- Facing the crisis: improving the diagnosis of tuberculosis in the HIV era
Mark D Perkins
Foundation for Innovative New Diagnostics, Geneva, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 196:S15-27. 2007
..In this article, we will define the need for better TB tests and describe technologies being developed to meet that need...
- Guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of celiac disease in children: recommendations of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
Ivor D Hill
North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Flourtown, PA 19031, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:1-19. 2005
..This document represents the official recommendations of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition on the diagnosis and treatment of celiac disease in children and adolescents...
- Diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis
Department of Medicine, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 105:1-6. 2011
..A simple, rapid, non invasive, accurate and cost effective marker of active VL, which can be used in field conditions, is necessary to improve diagnosis of VL...
- Novel Treponema pallidum serologic tests: a paradigm shift in syphilis screening for the 21st century
Arlene C Sena
Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:700-8. 2010
The mainstay of diagnosis for Treponema pallidum infections is based on nontreponemal and treponemal serologic tests. Many new diagnostic methods for syphilis have been developed, using specific treponemal antigens and novel formats, ..
- The diagnostic accuracy of serologic tests for celiac disease: a systematic review
Gastrointestinal Clinical Research Unit, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Gastroenterology 128:S38-46. 2005
Clinicians are increasingly utilizing noninvasive serologic tests for the diagnosis and screening of celiac disease (CD)...
- Sensitivity and specificity of serologic assays for detection of human infection with 2009 pandemic H1N1 virus in U.S. populations
Influenza Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control andPrevention, 2 Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 49:2210-5. 2011
..S. populations during the first pandemic waves. These studies provide an approach to optimize timely serological investigations for future pandemics or outbreaks of novel influenza viruses among humans...
- Performance of purified antigens for serodiagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis: a meta-analysis
Karen R Steingart
Francis J Curry National Tuberculosis Center, University of California, San Francisco, 3180 18th Street, Suite 101, San Francisco, CA 94110 2028, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 16:260-76. 2009
..The use of a case-control design with healthy controls for the majority of studies was a limitation of the review. Efforts are needed to improve the methodological quality of tuberculosis diagnostic studies...
- Acute West Nile virus neuroinvasive infections: cross-reactivity with dengue virus and tick-borne encephalitis virus
Department of Microbiology, Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Med Virol 83:1861-5. 2011
..There is a need for caution when evaluating serologic results of flaviviral infections, while efforts have to be focused on the development of diagnostic assays with increased specificity...
- West Nile virus: recent trends in diagnosis and vaccine development
AFSSA Alfort, UMR1161 INRA AFSSA ENVA, 23 av Général de Gaulle, 94703 Maisons Alfort Cedex, France
Vaccine 25:5563-76. 2007
..Finally, licensed vaccines and candidate vaccines developed in humans, horses and birds will also been described...
- Chagas disease: recombinant Trypanosoma cruzi antigens for serological diagnosis
J F da Silveira
Dept Micro, Imuno e Parasitologia da Escola Paulista de Medicina, UNIFESP, Rua Botucatu 862, CEP 04023-062, , Brazil
Trends Parasitol 17:286-91. 2001
..Managers of laboratories and blood banks need to make decisions on a cost-benefit basis whether to include these new-generation tests. Here, we indicate antigens that are likely to prove most useful...
- Evaluation of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays, an immunofluorescent-antibody test, and two rapid tests (immunochromatographic-dipstick and gel tests) for serological diagnosis of symptomatic and asymptomatic Leishmania infections in dogs
Institute of Parasitology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 43:5515-9. 2005
..Rapid tests like the rK39 dipstick test or the ID-PaGIA are helpful for confirming clinically suspected cases because of their high specificities in symptomatic animals...
- Predictors of serological cure and Serofast State after treatment in HIV-negative persons with early syphilis
Arlene C Sena
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Clin Infect Dis 53:1092-9. 2011
..Syphilis management requires serological monitoring after therapy. We compared factors associated with serological response after treatment of early (ie, primary, secondary, or early latent) syphilis...
- Use of recombinant calreticulin and cercarial transformation fluid (CTF) in the serodiagnosis of Schistosoma mansoni
Bahaa El Deen Wade El Aswad
Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 9HN, United Kingdom
Immunobiology 216:379-85. 2011
..CTF was substantially more specific than SEA for diagnosis in the endemic region, and less susceptible than SEA to cross-reacting antibody in the sera of controls with other protozoan and metazoan infections...
- Second external quality assurance study for the serological diagnosis of hantaviruses in Europe
ZBS 1, Robert Koch Institute, Berlin, Germany
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1607. 2012
..Uneven performances using the same method is indicating that there is still a need for improving testing conditions and standardizing protocols...
- Use of a nested polymerase chain reaction (N-PCR) to detect Trypanosoma cruzi in blood samples from chronic chagasic patients and patients with doubtful serologies
Gláucia Elisete Barbosa Marcon
Departamento de Clinica Medica, Faculdade de Ciências Médicas Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 43:39-43. 2002
Chagas disease, caused by Trypanosoma cruzi, is an important endemic illness in Latin America. Serologic tests for T. cruzi detection in blood are sensitive, but their specificity is unsatisfactory...
- Improved diagnosis of Strongyloides stercoralis using recombinant antigen-based serologies in a community-wide study in northern Argentina
Alejandro J Krolewiecki
Area de Investigaciones Clinicas, Fundacion Huesped, Pje Peluffo 3932, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:1624-30. 2010
..NIE-LIPS compares favorably against the current CrAg-ELISA and stool evaluation, providing additional accuracy and ease of performance in the serodiagnosis of S. stercoralis infections irrespective of disease prevalence...
- Prospective study of serological conversion as a risk factor for development of leprosy among household contacts
J T Douglas
Department of Microbiology, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:897-900. 2004
..Seropositive household contacts had a significantly higher risk of developing leprosy (relative hazard adjusted for age and sex [aRH], 7.2), notably multibacillary leprosy (aRH = 24), than seronegative contacts...
- Diagnosis and management of human cytomegalovirus infection in the mother, fetus, and newborn infant
Maria Grazia Revello
Servizio di Virologia, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Clin Microbiol Rev 15:680-715. 2002
- An integrated microfluidic system for rapid diagnosis of dengue virus infection
Yu Fang Lee
Department of Engineering Science, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan
Biosens Bioelectron 25:745-52. 2009
..This integrated system may provide a powerful platform for the rapid diagnosis of dengue virus infection and other types of infectious diseases...
- Use of a recombinant envelope protein subunit antigen for specific serological diagnosis of West Nile virus infection
David W C Beasley
Department of Pathology, UTMB, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555 0609, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:2759-65. 2004
- Regions of differences encoded antigens as targets for immunodiagnosis of tuberculosis in humans
Department of Immunology, National JALMA Institute for Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases, Tajganj, Agra, India
Scand J Immunol 70:345-57. 2009
..This article provides an overview of the use of RD antigens in the immunodiagnosis of tuberculosis infection and disease...
- Evaluation of widely used diagnostic tests to detect West Nile virus infections in horses previously infected with St. Louis encephalitis virus or dengue virus type 2
Jeremy P Ledermann
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, 3150 Rampart Road, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 18:580-7. 2011
..Of great importance, we demonstrated that timing of sample collection and the need for multiple samples are important, as the infecting etiology could be misdiagnosed if only a single sample is tested...
- Genetic and serologic properties of Zika virus associated with an epidemic, Yap State, Micronesia, 2007
Robert S Lanciotti
Diagnostic and Reference Laboratory, Arbovirus Diseases Branch, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80521, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1232-9. 2008
..In June 2007, an epidemic of fever and rash associated with ZIKV was detected in Yap State, Federated States of Micronesia. We report the genetic and serologic properties of the ZIKV associated with this epidemic...
- Evaluation of new-generation serologic tests for the diagnosis of typhoid fever: data from a community-based surveillance in Calcutta, India
National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases, P 33 CIT Road, Scheme XM, Beliaghata, P O Box 177, Calcutta 700010, India
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 56:359-65. 2006
..typhoid fever is confirmed by culture of Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi, rapid and simple diagnostic serologic tests would be useful in developing countries...
- International diagnostic accuracy study for the serological detection of chikungunya virus infection
Centre for Biological Safety ZBS 1, Robert Koch Institut, Berlin, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 15:880-4. 2009
- Usefulness of four different Echinococcus granulosus recombinant antigens for serodiagnosis of unilocular hydatid disease (UHD) and postsurgical follow-up of patients treated for UHD
IRNASA, CSIC, Cordel de Merinas, 50, 37008 Salamanca, Spain
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:147-53. 2008
..4 and 94.2, respectively). In addition, this diagnostic tool proved to be useful for the follow-up of surgically treated UHD patients. The anti-B2t IgG ELISA may find an application in the serodiagnosis of UHD in clinical laboratories...
- Comparative evaluation of parasitology and serological tests in the diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis in India: a phase III diagnostic accuracy study
Infectious Diseases Research Laboratory, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
Trop Med Int Health 12:284-9. 2007
..986). Although DAT-FD and rK-39 strip test were highly sensitive with excellent specificity, the ease of use of the latter makes it most suitable for the diagnosis of VL in the field conditions...
- Serodiagnosis of human bocavirus infection
Department of Virology, Haartman Institute, University of Helsinki, Finland
Clin Infect Dis 46:540-6. 2008
..Moreover, nothing is known of HBoV immunity. We examined HBoV-specific systemic B cell responses and assessed their diagnostic use in young children with respiratory disease...
- Serology of typhoid fever in an area of endemicity and its relevance to diagnosis
Department of Biochemistry, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 39:1002-7. 2001
..007). These tests could be of use for the diagnosis of typhoid fever in patients who have clinical typhoid fever but are culture negative or in regions where bacterial culturing facilities are not available...
- Evaluation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis--specific antibody responses in populations with different levels of exposure from Tanzania, Ethiopia, Brazil, and Denmark
Soren T Hoff
Department of Infectious Diseases Immunology, Statens Serum Institute, Copenhagen S, Denmark
Clin Infect Dis 45:575-82. 2007
..A key question remaining is the extent to which the disappointing performance of current tests is associated with a high background prevalence of latent TB...
- Coeliac disease: is it time for mass screening?
M Luisa Mearin
Pediatric Gastroenterology, Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Centre, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 19:441-52. 2005
..The economic costs of screening and treatment versus morbidity prevented have not been calculated...
- Evaluation of four commercially available rapid serologic tests for diagnosis of leptospirosis
Mary D Bajani
Meningitis and Special Pathogens Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
J Clin Microbiol 41:803-9. 2003
..The ease of use and significantly high sensitivity and specificity of DST and ELISA make these good choices for diagnostic testing...
- Screening for congenital toxoplasmosis: accuracy of immunoglobulin M and immunoglobulin A tests after birth
Ruth E Gilbert
Centre for Paediatric Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Institute of Child Health, London, UK
J Med Screen 14:8-13. 2007
..To determine the accuracy of postnatal screening for toxoplasma-specific immunoglobulin (Ig) M and IgA...
- Serodiagnosis of imported schistosomiasis by a combination of a commercial indirect hemagglutination test with Schistosoma mansoni adult worm antigens and an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay with S. mansoni egg antigens
Tom van Gool
Department of Microbiology, Tropical Medicine and AIDS, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 40:3432-7. 2002
..The combined use of these two tests enabled the serological diagnosis of schistosomiasis to be achieved with very high degrees of both sensitivity and specificity...
- Identification and cloning of immunodominant antigens of Coxiella burnetii
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, College Station, Texas 77843 1114, USA
Infect Immun 72:844-52. 2004
..These results suggest that these proteins may play critical roles in the development of protective immunity and that they are logical candidates for vaccine and serodiagnostic reagents...
- Clinical use of polymerase chain reaction performed on peripheral blood and bone marrow samples for the diagnosis and monitoring of visceral leishmaniasis in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected patients: a single-center, 8-year experience in Italy and review
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche L Sacco, Sezione di Malattie Infettive e Tropicali, Universita di Milano, Milan, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 44:1602-10. 2007
..To overcome some of the limitations of conventional microbiologic techniques, polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-based assays are proposed as useful tools for the diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis...
- A systematic review of high quality diagnostic tests for Chagas disease
Anna M Afonso
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1881. 2012
..To avoid associated spectrum bias, our analysis was limited to cohort studies...
- Antiretroviral therapy is associated with reduced serologic failure rates for syphilis among HIV-infected patients
Khalil G Ghanem
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
Clin Infect Dis 47:258-65. 2008
..Our goal was to determine whether the degree of HIV-mediated immunosuppression and the use of highly active antiretroviral therapy impact syphilis serologic responses...
- Development of cathepsin-L cysteine proteinase based Dot-enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the diagnosis of Fasciola gigantica infection in buffaloes
Division of Parasitology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar 243122, India
Vet Parasitol 183:382-5. 2012
..The present Dot-ELISA diagnostic assay is relevant to the field diagnosis of F. gigantica infection in buffaloes...
- Development of epitope-blocking ELISA for universal detection of antibodies to human H5N1 influenza viruses
Animal Health Biotechnology, Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory, National University of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
PLoS ONE 4:e4566. 2009
..Serologic surveillance has potential advantages which have not been realized because rapid and specific serologic tests to detect H5N1 infection are not widely available.
- Serological evaluation of experimentally infected dogs by LicTXNPx-ELISA and amastigote-flow cytometry
Parasite Disease Group, IBMC Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Portugal
Vet Parasitol 158:23-30. 2008
..2%. Therefore, our findings showed for the first time the potential of amastigote-flow cytometry regarding their applicability to detect both symptomatic and asymptomatic VL canine infections...
- Evaluation of a multiplex fluorescent microsphere immunoassay for the determination of epstein-barr virus serologic status
Thomas B Martins
Associated Regional and University Pathologists ARUP Institute for Clinical and Experimental Pathology, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 129:34-41. 2008
..Advantages of the multiplex assay over traditional methods include multiple results per assay, inclusion of internal controls for each assay, and well-to-well monitoring of assay drift...
- Profiling of rheumatoid arthritis associated autoantibodies
Institute of Immunology, Technical University Dresden, Germany
Autoimmun Rev 9:431-5. 2010
..The inclusion of novel RA-associated AAB (RAAB) and use of clinically evaluated multiplex assays may facilitate the use of profiling in diagnostic routine laboratories...
- First international diagnostic accuracy study for the serological detection of West Nile virus infection
Centre for Biological Safety ZBS 1, Robert Koch Institut, Nordufer 20, Berlin, Germany
BMC Infect Dis 7:72. 2007
..However, as the degree of proficiency may vary between laboratories, quality control measures for laboratory diagnostics are essential...
- Evaluation of six immunoassays for detection of dengue virus-specific immunoglobulin M and G antibodies
Laboratory for Exotic Viral Infections, WHO Center for Arboviruses and Hemorrhagic Fevers Reference and Research, Institute of Virology, Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 7:867-71. 2000
- Seroreactivity to and avidity for recombinant antigens in toxoplasmosis
Klaus Ingmar Pfrepper
MIKROGEN molekularbiologische Entwicklungs GmbH, Neuried, Germany
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12:977-82. 2005
..The data revealed that the recombinant line assay provides valuable information on the actual state of infection, especially during the early infection time points...
- Towards a more precise serological diagnosis of human tegumentary leishmaniasis using Leishmania recombinant proteins
Ana Paula Souza
Centro de Pesquisas Gonçalo Moniz CPqGM, Fundação Oswaldo Cruz FIOCRUZ, Salvador, Bahia, Brazil
PLoS ONE 8:e66110. 2013
..Exposure to Leishmania induces a humoral immune response that can be used as a marker of parasite exposure...
- A recombinant cysteine proteinase from Leishmania (Leishmania) chagasi suitable for serodiagnosis of American visceral leishmaniasis
Suzana de Souza Dias
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:126-32. 2005
..Our findings indicate that rLdccys1 from L. (L.) chagasi constitutes a potential tool for the diagnosis of American VL...
- Development of recombinant chimeric antigen expressing immunodominant B epitopes of Leishmania infantum for serodiagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis
Dipartimento di Produzioni Animali, Epidemiologia ed Ecologia, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Via Leonardo da Vinci 44, 10095 Grugliasco TO Italy
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12:647-53. 2005
..93 to 0.98) was higher than between IFAT and human chimeric ELISA (k = 0.81, 95% confidence interval = 0.76 to 0.87). Results suggest the potential use of this new antigen for routine serodiagnosis of VL in both human and canine hosts...
- Factors determining serologic response to treatment in patients with syphilis
Julio J González-López
Division of Infectious Diseases and Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 49:1505-11. 2009
- Serological response to treatment of syphilis according to disease stage and HIV status
Damaris Fröhlich Knaute
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Zurich, Gloriastrasse 31, CH 8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 55:1615-22. 2012
..Serology is the mainstay for syphilis diagnosis and treatment monitoring. We investigated serological response to treatment of syphilis according to disease stage and HIV status...
- Prevalence of measles, rubella, mumps, and varicella antibodies among healthcare workers in Japan
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Tokyo Hospital, Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 25:591-4. 2004
..To evaluate the immune status of healthcare workers (HCWs) against measles, rubella, mumps, and varicella in Japan, and to promote an adequate vaccination program among HCWs...
- Diagnosis of visceral leishmaniasis: developments over the last decade
Molecular Biology Laboratory, National Institute of Pathology ICMR, Safdarjung Hospital Campus, New Delhi 110029, India
Parasitol Res 110:1065-78. 2012
..This review summarizes the recent developments in VL diagnostics, drawing attention towards the need for standardization of the diagnostics across the affected regions...
- Community acquired pneumonia--a prospective UK study
Department of Paediatrics, Newcastle General Hospital, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Arch Dis Child 83:408-12. 2000
..There are few data on paediatric community acquired pneumonia (PCAP) in the UK...
- Diagnostic performance of tests based on Trypanosoma cruzi excreted-secreted antigens in an endemic area for Chagas' disease in Bolivia
Carlos Rodrigo Zarate-Blades
Centro de Investigacion y Diagnóstico de la Enfermedad de Chagas, CIDECH, Universidad Mayor de San Francisco Xavier, Calle Dalence 243, Sucre, 617 Bolivia
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 57:229-32. 2007
..Of the 742 samples, 329 (44.34 %) were positive in the TESA blot assay, which diagnosed 9 Trypanosoma cruzi-infected individuals missed by conventional serologic tests.
- Comparison and evaluation of real-time PCR, real-time nucleic acid sequence-based amplification, conventional PCR, and serology for diagnosis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae
Kate E Templeton
Department of Medical Microbiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 41:4366-71. 2003
..Molecular methods are superior for diagnosis of M. pneumoniae, providing more timely diagnosis. In addition, using real-time methods involves less hands-on time and affords the ability to monitor the reaction in the same tube...
- Commercial serological tests for the diagnosis of active pulmonary and extrapulmonary tuberculosis: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis
Karen R Steingart
Department of Health Services, University of Washington School of Public Health, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS Med 8:e1001062. 2011
- Quality control assessment for the serological diagnosis of dengue virus infections
Oliver Donoso Mantke
Robert Koch Institut, Nordufer 20, 13353 Berlin, Germany
J Clin Virol 29:105-12. 2004
..Improving diagnostics is the most important step in detecting and dealing with these pathogens and quality control measures are, therefore, essential tools...
- Use of serologic tests to predict resistance to feline herpesvirus 1, feline calicivirus, and feline parvovirus infection in cats
Michael R Lappin
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO 80523, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 220:38-42. 2002
- Serological testing versus other strategies for diagnosis of active tuberculosis in India: a cost-effectiveness analysis
David W Dowdy
Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Med 8:e1001074. 2011
..The cost and impact of using serology compared with other diagnostic techniques is unknown...
- Novel opportunities in automated classification of antinuclear antibodies on HEp-2 cells
Clinical Medicine and Rheumatology, Campus Bio Medico University of Rome, Italy
Autoimmun Rev 10:647-52. 2011
..Our data represent a first step to validate the use of Computer Aided Diagnosis (CAD), thus offering an opportunity for standardizing and automatizing the detection of ANA by IIF...
- Dot immunogold filtration assay (DIGFA) with multiple native antigens for rapid serodiagnosis of human cystic and alveolar echinococcosis
Xinjiang Hydatid Clinical Research Institute, First Teaching Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University, No 1 Liyushan RD, Urumqi 830000, Xinjiang, China
Acta Trop 113:114-20. 2010
..6% and for AE using Em2 was 97.1%. This simple eye-read rapid test can be used for both clinical diagnostic support, as well as in conjunction with ultrasound for mass screening in endemic CE and AE areas...
- Can the nucleic acid amplification test (NAT) be an alternative to the serologic tests? A prospective study, the results of 18,200 blood donors from the Turkish Red Crescent
Capa, Red Crescent Blood Center, Istanbul, Turkey
Transfus Apher Sci 43:269-72. 2010
b>Serologic tests having high sensitivity and specificity are used in order to prevent contamination with infectious agents from blood and blood products for transfusion safety...
- Multiplex assessment of non-organ-specific autoantibodies with a novel microbead-based immunoassay
Lausitz University of Applied Sciences, Senftenberg, Germany
Cytometry A 79:118-25. 2011
..Multicolor fluorescence analyses with pattern detection algorithms provide a common platform technique for both the screening of ANA by cell-based IIF and specific antibody assessment by multiplex detection...
- Seroprevalences of feline leukemia virus and feline immunodeficiency virus in cats with abscesses or bite wounds and rate of veterinarian compliance with current guidelines for retrovirus testing
Carrie E Goldkamp
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 232:1152-8. 2008
- Diagnosis of Strongyloides stercoralis infection
A A Siddiqui
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
Clin Infect Dis 33:1040-7. 2001
..This review describes the clinical manifestations of strongyloidiasis, as well as various diagnostic tests and treatment strategies...
- Characterisation of recombinant immunoreactive antigens of the scab mite Sarcoptes scabiei
Department of Molecular Parasitology, Institute of Biology, Humboldt University Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Vet Parasitol 153:329-37. 2008
..Three of the proteins contain repetitive sequences which suggests that they might be involved in immune evasion. The application of these antigens in serodiagnosis and the suitability for diagnosis is discussed...
- Genus and species-specific IgG and IgM antibodies for pulmonary tuberculosis
Department of Microbiology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rawalpindi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 14:105-7. 2004
..To evaluate three different enzyme immunoassays for serological diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis and to compare their diagnostic accuracy in different combinations...
- Molecular characterization and serodiagnosis analysis of a novel lysophospholipase from Clonorchis sinensis
Department of Parasitology, Zhongshan School of Medicine, SunYat sen University, Guangzhou, 510080, People s Republic of China
Parasitol Res 101:419-25. 2007
..The results suggested that the recombinant lysophospholipase protein was not a satisfactory candidate for diagnosis of clonorchiasis, although it might be an excretory/secretory protein...
- Evaluation of immunological markers in serum, filter-paper blood spots, and saliva for dengue diagnosis and epidemiological studies
Departamento de Virologia, Centro Nacional de Diagnostico y Referencia, Ministerio de Salud, Apartado Postal 2900, Managua, Nicaragua
J Clin Virol 43:287-91. 2008
..Numerous immunological approaches exist to diagnose dengue or detect dengue virus (DENV) infections...
- Utility of K39 strip test in visceral leishmaniasis (VL) and HIV co-infected patients: an early report from Eastern India
R P Goswami
J Assoc Physicians India 55:154-5. 2007
- Canine leishmaniosis and its relationship to human visceral leishmaniasis in Eastern Uzbekistan
Dmitriy A Kovalenko
Isaev Institute, Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Parasit Vectors 4:58. 2011
..A study on the epidemiology of VL in this area was carried out in 2007-2008 in the villages of Chodak, Oltinkan, Gulistan and Chorkesar located at elevations of 900-1200 above sea level...
- Polymerase chain reaction is superior to serology for the diagnosis of acute Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection and reveals a high rate of persistent infection
Anna C Nilsson
Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo, Infectious Disease Research Unit, Lund University, Malmo University Hospital, Sweden
BMC Microbiol 8:93. 2008
..PCR-positive individuals were followed longitudinally to assess the persistence of MP DNA in throat secretions. We also studied carriage of MP among household contacts and school children...
- Immunologic diagnosis of tuberculosis
M L Gennaro
Public Health Research Institute, New York, NY 10016, USA
Clin Infect Dis 30:S243-6. 2000
- Cytomegalovirus seropositivity and C-reactive protein have independent and combined predictive value for mortality in patients with angiographically demonstrated coronary artery disease
J B Muhlestein
LDS Hospital, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84143, USA
Circulation 102:1917-23. 2000
- Contribution of serological tests and blood culture to the early diagnosis of systemic candidiasis
Laboratoire de Parasitologie-Mycologie, CHRU, , Lille, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 20:864-70. 2001
..In this way, more efficient management of nosocomial infections caused by Candida species can be achieved...
- Concomitant or consecutive infection with Coxiella burnetii and tickborne diseases
J M Rolain
Unite des Rickettsies, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Clin Infect Dis 40:82-8. 2005
..In this study, we describe 6 patients with Q fever who were infected with 1 of the following tickborne pathogens: Rickettsia conorii (2 patients), Rickettsia slovaca (2), Rickettsia africae (1), and Francisella tularensis (1)...
- A systematic study of Epstein-Barr virus serologic assays following acute infection
Thomas D Rea
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 117:156-61. 2002
..Clinicians should consider the illness stage and the laboratory technique to appropriately interpret serologic test results in suspected cases of mononucleosis caused by the Epstein-Barr virus...
- Leishmania infantum heat shock protein 83 for the serodiagnosis of tegumentary leishmaniasis
B J Celeste
Laboratorio de Soroepidemiologia e Imunobiologia, Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:1591-3. 2004
..When cross-reactivity was tested, chronic Chagas' disease patients (N = 10) did not show any reactivity. Therefore, we consider this L. infantum Hsp 83 to be a good antigen for routine use for serodiagnosis of tegumentary leishmaniasis...
- Comparative study of serologic tests for the diagnosis of asymptomatic visceral leishmaniasis in an endemic area
Héctor Dardo Romero
Department of Tropical Medicine and Infectology, Federal University of Triangulo Mineiro, Uberaba, MG, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:27-33. 2009
b>Serologic tests have been widely used for the diagnosis of asymptomatic visceral leishmaniasis...
- Serodiagnosis of chronic and acute Chagas' disease with Trypanosoma cruzi recombinant proteins: results of a collaborative study in six Latin American countries
Eufrosina S Umezawa
Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, Universidade de Sao Paulo, UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Clin Microbiol 42:449-52. 2004
..3%) were obtained when JL8 was combined with MAP (JM) and tested with 150 serum samples from chagasic and 142 nonchagasic individuals. Moreover, JM also diagnosed 84.2% of patients in the acute phase of T. cruzi infection...
- Japanese spotted fever: report of 31 cases and review of the literature
Mahara Hospital, Tokushima, Japan
Emerg Infect Dis 3:105-11. 1997
..Recent surveys show ticks to be the most probable vectors. As an emerging infectious disease, JSF is not commonly recognized by clinicians; therefore, even though it has not caused fatal cases, it merits careful monitoring...
- Accuracy of enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay using crude and purified antigens for serodiagnosis of melioidosis
Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:110-3. 2007
..pseudomallei antigen (sensitivity, 81%; specificity, 70%), an improvement over the indirect hemagglutination assay (sensitivity, 73%; specificity, 64%)...
- Identification of a serodiagnostic antigen, legumain, by immunoproteomic analysis of excretory-secretory products of Clonorchis sinensis adult worms
Jung Won Ju
Division of Malaria and Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Health, Seoul, Korea
Proteomics 9:3066-78. 2009
..Our results illustrate the validity of immuno-proteomic approaches in the identification of serodiagnostic antigens in the parasites...
- High frequencies of exposure to the novel human parvovirus PARV4 in hemophiliacs and injection drug users, as detected by a serological assay for PARV4 antibodies
Colin P Sharp
Centre for Infectious Diseases, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 200:1119-25. 2009
- Evaluation of recombinant antigens for diagnosis of melioidosis
Elizabeth M Allwood
Institute for Glycomics, Griffith University Gold Coast Campus, QLD, Australia
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 54:144-53. 2008
..In contrast, the indirect ELISA using OmpA as an antigen achieved 95% sensitivity and 98% specificity. These results highlight the potential for OmpA to be used in the serodiagnosis of melioidosis in an endemic area...
- Inconclusive results in conventional serological screening for Chagas' disease in blood banks: evaluation of cellular and humoral response
Célia Regina Furucho
Laboratório de Investigação Médica cm Imunologia, Hospital das Clinicas da Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Trop Med Int Health 13:1527-33. 2008
..To find the most reliable screening method for Trypanosoma cruzi infection in blood banks...
- Evaluation of immunoglobulin G4 subclass antibody in a peptide-based enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the serodiagnosis of human fascioliasis
Graduate Study Office, Faculty of Medicine, Thammasat University, Rangsit Campus, Pathumthani, Thailand
Parasitology 134:2021-6. 2007
- Standardizing Chlamydia pneumoniae assays: recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (USA) and the Laboratory Centre for Disease Control (Canada)
S F Dowell
National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 33:492-503. 2001
..These standards should be applied in future investigations and periodically modified as indicated...
- Compararative evaluation of rK9, rK26 and rK39 antigens in the serodiagnosis of Indian visceral leishmaniasis
Tribhuban Mohan Mohapatra
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Medical Sciences, BHU, Varanasi, India
J Infect Dev Ctries 4:114-7. 2010
..chagasi) and crude soluble antigen (CSA) for the serodiagnosis of Indian visceral leishmaniasis (VL) patients by quantitative ELISA...
- Serologic diagnosis of West Nile virus infection
Pei Yong Shi
Wadsworth Center, New York State Department of Health, Albany 12201, USA
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 3:733-41. 2003
..The nonstructural protein 5 protein-based assay can reliably discriminate between WNV and dengue or St. Louis encephalitis virus, as well as between natural WNV infection and flavivirus vaccination...
- Bartonella quintana and Coxiella burnetii as causes of endocarditis, India
Emerg Infect Dis 14:1168-9. 2008
- Serodiagnosis of flaviviral infections and vaccinations in humans
Arbovirus Diseases Branch, Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522, USA
Adv Virus Res 61:3-65. 2003
- Poor performance of a novel serological test for diagnosis of pulmonary tuberculosis in Bangui, Central African Republic
Institut Pasteur de Madagascar, BP 1274, Antananarivo 101, Madagascar
Clin Vaccine Immunol 13:702-3. 2006
..6% versus 80.9%, respectively; P < 0.000001)...
- A comparison of four serologic assays in screening for Brucella exposure in Hawaiian monk seals
Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Central and Arctic Region, 501 University Crescent, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N6
J Wildl Dis 41:126-33. 2005
..in this species...
- Serological diagnosis and follow-up of asymptomatic and acute Q fever infections
Q fever Consulting Laboratory, Baden Wurttemberg, State Health Office, Wiederholdstr 15, D 70174 Stuttgart, Germany
Int J Med Microbiol 296:294-6. 2006
..We therefore conclude that the exclusion of chronic Q fever infection by a single serological examination cannot be done. At least three consecutive tests should be performed, that is 3, 6, and 9 months after initial Q fever infection...
- Development, implementation, and impact of acceptability criteria for serologic tests for infectious diseases
John A Crump
Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Duke University Medical Center, Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Clin Microbiol 42:881-3. 2004
..All parts of the diagnostic process must be optimized to ensure that serologic tests perform adequately...
- Analysis of thioredoxin peroxidase as a promising antigen for diagnosis of Fasciola gigantica infection: a preliminary study
College of Animal Science and Technology, Guangxi University, 530005 Nanning, China
Parasitol Int 60:206-8. 2011
..gigantica but not by healthy animals...
- A low molecular weight lipopolysaccharide antigen preparation reactive to acute leptospirosis heterologous sera
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 Penang, Malaysia
Trop Biomed 27:241-53. 2010
..This study showed that the 10-15 kDa antigen could potentially be useful for serodiagnosis of acute leptospirosis in Malaysia...
- A prospective study of the influence of HIV status on the seroreversion of serological tests for syphilis
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Clinic, , Paris, France
Dermatology 198:362-9. 1999
..Evolution of the VDRL test after therapy is regular in HIV+ patients. The VDRL test remains adequate for controlling the efficacy of treatment in these patients...
- Burkholderia pseudomallei-specific recombinant protein and its potential in the diagnosis of melioidosis
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Asian Pac J Allergy Immunol 19:37-41. 2001
..A combination of such antigens should provide materials for successful serodiagnosis of melioidosis in the endemic areas...