Summary: Narrow pieces of material impregnated or covered with a substance used to produce a chemical reaction. The strips are used in detecting, measuring, producing, etc., other substances. (From Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications181 found, 100 shown here
- A protocol for the urine dipstick/pad methodSusan Midthun
University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Department of Pathology, Clinical Laboratory Sciences Program, Grand Forks, USA
J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs 33:396-400. 2006..This article also proposes a protocol for a urine dipstick pressed into an incontinence pad as an alternative to dipstick analysis of a clean-catch or catheterized urine specimen...
- Evaluation of the reproducibility and accuracy of pH-determining devices used to measure urine pH in dogsKristen Y Johnson
Minnesota Urolith Center, Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 230:364-9. 2007..To evaluate the reproducibility and accuracy of 4 portable pH meters, a reagent strip, and pH paper for measuring urine pH in dogs...
- Diagnostic accuracy of a urine lipoarabinomannan strip-test for TB detection in HIV-infected hospitalised patientsJonathan G Peter
Division of Pulmonology and UCT Lung Institute, Dept of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Eur Respir J 40:1211-20. 2012..The grade 2, but not the manufacturer-recommended grade 1 cut-off point, offered superior rule-in utility and inter-reader reliability. Larger studies to evaluate cut-off points and diagnostic accuracy are urgently required...
- Colloidal gold nanoparticle probe-based immunochromatographic assay for the rapid detection of chromium ions in water and serum samplesXi Liu
Guangdong Province Key Laboratory of Molecular Immunology and Antibody Engineering, Antibody Engineering Center of Jinan University, Guangzhou, PR China
Anal Chim Acta 745:99-105. 2012..Because of its low cost and short testing time (within 5 min), the test strip is especially suitable for on-site large-scale screening of Cr-polluted water samples, biomonitoring of Cr exposure, and many other field applications...
- One-step simultaneous immunochromatographic strip test for multianalysis of ochratoxin a and zearalenoneWon Bo Shim
Division of Applied Life Science Brain Korea 21 Program, Graduate School of Gyeongsang National University, Chinju, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 19:83-92. 2009....
- Accuracy of the spot urinary microalbumin:creatinine ratio and visual dipsticks in hypertensive pregnant womenRajesh Gangaram
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of KwaZulu Natal, Private Bag 7, Congella 4013, South Africa
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 144:146-8. 2009....
- Diagnostic accuracy of urinary spot protein:creatinine ratio for proteinuria in hypertensive pregnant women: systematic reviewAnne Marie Côté
BC Women s Hospital and Health Centre, Vancouver, BC, Canada
BMJ 336:1003-6. 2008..To review the spot protein:creatinine ratio and albumin:creatinine ratio as diagnostic tests for significant proteinuria in hypertensive pregnant women...
- Urinary schistosomiasis-associated morbidity in schoolchildren detected with urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio (UACR) reagent stripsJ Russell Stothard
Wolfson Wellcome Biomedical Laboratories, Department of Zoology, Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD, UK
J Pediatr Urol 5:287-91. 2009To evaluate urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio (UACR) reagent strips for detection of urinary tract pathology (UTP) associated with urinary schistosomiasis in schoolchildren from Zanzibar.
- A comparison of diagnostic efficacies among different reagent strips and automated cell count in spontaneous bacterial peritonitisRungsun Rerknimitr
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:946-50. 2010..Recently, many reports on the efficacies of reagent strips and a few reports of automated cell count are available but there has been no direct comparison study.
- Leukocyte esterase reagent strips for the rapid diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infectionNathan G Wetters
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
J Arthroplasty 27:8-11. 2012..Leukocyte esterase reagent strips represent a rapid, inexpensive, and sensitive tool for the diagnosis of PJI...
- Alarmingly poor performance in Chlamydia trachomatis point-of-care testingLaura van Dommelen
Department of Medical Microbiology, Maastricht Infection Centre, Maastricht University Medical Centre, School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Sex Transm Infect 86:355-9. 2010..To further shorten time delay until diagnosis has been made, in order to prevent CT spread, the use of point-of-care (POC) tests may be the way forward...
- Diagnostic value of two reagent strips (Multistix 8 SG and Combur 2 LN) in cirrhotic patients with spontaneous bacterial peritonitis and symptomatic bacterascitesBernard Campillo
Service de Rééducation Digestive, Hopital Albert Chenevier, Creteil
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 30:446-52. 2006..We have tested two reagent strips, Multistix 8 SG and Combur 2 LN for bedside diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis and symptomatic ..
- Rapid diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis by use of reagent stripsJose Castellote
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo y Servicio de Hematología, Hospital Universitario de Bellvitge, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 37:893-6. 2003We studied the use of reagent strips for diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP) in cirrhotic patients with ascites...
- Rapid test strips for analysis of mycotoxins in food and feedRudolf Krska
Christian Doppler Laboratory for Mycotoxin Research, Center for Analytical Chemistry, Department for Agrobiotechnology IFA Tulln, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Tulln, Vienna, Austria
Anal Bioanal Chem 393:67-71. 2009..Different test formats are discussed, and challenges in the development of lateral-flow devices for on-site determination of mycotoxins, with requirements such as being robust, fast, and cost-effective, are briefly elucidated...
- A simple and rapid chromatographic strip test for detection of antibody to porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virusY S Lyoo
Department of Veterinary Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea
J Vet Diagn Invest 17:469-73. 2005..7% sensitivity for clinical serum samples. For sera that did not contain antibodies to PRRSV, the specificity was found to be 98.5% and 99.2% for clinical and experimental serum samples, respectively...
- Screening tests for urinary tract infection in children: A meta-analysisM H Gorelick
Division of Emergency Medicine, A I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware 19899, USA
Pediatrics 104:e54. 1999..To review systematically and to summarize the existing literature regarding performance of rapid diagnostic tests for urinary tract infection (UTI) in children...
- Diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis in cirrhotic patients by use of two reagent stripsThierry Thevenot
Service d Hepatogastroenterologie, Hôpital de Cambrai, France
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:579-83. 2004..The improved survival might be explained by a more rapid diagnosis and treatment. The aim of our study was to assess the utility of two reagent strips, the Multistix test and the Combur(2) test LN, for the rapid diagnosis of SBP.
- Development of a chromatographic strip assay for detection of porcine antibodies to 3ABC non-structural protein of foot-and-mouth disease virus serotype OTsu Han Chen
Division of Hog Cholera Research, Animal Health Research Institute 376 Chung Cheng Road, Tamsui, Taipei County 25158, Taiwan
J Vet Med Sci 71:703-8. 2009..Given its advantages of instant testing and quantitative measurement, this assay has potential as a useful tool for rapid on-farm diagnosis of foot-and-mouth disease...
- Instant diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis using leukocyte esterase reagent strips: Nephur-Test vs. MultistixSGThierry Sapey
Service Hepatogastroenterologie, Centre Hospitalier General de Chateauroux, France
Liver Int 25:343-8. 2005..Leukocyte esterase reagent strips can rapidly detect leukocytes in physiological fluids...
- [Diagnosis of spontaneous ascites infection in patients with cirrhosis: reagent strips]B Wisniewski
Service d Hepatogastroenterologie, Centre Hospitalier Sud Francilien, quartier du Canal Courcouronnes, 91014 Evry Cedex
Presse Med 34:997-1000. 2005....
- Use of reagent strips for the rapid diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial empyemaJose Castellote
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, IDIBELL Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:278-81. 2005To assess the utility of reagent strips for rapid diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial empyema in cirrhotic patients with hepatic hydrothorax.
- Bacteriuria detection with a urine dipstick applied to incontinence pads of nursing home residentsSusan J Midthun
University of North Dakota College of Nursing, USA
Geriatr Nurs 24:206-9. 2003..Results of this study indicate the new dipstick/pad method may assist in the assessment of bacteriuria in incontinent nursing home residents...
- Comparison of a new gold-immunochromatographic assay for the detection of antibodies against avian influenza virus with hemagglutination inhibition and agar gel immunodiffusion assaysDapeng Peng
College of Veterinary Medicine, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, China
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 117:17-25. 2007..The gold-immunochromatographic test strip provides a unique tool for the on-site surveillance and diagnosis of Avian Influenza...
- Role of dipstick testing in the evaluation of urinary tract infection in nursing home residentsManisha Juthani-Mehta
Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:889-91. 2007..Nursing home dipstick testing effectively excluded the possibility of UTI...
- Evaluation of reagent strips for ascitic fluid leukocyte determination: is it a possible alternative for spontaneous bacterial peritonitis rapid diagnosis?Tarsila C R Ribeiro
Sao Paulo Medical School, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 11:70-4. 2007..Diagnostic accuracy was 95%. We concluded that the use of a urine reagent dipstick (Multistix 10SG) could be considered a quick, easy and cheap method for ascitic fluid cellularity determination in SBP diagnosis...
- The performance of haematuria reagent strips for the rapid mapping of urinary schistosomiasis: field experience from Southern SudanEmily Robinson
Malaria Consortium Africa Regional Office, Kampala, Uganda
Trop Med Int Health 14:1484-7. 2009..The reagent strips were highly sensitive (97.8%) but only moderately specific (58.8%)...
- Development of an immunoassay-based lateral flow dipstick for the rapid detection of aflatoxin B1 in pig feedBarbara S Delmulle
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Laboratory of Food Analysis, Ghent University, Harelbekestraat 72, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
J Agric Food Chem 53:3364-8. 2005..The visual detection limit for aflatoxin B(1) is 5 microg/kg. The major advantages of this one-step striptest are that results can be obtained within 10 min and that all reagents are immobilized on the lateral flow dipstick...
- What do the needles, syringes, lancets and reagent strips of diabetic patients become in the absence of a common attitude? About 1070 questionnaires in diabetic clinicsB Bouhanick
Department of Adult Medicine, Service de Medecine B, Angers, France
Diabetes Metab 26:288-93. 2000..6%), or both at home and at work (26.6%). At home: needles, syringes, lancets and reagent strips were thrown directly into the bin in 46.9%, 49.9%, 52.2% and 67...
- The validity of the uriscreen test for early detection of urinary tract infection in childrenY Waisman
Unit of Emergency Medicine, Schneider Children s Medical Center of Israel, Petah Tiqva, and Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Pediatrics 104:e41. 1999..STUDY DESIGN. Cross-sectional study...
- Evaluation of reagent strips in detecting asymptomatic bacteriuria in early pregnancy: prospective case seriesD G Tincello
Department of Urogynaecology, Liverpool Women's Hospital
BMJ 316:435-7. 1998..MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Sensitivity, specificity, and positive and negative predictive values of the reagent strips in diagnosing asymptomatic bacteriuria (defined as 10(5) colony forming units/ml urine)...
- [Gram stain and dipstick as diagnostic methods for urinary tract infection in febrile infants]- Benito Fernández J
Sección de Urgencias de Pediatría, Departamento de Pediatría Hospital de Cruces Bilbao
An Esp Pediatr 53:561-6. 2000..To compare urinary gram staining and dipstick for the detection of urinary tract infection (UTI)in febrile infants...
- Nitrite and leukocyte dipstick testing for urinary tract infection in individuals with spinal cord injuryJeanne M Hoffman
University of Washington, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195 6490, USA
J Spinal Cord Med 27:128-32. 2004....
- Evaluation the Clinitek status automated dipstick analysis device for semiquantitative testing of canine urineN Bauer
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Frankfurterstrasse 129, 35392 Giessen, Germany
Res Vet Sci 85:467-72. 2008..90) and creatinine measurements moderately (rho=0.76). Due to automated data transmission to the laboratory information system, the Clinitek status is of advantage in veterinary laboratories/clinics...
- In-out catheterization of young children with suspected urinary tract infection: a retrospective journal studyBritt Mari Gilljam
Department of Pediatrics, Halmstad Hospital, Halmstad, Sweden
Pediatr Nurs 34:241-5. 2008..This examination of medical records showed that in-out catheterization is a reliable method to use to confirm UTIs in children 0 to 24 months...
- The presence of microscopic hematuria detected by urine dipstick test in the evaluation of patients with renal colicA Argyropoulos
Urology Clinic, Athens General Hospital G Gennimatas, Athens, Greece
Urol Res 32:294-7. 2004..A microscopic analysis may be useful when the UDT is negative or not clear enough, to verify the results...
- Validation study: clarity multistrip urocheckKarla Hartgrove
Norton Suburban Hospital, Louisville, KY, USA
Clin Lab Sci 21:158-61. 2008..To test the interchangeability of a previously untested urine reagent strip, Clarity (RAC Medical), with the gold standard, Multistix (Bayer)...
- Can urine dipstick testing for urinary tract infection at point of care reduce laboratory workload?H D Patel
Department of Clinical Microbiology, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Leicester LE1 5WW, UK
J Clin Pathol 58:951-4. 2005....
- The accuracy of urine dipsticks as a screening test for proteinuria in hypertensive disorders of pregnancyR Gangaram
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology and MRC UN Pregnancy Hypertension Research Unit, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
Hypertens Pregnancy 24:117-23. 2005....
- UrinalysisLesley A Wilson
Southampton City Primary Care Trust, Southampton
Nurs Stand 19:51-4. 2005..Urine analysis is an essential component of patient assessment, which is used for screening, diagnosis and planning care. This article discusses specimen collection and reagent strip testing...
- Predicting bacteriuria in urogynecology patientsDavid D Rahn
Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 192:1376-8. 2005..This study was undertaken to determine whether reagent strip testing can predict bacteriuria in urogynecology patients...
- Near-patient testing for infection using urinalysis and immuno-chromatography stripsMichael J Pugia
Near Patient Testing Segment, Diagnostic Business Group, Bayer HealthCare, Elkhart, Indiana, USA
Clin Chem Lab Med 42:340-6. 2004..The IC strip test could reduce the necessity of a urine culture in patients with suspected infections and provide rapid point-of-care testing...
- Rapid tests and urine sampling techniques for the diagnosis of urinary tract infection (UTI) in children under five years: a systematic reviewPenny Whiting
MRC Health Services Research Collaboration, University of Bristol, England, UK
BMC Pediatr 5:4. 2005..Prompt diagnosis and treatment is important to reduce the risk of renal scarring. Rapid, cost-effective, methods of UTI diagnosis are required as an alternative to culture...
- [Modelling sensitivity, specificity and predictive values of hematuria testing using reagent sticks in the diagnosis of Schistosoma haematobium infection]J E Etard
Institut de recherche et de développement IRD, BP 1386 Dakar, Senegal
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 97:24-8. 2004..out between 1989 and 1991 in a rice-growing area located in Mali, West Africa, haematuria was detected by reagent strips among 2,873 six-year-old and more subjects randomly chosen from 14 villages...
- [Significance of urine dipstick test for occult blood in patients with diabetes mellitus]Noriko Ohisa
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Tohoku University Hospital, Japan
Nihon Jinzo Gakkai Shi 48:664-8. 2006..Hematuria is the usual urinary finding in patients with diabetic nephropathy. In this study, prevalence and significance of microhematuria in patients with diabetes mellitus were investigated...
- Optimal bedside urinalysis for the detection of proteinuria in hypertensive pregnancy: a study of diagnostic accuracyJason J S Waugh
Reproductive Science Section, Department of Cancer Studies and Molecular Medicine, University of Leicester, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Infirmary Square, Leicester LEI SWW, UK
BJOG 112:412-7. 2005..To compare semi-quantitative visual and automated methods of urine testing with fully quantitative point of care urinalysis for the detection of significant proteinuria (0.3 g/24 hours) in pregnancy complicated by hypertension...
- Performance of the urine leukocyte esterase and nitrite dipstick test for the diagnosis of acute prostatitisManuel Etienne
Clin Infect Dis 46:951-3; author reply 953. 2008
- Utility of urine reagent strip in screening women with incontinence for urinary tract infectionGunhilde M Buchsbaum
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rochester, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 668, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 15:391-3; discussion 393. 2004The aim of this study was to determine the utility of urine reagent strips in screening women with urinary incontinence for urinary tract infections. Subjects were all women presenting with urinary incontinence...
- Sensitivity and specificity of urinary nitrite for UTIsGary N Fox
Am Fam Physician 72:2180; author reply 2180, 2182. 2005
- Usefulness of urine strip test in the rapid diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitisDo Young Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Gastroenterology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Liver Int 25:1197-201. 2005..The purpose of this study was to assess the usefulness of two different reagent strips, the UriSCAN and the Multistix10SG, for the rapid bedside diagnosis of SBP.
- Routine prenatal urine dipstick testingWilliam A Alto
J Reprod Med 52:984. 2007
- Oversensitive dipsticks? A minimalist take on urinalysis for microscopic haematuriaP A Andrews
Int J Clin Pract 62:362-3. 2008
- Diagnostic accuracy of the Multistix 8 SG reagent strip in diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitisJean Baptiste Nousbaum
Services d Hépato Gastroentérologie de, Brest, U773, Centre de Recherche Biomedicale Bichat Beaujon CRB3, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France
Hepatology 45:1275-81. 2007..that the diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis (SBP) can be rapidly obtained using leukocyte esterase reagent strips. However, published studies were restricted to one or two centers, and the number of patients with SBP was ..
- Urine specific gravity and other urinary indices: inaccurate tests for dehydrationMichael J Steiner
Department of Pediatrics, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 23:298-303. 2007..The study was designed to evaluate the accuracy of urinary indices as diagnostic tests to identify acute dehydration...
- Diagnostic accuracy study of urine dipstick in relation to 24-hour measurement as a screening tool for proteinuria in lupus nephritisMark J Siedner
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY, USA
J Rheumatol 35:84-90. 2008..We examined the validity of qualitative urine dipstick versus quantitative 24-hour measurement to accurately detect proteinuria, including low-level proteinuria...
- [Evaluation of ICT malaria immunochromatographic Binax NOW ICT P.f/P.v test for rapid diagnosis of malaria in a Colombian endemic area]Adriana Pabon
Grupo de Malaria, Sede de Investigación Universitaria, Universidad de Antioquia, Calle 62 No 52 59, Medellin, Colombia
Biomedica 27:225-35. 2007..Furthermore, the tests must be easy to perform and understand by local people in such a way that a suitable and prompt antimalarial treatment is guaranteed...
- Evaluation of the nitrite and leukocyte esterase activity tests for the diagnosis of acute symptomatic urinary tract infection in menJeanne Juliette Koeijers
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 45:894-6. 2007..The positive predictive value of a positive nitrite test result was 96%. Addition of results of the leukocyte esterase test did not improve the diagnostic accuracy of the nitrite test...
- Evaluation of the DIRAMIC system for detection of urinary tract infections and for Escherichia coli identificationFernando Travieso Ruiz
Diagnostic Division, National Center for Scientific Research, Havana, Cuba
Rev Latinoam Microbiol 46:67-71. 2004..Furthermore, by using DETID-Ec culture medium the time and the number of biochemical tests necessary for the E. coli identification are lowered...
- Evaluation of rapid urine screening tests to detect asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnancyBirgul Kacmaz
Department of Central Microbiolgy, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Besevler, Ankara, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 59:261-3. 2006..Our findings support previous conclusions that quantitative urine cultures are required to rule out asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnant women...
- Usefulness of urine dipstick in an urogynecologic populationFareesa Raza-Khan
Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Washington University, 4911 Barnes Jewish Hospital Plaza, Campus Box 8064, St Louis, MO 63110 1094, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 17:489-91. 2006..Urine dipstick alone is insufficient for diagnosing urinary tract infection in patients with pelvic floor disorders...
- Best evidence topic report. Urine dipsticks in screening for diabetes mellitusOoi Yau Wei
Singapore Armed Force
Emerg Med J 23:138. 2006
- Using reagent strips for rapid diagnosis of peritonitis in peritoneal dialysis patientsSeong Joo Park
Dialysis Unit, Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Dongguk University Medical Center, Kyongju, Korea
Adv Perit Dial 21:69-71. 2005..Several attempts to use leukocyte esterase reagent strips to diagnose peritonitis have been described...
- Are true-negative nitrite results affected by a two-hour delay in dipstick/pad analysis of urine in incontinence pads?Susan Midthun
University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences Office of Continuing Medical Education and Outreach, USA
J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs 33:292-5. 2006..To determine if true-negative nitrite results of a urine dipstick pressed into an incontinence pad (dipstick/pad method) are affected by a 2-hour delay in analysis...
- Prevalence of asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnant women in Sharjah, United Arab EmiratesA A Abdullah
College of Health Sciences, University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
East Mediterr Health J 11:1045-52. 2005..Antibiotic sensitivity tests carried out on the positive culture samples showed high sensitivity to gentamicin, amoxicillin-clavulanic acid and fosfomycin...
- Evaluation of a commercial in-house test kit for the semi-quantitative assessment of microalbuminuria in catsEllie J Mardell
Nantwich Veterinary Group, Crewe Road End, Nantwich, Cheshire CW5 2SF, UK
J Feline Med Surg 8:269-78. 2006..Furthermore, some repeatability problems were demonstrated with the semi-quantitative MA test. These findings demonstrate that the semi-quantitative MA test should not be relied on as the sole determinant of proteinuria...
- Developing clinical rules to predict urinary tract infection in primary care settings: sensitivity and specificity of near patient tests (dipsticks) and clinical scoresPaul Little
Community Clinical Sciences Division, Southampton University, UK
Br J Gen Pract 56:606-12. 2006..Systematic reviews have not documented any adequately powered studies in primary care that assess independent predictors of laboratory diagnosis...
- Comparison of a urine chemistry analyser and microscopy, culture and sensitivity results to detect the presence of urinary tract infections in an elective orthopaedic populationSue Clement
Day Procedure Unit, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Australia
Contemp Nurse 17:89-94. 2004..Given the enormous cost in routine screening of these patients and the impact on nursing resources, use of this analyser could have potential nursing resource and financial benefits...
- Towards evidence based emergency medicine: best BETs from the Manchester Royal Infirmary. Accuracy of negative dipstick urine analysis in ruling out urinary tract infection in adultsNick Ohly
Department of Emergency Medicine, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
Emerg Med J 20:362-3. 2003..The author, date and country of publication, patient group studied, study type, relevant outcomes, results and study weaknesses of these best papers are tabulated. A clinical bottom line is stated...
- Detection of canine microalbuminuria using semiquantitative test strips designed for use with human urineBarrak M Pressler
College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Vet Clin Pathol 31:56-60. 2002..An ELISA that quantifies canine urine albumin concentration has been developed, but semiquantitative test strips for use in the dog are not available...
- The significance of trace proteinuriaR Sam
Division of Nephrology, Cook County Hospital, University of Illinois at Chicago and VAMC, West Side Division, Chicago, Ill 60612, USA
Am J Nephrol 23:438-41. 2003..The clinical significance of a trace protein reading on urinalysis is unclear, and such a result is often ignored by the clinician...
- A preliminary evaluation of the interaction between urine specific gravity and leukocyte esterase results using Bayer Multistix and the Clinitek 500Martha E Lyon
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin Biochem 36:579-81. 2003..To determine the sensitivity of the leukocyte esterase (LE) pad to predict microscopically quantified white blood cells in urine sediment and to assess the interaction of urine specific gravity (SG) on leukocyte esterase sensitivity...
- A new immunological test strip device for the rapid, qualitative detection of faecal occult bloodJ Trojan
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 40:921-4. 2002....
- Dipstick urinalysis and the accuracy of the clinical diagnosis of urinary tract infectionR V Sultana
Department of Emergency Medicine, The Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Emerg Med 20:13-9. 2001..001). We conclude that DU in combination with clinical assessment is a superior method for diagnosing UTI than clinical assessment alone...
- Feasibility of using paper impregnated with urine instead of liquid urine for assessing ovarian activitySudharshani Wasalathanthri
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Colombo
Ceylon Med J 48:4-6. 2003....
- [Value of reagent strips in screening urinary infection in children]Lamia Thabet
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie, Hopital d Enfants de Tunis
Tunis Med 80:338-40. 2002..2%. These results allowed the use of rapid test in the screening of urinary tract infection in children. However, if clinical symptoms are present, the culture of urine must be associated to the rapid test...
- Blood and urinary measures of hydration status during progressive acute dehydrationL A Popowski
Department of Exercise Science, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:747-53. 2001..Usg and Uosm are also sensitive to changes in hydration status but lag behind during periods of rapid body fluid turnover and therefore correlate only moderately with Posm during acute dehydration...
- What is the role of urine dipstick testing in the management of UTI?Sani Hussein Aliyu
Br J Gen Pract 52:414-5. 2002
- [Time to stop testing adults for microhematuria]Per Uno Malmstrom
Urologkliniken, Akademiska sjukhuset, Uppsala
Lakartidningen 100:3598-9. 2003..Better alternatives are presently available, and in the near future we will likely see urine tests for specific clinical conditions...
- [Use of dipsticks and microscope in the diagnosis of hematuria in general practice]Eva Dreisler
Organkirurgisk afdeling, urologisk sektion, Amtssygehuset Roskilde
Ugeskr Laeger 164:3537-41. 2002..Haematuria is a serious symptom and is often detected by dipstick analysis. We examined the use of dipsticks in general practice...
- Detection of low-molecular-weight proteins in urine by dipsticksMichael Pugia
Diagnostic Business Group, Bayer Corporation, Elkhart, IN, USA
Clin Chim Acta 326:177-83. 2002..is common practice. A deficiency with currently available dipsticks is their lack of chemical sensitivity and underestimation of low-molecular-weight proteins such as light chains...
- [The second biennial of the External Quality Evaluation Program in Urinalysis (PEECU)]Alvar Loria
Unidad de Epidemiologia Clinica, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran Vasco de Quiroga 15, Tlalpan, 14000 Mexico, D F
Rev Invest Clin 54:226-30. 2002..To characterize the participation of clinical laboratories in the second biennial of an external quality assurance scheme for urinalysis in Mexico...
- Proteinuria dipstick test: is it time to change?Massimo Gai
Kidney Int 64:2326-7; author reply 2327. 2003
- The impact of a school health programme on the prevalence and morbidity of urinary schistosomiasis in Mwera Division, Pangani District, TanzaniaP Magnussen
Danish Bilharziasis Laboratory, Charlottenlund, Denmark
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 95:58-64. 2001..Macro- and microscopic haematuria diagnosed visually and with urine reagent strips was used as an indirect indicator of Schistosoma haematobium infection...
- Integrated mapping of neglected tropical diseases: epidemiological findings and control implications for northern Bahr-el-Ghazal State, Southern SudanHugh J W Sturrock
Malaria Consortium, Juba, Southern Sudan
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e537. 2009..Our aim was to establish which communities require mass drug administration (MDA) with preventive chemotherapy (PCT), rather than to provide precise estimates of infection prevalence...
- Gastrointestinal temperature increases and hypohydration exists after collegiate men's ice hockey participationBenson C Batchelder
Department of Athletics, Sacred Heart University, Fairfield, Connecticut, USA
J Strength Cond Res 24:68-73. 2010..Urine reagent strips measured USG. Calibrated CorTemp (HQ, Inc...
- [Schistosomiasis endemic in Burkina Faso]J N Poda
Institut de recherche en sciences de la sante, 03 BP 7047, Ouagadougou 03, Burkina Faso
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 97:47-52. 2004..It is about Kato-Kartz and MIF for the intestinal schistosomiasis, centrifugation, filtration, serology reagent strips, macroscopy of urines and echography of the urinary system for the urinary schistosomiasis...
- The clinical spectrum of acute renal infarctionZe ev Korzets
Department of Nephrology, Meir Hospital, Kfar Saba, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:781-4. 2002..Acute renal infarction is an oft-missed diagnosis. As a result, its true incidence, although presumed to be low, is actually unknown. Surprisingly, the medical literature on the subject, other than anecdotal case reports, is scarce...
- Bedside leucocyte esterase reagent strips with spectrophotometric analysis to rapidly exclude spontaneous bacterial peritonitis: a pilot studyDaniel R Gaya
Department of Gastroenterology, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:289-95. 2007..An exciting new development in the diagnosis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis is the use of bedside reagent strips; yet, concerns regarding the inherent subjectivity of result reading have prevented the widespread adoption of ..
- Age and gender effects in self-reported urinary schistosomiasis in TanzaniaArchie C A Clements
Division of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, QLD, Australia
Trop Med Int Health 13:713-21. 2008....
- Screening of Tanzanian women of childbearing age for urinary schistosomiasis: validity of urine reagent strip readings and self-reported symptomsG Poggensee
Institut fur Tropenmedizin, Humboldt Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Bull World Health Organ 78:542-8. 2000..Screening of women of childbearing age for urinary schistosomiasis using urine reagent strips can be biased in two directions. The prevalence of S...
- Measurement of urine relative density using refractometer and reagent stripsR M Dorizzi
Laboratorio Analisi Chimico Cliniche ed Ematologiche, Azienda Ospedaliera di Verona, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 36:925-8. 1998....
- A comparison of urinary tract pathology and morbidity in adult populations from endemic and non-endemic zones for urinary schistosomiasis on Unguja Island, ZanzibarBeatrice Lyons
School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
BMC Infect Dis 9:189. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess the burden of urinary tract pathology and morbidity due to schistosomiasis in Zanzibar and identify reliable clinical predictors of schistosomiasis associated renal disease...
- Vasoactive drugs enhance pancreatic islet blood flow, augment insulin secretion and improve glucose tolerance in female ratsZhen Huang
Department of Internal Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm South Hospital, SE 118 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Clin Sci (Lond) 112:69-76. 2007..Blood glucose concentrations were measured with test reagent strips and serum insulin concentrations were measured by ELISA...
- Control of Schistosoma haematobium morbidity on Pemba Island: validity and efficiency of indirect screening testsN J Lwambo
Wellcome Trust Research Centre for Parasitic Infections, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, England
Bull World Health Organ 75:247-52. 1997..compared (history of haematuria, visual haematuria, and microhaematuria at the 1+ and 2+ positivity limit by reagent strips) in terms of their diagnostic performance under conditions of progressive decrease in prevalence of infection, ..
- A study of female urinary tract infection caused by urodynamic investigationShing Kai Yip
Departments of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:1234-40. 2004..The purpose of this study was to assess the prevalence of female urinary tract infection before and after urodynamic investigation and to identify the risk factors for urinary tract infection after urodynamic investigation...
- Isolation and analysis of nephritic-producing immune complexes in Plasmodium berghei-infected miceE J Toran
Department of Biology, Howard University, Washington, DC 20059, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 87:693-9. 1995..These animals were tested for urinary protein and the presence of circulating immune complexes using reagent strips and a polyethylene glycol (PEG) precipitation assay...
- Urinary schistosomiasis in southern Ghana: 1. Prevalence and morbidity assessment in three (defined) rural areas drained by the Densu riverM E Aryeetey
Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research, University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana
Parasitol Int 49:155-63. 2000..Indirect morbidity was determined as the presence of microhaematuria and proteinuria using reagent strips, and macrohaematuria was recorded with the naked eye. Out of the study population of 3912 subjects, 2562 (65...
- Achieving glycemic control in young children with type 1 diabetes: approaches, pitfalls and new technologiesPhilip A Gruppuso
Brown Medical School, Hasbro Children s Hospital, Providence, RI, USA
Med Health R I 86:107-11. 2003..Only twenty years ago blood glucose reagent strips were first coming into routine use...
- [Comparative study of 3 Schistosoma haematobium foci in Burkina Faso]J N Poda
Institut de Recherche en Sciences de la Santé IRSS, 03 BP 7047, Ouagadougou 03, Burkina Faso
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 94:25-8. 2001..Parasitological investigations by reagent strips and urine filtration conducted on school children indicated respective prevalence rates of 85% at Thion, 37...
- [Cost-effectiveness analysis of self-monitoring of blood glucose in type 2 diabetics]J L Clua Espuny
ABS Tortosa Est, Institut Catala de la Salut
Gac Sanit 14:442-8. 2000..Compare the cost-effectiveness of self-monitoring of blood glucose (MBG) with your non-use...
- Rapid diagnosis of meningitis using reagent stripsRamesh C Parmar
Department of Pediatrics, Seth G S Medical College and K E M Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
Indian J Med Sci 58:62-6. 2004..Unfortunately, even these facilities are not available in many areas. Reagent strips that measure glucose and protein in blood and urine can serve this task but have been used with varying ..
- Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis and bacterascites prevalence in asymptomatic cirrhotic outpatients undergoing large-volume paracentesisJose Castellote
Hepatology Section IDIBELL, Bellvitge University Hospital, L Hospitalet, Barcelona, Spain
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:256-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to investigate spontaneous bacterial peritonitis and bacterascites prevalence in a prospective cohort of cirrhotic outpatients following large-volume paracentesis with low risk of infection...
- RCT of SAMe in Alcoholic Liver DiseaseMichel Mendler; Fiscal Year: 2005..Histological progression of alcoholic liver disease, clinical and biochemical indices of liver disease, and quality of life assessment will also be examined. ..
- Moderating Social Norms Interventions: Field ExperimentMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research will help identify factors that might improve the efficacy of social norms interventions. ..
- RAPID ASSAY FOR BACTERIAL CONTAMINATION OF PLATELETSAndrew Levin; Fiscal Year: 2006..Current point-of-release test methods rely on pH or glucose reagent strips, which have been shown to be inaccurate and insensitive...
- Center for Integrative Biomedical ComputingChristopher Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..Current point-of-release test methods rely on pH or glucose reagent strips, which have been shown to be inaccurate and insensitive...
- RAPID ASSAY FOR BACTERIAL CONTAMINATION OF PLATELETSAndrew Levin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Current point-of-release test methods rely on pH or glucose reagent strips, which have been shown to be inaccurate and insensitive...
- DIABETES CONTROL AND COMPLICATIONS TRIALF Service; Fiscal Year: 1990..Patients will bring home blood glucose reagent strips at regular visits for verification of reading by the nurse practitioner.
- Pathobiology of Kidney Disease: Role of IronRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2008..Novelty and Health Relatedness of the Project: This proposal will provide translational data on the role of intravenous iron to progression of kidney disease in patients with CKD. ..
- Clinical Features in Nursing Home Residents with Suspected UTIManisha Juthani Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2008..This study will create an evidence-based definition of UTI. Future studies will identify residents with UTI in whom antibiotic therapy improves clinical outcome. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Renal Failure in Non-Myeloablative Stem Cell TransplantChirag Parikh; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Moderating Social Norms Interventions: Field ExperimentMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2008..This research will help identify factors that might improve the efficacy of social norms interventions. ..
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2008..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- UTI in Nursing Home Residents: Research Training and Clinical InvestigationManisha Juthani Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2008..The renowned mentors she has assembled and the environment at Yale University will allow for outstanding training and the successful completion of the proposed study. ..
- Short Course G-CSF as Immunomodulatory Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes ? A Pilot StudMichael Haller; Fiscal Year: 2008..This protocol will explore the potential of the drug Granulocyte Colony Stimulation Factor (GCSF) to stimulate immune cells that can potentially change the immune system and protect insulin producing cells from further damage. ..
- A Community-based ZT Program: Completing the Model of MLDA EnforcementMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research adapts and extends tried-and-tested drunk driving prevention strategies to the population of underage drinking drivers. ..
- Hypertension in Hemodialysis PatientsRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2009..We hypothesize that that volume control can improve BP and antihypertensive therapy can regress left ventricular hypertrophy in long-term hemodialysis patients. ..
- A Community-based ZT Program: Completing the Model of MLDA EnforcementMark B Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research adapts and extends tried-and-tested drunk driving prevention strategies to the population of underage drinking drivers. ..
- Moderating Social Norms Interventions: Field ExperimentMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research will help identify factors that might improve the efficacy of social norms interventions. ..
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2007..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- Hypertension in Hemodialysis PatientsRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Evaluation of such strategies will improve BP control in hemodialysis patients and, in the long-term, provide cardiovascular protection. ..
- Moderating Social Norms Interventions: Field ExperimentMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2007
- URINE LOSS AND PROLAPSE IN NUNS AND THEIR PAROUS SISTERSGUNHILDE BUCHSBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2001..A matched pair logistic regression will be performed to obtain an adjusted estimate of the impact of familiality and vaginal delivery in UT and POP, taking into account other risk factors. ..
- URINE LOSS AND PROLAPSE IN NUNS AND THEIR PAROUS SISTERSGUNHILDE BUCHSBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2002..A matched pair logistic regression will be performed to obtain an adjusted estimate of the impact of familiality and vaginal delivery in UT and POP, taking into account other risk factors. ..
- Hypertension in Hemodialysis PatientsRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2003..Evaluation of such strategies will improve BP control in hemodialysis patients and, in the long-term, provide cardiovascular protection. ..
- URINE LOSS AND PROLAPSE IN NUNS AND THEIR PAROUS SISTERSGUNHILDE BUCHSBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2003..A matched pair logistic regression will be performed to obtain an adjusted estimate of the impact of familiality and vaginal delivery in UT and POP, taking into account other risk factors. ..
- Pediatric Secondhand Smoke Exposure Reduction StrategiesDana Best; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is our hope to make the nation's pediatric clinicians the next soldiers in the war against tobacco use. ..
- Hypertension in Hemodialysis PatientsRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2004..Evaluation of such strategies will improve BP control in hemodialysis patients and, in the long-term, provide cardiovascular protection. ..
- Guardian Angel Alcohol Test: The devil is in the detailsMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2004..This research not only has practical implications by validating the GA test, but also theoretical implications regarding the role of BAC feedback in general. ..
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- Hypertension in Hemodialysis PatientsRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2005
- Motivation and Information: Altering Drinkers' BehaviorMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Participants will be re-sampled as they return from Mexican bars, at which time their actual BAC levels will be measured. ..
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- Guardian Angel Alcohol Test: The devil is in the detailsMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..This research not only has practical implications by validating the GA test, but also theoretical implications regarding the role of BAC feedback in general. ..
- Hypertension in Hemodialysis PatientsRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Gastric Tube Placement in Young ChildrenMarsha Ellett; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results from this study will increase the safety of using gastric tubes in young children. ..
- Pathobiology of Kidney Disease: Role of IronRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Novelty and Health Relatedness of the Project: This proposal will provide translational data on the role of intravenous iron to progression of kidney disease in patients with CKD. ..
- Hypertension in Hemodialysis PatientsRajiv Agarwal; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hypothesize that that volume control can improve BP and antihypertensive therapy can regress left ventricular hypertrophy in long-term hemodialysis patients. ..