Genomes and Genes
Summary: Tests that are dependent on the clumping of cells, microorganisms, or particles when mixed with specific antiserum. (From Stedman, 26th ed)
Publications229 found, 100 shown here
- The serodiagnosis of infection with Salmonella typhiH Chart
Laboratory of Enteric Pathogens, Division of Gastrointestinal Infections, Central Public Health Laboratory, 61 Colindale Avenue, London, NW9 5HT, UK
J Clin Pathol 53:851-3. 2000..In this study, 91 sera were used to assess the reliability of the Widal agglutination assay based on antibodies to the Vi antigens...
- Development of a fast agglutination screening test (FAST) for the detection of anti-Leishmania antibodies in dogsH D F H Schallig
Koninklijk Institut voor de Tropen, Biomedical Research, Meibergdreef 39, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Vet Parasitol 109:1-8. 2002..Moreover, the FAST allows the rapid screening of a large number of samples, which makes the test very useful for epidemiological screening of large populations of dogs...
- Seroepidemiological survey of Leishmania infantum infection in dogs from northeastern PortugalSusana Sousa
Parasite Disease Group, Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Portugal
Acta Trop 120:82-7. 2011..2%) and those living in a mixed habitat (27.5%). Risk factors for canine Leishmania infection, as defined by multiple logistic regression analysis, were of clinical status (odds ratio [OR] = 3.1) and Toxoplasma infection (OR = 1.5)...
- Low seroprevalence of Leishmania infantum infection in cats from northern Portugal based on DAT and ELISALuis Cardoso
Department of Veterinary Sciences, University of Tras os Montes e Alto Douro, P O Box 1013, 5001 801 Vila Real, Portugal
Vet Parasitol 174:37-42. 2010..Nevertheless, Leishmania infection must not be underestimated and leishmaniasis may be included in the differential diagnosis of cutaneous or systemic clinical signs in cats...
- Longitudinal seroepidemiologic study of visceral leishmaniasis in hyperendemic regions of Bihar, IndiaKamlesh Gidwani
Department of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Am J Trop Med Hyg 80:345-6. 2009..However, there was no significant difference in disease conversion among children (5-15 years of age) and adults (> 15 years of age). Seropositivity among asymptomatic persons is not a predictor for development of VL...
- Validation of the specificity of the modified agglutination test for toxoplasmosis in pigsJ P Dubey
Parasite Biology and Epidemiology Laboratory, US Department of Agriculture, Beltsville, MD 20705 2350, USA
Vet Parasitol 71:307-10. 1997..Antibodies were also not found in 1:25 dilution of sera from 200 naturally aborted fetal pigs. Thus, evidence for cross reactivity to T. gondii with unrelated or related organisms using the MAT was not found...
- Antibody recognition of Plasmodium falciparum erythrocyte surface antigens in Kenya: evidence for rare and prevalent variantsP C Bull
Kenya Medical Research Institute CGMRC, Kilifi Unit, Kilifi, Kenya
Infect Immun 67:733-9. 1999..These results support the idea that preexisting anti-PfEMP1 antibodies can select the variants that are expressed during a new infection and may suggest the existence of a dominant subset of PfEMP1 variants...
- Epidemiology and clinical manifestations of Leishmania donovani infection in two villages in an endemic area in eastern SudanE A G Khalil
Institute of Endemic Diseases, University of Khartoum, Khartoum, Sudan
Trop Med Int Health 7:35-44. 2002....
- Detection of pathogenic Leptospira from selected environment in Kelantan and Terengganu, MalaysiaF R Ridzlan
Department of Veterinary Pathology and Microbiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Universiti Putra Malaysia 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Trop Biomed 27:632-8. 2010..Pathogenic leptospires can be detected in Malaysian environment and this has the potential to cause an outbreak. Therefore, precautionary steps against leptospirosis should be taken by camp authorities to ensure the safety of trainees...
- Detection of antibodies against Sarcocystis neurona, Neospora spp., and Toxoplasma gondii in horses from Costa RicaS Dangoudoubiyam
Department of Veterinary Science, Maxwell H Gluck Equine Research Center, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40546 0099, USA
J Parasitol 97:522-4. 2011..neurona antibodies in horses from geographical areas where Didelphis marsupialis has wide distribution suggests that D. marsupialis is a potential definitive host for this parasite and a source of infection for these horses...
- Value of a single-tube widal test in diagnosis of typhoid fever in VietnamC M Parry
Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Unit, Cho Quan Hospital, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
J Clin Microbiol 37:2882-6. 1999..However, 14% of the positive results would be false-positive, and 10% of the negative results would be false-negative. The Widal test can be helpful in the laboratory diagnosis of typhoid fever in Vietnam if interpreted with care...
- Genotyping of Toxoplasma gondii isolates from chickens from IndiaC Sreekumar
United States Department of Agriculture, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Agricultural Research Service, Beltsville, MD 20705 2350, USA
Vet Parasitol 118:187-94. 2003..Microsatellite analysis revealed allelic differences between and within the lineages. This is the first report of genetic characterization of any T. gondii isolate from India...
- Evaluation of the Widal tube agglutination test for the diagnosis of typhoid fever among children admitted to a rural hdospital in Tanzania and a comparison with previous studiesBenedikt Ley
International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, Korea
BMC Infect Dis 10:180. 2010..typhi). However, a more rapid, simpler, and cheaper diagnostic method would be very useful especially in developing countries. The Widal test is widely used in Africa but little information exists about its reliability...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in equids from Southern SpainI García-Bocanegra
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Córdoba Agrifood Excellence International Campus ceiA3, Cordoba, Spain
Parasitol Int 61:421-4. 2012..gondii infection in donkeys in Europe. The presence of antibodies is indication of contact with the parasite and therefore, consumption of equine meat could be a potential source of human infection in Spain...
- Usefulness of the rK39-immunochromatographic test, direct agglutination test, and leishmanin skin test for detecting asymptomatic Leishmania infection in children in a new visceral leishmaniasis focus in Amhara State, EthiopiaEndalamaw Gadisa
Armauer Hansen Research Institute, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:792-8. 2012..1% (61 of 605). We conclude that the best option to detect asymptomatic infection in this new visceral leishmaniasis-endemic focus is the combined use of the direct agglutination test and the leishmanin skin test...
- Age, acquired immunity and the risk of visceral leishmaniasis: a prospective study in IranC R Davies
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Parasitology 119:247-57. 1999..All current VL patients had a negative leishmanin skin test response. Hence, adults may develop protection against L. infantum through 2 processes, 1 dependent and 1 independent of acquired cell-mediated immunity...
- Cross-sectional survey on Toxoplasma gondii infection in cattle, sheep and pigs in Serbia: seroprevalence and risk factorsIvana Klun
Laboratory for Medical Parasitology, Institute for Medical Research, Dr Subotica 4, P O Box 102, 11129 Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Vet Parasitol 135:121-31. 2006..gondii seroprevalence in meat animals in Serbia, the results of this study show the main risk factors associated with infection, thereby pointing to the type of preventive measures to reduce T. gondii infection...
- Sero-epidemiological study of canine Leishmania spp. infection in the municipality of Alijó (Alto Douro, Portugal)Luis Cardoso
Department of Hygiene and Animal Health, CECAV, University of Tras os Montes e Alto Douro, 5001 911 Vila Real, Portugal
Vet Parasitol 121:21-32. 2004..1%. This study validates the use of B-FP samples and confirms DAT as a simple and sensitive serological test to evaluate the level of canine Leishmania infection in areas of high sero-prevalence...
- Serological markers for leishmania donovani infection in Nepal: Agreement between direct agglutination test and rK39 ELISABasudha Khanal
B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
Trop Med Int Health 15:1390-4. 2010..The agreement between both tests was moderate (j = 0.53; 95% CI 0.49–0.57). More research is needed to develop validated markers for Leishmania infection...
- Beta-mercaptoethanol-modified ELISA for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasisElfadil M Abass
Ahfad University for Women, PO Box 167, and Omdurman Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Omdurman, Sudan
J Med Microbiol 55:1193-6. 2006....
- Optimizing typhoid fever case definitions by combining serological tests in a large population study in Hechi City, ChinaB Dong
Guangxi Center for Disease Prevention and Control, Nanning, Guangxi, China
Epidemiol Infect 135:1014-20. 2007..Improved case detection is essential to understand the true disease burden and can help to boost the power of intervention trials...
- Evaluation of Brucellacapt for the diagnosis of human brucellosisM A Casao
Experimental Research Unit, General Hospital of Albacete, C Hermanos Falcó s n, 02006 Albacete, Spain
J Infect 49:102-8. 2004..To evaluate the role of Brucellacapt in the diagnosis of human brucellosis, and the correlation with the evolution of the disease...
- Persistence of anti-leptospiral IgM, IgG and agglutinating antibodies in patients presenting with acute febrile illness in Barbados 1979-1989P Cumberland
Infectious Disease Epidemiology Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Eur J Epidemiol 17:601-8. 2001..This study demonstrates that in endemic areas where seroprevalence is high, use of a single elevated titre is not reliable to define a current infection...
- Dog-DAT: a direct agglutination test using stabilized, freeze-dried antigen for the serodiagnosis of canine visceral leishmaniasisL Oskam
Royal Tropical Institute, Department of Biomedical Research, Amsterdam, Netherlands
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 16:235-9. 1996..With a cut-off value of 1:640, the sensitivity of the DAT was shown to be 100% and the specificity of the test was 98.8%...
- Evaluation of a glycerol-preserved antigen in the direct agglutination test for diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis at rural level in eastern SudanMohamed el Mutasim
Ahfad University for Women, PO Box 167, Omdurman, Sudan
J Med Microbiol 55:1343-7. 2006....
- Visceral leishmaniasis in southeastern Nepal: a cross-sectional survey on Leishmania donovani infection and its risk factorsKarl Schenkel
Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 11:1792-9. 2006..To document the frequency of Leishmania donovani infection at community level in a highly endemic region in southeastern Nepal, and to assess socioeconomic and environmental risk factors...
- Detection of antibodies against Leptospira serovars via microscopic agglutination tests in dogs in the United States, 2000-2007Raju Gautam
Department of Comparative Pathobiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 237:293-8. 2010To use results of microscopic agglutination tests (MATs) conducted at a commercial veterinary diagnostic laboratory to determine temporal and demographic distributions of positive serologic test results for leptospirosis in dogs and ..
- High prevalence of pathogenic Leptospira in wild and domesticated animals in an endemic area of ChinaWang Yalin
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, Institutes of Medical Sciences, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200025, China
Asian Pac J Trop Med 4:841-5. 2011..To assess the prevalence of Leptospira detected in wildlife and domesticated animals in Jiangxi Province, China, in...
- Prevalence of antibodies against Toxoplasma gondii and Neospora caninum in Hungarian red foxes (Vulpes vulpes)Eva Britt Jakubek
Department of Parasitology SWEPAR, National Veterinary Institute, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, SE 751 89 Uppsala, Sweden
Vet Parasitol 144:39-44. 2007..The high prevalence of foxes positive for T. gondii might be explained by the widespread occurrence of the parasite in the diet of foxes. As a contrast, latent infections of N. caninum among red foxes in Hungary are much less common...
- High prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in a commercial flock of chickens in Israel, and public health implications of free-range farmingJ P Dubey
Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, BARC East, Beltsville, MD 20705 2350, USA
Vet Parasitol 121:317-22. 2004..Seventeen of the 19 isolates genotyped were found to be type II, and 2 were type III. Understanding of the sources of infection on such farms could be the key to the development of better prevention strategies...
- Platelet-mediated clumping of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes is a common adhesive phenotype and is associated with severe malariaA Pain
Nuffield Department of Clinical Laboratory Sciences, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, United Kindgom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:1805-10. 2001..Precise definition of the molecular basis of this intriguing adhesive phenotype may help to elucidate the complex pathophysiology of malaria...
- Effect of insecticide-impregnated dog collars on incidence of zoonotic visceral leishmaniasis in Iranian children: a matched-cluster randomised trialA S Mazloumi Gavgani
Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Lancet 360:374-9. 2002....
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in pet dogs in Lanzhou, Northwest ChinaSong Ming Wu
State Key Laboratory of Veterinary Etiological Biology, Key Laboratory of Veterinary Parasitology of Gansu Province, Lanzhou Veterinary Research Institute, CAAS, Lanzhou, Gansu Province, PR China
Parasit Vectors 4:64. 2011..However, little is known about the prevalence of T. gondii in pet dogs in Northwest China. In the present study, the prevalence of T. gondii in pet dogs in Lanzhou, China was investigated using the modified agglutination test (MAT)...
- Multi-centre evaluation of repeatability and reproducibility of the direct agglutination test for visceral leishmaniasisM Boelaert
Department of Public Health, Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 4:31-7. 1999..To evaluate the repeatability and reproducibility of the serological direct agglutination test (DAT) for visceral leishmaniasis (VL) with aqueous antigen in a multi-centre study in VL-endemic areas in Sudan, Kenya and Nepal...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infection in household and stray cats in Lanzhou, northwest ChinaSong Ming Wu
College of Veterinary Medicine, Gansu Agricultural University, Lanzhou, Gansu Province, PR China
Parasit Vectors 4:214. 2011..gondii infection in cats was available in Lanzhou, northwest China. This study was performed to determine the seroprevalence of T. gondii infection in household and stray cats in Lanzhou, northwest China...
- Cost-effectiveness of competing diagnostic-therapeutic strategies for visceral leishmaniasisM Boelaert
Unit of Epidemiology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Bull World Health Organ 77:667-74. 1999..The use of a sensitive serological test such as the DAT is recommended as the basis of test-treatment strategies for visceral leishmaniasis in areas where the disease is endemic...
- Comparison of an rK39 dipstick rapid test with direct agglutination test and splenic aspiration for the diagnosis of kala-azar in SudanHans Veeken
Medecins Sans Frontieres Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Trop Med Int Health 8:164-7. 2003..The rK39 dipstick is a good screening test for kala-azar; but further development is required before it can replace the DAT as a diagnostic test in endemic areas of the Sudan...
- Diagnosing visceral leishmaniasis with the recombinant K39 strip test: experience from the SudanE E Zijlstra
Institute of Endemic Diseases, University of Khartoum, Sudan
Trop Med Int Health 6:108-13. 2001..The rK39 strip test has the ideal format for use in the field, but its sensitivity is limited; like DAT, but to a lesser extent, it remains positive after treatment...
- Endemic toxoplasmosis in pigs on a farm in Maryland: isolation and genetic characterization of Toxoplasma gondiiJ P Dubey
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Building 1001, Beltsville, Maryland 20705 2350, USA
J Parasitol 94:36-41. 2008..Both genotypes 1 and 2 are considered to belong to the clonal type II lineages. Genotype 3 and 4 are nonclonal isolates. Results document high prevalence of T. gondii in pigs on a farm in Maryland...
- Platelet-mediated clumping of Plasmodium falciparum infected erythrocytes is associated with high parasitemia but not severe clinical manifestations of malaria in African childrenMonica Arman
Institute of Immunology and Infection Research, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:943-6. 2007..001) but not with disease category (F(2,122) = 1.8, P = 0.17). Therefore platelet-mediated clumping in Malian P. falciparum isolates is primarily associated with high parasitemia and not with severe clinical manifestations of malaria...
- Biologic and molecular characterization of Toxoplasma gondii isolates from pigs from PortugalSusana de Sousa
Center for Parasite Immunology and Biology, INSA, Rua de S Luis 16, 4000 509 Porto, Portugal
Vet Parasitol 135:133-6. 2006..The results indicate that phenotypically and genetically T. gondii are similar to isolates from pigs from the U.S...
- Seroepidemiology of canine leptospirosis on the island of BarbadosC C Weekes
Leptospira Laboratory, St Michael, Barbados
Vet Microbiol 57:215-22. 1997..The high seroprevalence in dogs is of public health concern because the close contact between dogs and man may provide the link between a reservoir in the environment and susceptible humans...
- Serological and parasitological prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in wild birds from ColoradoJ P Dubey
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Building 1001, Beltsville, Maryland 20705 2350, USA
J Parasitol 96:937-9. 2010..This is the first time T. gondii has been isolated from the barn owl, ferruginous hawk, rough-legged hawk, and Swainson's hawk...
- Usefulness of the direct agglutination test in the early detection of subclinical Leishmania donovani infection: a community-based studyS Bimal
Division of Immunology, Rajendra Memorial Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Agamkuan, Patna 800007, India
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 99:743-9. 2005..8% v. 30.8%). The wide-spread use of DAT could allow the detection and early treatment of latent L. donovani infections and so contribute to the elimination of VL, at least as a public-health problem, from India...
- Comparison of a dipstick assay for detection of Brucella-specific immunoglobulin M antibodies with other tests for serodiagnosis of human brucellosisEncarnacion Clavijo
Microbiology Unit, HCU Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga, Spain
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 10:612-5. 2003..Under laboratory conditions this test has the advantage of being quick and IgM antibody-specific...
- The sensitivity and specificity of Brucella agglutination testsAli Mert
Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Istanbul, Turkey
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 46:241-3. 2003..In this study, we aimed to determine the positivity rate of Brucella agglutination tests in the culture-positive brucellosis and in diseases mimicking brucellosis clinically...
- Epidemiological study of kala-azar by direct agglutination test in two rural communities of eastern NepalS Koirala
Department of Internal Medicine, B P Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal
Trop Med Int Health 9:533-7. 2004..The results of this study show the potential of the DAT on filter paper as a screening test for the surveillance of kala-azar at a community level...
- Risk factors for Brucella seropositivity in goat herds in eastern and western UgandaE K Kabagambe
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Makerere University, P O Box 7062, Kampala, Uganda
Prev Vet Med 52:91-108. 2001..The distribution of the above risk factors by brucellosis herd-status (as defined by the second criterion) is also presented...
- Prevalence of antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii in the sera of rare wildlife in the Shanghai Zoological Garden, People's Republic of ChinaS Y Zhang
Parasitic Diseases Department, Shanghai Municipal Center for Diseases Prevention and Control, Shanghai 200031, PR China
Parasitol Int 49:171-4. 2000..7%) of 98 animals tested by protein A ELISA were sero-positive. By ELISA, T. gondii antibodies were found in none of 36 birds, in 33.3% (4/12) of primates, in 87.1% (27/31) of carnivores and in 10.5% (2/19) of herbivores...
- Comparison of Coombs' and immunocapture-agglutination tests in the diagnosis of brucellosisNurittin Ardic
Department of Microbiology and Clinical Microbiology, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Istanbul 81327, Turkey
Chin Med J (Engl) 118:252-4. 2005
- Direct agglutination test with urine samples for the diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasisMohammad Zahidul Islam
Department of Parasitology, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine, Nagakute, Japan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 70:78-82. 2004..3%). A urine-based DAT has several advantages over the conventional DAT: sample collection is non-invasive and it can process larger numbers of samples with smaller amounts of antigen...
- Toxoplasma gondii and Neospora caninum antibodies in dogs from Grenada, West IndiesJ P Dubey
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland 20705 2350, USA
J Parasitol 94:750-1. 2008..Two of the 107 dogs had N. caninum antibodies (IFAT titers 1:100 and 1:400); these dogs had T. gondii titers of 1:1,600 and 1:50, respectively. Results indicate that these 2 structurally similar protozoa are antigenically different...
- Comparison of the diagnostic value of local Widal slide test with imported Widal slide testIndro Handojo
Department of Clinical Pathology, Medical Faculty, Airlangga University Dr Soetomo Hospital, Surabaya, Indonesia
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 35:366-70. 2004..The cost of local antigens is lower than the imported antigens. Based on these data, the Widal SAT-MJD has a reliable diagnostic value and can be used in small laboratories, such as primary health centers (Puskesmas)...
- Identification of the capsular polysaccharides in Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolates by PCR and agglutination testsIsabelle Verdier
INSERM, E0230, Lyon, F 69008, France
J Clin Microbiol 45:725-9. 2007..All S. aureus clinical isolates included in the present study have been investigated by PCR method, demonstrating that all isolates carried either the cap5 or the cap8 locus...
- [Typhoid fever in north Lebanon: a 8-year study (1992-1999) using the Widal test]M Hamze
Université Libanaise, Faculté de Santé Publique, Tripoli, Liban
East Mediterr Health J 10:180-6. 2004..However with over 100 cases annually, typhoid is endemic in the area and could cause major outbreaks. The monthly analysis shows that we have an increase in summer, whilst a decrease is observed in winter...
- Evaluation of an immunocapture-agglutination test (Brucellacapt) for serodiagnosis of human brucellosisA Orduña
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Medicina, Valladolid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 38:4000-5. 2000..In contrast, Brucellacapt and Coombs titers are always high (>/=1/640) in brucellosis with long evolution, whether SAT titers are higher or lower than 1/160...
- Comparison of a slide agglutination test, LeptoTek Dri-Dot, and IgM-ELISA with microscopic agglutination test for Leptospira antibody detectionChintana Chirathaworn
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 38:1111-4. 2007..MAT can be performed as a reference test and when information regarding the causative serovar is required...
- PCR and direct agglutination as Leishmania infection markers among healthy Nepalese subjects living in areas endemic for Kala-AzarNarayan Raj Bhattarai
Unit of Molecular Parasitology, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerpen, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 14:404-11. 2009..To compare a PCR assay and direct agglutination test (DAT) for the detection of potential markers of Leishmania infection in 231 healthy subjects living in a kala-azar endemic focus of Nepal...
- Seroepidemiology of Toxoplasma gondii in zoo animals in selected zoos in the midwestern United StatesSilvia de Camps
Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210 1092, USA
J Parasitol 94:648-53. 2008..22, p = 0.00)...
- Seroprevalences of Toxoplasma gondii and Neospora caninum in Swedish red foxes (Vulpes vulpes)E B Jakubek
Department of Parasitology SWEPAR, National Veterinary Institute, SE 751 89 Uppsala, Sweden
Vet Parasitol 102:167-72. 2001..gondii infection is fairly common in Swedish red foxes and that the infection is present in most parts of the country. They also show that N. caninum is not widespread as a latent infection among red foxes in Sweden...
- First isolation and molecular characterization of Toxoplasma gondii from finishing pigs from São Paulo State, BrazilCláudia B de A Dos Santos
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria Preventiva, Faculdade de Ciências Agrárias e Veterinárias da Universidade Estadual Paulista, Jaboticabal, SP, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 131:207-11. 2005..The results indicate that phenotypically and genetically T. gondii isolates from pigs from Brazil are distinct from isolates of T. gondii from pigs in the USA...
- Toxoplasma gondii isolates from free-range chickens from the northeast region of BrazilL N De Oliveira
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria Preventiva e Saude Animal, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Parasitol 95:235-7. 2009..Five isolates killed all infected mice. Results indicate widespread contamination of rural environment in Brazil with T. gondii oocysts...
- A community-based, comparative evaluation of direct agglutination and rK39 strip tests in the early detection of subclinical Leishmania donovani infectionP K Sinha
Rajendra Memorial Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Agamkuan, Patna 800 007, Bihar, India
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 102:119-25. 2008In the Indian state of Bihar, the sensitivities and specificities of direct agglutination tests (DAT) and rK39 test strips for the detection of Leishmania donovani infection in humans were explored and found to be generally good (92%-100%..
- The performance of direct agglutination tests (DAT) in the diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis among Ethiopian patients with HIV co-infectionA Hailu
Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:25-30. 2002..The performance of direct agglutination tests (DAT) in the diagnosis of VL in 103 Ethiopian patients with or without HIV infection was therefore ..
- Comparison of the Brucella Standard Agglutination Test with the ELISA IgG and IgM in patients with Brucella bacteremiaZ A Memish
Department of Medicine, King Fahad National Guard Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 44:129-32. 2002..The positive predictive value of SAT and IgM is satisfactory...
- Comparative evaluation of freeze-dried and liquid antigens in the direct agglutination test for serodiagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis (ITMA-DAT/VL)Diane Jacquet
Applied Technology and Production Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
Trop Med Int Health 11:1777-84. 2006..We evaluated a DAT with freeze-dried (FD) antigen and compared it with the LQ antigen version...
- High prevalence of viable Toxoplasma gondii infection in market weight pigs from a farm in MassachusettsJ P Dubey
Parasite Biology, Epidemiology and Systematics Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Beltsville Agricultural Research Center East, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Parasitol 88:1234-8. 2002..Results indicate that until examination of meat for T. gondii infection is implemented in slaughterhouses, all meat should be cooked according to industry guidelines before human consumption...
- Evaluation of surveillance case definition in the diagnosis of leptospirosis, using the Microscopic Agglutination Test: a validation studyDinesh L B Dassanayake
Teaching Hospital Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka
BMC Infect Dis 9:48. 2009..This study was aimed at validating the leptospirosis surveillance case definition, using the Microscopic Agglutination Test (MAT)...
- High seroprevalence of antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii in wild animals from PortugalAna Patrícia Lopes
Department of Veterinary Sciences, University of Tras os Montes e Alto Douro, P O Box 1013, 5001 801 Vila Real, Portugal
Parasitol Res 108:1163-9. 2011..100), 80.0% in female and 66.7% in male birds (p=1.000), and 81.8% in female and 100% in male mammals (p=0.479). This is the first study performed on T. gondii in birds of prey, white storks, and wild carnivores in Portugal...
- Leptospirosis in febrile men ingesting Agouti paca in South AmericaM S Silverman
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 98:851-9. 2004..0007). In Guyana at least, leptospirosis appears to be common among men who hunt, prepare and ingest AP. Vaccines may be the best, practical form of protection among such men...
- Evaluation of three newly developed enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays and two agglutination tests for detecting Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica serovar dublin infections in dairy cattleJ Veling
Animal Health Service, 9200 AJ Drachten, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 38:4402-7. 2000..enterica serovar Dublin were evaluated and compared with two agglutination tests. The ELISAs involved were an indirect ELISA with serovar Dublin lipopolysaccharide (LPS ELISA), an indirect ..
- Serological prevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in free-range chickens from Costa RicaE Abrahams-Sandi
Department of Parasitology, University of Costa Rica, San Pedro Mts Oca
Trop Anim Health Prod 37:369-72. 2005
- Evaluation of MAT, IgM ELISA and PCR methods for the diagnosis of human leptospirosisMárcia Costa Ooteman
Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais Av Antonio Carlos, 6627, CP 486, CEP 31270 901, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
J Microbiol Methods 65:247-57. 2006..A relevant finding in our study was the number of positive cases verified by PCR (13-29%) and IgM ELISA (3-7%) among the 45 unconfirmed cases by MAT, demonstrating the value of PCR in the early diagnosis of human leptospirosis...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii antibodies in captive mithuns (Bos frontalis) from IndiaS Rajkhowa
National Research Centre on Mithun, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Jharnapani, Dimapur, Nagaland 797106, India
Vet Parasitol 135:369-74. 2006..The seroprevalence was higher in farm located at lower altitude (305 m a.s.l.) than the farm located at higher altitude (2134 m a.s.l.). This is the first serologic survey for T. gondii antibodies performed on mithuns from India...
- Serologic survey for Toxoplasma gondii and Neospora caninum in the common brushtail possum (Trichosurus vulpecula) from urban Sydney, AustraliaJutta Eymann
Macquarie University, Department of Biological Sciences, North Ryde, New South Wales 2109, Australia
J Parasitol 92:267-72. 2006..caninum agglutination test, indicating that T. vulpecula may not have been exposed to this parasite. This is the first serological survey for T. gondii and N. caninum infections in urban T. vulpecula...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii antibodies in free-ranging mithuns (Bos frontalis) from IndiaS Rajkhowa
National Research Centre on Mithun, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Jharnapani, Nagaland, India
Zoonoses Public Health 55:320-2. 2008..The study also revealed that the maximum number (57%) of animals with the highest titre (1 : 3200) were above 3 years of age. This is the first serological survey for Toxoplasma gondii antibodies in free-ranging mithuns from India...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in farm-reared ostriches and wild game species from ZimbabweT Hove
Department of Paraclinical Veterinary Studies, University of Zimbabwe, Mount Pleasant, Harare
Acta Trop 94:49-53. 2005..Attempts to isolate T. gondii from the heart muscles of seropositve ostriches by subinoculation in BALB/c mice were unsuccessful...
- Seroepidemiology of leptospirosis, toxoplasmosis, and leishmaniosis among dogs in Ankara, TurkeyOzkan Aslantas
Mustafa Kemal University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Microbiology, 31040 Antakya Hatay, Turkey
Vet Parasitol 129:187-91. 2005..05). Although the seroprevalence of L. infantum was low, asymptomatic animals should be considered as a reservoir for the spread of the disease...
- Zoonotic toxoplasmosis in chickenAhmed K Deyab
Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 35:341-50. 2005..6%) out of 28 positive chickens. These tissue cysts were found mostly in the brain of seropositive chickens. Epidemiological implications of these data for public health significance were discussed...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii in wild pigs (Sus scrofa) from SpainC B L Gauss
Parasitology and Parasitic Diseases, Anatomy and Animal Health Department, Veterinary School, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Bellaterra 08193, Barcelona, Spain
Vet Parasitol 131:151-6. 2005..Serological results indicate a widespread exposure to T. gondii among Spanish wild boars, suggesting that this population could represent a public health risk for persons that handle or consume raw or undercooked infected wild pig meat...
- Evaluation of the recombinant LipL32 in enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the serodiagnosis of bovine leptospirosisMaria Rosa Quaresma Bomfim
Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Av Antonio Carlos, 6627 Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Vet Microbiol 109:89-94. 2005..Anaplasma sp. and Brucella sp. and no cross-reaction was observed. The recombinant LipL32 IgG ELISA can be an alternative to the MAT for diagnosis of leptospiral infection in cattle...
- Sero-epidemiological survey for toxoplasmosis in wild New World monkeys (Cebus spp.; Alouatta caraya) at the Paraná river basin, Paraná State, BrazilJoão Luis Garcia
Microbiology and Immunology Laboratory, Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Estadual do Centro Oeste UNICENTRO, R Simeão Camargo Varela de Sá, 03, Bairro Cascavel, 85040 080 Guarapuava, PR, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 133:307-11. 2005..05). The present work is the first report on serum occurrence of anti-T. gondii antibodies in wild capuchin monkeys and in wild black and golden howler monkeys...
- Prevalence of antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii in raccoons (Procyon lotor) from an urban area of Northern VirginiaKatie Hancock
Center for Molecular Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, 1410 Prices Fork Road, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061 0342, USA
J Parasitol 91:694-5. 2005..gondii. Our results indicate that raccoons in this area of Virginia are frequently exposed to T. gondii. Domestic cats were common in the study area and may have served as a source of oocysts for raccoons and the food items of raccoons...
- Serological evidence of the persistence of infection with Leptospira interrogans serovar Hardjo in cattle in MongoliaNamsraijav Odontsetseg
Department of Disease Control, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Kita 18, Nishi 9, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060 0818, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 49:865-9. 2005....
- Study of Toxoplasma infection in Brazilian wild mammals: serological evidence in Dasypus novemcinctus Linnaeus, 1758 and Euphractus sexcinctus Wagler, 1830Aristeu Vieira da Silva
Grupo de Pesquisa em Parasitologia, Universidade Paranaense UNIPAR, Praça Mascarenhas de Moraes, s n Centro 87502210, Umuarama, Parana, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 135:81-3. 2006..T. gondii was isolated in two 6-banded armadillos, one of which was not positive in the serological test...
- Toxoplasma gondii: comparison of a rhoptry-ELISA with IFAT and MAT for antibody detection in sera of experimentally infected pigsJoão Luis Garcia
Microbiology and Immunology Laboratory, Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Estadual do Centro Oeste UNICENTRO, R Simeão Camargo Varela de Sá, Bairro Cascavel, Guarapuava, PR, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 113:100-5. 2006Indirect ELISA and IFAT have been reported to be more sensitive and specific than agglutination tests. However, MAT is cheaper, easier than the others and does not need special equipment...
- Prevalence of agglutinating antibodies to Toxoplasma gondii and Sarcocystis neurona in beavers (Castor canadensis) from MassachusettsCarly N Jordan
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg 24061 0342, USA
J Parasitol 91:1228-9. 2005..The samples were tested at dilutions of 1:25, 1:50, and 1:100 against each parasite antigen by modified agglutination tests to determine whether antibodies to either parasite were present in the blood...
- Screening of patients with acute febrile illness for leptospirosis using clinical criteria and serologyP Rao
Department of Medical Microbiology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Natl Med J India 18:244-6. 2005..We assessed the usefulness of clinical criteria and compared these with enzyme-linked immunosorbentassay (ELISA) for the early detection of leptospirosis...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii antibodies in cats and pigs from rural Western Amazon, BrazilG T Cavalcante
Núcleo Avançado de Pesquisas, Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas V, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Rua Francisco Prestes 1234, Monte Negro Rondônia, CEP 78965 000, Brazil
J Parasitol 92:863-4. 2006..gondii infection for humans and cats. However, the high seroprevalence of T. gondii in cats from the Amazon seems most likely to be indicative of high contamination of the environment by oocysts...
- Diagnosis of leptospirosis and comparison of ELISA and MAT techniquesSummaiya Mulla
Department of Microbiology, Government Medical College, New Civil Hospital, Majura Gate, Surat, Gujarat
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 49:468-70. 2006..90%. We concluded that IgM ELISA is rapid test and its results are quite similar to MAT. The most common serovars isolated and identified are L. hebdomadis, L. pyrogenes, L. autumnalis and L. grippotyphosa in this part of the country...
- Development of a Lepto-IgM EIACR test to diagnose leptospirosis disease in Costa Rican patient samplesMaría de los A Valverde
Instituto Costarricense de Investigación y Enseñianza en Nutrición y Salud, INCIENSA, Tres Rios, San Jose, Costa Rica
Invest Clin 48:295-304. 2007..9% and 33% were positive, respectively. The results of the evaluation indicate that Lepto-IgM EIACR test could be a good alternative to detect acute leptospirosis in Costa Rica...
- Serological survey of caprine toxoplasmosis in Ethiopia: prevalence and risk factorsS Teshale
Addis Ababa University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, P O Box 34, Debre Zeit, Ethiopia
Parasite 14:155-9. 2007..The high prevalence of toxoplasmosis in Ethiopian goats suggests a high risk of human infections. Further epidemiological investigation, isolation and genotyping of T. gondii are planned...
- Seroepidemiology of Neospora caninum and Toxoplasma gondii in cattle and water buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis) in the People's Republic of ChinaJinhai Yu
Parasitology Laboratory, Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing, PR China
Vet Parasitol 143:79-85. 2007..05). There was no apparent association of N. caninum seropositivity with age or number of pregnancies. This is the first report on the seroprevalence of N. caninum in cattle and water buffaloes in China...
- Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii, Sarcocystis neurona, and Encephalitozoon cuniculi in three species of lemurs from St. Catherines Island, GA, USAMichael J Yabsley
D B Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Vet Parasitol 144:28-32. 2007..gondii, S. neurona, and E. cuniculi. This is the first detection of antibodies to T. gondii in ring-tailed lemurs and antibodies to S. neurona and E. cuniculi in any species of prosimian...
- Development and validation of a competitive ELISA kit for the serological diagnosis of ovine, caprine and bovine brucellosisO Portanti
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell Abruzzo e, del Molise G Caporale Campo Boario, 64100 Teramo, Italy
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 53:494-8. 2006..Results demonstrated that the Brucella-Ab c-ELISA is a valuable tool for the serological diagnosis of bovine and ovine/caprine brucellosis...
- Risk factors associated with sero-positivity to Toxoplasma gondii in captive neotropical felids from BrazilJean Carlos Ramos Silva
Departamento de Medicina Veterinaria, Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco UFRPE, Dois Irmaos, Recife, PE, Brazil
Prev Vet Med 78:286-95. 2007..75 [2.75; 8.2]), eating meat previously frozen for a period <7 days (OR=2.23 [1.24; 4.01]), and consumption of animals that were run-over or euthanized (OR=1.64; [1.14; 2.37])...
- Serological evidence of leptospiral infection in pig populations in different districts in JapanMichiko Naito
Department of Disease Control, Graduate School of Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido University, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 51:593-9. 2007..In addition, it is the first detection of antibodies to leptospires belonging to serovars Javanica and Tarassovi in pigs in Japan...
- Toxoplasma gondii infection in sheep from Haute-Vienne, France: seroprevalence and isolate genotyping by microsatellite analysisAurélien Dumètre
EA3174, Neuroparasitologie et neuroépidémiologie tropicale, Faculte de Medecine, 2 rue du Dr Marcland, F 87025 Limoges, France
Vet Parasitol 142:376-9. 2006..gondii with a potential risk of parasite transmission to humans by consumption of undercooked meat. Multilocus microsatellite analysis shows the predominance of type II in sheep as previously described in humans...
- Do free-ranging common brushtail possums (Trichosurus vulpecula) play a role in the transmission of Toxoplasma gondii within a zoo environment?N J Hill
Department of Biological Sciences, Division of Environmental and Life Sciences, Macquarie University, Epping Road, North Ryde, NSW 2109, Australia
Vet Parasitol 152:202-9. 2008..These data suggest that carnivory was not a highly efficient pathway for the transmission of T. gondii and the free-ranging possum population posed minimal threat to the health of zoo animals...
- Prevalence of anti-Toxoplasma gondii antibodies in serum and aqueous humor samples from cats with uveitis or systemic diseases in FranceValérie Meunier
Vet Parasitol 138:362-5. 2006..The study reports a similar prevalence of anti-T. gondii antibodies in cats with uveitis and in cats without uveitis in France. Serological results must be analysed carefully and additional diagnostic tools is required...
- Characterization of Toxoplasma gondii from raccoons (Procyon lotor), coyotes (Canis latrans), and striped skunks (Mephitis mephitis) in Wisconsin identified several atypical genotypesJ P Dubey
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Animal and Natural Resources Institute, Animal Parasitic Diseases Laboratory, Building 1001, Beltsville, Maryland 20705, USA
J Parasitol 93:1524-7. 2007..The results indicate the prevalence of T. gondii in wildlife mammals is high and that these animals may serve as an important reservoir for transmission of T. gondii...
- New Materials for Plague Antigen and Antibody DetectionMARY REPPY; Fiscal Year: 2003..Current methods of diagnosis (culture, fluorescent antibody staining, agglutination tests) are slow, complicated, require trained personnel and are not suitable for screening large numbers of ..
- ESCHERICHIA COLI LT-RELATED ENTEROTOXINSRICHARD FINKELSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 1991..to be used: involves; a) immunologic assays (enzyme-linked immunosorption assays (ELISA), latex particle agglutination tests (LPAT), immuno-blotting precipitin and neutralization tests) using polyclonal and monoclonal antibodies; b) ..
- Perpetuation of Francisella tularensisSam R Telford; Fiscal Year: 2010..Taken together, these observations will provide a basis for understanding how the agent of tularemia is perpetuated on Martha's Vineyard, and why pneumonic human disease is prevalent there. ..
- Proximal determinants of risk for tularemia outbreaksSam Telford; Fiscal Year: 2004..tularensis in the environment; and, ultimately, a better understanding of F. tularensis-host interactions. ..
- Immune reactivity to synapsin in the neuropathy and ataxia of celiac diseaseArmin Alaedini; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- OspA and autoimmunity in chronic Lyme diseaseArmin Alaedini; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of specific immune reactivity to an autoantigen might also be useful as a diagnostic marker and for monitoring of disease activity in affected patients. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Carboxylated polysaccharides for drug delivery to the eyeWendy Townsend; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ocular Gel has the potential to improve both the effectiveness of ophthalmic drugs and increase patient compliance, for glaucoma as well as many other ocular conditions. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BIOLOGY AND CONTROL OF LYME DISEASE BORRELIAAlan Barbour; Fiscal Year: 2004..burgdorferi, its transmission, and reservoir host immunize responses. The results may also have relevance for the control of other vector-bone zoonotic diseases and perhaps for development of novel methods for vaccine delivery. ..
- SURFACTANT AND TUBERCULOSIS PATHOGENESISJ Ferguson; Fiscal Year: 2002..tb and the host, and for the principal investigator to become an accomplished independent biomedical investigator. ..
- Immune Responses to Biodefense Vaccines Early in LifeMarcela F Pasetti; Fiscal Year: 2010..It will also provide knowledge to better understand the mechanisms mediating neonatal-infant immunity to develop more effectivevaccines to prevent diseases early in life. ..