Genomes and Genes
Summary: Electrodes with an extremely small tip, used in a voltage clamp or other apparatus to stimulate or record bioelectric potentials of single cells intracellularly or extracellularly. (Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications237 found, 100 shown here
- Comparison of tumor and normal tissue oxygen tension measurements using OxyLite or microelectrodes in rodentsR D Braun
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 280:H2533-44. 2001In this study we compare oxygen tension (PO2) histograms measured with O2 microelectrodes and a new optical PO2 measurement device, the OxyLite, in normal tissues (mouse spleen and thymus) and in tumors (R3230Ac in rats) (n = 5-6)...
- Massively parallel recording of unit and local field potentials with silicon-based electrodesJozsef Csicsvari
Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey 07102, USA
J Neurophysiol 90:1314-23. 2003..Silicon technology is a promising approach for high-density, high-resolution sampling of neuronal activity in both basic research and prosthetic devices...
- Reliability of signals from a chronically implanted, silicon-based electrode array in non-human primate primary motor cortexSelim Suner
Department of Emergency Medicine and Surgery, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 13:524-41. 2005..Here, we demonstrate the reliability of a regular array of 100 microelectrodes to obtain neural recordings from primary motor cortex (MI) of monkeys for at least three months and up to 1...
- Electrical multisite stimulation of the isolated chicken retinaA Stett
NMI Natural and Medical Sciences Institute, Markwiesenstrasse 55, D 72770, Reutlingen, Germany
Vision Res 40:1785-95. 2000..The response was altered or disappeared when synaptic transmission was blocked. Our results indicate that shape perception and object location can be partially achieved with subretinal electrical multisite stimulation...
- Low-density neuronal networks cultured using patterned poly-l-lysine on microelectrode arraysSang Beom Jun
Nano Bioelectronics and Systems Research Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Neurosci Methods 160:317-26. 2007..Application of DNQX, an AMPA antagonist, blocked all spontaneous activity, suggesting that the activity is excitatory and mediated through glutamate receptors...
- Neuronal avalanches are diverse and precise activity patterns that are stable for many hours in cortical slice culturesJohn M Beggs
Unit of Neural Network Physiology, Laboratory of Systems Neuroscience, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Neurosci 24:5216-29. 2004....
- Direct activation of sparse, distributed populations of cortical neurons by electrical microstimulationMark H Histed
Department of Neurobiology, Harvard Medical School, 220 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Neuron 63:508-22. 2009..Our results indicate that the pattern of activated neurons likely arises from the direct activation of axons in a volume tens of microns in diameter...
- Local generation of fast ripples in epileptic brainAnatol Bragin
Department of Neurology, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90095 1769, USA
J Neurosci 22:2012-21. 2002..Our data illustrate that hypothesized clusters of highly interconnected neurons are capable of overcoming interneuron feedback inhibition, resulting in generation of epileptiform bursts, eventually leading to seizure activity...
- Community structure, abundance, and in situ activity of nitrifying bacteria in river sediments as determined by the combined use of molecular techniques and microelectrodesYoshiyuki Nakamura
Department of Urban and Environmental Engineering, Graduate School of Engineering, Hokkaido University, North-13, West-8, Sapporo 060-8628, Japan
Environ Sci Technol 40:1532-9. 2006..use of 16S rRNA gene-cloning analysis, real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction (RTQ-PCR) assays, and microelectrodes. The goal of this research was to evaluate the contribution of nitrifying activity in the sediment to the ..
- High-resolution three-dimensional extracellular recording of neuronal activity with microfabricated electrode arraysJiangang Du
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California, USA
J Neurophysiol 101:1671-8. 2009..The large-scale integration of such dual-side and multilayer arrays is expected to provide massively parallel recording capabilities in the brain...
- Microelectrode-guided implantation of deep brain stimulators into the globus pallidus internus for dystonia: techniques, electrode locations, and outcomesPhilip A Starr
Department of Neurosurgery, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
J Neurosurg 104:488-501. 2006....
- Spatiotemporal profiles of field potentials in mouse superior colliculus analyzed by multichannel recordingPenphimon Phongphanphanee
Department of Developmental Physiology, National Institute for Physiological Sciences, Myodaiji, Okazaki 444 8585, Japan
J Neurosci 28:9309-18. 2008..The present study revealed an extensive excitatory network in the dSC that may contribute to the generation of activity by a large population of neurons that discharge before a saccade...
- Parylene flexible neural probes integrated with microfluidic channelsShoji Takeuchi
Center for International Research on MicroMechatronics, Institute of Industrial Science, Tokyo, Japan
Lab Chip 5:519-23. 2005..We were able to insert the probe into a rat's brain and measure the neural signals with the electrode...
- Development of microelectrode arrays for artificial retinal implants using liquid crystal polymersSeung Woo Lee
School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Gwanak Gu, Korea
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:5859-66. 2009..To develop a liquid crystal polymer (LCP)-based, long-term implantable, retinal stimulation microelectrode array using a novel fabrication method...
- The potential of microelectrode arrays and microelectronics for biomedical research and diagnosticsIan L Jones
Department Biosystems Science and Engineering, Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule Zurich, Basel, Switzerland
Anal Bioanal Chem 399:2313-29. 2011....
- Rat vs. rabbit ventricle: Ca flux and intracellular Na assessed by ion-selective microelectrodesM J Shattock
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside 92521 0121
Am J Physiol 256:C813-22. 1989..movements in rabbit and rat ventricular muscle were compared using extracellular double-barreled Ca-selective microelectrodes. In rabbit ventricle, steady-state twitches were associated with transient extracellular Ca (Cao) depletions, ..
- Microelectrodes for the measurement of catecholamines in biological systemsP S Cahill
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 3290, USA
Anal Chem 68:3180-6. 1996..For the study of neurotransmitter release in vivo, larger cylindrical microelectrodes are advantageous because the secreted molecules come from multiple terminals near the electrode, and the ..
- Substance identification by quantitative characterization of oscillatory activity in murine spinal cord networks on microelectrode arraysAlexandra Gramowski
Institute of Cell Biology and Biosystems Technology, University of Rostock, Albert Einstein Strasse 3, 18059 Rostock, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 19:2815-25. 2004..It is anticipated that this kind of approach will help to quantify pharmacological responses of networks used as biosensors...
- Stepwise pattern modification of neuronal network in photo-thermally-etched agarose architecture on multi-electrode array chip for individual-cell-based electrophysiological measurementIkurou Suzuki
Department of Life Sciences, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo, 3-8-1 Komaba, Meguro, Tokyo 153-8902, Japan
Lab Chip 5:241-7. 2005..We can thus better understand the meaning of neuronal network patterns and connection directions...
- Factors affecting perceptual thresholds in epiretinal prosthesesChloé de Balthasar
Department of Ophthalmology and Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:2303-14. 2008..S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved clinical trial...
- Predicting visual sensitivity in retinal prosthesis patientsAlan Horsager
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:1483-91. 2009....
- In-cell recordings by extracellular microelectrodesAviad Hai
Department of Neurobiology, Life Science Institute, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
Nat Methods 7:200-2. 2010..Here we report an approach to induce Aplysia californica neurons to actively engulf protruding microelectrodes, providing 'in-cell recordings' of subthreshold synaptic and action potentials with signal-to-noise ratio ..
- Cortical microstimulation in auditory cortex of rat elicits best-frequency dependent behaviorsKevin J Otto
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2125, USA
J Neural Eng 2:42-51. 2005..however, the perceptual effects of auditory cortical microstimulation delivered through penetrating microelectrodes have not been clearly elucidated...
- Plasticity of recurring spatiotemporal activity patterns in cortical networksRadhika Madhavan
Laboratory for Neuroengineering, Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology and Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Phys Biol 4:181-93. 2007....
- Locations of movement-related cells in the human subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's diseasePhilip V Theodosopoulos
Department of Neurosurgery, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Mov Disord 18:791-8. 2003..Our findings are consistent with the small number of published studies on STN somatopy in the human and the nonhuman primate...
- Thresholds for activation of rabbit retinal ganglion cells with an ultrafine, extracellular microelectrodeRalph J Jensen
Center for Innovative Visual Rehabilitation, VA Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:3533-43. 2003..To determine electrical thresholds required for extracellular activation of retinal ganglion cells as part of a project to develop an epiretinal prosthesis...
- Electrical stimulation of mammalian retinal ganglion cells with multielectrode arraysChris Sekirnjak
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, San Diego, California, USA
J Neurophysiol 95:3311-27. 2006..We review previous epiretinal stimulation studies and discuss our results in the context of 32 other publications, comparing threshold parameters and safety limits...
- Current-source density estimation based on inversion of electrostatic forward solution: effects of finite extent of neuronal activity and conductivity discontinuitiesKlas H Pettersen
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As
J Neurosci Methods 154:116-33. 2006..To illustrate the application to real data, iCSD estimates of stimulus-evoked responses measured with laminar electrodes in the rat somatosensory (barrel) cortex are compared to estimates from the standard CSD method...
- Cortical innervation of the facial nucleus in the non-human primate: a new interpretation of the effects of stroke and related subtotal brain trauma on the muscles of facial expressionR J Morecraft
Division of Basic Biomedical Sciences, The University of South Dakota School of Medicine, Vermillion, South Dakota, USA
Brain 124:176-208. 2001....
- An in vitro model of a retinal prosthesisAshish K Ahuja
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 2654, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 55:1744-53. 2008..66 +/- 1.30 nC/cm2, respectively, while the required charge was 12.5 +/- 6.2 and 19 +/- 3.3 nC...
- An array of microactuated microelectrodes for monitoring single-neuronal activity in rodentsJit Muthuswamy
Harrington Department of Bioengineering, ECG 334, P O Box 879709, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 9709, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 52:1470-7. 2005Arrays of microelectrodes used for monitoring single- and multi-neuronal action potentials often fail to record from the same population of neurons over a period of time for several technical and biological reasons...
- Networks of neurons coupled to microelectrode arrays: a neuronal sensory system for pharmacological applicationsM Chiappalone
Department of Biophysical and Electronic Engineering (DIBE, Neuroengineering and Bio-nano Technologies Group, University of Genova, Genova, Italy
Biosens Bioelectron 18:627-34. 2003....
- Integration of single-cell trapping and impedance measurement utilizing microwell electrodesKung Chieh Lan
Department of Electrical Engineering and Center for Micro Nano Science and Technology, National Cheng Kung University, 1 University Road, Tainan 701, Taiwan
Biosens Bioelectron 26:2025-31. 2011..The results show that the impedance error of the particle is about 3%. Finally, the developed structure is applied to trap and measure the impedance of a HeLa cell...
- Real-time refinement of subthalamic nucleus targeting using Bayesian decision-making on the root mean square measureAnan Moran
Gonda Multidisciplinary Brain Research Center and Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Mov Disord 21:1425-31. 2006....
- Investigation of parameters controlling the dielectrophoretic assembly of carbon nanotubes on microelectrodesMaria Dimaki
MIC Department of Micro and Nanotechnology, Technical University of Denmark, Bldg 345E, 2800 Kgs Lyngby, Denmark
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 8:1973-8. 2008Networks of single-walled carbon nanotubes were assembled onto microelectrodes by dielectrophoresis...
- An evaluation of the conductivity profile in the somatosensory barrel cortex of Wistar ratsTakakuni Goto
Tohoku University, Institute of Development, Aging and Cancer, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
J Neurophysiol 104:3388-412. 2010..We concluded that the conductivity profile must be included in future developments of CSD analysis, especially for rodents...
- A carbon fiber microelectrode-based third-generation biosensor for superoxide anionYang Tian
Department of Electronic Chemistry, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8502, Japan
Biosens Bioelectron 21:557-64. 2005..Along with the implantable capacity inherent in the CFMEs, these striking analytical properties of the CFME-based biosensors substantially make them potential for in vivo determination of O(2)(-)...
- Selective trapping of live and dead mammalian cells using insulator-based dielectrophoresis within open-top microstructuresChun Ping Jen
Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Chung Cheng University, No 168, University Rd, Min Hsiung, Chia Yi, 62102, Taiwan, Reublic of China
Biomed Microdevices 11:597-607. 2009..For retaining the merit of microfabrication, the microelectrodes were deposited on the substrate to reduce the voltage required, due to the shortened spacing between them...
- Optimized carbon nanotube fiber microelectrodes as potential analytical toolsLucie Viry
Centre de Recherche Paul Pascal, CNRS, 115 Av A Schweiter, 33600 Pessac, France
Anal Bioanal Chem 389:499-505. 2007The preparation and interesting electrochemical properties of carbon nanotube (CNT) fiber microelectrodes are reported...
- Micro-field evoked potentials recorded from the porcine sub-dural cortical surface utilizing a microelectrode arrayJoseph P Kitzmiller
Department of Neurology, The Ohio State University, Means Hall 469, 1654 Upham Drive, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Neurosci Methods 162:155-61. 2007..Further work will be needed to determine how these micro-field potentials, which demonstrate selectivity for one eye, relate to the distribution of the ocular dominance columns of the occipital cortex...
- Human neocortical electrical activity recorded on nonpenetrating microwire arrays: applicability for neuroprosthesesSpencer S Kellis
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Neurosurg Focus 27:E9. 2009..The goal of this study was to determine whether a nonpenetrating, high-density microwire array could provide sufficient information to serve as the interface for decoding motor cortical signals...
- Specific oxygen-containing functional groups on the carbon surface underlie an enhanced sensitivity to dopamine at electrochemically pretreated carbon fiber microelectrodesJames G Roberts
Department of Chemistry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina 27695, USA
Langmuir 26:9116-22. 2010The in vivo use of carbon-fiber microelectrodes for neurochemical investigation has proven to be selective and sensitive when coupled with background-subtracted fast-scan cyclic voltammetry (FSCV)...
- Brain penetration effects of microelectrodes and DBS leads in STN or GPiJ M Mann
Department of Neurology, University of Florida College of Medicine Shands Hospital, Movement Disorders Center, McKnight Brain Institute, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 80:794-7. 2009..Secondarily, to evaluate whether the longevity of the MER and lead placement effects were influenced by target location (subthalamic nucleus (STN) or globus pallidus interna (GPi))...
- Interdigitated array microelectrodes based impedance biosensors for detection of bacterial cellsMadhukar Varshney
School of Applied and Engineering Physics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Biosens Bioelectron 24:2951-60. 2009..Interdigitated array microelectrodes (IDAM) have been integrated with impedance detection in order to miniaturize the conventional electrodes, ..
- Ceramic-based multisite electrode arrays for chronic single-neuron recordingKaren A Moxon
School of Biomedical Engineering Science and Health System, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:647-56. 2004..The vertical arrangement of the recording sites on these electrodes is ideal for simultaneously recording across the different layers of brain areas such as the cerebral cortex and hippocampus in chronic preparations...
- Visual prosthesisPeter H Schiller
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139 4307, USA
Perception 37:1529-59. 2008....
- A study of intra-cochlear electrodes and tissue interface by electrochemical impedance methods in vivoY Y Duan
Co operative Research Centre for Cochlear Implant and Hearing Aid Innovation, The Bionic Ear Institute, 2F 32 Gisborne Street, East Melbourne, VIC 3002, Australia
Biomaterials 25:3813-28. 2004..The interface characteristics must be considered during interpretation of studies undertaken in vitro or in acute experiments in vivo, where physiological fluid is abundant...
- Overoxidation of carbon-fiber microelectrodes enhances dopamine adsorption and increases sensitivityMichael L A V Heien
Department of Chemistry and Neuroscience Center, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Analyst 128:1413-9. 2003The voltammetric responses of carbon-fiber microelectrodes with a 1.0 V and a 1.4 V anodic limit were compared in this study. Fast-scan cyclic voltammetry was used to characterize the response to dopamine and several other neurochemicals...
- Multielectrode microprobes for deep-brain stimulation fabricated with a customizable 3-D electroplating processPaulo S Motta
Department of Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 52:923-33. 2005..e., smoothly tapering diameter) with a corresponding mechanically stable shank...
- Electrical detection of TATA binding protein at DNA-modified microelectrodesAlon A Gorodetsky
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California 91125, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:2924-5. 2008
- Microelectrode array fabrication by electrical discharge machining and chemical etchingTimothy A Fofonoff
BioInstrumentation Laboratory, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:890-5. 2004..Several structures relevant to the fabrication of microelectrode arrays are also offered in order to demonstrate the capabilities of EDM...
- A microfluidic device to confine a single cardiac myocyte in a sub-nanoliter volume on planar microelectrodes for extracellular potential recordingsAndreas A Werdich
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
Lab Chip 4:357-62. 2004..chip is described which combines a microfluidic network fabricated in a silicone elastomer (PDMS) with planar microelectrodes. It was used to measure extracellular potentials from single adult murine cardiac myocytes in a restricted ..
- Fabrication of implantable microelectrode arrays by laser cutting of silicone rubber and platinum foilM Schuettler
Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, University College London, Implanted Devices Group, Malet Place Engineering Building, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, UK
J Neural Eng 2:S121-8. 2005..The method does not require expensive clean room facilities and offers an extremely short design-to-prototype time of below 1 day. First prototypes demonstrate a minimal achievable feature size of about 30 microm...
- Neuronal network morphology and electrophysiologyof hippocampal neurons cultured on surface-treated multielectrode arraysWalid V Soussou
Neuroscience Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 2520, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:1309-20. 2007..These data indicate that factors, which influence adherence of neurons to surfaces, can profoundly impact both neuronal network morphology and electrophysiological activity in vitro...
- Thresholds for activation of rabbit retinal ganglion cells with relatively large, extracellular microelectrodesRalph J Jensen
Center for Innovative Visual Rehabilitation, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:1486-96. 2005..To investigate the responses of retinal ganglion cells (RGCs) to electrical stimulation, using electrodes comparable in size to those used in human studies investigating the feasibility of an electronic retinal prosthesis...
- Characterization of local pH changes in brain using fast-scan cyclic voltammetry with carbon microelectrodesPavel Takmakov
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Anal Chem 82:9892-900. 2010..Previously, fast-scan cyclic voltammetry at carbon-fiber microelectrodes was used for the measurement of such pH transients...
- A multi-channel, implantable microdrive system for use with sharp, ultra-fine "Reitboeck" microelectrodesHarvey A Swadlow
Department of Psychology, The University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
J Neurophysiol 93:2959-65. 2005Arrays of closely spaced quartz-insulated, platinum-tungsten microelectrodes are widely used to obtain acute recordings from chronically prepared subjects...
- Repeated voltage biasing improves unit recordings by reducing resistive tissue impedancesMatthew D Johnson
Biomedical Engineering Department, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 13:160-5. 2005..In most cases, these changes did parallel an improvement in SNR. These findings suggest that rejuvenation may be a useful intervention strategy to prolong the lifetime of chronically implanted microelectrodes.
- Impedance-based retinal contact imaging as an aid for the placement of high resolution epiretinal prosthesesLee Johnson
SFA Inc, Onsite Contractor for the Naval Research Laboratory, 4555 Overlook Avenue, Washington, DC 20375, USA
J Neural Eng 4:S17-23. 2007..In addition, we evaluated the three-dimensional profile of the stimulation voltage distribution to assess the importance of close retinal contact for high resolution stimulation...
- In-vivo implant mechanics of flexible, silicon-based ACREO microelectrode arrays in rat cerebral cortexWinnie Jensen
Center for Sensory Motor Interaction, Department of Health Science, Aalborg University, 9220 Aalborg, Denmark
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:934-40. 2006..Careful cleaning is not only important to avoid foreign body response, but can also reduce the stress applied to the electrode while penetrating the brain tissue...
- Selective labeling of retinal ganglion cells with calcium indicators by retrograde loading in vitroMatthew R Behrend
Dept of Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Neurosci Methods 179:166-72. 2009..Following dye loading, the isolated retina was mounted on a microelectrode array to demonstrate that electrical activity and calcium activity were preserved, as the retina responded to electrical stimuli...
- Gelatine-embedded electrodes--a novel biocompatible vehicle allowing implantation of highly flexible microelectrodesGustav Lind
Department of Experimental Medical Sciences, Neuronano Research Center, Lund University, BMC F10, Lund, Sweden
J Neural Eng 7:046005. 2010..Successful electrophysiological recordings were made from very thin electrodes implanted in this fashion...
- Toward a comparison of microelectrodes for acute and chronic recordingsMatthew P Ward
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University, MJIS 2083, 206 S Martin Jischke Drive West Lafayette, IN 47907 USA
Brain Res 1282:183-200. 2009..b>Microelectrodes are compared in implanted rats through impedance, charge capacity, signal-to-noise ratio, recording stability,..
- Voltage pulses change neural interface properties and improve unit recordings with chronically implanted microelectrodesKevin J Otto
Kresge Hearing Research Institute, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:333-40. 2006..These findings suggest that rejuvenation may be an intervention strategy to prolong the functional lifetime of chronically implanted microelectrodes.
- Temporal interactions during paired-electrode stimulation in two retinal prosthesis subjectsAlan Horsager
Neuroscience Graduate Program, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:549-57. 2011..This study was conducted to investigate how the brightness of percepts is affected by pulse timing across electrodes in two of these patients...
- Magnetic field perturbation of neural recording and stimulating microelectrodesFrancisco M Martinez-Santiesteban
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Phys Med Biol 52:2073-88. 2007..However, little attention has been paid to the image artefacts produced by the microelectrodes that compromise the anatomical or functional information of those studies...
- Simulations to study spatial extent of stimulation and effect of electrode-tissue gap in subretinal implantsHarsha Kasi
Microsystems Laboratory LMIS4, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Med Eng Phys 33:755-63. 2011..Threshold stimulation currents and the lateral extent of the stimulation zone were computed for disc microelectrodes in subretinal stimulation mode...
- Neuronal loss due to prolonged controlled-current stimulation with chronically implanted microelectrodes in the cat cerebral cortexDouglas McCreery
Neural Engineering Program, Huntington Medical Research Institutes, Pasadena, CA 91105, USA
J Neural Eng 7:036005. 2010Activated iridium microelectrodes were implanted for 450-1282 days in the sensorimotor cortex of seven adult domestic cats and then pulsed for 240 h (8 h per day for 30 days) at 50 Hz...
- Collagenase-aided intracortical microelectrode array insertion: effects on insertion force and recording performanceKunal J Paralikar
Department of Bioengineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 55:2258-67. 2008Intracortical microelectrodes puncture the intact pia mater membrane during insertion, a process that can cause brain dimpling and trauma...
- Laser exposure of Parylene-C insulated microelectrodesE M Schmidt
Laboratory of Neural Control, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, MD 20892 4455, USA
J Neurosci Methods 62:89-92. 1995The polymer, Parylene-C, has proven to be a biocompatible insulation for microelectrodes. However, due to its inert nature, the removal of the insulation from the tips of microelectrodes is difficult...
- Dynamic and static calcium gradients inside large snail (Helix aspersa) neurones detected with calcium-sensitive microelectrodesRoger C Thomas
Department of Physiology, Development and Neuroscience, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3EG, UK
Cell Calcium 41:365-78. 2007We have used quartz Ca2+-sensitive microelectrodes (CASMs) in large voltage-clamped snail neurones to investigate the inward spread of Ca2+ after a brief depolarisation...
- Label-free immunosensor for prostate-specific antigen based on single-walled carbon nanotube array-modified microelectrodesJun Okuno
Institute of Scientific and Industrial Research, Osaka University, 8 1 Mihogaoka, Ibaraki, Osaka 567 0047, Japan
Biosens Bioelectron 22:2377-81. 2007..25 ng/mL. Since the cut-off limit of T-PSA between prostate hyperplasia and cancer is 4 ng/mL, the performance of our label-free electrochemical immunosensor seems promising for further clinical applications...
- Long-term, multisite, parallel, in-cell recording and stimulation by an array of extracellular microelectrodesAviad Hai
The Life Sciences Institute, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
J Neurophysiol 104:559-68. 2010..development of a novel neuroelectronic interface consisting of an array of noninvasive gold-mushroom-shaped microelectrodes (gMmicroEs) that practically provide intracellular recordings and stimulation of many individual neurons, ..
- Optoelectronic retinal prosthesis: system design and performanceJ D Loudin
Hansen Experimental Physics Laboratory, Stanford University, 445 Via Palou, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
J Neural Eng 4:S72-84. 2007..Pixel sizes are scalable from 100 to 25 microm, corresponding to 640-10,000 pixels on an implant 3 mm in diameter...
- Functional screening of traditional antidepressants with primary cortical neuronal networks grown on multielectrode neurochipsAlexandra Gramowski
Division of Cell Biology and Biosystems Technology, Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Rostock, Albert Einstein Strasse, 318059 Rostock, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 24:455-65. 2006....
- Non-invasive microelectrode ion flux measurements to study adaptive responses of microorganisms to the environmentLana Shabala
Australian Food Safety Centre of Excellence, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
FEMS Microbiol Rev 30:472-86. 2006..The technique can also be used for the rapid assessment of food-processing treatments aimed at reducing bacterial contamination of food and for the development of strategies to assess the resistance of organisms to antimicrobial agents...
- Drug evaluations using neuronal networks cultured on microelectrode arraysS I Morefield
Department of Biological Sciences and Center for Network Neuroscience, University of North Texas, Denton 76203, USA
Biosens Bioelectron 15:383-96. 2000..from dissociated embryonic murine spinal cord and auditory cortex and grown on substrate-integrated thin-film microelectrodes to determine characteristic responses to the cannabinoid agonists anandamide (AN) and methanandamide (MA)...
- A new approach to neural cell culture for long-term studiesS M Potter
156 29 Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
J Neurosci Methods 110:17-24. 2001..Membrane-sealed dishes will also be useful for the culture of many other cell types susceptible to evaporation and contamination...
- Nanostructured surface modification of ceramic-based microelectrodes to enhance biocompatibility for a direct brain-machine interfaceKaren A Moxon
School of Biomedical Engineering, Drexel University, 3141 Chestnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:881-9. 2004Many different types of microelectrodes have been developed for use as a direct Brain-Machine Interface (BMI) to chronically recording single neuron action potentials from ensembles of neurons...
- Microelectrode recording: lead point in STN-DBS surgeryM S Kim
Department of Neurosurgery, Inje University Busan Paik Hospital, Busan, Korea
Acta Neurochir Suppl 99:37-42. 2006..We evaluate the Lead point compared to the NeuroTrek system. We used NeuroTrek in 18 Parkinsonian patients, Lead point-4 in 12 patients, during STN-DBS surgery. We compared MR-Stir image with Microelectrode recording...
- Single-cell electroporationJessica Olofsson
Department of Physical Chemistry and Microtechnology Centre, Chalmers, SE-412 96, , Sweden
Curr Opin Biotechnol 14:29-34. 2003..Recently, microelectrodes that can produce extremely localized electric fields, such as solid carbon fiber microelectrodes, electrolyte-..
- Responses of human anterior cingulate cortex microdomains to error detection, conflict monitoring, stimulus-response mapping, familiarity, and orientingChunmao Wang
Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Neurosci 25:604-13. 2005..In this study, linear arrays of 24 microelectrodes were used to estimate population synaptic currents and neuronal firing in different layers of ACC during ..
- Analysis of Na+, Cl-, K+, H+ and NH4+ concentration gradients adjacent to the surface of anal papillae of the mosquito Aedes aegypti: application of self-referencing ion-selective microelectrodesAndrew Donini
Department of Biology, McMaster University, Life Sciences Building, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, L8S 4K1
J Exp Biol 208:603-10. 2005..the anal papillae of larvae of the mosquito Aedes aegypti were measured using self-referencing ion-selective microelectrodes. The gradients were used to calculate estimates of ion fluxes into and out of the papillae...
- Thin microelectrodes reduce GFAP expression in the implant site in rodent somatosensory cortexPaula Stice
Harrington Department of Bioengineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 9709, USA
J Neural Eng 4:42-53. 2007..Future studies with longer implant durations can confirm if this observation remains consistent beyond 4 weeks...
- Microelectrode biosensor for real-time measurement of ATP in biological tissueEnrique Llaudet
Warwick Biosensors Group, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL, United Kingdom
Anal Chem 77:3267-73. 2005..We have used our sensors to make the first demonstration that ATP is released from spinal networks in vivo during locomotor activity...
- Label-free DNA detection of hepatitis C virus based on modified conducting polypyrrole films at microelectrodes and atomic force microscopy tip-integrated electrodesCarla dos Santos Riccardi
School of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology, 901 Atlantic Dr, Atlanta, Georgia 30332 0400, USA
Anal Chem 80:237-45. 2008..C virus based on electrostatic modulation of the ion-exchange kinetics of a polypyrrole film deposited at microelectrodes. Synthetic single-stranded 18-mer HCV genotype-1-specific probe DNA has been immobilized at a 2,5-bis(2-..
- Biocompatible benzocyclobutene (BCB)-based neural implants with micro-fluidic channelKeekeun Lee
Department of Electrical Engineering, Center for Solid State Electronics Research, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 5706, USA
Biosens Bioelectron 20:404-7. 2004..The averaged impedance value at 1 KHz was approximately 1.2 MOmega. Simultaneous recordings of neural signals from barrel cortex of a rat were successfully demonstrated...
- Intraoperative microrecordings of the subthalamic nucleus in Parkinson's diseaseAbdelhamid Benazzouz
Department of Clinical and Biological Neurosciences, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U 318, University Hospital A Michallon, Pavillon B, Grenoble, France
Mov Disord 17:S145-9. 2002..By using five parallel trajectories, often two to three microelectrodes allow us to recognize subthalamic nucleus (STN) neuronal activity...
- The information content of spontaneous retinal wavesD A Butts
Physical Biosciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Department of Physics, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720 7300, USA
J Neurosci 21:961-73. 2001..More generally, these results demonstrate how the properties of neuronal systems can be inferred from the statistics of their input...
- A three-dimensional multi-electrode array for multi-site stimulation and recording in acute brain slicesMarc Olivier Heuschkel
Institute of Microsystems, EPFL, CH 1015, Lausanne, Switzerland
J Neurosci Methods 114:135-48. 2002..Spikes corresponding to single cell activity could be monitored in the hippocampus CA3 and CA1 region using 3D electrodes...
- Safety and risk of microelectrode recording in surgery for movement disordersMarwan I Hariz
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 78:146-57. 2002..In terms of safety for the patients, however, MER techniques are relatively safe, but non-Mer techniques, based on macrostimulation-guided surgery, are at least five times safer...
- Biological application of microelectrode arrays in drug discovery and basic researchAlfred Stett
, Markwiesenstr. 55, 72770, Reutlingen, Germany
Anal Bioanal Chem 377:486-95. 2003..Additionally, biophysical basics of recording and concepts for analysis of extracellular electrical signals are presented...
- Do microelectrode techniques increase accuracy or decrease risks in pallidotomy and deep brain stimulation? A critical review of the literatureM I Hariz
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 72:157-69. 1999..in both groups, the rate of severe complications, such as hematoma, and mortality appeared to be higher when microelectrodes were used, both in ablative surgery and in DBS procedures...
- Embryonic stem cells as a novel cell source of cell-based biosensorsQingjun Liu
Biosensor National Special Laboratory, Key Laboratory of Biomedical Engineering of Education Ministry, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310027, PR China
Biosens Bioelectron 22:810-5. 2007..Thus, the embryonic stem cells potentially represent a renewable cell source for the cell-based biosensors...
- Microelectrode array for chronic deep-brain microstimulation and recordingDouglas McCreery
Huntington Medical Research Institutes, Neural Engineering Program, 734 Fairmount Ave, Pasadena, CA 91105, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:726-37. 2006We have developed an array of microelectrodes that is suitable for long-term implantation into the subthalamic nucleus (STN) or the globus pallidus and is able to record from single neurons, as well as deliver localized microstimulation...
- A potentially insect-implantable trehalose electrooxidizing anodeArti Pothukuchy
Department of Chemical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA
Biosens Bioelectron 22:678-84. 2006..Trehalose was electrooxidized at pH 7.2 already at -0.36 V versus Ag/AgCl. At 0 V versus Ag/AgCl the trehalose electrooxidation current density was 0.1 mA/cm(2)...
- Chronic neural recordings using silicon microelectrode arrays electrochemically deposited with a poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) (PEDOT) filmKip A Ludwig
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
J Neural Eng 3:59-70. 2006..traditional electrode recording sites with the intent of improving the long-term performance of cortical microelectrodes. Conductive polymers can drastically decrease recording site impedance, which in turn is hypothesized to ..
- Electrophysiological mapping of cat primary auditory cortex with multielectrode arraysSeung-Jae Kim
The Department of Bioengineering, The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Ann Biomed Eng 34:300-9. 2006..53 +/- 0.08 octave per millimeter. This study demonstrates the use of high electrode count, microelectrode array recordings in characterizing the spatial distribution of acoustic information in the feline AI...
- A high-yield fabrication process for silicon neural probesSeung Jae Oh
Nano Bioelectronics and Systems Research Center, Seoul National University, Korea
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:351-4. 2006There is a great need for silicon microelectrodes that can simultaneously monitor the activity of many neurons in the brain...
- A 64-channel ASIC for in-vitro simultaneous recording and stimulation of neurons using microelectrode arraysO Billoint
CEA LETI MINATEC, DCIS SCME LCIB, 17 rue des Martyrs, 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:6070-3. 2007..Circuit size is 2.4 mm per 11.2 mm (0.35 microm CMOS process) and its power consumption is about 125 mW...
- Finite element analysis of a floating microstimulatorMesut Sahin
New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 15:227-34. 2007..The voltage field for any device size and current, and any specific resistance of the volume conductor can be predicted from these results so long as the aspect ratios are preserved...
- Technology for an advanced cochlear nucleus auditory prosthesisDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2009..In animal studies, penetrating microelectrodes are better able to convey the spectral information of sound, and NF2 patients whose auditory brainstem ..
- Technology for an advanced cochlear nucleus auditory prosthesisDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2009..In animal studies, penetrating microelectrodes are better able to convey the spectral information of sound, and NF2 patients whose auditory brainstem ..
- Intra vs. extracortical command signals to restore six dimensional hand movementsDAWN MARIE TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..recording technologies are being developed and commercialized for chronic human use: 1) small intracortical microelectrodes that are implanted a few millimeters into the brain and can detect the firing activity of many individual ..
- FUNCTIONAL ASPECTS OF OXYGEN DELIVERYMarcos Intaglietta; Fiscal Year: 2004..rate of oxygen exit from arterioles by diffusion a phenomenon measured by other investigators using oxygen microelectrodes and the change in microvessel blood oxygen saturation and by us using the phosphorescence quenching technique...
- CRCNS: Dimensionality Reduction in Cortico-Muscular Control of the HandNITISH VYOMESH THAKOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..To test our hypotheses, we will acquire data simultaneously from 128 single neuron microelectrodes implanted in the primary motor cortex hand representation, from 16 electromyographic electrodes implanted in ..
- CRCNS: Dimensionality Reduction in Cortico-Muscular Control of the HandMarc Schieber; Fiscal Year: 2009..To test our hypotheses, we will acquire data simultaneously from 128 single neuron microelectrodes implanted in the primary motor cortex hand representation, from 16 electromyographic electrodes implanted in ..
- ELECTROCHEMICAL DNA-BASED SENSORSJacqueline K Barton; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Microelectrodes offer faster kinetics, as well as sensitivity in monitoring protein binding...
- SECRETION FROM INDIVIDUAL VESICLESRobert Wightman; Fiscal Year: 2009..To evaluate events after exocytosis, carbon-fiber microelectrodes can be placed in tissue slices maintained in physiological buffer...
- SECRETION FROM INDIVIDUAL VESICLESROBERT MARK WIGHTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..To evaluate events after exocytosis, carbon-fiber microelectrodes can be placed in tissue slices maintained in physiological buffer...
- 3-Dimensional modeling of basal cell function in pseudostratified epitheliaSylvie Breton; Fiscal Year: 2010..objectives, and in which ionic and nitric oxide fluxes will be measured in real time using selective microelectrodes. We will focus on two epithelia, the epididymis, which is at the core of our research program, and the ..
- 3-Dimensional modeling of basal cell function in pseudostratified epitheliaSylvie Breton; Fiscal Year: 2009..objectives, and in which ionic and nitric oxide fluxes will be measured in real time using selective microelectrodes. We will focus on two epithelia, the epididymis, which is at the core of our research program, and the ..
- Functional Invitro CNS and PNS Myelination ModelStephen Lambert; Fiscal Year: 2010..will be provided not only by myotube contraction, but also by stimulating and recording microelectrodes flanking the myelination compartment, that allow for direct measurements of conduction velocity changes ..
- SPECTRAL AND METABOLIC BASIS OF VISUAL RESPONSESM Cornwall; Fiscal Year: 1993..responses of these cells under background and bleach-adapted conditions will be obtained using suction microelectrodes. Changes in visual pigment content will be measured using microspectrophotometry...
- ELECTROANALYSIS OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND MODULATORSRobert Wightman; Fiscal Year: 2005..Adsorption of neurotransmitters on carbon-fiber microelectrodes contributes to the sensitivity of these probes in vivo, but it also decreases response time...
- ELECTROANALYSIS OF NEUROTRANSMITTERS AND MODULATORSROBERT MARK WIGHTMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Both are electroactive and amenable to detection with fast-scan cyclic voltammetry at carbon-fiber microelectrodes. Three specific aims focus on new technology (1, 3, and 5), to be evaluated in anesthetized rats, and two ..
- MICROELECTRODE ARRAYS FOR DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION AND RECDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2002..The proposal addresses the RFA's invitation to "develop microelectrodes that can simultaneously stimulate and record and perform microdialysis or infuse chemicals"...
- CFTR and acid-base transporters of intestinal epitheliaLane Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2009..cells in intact villi using BCECF ratio microfluorimetry to measure intracellular pH (pHi), single-barreled microelectrodes to measure apical membrane potential, and laser capture dissection coupled with quantitative real-time PCR ..
- CFTR and acid-base transporters of intestinal epitheliaLane Clarke; Fiscal Year: 2007..cells in intact villi using BCECF ratio microfluorimetry to measure intracellular pH (pHi), single-barreled microelectrodes to measure apical membrane potential, and laser capture dissection coupled with quantitative real-time PCR ..
- DIFFUSION OF SUBSTANCES THROUGH THE BRAINCharles Nicholson; Fiscal Year: 1999..The subsequent distribution of the molecules will be measured using ion-selective microelectrodes (for tetramethylammonium and potassium), fast scan cyclic voltammetry (for dopamine) and integrative optical ..
- Arrays for deep brain microstimulation and recordingDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2007..An array of stimulating microelectrodes distributed through the target nucleus would permit precise control of the spatial distribution of the ..
- Arrays for deep brain microstimulation and recordingDouglas McCreery; Fiscal Year: 2009..An array of stimulating microelectrodes distributed through the target nucleus would permit precise control of the spatial distribution of the ..
- HEAT AND RADIATION EFFECTS ON TUMOR MICROCIRCULATIONMark Dewhirst; Fiscal Year: 2000..Intravital microscopy and O2 microelectrodes will be used to measure temporal changes in blood flow and perivascular 02 levels and if temporal variations ..
- Carbon Nanotube Fibers as Implantable Neural ElectrodesDouglas Adamson; Fiscal Year: 2007..nervous system diseases require implantation of electrically conductive interfaces between neural tissues and microelectrodes. Currently available metal/silicon-based devices are not stable over the long term, mostly due to gliosis and ..
- INNER EAR FLUID INTERACTIONSALEC SALT; Fiscal Year: 1993..between compartments has been monitored using a variety of techniques which involve ion-selective microelectrodes. Such electrodes can be sealed into the cochlea, permitting measurements to be made while avoiding artifacts ..
- Carbon Nanotube Fibers as Implantable Neural ElectrodesDouglas Adamson; Fiscal Year: 2009..nervous system diseases require implantation of electrically conductive interfaces between neural tissues and microelectrodes. Currently available metal/silicon-based devices are not stable over the long term, mostly due to gliosis and ..
- UNIT CONTROL OF MUSCLE BLOOD FLOWSTEVEN SEGAL; Fiscal Year: 2000..Stimulation with microelectrodes will be used to test the hypothesis that (iii) muscle fiber contraction results in perfusion of MVUs along ..
- CARDIAC CELL VOLUME REGULATION IN CARDIOPLEGIACLIVE BAUMGARTEN; Fiscal Year: 1993..of cell volume and determinants of the intracellular ion activities of K+, Na+, Cl- and H+ with ion-selective microelectrodes (ISE) in both isolated ventricular myocytes and papillary muscles from adult and neonatal rabbit hearts...
- REFLEX PATHWAYS IN THE CONTROL OF INTESTINAL MOTILITYTerence Smith; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will use intracellular microelectrodes and tension recordings to determine the basic responses of the longitudinal and circular muscle layers to ..