Summary: A prosthetic appliance for the replacement of areas of the maxilla, mandible, and face, missing as a result of deformity, disease, injury, or surgery. When the prosthesis replaces portions of the mandible only, it is referred to as MANDIBULAR PROSTHESIS.
Publications171 found, 100 shown here
- Maxillofacial rehabilitation of a large facial defect resulting from an arteriovenous malformation utilizing a two-piece prosthesisDonna M Hecker
Department of Restorative Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn 55455, USA
J Prosthet Dent 89:109-13. 2003..The pathogenesis and therapeutic alternatives for arteriovenous malformations is also discussed...
- Maxillofacial reconstruction with prefabricated osseous free flaps: a 3-year experience with 24 patientsDennis Rohner
Craniofacial Center Hirslanden, Aarau, Switzerland
Plast Reconstr Surg 112:748-57. 2003..Although it involves a two-stage procedure, the time for complete rehabilitation is shorter than with conventional procedures...
- Reconstruction of maxillary defects: the case for prosthetic rehabilitationArun B Sharma
Division of Prosthodontics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0758, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1770-3. 2005
- A protocol for maxillary reconstruction following oncology resection using zygomatic implantsJohn G Boyes-Varley
Division of Maxillo Facial and Oral Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Int J Prosthodont 20:521-31. 2007..This protocol simplifies the rehabilitation and management of these defects by reducing surgical intervention, hosptilization, postoperative morbidity and treatment time, and prosthodontic procedural complications...
- Reconstruction of total maxillectomy defect with implant-retained obturator prosthesisCemal Aydin
N Y State Dent J 73:38-41. 2007..Osseointegrated implants and ball attachments were used to provide retention, support and stability of the definitive obturator. Mastication, deglutition, articulation and the midfacial profile of the patient were rehabilitated...
- Hardness evaluation of prosthetic silicones containing opacifiers following chemical disinfection and accelerated agingMarcelo Coelho Goiato
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Araçatuba Dental School, Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 24:303-8. 2010..All groups displayed greater hardness after 1,008 hours of accelerated aging independent of disinfectant type. All of the hardness values were within the clinically acceptable range...
- Color stability after accelerated aging of two silicones, pigmented or not, for use in facial prosthesesDaniela Nardi Mancuso
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry of Aracatuba, Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, SP, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 23:144-8. 2009..The cosmetic powder used in this study was the pigment that most altered the color of the test specimens...
- Evaluation of hardness and surface roughness of two maxillofacial silicones following disinfectionMarcelo Coelho Goiato
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthesis, School of Dentistry of Aracatuba, Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, SP, Brazil
Braz Oral Res 23:49-53. 2009..MDX 4-4210 (28.59 Shore A, 0.789 Ra) presented higher values than Silastic 732 RTV (18.08 Shore A, 0.656 Ra) for both properties. Regarding the disinfection period, there was no significant difference in any of the materials tested...
- New organosilicon maxillofacial prosthetic materialsJ H Lai
LAI Laboratories, Inc, 12101 16th Avenue South, Burnsville, MN 55337, USA
Dent Mater 18:281-6. 2002..The purpose of this study is to evaluate the physical properties of new prosthetic materials based on methacryloxypropyl-terminated polydimethylsiloxane (MPDS-MF), and to compare the properties with those of A-2186...
- Bonding of maxillofacial silicone elastomers to an acrylic substrateMuhanad M Hatamleh
Biomaterials Research Group, School of Dentistry, University of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester, UK
Dent Mater 26:387-95. 2010..To investigate the effect of three different primers on shear and peel bond strengths between three maxillofacial silicone elastomers and an acrylic resin after 360 h of accelerated daylight-aging...
- Adhesive retention of silicone and chlorinated polyethylene for maxillofacial prosthesesSudarat Kiat-Amnuay
Department of Restorative Dentistry and Biomaterials, The University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston and M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Tex, USA
J Prosthet Dent 99:483-8. 2008..Studies determining which medical adhesives provide the best bond strength for maxillofacial prostheses are needed...
- Structural damages of maxillofacial biopolymers under solar agingP N Eleni
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Zografou Campus, 15780, Athens, Greece
J Mater Sci Mater Med 18:1675-81. 2007..A decrement in their melting points and heats was observed as irradiation time was increasing. Finally, experimental results demonstrated that solar radiation has a severe effect on the structural stability of the examined biomaterials...
- Patient satisfaction with maxillofacial prosthesis. Literature reviewMarcelo Coelho Goiato
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Sao Paulo State University, Araçatuba Dental School, Brazil
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 62:175-80. 2009..aimed to search information in database and conduct a literature review on patient satisfaction with maxillofacial prosthesis. The problems experienced by these patients may decrease when specialists keep the patient on regular ..
- Effect of opacifiers on color stability of pigmented maxillofacial silicone A-2186 subjected to artificial agingSudarat Kiat-Amnuay
Assistant Professor, Department of Restorative Dentistry and Biomaterials, The University of Texas, Houston Health Science Center, Dental Branch, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Prosthodont 11:109-16. 2002....
- An elastomeric material for facial prostheses: synthesis, experimental and numerical testing aspectsKathryn Bellamy
Matrix Biology and Tissue Repair Research Unit, Department of Dental Health and Biological Sciences, Dental School, University of Wales College of Medicine, CF14 4XY Cardiff, UK
Biomaterials 24:5061-6. 2003..This preliminary study will serve as a basis to introduce more complex features such as viscoelasticity and wrinkling of the soft polymeric structure in order to optimise the performances of the final prosthetic material...
- Effect of adhesive retention on maxillofacial prostheses. Part I: skin dressings and solvent removersS Kiat amnuay
School of Dentistry, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292 0001, USA
J Prosthet Dent 84:335-40. 2000..SP improved adhesion of both SMA (15%) and E3 (27%). SMA was still far more retentive. US had no effect on retention. SMA remained on the prostheses, whereas E3 left a difficult-to-remove residue on the skin...
- Positioning magnets on a multiple/sectional maxillofacial prosthesisMarcelo Coelho Goiato
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Araçatuba School of Dentistry, University of the State of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Contemp Dent Pract 8:101-7. 2007..The aim of this report is to describe a quick and simple method of positioning retention magnets when deformed patients are rehabilitated with an oculopalpebral prostheses attached to a maxillary denture/obturator...
- Fabrication of a maxillofacial prosthesis using a computer-aided design and manufacturing systemMitsuhiro Tsuji
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saga Medical School, Saga 849 0937, Japan
J Prosthodont 13:179-83. 2004..This paper describes a computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) system for the fabrication of maxillofacial prostheses. This system will provide a more consistently accurate reproduction of facial morphology...
- Interactions of pigments and opacifiers on color stability of MDX4-4210/type A maxillofacial elastomers subjected to artificial agingSudarat Kiat-Amnuay
Department of Restorative Dentistry and Biomaterials, University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston, 77030, USA
J Prosthet Dent 95:249-57. 2006..The color instability and degradation of maxillofacial elastomers limit the function and cosmetic quality of facial prostheses...
- Color stability comparison of silicone facial prostheses following disinfectionMarcelo Coelho Goiato
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Prosthodont 18:242-4. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the color stability of two silicones for use in facial prostheses, under the influence of chemical disinfection and storage time...
- Influence of pigment and opacifier on dimensional stability and detail reproduction of maxillofacial silicone elastomerMarcela Filie Haddad
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Araçatuba Dental School, UNESP Aracatuba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Craniofac Surg 22:1612-6. 2011..Accelerated aging is responsible for most of the dimensional changes in Silastic MDX4 4210, but all dimensional changes measured in this study remained within the limits of stability necessary for this application...
- Irritation test of tissue adhesives for facial prosthesesJ E Dahl
NIOM Scandinavian Institute of Dental Materials, Haslum, Norway
J Prosthet Dent 84:453-7. 2000..Adhesives are commonly used to improve the retention of a facial prosthesis to the skin. Although no requirement exists for facial prosthetic adhesives, an adhesive should be nonirritating and nontoxic...
- Effect of multi-adhesive layering on retention of extraoral maxillofacial silicone prostheses in vivoSudarat Kiat-Amnuay
Dental Branch, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, USA
J Prosthet Dent 92:294-8. 2004..Loss of retention of maxillofacial prostheses often makes the margin visible or the prosthesis dislodge. Using several medical adhesives in combination may improve retention...
- Effect of nano-oxide concentration on the mechanical properties of a maxillofacial silicone elastomerYing Han
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Stomatology, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
J Prosthet Dent 100:465-73. 2008..Little has been reported on how the mechanical properties of a maxillofacial prosthetic elastomer may be affected by the addition of nanosized oxide particles used as an opacifier...
- Marginal deterioration of the silicone for facial prosthesis with pigments after effect of storage period and chemical disinfectionAimée Maria Guiotti
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Santa Fé do Sul Dental School, FUNEC, Santa Fé do Sul, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Craniofac Surg 21:142-5. 2010..The use of disinfection did not contribute to the marginal deterioration of polymer (silicone), regardless of the pigmentation and artificial aging...
- Visual evaluation of color stability after accelerated aging of pigmented and nonpigmented silicones to be used in facial prosthesesDaniela Nardi Mancuso
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Araçatuba Dental School, UNESP Sao Paulo State University, Aracatuba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Indian J Dent Res 20:77-80. 2009..The objective of this study was to evaluate by a visual method of comparison the color stability of nonpigmented and pigmented facial silicones after accelerated aging...
- Evaluation of dimensional change and detail reproduction in silicones for facial prosthesesMarcelo Coelho Goiato
Department of Dentistry Materials and Prosthesis, Faculty of Dentistry of Aracatuba, University of the State of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Acta Odontol Latinoam 21:85-8. 2008..Regarding detail reproduction, no alteration of values was observed in any of the materials analyzed, regardless of storage period or disinfection...
- The effects of primers and surface bonding characteristics on the adhesion of polyurethane to two commonly used silicone elastomersPaul P Chang
Department of Prosthodontics, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Prosthodont 18:23-31. 2009..This may result in failure of such prostheses. The purpose of this investigation was to evaluate the effects of five primers on bonding between polyurethane and two commonly used silicone elastomers...
- Effect of adhesive retention of maxillofacial prostheses. Part 2: Time and reapplication effectsS Kiat amnuay
School of Dentistry, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292 0001, USA
J Prosthet Dent 85:438-41. 2001..After removal of the silicone rubber strip and reapplication of Secure(2) Medical Adhesive over the existing adhesive, bond strengths increased...
- Functional reconstruction of maxilla with titanium mesh and pedicled buccal fat pad flapGuan fu Chen
Plast Reconstr Surg 115:334-6. 2005
- Midface volume replacement with a transmaxillary implantSteven Burres
Aesthetic Plast Surg 29:1-4; discussion 5. 2005..Volume replacement is an essential component of midface rejuvenation. Previously designed alloplastic implants augment bony prominences. The Maxout implant was configured to add height to the lowest surface, the canine fossa...
- Systematic review of the evidence supporting intra-oral maxillofacial prosthodontic careJ Fraser McCord
Unit of Prosthodontics, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, UK
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 12:129-35. 2004..Finally, suggestions for future research in the field of maxillofacial prosthodontics are made...
- Residual facial disfigurement after the ablative surgery of a lachrymal gland carcinoma: a clinical report of the prosthetic rehabilitationL Ciocca
Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Prosthetic Rehabilitation, Department of Oral Science, Alma Mater Sudiorum University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Indian J Cancer 41:85-8. 2004..A rehabilitation with a maxillofacial prosthesis was proposed to restore the aesthetic appearance of the patient without inserting craniofacial implants...
- In vitro effect of microwave irradiation on the retentive force of magnetsJames C Lemon
M D Anderson Canncer Center and University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Dental Branch, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Prosthet Dent 91:368-73. 2004..Few studies have addressed the possible effect(s) of microwave irradiation on the magnetic properties of "permanent" magnets during the fabrication of dental and maxillofacial prostheses...
- Extra-oral craniofacial endosseous implants and radiotherapyM M Abu-Serriah
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Glasgow Dental Hospital and School, UK
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:585-92. 2003..The EOECI rehabilitation and osteoradionecrosis and the evidence of the potential role of hyperbaric oxygen are reviewed. Strategies for improving the clinical outcome of EOECIs are suggested...
- [Efficacy of use of X-ray contrast carbon material in maxillo-facial surgery]R V Golovin
Stomatologiia (Mosk) 84:28-32. 2005..It was successful and the samples were visualized. In these cases spiral computed tomography is the optimal tool to make all deformation volume clear, to plan operative interventions and to observe the treatment results...
- A hollow-bulb interim obturator for maxillary resection. A case reportB Rilo
Prosthodontics Department, Faculty of Medicine and Odontology, Santiago de Compostela University, Spain
J Oral Rehabil 32:234-6. 2005..The advantages of this approach are rapid construction and ease of ongoing adjustment during the healing process...
- [Specificity of prosthetic dental rehabilitation in cleft lip and palate sequels]G Raoul
Département universitaire de chirurgie maxillofacial et stomatologie, rez de chaussée hôpital B Roger Salengro, Rue Emile Laine, CHRU de Lille, 59037 Lille Cedex, France
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 108:378-82. 2007..If previous management of the cleft patient did not provide normal occlusion, dental rehabilitation is the alternative. We describe implant-supported prosthesis; implant stabilized prosthesis, bridge, and maxillofacial prosthesis.
- A study on reproducing silicone shade guide for maxillofacial prostheses matching Indian skin colorSatyabodh S Guttal
Department of Prosthodontics, SDM College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Sattur, Dharwad 580 009, Karnataka State, India
Indian J Dent Res 19:191-5. 2008..The use of powder colors to help develop a simplified silicone shade guide to aid in the fabrication of silicone facial prostheses for Indian patients has been described here...
- Maxillofacial prosthetic management of the maxillary resection patientSteven P Haug
Division of Prosthodontics, Restorative Dentistry, Indiana University School of Dentistry, 1121 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 15:51-68. 2007
- Development of a static and dynamic simulator for osteosyntheses of the mandibleM Karoglan
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Technical University Munich, Munich, Germany
Technol Health Care 14:449-55. 2006..Therefore an ethically correct and economically reasonable testing of industrial products and clinical methods of osteosynthesis can be performed with this simulator...
- Maxillary and mandibular osteosyntheses with PLGA and P(L/DL)LA implants: a 5-year inpatient biocompatibility and degradation experienceConstantin A Landes
Maxillofacial and Facial Plastic Surgery, J W Goethe University Medical Center, Frankfurt, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 117:2347-60. 2006..e., swelling, osteolyses, and fistulation), indirect implant degradation (i.e., palpability and radiographic reossification), and direct implant degradation (i.e., molecular weight and crystallinity of explants)...
- Primary reconstruction of the maxilla following maxillectomy with or without sacrifice of the orbitNeal D Futran
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:1765-9. 2005
- Effects of defect configuration, size, and remaining teeth on masticatory function in post-maxillectomy patientsS Koyama
Maxillofacial Prosthetics Clinic, Tohoku University Hospital, Sendai, Japan
J Oral Rehabil 32:635-41. 2005..648, P=0.001). The presence of teeth, the size and configuration of the defect influenced the masticatory function of post-maxillectomy patients with obturator prostheses...
- Facial prosthetic rehabilitation: preprosthetic surgical techniques and biomaterialsJames C Lemon
Section of Oncologic Dentistry, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 13:255-62. 2005..Teamwork between the surgeon and maxillofacial prosthodontist will ensure an optimal surgical preparation and definitive prosthesis...
- Simple maxillary reconstruction using free tissue transfer and prosthesesMinoru Sakuraba
Division of Head and Neck Surgery, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Chiba, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:594-8; discussion 599-600. 2003..Speech function was rated as excellent on Hirose's scoring system for Japanese speech ability. The authors believe that their method of palatomaxillary reconstruction is both simple and reliable...
- Comparison of maxillary implant-supported prosthesis in irradiated and non-irradiated patientsYingguang Cao
Center of Stomatological Medicine, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430030
J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 23:209-12. 2003..01). It was concluded that the implants and prostheses in irradiated patients have significantly lower survival rates than in non-irradiated patients...
- Combined modality treatment of Ewing's sarcoma of the maxillaLeonard H Wexler
Department of Pediatrics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, Box 210, New York, New York 10021, USA
Head Neck 25:168-72. 2003..Primary bone sarcomas arising in osseous structures of the head and neck are rare. These tumors are often incompletely resected and treated with radiotherapy for local control...
- A long-term retrospective outcome assessment of facial growth, secondary surgical need, and maxillary lateral incisor status in a surgical-orthodontic protocol for complete cleftsSheldon W Rosenstein
Cleft Lip and Palate Program at Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Ill, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:1-13; discussion 14-6. 2003....
- [Magnet-retained orbital-zygomatic prosthesis--a case report]Udo F Schneider
Universitatsklinik fur Zahn, Mund und Kieferheilkunde Abteilung Poliklinik für Zahnärztliche Prothetik, Klinikum der Albert Ludwigs Universität Freiburg
Schweiz Monatsschr Zahnmed 112:342-54. 2002
- Preshaped hydroxyapatite tricalcium-phosphate implant using three-dimensional computed tomography in the reconstruction of bone deformities of craniomaxillofacial regionHideyuki Tada
Division of Plastic Surgery, Nara Medical University, 840 Shijo Cho, Kashihara, Nara 634 8521, Japan
J Craniofac Surg 13:287-92. 2002....
- A mechanically retained, four part oral and facial prosthesis: a clinical reportLeanne M Sykes
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, School of Oral Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, PO Wits, 2050, Johannesburg, South Africa
SADJ 58:11-5. 2003..This provided a functional prosthesis as well as psychological benefits to the patient who had no access to medical facilities or supplies in her rural home town...
- A maxillary lip prosthesis retained by an obturator with attachments: A clinical reportMeiko Oki
Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Prosthet Dent 88:135-8. 2002..The thin margin of the lip prosthesis ensured that it adapted well to functional movements...
- Surface modification of an experimental silicone rubber maxillofacial material to improve wettabilityTariq Aziz
Department of Basic Dental Science, College of Medicine, University of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XY, UK
J Dent 31:213-6. 2003..The purpose of the study was to surface modify an experimental silicone rubber material in order to improve wettability...
- Use of the infra hyoid musculo-cutaneous flap in soft palate reconstructionP Gangloff
Head and Neck Surgery Unit, Oncologic Surgery Department, Centre Alexis Vautrin, Avenue de Bourgogne, Brabois, 54511 Vandoeuvre les Nancy Cedex, France
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:1165-9. 2006..from oropharynx who underwent infra hyoid musculo-cutaneous flap reconstruction including soft palate in alternative to free radial forearm flap or maxillofacial prosthesis. Post operative radiotherapy was performed for all patients.
- CAD/CAM ear model and virtual construction of the moldLeonardo Ciocca
Section of Oral and Maxillofacial Rehabilitation, Department of Oral Science, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Prosthet Dent 98:339-43. 2007This article describes a technique to make an implant-retained maxillofacial prosthesis using CAD/CAM technology and a rapid prototyping machine...
- Relationship between symptoms of dryness and moisture levels in patients with maxillofacial prosthesesMamoru Murakami
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Prosthodontics, Field of Oral and Maxillofacial Rehabilitation, Course for Advanced Therapeutics, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima, Japan
J Prosthodont Res 54:65-9. 2010..This study aimed to examine the relationship between symptoms of dry mouth and the moisture levels in patients with maxillofacial prostheses...
- Binder's maxillo-nasal dysplasia: report of a caseP A Akeredolu
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Idiaraba, Lagos, Nigeria
Odontostomatol Trop 30:5-8. 2007..Her principal complaint was the associated missing incisors. The incisors and the premaxilla were satisfactorily replaced with a removable maxillofacial prosthesis.
- Effect of fabrication process on the bond strength between silicone elastomer and acrylic resin for maxillofacial prosthesisMariko Hattori
Clinics for Oral and Maxillofacial Rehabilitation, University Hospital, Tokyo Medical and Dental University
Dent Mater J 33:16-20. 2014..Bond strength was generally greater when silicone elastomer was polymerized using a flaskless stone mold. ..
- Measuring the color of maxillofacial prosthetic materialX Hu
Division of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry, The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, 305 W 12th Ave, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Dent Res 89:1522-7. 2010..This non-contact system is recommended for color measurement of maxillofacial prosthetic materials...
- Late infections associated with alloplastic facial implantsOscar Hasson
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Kaplan Medical Center, Rehovot, Israel
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 65:321-3. 2007
- Effects of outdoor weathering on facial prosthetic elastomersPanagiota N Eleni
Laboratory of Process Analysis and Plant Design, School of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Zografou Campus, 15780, Athens, Greece
Odontology 99:68-76. 2011..The effect of weathering on samples' properties was introduced through its effect on the mathematical models' parameters...
- An 8-year assessment of maxillofacial prosthetic patients treated in a Department of Prosthetic DentistryL M Sykes
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, School of Oral Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Private Bag 3, Wits 2050
SADJ 56:198-202. 2001..The results of this study indicate that there is a need for a specialised Maxillofacial Prosthetic Unit. Although the present fee schedule needs to be revised, there is still a need for a substantial amount of state subsidy...
- Stress analysis in oral obturator prostheses: imaging photoelasticAldiéris Alves Pesqueira
Sao Paulo State University UNESP, Araçatuba School of Dentistry, Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Aracatuba, Brazil
J Biomed Opt 18:061203. 2013..The bar-clip system exhibited the highest stress concentration followed by the O-ring system and conventional denture (control). Images generated by the photoelastic method help in the oral rehabilitator planning...
- Brain abscess by mycotic and bacterial infection in a diabetic patient: clinical report and review of literatureValentina Pellacchia
Second Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University of Rome La Sapienza, Azienda Ospedaliera S Andrea, Maxillo facial Surgery, Rome, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 17:578-84. 2006..The authors decided to position an intraoral prosthesis to restore palatal integrity and masticatory function and inserted four titanium fixtures for the retention of the bone-anchored facial prosthesis...
- Image data based reconstruction of the midface using a patient-specific implant in combination with a vascularized osteomyocutaneous scapular flapChristian Mertens
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 400, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 41:219-25. 2013....
- Reconstruction of the exenterated orbit with osseointegrated implantsA V H Greig
Craniofacial Orbito Palpebral Service, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 63:1656-65. 2010..Close collaborative planning by both the surgeon and the prosthetist from the outset is essential...
- Effect of extraoral aging conditions on color stability of maxillofacial silicone elastomerMuhanad M Hatamleh
School of Dentistry, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
J Prosthodont 19:536-43. 2010..The purpose of this study was to investigate color stability of pigmented and nonpigmented maxillofacial silicone elastomer exposed to different human and environmental aging conditions...
- Candida albicans adherence on silicone elastomers: effect of polymerisation duration and exposure to simulated saliva and nasal secretionHuseyin Kurtulmus
Ege University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Prosthodontics, Izmir, Turkey
Dent Mater 26:76-82. 2010..This study investigated Candida albicans adhesion onto commercial maxillo-facial silicone elastomers based on different polymerisation processes...
- Disinfection of maxillofacial silicone elastomer using a novel antimicrobial agent: recombinant human beta-defensin-3Y Shi
Department of Prosthodontics, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, Shaanxi Province, China
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:415-20. 2009..25% group. In conclusion, rHBD3 exhibits antibacterial activity against oral pathogenic strains that adhere to maxillofacial elastomer, and may, thus, contribute to the prevention of infections caused by S. aureus and C. albicans...
- Fibre reinforcement enhances bonding of soft lining to acrylic dental and maxillofacial prosthesesMuhanad Moh d Hatamleh
University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 16:116-21. 2008..Modes of failure were different; mixed and cohesive only exhibited. StickTech Net fibre-reinforced surfaces exhibited stronger bond to Molloplast-B over non-reinforced interfaces, indicating promising clinical implications...
- Influence of pigments and opacifiers on color stability of silicone maxillofacial elastomerSudarat Kiat-Amnuay
Department of Restorative Dentistry and Biomaterials, University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Dent 37:e45-50. 2009..To determine the effects of opacifiers and silicone pigments on the color stability of silicone A-2000 maxillofacial prosthetic elastomers subjected to artificial aging...
- [The complex facial prosthesis. The value of bone-anchored maxillofacial prostheses in the treatment of extensive loss of facial tissue]S Palmer
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 102:261-5. 2001....
- [From the concept of permanent percutaneous connections to that of permanent percutaneous electrical connections]P Sabin
Service d'ORL, , Suresnes
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 102:283-8. 2001..an extra-oral implant provides two main functions: support of bone anchored hearing aid (BAHA) and fixing maxillofacial prosthesis (MFP)...
- Tensile and microindentation properties of maxillofacial elastomers after different disinfecting proceduresPanagiota N Eleni
Laboratory of Process Analysis and Design, Department of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Zografou Campus, 15780 Athens, Greece Electronic address
J Mech Behav Biomed Mater 28:147-55. 2013Daily disinfection of maxillofacial prosthesis may reduce their service-life and lead to replacement.
- Color stability of maxillofacial silicone with nanoparticle pigment and opacifier submitted to disinfection and artificial agingMarcela Filié Haddad
UNESP, Araçatuba Dental School, Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Rua José Bonifácio, 1193 CEP 16015 050 Araçatuba, SP, Brazil
J Biomed Opt 16:095004. 2011..All values of △E obtained, independent of the disinfectant and the period of artificial aging, were considered acceptable in agreement with the norms presented in literature...
- Blame it on the surgeonsR Shankar
Anaesthesia 57:88. 2002
- A new Ti-5Ag alloy for customized prostheses by three-dimensional printing (3DP)S B Hong
Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Dent Res 80:860-3. 2001..It is concluded that the Ti-Ag system may be suitable for fabrication of customized prostheses by 3DP...
- [A preliminary study on maxillofacial prosthesis using structured light three-dimensional scanning and rapid prototyping technique]Jian Sun
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Stomatology Ninth People s Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200011, China
Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi 42:403-5. 2007....
- ["Relaxant" awake but still relaxed]B Pilgram
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie und Operative Intensivmedizin, Universitat zu Koln
Anaesthesist 53:629-32. 2004..Several months after the incident, the patient reported having neither increased fear of surgery nor any negative psychological effects on her life following this incident of awareness...
- Reconstruction of maxilla with free latissimus dorsi-scapular osteomusculocutaneous flapJohn C Hardin
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:965; author reply 965-6. 2003
- Advanced technology and the future of facial prosthetics in head and neck reconstructionJ Wolfaardt
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:121-3. 2003
- Nasoalveolar molding for infants born with clefts of the lip, alveolus, and palateBarry H Grayson
Institute of Reconstructive Plastic Surgery, New York University Medical Center, NY 10016, USA
Clin Plast Surg 31:149-58, vii. 2004..Preservation of these presurgical changes is achieved through the coordinated and modified surgical technique of the primary cleft repair...
- Effects of storage in simulated skin secretions on mechanical behavior and color of polydimethylsiloxanes elastomersPanagiota N Eleni
Department of Process Analysis and Plant Design, School of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Craniofac Surg 22:830-6. 2011Among the deteriorations that occur in maxillofacial prosthesis due to exposure in various environmental factors, sebaceous oils (sebum) and perspiration are also responsible for several alterations.
- Prosthetically guided maxillofacial surgery: evaluation of the accuracy of a surgical guide and custom-made bone plate in oncology patients after mandibular reconstructionSimona Mazzoni
Faculty of Medicine and Section of Prosthodontics, Department of Oral Science, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, and the Plastic Surgery Unit, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Plast Reconstr Surg 131:1376-85. 2013....
- Gaining retention, support and stability of a maxillary obturatorHina Zafar Raja
Department of Prosthodontics, Combined Military Hospital, Lahore Medical College, Lahore
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 21:311-4. 2011..Patient's resonance, speech, retention and stability were markedly improved. Follow-up was done weekly in first month, fortnightly for the next 2 months then after every 3 months. In succeeding years it will be once every year...
- Mechanical properties of human bone surrounding plateau root form implants retrieved after 0.3-24 years of functionMarta Baldassarri
Department of Biomaterials and Biomimetics, New York University College of Dentistry, New York, USA
J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 100:2015-21. 2012..3). This work suggests that human cortical bone around plateau root form implants presents an increase in elastic modulus and hardness during the first 5 years following implantation and presents stable mechanical properties thereafter...
- The application of rapid prototyping in prosthodonticsJian Sun
Department of Prosthodontics, Ninth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine, Shanghai Key Laboratory of Stomatology, Shanghai, China
J Prosthodont 21:641-4. 2012..Many people could benefit from this new technology through various forms of dental prosthesis production. Traditional prosthodontic practices could also be changed by RP techniques in the near future...
- CAD-CAM prosthetically guided bone regeneration using preformed titanium mesh for the reconstruction of atrophic maxillary archesL Ciocca
Section of Prosthodontics, Department of Oral Science, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Via S Vitale 59, 40125, Bologna, Italy
Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin 16:26-32. 2013..The protocol presented here is a viable, reproducible way to determine the correct bone augmentation for the final implant-supported prosthetic rehabilitation...
- Jaw in a day: total maxillofacial reconstruction using digital technologyJamie P Levine
Department of Plastic Surgery, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 131:1386-91. 2013..In current practice, dental reconstruction is delayed for 3 to 6 months, leaving the patient without teeth in the interim. This can be disfiguring and anxiety provoking for the patient...
- Upper lip prosthesis retained to a palatal obturatorMarcelo Coelho Goiato
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry of Aracatuba, Unesp Univ Estadual Paulista, Aracatuba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Craniofac Surg 22:e59-62. 2011..The prosthesis insertion restored the patient's facial aesthetics, contributing not only to function, but also to psychosocial adaptation...
- Rehabilitation of an extraoral and intraoral defect complicated with microstomia. A study caseL M Abdulhadi
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 20:81-5. 2012..This resulted in practically good retention, placement, and adaptation of the two parts of the prosthesis...
- Scope of prosthodontic services for patients with head and neck cancerS S Mantri
Department of Prosthodontics, Hitkarini Dental College and Hospital, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India
Indian J Cancer 49:39-45. 2012..Normal function may not be achieved but optimal function should always be achieved and the patients can lead a near to normal life...
- Fabrication of temporary speech bulb prosthesis: A clinical reportK Kasim Mohamed
Department of Prosthodontics, Sri Ramachandra Dental College, Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai, India
J Indian Prosthodont Soc 10:71-4. 2010b>Maxillofacial prosthesis is an art and science which not only replaces the lost structure sometimes it restores the functions also...
- Can we assess quality of life in patients with head and neck cancer? A preliminary report from the American Academy of Maxillofacial ProstheticsDonna M Hecker
Clinical Dental Specialist, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, Minneapolis, Minn, USA
J Prosthet Dent 88:344-51. 2002..This article provides background on previous quality-of-life studies and reviews the need for and aims of the AAMP assessment instrument...
- Adhesion of maxillofacial silicone elastomer to a fiber-reinforced composite resin frameworkRosita Kantola
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases, Vaasa Central Hospital, Finland
Int J Prosthodont 24:582-8. 2011..The purpose of this research was to study the tensile bond strength between a room temperature-polymerized maxillofacial silicone elastomer and a unidirectional FRC...
- Application of a specially designed palatal lift prosthesis to a patient with velopharyngeal incompetence due to severe brain injuryKosuke Honda
Quintessence Int 38:e316-20. 2007....
- Rehabilitation of nose using silicone based maxillofacial prosthesisBilal Ahmed
Department of Prosthodontics and Oral Implantology, University of Faisalabad, Faisalabad
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 20:65-7. 2010..This report presents a case of prosthetic rehabilitation of the nasal component of the face secondary to nasal leishmaniasis, using precision attachment retained maxillofacial prosthesis.
- Orofacial rehabilitation of patients with post-cancer treatment--an overview and report of three casesK S Guttal
Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology, SDM College of Dental Sciences and Hospital, Sattur, Dharwad, India
Indian J Cancer 47:59-64. 2010..This article presents an overview of the orofacial rehabilitation of postcancer treatments along with case reports...
- Wettability, water sorption and water solubility of seven silicone elastomers used for maxillofacial prosthesesAnna Karin Hulterström
NIOM Scandinavian Institute of Dental Materials, P O Box 70, Haslum 1305, Norway
J Mater Sci Mater Med 19:225-31. 2008..The results of this study also suggests that it might be of interest to test sorption and solubility of materials that are to be implanted, since most of the materials had some solubility...
- Survival rate of zygomatic implants in atrophic or partially resected maxillae prior to functional loading: a retrospective clinical reportRoger A Zwahlen
Department of Cranio Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital of Zurich, Ramistrasse 100, CH 8126 Zürich, Switzerland
Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 21:413-20. 2006..The purpose of this article was to evaluate the survival rate of 34 remote anchorage implants placed in 18 patients from placement to uncovering, prior to any prosthetic loading...
- CLINICAL CANCER EDUCATION PROGRAM--ORAL ONCOLOGYHENRY GOLDMAN; Fiscal Year: 1980..surgical, radiation, and head and neck oncologists as well as specialists in voice rehabilitation, maxillofacial prosthesis, pathology and other allied health professionals have been recruited to this effort...
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR TARGETING OF TMJ DESTRUCTIONDAVID TIPTON; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is hoped that completion of these three aims will provide a detailed knowledge of the biological basis of TMJ destruction via synovial fibroblasts and MMP pathway. ..
- DONOR SPECIFIC IMMUNOSUPPRESSION TO TRACHEAL ALLOGRAFTSEric Genden; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific Aim II will focus on alternative methods of inducing donor specific tolerance to tracheal allografts. Specific Aim III will focus on the behavior of the tracheal allograft and its affect upon the established state of tolerance. ..
- VELOPHARYNGEAL FUNCTION FOR SPEECH AFTER PALATAL SURGERYWilliam Williams; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, this study may serve as a model for international prospective clinical trials, such as in Russia and Ukraine where treatment of cleft palate is centralized. ..
- Prospective evaluation of immediate temporized implantsMichael Block; Fiscal Year: 2007..Standardized hard and soft tissue data will be collected preextraction as baseline, and then prospectively for at least two years in this trial, to compare and contrast the methods. ..
- Facial and Dental Arch Growth Following Palatal SurgeryWilliam Williams; Fiscal Year: 2008..A secondary part of the study will be a long-term follow-up of velopharyngeal function for speech. ..