Genomes and Genes
Summary: A process of separating particulate matter from a fluid, such as air or a liquid, by passing the fluid carrier through a medium that will not pass the particulates. (McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms, 4th ed)
Publications318 found, 100 shown here
- Use of filter paper for the collection and analysis of human whole blood specimensJ V Mei
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
J Nutr 131:1631S-6S. 2001..These activities have created a mechanism for the validation of the filter paper blood collection device and the standardization of materials and methods for the analysis of dried blood spots...
- Flexible graphene films via the filtration of water-soluble noncovalent functionalized graphene sheetsYuxi Xu
Key Laboratory of Bioorganic Phosphorus Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Department of Chemistry, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, People s Republic of China
J Am Chem Soc 130:5856-7. 2008Flexible graphene films were prepared by the filtration of water-soluble noncovalently functionalized graphene sheets with pyrenebutyrate...
- 3D microfilter device for viable circulating tumor cell (CTC) enrichment from bloodSiyang Zheng
Department of Bioengineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Biomed Microdevices 13:203-13. 2011..supports captured cells and minimize the stress concentration on cell membrane and sustain cell viability during filtration. Viable cell capture on device was investigated with scanning electron microscopy, confocal microscopy, and ..
- Air filters and air cleaners: rostrum by the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Indoor Allergen CommitteeJames L Sublett
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Allergy and Immunology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, 9800 Shelbyville Rd, Louisville, KY 40223, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 125:32-8. 2010..This rostrum serves as a resource for the allergist and other health care professionals seeking a better understanding of air filtration.
- Rate of decline in serum PFOA concentrations after granular activated carbon filtration at two public water systems in Ohio and West VirginiaScott M Bartell
Program in Public Health, University of California, Irvine, California 92697 1250, USA
Environ Health Perspect 118:222-8. 2010..Two highly contaminated water districts began granular activated carbon filtration in 2007.
- Point of use household drinking water filtration: A practical, effective solution for providing sustained access to safe drinking water in the developing worldMark D Sobsey
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, CB 7431, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7431, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:4261-7. 2008....
- Local drinking water filters reduce diarrheal disease in Cambodia: a randomized, controlled trial of the ceramic water purifierJoe Brown
University of Alabama, Department of Biological Sciences, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 0229, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:394-400. 2008..51 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.41-0.63); CWP-Fe: 0.58 (95% CI: 0.47-0.71), an effect that was observed in all age groups and both sexes after controlling for clustering within households and within individuals over time...
- Effective and cheap removal of leukocytes and platelets from Plasmodium vivax infected bloodKanlaya Sriprawat
Singapore Immunology Network, Biopolis, Singapore
Malar J 8:115. 2009..The aims of this study were to compare the ability of CF11 cellulose filters and the commercial filter Plasmodipur at removing leukocyte and platelet, and to investigate the retention of P. vivax IRBCs by CF11 cellulose filtration.
- Cluster randomized controlled trial of the plastic BioSand Water filter in CambodiaC E Stauber
Institute of Public Health, Georgia State University, P O Box 3995, Atlanta, Georgia 30302 3995, United States
Environ Sci Technol 46:722-8. 2012..The study suggests the plastic BSF may play an important role in scaling up the distribution/implementation of the BSF, potentially improving water quality and health in the region...
- Reductions of E. coli, echovirus type 12 and bacteriophages in an intermittently operated household-scale slow sand filterM A Elliott
University of North Carolina, CB 7431, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7431, USA
Water Res 42:2662-70. 2008..3 log10 (95%) with mean reductions of only 0.5 log10 (70%). These data indicate that virus reduction by BSF may differ substantially depending upon the specific viral agent...
- Application of a filtration- and isolation-by-size technique for the detection of circulating tumor cells in cutaneous melanomaVincenzo de Giorgi
Department of Critical Care Medicine and Surgery, Dermatology Unit, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Invest Dermatol 130:2440-7. 2010..of epithelial tumor cells (ISET) is a direct method for CTC identification in which tumor cells are collected by filtration as a result of their large size...
- A new device for rapid isolation by size and characterization of rare circulating tumor cellsIsabelle Desitter
ScreenCell, 75012 Paris, France
Anticancer Res 31:427-41. 2011..Circulating tumor cells (CTCs) likely derive from clones in the primary tumor, suggesting that they can be used for all biological tests applying to the primary cells...
- Evaluation on the applied value of the dot immunogold filtration assay (DIGFA) for rapid detection of anti-Schistosoma japonicum antibodyLi Yong Wen
Research Laboratory of Molecular Immunoparasitology, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029, China
Acta Trop 96:142-7. 2005The dot immunogold filtration assay (DIGFA) is a rapid technique for the detection of anti-Schistosoma japonicum antibody...
- Microplate filtration assay for nicotinamide release from NAD using a boronic acid resinThomas McDonagh
Elixir Pharmaceuticals, One Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Methods 36:346-50. 2005..The protocol reported here is rapid and uses commercially available materials. The use of a simple microplate filtration device allows for the simultaneous processing of 96 samples, facilitating enzyme kinetic analyses and inhibition ..
- Cigarette filter ventilation is a defective design because of misleading taste, bigger puffs, and blocked ventsL T Kozlowski
Department of Biobehavioral Health, The Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Tob Control 11:I40-50. 2002....
- A randomized controlled trial of the concrete biosand filter and its impact on diarrheal disease in Bonao, Dominican RepublicChristine E Stauber
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, School of Public Health, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7431, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:286-93. 2009..water treatment and safe storage technologies, such as chlorine disinfection, solar disinfection, and ceramic filtration, have been documented for their ability to reduce diarrheal disease and improve microbial water quality...
- Continuous scalable blood filtration device using inertial microfluidicsAlbert J Mach
Department of Bioengineering, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 107:302-11. 2010..size-based techniques that may avoid the costs or clogging issues associated with centrifugation and mechanical filtration. We present for the first time a massively parallel microfluidic device that passively separates pathogenic ..
- Glomerular albumin filtration through podocyte cell body in puromycin aminonucleoside nephrotic ratAkihiro Tojo
Division of Nephrology and Endocrinology, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Med Mol Morphol 41:92-8. 2008..effaced and the number of slit membranes is reduced in nephrotic syndrome, suggesting another pathway of albumin filtration through the foot process cell body...
- Photodynamic therapy of multiple actinic keratoses: reduced pain through use of visible light plus water-filtered infrared A compared with light from light-emitting diodesV von Felbert
Department of Dermatology, RWTH Aachen University, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Br J Dermatol 163:607-15. 2010..Photodynamic therapy (PDT) with methyl aminolaevulinate (MAL) is an effective treatment for multiple actinic keratoses (AKs). Pain, however, is a major side-effect...
- Field assessment of a novel household-based water filtration device: a randomised, placebo-controlled trial in the Democratic Republic of CongoSophie Boisson
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e12613. 2010..However, current methods of treating water at home have certain shortcomings, and there is evidence of bias in the reported health impact of the intervention in open trial designs...
- Comparative toxicity assessment of ozone and activated carbon treated sewage effluents using an in vivo test batteryDaniel Stalter
Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, Biological Sciences Division, Department Aquatic Ecotoxicology, Siesmayerstrasse 70, 60323 Frankfurt, Germany
Water Res 44:2610-20. 2010..after ozonation compared to conventional treatment whereas this effect was reduced following subsequent sand filtration. When ozonation was applied, a significantly increased genotoxicity was observed, detected with the comet assay ..
- Elimination of organic micropollutants in a municipal wastewater treatment plant upgraded with a full-scale post-ozonation followed by sand filtrationJuliane Hollender
Eawag, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, Dubendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 43:7862-9. 2009..at the scale of a municipal wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) upgraded with post-ozonation followed by sand filtration. During post-ozonation, compounds with activated aromatic moieties, amine functions, or double bonds such as ..
- Analysis of particulate contaminations of infusion solutions in a pediatric intensive care unitThomas Jack
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Intensive Care Med 36:707-11. 2010....
- A filtration-based protocol to isolate human plasma membrane-derived vesicles and exosomes from blood plasmaRyan Grant
Cellular and Molecular Immunology Research Centre, Faculty of Life Sciences, London Metropolitan University, London, UK
J Immunol Methods 371:143-51. 2011..This study describes a novel filtration method to isolate PMVs in plasma, which avoids high speed centrifugation, and to quantify them using a Becton ..
- Dot immunogold filtration assay (DIGFA) with multiple native antigens for rapid serodiagnosis of human cystic and alveolar echinococcosisXiaohui Feng
Xinjiang Hydatid Clinical Research Institute, First Teaching Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University, No 1 Liyushan RD, Urumqi 830000, Xinjiang, China
Acta Trop 113:114-20. 2010A new 3-min rapid dot immunogold filtration assay (DIGFA) for serodiagnosis of human cystic and alveolar echinococcosis was developed using four native antigen preparations: crude and partially purified hydatid cyst fluid extracts from ..
- A randomized controlled trial of the plastic-housing BioSand filter and its impact on diarrheal disease in Copan, HondurasAnna M Fabiszewski de Aceituno
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, Gillings School of Global Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:913-21. 2012..Households with a BSF had significantly better drinking water quality regardless of water source or season...
- Sorption of phosphorous to Filtralite-P--the effect of different scalesKinga Adám
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, P O Box 5003, 1432 As, Norway
Water Res 40:1143-54. 2006..The surface of these precipitation particles was identified by X-ray diffraction and SEM method as CaCO3 and precipitated Ca- and Mg-phosphates...
- An assessment of continued use and health impact of the concrete biosand filter in Bonao, Dominican RepublicBenjamin A Aiken
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 85:309-17. 2011..39 times the odds of reported diarrheal disease in non-BSF households. These results document high levels of sustained and effective concrete BSF use and associated improvements in water quality and health...
- Investigation of bacterial removal during the filtration process in constructed wetlandsKirsten Sleytr
Institute of Sanitary Engineering and Water Pollution Control, BOKU, University of Natural, Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Muthgasse 18, A 1190 Vienna, Austria
Sci Total Environ 380:173-80. 2007..Only enterococci measured in the substrate samples of the main layer of the filter could a statistically significant difference be observed...
- Pyrosequencing demonstrated complex microbial communities in a membrane filtration system for a drinking water treatment plantSoondong Kwon
School of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, Korea University, Seongbuk gu, Seoul 136 713, South Korea
Microbes Environ 26:149-55. 2011..and species levels, suggesting that different environmental and growth conditions were generated during membrane filtration. Moreover, signatures of potential pathogens including Legionella, Pseudomonas, Aeromonas, and Chromobacterium ..
- Virus and prokaryote enumeration from planktonic aquatic environments by epifluorescence microscopy with SYBR Green IAnand Patel
Marine Environmental Biology Section, University of Southern California, 3616 Trousdale Parkway, AHF 107, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
Nat Protoc 2:269-76. 2007..The method relies on simple vacuum filtration to capture viruses on a 0...
- Biological filtration limits carbon availability and affects downstream biofilm formation and community structureChee Meng Pang
Division of Environmental Science and Engineering, National University of Singapore, Block E2, no 04 07, 1 Engineering Drive 2, Singapore 117576
Appl Environ Microbiol 72:5702-12. 2006..g., Aquabacterium, Caulobacter, and Legionella) were preferentially selected in the BF biofilm, suggesting that carbon limitation strategies may not achieve adequate biofouling control in the long run...
- Use of ceramic water filtration in the prevention of diarrheal disease: a randomized controlled trial in rural South Africa and zimbabweMartella Du Preez
Natural Resources and the Environment, CSIR, Pretoria, South Africa
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:696-701. 2008..001) and for non-bloody diarrhea was 0.17 (95% CI, 0.08-0.38; P < 0.001), indicating much lower diarrhea incidence among filter users. The results suggest that ceramic filters are effective in reducing diarrheal disease incidence...
- The EPS characteristics of sludge in an aerobic granule membrane bioreactorWang Xuan
Tianjin Key Laboratory of Hollow Fiber Membrane Material and Membrane Process, Institute of Biological and Chemical Engineering, Tianjin Polytechnical University, Tianjin 300160, China
Bioresour Technol 101:8046-50. 2010..Furthermore, application of aerobic granule can improve sludge filtering properties and delay the process of membrane fouling, as a result of better morphological structure and lower EPS content...
- Diagnostic accuracy of urine filtration and dipstick tests for Schistosoma haematobium infection in a lightly infected population of Ghanaian schoolchildrenKaren C Kosinski
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Tufts University, Medford, MA 02155, USA
Acta Trop 118:123-7. 2011Two screening methods, reagent dipsticks for hematuria and urine filtration for Schistosoma haematobium eggs, were evaluated for their sensitivity and specificity in diagnosing infection with S...
- Visual function in patients with yellow tinted intraocular lenses compared with vision in patients with non-tinted intraocular lensesK Hayashi
Hayashi Eye Hospital, 4 7 13 Hakataekimae, Hakata Ku, Fukuoka 812, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1019-23. 2006..To compare the visual function in patients with short wavelength blue light blocking yellow tinted intraocular lenses (IOLs) with that in patients with non-tinted IOLs...
- Infiltration of forest fire and residential wood smoke: an evaluation of air cleaner effectivenessPrabjit Barn
School of Environmental Health, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol 18:503-11. 2008..001). No significant predictors of ACE were identified. Our findings show that remaining indoors combined with use of air cleaner can effectively reduce PM(2.5) exposure during forest fires and residential wood burning...
- Prescribed burns and wildfires in Colorado: impacts of mitigation measures on indoor air particulate matterDavid E Henderson
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309 0427, USA
J Air Waste Manag Assoc 55:1516-26. 2005..In the homes without the air cleaners, measured indoor concentrations were 58-100% of the concentrations measured outdoors...
- Household-based ceramic water filters for the prevention of diarrhea: a randomized, controlled trial of a pilot program in ColombiaThomas Clasen
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:790-5. 2005....
- Update on the glomerular filtration barrierGeorge Jarad
Renal Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 18:226-32. 2009..is associated with abnormalities in any one layer, suggesting that each contributes to the glomerular filtration barrier (GFB). Proteinuria can also be induced in the context of a normal glomerular capillary wall...
- Detection of circulating microparticles by flow cytometry: influence of centrifugation, filtration of buffer, and freezingEmily Dey-Hazra
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Vasc Health Risk Manag 6:1125-33. 2010..We also analyzed the effect of filtration of buffer and long-term freezing on microparticle quantification, as well as the role of Annexin V in the ..
- Effect of sampling time on the culturability of airborne fungi and bacteria sampled by filtrationKate T H Durand
University of Washington, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Department of Environmental Health, Seattle 98195, USA
Ann Occup Hyg 46:113-8. 2002Air sampling of bioaerosols by filtration may be preferable for many epidemiological studies because the methods can be used to collect personal samples for a full work-shift...
- Development and application of a differential method for reliable metabolome analysis in Escherichia coliHilal Taymaz-Nikerel
Department of Biotechnology, Delft University of Technology, BC Delft, The Netherlands
Anal Biochem 386:9-19. 2009..Different methods for sampling of culture filtrate were examined, and it was found that direct filtration without cooling of the sample was the most appropriate...
- Performance of small-scale CHO perfusion cultures using an acoustic cell filtration device for cell retention: characterization of separation efficiency and impact of perfusion on product qualityT Ryll
Process Sciences, Genentech, Inc, 1 DNA Way, South San Francisco, California 94080 4990, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 69:440-9. 2000..small-scale Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) suspension cultures were grown in perfusion mode using a new acoustic filtration system...
- Plasmapheresis for severe lipemia: comparison of serum-lipid clearance rates for the plasma-exchange and double-filtration variantsJiann Horng Yeh
Department of Neurology, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Apher 18:32-6. 2003..patients who had not responded to previous therapies were selected for either the plasma-exchange (PE) or double-filtration (DF) treatment variants...
- Biomass development in slow sand filtersL C Campos
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK
Water Res 36:4543-51. 2002....
- A multi-well filtration assay for quantitation of inositol phosphates in biological samplesM Chengalvala
Women s Health Research Institute, Wyeth Ayerst Research, Radnor, PA 19087, USA
J Biochem Biophys Methods 38:163-70. 1999..Cell lysates containing labeled IPs were applied in 96-well plates fitted with filtration discs containing regenerated Dowex AGI-X8 resin...
- Contrast is enhanced by yellow lenses because of selective reduction of short-wavelength lightJ S Wolffsohn
Clinic Research Unit, Victorian College of Optometry, University of Melbourne, Australia
Optom Vis Sci 77:73-81. 2000..Although many studies have shown a subjective preference for yellow lenses, there has been little success in determining the clinical nature of this benefit...
- Cigarettes with defective filters marketed for 40 years: what Philip Morris never told smokersJ L Pauly
Department of Immunology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, New York State Department of Health, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
Tob Control 11:I51-61. 2002..Cigarettes with filters that release cellulose acetate or carbon particles during normal smoking conditions are defective...
- Considerations for improving the accuracy of exposure to disinfection by-products by ingestion in epidemiologic studiesHoward S Weinberg
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, University of North Carolina, School of Public Health, Rosenau Hall, South Columbia St, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7431, USA
Sci Total Environ 354:35-42. 2006..These factors should be taken into consideration in DBP exposure characterization for epidemiologic studies...
- The filtration-acclimatization method for isolation of an important fraction of the not readily cultivable bacteriaMartin W Hahn
Institute for Limnology, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Mondseestrasse 9, Mondsee A 5310, Austria
J Microbiol Methods 57:379-90. 2004We developed a novel method, the filtration-acclimatization method (FAM), which enables the isolation and cultivation of an important fraction of the bacterial diversity, which is not cultivable by standard methods...
- Filter ventilation and nicotine content of tobacco in cigarettes from Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United StatesL T Kozlowski
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Tob Control 7:369-75. 1998..The purpose was to determine filter ventilation and the nicotine content of tobacco and their contribution to machine-smoked yields of cigarettes from the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom...
- Hydrodynamic filtration for on-chip particle concentration and classification utilizing microfluidicsMasumi Yamada
Department of Chemistry and Biotechnology, School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8656, Japan
Lab Chip 5:1233-9. 2005..method for continuous concentration and classification of particles in microfluidic devices, named hydrodynamic filtration. When a particle is flowing in a microchannel, the center position of the particle cannot be present in a ..
- Control of asthma triggers in indoor air with air cleaners: a modeling analysisTheodore A Myatt
Environmental Health and Engineering, Inc, 117 Fourth Avenue, Needham, MA 02494 2725, USA
Environ Health 7:43. 2008..The potential exposure benefits of whole house high efficiency in-duct air cleaners for sensitive subpopulations have yet to be evaluated...
- Reduction of cholera in Bangladeshi villages by simple filtrationRita R Colwell
Center of Marine Biotechnology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, Baltimore, MD 21202, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1051-5. 2003..cholerae, the etiological agent of epidemic cholera, is commensal to zooplankton, notably copepods, a simple filtration procedure was developed whereby zooplankton, most phytoplankton, and particulates >20 microm were removed ..
- AcrySof Natural filter decreases blue light-induced apoptosis in human retinal pigment epitheliumKourous A Rezai
Department of Ophthalmology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:671-6. 2008..The effect of AcrySof filter (UV light-filtering chromophore; Alcon) and AcrySof Natural filter (UV- and blue light-filtering chromophores) on blue light-induced apoptosis in human retinal pigment epithelial (RPE) cells was evaluated...
- Cell filtration-laser scanning cytometry for the characterisation of circulating breast cancer cellsLila Zabaglo
Academic Department of Biochemistry, Royal Marsden Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Cytometry A 55:102-8. 2003..Additionally, biomarker analysis may allow a more rational approach to therapeutics. We have developed a new method for the detection and characterisation of these cells...
- In-line filtration reduces severe complications and length of stay on pediatric intensive care unit: a prospective, randomized, controlled trialThomas Jack
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Intensive Care Med 38:1008-16. 2012..Particulate contamination due to infusion therapy carries a potential health risk for intensive care patients...
- Carbon-activated gas filtration during in vitro culture increased pregnancy rate following transfer of in vitro-produced bovine embryosJ S Merton
HG BV, Production Department, P O Box 5073, 6802 EB Arnhem, The Netherlands
Theriogenology 67:1233-8. 2007..Therefore, this study investigated the effects of an intra-incubator carbon-activated air filtration system (CODA) during in vitro culture (IVC) on embryonic development and subsequent pregnancy rate of bovine ..
- Dynamic fouling behaviors of submerged nonwoven bioreactor for filtration of activated sludge with different SRTShun Hsing Chuang
Department of Environmental Engineering and Management, Chaoyang University of Technology, Taichung City 413, Taiwan
Bioresour Technol 102:7768-76. 2011The flux variations and resistances accumulated during filtration of activated sludge with sludge retention time (SRT) of 15, 30, and 60 days were analyzed to investigate the dynamic fouling behavior in a submerged nonwoven bioreactor...
- Reduced ozone by air filtration consistently improved grain yield in wheatHåkan Pleijel
University of Gothenburg, Plant and Environmental Sciences, Goteborg, Sweden
Environ Pollut 159:897-902. 2011..26 experiments reported improved yield and 4 experiments reduced yield by filtration, a significant positive effect. Average yield improvement was 9%...
- Metabolic fingerprinting of high-fat plasma samples processed by centrifugation- and filtration-based protein precipitation delineates significant differences in metabolite information coverageThaer Barri
Department of Human Nutrition, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Denmark
Anal Chim Acta 718:47-57. 2012..were utilized for finding characteristic metabolite changes induced by two PPP procedures; centrifugation and filtration. We used 12-h fasting samples and postprandial samples collected at 2h after a standardized high-fat protein-..
- Development and calibration of a nitrification PDE model based on experimental data issued from biofilter treating drinking waterI Queinnec
Laboratoire d Analyse et d Architecture des Systèmes LAAS CNRS, 7 Avenue du Colonel Roche, 31077 Toulouse Cedex 04, France
Biotechnol Bioeng 94:209-22. 2006....
- Assessment of biosand filter performance in rural communities in southern coastal Nicaragua: an evaluation of 199 householdsM M Fiore
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Rural Remote Health 10:1483. 2010..Approximately 600 filters had been installed in this area over the preceding 2 years by local workers supported by US and Canadian NGOs...
- Removal of pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) from urban wastewater in a pilot vertical flow constructed wetland and a sand filterVictor Matamoros
Department of Environmental Chemistry, IIQAB CSIC, Jordi Girona 18 26, E 08034 Barcelona, Spain
Environ Sci Technol 41:8171-7. 2007..The shorter hydraulic residence time (a few hours) in VFCW compared to that in other CW configurations ranging from days to weeks makes VFCWs a very appropriate wastewater treatment option in space-limited areas...
- Experimental basis for discriminating between thermal and athermal effects of water-filtered infrared A irradiationTobias Jung
Institute of Nutrition, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Jena, Germany
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1259:33-8. 2012..In the following, we discuss different experimental setups and highlight some cellular responses to thermal and athermal wIRA effects, as well as the experimental problems in differentiating between them...
- Combination of ARAD microfibre filtration and LAMP methodology for simple, rapid and cost-effective detection of human pathogenic Giardia duodenalis and Cryptosporidium spp. in drinking waterJ Plutzer
National Institute of Environmental Health, Department of Water Hygiene, Budapest, Hungary
Lett Appl Microbiol 50:82-8. 2010..and Giardia cysts in drinking water samples, ranging from 10- to 1000-l, which combines a new ARAD microfibre filtration of the (oo)cysts from drinking water and loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) of a human pathogenic ..
- The effect of post space preparation in teeth obturated with Mineral Trioxide Aggregate evaluated using a fluid filtration systemSeyed Mohsen Jalalzadeh
Department of Endodontics, Dental School, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran
J Oral Sci 52:567-70. 2010..In group B, the canals were filled with 4 mm of white MTA. All samples were attached to a fluid filtration device...
- Effects of water-filtered infrared A irradiation on human fibroblastsTobias Jung
Institute of Biological Chemistry and Nutrition, University of Hohenheim, Garbenstrasse 28, 70593 Stuttgart, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 48:153-60. 2010..Further experiments revealed that the major absorbance of infrared is due to absorption of the energy by cellular water...
- Towards a novel haemoglobin-based oxygen carrier: Euro-PEG-Hb, physico-chemical properties, vasoactivity and renal filtrationI Portöro
Institute of Human Physiology and Clinical Experimental Research, Faculty of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Biochim Biophys Acta 1784:1402-9. 2008..was aimed at the development of a novel haemoglobin-based oxygen carrier with low vasoactivity and renal filtration properties...
- Evaluation of microbial contamination of air in two haematology departments equipped with ventilation systems with different filtration devicesP Crimi
Department of Health Sciences, San Martino Hospital, University of Genoa, Italy
J Prev Med Hyg 50:33-6. 2009..In this study, we evaluated microbial contamination of the air in two divisions with high risk patients, focusing on the validity of the air system with correlation to the presence or not of the HEPA absolute filters...
- Infectious prion protein in the filtrate even after 15 nm filtrationMikihiro Yunoki
Research and Development Division, Benesis Corporation, Kashima, Yodogawa ku, Osaka, Japan
Biologicals 38:311-3. 2010..An antithrombin sample immediately prior to nano-filtration was spiked with prion material prepared in two different ways...
- Development of a nondestructive fluorescence-based enzymatic staining of microcolonies for enumerating bacterial contamination in filterable productsA Baumstummler
Millipore, BioProcess Division, Process Monitoring Tools, Applied Biology R and D Department, Molsheim, France
J Appl Microbiol 110:69-79. 2011..Develop a nondestructive fluorescence-based staining procedure to rapidly detect and enumerate bacteria in filterable samples...
- Detection of microbial contaminants in mammalian cell cultures using a new fluorescence-based staining methodA Baumstummler
Millipore, BioProcess Division, Process Monitoring Tools, Applied Biology R and D Department, Molsheim, France
Lett Appl Microbiol 51:671-7. 2010..We developed a new method combining membrane filtration to microcolonies fluorescence staining method (MFSM) and compared it to epifluorescence microscopy.
- A case report of double-filtration plasmapheresis for the resolution of refractory chronic urticariaXinxin Jiang
Departments of Nephrology and Internal Medicine, Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital Affiliated to Medical College of Zhejiang University, Zhejiang Province, People s Republic of China
Ther Apher Dial 12:505-8. 2008..The diagnosis of refractory chronic urticaria was made and double-filtration plasmapheresis (DFPP) was performed...
- Membrane filtration of olive mill wastewater and exploitation of its fractionsC A Paraskeva
Institute of Chemical Engineering and High Temperature Chemical Processes Foundation for Research and Technology, Hellas FORTH ICE HT, Patras, Greece
Water Environ Res 79:421-9. 2007..The calculations of the cost of the overall process showed that fixed and operational costs could be recovered from the exploitation of OMW byproducts as water for irrigation and/or as bioherbicides...
- Evaluation of depth filtration to remove prion challenge from an immune globulin preparationR W Van Holten
Immunohematology RhoGAM Product Support, Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, Raritan, NJ 08869, USA
Vox Sang 85:20-4. 2003..This study evaluated the effectiveness and characterized the mechanism of abnormal prion protein removal during a depth-filtration step used in the manufacture of an immunoglobulin preparation.
- A manufacturer's role in reducing the dose of cone beam computed tomography examinations: effect of beam filtrationJ B Ludlow
Department of Diagnostic Sciences and General Dentistry, 1008 Tarson Hall, The University of North Carolina School of Dentistry, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7450, USA
Dentomaxillofac Radiol 40:115-22. 2011The dosimetry of the Kodak 9500 cone beam CT (CBCT) unit (Carestream Health, Rochester, NY) was measured before and after installation of copper filtration.
- Evaluation of alternative strategies to MERV 16-based air filtration systems for reduction of the risk of airborne spread of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virusScott Dee
Department of Veterinary Population Medicine, University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
Vet Microbiol 138:106-13. 2009..The application of MERV 16-based air filtration systems to swine facilities in an effort to reduce this risk has been proposed; however, due to the cost and air ..
- Home water treatment by direct filtration with natural coagulantRaveendra Babu
Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur 208 016, India
J Water Health 3:27-30. 2005..In laboratory tests, direct filtration of a turbid surface water (turbidity 15-25 NTU, heterotrophic bacteria 280-500 cfu ml(-1), and fecal coliforms ..
- Development of dot-immunogold filtration assay to detect white spot syndrome virus of shrimpXiaojie Wang
Laboratory of Pathology and Immunology of Aquatic Animals, LMMEC, Ocean University of China, Qingdao 266003, PR China
J Virol Methods 132:212-5. 2006The dot-immunogold filtration assay (DIGFA) detects white spot syndrome virus (WSSV) by using a nitrocellulose membrane (NCM) as a support of WSSV and anti-WSSV monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) 1D5 and 6A4 labelled with red color colloidal ..
- The effectiveness of stand alone air cleaners for shelter-in-placeM Ward
Center for Energy and Environmental Resources, Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78758, USA
Indoor Air 15:127-34. 2005..However, the effect of particle size was relatively small for most scenarios considered here...
- Comparing the autoantibody levels and clinical efficacy of double filtration plasmapheresis, immunoadsorption, and intravenous immunoglobulin for the treatment of late-onset myasthenia gravisJun Feng Liu
Division of Nephrology, Huashan Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Ther Apher Dial 14:153-60. 2010The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of double-filtration plasmapheresis (DFPP), immunoadsorption (IA) and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) in the treatment of late-onset myasthenia gravis (MG)...
- Apical leakage of resin based root canal sealers with a new computerized fluid filtration meterHasan Orucoglu
Department of Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
J Endod 31:886-90. 2005..leakage of three root-canal sealers: AH Plus, Diaket, and EndoREZ was evaluated using a new computerized fluid filtration meter. Forty-five extracted human premolar teeth with single root and canal were used...
- Light normalizing intraocular lensesJames A Davison
Wolfe Eye Clinic, 309 East Church Street, Marshalltown, IA 50158, USA
Int Ophthalmol Clin 45:55-106. 2005
- [Functional results after intraocular lens implantation with or without blue light filter: an intraindividual comparison]S Mayer
Klinik fur Augenheilkunde, Vivantes Klinikum Neukölln, Berlin
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 223:142-6. 2006..This could have an effect on contrast sensitivity and subjective visual perception...
- A pilot study to investigate the effects of combined dehumidification and HEPA filtration on dew point and airborne mold spore counts in day care centersJ A Bernstein
Division of Immunology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0563, USA
Indoor Air 15:402-7. 2005..was to investigate whether dehumidification in combination with high-efficiency particulate arrestance (HEPA) filtration is effective at reducing airborne mold spore levels in day care centers...
- An overview of prion biology and the role of blood filtration in reducing the risk of transfusion-transmitted variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseJoseph S Cervia
Pall Medical, East Hills, NY 11548, USA
Transfus Med Rev 20:190-206. 2006..These have been successfully adapted to existing high-efficiency blood filter matrices for the reduction of prions present in blood components for transfusion...
- An in vitro comparison of microleakage between Resilon and gutta-percha with a fluid filtration modelJaron R Wedding
Department of Endodontics, Indiana University School of Dentistry, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Endod 33:1447-9. 2007..compared microleakage of teeth obturated with gutta-percha and teeth obturated with Resilon by using a fluid filtration model. Forty-six human, single-rooted, mandibular premolars were studied...
- A novel air filtration delivery system improves seasonal allergic rhinitisRichard J Morris
Allergy and Asthma Care, P A, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55369, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 27:63-7. 2006..Bedrooms offer the best opportunity for allergen avoidance. Most previous studies of air filtration only measured the effect on allergen particle counts, but few have addressed the clinical efficacy...
- Preconcentration of Pb(II), Cr(III), Cu(II), Ni(II) and Cd(II) ions in environmental samples by membrane filtration prior to their flame atomic absorption spectrometric determinationsUmit Divrikli
Pamukkale University, Faculty of Arts and Science, Department of Chemistry, 20020 Denizli, Turkey
J Hazard Mater 145:459-64. 2007A method for separation-preconcentration of Pb(II), Cr(III), Cu(II), Ni(II) and Cd(II) ions by membrane filtration has been described...
- [Visual function with blue light filter IOLs]C Wohlfart
Universitats Augenklinik, Medizinische Universitat Graz, Osterreich
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:23-7. 2007..In this study we compared subjective and objective parameters of visual function following implantation of blue light filter (yellow) IOLs and IOLs of the same design without filter...
- Improved methods for modelling drinking water treatment in quantitative microbial risk assessment; a case study of Campylobacter reduction by filtration and ozonationP W M H Smeets
Kiwa Water Research, P O Box 1072, 3430 BR Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
J Water Health 6:301-14. 2008..The method was tested in a case study with Campylobacter monitoring data of rapid sand filtration and ozonation processes...
- Double filtration plasmapheresis in antibody-incompatible kidney transplantationRob Higgins
Transplant Unit, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire, Coventry, UK
Ther Apher Dial 14:392-9. 2010Double filtration plasmapheresis (DFPP) was used in preference to plasma exchange in our program of antibody-incompatible transplantation, to treat higher volumes of plasma...
- Effect of exhaled moisture on breathing resistance of N95 filtering facepiece respiratorsRaymond J Roberge
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory, Pittsburgh, PA 15236, USA
Ann Occup Hyg 54:671-7. 2010....
- Efficacy of a novel air filtration pillow for avoidance of perennial allergens in symptomatic adultsAllan Stillerman
Clinical Research Institute Inc of Minneapolis, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55402, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 104:440-9. 2010....
- Evaluation of the filtration performance of 21 N95 filtering face piece respirators after prolonged storageDennis J Viscusi
National Personal Protective Technology Laboratory, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health CDC, 626 Cochrans Mill Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15236, USA
Am J Infect Control 37:381-6. 2009..To understand better the effects of prolonged storage, this investigation evaluated the filtration efficiency of 21 different models of National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)-certified ..
- Simultaneous concentration of Enterococci and coliphage from marine waters using a dual layer filtration systemA M Abdelzaher
University of Miami, Oceans and Human Health Center, Key Biscayne, FL 33149, USA
J Environ Qual 38:2468-73. 2009..The purpose of this present study was to evaluate a newly devised dual layered filtration system, which was developed to simultaneously concentrate both viruses and bacteria in one step from marine ..
- Controlled application and removal of liposomal therapeutics: effective elimination of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin by double-filtration plasmapheresis in vitroGerhard Putz
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Medical Center Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Clin Apher 25:54-62. 2010..Finding a way to detoxify the predominant part of a given dose, circulating in the blood after accumulation is completed, will presumably reduce severe side effects during chemotherapy...
- Preparation of surface-modified poly(butylene terephthalate) nonwovens and their application as leukocyte removal filtersEun Jin Kim
Department of Polymer Science, Kyungpook National University, Buk Gu, Daegu 702 701, Korea
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 90:849-56. 2009..When filtration was performed with a unit of red blood cell concentrates, HA-deposited PBT-NW (PBT-HA) removed 98...
- Removal of Plasmodium falciparum-infected red blood cells from whole blood by leukoreduction filtersLisa J Cardo
Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Transfusion 49:337-46. 2009..Because units collected from donors with sickle trait do not filter optimally due to adherence of RBCs to the filters, the possibility that malaria-infected RBCs may also adhere to filters was investigated...
- Fibrotic Sequelae of Childhood Renal DiseaseAgnes Fogo; Fiscal Year: 2007..A, Inagami T, Hogan BLM, Ichikawa I: Angiotensin gene null mutant mice lack homeostatic regulation of glomerular filtration and tubular reabsorption. Kidney Int 53: 617-625, 1998...
- STRUCTURE, BIOSYNTHESIS AND FUNCTION OF GLYCOPROTEINSStuart Kornfeld; Fiscal Year: 2007..the phosphatase in hand, the effect of phosphorylation on the conformation of GGAs 1/3 will be studied by gel filtration, sucrose density gradients and protease sensitivity...
- Circulatory Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue SyndromeJulian Stewart; Fiscal Year: 2004..redistributed peripherally and redistribution is enhanced during orthostasis producing increased microvascular filtration and dependent edema...
- Randomized trial of vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids for diabetic kidney diseaseIan H De Boer; Fiscal Year: 2010..to test whether vitamin D3 and/or omega-3 fatty acids prevent progression of albuminuria and loss of glomerular filtration rate, two complementary manifestations of DKD, over 4 years of treatment...
- Molecular pathogenesis of anti-glomerular basement membrane nephritisDorin Bogdan Borza; Fiscal Year: 2010The glomerular basement membrane (GBM) is an essential part of the blood filtration barrier and the primary site of injury in aggressive forms of glomerulonephritis mediated by anti-GBM antibodies...
- Molecular pathogenesis of anti-glomerular basement membrane nephritisDorin Bogdan Borza; Fiscal Year: 2009The glomerular basement membrane (GBM) is an essential part of the blood filtration barrier and the primary site of injury in aggressive forms of glomerulonephritis mediated by anti-GBM antibodies...
- Renal Control of Blood Pressure in Early DiabetesMichael Brands; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our L-NAME, ACh, and glomerular filtration rate (GFR) data support this, but to better implicate NO and define the site(s) for its control of renal ..
- Hispanic Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort (CRIC) StudyJames Lash; Fiscal Year: 2007..To improve the accuracy of glomerular filtration rate (GFR) prediction equations in Hispanics withCKD...
- Solar Water Disinfection: Randomized Intervention TrialJOHN COLFORD; Fiscal Year: 2006..gastroenteritis remains a major infrastructural and public health problem particularly, as effective treatment (filtration, chlorination, treatments plants) is often beyond financial means or environmental resources used for water ..
- Slit Diaphragm and Actin DynamicsLawrence Holzman; Fiscal Year: 2009Glomerular visceral epithelial cells play a central role in maintaining the filtration barrier of the renal glomerulus...
- Slit Diaphragm and Actin DynamicsLawrence B Holzman; Fiscal Year: 2009Glomerular visceral epithelial cells play a central role in maintaining the filtration barrier of the renal glomerulus...
- Slit Diaphragm and Actin DynamicsLawrence B Holzman; Fiscal Year: 2010Glomerular visceral epithelial cells play a central role in maintaining the filtration barrier of the renal glomerulus...
- SIGNALS FOR RENAL ENDOTHELIAL CAPILLARY MORPHOGENESISJin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, a series of chemical cross-linking studies and gel filtration electrophoresis experiments will be employed to investigate the state of oligomerization of LERK-2 following ..
- Regulation of the Renal Microcirculation by the Connecting TubuleOscar A Carretero; Fiscal Year: 2010..arterioles (Af-Art) and efferent arterioles account for most renal vascular resistance;they control glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and peritubular pressure, and consequently renal function...
- Regulation of the Renal Microcirculation by the Connecting TubuleOscar Carretero; Fiscal Year: 2009..arterioles (Af-Art) and efferent arterioles account for most renal vascular resistance; they control glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and peritubular pressure, and consequently renal function...
- Charge and size based filtration by ultrathin silicon membranesJames McGrath; Fiscal Year: 2007This work will investigate the potential of a nanoporous silicon membrane (pnc-Si) to provide revolutionary filtration of macromolecules based on their size and charge...
- A Novel Device for Determination of GFR MarkersBikas Vaidya; Fiscal Year: 2007..Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) is one of the best indexes of kidney function and it is determined by measuring the disappearance of ..
- Functions of VEGF-A in podocytes:implications for renal diseaseAlda Tufro; Fiscal Year: 2009..Podocyte VEGF-A is required for the development and maintenance of the glomerular filtration barrier...
- Functions of VEGF-A in podocytes:implications for renal diseaseAlda Tufro; Fiscal Year: 2010..Podocyte VEGF-A is required for the development and maintenance of the glomerular filtration barrier...
- Intercellular Signaling in Obstructive NephropathyROBERT CHEVALIER; Fiscal Year: 2005..obstruction (UUO), there is marked activation of the intrarenal renin-angiotensin system, and heterogeneity in filtration among individual nephrons...
- REGULATION OF DEVELOPMENTAL RENAL HEMODYNAMICSMichael Solhaug; Fiscal Year: 1999..kidney exhibits lower renal blood flow (RBF), higher renal vascular resistance (RVR), and lower glomerular filtration rate (GFR) compared to the adult...
- MR Angiography and Renography for Renovascular DiseaseVivian S Lee; Fiscal Year: 2010..a robust and quantitative low dose Gd-enhanced MR renography method for measuring single kidney glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and implemented a dual-injection method for ACE-inhibitor- enhanced MR renography to diagnose RVD...
- LAMININ BETA2 AND GLOMERULAR FILTRATIONJEFFREY MINER; Fiscal Year: 2009..We are interested in understanding the makeup of the glomerular filtration barrier and how it becomes damaged and leaky to plasma proteins...
- LAMININ BETA2 AND GLOMERULAR FILTRATIONJEFFREY MINER; Fiscal Year: 2009..We are interested in understanding the makeup of the glomerular filtration barrier and how it becomes damaged and leaky to plasma proteins...
- LAMININ BETA2 AND GLOMERULAR FILTRATIONJeffrey H Miner; Fiscal Year: 2010..We are interested in understanding the makeup of the glomerular filtration barrier and how it becomes damaged and leaky to plasma proteins...
- Insulin Resistance in Chronic Kidney DiseaseIan H De Boer; Fiscal Year: 2010..Moderate-severe CKD (stage 3-4, defined by glomerular filtration rate 15-59 mL/min/1...
- REGULATION OF INDIVIDUAL NEPHRON FILTRATION RATESWILLIAM DANTZLER; Fiscal Year: 1993..that function together in the concentrating mechanism, do not normally cease filtering, but may alter their filtration rates; and both arterial and portal venous blood supplies One strain of chickens has nephrogenic diabetes ..
- Cellular Physiology of PodocytesSTUART DRYER; Fiscal Year: 2009..of cells known as podocytes plays a crucial and dynamic role in establishing and maintaining the glomerular filtration barrier...