Genomes and Genes
Summary: Electrodes with an extremely small tip, used in a voltage clamp or other apparatus to stimulate or record bioelectric potentials of single cells intracellularly or extracellularly. (Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications280 found, 100 shown here
- Comparison of tumor and normal tissue oxygen tension measurements using OxyLite or microelectrodes in rodentsR D Braun
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 280:H2533-44. 2001In this study we compare oxygen tension (PO2) histograms measured with O2 microelectrodes and a new optical PO2 measurement device, the OxyLite, in normal tissues (mouse spleen and thymus) and in tumors (R3230Ac in rats) (n = 5-6)...
- Rat vs. rabbit ventricle: Ca flux and intracellular Na assessed by ion-selective microelectrodesM J Shattock
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside 92521 0121
Am J Physiol 256:C813-22. 1989..movements in rabbit and rat ventricular muscle were compared using extracellular double-barreled Ca-selective microelectrodes. In rabbit ventricle, steady-state twitches were associated with transient extracellular Ca (Cao) depletions, ..
- Direct activation of sparse, distributed populations of cortical neurons by electrical microstimulationMark H Histed
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, 220 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neuron 63:508-22. 2009..Our results indicate that the pattern of activated neurons likely arises from the direct activation of axons in a volume tens of microns in diameter...
- In-cell recordings by extracellular microelectrodesAviad Hai
Department of Neurobiology, Life Science Institute, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Nat Methods 7:200-2. 2010..Here we report an approach to induce Aplysia californica neurons to actively engulf protruding microelectrodes, providing 'in-cell recordings' of subthreshold synaptic and action potentials with signal-to-noise ratio ..
- Development of microelectrode arrays for artificial retinal implants using liquid crystal polymersSeung Woo Lee
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Gwanak Gu, Korea
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:5859-66. 2009..To develop a liquid crystal polymer (LCP)-based, long-term implantable, retinal stimulation microelectrode array using a novel fabrication method...
- Subthalamic nucleus functional organization revealed by parkinsonian neuronal oscillations and synchronyA Moran
Gonda Multidisciplinary Brain Research Center, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Brain 131:3395-409. 2008..These findings indicate that the two neuronal populations are the outcome of very different oscillatory drives deriving from different local functional neuronal organizations...
- Active sensing of target location encoded by cortical microstimulationSubramaniam Venkatraman
Qualcomm Corporate R and D, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 19:317-24. 2011..This ability to deliver sensory percepts using cortical microstimulation in an active sensing system might have significant implications for the development of sensorimotor neuroprostheses...
- Model-based analysis of cortical recording with silicon microelectrodesMichael A Moffitt
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Lerner Research Institute, ND 20, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 116:2240-50. 2005The purpose of this study was to use computational modeling to better understand factors that impact neural recordings with silicon microelectrodes used in brain-machine interfaces.
- A bio-friendly and economical technique for chronic implantation of multiple microelectrode arraysPratik Y Chhatbar
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, 450 Clarkson Av, Box 31, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
J Neurosci Methods 188:187-94. 2010..The ultimate result is a longer survival time with superior neural recordings that can potentially last longer than with traditional implantation techniques...
- Massively parallel recording of unit and local field potentials with silicon-based electrodesJozsef Csicsvari
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
J Neurophysiol 90:1314-23. 2003..Silicon technology is a promising approach for high-density, high-resolution sampling of neuronal activity in both basic research and prosthetic devices...
- Microseizures and the spatiotemporal scales of human partial epilepsyMatt Stead
Department of Neurology, Mayo Systems Electrophysiology Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55901, USA
Brain 133:2789-97. 2010..epilepsy, wide-bandwidth electrophysiological recordings were obtained using clinical macro- and research microelectrodes in patients with epilepsy and control subjects with intractable facial pain...
- Temporally precise cortical firing patterns are associated with distinct action segmentsTomer Shmiel
Gonda Brain Research Center, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
J Neurophysiol 96:2645-52. 2006..Single-unit activity was recorded from eight microelectrodes inserted into the motor and premotor cortices of two monkeys while they were performing continuous ..
- Human anterior cingulate cortex neurons encode cognitive and emotional demandsKaren D Davis
Toronto Western Research Institute, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2S8, Canada
J Neurosci 25:8402-6. 2005....
- In situ analysis of nitrifying biofilms as determined by in situ hybridization and the use of microelectrodesS Okabe
Department of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Hokkaido University, Sapporo 060 0813, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 65:3182-91. 1999....
- Polytrodes: high-density silicon electrode arrays for large-scale multiunit recordingTimothy J Blanche
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of British Columbia, 2550 Willow St, Vancouver, BC V5Z 3N9, Canada
J Neurophysiol 93:2987-3000. 2005..It was possible to maintain stable recordings from active neurons adjacent to the polytrode without change in their absolute positions, neurophysiological or receptive field properties...
- Low-density neuronal networks cultured using patterned poly-l-lysine on microelectrode arraysSang Beom Jun
Nano Bioelectronics and Systems Research Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Neurosci Methods 160:317-26. 2007..Application of DNQX, an AMPA antagonist, blocked all spontaneous activity, suggesting that the activity is excitatory and mediated through glutamate receptors...
- Neuronal avalanches are diverse and precise activity patterns that are stable for many hours in cortical slice culturesJohn M Beggs
Unit of Neural Network Physiology, Laboratory of Systems Neuroscience, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosci 24:5216-29. 2004....
- Reliability of signals from a chronically implanted, silicon-based electrode array in non-human primate primary motor cortexSelim Suner
Department of Emergency Medicine and Surgery, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 13:524-41. 2005..Here, we demonstrate the reliability of a regular array of 100 microelectrodes to obtain neural recordings from primary motor cortex (MI) of monkeys for at least three months and up to 1...
- Electrical multisite stimulation of the isolated chicken retinaA Stett
NMI Natural and Medical Sciences Institute, Markwiesenstrasse 55, D 72770, Reutlingen, Germany
Vision Res 40:1785-95. 2000..The response was altered or disappeared when synaptic transmission was blocked. Our results indicate that shape perception and object location can be partially achieved with subretinal electrical multisite stimulation...
- Plasticity of recurring spatiotemporal activity patterns in cortical networksRadhika Madhavan
Laboratory for Neuroengineering, Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Phys Biol 4:181-93. 2007....
- Role of electrode design on the volume of tissue activated during deep brain stimulationChristopher R Butson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Neural Eng 3:1-8. 2006..Therefore, it may be possible to improve therapeutic benefit and minimize side effects from DBS with the design of target-specific electrodes...
- Local generation of fast ripples in epileptic brainAnatol Bragin
Department of Neurology, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 1769, USA
J Neurosci 22:2012-21. 2002..Our data illustrate that hypothesized clusters of highly interconnected neurons are capable of overcoming interneuron feedback inhibition, resulting in generation of epileptiform bursts, eventually leading to seizure activity...
- Ultrafast detection and quantification of brain signaling molecules with carbon fiber microelectrodesRinchen D Lama
Department of Chemistry, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA
Anal Chem 84:8096-101. 2012Carbon fiber microelectrodes provide the ideal platform for performing ultrafast, selective measurements of electroactive brain molecules...
- Improved measurements of Na+ fluxes in plants using calixarene-based microelectrodesMaheswari Jayakannan
School of Earth and Environment, The University of Western Australia, M087, Crawley, WA 6009, Perth, Australia
J Plant Physiol 168:1045-51. 2011Ion-selective microelectrodes are a powerful tool in studying adaptive responses of plant cells and tissues to various abiotic stresses...
- Carbon microelectrodes with a renewable surfacePavel Takmakov
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Anal Chem 82:2020-8. 2010..We also demonstrate that application of the extended waveform could restore the sensitivity of carbon microelectrodes diminished by irreversible adsorption (electrode fouling) of byproducts resulting from the electrooxidation ..
- Integrated wireless neural interface based on the Utah electrode arrayS Kim
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Utah, 50 South Central Campus Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Biomed Microdevices 11:453-66. 2009..The materials and processes used to generate the integrated neural interface device were found to yield a robust and reliable integrated package...
- Brain penetration effects of microelectrodes and DBS leads in STN or GPiJ M Mann
Department of Neurology, University of Florida College of Medicine Shands Hospital, Movement Disorders Center, McKnight Brain Institute, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:794-7. 2009..Secondarily, to evaluate whether the longevity of the MER and lead placement effects were influenced by target location (subthalamic nucleus (STN) or globus pallidus interna (GPi))...
- Phasic reward responses in the monkey striatum as detected by voltammetry with diamond microelectrodesKenji Yoshimi
Department of Neurophysiology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Hongo 2 1 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Neurosci Res 71:49-62. 2011..In this study, constant-potential amperometry was applied to novel diamond microelectrodes for high-speed detection of dopamine...
- Optimisation of a microfluidic analysis chamber for the placement of microelectrodesMichelle Rogers
Department of Bioengineering, Imperial College, London, UK SW7 2AZ
Phys Chem Chem Phys 13:5298-303. 2011..The coalescence chamber creates a constant aqueous environment ideal for the placement of microelectrodes avoiding the contamination of the microelectrode surface by oil...
- Parylene flexible neural probes integrated with microfluidic channelsShoji Takeuchi
Center for International Research on MicroMechatronics, Institute of Industrial Science, Tokyo, Japan
Lab Chip 5:519-23. 2005..We were able to insert the probe into a rat's brain and measure the neural signals with the electrode...
- Spatiotemporal profiles of field potentials in mouse superior colliculus analyzed by multichannel recordingPenphimon Phongphanphanee
Department of Developmental Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
J Neurosci 28:9309-18. 2008..The present study revealed an extensive excitatory network in the dSC that may contribute to the generation of activity by a large population of neurons that discharge before a saccade...
- High-resolution three-dimensional extracellular recording of neuronal activity with microfabricated electrode arraysJiangang Du
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA
J Neurophysiol 101:1671-8. 2009..The large-scale integration of such dual-side and multilayer arrays is expected to provide massively parallel recording capabilities in the brain...
- Community structure, abundance, and in situ activity of nitrifying bacteria in river sediments as determined by the combined use of molecular techniques and microelectrodesYoshiyuki Nakamura
Department of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Hokkaido University, North 13, West 8, Sapporo 060 8628, Japan
Environ Sci Technol 40:1532-9. 2006..use of 16S rRNA gene-cloning analysis, real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction (RTQ-PCR) assays, and microelectrodes. The goal of this research was to evaluate the contribution of nitrifying activity in the sediment to the ..
- The potential of microelectrode arrays and microelectronics for biomedical research and diagnosticsIan L Jones
Department Biosystems Science and Engineering, Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule Zurich, Basel, Switzerland
Anal Bioanal Chem 399:2313-29. 2011....
- Microelectrode-guided implantation of deep brain stimulators into the globus pallidus internus for dystonia: techniques, electrode locations, and outcomesPhilip A Starr
Department of Neurosurgery, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
J Neurosurg 104:488-501. 2006....
- Stepwise pattern modification of neuronal network in photo-thermally-etched agarose architecture on multi-electrode array chip for individual-cell-based electrophysiological measurementIkurou Suzuki
Department of Life Sciences, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, 3 8 1 Komaba, Meguro, Tokyo 153 8902, Japan
Lab Chip 5:241-7. 2005..We can thus better understand the meaning of neuronal network patterns and connection directions...
- Predicting visual sensitivity in retinal prosthesis patientsAlan Horsager
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:1483-91. 2009....
- Microelectrodes for the measurement of catecholamines in biological systemsP S Cahill
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 3290, USA
Anal Chem 68:3180-6. 1996..For the study of neurotransmitter release in vivo, larger cylindrical microelectrodes are advantageous because the secreted molecules come from multiple terminals near the electrode, and the ..
- Substance identification by quantitative characterization of oscillatory activity in murine spinal cord networks on microelectrode arraysAlexandra Gramowski
Institute of Cell Biology and Biosystems Technology, University of Rostock, Albert Einstein Strasse 3, 18059 Rostock, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 19:2815-25. 2004..It is anticipated that this kind of approach will help to quantify pharmacological responses of networks used as biosensors...
- Cortical microstimulation in auditory cortex of rat elicits best-frequency dependent behaviorsKevin J Otto
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2125, USA
J Neural Eng 2:42-51. 2005..however, the perceptual effects of auditory cortical microstimulation delivered through penetrating microelectrodes have not been clearly elucidated...
- Factors affecting perceptual thresholds in epiretinal prosthesesChloé de Balthasar
Department of Ophthalmology and Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:2303-14. 2008..S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved clinical trial...
- Current-source density estimation based on inversion of electrostatic forward solution: effects of finite extent of neuronal activity and conductivity discontinuitiesKlas H Pettersen
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As
J Neurosci Methods 154:116-33. 2006..To illustrate the application to real data, iCSD estimates of stimulus-evoked responses measured with laminar electrodes in the rat somatosensory (barrel) cortex are compared to estimates from the standard CSD method...
- Parallel input channels to mouse primary visual cortexEnquan Gao
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 30:5912-26. 2010..These correlations suggest that neurons in mouse V1 receive inputs from a weighted combination of parallel afferent pathways with distinct spatiotemporal sensitivities...
- Gelatine-embedded electrodes--a novel biocompatible vehicle allowing implantation of highly flexible microelectrodesGustav Lind
Department of Experimental Medical Sciences, Neuronano Research Center, Lund University, BMC F10, Lund, Sweden
J Neural Eng 7:046005. 2010..Successful electrophysiological recordings were made from very thin electrodes implanted in this fashion...
- Single-unit neural recording with active microelectrode arraysQ Bai
Engineering Research Laboratory, Agilent Technologies, Inc, Palo Alto, CA 94304-1126, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 48:911-20. 2001..The multiplexed system adds less than 8-muV rms of noise to the recorded signals, suppressing the 5-V clock transitions to less than 2 ppm...
- Self-referencing ceramic-based multisite microelectrodes for the detection and elimination of interferences from the measurement of L-glutamate and other analytesJ J Burmeister
Department of Anatomy, Center for Sensor Technology, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40536-0098, USA
Anal Chem 73:1037-42. 2001A self-referencing technique utilizing two microelectrodes on a ceramic-based multisite array is employed for confirmation and elimination of interferences detected by enzyme-based microelectrodes...
- Responses of rat subicular neurons to convergent stimulation of lateral entorhinal cortex and CA1 in vivoJ Gigg
Department of Psychology, University of Dublin, Trinity College, 2, Dublin, Ireland
Brain Res 884:35-50. 2000..These data support the existence of a reciprocal excitatory connection between lateral entorhinal cortex and dorsal subiculum and suggest further that this connection may involve only bursting subicular neurons...
- Intracellular features predicted by extracellular recordings in the hippocampus in vivoD A Henze
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
J Neurophysiol 84:390-400. 2000..This theoretical maximum is in contrast to the approximately six units that are usually detected per tetrode. From this, we conclude that a large percentage of hippocampal CA1 pyramidal cells are silent in any given behavioral condition...
- Intraoperative micro- and macrostimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's diseasePierre Pollak
Department of Clinical and Biological Neurosciences, Service de Neurologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Grenoble, Grenoble, France
Mov Disord 17:S155-61. 2002..Using multiple microelectrodes, preferably in a concentric parallel array allows a precise mapping of the STN region...
- Long-term, multisite, parallel, in-cell recording and stimulation by an array of extracellular microelectrodesAviad Hai
The Life Sciences Institute, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
J Neurophysiol 104:559-68. 2010..development of a novel neuroelectronic interface consisting of an array of noninvasive gold-mushroom-shaped microelectrodes (gMmicroEs) that practically provide intracellular recordings and stimulation of many individual neurons, ..
- Somatosensory discrimination based on cortical microstimulationR Romo
Instituto de Fisiologia Celular, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico DF
Nature 392:387-90. 1998..b>Microelectrodes were inserted into area 3b of S1 and the second stimulus was substituted with a train of injected current ..
- Locations of movement-related cells in the human subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's diseasePhilip V Theodosopoulos
Department of Neurosurgery, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Mov Disord 18:791-8. 2003..Our findings are consistent with the small number of published studies on STN somatopy in the human and the nonhuman primate...
- Thresholds for activation of rabbit retinal ganglion cells with an ultrafine, extracellular microelectrodeRalph J Jensen
Center for Innovative Visual Rehabilitation, VA Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:3533-43. 2003..To determine electrical thresholds required for extracellular activation of retinal ganglion cells as part of a project to develop an epiretinal prosthesis...
- Electrical stimulation of mammalian retinal ganglion cells with multielectrode arraysChris Sekirnjak
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, San Diego, California, USA
J Neurophysiol 95:3311-27. 2006..We review previous epiretinal stimulation studies and discuss our results in the context of 32 other publications, comparing threshold parameters and safety limits...
- Cortical innervation of the facial nucleus in the non-human primate: a new interpretation of the effects of stroke and related subtotal brain trauma on the muscles of facial expressionR J Morecraft
Division of Basic Biomedical Sciences, The University of South Dakota School of Medicine, Vermillion, South Dakota, USA
Brain 124:176-208. 2001....
- An in vitro model of a retinal prosthesisAshish K Ahuja
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 2654, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 55:1744-53. 2008..66 +/- 1.30 nC/cm2, respectively, while the required charge was 12.5 +/- 6.2 and 19 +/- 3.3 nC...
- Networks of neurons coupled to microelectrode arrays: a neuronal sensory system for pharmacological applicationsM Chiappalone
Department of Biophysical and Electronic Engineering DIBE, Neuroengineering and Bio nano Technologies Group, University of Genova, Genova, Italy
Biosens Bioelectron 18:627-34. 2003....
- An array of microactuated microelectrodes for monitoring single-neuronal activity in rodentsJit Muthuswamy
Harrington Department of Bioengineering, ECG 334, P O Box 879709, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 9709, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 52:1470-7. 2005Arrays of microelectrodes used for monitoring single- and multi-neuronal action potentials often fail to record from the same population of neurons over a period of time for several technical and biological reasons...
- Microelectrodes with gold nanoparticles and self-assembled monolayers for in vivo recording of striatal dopamineTien Chun Tsai
Department of Biomedical Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, No 1, Ta Hsueh Road, Tainan 701, Taiwan
Analyst 137:2813-20. 2012Electrochemical determination of in vivo dopamine (DA) using implantable microelectrodes is essential for monitoring the DA depletion of an animal model of Parkinson's disease (PD), but faces substantial interference from ascorbic acid (..
- An in vitro characterisation comparing carbon paste and Pt microelectrodes for real-time detection of brain tissue oxygenFiachra B Bolger
Department of Chemistry, National University of Ireland Maynooth, Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
Analyst 136:4028-35. 2011In vitro characterisation results for O(2) reduction at Pt-based microelectrodes are presented and compared with those for carbon-paste electrodes (CPEs). Cyclic voltammetry indicates a potential of -650 mV vs...
- Intersection of microwire electrodes with proximal CA1 stratum-pyramidale neurons at insertion for multiunit recordings predicted by a 3-D computer modelEnric Claverol-Tinture
Department of Electronics, Technical University of Catalonia, Jordi Girona, 1 3, 08034 Barcelona, Spain
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:2211-6. 2004..e., an insertion normal to the cell body layer)...
- Robust penetrating microelectrodes for neural interfaces realized by titanium micromachiningPatrick T McCarthy
School of Mechanical Engineering, Birck Nanotechnology Center, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Biomed Microdevices 13:503-15. 2011..by the intrinsic brittleness of silicon, the material most commonly used for manufacture of penetrating microelectrodes. This brittleness creates predisposition for catastrophic fracture, which may adversely affect the ..
- Monopolar vs. bipolar subretinal stimulation-an in vitro studyMatthias Gerhardt
Tyndall National Institute, Prospect Row, Cork, Ireland
J Neurosci Methods 199:26-34. 2011..Liquid inclusions, eventually separating the retina from the electrodes are discussed to be a major cause for low ganglion cell responses during stimulation with the bipolar electrode configuration...
- Diamond microelectrodes for in vitro electroanalytical measurements: current status and remaining challengesJinWoo Park
Department of Chemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Analyst 133:17-24. 2008..research field in electrochemistry today is the preparation, characterization and application of diamond microelectrodes for electroanalytical measurements in biological media...
- Carbon nanotube composite coating of neural microelectrodes preferentially improves the multiunit signal-to-noise ratioGytis Baranauskas
Robotics, Brain and Cognitive Sciences Department, Italian Institute of Technology, Genoa, Italy
J Neural Eng 8:066013. 2011Extracellular metal microelectrodes are widely used to record single neuron activity in vivo. However, their signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) is often far from optimal due to their high impedance value...
- Independent positioning of microelectrodes for multisite recordings in vitroKlaus Albus
Institut fur Neurophysiologie, Johannes Müller Centre of Physiology, CCM, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Tucholskystr 2, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Neurosci Methods 176:182-5. 2009..handle, inexpensive multisite recording system is described which allows independent positioning of several microelectrodes with high precision axial movement of each electrode...
- Carbon-fiber microelectrodes modified with 4-sulfobenzene have increased sensitivity and selectivity for catecholaminesAndre Hermans
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 3290, USA
Langmuir 22:1964-9. 2006Elliptical and cylindrical geometries of carbon-fiber microelectrodes were modified by covalent attachment of 4-sulfobenzenediazonium tetrafluoroborate following its electroreduction...
- Catch and release cell sorting: electrochemical desorption of T-cells from antibody-modified microelectrodesHe Zhu
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of California, Davis, 451 East Health Sciences Street 2619, Davis, CA 95616, United States
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 64:260-8. 2008..microsystem for selective capture and release of cells consisted of an array of individually addressable gold microelectrodes fabricated on a glass substrate...
- "Black" responses dominate macaque primary visual cortex v1Chun I Yeh
Center for Neural Science, New York University, New York, 10036, USA
J Neurosci 29:11753-60. 2009..1988, 1995; Olman et al., 2008)...
- Poly(vinyl alcohol)/poly(acrylic acid) hydrogel coatings for improving electrode-neural tissue interfaceYi Lu
College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei 430072, China
Biomaterials 30:4143-51. 2009..in the electrochemical impedance and maximum charge injection (Q(inj)) limits of the coated iridium oxide microelectrodes were negligible. Protein adsorption on PDMS was reduced by approximately 85% after coating...
- Carbon fiber microelectrodes with multiple sensing elements for in vivo voltammetryShawn F Dressman
Department of Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
J Neurosci Methods 119:75-81. 2002..The microelectrodes were used to monitor extracellular dopamine at multiple depths beneath the brain surface during electrical ..
- Oxidative stress in cancer prone xeroderma pigmentosum fibroblasts. Real-time and single cell monitoring of superoxide and nitric oxide production with microelectrodesStephane Arbault
Departement de Chimie, UMR CNRS 8640 PASTEUR, Ecole Normale Superieure, 24 rue Lhomond, F 75231 Paris Cedex 05, France
Carcinogenesis 25:509-15. 2004..They were investigated here at the level of a single fibroblast by an electrochemical method based on microelectrodes we have developed previously...
- Temperature dependence and interferences of NO and N₂O microelectrodes used in wastewater treatmentSarina Jenni
Eawag, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 46:2257-66. 2012..The results from this study help to significantly shorten and optimize the determination of the correction functions and are therefore relevant for all users of nitric and nitrous oxide electrodes...
- Reducing surface area while maintaining implant penetrating profile lowers the brain foreign body response to chronically implanted planar silicon microelectrode arraysJohn L Skousen
Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Prog Brain Res 194:167-80. 2011....
- Nanostructured gold microelectrodes for extracellular recording from electrogenic cellsD Bruggemann
Institute of Complex Systems and Peter Grünberg Institute Bioelectronics ICS8 PGI8, Forschungszentrum Julich GmbH, Julich, Germany
Nanotechnology 22:265104. 2011..Increasing the aspect ratio of the gold nanopillars and changing the geometrical layout can further enhance the signal quality in the future...
- Functional groups modulate the sensitivity and electron transfer kinetics of neurochemicals at carbon nanotube modified microelectrodesChristopher B Jacobs
Dept of Chemistry, University of Virginia, P O Box 400319, Charlottesville, VA 22904, USA
Analyst 136:3557-65. 2011..In this study, we modified carbon-fiber microelectrodes (CFMEs) with three differently functionalized single-wall carbon nanotubes and measured their response to ..
- Porous silicon as a potential electrode material in a nerve repair setting: Tissue reactionsFredrik Johansson
Nano Neuro Research Center, Lund University, Sweden
Acta Biomater 5:2230-7. 2009..We conclude that a pSi surface, due to its large surface area, diminished inflammatory response and firm adhesion to the tissue, should be a good material for the development of new implantable electronic nerve devices...
- Corrosion of tungsten microelectrodes used in neural recording applicationsErin Patrick
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, USA
J Neurosci Methods 198:158-71. 2011..The reduced in vivo corrosion rate as compared to the bench-top rate is attributed to decreased rate of oxygen diffusion caused by the presence of a biological film and a reduced concentration of available oxygen in the brain...
- Thin microelectrodes reduce GFAP expression in the implant site in rodent somatosensory cortexPaula Stice
Harrington Department of Bioengineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 9709, USA
J Neural Eng 4:42-53. 2007..Future studies with longer implant durations can confirm if this observation remains consistent beyond 4 weeks...
- Effect of expressing the water channel aquaporin-1 on the CO2 permeability of Xenopus oocytesN L Nakhoul
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Am J Physiol 274:C543-8. 1998..We expressed AQP1 in Xenopus oocytes by injecting AQP1 cRNA, and we assessed CO2 permeability by using microelectrodes to monitor the changes in intracellular pH (pHi) produced by adding 1...
- A comparative study on fabrication techniques for on-chip microelectrodesYuksel Temiz
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, Laboratory of Life Sciences Electronics CLSE, EPFL STI IBI CLSE Station 17, Lausanne, Switzerland
Lab Chip 12:4920-8. 2012..Pt microelectrodes with diameters of 50 μm, 100 μm and 200 μm are patterned on a Si substrate with SiO(2) film...
- Flame etching enhances the sensitivity of carbon-fiber microelectrodesAndrew M Strand
Department of Chemistry, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22904 4319, USA
Anal Chem 80:3708-15. 2008..In this paper, we compare two methods of fabrication of small, cylindrical carbon-fiber microelectrodes: flame-etching and electrochemical etching...
- Real-time refinement of subthalamic nucleus targeting using Bayesian decision-making on the root mean square measureAnan Moran
Gonda Multidisciplinary Brain Research Center and Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Mov Disord 21:1425-31. 2006....
- Integration of single-cell trapping and impedance measurement utilizing microwell electrodesKung Chieh Lan
Department of Electrical Engineering and Center for Micro Nano Science and Technology, National Cheng Kung University, 1 University Road, Tainan 701, Taiwan
Biosens Bioelectron 26:2025-31. 2011..The results show that the impedance error of the particle is about 3%. Finally, the developed structure is applied to trap and measure the impedance of a HeLa cell...
- Investigation of parameters controlling the dielectrophoretic assembly of carbon nanotubes on microelectrodesMaria Dimaki
MIC Department of Micro and Nanotechnology, Technical University of Denmark, Bldg 345E, 2800 Kgs Lyngby, Denmark
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 8:1973-8. 2008Networks of single-walled carbon nanotubes were assembled onto microelectrodes by dielectrophoresis...
- A carbon fiber microelectrode-based third-generation biosensor for superoxide anionYang Tian
Department of Electronic Chemistry, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8502, Japan
Biosens Bioelectron 21:557-64. 2005..Along with the implantable capacity inherent in the CFMEs, these striking analytical properties of the CFME-based biosensors substantially make them potential for in vivo determination of O(2)(-)...
- Human neocortical electrical activity recorded on nonpenetrating microwire arrays: applicability for neuroprosthesesSpencer S Kellis
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Neurosurg Focus 27:E9. 2009..The goal of this study was to determine whether a nonpenetrating, high-density microwire array could provide sufficient information to serve as the interface for decoding motor cortical signals...
- Specific oxygen-containing functional groups on the carbon surface underlie an enhanced sensitivity to dopamine at electrochemically pretreated carbon fiber microelectrodesJames G Roberts
Department of Chemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695, USA
Langmuir 26:9116-22. 2010The in vivo use of carbon-fiber microelectrodes for neurochemical investigation has proven to be selective and sensitive when coupled with background-subtracted fast-scan cyclic voltammetry (FSCV)...
- Optimized carbon nanotube fiber microelectrodes as potential analytical toolsLucie Viry
Centre de Recherche Paul Pascal, CNRS, 115 Av A Schweiter, 33600 Pessac, France
Anal Bioanal Chem 389:499-505. 2007The preparation and interesting electrochemical properties of carbon nanotube (CNT) fiber microelectrodes are reported...
- Selective trapping of live and dead mammalian cells using insulator-based dielectrophoresis within open-top microstructuresChun Ping Jen
Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Chung Cheng University, No 168, University Rd, Min Hsiung, Chia Yi, 62102, Taiwan, Reublic of China
Biomed Microdevices 11:597-607. 2009..For retaining the merit of microfabrication, the microelectrodes were deposited on the substrate to reduce the voltage required, due to the shortened spacing between them...
- Micro-field evoked potentials recorded from the porcine sub-dural cortical surface utilizing a microelectrode arrayJoseph P Kitzmiller
Department of Neurology, The Ohio State University, Means Hall 469, 1654 Upham Drive, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Neurosci Methods 162:155-61. 2007..Further work will be needed to determine how these micro-field potentials, which demonstrate selectivity for one eye, relate to the distribution of the ocular dominance columns of the occipital cortex...
- An evaluation of the conductivity profile in the somatosensory barrel cortex of Wistar ratsTakakuni Goto
Tohoku University, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
J Neurophysiol 104:3388-412. 2010..We concluded that the conductivity profile must be included in future developments of CSD analysis, especially for rodents...
- Interdigitated array microelectrodes based impedance biosensors for detection of bacterial cellsMadhukar Varshney
School of Applied and Engineering Physics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Biosens Bioelectron 24:2951-60. 2009..Interdigitated array microelectrodes (IDAM) have been integrated with impedance detection in order to miniaturize the conventional electrodes, ..
- Optoelectronic retinal prosthesis: system design and performanceJ D Loudin
Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory, Stanford University, 445 Via Palou, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Neural Eng 4:S72-84. 2007..Pixel sizes are scalable from 100 to 25 microm, corresponding to 640-10,000 pixels on an implant 3 mm in diameter...
- Multielectrode microprobes for deep-brain stimulation fabricated with a customizable 3-D electroplating processPaulo S Motta
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 52:923-33. 2005..e., smoothly tapering diameter) with a corresponding mechanically stable shank...
- Magnetic field perturbation of neural recording and stimulating microelectrodesFrancisco M Martinez-Santiesteban
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Phys Med Biol 52:2073-88. 2007..However, little attention has been paid to the image artefacts produced by the microelectrodes that compromise the anatomical or functional information of those studies...
- Visual prosthesisPeter H Schiller
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139 4307, USA
Perception 37:1529-59. 2008....
- Impedance-based retinal contact imaging as an aid for the placement of high resolution epiretinal prosthesesLee Johnson
SFA Inc, Onsite Contractor for the Naval Research Laboratory, 4555 Overlook Avenue, Washington, DC 20375, USA
J Neural Eng 4:S17-23. 2007..In addition, we evaluated the three-dimensional profile of the stimulation voltage distribution to assess the importance of close retinal contact for high resolution stimulation...
- Repeated voltage biasing improves unit recordings by reducing resistive tissue impedancesMatthew D Johnson
Biomedical Engineering Department, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 13:160-5. 2005..In most cases, these changes did parallel an improvement in SNR. These findings suggest that rejuvenation may be a useful intervention strategy to prolong the lifetime of chronically implanted microelectrodes.
- Neuronal network morphology and electrophysiologyof hippocampal neurons cultured on surface-treated multielectrode arraysWalid V Soussou
Neuroscience Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 2520, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:1309-20. 2007..These data indicate that factors, which influence adherence of neurons to surfaces, can profoundly impact both neuronal network morphology and electrophysiological activity in vitro...
- Fabrication of implantable microelectrode arrays by laser cutting of silicone rubber and platinum foilM Schuettler
Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, University College London, Implanted Devices Group, Malet Place Engineering Building, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
J Neural Eng 2:S121-8. 2005..The method does not require expensive clean room facilities and offers an extremely short design-to-prototype time of below 1 day. First prototypes demonstrate a minimal achievable feature size of about 30 microm...
- Technology for an advanced cochlear nucleus auditory prosthesisDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2009..In animal studies, penetrating microelectrodes are better able to convey the spectral information of sound, and NF2 patients whose auditory brainstem ..
- Technology for an advanced cochlear nucleus auditory prosthesisDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2009..In animal studies, penetrating microelectrodes are better able to convey the spectral information of sound, and NF2 patients whose auditory brainstem ..
- Intra vs. extracortical command signals to restore six dimensional hand movementsDAWN MARIE TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..recording technologies are being developed and commercialized for chronic human use: 1) small intracortical microelectrodes that are implanted a few millimeters into the brain and can detect the firing activity of many individual ..
- FUNCTIONAL ASPECTS OF OXYGEN DELIVERYMarcos Intaglietta; Fiscal Year: 2004..rate of oxygen exit from arterioles by diffusion a phenomenon measured by other investigators using oxygen microelectrodes and the change in microvessel blood oxygen saturation and by us using the phosphorescence quenching technique...
- CRCNS: Dimensionality Reduction in Cortico-Muscular Control of the HandNITISH VYOMESH THAKOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..To test our hypotheses, we will acquire data simultaneously from 128 single neuron microelectrodes implanted in the primary motor cortex hand representation, from 16 electromyographic electrodes implanted in ..
- CRCNS: Dimensionality Reduction in Cortico-Muscular Control of the HandMarc Schieber; Fiscal Year: 2009..To test our hypotheses, we will acquire data simultaneously from 128 single neuron microelectrodes implanted in the primary motor cortex hand representation, from 16 electromyographic electrodes implanted in ..
- ELECTROCHEMICAL DNA-BASED SENSORSJacqueline K Barton; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Microelectrodes offer faster kinetics, as well as sensitivity in monitoring protein binding...
- SECRETION FROM INDIVIDUAL VESICLESRobert Wightman; Fiscal Year: 2009..To evaluate events after exocytosis, carbon-fiber microelectrodes can be placed in tissue slices maintained in physiological buffer...
- SECRETION FROM INDIVIDUAL VESICLESROBERT MARK WIGHTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..To evaluate events after exocytosis, carbon-fiber microelectrodes can be placed in tissue slices maintained in physiological buffer...
- 3-Dimensional modeling of basal cell function in pseudostratified epitheliaSylvie Breton; Fiscal Year: 2010..objectives, and in which ionic and nitric oxide fluxes will be measured in real time using selective microelectrodes. We will focus on two epithelia, the epididymis, which is at the core of our research program, and the ..
- 3-Dimensional modeling of basal cell function in pseudostratified epitheliaSylvie Breton; Fiscal Year: 2009..objectives, and in which ionic and nitric oxide fluxes will be measured in real time using selective microelectrodes. We will focus on two epithelia, the epididymis, which is at the core of our research program, and the ..
- Functional Invitro CNS and PNS Myelination ModelStephen Lambert; Fiscal Year: 2010..will be provided not only by myotube contraction, but also by stimulating and recording microelectrodes flanking the myelination compartment, that allow for direct measurements of conduction velocity changes ..
- SPECTRAL AND METABOLIC BASIS OF VISUAL RESPONSESM Cornwall; Fiscal Year: 1993..responses of these cells under background and bleach-adapted conditions will be obtained using suction microelectrodes. Changes in visual pigment content will be measured using microspectrophotometry...
- ELECTROANALYSIS OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND MODULATORSRobert Wightman; Fiscal Year: 2005..Adsorption of neurotransmitters on carbon-fiber microelectrodes contributes to the sensitivity of these probes in vivo, but it also decreases response time...
- ELECTROANALYSIS OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND MODULATORSROBERT MARK WIGHTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Both are electroactive and amenable to detection with fast-scan cyclic voltammetry at carbon-fiber microelectrodes. Three specific aims focus on new technology (1, 3, and 5), to be evaluated in anesthetized rats, and two ..
- MICROELECTRODE ARRAYS FOR DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION AND RECDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposal addresses the RFA's invitation to "develop microelectrodes that can simultaneously stimulate and record and perform microdialysis or infuse chemicals"...
- CFTR and acid-base transporters of intestinal epitheliaLane Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2009..cells in intact villi using BCECF ratio microfluorimetry to measure intracellular pH (pHi), single-barreled microelectrodes to measure apical membrane potential, and laser capture dissection coupled with quantitative real-time PCR ..
- CFTR and acid-base transporters of intestinal epitheliaLane Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2007..cells in intact villi using BCECF ratio microfluorimetry to measure intracellular pH (pHi), single-barreled microelectrodes to measure apical membrane potential, and laser capture dissection coupled with quantitative real-time PCR ..
- DIFFUSION OF SUBSTANCES THROUGH THE BRAINCharles Nicholson; Fiscal Year: 1999..The subsequent distribution of the molecules will be measured using ion-selective microelectrodes (for tetramethylammonium and potassium), fast scan cyclic voltammetry (for dopamine) and integrative optical ..
- Arrays for deep brain microstimulation and recordingDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2007..An array of stimulating microelectrodes distributed through the target nucleus would permit precise control of the spatial distribution of the ..
- Arrays for deep brain microstimulation and recordingDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2009..An array of stimulating microelectrodes distributed through the target nucleus would permit precise control of the spatial distribution of the ..
- HEAT AND RADIATION EFFECTS ON TUMOR MICROCIRCULATIONMark Dewhirst; Fiscal Year: 2000..Intravital microscopy and O2 microelectrodes will be used to measure temporal changes in blood flow and perivascular 02 levels and if temporal variations ..
- Carbon Nanotube Fibers as Implantable Neural ElectrodesDouglas Adamson; Fiscal Year: 2007..nervous system diseases require implantation of electrically conductive interfaces between neural tissues and microelectrodes. Currently available metal/silicon-based devices are not stable over the long term, mostly due to gliosis and ..
- INNER EAR FLUID INTERACTIONSALEC SALT; Fiscal Year: 1993..between compartments has been monitored using a variety of techniques which involve ion-selective microelectrodes. Such electrodes can be sealed into the cochlea, permitting measurements to be made while avoiding artifacts ..
- Carbon Nanotube Fibers as Implantable Neural ElectrodesDouglas Adamson; Fiscal Year: 2009..nervous system diseases require implantation of electrically conductive interfaces between neural tissues and microelectrodes. Currently available metal/silicon-based devices are not stable over the long term, mostly due to gliosis and ..
- UNIT CONTROL OF MUSCLE BLOOD FLOWSTEVEN SEGAL; Fiscal Year: 2000..Stimulation with microelectrodes will be used to test the hypothesis that (iii) muscle fiber contraction results in perfusion of MVUs along ..
- CARDIAC CELL VOLUME REGULATION IN CARDIOPLEGIACLIVE BAUMGARTEN; Fiscal Year: 1993..of cell volume and determinants of the intracellular ion activities of K+, Na+, Cl- and H+ with ion-selective microelectrodes (ISE) in both isolated ventricular myocytes and papillary muscles from adult and neonatal rabbit hearts...
- REFLEX PATHWAYS IN THE CONTROL OF INTESTINAL MOTILITYTerence Smith; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will use intracellular microelectrodes and tension recordings to determine the basic responses of the longitudinal and circular muscle layers to ..