- The 3D scanner for measuring body surface area: a simplified calculation in the Chinese adult
Chi Yuan Yu
Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management, National Tsing Hua University, Shinchu, Taiwan, ROC
Appl Ergon 34:273-8. 2003
..A model is presented for estimation of human body surface area (BSA), which is identical in form to the one proposed in 1916 by DuBois and DuBois is presented...
- A modified Cockcroft-Gault formula taking into account the body surface area gives a more accurate estimation of the glomerular filtration rate
Unit of Nephrology and Dialysis, Centre Hospitalier Prive Claude Galien, Quincy sous Senart France
J Nephrol 20:576-85. 2007
We sought to validate the improvement by adjustment for body surface area (BSA) of the accuracy of the original Cockcroft-Gault equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate (GFR), in a prospective cross-sectional study of 269 European ..
- In situ metabolic flux analysis to quantify the liver metabolic response to experimental burn injury
Maria Louisa Izamis
The Center for Engineering in Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital Harvard Medical School Shriners Hospitals for Children, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 108:839-52. 2011
..Rats received a sham (control uninjured), 20% or 40% total body surface area (TBSA) scald burn, and were allowed to develop a hypermetabolic response...
- Body surface area in dosing anticancer agents: scratch the surface!
Antonius A Miller
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:1822-3. 2002
- Use of body surface area (BSA)-based dosages to calculate chemotherapeutic drug dose in dogs: I. Potential problems with current BSA formulae
G S Price
Department of Companion Animal and Special Species Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27606, USA
J Vet Intern Med 12:267-71. 1998
The dose of most cancer chemotherapeutic drugs administered to dogs is calculated on the basis of estimated body surface area (BSA); however results of some chemotherapy trials have revealed that this dosing method increases toxicosis in ..
- Analysis of past and present methods of measuring and estimating body surface area and the resulting evaluation of its doubtful suitability to universal application
Centro di Nefrologia e Dialisi, Ospedale San Giacomo, Rome, Italy
Blood Purif 30:296-305. 2010
b>Body surface area (BSA) is probably the most used tool for indexing physiological functions...
- Indexing glomerular filtration rate for body surface area in obese patients is misleading: concept and example
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:2024-8. 2005
- Ethnic differences in physiological cardiac adaptation to intense physical exercise in highly trained female athletes
King s College Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Circulation 121:1078-85. 2010
..There are no reports on cardiac adaptation in highly trained black females, who comprise an increasing population of elite competitors...
- Body surface area prediction in normal, hypermuscular, and obese mice
Michael C Cheung
Division of Surgical Oncology, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
J Surg Res 153:326-31. 2009
Accurate determination of body surface area (BSA) in experimental animals is essential for modeling effects of burn injury or drug metabolism...
- How to calculate the dose of chemotherapy
Department of Medical Oncology and Palliative Care, Westmead Hospital, Westmead 2145, Australia
Br J Cancer 86:1297-302. 2002
b>Body surface area-dosing does not account for the complex processes of cytotoxic drug elimination. This leads to an unpredictable variation in effect...
- Echocardiographic characteristics of professional football players
William B Abernethy
Cardiac Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:280-4. 2003
..We examined the echocardiographic characteristics of highly trained American football players...
- Flat-fixed dosing versus body surface area based dosing of anticancer drugs in adults: does it make a difference?
Ron H J Mathijssen
Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Department of Medical Oncology, Groene Hilledijk 301, 3075 EA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Oncologist 12:913-23. 2007
..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- Contrast enhancement in cardiovascular MDCT: effect of body weight, height, body surface area, body mass index, and obesity
Kyongtae T Bae
Department of Radiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 200 Lothrop St, Ste 4895, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:777-84. 2008
The purpose of our study was to evaluate the effect of body weight, height, body surface area (BSA), body mass index (BMI), and obesity on aortic contrast enhancement in cardiac MDCT.
- Gender, age, and body surface area are the major determinants of ascending aorta dimensions in subjects with apparently normal echocardiograms
Cardiovascular Center, Department of Cardiology, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 22:720-5. 2009
..Limited data have been published on the normal size of the ascending aorta (AA) measured using transthoracic echocardiography (TTE)...
- Doppler assessment of the ratio of the systolic to diastolic duration in normal children: relation to heart rate, age and body surface area
Pediatric Echocardiography, Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 22:928-32. 2009
..The purposes of this study were to establish normal values for the S/D ratio in children without heart disease and to investigate its variation with heart rate (HR), age, and body surface area.
- The Self-administered Eczema Area and Severity Index in children with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis: better estimation of AD body surface area than severity
Sara G A Van Velsen
Department of Pediatric Dermatology Allergology, Wilhelmina s Children Hospital, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Pediatr Dermatol 27:470-5. 2010
..61, p = <0.001), mainly based on high correlation between the body surface area (BSA) measurements of both scores (ρ = 0.50, p = <0.001)...
- Can rescaling dose of dialysis to body surface area in the HEMO study explain the different responses to dose in women versus men?
John T Daugirdas
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612 7323, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:1628-36. 2010
- Human body surface area: measurement and prediction using three dimensional body scans
Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Human Protection and Performance, 1133 Sheppard Avenue West, PO Box 2000, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3M 3B9
Eur J Appl Physiol 85:264-71. 2001
..graphics editing software have allowed an alternative and potentially more accurate determination of body surface area (BSA)...
- The online measurement of hemodialysis dose (Kt): clinical outcome as a function of body surface area
Edmund G Lowrie
Health Information Systems, Fresenius Medical Care North America, Lexington, Massachusetts 02420 9192, USA
Kidney Int 68:1344-54. 2005
..Average Kecn and treatment length, t, are multiplied giving total clearance, Kt. The body surface area (BSA) is a fixed transformation of height and weight and is a well recognized measure of body size...
- Determination of height, weight, body mass index, and body surface area with a single abdominal CT image
Estella M Geraghty
Department of Radiology, University of California Davis Medical Center, 4701 X St, Sacramento, CA 95817 2205, USA
Radiology 228:857-63. 2003
Techniques for estimation of an individual's height, weight, body mass index (BMI), and body surface area (BSA) with a single abdominal computed tomographic (CT) image were developed...
- Scaling cardiac structural data by body dimensions: a review of theory, practice, and problems
A M Batterham
University of Teesside, Middlesbrough, UK
Int J Sports Med 20:495-502. 1999
..of cardiac dimensions has been performed typically via a per-ratio standards method, (Y/X), with body surface area chosen as the size denominator...
- Relationship between an effective dose of imatinib, body surface area, and trough drug levels in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia
Department of Hematology and Infectious Diseases, Kumamoto University Hospital, Kumamoto, Japan
Int J Hematol 89:642-8. 2009
..b>Body surface area (BSA) was significantly smaller in patients receiving the reduced dose compared with those receiving the ..
- A simple procedure for estimation of total body surface area and determination of a new value of Meeh's constant in rats
Laboratory of Physiology, University of Ioannina, 45110 Ioannina, Greece
Lab Anim 46:40-5. 2012
Precise calculation of total body surface area (TBSA) or premarked surface areas (P-MSAs) is of great importance in many biomedical applications...
- Assessment of left and right ventricular parameters in healthy Korean volunteers using cardiac magnetic resonance imaging: change in ventricular volume and function based on age, gender and body surface area
Sung A Chang
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 28:141-7. 2012
..All parameters were analyzed based on age and gender, and normalized to body surface area (BSA). LV volume, mass and cardiac output were significantly greater in males than in females...
- Height, whole Body Surface Area, gender, working outdoors, and sunbathing in previous summer are important determinants of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels
Department of Endocrinology and Endocrine Oncology, Theagenio Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 120:14-22. 2012
To investigate if serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) is related to the whole Body Surface Area (BSA), and to several other anthropometric and environmental factors.
- Normal values for aortic diameters in children and adolescents--assessment in vivo by contrast-enhanced CMR-angiography
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, University Children s Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 10:56. 2008
..We sought to establish normal values for the diameters of the thoracic aorta and reference curves related to body growth in children using CE-CMRA...
- Body surface area in normal-weight, overweight, and obese adults. A comparison study
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, University Hospital Antwerp, 2650 Edegem, Belgium
Metabolism 55:515-24. 2006
Values for body surface area (BSA) are commonly used in medicine, particularly to calculate doses of chemotherapeutic agents and index cardiac output. Various BSA formulas have been developed over the years...
- Surface cooling for rapid induction of mild hypothermia after cardiac arrest: design determines efficacy
Department of Emergency Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Acad Emerg Med 17:360-7. 2010
..Recently, a novel cooling pad was developed for rapid induction of mild hypothermia after cardiac arrest. The aim of this study was to evaluate the cooling efficacy of three different pad designs for in-hospital cooling...
- Valganciclovir dosing according to body surface area and renal function in pediatric solid organ transplant recipients
Stollery Children s Hospital, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Am J Transplant 9:636-43. 2009
..up to 100 days' valganciclovir prophylaxis; dosage was calculated using the algorithm: dose (mg) = 7 x body surface area x creatinine clearance (Schwartz method; CrCLS)...
- Effect of obesity on the leukocyte nadir in women treated with adjuvant cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil dosed according to body surface area
Department of Oncology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Acta Oncol 40:67-71. 2001
..the effect of parameters reflecting the body size, body weight and height, body mass index (BMI), and body surface area (BSA) on the depth of the blood leukocyte nadir in breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy, ..
- Dose of dialysis based on body surface area is markedly less in younger children than in older adolescents
John T Daugirdas
University of Illinois at Chicago, 820 S Wood Street, N C 793, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 5:821-7. 2010
..Normalizing Kt/V to body surface area (S) has been proposed, but the implications of doing this in children have not been examined.
- Reduced nephron number and glomerulomegaly in Australian Aborigines: a group at high risk for renal disease and hypertension
W E Hoy
Centre for Chronic Disease, Central Clinical School University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Kidney Int 70:104-10. 2006
..Optimization of fetal growth should ultimately reduce the florid epidemic of renal disease, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease...
- Management of burns of over 80% of total body surface area: a comparative study
Department of Burns, First Affiliated Hospital of Anhui Medical University, 218 Jixi Road, Hefei, Anhui 230022, PR China
Burns 35:210-4. 2009
..Over 1987-1996, 24 people with burns >80% of total body surface area and >50% full-thickness burn were admitted to the burn unit of Anhui Medical University Hospital (group A)..
- The risk of thrombo-embolic events is increased in patients with germ-cell tumours and can be predicted by serum lactate dehydrogenase and body surface area
A C Piketty
Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 93:909-14. 2005
..In multivariate analysis, two factors had independent predictive value for TEE: a high body surface area (>1.9 m2) (RR: 5 (1.8-13.9)) and an elevated serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) (RR: 6.4 (2.3-18.2))...
- Combination vinorelbine and capecitabine for metastatic breast cancer using a non-body surface area dosing scheme
Anne F Schott
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 58:129-35. 2006
..A flat dosing scheme of both drugs was used to facilitate development of the oral regimen, and because neither drug's clearance is associated with body surface area (BSA), pharmacokinetic and pharmacogenetic endpoints were explored.
- Dose calculation of anticancer drugs: a review of the current practice and introduction of an alternative
Department of Medical Oncology and Palliative Care, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, NSW, Australia
J Clin Oncol 14:2590-611. 1996
..To review the current dose-calculation practice and propose a non-body-surface area (BSA)-based dose-calculation method...
- Body-surface area-based dosing does not increase accuracy of predicting cisplatin exposure
F E de Jongh
Department of Medical Oncology, Rotterdam Cancer Institute (Daniel den Hoed Kliniek, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 19:3733-9. 2001
..30% to 32.7%). CONCLUSION: In view of the high interpatient variability in CL(free) relative to variation in observed BSA, no rationale for continuing BSA-based dosing was found. We recommend fixed-dosing regimens for cisplatin...
- A trial of the effectiveness of artificial dermis in the treatment of patients with burns greater than 45% total body surface area
Michael D Peck
North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center and the Department of Surgery, University of North Carolina Health Care, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514, USA
J Trauma 52:971-8. 2002
- Body surface area of ST elevation and the presence of late potentials correlate to the inducibility of ventricular tachyarrhythmias in Brugada syndrome
Hospital of the Westfälischen Wilhelms University, Department of Cardiology and Angiology and Institute for Arteriosclerosis Research, Munster, Germany
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 13:742-9. 2002
..Therefore, the body surface area of ST elevation and the presence of late potentials were compared to the inducibility of VT in patients with ..
- Adequacy of peritoneal dialysis in children: consider the membrane for optimal prescription
Nephrology Dialysis and Transplantation Children s Unit, University Hospital, University Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
Perit Dial Int 27:S167-70. 2007
..Fill volume should be scaled for body surface area (mL/m2) and, to avoid a hyperpermeable exchange, for a not-too-small amount...
- Distribution of Buruli ulcer lesions over body surface area in a large case series in Ghana: uncovering clues for mode of transmission
Ilona C Hospers
Department of Internal Medicine, Groningen University Medical Centre, P O Box 30001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:196-201. 2005
..and lower extremities were affected equally by Buruli ulcers, if correction was made for differences in body surface area. Patients from outside the Amansie West district presented significantly more often with ulcerated lesions, ..
- Influence of body surface area on serum peak thyrotropin (TSH) levels after recombinant human TSH administration
Dipartimento di Endocrinologia ed Oncologia Molecolare e Clinica, Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita degli Studi di Napoli Federico II, 80127 Napoli, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1319-22. 2003
..of several demographic and anthropometric parameters [age, body weight, height, body mass index, and body surface area (BSA)] on serum peak TSH levels after rhTSH administration...
- Evaluation of an alternate dosing strategy for cisplatin in patients with extreme body surface area values
Walter J Loos
Department of Medical Oncology, Erasmus MC, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 24:1499-506. 2006
The majority of cytotoxic drugs for adults are dosed based on body surface area (BSA), aiming to reduce interpatient variability in drug exposure...
- Determination of normal gender-specific left atrial dimensions by cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging
Department of Cardiology and Angiology, Marienhospital, University of Bochum, Herne, Germany
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 7:677-83. 2005
..We aimed to establish normal values for LAEDD using CMR and a fast gradient-echo sequence with steady-state free precession (SSFP)...
- Standardization of the body surface area (BSA) formula to calculate the dose of anticancer agents in Japan
Department of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 33:309-13. 2003
The importance of deciding the appropriate dose of anticancer agents cannot be overemphasized. Body surface area (BSA) has been used to calculate the dose in anticancer therapy since the 1950s...
- Anthropometric prediction of total body water in children who are on pediatric peritoneal dialysis
Bruce Z Morgenstern
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Phoenix Children s Hospital, 1919 East Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85016, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:285-93. 2006
..37 x weight; for girls, TBW = 0.14 x (HtWt)0.64 - 0.35 x weight. The height x weight parameter also predicts body surface area (BSA). These equations can be simplified, with slightly less precision, to the following: For boys, TBW = 20...
- Role of body surface area in dosing of investigational anticancer agents in adults, 1991-2001
Sharyn D Baker
Division of Experimental Therapeutics, The Sydney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD 21237, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:1883-8. 2002
The prescribed dose of anticancer agents is most commonly calculated using body surface area as the only independent variable, and it has been shown that this approach still results in large interpatient variability in drug exposure...
- The natural history of the growth of the hand: I. Hand area as a percentage of body surface area
H R Amirsheybani
Department of Surgery, the Pinnacle Health System, Department of Psychiatry, University of California at Los Angeles, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 107:726-33. 2001
..The area of the palmar surface of one hand has been estimated to be 1 percent of the body surface area. The area of the palmar surface of the hand was measured to test the accuracy of this estimate and then ..
- Body surface area as a determinant of pharmacokinetics and drug dosing
Committee on Clinical Pharmacology, Department of Medicine, and Cancer Research Center, The University of Chicago, 60637-1470, IL, USA
Invest New Drugs 19:171-7. 2001
b>Body surface area (BSA) was introduced into medical oncology in order to derive a safe starting dose for phase I studies of anticancer drugs from preclinical animal toxicology data...
- Flat-fixed dosing versus body surface area based dosing of anticancer drugs: there is a difference
Institut für Pharmazeutische und Medizinische Chemie Klinische Pharmazie Hittorfstr 58 62, 48149 Munster, Germany
Oncologist 12:924-6. 2007
- Aortic dimensions in girls and young women with turner syndrome: a magnetic resonance imaging study
Department of Paediatrics, Hillerød Hospital, 3400 Hillerød, Denmark
Pediatr Cardiol 31:497-504. 2010
..The thoracic aortic diameters of the patients were measured at nine positions. Adjustment for body surface area (BSA) was performed...
- Systolic and diastolic time intervals measured from Doppler tissue imaging: normal values and Z-score tables, and effects of age, heart rate, and body surface area
Heart Institute for Children, Oaklawn, Oaklawn, Illinois 60453, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 21:361-70. 2008
..intervals measured by Doppler tissue imaging (DTI) and to determine the effects of age, heart rate (HR), and body surface area on DTI-derived time intervals in children. We studied 593 children with normal echocardiogram results...
- Aortic valve disease in Turner syndrome
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 51:1904-9. 2008
..Our goal was to determine the prevalence and characteristics of aortic valve disease in girls and women with monosomy for the X chromosome, or Turner syndrome (TS)...
- Low birth weight and reduced renal volume in Aboriginal children
Menzies School of Health Research, Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Am J Kidney Dis 37:915-20. 2001
..523. Combined kidney volume, corrected for body surface area (corrKV), was independent of age and averaged 240 +/- 45 mL/1.73 m(2)...
- A review of computer-aided body surface area determination: SAGE II and EPRI's 3D Burn Vision
J M Neuwalder
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Burn Care Rehabil 23:55-9; discussion 54. 2002
Estimates of percent body surface area (%BSA) burns correlate well with fluid needs, nutritional requirements, and prognosis. Most burn centers rely on the Lund Browder chart and "rule of nines," to calculate the %BSA...
- Annular and septal Doppler tissue imaging in children: normal z-score tables and effects of age, heart rate, and body surface area
David A Roberson
Heart Institute for Children, Oaklawn, Illinois 60453, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 20:1276-84. 2007
..normal echocardiograms from 634 children aged 1 day to 18 years, heart rate (HR) range of 50 to 194/min, and body surface area (BSA) range of 0.1 to 2.8 m2...
- Chemotherapy dosing part I: scientific basis for current practice and use of body surface area
S A Kaestner
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 5W, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, UK
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 19:23-37. 2007
..In an attempt to reduce this variability, most chemotherapy doses are individualised according to patient body surface area (BSA)...
- Right ventricular Tei index in children: effect of method, age, body surface area, and heart rate
David A Roberson
Heart Institute for Children, Hope Children s Hospital, Oak Lawn, Illinois 60453, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 20:764-70. 2007
..the effects of the methods of Doppler tissue imaging (DTI) versus pulse wave Doppler (PWD) and age, body surface area (BSA), and heart rate on the RVTX in a population of 308 children with normal echocardiogram findings...
- Magnetic-resonance-imaging-derived indices for the normalization of left ventricular morphology by body size
Keith P George
Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Science, Liverpool John Moores University, L3 2ET Liverpool, UK
Magn Reson Imaging 27:207-13. 2009
..The traditional method of simple ratio scaling using, for example, body surface area (BSA) assumes a linear and proportional relationship and accurate measurement of both LV mass and BSA...
- Body surface area and body weight predict total liver volume in Western adults
Jean Nicolas Vauthey
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Liver Transpl 8:233-40. 2002
..This study is designed to determine a formula predicting total liver volume (TLV) based on body surface area (BSA) or body weight in Western adults. TLV was measured in 292 patients from four Western centers...
- Factors affecting epirubicin pharmacokinetics and toxicity: evidence against using body-surface area for dose calculation
H P Gurney
Department of Medical Oncology and Palliative Care, Westmead Hospital, Australia
J Clin Oncol 16:2299-304. 1998
..An exploratory study to test whether body-surface area (BSA) should be used for the calculation of epirubicin dose...
- Body surface area estimation in children using weight alone: application in paediatric oncology
Pharmacy Dept, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle, UK
Br J Cancer 85:23-8. 2001
The majority of chemotherapy regimens and trials specify doses of cytotoxic drugs normalized to body surface area. Estimation of BSA in paediatric patients is particularly problematic, as conventional nomograms require accurate ..
- Impact of body-size measures on irinotecan clearance: alternative dosing recommendations
Ron H J Mathijssen
Department of Medical Oncology, Rotterdam Cancer Institute Daniel den Hoed Kliniek, 3008 AE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 20:81-7. 2002
..To evaluate relationships between various body-size measures and irinotecan (CPT-11) clearance and metabolism in cancer patients, and to provide future dosing recommendations for this agent...
- Aortic size assessment by noncontrast cardiac computed tomography: normal limits by age, gender, and body surface area
Departments of Imaging, CSMC Burns and Allen Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, University of California at Los Angeles, USA
JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 1:200-9. 2008
..To determine normal limits for ascending and descending thoracic aorta diameters in a large population of asymptomatic, low-risk adult subjects...
- Relationship of body surface area with bone density and its risk of osteoporosis at various skeletal regions in women of mainland China
Xian Ping Wu
Institute of Metabolism and Endocrinology, The Second Xiang Ya Hospital, Central South University, 86 Renmin Zhong Road, 410011, Changsha, Hunan, People s Republic of China
Osteoporos Int 15:751-9. 2004
The aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between body surface area (BS) and bone mineral density (BMD) and the associated osteoporosis risk at various skeletal regions in women from mainland China...
- Sonographic assessment of the normal limits and percentile curves of liver, spleen, and kidney dimensions in healthy school-aged children
Alp Alper Safak
Department of Radiology, Duzce School of Medicine, Abant Izzet Baysal University, Konuralp 81620, Duzce, Turkey
J Ultrasound Med 24:1359-64. 2005
..purpose of this study was to determine the normal standards of liver, spleen, and kidney dimensions and the relationship of each with sex, age, body weight, height, body mass index, and body surface area in healthy school-aged children.
- Indexation criteria of ventricular mass and predictive role of blood pressure and body composition
Liberato Aldo Ferrara
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Federico 2nd University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Am J Hypertens 18:1282-7. 2005
..Left ventricular mass has been adjusted to height, to height2.7(h2.7) and to body surface area (BSA)...
- Etiology and outcome of pediatric burns in Tabriz, Iran
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Burns 31:721-5. 2005
..There were 39 deaths related to scalds. Large burn size was the strongest predictor of mortality followed by the presence of inhalation injury and the length of time to intravenous access...
- Percentile curves of normal values of echocardiographic measurements in normal children from the central-southern region of the State of São Paulo, Brazil
Rossano César Bonatto
Faculdade de Medicina de Botucatu, Universidade Estadual de Sao Paulo, UNESP, Botucatu, SP, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 87:711-21. 2006
..To asses the values of echocardiographic measurements in normal children without cardiopathy and to build percentile curves, relating them to the body surface (BS, m(2))...
- Inferior vena cava diameter: a useful method for estimation of fluid status in children on haemodialysis
Nephrology Clinic and Dialysis Unit, Schneider Children's Medical Center of Israel, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University, Petah-Tikva 49202, Israel
Nephrol Dial Transplant 16:1203-6. 2001
..IVCD was expressed per body surface area. RESULTS: Following haemodialysis mean IVCD (average of expiration and inspiration) decreased from 1.12+/-0...
- A seven-year epidemiology study of 12,381 admitted burn patients in Taiwan--using the Internet registration system of the Childhood Burn Foundation
Kwang Yi Tung
Childhood Burn Foundation, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Burns 31:S12-7. 2005
..First and second years of life were the peak of incidence. The mean extent of burn was 14.0% total body surface area with 950 patients (7.7%) suffering from a burn extent >/=40% TBSA. Scalds resulted in 5085 admissions (43...
- Epidemiology of burn injuries in Singapore from 1997 to 2003
Department of Plastic Burns Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore S169608, Singapore
Burns 31:S18-26. 2005
- Epidemiological and outcome characteristics of major burns in Tokyo
The Tokyo Burn Unit Association, Department of Trauma and Critical Care Center, Teikyo University School of Medicine, 2 11 1 Kaga, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8606, Japan
Burns 31:S3-S11. 2005
..Gender was not a factor for high mortality in any age group. The mortality rate showed mildly decreasing tendency since 1995 for which implementation of skin bank was thought to be responsible...
- Burn care in Los Angeles, California: LAC+USC experience 1994-2004
Warren L Garner
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, CA, USA
Burns 31:S32-5. 2005
..7 patients each year; heterotopic ossification was seen in 4 patients (0.4%); 4 patients (0.4%) developed stage II-IV pressure sores; hypothermia was present in 0.8% of patients...
- [A body mass index related scale for reconstructive breast reduction]
, Asthetische und Rekonstruktive Chirurgie, Landesklinikum, Feldkirch, Osterreich, Schweiz
Wien Med Wochenschr 155:65-9. 2005
..guidelines for graded minimum resection weight recommendations, which have relied on the body weight or the body surface area, parameters that both had a much lower correlation to the resected breast tissue in the patient group than ..
- Establishing transfusion needs in burn patients
Kara K Criswell
The Burn and Shock Trauma Institute, Loyola University Medical Center, 2160 South First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Am J Surg 189:324-6. 2005
..It is difficult to predict the blood loss that will occur per operation and how many units the patient will require during surgery. This may result in high cross-match-to-transfusion ratios (CMTRs)...
- Gene expression changes with time in skeletal muscle of severely burned children
Mohan R K Dasu
Department of Surgery, The University of Texas Medical Branch, and Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Ann Surg 241:647-53. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to identify gene-expression changes in leg muscle for up to 24 months after a severe thermal injury...
- Differences in the outcomes and treatments of extensively burned patients between a Chinese hospital and a Japanese hospital
Department of Traumatology and Critical Care Medicine, National Defense Medical College, 3 2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 206:283-90. 2005
..patients were transported to the respective hospitals within 3 days after suffering burns and their total body surface area of burns was greater than 20%. Fourteen of the 34 patients (41...
- Acoustic pressure wound therapy for management of mixed partial- and full-thickness burns in a rural wound center
Regional Medical Center of Orangeburg and Calhoun Counties, Orangeburg, SC, USA
Ostomy Wound Manage 54:56-9. 2008
..old) with mixed partial- and full-thickness burns involving the trunk, extremities, or both, averaging 7% of body surface area (range: 1% to 24%), were reviewed. Patients received acoustic pressure wound therapy with standard burn care...
- Analysis of pediatric burns in Nagasaki University from 1983 to 2002
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Developmental and Reconstructive Medicine Nagasaki University, Graduate School of Biomedical and Sciences, 1 7 1 Sakamoto, Nagasaki 852, Japan
Burns 31:1041-4. 2005
..4+/-14.6% versus 6.6+/-13.26%, TBSA). Pediatric burns in younger children should be studied closely as to their causes and with further follow-up...
- Tandir burns: a severe cause of burns in rural Turkey
Mufide Nuran Akcay
Ataturk University, Medical Faculty, Department of General Surgery, Erzurum, Turkey
Burns 34:268-70. 2008
..The mean age was 17.10 years (1-60 years) and 61.50% of the patients were female. The mean total body surface area (TBSA) burned was 21.09% (6-58) and 88% of the patients had third-degree burns...
- The influence of age and gender on resting energy expenditure in severely burned children
Ronald P Mlcak
Shriners Hospital for Children and Department of Surgery, University Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77550, USA
Ann Surg 244:121-30. 2006
..The purpose of this study was to analyze the influence of age and gender on resting energy expenditure (REE) in severely burned children from acute hospitalization through 12 months postburn...
- Estimation of pancreas weight from donor variables
Clinical Islet Transplant Program, University of Alberta and Capital Health Authority, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cell Transplant 15:181-5. 2006
..from 354 cadaveric donors with respect to gender, age, body weight, body height, body mass index (BMI), and body surface area (BSA). In men, pancreas weight correlated more closely with body weight than with age, height, or BMI...
- Coronary artery diameters in infants and children with congenital heart disease as determined by computed tomography
Shyh Jye Chen
Department of Medical Imaging, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Cardiol 100:1696-701. 2007
..between the genders, and relations of the diameters of the coronary arteries to age, height, weight, body surface area, and the diameter of the descending aorta were examined...
- Body composition changes with time in pediatric burn patients
Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Texas, USA
J Trauma 60:968-71; discussion 971. 2006
..Major trauma and burns are associated with whole body catabolism which can persist for 1 or more years after injury. This study investigates body composition in massively burned children for up to 2 years...
- Constancy in integrated cisplatin plasma concentrations among pediatric patients
Department of Chemistry, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 46:443-8. 2006
..The authors conclude that the inconsistency in AUC can be reduced 10-fold with dosing proportional to the weight and the drug pharmacokinetic parameters [(weight0.7)/(Cmaxxt1/2(0.5))]...
- Population pharmacokinetics of liposomal amphotericin B in pediatric patients with malignant diseases
Faculty of Pharmacy, Pharmacy Building A15, Camperdown Campus, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:935-42. 2006
..The model has been evaluated and can be used in the design of rational dosing strategies for L-AmB antifungal therapy in this special population...
- Are paediatric burns more common in asylum seekers? An analysis of paediatric burn admissions
M P Dempsey
National Paediatric Burn Unit, Our Lady s Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin, Dublin 12, Ireland
Burns 32:242-5. 2006
..Scalds accounted for 13 cases, one contact burn occurred from a hot grill. The median total body surface area burned was 5.7% (range 1.5-26%). The National Census of 2002 recorded a population of 3,917,203...
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia bacteremia in burn patients
Wen Ping Tsai
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, 138 Sheng Li Road, Tainan 704, Taiwan
Burns 32:155-8. 2006
- Paediatric burn prevention: an epidemiological approach
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
Burns 32:229-34. 2006
..To study the mechanism of burn in hospitalized paediatric burn patients in order to develop a focused burn prevention campaign...
- Paediatric burns in Kuwait: incidence, causes and mortality
Prem N Sharma
Health Sciences Center, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Burns 32:104-11. 2006
..Gender and nationality had no influence on incidence or mortality. These findings will hopefully stimulate development of targeted and sustainable interventions for reducing burns occurrence among identified paediatric high-risk groups...
- Preventable thermal burns associated with the ignition of paint thinner: experience of a burn care network in Turkey
Department of General Surgery, Transplantation and Burns, Baskent University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Minerva Med 98:653-9. 2007
..This retrospective study evaluated the epidemiology of burn injuries, due to paint thinner ignition, in patients treated at the burn units of a university hospital network...
- A simplified weight-based method for pediatric drug dosing for zidovudine and didanosine in resource-limited settings
Paul J Weidle
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 25:59-64. 2006
..drugs used for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected children with dose recommendations based on body surface area calculations...
- Hot oil burns--a study of predisposing factors, clinical course and prevention strategies
Christopher L Hankins
Department of Plastic Surgery, Pinderfields General Hospital, Aberford Road, Wakefield, WA6, UK
Burns 32:92-6. 2006
..The total body surface area of adults and children were similar, i.e. 7.15 +/- 5.49% versus 7.23 +/- 6.87%...
- Hot beverage burns: an 11-year experience of the Yorkshire Regional Burns Centre
Christopher L Hankins
Department of Plastic Surgery, Pinderfields General Hospital, Aberford Road, Wakefield WF1 4DG, UK
Burns 32:87-91. 2006
..Changes in referral patterns over this period resulted in a decrease in the mean total body surface area of injury, an increase in the number of admissions and an increase in the time interval from injury to ..
- Burn patterns of Asian ethnic minorities living in West Yorkshire, UK
J M Rawlins
Plastic Surgery and Burns Research Unit, University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford BD7 1 DP, UK
Burns 32:97-103. 2006
..Much of this is behaviour related, and it is hoped that through preventative measures a marked reduction in the number of Asian ethnic minority burns can be achieved...
- Deaths due to burns in Adana, Turkey
Cukurova University School of Medicine, Department of Forensic Medicine, Adana, Turkey
Burns 34:982-5. 2008
..7%) were the commonest type under 10 years of age. The present study will contribute to taking and disseminating safety measures by determining general properties and risk factors of such preventable deaths...
- Superior vena cava and innominate vein dimensions in growing children : an aid for interventional devices and transvenous leads
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 27:414-9. 2006
..Since venous diameters are largely unknown at different ages, the purpose of this study was to correlate innominate vein (INN) and superior vena cava (SVC) diameters with body dimensions in growing children...
- Glass front of gas fire places: a clear and present danger
Booth Hall Children s Hospital, Charlestown Road, Blackley, Manchester M97AA, UK
Burns 31:72-5. 2005
..Our study aimed to ascertain the features and pattern of morbidity of such injuries, and to address preventive measures...
- Indexing glomerular filtration rate to suit children
Nicholas J Bird
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, United Kingdom
J Nucl Med 44:1037-43. 2003
..able to compare individuals of differing size, glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is conventionally indexed to body surface area (BSA)...
- Paediatric rehabilitation in a developing country--India in relation to aetiology, consequences and outcome in a group of 459 burnt children
K Mathangi Ramakrishnan
CHILDS Trust Hospital, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
Pediatr Rehabil 7:145-9. 2004
Age, aetiology of burn, percentage body surface area burnt and post-burn sequelae have a direct relationship to the rehabilitative necessity in burnt children in a developing country--India...