Summary: Immunologic tests for identification of HIV (HTLV-III/LAV) antibodies. They include assays for HIV SEROPOSITIVITY and HIV SERONEGATIVITY; (ELISA, immunofluorescence, immunoblot, etc.) that have been developed for screening persons carrying the viral antibody from patients with overt symptoms of AIDS or AIDS-RELATED COMPLEX.
Publications187 found, 100 shown here
- Revised recommendations for HIV testing of adults, adolescents, and pregnant women in health-care settingsBernard M Branson
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention proposed, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 55:1-17; quiz CE1-4. 2006..Repeat screening in the third trimester is recommended in certain jurisdictions with elevated rates of HIV infection among pregnant women...
- New testing strategy to detect early HIV-1 infection for use in incidence estimates and for clinical and prevention purposesR S Janssen
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 280:42-8. 1998..Differentiating individuals with early human immunodeficiency virus 1 (HIV-1) infection from those infected for longer periods is difficult but important for estimating HIV incidence and for purposes of clinical care and prevention...
- Quantitative detection of increasing HIV type 1 antibodies after seroconversion: a simple assay for detecting recent HIV infection and estimating incidenceBharat S Parekh
Division of AIDS, STD, TB Laboratory Research, and Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 18:295-307. 2002..This assay should be useful for detecting recent HIV-1 infection and for estimating incidence among diverse HIV-1 subtypes worldwide...
- Improved HIV-1 incidence estimates using the BED capture enzyme immunoassayJohn W Hargrove
ZVITAMBO Project, Harare, Zimbabwe
AIDS 22:511-8. 2008..To validate the BED capture enzyme immunoassay for HIV-1 subtype C and to derive adjustments facilitating estimation of HIV-1 incidence from cross-sectional surveys...
- Risk factors for recent HIV infection in UgandaJonathan Mermin
Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Uganda, Entebbe, Uganda
JAMA 300:540-9. 2008..Studies of factors associated with acquiring human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) are often based on prevalence data that might not reflect recent infections...
- Effect of serotesting with counselling on condom use and seroconversion among HIV discordant couples in AfricaS Allen
Department of Pathology, University of California, San Francisco
BMJ 304:1605-9. 1992..Confidential HIV serotesting with counselling caused a large increase in condom use and was associated with a lower rate of new HIV infections. HIV testing is a promising intervention for preventing the spread of HIV in African cities...
- Acceptability of routine HIV testing ("opt-out") in antenatal services in two rural districts of ZimbabweFreddy Perez
Institut de Santé Publique, d Epidémiologie et de Développement ISPED, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux 2, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 41:514-20. 2006..Issues regarding, stigma, quality of post-testing counseling and staffing must be considered, however...
- Detecting acute human immunodeficiency virus infection using 3 different screening immunoassays and nucleic acid amplification testing for human immunodeficiency virus RNA, 2006-2008Pragna Patel
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Arch Intern Med 170:66-74. 2010..The yield of nucleic acid amplification testing (NAAT) after routine screening for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibody to detect acute HIV infection (AHI) may vary with different HIV-antibody assays...
- HIV incidence in rural South Africa: comparison of estimates from longitudinal surveillance and cross-sectional cBED assay testingTill Barnighausen
Africa Centre for Health and Population Studies, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, South Africa
PLoS ONE 3:e3640. 2008....
- Scale-up of voluntary HIV counseling and testing in KenyaElizabeth Marum
US Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Global AIDS Program, Nairobi, Kenya
JAMA 296:859-62. 2006
- HIV testing men in the antenatal setting: understanding male non-disclosureD A Katz
Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Int J STD AIDS 20:765-7. 2009..Couple counselling models that incorporate disclosure may yield greater HIV prevention benefits than offering individual partner HIV testing services at ANC...
- Accuracy of serological assays for detection of recent infection with HIV and estimation of population incidence: a systematic reviewRebecca Guy
Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Lancet Infect Dis 9:747-59. 2009..This conclusion is highly qualified by the apparent absence of a standardised approach to assay evaluation. There is an urgent need for an internationally agreed framework for evaluating and comparing these tests...
- Assessment of recent HIV-1 infection by a line immunoassay for HIV-1/2 confirmationJorg Schupbach
University of Zurich, Swiss National Center for Retroviruses, Zurich, Switzerland
PLoS Med 4:e343. 2007..We have investigated whether this "recency" information can also be gained from an HIV confirmatory assay...
- Ensuring a public health impact of programs to reduce HIV transmission from mothers to infants: the place of voluntary counseling and testingMary Travis Bassett
The Rockefeller Foundation Southern Africa Office, Kopje Plaza, 1 Jason Moya Avenue, Harare, Zimbabwe
Am J Public Health 92:347-51. 2002....
- Availability of rapid human immunodeficiency virus testing in academic emergency departmentsPeter D Ehrenkranz
Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Acad Emerg Med 15:144-50. 2008..The study objectives were to determine the accessibility of rapid HIV testing in academic EDs, to identify factors that influence an ED's adoption of testing, and to describe current HIV testing practices...
- Explosive spread and high prevalence of HIV infection among injecting drug users in Togliatti City, RussiaTim Rhodes
Department of Social Science and Medicine, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, University of London, London, UK
AIDS 16:F25-31. 2002..To establish the prevalence of antibodies to HIV (anti-HIV) and associated risk factors among injecting drug users (IDU) in Togliatti City, Samara Oblast, Russian Federation...
- Do tests devised to detect recent HIV-1 infection provide reliable estimates of incidence in Africa?Charlotte Sakarovitch
INSERM EMI 03 38, Institut de Santé Publique, Epidemiologie, et Développement ISPED, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 45:115-22. 2007..The authors conclude that none of the 4 methods could currently be used to estimate HIV-1 incidence routinely in Côte d'Ivoire but that further adaptations might enhance their accuracy...
- Antenatal couple counseling increases uptake of interventions to prevent HIV-1 transmissionCarey Farquhar
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104 249, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37:1620-6. 2004..004). Partner participation in VCT and couple counseling increased uptake of nevirapine and formula feeding. Antenatal couple counseling may be a useful strategy to promote HIV-1 prevention interventions...
- Routine HIV testing in Botswana: a population-based study on attitudes, practices, and human rights concernsSheri D Weiser
Physicians for Human Rights, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Med 3:e261. 2006..The Botswana government recently implemented a policy of routine or "opt-out" HIV testing in response to the high prevalence of HIV infection, estimated at 37% of adults...
- Precision and accuracy of a procedure for detecting recent human immunodeficiency virus infections by calculating the antibody avidity index by an automated immunoassay-based methodBarbara Suligoi
Reparto AIDS e MST, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Ospedale S Giovanni Addolorata, Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 40:4015-20. 2002....
- Unrecognized HIV infection among patients attending sexually transmitted disease clinicsHillard Weinstock
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Surveillance and Epidemiology, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Public Health 92:280-3. 2002..This study examined voluntary HIV testing rates in sexually transmitted disease (STD) clinics...
- The cost-effectiveness of expanded testing for primary HIV infectionAndrew Coco
Healthcare Research Center, Lancaster General Hospital, Lancaster, PA 17604 3555, USA
Ann Fam Med 3:391-9. 2005..The objectives of this study are to determine whether it is cost-effective to expand testing for primary HIV infection to a larger cohort of patients, and, if so, which diagnostic assay is most cost-effective...
- HIV testing frequency among men who have sex with men attending sexually transmitted disease clinics: implications for HIV prevention and surveillanceDonna J Helms
Division of Sexually Transmitted Diseases Prevention, Coordinating Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30329, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 50:320-6. 2009....
- "Opt-out" testing for HIV in Africa: a cautionJoanne Csete
Lancet 363:493-4. 2004
- Emergency department patient acceptance of opt-in, universal, rapid HIV screeningRoland C Merchant
Department of Emergency Medicine, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
Public Health Rep 123:27-40. 2008..We assessed emergency department (ED) patient acceptance of opt-in, rapid human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) screening and identified demographic characteristics and HIV testing-history factors associated with acceptance of screening...
- Influencing factors for seeking HIV voluntary counseling and testing among tuberculosis patients in CambodiaSiyan Yi
Department of International Community Health, School of International Health, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
AIDS Care 21:529-34. 2009..To increase VCT utilization among TB patients, we need effective strategies to reduce AIDS stigma among them. Moreover, initiation of routine HIV testing in TB facilities might be another effective solution...
- Should biomarker estimates of HIV incidence be adjusted?Ron Brookmeyer
Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
AIDS 23:485-91. 2009..g. BED capture enzyme immunoassay). These procedures were motivated by some reports that the biomarker BED approach overestimates incidence when compared to cohort studies...
- Perceptions of lifetime risk and actual risk for acquiring HIV among young men who have sex with menDuncan A MacKellar
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention Surveillance and Epidemiology, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, MS E 46, Atlanta, Georgia, GA 30333, USA
AIDS Behav 11:263-70. 2007..To increase HIV testing, prevention providers should intensify efforts to assess, and to increase when needed, perceptions of lifetime risks for acquiring HIV among young MSM...
- Population and antenatal-based HIV prevalence estimates in a high contracepting female population in rural South AfricaBrian D Rice
Africa Centre for Health and Population Studies, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
BMC Public Health 7:160. 2007..There is particular emphasis on unrepresentative selection of ANC clinics and unrepresentative testing in the population...
- HIV testing in patients with TBKevin M De Cock
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Nairobi, Kenya, East Africa
Trop Doct 36:71-3. 2006
- Refusing HIV testing in an urgent care setting: results from the "Think HIV" programRebecca V Liddicoat
Department of Medicine, Greater Los Angeles Veterans Affairs, Los Angeles, California 90073, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 20:84-92. 2006..If routine HIV testing programs are to be successful, strategies must be developed to increase HIV test acceptance among patients most likely to refrain from testing...
- Understanding the patient's perspective on rapid and routine HIV testing in an inner-city urgent care centerAngela B Hutchinson
Grady Memorial Hospital, Georgia State University, and Georgia Institute of Technology, School of Public Policy, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 16:101-14. 2004..Fear and stigma were common reasons for refusing testing and not returning for results. Distrust and misconceptions about HIV, particularly regarding the importance of testing, were very common...
- Provider-initiated HIV testing and counselling for TB patients and suspects in Nairobi, KenyaJ Odhiambo
United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Nairobi, Kenya
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:63-8. 2008..Integrated tuberculosis (TB) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) services in a resource-constrained setting...
- Predictors of HIV-1 serostatus disclosure: a prospective study among HIV-infected pregnant women in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaG Antelman
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
AIDS 15:1865-74. 2001..Lack of disclosure may have limited their ability to engage in preventive behaviors or to obtain the necessary emotional support for coping with their serostatus or illness...
- Detection of acute HIV infections in an urban HIV counseling and testing population in the United StatesFrances H Priddy
Department of Medicine, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44:196-202. 2007..Antibody tests alone are insufficient for public health practice in high-risk urban HIV testing settings...
- Surveillance for HIV-1 incidence using tests for recent infection in resource-constrained countriesJ Steven McDougal
National Center for HIV AIDS, STD, TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Public Health Service, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
AIDS 19:S25-30. 2005....
- Uptake of workplace HIV counselling and testing: a cluster-randomised trial in ZimbabweElizabeth L Corbett
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 3:e238. 2006..HIV counselling and testing is a key component of both HIV care and HIV prevention, but uptake is currently low. We investigated the impact of rapid HIV testing at the workplace on uptake of voluntary counselling and testing (VCT)...
- Barriers to HIV-testing among Hispanics in the United States: analysis of the National Health Interview Survey, 2000Catalina Lopez-Quintero
Braun School of Public Health and Community Medicine, Hebrew University-Hadassah, Jerusalem, Israel
AIDS Patient Care STDS 19:672-83. 2005..Recognition of the HIV testing barriers identified in this study is valuable for the development and refinement of current strategies that aim to increase HIV testing practices in the heterogeneous U.S. Hispanic population...
- Socio-demographic correlates of desire for HIV testing in TanzaniaMaurice C Y Mbago
Statistics Department Demographic Unit, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Sex Health 1:13-21. 2004..This paper seeks to identify some socio-demographic factors that are associated with desire for HIV testing in Tanzania...
- Recent HIV testing among young men who have sex with men: correlates, contexts, and HIV seroconversionDuncan A MacKellar
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention Surveillance and Epidemiology, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Sex Transm Dis 33:183-92. 2006..We evaluated the correlates and contexts of HIV testing within the past year, subsequent risk reduction, and HIV seroconversion among young men who have sex with men (MSM)...
- National scale-up of HIV testing and provision of HIV care to tuberculosis patients in KenyaJ M Chakaya
Centre for Respiratory Diseases Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 12:424-9. 2008..Kenya, one of the 22 tuberculosis (TB) high-burden countries, whose TB burden is fuelled by the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)...
- Outputs, cost and efficiency of public sector centres for prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV in Andhra Pradesh, IndiaLalit Dandona
George Institute for International Health India, Hyderabad, India
BMC Health Serv Res 8:26. 2008..PMTCT services are mostly provided at public sector government hospitals in India. Systematic data on the cost and efficiency of providing PMTCT services in India are not available readily for further planning...
- Patient's dissatisfaction with the public and private laboratory services in conducting HIV related testing in TanzaniaS G Mfinanga
Muhimbili Medical Research Centre, National Institute for Medical Research NIMR, Dar es es Salaam, Tanzania
BMC Health Serv Res 8:167. 2008..Patient's satisfaction with both private and public laboratory services is important for the improvement of the health care delivery in any country...
- Suitability of simple human immunodeficiency virus rapid tests in clinical trials in community-based clinic settingsDean B Everett
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London WC1E 7HT, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 47:1058-62. 2009..9 to 100%), and 100% for the parallel SR (95% CI, 99.4 to 100%). SR tests are suitable for use in community-based clinical research settings to assess eligibility both for trial participation and for the provision of on-site VCT services...
- Feasibility of routine HIV testing among TB patients through a voluntary counselling and testing centreB E Thomas
Tuberculosis Research Centre, Indian Council of Medical Research, Chetput, Chennai, India
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 11:1296-301. 2007..Detection of HIV among TB patients is crucial to the holistic management of HIV-TB co-infected patients...
- Post-marketing surveillance of OraQuick whole blood and oral fluid rapid HIV testingLaura G Wesolowski
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS 20:1661-6. 2006..Post-marketing surveillance was conducted to monitor the performance of the OraQuick Advance rapid HIV-1/2 antibody test (OraQuick) on whole blood and oral fluid...
- Voluntary rapid human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) testing in jailsRobin MacGowan
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Sex Transm Dis 36:S9-13. 2009..To provide human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) rapid testing to persons in jails, identify previously undiagnosed cases of HIV infection, and refer HIV-infected inmates to care, treatment, and prevention services...
- A seronegative case of HIV-1 subtype C infection in BotswanaVladimir Novitsky
Botswana Harvard School of Public Health AIDS Initiative Partnership for HIV Research and Education, Princess Marina Hospital, Gaborone, Botswana
Clin Infect Dis 45:e68-71. 2007..The reported case indicates the importance of studying the prevalence of seronegative HIV-1 infection in southern Africa, where subtype C predominates...
- Late diagnosis of HIV infection: trends, prevalence, and characteristics of persons whose HIV diagnosis occurred within 12 months of developing AIDSSandra Schwarcz
San Francisco Department of Public Health, 25 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:491-4. 2006..Persons diagnosed late in the course of HIV infection may be unknowingly transmitting infection and once diagnosed may have worse outcomes and greater medical expenses...
- Effectiveness of first eight methadone maintenance treatment clinics in ChinaLin Pang
National Centre for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
AIDS 21:S103-7. 2007..To evaluate the effectiveness of the first phase of eight methadone maintenance treatment (MMT) clinics in China...
- Investigation of false positive results with an oral fluid rapid HIV-1/2 antibody testKrishna Jafa
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e185. 2007..From August 2004-June 2005, we investigated a sudden increase in false-positive results occurring in a performance study of OraQuick oral-fluid rapid HIV tests in Minnesota...
- High HIV incidence during pregnancy: compelling reason for repeat HIV testingDhayendre Moodley
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of KwaZulu Natal, Congella, South Africa
AIDS 23:1255-9. 2009..To determine the incidence of HIV during pregnancy as defined by seroconversion using a repeat HIV rapid testing strategy during late pregnancy...
- Health department collaboration with emergency departments as a model for public health programs among at-risk populationsMichael S Lyons
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Public Health Rep 120:259-65. 2005....
- Prevention and treatment of human immunodeficiency virus/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome in resource-limited settingsDaniel R Hogan
Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, Harvard School of Public Health, 9 Bow Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Bull World Health Organ 83:135-43. 2005..Successful integration of treatment and prevention of HIV/AIDS will require a balanced approach and rigorous monitoring of the impact of programmes in terms of both individual and population outcomes...
- HIV testing technologies after two decades of evolutionNiel T Constantine
University of Maryland School of Medicine and Institute of Human Virology, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Indian J Med Res 121:519-38. 2005..Technologic advances with HIV diagnostics continue to address outstanding and new issues associated with diagnosis and the monitoring of infection by providing more simplified, cost-effective, and accurate testing throughout the world...
- Legal barriers to implementing recommendations for universal, routine prenatal HIV testingLeslie E Wolf
Program in Medical Ethics, Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
J Law Med Ethics 32:137-47. 2004
- Rapid HIV testing of clients of a mobile STD/HIV clinicThomas S Liang
Division of General Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 19:253-7. 2005..These data suggest that rapid HIV testing services may enhance the effectiveness of mobile STD/HIV clinics...
- Cost-effectiveness of voluntary HIV-1 counselling and testing in reducing sexual transmission of HIV-1 in Kenya and TanzaniaM Sweat
School of Hygiene and Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 356:113-21. 2000..Access to HIV-1 voluntary counselling and testing (VCT) is severely limited in less-developed countries. We undertook a multisite trial of HIV-1 VCT to assess its impact, cost, and cost-effectiveness in less-developed country settings...
- Living with HIV: women's experience in Burkina Faso, West AfricaS Issiaka
Centre Muraz, OCCGE, Burkina Faso
AIDS Care 13:123-8. 2001..These community-based organizations, lead by qualified and highly motivated volunteers, could facilitate a better social integration of HIV infected women in Burkina Faso...
- Real-time, universal screening for acute HIV infection in a routine HIV counseling and testing populationChristopher D Pilcher
Department of Medicien, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7030, USA
JAMA 288:216-21. 2002..However, HIV nucleic acid-based testing is widely used to screen for antibody-negative acute infection among low-risk blood donors...
- HIV counseling and testing of pregnant women in sub-Saharan Africa: experiences from a study on prevention of mother-to-child HIV-1 transmission in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaC Kilewo
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 28:458-62. 2001..In conclusion, this information is useful in planning intervention programs for prevention of mother-to-child HIV-1 transmission and it shows that improvements are required in counseling...
- Cost-effectiveness of HIV counseling and testing in US prisonsB Varghese
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Surveillance and Epidemiology, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Urban Health 78:304-12. 2001....
- Feasibility of antenatal and late HIV testing in pregnant women in Phnom Penh Cambodia: the PERIKAM/ANRS1205 studyManil Saman
AIDS 16:950-1. 2002
- Costs and consequences of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recommendations for opt-out HIV testingDavid R Holtgrave
Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Med 4:e194. 2007..In this paper, I estimate the costs and public health impact of opt-out HIV testing relative to testing accompanied by client-centered counseling, and relative to a more targeted counseling and testing strategy...
- National program for preventing mother-child HIV transmission in Thailand: successful implementation and lessons learnedSiripon Kanshana
Department of Health, Ministry of Public Health, Tivanon Road, Nonthaburi 11000, Thailand
AIDS 16:953-9. 2002....
- The impact of safer breastfeeding practices on postnatal HIV-1 transmission in ZimbabweEllen G Piwoz
Center for Nutrition, Academy for Educational Development, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Public Health 97:1249-54. 2007....
- Factors influencing acceptability of voluntary counselling and HIV-testing among pregnant women in Northern TanzaniaM M de Paoli
Department of Nutrition, Institute for Nutrition Research, University of Oslo, Norway
AIDS Care 16:411-25. 2004..If pregnant women are to fully participate in and benefit from mother-to-child-transmission prevention efforts, their partners must be committed and involved in the process...
- Reducing perinatal HIV transmission among HIV-infected pregnant womenRita M Soza Vento
Howard Phillips Center for Children and Families, Orlando Regional Healthcare, Florida, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 33:187-92. 2007..A program coordinator and a social worker worked with a 1572 bed-hospital system to successfully implement the protocol...
- Late HIV diagnosis: bad medicine and worse public healthRonald O Valdiserri
US Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC, United States of America
PLoS Med 4:e200. 2007
- Using HIV voluntary counseling and testing data for monitoring the Uganda HIV epidemic, 1992-2000Fulgentius Baryarama
CDC-Uganda, Global AIDS Program, National Center for HIV/AIDS, STD, and TB, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37:1180-6. 2004..In regions with well-established VCT programs, VCT data may provide a useful and convenient tool for monitoring the HIV epidemic...
- [Impaired fertility in women infected with HIV-1. Implications for sentinel serosurveillance]S Yaro
Centre Muraz, , 01 B.P. 153 Bobo-Dioulasso 01, Burkina Faso
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 49:221-8. 2001..These findings suggest adjusting antenatal clinic-based HIV sentinel surveillance data for age and fertility in order to derive a good estimate of the community HIV prevalence...
- Acceptance of HIV testing and counseling among unmarried young adults in Northern ThailandChuleeporn Jiraphongsa
Field Epidemiology Training Program, Division of Epidemiology, Ministry of Public Health, Thailand
AIDS Educ Prev 14:89-101. 2002..11%. Factors associated with HIV-TC acceptance were ever having had a sexually transmitted disease, being previously married, intention to get tested, and having partici pated in AIDS-related activities...
- HIV-1 incidence estimates using IgG-capture BED-enzyme immunoassay from surveillance sites of injection drug users in three cities of ChinaYan Jiang
National AIDS Reference Laboratory, National Center for AIDS STD Control and Prevention, Beijing, China
AIDS 21:S47-51. 2007..To detect recent infection in injection drug users (IDU) using the HIV-1 subtypes B, E, and D IgG-capture enzyme immunoassay (BED-CEIA) and estimate HIV-1 incidence in the IDU population in three cities of China...
- Sensitivity and specificity of human immunodeficiency virus rapid serologic assays and testing algorithms in an antenatal clinic in Abidjan, Ivory CoastS Koblavi-Deme
Projet RETRO CI, CHU de Treichville, Abidjan 01, Ivory Coast, Africa
J Clin Microbiol 39:1808-12. 2001..HIV serodiagnosis based on rapid assays may be a valuable alternative in implementing HIV prevention and surveillance programs in areas where sophisticated laboratories are difficult to establish...
- The effect of rapid HIV-1 testing on uptake of perinatal HIV-1 interventions: a randomized clinical trialIsaac M Malonza
Department of Reproductive Health and Research, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
AIDS 17:113-8. 2003..We examined whether HIV-1 testing using a rapid assay increases the proportion of pregnant women obtaining HIV-1 results and the uptake of perinatal HIV-1 interventions...
- The rapid diagnosis of HIV-1 infection in mothers in Puerto Rico: a crucial testing strategy for maximal reduction of perinatal transmissionGeorge V Hillyer
Departments of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine, PO Box 365067, San Juan, PR 00936 5067
P R Health Sci J 21:133-5. 2002..These results clearly indicate that all mothers at delivery should have a rapid test to determine their HIV-1 status to allow in the positive cases rapid intervention strategies to prevent perinatal transmission...
- [Prevalence and incidence of HIV-1 infection among employees of a large textile business and their wives in Kinshasa, 1991-1996]M Mayala
Projet SIDA, Kinshasa, B.P. 8502 Kinshasa 1, , Belgiuque
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 49:117-24. 2001..Comparative prospective studies using a similar methodology are needed to better understand the reasons for these differences...
- Cost-effectiveness of strategies to reduce mother-to-child HIV transmission in Mexico, a low-prevalence settingKely Rely
Health Economics Unit, Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social, Mexico City, Mexico
Health Policy Plan 18:290-8. 2003..However, it compares favourably against several therapeutic maternal/child interventions available in the public sector's tertiary care hospitals...
- Declining seroprevalence of HIV infection among paediatric inpatientsS R Daga
Cama and Albless Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Trop Doct 37:233-5. 2007..We believe that paediatric inpatients reflect the extent of MTCT in the community...
- The use of simple, rapid tests to detect antibodies to human immunodeficiency virus types 1 and 2 in pooled serum specimensStephen D Soroka
HIV Immunology and Diagnostic Branch, Division of AIDS, STD, and TB Laboratory Research, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Mail D-12, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Clin Virol 27:90-6. 2003..CONCLUSION: Use of a pooling strategy with either assay reduced the number of tests required by almost 50% and could provide substantial cost reductions for HIV screening in settings where HIV-1 prevalence is less than 10%...
- Rapid diagnostic testing for HIV. Clinical implicationsSindy M Paul
Division of AIDS Prevention and Control, New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services, USA
N J Med 100:11-4; quiz 63-4. 2003..As a result of the availability of rapid diagnostic testing for HIV, practices regarding testing and counseling need to be updated, particularly in time-sensitive situations in which rapid results are crucial...
- Cost effectiveness of couple counselling to enhance infant HIV-1 preventionFrancis N John
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
Int J STD AIDS 19:406-9. 2008..Cost per disability-adjusted life year was similar to that of individual VCT. Sensitivity analyses found that couple VCT was more cost-effective in scenarios with increased uptake of couple counselling and higher HIV-1 prevalence...
- Patients' acceptance of HIV testing: how useful is an information leaflet?M Huengsberg
Int J STD AIDS 14:141-2. 2003
- The challenges of informed consent for rapid HIV testing in laborDenise J Jamieson
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, NCHSTP, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Mailstop E 45, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 12:889-95. 2003....
- Assessment of the implementation of HIV-rapid test kits at different levels of health institutions in EthiopiaBelete Tegbaru
Ethiopian Health and Nutrition Research Institute EHNRI National Referral Laboratory for AIDS NRLA
Ethiop Med J 45:293-9. 2007..To evaluate the implementation of HIV rapid test kits at the point of services in voluntarily counseling and testing (VCT) and diagnostic centers in Ethiopia...
- State of the art for diagnosis of HIV infectionBernard M Branson
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:S221-5. 2007..These new testing technologies offer unique opportunities to diagnose HIV infection among the estimated 252,000-312,000 persons in the United States who are currently unaware they are infected...
- Implementation of a programme for the prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in a Ugandan hospital over five years: challenges, improvements and lessons learnedM Magoni
Department of Drug Research and Evaluation, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Int J STD AIDS 18:109-13. 2007..The need for specific personnel for counselling, male partners' involvement and availability of antiretroviral drugs for those who needed treatment were identified as factors possibly affecting implementation...
- Evaluation of rapid HIV test kits on whole blood and development of rapid testing algorithm for voluntary testing and counseling centers in EthiopiaBelete Tegbaru
Ethiopian Health and Nutrition Research Institute-National Referral Laboratory for AIDS
Ethiop Med J 42:267-76. 2004..Determine, Capillus/Oraquick (presence/absence of frefrigeration) and Unigold were recommended as screening, confirmation and tiebreaker tests, respectively...
- HIV-1 infection in early seroconversion stage missed by rapid or ELISA tests--two case reportsNeerja Jindal
Department of Microbiology, Govt Medical College, Amritsar
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 48:395-6. 2005..The 2nd case presumably too in early seroconversion phase, was that of a 39 years old male. In this case ELISA test failed to diagnose the infection while the two rapid tests were found to be strongly positive...
- Current state and need for improvement of system for antibody testing and counseling for HIV infection at public health centers in JapanChika Miyazaki
Department of Health Policy, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University 1 5 45, Yushima, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8519, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 52:177-82. 2005..Public Health Centers (PHCs) throughout Japan have been playing a role in preventing HIV in Japan. The number of HIV seropositive persons and AIDS patients is increasing from year to year in Japan...
- HIV counselling and testing of pregnant women attending antenatal clinics in Botswana, 2001Serai Daniel Rakgoasi
Department of Population Studies, University of Botswana, Botswana
J Health Popul Nutr 23:58-65. 2005..Lack of capacity to deliver voluntary counselling and testing services to all pregnant women attending antenatal care is one of the biggest challenges to increased use of voluntary counselling and testing services...
- False negative HIV-1 proviral DNA polymerase chain reaction in a patient with primary infection acquired in ThailandPhilip Cunningham
NSW State Reference Laboratory for HIV AIDS, Centre for Immunology, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, NSW 2010, Australia
J Clin Virol 26:163-9. 2003....
- Factors predicting uptake of voluntary counselling and testing in a real-life setting in a mother-and-child center in Ouagadougou, Burkina FasoSalvatore Pignatelli
St Camille Medical Center, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Trop Med Int Health 11:350-7. 2006..The independent value of age and previous obstetrical episodes show how important social factors are in influencing the voluntary HIV counselling and testing uptake rate...
- Botswana: Refugees not entitled to same services as citizensVanisree Trippayya
HIV AIDS Policy Law Rev 10:27-8. 2005..Unfortunately, these policies have not been extended to the large numbers of refugees in Botswana. Botswana's Refugee Recognition and Control Act does not recognize a refugee as an ordinary resident...
- Optimal allocation of testing dollars: the example of HIV counseling, testing, and referralRochelle P Walensky
Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Med Decis Making 25:321-9. 2005..Using the example of HIV testing, the authors explore the optimal targeting of funds within this pathway...
- Screening of HIV-1 antibodies in VDRL reactive pregnant women in a Delhi hospitalManoj Jais
J Commun Dis 36:297. 2004
- HIV risk perception and prevalence in a program for prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission: comparison of women who accept voluntary counseling and testing and those tested anonymouslyHarriet Mpairwe
Uganda Virus Research Institute and Entebbe General Hospital, Entebbe, Uganda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:354-8. 2005..Data from VCT/PMTCT programs cannot replace anonymous surveillance for monitoring of HIV epidemic trends where coverage is incomplete within clinics or communities...
- Ultrasensitive quantitative HIV-1 p24 antigen assay adapted to dried plasma spots to improve treatment monitoring in low-resource settingsMarlyse C Knuchel
Swiss National Center for Retroviruses, , Gloriastrasse 30/32, , Switzerland
J Clin Virol 36:64-7. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: This quantitative p24 antigen test has similar sensitivity and specificity using DPS and venous plasma, and has the potential to improve health care delivery to HIV-affected individuals in resource-constrained countries...
- [The use of dried blood spots for HIV-antibody testing in Sahel]O N Ouwe-Missi-Oukem-Boyer
Centre International de Recherches Medicales de Franceville CIRMF, BP 769, Franceville, Gabon
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 98:343-6. 2005..In conclusion, dried blood spots may accurately and profitably replace serum samples for the serodiagnosis of HIV infection and for mass serosurveys in Sahel...
- Voluntary counseling and testing by nurse counselors: what is the role of routine repeated testing after a negative result?Ronnie Matambo
Biomedical Research and Training Institute, Harare, Zimbabwe
Clin Infect Dis 42:569-71. 2006..0065%-1.4%) and no "true" seroconversions (upper 95% confidence limit, 0.96%) were detected. High-risk behavior was not significantly reduced. Policies recommending routine retesting need to be reconsidered...
- HIV testing patterns and unrecognized HIV infection among young Asian and Pacific Islander men who have sex with men in San FranciscoTri D Do
Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California San Francisco, 74 New Montgomery Street, Ste 600, San Francisco, CA 94105, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 17:540-54. 2005..These findings underscore the need to increase access to culturally appropriate and targeted HIV testing and to change perceptions of risk in this population...
Research Grants146 found, 100 shown here
- ECTOPY, HORMONAL CONTRACEPTION AND STD'S IN ADOLESCENTSLigia Peralta; Fiscal Year: 2004..They have collaborated on the preliminary study and have experience in planning, implementing and managing successful longitudinal studies on high-risk youth. ..
- Centre for Infectious Diseases Research in Zambia HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials UnitJeffrey Stringer; Fiscal Year: 2007..This CTU application is submitted in pursuit of this objective. ADMINISTRATIVE COMPONENT: ..
- Family-to-Family: Psychoeducation to Improve Children's Outcomes in HIV+ FamiliesLi Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..The primary outcomes are school-age children's social, behavioral and mental health status. HIV+ parent's and family caregivers' health mental health, parenting skills, and family bonds are intermediate outcomes. ..
- Optimizing strategies for universal HIV testingRochelle P Walensky; Fiscal Year: 2010..The scientific basis for early detection of HIV infection and aggressive linkage to care has been successfully laid. The challenge now is to identify effective, affordable, and cost-effective implementation mechanisms. ..
- HIV Screening in the Emergency Department SettingMichael Lyons; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Brief Intervention for Drug Misuse for the Emergency Department (BIDMED)Ted D Nirenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..SBIRT in the ED for drug misuse has the potential for reaching people during a "teachable moment" during an ED visit that might be related to drug misuse. ..
- PS06-003, Opt-out HIV Testing in Emergency Dept settingsJason Haukoos; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Brief Intervention for Drug Misuse for the Emergency Department (BIDMED)Roland Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2009..SBIRT in the ED for drug misuse has the potential for reaching people during a "teachable moment" during an ED visit that might be related to drug misuse. ..
- Social Setting & HIV Risk: Opportunities for PreventionWilliam Woods; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- A community-level RCT of expedited partner treatment for gonorrhea and chlamydiaMatthew R Golden; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Optimizing strategies for universal HIV testingRochelle Walensky; Fiscal Year: 2009..The scientific basis for early detection of HIV infection and aggressive linkage to care has been successfully laid. The challenge now is to identify effective, affordable, and cost-effective implementation mechanisms. ..
- Brief Intervention for Drug Misuse for the Emergency Department (BIDMED)Roland Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2009..SBIRT in the ED for drug misuse has the potential for reaching people during a "teachable moment" during an ED visit that might be related to drug misuse. ..
- Video-Based Delivery of HIV Test Information for Spanish-Speaking LatinosRoland C Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ultimate aim of this project is to help reduce the transmission of HIV through streamlined yet effective HIV testing approaches. ..
- Community Prevention Policy & Programs in Risk SettingsWilliam Woods; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Brief Intervention for Drug Misuse for the Emergency Department (BIDMED)Ted D Nirenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010
- A community-level RCT of expedited partner treatment for gonorrhea and chlamydiaMatthew Golden; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Treatment Models for Primary and Chronic HIV InfectionRochelle Walensky; Fiscal Year: 2005..Rochelle Walensky with a firm basis for career development as an independent, patient-oriented clinical researcher at the interface of these critical areas. ..
- HIV Testing as a Structural InterventionWilliam Woods; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results could support designing a controlled clinical trial to test the efficacy of an on-site HIV testing program as a structural intervention to reduce high-risk behavior in clubs. ..
- Brief Intervention for Drug Misuse for the Emergency Department (BIDMED)Ted D Nirenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Further, the epidemiology of illicit and/or prescription drug misuse will be assessed in a random sample of ED patients. ..
- Optimizing strategies for universal HIV testingRochelle Walensky; Fiscal Year: 2007..The scientific basis for early detection of HIV infection and aggressive linkage to care has been successfully laid. The challenge now is to identify effective, affordable, and cost-effective implementation mechanisms. ..
- Organizational Factors in the Early Detection of HIVOscar Grusky; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- HIV Related Stigma among Service Providers in ChinaLi Li; Fiscal Year: 2005..These data will prepare the team to conduct a randomized controlled trial across different levels of health care providers in China. ..
- The Impact of Neighborhoods, Networks and Depression on Drug Users' HIV RisksCarl Latkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition to survey data, observer ratings of neighborhoods, police crime reports, and census data will be collected. Hierarchical Linear Modeling and Structural Equations Modeling will be used for data analysis. ..
- Cost-Effectiveness of Preventing Acute-Phase HIV TransmissionSteven Pinkerton; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results will inform scientific and policy discussions on the importance of interventions to reduce acute-phase transmission. ..
- NRSA Postdoctoral Training Program in HIV PreventionSteven Pinkerton; Fiscal Year: 2007..We believe that this combination of close mentorship by experienced HIV prevention researchers and multiple opportunities for "hands on" research experiences is essential to train fellows to become productive independent investigators. ..
- Integrating Prenatal Care to Reduce HIV/STDs Among Teens: A Translational StudyJeannette Ickovics; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Family-to-Family: Psychoeducation to Improve Children's Outcomes in HIV+ FamiliesMARY ROTHERAM BORUS; Fiscal Year: 2006..The primary outcomes are school-age children's social, behavioral and mental health status. HIV+ parent's and family caregivers' health mental health, parenting skills, and family bonds are intermediate outcomes. ..
- IMPACT OF AIDS ON ADOLESCENTS TRANSITION TO ADULTHOODMARY ROTHERAM BORUS; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- DISCRIMINATION, HEALTH CARE ATTITUDES AND HIV TREATMENTLaura Bogart; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- EVALUATION OF TREATMENT ADVOCACY IN INVOLVING PATIENTS IN HIV CARELaura Bogart; Fiscal Year: 2007..S., as well as policy efforts ultimately aimed at improving the health of people with HIV. ..
- Family-to-Family: Psychoeducation to Improve Children's Outcomes in HIV+ FamiliesLi Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..HIV+ parent's and family caregivers' health mental health, parenting skills, and family bonds are intermediate outcomes. ..
- DISCRIMINATION, HEALTH CARE ATTITUDES AND HIV TREATMENTLaura Bogart; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- POL and Access Intervention to Reduce HIV Stigma among Service Providers in ChinaLi Li; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed study will be the first randomized controlled intervention trial that specifically targets stigma and access to universal precautions in medical settings, and is implemented at multiple sites (two provinces) in China. ..
- Integrating Prenatal Care to Reduce HIV/STDs Among Teens: A Translational StudyJeannette R Ickovics; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- RCT of Russian IDU Peer Network HIV Prevent InterventionCarl Latkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Implementation, Effectiveness, and Cost-Effectiveness of an HIV InterventionSTEVEN D contact PINKERTON; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Impact of malnutrition on TB-IRIS and pharmacokinetics of TB and ARV co-treatmentAnnelies Van Rie; Fiscal Year: 2010..In these children, we will also study the use of rifabutin, a drug used in U.S. adults with TB and HIV. The results of the research have the potential to substantially improve the management of children with TB and HIV. ..
- Pediatric HIV-encephalopathy in DRC: effect of ART & role of compartmentalizationAnnelies Van Rie; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- A Network Intervention for Reducing Sexual Risk for HIV with African American MSMCarl Latkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Urinalysis of gonorrhea and chlamydia at baseline and follow-up will be used as additional measures of sex risk. We will also assess potential diffusion of intervention effects to participants' social network members. ..
- HIV Prevention and Adherence Intervention for HIV Positives and Partners in IndiaCarl Latkin; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: This proposal has high public relevance due to the low rates of HIV medication adherence found in many impoverished communities domestically and internationally. ..
- Cost-Effectiveness of Preventing Acute-Phase HIV TransmissionSteven Pinkerton; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results will inform scientific and policy discussions on the importance of interventions to reduce acute-phase transmission. ..
- Impact of malnutrition on TB-IRIS and pharmacokinetics of TB and ARV co-treatmentAnnelies Van Rie; Fiscal Year: 2009..In these children, we will also study the use of rifabutin, a drug used in U.S. adults with TB and HIV. The results of the research have the potential to substantially improve the management of children with TB and HIV. ..
- NRSA Postdoctoral Training Program in HIV PreventionSteven Pinkerton; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Medical Mistrust, Social Networks, and Disparities in HIV Care Among BlacksLaura Bogart; Fiscal Year: 2009..No research to date has used a social network approach to understanding the flow of HIV-related information and misconceptions among people with HIV. ..
- The Impact of Neighborhoods, Networks and Depression on Drug Users' HIV RisksCarl A Latkin; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition to survey data, observer ratings of neighborhoods, police crime reports, and census data will be collected. Hierarchical Linear Modeling and Structural Equations Modeling will be used for data analysis. ..
- HIV/STD PREVENTION COST-EFFECTIVENESS: METHODS & APPLICSSteven Pinkerton; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Simulation Tool for HIV/STD Cost-Effectiveness AnalysisSteven Pinkerton; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- THE LONG-TERM IMPACT OF A NETWORK OUTREACH INTERVENTIONCarl Latkin; Fiscal Year: 2002..The data will also used to examine associations between characteristics of sex partners and personal networks to describe sexual mixing patterns of this population. ..
- COST-EFFECTIVENESS OF HIV PRIMARY PREVENTIONSteven Pinkerton; Fiscal Year: 2001..Upon completion of the analyses we will summarize and widely disseminate the results. ..
- Network HIV Prevention Intervention for Drug UsersCarl Latkin; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Neurodevelopment and HIV/AIDSAnnelies Van Rie; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- POL and Access Intervention to Reduce HIV Stigma among Service Providers in ChinaLi Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed study will be the first randomized controlled intervention trial that specifically targets stigma and access to universal precautions in medical settings, and is implemented at multiple sites (two provinces) in China. ..