Genomes and Genes
periodic acid schiff reaction
Summary: A histochemical technique for staining carbohydrates. It is based on PERIODIC ACID oxidation of a substance containing adjacent hydroxyl groups. The resulting aldehydes react with Schiff reagent to form a colored product.
Publications202 found, 100 shown here
- A histopathological and lectin-histochemical study of the lining epithelium in postoperative maxillary cystsM Maruyama
Department of Oral Medicine and Bioregulation, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Oral Dis 8:241-8. 2002..Histopathological and lectin-histochemical characteristics were studied in the lining epithelium of postoperative maxillary cysts (POMC)...
- Effects of tear substitutes on conjunctival epithelium of micePasquale Aragona
Department of Surgical Specialties, Section of Ophthalmology, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico G Martino, Messina, Italy
Ophthalmic Res 39:265-75. 2007..The effects of the administration of three tear substitutes on normal conjunctival epithelium of the mouse, with particular regard to goblet cells, were studied...
- Paraganglioma of the vagina: report of a caseHermann Brustmann
Department of Pathology, Thermenklinikum, Sr Maria Restitutagasse 12, A 2340 Moedling Vienna, Austria
Pathol Res Pract 203:189-92. 2007..This case study reports on an endocrinologically inactive vaginal paraganglioma, emphasizing the morphological and immunohistochemical differential diagnoses...
- Ras protein expression and autophagic tumor cell death in neuroblastomaChifumi Kitanaka
Am J Surg Pathol 31:153-5; author reply 155-7. 2007
- Perivascular epithelioid cell tumor of the oral mucosaIoannis G Koutlas
Division of Oral Pathology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:690-3. 2005..Ultrastructural examination revealed stage I melanosomes, thin filaments, and dense plaques. Recurrence has not been reported after 20 months. To our knowledge, this is the first detailed description of an intraoral PEComa...
- Pleomorphic lobular carcinoma in situ of the breast composed almost entirely of signet ring cellsOluwole Fadare
Department of Pathology, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Texas 78236, USA
Pathol Int 56:683-7. 2006..It is concluded that this is an example of a purely signet ring variant of pleomorphic LCIS...
- Conjunctival changes induced by LASIK suction ring in a rabbit modelSun Young Shin
Department of Ophthalmology, Hanyang University Guri Hospital, College of Medicine, Hanyang University, Guri City, Gyunggi Do, Korea
Ophthalmic Res 38:343-9. 2006..To study histopathological changes in rabbit conjunctiva after suction ring application...
- Solid papillary carcinoma of the breast: report of two casesC Kanbayashi
Department of Surgery, Mito Saiseikai General Hospital, Ibaraki, Japan
Ultrastruct Pathol 25:147-52. 2001..Case 2 showed a solitary and compact form in a dilated duct and an interlacing bundle pattern...
- Correlation between Alcian blue-periodic acid-Schiff stain and immunohistochemical expression of mucin 2 in Barrett's oesophagusC V Lopes
Histopathology 45:198-9. 2004
- Differential detection of PAS-positive inclusions formed by the Z, Siiyama, and Mmalton variants of alpha1-antitrypsinSabina Janciauskiene
Department of Medicine, University Hospital Malmo, Malmo, Sweden
Hepatology 40:1203-10. 2004..In conclusion, the ATZ11 monoclonal antibody detects Z alpha(1)-antitrypsin in hepatic inclusions by detecting a neoepitope that is specific to the polymeric conformer and that is localized close to residue 342...
- Histochemical and immunohistochemical characterization of canine mammary mucinous carcinomaB Brunetti
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica Veterinaria e Patologia Animale, Alma Mater Studiorum Universita di Bologna, Via Tolara di Sopra 50, Ozzano Emilia, 40064 Bologna, Italy
J Comp Pathol 129:131-6. 2003..5 and 1.0, and mucicarmine positivity...
- Neuroendocrine differentiation of periodic-acid Schiff and Alcian blue-negative signet-ring cell-like cells and tubular adenocarcinoma cells within a gastric cancerA Sugihara
Dept of Pathology, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Hyogo, Japan
Scand J Gastroenterol 39:795-800. 2004..The present case is a gastric tubular adenocarcinoma with Muc 1-positive, neutral- and acid mucin-negative signet-ring cell-like cells, which is associated with neuroendocrine differentiation...
- Expression of mucin-2 and correlation with PAS-alcian blue stain in Barrett's esophagusCesar V Lopes
Departmens of Gastroenterology, Porto Alegre School of Medical Sciences FFFCMPA Santa Casa Hospital, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Hepatogastroenterology 53:511-5. 2006..We investigated whether Mucin-2 is a good substitute for PAS-alcian blue in the detection of goblet cells...
- Fine needle cytology of endometriosis: experience with 10 casesFranco Fulciniti
Cytopathology Service, Department of Pathology, University Federico II, Naples, Italy
Acta Cytol 49:495-9. 2005....
- Development of polyglucosan inclusions in skeletal muscleBeth A Valentine
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University, 30th and Washington Way, Corvallis OR 97331, USA
Neuromuscul Disord 16:603-7. 2006..Based on morphologic findings and pattern of ubiquitin staining, a sequence of events, beginning with abnormal glycogen storage followed by ubiquitination and eventual development of amylase resistance, is proposed...
- Ocular surface and MUC5AC alterations in atopic patients with corneal shield ulcersMurat Dogru
Department of Ophthalmology, Keio University School of Medicine, Shinanomachi, Tokyo
Curr Eye Res 30:897-908. 2005..To describe MUC5AC alterations and the ocular surface disorder in atopic patients with or without corneal ulcers...
- Melanoma of the soft parts: diagnosis of metastatic and recurrent tumors by aspiration cytologyNeeta Kumar
Department of Pathology, Cytopathology Unit, Maulana Azad Medical College, LN Hospital, New Delhi, India
Diagn Cytopathol 28:295-300. 2003....
- [Unusual vulvar nodule]Annie Buenerd
Laboratoire d anatomie et de cytologie pathologiques, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Batiment 10, 5 Place d Arsonval, 69437 Lyon Cedex 03
Ann Pathol 25:409-11. 2005
- IL-9 and IL-13 induce mucous cell metaplasia that is reduced by IFN-gamma in a Bax-mediated pathwayJialing Xiang
Department of Biological, Chemical, and Physical Sciences, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 38:310-7. 2008..These studies show that allergen-induced MCM is a response to a combination of various cytokines at defined concentrations and that IFN-gamma requires Bax for the resolution of MCM...
- Endometrial and endocervical secretion: the search for histochemical differentiationLauren Nieuwenhuizen
Department of Pathology, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Kubang Kerian, Malaysia
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 28:87-96. 2006..To determine the ideal histochemical stain to differentiate between non-neoplastic and neoplastic endocervix and endometrium...
- Foamy macrophages in pylorocardiac gastric carcinoma: a source of confusion with signet ring cell carcinomaJ B M Laforga
Histopathology 43:98-100. 2003
- A case of pulmonary cryptococcosis in a free-living toad (Bufo bufo)Fernanda Seixas
Laboratório de Histologia e Anatomia Patológica, Clínicas Veterinárias, Universidade de Tras os Montes e Alto Douro, 5001 801 Vila Real, Portugal
J Wildl Dis 44:460-3. 2008..neoformans-specific primer. This report, to the best of our knowledge, represents the first case of cryptococcosis in a common toad...
- The development of the digestive tract in larval European catfish (Silurus glanis L.)Z Kozaric
Department of Anatomy, Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zagreb, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Anat Histol Embryol 37:141-6. 2008..Development of liver and pancreas was also studied. The analysis of data obtained in this study suggests that after 5-DPH catfish larvae have morphologically completed digestive tracts...
- Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia with giant intracytoplasmic inclusion--a case reportS Sharma
Department of Pathology, Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 44:157-8. 2001..This case is being presented for its unusual occurrence and to recognise the characteristics of this subtype of ALL to avoid a misdiagnosis of AML (Acute Myeloid Leukaemia)...
- Cytologic features of chordoid meningioma. A case reportHatsumi Inagawa
Department of Pathology, Saitama Medical School, Morohongo 38, Moroyama, Irumagun, Saitama, 350 0495, Japan
Acta Cytol 48:397-401. 2004..Chordoid meningioma is a rare subtype of meningioma characterized by myxoid matrices deposited among epithelioid or vacuolated tumor cells and infiltrates of inflammatory cells, and its cytologic features have rarely been reported...
- Hepatoid carcinoma of the uterus that collided with carcinosarcomaYoshihisa Takahashi
Department of Pathology, Tokyo University Hospital, Japan
Pathol Int 53:323-6. 2003..When no lesion is detected in the liver and stomach of a patient whose serum AFP level is abnormally high, the female reproductive system, such as the ovaries and uterus, should be examined as a possible site of AFP-producing cancer...
- Clear cell carcinoma arising from pleomorphic adenoma of a minor salivary gland: Report of a case with fine needle aspiration, histologic and immunohistochemical findingsShahrzad Negahban
Department of Pathology, Dr Daneshbod Pathology Laboratory, Shiraz, Iran
Acta Cytol 50:687-90. 2006..Only 3 cases of clear cell carcinoma arising in PA have been reported, 2 in submandibular glands and 1 in a minor salivary gland of the palate...
- A 96-year-old woman with a tumorous lesion of the right breast. Invasive papillary breast carcinoma of solid variantAphrodite Nonni
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:e128-9. 2005
- Modified Kluver-Barrera staining for the study and diagnosis of fetal encephalopathiesMarco Mora
Department of Pathology, University of Genoa
Ital J Anat Embryol 112:111-6. 2007..A double PAS-cresyl violet staining was developed on theses cases, using Kluver-Barrera staining as a basis: cresyl violet was employed to highlight neurons, and luxol fast blue for myelin was replaced with a PAS staining for glycogen...
- Cytological analysis of glycogen-rich carcinoma of the breast: report of two casesNobuo Satake
Department of Molecular and Environmental Pathology, The University of Tokushima School of Medicine, Japan
J Med Invest 49:193-6. 2002..Glycogen-rich carcinoma is a rare special histologic subtype of breast cancer and its incidence is estimated to be 1.4% in breast malignancies. However, its precise characteristics in cytological specimens have not yet been fully clarified...
- In situ ablation of lens epithelial cells in porcine eyes with the laser photolysis systemMatthias Pollhammer
Department of Ophthalmology, Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 33:697-701. 2007..To evaluate the efficacy of the laser photolysis system (LPS) (A.R.C. Laser GmbH) in removing lens epithelial cells (LECs) to prevent posterior capsule opacification (PCO) in an in situ model...
- Clear cell "sugar" tumour of the lung: a case reportM S Shiran
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 UPM Serdang, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Malays J Pathol 28:113-6. 2006..Tumour immunoreactivity for HMB-45 and non-reactivity for cytokeratin support the histological diagnosis. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of CCTL in Malaysia...
- Vulvar poroid hidradenomaSalem O Alowami
Am J Dermatopathol 24:523-5. 2002
- Inflammatory pseudotumor of the parotid gland: report of a case with fine needle aspiration cytologySiavash Rahimi
Histopathology Service, Ospedale San Carlo Istituto Dermopatico dell Immacolata Sanità, Rome, Italy
Acta Cytol 48:574-6. 2004..To the best of our knowledge, fine needle aspiration cytologic findings in parotid inflammatory pseudotumor have not been reported previously...
- The sensitivity and specificity of "caterpillar bodies" in the differential diagnosis of subepidermal blistering disordersMaxwell A Fung
Department of Dermatology, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, USA
Am J Dermatopathol 25:287-90. 2003..Caterpillar body-like clusters are less specific and may be present in porphyria cutanea tarda, erythropoietic protoporphyria, pseudoporphyria, bullous pemphigoid, epidermolysis bullosa, and epidermolysis bullosa acquisita...
- Spontaneous subcutaneous myxosarcoma in a captive European hedgehog (Erinsceus europaeus)Kuldeep Singh
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 74078, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 18:627-31. 2006..Evidence of a viral etiology was not detected using electron microscopy and polymerase chain reaction. This is the first case report of a myxosarcoma in a captive European hedgehog...
- Odontogenic myxoma containing osteocement-like spheroid bodies: report of a case with an unusual histopathological featureT Oygur
Department of Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
J Oral Pathol Med 30:504-6. 2001..This report describes a case of odontogenic myxoma that shows diffusely dispersed osteocement-like spherular calcified bodies, unlike residual bone trabeculae, and discusses its differential diagnosis...
- Changes in hormone sensitivity in the ventral prostate of aging Sprague-Dawley ratsColm Morrissey
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA
J Androl 23:341-51. 2002..These changes are accompanied by changes in lipofuscin accumulation and levels of the antioxidant enzymes catalase and manganese (Mn) superoxide dismutase in the gland...
- [Studies on expression and location of VEGF protein in rat testis and epididymis]Qiu Yang Zhang
Department of Histology and Embryology, Research Center of Reproductive Medicine, Medical College, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710061, China
Shi Yan Sheng Wu Xue Bao 37:1-8. 2004..VEGF may also be related to the sperm maturation in the epididymis...
- Demonstration of epithelial-mesenchymal transition in kidney. The contribution of a coupled histochemical and immunohistochemical staining with Periodic Acid-thionin SchiffMaria Carmen Lopes Ferreira Silva Santos
Federal University of Espirito Santo School of Medicine, Santo, Brazil
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 16:191-5. 2008..This method was easy to perform and useful to demonstrate the TBM, yield a clear demonstration of the very focal TBM disruption found in this model of progressive renal fibrosis...
- Subtle intracorneal findings in inflammatory disorders: hyphae or notSarolta K Szabo
J Cutan Pathol 33:462. 2006
- The diagnostic value and cost effectiveness of routine fungal stains in a dermatopathology service of a district general hospitalJ K Murphy
Department of Pathology, West Wales General Hospital, Carmarthenshire NHS Trust, Carmarthen SA31 2A, UK
J Clin Pathol 57:139-40. 2004..To evaluate the use and effectiveness of fungal stains in a dermatopathology service of a district general hospital...
- Spermatogenesis in the cynomolgus monkey (Macaca fascicularis): a practical guide for routine morphological stagingHenriette C Dreef
Department of Toxicology and Drug Disposition, Organon, 5340 BH, Oss, The Netherlands
Toxicol Pathol 35:395-404. 2007..Since the morphological features of the testes of such monkeys can be mistaken for treatment-related abnormalities, the morphologic characteristics of these testes are described and discussed briefly...
- Effect of hCG on the morphology of rat epididymal epithelial cells in vitroMałgorzata Swider-Al-Amawi
Department of Histology and Embryology, Pomeranian Medical University, Szczecin, Poland
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 62:489-91. 2003..This was the first sign that the morphology of the cells can be influenced by hCG...
- Morphologic characterization of spontaneous nervous system tumors in mice and ratsG J Krinke
Toxicology Department, Novartis Crop Protection AG, Stein, Switzerland
Toxicol Pathol 28:178-92. 2000....
- Ultrastructure and histochemical study of glycoconjugates in the gills of the white croaker (Micropogonias furnieri)A O Diaz
Departamento de Biologia, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad Nacional de Mar del Plata, Funes 3250, 3er Piso 7600 Mar del Plata, Argentina
Anat Histol Embryol 34:117-22. 2005..substituted sialic acid were detected by means of periodic acid-borohydride reduction-saponification-periodic acid Schiff reaction (PA/Bh/KOH/PAS), saponification-selective periodic acid Schiff reaction (KOH/PA*S) and saponification-..
- [Influence of different gelatin concentration and lymphocyte isolation liquid on primary culture of umbilical cord blood derived adhesive cells]Cheng Zhang
Department of Hematology, Xinqiao Hospital, The Third Military Medical University, Chongqing 400037, China
Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi 16:1437-41. 2008..Cytochemistry stain for nonspecific esterase stain (NSE), peroxidase (POX), periodic acid Schiff reaction (PAS) and alkali phosphatase (ALP) and immunocytochemistry labeling for CD31, CD45, CD68 and ..
- [Expressions of PDCD5 and other apoptosis-related proteins in muscle of patients with mitochondrial cytopathy]Yong fie Li
Department of Neurology, First Hospital, Peking University, Beijing, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 89:1593-6. 2009....
- Increase in final stages of follicular atresia and premature decay of corpora lutea in Insl3-deficient miceK Spanel-Borowski
Institute of Anatomy, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Mol Reprod Dev 58:281-6. 2001..Sections were stained with periodic acid Schiff reaction (PAS) for counting the number of zonae pellucidae which indicated the final stages of follicular ..
- Interferon gamma production by PAS-positive T lymphocytes of chagasic patients infiltrated into human hearts in the sites of lesionsHumberto R A Cabral
Instituto de Biologia Celular, Facultad de Ciencias Medicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Cludad Universitaria 5000 Córdoba Argentina
Rev Fac Cien Med Univ Nac Cordoba 63:47-52. 2006..Further, we found such lymphocytes infiltrated in the chagasic heart. Here, we considered our hypothesis that those lymphocytes would be Interferon -gamma producer' cells...
- [Expression of integrin-linked kinase in oral leukoplakia and early invasive carcinoma]Zhu Ling Guo
Department of Oral Pathology, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Beijing 100081, China
Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi 45:163-7. 2010..To investigate the transmutation and significance of integrin-linked kinase (ILK) in oral leukoplakia and early invasive squamous cell carcinoma...
- Immunohistochemical and ultrastructural characterization of the signet-ring cell carcinoma component in a case of urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladderYuji Ohtsuki
Division of Pathology, Matsuyama Shimin Hospital, Matsuyama, Ehime, 790 0067, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 43:96-101. 2010..Because UC associated with a sig component carries a worse prognosis than ordinary UC, the presence of the sig component in any UC should be evaluated even within TUR-BT tissues, as in the present case...
- Rhamnus cathartica (buckthorn) hepatocellular toxicity in miceC A Lichtensteiger
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign 61802, USA
Toxicol Pathol 25:449-52. 1997..Mechanistic and chronicity studies with R. cathartica are needed to investigate the pathophysiology of the glycogen disturbance and to determine if hepatic injury progresses and if other organs will be injured...
- Homogeneous production of feline interferon in silkworm by replacing single amino acid code in signal peptide region in recombinant baculovirus and characterization of the productY Ueda
Basic Research Laboratories, Toray Industries, Inc, Kanagawa, Japan
J Vet Med Sci 55:251-8. 1993..Positive periodic acid Schiff reaction, undetectability of Asn at position 79 by automated protein sequencer, and detectability of N-..
- Colloid in the anterior pituitary of helmet guinea fowl (Numida meleagris galeata): morphometric analysis and pattern of occurrence in relation to apoptosisClaudius Luziga
Department of Veterinary Anatomy, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania
Vet Res Commun 33:681-91. 2009..The occurrence of extremely large number of colloids in relation to apoptotic profiles in anterior pituitary of helmet guinea fowl is discussed...
- Epididymal phenotype in luteinizing hormone receptor knockout animals and its response to testosterone replacement therapyZ M Lei
Division of Research, Department of Ob, Gyn, and Women s Health, University of Louisville Health Sciences Center, Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA
Biol Reprod 68:888-95. 2003..In summary, while our results reaffirm that androgens are important for normal epididymal morphology and function, they indicate that LH could be required for certain facets of epididymal morphology and/or function...
- Epi-LASIK using the Amadeus II microkeratome: evaluation of cut quality using light and electron microscopyAris Kollias
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 33:2118-21. 2007..To investigate the cut quality and surface characteristics of the epithelial flap and underlying Bowman's membrane created by the Amadeus II (AMO) microkeratome on human corneas using light and electron microscopy...
- Temporal and spatial expression of matrix metalloproteinases during wound healing of human corneal tissueJulie T Daniels
Epithelial Repair and Regeneration Group, Wound Healing Research Unit, Division of Pathology, Institute of Ophthalmology, Bath Street, London EC1V 9EL, UK
Exp Eye Res 77:653-64. 2003..This study demonstrates matrix metalloproteinase expression in epithelial and fibroblast-like cells following wounding of human corneal tissue in culture where the cells remain in contact with their natural matrices...
- Eosinophilic substance is "not amyloid" in the mouse nasal septumT Doi
Mitsubishi Chemical Safety Institute Ltd, Sunayama 14, Kamisu shi, Ibaraki, 314 0255 Japan
Vet Pathol 44:796-802. 2007..The above-mentioned findings indicated that the ES was not amyloid and suggested the ES might consist of not only collagen but also complex carbohydrate, which was produced by the nasal gland epithelial cells...
- Nucleus pulposus regeneration after chemonucleolysis with chymopapain?S Patt
Department of Neurosurgery, Klinikum Steglitz, Free University of Berlin, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:227-31. 1993..01) stronger after short time intervals between chemonucleolysis and surgery than after long intervals. These findings may be interpreted as indicating a regenerative potential of the nucleus pulposus...
- A salivary malignant myoepithelioma in a dogA M Faustino
ICBAS, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas de Abel Salazar, Universidade do Porto Largo Prof Abel Salazar, No 2, 4099 003 Porto, Portugal
Vet J 173:223-6. 2007..On the basis of the morphological, histochemical and immunohistochemical findings a diagnosis of malignant tumour of myoepithelial origin (malignant myoepithelioma) was made...
- Existence of functional lingual antimicrobial peptide in bovine milkN Isobe
Graduate School of Biosphere Science, Hiroshima University, Higashi Hiroshima, 739 8528 Japan
J Dairy Sci 92:2691-5. 2009..coli (cfu/control = 0.17 +/- 0.18). These results suggest that bovine milk contains functional LAP-like substances that exert antimicrobial activity...
- Epithelial splenic cysts in an intrapancreatic accessory spleen and spleenS Sasou
Division of Pathology, Central Clinical Laboratory, School of Medicine, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
Pathol Int 49:1078-83. 1999..These features suggested that the two cysts differ in nature, and origin; the accessory spleen cyst may be an embryonic inclusion of the pancreas duct while the spleen cyst may be an inclusion cyst of the mesothelium...
- A cell-block preparation using glucomannan extracted from Amorphophallus konjacChiyuki Kaneko
Department of Cytopathology, Fujita Health University School of Health Sciences, Toyoake, Aichi, Japan
Diagn Cytopathol 38:652-6. 2010..We found that the method was easy to perform and thought it could be useful as an alternative technique for cell-block preparations. Thus, this novel technique should find wide application in the future...
- Cytology of pleomorphic lobular carcinoma with apocrine cell differentiation of the breast. A case reportTakashi Tashiro
Department of Pathology, University of Tokushima School of Medicine, 3 18 15 Kuramoto cho, Tokushima, 770 8503, Japan
Acta Cytol 47:265-9. 2003..Pleomorphic lobular carcinoma (PLC) with apocrine differentiation is a rare breast carcinoma, and its cytologic findings have not been reported before...
- A case of atypical granular cell tumor of the neurohypophysisS Kasashima
First Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa, Japan
Pathol Int 50:568-73. 2000..Interestingly, proliferating cell nuclear antigen, Ki-67 and p53 were stained in a few tumor cells of this case. These findings indicate that the present tumor had a malignant potential...
- Morphogenesis of craniopharyngeal derivatives in the neurohypophysis of Fisher 344 rats: abnormally developed epithelial tissues including parotid glands derived from the stomatodeumH Iwata
Biosafety Research Center, Foods, Drugs and Pesticides, Iwata gun, Shizuoka, Japan
Toxicol Pathol 28:568-74. 2000....
- The histopathology of a human mesenchymal stem cell experimental tumor model: support for an hMSC origin for Ewing's sarcoma?J S Burns
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Histol Histopathol 23:1229-40. 2008..hot spots of high CD34+ murine endothelial cell density, together with CD34- regions with a branching periodic acid Schiff reaction pattern...
- Granular acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a case report and literature reviewSean D Pitman
Division of Pathology, City of Hope National Medical Center, Duarte, California 91010, USA
Am J Hematol 82:834-7. 2007..Ten cases of adult granular acute lymphoblastic leukemia described to date in the literature were also reviewed...
- Meningioma with granulofilamentous inclusionsH Horiguchi
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Tokushima, School of Medicine, Japan
Ultrastruct Pathol 24:267-71. 2000..The findings demonstrated by confocal laser microscopy and electron microscopy suggest that these granular materials may be the metabolic products of vimentin filaments...
- Morphologic characteristics of lamellar channel deposits in the human eye: a case reportMichael D Twa
College of Optometry, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210 1240, USA
Cornea 23:412-20. 2004..To report the histologic characteristics of lamellar channel deposits after polymethyl methacrylate intrastromal corneal ring segments in a human eye...
- Different effects of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine on lysosomal function in cultured retinal pigment epithelial cellsStaffan P Sundelin
Division of Ophthalmology, Department of Neuroscience and Locomotion, Linkoping University, Sweden
APMIS 110:481-9. 2002..This conclusion is supported by the fact that NH4Cl, a non-fluorescent substance which acts similarly to 4-aminoquinolones, induced an increase in LF fluorescence paralleled by increased periodic acid-Schiff reactivity of RPE cells...
- [Effect of progestagens administered during pregnancy on histochemical reaction in fetal liver]B Ciszewska-Popiołek
Katedra i Zakład Histologii i Embiologii, Akademia Medyczna w Lublinie
Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska Med 45:99-105. 1990..succinate dehydrogenase, lactic dehydrogenase, acid phosphatase, glucose-6-phosphatase, PAS-reaction (Periodic acid Schiff reaction) and hematoxylin-eosin staining were carried out...
- Morphology and protein patterns of honey bee drone accessory glandsCarminda da Cruz-Landim
Departamento de Biologia, Instituto de Biociencias, UNESP, Caixa Postal 199, 13509 900 Rio Claro, SP, Brazil
Genet Mol Res 4:473-81. 2005..The protein content was higher in the lumen secretion than in the gland wall extracts. The electrophoresis patterns of the wall extracts were different from those of the secretion found in the gland lumen...
- Morphological regional differences of epithelial cells along the midgut in Diatraea saccharalis Fabricius (Lepidoptera: Crambidae) larvaeDaniela O Pinheiro
Depto Morfologia, Instituto de Biociencias, Univ Estadual Paulista, Botucatu, SP, 18618 000
Neotrop Entomol 37:413-9. 2008..Our results suggest that the sugarcane borer midgut has two morphologically different regions, the anterior and the posterior; the middle region is a transitional region...
- Histological, histochemical and morphometric changes of splenic melanomacrophage centers (SMMCs) in Sparicotyle-infected cultured sea breams (Sparus aurata)G De Vico
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 30:27-35. 2008..This study emphasizes the importance of using histopathological investigations to unravel the complex biological host/parasite interaction, which results in systemic lesions affecting reared marine species...
- Idiopathic systemic granulomatous disease with encephalitis in a horseM Peters
Addresses of authors Institut für Pathologie, Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, Bunteweg 17, Germany
J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med 50:108-12. 2003..Inflammatory involvement of the brain has hitherto not been reported in cases of equine ISGD. This case seems to be an uncommon variant of ISGD with encephalitis and lack of dermal involvement...
- [Relevance of vasoactive intestinal peptide and total bronchial mucin in rat lung.]Xiang Li
Research Department of Applied Physiology, Medical College, Hunan Normal University, Changsha 410006, China
Sheng Li Xue Bao 61:539-43. 2009..It is concluded that the secretion of VIP is negatively correlated with the secretion of bronchial mucin during the development of inflammation...
- Intestinal-type metaplasia in the original squamous epithelium of the cervixE Sivridis
Department of Pathology, Democritus University of Thrace, University General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Alexandroupolis, Greece
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 31:319-22. 2010..It is believed that this incomplete type of intestinal metaplasia is an acquired change in the cervix, derived from multi-potential stem cells of Müllerian duct origin...
- Bilateral renal oncocytoma in a Greyhound dogC D Buergelt
Department of Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville 32610, USA
Vet Pathol 37:188-92. 2000....
- Microvillous inclusion diseaseRūta Kucinskiene
Clinic of Children Diseases, Kaunas University of Medicine Hospital, 50010 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 40:864-7. 2004..These changes are typical for rare microvillous inclusion disease. When the diagnosis of microvillous inclusion disease is made, the only treatment is total parenteral nutrition and intestinal transplantation...
- Growth retardation of Mato's fluorescent granular perithelial (FGP) cells in scavenger receptor knockout (SRKO) miceM Mato
Department of Anatomy, Jichi Medical School, Tochigi, Japan
Anat Rec 247:307-16. 1997..The scavenger receptor for oxidized low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is also expressed on their cytoplasmic membrane. We studied the differentiation and growth of FGP cells in wild-type and scavenger receptor knockout (SRKO) mice...
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma arising in a fibroadenomaMario Blanco
The Arkadi M Rywlin MD, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, FL 33140, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 9:157-9. 2005..Histologic examination showed an adenoid cystic carcinoma with squamous differentiation originating in a fibroadenoma. A review of the literature reveals no previous report of such a case...
- Glycogen determination using periodic acid-schiff: artifact of muscle preparationTimothy J Fairchild
School of Human Movement and Exercise Science, University of Western Australia, Crawley, Western Australia, Australia 6009
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:2053-8. 2004..The goal is to investigate whether this thawing step results in a systematic error that is independent of muscle fiber type and muscle physiological state...
- Morphometrical and cell kinetic studies of normal human colorectal mucosa. Comparison between the proximal and the distal large intestineT Arai
First Department of Pathology, Hamamatsu University School of Medicine, Japan
Acta Pathol Jpn 39:725-30. 1989..These results provide information on the morphological and cell kinetic characteristics of normal mucosa of the colon and rectum...
- Malignant mesothelioma: PAS-diastase positivity and inversion of polarity in intravascular tumourS A Adams
Department of Histpathology, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
Histopathology 41:260-2. 2002..The aim of this study was to ascertain the nature of this material and to asses the polarity of the cells forming the pseudoglandular structure...
- Botulinum toxin type A induces apoptosis in nasal glands of guinea pigsS Rohrbach
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, , Germany
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 110:1045-50. 2001..The animals of the long-term group showed almost normal glandular tissue and only a few apoptotic nuclei. In conclusion, BTA induces temporary apoptosis in the nasal glandular compartment of guinea pigs...
- Extracellular matrix globules in renal oncocytomaM Guarino
Departments of Anatomical Pathology of D. Cotugno Hospital, Naples, Italy
Pathol Res Pract 197:245-52. 2001....
- Patterns of basal cell keratin 14 expression in Bowen's disease: a possible marker for tumour progressionM Komine
Department of Dermatology, University of Tokyo Branch Hospital, 3-28-6 Mejirodai, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8688, Japan
Br J Dermatol 145:223-8. 2001..K14 expression may be a marker of tumour progression in Bowen's disease...
- Distribution of mucous cells on the body surface of Japanese flounder Paralichthys olivaceusT Yamamoto
Fish Disease Laboratory, Department of Aquaculture, Kochi University, Nankoku, Kochi, Japan
J Fish Biol 78:848-59. 2011..The mucous cells observed were elliptic and positively stained for periodic acid Schiff reaction and Mayer's mucicarmine and showed a higher density and larger size on the ocular side compared to the ..
- Human metapneumovirus infection induces long-term pulmonary inflammation associated with airway obstruction and hyperresponsiveness in miceMarie Eve Hamelin
Research Center in Infectious Diseases, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Quebec, Laval University, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Infect Dis 193:1634-42. 2006..The objective of the present work was to study the duration of pulmonary inflammation and the functional consequences of infection with hMPV by use of a BALB/c mouse model...
- Ultrastructural and cytochemical studies on oogenesis of the fern Pteridium aquilinumJian Guo Cao
College of Life and Environment Sciences, Shanghai Normal University, Shanghai, 200234, China
Sex Plant Reprod 25:147-56. 2012....
- Study on vasculogenic mimicry in malignant esophageal stromal tumorsHui Zhao
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University, Jinan 250002, Shandong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 14:2430-3. 2008..That is vasculogenic mimicry (VM) independent of tumor angiogenesis...
- Structural changes of skin and amnion grafts for transplantation purposes following different doses of irradiationH Mrázová
Department of Pathology, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Cell Tissue Bank 15:429-33. 2014..5, orcein, periodic acid schiff reaction and silver impregnation...
- A comparative study of KOH test, PAS staining and fungal culture in diagnosis of onychomycosis in TaiwanYu Ping Hsiao
J Dermatol Sci 45:138-40. 2007
- Orthotopic human choroidal melanoma xenografts in nude rats with aggressive and nonaggressive PAS staining patternsRod D Braun
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 47:7-16. 2006..The purpose of this study was to develop new xenograft models of human choroidal melanoma that predictably demonstrate the PAS staining patterns associated with nonaggressive and aggressive tumors in humans...
- Widespread cutaneous metastases from acinic cell carcinoma 20 years after primary presentationMary F Varsegi
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Cutan Pathol 35:591-3. 2008..To our knowledge, is the first report of widespread cutaneous metastasis from acinic cell carcinoma...
- Recruitment of single muscle fibers during submaximal cycling exerciseT M Altenburg
Institute for Biophysical and Clinical Research into Human Movement, Manchester Metropolitan University, Cheshire, United Kingdom
J Appl Physiol (1985) 103:1752-6. 2007..Furthermore, the PCr/Cr ratio method is more sensitive in determining fiber activation than the PAS stain intensity method...
- Eosinophilic intracytoplasmic inclusions in Purkinje neurons of childrenViktor Zherebitskiy
Department of Pathology, Health Sciences Centre and University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Neuropathology 29:9-12. 2009..Their appearance in a wide range of disorders and in neurologically normal children suggests that they are a nonspecific protein trafficking anomaly, possibly aggravated under degenerative conditions...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9 regulates graft bone resorptionMei Lu
Department of Oral Health Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Angle Orthod 76:598-604. 2006..To explore the relationship between bone resorption and matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) expression in autogenous and allogenic bone grafts...
- Ectopic atrial arrhythmias arising from canine thoracic veins during in vivo stellate ganglia stimulationAlex Y Tan
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H691-8. 2008....
- ROLES OF NITRIC OXIDE AND OXYGEN IN OCULAR MELANOMARODNEY BRAUN; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Noninvasive Quantification of Axon Damage in EAE and MSSheng Kwei Song; Fiscal Year: 2010..In both strains, the extent of axonal damage will closely relate to the duration of the acute peaking of neurological deficits - presumably caused by acute inflammatory responses. ..
- Ultrasound Monitoring of Rat Metastatic Uveal MelanomaRODNEY BRAUN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SUBMACULAR SURGERY TRIALS PATHOLOGY CENTERHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2003..Additionally, eyes obtained post-mortem from patients enrolled in the SST will be studied for pathologic correlation with clinical findings and outcomes. ..
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastasisHans Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2003..Both the IFN and angiostatin will prevent the progression of micrometastases into metastases by anti-angiogenesis. Angiostatin will prevent metastases by an anti-melanoma invasion effect. ..
- PATHOGENEISIS OF CYSTIC FIBROSIS IN THE GI SYSTEMROBERT DE LISLE; Fiscal Year: 2003..Pathology and Muclin expression will be compared in CF mice, and CF mice crossed with gastrin deficient mice (lack gastric acid secretion) to normalize intestinal Ph. ..
- Studies of the Flp operon in A. actinomycetemcomitansElaine Haase; Fiscal Year: 2003..The information gained by these studies will ultimately aid in the development of novel strategies for preventing colonization of Aa and subsequent periodontal disease. ..
- TRANSGENIC MOUSE MODELS OF PANCREATIC EXOCRINE FUNCTIONROBERT DE LISLE; Fiscal Year: 2003..That over expresses Muclin in the pancreatic acinar cell using the rat elastase promoter to direct cell specific expression. ..
- CONSEQUENCES OF MALE LH RECEPTOR GENE KNOCKOUTZhenmin Lei; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Control of Eye Melanoma MetastsisHans E Grossniklaus; Fiscal Year: 2010..The third aim determines the mechanism of combined angiostatin/IFN control of the micrometastases using methods in the first two aims. ..