Genomes and Genes
nebulizers and vaporizers
Summary: Devices that cause a liquid or solid to be converted into an aerosol (spray) or a vapor. It is used in drug administration by inhalation, humidification of ambient air, and in certain analytical instruments.
Publications302 found, 100 shown here
- Special problems in aerosol delivery: artificial airwaysR Dhand
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Loyola University of Chicago Stritch School of Medicine, and Hines Veterans Affairs Hospital, Illinois 60141, USA
Respir Care 45:636-45. 2000..3), and helium-oxygen mixture instead of air or oxygen are other measures to reduce aerosol loss in the airway and thereby improve aerosol delivery to the lower respiratory tract of mechanically ventilated patients...
- Preliminary data from phase II studies with Respimat, a propellant-free soft mist inhalerD Pavia
Medical Division, Boehringer Ingelheim, Ltd, Bracknell, Berkshire, UK
J Aerosol Med 12:S33-9. 1999..Thus, Respimat promises to be a valuable alternative to conventional CFC-MDIs, with the additional benefit of improved drug targeting to the lungs...
- Effect of incorrect use of dry powder inhalers on management of patients with asthma and COPDFederico Lavorini
Unità Funzionale di Medicina Respiratoria, Universita degli Studi di Firenze, Italy
Respir Med 102:593-604. 2008..Incorrect usage of inhaler devices might have a major influence on the clinical effectiveness of the delivered drug. This issue is poorly addressed in management guidelines...
- Assessment of handling of inhaler devices in real life: an observational study in 3811 patients in primary careM Molimard
Departement de Pharmacologie, CHU Pellegrin Carreire, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
J Aerosol Med 16:249-54. 2003..There is a need for continued education of prescribers and users in the proper use of these devices to improve treatment efficacy...
- Tiotropium versus placebo for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseCharlotta Karner
Population Health Sciences and Education, St George s, University of London, London, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 7:CD009285. 2012....
- Intranasal midazolam vs rectal diazepam for the home treatment of acute seizures in pediatric patients with epilepsyMaija Holsti
Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, 295 Chipeta Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:747-53. 2010..To compare intranasal midazolam, using a Mucosal Atomization Device (IN-MMAD), with rectal diazepam (RD) for the home treatment of seizures in children with epilepsy...
- Characterization and deposition of respirable large- and small-particle bioaerosolsRichard J Thomas
Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, Salisbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:6437-43. 2008..The aerosols generated by the Collison nebulizer and the FFAG differ with respect to mass distribution, distribution of the entrapped particulates, bacterial survival, and deposition within the murine respiratory tract...
- Pulmonary delivery of insulin with nebulized DL-lactide/glycolide copolymer (PLGA) nanospheres to prolong hypoglycemic effectY Kawashima
Gifu Pharmaceutical University, 5 6 1 Mitahora Higashi, Gifu, Japan
J Control Release 62:279-87. 1999..This result could be attributed to the sustained releasing of insulin from the nanospheres deposited widely on to the whole of lung...
- Peripheral deposition of alpha1-protease inhibitor using commercial inhalation devicesP Brand
Clinical Research Group Aerosols in Medicine of the GSF Institute for Inhalation Biology and the Asklepios Clinic for Respiratory Medicine, Gauting, Germany
Eur Respir J 22:263-7. 2003..The higher efficiency of drug delivery using the AKITA system is due to the fact that this device controls breathing patterns, which are optimised for each patient individually...
- Design, assembly, and validation of a nose-only inhalation exposure system for studies of aerosolized viable influenza H5N1 virus in ferretsRichard S Tuttle
Aerosol Research and Engineering Laboratories, 13300 West 98th Street, Lenexa, Kansas 66215, USA
Virol J 7:135. 2010..Particular attention was paid towards system safety, efficacy of dissemination, the viability of aerosolized virus, and sampling methodology...
- Lipid nanocapsules: ready-to-use nanovectors for the aerosol delivery of paclitaxelJose Hureaux
Pulmonology Department, Academic Hospital, Angers, France
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 73:239-46. 2009..Chemical parameters, such as acidity and osmolarity, were optimised, and a storage procedure for PTX-LNC batches was set-up. Animal studies are now needed to determine the tolerance and therapeutic potential of LNC dispersion aerosols...
- Repeated instruction on inhalation technique improves adherence to the therapeutic regimen in asthmaMasaya Takemura
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Kitano Hospital, Tazuke Kofukai, Medical Research Institute, Osaka, Japan
J Asthma 47:202-8. 2010..The objective of this study was to assess the factors and mechanisms that contribute to and the clinical outcomes relating to adherence to inhalation therapy...
- Effectiveness of fluticasone propionate and salmeterol combination delivered via the Diskus device in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDonald A Mahler
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, 1 Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH 03756 0001, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1084-91. 2002..We conclude that FSC improved lung function and reduced the severity of dyspnea compared with individual components and placebo...
- Formulation and cytotoxicity of doxorubicin nanoparticles carried by dry powder aerosol particlesShirzad Azarmi
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2N8
Int J Pharm 319:155-61. 2006..The cell uptake of free DOX and DOX delivered by nanoparticles was confirmed using confocal laser scanning microscopy. This study supports the approach of lung cancer treatment using nanoparticles in dry powder aerosol form...
- Scientific rationale for using a single inhaler for asthma controlP J Barnes
Section of Airway Disease, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, Dovehouse St, London SW3 6LY, UK
Eur Respir J 29:587-95. 2007..There is now a strong scientific rationale for single inhaler therapy in asthma, but more research is now needed to better understand the mechanisms involved...
- The efficacy and safety of fluticasone propionate (250 microg)/salmeterol (50 microg) combined in the Diskus inhaler for the treatment of COPDNicola A Hanania
Baylor College of Medicine, Pulmonary Critical Care, Ben Taub General Hospital, 1504 Taub Loop, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Chest 124:834-43. 2003....
- Mucoadhesive nanoparticulate systems for peptide drug deliveryH Takeuchi
Department of Pharmaceutical Engineering, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, 5-6-1 Mitahora-higashi, Gifu 502-8585, Japan
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 47:39-54. 2001....
- Formulation strategy and use of excipients in pulmonary drug deliveryGabrielle Pilcer
Laboratory of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
Int J Pharm 392:1-19. 2010....
- Efficacy and safety of ipratropium bromide/albuterol delivered via Respimat inhaler versus MDIR ZuWallack
St Francis Hospital Medical Center, Hartford, CT 06105, USA
Respir Med 104:1179-88. 2010..Clinical Trial Identifier Number: NCT00400153]...
- Compliance from self-reported versus pharmacy claims data with metered-dose inhalersS R Erickson
College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1065, USA
Ann Pharmacother 35:997-1003. 2001..To determine how well self-reported compliance with metered-dose inhalers (MDIs) agrees with compliance determined from pharmacy claims data. Additional analyses were conducted to establish phychmetric properties of the questionnaire...
- Aerosolized chemotherapyFrederic Gagnadoux
Departement de Pneumologie, CHU, Angers, France
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 21:61-70. 2008..Further studies integrating safety, pharmacokinetic, and efficacy considerations are required to determine whether there is a place for local administration of chemotherapy via inhalation in lung cancer...
- Inhalatory therapy training: a priority challenge for the physicianAndrea S Melani
Respiratory Physiopathology and Rehabilitation, Cardiothoracic Department, Polyclinic Le Scotte, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Senese, Siena, Italy
Acta Biomed 78:233-45. 2007..Whatever the chosen inhaler, education from health caregivers has a key-role for improving inhaler technique and compliance. Differences among delivery devices represent another challenge to patient use and caregiver instruction...
- The effects of nicotine, denicotinized tobacco, and nicotine-containing tobacco on cigarette craving, withdrawal, and self-administration in male and female smokersSean P Barrett
Department of Psychology, Dalhousie University, Halifax NS B3H 4J1, Canada
Behav Pharmacol 21:144-52. 2010..Findings suggest that DT is effective in acutely reducing many smoking abstinence symptoms, especially in women, but a combination of nicotine and non-nicotine tobacco ingredients may be necessary to suppress smoking behavior...
- Characterization of nebulized liposomal amikacin (Arikace) as a function of droplet sizeZhili Li
Transave, Inc, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey 08852, USA
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 21:245-54. 2008..The methodology applied here appears useful in evaluating aerosolized liposome systems. However, our results should not be assumed to apply to other liposome/drug compositions and nebulizers...
- Use of dry powder inhalers in COPDD S Wilson
Respiratory Function Unit, Guy s and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 61:2005-8. 2007....
- Variation in pediatric aerosol delivery: importance of facemaskGerald C Smaldone
Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794, USA
J Aerosol Med 18:354-63. 2005..0 +/- 1.6 to 28.6 +/- 2.5%. Facemask seal is a key factor in drug delivery. Leaks around the facemask reduce drug delivery and for pMDI VHCs can negate effects of detergent coating...
- Practical problems with aerosol therapy in COPDJoseph L Rau
Cardiopulmonary Care Sciences, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Respir Care 51:158-72. 2006..Short of a universal simple inhaler, patient and caregiver education remains the best solution to correct patient errors in use...
- Assessing a system to capture stray aerosol during inhalation of nebulized liposomal cisplatinBart P H Wittgen
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Aerosol Med 19:385-91. 2006..Importantly, because the tent's HEPA filtration system is effective at removing any nebulized liposomal cisplatin, the exhausted air, which is free of platinum, can be returned into the room with no additional ventilation precautions...
- Inhaled insulin: too soon to be forgotten?Paul Zarogoulidis
Pulmonary Department, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Alexandroupolis, Greece
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 24:213-23. 2011..In the present review, we will suggest a number of methods that could be applied in this form of administration to maximize drug absorption and fully exploit the advantages of this route of administration...
- Facemasks and aerosol delivery in vivoSimone Erzinger
Division of Respiratory Medicine, University Children s Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
J Aerosol Med 20:S78-83; discussion S83-4. 2007..8% and 5.2%. Overall face deposition was between 2.6% and 8.4%. The results from this pilot study support the results found in in vitro studies, where a facemask leak greatly reduces drug delivery to the patient...
- Tiotropium HandiHaler in the treatment of COPD: a safety reviewSteven Kesten
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Ridgefield, CT 06877 0368, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 4:397-409. 2009..We sought to update an evaluation of the safety of tiotropium in the HandiHaler formulation as significant clinical trial data have become available over time...
- Pharmacokinetics and safety of tobramycin administered by the PARI eFlow rapid nebulizer in cystic fibrosisDominique Hubert
CRCM adultes, Hopital Cochin, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, France
J Cyst Fibros 8:332-7. 2009..Nebulization times have been identified as an issue in patient compliance with tobramycin solution for inhalation (TSI) therapy in cystic fibrosis (CF)...
- Liposomes for drug delivery to the lungs by nebulizationMarco Zaru
Department of Pharmacy, University of Patras, Rio, Greece
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 67:655-66. 2007..Mucoadhesion and A549 cell toxicity studies were in line with this conclusion, however if mucoadhesion is required, improvement may be needed...
- An in-vitro assessment of a NanoCrystal beclomethasone dipropionate colloidal dispersion via ultrasonic nebulizationK D Ostrander
NanoSystems Division of Elan Pharmaceutical Technologies, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 48:207-15. 1999....
- Serum tobramycin levels following delivery of tobramycin (Tobi) via eFlow advanced nebuliser in children with cystic fibrosisE L Guy
Leeds Regional Paediatric Cystic Fibrosis Centre, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, LS9 7TF, United Kingdom
J Cyst Fibros 9:292-5. 2010..Safety and toxicity data for nebulised tobramycin are mainly derived from use of the Pari LC Plus nebuliser, yet many centres are now using advanced nebulisers, such as the eFlow...
- Counseling about turbuhaler technique: needs assessment and effective strategies for community pharmacistsIman A Basheti
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Respir Care 50:617-23. 2005....
- Nebulization of biodegradable nanoparticles: impact of nebulizer technology and nanoparticle characteristics on aerosol featuresLea Ann Dailey
Department of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmacy, Philipps University, Ketzerbach 63, 35037, Marburg, Germany
J Control Release 86:131-44. 2003....
- In vitro comparison of nebulised budesonide (Pulmicort Respules) and beclomethasone dipropionate (Clenil per Aerosol)A Vaghi
Azienda Ospedaliera G Salvini, Garbagnate, Italy
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 18:151-3. 2005..The more favourable particle shape and size of suspended budesonide may explain the higher fine particle dose with Pulmicort Respules versus Clenil per Aerosol...
- Comparing clinical features of the nebulizer, metered-dose inhaler, and dry powder inhalerDavid E Geller
The Nemours Children s Clinic, Orlando, Florida 32806, USA
Respir Care 50:1313-21; discussion 1321-2. 2005..Clinicians should also have a rudimentary understanding of aerosol principles in order to be able to teach appropriate use of aerosol devices to their patients...
- A novel method for assessing dissolution of aerosol inhaler productsNeal M Davies
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Washington State University, P O Box 646534, Pullman, WA 99164 6534, USA
Int J Pharm 255:175-87. 2003..This novel technique appears to be a useful method of evaluating dissolution of these glucocorticoids and may also be applied to other respiratory products administered via aerosols...
- The expanding role of aerosols in systemic drug delivery, gene therapy, and vaccinationBeth L Laube
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Respir Care 50:1161-76. 2005....
- Nanoparticle formulations in pulmonary drug deliveryMark M Bailey
Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66047, USA
Med Res Rev 29:196-212. 2009..Here, the benefits of nanoparticle formulations and current progress are compared in light of the practical encumbrances of producing formulations, and possible toxicological effects of these materials...
- Nebulized arformoterol in patients with COPD: a 12-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, placebo- and active-controlled trialRudolf A Baumgartner
Sepracor Inc, Marlborough, Massachusetts 01752, USA
Clin Ther 29:261-78. 2007....
- Customizing inhaled therapy to meet the needs of COPD patientsLeonard Fromer
Department of Family Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90077, USA
Postgrad Med 122:83-93. 2010..The review also considers how the ideas underlying the patient-centered medical home model can be incorporated into the choice and use of inhaler device for a given patient with COPD to improve treatment outcomes...
- The ADMIT series - Issues in inhalation therapy. 4) How to choose inhaler devices for the treatment of COPDWalter Vincken
Respiratory Division, UZ Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Prim Care Respir J 19:10-20. 2010..The prescribing clinician's task is to provide comprehensive instructions for correct handling of the device and to review regularly the patient's inhalation technique...
- Choosing inhaler devices for people with asthma: current knowledge and outstanding research needsJohn Haughney
Centre of Academic Primary Care, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2AY, Scotland, UK
Respir Med 104:1237-45. 2010..we achieve better asthma outcomes? Do we have to refine inhaler device choice for each individual, or will we get better outcomes if we select our current best option in light of current knowledge and apply this on a population level?..
- Treatment adherence among low-income children with asthmaM Celano
Emory University School of Medicine, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 23:345-9. 1998..To investigate the adherence behaviors (MDI use, MDI/spacer technique, appointment attendance, smoking in the home) of low-income, urban, primarily African American children with asthma...
- Nebulized anticoagulants limit pulmonary coagulopathy, but not inflammation, in a model of experimental lung injuryJorrit J Hofstra
Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology LEICA, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 23:105-11. 2010..Pulmonary coagulopathy may contribute to an adverse outcome in lung injury. We assessed the effects of local anticoagulant therapy on bronchoalveolar and systemic haemostasis in a rat model of endotoxemia-induced lung injury...
- A gamma scintigraphy study to investigate lung deposition and clearance of inhaled amikacin-loaded liposomes in healthy male volunteersJeffry Weers
Transave, Inc, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey, USA
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 22:131-8. 2009..The purpose of this study was to investigate the inhalation of a liposomal formulation of amikacin in healthy male volunteers in terms of pulmonary deposition, clearance, and safety following nebulization with a commercial jet nebulizer...
- Device selection and outcomes of aerosol therapy: Evidence-based guidelines: American College of Chest Physicians/American College of Asthma, Allergy, and ImmunologyMyrna B Dolovich
Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Chest 127:335-71. 2005..There are advantages and disadvantages associated with each device category. Evidence-based guidelines for the selection of the appropriate aerosol delivery device in specific clinical settings are needed...
- Pulmonary delivery of insulin by liposomal carriersYi You Huang
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, College of Medicine, College of Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Control Release 113:9-14. 2006..Liposome-mediated pulmonary drug delivery promotes an increase in drug retention-time in the lungs, and more importantly, a reduction in extrapulmonary side-effects which invariably results in enhanced therapeutic efficacies...
- Alternative sugars as potential carriers for dry powder inhalationsHartwig Steckel
Department of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, Christian Albrecht University Kiel, Gutenbergstrasse 76, Kiel 24118, Germany
Int J Pharm 270:297-306. 2004..In summary, mannitol showed potential as a drug carrier to be used in DPIs whereas the more hygroscopic sugars only showed poor dispersibility...
- Comparison of two humidification systems for long-term noninvasive mechanical ventilationS Nava
Respiratory Unit, Fondazione S Maugeri, Via Maugeri n 10, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Eur Respir J 32:460-4. 2008..Further larger studies are required in order to confirm these findings...
- Predictors of incorrect inhalation technique in patients with asthma or COPD: a study using a validated videotaped scoring methodGeert N Rootmensen
Department of Pulmonology, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 23:323-8. 2010..The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of patients' characteristics and type of inhaler device on inhalation technique in patient with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Inspiratory flows through dry powder inhaler in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: age and gender rather than severity mattersL Pekka Malmberg
Skin and Allergy Hospital, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 5:257-62. 2010..Most patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) are elderly and have poor lung function. The factors affecting their inspiratory flows through inhalers are unclear...
- Inhaled therapy in elderly COPD patients; time for re-evaluation?Sheba Jarvis
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Imperial College London, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Rd, London W12 0NN, UK
Age Ageing 36:213-8. 2007..We studied a group of elderly patients with COPD with a range of severity, selected from one General Practice register to measure peak inspiratory flow (PIF) and assess patient perceived benefit...
- Testing the reliability of old and new features of a new electronic monitor for metered dose inhalersA J Apter
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 86:421-4. 2001..Electronic monitors are the most accurate means available for measuring adherence, but their use has been limited by reports questioning the reliability and validity of their data...
- Assessment of key influences on asthma inhaler device selectionHazel Madoc-Sutton
Education for Health, Warwick
Nurs Stand 23:35-41. 2009..To identify factors that influenced trained asthma practice nurses' inhaler device selection and the relative importance they placed on these factors in clinical practice...
- Determinants of correct inhalation technique in children attending a hospital-based asthma clinicA W A Kamps
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Pulmonology, Isala Klinieken Weezenlanden Hospital, Zwolle, The Netherlands
Acta Paediatr 91:159-63. 2002..6, 95% CI 0.4-6.4; p = 0.54). The number of newly referred patients demonstrating a correct inhalation technique improved from 57.4% to 97.9% after three comprehensive instruction sessions...
- Pulmonary function response to EDTA, an additive in nebulized bronchodilatorsM J Asmus
Asthma Research Laboratory, Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 107:68-72. 2001..In contrast, BAC induces clinically important bronchospasm, which could decrease the efficacy of a bronchodilator during an emergency...
- Can epinephrine inhalations be substituted for epinephrine injection in children at risk for systemic anaphylaxis?F E Simons
Section of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Pediatrics 106:1040-4. 2000..For out-of-hospital treatment of anaphylaxis, inhalation of epinephrine from a pressurized metered-dose inhaler is sometimes recommended as a noninvasive, user-friendly alternative to an epinephrine injection...
- History of aerosol therapy: liquid nebulization to MDIs to DPIsPaula J Anderson
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock Arkansas 72205, USA
Respir Care 50:1139-50. 2005....
- Epinephrine inhalers in emergency sets of patients with anaphylaxisChristiane Schlegel
Department of Dermatology, Tübingen University Clinic, Tubingen, Germany
J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 7:420-6. 2009..Since most cases of hypotension in anaphylaxis cannot be effectively treated with epinephrine inhalers, the prescriber should be aware of this before including them in an emergency pack...
- Efficacy of nebulized epinephrine versus salbutamol in hospitalized infants with bronchiolitisP Bertrand
Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Catholic University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Pediatr Pulmonol 31:284-8. 2001..03 vs. P = 0.025). No adverse effects were associated with nebulized therapy. We conclude that nebulized epinephrine is a more effective agent than salbutamol in the initial treatment of bronchiolitis and is equally safe...
- The nicotine inhaler: clinical pharmacokinetics and comparison with other nicotine treatmentsN G Schneider
University of California-Los Angeles, School of Medicine, USA
Clin Pharmacokinet 40:661-84. 2001..This is attributed to the slow rise time and low nicotine blood concentrations. The inhaler is a valuable addition to treatment of tobacco dependence and can be used alone or with other treatments...
- Asthma and COPD. Inhalation therapy--clarity or confusion?L Seeto
Department of Thoracic Medicine, Concord Repatriation General Hospital, New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 30:557-61. 2001..The range of available inhaler devices is wide and choosing the right one for your patient can be difficult...
- Optimizing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease management in primary careBarbara P Yawn
Research Department, Olmsted Medical Center, Rochester, MN 55904, USA
South Med J 104:121-7. 2011..This review outlines steps to aid physicians in devising and implementing an optimal management plan for COPD patients...
- Effective delivery of particles with the HandiHaler dry powder inhalation system over a range of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease severityS Chodosh
Veterans Administration Outpatient Clinic, Pulmonary Research, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Aerosol Med 14:309-15. 2001..The minimum peak inspiratory flow rates in the three groups were 28.2, 21.6 and 20.4 L/min. The HandiHaler device effectively delivers particles to the lung over a wide range of airflow limitation in patients with COPD...
- Particle characteristics and lung deposition patterns in a human airway replica of a dry powder formulation of polylactic acid produced using supercritical fluid technologyY S Cheng
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108, USA
J Aerosol Med 16:65-73. 2003..Our results showed that L-PLA particles as manufactured by the supercritical technology could be used in a DPI that does not require the use of carrier particles to facilitate aerosol delivery...
- Aerosol delivery of recombinant human DNase I: in vitro comparison of a vibrating-mesh nebulizer with a jet nebulizerJeremy C Johnson
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Environmental Medicine, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Respir Care 53:1703-8. 2008..Because of their portability, newer-generation vibrating-mesh nebulizers offer greater convenience for the patient, but their efficiency in delivering rhDNase has not been determined...
- Feasibility and safety of targeted cisplatin delivery to a select lung lobe in dogs via the AeroProbe intracorporeal nebulization catheterKim Selting
Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 21:255-68. 2008..Targeted inhaled chemotherapy could be a promising method of treatment for primary and secondary lung tumors...
- Uptake of all-trans retinoic acid-containing aerosol by inhalation to lungs in a guinea pig model system--a pilot studyMichael W Schäffer
Department of Biochemistry and Cancer Biology, Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee 37208, USA
Exp Lung Res 36:593-601. 2010..8 ± 7.7 ng·g(-1) wet weight, respectively). The application of this aerosolized ATRA also induced a dose-dependent protein expression of the cellular retinol-binding protein 1 (CRBP-1) in lung, without apparent harmful side effects...
- Physical stability and in-vitro gene expression efficiency of nebulised lipid-peptide-DNA complexesJ C Birchall
Welsh School of Pharmacy, Redwood Building, Cardiff University, King Edward VII Avenue, Cardiff, UK
Int J Pharm 197:221-31. 2000..The incorporation of the peptide precludes the use of potentially toxic excesses of lipid and charge and may act as a platform for the covalent attachment of peptide signals mediating sub-cellular targetting...
- Aztreonam lysine: a novel inhalational antibiotic for cystic fibrosisMichael D Parkins
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary and Alberta Health Services, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Expert Rev Respir Med 4:435-44. 2010..aeruginosa sputum burdens. These outcomes were durable over 18 months of cycled use. AZLI has been demonstrated to be safe and effective, and expands available chronic maintenance therapies in CF...
- Facial and ocular deposition of nebulized budesonide: effects of face mask designKeith W Harris
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8172, USA
Chest 133:482-8. 2008..In vivo case reports and in vitro studies have indicated that aerosol therapy using face masks can result in drug deposition on the face and in the eyes, and that face mask design may affect drug delivery...
- Facemask design, facial deposition, and delivered dose of nebulized aerosolsGerald C Smaldone
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York, USA
J Aerosol Med 20:S66-75; discussion S75-7. 2007..43 +/- 0.16%). For aerosol therapy with nebulizers in pediatric patients, facemask design is a key factor in maximizing aerosol delivery to the patient while minimizing deposition on the face and in the eyes...
- Formulations generated from ethanol-based proliposomes for delivery via medical nebulizersAbdelbary M A Elhissi
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, London, UK
J Pharm Pharmacol 58:887-94. 2006..The high phospholipid output produced by the nebulizers employed suggests that both air-jet and vibrating-mesh nebulization may provide the potential of delivering liposome-entrapped or solubilized hydrophobic drugs to the airways...
- [MR imaging of lung ventilation with aerosolized gadolinium-chelates]P Haage
Klinik für Radiologische Diagnostik, Universitätsklinikum der RWTH Aachen
Rofo 175:187-93. 2003..To evaluate the feasibility of magnetic resonance assessment of human lung ventilation with aerosolized Gd-chelates in healthy volunteers...
- Suitability of the upper airway models obtained from MRI studies in simulating drug lung deposition from inhalersT Ehtezazi
School of Pharmacy and Chemistry, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, L3 3AF, UK
Pharm Res 22:166-70. 2005..In this study, the suitability of the upper airway models, obtained by applying a magnetic resonance imaging method, in simulating in vivo aerosol deposition data is determined...
- Transmission of aerosolized seasonal H1N1 influenza A to ferretsHeather Macinnes
Program in Infectious Disease, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e24448. 2011..Thus after inhalation, this seasonal H1N1 virus may replicate less efficiently than H3N2 virus after mucosal deposition and exhibit less contagion after aerosol exposure...
- Iloprost-containing liposomes for aerosol application in pulmonary arterial hypertension: formulation aspects and stabilityElke Kleemann
Department of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmacy, Philipps University, D 35037 Marburg, Germany
Pharm Res 24:277-87. 2007..The feasibility of liposomes to provide a sustained release formulation to reduce inhalation frequency is evaluated from a technological point of view...
- Physical stability and aerosol properties of liposomes delivered using an air-jet nebulizer and a novel micropump device with large mesh aperturesA M A Elhissi
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, University of London, 29 39 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AX, UK
Int J Pharm 334:62-70. 2007..On the other hand, the air-jet nebulizer produced higher total mass and drug outputs and smaller aerosol droplets...
- Aerosol delivery devices in the treatment of asthmaDean R Hess
Department of Respiratory Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Respir Care 53:699-723; discussion 723-5. 2008..However, many patients use these devices incorrectly, so proper patient education in their use is critical...
- Nebulization of a suspension of budesonide and a solution of terbutaline into a neonatal ventilator circuitM Turpeinen
Department of Allergic Diseases, Helsinki University Hospital, Meilahdentie 2, FIN 00250 Helsinki, Finland
Respir Care 46:43-8. 2001..Budesonide suspension (1 mg) was used in a concentration of 0.5 mg/mL and terbutaline solution (5 mg) in a concentration of 2.5 mg/mL...
- Aerosolized PGE1: a selective pulmonary vasodilator in neonatal hypoxemic respiratory failure results of a Phase I/II open label clinical trialBeena G Sood
Department of Pediatrics, Wayne State University, Children s Hospital of Michigan, 3901 Beaubien Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48201 USA
Pediatr Res 56:579-85. 2004..The results of our study indicate that IPGE(1) may be a safe, selective pulmonary vasodilator in neonatal hypoxemic respiratory failure...
- Influence of nebulizer type, position, and bias flow on aerosol drug delivery in simulated pediatric and adult lung models during mechanical ventilationArzu Ari
Division of Respiratory Therapy, School of Health Professions, Georgia State University, PO Box 4019, Atlanta GA 30302 4019, USA
Respir Care 55:845-51. 2010..The impact of nebulizer type, position on the ventilator circuit, and bias flow on aerosol drug delivery has not been established for different age populations...
- A survey of albuterol administration practices in intubated patients in the neonatal intensive care unitJulie Ballard
Respiratory Care Department, Primary Children s Medical Center, 100 North Medical Drive, Salt Lake City UT 84113 1100, USA
Respir Care 47:31-8. 2002....
- Nebuliser hood compared to mask in wheezy infants: aerosol therapy without tears!I Amirav
Pediatric Department, Sieff Hospital, Safed, Israel
Arch Dis Child 88:719-23. 2003..Small volume nebulisers (SVNs) with masks commonly provide aerosol therapy for infants with lung diseases. However, infants and toddlers are often disturbed by and thus reject masks...
- Evaluation of pulsed and breath-synchronized nebulization of budesonide as a means of reducing nebulizer wastage of drugK Nikander
AstraZeneca R and D Lund, Lund, Sweden, and Department of Clinical Physiology, Malmo General Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Pediatr Pulmonol 29:120-6. 2000..05). The results support the use of breath-synchronized but not pulsed nebulization with conventional nebulizers. The results of pulsed nebulization in children warrants further clinical studies...
- Comparison of the aerosol velocity and spray duration of Respimat Soft Mist inhaler and pressurized metered dose inhalersDieter Hochrainer
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharma GmbH and Co KG, Ingelheim, Germany
J Aerosol Med 18:273-82. 2005..5 sec; pMDIs, 0.15-0.36 sec). These characteristics should result in improved lung and reduced oropharyngeal deposition, and are likely to simplify coordination of inhaler actuation and inhalation compared with pMDIs...
- Dry powder inhalers: which factors determine the frequency of handling errors?Siegfried Wieshammer
Pneumologisch Thoraxchirurgisches Zentrum, Klinikum Offenburg, Offenburg, Germany
Respiration 75:18-25. 2008..Dry powder inhalers are often used ineffectively, resulting in a poor level of disease control...
- Improving adherence with inhaler therapy in COPDSuzanne C Lareau
College of Nursing, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 5:401-6. 2010..This article reports some of the challenges of medication nonadherence faced by the clinician in the management of COPD, and suggests ways to evaluate and improve adherence effectively in primary care...
- Importance of inhaler devices in the management of airway diseaseJ C Virchow
Department of Pneumology, University Medical Clinic, University of Rostock, Rostock, Germany
Respir Med 102:10-9. 2008..New and advanced devices are considered being helpful to minimise the most important problems patients have with current DPIs...
- Formoterol for maintenance and as-needed treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMalcolm Campbell
University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
Respir Med 99:1511-20. 2005..Both formoterol regimens were well tolerated with no differences in adverse events or electrocardiogram profiles...
- The need to improve inhalation technique in Europe: a report from the Aerosol Drug Management Improvement TeamG K Crompton
Respiratory Unit, Western General Hospital, Crewe Road, Edinburgh, EH4 2XU, Scotland, UK
Respir Med 100:1479-94. 2006..There is also a need for standardisation of prescribing practices throughout Europe. Regular checking of inhalation technique by prescribers is crucial as correct inhalation is one of the keystones of successful asthma management...
- Misuse of corticosteroid metered-dose inhaler is associated with decreased asthma stabilityV Giraud
Université de Paris René Descartes, Service de Pneumologie, Hĵpital A Paré, Boulogne, France
Eur Respir J 19:246-51. 2002..The use of devices which alleviate coordination problems should be reinforced in pressurized metered-dose inhaler misusers...
- Can all patients with COPD use the correct inhalation flow with all inhalers and does training help?Raid A M Al-Showair
School of Pharmacy, Institute of Pharmaceutical Innovation, University of Bradford, Bradford BD7 1DP, UK
Respir Med 101:2395-401. 2007..Some COPD patients have problems achieving required PIFs through DPIs but training is useful to help some exceed the minimum required rate despite only small improvements. The patients found it easier to slow their PIF through the MDI...
- Inspiratory flow rates at different levels of resistance in elderly COPD patientsW Janssens
Respiratory Division, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur Respir J 31:78-83. 2008....
- Comparison of patient preference and ease of teaching inhaler technique for Pulmicort Turbuhaler versus pressurized metered-dose inhalersMichael J Welch
Allergy and Asthma Medical Group and Research Center, San Diego, California 92123, USA
J Aerosol Med 17:129-39. 2004..05). Overall, patients preferred Pulmicort Turbuhaler over pMDIs and required less time to be taught how to correctly use Turbuhaler trade mark...
- Delivery of iloprost inhalation solution with the HaloLite, Prodose, and I-neb Adaptive Aerosol Delivery systems: an in vitro studyRobert E Van Dyke
CoTherix, 2000 Sierra Point Parkway, Suite 600, South San Francisco, CA 94005, USA
Respir Care 52:184-90. 2007..The HaloLite device was the first-generation AAD system used in the clinical delivery of inhaled iloprost, and I-neb is the third-generation system...
- Aerosol bronchodilator delivery methods. Relative impact on pulmonary function and cost of respiratory careW Summer
Department of Medicine, Lousisiana State University Medical School, New Orleans 70112
Arch Intern Med 149:618-23. 1989..In hospitalized bronchodilator-responsive patients with acute exacerbations of obstructive airway disease, the MDI/spacer combination is the preferred approach when the status of the patient allows its use...
Research Grants113 found, 100 shown here
- Asthma Treatment with a Novel Drug Aerosol GeneratorWilliam Shen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Successful completion of activities in Phase I would present a significant step towards developing an improved inhalation drug delivery platform for asthma treatment. ..
- Pediatric Asthma Alert Intervention in Minority ChildrenARLENE MANNS BUTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- EBP Leadership Summit: Improving health outcomes for high risk children and teensBernadette Melnyk; Fiscal Year: 2007..S. to improve health outcomes for our nation's children and adolescents. ..
- SUPRAER, High Dose Rate Aerosol Drug DeliveryDONOVAN YEATES; Fiscal Year: 2007..SUPRAER(tm) will decrease the time required for inhalation therapy as well as broaden the range of therapeutic agents that can be successfully administered via the respiratory tract. ..
- MEMS-Based High-Frequency Ultrasonic Nozzles for Medical ApplicationsCHEN TSAI; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such new devices may ultimately be developed into efficient pocket-sized nebulizers for drug delivery by inhalation and should, therefore, have important implications for public health. ..
- Novel Strategies Targeting Acute Exacerbation of COPDRichard Albert; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information will, at the same time, also provide information regarding the pathobiology of COPD exacerbations. ..
- Aerosol Therapy for Lung CancerBrian Hansen; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Phase II goal is to demonstrate the potential efficiency of the new drug formulations in vitro and in vivo and to develop aerosol equipment that is suitable for pre-clinical testing, clinical trials, and patient care. ..
- AuContrAer:Ventilator Compatible Aerosol Delivery DeviceRichard Parker; Fiscal Year: 2002..We tentatively call the device AuContrAer. ..
- Targeting JAK-3 with WHI-P97 for Treatment of AsthmaPeter Samuel; Fiscal Year: 2003..The successful completion of the proposed research will provide the foundation for further translational research that may lead to new and effective methods for treatment of allergic asthma. ..
- A+ Asthma Rural PartnershipArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings of this study will be important to clinicians, researchers, and health policy makers. ..
- Pediatric Asthma Alert Intervention in Minority ChildrenArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Improving Asthma Communication in Minority FamiliesArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- NEBULIZER INTERVENTION IN MINORITY CHILDREN WITH ASTHMAArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2004..Study findings will improve clinical care to this vulnerable population of children and will be if significant use to health care providers, researchers, insurers and policy makers. ..
- HOME NURSE INTERVENTION FOR IUDE INFANTS--3 YR FOLLOW UPArlene Butz; Fiscal Year: 2002..Data will be of significant use to researchers, health care providers, insurers and policy makers. ..
- Inhalation Dosimetry/Exposure Index of Fiber AerosolYung Sung Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2006..Sampling devices based on this size-selection definition can be developed in the future for improved assessment of worker exposure. ..
- Development of a Highly Efficient Personal Sampler to collect Viable BioaerosolsYung Sung Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2010..The new device will not only be beneficial in occupational settings, but may also have future potential in high risk areas such as those following any possible biological attack. ..
- Development of a Highly Efficient Personal Sampler to collect Viable BioaerosolsYung Sung Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2009..The new device will not only be beneficial in occupational settings, but may also have future potential in high risk areas such as those following any possible biological attack. ..
- Development of a Personal Sampler for NanoparticlesYung Sung Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2010..It can be used to assess personal exposure to nanoparticles in terms of mass concentration and physicochemical characteristics. ..
- Imaging of Pulmonary Mucociliary ClearanceTimothy Corcoran; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed research and training will provide the core skills necessary to progress towards research independence in a field at a unique interface between engineering and medicine. (End of Abstract) ..
- NICOTINE DEPENDENCE--TAILORING AND PREFERENCE RESEARCHNina Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2001..Several new scales will be tested: one which assesses withdrawal via anchored responding and a set of scales for testing preference with an ultimate aim of developing a tool for easily matching smokers to therapy. ..
- MECHANISMS OF RESPONSE TO PULMONARY VACCINATIONAnthony Hickey; Fiscal Year: 2005..The significance of this work lies in the novelty of pulmonary vaccination for the treatment of tuberculosis and the knowledge of the immune response gained from targeted antigen delivery to the lungs. ..
- Response to Beta2-Agonists in Acute Severe AsthmaNicola Hanania; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Aerosolized PGE1 in Neonatal Pulmonary HypertensionBEENA SOOD; Fiscal Year: 2005..If effective, a proposal for using aerosolized PGE1 in neonatal PPHN as a multicenter study will be submitted to the NICHD Neonatal Network. ..
- COCAINE SMOKING EFFECTS ON LUNG IMMUNITY & HOST DEFENSEDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2002..findings which relate to susceptibility to opportunistic infections in HIV-infected cocaine smokers. ..
- Children and Asthma: Communication and OutcomesBetsy Sleath; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms Regulation Functions of Airway Smooth MuscleReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, understanding the transcriptional mechanisms regulating the expression of inflammatory genes in ASM will likely lead to new therapeutic approaches for the treatment of asthma. ..
- Ozone ALTERS Airway Smooth Muscle FUNCTION IN ASTHMAReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies will identify the mechanisms by which ozone enhances allergen-induced AHR and provide insight into new therapeutic targets to prevent asthma exacerbations and decrease asthma morbidity and mortality. ..
- RGS: A Molecular Switch Regulating Irreversible ASM Growth/Contraction in AsthmaReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our studies will identify the key mechanisms by which RGS proteins regulate ASM growth and contractility while providing insight into therapeutic targets to abrogate ASM hyperplasia and hyperresponsiveness in asthma. (End of Abstract) ..
- Natural History of Asthma from Birth to Early Adult LifeFernando D Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2010..Elucidating these relations will foster the development of new strategies for the prevention and treatment of asthma and, potentially, of airflow limitation in adult life. ..
- Natural History of Asthma from Birth to Early Adult LifeFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2009..Elucidating these relations will foster the development of new strategies for the prevention and treatment of asthma and, potentially, of airflow limitation in adult life. ..
- Interferons Modulate Airway Smooth Muscle GrowthReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Mechanisms of VEGF modulation of smooth muscle functionReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- CHROMOSOME 5Q GENE VARIANTS AND ASTHMA-RELATED TRAITSFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2004..This will allow to better understand the genetic influence that determine asthma risk. ..
- LONGITUDINAL STUDY OF ASTHMA FROM BIRTH TO ADOLESCENCEFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2000..In the evaluation at age 16 years, symptoms, lung function, including methacholine responsiveness, and atopy and lymphocyte phenotype will be assessed. Various methods for longitudinal data analysis will be employed. ..
- MECHANISMS REGULATING AIRWAY MUSCLE GROWTHReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will define the mechanism by which agonists induce ASM cell growth such that new issues in the pathogenesis of asthma will be addressed and therapeutic measures to prevent these alterations can be developed. ..
- INNATE IMMUNITY IN HEART, LUNG, AND BLOOD DISEASEFernando Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ASTHMA AND INTERVENTIONS IN THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENTRobert Strunk; Fiscal Year: 2002..The intent to treat model will be used, as primary outcome can be obtained after consent even if not contact cannot be made at 2 week and 6 month phone calls. ..
- Mechanisms of VEGF modulation of smooth muscle functionReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- THE MODULATION OF INFLAMMATORY RESPONSES IN THE LUNGStephen Peters; Fiscal Year: 1993..In addition, they will provide crucial information needed in order to develop novel strategies for the treatment of asthma using antiinflammatory agents...
- MECHANISMS REGULATING AIRWAY MUSCLE GROWTHReynold Panettieri; Fiscal Year: 1999..By understanding the mechanisms of ASM cell growth, new issues in the pathogenesis of asthma will be addressed and therapeutic measures to prevent these alterations can be developed. ..