 31:37-40. 1992..normal tissue, transitional mucosa and adenocarcinoma of the human colon was investigated with microvascular corrosion casting (MVCC) combined with scanning electron microscopy (SEM)...
- The decapod crustacean circulatory system: a case that is neither open nor closedIain J McGaw
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV 89154, USA
Microsc Microanal 11:18-36. 2005..b>Corrosion casting techniques were refined and used to map the circulatory system of a variety of crab species (order: Decapoda;..
- Quantitation of microcomputed tomography-imaged ocular microvasculatureRobert C Atwood
Department of Materials, Imperial College London, London, UK
Microcirculation 17:59-68. 2010..To quantitatively assess microvascular dimensions in the eyes of neonatal wild-type and VEGF(120)-tg mice, using a novel combination of techniques which permit three-dimensional (3D) image reconstruction...
- The VEGF receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, ZD6474, inhibits angiogenesis and affects microvascular architecture within an orthotopically implanted renal cell carcinomaJ Drevs
Department of Medical Oncology, Clinical Angiogenesis Research, Tumor Biology Center, Albert Ludwig University, Freiburg, Germany
Angiogenesis 7:347-54. 2004..study, animals were treated according to the same regimen and quantitative three-dimensional microvascular corrosion casting was performed to enable detailed assessment of the tumor vascular architecture...
- Searching for the right timing of surgical delay: angiogenesis, vascular endothelial growth factor and perfusion changes in a skin-flap modelThomas Holzbach
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Technische Universitat Munchen, Klinikum r d Isar, Munich, Germany
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 62:1534-42. 2009..In this study we focused on the chronological changes in VEGF concentration and flap perfusion in order to optimise the duration of surgical delay...
- Novel three-dimensional analysis tool for vascular trees indicates complete micro-networks, not single capillaries, as the angiogenic endpoint in mice overexpressing human VEGF(165) in the brainStefan Heinzer
Institute for Biomedical Engineering, University and ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Neuroimage 39:1549-58. 2008..Here we used vascular corrosion casting and hierarchical micro-computed tomography combined with a new network analysis tool to characterize the ..
- UVEAL VASCULATURE: OPTIC NERVE MICROCIRCULATIONGeorge Cioffi; Fiscal Year: 2003..Previously, the PI has detailed the microvascular anatomy (methylmethacrylate corrosion casting) of the anterior optic nerve of non-primate mammals, non-human primates and humans...
- UVEAL VASCULATURE--OPTIC NERVE MICROCIRCULATIONGeorge Cioffi; Fiscal Year: 1999..Previously, the PI has detailed the microvascular anatomy (methylmethacrylate corrosion casting) of the anterior optic nerve of non-primate mammals, non-human primates and humans...
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..b>Corrosion casting and 3-dimensional scanning electron microscopy will be used to visualize and quantify the structural ..
- Sample prep methods to allow automated 3D analysis of microvessel morphologyRick Rogers; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, one of the principal techniques allowing the collection of 3D quantitative vascular data, corrosion casting, destroys surrounding tissue, eliminating the possibility of simultaneous probing for molecules of interest...
- Adult Tissue Morphogenesis: Functinoal Regulation of Intussusceptive AntiogenesisSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2009..Demonstrated by corrosion casting and 3-dimensional scanning electron microscopy (SEM), the pillars form within 7 days after chemical exposure...
- Adult Tissue Morphogenesis: Functinoal Regulation of Intussusceptive AntiogenesisSteven J Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2010..Demonstrated by corrosion casting and 3-dimensional scanning electron microscopy (SEM), the pillars form within 7 days after chemical exposure...
- Vascular Adaptations in Lymphocyte TransmigrationDino Ravnic; Fiscal Year: 2005..The third aim will focus on the use of 3D tissue sections and corrosion casting/scanning electron microscopy to make detailed observations of the inflammatory microcirculation...
- ORAL CYCLOPHOSPHAMIDE VS ORAL PLACEBO IN SSC ALVEOLITISDean Schraufnagel; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Flow regulation and oxygen transport in microcirculationTIMOTHY SECOMB; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will be facilitated by the investigator's longstanding and close collaboration with experimental physiologists. ..
- Blood flow and structural adaptation in microcirculationTIMOTHY SECOMB; Fiscal Year: 2005..This will be facilitated by well-established and active collaborations with experimental physiologists. ..
- ALCOHOL, ACETAMINOPHEN, AND LIVER SINUSOID DYSFUNCTIONROBERT MC CUSKEY; Fiscal Year: 2004..A better knowledge of the hepatic pathophysiology of alcohol bringing also should result. ..
- Flow regulation and oxygen transport in microcirculationTimothy W Secomb; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Blood flow and structural adaptation in microcirculationTIMOTHY SECOMB; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will be facilitated by well-established and active collaborations with experimental physiologists. ..
- Aging and Hepatic Microvascular DysfunctionRobert McCuskey; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results should provide novel, new information about the aging liver. ..
- Flow regulation and Oxygen transpot in microcirculationTIMOTHY SECOMB; Fiscal Year: 2007..Predictions will be compared with experimentally measured distributions in the same vascular networks. ..
- Development of SAMMA based vaginal microbiocideMichael Oldham; Fiscal Year: 2006..3. EFFICACY. The new formulations will also be evaluated for activity against sperm, chlamydia and HSV utilizing in vitro assays and the mouse model. ..
- Flow regulation and Oxygen transpot in microcirculationTIMOTHY SECOMB; Fiscal Year: 2009..Predictions will be compared with experimentally measured distributions in the same vascular networks. ..
- Blood flow and structural adaptation in microcirculationTimothy W Secomb; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will be facilitated by well-established and active collaborations with experimental physiologists. ..
- MICROVASCULAR BLOOD RHEOLOGY & RED BLOOD CELL MECHANICSTIMOTHY SECOMB; Fiscal Year: 1992..Particular emphasis will be given to comparisons between model predictions and corresponding experimental observations, taking advantage of well- established consultative and collaborative arrangements with experimental hemorheologists...
- MICROVASCULAR BLOOD RHEOLOGY & RED BLOOD CELL MECHANICSTIMOTHY SECOMB; Fiscal Year: 1993..Thus, impaired flow in some diseases may result principally from the cells' reduced ability to traverse non-uniform pathways. The proposed research will provide quantitative predictions about these aspects of microvascular blood flow...
- Progestogen Inhibition of Ovarian Cancer Cell MetastasisWilliam Murdoch; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MICROVASCULAR BLOOD RHEOLOGY & RED BLOOD CELL MECHANICSTIMOTHY SECOMB; Fiscal Year: 2001..This will be facilitated by well-established and active collaborations with experimental hemorheologists and physiologists. ..