- [Effect of different storage methods on the viability of Halobacterium salinarum]
T M Holovach
Institute of Microbiology and Virology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 154 Zabolotny St, Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Mikrobiol Z 64:6-11. 2002
..Other long-term storage methods: L-drying, freezing at low temperatures, are not recommended for halobacteria...
- Logistics and quality control for DNA sampling in large multicenter studies
R J Nederhand
Gaubius Laboratory, TNO Prevention and Health, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 1:987-91. 2003
..From these results we conclude that transport of non-frozen blood by ordinary mail is usable and practical for DNA isolation for polymerase chain reaction in clinical and epidemiological studies...
- Effects of storage conditions of Moringa oleifera seeds on its performance in coagulation
Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor
Bioresour Technol 97:1455-60. 2006
..In addition, Moringa oleifera can be used as a potential coagulant especially for very high turbidity water...
- Fecal collection, ambient preservation, and DNA extraction for PCR amplification of bacterial and human markers from human feces
Jordan M Nechvatal
Department of Physiology, Wayne State University, 540 E Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Microbiol Methods 72:124-32. 2008
..Thus, fecal DNA is well preserved by methods suitable for self-collection that may be useful in future molecular epidemiological studies of intestinal bacteria and human cancer markers...
- The UK Biobank sample handling and storage validation studies
Tim C Peakman
UK Biobank, Spectrum Way, Adswood, Stockport, Cheshire SK3 0SA, UK
Int J Epidemiol 37:i2-6. 2008
..A series of validation studies was recommended to test the robustness of the draft sample handling and storage protocol...
- Whole-genome shotgun sequencing of mitochondria from ancient hair shafts
M Thomas P Gilbert
Centre for Ancient Genetics, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 15, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Science 317:1927-30. 2007
..The method therefore sets the stage for molecular-genetic analysis of museum collections...
- Comment on "Whole-genome shotgun sequencing of mitochondria from ancient hair shafts"
McMaster Ancient DNA Centre, Department of Anthropology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton L8S 4L9, ON, Canada
Science 322:857; author reply 857. 2008
..When experimental parameters are carefully controlled for, including adequate sampling, quantitative polymerase chain reaction analysis, and modeling the decay of DNA, the general importance of this claim is not supported...
- Evaluation of methods for duration of preservation of RNA quality in rat liver used for transcriptome analysis
Toxicogenomics Project, National Institute of Biomedical Innovation, Ibaraki, Osaka, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 31:509-19. 2006
- Water and lipid relations in beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) seeds and its effect on storage behaviour
Institute of Dendrology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Parkowa 5, PL 62 035, Kornik, Poland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1621:48-56. 2003
..5 kJ/mol for 28% H(2)O and E(a)=4.7 kJ/mol for 8% H(2)O or less. The optimal storage conditions of beech seeds are proposed in the range from 255 K for 15% H(2)O to 280 K for 9% H(2)O...
- In vitro maturation and fertilization of buffalo oocytes: effects of storage of ovaries, IVM temperatures, storage of processed sperm and fertilization media
B M Ravindranatha
University of Agricultural Sciences, Hebbal, Bangalore, India
Reprod Domest Anim 38:21-6. 2003
..05) decreased its ability to cleave the oocytes. Sperm processed in BO medium had significantly (p < 0.05) higher ability to cleave the oocytes than the H-TALP medium...
- Raman microscopy of freeze-dried mouse eyeball-slice in conjunction with the "in vivo cryotechnique"
Department of Anatomy, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering, University of Yamanashi, Chuo City, Yamanashi 409 3898, Japan
Microsc Res Tech 70:634-9. 2007
- Stability of intact parathyroid hormone in samples from hemodialysis patients
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital of Liege, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Kidney Int 72:370-2. 2007
..If the lab services general practitioners and/or several hospitals and has a continuous flow of samples, EDTA-treated samples stored at room temperature are the best...
- Storage and translational issues in reparative medicine
Center for Engineering in Medicine and Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 961:258-62. 2002
- Prevention of cold-preservation injury of cultured endothelial cells by catecholamines and related compounds
V Medizinische Universitätsklinik, Clinical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Am J Transplant 4:22-30. 2004
..In conclusion we have demonstrated that catecholamines protect cells against preservation injury either by scavenging of ROS or by inhibition of ROS production...
- Optimisation and comparison of liquid and dry formulations of the biocontrol yeast Pichia anomala J121
Department of Microbiology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7027, SE 750 07, Uppsala, Sweden
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 73:1008-16. 2007
..Using micro-silos we found that the biocontrol activity remained intact after drying, storage and rehydration for all formulations...
- Strategies for the storage of Ancylostoma caninum third-stage larvae
S R Kopp
School of Veterinary Science, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
J Parasitol 94:755-6. 2008
..Motility and migratory ability of cryopreserved larvae was only significantly higher (P < 0.01) than room temperature-stored larvae from 4 and 5 mo onward, respectively...
- Changes in soluble carbohydrates during storage of Caesalpinia echinata LAM. (Brazilwood) seeds, an endangered leguminous tree from the Brazilian Atlantic Forest
I S Garcia
Instituto de Botânica, CP 4005, CEP 01061 970, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Biol 66:739-45. 2006
..Sucrose contents remained relatively stable. Changes in soluble sugars during storage suggest that the loss of germinability of seeds of C. echinata could be associated with low levels of glucose and fructose in relation to sucrose...
- Biopreservation of red blood cells: past, present, and future
Kirby L Scott
Canadian Blood Services, Research and Development, and Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta, Edmonton
Transfus Med Rev 19:127-42. 2005
..This paper will review the history, science, current practices, and emerging technologies of current RBC biopreservation approaches: hypothermic storage, cryopreservation, and lyophilization...
- Lung preservation: pulmonary flush route affects bronchial mucosal temperature and expression of IFN-gamma and Gro in regional lymph nodes
David W Roe
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Am J Transplant 5:995-1001. 2005
..These data suggest that pulmonary flush via AG/BA during donor harvest may be optimal to decrease the risk of early graft failure...
- Cryopreservation of starfish oocytes
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics Bosphorus University Bebek 80815 Istanbul, Turkey
Cryobiology 50:38-47. 2005
..These data suggests that successful cryopreservation of starfish oocytes is possible, but will need further refinement to increase the numbers of fully competent embryos...
- Production of offspring from one-day-old oocytes stored at room temperature
Laboratory for Genomic Reprogramming, Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN, Kobe, Japan
J Reprod Dev 50:627-37. 2004
..However, since at least a few percent of stored oocytes retained the potential for full-term development, it may be possible to overcome these problems and develop a simple method for preserving mammalian oocytes without freezing...
- Global voices of science. Protector of the seeds: seminal reflections from southern Africa
Department of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Science 307:47-9. 2005
- Subnormothermic preservation maintains viability and function in a porcine hepatocyte culture model simulating bioreactor transport
M P van de Kerkhove
Department of Surgery Surgical Laboratory, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cell Transplant 15:161-8. 2006
..Future research will focus on the implementation of the AMC-BAL in an oxygenated culture medium perfusion system for transport between the laboratory and the hospital...
- Ameliorating injury during preservation and isolation of human islets using the two-layer method with perfluorocarbon and UW solution
Surgical Medical Research Institute, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cell Transplant 15:187-94. 2006
- Fibres as carriers for Lactobacillus rhamnosus during freeze-drying and storage in apple juice and chocolate-coated breakfast cereals
VTT, Biotechnology, P O Box 1000 Tietotie 2, FI 02044 VTT, Finland
Int J Food Microbiol 112:171-8. 2006
..Regardless of their differing capability to adhere to fibre preparations the two L. rhamnosus strains studied gave parallel results in the stability studies with different carriers...
- Virulence stability in Flavobacterium psychrophilum after storage and preservation according to different procedures
Institut National de Recherche Agronomique, Unité de Virologie et d Immunologie Moléculaires, Centre de Recherches de Jouy en Josas, 78352 Jouy en Josas Cedex, France
Vet Res 34:127-32. 2003
..psychrophilum were likely to retain their properties without special provisions within limited periods of time, and that both lyophilisation and freezing at -80 degrees C were reliable methods for long-term preservation of virulence...
- Isothermal desiccation and vitrification kinetics of trehalose-dextran solutions
Center for Engineering in Medicine and Department of Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Shriners Hospital for Children, 51 Blossom Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Langmuir 20:5521-9. 2004
- Evaluation of Microsporum canis in different methods of storage
R S N Brilhante
School of Veterinary Medicine, Post Graduation Program in Veterinary Science, State University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Brazil
Med Mycol 42:499-504. 2004
..canis isolate maintained should be held in at least two methods of storage, namely, PDA at -20 degrees C and saline with a mineral-oil layer at 25 degrees C...
- Solid-state protein formulation: methodologies, stability, and excipient effects
Yuh Fun Maa
ALZA Corporation, Mountain View, CA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 308:265-85. 2005
- [Possibility to use the lyophilization for the prolongation of the stability of biological compounds used in cosmetic production]
Katedra Ochrony Srodowiska PR w Radomiu
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 58:169-77. 2006
..A proper structure and good dissolubility of the lyophilizated of preparation were obtained for 5%, 10% and 20% hydrolisate and for of the maximum kinematical viscosity 2923 mm2/s...
- Stability of adenosine deaminase during transportation
Kent D Miller
Diagnostic Ventures Inc, Daytona Beach, FL, USA
Chest 126:1933-7. 2004
..The purpose of the present study was to identify, test, and optimize additives that stabilize ADA, consequently eliminating the need for dry ice or other cold specimen transport media...
- The effects of storage conditions on viability of Clostridium difficile vegetative cells and spores and toxin activity in human faeces
Department of Microbiology, University of Leeds and The General Infirmary, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Clin Pathol 56:126-8. 2003
..This study investigated the effects of storage conditions upon the viability of this organism and its toxin...
- Physical characteristics of Vivostat patient-derived sealant. Implications for clinical use
J L Velada
ConvaTec Advanced Technology Development, Deeside, UK
Eur Surg Res 33:399-404. 2001
..These physical characteristics of Vivostat patient-derived sealant suggest that it may have suitable stability and performance characteristics for use in a wide range of surgical procedures...
- Evidence for the presence of a threshold weight for entering diapause in the yellow-spotted longicorn beetle, Psacothea hilaris
Florence N Munyiri
Laboratory of Applied Entomology, Department of Agricultural and Environmental Biology, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Yayoi 1 1 1, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
J Insect Physiol 50:295-301. 2004
..This finding suggests the presence of a threshold weight (about 600 mg), below which larvae are incapable of entering diapause. We discuss these findings with reference to the life history of P. hilaris...
- Reproducibility of the mechanical properties of Vivostat system patient-derived fibrin sealant
Jose L Velada
ConvaTec, Advanced Technology Development, Deeside, UK
Biomaterials 23:2249-54. 2002
..6% CV; Young's modulus 12.0 +/- 1.0 kPa, 16.6% CV. In the clinical setting this reproducibility provides the surgeon with a patient-derived fibrin sealant that can be expected to perform similarly from patient to patient...
- Influence of pH, buffer species, and storage temperature on physicochemical stability of a humanized monoclonal antibody LA298
Jack Y Zheng
Pharmaceutical Sciences R and D, Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Int J Pharm 308:46-51. 2006
..Less decrease in monomeric LA298 was observed in citrate buffer, pH 5.0-5.5. In conclusion, to minimize deamidation and loss of LA298 monomer, it is important to optimize its solution pH, buffer species, and storage temperature...
- Effect of pre-incubation storage conditions on hatchability, chick weight at hatch and hatching time in broiler breeders
Department of Anatomy and Histology, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Br Poult Sci 43:374-83. 2002
..6. Hatchability (all eggs set and fertile eggs) was higher in line A than in line B. Line B eggs hatched later and produced heavier chicks than line A eggs irrespective of storage time...
- Effect of storage method on spore viability in five globally threatened fern species
Luis G Quintanilla
Departamento de Biología Vegetal I, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad Complutense, Ciudad Universitaria, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Ann Bot 90:461-7. 2002
..Dry storage, which has lower preparation time and space requirements than wet storage, was generally more effective at the lower temperatures (-20 or 5 degrees C)...
- Characteristics of protectant synthesis of infective juveniles of Steinernema carpocapsae and importance of glycerol as a protectant for survival of the nematodes during osmotic dehydration
The State Key Lab for Biocontrol, Zhongshan University, 510275, Guangzhou, PR China
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 131:757-65. 2002
..The results indicate that each of the protectants glycerol and trehalose has a specific function and neither is replaceable by the other...
- Effect of temperature on long-term storage of codling moth granulovirus formulations
Lawrence A Lacey
Yakima Agricultural Research Laboratory, USDA ARS, 5230 Konnowac Pass Road, Wapato, WA 98951, USA
J Econ Entomol 101:288-94. 2008
..The information reported in this study should be useful to growers and commercial suppliers for avoiding decreases in CpGV potency due to improper storage conditions...
- Sexual reproduction in subcultures of Absidia blakesleeana after years of preservation under mineral oil
Manoel J S Santos
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz IOC FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rev Iberoam Micol 22:174-6. 2005
..Zygospores belonging to Subgenus Mycocladus were observed. The results demonstrated conservation and re-establishment of the physiological and genetic metabolic processes of two subcultures preserved under mineral oil...
- Prestorage incubation of long-term stored broiler breeder eggs: 1. Effects on hatchability
G M Fasenko
Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Poult Sci 80:1406-11. 2001
- [The stability of progesterone in feces of different wild animal species kept in a zoological garden]
Veterinär Physiologisch Chemisches Institut, Leipzig
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 109:245-9. 2002
- The effect of paraformaldehyde fixation and PBS storage on the water content of the human lens
Robert C Augusteyn
Vision Cooperative Research Centre, Sydney, Australia and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, La Trobe University, Bundoora Australia
Mol Vis 14:90-4. 2008
..It is assumed that this does not alter the properties being examined. The present study was undertaken to determine the effects of fixation and PBS storage on the human lens wet weight...
- Immobilization in alginate as a technique for the preservation of Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis for long-term preservation
Vector Control Research Centre Indian Council of Medical Research Indira Nagar, Puducherry, India
J Microbiol Methods 72:91-4. 2008
..The alginate matrix immobilization technique has many advantages over free cells are that they enhance the stability of both spores and toxin against several physicochemical conditions and confer reduced susceptibility to contamination...
- Cryovial with partial membrane sealing can prevent liquid nitrogen penetration in submerged storage
Hsin I Chen
Bioresource Collection and Research Center, Food Industry Research and Development Institute, Hsinchu 30062, Taiwan
Cryobiology 53:283-7. 2006
..This modified protocol provides an easy and efficient tool to ensure the integrity of biospecimens in long-term storage without interfering with existing cryobox storage systems...
- Evaluation of phenotypic and genotypic alterations induced by long periods of subculturing of Cryptococcus neoformans strains
Sonia Cristina Cavalcante
Laboratorio de Micologia Medica, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:41-7. 2007
..This selection can affect the survival and purity of the cultures, and preserve the stability of their physiological, biochemical, and genetic characteristics...
- [Effect of various storage methods on the viability of myxobacteria]
E L Rakhimova
I.I. Mechnikov Odessa State University, Department of Microbiology and Virology, 2 Dvoryanskaya St, Odessa, 65026, Ukraine
Mikrobiol Z 63:3-8. 2001
..Strain P. cellulosum preserves viability for two years when stored in liquid nitrogen and in suspensions on distilled water and physiological solution...
- Spot urine analysis: acidification does not increase calcium recovery
Department of Core Clinical Pathology and Biochemistry, Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia, Australia
Ann Clin Biochem 39:64-5. 2002
..We investigated the effects of acidification and storage on calcium recovery in spot urine samples...
- Antimicrobial activity of enterocin EJ97 against 'Bacillus macroides/Bacillus maroccanus' isolated from zucchini purée
Ma T García
Departamento de Ciencias de la Salud, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Universidad de Jaen, Jaen, Spain
J Appl Microbiol 97:731-7. 2004
..Activity of the bacteriocin EJ97 produced by Enterococcus faecalis EJ97 against strains of 'Bacillus macroides/B. maroccanus' isolated from spoiled zucchini purée was investigated...
- Effect of sucrose and maltodextrin on the physical properties and survival of air-dried Lactobacillus bulgaricus: an in situ fourier transform infrared spectroscopy study
Laboratoire de Génie et Microbiologie des Procédés Alimentaires, Centre de Biotechnologie Agro Industrielles, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Institut National Agronomique Paris Grignon, F78850 Thiverval Grignon, France
Biotechnol Prog 21:885-92. 2005
- AA protein in experimental murine AA amyloid fibrils: a high resolution ultrastructural and immunohistochemical study comparing aldehyde-fixed and cryofixed tissues
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Amyloid 9:115-25. 2002
..of AA protein is likely to be that in its native state, given the ability of these advanced methods of biological preservation to retain structures close to that of the living state...
- Double fossilization in eukaryotic microorganisms from Lower Cretaceous amber
Departamento de Microbiologia III, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
BMC Biol 7:9. 2009
..Entrapping in amber, a fossilized resin, is considered an alternative mode of biological preservation. For the first time, the internal organization of 114-million-year-old microfossils entrapped in Lower ..
- Depressed biofilm production in Bacillus amyloliquefaciens C06 causes γ-polyglutamic acid (γ-PGA) overproduction
Department of Plant Pathology, College of Plant Protection, Key Laboratory of Monitoring and Management of Crop Diseases and Pest Insects, Ministry of Agriculture, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, 210095, People s Republic of China
Curr Microbiol 62:235-41. 2011
Bacillus amyloliquefaciens C06, a potential agent in biological preservation of post-harvest fruit, was found to secrete extra-cellular γ-polyglutamic acid (γ-PGA) in liquid culture. In this work, M306, a transposon mutant of B...
- Biological preservation of plant derived animal feed with antifungal microorganisms: safety and formulation aspects
Department of Microbiology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7025, Uppsala, 750 07, Sweden
Biotechnol Lett 29:1147-54. 2007
..These aspects are discussed and a recommendation of this review is that both safety and formulation aspects of a specific microbe should be considered at an early stage in the selection of new organisms with biopreservation potential...
- The use of free vascularized fibular grafts in skeletal reconstruction for bone tumors in children
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 15:577-87. 2007
..Specific techniques are applied in the upper and lower extremity to provide long-term excellent functional results. Experience in microvascular surgery and careful postoperative care are required for the success of these procedures...
- Federal court says university is custodian of biospecimens
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:953. 2006
- Damage of cell envelope of Lactobacillus helveticus during vacuum drying
Central Institute for Food and Nutrition Research ZIEL, Section Food Process Engineering, Technische Universitat Munchen, Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
J Appl Microbiol 102:748-56. 2007
..The aim of this study was to gain insight into the inactivation mechanisms of Lactobacillus helveticus during vacuum drying...
- Recovery of tobacco BY-2 cells after high hydrostatic pressure treatment
Department of Material Science, Wakayama National College of Technology, Noshima, Gobo, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1189:139-42. 2010
..Furthermore, almost all of the BY-2 cells treated at 5 degrees C and 25 degrees C recovered pressures below 25 MPa and 75 MPa, respectively. However, no BY-2 cells recovered at pressures above 100 MPa at either temperature...
- Chemotrophic microbial mats and their potential for preservation in the rock record
Jake V Bailey
Division of Geological and Planetary Sciences, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
Astrobiology 9:843-59. 2009
..Chemotrophic microbes on Earth occupy naturally occurring interfaces between oxidized and reduced chemical species and thus may provide a new set of search criteria to target life-detection efforts on other planets...
- Gut wash, body soak, blender and heat-fixation: approaches to the effective collection, fixation and preservation of trematodes of fishes
Thomas H Cribb
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, 4072, Australia
Syst Parasitol 76:1-7. 2010
..Preservation for morphological study is best in formalin or alcohol, and alcohol works well for molecular samples. The importance of reliable labelling and the deposition of specimens in museums is emphasised...
- Human anatomy: the common denominator
Rod J Rohrich
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:1941-2. 2007
- Effect of storage temperatures on the stability of cytokines in cervical mucous
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Viral Exanthems and Herpesvirus Branch, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Cytokine 37:176-9. 2007
..The results suggest that refrigeration of mucous samples immediately after collection would allow for better conservation of the cytokines in cervical mucous...
- Urinary proteases degrade albumin: implications for measurement of albuminuria in stored samples
School of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands
Ann Clin Biochem 47:151-7. 2010
..Furthermore, the high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) assay for urinary albumin has been shown to be particularly susceptible to the effects of prolonged storage...
- The body as interactive display: examining bodies in a public exhibition
Dirk vom Lehn
Work, Interaction and Technology Research Group, King s College London, UK
Sociol Health Illn 28:223-51. 2006
..The paper concludes with a discussion of how the observations and findings from the analysis bear upon debates on Body Worlds and in the sociology of health and illness...
- [Collection and preservation of the pleural fluid and pleural biopsy]
Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
J Bras Pneumol 32:S163-9. 2006
..Equally, fragments of pleura biopsy obtained for the differential diagnosis of the exudates should be collected in a systematic way in order to optimize the diagnosis and facilitate the institution of appropriate therapeutics actions...
- Stabilizing the urinary activity of fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase with EDTA and mercaptoethanol
Department of Biochemistry and Experimental Medicine, Children s Memorial Health Institute, Warsaw, Poland
Clin Biochem 42:1487-9. 2009
..The study aim was to establish conditions for stabilization the activity of fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase (FBP-1) in stored urine...
- Protective effect of PEG 35,000 Da on renal cells: paradoxical activation of JNK signaling pathway during cold storage
Inserm E0324, Poitiers, France
Am J Transplant 6:1529-40. 2006
..This sheds a new light on PEG effects during cell preservation, independently from the classical immuno-camouflaging hypothesis...
- Operating behind Denonvilliers' fascia for reliable preservation of urogenital autonomic nerves in total mesorectal excision: a histologic study using cadaveric specimens, including a surgical experiment using fresh cadaveric models
Department of Surgical Oncology, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Dis Colon Rectum 49:1024-32. 2006
..Little is known about which urogenital nerves are liable to be injured along surgical planes in front of or behind Denonvilliers' fascia...
- Mammalian reoviruses: propagation, quantification, and storage
University of Manitoba and Manitoba Centre for Proteomics and Systems Biology, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Curr Protoc Microbiol . 2009
..In addition, mammalian reovirus propagation, quantification, purification, and storage are described...
- A comparison of methods for total community DNA preservation and extraction from various thermal environments
Kendra R Mitchell
Department of Biology, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM, USA
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 35:1139-47. 2008
..However, the sucrose lysis buffer preserved samples extracted by the CTAB method were 15-43% more diverse than the other treatments...
- Factors affecting recovery of Strongyloides stercoralis larvae: an approach to a newly modified formalin-ether concentration technique for diagnosis of strongyloidiasis
Department of Medical Technology, School of Allied Health Sciences and Public Health, Walailak University, Thasala, Nakhon Si Thammarat 80160, Thailand
J Clin Microbiol 48:97-100. 2010
..FECT 5 is a modified FECT method, whose modifications included using fresh stool without a preservative substance; a short-time rather than 10-min formalin exposure; and the use of wire mesh instead of gauze...
- Preservation of micro-organisms by drying; a review
C A Morgan
BTF Pty Ltd, PO Box 599, North Ryde BC, NSW 1670, Australia
J Microbiol Methods 66:183-93. 2006
..Also, particular attention has been paid to the use of freeze drying and the protective matrices used to improve microbial cell viability after drying...
- Shedding of procoagulant microparticles from unstimulated platelets by integrin-mediated destabilization of actin cytoskeleton
Department of Biochemistry, CARIM, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 580:5313-20. 2006
..After transfusion of stored platelet preparations to thrombocytopenic patients, the microparticles contribute to coagulant activity in vivo...
- Biorepositories: let's not lose what we have so carefully gathered!
Gary E Goodman
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15:599-601. 2006
- Survivability and long-term preservation of bacteria in water and in phosphate-buffered saline
C H Liao
Food Safety Intervention Technologies Research Unit, US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Eastern Regional Research Center, Wyndmoor, PA 19038, USA
Lett Appl Microbiol 37:45-50. 2003
..To evaluate the suitability of using sterile water and phosphate-buffered saline (PBS) for preservation of bacteria pathogenic to plants or humans...
- [Pharmacy Department standard procedures for clinical trial development]
C Pérez Peiró
Servicio de Farmacia, Hospital Universitario Doctor Peset, Valencia
Farm Hosp 28:36-47. 2004
..These procedures must indicate precisely each one of the processes involved in their development, e.g. the reception, custody, storage, preparation and dispensing of research samples...
- The possible influence of micro-organisms and putrefaction in the production of GHB in post-mortem biological fluid
Regional Laboratory for Toxicology, City Hospital, Dudley Road, Birmingham B18 7QH, UK
Forensic Sci Int 139:183-90. 2004
..Although this concentration is lower than is typically associated with "endogenous" post-mortem GHB concentrations, this paper proposes a potential microbial production of GHB with time...
- Detection of chromosome ends by telomere FISH
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Genetics, Berlin, Germany
Methods Mol Biol 191:13-31. 2002
- Storage and translational issues in reparative medicine: breakout session summary
Jeffrey D Kocsis
Neuroscience Research Center, Yale University School of Medicine, West Haven, CT, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 961:276-8. 2002
- Intracellular delivery of trehalose into mammalian cells by electropermeabilization
Lehrstuhl fur Biotechnologie, Biozentrum der Universität Würzburg, Am Hubland, D 97074 Wurzburg, Germany
J Membr Biol 189:45-54. 2002
- Evaluation of the in vitro and in vivo dimorphism of Sporothrix schenckii, Blastomyces dermatitidis, and Paracoccidioides brasiliensis isolates after preservation in mineral oil
Renata Ferretti de Lima
Departamento de Micologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Can J Microbiol 50:445-9. 2004
..The present results demonstrate that B. dermatitidis and P. brasiliensis strains were unable to complete the dimorphic process even after in vivo passage, in contrast to the S. schenckii strain...
- [Effect of carbohydrate composition of the cytosol of Aspergillus niger conidia on their viability during storage]
V M Tereshina
Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol 40:527-32. 2004
..The data obtained are discussed in regard to the biochemical criteria that may be used to characterize quiescent state of fungi and retaining the viability of the inoculum...
- Culture collections in the twenty-first century
CABI Bioscience UK Centre, Surrey, UK
Biologist (London) 48:125-8. 2001
..The expertise that drives these collections is under threat, but the collections themselves may survive by pooling their knowledge...
- Biosamples, genomics, and human rights: context and content of Iceland's Biobanks Act
D E Winickoff
Harvard Law School, USA
J Biolaw Bus 4:11-7. 2001
..Inadequacies in the Act's legislative process help account for these deficiencies in the protection of donor autonomy...
- A matter of time: evaluating the storage of fecal samples for steroid analysis
M Z Khan
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 128:57-64. 2002
..We discuss explanations for the dynamic pattern of changing fecal metabolite concentrations and offer practical and analytical guidance to field workers for situations in which ideal conditions for stabilizing hormones are not available...
- [Change of serological properties of museum strains of Shigella flexneri in different terms of storage]
N V Koltukova
Mikrobiol Z 67:15-21. 2005
..Some strains lost antigens as a result of the long-term preservation or reinoculation on agar media...
- Collecting, shipping, storing, and imaging snow crystals and ice grains with low-temperature scanning electron microscopy
Eric F Erbe
Henry Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, USDA ARS, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
Microsc Res Tech 62:19-32. 2003
..This study presents detailed descriptions of the procedures that have been used successfully in the field and the laboratory to collect, ship, store, and image snow crystals and ice grains...
- New data on the ultrastructure of the membrane of Mycobacterium leprae
M T Silva
Centro de Citologia Experimental da Universidade do Porto, Portugal
Int J Lepr Other Mycobact Dis 57:54-64. 1989
..Such a characteristic, which was not found in M. lepraemurium, M. aurum, M. avium, and M. tuberculosis H37Ra, must reflect a unique membrane molecular structure, which is presently unknown...
- Effects of protective agents on membrane fluidity of freeze-dried Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus
G I Martos
Centro de Referencia para Lactobacilos, CERELA, Chacabuco 145 4000 San Miguel de Tucumán, San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina
Lett Appl Microbiol 45:282-8. 2007
..To evaluate the effect of protective agents upon survival of Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus during freeze-drying and storage, and selective amino acids on cell membrane fluidity...
- Factors influencing the decision to use or discard cryopreserved embryos
A S Svanberg
Carl von Linné Kliniken, Uppsala Science Park, S 75183 Uppsala, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 80:849-55. 2001
..At the time of the study Swedish law stipulated that couples could keep their frozen embryos for a maximum of one year, with the possibility of an extension based on individual requests...
- Preservation of yeast cell morphology for scanning electron microscopy using 3.28-micro m IR laser irradiation
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
J Microbiol Methods 54:285-7. 2003
..28-micro m IR laser pulse. The morphology of the irradiated cells was well preserved, while nonirradiated control cells were severely shriveled...
- Energy saving system with high effluent quality for municipal sewage treatment by UASB-DHS
Technical Research and Development Division, Sanki Engineering Co, Ltd, 1742 7 Shimotsuruma, Yamato, Kanagawa 242 0001, Japan
Water Sci Technol 66:1186-94. 2012
..For the DHS, the cube-type medium G3-2 offers superior filling rates, biological preservation and operational execution...
- What a drop can do: dried blood spots as a minimally invasive method for integrating biomarkers into population-based research
Thomas W McDade
Northwestern University, Department of Anthropology and Cells to Society C2S The Center on Social Disparities and Health at the Institute for Policy Research, 1810 Hinman Avenue, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Demography 44:899-925. 2007
..Our objective is to provide investigators with the information they need to make informed decisions regarding the appropriateness of blood spot methods for their research interests...
- Nanoscale analysis of pyritized microfossils reveals differential heterotrophic consumption in the ~1.9-Ga Gunflint chert
Department of Earth Sciences and Centre for Geobiology, University of Bergen, N 5007 Bergen, Norway
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:8020-4. 2013
..This work also extends the record of remarkable biological preservation in pyrite back to the Paleoproterozoic and provides criteria to assess the authenticity of even older ..
- Viral nucleic acid stabilization by RNA extraction reagent
Jamie A Blow
Virology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Fort Detrick, MD 21702, USA
J Virol Methods 150:41-4. 2008
..When combined with the ability of buffer AVL to inactivate viral samples, this provides the ability to collect and handle potentially infectious samples in a safe way that also provides sample stabilization...
- Yeast cells with an artificial mineral shell: protection and modification of living cells by biomimetic mineralization
Center for Biomaterials and Biopathways, Department of Chemistry, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, 310027, China
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 47:3560-4. 2008
- Examination of edge effects with different storage conditions of preplated dimethyl sulfoxide nanospots in ChemLib 1,536- and 3,456-well assay-ready plates
Benjamin A Turner
Department of Assay Technologies, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Michigan Laboratories, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Assay Drug Dev Technol 6:811-8. 2008
- Strategies to improve the antigenicity, ultrastructure preservation and visibility of trafficking compartments in Arabidopsis tissue
York Dieter Stierhof
Center for Plant Molecular Biology ZMBP, Microscopy, University of Tubingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 5, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Eur J Cell Biol 89:285-97. 2010
..We also discuss possibilities to improve membrane contrast, e.g., of transport vesicles like COPI, COPII and clathrin-coated vesicles, and of compartments of endosomal trafficking like the trans-Golgi network...
- Rudaea cellulosilytica gen. nov., sp. nov., isolated from soil
Hang Yeon Weon
Mushroom Research Division, National Institute of Horticultural and Medicinal Crop, Rural Development Administration RDA, Suwon 441 707, Republic of Korea
Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 59:2308-12. 2009
..nov., sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain of Rudaea cellulosilytica is KIS3-4T (=KACC 12734T=JCM 15422T)...
- [Assessment of factors causing pre-analytic variabililty]
Laboratorio di Igiene Industriale, Fondazione Clinica del Lavoro, Pavia
Ann Ist Super Sanita 31:225-32. 1995
..Operative procedures for the collection and storage of biological samples, specifically designed in dependence of analyte and matrix type, are reported...