Genomes and Genes
complement fixation tests
Summary: Serologic tests based on inactivation of complement by the antigen-antibody complex (stage 1). Binding of free complement can be visualized by addition of a second antigen-antibody system such as red cells and appropriate red cell antibody (hemolysin) requiring complement for its completion (stage 2). Failure of the red cells to lyse indicates that a specific antigen-antibody reaction has taken place in stage 1. If red cells lyse, free complement is present indicating no antigen-antibody reaction occurred in stage 1.
Publications196 found, 100 shown here
- The Dutch Brucella abortus monitoring programme for cattle: the impact of false-positive serological reactions and comparison of serological testsA Emmerzaal
Animal Health Service, Deventer, The Netherlands
Vet Q 24:40-6. 2002..It is concluded that the ELISA obtained from ID-Lelystad is the most suitable test to monitor the brucelosis free status of herds because it gives rise to fewer false-positive reactions than the SAT...
- Evaluation of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for serological surveillance of infection with Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae serotype 5 in pig herdsJoan Klausen
Danish Veterinary Institute, Bulowsvej 27, DK 1790 Copenhagen V, Denmark
Vet Microbiol 88:223-32. 2002..The herd specificities of both tests were estimated to 0.98, based on serum samples from 123 pig herds (10 samples from each herd) from the Danish specific pathogen-free (SPF) programme for pig production...
- Comparison of serological tests based on outer membrane or internal antigens for detecting antibodies to Brucella ovis in infected flocksSilvia M Estein
Departamento de Sanidad Animal y Medicina Preventiva, Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, UNICEN, Tandil, Argentina
J Vet Diagn Invest 14:407-11. 2002....
- The use of homologous antigen in the serological diagnosis of brucellosis caused by Brucella melitensisM Tittarelli
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell Abruzzo e del Molise G Caporale, Campo Boario, 64100 Teramo, Italy
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 52:75-81. 2005....
- A minor role of CD4+ T lymphocytes in the control of a primary infection of cattle with Mycoplasma mycoides subsp. mycoidesFlavio Sacchini
International Livestock Research Institute, Old Naivasha Road, PO Box 30709, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Vet Res 42:77. 2011..The slightly higher mortality in the depleted group suggests a minor role of CD4+ T cells in control of CBPP...
- Phage display-based identification and potential diagnostic application of novel antigens from Mycoplasma mycoides subsp. mycoides small colony typeShamoon Naseem
Stiftung Tierarztliche Hochschule Hannover, Institut fur Mikrobiologie, Zentrum für Infektionsmedizin, Hannover, Germany
Vet Microbiol 142:285-92. 2010..This prototype test resulted in 100% diagnostic sensitivity and specificity. In comparison, the complement fixation test and the competitive ELISA performed with a diagnostic sensitivity of 70% and 60%, respectively...
- Comparison between c-ELISA and CFT in detecting antibodies to Mycoplasma mycoides mycoides biotype SC in cattle affected by CBPP in BotswanaW Amanfu
National Veterinary Laboratory, P Bag 0035, Gaborone, Botswana
Ann N Y Acad Sci 916:364-9. 2000..The CFT was found to be slightly more sensitive than the c-ELISA, and this could be related to the stage of the disease. A long-term study comparing the progression of the disease with the two tests is, therefore, essential...
- Serodiagnosis and monitoring of contagious bovine pleuropneumonia (CBPP) with an indirect ELISA based on the specific lipoprotein LppQ of Mycoplasma mycoides subsp. mycoides SCUrs Bruderer
Bommeli Diagnostics, Stationsstr 12, CH Liebefeld, Bern, Switzerland
Vet Microbiol 84:195-205. 2002..The study revealed that the ELISA was both specific and sensitive for CBPP positive bovine sera and was shown also to be robust to harsh climatic conditions...
- Field validation of the use of RB51 as antigen in a complement fixation test to identify calves vaccinated with Brucella abortus RB51R Adone
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Laboratorio di Medicina Veterinaria, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 8:385-7. 2001....
- Comparison of complement fixation test, immunoblotting, indirect ELISA, and competitive ELISA for detecting antibodies to Mycoplasma mycoides subspecies mycoides small colony (SC) in naturally infected cattle from the 1995 outbreak in BotswanaC Marobela-Raborokgwe
National Veterinary Laboratory, Private Bag 0035, Gaborone, Botswana
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 70:21-7. 2003..It became clearly evident from this comparative study that no single serological test was capable of detecting all animals affected by CBPP under natural field conditions of infection...
- Allpahuayo virus: a newly recognized arenavirus (arenaviridae) from arboreal rice rats (oecomys bicolor and oecomys paricola) in northeastern peruA C Moncayo
Center for Tropical Diseases, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, 77555 0609, USA
Virology 284:277-86. 2001..A predicted stable single hairpin secondary structure was identified in the intergenic region between GPC and NP. Details of the genetic organization of Allpahuayo virus are discussed...
- A seroprevalence study of camel brucellosis in three camel-rearing regions of EthiopiaH Teshome
Addis Ababa University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Debre Zeit, Ethiopia
Trop Anim Health Prod 35:381-90. 2003..There was no significant difference in seroprevalence between the sexes (p > 0.05). Although a higher prevalence (6.3%) was observed in camels over 3 years old in Afar, there was no significant overall age difference (p > 0.05)...
- Serological diagnosis of brucellosis caused by Brucella canisV V Ebani
Department of Animal Pathology, Prophylaxis and Food Hygiene, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pisa, Viale delle Piagge, 2 56124 Pisa, Italy
New Microbiol 26:65-73. 2003..The same sera tested with B. ovis antigen revealed bands of 35, 32-30, 25, 23, 20-18, 15-12 kDa. No bands were observed with the negative control serum and the 50 canine tested sera...
- Experimental field trial with an immunostimulating complex (ISCOM) vaccine against contagious bovine pleuropneumoniaO J B Hübschle
Central Veterinary Laboratory, Windhoek, Namibia
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 50:298-303. 2003..However, gross pathological and histopathological score for vaccinated animals was as high as for the non-vaccinated, characterized by a high inflammatory reaction with histopathology dominated by interlobular pneumonia with vasculitis...
- Antibody response and antigen-specific gamma-interferon profiles of vaccinated and unvaccinated pregnant sheep experimentally infected with Brucella melitensisM Duran-Ferrer
Laboratorio Central de Sanidad Animal de Santa Fe, Ministerio de Agricultura, Pesca y Alimentación, Camino del Jau s n, E 18320 Santa Fe, Spain
Vet Microbiol 100:219-31. 2004..Nevertheless, the design of the study limits conclusions to pregnant ewes and cannot be extrapolated to non-pregnant ewes or rams. Likewise, the study provides no information on animals which are carriers of B. melitensis...
- [Assessment of polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to diagnose brucellosis in a Brucella infected herd]O Lavaroni
Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, Kreder 2805, 3080 Esperanza, Santa Fe, Argentina
Rev Argent Microbiol 36:101-6. 2004..Serological test showed 100% sensitivity related to PCR. The specificity for CF, C-ELISA and I-ELISA was 100%, 99% and 95% respectively. PCR could be useful to identify Brucella biotypes and to complement serologic tests...
- [The occurrence of Coxiella burnetii in sheep and ticks of the genus Dermacentor in Baden-Wuerttemberg]R Sting
Chemisches und Veterinaruntersuchungsamt Stuttgart, Fellbach
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 111:390-4. 2004..Investigations on C. burnetii using PCR as well as serological surveys of sheep are important instruments for diagnosis and disease control of Q-fever...
- [An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the detection of anti-chlamydial antibodies in pig sera]Klaus Henning
Friedrich Loeffler Institut, Bundesforschungsinstitut für Tiergesundheit, Standorte Wusterhausen und Jena
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 118:1-7. 2005..There was no agreement between CFT and ELISA data. These results were confirmed by a study with 191 sera from nine pig farms. As shown by ELISA and PCR chlamydiae are widespread in swine...
- Antigen-induced production of interferon-gamma in samples of peripheral lymph nodes from sheep experimentally inoculated with Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosisJ M Gwozdz
Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
Vet Microbiol 84:243-52. 2002..paratuberculosis rather than active infection...
- Serological diagnosis of enzootic pneumonia of swine by a double-sandwich enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using a monoclonal antibody and recombinant antigen (P46) of Mycoplasma hyopneumoniaeMunenori Okada
Zen noh Institute of Animal Health, 7 Ohja machi, Sakura, Chiba 285 0043, Japan
Vet Microbiol 105:251-9. 2005..Therefore, this ELISA is a useful alternative to the CF test currently used for the diagnosis of EP...
- Comparison of three serological tests in the diagnosis of Brucella infection in unvaccinated cattle in EritreaM K Omer
College of Agriculture, University of Asmara, PO Box 1220, Asmara, Eritrea
Prev Vet Med 48:215-22. 2001....
- Evaluation of a PCR test for the diagnosis of Brucella ovis infection in semen samples from ramsL Manterola
Departamento de Microbiologia, Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona 31008, Spain
Vet Microbiol 92:65-72. 2003..91 between both tests. The PCR-based test described has sensitivity similar to that of semen culture and could be used as a complementary test for the direct diagnosis of Brucella ovis in semen samples of rams...
- Serological diagnosis of ovine enzootic abortion by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay with a recombinant protein fragment of the polymorphic outer membrane protein POMP90 of Chlamydophila abortusDavid Longbottom
Moredun Research Institute, International Research Centre, Pentlands Science Park, Penicuik EH26 0PZ, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 40:4235-43. 2002..Overall, the new rOMP90-4 ELISA was found to be a more sensitive and specific test than CFT for differentiating animals infected with C. abortus from those infected with C. pecorum...
- Combined S99/RB51 antigen for complement fixation test for serological diagnosis of brucellosis in cattle and sheepR Adone
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Laboratorio di Medicina Veterinaria, Rome, Italy
J Appl Microbiol 93:872-6. 2002....
- [Chlamydia pneumoniae and myocardial infarct? (Serologic study)]K Zeman
I interní kardio angiologická klinika LF MU a FN u sv Anny, Brno
Vnitr Lek 47:852-5. 2001..pneumoniae and studies of its role in the aetiology of atherosclerosis. 3. The complement fixation test is still suitable for the screening of human chlamydiosis...
- Serologic detection of Brachyspira (Serpulina) hyodysenteriae infectionsT La
Division of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, Murdoch University, Western Australia, Australia
Anim Health Res Rev 2:45-52. 2001..In this review we summarize the available serologic tests for SD, and speculate on the use of recombinant BmpB as an antigen for future development of an improved serologic test for SD diagnosis...
- Evaluation of the long-term immune response in cattle after vaccination against paratuberculosis in two Dutch dairy herdsJ Muskens
Department of Bovine Health, Animal Health Service, P O Box 9, 7400 AA Deventer, The Netherlands
Vet Microbiol 86:269-78. 2002..In conclusion, for a large number of vaccinated cattle, a long lasting interference is to be expected with the presently available immunodiagnostic methods for both bovine tuberculosis and paratuberculosis...
- Detection of Campylobacter antibodies in sheep sera by a Dot-ELISA using acid extracts from c. fetus ssp. fetus and c. jejuni strains and comparison with a complement fixation testK Gurturk
Yüzüncü Yil Universitesi and Veteriner Fakültesi, Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Turkiye
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 49:146-51. 2002..fetus ssp. fetus could be employed for the detection of Campylobacter antibodies in sheep sera and the additional use of AGE from C. jejuni as antigen appeared not to be profitable for this purpose...
- Evaluation of a latex agglutination test for detection of immunoglobulin M (IgM) and IgG antibodies to Mycoplasma pneumoniaeW Rastawicki
Department of Bacteriology, National Institute of Hygiene, Chocimska 24, 00 791 Warsaw, Poland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 21:417-8. 2002
- Validation of an indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of antibody against Brucella abortus in cattle sera using an automated ELISA workstationJ T Paweska
Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute, South Africa
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 69:61-77. 2002..abortus. Based on the diagnostic accuracy of this assay reported here, the authors suggest that it could replace not only the currently used confirmatory CFT test, but also the two in-use screening tests, namely the RBT and SAT...
- Evaluation of a novel commercial enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay detecting Coxiella burnetii-specific immunoglobulin G for Q fever prevaccination screening and diagnosisPeter R Field
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology Laboratory Services, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, Queensland, Australia
J Clin Microbiol 40:3526-9. 2002..This test is suitable for use as a screening assay, with CFT and/or IFAT used to confirm negative results...
- Diagnosis and screening of foot-and-mouth diseaseMichelle Rémond
AFSSA Alfort, LERPAZ, Maisons Alfort, France
Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 25:309-20. 2002..More rapid and accurate tests as well as an earlier detection system in preclinical state are still needed...
- Efficiency of various serological techniques for diagnosing Coxiella burnetii infectionK Slaba
Laboratory for Diagnosis and Prevention of Rickettsial and Chlamydial Infections, Institute of Virology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska cesta 9, 845 05 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Acta Virol 49:123-7. 2005..A certain limitation, especially in testing early stages of the chronic disease, could be a low fluorescence intensity of the IgA positive control in comparison with the IgA negative one...
- Serologic responses, biosafety and clearance of four dosages of Brucella abortus strain RB51 in 6-10 months old water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)M D Diptee
Faculty of Medical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of the West Indies, Champs Fleurs, Trinidad and Tobago
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 109:43-55. 2006....
- Comparison of fluorescence polarization assay with card and complement fixation tests for the diagnosis of goat brucellosis in a high-prevalence areaC Ramirez-Pfeiffer
Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Forestales y Agropecuarias, Campo Experimental Aldama, Aldama, Tam, Mexico
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 110:121-7. 2006..The use of FPA as screening test will help to reduce the percentage of goats wrongly slaughtered because of brucellosis misdiagnosis. More studies on FPA are required for its approval as diagnostic tool for goat brucellosis...
- Cell-mediated immune responses differentiate infections with Brucella suis from Yersinia enterocolitica serotype O:9 in pigsU Riber
National Veterinary Institute, Technical University of Denmark, Bulowsvej 27, DK 1790 Copenhagen, Denmark
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 116:13-25. 2007..suis from both natural and experimental infections with YeO:9...
- An indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detection of antibodies to Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae serovar 7 in pig serumJoan Klausen
National Veterinary Institute, Technical University of Denmark, Bulowsvej 27, DK 1790 Copenhagen V, Denmark
J Vet Diagn Invest 19:244-9. 2007..pleuropneumoniae serovar 7. When compared to the complement fixation test (CFT) as a reference test, the ELISA showed much higher sensitivity and statistically equivalent specificity...
- Comparative diagnostic potential of three serological tests for abortive Q fever in goat herdsElodie Rousset
AFSSA, Agence Française de Sécurité Sanitaire des Aliments French Agency for Food Sanitary Safety, Unité Pathologie des Petits Ruminants Laboratory of Pathologies in Small Ruminants, Sophia Antipolis, France
Vet Microbiol 124:286-97. 2007..9) were significantly associated with abortion. Sampling on D15 gave the best association with ORs of 10 for ELISA and 6 for IFA. The practical interest of these results is discussed...
- Evaluation of immunogenicity and protective efficacy of Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae HB04C(-) mutant lacking a drug resistance marker in the pigsWeicheng Bei
Division of Animal Pathogens, State Key Laboratory of Agricultural Microbiology, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, PR China
Vet Microbiol 125:120-7. 2007..pleuropneumonia. Taken together, HB04C(-) might serve as a promising vaccine candidate against infection with A. pleuropneumoniae...
- Prevalence and epidemiological features of ovine enzootic abortion in LithuaniaJ Bagdonas
Department of Infectious Diseases, Lithuanian Veterinary Academy, Tilzes 18, LT 47181 Kaunas, Lithuania
Pol J Vet Sci 10:239-44. 2007..Analysis of smears from patological material by indirect FAT revealed that 54.5% of animals were positive to Chlamydophila abortus infection. The highest prevalence of chlamydia (66.7%) was registered in placentas of sheep which aborted...
- Occurrence of antibodies against Chlamydophila abortus in sheep and goats in the Slovak RepublicLydia Cislakova
Department of Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, P J Safarik University, Srobarova 2, 041 80 Kosice, Slovak Republic
Ann Agric Environ Med 14:243-5. 2007....
- Distribution of brucellosis among small ruminants in the pastoral region of Afar, eastern EthiopiaF Ashenafi
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Addis Ababa University, P O Box 34, Debre Zeit, Ethiopia
Rev Sci Tech 26:731-9. 2007..The authors recommend the implementation of well-organised disease control and prevention methods to mitigate the economic losses and public health hazard caused by the disease...
- Simple and rapid field tests for brucellosis in livestockTheresia Abdoel
KIT Biomedical Research, Royal Tropical Institute Koninklijk Instituut voor de Tropen KIT, Meibergdreef 39, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Vet Microbiol 130:312-9. 2008..However, as expected, some degree of reactivity was observed when testing selected serum samples that reacted non-specific in reference tests for brucellosis...
- Brucella abortus strain RB51 vaccine: immune response after calfhood vaccination and field investigation in Italian cattle populationManuela Tittarelli
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell Abruzzo e del Molise G Caporale, Campo Boario, 64100 Teramo, Italy
Clin Dev Immunol 2008:584624. 2008....
- A serological prevalence survey of Brucella abortus in cattle of rural communities in the province of KwaZulu-natal, South AfricaU W Hesterberg
Section of Epidemiology, Department of Production Animal Studies, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Pretoria, Private Bag X04, Onderstepoort, 0110 South Africa
J S Afr Vet Assoc 79:15-8. 2008..A large variation in prevalence was found within diptank areas. Brucellosis was found to be most prevalent in the northeastern area of the province. The findings of the survey are discussed...
- Application of the fluorescence polarization assay for detection of caprine antibodies to Brucella melitensis in areas of high prevalence and widespread vaccinationC Ramirez-Pfeiffer
Río Guadalquivir 401 B Ote, Colonia del Valle, San Pedro Garza Garcia, Nuevo Leon, Mexico, C P 66220
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:299-303. 2007....
- Protective effect of the Nramp1 BB genotype against Brucella abortus in the water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis)Rosanna Capparelli
Faculty of Biotechnological Sciences, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Infect Immun 75:988-96. 2007..The higher basal level of the antibacterial protein Nramp1 most probably provides the BB animals with the possibility of controlling bacteria immediately after their entry inside the cell...
- Evaluation of two commercial assays for the detection of Chlamydophila abortus antibodiesE Vretou
Department of Microbiology, Hellenic Pasteur Institute, 127 Avenue Vassilissis Sofias, 115 21 Athens, Greece
Vet Microbiol 123:153-61. 2007..The C. abortus ELISA by the Institut Pourquier identified less OEA-positive sera than the other assays though it identified correctly 9 of 10 OEA-positive flocks. The basis of the discordant results is discussed...
- Comparison of four diagnostic tests for the identification of serum antibodies in small ruminants infected with Mycoplasma agalactiaeR Kittelberger
Investigation and Diagnostic Centre Wallaceville, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, PO Box 40742, Upper Hutt, New Zealand
N Z Vet J 54:10-5. 2006....
- Persistence, serodiagnosis and effects on semen characteristics of artificial Brucella ovis infection in red deer stagsA L Ridler
Institute of Veterinary, Animal and Biomedical Sciences, Massey University, Private Bag 11222, Palmerston North, New Zealand
N Z Vet J 54:85-90. 2006..To assess the effects of recent and chronic infection on semen characteristics of stags...
- [An epidemiological survey of equine anaplasmosis (Anaplasma phagocytophilum) in southern France]A Leblond
Unité Environnement et Prévisions de la Santé des Populations, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire de Lyon, 1 avenue Bourgelat, 69280 Marcy l Etoile, France
Rev Sci Tech 24:899-908. 2005..18; p = 0.011). Spatial analysis showed the existence of groups of infected stables along canals and rivers (p = 0.008). These results suggest an emergence of A. phagocytophilum in the Camargue...
- A serological investigation into contagious caprine pleuropneumonia (CCPP) in EthiopiaA D Sharew
Ministry of Agriculture, National Veterinary Institute, Debre Zeit, Ethiopia
Trop Anim Health Prod 37:11-9. 2005..The specificity of the tests is discussed. The use of the B-ELISA test for the diagnosis and for epidemiological studies of CCPP is strongly recommended...
- An outbreak of psittacosis due to Chlamydophila psittaci genotype A in a veterinary teaching hospitalEdou R Heddema
Department of Medical Microbiology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Med Microbiol 55:1571-5. 2006..Recommendations are made to reduce the incidence and extent of future outbreaks...
- Evaluation of cattle for experimental infection with and transmission of Brucella suis biovar 4Lorry B Forbes
Saskatoon Laboratory, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, 116 Veterinary Rd, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 2R3
J Am Vet Med Assoc 222:1252-6. 2003..To determine whether cattle can become persistently infected with Brucella suis biovar 4, whether the organism can be transmitted vertically or horizontally, and whether tests for bovine brucellosis are diagnostic...
- The place and role of serologic methods in detecting Helicobacter pylori infectionMarinko Marusic
University Department of Medicine, General Hospital Sveti Duh, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 30:529-33. 2006..The sensitivity of serologic methods was above 90%, and their specificity was around 80%. Study results confirmed the value, reliability and usefulness of serologic methods in the detection of H. pylori infection...
- Prevalence of bovine and human brucellosis in western Algeria: comparison of screening testsH Aggad
Department of Veterinary Sciences, Faculty of Agronomic and Veterinary Sciences, Tiaret University, Tiaret, Algeria
East Mediterr Health J 12:119-28. 2006..Three isolates were identified from 105 blood samples from humans with brucellosis and 50 samples of milk and tissues from infected cows and they were all Brucella melitensis biovar 3...
- Brucella melitensis infection in sheep: present and futureB Garin-Bastuji
Laboratoire de référence OIE pour la brucellose, Maisons Alfort, France
Vet Res 29:255-74. 1998..While several ELISA tests have been developed recently, the rose bengal plate agglutination and complement fixation tests, based on the detection of anti-S-LPS antibody, are still recommended for screening flocks and ..
- Anaplasmosis control and diagnosis in South AfricaD T De Wall
Parasitology Division, Onderstepoort Veterinary Institute, Private Bag X05, Onderstepoort 0110, South Africa
Ann N Y Acad Sci 916:474-83. 2000..Several diagnostic tests, such as the complement fixation tests, card agglutination test, and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) have been developed to identify ..
- Brucella outer membrane complex-loaded microparticles as a vaccine against Brucella ovis in ramsPilar M Muñoz
CITA, Unidad de Sanidad Animal, Ap 727, 50080 Zaragoza, Spain
Vaccine 24:1897-905. 2006..sera taken from any of the animals immunized with Rev 1 were seropositive in both Rose Bengal and the Complement Fixation tests (RBT, CFT) used for the diagnosis of smooth Brucella infections...
- Analysis of host components in hydatid cyst fluid and immunoblot diagnosis of human Echinococcus granulosus infectionS Z Shapiro
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 86:503-9. 1992..One preparation, designed for use in complement fixation tests, did not appear to be suitable for immunoblotting because of the low concentrations of parasite antigens...
- Full-length sequencing and genetic characterization of Breu Branco virus (Reoviridae, Orbivirus) and two related strains isolated from Anopheles mosquitoesConceição de Maria Almeida Vieira
Amazonian Rural Federal University, Belem, Brazil
J Gen Virol 90:2183-90. 2009..Breu Branco virus is the first Brazilian orbivirus and the fifth orbivirus in the world to be sequenced fully...
- Use of chemiluminescence for the serological diagnosis of bovine and ovine brucellosis with indirect and competitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assaysManuela Tittarelli
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell Abruzzo e del Molise G Caporale, Via Campo Boario, Teramo, Italy
Vet Ital 44:389-403. 2008..specified in the national bovine and ovine/caprine brucellosis eradication plan are the Rose Bengal and complement fixation tests. In the current phase of the eradication plan, it is often difficult to interpret the results obtained ..
- Enterovirus heart disease of adults: a persistent, limited organ infection in the presence of neutralizing antibodiesA Heim
Institut fur Virologie und Seuchenhygiene, Medizinische Hochschule, Hannover, Germany
J Med Virol 53:196-204. 1997..to evaluate whether the myocardial enterovirus infection was acute or persistent, neutralization and complement fixation tests were performed for antibodies against the serotypes indicated by the nucleic acid sequences...
- New perspectives on coccidioidomycosisNeil M Ampel
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, and the Valley Fever Center for Excellence, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
Proc Am Thorac Soc 7:181-5. 2010..A commercial enzyme immunoassay appears more sensitive than the traditional tube precipitin and complement fixation tests and the immunodiffusion assays, but concern about specificity lingers...
- An unrecognized epidemic of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in ViennaFlorian Daxboeck
Clinical Institute for Hygiene and Medical Microbiology, Division of Hospital Hygiene, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:208-11. 2006..Antibody titers > or = 1:64 in complement fixation tests were considered indicative of acute or recent mycoplasma infection...
- Immunization of chicks at various ages with irradiated infective eggs of Ascaridia galliH C Malviya
Division of Parasitology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar
J Helminthol 62:207-12. 1988..Immunization also elicited detectable circulating antibody titres, with IHA and the conglutinating complement absorption test having a tendency to be enhanced after the booster dose...
- Polysaccharides with complement fixing and macrophage stimulation activity from Opilia celtidifolia, isolation and partial characterisationAdiaratou Togola
Section of Pharmacognosy, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Oslo, P O Box 1068, Blindern, N 0316 Oslo, Norway
J Ethnopharmacol 115:423-31. 2008..The present study is aimed to determine the bioactivity and structure of polysaccharides present in the leaves from the Malian medicinal plant Opilia celtidifolia [Guill. & Perr. Endl. ex Walp (Opiliaceae)]...
- Alveolar echinococcosis of the liver in childrenTadashi Yoshida
Department of Digestive and General Surgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Kita ku, Kita 15, Nishi 7, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 17:152-7. 2010..Alveolar echinococcosis of the liver (AEL) is a zoonosis that is distributed in cold regions of the northern hemisphere. The disease is mostly found in adults and rarely in pediatric patients because it tends to be slow growing...
- Dominant effects of mutations in the collagenous domain of mannose-binding proteinRussell Wallis
Department of Biochemistry, Glycobiology Institute, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Immunol 168:4553-8. 2002..The dominant effects of the mutations demonstrate how the presence of a single mutant allele gives rise to the molecular defects that lead to the disease phenotype in heterozygous individuals...
- Ultrastructural, antigenic and physicochemical characterization of the Mojuí dos Campos (Bunyavirus) isolated from bat in the Brazilian Amazon regionAna L M Wanzeller
Instituto Evandro Chagas, Belem, PA, 66090 000, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 97:307-11. 2002..102 arboviruses belonging to several antigenic groups isolated in the Amazon region or another region by complement fixation tests. The objective of this work was to develop a morphologic, an antigenic and physicochemical ..
- Estimation of sensitivity and specificity of five serological tests for the diagnosis of porcine brucellosisAnne Praud
National Veterinary School of Alfort ENVA French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health Safety ANSES, USC Epidemiology of Animal Infectious Diseases Unit Epi MAI, 94700 Maisons Alfort, France
Prev Vet Med 104:94-100. 2012..994, [0.977; 0.999], 95% CrI). The same conclusions were reached when doubtful results were considered as positive (Se C-ELISA(2)=0.963, [0.904, 0.994], 95% CrI and Sp C-ELISA(2)=0.996, [0.986; 1.0], 95% CrI)...
- Isolation and identification of African horse sickness virus during an outbreak in Lagos, NigeriaL A Oladosu
Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Rev Sci Tech 12:873-7. 1993..The clinical, pathological and epizootiological findings (reported elsewhere) were consistent with African horse sickness. Potential threats of the epidemic to international horse trade are briefly highlighted...
- Serologic studies in coccidioidomycosisD Pappagianis
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616-8645, USA
Semin Respir Infect 16:242-50. 2001..Some immunocompromised patients may have a limited humoral responsiveness; therefore, it will be important to develop a practical method for the detection of coccidioidal antigen...
- Treponemicidal antibody measured by the "washed-killing" assay correlates with immunity in experimental rabbit syphilisM A Lewinski
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90024
Sex Transm Dis 22:31-8. 1995....
- The immune response to influenza virus. I. Effect of the route and schedule of vaccination on the time course of the immune response, as measured by three serological methodsR G Webster
Immunology 9:501-19. 1965
- Naturally occurring anti-tissue antibodies in rat seraD M Weir
Clin Exp Immunol 1:433-42. 1966
- Fulminant psittacosis requiring mechanical ventilation and demonstrating serological cross-reactivity between Legionella longbeachae and Chlamydia psittaciR Soni
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Respirology 4:203-5. 1999..Serological tests may aid in diagnosis. We present two cases of fulminant psittacosis, one demonstrating early cross-reactivity with Legionella longbeachae...
- A study of antigenic variants of foot and mouth disease virus type A in India between 1977 and 1985N J Knowles
AFRC, Institute for Animal Health, Pirbright Laboratory, Woking, Surrey, United Kingdom
Rev Sci Tech 9:1157-68. 1990..Variation occurred in the structural proteins of the viruses isolated between 1977 and 1981; however, the polypeptide patterns of viruses isolated in 1984 and 1985 were identical...
- Comparison of five serologic tests for diagnosis of acute infections by Chlamydia pneumoniaeK Persson
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Malmo University Hospital, S 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 7:739-44. 2000..The tests were equally sensitive in different age groups. Reinfections seemed to be rare...
- Comparative evaluation of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for the serodiagnosis of dourineD A Wassall
Central Veterinary Laboratory, New Haw, Weybridge, UK
Vet Parasitol 39:233-9. 1991..It is suggested that ELISA would be relatively easy to standardise between laboratories and an ELISA protocol could be adopted as the internationally approved test for equine health certification...
- Comparative tests for detection of plague antigen and antibody in experimentally infected wild rodentsA J Shepherd
J Clin Microbiol 24:1075-8. 1986..Plague fraction 1 antigen was detected in 16 of 34 bacteremic sera from M. coucha and M. natalensis. The threshold sensitivity of the ELISA was approximately 10(5) Y. pestis per ml...
- An analysis of the fluid phase C1q binding assay. The effect of endogenous C1q on the precipitation and detection of an immune complex modelR J Jacobs
Arthritis and Immunology Program, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Oklahoma City 73104
J Immunol Methods 109:265-75. 1988..Thus the precipitation of 125I-C1q in the C1qBA represents (1) the fraction of total C1q bound to IC, and (2) the fraction of IC precipitated by PEG...
- Seroepidemiological study of herpes viruses in NepalT Kubo
JICA Faculty, Tribhuvan University Teaching Hospital, Kathmandu, Nepal
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 22:323-5. 1991..Only 25% of children 1-4 years old showed antibodies to VZV but the number of positives increased rapidly with age (82.9% in greater than 15 years age). Antibody against CMV was positive in all the subjects studied...
- Interactions of the complement system with native and chemically modified endotoxinsH Gewurz
J Bacteriol 95:397-405. 1968..These experiments supported the hypothesis that certain of the biological activities induced by endotoxins are mediated via the complement system...
- Humoral immune responses following experimental infection of goats with Mycoplasma capricolum subsp. capripneumoniaeJohn B March
Moredun Research Institute, Pentlands Science Park, Bush Loan, Peniciuk EH26 0PZ, Scotland, UK
Vet Microbiol 84:29-45. 2002..Of the diagnostic tests used, only the CPS antibody detection latex agglutination test and IgG immunoblotting gave positive diagnoses throughout the entire period post-infection (days 14-53 p.i.)...
- An investigation into alternative methods for the serodiagnosis of dourineC C Williamson
Veterinary Research Institute, Onderstepoort
Onderstepoort J Vet Res 55:117-9. 1988..The CATT could be of value in field situations, although it does not appear to be as sensitive as the CFT. Its possible application under these conditions should be further investigated...
- Comparison of Moraxella catarrhalis isolates from children and adults for growth on modified New York City medium and potential virulence factorsOmar R El-Ahmer
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
J Med Microbiol 52:853-9. 2003..All isolates from children were MNYC(+), serum-resistant and bound in greater numbers to RSV-infected cells. These results indicate that both RSV infection and antibiotic usage select for the MNYC(+) phenotype...
- Kinetics of specific immunoglobulins M, E, A, and G in congenital, primary, and secondary cytomegalovirus infection studied by antibody-capture enzyme-linked immunosorbent assayS L Nielsen
Institute of Medical Microbiology, University of Aarhus, Denmark
J Clin Microbiol 26:654-61. 1988..The nonspecific antibodies occurred in all four classes, but most often they were of the IgM class. Addition of unlabeled control antigen to the conjugates was not always sufficient to abort this nonspecific reaction...
- Immunoblotting and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the diagnosis of pemphigoid gestationisCassian Sitaru
Department of Dermatology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Obstet Gynecol 103:757-63. 2004....
- Chlamydophila psittaci in free-living Blue-fronted Amazon parrots (Amazona aestiva) and Hyacinth macaws (Anodorhynchus hyacinthinus) in the Pantanal of Mato Grosso do Sul, BrazilTânia de Freitas Raso
Departamento de Patologia Veterinária, Faculdade de Ciências Agrárias e Veterinárias da Universidade Estadual Paulista FCAV, UNESP, Jaboticabal, SP, Brazil
Vet Microbiol 117:235-41. 2006..No birds had clinical signs suggestive of chlamydiosis. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report on C. psittaci in free-living Blue-fronted Amazon parrots and Hyacinth macaws in Brazil...
- Comparative evaluation of positive tests to Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in clinically healthy sheep and goats in south-west Greece using molecular techniques, serology, and cultureJohn Ikonomopoulos
Department of Anatomy Physiology, Agricultural University, 18875 Athens, Greece
Vet J 174:337-43. 2007..The findings indicate the need for additional measures of control, although the costs may be substantial if public health protection justifies elimination of MAP from livestock...
- [Diagnostic tests: Rhinovirus]Ryuji Ieki
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Tokyo Metropolitan Bokuto Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 63:366-9. 2005
- Heterologous antiserum against gastric parietal cells induced by sub-microsomal gastric mucosal fractionH A Ward
Clin Exp Immunol 8:461-6. 1971
- Evaluation of in-house and commercial immunoassays for the sero-diagnosis of brucellosis in a non-endemic low prevalence populationR Sharma
Brucella Reference Unit, University Hospital Aintree, Lower Lane, Liverpool L9 7AL, UK
J Infect 56:108-13. 2008..In a low prevalence population, the combination of in-house and commercial immunoassays offers improvements in the sero-diagnosis of brucellosis...
- AUTOANTIBODIES IN SIMPLE ATROPHIC GASTRITISN F Coghill
Gut 6:48-56. 1965
- [Diagnostic tests: Varicella-zoster virus]Toshiharu Yamashita
Department of Dermatology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:294-6. 2005
- Pivotal role of complement-fixing HLA alloantibodies in presensitized kidney allograft recipientsM Wahrmann
Department of Medicine III, Division of Nephrology and Dialysis, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Am J Transplant 6:1033-41. 2006..Discerning complement-activating abilities of HLA alloantibodies, [C4d]FlowPRA may help identify recipients at particularly high risk for graft rejection and loss...
- Factors associated with vesicular stomatitis in animals in the western United StatesPaulo C Duarte
Animal Population Health Institute, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 232:249-56. 2008..To identify factors associated with development of vesicular stomatitis (VS)...
- Preliminary comparison of different immune and production components in local and imported Saanen goats reared under a sub-tropical environmentElie K Barbour
Animal and Veterinary Sciences Department, Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, American University of Beirut, P O Box 11 0236, Riyadh El Solh, Beirut, Lebanon
Trop Anim Health Prod 44:87-93. 2012..The impact of the differences in blood immune components and responses to antigens in the compared goats on protection potential against prevalent diseases in the sub-tropical zone of the eastern Mediterranean countries is discussed...
- Small ruminant brucellosis and community perception in Jijiga District, Somali Regional State, Eastern EthiopiaMihreteab Bekele
School of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Jimma University, P O Box 307, Jimma, Ethiopia
Trop Anim Health Prod 43:893-8. 2011....
- Immunity in experimental syphilis. IV. Serological reactivity of antigens extracted from gamm-irradiated Treponema pallidum and Treponema reiteriJ N Miller
J Bacteriol 91:583-7. 1966..pallidum Nichols indicates previously unsuspected antigenic differences between the rabbit-adapted Nichols strain of the organism and so-called "wild" human strains of T. pallidum in which this antigen is generally absent...
- WORLD REFERENCE CENTER FOR ARBOVIRUSESRobert Tesh; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology of Yellow Fever in the AmericasRobert Tesh; Fiscal Year: 2005..Most of the work will be done in laboratories at the University of Texas Medical Branch, Center for Tropical Diseases; but a small portion will be done at the Evandro Chagas Institute in Belem, Brazil. ..
- HUMAN AND ANIMAL RETINAS--CELL BIOLOGY OF THE IPMJoe Hollyfield; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- gClqR/p33 in S. Aureus Endovascular PathogenesisEllinor Peerschke; Fiscal Year: 2005..Results from these studies will define a novel mechanism for S. aureus interactions at sites of endovascular damage, and may identify novel targets for therapeutic intervention. ..
- ECOLOGY AND GENETICS OF VENEZUELAN EQUINE ENCEPHALITISScott Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2005..This information will be invaluable in targeting prevention and control resources, especially for obtaining maximum benefit in developing countries with limited resources. ..
- Vision Research Infrastructure Development GrantJoe Hollyfield; Fiscal Year: 2008..Their research activities will be enhanced by these services and their collaborative interactions will be strengthened and extended through this program. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Initiating Events in AMD: An Animal Model for the Human DiseaseJoe Hollyfield; Fiscal Year: 2007..A new model for AMD in the mouse will be an important a new resource for use in the preclinical testing of therapeutics designed to prevent or limit the progression of AMD. ..