Genomes and Genes
Summary: Determination of which one of two or more diseases or conditions a patient is suffering from by systematically comparing and contrasting results of diagnostic measures.
Publications330 found, 100 shown here
- A serum autoantibody marker of neuromyelitis optica: distinction from multiple sclerosisVanda A Lennon
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Lancet 364:2106-12. 2004..We assessed the capacity of a putative marker for neuromyelitis optica (NMO-IgG) to distinguish neuromyelitis optica and related disorders from multiple sclerosis...
- Revised diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis opticaD M Wingerchuk
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Neurology 66:1485-9. 2006..A serum autoantibody marker, NMO-IgG, is highly specific for NMO. The authors propose revised NMO diagnostic criteria that incorporate NMO-IgG status...
- Clinical and pathological diagnosis of frontotemporal dementia: report of the Work Group on Frontotemporal Dementia and Pick's DiseaseG M McKhann
Department of Neurology, Zanvyl Krieger Mind Brain Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 338 Krieger Hall, 3400 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21218 2685, USA
Arch Neurol 58:1803-9. 2001..In addition, recommendations for the neuropathological criteria of FTD were reviewed, relative to classical neuropathology and modern molecular biology...
- Real-time ultrasound elastography in the differential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodulesYurong Hong
Second Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University College of Medicine, Zhejiang, China
J Ultrasound Med 28:861-7. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic utility of real-time ultrasound elastography in differentiating benign from malignant thyroid nodules...
- Differential diagnosis of hepatic tumors: value of contrast-enhanced harmonic sonography using the newly developed contrast agent, SonazoidKinuyo Hatanaka
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kinki University School of Medicine, Osaka Sayama, Japan
Intervirology 51:61-9. 2008To clarify the value of contrast-enhanced harmonic ultrasonography (US) with Sonazoid, a second-generation US contrast agent, in the differential diagnosis of liver tumors compared to dynamic CT.
- Differential diagnosis of suspected multiple sclerosis: a consensus approachD H Miller
Department of Inflammation, Institute of Neurology, NMR Research Unit, University College London, UK
Mult Scler 14:1157-74. 2008..A systematic process for exclusion of alternative diagnoses has not been defined. An International Panel of MS experts developed consensus perspectives on MS differential diagnosis.
- A novel panel of cerebrospinal fluid biomarkers for the differential diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease versus normal aging and frontotemporal dementiaA H Simonsen
Biomarker Discovery Center Facility, Ciphergen Biosystems Inc, Copenhagen, Denmark
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 24:434-40. 2007..An early and accurate diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease (AD) is important in order to initiate symptomatic treatment with currently approved drugs and will be of even greater importance with the advent of disease-modifying compounds...
- US-elastography in the differential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodulesCarmela Asteria
Department of Experimental Endocrinology and Cardiovascular Prevention, Policlinico Multimedica, IRCCS, Milan, Sesto San Giovanni, Italy
Thyroid 18:523-31. 2008..This technique has previously been shown to be useful in the differential diagnosis between benign and malignant tumors.
- Detecting acute coronary syndrome in the emergency department with cardiac magnetic resonance imagingRaymond Y Kwong
Laboratory of Cardiac Energetics, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1061, USA
Circulation 107:531-7. 2003..Managing chest pain in the emergency department remains a challenge with current diagnostic strategies. We hypothesized that cardiac MRI could accurately identify patients with possible or probable acute coronary syndrome...
- Granulomatous lung disease: an approach to the differential diagnosisSanjay Mukhopadhyay
Department of Pathology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 134:667-90. 2010..Although most pathologists are aware of the need to exclude an infection in this setting, there is less familiarity with the specific histologic features that aid in the differential diagnosis.
- Thrombocytopenia in pregnancy: differential diagnosis, pathogenesis, and managementKeith R McCrae
Hematology Oncology, BRB3, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and University Hospitals of Cleveland, 10900 Euclid Avenue, OH 44106 4937, USA
Blood Rev 17:7-14. 2003..In this review, we discuss the differential diagnosis of the more common causes of pregnancy-associated thrombocytopenia, and provide an overview of approaches ..
- Measurement of phosphorylated tau epitopes in the differential diagnosis of Alzheimer disease: a comparative cerebrospinal fluid studyHarald Hampel
Dementia Research Section and Memory Clinic, Alzheimer Memorial Center and Geriatric Psychiatry Branch, Department of Psychiatry, Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich, Germany
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:95-102. 2004..Different tau phosphoepitopes can be sensitively detected in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF)...
- Intraocular tuberculosis--an updateVishali Gupta
Doheny Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 52:561-87. 2007....
- Olfaction and Parkinson's syndromes: its role in differential diagnosisRegina Katzenschlager
The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, UK
Curr Opin Neurol 17:417-23. 2004..We review recent advances related to its cause and its clinical relevance with respect to the differential diagnosis of Parkinsonian syndromes.
- Nodular lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin lymphoma with nodules resembling T-cell/histiocyte-rich B-cell lymphoma: differential diagnosis between nodular lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin lymphoma and T-cell/histiocyte-rich B-cell lymphomaLudmila Boudova
Department of Pathology, Josef Schneider Str 2, D 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Blood 102:3753-8. 2003..They are linked by a morphologic and probably a biologic continuum, which renders the differential diagnosis difficult...
- Comparative study of conventional colonoscopy, chromoendoscopy, and narrow-band imaging systems in differential diagnosis of neoplastic and nonneoplastic colonic polypsMing Yao Su
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Lin Kou Medical Center, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2711-6. 2006..To identify the feasibility of the narrow-band imaging (NBI) method compared with that of conventional colonoscopy and chromoendoscopy for distinguishing neoplastic and nonneoplastic colonic polyps...
- Myofascial pain associated to trigger points: a literature review. Part 2: differential diagnosis and treatmentEduardo Vazquez-Delgado
TMJ Disease and Orofacial Pain Unit of Master of Oral Surgery Degree Program, University of Kentucky Dental School, USA
Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 15:e639-43. 2010..Many clinical conditions are included in the differential diagnosis of myofascial pain associated to trigger points...
- DOG1 antibody in the differential diagnosis of gastrointestinal stromal tumors: a study of 1840 casesMarkku Miettinen
Department of Soft Tissue Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 6825 16th Street, NW, Building 54, Room G090, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 33:1401-8. 2009..DOG1 should be added into the diagnostic panel evaluating GI and other abdominal tumors, but limitations in its sensitivity and specificity should be recognized...
- Characterization of neoplastic and normal human breast tissues with in vivo (1)H MR spectroscopyK A Kvistad
MR Center, Medical Division, University Hospital, N 7006 Trondheim, Norway
J Magn Reson Imaging 10:159-64. 1999..Analysis of lipid signals did not contribute to differentiation between various breast lesions and tissues. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging 1999;10:159-164...
- A genomic and transcriptomic approach for a differential diagnosis between primary and secondary ovarian carcinomas in patients with a previous history of breast cancerJean Philippe Meyniel
Department of Translational Research, Institut Curie, 26 Rue d Ulm, 75248 Paris, Cedex 05, France
BMC Cancer 10:222. 2010..The purpose of the present work was to develop genomic and transcriptomic tools to further refine the pathological diagnosis of ovarian tumors after a previous history of breast cancer...
- Burkitt's lymphoma: clinicopathologic features and differential diagnosisJudith A Ferry
James Homer Wright Pathology Laboratories of the Massachusetts General Hospital and the Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 02114, USA
Oncologist 11:375-83. 2006..The differential diagnosis of Burkitt's lymphoma is broad, and precise diagnosis based on histologic, immunophenotypic, and genetic ..
- Differential diagnosis of parkinsonism: a metabolic imaging study using pattern analysisChris C Tang
Center for Neurosciences, The Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Manhasset, NY, USA
Lancet Neurol 9:149-58. 2010..We aimed to assess whether metabolic brain imaging combined with spatial covariance analysis could accurately discriminate patients with parkinsonism who had different underlying disorders...
- Levels of brain related proteins in cerebrospinal fluid: an aid in the differential diagnosis of parkinsonian disordersRadu Constantinescu
Department of Neurology, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 15:205-12. 2009..The initial differential diagnosis can be extremely challenging with major implications for prognosis...
- Banff '05 Meeting Report: differential diagnosis of chronic allograft injury and elimination of chronic allograft nephropathy ('CAN')K Solez
University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Transplant 7:518-26. 2007..Participation of B cells in allograft rejection and genomics markers of rejection were also major subjects addressed by the conference...
- Does combined imaging of the pre- and postsynaptic dopaminergic system increase the diagnostic accuracy in the differential diagnosis of parkinsonism?Walter Koch
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Munich, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 34:1265-73. 2007..quantitative information about the dopaminergic system would provide a higher diagnostic accuracy in the differential diagnosis of parkinsonism than specific striatal D(2) receptor binding alone...
- Germ cell tumors of the gonads: a selective review emphasizing problems in differential diagnosis, newly appreciated, and controversial issuesThomas M Ulbright
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Clarian Health Partners and Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5280, USA
Mod Pathol 18:S61-79. 2005....
- Clinicopathological correlates in frontotemporal dementiaJohn R Hodges
Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute, The University of New South Wales, Randwick, New South Wales, Australia
Ann Neurol 56:399-406. 2004..Therefore, the pathological substrate can be predicted in a significant proportion of FTD patients, which has important implications for studies targeting mechanistic treatments...
- Characterization of lesions of the breast with proton MR spectroscopy: comparison of carcinomas, benign lesions, and phyllodes tumorsGary M K Tse
Department of Anatomical and Cellular Pathology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Ngan Shing St, Shatin, Hong Kong, SAR China
AJR Am J Roentgenol 181:1267-72. 2003..All lesions were larger than 1.5 cm. Tumor Ki-67 proliferative index, tumor angiogenesis, and HER2/neu oncogene overexpression were evaluated by immunohistochemistry of the histologic material...
- Congenital malaria, an important differential diagnosis to consider when evaluating febrile infants of immigrant mothersStefan Hagmann
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Bronx Lebanon Hospital Center, Bronx, NY 10457, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 23:326-9. 2007..Because of its nonspecific presentation with fever during the first 3 months of life, it is an important differential diagnosis when evaluating such infants with fever in the pediatric emergency department...
- Value of autoantibody analysis in the differential diagnosis of chronic cholestatic liver diseasePiotr Milkiewicz
Department of Medicine, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:1355-60. 2009....
- Comparative study of conventional colonoscopy, magnifying chromoendoscopy, and magnifying narrow-band imaging systems in the differential diagnosis of small colonic polyps between trainee and experienced endoscopistChun Chao Chang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Medical University Hospital and Digestive Disease Research Center, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Colorectal Dis 24:1413-9. 2009..We compared the ability of a trainee and an experienced endoscopist in distinguishing between neoplastic polyps and nonneoplastic polyps by conventional white-light, magnifying narrow-band imaging (NBI), and magnifying chromoendoscopy...
- Diagnosis, controversies, and management of the syndrome of hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, and low platelet countBaha M Sibai
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267, USA
Obstet Gynecol 103:981-91. 2004..Recommendation for diagnosis, management, and counseling of these women is also provided based on results of recent studies and my own clinical experience...
- Differential diagnosis of tumours and tumour-like lesions of the infrapatellar (Hoffa's) fat pad: pictorial review with an emphasis on MR imagingC Helpert
Department of Radiology, MRI Centre, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham B31 2AP, UK
Eur Radiol 14:2337-46. 2004..This pictorial review illustrates the spectrum of mass-like lesions that can affect the IFP, emphasizing the radiographic and MR findings that suggest a specific diagnosis...
- Evaluation of early-stage Parkinson's disease with 99mTc-TRODAT-1 imagingW S Huang
Department of Nuclear Medicine, National Defense Medical Center, Tri-Service General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Nucl Med 42:1303-8. 2001..CONCLUSION: For clinical practice, 99mTc-TRODAT-1 may serve as a useful imaging agent for the early detection of Parkinson's disease...
- Use of synthetic peptides derived from the antigens ESAT-6 and CFP-10 for differential diagnosis of bovine tuberculosis in cattleH M Vordermeier
TB Research Group, Department of Bacterial Diseases, Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, New Haw, Addlestone KT15 3NB, United Kingdom
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 8:571-8. 2001..In summary, our results demonstrate that this peptide cocktail can discriminate between M. bovis infection and BCG vaccination with a high degree of sensitivity and specificity...
- Abdominal tuberculosis: diagnosis by laparoscopy and colonoscopyMd Ibrarullah
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, SV Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati 517 507, AP, India
Trop Gastroenterol 23:150-3. 2002..Peritoneoscopy and colonoscopy provide semi-invasive access to the peritoneum, large intestine and ileocecal area. Information on the diagnostic yield of these two investigation in abdominal tuberculosis is scarce...
- The syndrome of mesial temporal lobe epilepsy with hippocampal sclerosis: clinical features and differential diagnosisR Mark Sadler
Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Adv Neurol 97:27-37. 2006
- CSF neurofilament proteins in the differential diagnosis of dementiaD De Jong
Department of Neurology, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 78:936-8. 2007..Neurofilament (NF) proteins are major cytoskeletal constituents of neurons. Increased CSF NF levels may reflect neuronal degeneration...
- Differential diagnosis of large periapical lesions using cone-beam computed tomography measurements and biopsyJames H S Simon
Division of Surgical Therapeutic and Bioengineering Sciences, School of Dentistry, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 0641, USA
J Endod 32:833-7. 2006This study compared the differential diagnosis of large periapical lesions (granuloma versus cyst) to traditional biopsy using Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT), the NewTom 3G...
- Adrenal masses: characterization with combined unenhanced and delayed enhanced CTElaine M Caoili
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan Medical Center, 1500 E Medical Center Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 9723, USA
Radiology 222:629-33. 2002..To assess the accuracy of a dedicated adrenal computed tomographic (CT) protocol...
- Intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and hepatocellular carcinoma: differential diagnosis with contrast-enhanced ultrasoundLi Da Chen
Department of Medical Ultrasonics, The First Affiliated Hospital, Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Ultrasound, Sun Yat Sen University, 58 Zhongshan Road 2, Guangzhou 510080, China
Eur Radiol 20:743-53. 2010..We assessed the usefulness of contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) in the differentiation of intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma (ICC) and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)...
- DNA differential diagnosis of taeniasis and cysticercosis by multiplex PCRHiroshi Yamasaki
Department of Parasitology Animal Laboratory for Medical Research, Asahikawa Medical College, Asahikawa, Japan
J Clin Microbiol 42:548-53. 2004Multiplex PCR was established for differential diagnosis of taeniasis and cysticercosis, including their causative agents...
- FDG-PET improves accuracy in distinguishing frontotemporal dementia and Alzheimer's diseaseNorman L Foster
Center for Alzheimer s Care, Imaging and Research and Department of Neurology, University of Utah, USA
Brain 130:2616-35. 2007..fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG-PET) shows different patterns of hypometabolism in these disorders that might aid differential diagnosis. Six dementia experts with variable FDG-PET experience made independent, forced choice, diagnostic ..
- Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgiaJoanna M Zakrzewska
Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, England, UK
Clin J Pain 18:14-21. 2002..Their specificity and sensitivity regarding compressions found at the time of surgery is reviewed. Other differential diagnoses for chronic unilateral orofacial pain are discussed...
- Sinonasal undifferentiated carcinoma: clinical and pathologic features and a discussion on classification, cellular differentiation, and differential diagnosisAsim Ejaz
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Continuum Hospitals of New York Beth Israel Medical Center and Saint Luke s Roosevelt Hospitals, New York, New York 10003, USA
Adv Anat Pathol 12:134-43. 2005....
- Pancreatic cysts: pathologic classification, differential diagnosis, and clinical implicationsOlca Basturk
Department of Pathology, New York University, New York, New York, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 133:423-38. 2009..Consequently, in the past 2 decades, the nature of many cystic tumors in this organ has been better characterized, and significant developments have taken place in the classification and in our understanding of pancreatic cystic lesions...
- Dopamine transporter loss visualized with FP-CIT SPECT in the differential diagnosis of dementia with Lewy bodiesJohn T O'Brien
Institute for Ageing and Health, Newcastle University, Wolfson Research Centre, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Arch Neurol 61:919-25. 2004..Dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB) is a common form of late-life dementia that can be difficult to differentiate from other disorders, especially Alzheimer disease (AD), during life. At autopsy the striatal dopaminergic transporter is reduced...
- Tau protein and 14-3-3 protein in the differential diagnosis of Creutzfeldt-Jakob diseaseM Otto
Neurologische Klinik und Poliklinik, Georg August Universitat Gottingen, Germany
Neurology 58:192-7. 2002..Both tests in a larger group of patients with the differential diagnosis of CJD were evaluated.
- Asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exhibit common origins in any country!Monica Kraft
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:238-40; discussion 243-4. 2006
- Improved accuracy of clinical diagnosis of Lewy body Parkinson's diseaseA J Hughes
United Kingdom Parkinson's Disease Society Brain Research Centre, Institute of Neurology, London, UK
Neurology 57:1497-9. 2001..Assessment of the clinical features suggests that an accuracy of 90% may be the highest that can be expected using current diagnostic criteria...
- Alzheimer's disease versus dementia with Lewy bodies: cerebral metabolic distinction with autopsy confirmationS Minoshima
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Geriatrics Research, Education, and Clinical Center, Ann Arbor, USA
Ann Neurol 50:358-65. 2001..In these patients, occipital hypometabolism preceded some clinical features of DLB. Occipital hypometabolism is a potential antemortem marker to distinguish DLB versus AD...
- Differential diagnosis of Trichostrongylus and hookworm eggs via PCR using ITS-1 sequenceTai Soon Yong
Department of Parasitology and Institute of Tropical Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Korean J Parasitol 45:69-74. 2007..duodenale and N. americanus from the eggs of each (520 bp, 690 bp, and 870 bp, respectively). A species-specific PCR technique can be developed in order to study the epidemiology of Trichostrongylus spp. and hookworms in endemic areas...
- Performance of transient elastography for the staging of liver fibrosis: a meta-analysisMireen Friedrich-Rust
Department of Internal Medicine I, J W Goethe University Hospital, Frankfurt, Germany
Gastroenterology 134:960-74. 2008..A meta-analysis was performed to assess the overall performance of transient elastography for the diagnosis of liver fibrosis and to analyze factors influencing the diagnostic accuracy...
- Fabry disease defined: baseline clinical manifestations of 366 patients in the Fabry Outcome SurveyA Mehta
University College London, London, UK
Eur J Clin Invest 34:236-42. 2004..This paper presents the first analysis of the FOS database and provides essential baseline data against which the effects of enzyme replacement can be measured...
- Inflammatory pseudotumor of the liver: demographics, diagnosis, and the case for nonoperative managementJonathan B Koea
Upper Gastrointestinal Hepatobiliary Unit, Department of Surgery, Auckland Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
J Am Coll Surg 196:226-35. 2003Inflammatory pseudotumor of the liver (IPL) is an unusual tumor-like condition that is becoming recognized as an important differential diagnosis in the patient presenting with liver masses. This report describes six cases of IPL.
- Rapid and differential diagnosis of foot-and-mouth disease, swine vesicular disease, and vesicular stomatitis by a new multiplex RT-PCR assayJovita Fernández
Centro de Investigación en Sanidad Animal CISA INIA, Valdeolmos, Madrid, Spain
J Virol Methods 147:301-11. 2008..experimentally, showing the suitability of the method for a rapid (less than 6h), sensitive and specific differential diagnosis in clinical samples...
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors--definition, clinical, histological, immunohistochemical, and molecular genetic features and differential diagnosisM Miettinen
Department of Soft Tissue Pathology, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, DC 20306 6000, USA
Virchows Arch 438:1-12. 2001..Angiosarcomas and metastatic melanomas, both of which are often KIT-positive, should not be confused with GISTs...
- Application of an immunodiagnostic method for improving preoperative diagnosis of nodular thyroid lesionsA Bartolazzi
Department of Oncology Pathology, Cellular and Molecular Tumor Pathology, Cancer Center Karolinska, CCK R8 04 Karolinska Hospital, 17176, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 357:1644-50. 2001..We undertook an international multicentre study to assess the usefulness of immunohistocytochemical staining for two potential markers of malignant thyrocytes...
- Neuroendocrine differentiated breast carcinoma: imaging features correlated with clinical and histopathological findingsIşil Gunhan-Bilgen
Department of Radiology, Ege University Hospital, Bornova, 35100 Izmir, Turkey
Eur Radiol 13:788-93. 2003..Neuroendocrine differentiated breast carcinoma should be included in the differential diagnosis of mammographically dense, round masses with predominantly spiculated or lobulated margins...
- Erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and toxic epidermal necrolysis: acute ocular manifestations, causes, and managementYi Sheng Chang
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Cornea 26:123-9. 2007..To study the acute ocular/cutaneous manifestations, causes, and management of the erythema multiforme (EM)/Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS)/toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) disease spectrum...
- Molecular diagnostics of viral hemorrhagic feversChristian Drosten
Department of Virology, Bernhard Nocht Institute of Tropical Medicine, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Antiviral Res 57:61-87. 2003..The third part is focussed on important differential diagnoses of VHF...
- Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of fibromyalgiaDon L Goldenberg
Department of Rheumatology, Newton Wellesley Hospital, Newton, Massachusetts 02462, USA
Am J Med 122:S14-21. 2009..Until a better clinical case definition of fibromyalgia exists, all diagnostic criteria should be interpreted with caution, considered rudimentary, and subject to modification...
- Inflammatory pseudotumorLakshmana Das Narla
Department of Radiology, Medical College of Virginia VCU Health System, Main Hospital 3rd Fl, 1250 E Marshall St, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Radiographics 23:719-29. 2003..Because inflammatory pseudotumors mimic malignant tumors both clinically and radiologically, the radiologist should be familiar with this entity and help avoid unnecessary radical surgery when possible...
- Use of the percentage of free prostate-specific antigen to enhance differentiation of prostate cancer from benign prostatic disease: a prospective multicenter clinical trialW J Catalona
Division of Urologic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
JAMA 279:1542-7. 1998..The percentage of free prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in serum has been shown to enhance the specificity of PSA testing for prostate cancer detection, but earlier studies provided only preliminary cutoffs for clinical use...
- Chromoendoscopy using indigo carmine dye spraying with magnifying observation is the most reliable method for differential diagnosis between non-neoplastic and neoplastic colorectal lesions: a prospective studyK I Fu
Division of Gastrointestinal Oncology and Digestive Endoscopy, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
Endoscopy 36:1089-93. 2004b>Differential diagnosis between non-neoplastic and neoplastic lesions is very important at colonoscopy, since removal or biopsy of non-neoplastic polyps wastes time and resources...
- Evaluating human breast ductal carcinomas with high-resolution magic-angle spinning proton magnetic resonance spectroscopyL L Cheng
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, 02129, USA
J Magn Reson 135:194-202. 1998..Our results suggest that biochemical markers thus measured may function as a valuable adjunct to histopathology to improve the accuracy of and reduce the time frame required for the diagnosis of human breast cancer...
- Diagnosis and management of superficial bladder cancerC L Amling
Department of Urology, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, California, USA
Curr Probl Cancer 25:219-78. 2001..With the development of orthotopic lower urinary tract reconstruction to the native urethra, the quality of life impact of radical cystectomy has been lessened...
- Against the Dutch hypothesis: asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease are distinct diseasesPeter J Barnes
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:240-3; discussion 243-4. 2006
- CT screening for lung cancer: suspiciousness of nodules according to size on baseline scansClaudia I Henschke
Department of Radiology and Medicine, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 E 68th St, New York, NY 10021, USA
Radiology 231:164-8. 2004..0 mm in diameter identified on initial computed tomographic (CT) images at baseline screening leads to a diagnosis of malignancy prior to first annual repeat screening, compared with a possibly optimal work-up of larger nodules...
- Enigmatic Kikuchi-Fujimoto disease: a comprehensive reviewXavier Bosch
Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Am J Clin Pathol 122:141-52. 2004..There is an abundance of T cells with predominance of CD8+ over CD4+ T cells. Differential diagnosis includes lymphoma, lymphadenitis associated with systemic lupus erythematosus, and even adenocarcinoma...
- Clinicopathologic analysis of frontotemporal and corticobasal degenerations and PSPK A Josephs
Division of Movement Disorders, Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurology 66:41-8. 2006..To examine the relationship between early clinical features, pathologies, and biochemistry of the frontotemporal lobar degenerations (FTLDs), progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP), and corticobasal degeneration (CBD)...
- Splenic metastases: clinicopathologic presentation, differential diagnosis, and pathogenesisEva Comperat
Service d Anatomie Pathologique, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Arch Pathol Lab Med 131:965-9. 2007..Splenic metastases occur in a context of multivisceral disseminated cancer or as a solitary lesion...
- Primary Ewing's sarcoma/primitive neuroectodermal tumor of the kidney: a clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical analysis of 11 casesRafael E Jimenez
Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:320-7. 2002..FLI-1 and WT-1 immunohistochemistry may be valuable in this differential diagnosis, given the known immunophenotypic overlap between ES/PNET and blastema-predominant WT with regard to CD99, ..
- Consensus definitions proposed for pediatric multiple sclerosis and related disordersLauren B Krupp
National Pediatric MS Center, Stony Brook University Medical Center, Stony Brook, NY 11794 8121, USA
Neurology 68:S7-12. 2007..Clinical, biologic, and radiographic delineation of the various monophasic and chronic childhood demyelinating disorders requires an operational classification system to facilitate prospective research studies...
- Determinants of symptoms in functional dyspepsia: gastric sensorimotor function, psychosocial factors or somatisation?L Van Oudenhove
Department of Pathophysiology, Gastroenterology Section, University of Leuven and University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Gut 57:1666-73. 2008..Gastric sensorimotor dysfunction, psychosocial factors and somatisation are all implicated in symptom generation in functional dyspepsia (FD)...
- Sonographic features of benign thyroid nodules: interobserver reliability and overlap with malignancyJeffrey R Wienke
Department of Radiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Ultrasound Med 22:1027-31. 2003..To prospectively determine the sonographic findings of nodular hyperplasia of the thyroid, to compare these with reported findings associated with malignancy, and to assess interobserver reliability...
- ST-segment elevation in conditions other than acute myocardial infarctionKyuhyun Wang
Hennepin County Medical Center, Cardiology Division, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2128-35. 2003
- Hyperfibrinolysis after major trauma: differential diagnosis of lysis patterns and prognostic value of thrombelastometryHerbert Schöchl
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, AUVA Trauma Hospital, Salzburg, Austria
J Trauma 67:125-31. 2009..Furthermore, routine laboratory based and the rotational thrombelastometry analyzer (ROTEM)-derived variables were also correlated with survival...
- Recognizing and treating diabetic autonomic neuropathyA I Vinik
the Strelitz Diabetes Research Institutes, Department of Internal Medicine and Anatomy/Neurobiology, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 68:928-30, 932, 934-44. 2001..Strict glycemic control can slow the onset of diabetic autonomic neuropathy and sometimes reverse it. Pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic therapies are available to treat symptoms...
- Value of 123I-MIBG radioactivity in the differential diagnosis of DLB from ADM Yoshita
Department of Neurology and Neurobiology of Aging, Kanazawa University Graduate School of Medical Science, Kanazawa, Japan
Neurology 66:1850-4. 2006..To evaluate the diagnostic reliability of cardiac iodine-123 metaiodobenzylguanidine ((123)I-MIBG) radioactivity in discriminating dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB) from Alzheimer disease (AD) regardless of parkinsonism...
- Utility of elastography for differential diagnosis of benign and malignant thyroid nodulesRyoji Kagoya
Department of Otolaryngology, Hitachi General Hospital, Hitachi, Japan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 143:230-4. 2010....
- Differential diagnosis of small single solid thyroid nodules using real-time ultrasound elastographyY Wang
Department of Ultrasound in Medicine, The Sixth People s Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
J Int Med Res 38:466-72. 2010..It is concluded that real-time USE is a promising imaging technique that could assist in the differential diagnosis of single solid thyroid nodules < 10 mm in maximum diameter that give indeterminate results on ..
- Magnifying endoscopy combined with narrow-band imaging for differential diagnosis of superficial depressed gastric lesionsM Kaise
Department of Endoscopy, The Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Endoscopy 41:310-5. 2009Magnifying endoscopy combined with narrow-band imaging (ME-NBI) has been used for differential diagnosis of various focal lesions...
- Utility of 2-[18F] fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose positron emission tomography in differential diagnosis of benign and malignant intraductal papillary-mucinous neoplasm of the pancreasYoshito Tomimaru
Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Oncol Rep 24:613-20. 2010..5 offered the best diagnosis of malignant IPMN. These results suggest that FDG-PET is useful for differentiation of malignant IPMN of the pancreas, and that it should be performed in combination with other conventional imaging modalities...
- Differential diagnosis between benign and malignant gallbladder diseases with real-time contrast-enhanced ultrasoundXiao Hua Xie
Department of Medical Ultrasonics, The First Affiliated Hospital, Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Ultrasound, Sun Yat Sen University, 58 Zhongshan Road 2, Guangzhou 510080, People s Republic of China
Eur Radiol 20:239-48. 2010The value of contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS) in differential diagnosis between benign and malignant gallbladder diseases was investigated...
- Identification of cytokines in whole blood for differential diagnosis of tuberculosis versus pneumoniaWen Lin Su
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, National Defense Medical Center, No 161, Sec 6, Mincyuan E Rd, Neihu District, Taipei City 114, Taiwan, Republic of China
Clin Vaccine Immunol 17:771-7. 2010..The percent change in IFN-gamma and IL-12 after LPS stimulation of whole blood cells could differentiate patients with pneumonia from patients with TB...
- Combined detection of serum tumor markers for differential diagnosis of solid lesions located at the pancreatic headQuan Liao
Department of General Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing 100730, China
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 6:641-5. 2007The differential diagnosis of solid lesions located at the pancreatic head is very important for choosing therapies and setting up surgical tactics...
- Differential diagnosis for intrahepatic biliary cystadenoma and hepatic simple cyst: significance of cystic fluid analysis and radiologic findingsHyo Kyung Choi
Department of Medicine, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Clin Gastroenterol 44:289-93. 2010This study evaluated the significance of cystic fluid analysis and radiologic findings in the differential diagnosis of biliary cystadenomas (BCA) and hepatic simple cysts (HSCs).
- Using gene expression profiling to differentiate benign versus malignant thyroid tumorsChiara Mazzanti
Surgery Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Cancer Res 64:2898-903. 2004..Lancet 2003;361:501-11). In the past few decades, no improvement has been made in the differential diagnosis of thyroid tumors by fine needle aspiration biopsy, specifically suspicious or indeterminate thyroid ..
- Urticarial lesions: if not urticaria, what else? The differential diagnosis of urticaria: part II. Systemic diseasesAnna Peroni
Department of Biomedical and Surgical Sciences, Section of Dermatology and Venereology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
J Am Acad Dermatol 62:557-70; quiz 571-2. 2010..All of these conditions may enter into the differential diagnosis of ordinary urticaria...
- Prospective two year follow up study comparing novel and conventional imaging procedures in patients with arthritic finger jointsM Backhaus
Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Charite University Hospital, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany
Ann Rheum Dis 61:895-904. 2002..Additionally, to study the course of soft tissue lesions depicted in the initial study in comparison with the clinical findings...
- Clinical signs and symptoms predicting influenza infectionA S Monto
University of Michigan, 3080 SPH 1, 109 Observatory St, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Arch Intern Med 160:3243-7. 2000..In clinical practice, antiviral use has rarely been guided by antecedent laboratory diagnosis. Defined clinical predictors of an influenza infection can help guide timely therapy and avoid unnecessary antibiotic use...
- Which neuropsychiatric and behavioural features distinguish frontal and temporal variants of frontotemporal dementia from Alzheimer's disease?S Bozeat
MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit, 15 Chaucer Road, Cambridge CB2 2EF, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 69:178-86. 2000..To establish whether the frontal and temporal variants of FTD are characterised by different behavioural changes...
- False positive and false negative FDG-PET scans in various thoracic diseasesJung Min Chang
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Radiol 7:57-69. 2006..In this review, we illustrate false positive and negative findings of PET scan in a variety of diseases...
- Differences in clinical features between influenza A H1N1, A H3N2, and B in adult patientsMasahide Kaji
Kurume University Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, Japan
Respirology 8:231-3. 2003..The differences in clinical features between influenza A H1N1, A H3N2, and B in the past three influenza seasons were examined...
- Effectiveness versus efficacy: the limited value in clinical practice of high dose dexamethasone suppression testing in the differential diagnosis of adrenocorticotropin-dependent Cushing's syndromeD C Aron
Division of Clinical and Molecular Endocrinology, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:1780-5. 1997..regression models indicate that the results of the dexamethasone suppression test add little to the differential diagnosis of ACTH-dependent Cushing's syndrome, especially after taking other clinical information into account...
- A reevaluation of the primary diagnosis of hemangiopericytoma and the clinical importance of differential diagnosis from solitary fibrous tumor of the central nervous systemYutaka Hayashi
Department of Neurosurgery, Kanazawa University Hospital, Kanazawa, Japan
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 111:34-8. 2009..We also compared the clinical features of these cases...
- Investigation of risk factors in children with arterial ischemic strokeVijeya Ganesan
Neurosciences Unit, University College London, United Kingdom
Ann Neurol 53:167-73. 2003..Cerebral arterial imaging is usually abnormal, but echocardiography and prothrombotic screening are commonly negative...
- Significance of the fractional excretion of urea in the differential diagnosis of acute renal failureChristos P Carvounis
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Nassau University Medical Center and State University of New York atStony Brook, East Meadow, New York 11554, USA
Kidney Int 62:2223-9. 2002..In contrast, the fractional excretion of urea nitrogen (FEUN) is primarily dependent on passive forces and is therefore less influenced by diuretic therapy...
- Copeptin in the differential diagnosis of hyponatremiaWiebke Fenske
Endocrinology and Diabetes Unit, Department of Medicine I, University of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, D 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:123-9. 2009..This study was designed to evaluate the diagnostic potential of copeptin, the C-terminal part of provasopressin, as a new marker in the differential diagnosis of hyponatremia.
- Changing patterns of chikungunya virus: re-emergence of a zoonotic arbovirusAnn M Powers
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 3150 Rampart Road, Fort Collins, CO 80521, USA
J Gen Virol 88:2363-77. 2007
- Rapid Diagnosis of Monkeypox and Smallpox InfectionsJohn Fitchen; Fiscal Year: 2007..orthopoxvirus infection and for this reason we will also develop rapid VZV-specific tests to use for differential diagnosis. Using an integrated dual-detection system, these novel diagnostic tests will combine serological analysis ..
- Measuring Altered Social Behavior in Neurodegenerative DiseaseKatherine P Rankin; Fiscal Year: 2010..The resulting battery could be used by clinicians 1) to aid in the differential diagnosis of dementia;2) to provide treatment interventions, prognostic information, and caregiver support based on ..
- WIDEBAND CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS AND MONITORING OF MIDDLE-EAR AND COCHLEAR FUNCTIONDOUGLAS KEEFE; Fiscal Year: 2009..The research also evaluates whether the test battery improves the accuracy of diagnosing middle-ear disease and of identifying hearing loss in adult patients who receive medications that may affect their hearing. ..
- Measuring Altered Social Behavior in Neurodegenerative DiseaseKatherine Rankin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The resulting battery could be used by clinicians 1) to aid in the differential diagnosis of dementia; 2) to provide treatment interventions, prognostic information, and caregiver support based on ..
- Molecular Classification of Suspicious Thyroid TumorsMartha Zeiger; Fiscal Year: 2009A. SPECIFIC AIMS Diagnostic Dilemma in the Differential Diagnosis of a Suspicious Thyroid Nodule...
- Dengue Epitope Vaccine,Tetravalent & MHCII-TargetedJ Thomas August; Fiscal Year: 2007..A novel PCR assay will be used for differential diagnosis of dengue serotypes and other diseases (Project 3)...
- Microarray analysis of thyroid neoplasmMartha Zeiger; Fiscal Year: 2004Although fine needle aspiration (FNA) cytology is the best diagnostic tool in the differential diagnosis of a thyroid nodule, it often cannot differentiate a benign from a malignant lesion...
- Middle-ear Mechanics in Normal and Pathological EarsSaumil N Merchant; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our work has a) resulted in new tests employing laser vibrometry for improved preoperative differential diagnosis of ossicular lesions in patients with an intact tympanic membrane, and b) provided specific surgical ..
- Middle-ear Mechanics in Normal and Pathological EarsSAUMIL MERCHANT; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our work has a) resulted in new tests employing laser vibrometry for improved preoperative differential diagnosis of ossicular lesions in patients with an intact tympanic membrane, and b) provided specific surgical ..
- Middle-ear Mechanics in Normal and Pathological EarsSAUMIL MERCHANT; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our work has a) resulted in new tests employing laser vibrometry for improved preoperative differential diagnosis of ossicular lesions in patients with an intact tympanic membrane, and b) provided specific surgical ..
- Multi-peptide assay for serodiagnosis of Lyme diseaseMaria Gomes Solecki; Fiscal Year: 2007..affects multiple organ systems including musculoskeletal, skin and nervous system and is included in the differential diagnosis of multiple diseases...
- Melanocortin Signaling in Feeding BehaviorROGER CONE; Fiscal Year: 2007..understanding of the central melanocortin system will increase our understanding of obesity, improve differential diagnosis of obesity syndromes, and ultimately identify potential targets for drug development for the treatment of ..
- Comprehensive Molecular Diagnosis for Food and Waterborne EnteropathogensEric Houpt; Fiscal Year: 2007..for referral public health laboratories to detect the multiplicity of potential pathogens that inhabit the differential diagnosis of a food or waterborne diarrheal outbreak...