- [Effect of different storage methods on the viability of Halobacterium salinarum]
T M Holovach
Institute of Microbiology and Virology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 154 Zabolotny St, Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Mikrobiol Z 64:6-11. 2002
..Other long-term storage methods: L-drying, freezing at low temperatures, are not recommended for halobacteria...
- Logistics and quality control for DNA sampling in large multicenter studies
R J Nederhand
Gaubius Laboratory, TNO Prevention and Health, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Thromb Haemost 1:987-91. 2003
..From these results we conclude that transport of non-frozen blood by ordinary mail is usable and practical for DNA isolation for polymerase chain reaction in clinical and epidemiological studies...
- Effects of storage conditions of Moringa oleifera seeds on its performance in coagulation
Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor
Bioresour Technol 97:1455-60. 2006
..In addition, Moringa oleifera can be used as a potential coagulant especially for very high turbidity water...
- Fecal collection, ambient preservation, and DNA extraction for PCR amplification of bacterial and human markers from human feces
Jordan M Nechvatal
Department of Physiology, Wayne State University, 540 E Canfield Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Microbiol Methods 72:124-32. 2008
..Thus, fecal DNA is well preserved by methods suitable for self-collection that may be useful in future molecular epidemiological studies of intestinal bacteria and human cancer markers...
- The UK Biobank sample handling and storage validation studies
Tim C Peakman
UK Biobank, Spectrum Way, Adswood, Stockport, Cheshire SK3 0SA, UK
Int J Epidemiol 37:i2-6. 2008
..A series of validation studies was recommended to test the robustness of the draft sample handling and storage protocol...
- Comment on "Whole-genome shotgun sequencing of mitochondria from ancient hair shafts"
McMaster Ancient DNA Centre, Department of Anthropology, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton L8S 4L9, ON, Canada
Science 322:857; author reply 857. 2008
..quot; When experimental parameters are carefully controlled for, including adequate sampling, quantitative polymerase chain reaction analysis, and modeling the decay of DNA, the general importance of this claim is not supported...
- Whole-genome shotgun sequencing of mitochondria from ancient hair shafts
M Thomas P Gilbert
Centre for Ancient Genetics, University of Copenhagen, Universitetsparken 15, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Science 317:1927-30. 2007
..The method therefore sets the stage for molecular-genetic analysis of museum collections...
- Virulence stability in Flavobacterium psychrophilum after storage and preservation according to different procedures
Institut National de Recherche Agronomique, Unité de Virologie et d Immunologie Moléculaires, Centre de Recherches de Jouy en Josas, 78352 Jouy en Josas Cedex, France
Vet Res 34:127-32. 2003
..psychrophilum were likely to retain their properties without special provisions within limited periods of time, and that both lyophilisation and freezing at -80 degrees C were reliable methods for long-term preservation of virulence...
- Storage and translational issues in reparative medicine
Center for Engineering in Medicine and Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 961:258-62. 2002
- Cryopreservation of starfish oocytes
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics Bosphorus University Bebek 80815 Istanbul, Turkey
Cryobiology 50:38-47. 2005
..These data suggests that successful cryopreservation of starfish oocytes is possible, but will need further refinement to increase the numbers of fully competent embryos...
- A matter of time: evaluating the storage of fecal samples for steroid analysis
M Z Khan
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 128:57-64. 2002
..We discuss explanations for the dynamic pattern of changing fecal metabolite concentrations and offer practical and analytical guidance to field workers for situations in which ideal conditions for stabilizing hormones are not available...
- Subnormothermic preservation maintains viability and function in a porcine hepatocyte culture model simulating bioreactor transport
M P van de Kerkhove
Department of Surgery (Surgical Laboratory, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Cell Transplant 15:161-8. 2006
..Future research will focus on the implementation of the AMC-BAL in an oxygenated culture medium perfusion system for transport between the laboratory and the hospital...
- Prevention of cold-preservation injury of cultured endothelial cells by catecholamines and related compounds
V Medizinische Universitätsklinik, Clinical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Am J Transplant 4:22-30. 2004
..In conclusion we have demonstrated that catecholamines protect cells against preservation injury either by scavenging of ROS or by inhibition of ROS production...
- Changes in soluble carbohydrates during storage of Caesalpinia echinata LAM. (Brazilwood) seeds, an endangered leguminous tree from the Brazilian Atlantic Forest
I S Garcia
, CP 4005, CEP 01061-970, , SP, Brazil
Braz J Biol 66:739-45. 2006
..Sucrose contents remained relatively stable. Changes in soluble sugars during storage suggest that the loss of germinability of seeds of C. echinata could be associated with low levels of glucose and fructose in relation to sucrose...
- Ameliorating injury during preservation and isolation of human islets using the two-layer method with perfluorocarbon and UW solution
Surgical-Medical Research Institute, Department of Surgery, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Cell Transplant 15:187-94. 2006
- In vitro maturation and fertilization of buffalo oocytes: effects of storage of ovaries, IVM temperatures, storage of processed sperm and fertilization media
B M Ravindranatha
University of Agricultural Sciences, Hebbal, Bangalore, India
Reprod Domest Anim 38:21-6. 2003
..05) decreased its ability to cleave the oocytes. Sperm processed in BO medium had significantly (p < 0.05) higher ability to cleave the oocytes than the H-TALP medium...
- Water and lipid relations in beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) seeds and its effect on storage behaviour
Institute of Dendrology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Parkowa 5, PL 62 035, Kornik, Poland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1621:48-56. 2003
..5 kJ/mol for 28% H(2)O and E(a)=4.7 kJ/mol for 8% H(2)O or less. The optimal storage conditions of beech seeds are proposed in the range from 255 K for 15% H(2)O to 280 K for 9% H(2)O...
- Evaluation of methods for duration of preservation of RNA quality in rat liver used for transcriptome analysis
Toxicogenomics Project, National Institute of Biomedical Innovation, Ibaraki, Osaka, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 31:509-19. 2006
- Isothermal desiccation and vitrification kinetics of trehalose-dextran solutions
Center for Engineering in Medicine and Department of Surgical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Shriners Hospital for Children, 51 Blossom Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Langmuir 20:5521-9. 2004
- Raman microscopy of freeze-dried mouse eyeball-slice in conjunction with the "in vivo cryotechnique"
Department of Anatomy, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering, University of Yamanashi, Chuo City, Yamanashi 409 3898, Japan
Microsc Res Tech 70:634-9. 2007
- Strategies for the storage of Ancylostoma caninum third-stage larvae
S R Kopp
School of Veterinary Science, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
J Parasitol 94:755-6. 2008
..Motility and migratory ability of cryopreserved larvae was only significantly higher (P < 0.01) than room temperature-stored larvae from 4 and 5 mo onward, respectively...
- Viral nucleic acid stabilization by RNA extraction reagent
Jamie A Blow
Virology Division, United States Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, 1425 Porter Street, Fort Detrick, MD 21702, USA
J Virol Methods 150:41-4. 2008
..When combined with the ability of buffer AVL to inactivate viral samples, this provides the ability to collect and handle potentially infectious samples in a safe way that also provides sample stabilization...
- Optimisation and comparison of liquid and dry formulations of the biocontrol yeast Pichia anomala J121
Department of Microbiology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7027, SE 750 07, Uppsala, Sweden
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 73:1008-16. 2007
..Using micro-silos we found that the biocontrol activity remained intact after drying, storage and rehydration for all formulations...
- Production of offspring from one-day-old oocytes stored at room temperature
Laboratory for Genomic Reprogramming, Center for Developmental Biology, RIKEN, Kobe, Japan
J Reprod Dev 50:627-37. 2004
..However, since at least a few percent of stored oocytes retained the potential for full-term development, it may be possible to overcome these problems and develop a simple method for preserving mammalian oocytes without freezing...
- Lung preservation: pulmonary flush route affects bronchial mucosal temperature and expression of IFN-gamma and Gro in regional lymph nodes
David W Roe
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Am J Transplant 5:995-1001. 2005
..These data suggest that pulmonary flush via AG/BA during donor harvest may be optimal to decrease the risk of early graft failure...
- Global voices of science. Protector of the seeds: seminal reflections from southern Africa
Department of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa
Science 307:47-9. 2005
- Stability of intact parathyroid hormone in samples from hemodialysis patients
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital of Liege, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Kidney Int 72:370-2. 2007
..If the lab services general practitioners and/or several hospitals and has a continuous flow of samples, EDTA-treated samples stored at room temperature are the best...
- Biopreservation of red blood cells: past, present, and future
Kirby L Scott
Canadian Blood Services, Research and Development, and Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta, Edmonton
Transfus Med Rev 19:127-42. 2005
..This paper will review the history, science, current practices, and emerging technologies of current RBC biopreservation approaches: hypothermic storage, cryopreservation, and lyophilization...
- Fibres as carriers for Lactobacillus rhamnosus during freeze-drying and storage in apple juice and chocolate-coated breakfast cereals
VTT, Biotechnology, P O Box 1000 Tietotie 2, FI 02044 VTT, Finland
Int J Food Microbiol 112:171-8. 2006
..Regardless of their differing capability to adhere to fibre preparations the two L. rhamnosus strains studied gave parallel results in the stability studies with different carriers...
- Evaluation of Microsporum canis in different methods of storage
R S N Brilhante
School of Veterinary Medicine, Post Graduation Program in Veterinary Science, State University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Brazil
Med Mycol 42:499-504. 2004
..canis isolate maintained should be held in at least two methods of storage, namely, PDA at -20 degrees C and saline with a mineral-oil layer at 25 degrees C...
- Solid-state protein formulation: methodologies, stability, and excipient effects
ALZA Corporation, Mountain View, CA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 308:265-85. 2005
- [Possibility to use the lyophilization for the prolongation of the stability of biological compounds used in cosmetic production]
Katedra Ochrony Srodowiska PR w Radomiu
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 58:169-77. 2006
..A proper structure and good dissolubility of the lyophilizated of preparation were obtained for 5%, 10% and 20% hydrolisate and for of the maximum kinematical viscosity 2923 mm2/s...
- Preservation of micro-organisms by drying; a review
C A Morgan
BTF Pty Ltd, PO Box 599, North Ryde BC, NSW 1670, Australia
J Microbiol Methods 66:183-93. 2006
..Also, particular attention has been paid to the use of freeze drying and the protective matrices used to improve microbial cell viability after drying...
- Stability of adenosine deaminase during transportation
Kent D Miller
Diagnostic Ventures Inc, Daytona Beach, FL, USA
Chest 126:1933-7. 2004
..Employment of those agents will decrease the cost of the test and facilitate its use in second- and third-world countries...
- The effects of storage conditions on viability of Clostridium difficile vegetative cells and spores and toxin activity in human faeces
Department of Microbiology, University of Leeds and The General Infirmary, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Clin Pathol 56:126-8. 2003
..However, storage at -20 degrees C has a detrimental effect upon C difficile cytotoxin, and multiple cycles of freezing and thawing may further adversely effect toxin titres...
- Physical characteristics of Vivostat patient-derived sealant. Implications for clinical use
J L Velada
ConvaTec Advanced Technology Development, Deeside, UK
Eur Surg Res 33:399-404. 2001
..These physical characteristics of Vivostat patient-derived sealant suggest that it may have suitable stability and performance characteristics for use in a wide range of surgical procedures...
- Evidence for the presence of a threshold weight for entering diapause in the yellow-spotted longicorn beetle, Psacothea hilaris
Florence N Munyiri
Laboratory of Applied Entomology, Department of Agricultural and Environmental Biology, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Yayoi 1-1-1, Tokyo 113-8657, Japan
J Insect Physiol 50:295-301. 2004
..This finding suggests the presence of a threshold weight (about 600 mg), below which larvae are incapable of entering diapause. We discuss these findings with reference to the life history of P. hilaris...
- Influence of pH, buffer species, and storage temperature on physicochemical stability of a humanized monoclonal antibody LA298
Jack Y Zheng
Pharmaceutical Sciences R and D, Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Int J Pharm 308:46-51. 2006
..Less decrease in monomeric LA298 was observed in citrate buffer, pH 5.0-5.5. In conclusion, to minimize deamidation and loss of LA298 monomer, it is important to optimize its solution pH, buffer species, and storage temperature...
- Reproducibility of the mechanical properties of Vivostat system patient-derived fibrin sealant
Jose L Velada
ConvaTec, Advanced Technology Development, Deeside, UK
Biomaterials 23:2249-54. 2002
..6% CV; Young's modulus 12.0 +/- 1.0 kPa, 16.6% CV. In the clinical setting this reproducibility provides the surgeon with a patient-derived fibrin sealant that can be expected to perform similarly from patient to patient...
- Effect of pre-incubation storage conditions on hatchability, chick weight at hatch and hatching time in broiler breeders
Department of Anatomy and Histology, Flinders University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Br Poult Sci 43:374-83. 2002
..6. Hatchability (all eggs set and fertile eggs) was higher in line A than in line B. Line B eggs hatched later and produced heavier chicks than line A eggs irrespective of storage time...
- Characteristics of protectant synthesis of infective juveniles of Steinernema carpocapsae and importance of glycerol as a protectant for survival of the nematodes during osmotic dehydration
The State Key Lab for Biocontrol, Zhongshan University, 510275, Guangzhou, PR China
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol 131:757-65. 2002
..The results indicate that each of the protectants glycerol and trehalose has a specific function and neither is replaceable by the other...
- Effect of storage method on spore viability in five globally threatened fern species
Luis G Quintanilla
Departamento de Biología Vegetal I, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad Complutense, Ciudad Universitaria, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Ann Bot 90:461-7. 2002
..Dry storage, which has lower preparation time and space requirements than wet storage, was generally more effective at the lower temperatures (-20 or 5 degrees C)...
- Effect of temperature on long-term storage of codling moth granulovirus formulations
Lawrence A Lacey
Yakima Agricultural Research Laboratory, USDA ARS, 5230 Konnowac Pass Road, Wapato, WA 98951, USA
J Econ Entomol 101:288-94. 2008
..The information reported in this study should be useful to growers and commercial suppliers for avoiding decreases in CpGV potency due to improper storage conditions...
- Sexual reproduction in subcultures of Absidia blakesleeana after years of preservation under mineral oil
Manoel J S Santos
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz IOC FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rev Iberoam Micol 22:174-6. 2005
..Zygospores belonging to Subgenus Mycocladus were observed. The results demonstrated conservation and re-establishment of the physiological and genetic metabolic processes of two subcultures preserved under mineral oil...
- Prestorage incubation of long-term stored broiler breeder eggs: 1. Effects on hatchability
G M Fasenko
Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Poult Sci 80:1406-11. 2001
- [The stability of progesterone in feces of different wild animal species kept in a zoological garden]
Veterinär Physiologisch Chemisches Institut, Leipzig
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 109:245-9. 2002
- The effect of paraformaldehyde fixation and PBS storage on the water content of the human lens
Robert C Augusteyn
Vision Cooperative Research Centre, Sydney, Australia and Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, La Trobe University, Bundoora Australia
Mol Vis 14:90-4. 2008
..It is assumed that this does not alter the properties being examined. The present study was undertaken to determine the effects of fixation and PBS storage on the human lens wet weight...
- Immobilization in alginate as a technique for the preservation of Bacillus thuringiensis var. israelensis for long-term preservation
Vector Control Research Centre Indian Council of Medical Research Indira Nagar, Puducherry, India
J Microbiol Methods 72:91-4. 2008
..The alginate matrix immobilization technique has many advantages over free cells are that they enhance the stability of both spores and toxin against several physicochemical conditions and confer reduced susceptibility to contamination...
- Cryovial with partial membrane sealing can prevent liquid nitrogen penetration in submerged storage
Bioresource Collection and Research Center, Food Industry Research and Development Institute, Hsinchu 30062, Taiwan
Cryobiology 53:283-7. 2006
..This modified protocol provides an easy and efficient tool to ensure the integrity of biospecimens in long-term storage without interfering with existing cryobox storage systems...
- Evaluation of phenotypic and genotypic alterations induced by long periods of subculturing of Cryptococcus neoformans strains
Sonia Cristina Cavalcante
Laboratorio de Micologia Medica, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 102:41-7. 2007
..This selection can affect the survival and purity of the cultures, and preserve the stability of their physiological, biochemical, and genetic characteristics...
- [Effect of various storage methods on the viability of myxobacteria]
E L Rakhimova
I.I. Mechnikov Odessa State University, Department of Microbiology and Virology, 2 Dvoryanskaya St, Odessa, 65026, Ukraine
Mikrobiol Z 63:3-8. 2001
..Strain P. cellulosum preserves viability for two years when stored in liquid nitrogen and in suspensions on distilled water and physiological solution...
- [Change of serological properties of museum strains of Shigella flexneri in different terms of storage]
N V Koltukova
Mikrobiol Z 67:15-21. 2005
..Some strains lost antigens as a result of the long-term preservation or reinoculation on agar media...
- Spot urine analysis: acidification does not increase calcium recovery
Department of Core Clinical Pathology and Biochemistry, Royal Perth Hospital, Western Australia, Australia
Ann Clin Biochem 39:64-5. 2002
..CONCLUSIONS: The acidification of spot urine samples would thus appear to be unnecessary for calcium/creatinine measurements in metabolic bone disease if they were undertaken within at least 24 h...
- Antimicrobial activity of enterocin EJ97 against 'Bacillus macroides/Bacillus maroccanus' isolated from zucchini purée
Ma T García
Departamento de Ciencias de la Salud, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Universidad de Jaen, Jaen, Spain
J Appl Microbiol 97:731-7. 2004
..Activity of the bacteriocin EJ97 produced by Enterococcus faecalis EJ97 against strains of 'Bacillus macroides/B. maroccanus' isolated from spoiled zucchini purée was investigated...
- Effect of sucrose and maltodextrin on the physical properties and survival of air-dried Lactobacillus bulgaricus: an in situ fourier transform infrared spectroscopy study
Laboratoire de Génie et Microbiologie des Procédés Alimentaires, Centre de Biotechnologie Agro Industrielles, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Institut National Agronomique Paris Grignon, F78850 Thiverval Grignon, France
Biotechnol Prog 21:885-92. 2005
- Evaluation of the in vitro and in vivo dimorphism of Sporothrix schenckii, Blastomyces dermatitidis, and Paracoccidioides brasiliensis isolates after preservation in mineral oil
Renata Ferretti de Lima
Departamento de Micologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Can J Microbiol 50:445-9. 2004
..The present results demonstrate that B. dermatitidis and P. brasiliensis strains were unable to complete the dimorphic process even after in vivo passage, in contrast to the S. schenckii strain...
- AA protein in experimental murine AA amyloid fibrils: a high resolution ultrastructural and immunohistochemical study comparing aldehyde-fixed and cryofixed tissues
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Amyloid 9:115-25. 2002
..of AA protein is likely to be that in its native state, given the ability of these advanced methods of biological preservation to retain structures close to that of the living state...
- Double fossilization in eukaryotic microorganisms from Lower Cretaceous amber
Departamento de Microbiologia III, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
BMC Biol 7:9. 2009
..Entrapping in amber, a fossilized resin, is considered an alternative mode of biological preservation. For the first time, the internal organization of 114-million-year-old microfossils entrapped in Lower ..
- Biological preservation of plant derived animal feed with antifungal microorganisms: safety and formulation aspects
Department of Microbiology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P O Box 7025, Uppsala, 750 07, Sweden
Biotechnol Lett 29:1147-54. 2007
..These aspects are discussed and a recommendation of this review is that both safety and formulation aspects of a specific microbe should be considered at an early stage in the selection of new organisms with biopreservation potential...
- Depressed biofilm production in Bacillus amyloliquefaciens C06 causes γ-polyglutamic acid (γ-PGA) overproduction
Department of Plant Pathology, College of Plant Protection, Key Laboratory of Monitoring and Management of Crop Diseases and Pest Insects, Ministry of Agriculture, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, 210095, People s Republic of China
Curr Microbiol 62:235-41. 2011
Bacillus amyloliquefaciens C06, a potential agent in biological preservation of post-harvest fruit, was found to secrete extra-cellular γ-polyglutamic acid (γ-PGA) in liquid culture. In this work, M306, a transposon mutant of B...
- The use of free vascularized fibular grafts in skeletal reconstruction for bone tumors in children
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 15:577-87. 2007
..Specific techniques are applied in the upper and lower extremity to provide long-term excellent functional results. Experience in microvascular surgery and careful postoperative care are required for the success of these procedures...
- Assessment of the genotoxicity of three cryoprotectants used for human oocyte vitrification: dimethyl sulfoxide, ethylene glycol and propylene glycol
Laboratoire de Biogénotoxicologie et Mutagenèse Environnementale, Fédération de Recherche CNRS 3098 ECCOREV, Universite de la Mediterranee, Facultés de Médecine et Pharmacie, 27 Bd Jean Moulin, 13005 Marseille, France
Food Chem Toxicol 48:1905-12. 2010
..PrOH produced in vitro DNA-damage leading to chromosome mutations in the presence and absence of the S9 Mix. These results showed that high concentrations of EG and PrOH could induce in vitro chromosomal damage in eukaryotic cells...
- Methapyrilene is a genotoxic carcinogen: studies on methapyrilene and pyrilamine in the L5178Y/TK +/- mouse lymphoma assay
N T Turner
Wellcome Research Laboratories, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Mutat Res 189:285-97. 1987
..These studies fail to adequately explain the great carcinogenic differences between these two compounds, but are consistent with the potent hepatocarcinogenicity of MP resulting through a mutagenic mechanism...
- Effect of intraoperative manipulation and preservation on fascia temporalis used in tympanoplasty
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University La Sapienza Rome, Italy
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 47:11-6. 1993
..This finding could explain the reliability of homologous FT for the repair of tympanic membrane perforations...
- [Methods for preserving bacterial cultures]
M E Floccari
Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 30:42-51. 1998
..This paper provides a summary of the main features of various available methods with references to recent research and applications...
- Long-term storage and viability of Ochlerotatus albifasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae)
Raúl E Campos
Instituto de Limnología Dr Raúl A Ringuelet, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 103:115-7. 2008
- Growth on solid media
Clark and Elbing LLP, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Protoc Mol Biol . 2002
..Support protocols describe replica plating as well as methods for storing strains as agar stabs or frozen glycerol stocks...
- Empirical evaluation of preservation methods for faecal DNA
M A Frantzen
Department of Zoology and Entomology, University of Pretoria, South Africa
Mol Ecol 7:1423-8. 1998
..A review of molecular scatology studies further suggests that three to six faeces per individual should be collected...
- Protein inactivation in amorphous sucrose and trehalose matrices: effects of phase separation and crystallization
W Q Sun
School of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Biochim Biophys Acta 1425:235-44. 1998
- [Preserving the natural tooth versus extraction and implant placement: making a rational clinical decision]
Dept of Endodontology, The Maurice and Gabriela Goldschleger School of Dental Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim 27:37-46, 75. 2010
..The integration of these factors would assist the clinician to achieve a rational treatment plan for the benefit of the patient...
- The influence of aerated hydration seed treatment on seed longevity as assessed by the viability equations
A A Powell
Department of Agriculture, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB24 5UA, UK
J Exp Bot 51:2031-43. 2000
..Increases in the rate of germination (decreased mean germination time) observed after all AH and PEG treatments were not consistently associated with an increase in the proportion of nuclei containing 4C DNA...
- [The role of the pathological anatomy museum: past glory, present crisis, and future prospects]
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche ed Oncologia Umana, Universita di Torino, Via Santena 7, I 10126 Torino
Pathologica 93:196-200. 2001
..For all these reasons we propose the creation of renewed museum structures and a protocol for the restoration of the specimens, which are often damaged owing to time and negligence...
- WHO dissenter warns against plans to retain smallpox virus
BMJ 324:69. 2002
- Cryopreservation of infective-stage larvae of Brugia malayi
S H Wang
Guizhou Provincal Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Guiyang, People s Republic of China
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 18:488-90. 1987
..All DMSO should be removed from the freezing medium to restore larval activity after freezing...
- [Fixation, staining and preparation of permanent mounts of helminths]
Harran Universitesi Veteriner Fakültesi, Parazitoloji Anabilim Dali, Sanliurfa, Turkey
Turkiye Parazitol Derg 32:177-81. 2008
..In this review, the preparation of permanent mounts, relaxation, fixation and staining methods of helminths has been discussed...
- Vitrification of early-stage bovine and equine embryos
L F Campos-Chillon
Animal Reproduction and Biotechnology Laboratory, Foothills Campus, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523 1683, USA
Theriogenology 71:349-54. 2009
..In summary, a successful method was established for vitrification of early-stage bovine embryos, and this method was used to establish equine pregnancies after vitrification and warming of 2- to 8-cell embryos produced by ICSI...
- High-quality immunofluorescence of cultured cells
Department of Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
Methods Mol Biol 619:403-10. 2010
..This method reproducibly yields high-quality images of endomembrane compartments and cytoskeletal elements...
- The celebrated écorchés of honoré Fragonard, part 2: The details of the technique used by Fragonard
Curator of the Fragonard Museum, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire d Alfort, Maisons Alfort, France
Clin Anat 23:258-64. 2010
..Another detail that explains their exceptional conservation is that the varnish used by Fragonard was composed of Venice turpentine, made from larch resin and known to repel insects...
- Influence of enzymatic maceration on the microstructure and microhardness of compact bone
School of Engineering and Physical Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, Qld 4811, Australia
Biomed Mater 5:15006. 2010
..However, enzymatic maceration did not cause any significant change of porosity in bone structures...
- Collaborative study to establish a replacement World Health Organization International Standard for parvovirus B19 DNA nucleic acid amplification technology (NAT)-based assays
S A Baylis
National Institute for Biological Standards and Control, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire, UK
Vox Sang 98:441-6. 2010
..Two lyophilized preparations (coded 99/800 and 99/802) had been evaluated in the original collaborative study. The present study re-evaluates these two preparations in terms of potency, stability and encapsidation of virus DNA...
- Cells from an anhydrobiotic chironomid survive almost complete desiccation
Anhydrobiosis Research Unit, National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Cryobiology 60:138-46. 2010
..We also attempted dry-preservation of organs isolated from P. vanderplanki larvae, and found that a proportion of cells in some organs, including fat body, testis, nerve and dorsal vessel, tolerated in vitro desiccation...
- Engaging with plastination and the Body Worlds phenomenon: a cultural and intellectual challenge for anatomists
D Gareth Jones
Department of Anatomy and Structural Biology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Clin Anat 22:770-6. 2009
..We conclude that anatomists need to face up to the opportunities and challenges posed by the Body Worlds phenomenon, utilizing what is being presented to the general public and adapting this in teaching and research...
- The effect of pH and storage on copper speciation and bacterial growth in complex growth media
DTU National Food institute, Bulowsvej 27, DK 1790 Copenhagen V, Denmark
J Microbiol Methods 78:20-4. 2009
..Therefore, the latter method is to be recommended, when working with bacterial copper testing...
- Cryopreparation of biological specimens for immunoelectron microscopy
Department of Neurogenetics, Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Ann Anat 191:231-47. 2009
..Cryofixation is the state-of-the-art method for ultrastructural preservation, but for unstable and anoxia sensitive tissues, a combination of chemical prefixation with HPF and freeze substitution might be a valuable compromise...
- Comparison of effectiveness of wood decay fungi maintained by annual subculture on agar and stored in sterile water for 18 years
Dana L Richter
Michigan Technological University, Houghton, 49931, USA
Can J Microbiol 56:268-71. 2010
..Results suggested that storage under sterile water is an easy and effective method to store isolates of decay fungi for long periods, but as with any microbial storage method, careful monitoring of isolates upon revival is necessary...
- Preservation of intact adult rat photoreceptors in vitro: study of dissociation techniques and the effect of light
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Pritzker Institute of Biomedical Science and Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616, USA
Mol Vis 15:1-9. 2009
..In addition, the role of light exposure during the dissociation and culture process was investigated to minimize photoreceptor cell deformation over time in culture...
- [Optimization of processing and storage of clinical samples to be used for the molecular diagnosis of pertussis]
Laboratorio Central, Subsecretaría de Salud de Neuquén, Neuquen
Rev Argent Microbiol 42:108-13. 2010
..The experiments designed to assess the conservation of samples enabled us to obtain valuable information to guide the referral of samples from patient care centres to laboratories where such samples are processed by molecular methods...
- Induced encystment improves resistance to preservation and storage of Acanthamoeba castellanii
S J Campbell
School of Engineering and Science, University of the West of Scotland, Paisley PA1 2BE, Scotland
Parasitology 135:1401-5. 2008
..The present study demonstrates that A. castellanii can be stored as a non-multiplicative form inexpensively, without a need for cryopreservation, for at least 12 months, but viability is increased by storage at -70 degrees C...
- Rapid loss of dendritic cell and monocyte responses to TLR ligands following venipuncture
Partners AIDS Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Immunol Methods 339:132-40. 2008
..Overnight shipment or extended rest of whole blood before processing therefore severely compromises the ability of APCs to respond to TLR ligands, and this has to be taken into consideration when designing multicenter trials...
- Evaluation of techniques to demonstrate foot-and-mouth disease virus in bovine tongue epithelium: comparison of the sensitivity of cattle, mice, primary cell cultures, cryopreserved cell cultures and established cell lines
United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Greenport, NY 11944
Vet Microbiol 20:99-109. 1989
..Quality control of cell cultures used to evaluate field specimens for FMDV was critical. The cell cultures of cryopreserved ovine kidney cells provided the most practical diagnostic system...
- Awesome and captivating, but is it really educational?
Am J Bioeth 7:45-7; discussion W1-3. 2007
- Preservation of tissue RNA in normal saline
Department of Pathology, University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Lab Invest 83:137-8. 2003
- Preservation of urine samples for metabolic evaluation of stone-forming patients
Renato Ribeiro Nogueira Ferraz
Nephrology Division, , Rua: Botucatu, 740 Vila Clementino, , SP 04023-900, Brazil
Urol Res 34:329-37. 2006
- Long-term storage and safe retrieval of DNA from microorganisms for molecular analysis using FTA matrix cards
Molecular Identification Services Unit, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, 61 Colindale Avenue, London, UK
J Microbiol Methods 67:582-92. 2006
..The inactivation of bacterial cells on FTA cards suggest that this is a safe medium for the storage and transport of bacterial nucleic acids...
- Comparative ultrastructure of needle aspiration biopsy and surgical resection specimens of lung tumors
D D Davidson
Department of Pathology, Indiana University Hospital, Indianapolis 46202 5280
Ultrastruct Pathol 16:505-19. 1992
..Use of a coaxial needle sampling technique with immediate microscopic assessment reduces the likelihood of retrieving only blood or necrotic tissue in the electron microscopy specimens...
- [Preservation of Cryptosporidium oocystis in fecal specimens for parasitological examination]
Vicente Amato Neto
Laboratório de Investigação Médica Parasitologia, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 36:303-4. 2003
..This system permits an adequate preservation of the material, which facilitates the execution of tasks related to assistance and epidemiology...
- Viability of preserved Cryptosporidium baileyi oocysts
Chan Gu Surl
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, 561 756, Republic of Korea
Korean J Parasitol 41:197-201. 2003
..The finding that C. baileyi oocysts remain infective to chickens for at least 18 months offers important time-saving advantages to investigators who frequently require large numbers of oocysts...
- Comparison of storage methods for reverse-transcriptase PCR amplification of rotavirus RNA from gorilla (Gorilla g. gorilla) fecal samples
Christopher A Whittier
Environmental Medicine Consortium, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, 4700 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
J Virol Methods 116:11-7. 2004
..Only samples stored in GT gave 100% positive results at 180 days. It is recommended that fecal samples be collected in GT for viral RNA analysis...
- Survival of Beijerinckia sp. microencapsulated in carbohydrates by spray-drying
Department of Food Science, Faculty of Food Engineering, University of Campinas, Campinas C P 6121 13081 970, Brazil
J Microencapsul 21:15-24. 2004
..The products obtained with the dehydrated glucose syrup showed more uniform microcapsule surfaces at lower A(w) values and residual moisture content...
- Effect of long-term preservation methods on fecal glucocorticoid concentrations of grizzly bear and African elephant
Kathleen E Hunt
Center for Conservation Biology, Department of Biology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195-1800, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 76:918-28. 2003
- Survival curves for microbial species stored by freeze-drying
International Patent Organism Depository, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology AIST, 1 1 1 Higashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8566, Japan
Cryobiology 52:27-32. 2006
..The excellent survival after freeze-drying of each species might be attributable to the high level of desiccation and to sealing under vacuum...