Genomes and Genes
Summary: ERYTHROCYTE size and HEMOGLOBIN content or concentration, usually derived from ERYTHROCYTE COUNT; BLOOD hemoglobin concentration; and HEMATOCRIT. The indices include the mean corpuscular volume (MCV), the mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH), and the mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration (MCHC).
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- Importance of RDW value in differential diagnosis of hypochrome anemiasD Aslan
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Ihsan Dogramaci Children s Hospital, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Am J Hematol 69:31-3. 2002..These observations could be kept in mind in the differential diagnosis of deltabeta-TT from beta-TT and IDA by determining the red blood cell count, red cell indices, and RDW only...
- Red cell distribution width and mortality in older adults: a meta-analysisKushang V Patel
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Demography, and Biometry, National Institute on Aging, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 9205, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 65:258-65. 2010..Whether RDW is prognostic in more representative community-based populations is unclear...
- Relation between red blood cell distribution width and inflammatory biomarkers in a large cohort of unselected outpatientsGiuseppe Lippi
Sezione di Chimica Clinica, Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologico Biomediche, Universita degli Studi di Verona, Verona, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:628-32. 2009..A strong independent association has been recently observed between elevated red blood cell distribution width (RDW) and increased incidence of cardiovascular events...
- Hematologic differences between African-Americans and whites: the roles of iron deficiency and alpha-thalassemia on hemoglobin levels and mean corpuscular volumeErnest Beutler
The Scripps Research Institute, Department of Molecular and Experimental Medicine, 10550 North Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Blood 106:740-5. 2005..1% and 2.77% and to 4.29% and 3.6%, respectively. Physicians need to take into account that the same reference standards for hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV, and TS and the white blood cell count do not apply to all ethnic groups...
- Red blood cell distribution width and the risk of death in middle-aged and older adultsKushang V Patel
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Demography, and Biometry, National Institute on Aging, 7201 Wisconsin Ave, Ste 3C309, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Arch Intern Med 169:515-23. 2009..In patients with symptomatic cardiovascular disease (CVD), RDW is associated with mortality. However, it has not been demonstrated that RDW is a predictor of mortality independent of nutritional deficiencies or in the general population...
- Elevated red blood cell distribution width predicts mortality in persons with known strokeChizobam Ani
Department of Medicine, Charles Drew University of Medicine and Science, USA
J Neurol Sci 277:103-8. 2009..We assessed the association of RDW with stroke, and its effect on mortality among persons with stroke...
- Red cell distribution width is a prognostic factor in severe sepsis and septic shockYou Hwan Jo
Department of Emergency Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Gyeonggi do 463 707, Republic of Korea
Am J Emerg Med 31:545-8. 2013..This study was performed to investigate the association of red cell distribution width (RDW) with 28-day mortality in patients with severe sepsis and septic shock...
- Usefulness of red cell distribution width as a prognostic marker in pulmonary hypertensionChetan V Hampole
Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Cardiol 104:868-72. 2009..39 for NT-pro-BNP). Adding NT-pro-BNP to RDW did not improve the prediction of mortality. In conclusion, RDW is independently associated with death in patients with PH and performs better as a prognostic indicator than NT-pro-BNP...
- Genetic Loci implicated in erythroid differentiation and cell cycle regulation are associated with red blood cell traitsKeyue Ding
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 87:461-74. 2012..To identify common genetic variants influencing red blood cell (RBC) traits...
- The impact of admission red cell distribution width on the development of poor myocardial perfusion after primary percutaneous interventionTurgay Isik
Department of Cardiology, Balikesir University, School of Medicine, Cagis Campus, Balikesir, Turkey
Atherosclerosis 224:143-9. 2012..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the predictive value of red cell distribution width (RDW) on the electrocardiographic no-reflow phenomenon in patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)...
- Red blood cell distribution width is a potential prognostic index for liver diseaseZhide Hu
Department of Laboratory Medicine, General Hospital of Ji nan Military Command Region, Ji Nan, PR China
Clin Chem Lab Med 51:1403-8. 2013..Red blood cell distribution width (RDW) is increased in liver disease. Its clinical significance, however, remains largely unknown. The aim of this study was to identify whether RDW was a prognostic index for liver disease...
- Alpha and beta thalassemiaHerbert L Muncie
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70112, USA
Am Fam Physician 80:339-44. 2009..Persons with the thalassemia trait have a normal life expectancy. Persons with beta thalassemia major often die from cardiac complications of iron overload by 30 years of age...
- Red blood cell distribution width as an independent predictor of all-cause mortality in out of hospital cardiac arrestJoonghee Kim
Department of Emergency Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Gumi Ro, Bundang gu, Seongnam si, Gyeonggi do 463 707, Republic of Korea
Resuscitation 83:1248-52. 2012..Recent studies found that elevated red cell distribution width (RDW) is a strong predictor of mortality in critically ill patients. We investigated the prognostic significance of RDW in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OHCA) victims...
- Red cell distribution width in patients with prehypertension and hypertensionAsli Tanindi
Department of Cardiology, Cankiri State Hospital, Aksu mahallesi, Ogretmenler, Sokak, Cankiri, Turkey
Blood Press 21:177-81. 2012....
- Relationship between red cell distribution width and microalbuminuria: a population-based study of multiethnic representative US adultsLuis Afonso
Division of Cardiology, Wayne State University, Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Nephron Clin Pract 119:c277-82. 2011..Microalbuminuria (MA), a renal marker of vascular injury, is an independent predictor of cardiovascular (CV) events. Red cell distribution width (RDW), an emerging CV risk predictor, has not been evaluated for its association with MA...
- Red cell distribution width and risk of peripheral artery disease: analysis of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2004Sandip K Zalawadiya
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Detroit Medical Center Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Vasc Med 17:155-63. 2012..0001). In conclusion, higher levels of RDW are independently associated with a higher risk of PAD and can significantly improve the risk prediction beyond that estimated by ACC/AHA-defined PAD screening criteria...
- Can red cell distribution width help to discriminate benign from malignant biliary obstruction? A retrospective single center analysisYavuz Beyazit
Department of Gastroenterology, Turkiye Yuksek Ihtisas Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Hepatogastroenterology 59:1469-73. 2012..The aim of this study is to evaluate the usefulness of red cell distribution width (RDW) in differentiating benign and malignant causes of obstructive jaundice...
- Clinical utility of red cell distribution width in alcoholic and non-alcoholic liver cirrhosisSandra Milić
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Rijeka University Hospital Center, Rijeka, Croatia
Coll Antropol 35:335-8. 2011..697). Our study showed that RDW had not any clinical value in differentiation of anemia neither in alcoholic and non-alcoholic liver cirrhosis nor in severity of liver disease...
- Elevated red cell distribution width level predicts worse postinterventional thrombolysis in myocardial infarction flow reflecting abnormal reperfusion in acute myocardial infarction treated with a primary coronary interventionAhmet Karabulut
Department of Cardiology, Istanbul Medicine Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Coron Artery Dis 23:68-72. 2012..Herein, we aimed to demonstrate the impact of an elevated RDW level on the postinterventional thrombolysis in myocardial infarction (TIMI) flow in AMI patients...
- Assessment of red cell distribution width (RDW) in patients with coronary artery ectasiaOrhan Dogdu
Department of Cardiology, Erciyes University School of Medicine, Kayseri, Turkey
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 18:211-4. 2012..Red cell distribution width (RDW) is a measure of heterogeneity in the size of red blood cell. In this study, we aimed to investigate RDW levels in patients with CAE...
- Association of the red cell distribution width with red blood cell deformabilityKushang V Patel
Laboratory of Epidemiology, Demography, and Biometry, National Institute on Aging NIH, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 765:211-6. 2013..The resultant hypoxia may help to explain the previously reported increased risk for CVD events associated with elevated RDW...
- Impact of red blood cell distribution width on long-term mortality in diabetic patients after percutaneous coronary interventionShuta Tsuboi
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Circ J 77:456-61. 2013..Diabetes mellitus increases oxidative stress and vascular inflammation, which accelerate atherosclerosis. However, the relationship between RDW and long-term outcome in diabetic patients with coronary artery disease (CAD) is unclear...
- The red cell distribution width as a prognostic indicator in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisSteven D Nathan
Advanced Lung Disease and Lung Transplant Program, Department of Medicine, Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, VA, USA
Chest 143:1692-8. 2013..The red cell distribution width (RDW) is a parameter that is routinely reported with all CBC counts. We sought to test the prognostic usefulness of this parameter in a well-defined cohort of patients with IPF...
- Red cell distribution width as a novel prognostic marker in patients undergoing primary angioplasty for acute myocardial infarctionHuseyin Uyarel
Department of Cardiology, Balikesir University, School of Medicine, Cagis Campus, Balikesir, Turkey
Coron Artery Dis 22:138-44. 2011..Red cell distribution width (RDW), a measure of red blood cell size heterogeneity, was evaluated in patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) for ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI)...
- Relation between red cell distribution width with echocardiographic parameters in patients with acute heart failureJaewon Oh
Cardiology Division, Yonsei Cardiovascular Center and Cardiovascular Research Institute, Seoul, Korea
J Card Fail 15:517-22. 2009..However, the relation between RDW and echocardiographic parameters in acute heart failure (AHF) has not been studied...
- The diagnostic criteria for iron deficiency in infants should be reevaluatedMagnus Domellöf
Department of Clinical Sciences, Pediatrics, Umea University, Sweden
J Nutr 132:3680-6. 2002..Hb, MCV and ZPP at 6 mo as well as growth variables predicted the Hb response at 6-9 mo, but ferritin and TfR at 6 mo did not. We conclude that there is need for a reevaluation of the definitions of ID and IDA in infants...
- The cutoff value of serum ferritin for the diagnosis of iron deficiency in community-residing older personsChul Won Choi
Division of Oncology Hematology, Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
Ann Hematol 84:358-61. 2005..The value is lower than the previous value established for hospitalized and anemic older adults...
- Red cell distribution width (RDW) in the diagnosis of iron deficiency with microcytic hypochromic anemiaRoosy Aulakh
Department of Pediatrics, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, India
Indian J Pediatr 76:265-8. 2009..To study the utility of red cell distribution width (RDW) in the diagnosis of iron deficiency among children with microcytic hypochromic anemia...
- Erythrocyte changes in preeclampsia: relationship between maternal and cord blood erythrocyte damageCristina Catarino
Faculdade Farmácia, Universidade Porto, Portugal
J Perinat Med 37:19-27. 2009..Our data show similarities between UCB and maternal RBC changes, as suggested by the correlations of markers of RBC damage...
- Renal function is independently associated with red cell distribution width in kidney transplant recipients: a potential new auxiliary parameter for the clinical evaluation of patients with chronic kidney diseaseAkos Ujszaszi
Institute of Pathophysiology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Br J Haematol 161:715-25. 2013..Lower eGFR is associated with higher RDW, independent of comorbidity, iron deficiency, inflammation and nutritional status in kidney transplant recipients...
- Fetal hemorheology in normal pregnancy and severe preeclampsiaL Heilmann
Department Obstetrics Gynecology, Clinica Obstetric Gynecology, City Hospital, Russelsheim, Germany
Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 32:183-90. 2005..9%. An elevated red cell aggregation was found in 2.8% (stasis) and 4.8% (low flow state), respectively. We conclude that in fetal blood the higher hematocrit and the presence of larger red cells do not cause impaired fetal hemorheology...
- Expansion of the red cell distribution width and evolving iron deficiency as predictors of poor outcome in chronic heart failureNay Aung
University College London Hospital, London, UK
Int J Cardiol 168:1997-2002. 2013..We sought to determine the survival implications of temporal changes in RDW and evolving ID in patients with CHF...
- Red cell distribution width in migraineA Celikbilek
Department of Neurology, Bozok University, Yozgat, Turkey
Int J Lab Hematol 35:620-8. 2013..This study was undertaken to assess the interrelationship between RDW and migraine...
- [Impact of red cell distribution width on outcome of 16 681 patients with chronic systolic heart failure]Sheng Bo Yu
Department of Cardiology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China
Zhonghua Xin Xue Guan Bing Za Zhi 40:237-42. 2012..To determinate the prognostic value of red cell distribution width (RDW) and the relationships between RDW and clinical characteristics in patients with chronic heart failure (CHF)...
- Red cell distribution width is associated with physical inactivity and heart failure, independent of established risk factors, inflammation or iron metabolism; the EPIC-Norfolk studyMireille E Emans
Department of Cardiology, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands Electronic address
Int J Cardiol 168:3550-5. 2013..We examined in a healthy population (1) whether this association is independent of cardiovascular risk factors and iron metabolism and (2) whether RDW associates with physical activity...
- The relationship between red blood cell distribution width and the clinical outcomes in non-ST elevation myocardial infarction and unstable angina pectoris: a 3-year follow-upMehmet Gul
Cardiology Department, Istanbul Mehmet Akif Ersoy Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Training and Research Hospital, Turkey
Coron Artery Dis 23:330-6. 2012..Red blood cell distribution width (RDW), a marker of variation in the size of the circulating red blood cells, was evaluated in patients with non-ST elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI) and unstable angina pectoris (UAP)...
- Relationship between the red cell distribution width and the one-year outcomes in Chinese patients with stable angina pectorisHairong Ren
Department of Cardiology, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, China
Intern Med 52:1769-74. 2013..This study was undertaken to determine the relationship between the red cell distribution width (RDW) and the one year outcomes in Chinese patients with stable angina pectoris...
- Altered red blood cell distribution width in overweight adolescents and its association with markers of inflammationB Fujita
Clinic of Internal Medicine I, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Pediatr Obes 8:385-91. 2013..This analysis aimed to investigate the relationship between RDW and obesity in adolescents and in an animal model of diet-induced obesity (DIO)...
- Correlation of red cell distribution width with the severity of coronary artery disease: a large Chinese cohort study from a single centerFeng Lian Ma
Division of Dyslipidemia, State Key Laboratory of Cardiovascular Disease, Fu Wai Hospital, National Center for Cardiovascular Disease, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100037, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 126:1053-7. 2013..The aim of the present study was prospectively evaluate the severity of coronary artery disease (CAD) and RDW in a large Chinese cohort...
- Red blood cell distribution and survival in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseEkrem Cengiz Seyhan
Yedikule Teaching Hospital for Chest Diseases and Thoracic Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
COPD 10:416-24. 2013..It is unknown whether RDW is associated with mortality in COPD patients...
- Usefulness of admission red cell distribution width as a predictor of early mortality in patients with acute pulmonary embolismAli Zorlu
Department of Cardiology, Cumhuriyet University Medical School, Sivas, Turkey
Am J Cardiol 109:128-34. 2012..In conclusion, high RDW was associated with worse hemodynamic parameters, and RDW seems to aid in the risk stratification of patients with acute PE...
- Iron deficiency and erythropoiesis: new diagnostic approachesCarlo Brugnara
Children s Hospital Boston, Department of Laboratory Medicine, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Chem 49:1573-8. 2003..The combination of hematologic markers such as reticulocyte hemoglobin content, which decreases with iron deficiency, and R/F ratio may allow for a more precise classification of anemias...
- Mature erythrocyte indices: new markers of iron availabilityChristophe Bovy
Haematologica 90:549-51. 2005This study was aimed at evaluating mature erythrocyte indices as new markers of iron status...
- Preparation and in vitro evaluation of carrier erythrocytes for RES-targeted delivery of interferon-alpha 2bM Hamidi
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 71345 1583, Shiraz, Iran
Int J Pharm 341:125-33. 2007..All the tested in vitro characteristics showed significant, sometimes notable changes upon drug loading procedure, both with and without the drug...
- Erythrocyte mean corpuscular volume as a surrogate marker for 6-thioguanine nucleotide concentration monitoring in patients with inflammatory bowel disease treated with azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurineCarlton W Thomas
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, and Section of Biostatistics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, U S A
Inflamm Bowel Dis 9:237-45. 2003..Measurement of mean corpuscular volume is a simple and inexpensive alternative to measurement of 6-thioguanine nucleotide concentrations in patients treated with azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine...
- Evaluation of the diagnostic reliability of different RBC indices and formulas in the differentiation of the beta-thalassaemia minor from iron deficiency in Palestinian populationM Sirdah
Biology Department, Al Azhar University, Gaza, Palestine
Int J Lab Hematol 30:324-330. 2008....
- Elevated plasma levels of B-type natriuretic Peptide but not C-reactive protein are associated with higher red cell distribution width in patients with coronary artery diseaseHidekatsu Fukuta
Department of Cardio Renal Medicine and Hypertension, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Int Heart J 50:301-12. 2009..001). In conclusion, elevated BNP levels are independently associated with higher RDW in patients with CAD. Neurohumoral activation may be a mechanistic link between increased RDW and adverse clinical outcomes in this population...
- Iron status at 1 and 6 years versus developmental scores at 6 years in a well-nourished affluent populationB S Gunnarsson
Unit for Nutrition Research, Landspitali University Hospital and Department of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Iceland, IS 101, Reykjavik, Iceland
Acta Paediatr 96:391-5. 2007..To examine the association between iron status at 1 and 6 years with development at 6 years...
- Association of erythrocyte indices with glycated haemoglobin in pre-menopausal womenM Koga
Department of Internal Medicine, Kinki Central Hospital, Itami, Japan
Diabet Med 24:843-7. 2007Although HbA(1c) is known to be affected by the lifespan of erythrocytes, any association of erythrocyte indices with HbA(1c) in subjects without anaemia is poorly understood...
- Can patient characteristics predict the outcome of endoscopic evaluation of iron deficiency anemia: a multiple logistic regression analysisGabriele Capurso
Digestive and Liver Disease Unit, 2nd School of Medicine, Department of Public Health Science University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Gastrointest Endosc 59:766-71. 2004..The purpose of this study was to identify clinical and biochemical variables that predict the outcome of upper/lower endoscopy in outpatients with iron deficiency anemia and to determine which endoscopic procedure should be performed first...
- Opportunistic screening for iron-deficiency in 6-36 month old children presenting to the Paediatric Emergency DepartmentMartin V Pusic
Dept of Pediatrics, University of B C, Vancouver, BC, Canada
BMC Pediatr 5:42. 2005..This study aims to determine the prevalence of a low Mean Cell Volume (MCV) in children having a CBC performed during a PED visit and whether physicians acted upon the abnormal value...
- Does the mean corpuscular volume help physicians evaluate hospitalized patients with anemia?S J Seward
Department of Medicine, New England Deaconess Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
J Gen Intern Med 5:187-91. 1990..In this study the MCV did not provide sufficient diagnostic accuracy to be a useful criterion for the selection of more definitive tests in the evaluation of anemia in hospitalized patients...
- The Advia 120 red blood cells and reticulocyte indices are useful in diagnosis of iron-deficiency anemiaSanna Kotisaari
Department of Clinical Chemistry and Hematology, Kuopio University Hospital, Finland
Eur J Haematol 68:150-6. 2002..Nevertheless, the advanced RBC and reticulocyte indices may prove to be useful tools in the evaluation of iron status and diagnosis of iron-deficiency anemia...
- Gastrointestinal causes of refractory iron deficiency anemia in patients without gastrointestinal symptomsB Annibale
Digestive and Liver Disease Unit, II Clinica Medica, Policlinico Umberto I, Universita La Sapienza, Viale del Policlinico 155, 00161 Rome, Italy
Am J Med 111:439-45. 2001..CONCLUSION: Gastrointestinal diseases that do not usually cause bleeding are frequently associated with iron deficiency anemia in patients without gastrointestinal symptom or other potential causes of gastrointestinal bleeding...
- Erythrocyte indices for discriminating thalassaemic and non-thalassaemic microcytosis in IndiansJ Kotwal
Department of Haematology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Natl Med J India 12:266-7. 1999..CONCLUSION: In countries with a high prevalence of iron deficiency, cut-off values for red cell indices should be recalculated using ROC curves...
- Relationship between alcohol drinking and aspartate aminotransferase:alanine aminotransferase (AST:ALT) ratio, mean corpuscular volume (MCV), gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT), and apolipoprotein A1 and B in the U.S. populationSuthat Liangpunsakul
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, and Clarian Digestive Disease Center, Indiana University School of Medicine, and Roudebush Veterans Administration Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202 5124, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 71:249-52. 2010..We examined the relationship between alcohol drinking and the levels of these markers in a national population-based study composed primarily of lighter drinkers...
- Prognostic implication of macrocytosis on adverse outcomes after coronary interventionMasahiro Myojo
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
Atherosclerosis 221:148-53. 2012..The aim of this study was to perform prognostic risk stratification of patients after PCI based on the presence or absence of macrocytosis...
- Treatment of iron deficiency anemia with intravenous iron preparationsSaadet Akarsu
Department of Pediatrics, Medical Faculty of Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Acta Haematol 116:51-7. 2006..We aimed to determine the effects of intravenous iron therapy on blood parameters in pediatric patients who do not tolerate oral iron therapy for any reason...
- Red cell distribution width in the diagnosis of iron deficiency anemiaD Viswanath
Department of Pediatrics, M.S. Ramaiah Medical Teaching Hospital, Bangalore, India
Indian J Pediatr 68:1117-9. 2001..CONCLUSION: In the diagnosis of mild and moderate iron deficiency anemia, RDW had a higher sensitivity than PS. Red cell morphology, Hb, PCV and RDW showed significant improvement after iron-therapy...
- Hypochromic red blood cells in low-risk myelodysplastic syndromes: effects of treatment with hemopoietic growth factorsTherese Ljung
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Karolinska Institutet at Huddinge University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Haematologica 89:1446-53. 2004..The present study was designed to assess whether functional iron deficiency may develop in MDS patients receiving these treatments...
- Subcutaneous administration of darbepoetin alfa effectively maintains hemoglobin concentrations at extended dose intervals in peritoneal dialysis patientsYu Wei Fang
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Perit Dial Int 29:199-203. 2009..The purpose of this single-center single-arm study was to determine whether darbepoetin alfa, when administered at extended dose intervals, is as effective as rHuEPO for the treatment of renal anemia in patients on peritoneal dialysis...
- Detecting iron deficiency in anemic patients with concomitant medical problemsA M Kis
University of Wisconsin Department of Medicine, Department of Veterans Affairs Geriatric Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Madison, USA
J Gen Intern Med 13:455-61. 1998..This is higher than the ferritin level of < or =50 microg/L cited in standard textbooks as evidence of iron deficiency in patients with inflammation, infection, or malignancy...
- Predictors of endoscopic and laboratory evaluation of iron deficiency anemia in hospitalized patientsGeorge N Ioannou
Department of Medicine and Division of Gastroenterology, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA, USA
South Med J 100:976-84. 2007..Many hospitalized anemic patients do not undergo appropriate evaluation. We hypothesized that specific clinical variables were likely to be important in triggering evaluation for iron deficiency anemia...
- Genetic association analysis highlights new loci that modulate hematological trait variation in Caucasians and African AmericansKen Sin Lo
Montreal Heart Institute, 5000 Belanger Street, Montreal, QC, H1T 1C8, Canada
Hum Genet 129:307-17. 2011..Our results show similarities but also differences in the genetic regulation of hematological traits in European- and African-derived populations, and highlight the role of natural selection in shaping these differences...
- Validity of carbohydrate-deficient transferrin (%CDT), gamma-glutamyltransferase (gamma-GT) and mean corpuscular erythrocyte volume (MCV) as biomarkers for chronic alcohol abuse: a study in patients with alcohol dependence and liver disorders of non-alcohB Hock
Psychiatric Clinic of Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
Addiction 100:1477-86. 2005....
- Mean red cell volume as a correlate of blood pressureD S Sharp
Honolulu Epidemiology Research Unit, Division of Epidemiology and Clinical Applications, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Circulation 93:1677-84. 1996..Epidemiological studies show no relation or higher MCVs. In the present study of elderly men (71 to 93 years of age) of the Honolulu Heart Program, elements of both findings are confirmed...
- Analysis of red cell parameters on the Sysmex XE 2100 and ADVIA 120 in iron deficiency and in uraemic chronic diseaseO David
Department of Clinical Pathology, Regina Margherita S Anna Hospital, Turin, Italy
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 66:113-20. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the extent to which the red cell parameters, RBC-Y and RET-Y, provided by Sysmex XE 2100, correlate with HYPO and CHr...
- Exertional Rhabdomyolysis during a 246-km continuous running raceKaterina P Skenderi
Laboratory of Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University, Athens, Greece
Med Sci Sports Exerc 38:1054-7. 2006..To evaluate the effect of continuous, moderate-intensity ultra-endurance running exercise on skeletal muscle and hepatic damage, as indicated by serum enzyme activity measured immediately following the race...
- Iron overload and heart fibrosis in mice deficient for both beta2-microglobulin and Rag1M M Santos
Departments of Immunology, Pathology, and Internal Medicine, University Hospital Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Am J Pathol 157:1883-92. 2000..Mice deficient in ss2m and Rag1 thus offer a new experimental model of iron-related cardiomyopathy...
- Comparison of hematologic data in world elite junior speed skaters and in non-athletic juniorsA Mayr
Laboratory of Clinical Pathology, Hospital of Brunico, Italy, and Faculty of Health Sciences, University Maastricht, The Netherlands
Int J Sports Med 27:283-8. 2006..In junior athletes we did not find an iron overload as described in some adult athletes...
- Hematological parameters in tench Tinca tinca after short term exposure to leadSyed Lal Shah
Pakistan Science Foundation, Islamabad
J Appl Toxicol 26:223-8. 2006....
- Hand strike-induced hemolysis and adaptations in iron metabolism in Basque ball playersAlfredo Córdova Martínez
Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, School of Physiotherapy, University of Valladolid, Soria, Spain
Ann Nutr Metab 50:206-13. 2006..Basque ball players (BBPs) make repeated hand strikes to the ball which involves continuous mechanical trauma...
- Allopurinol prevents erythrocyte deformability impairing but not the hematological alterations after limb ischemia-reperfusion in ratsNorbert Nemeth
Department of Operative Techniques and Surgical Research, Medical and Health Science Center, Faculty of Medicine, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
J Invest Surg 19:47-56. 2006..In summary, short-term ischemia and reperfusion induced lower red blood cell deformability in the early postoperative period, which could be prevented by allopurinol pretreatment...
- Shortcomings in infant iron deficiency screening methodsPaul G Biondich
Children s Health Services Research, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Pediatrics 117:290-4. 2006..Screening for iron deficiency anemia is a well-established practice in pediatrics, but numerous challenges surrounding current recommendations raise questions about the effectiveness of this strategy...
- Live high-train low for 24 days increases hemoglobin mass and red cell volume in elite endurance athletesJon Peter Wehrlin
Swiss Federal Institute of Sports, Section for Elite Sport, 2532 Magglingen, Switzerland
J Appl Physiol (1985) 100:1938-45. 2006..1,080+/-98 s; P<0.01) from pre- to postaltitude. Living at 2,500 m and training at lower altitudes for 24 days increases Hbmass and RCV. These changes may contribute to enhance performance of elite endurance athletes...
- Development of parameters influencing blood oxygen carrying capacity in the welcome swallow and fairy martinPrudence Simmons
Wildlife Ecology Research Group, School of Biological Sciences, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 143:459-68. 2006..3- to 1.5-fold. Possible reasons for the apparent differences in the timing of O2Cap increase between rapidly and slowly growing altricial species and among MOR species are discussed...
- Specific activities of poetam preparation (superlow-doses of antibodies to erythropoietin) and recombinant erythropoietinA M Dygai
Institute of Pharmacology, Tomsk Research Center, Siberian Division of Russian Academy of Medical Sciences
Bull Exp Biol Med 142:320-3. 2006..The effect of Recormon manifested immediately after injection, while the effect of Poetam was somewhat delayed, but more lasting (due to activation of host erythropoietin system)...
- Blood viscosity and its relationship to iron deficiency, symptoms, and exercise capacity in adults with cyanotic congenital heart diseaseCraig S Broberg
Adult Congenital Heart Centre, Royal Brompton Hospital and National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College School of Medicine, London, England
J Am Coll Cardiol 48:356-65. 2006..This study sought to determine the relationship between blood viscosity and iron deficiency and their impact on symptoms and exercise function in adults with cyanotic congenital heart disease...
- Restless leg syndrome: iron importantMargaret A Fitzgerald
Fitzgerald Health Education Associates, Inc, North Andover, MA, USA
Nurse Pract 33:7-9. 2008
- Hematological parameters and anaerobic threshold in Brazilian soccer players throughout a training programA S R Silva
Department of Physical Education, Bioscience Institute, University of Sao Paulo State Unesp, Rio Claro, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Lab Hematol 30:158-66. 2008..Furthermore, we did not observe any correlation between the anaerobic threshold and the hematological parameters...
- Iron deficiency anemia, beta-thalassemia minor, and anemia of chronic disease: a morphologic reappraisalAlexandra M Harrington
Department of Pathology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 129:466-71. 2008....
- Comparison of iron and hematological indices in Giardia lamblia infection before and after treatment in 102 children in Ahwaz, IranSeyed Mehdi Monajemzadeh
Department of Pediatrics, Golestan Hospital, Ahwaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahwaz, Iran
Med Sci Monit 14:CR19-23. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of giardiasis treatment on hematological indices in children in the Khuzestan area by comparing these indices before and after treatment with metronidazole...
- Reduced Ca2+ entry and suicidal death of erythrocytes in PDK1 hypomorphic miceMichael Foller
Department of Physiology, University of Tuebingen, Gmelinstr 5, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Pflugers Arch 455:939-49. 2008..The experiments reveal that PDK1 deficiency is associated with decreased Ca2+ entry into erythrocytes and thus with blunted eryptotic effects of oxidative stress, osmotic shock and Cl- removal...
- Hematological effects of four ethylene glycol monoalkyl ethers in short-term repeated exposure in ratsAndrzej Starek
Department of Biochemical Toxicology, Medical College, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Arch Toxicol 82:125-36. 2008..On the contrary, tolerance to IPE- and BE-induced hemolysis in rats exposed to these compounds was prompted...
- Reticulocyte hemoglobin content for the diagnosis of iron deficiencyMaria Elena Mateos
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Reina Sofia, Cordoba, Spain
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 30:539-42. 2008..Therefore, we conclude that the hematologic parameter CHr constitutes a valuable screening tool for the identification of ID with or without anemia in childhood...
- Changes of hematological parameters in Prochilodus lineatus (Pisces, Prochilodontidae) exposed to sublethal concentration of cypermethrinM J Parma
Instituto Nacional de Limnología INALI CONICET UNL, Jose Macia 1933, 3016 Santo Tome, Santa Fe, Argentina
J Environ Biol 28:147-9. 2007..These reports indicate that hematological parameters, may be useful as a diagnostic test for cypermethrin exposure in aquatic organisms...
- Effect of oral tetracycline on iron absorption from iron(III)-hydroxide polymaltose complex in patients with iron deficiency anemia / a single-centre randomized controlled isotope studyMaria A Potgieter
Farmovs Parexel, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Arzneimittelforschung 57:376-84. 2007..No differences between the two treatment groups with regard to the erythrocyte iron uptake were found, and thus IPC can be used with tetracycline, if necessary...
- Effect of petroleum products inhalation on some haematological indices of fuel attendants in Calabar metropolis, NigeriaA M Okoro
Department of Physiology, College of Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria
Niger J Physiol Sci 21:71-5. 2006..These results indicate that the petroleum fumes cause a reduction in haematological indices which worsens with prolonged exposure...
- The effect of repeated blood donations on the iron status of Iranian blood donors attending the Iranian blood transfusion organizationMahmoud Djalali
Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Department of Nutrition and Biochemistry, School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research Tehran, Iran
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 76:132-7. 2006....
- The relationship between normocytic, hypochromic anaemia and iron concentration together with hepatic enzyme activities in cattle infected with Fasciola hepaticaS Lotfollahzadeh
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
J Helminthol 82:85-8. 2008..The increased activities of serum enzymes indicated chronic hepatic and bile duct injuries associated with chronic infection with F. hepatica...
- Iron deficiency in the acute-phase reaction after open aortic surgeryJ V Solis
Angiology and Vascular Surgery Department, Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Vasc Endovascular Surg 40:392-8. 2006....
- The influence of dietary vitamin C and E supplementation on the physiological response of pirarucu, Arapaima gigas, in net cultureGlauber Cruz de Menezes
Department of Aquaculture, INPA Amazonian National Research Institute, Av Andre Araujo, 2936, P O Box 478, Manaus, AM 69069 001, Brazil
Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 145:274-9. 2006..gigas immunological status. Red blood cell indices and immune system indicators showed no synergistic effect between the vitamins after supplementing the A. gigas diet with alpha-T+AA...
- The relationship between haematological indices, serum gamma-glutamyl transferase and glutamate dehydrogenase, visual hepatic damage and worm burden in cattle infected with Fasciola giganticaE C Molina
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Southern Mindanao, Kabacan, Cotabato 9407, Philippines
J Helminthol 80:277-9. 2006..Red blood cell counts and packed cell volume were significantly inversely related to worm burden, but animals compensated for reduced numbers of red blood cells by increasing red cell haemoglobin content...
- [Anaemia, iron index status and acute phase proteins in malaria (Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire)]H Ahiboh
Departement de Biochimie, Institut Pasteur de Côte d Ivoire, BP 490 Abidjan 01, Cote d Ivoire
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 101:25-8. 2008..When parasitaemia is low anaemia gets a haemolytic feature. When parasitaemia is high, anaemia gets haemolytic and inflammatory features. Anaemia occurs more often with a good iron index status...
- Incidence of high erythrocyte count in infants and young children with iron deficiency anemia: re-evaluation of an old parameterDeniz Aslan
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 25:303-6. 2003..0 x 106/microL) in infants and young children with iron deficiency anemia and to document the differences in hematologic parameters at diagnosis and during iron therapy in IDA patients with and without a high erythrocyte count...
- Serum transferrin receptor in the evaluation of the iron status in elderly hospitalized patients with anemiaEtienne Joosten
Division of Geriatric Medicine, Department of Physiopathology, University Hospitals K U Leuven, Belgium
Am J Hematol 69:1-6. 2002..We conclude that serum ferritin is a more sensitive and specific parameter than the sTfR assay to predict the bone marrow iron status in an elderly anemic population...
- Iron status and dietary iron intake of adolescents from a rural community in Sabah, MalaysiaLeng Huat Foo
Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 13:48-55. 2004..Priority should therefore be given to the eradication of iron deficiency in adolescents from low-income areas by dietary modification and micronutrient supplementation amongst female adolescents...
- Tolerance and efficacy of intravenous iron saccharate for iron deficiency anemia in children and adolescents receiving long-term parenteral nutritionL Michaud
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine and Children s Hospital, Lille University, Lille, France
Clin Nutr 21:403-7. 2002....
- Erythrocyte protoporphyrin or hemoglobin: which is a better screening test for iron deficiency in children and women?Zuguo Mei
Division of Nutrition and Physical Activity, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 77:1229-33. 2003..Hemoglobin and erythrocyte protoporphyrin (EP) tests are commonly used to screen for iron deficiency. However, little research has been done to systematically evaluate the sensitivity and specificity of these 2 tests...
- Time and temperature dependant changes in red blood cell analytes used for testing recombinant erythropoietin abuse in sportsNeil Robinson
Laboratoire Suisse d Analyse du Dopage, Institut Universitaire de Medecine Legale, Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Lab 50:317-23. 2004..These recommendations should ideally also be applied to the all the blood controls compulsory for the medical follow up, otherwise unexplainable values could be misinterpreted and could for instance lead to a period of incapacity...
- Immunological and hematological effects observed in B6C3F1 mice exposed to JP-8 jet fuel for 14 daysD Keil
National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Morgantown, West Virginia, and Department of Health Professions, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 67:1109-29. 2004....
- Painless Microsampling System for Total Hemoglobin and Hematocrit MonitoringBrian Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2007..Its ease of use will also make it attractive for nursing homes, home health care, and other out-patient point-of-care applications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RBC Ion Transporters as Hemoglobinopathy Risk ModifiersSeth Alper; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed experiments will increase understanding of sickle cell disease and thalassemia by providing mouse models for genetic tests of new drug therapies under development for near-term clinical testing. ..
- Adducin and the Membrane SkeletonLUANNE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2007..Follow up studies will include electrocardiology and echocardiology. ..
- Hemolytic Anemia: ModelsLUANNE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2006..5 isoform in the structure and assembly of the sarcoplasmic reticulum by an in vivo developmental study. ..
- Mouse Models for Heart, Lung and Blood DiseaseLUANNE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2007..New mouse models will be cryo-preserved in order to maintain their availability. Provision are likewise to maintain all JAX PGA resources beyond the PGA program. ..
- GENETIC INTERACTIONS IN RED CELL MEMBRANE DISEASELUANNE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- ORGANELLE MEMBRANES IN PLATELET STORAGE POOL DISEASELUANNE PETERS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Lung fibrosis typically leads to death in the 4th to 5th decades. This study is designed to identify the underlying genetic causes of HPS, which will provide avenues of research for potential therapies. ..
- Modulators of Nitric Oxide Synthase Activity in Sickle Cell DiseaseMary E Fabry; Fiscal Year: 2010..These observations may be applicable to patient interventions. ..
- Iron Status: A Pathway Analysis in Multiple EthnicitiesChristine McLaren; Fiscal Year: 2009..Potential study results could be used to identify individuals at risk for iron deficiency and to develop innovative prevention and treatment strategies. ..
- NORMAL AGING OF BRAIN STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONEDITH VIONI SULLIVAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Initiate longitudinal 4-year follow-up data collection to test hypotheses regarding selective accelerated deterioration of frontally-based brain systems in normal aging. ..
- Erythrocytes, immuno-modulation and G6PD deficiencyZoltan Spolarics; Fiscal Year: 2007..Elucidation of macrophage and T-cell cytokine responses to infection in G6PD deficiency may also be important in providing a mechanism of malaria protection alternative to currently accepted notions. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ALCOHOL, HIV, AND THE BRAINAdolf Pfefferbaum; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specific Aim 3: To establish cross-sectional and longitudinal within-subject relationships among nueroimaging, neuropsychological, and clinical measures. ..
- Therapeutic Modulation of COX-2-induced Immunosuppression in Metastatic RCCBrian Rini; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will have broad implications for the immunoregulation of cancer and how expression and modulation of COX-2 expression influences the immune response to cancer. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION MECHANISMS OF ERYTHROPOIETINBarbara Miller; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- FUNCTIONAL SIGNIFICANCE OF EARLY IRON DEFICIENCYBetsy Lozoff; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Attentional Dysfunction in Children with PhenylketonuriaGeorgianne Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- CEREBELLAR STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION IN ALCOHOLISMEdith Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Determinants of Erythrocyte HydrationCarlo Brugnara; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Taking Community Action Against PainMANNEY REID; Fiscal Year: 2008..g., senior centers). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PATHOGENESIS OF SICKLE CELL GLOMERULOPATHYAntonio Guasch; Fiscal Year: 2001..They hope that this information will help design trials that target patients at higher risk and find new treatments for this disease. ..
- GLUCOSE-6-PHOSPHATE DEHYDROGENASE DEFICIENCY AND SEPSISZoltan Spolarics; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- ETIOLOGY OF STROKE IN CHILDREN WITH SICKLE CELL DISEASESherri Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Based on this fact-finding study, I will design a hypothesis-driven therapeutic clinical trial for children at highest risk of developing stroke. ..
- SICKLING MECHANISMS AND RED CELL MEMBRANESROBERT BOOKCHIN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Once characterized, these will serve investigations within the above three aims. ..
- FACSVantage SE Sorting Flow CytometerJane Barker; Fiscal Year: 2002..Funds are requested to purchase the FACSVantage SE and the optional equipment for TJL's Flow Cytometry Service. This will provide a cost-effective way to fill an urgent need of TJL's principal investigators. ..
- Early Glomerular Changes in Diabetic African-AmericansAntonio Guasch; Fiscal Year: 2004..This may lead to therapies that could be started very early on in diabetic patients targeted at preventing the development of kidney complications. ..
- GENETIC ENGINEERING OF CELLS FROM ANEMIC ANIMALSJane Barker; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MAGNESIUM AND SICKLE CELL DISEASECarlo Brugnara; Fiscal Year: 2005..These aims are consistent with the long-term goals of the applicant, who is focused on the study on membrane transport and volume regulation and the continued development of new therapies for sickle cell disease. ..
- FORMATION AND SURVIVAL OF RED BLOOD CELLSErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Should these point mutations fail to alter gene transcription, a search will be made for other potential mutations in linkage disequilibrium with the known -5,-8 and -24 polymorphisms, by sequencing upstream through the promotor. ..
- Thyrocytes Express Inflammatory MediatorsAndrew Gianoukakis; Fiscal Year: 2006..The candidate will develop the scientific knowledge base, problem solving abilities, and technical skills which will allow him to develop into a independent physician/scientiist. ..
- Effects of Glycosylation on RBC Ca2+ Pump in DiabetesROBERT BOOKCHIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- China MACS: An Exploratory StudyShenghan Lai; Fiscal Year: 2006..The study could have major impact on a HIV-related biological, behavioral, and clinical research that extends beyond China to include all populations at risk for HIV infection. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INDICES OF BIOTIN NUTRITIONDonald Mock; Fiscal Year: 2001..4) Whether biotin deficiency of similar severity to that observed either early or late in human gestation causes increased rates of fetal malformation in the mouse. 5) The enzyme(s) responsible for biotin beta-oxidation. ..
- VIRUS PHOTOINACTIVATION--DIMETHYLMETHYLENE BLUE IN RBCStephen Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- A Mouse Model of Gaucher DiseaseErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2005..In particular, electron microscopy and light microscopy will be used to attempt to demonstrate the development of Gaucher cells in the chimeric mice. ..
- Implementing a Cognitive/Exercise Therapy for Back Pain in The Community SettingMANNEY REID; Fiscal Year: 2008..Elaine Wethington), and geriatric physical therapy and instructional development and evaluation (Dr.Katherine Beissner), and are highly qualified to conduct the planned research. ..
- Maternal flu infection and brain development in primatesChristopher L Coe; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- ALCOHOL, HIV, AND THE BRAINAdolf Pfefferbaum; Fiscal Year: 2004..Specific Aim 3: To establish cross-sectional and longitudinal within-subject relationships among nueroimaging, neuropsychological, and clinical measures. ..