Genomes and Genes
Summary: The number of LYMPHOCYTES per unit volume of BLOOD.
Publications187 found, 100 shown here
- Lymphocyte homeostasis in HIV-infected northern ThaisDoungnapa Kingkeow
Research Institute for Health Sciences, Chiang Mai University, Thailand
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 20:636-41. 2004Cross-sectional laboratory data were used to model the patterns of total lymphocyte count and lymphocyte subpopulation counts among persons with chronic HIV-1 subtype E (CRF01_AE) infection during the 6.5 years preceding death...
- Absolute lymphocyte count is a novel prognostic indicator in extranodal natural killer/T-cell lymphoma, nasal typeJ J Huang
State Key Laboratory of Oncology in Southern China
Ann Oncol 22:149-55. 2011extranodal natural killer (NK)/T-cell lymphoma (ENKL) is a heterogeneous entity with poor survival, requiring risk stratification in affected patients. We proposed absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) as a new prognostic factor in ENKL.
- Control of viremia in simian immunodeficiency virus infection by CD8+ lymphocytesJ E Schmitz
Division of Viral Pathogenesis, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Science 283:857-60. 1999..These results confirm the importance of cell-mediated immunity in controlling HIV-1 infection and support the exploration of vaccination approaches for preventing infection that will elicit these immune responses...
- Regulatory T cells contribute to the impaired immune response in patients with chronic hepatitis B virus infectionJeroen N Stoop
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC-University Medical Center Rotterdam, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Hepatology 41:771-8. 2005..T(reg) have an immunosuppressive effect on HBV-specific T helper cells. The presence of HBV-specific T(reg) could contribute to an inadequate immune response against the virus, leading to chronic infection...
- Endogenous CD4(+) CD25(+) regulatory T cells have a limited role in the control of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in miceJoshua Kotner
Department of Cellular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Infect Immun 75:861-9. 2007..cruzi infection...
- Expansions of peripheral blood CD8 T-lymphocyte subpopulations and an association with cytomegalovirus seropositivity in the elderly: the Swedish NONA immune studyAnders Wikby
Department of Natural Science and Biomedicine, University College of Health Sciences, , Sweden
Exp Gerontol 37:445-53. 2002..As in the OCTO study, the NONA-Immune data indicated that the changes are associated significantly with seropositive responses to CMV...
- Low absolute lymphocyte count is a poor prognostic factor in diffuse-large-B-cell-lymphomaMaria Christina Cox
Department of Hematology, AO Sant Andrea, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 49:1745-51. 2008..018; p < 0.00001). Our data, show that ALC at diagnosis has a strong prognostic relevance and is independent from the R-IPI. The new score including both values proved the most powerful predictor at multivariate analysis...
- CD8+ lymphocytes do not mediate protection against acute superinfection 20 days after vaccination with a live attenuated simian immunodeficiency virusRichard Stebbings
Division of Immunology, NIBSC, Blanche Lane, South Mimms, Potters Bar, Hertfordshire EN6 3QG, United Kingdom
J Virol 79:12264-72. 2005....
- Requirement for CD4 T cell help in generating functional CD8 T cell memoryDevon J Shedlock
Department of Microbiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Science 300:337-9. 2003..These results demonstrate a previously undescribed role for CD4 help in the development of functional CD8 memory...
- Absolute CD4+ T-lymphocyte count as a surrogate marker of pediatric human immunodeficiency virus disease progressionElijah Paintsil
Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:629-35. 2008..We assessed the use of absolute CD4+ T-lymphocyte count as a surrogate marker of pediatric HIV disease progression.
- The levels of CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells in paediatric patients with allergic rhinitis and bronchial asthmaJ H Lee
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, China
Clin Exp Immunol 148:53-63. 2007..With increased expression of FoxP3 and IL-10 in T(reg) from patients with relatively severe allergic disease, adaptive and functional T(reg) might be generated in response to aggravated atopy and disease severity...
- Absolute lymphocyte count is a novel prognostic indicator in ALL and AML: implications for risk stratification and future studiesGuillermo De Angulo
Division of Pediatrics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Cancer 112:407-15. 2008..The prognostic significance of absolute lymphocyte counts (ALC) was evaluated in young patients with acute myeloblastic leukemia (AML) and acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL)...
- SHIP limits immunoregulatory capacity in the T-cell compartmentMichelle M Collazo
Department of Immunology, Moffitt Comprehensive Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL, USA
Blood 113:2934-44. 2009..These findings further define the immunosuppressive mechanisms that result from SHIP deficiency and provide additional justification for targeting SHIP in clinical transplantation...
- Changes in total lymphocyte count as a surrogate for changes in CD4 count following initiation of HAART: implications for monitoring in resource-limited settingsAnish P Mahajan
School of Medicine, Brown University, Providence, RI, 02906, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:567-75. 2004..The total lymphocyte count (TLC) has been proposed as a surrogate marker to monitor immune response to therapy...
- Lymphopenia assessed during routine follow-up after immunochemotherapy (R-CHOP) is a risk factor for predicting relapse in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphomaL F Porrata
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Leukemia 24:1343-9. 2010..Thus, we studied absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) as a marker of poststandard chemotherapy (rituximab, cyclophosphamide, adriamycin, vincristine and ..
- A putative chemokine receptor, BLR1, directs B cell migration to defined lymphoid organs and specific anatomic compartments of the spleenR Forster
Max Delbruck Center for Molecular Medicine, Berlin Buch, Germany
Cell 87:1037-47. 1996..Our results identify the putative chemokine receptor BLR1 as the first G protein-coupled receptor involved in B cell migration and localization of these cells within specific anatomic compartments...
- Absolute lymphocyte counts predicts response to chemotherapy and survival in diffuse large B-cell lymphomaD H Kim
Leukemia 21:2227-30. 2007
- Dynamic development of homing receptor expression and memory cell differentiation of infant CD4+CD25high regulatory T cellsHanna Grindebacke
Department of Rheumatology and Inflammation Research, The Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Box 480, Goteborg 405 30, Sweden
J Immunol 183:4360-70. 2009..These findings suggest that the gut is the primary site of Treg stimulation to exogenous Ags during the first 18 mo of life and that homing receptor switch toward a more extra-intestinal phenotype occurs thereafter...
- The immunologic aspects in advanced ovarian cancer patients treated with paclitaxel and carboplatin chemotherapyXia Wu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Renji Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiaotong University, 200127 Shanghai, China
Cancer Immunol Immunother 59:279-91. 2010..It is probable that the "window" period of days 12-14 after chemotherapy provides the best opportunity for immunotherapy...
- Evidence for translocation of microbial products in patients with idiopathic CD4 lymphocytopeniaPhilip I Lee
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Infect Dis 199:1664-70. 2009..These findings suggest a potential association of translocation of microbial products with perturbed CD4 T cell homeostasis in individuals with CD4 lymphopenic states other than HIV infection...
- Control of viremia and maintenance of intestinal CD4(+) memory T cells in SHIV(162P3) infected macaques after pathogenic SIV(MAC251) challengeBapi Pahar
Tulane National Primate Research Center, Tulane University School of Medicine, Covington, LA 70433, USA
Virology 387:273-84. 2009..These results suggest that protection against pathogenic lentiviral infection or disease progression is indeed possible, and may correlate with preservation of mucosal CD4(+) T cells...
- Population-based hematologic and immunologic reference values for a healthy Ugandan populationEric S Lugada
Center for International Health, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 11:29-34. 2004..These differences could influence the decision to initiate antiretroviral therapy among children infected with HIV...
- Impaired expansion of mouse B cell progenitors lacking BtkJ D Kerner
Department of Immunology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Immunity 3:301-12. 1995..Our results suggest that the murine and human consequences of Btk deficiency differ only quantitatively, and represent the same disease process...
- Inverse correlation between tumoral indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase expression and tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes in endometrial cancer: its association with disease progression and survivalKazuhiko Ino
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 14:2310-7. 2008..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the relationship between IDO expression and tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL) or natural killer (NK) cells and to clarify their prognostic effect in endometrial cancer...
- Duration of humoral immunity to common viral and vaccine antigensIan J Amanna
Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, OR 97006, USA
N Engl J Med 357:1903-15. 2007..Maintenance of long-term antibody responses is critical for protective immunity against many pathogens. However, the duration of humoral immunity and the role played by memory B cells remain poorly defined...
- Absolute lymphocyte count predicts therapeutic efficacy of rituximab therapy in follicular lymphomasDeepti Behl
Division of Hematology Department Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Br J Haematol 137:409-15. 2007..Thus, we studied the role of absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) prior to rituximab therapy on treatment efficacy and TTP in FL patients...
- Impact of peripheral lymphocyte count on the sensitivity of 2 IFN-gamma release assays, QFT-G and ELISPOT, in patients with pulmonary tuberculosisKosaku Komiya
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Tokyo National Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Intern Med 49:1849-55. 2010This study evaluated the effect of peripheral lymphocyte count on 2 interferon-gamma release assays [QuantiFERON TB-Gold (QFT-G) and enzyme-linked immunospot (ELISPOT)] and their sensitivity in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis, ..
- Total lymphocyte count of 1200 is not a sensitive predictor of CD4 lymphocyte count among patients with HIV disease in Kampala, UgandaMoses R Kamya
Makerere University Medical School, Kampala, Uganda
Afr Health Sci 4:94-101. 2004Total Lymphocyte Count (TLC) has been found to be an inexpensive and useful marker for staging disease, predicting progression to AIDS and death and monitoring response to ART...
- Positive association between total lymphocyte count and femur bone mineral density in hip-fractured womenMarco Di Monaco
Osteoporosis Research Centre, Presidio Sanitario San Camillo, Strada Santa Margherita 136, I 10131 Turin, Italy
Gerontology 48:157-61. 2002..Protein depletion appears to play a detrimental role in the causes of hip fracture and low bone mineral density has been observed in protein-depleted subjects...
- Total lymphocyte count, hemoglobin, and delayed-type hypersensitivity as predictors of death and AIDS illness in HIV-1-infected women receiving highly active antiretroviral therapyKathryn Anastos
Women s Interagency HIV Study, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 35:383-92. 2004Total lymphocyte count (TLC) and hemoglobin level have been suggested as useful and inexpensive parameters to indicate need for HAART in settings in which CD4 cell counts are unavailable...
- Absolute lymphocyte count predicts overall survival in follicular lymphomasMustaqeem Siddiqui
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
Br J Haematol 134:596-601. 2006The peripheral blood absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) recovery after autologous stem cell transplantation has been shown to be an independent prognostic factor for survival for different haematologic malignancies...
- Use of total lymphocyte count for monitoring response to antiretroviral therapyTanya Schreibman
Yale University School of Medicine, AIDS Program, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:257-62. 2004..The data regarding the clinical utility of the total lymphocyte count (TLC) as a potential surrogate marker of immune function in patients with HIV disease are examined...
- Prevalence of regulatory T cells is increased in peripheral blood and tumor microenvironment of patients with pancreas or breast adenocarcinomaUdaya K Liyanage
Alvin J. Siteman Cancer Center, Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Immunol 169:2756-61. 2002..These T(reg) may mitigate the immune response against cancer, and may partly explain the poor immune response against tumor Ags...
- Total lymphocyte count (TLC) is a useful tool for the timing of opportunistic infection prophylaxis in India and other resource-constrained countriesN Kumarasamy
Y R G Centre for AIDS Research and Education, Chennai, India
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 31:378-83. 2002..OBJECTIVES To evaluate the correlation of total lymphocyte count (TLC), an inexpensive and widely available parameter, to CD4 count...
- Total lymphocyte count and femoral bone mineral density in postmenopausal womenMarco Di Monaco
Presidio Sanitario San Camillo, Osteoporosis Research Centre, Strada Santa Margherita 136, IT 10131, Turin, Italy
J Bone Miner Metab 22:58-63. 2004..Our aim was to evaluate the association between total lymphocyte count (TLC) and femoral bone mineral density (BMD) in a sample of postmenopausal women...
- Absolute or total lymphocyte count as a marker for the CD4 T lymphocyte criterion for initiating antiretroviral therapyMark A Jacobson
Positive Health Program, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, USA
AIDS 17:917-9. 2003
- Methotrexate-induced lung injury in patients with rheumatoid arthritis occurs with peripheral blood lymphocyte count decreaseS Inokuma
Ann Rheum Dis 65:1113-4. 2006
- Predicting CD4 lymphocyte count <200 cells/mm(3) in an HIV type 1-infected African populationSusan C Morpeth
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, 27710, Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre, Moshi, Tanzania
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 23:1230-6. 2007..of WHO staging criteria, anthropometrics, and simple laboratory measurements for predicting CD4 lymphocyte count (CD4 count) <200 cells/mm(3) among HIV-infected patients in Tanzania...
- Hyper innate responses in neonates lead to increased morbidity and mortality after infectionJie Zhao
Center for Infection and Immunity and National Laboratory of Biomacromolecules, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 15 Datun Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:7528-33. 2008..Therefore, neonates might suffer from the unleashed innate responses caused by an insufficient number of T cells, which leads to increased morbidity and mortality...
- Low absolute lymphocyte count is a poor prognostic marker in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and suggests patients' survival benefit from rituximabYasuhiro Oki
Department of Hematology and Cell Therapy, Aichi Cancer Center Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
Eur J Haematol 81:448-53. 2008To evaluate the prognostic value of absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) at diagnosis in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL).
- Activated antigen-specific CD8+ T cells persist in the lungs following recovery from respiratory virus infectionsR J Hogan
Trudeau Institute, Saranac Lake, NY 12983, USA
J Immunol 166:1813-22. 2001..The kinetics of persistence of Ag-specific CD8(+) T cells in the lung suggests that they play a key role in protective cellular immunity to respiratory virus infections...
- Protein-bound polysaccharide increases survival in resected gastric cancer cases stratified with a preoperative granulocyte and lymphocyte countT Toge
Department of Surgical Oncology, Research Institute for Radiation Biology and Medicine, Hiroshima University, Minami Ku, Hiroshima City, Hiroshima 734 0037, Japan
Oncol Rep 7:1157-61. 2000..In 751 patients who underwent macroscopically curative resection preoperative granulocyte and lymphocyte count ratios (G/L) were measured. These patients were stratified with a preoperative cut-off of G/L:2...
- Absolute lymphocyte count is a prognostic factor in diffuse large B-cell lymphomaM Christina Cox
Br J Haematol 141:265-8. 2008
- A CD8+/CD103high T cell subset regulates TNF-mediated chronic murine ileitisJohnson Ho
Digestive Health Center of Excellence, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Immunol 180:2573-80. 2008..These inflammation-driven populations exert distinct roles during the development of chronic ileitis, and influence the balance of effector and regulatory functions in the chronically inflamed small intestine...
- Single-institution experience with ipilimumab in advanced melanoma patients in the compassionate use setting: lymphocyte count after 2 doses correlates with survivalGeoffrey Y Ku
Ludwig Center for Cancer Immunotherapy, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, USA
Cancer 116:1767-75. 2010..The authors report on advanced refractory melanoma patients treated in a compassionate use trial of ipilimumab at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center...
- Lymphopenia as a prognostic factor in patients with peripheral T-cell lymphoma, unspecifiedJorge J Castillo
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Division of Hematology and Oncology, The Miriam Hospital, Providence, RI, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 51:1822-8. 2010..The aim of our study was to retrospectively evaluate the presence of lymphopenia, defined as a lymphocyte count of<1000 cells/mm³, as a prognostic factor for survival in patients with PTCLU...
- Absolute lymphocyte count at the time of first relapse predicts survival in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphomaLuis F Porrata
Division of Hematology Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Hematol 84:93-7. 2009Peripheral blood absolute lymphocyte count (ALC) is a survival prognostic factor in hematological malignancies. No reports have addressed whether ALC at the time of first relapse (ALC-R) predicts survival...
- Total lymphocyte count: not a surrogate marker for risk of death in HIV-infected Ugandan childrenPhilippa M Musoke
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:171-8. 2008To determine the utility of total lymphocyte count (TLC) in predicting the 12-month mortality in HIV-infected Ugandan children and to correlate TLC and CD4 cell %.
- CD4 T-lymphocyte recovery in individuals with advanced HIV-1 infection receiving potent antiretroviral therapy for 4 years: the Swiss HIV Cohort StudyGilbert R Kaufmann
Basel Center for HIV Research, Division of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Arch Intern Med 163:2187-95. 2003..The CD4 T-lymphocyte count increase, the percentage of individuals with a CD4 T-lymphocyte count of 500/microL or greater and less than ..
- Intraepithelial CD8+ T-cell-count becomes a prognostic factor after a longer follow-up period in human colorectal carcinoma: possible association with suppression of micrometastasisT Chiba
Division of Advanced Surgical Science and Technology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Br J Cancer 91:1711-7. 2004..In conclusion, our data support a hypothesis on the presence of systemic immunosurveillance against micrometastasis of cancer cells...
- Cutting edge: programmed death-1 up-regulation is involved in the attrition of cytomegalovirus-specific CD8+ T cells in acute self-limited hepatitis B virus infectionJi Yuan Zhang
Research Center for Biological Therapy, Beijing 302 Hospital, Beijing, China
J Immunol 181:3741-4. 2008..Thus, PD-1 plays a crucial role in the attrition of CMV-specific CD8(+) T cells in acute hepatitis B virus infection, which in turn, influences the preexisting homeostatic virus-specific CD8(+) T cell pool...
- Accelerated lymphocyte death in sepsis occurs by both the death receptor and mitochondrial pathwaysRichard S Hotchkiss
Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Immunol 174:5110-8. 2005..Lymphocyte loss occurs by both death receptor and mitochondrial-mediated apoptosis, suggesting that there may be multiple triggers for lymphocyte apoptosis...
- Assessment of the Th1/Th2 paradigm in whole blood in atopy and asthma. Increased IFN-gamma-producing CD8(+) T cells in asthmaA O Magnan
UPRES 2050, Groupe de Recherche Clinique Pathologie respiratoire et cutanée liée à l environnement, Service de pneumo allergologie, et Centre d Investigations Cliniques, INSERM, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Marseille, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 161:1790-6. 2000..In addition, this number was correlated to IL-12 production. These results show that in addition to the well-known Th2 inflammation in asthma, there are IFN-gamma-producing CD8(+) T cells in the blood, possibly controlled by IL-12...
- The follicular versus marginal zone B lymphocyte cell fate decision is regulated by Aiolos, Btk, and CD21A Cariappa
Cancer Center and, Massachusetts General Hospital and, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02129, USA
Immunity 14:603-15. 2001..These data support the view that antigens (in contrast to "tonic" signals) drive the development of naive B cells...
- Neutrophil/lymphocyte ratio and its association with survival after complete resection in non-small cell lung cancerKhaled M Sarraf
Academic Division of Thoracic Surgery, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:425-8. 2009..We sought to determine factors associated with increasing neutrophil/lymphocyte ratios and the stage-adjusted prognostic effect in patients undergoing resection for non-small cell lung cancer...
- Treatment of psoriasis with alefacept: correlation of clinical improvement with reductions of memory T-cell countsKenneth B Gordon
Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Arch Dermatol 139:1563-70. 2003..To examine the relationship between the pharmacodynamic and antipsoriatic effects of alefacept, a biologic agent that targets CD4+ and CD8+ memory T cells...
- Recurrent cytomegalovirus retinitis in a patient with a normal lymphocyte count who had undergone splenectomy for lymphomaBrendan Vote
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Retina 25:220-1. 2005
- Resource competition determines selection of B cell repertoiresR J De Boer
Theoretical Biology, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
J Theor Biol 212:333-43. 2001....
- Airway mucosal inflammation in COPD is similar in smokers and ex-smokers: a pooled analysisE Gamble
Department of Respiratory Medicine, London Chest Hospital, Bonner Road, London, UK
Eur Respir J 30:467-71. 2007..It is concluded that, in established chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, the bronchial mucosal inflammatory cell infiltrate is similar in ex-smokers and those that continue to smoke...
- Programmed cell death 1 ligand 1 and tumor-infiltrating CD8+ T lymphocytes are prognostic factors of human ovarian cancerJunzo Hamanishi
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, 54 Shogoin Kawahara cho, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:3360-5. 2007..A significant inverse correlation was observed between PD-L1 expression and the intraepithelial CD8(+) T lymphocyte count, suggesting that PD-L1 on tumor cells directly suppresses antitumor CD8(+) T cells...
- Sepsis-induced apoptosis causes progressive profound depletion of B and CD4+ T lymphocytes in humansR S Hotchkiss
Department of Anesthesiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 South Euclid, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Immunol 166:6952-63. 2001..Similar loss of lymphocytes may be occurring in critically ill patients with other disorders...
- Correlation of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1) mRNA with proviral DNA load, virus-specific CD8(+) T cells, and disease severity in HTLV-1-associated myelopathy (HAM/TSP)Yoshihisa Yamano
Viral Immunology Section, Neuroimmunology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Blood 99:88-94. 2002..These data suggest that increased HTLV-1 expression plays an important role in the pathogenesis of HAM/TSP, and the HTLV-1 tax mRNA level could be a useful predictor of disease progression in patients with HAM/TSP...
- Disruption of a new forkhead/winged-helix protein, scurfin, results in the fatal lymphoproliferative disorder of the scurfy mouseM E Brunkow
Celltech Chiroscience, Inc, Bothell, Washington, USA
Nat Genet 27:68-73. 2001..In sf mice, a frameshift mutation results in a product lacking the forkhead domain. Genetic complementation demonstrates that the protein product of Foxp3, scurfin, is essential for normal immune homeostasis...
- Are alterations of lymphocyte subpopulations in polymicrobial sepsis and DHEA treatment mediated by the tumour necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha receptor (TNF-RI)? A study in TNF-RI (TNF-RI(-/-)) knock-out rodentsF Hildebrand
Hannover Medical School, Trauma Department, Hannover, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 138:221-9. 2004..Our study suggests that NK cells are involved in the protective mechanism of DHEA in WT mice. It would therefore seem that DHEA represents a feasible alternative therapy for the dysregulated immune system in sepsis...
- [Immunologically-competent cells in liver infiltrating lymphocytes in patients with chronic severe hepatitis B]Zheng Sheng Zou
No 4 Department of Infectious Diseases, Hospital No 302 of Chinese People s Liberation Army, Beijing 100039, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 87:2416-9. 2007..To investigate the frequencies of immunologically competent cells (ICCs) in the liver-infiltrating lymphocytes (LILs) and peripheral blood and their possible role in pathogenesis in patients with chronic severe hepatitis B (CSHB)...
- The number of CD8+ T cells and NKT cells increases in the aqueous humor of patients with BehÃ§et's uveitisH G Yu
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul Artificial Eye Centre, Seoul National University Hospital Clinical Research Institute, Seoul, Korea
Clin Exp Immunol 137:437-43. 2004..05). These results suggest that the immunopathogenesis of endogenous uveitis can vary between syndromes, and that CD8+CD56+ NKT cells may play an important role in the immunopathogenesis of BehÃ§et's uveitis...
- Immunohematological reference values for healthy adults in Burkina FasoN Klose
Department of Virology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:782-4. 2007..CD4(+) T-cell counts ranged from 631 to 1,696 cells microl(-1); they were lower in males (n = 97) than in females (n = 89), whereas natural killer cell counts were higher...
- Evaluation of a simplified dual-platform flow cytometric method for measurement of lymphocyte subsets and T-cell maturation phenotypes in the population of Nouna, Burkina FasoT Bohler
Department of Virology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:775-81. 2007..Among CD8(bright) lymphocytes, 3% +/- 2% had a central memory phenotype, 27% +/- 13% were naïve, 37% +/- 13% had an effector memory phenotype, and 34% +/- 12% were terminally differentiated effector memory cells expressing CD45RA...
- Effect of medical castration on CD4+ CD25+ T cells, CD8+ T cell IFN-gamma expression, and NK cells: a physiological role for testosterone and/or its metabolitesStephanie T Page
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E856-63. 2006..In addition, sex steroids suppress NK cell proliferation. This study supports a complex physiological role for T and/or its metabolites in immune regulation...
- Prolongation of allograft survival in ccr7-deficient miceJan H Beckmann
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Hannover Medical School, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Transplantation 77:1809-14. 2004..Because CCR7 is the essential chemokine receptor responsible for lymphocyte and dendritic cell homing to secondary lymphoid organs, allograft survival was analyzed in CCR7-deficient (CCR7) mice...
- Augmentation of virus-specific immunity after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation by adoptive T-cell therapyKarl S Peggs
Department of Haematology, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, London, United Kingdom
Hum Immunol 65:550-7. 2004..This simple in vitro methodology should allow widespread application of adoptive transfer of virus-specific T cells...
- Lymphocyte numbers and function in relation to periodontitis and smokingBruno G Loos
Department of Periodontology, Academic Center for Dentistry Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Periodontol 75:557-64. 2004..Taking smoking into consideration, the aim of this study was to analyze numbers of circulating T (CD3+) cells and their CD4+ and CD8+ subpopulations, B (CD19+) cells, and T-cell proliferative capacity in periodontitis...
- Immune cell variations in patients with hip fractureFelícito García-Álvarez
Department of Traumatology, University Clinical Hospital Lozano Blesa, Avda San Juan Bosco 15, 50009 Zaragoza, Spain
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 46:117-24. 2008..Basophils percentage presented an inverse correlation with age. Age is associated to some immune changes in patients suffering hip fracture...
- Thymic function and impaired maintenance of peripheral T cell populations in children with congenital heart disease and surgical thymectomyNancy J Halnon
Division of Pediatric, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Pediatr Res 57:42-8. 2005..especially if they include thymectomy, impair T-cell production and produce long-term decreases in total lymphocyte count and CD4(+) and CD8(+) T-cell subsets, suggesting that long-term maintenance of lymphocyte populations is ..
- Humoral and cellular immune responses in children given annual immunization with trivalent inactivated influenza vaccineAlenka M Zeman
Department of Pediatrics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5208, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:107-15. 2007..There have been no prior reports of the frequency of circulating influenza-specific, interferon gamma-producing memory CD4+ and CD8+ T-cells in healthy children who have received multiple influenza immunizations...
- Pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic modeling of total lymphocytes and selected subtypes after oral budesonideJeffrey G Stark
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville, 32610, USA
J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn 33:441-59. 2006....
- Cytometric analysis of BAL T cells labeled with a standardized antibody cocktail correlates with immunohistochemical stainingPatricia A Smith
Pulmonary Division, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, 46202, USA
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 70:170-8. 2006....
- Hyporesponsiveness of T cell subsets after cardiac surgery: a product of altered cell function or merely a result of absolute cell count changes in peripheral blood?Axel Franke
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Bundeswehr Central Hospital, Rübenacher Str 170, D 56072 Koblenz, Germany
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:64-71. 2006..We conducted a prospective study in order to test the hypothesis that the decrease in specific immunity is not caused by dilution effects but by functional alterations in T cell subsets...
- Naïve T-cell dynamics in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection: effects of highly active antiretroviral therapy provide insights into the mechanisms of naive T-cell depletionMichele Di Mascio
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 6700 B Rockledge Drive, MSC 7609, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Virol 80:2665-74. 2006..These observations are consistent with a mathematical model where the HIV-1-induced increase in proliferation of naïve T cells is mostly explained by a faster recruitment into memory cells...
- Age-related changes in cell surface and senescence markers in the spleen of DBA/2 mice: a flow cytometric analysisAbbie C Connoy
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Infectious Diseases, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, 100 Medical Center Blvd, Winston Salem, NC 27157-1042, USA
Exp Gerontol 41:225-9. 2006..The senescence marker p16INK4a increases in B cells and CD8+T cells within the spleen and can be measured by flow cytometry...
- Are increased frequency of macrophage-like and natural killer (NK) cells, together with high levels of NKT and CD4+CD25high T cells balancing activated CD8+ T cells, the key to control Chagas' disease morbidity?D M Vitelli-Avelar
Laboratório de Doença de Chagas, Centro de Pesquisas Rene Rachou, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Clin Exp Immunol 145:81-92. 2006....
- Gemcitabine selectively eliminates splenic Gr-1+/CD11b+ myeloid suppressor cells in tumor-bearing animals and enhances antitumor immune activityEiji Suzuki
Thoracic Oncology Research Laboratory, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:6713-21. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that gemcitabine may be a practical strategy for the reduction of myeloid suppressor cells and should be evaluated in conjunction with a variety of immunotherapy approaches...
- Detailed analysis of Epstein-Barr virus-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cell responses during infectious mononucleosisJ Scherrenburg
Department of Immunology, University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Clin Exp Immunol 153:231-9. 2008....
- Immunologic features of HIV-1-infected women on HAART at deliveryErika Ono
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 74:236-43. 2008..The conjoint effect of HIV infection and pregnancy on the immune system of women submitted to the prophylactic antiretroviral therapy presently recommended is still poorly understood...
- Lymphocyte subsets' reference ranges in an age- and gender-balanced population of 100 healthy adults--a monocentric German studyKathleen Jentsch-Ullrich
Department of Haematology Oncology, Medical Faculty, Otto von Guericke University, Leipziger Str 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Clin Immunol 116:192-7. 2005..Based on these results, we established reference values for three subgroups: males < or = 50 years, females < or = 50 years, and males/females > 50 years...
- Association of selected phenotypic markers of lymphocyte activation and differentiation with perinatal human immunodeficiency virus transmission and infant infectionJohn S Lambert
Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 12:622-31. 2005..Detailed immunophenotyping may be useful in supporting the diagnosis of HIV infection in infants with perinatal HIV exposure...
- [Lymphocyte populations and subpopulations in peripheral blood of pregnant women with pre-eclampsia]E Dimitrakova-Dzhambazova
Akush Ginekol (Sofiia) 44:40-4. 2005..blood of 37 pregnant women, of whom 12 had preeclampsia and 25 had normal pregnancy pespectively: Total lymphocyte count CD19+ (B-lymphocytes), CD2+ (Total T-lymphocytes), CD3+ (Immunocompetent T-lymphocytes) CD3+CD4+ (T-helpers), ..
- Mathematically modeling dynamics of T cell responses: predictions concerning the generation of memory cellsBrynja Kohler
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Utah State University, 3900 Old Main Hill, Logan, UT 84322, USA
J Theor Biol 245:669-76. 2007..We also propose a method of distinguishing the models by examining the ratio of memory T cells detectable long after an infection to the peak numbers of T cells at the end of the expansion phase...
- Low-dose interleukin-2 administered pre-operatively to patients with gastric cancer activates peripheral and peritumoral lymphocytes but does not affect prognosisGiovanni Carlo Cesana
Department of General Surgery, University of Milano Bicocca, S Gerardo Hospital, via Donizzetti 106, Monza, 20052 Milan, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 14:1295-304. 2007..The aim of this randomized case-control study is to evaluate the effects of pre-operative low-dose IL-2 treatment on patients with gastric adenocarcinoma who undergo surgery...
- A combined HIV-1 protein bead array for serology assay and T-cell subset immunophenotyping with a hybrid flow cytometer: a step in the direction of a comprehensive multitasking instrument platform for infectious disease diagnosis and monitoringSylvie Faucher
National HIV Immunology Laboratory, National HIV and Retrovirology Laboratories, Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 70:179-88. 2006..These hybrid instruments provide an opportunity for the development of a more cost effective multitasking platform to support infectious disease treatment in resource limited countries...
- Enrichment of memory T cells and other profound immunological changes in the bone marrow from untreated breast cancer patientsM Feuerer
Division of Cellular Immunology, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Cancer 92:96-105. 2001..The overall results reveal that BM is a valuable additional compartment for immune diagnosis in pathological conditions and possibly for follow-up treatment strategies...
- Intestinal T lymphocytes of different rat strains in immunotoxicityM C Bruder
TNO Nutrition and Food Research Institute, Department of General Toxicology, Zeist, The Netherlands
Toxicol Pathol 27:171-9. 1999..The data indicate that the intraepithelial lymphocytes in the intestines are a potential target for orally administered immunomodulating compounds and should therefore receive more attention in toxicologic pathology studies...
- Dynamics of T cell responses in HIV infectionVictor Appay
Medical Research Council Human Immunology Unit, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Immunol 168:3660-6. 2002..These observations have significant implications for our understanding of T cell responses in human viral infections in general and indicate that the definition of effector and memory subsets in humans may need revision...
- Immunophenotypic characterization of peripheral T lymphocytes in Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection and diseaseD S S Rodrigues
Infectious Diseases Discipline and Immunization Center, , , Brazil
Clin Exp Immunol 128:149-54. 2002..tuberculosis...
- The transcription factor NFAT4 is involved in the generation and survival of T cellsM Oukka
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Immunity 9:295-304. 1998..Further, mice lacking NFAT4 have impaired production of Bcl-2 mRNA and protein. NFAT4 thus plays an important role in the successful generation and survival of T cells...
- Lymphocyte subset pattern in acromegalyA Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University of Naples, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 25:125-8. 2002..These data further support the existence of abnormalities of the immune system in patients with chronic GH/IGF-1 excess...
- Phenotype and regulation of persistent intracerebral T cells in murine Toxoplasma encephalitisDirk Schluter
Institut fur Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene, Universitatsklinikum Mannheim, Universitat Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
J Immunol 169:315-22. 2002..In chronic TE, T cell recruitment is terminated, the phenotype of intracerebral T cells changes, and their number is gradually downsized by low level apoptosis, which, however, does not completely resolve the T cell infiltrates...
- Deficiencies in CD4+ and CD8+ T cell subsets in ataxia telangiectasiaR Schubert
Department of Paediatrics, Rheinische Friedrich Wilhelms Universitat, Bonn, Germany
Clin Exp Immunol 129:125-32. 2002..Taken together, our results suggest that deficiency of immunocompetent cells and an intrinsic immune activation defect are responsible for the immunodeficiency in AT...
- Impaired effector function of hepatitis C virus-specific CD8+ T cells in chronic hepatitis C virus infectionHeiner Wedemeyer
Liver Diseases Section, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Immunol 169:3447-58. 2002..Thus, the defective functions of HCV-specific CD8+ T cells might contribute to viral persistence in chronically infected patients, and knowledge on their reversibility may facilitate the development of immunotherapeutic vaccines...
- T cell-mediated elimination of B7.2 transgenic B cellsS Fournier
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California at Berkeley, 94720, USA
Immunity 6:327-39. 1997..2 transgenic B cells are not eliminated, but proliferate and differentiate normally. Our findings suggest that, in the absence of high affinity ligand for the TCR, the CD28-B7.2 system participates in the regulation of B cell homeostasis...
- Lymphocyte subpopulations in breast-fed and formula-fed infants at six months of ageJ S Hawkes
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, The Flinders University of South Australia, Bedford Park, Australia
Adv Exp Med Biol 501:497-504. 2001..4 in formula-fed infants (P < 0.001). Conclusion: Breast-fed infants (<250mL formula/bovine milk per week) had a greater proportion of NK cells and a lower CD4 to CD8 ratio than formula-fed infants at 6 months of age...
- MICRONUTRIENTS AND MOTHER TO CHILD TRANSMISSION OF HIVRichard Semba; Fiscal Year: 2001..women with (cases) and without (control) elevated breastmilk sodium were matched by plasma HIV load and CD4+ lymphocyte count. Cases has a median breastmilk HIV load of 1765 copies/mL compared with undetectable load in controls (p less ..
- Non-CD4 Host defense against P. carinii PneumoniaJay K Kolls; Fiscal Year: 2010..The well-known inverse relationship between CD4+ lymphocyte count and the risk of PC infection does not hold all of the answers to mechanisms of host defense against this ..
- Opioid-Mediated Fas Expression in Lymphocyte ApoptosisYufang Shi; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results should lead to an understanding of the effects of space flight environment on human immune system. ..
- Psychological stress, cortisol, and B lymphocyte decrementsBonnie McGregor; Fiscal Year: 2007..The present study will begin to elucidate the mechanism by which psychological stress impairs immune response to vaccines. ..
- Immune Response to pneumococcal vaccination in HIV infected adultsM A JULIA WESTERINK; Fiscal Year: 2010..the vaccine is less than optimal and correlates with the degree of immune suppression as measured by CD4+ T-lymphocyte count (1-10)...
- Iscar for Supplemental Care in Stage IV Lung CancerSteven Rosenzweig; Fiscal Year: 2003..a.) will increase markers of immune function (as determined by total lymphocyte count, eosinophil count, and lymphocyte subset analysis), AND (l.b...
- CD8 AND GAMMA/DELTA T CELLS IN P CARINII PNEUMONIAJay Kolls; Fiscal Year: 2002..Although there is a well-known relationship between CD4+ lymphocyte count and the risk of PC infection, the role of mononuclear phagocytes, CD8+ cells, gamma/delta T cells, and their ..
- ENDODONTIC TREATMENT FOR PERSONS WHO ARE HIV POSITIVEDavid Rosenstein; Fiscal Year: 2001..cellular immunity function will be accurate predictors for endodontic success or failure, and that the CD4 lymphocyte count alone is an inadequate base for making such decisions...
- NON CD4 HOST DEFENSE AGAINST P CARINII PNEUMONIAJay Kolls; Fiscal Year: 2002..Although there is a well-known relationship between CD4+ lymphocyte count and the risk of PC infection, the role of mononuclear phagocytes, CD8+ cells, NK cells, and their secreted ..
- PREVENTION OF PNEUMOCOCCAL DISEASE IN HIV INFECTIONMARY MCELLISTREM; Fiscal Year: 2004..concentrations will be analyzed by logistic regression to assess the effect of initial viral load and CD4 lymphocyte count. All patients who exhibit a greater that 3-fold transient rise in HIV-1 RNA levels 2 and 4 weeks ..
- T CELL INFLAMMATION AND MUCIN HYPERSECRETION IN COPDJohn Fahy; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Novel MRS Methods to Characterize MCMDKarl Goodkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..disorder (MCMD)] and pathophysiological indices (plasma HIV-1 RNA load; CD4 cell count; cytotoxic T lymphocyte count)...
- The Utility of Interferon-Gamma Release Assays in TB-HIV co-infected ChildrenAnna Mandalakas; Fiscal Year: 2007..A focused set of standardized measures of age, nutrition and HIV-related immune status (CD4 T lymphocyte count) will be collected to fully assess their effect on the TST and IGRAs...
- Clinical Algorithms to Monitor HIV Treatment in UgandaLisa Spacek; Fiscal Year: 2007..The initiation and monitoring of ART are guided by algorithms that combine clinical symptoms, CD4 lymphocyte count, and HIV viral load...
- PREVENTION OF HIV SHEDDING IN WOMEN--TRIAL OF VITAMIN AJulie Overbaugh; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, venous blood will be obtained at the two time points for quantification of plasma HIV-1 RNA, CD4 lymphocyte count, and serum vitamin A levels...
- PREVENTION OF HIV SHEDDING IN WOMEN--TRIAL OF VITAMIN AJoan Kreiss; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, venous blood will be obtained at the two time points for quantification of plasma HIV-1 RNA, CD4 lymphocyte count, and serum vitamin A levels...
- The Utility of Interferon-Gamma Release Assays in TB-HIV co-infected ChildrenAnna M Mandalakas; Fiscal Year: 2010..A focused set of standardized measures of age, nutrition and HIV-related immune status (CD4 T lymphocyte count) will be collected to fully assess their effect on the TST and IGRAs...