Genomes and Genes
blood urea nitrogen
Summary: The urea concentration of the blood stated in terms of nitrogen content. Serum (plasma) urea nitrogen is approximately 12% higher than blood urea nitrogen concentration because of the greater protein content of red blood cells. Increases in blood or serum urea nitrogen are referred to as azotemia and may have prerenal, renal, or postrenal causes. (From Saunders Dictionary & Encyclopedia of Laboratory Medicine and Technology, 1984)
Publications261 found, 100 shown here
- Intermittent fasting prevents the progression of type I diabetic nephropathy in rats and changes the expression of Sir2 and p53Kulbhushan Tikoo
Laboratory of Chromatin Biology, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Sector 67, S A S Nagar, Punjab 160 062, India
FEBS Lett 581:1071-8. 2007..At biochemical level, we found that IF causes significant improvement in blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, albumin and HDL cholesterol, parameters that are associated with the development of DN...
- Kidney injury molecule-1 outperforms traditional biomarkers of kidney injury in preclinical biomarker qualification studiesVishal S Vaidya
Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Nat Biotechnol 28:478-85. 2010..histopathology remains the gold standard for nephrotoxicity in animal systems, serum creatinine (SCr) and blood urea nitrogen (BUN) are the primary options for monitoring kidney dysfunction in humans...
- The pathological role of Bax in cisplatin nephrotoxicityQ Wei
Department of Cellular Biology and Anatomy, Medical College of Georgia and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Kidney Int 72:53-62. 2007..Compared with the wild-type mice renal function, as measured by blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine, was partially but significantly preserved in Bax knockout mice...
- Effect of oral administration of Arabic gum on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in ratsAbdulhakeem A Al-Majed
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh 11451, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 17:146-53. 2003..These findings suggest that lipid peroxidation is not the main cause of CP-induced nephrotoxicity but it is rather more dependent on other factors such as platinum disposition in renal interstitial tubules...
- Protective effects of curcumin against sodium fluoride-induced toxicity in rat kidneysSeyed Fazel Nabavi
National elites foundation of Iran, Tehran, Iran
Biol Trace Elem Res 145:369-74. 2012..Blood serum samples were examined for creatinine, serum urea, and blood urea nitrogen levels. Another group of rats received vitamin C (10 mg/kg) as standard antioxidant...
- Effect of melatonin, curcumin, quercetin, and resveratrol on acute ferric nitrilotriacetate (Fe-NTA)-induced renal oxidative damage in ratsV Eybl
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen, Karlovarska 48, 301 66 Pilsen, Czech Republic
Hum Exp Toxicol 27:347-53. 2008..The pretreatment with antioxidants did not affect the increase in renal iron content, blood urea nitrogen/creatinine ratio, and relative kidney weight of FeNTA-intoxicated rats...
- Comparison of prognostic significance of amino-terminal pro-brain natriuretic Peptide versus blood urea nitrogen for predicting events in patients hospitalized for heart failureHeather J Shenkman
Cardiology Division, Department of Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, USA
Am J Cardiol 99:1143-5. 2007N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-pro-BNP) and blood urea nitrogen (BUN) predict outcomes in patients with heart failure (HF)...
- Prevention of nephrotoxicity of cisplatin by repeated oral administration of ebselen in ratsM Yoshida
Department of Chemistry, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Japan
Tohoku J Exp Med 191:209-20. 2000..Treatment with CDDP alone resulted in significantly increased plasma creatinine (Cr) and blood urea nitrogen (BUN) levels. Repeated administration of 5.5 and 11...
- Carnosic acid attenuates renal injury in an experimental model of rat cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicityBidya Dhar Sahu
National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Balanagar, Hyderabad, India
Food Chem Toxicol 49:3090-7. 2011..05) increase in serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and relative weight of kidney with higher kidney MDA (malondialdehyde), tROS (total reactive oxygen ..
- Protective effect of Icariin on the early stage of experimental diabetic nephropathy induced by streptozotocin via modulating transforming growth factor β1 and type IV collagen expression in ratsMin You Qi
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Zhejiang University of Technology, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
J Ethnopharmacol 138:731-6. 2011..Therefore, the pharmacological studied of its diabetic nephropathy effect was undertaken to validate its traditional use...
- The potential protective role of alpha-lipoic acid against acetaminophen-induced hepatic and renal damageAhmed O Abdel-Zaher
Department of Pharmacolog, Faculty of Medicine, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
Toxicology 243:261-70. 2008..These results provide evidence that inhibition of NO overproduction and maintenance of intracellular antioxidant status may play a pivotal role in the protective effects of alpha-LA against APAP-induced hepatic and renal damage...
- Cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity is mediated by tumor necrosis factor-alpha produced by renal parenchymal cellsB Zhang
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Penn State Milton S, Hershey Medical Center and College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Kidney Int 72:37-44. 2007..Chimeras with kidneys of TNF-alpha knockout mice showed significantly less renal dysfunction (blood urea nitrogen, serum creatinine, and glomerular filtration rate), renal histologic injury, and serum TNF-alpha levels; ..
- The cellular origin and proliferative status of regenerating renal parenchyma after mercuric chloride damage and erythropoietin treatmentT H Yen
Histopathology Unit, Cancer Research UK, London Research Institute, London, UK
Cell Prolif 40:143-56. 2007....
- Adverse effect profile of trichlormethiazide: a retrospective observational studyYasuo Takahashi
Nihon University School of Medicine, Itabashi ku, Tokyo, Japan
Cardiovasc Diabetol 10:45. 2011..We performed a retrospective cohort study to assess the adverse effects of trichlormethiazide, focusing on serum electrolyte and uric acid levels...
- Potentiation of mercury-induced nephrotoxicity by endotoxin in the Sprague-Dawley ratW K Rumbeiha
Department of Veterinary Pathology, G303 Veterinary Medical Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1314, USA
Toxicology 149:75-87. 2000..05). In conclusion, LPS potentiated mercury-induced nephrotoxicity...
- Blood urea nitrogen concentration as a marker of amino-acid intolerance in neonates with birthweight less than 1250 gErick Ridout
Section of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Perinatol 25:130-3. 2005Currently blood urea nitrogen (BUN) is commonly used as a marker of protein intolerance in very preterm infants...
- Solute clearances and fluid removal in the frequent hemodialysis network trialsTom Greene
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 53:835-44. 2009..The goal of this study was to project separation between the treatment and control arms of these studies for measures of dialysis dose by using simulations based on 2-compartment variable-volume models...
- The effect of ginger extract on blood urea nitrogen and creatinine in miceModaresi Mehrdad
Islamic Azad University, Khorasgan Branch, Isfahan, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 10:2968-71. 2007..Control group received saline containing equal volume of ethanol. Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine were measured spectrophotometrically...
- Elevated blood urea nitrogen is an independent risk factor of prolonged intensive care unit stay due to acute necrotizing pancreatitisMaik Faisst
Department of General and Visceral Surgery, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Crit Care 25:105-11. 2010The aim of this study was to analyze the predictive value of blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and other variables in acute necrotizing pancreatitis on hospital stay, intensive care unit (ICU) stay, and death.
- The ratio of the blood urea nitrogen/creatinine index in patients with acute renal failure is decreased due to dextran or mannitolTsuyoshi Kouki
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of the Ryukyus School of Medicine, Nishihara
Intern Med 49:223-6. 2010..Both showed decreases in the blood urea nitrogen (BUN)/creatinine ratios after the administration of these reagents...
- Blood urea nitrogen and creatinine levels at admission for mortality risk assessment in patients with acute coronary syndromesRuslan T Saygitov
City Clinical Hospital N 59, Moscow, Russian Federation
Emerg Med J 27:105-9. 2010To compare the prognostic significance of blood urea nitrogen (BUN) versus creatinine levels for estimating the risk of death in patients with acute coronary syndrome (ACS).
- Japanese Black breeding herd exhibiting low blood urea nitrogen: a metabolic profile study examining the effect on reproductive performanceUrara Watanabe
United Graduate School of Veterinary Science, Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi, Japan
Anim Sci J 84:389-94. 2013Ten reared cows of a Japanese Black cattle herd in Kagoshima prefecture, Japan, exhibited extremely low blood urea nitrogen (BUN) concentration (2.6 ± 0.6 mg/dL)...
- Ginkgo biloba extract protects against mercury(II)-induced oxidative tissue damage in ratsGoksel Sener
Marmara University, School of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, Istanbul, Turkey
Food Chem Toxicol 45:543-50. 2007..On the other hand, EGb treatment reversed all these biochemical indices. Our results implicate that mercury-induced oxidative damage in brain, lung, liver, and kidney tissues protected by G. biloba extract, with its antioxidant effects...
- Eruca sativa seeds possess antioxidant activity and exert a protective effect on mercuric chloride induced renal toxicityM Sarwar Alam
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi 110 062, India
Food Chem Toxicol 45:910-20. 2007..of 4 mg/kg body weight HgCl(2) induced renal injury evident as a marked elevation in serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen levels, and histopathological changes such as necrosis, oedema and congestion of stroma and glomeruli...
- Using blood urea nitrogen to predict nitrogen excretion and efficiency of nitrogen utilization in cattle, sheep, goats, horses, pigs, and ratsR A Kohn
Department of Animal and Avian Sciences, University of Maryland, College Park 20742, USA
J Anim Sci 83:879-89. 2005..Blood urea N can be used in various animal species to quantify N utilization and excretion rates...
- A revised day +7 predictive score for transplant-related mortality: serum cholinesterase, total protein, blood urea nitrogen, gamma glutamyl transferase, donor type and cell doseM P Sormani
Unitá Epidemiologia Clinica, Istituto Scientifio Tumori, Genoa, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 32:205-11. 2003..a scoring system for patients undergoing hemopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) based on day +7 blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and serum bilirubin levels...
- Effects of colloidal iron overload on renal and hepatic siderosis and the femur in male ratsH Kudo
Department of Clinical Medicine, Bunkyo Gakuin University, Tokyo, Japan
Toxicology 246:143-7. 2008..Activities of lactate dehydrogenase and alkaline phosphatase were decreased, and the concentrations of blood urea nitrogen and creatinine were increased with the reduction in plasma calcium and inorganic phosphorus levels, i.e...
- Elevated blood urea nitrogen-to-creatinine ratio increased the risk of hospitalization and all-cause death in patients with chronic heart failureHung Ju Lin
Department of Internal Medicine, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Clin Res Cardiol 98:487-92. 2009To examine the relationship between blood urea nitrogen (BUN)-to-creatinine ratio and the prognosis of chronic heart failure (HF).
- Curcumin ameliorates renal failure in 5/6 nephrectomized rats: role of inflammationS S Ghosh
Department of Internal Medicine Nephrology, Sanger Hall, Rm 8 059, Virginia Commonwealth Univ, 1101 E Marshall St, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 296:F1146-57. 2009..Sham-operated animals served as a control. Renal dysfunction in the Nx group, as evidenced by elevated blood urea nitrogen, plasma creatinine, proteinuria, segmental sclerosis, and tubular dilatation, was significantly reduced by ..
- The protective effect of erdosteine on radiocontrast induced nephrotoxicity in ratsAhmet Yesilyurt
Deparment of Medical Genetics, Dr Zekai Tahir Burak Women Health Training and Research Hospital, Ankara Turkey
Environ Toxicol 26:395-402. 2011..Serum creatinine, BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) and cystatin-C levels were measured from serum samples. The kidneys were evaluated histopathologically...
- Protective effects of ulinastatin on pancreatic and renal damage in rats following early scald injuryChengjin Gao
Department of Burn and Plastic Surgery, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Burns 35:547-52. 2009..Serum amylase, serum creatinine (Scr) and blood urea nitrogen (BUN) were identified and the kidneys were examined histologically with immunohistochemistry (IHC) as well ..
- Effect of lowering uric acid on renal disease in the type 2 diabetic db/db miceTomoki Kosugi
Division of Nephrology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297:F481-8. 2009..In conclusion, hyperuricemia has a pathogenic role in the mild tubulointerstitial injury associated with diabetic nephropathy but not glomerular damage in db/db mice. Lowering uric acid may reduce tubulointerstitial injury in diabetes...
- Correlation of breath ammonia with blood urea nitrogen and creatinine during hemodialysisL R Narasimhan
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of California, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:4617-21. 2001..We correlated these measurements against simultaneously taken blood samples that were analyzed for blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine, which are the accepted standards indicating the level of nitrogenous waste loading in ..
- Comparative effect of olmesartan and candesartan on lipid metabolism and renal function in patients with hypertension: a retrospective observational studyYayoi Nishida
Division of Genomic Epidemiology and Clinical Trials, Advanced Medical Research Center, Nihon University School of Medicine, 30 1 Oyaguchi Kamimachi, Itabashi ku, Tokyo 173 8610, Japan
Cardiovasc Diabetol 10:74. 2011..We performed a retrospective observational study to compare the effects of olmesartan with those of candesartan, focusing on lipid metabolism and renal function...
- Genistein and daidzein prevent diabetes onset by elevating insulin level and altering hepatic gluconeogenic and lipogenic enzyme activities in non-obese diabetic (NOD) miceM S Choi
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, 702 701, Republic of Korea
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 24:74-81. 2008..This study investigated the beneficial effects of genistein and daidzein on IDDM, an autoimmune disease...
- Novel evidence suggesting an anti-oxidant property for erythropoietin on vancomycin-induced nephrotoxicity in a rat modelHasan Cetin
Department of Pediatrics, Medical Faculty, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 34:1181-5. 2007..On Day 8, renal tissues were excised and blood samples were collected. Serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen were measured, along with renal malondialdehyde (MDA) levels, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) ..
- The effects of sevoflurane on serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen concentrations: a retrospective, twenty-two-center, comparative evaluation of renal function in adult surgical patientsR I Mazze
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Anesth Analg 90:683-8. 2000..The trials examined postoperative changes in serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen levels from a total of 3, 436 ASA physical status I-IV adult surgical patients administered either ..
- Renoprotective and antihypertensive effects of S-allylcysteine in 5/6 nephrectomized ratsCristino Cruz
Departamento de Nefrologia y Metabolismo Mineral, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 293:F1691-8. 2007..2 ml/kg ip) every other day for 30 days. Proteinuria and serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen concentrations were measured on days 0, 5, 10, 15, and 30, and systolic blood pressure was recorded on days ..
- L-Carnitine attenuates ifosfamide-induced carnitine deficiency and decreased intramitochondrial CoA-SH in rat kidney tissuesMohamed M Sayed-Ahmed
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
J Nephrol 24:490-8. 2011..This study aimed to investigate, on a mechanism basis, whether L-carnitine could prevent the development of IFO-induced Fanconi syndrome in rats...
- Role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase on renal dysfunction after hemorrhagic shock in ratsHiroaki Sato
Department of Forensic Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Occupational and Environmental Health, Kitakyushu 807 8555, Japan
Shock 24:488-94. 2005..We concluded that p38 MAPK activation is essential in causing renal damage and that the inhibition of p38 MAPK activation blocks the development of the renal dysfunction after hemorrhagic shock...
- Comparison of cross-sectional renal function measurements in African Americans with hypertensive nephrosclerosis and of primary formulas to estimate glomerular filtration rateJ Lewis
Division of Nephrology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 38:744-53. 2001..Formulas using demographic data and readily measured serum values estimate (125)I-iothalamate GFR...
- Differential effects of tannic acid on cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity in ratsKulbhushan Tikoo
Laboratory of Chromatin Biology, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research NIPER, Sector 67, SAS Nagar, Punjab 160 062, India
FEBS Lett 581:2027-35. 2007..5mg/kg) developed almost similar nephrotoxicity. MALDI protein profiling of plasma samples provides indirect evidence that tannic acid co-treatment increases bioavailability of cisplatin...
- Resveratrol improves ifosfamide-induced Fanconi syndrome in ratsOzer Sehirli
Marmara University, School of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, Tibbiye Cad 34668 Istanbul, Turkey
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 222:33-41. 2007..Therefore, its therapeutic role in preventing the development of chemotherapeutic drug-induced major toxicity in the urinary system requires further elucidation...
- Protective effect of quercetin against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in ratsIhab Talat Abdel-Raheem
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Al Azhar University, Assiut, Egypt
Biol Pharm Bull 32:61-7. 2009..The rats were sacrificed on the seventh day and kidneys were collected for histopathological studies. Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine levels were measured in the blood...
- Significance of the fractional excretion of urea in the differential diagnosis of acute renal failureChristos P Carvounis
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Nassau University Medical Center and State University of New York atStony Brook, East Meadow, New York 11554, USA
Kidney Int 62:2223-9. 2002..In contrast, the fractional excretion of urea nitrogen (FEUN) is primarily dependent on passive forces and is therefore less influenced by diuretic therapy...
- Interaction between loop diuretic-associated mortality and blood urea nitrogen concentration in chronic heart failureJeffrey M Testani
Department of Medicine, Cardiovascular Division, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 58:375-82. 2011The purpose of this study was to investigate whether a surrogate for renal neurohormonal activation, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), could identify patients destined to experience adverse outcomes associated with the use of high-dose loop ..
- Serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen over a six-year period in the very old. Creatinine and BUN in the very oldD A Feinfeld
Department of Medicine, Nassau County Medical Center, East Meadow, New York, USA
Geriatr Nephrol Urol 8:131-5. 1998..Use of diuretics and NSAID by functioning elderly individuals is not necessarily associated with worsening azotemia...
- Early changes in blood urea nitrogen predict mortality in acute pancreatitisBechien U Wu
Brigham and Women s Hospital, Center for Pancreatic Disease, Division of Gastroenterology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Gastroenterology 137:129-35. 2009..The objective of this study was to evaluate accuracy of serial blood urea nitrogen (BUN) versus serial hemoglobin (Hgb) measurement for prediction of in-hospital mortality in AP.
- Emergence of blood urea nitrogen as a biomarker of neurohormonal activation in heart failureAmir Kazory
University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
Am J Cardiol 106:694-700. 2010..The results of several recent HF trials have shed light on the differential role of blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine in predicting the outcomes in this setting...
- Relation of blood urea nitrogen to long-term mortality in patients with heart failureClay A Cauthen
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Am J Cardiol 101:1643-7. 2008..Recent studies have demonstrated that blood urea nitrogen (BUN) might serve as a powerful predictor of mortality in acutely decompensated HF...
- Dialysate made from dry chemicals using citric acid increases dialysis doseS Ahmad
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 35:493-9. 2000..Using dialysate containing citric instead of acetic acid increases the delivered dialysis dose...
- Olprinone reduces ischemia/reperfusion-induced acute renal injury in rats through enhancement of cAMPAkio Mizutani
Division of Intensive Care Unit, Oita University Faculty of Medicine Hospital, Hasama machi, Oita, 879 5593, Japan
Shock 24:281-7. 2005..Olprinone reduced the I/R-induced increases in serum levels of blood urea nitrogen and creatinine, and improved histological changes, including acute tubular necrosis in the outer medulla...
- Has mortality from acute renal failure decreased? A systematic review of the literatureYvonne Patricia Ympa
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Free University of Brussels, Belgium
Am J Med 118:827-32. 2005..To determine mortality rates in patients with acute renal failure during the past decades...
- Effects of amrinone on bilateral renal ischemia/reperfusion injuryR Karabulut
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Gazy University, Ankara, Turkey
Urol Res 30:164-8. 2002..We propose that this preventive effect of amrinone - which has gained clinical application especially in cases of cardiac insufficiency - could also be exploited in clinical conditions related with renal ischemia/reperfusion...
- Prognostic value of blood urea nitrogen in patients hospitalized with worsening heart failure: insights from the Acute and Chronic Therapeutic Impact of a Vasopressin Antagonist in Chronic Heart Failure (ACTIV in CHF) studyGerasimos Filippatos
Department of Cardiology, Athens University, Athens, Greece
J Card Fail 13:360-4. 2007..The association between baseline blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and clinical outcomes in patients admitted for ADHF was evaluated in a post-hoc analysis of the ACTIV ..
- Targeting superoxide dismutase to renal proximal tubule cells attenuates vancomycin-induced nephrotoxicity in ratsYoshihiro Nishino
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepato Biliary Pancreatic Surgery, Osaka City University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 4 3, Asahi machi, Abeno, Osaka 545 8585, Japan
Free Radic Res 37:373-9. 2003..VCM induced renal injury dose-dependently. Biochemical analyses revealed that plasma levels of blood urea nitrogen and creatinine significantly increased in the VCM-treated group by an AH-SOD-inhibitable mechanism...
- The importance of low blood urea nitrogen levels in pregnant patients undergoing hemodialysis to optimize birth weight and gestational ageYukari Asamiya
Department of Medicine, Kidney Center, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Japan
Kidney Int 75:1217-22. 2009..There were significant negative relationships between the blood urea nitrogen (BUN) level and the birth weight or gestational age in the latter cohort...
- Renal cholesterol accumulation: a durable response after acute and subacute renal insultsR A Zager
Department of Medicine, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, University of Washington, 1100 Fairview Ave N, Rm D2 190, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Am J Pathol 159:743-52. 2001..Overnight dehydration raised renal CE levels, most notably in the medulla...
- Amelioration of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by pravastatin in miceYi An
Department of Cardiology, The Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University Medical College, China
Exp Toxicol Pathol 63:215-9. 2011..showed significant protection as evidenced by the decrease of elevated serum creatinine (CRE) and blood urea nitrogen (BUN), and improvement of histopathological injury induced by cisplatin...
- The protein equivalent of nitrogen appearance in critically ill acute renal failure patients undergoing continuous renal replacement therapyMuthusamy V Ganesan
Department of Dietetics, Apollo Hospitals, Chennai, India
J Ren Nutr 19:161-6. 2009..To assess the nutritional status of critically ill patients with acute renal failure on continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) and their protein needs by estimating the protein equivalent of nitrogen appearance (PNA)...
- Protective effect of human amniotic fluid stem cells in an immunodeficient mouse model of acute tubular necrosisLaura Perin
Developmental Biology and Regenerative Medicine Program, Saban Research Institute, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e9357. 2010..We therefore speculate that AFSC could represent a novel source of stem cells that may function to modulate the kidney immune milieu in renal failure caused by ATN...
- Serum blood urea nitrogen as an independent marker of subsequent mortality among patients with acute coronary syndromes and normal to mildly reduced glomerular filtration ratesAjay J Kirtane
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:1781-6. 2005We hypothesized that elevated blood urea nitrogen (BUN) would be associated with adverse outcomes independent of serum creatinine (sCr)-based estimates of kidney function in patients with acute coronary syndromes (ACS).
- Lack of a functional alternative complement pathway ameliorates ischemic acute renal failure in miceJoshua M Thurman
Division of Nephrology University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Immunol 170:1517-23. 2003..Our results demonstrate that complement activation in the kidney after I/R occurs exclusively via the alternative pathway, and that selective inhibition of this pathway provides protection to the kidneys from ischemic ARF...
- Reduced hydration status characterized by disproportionate elevation of blood urea nitrogen to serum creatinine among the patients with cerebral infarctionTetsu Akimoto
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Jichi Medical University, Jichi Medical School, Shimotsuke, Japan
Med Hypotheses 77:601-4. 2011..investigated, and their hydration status were evaluated by using several clinical parameters such as a blood urea nitrogen to serum creatinine (BUN/Cr) ratio of >25 and plasma osmolality...
- Alpha-lipoic acid protects against renal ischaemia-reperfusion injury in ratsOzer Sehirli
School of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 35:249-55. 2008..At the end of 24 h, rats were decapitated and trunk blood was collected. Creatinine, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) activity were measured in serum samples, whereas tumour necrosis ..
- Massive and disproportionate elevation of blood urea nitrogen in acute azotemiaDonald A Feinfeld
Department of Medicine, Nassau University Medical Center, East Meadow, New York 11554, USA
Int Urol Nephrol 34:143-5. 2002In renal failure, blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine usually rise in tandem; the normal BUN: Cr ratio is 10-15: 1...
- Influence of ascorbic acid on BUN, creatinine, resistive index in canine renal ischemia-reperfusion injuryJae Il Lee
Laboratory of Veterinary Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 305 764, Korea
J Vet Sci 7:79-81. 2006..The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of ascorbic acid on blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine (Cr) and resistive index (RI) for dog models with renal ischemia-reperfusion (I/R) injury...
- Activated protein C ameliorates LPS-induced acute kidney injury and downregulates renal INOS and angiotensin 2Akanksha Gupta
Division of Biotechnology Discovery Research, Lilly Research Laboratories, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285 0444, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 293:F245-54. 2007..treatment exhibited ARF as illustrated by markedly reduced peritubular capillary flow and increased serum blood urea nitrogen (BUN) levels...
- Peritubular capillary dysfunction and renal tubular epithelial cell stress following lipopolysaccharide administration in miceLiping Wu
Dept of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Univ of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 West Markham St, 611, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 292:F261-8. 2007..8951, P < 0.0001). These data show that peritubular capillary dysfunction is an early event that contributes to tubular stress and renal injury...
- Elevated blood urea nitrogen level as a predictor of mortality in patients admitted for decompensated heart failureDoron Aronson
Division of Cardiology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Am J Med 116:466-73. 2004..In heart failure, renal function involves both cardiovascular and hemodynamic properties. We studied the relation between renal dysfunction and mortality in patients admitted for decompensated heart failure...
- Biochemical and histopathological findings of N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate in oral surgery: an experimental studySamet Inal
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Ondokuz Mayis University, Samsun, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 102:e14-7. 2006..The objective of the present study was to investigate possible immediate and long-term systemic effects of N-butyl-2-cyanoacrylate in oral surgery...
- Protective effect of captopril against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in ratsEl Sayed M El-Sayed
Pharmacology and Toxicology Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Al Azhar University, Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt
Pak J Pharm Sci 21:255-61. 2008..A single dose of cisplatin (7.5 mg/kg bwt) injected i.p. caused a significant increase in blood urea nitrogen (BUN) and creatinine levels amounting to 402% and 573%, respectively with a marked elevation in lipid ..
- 6-Gingerol prevents cisplatin-induced acute renal failure in ratsAnurag Kuhad
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Biofactors 26:189-200. 2006..6-Gingerol is claimed to be a potent antioxidant. The present study was performed to explore the renoprotective potential of 6-gingerol on cisplatin-induced oxidative stress and renal dysfunction...
- Combination of exercise and enalapril enhances renoprotective and peripheral effects in rats with renal ablationMasayuki Kanazawa
Department of Internal Medicine and Rehabilitation Science, Center for Preventive Medicine and Well Being, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryo cho, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
Am J Hypertens 19:80-6. 2006..Therefore, we assessed the renal and peripheral effects of moderate to intense EX as well as the effects of the combination of EX and enalapril (ENA) in a rat model of CRF...
- Shiga toxin 1 causes direct renal injury in ratsElise T Yamamoto
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Research Institute, International Medical Center of Japan, 1 21 1 Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8655, Japan
Infect Immun 73:7099-106. 2005..right kidneys were removed after the Stx1 perfusion of the left kidneys, the serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen levels were increased from day 2, and acute renal failure followed on day 3...
- The nephroprotective effects of the herbal medicine preparation, WH30+, on the chemical-induced acute and chronic renal failure in ratsHeidi H Y Ngai
Division of Food and Nutritional Sciences, Department of Zoology The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, P R China
Am J Chin Med 33:491-500. 2005..05) greater creatinine clearance than those without treatment. The results of the study show that WH30+ is more effective in the prevention of acute renal failure than chronic renal failure...
- Role of nitric oxide in resveratrol-induced renal protective effects of ischemic preconditioningVikas Chander
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
J Vasc Surg 42:1198-205. 2005..This study was designed to explore the involvement of NO in the renoprotective effect of resveratrol in renal ischemic preconditioning in rat kidney...
- The effects of mibefradil, a T-type Ca2+ channels blocker, on the renal dysfunction and injury caused by ischemia-reperfusion of the rat kidneyAyten Gezici
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Medical School, Dicle University, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Ren Fail 27:775-81. 2005..Serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), kidney malondialdehyde (MDA) level were determined as well as examining the kidneys histologically...
- Parachlorophenylalanine exacerbates oxidative stress induced by gentamicin in ratsJuan R Munoz-Castaneda
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Medicine, University of Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 97:174-8. 2005..Catalase and superoxide dismutase activities were determined in brain tissue. Blood urea nitrogen and creatinine in plasma and total protein content in urine were also measured...
- Investigating the protective effects of aged garlic extract on cyclosporin-induced nephrotoxicity in ratsOrawan Wongmekiat
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 19:555-62. 2005..b>Blood urea nitrogen, serum creatinine, creatinine clearance, and renal histopathological changes were evaluated after 24 h of ..
- Effects of pre- and post-ischemic treatments with FK409, a nitric oxide donor, on ischemia/reperfusion-induced renal injury and endothelin-1 production in ratsAtsushi Nakajima
Department of Pharmacology, Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Takatsuki, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 29:577-9. 2006....
- The effect of alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone on gentamicin-induced acute nephrotoxicity in ratsMeltem Kolgazi
Department of Physiology, Marmara University, School of Medicine, 34668 Haydarpasa, Istanbul, Turkey
J Appl Toxicol 27:183-8. 2007..Trunk blood and 24 h urine were collected to measure the serum creatinine levels, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) levels and to calculate the creatinine clearance values...
- Chinese herbal formula Qilong-Lishui granule improves puromycin aminonucleoside-induced renal injury through regulation of bone morphogenetic proteinsPing Li
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Clinical Medical Science, China Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, China
Nephrology (Carlton) 12:466-73. 2007..However, molecular and cellular mechanisms of QLG are still unclear. Therefore, the objective of the current study is to investigate molecular and cellular mechanisms of QLG in puromycin aminonucleoside (PAN)-induced nephrotic syndrome...
- Preconditioning with oxygen attenuates rat renal ischemia-reperfusion injuryBahram Rasoulian
Research Center for Trauma, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Surg Res 146:282-8. 2008..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of pre-exposure to hyperoxic environment on rat renal IR injury for the first time...
- Oral sorbent AST-120 increases renal NO synthesis in uremic ratsZohra Tumur
Department of Clinical Preventive Medicine, Nagoya University Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
J Ren Nutr 18:60-4. 2008..We determined whether the administration of an oral sorbent, AST-120, increases the urine level of NOx and the renal expression of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) isoforms in CRF rats...
- Poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase as a potential target for the treatment of acute renal injury caused by lipopolysaccharideArda Tasatargil
Department of Pharmacology, Akdeniz University Medical Faculty, Antalya, Turkey
Ren Fail 30:115-20. 2008..Endotoxemia was induced by LPS injection (10 mg/kg, i.v.). LPS increased blood urea nitrogen (BUN) levels from 22 +/- 0.54 mg/dL to 45.7 +/- 5.79 mg/dL (p < 0.05)...
- Ozone oxidative preconditioning protects the rat kidney from reperfusion injury: the role of nitric oxideHui Chen
Department of Urology, Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan University, Wuhan, China
J Surg Res 149:287-95. 2008..The objective of this study was to examine the hypothesis that protective effects of OzoneOP in renal I/R injury were associated with endogenous NO...
- Exaggerated renal pathology of partial ablation-induced chronic renal failure in eNOS deficient miceChika Yamashita
Laboratory of Pathological and Molecular Pharmacology, Osaka University of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 4 20 1 Nasahara, Takatsuki, Osaka 569 1094, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 31:1029-31. 2008..There were significant increments of blood urea nitrogen level, plasma creatinine concentration and proteinuria in both wild-type and eNOS-/- mice at 8 weeks after ..
- Studies on the protective effect of dietary fish oil on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative damage in rat kidneyShubha Priyamvada
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Life Sciences, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh 202002, U P, India
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 78:369-81. 2008..GM nephrotoxicity was recorded by increased serum creatinine and blood urea nitrogen. GM increased the activities of lactate and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenases whereas decreased malate, ..
- Protective effects of N-acetylcysteine on cyclosporine-A-induced nephrotoxicityMehmet Duru
Mustafa Kemal University Medical Faculty, Hatay, Turkey
Ren Fail 30:453-9. 2008..We assessed the protective ability of N-acetylcysteine (NAC), an antioxidant, against CsA-induced nephrotoxicity...
- [Study of the Shenshuaining dispersible tablets in treating chronic renal failure rats induced by adenine]Yun Ma
Department of Pharmacy, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510515, China
Zhong Yao Cai 30:432-5. 2007..To observe the effect of Shenshuaining dispersible tablets in treating chronic renal failure (CRF) rats...
- Vitamin C attenuates cisplatin-induced alterations in renal brush border membrane enzymes and phosphate transportSabiha Fatima
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Life Sciences, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, 202002 UP, India
Hum Exp Toxicol 26:419-26. 2007..These results suggest that vitamin C is an effective chemoprotectant against cisplatin-induced acute renal failure and dysfunction of the renal BBM in rats...
- Differential effects of dihydropyridine calcium antagonists on doxorubicin-induced nephrotoxicity in ratsLi Lin Liu
Department of Pharmacology, Basic Medical School of Wuhan University, Wuhan 430071, China
Toxicology 231:81-90. 2007..with DXR alone caused significant changes in the levels of urinary protein, serum creatinine (SCr), and blood urea nitrogen (BUN). Co-administration with amlodipine effectively reversed the effect of DXR on these parameters...
- Stobadine protects rat kidney against ischaemia/reperfusion injuryGalip Guz
Department of Nephrology, Gazi University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 34:210-6. 2007..Immediately thereafter, blood was drawn and tissue samples were harvested to assess: (i) serum levels of blood urea nitrogen and creatinine; (ii) serum and/or tissue levels of malondialdehyde (MDA), glutathione (GSH), glucose 6-..
- Involvement of indoxyl sulfate in renal and central nervous system toxicities during cisplatin-induced acute renal failureKazufumi Iwata
Department of Pharmacy, Kumamoto University Hospital, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto, Japan
Pharm Res 24:662-71. 2007..The purpose of the present study was to explore the involvement of indoxyl sulfate (IS) in nephrotoxicity and central nervous system (CNS) toxicity in cisplatin (CDDP)-treated rats...
- Pharmacokinetics and hepatic extraction of metoprolol in rats with glycerol-induced acute renal failureHiroko Tanabe
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama 930 0194, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 30:552-5. 2007..These results suggested that the decreased CL/F of metoprolol in rats with glycerol-induced ARF is mainly a result of the increased initial absorption rate in the intestine followed by partial saturation of hepatic first-pass metabolism...
- [Experimental study of chronic kidney failure delayed by Xinshen capsule]Lu Yu
The Peoples Liberation Army 305 Hospital, Beijing 100017, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 31:2058-61. 2006..To evaluate the effect of Xinshen capsule upon the chronic kidney disease progress by the study of 7/8 kidney removal rat model...
- Hydroxyl radical scavenger ameliorates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by preventing oxidative stress, redox state unbalance, impairment of energetic metabolism and apoptosis in rat kidney mitochondriaN A G Santos
Departamento de Analises Clinicas, Toxicologicas e Bromatologicas, Faculdade de Ciências Farmacêuticas de Ribeirão Preto USP, Av do Cafe S N, 14040 903, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 61:145-55. 2008..cisplatin-induced effects were prevented by DMTU: (1) increased plasmatic levels of creatinine and blood urea nitrogen (BUN); (2) decreased ATP content, calcium uptake and electrochemical potential; (3) oxidation of lipids, ..
- Thymoquinone supplementation prevents the development of gentamicin-induced acute renal toxicity in ratsMohamed M Sayed-Ahmed
Department of Pharmacology, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 34:399-405. 2007..3. Gentamicin resulted in a significant increase in serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TBARS) and total nitrate/nitrite (NOx) and a significant ..
- Chronic renal failure-induced multiple-organ injury in rats is alleviated by the selective CysLT1 receptor antagonist montelukastGoksel Sener
Marmara University, School of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacology, Tibbiye Cad, 34668 Istanbul, Turkey
Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat 83:257-67. 2007..for 4 weeks. At the end of the 4 weeks, rats were decapitated and trunk blood was collected. Creatinine, blood urea nitrogen and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) activity were measured in the serum samples, while leukotriene B(4), TNF-..
- Protective effect of Zingiber officinale roscoe against anticancer drug doxorubicin-induced acute nephrotoxicityT A Ajith
Department of Biochemistry, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, Amala Nagar, Thrissur, Kerala 680 555, India
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3178-81. 2008..001) in the Z. officinale (400mg/kg) plus DXN treated group. The nephroprotection is mediated by preventing the DXN-induced decline of renal antioxidant status, and also by increasing the activity of GST...
- Gender Bias in Lupus: Contribution of Sex ChromosomesRam Raj Singh; Fiscal Year: 2012..on this spontaneous model of lupus will be ascertained using disease measures (proteinuria, creatinine, blood urea nitrogen and renal pathology), autoantibodies and immune responses...
- Predicting persistent Organ Failure early in Acute PancreatitisGeorgios I Papachristou; Fiscal Year: 2013..Using data from this same cohort, we will calculate the accuracy of 5 single markers (glucose, hematocrit, blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, and C-reactive protein) and 7 scoring systems (Ranson's, acute physiology and chronic ..
- Role of apolipoprotein M in acute kidney injuryDidier Portilla; Fiscal Year: 2012..We find also increased shedding of urinary ApoM that precedes changes in blood urea nitrogen and serum creatinine in wild type mice as well as human ApoM transgenic mice exposed to cisplatin...
- Nutrient Restriction: Placental and Fetal Brain and Renal Outcomes and MechanismPeter W Nathanielsz; Fiscal Year: 2012..Innovation: Our preliminary data show that 30% MNR produces F NR (decreased F blood urea nitrogen, amino acids and growth factors)...
- Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacogenomic Determinants of Cisplatin Kidney InjuryMelanie S Joy; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed studies incorporate traditional measures of clinical nephrotoxicity (serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen) and a novel biomarker (urinary Kim-1) to detect the phenotype of acute kidney injury...
- Regulation of Podocyte Differentiation by the Transcription Factor EBF1Jackie Fretz; Fiscal Year: 2013..vascularization, crescents, severely effaced podocytes, and these mice exhibit albuminuria and elevated blood urea nitrogen. We believe that Ebf1 is functioning during an intermediate to late stage of podocyte differentiation...
- CRIC Ancillary Study: Carbamylated low-density lipoprotein and cardiovascular eveSudhir V Shah; Fiscal Year: 2011..Patients with kidney disease have higher levels of blood urea nitrogen, which can be transformed into products that modify proteins by a process known as carbamylation...
- Novel Small-molecule TNF-a Modulators as Chemoprotective AgentsJiajiu Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2012..Based on this SBIR Phase I study, UTL-5g has been shown to reduce levels of blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, aspartate transaminase (AST), and alanine transaminase (ALT) elevated by cisplatin, ..
- Cardio-renal phenotype and prognosis in chronic heart failureJeffrey M Testani; Fiscal Year: 2012..e., RD). The risk attributable to RD appears to be isolated to patients with an elevated blood urea nitrogen to creatinine ratio (BUN/Cr), which is a surrogate for renal neurohormonal activation...
- Development of a Urea Biosensor Using the UreR ProteinHARRY MOBLEY; Fiscal Year: 2004..The blood urea nitrogen (BUN) test, a routine but critical clinical laboratory assay used to evaluate renal function, quantifies ..
- CHLOROANILINE-INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITYGARY RANKIN; Fiscal Year: 1992..content, pH, osmolality), in vitro accumulation of organic ions by renal cortical slices, kidney weight, blood urea nitrogen (BUN) concentration and histology (light and electron microscopy)...
- Multi-slice Perfusion MR Imaging of the Human KidneyH Gach; Fiscal Year: 2004..Bioassays of serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), and urine output may indicate the occurrence of renal dysfunction but not the type...
- CADMIUM TOXICOLOGYCurtis Klaassen; Fiscal Year: 2000..and enzymuria), (b) blood analysis (serum tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-1 and interleukin-6 vs blood urea nitrogen), (c) histology (localization of 4-hydroxynonenal- and malondialdehyde-adducts vs histopathology), (d) ..
- ANTAGONISTS FOR CIS-PLATINUM NEPHROTOXICITYMark Jones; Fiscal Year: 1990..function in experimental animals (rats) will be monitored (via measurement of serum creatinine levels and blood urea nitrogen values) as the animals are taken through various protocols designed to allow the administration of cis-..
- DYSPHAGIA THERAPY FOLLOWING STROKE--CONTROLLED TRIALMichael Reding; Fiscal Year: 1992..Dependent variables will assess the following: state of hydration (serum electrolytes, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), BUN to creatinine ratio, and urine specific gravity); calorie-nitrogen balance (body weight, serum ..
- Breath Ammonia Measurements for Dialysis AssessmentC Patel; Fiscal Year: 2001..We show correlations with reductions in blood urea nitrogen (BUN: approximately 90mg/dL to approximately 30mg/dL) and creatinine (approximately 14mg/dL to ..
- B-2 Microglobulin:Renal Biomarker Workplace U ExposureSusan Pinney; Fiscal Year: 2004..the relationship between beta-2-microglobulin and other parameters of renal function (serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen, urinary protein, blood and glucose in urine) and compare those relationships in workers to the unexposed ..
- CONVENTIONAL VS HIGH PROTEIN INTAKE RATE TO ELBW NEONATEPatti Thureen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Safety will be assessed by plasma amino acid and blood urea nitrogen concentrations...
- The Acute Physiology of Stroke Score (APSS)Karen Johnston; Fiscal Year: 2009..each of 11 routinely available acute physiology measures (blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, glucose, blood urea nitrogen, creatinine, sodium, potassium, billirubin, hematocrit and white blood count) and death in 2,250 critically ..
- Iron Therapy in Renal Disease: Potential ToxicitiesRICHARD ZAGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..Potential reasons for these differences will be assessed, with the ultimate goal of defining the safest way of administering parenteral irons to renal disease patients. ..
- ACUTE RENAL FAILURE--IMPACT OF FLUORINATED ANESTHETICSRICHARD ZAGER; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Technology and Endothelial Biology of Kidney Injury Molecule-1Vishal Vaidya; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Generation of Collecting Duct Knockout of PPARgammaTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2006..New information provided by this proposal is expected to provide insights into the roles of PPARgamma in regulation of fluid balance and in mediation of the side effects of TDZ. ..
- International Network and Registry for TMAHoward Trachtman; Fiscal Year: 2007..These include essential hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, myocardial infarction, and chronic kidney disease. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Hospital and Community Acquired Acute Renal FailureGlenn Chertow; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study will efficiently inform the Nephrology community by providing a foundation of fundamental information (ARF definitions, incidence, consequences and costs) upon which a clinical trials network can be built. ..
- Interaction of COX-2 AND nNOS in renin secretion (R01)Tianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Renal medullary COX-2 in blood pressure controlTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2008..The information resulted from these studies will provide new insight into the molecular mechanism responsible for long-term control of arterial blood pressure. ..
- PREDICTING AND IMPROVING OUTCOMES IN ACUTE RENAL FAILURERavindra Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2001..It is anticipated (by the applicants) that information gained from this study, being largely observational, will be used to rationally design intervention strategies in future years. ..
- Cerebral edema in pediatric ketoacidosisNicole Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2009..This initial animal data will form the basis for a randomized clinical trial of interventions for the prevention of CE in children with DKA which will be the main focus of the study. ..
- Environmental & Genetic Risk Factors for Renal FunctionVirginia Weaver; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe the proposed work will allow a more complete understanding of the causes of renal function decline and lead to the development of public health interventions to prevent this considerable public health problem. ..
- Molecular Analysis of Ureteric RefluxRobert Mak; Fiscal Year: 2006..A clinical database of primary VUR and RN will be set up to establish correlations between biomarkers and phenotype and to test the sensitivity and specificity of these markers for detecting primary VUR and RN. ..
- SORBENTS+ENGINEERED BACTERIA AS GUT-BASED UREMIA THERAPYNatarajan Ranganathan; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is equally feasible that our oral formulation may also have applications as a adjunct therapy for dialysis. ..
- Interaction of COX-2 and nNOS in renin secretionTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Human monoclonal antibody therapy for HUSHoward Trachtman; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Urinary Biomarkers for Steroid Resistant Nephrotic SyndrRobert Mak; Fiscal Year: 2005..We believe that data from the current study will improve our diagnostic and therapeutic strategy and may provide clues to the pathogenetic significance of the identified biomarkers. ..
- MULTICENTER TRIAL OF SYNSORB PK IN E COLI RELATED HUSHoward Trachtman; Fiscal Year: 2003..The outcome of this trial may justify the use of SYNSORB PK as a safe therapy to ameliorate D+HUS. ..
- A dietary supplement for augmenting kidney functionNatarajan Ranganathan; Fiscal Year: 2004..The fully developed product will have immense benefits for the uremic patients both in a higher quality of life and a decrease in the financial burden associated with renal dysfunction therapy. ..
- Novel Therapies for Resistant FSGSHoward Trachtman; Fiscal Year: 2006..The infrastructure that is established for the performance of this R21/R33 project should prove useful for the efficient assessment of additional novel therapies that will be developed in the future for patients with primary FSGS. ..
- Feasibility Study of Three NCEs for Rheumatoid ArthritisJiajiu Shaw; Fiscal Year: 2004..Ultimately, the successful drug candidate will provide a significantly improved therapy for patients suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis. ..
- Ischemia-induced Actin Cytoskeletal AlterationsBruce Molitoris; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ACTION - A CHF Trial Investigating Outcomes of ExerciseCHRISTOPHER O CONNOR; Fiscal Year: 2008..The trial will take place over 5 years with an initial 6 months for planning, training, and implementation; 3 years of enrollment; 1 year of follow-up; and 6 months for close out, analysis, and presentation. ..
- Estrogen in pathogenesis of tubulointerstitial diseaseChristine Maric; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- PREVENTION OF HEMODIALYSIS VASCULAR ACCESS STENOSISAlfred K Cheung; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is highly likely that, within this 5-year proposal, the results of this project can be applied to pilot clinical studies. ..
- NY Stroke Rehabilitation Clinical Trials NetworkMichael Reding; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- RAB5 AND PI-3-KINASE AND GENTAMICIN TOXICITYBruce Molitoris; Fiscal Year: 2002..By performing these studies, it is hoped that formulation of specific therapies to delay and/or inhibit this toxicity will become possible. ..
- Family Clustering of Incidence & Progression of CataractBarbara Klein; Fiscal Year: 2003..We currently have no funds to support the proposed analyses. We believe this project offers the possibility of examining important hypotheses in a large group of families in a population-based framework. ..
- Dietary Protein, Acid Loading and Bone MetabolismBASIL INCE; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- CHEMICAL INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITY--SUCCINIMIDESGARY RANKIN; Fiscal Year: 2001..Collectively, the results of these studies should add important, new knowledge about the nephrotoxic and urotoxic species of succinimides, cellular targets of the toxicant species and potential mechanisms of nephrotoxicity. ..
- Novel Risk Factors for Chronic Kidney DiseaseRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2008..The new data may provide insights into the relative protective value of low levels of these markers on the incidence CKD in an aging population. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Regulation of Pendrin by Angiotensin IISusan Wall; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will explore how pendrin controls absorption of Cl- by the kidney and why activity of pendrin and ENaC are so dependent on each other. ..
- Mechanisms of Hawthorn Action in Heart FailureBarry Bleske; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results from this study will have important translation to both the basic and clinical research settings. ..
- ACTION - A CHF Trial Investigating Outcomes of ExerciseGregg Fonarow; Fiscal Year: 2006..The trial will take place over 5 years with an initial 6 months for planning, training, and implementation; 3 years of enrollment; 1 year of follow-up; and 6 months for close out, analysis, and presentation. ..
- A Canine Model for Human X-Linked Ectodermal DysplasiaMargret Casal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, the HED dogs will be examined to demonstrate that a specific immune deficiency is responsible for pulmonary disease rather than the previously thought lack of respiratory mucoid glands. ..
- Lysophosphatidic Acid Receptors and Acute Renal FailureMARK OKUSA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these studies will provide the foundation for future human clinical trials of acute renal failure and renal allograft preservation. ..
- DISORDERED BLOOD COAGULATION IN SICKLE CELL DISEASEKenneth Ataga; Fiscal Year: 2006..e., is the "hypercoagulability" observed in patients with SCD a primary cause of the vasoocclusion or is it simply a secondary event that is observed in this clinical setting. ..
- CYP1A1 GENE AND ENVIRONMENTAL TOXICITYDaniel Nebert; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Retinal Microvascular Characteristics/Vascular DisordersRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- KALLISTATIN IN HYPERTENSIONJulie Chao; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Endonuclease dificiency in breast cancer progressionAlexei Basnakian; Fiscal Year: 2006..The next specific aim will be focused on functional studies to determine the role of EndoG in dedifferentiation and invasiveness of breast cancer cells in vitro (Specific Aim 2). ..
- PROGRESSION OF NUCLEAR DENSITY OVER A 10-YEAR INTERVALBarbara Klein; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- RETINAL ARTERIOLAR ABNORMALITIES AND CV MORTALITYRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2002..Data from this study will improve the understanding of the association between microvascular characteristics and cardiovascular mortality. ..
- Autologous Cellular Therapy for Ventricular DysfunctionRobert Kormos; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- WISCONSIN EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASRonald Klein; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Pharmacogenetic Optimization of Anticoagulation TherapyNita Limdi; Fiscal Year: 2007..With the award of the K23 grant, structured training, guidance of mentors, environment and institutional support provided by the University, I will develop the skills necessary for a productive career in pharmacogenetics research. ..