- Assessing kidney function--measured and estimated glomerular filtration rate
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
N Engl J Med 354:2473-83. 2006
- Comparative performance of the CKD Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) and the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) Study equations for estimating GFR levels above 60 mL/min/1.73 m2
Lesley A Stevens
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 56:486-95. 2010
..Here, performance of a more accurate GFR-estimating equation, the Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) equation, is reported by level of GFR and clinical characteristics...
- Serum cystatin C is superior to serum creatinine as a marker of kidney function: a meta-analysis
Vikas R Dharnidharka
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610 0296, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 40:221-6. 2002
..However, there are conflicting reports regarding the superiority of Cys C over serum creatinine (Cr), with a few studies suggesting no significant difference...
- Estimating GFR using serum cystatin C alone and in combination with serum creatinine: a pooled analysis of 3,418 individuals with CKD
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington St, Box 391, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 51:395-406. 2008
..We report the development and evaluation of GFR-estimating equations using serum cystatin C alone and serum cystatin C, serum creatinine, or both with demographic variables...
- Prevalence of kidney damage in Australian adults: The AusDiab kidney study
Steven J Chadban
Department of Nephrology, Monash Medical Centre, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:S131-8. 2003
..Identifying and targeting this section of the population may provide a means to reduce the burden of ESRD...
- Worsening renal function and prognosis in heart failure: systematic review and meta-analysis
Department of Cardiology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Card Fail 13:599-608. 2007
..The present study was designed to establish the proportion of patients with HF that exhibits (WRF) and the associated risk for mortality and hospitalization by conducting a systematic review and meta-analysis...
- Diagnostic accuracy of cystatin C compared to serum creatinine for the estimation of renal dysfunction in adults and children--a meta-analysis
Juliana F Roos
School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Clin Biochem 40:383-91. 2007
..To perform a systematic review comparing the diagnostic accuracy of CysC with SCr...
- Factors other than glomerular filtration rate affect serum cystatin C levels
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Clinical Care Research, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Kidney Int 75:652-60. 2009
..Hence, we found that cystatin C is affected by factors other than GFR which should be considered when the GFR is estimated using serum levels of cystatin C...
- Enzyme replacement therapy with agalsidase alfa in patients with Fabry's disease: an analysis of registry data
University College London, London, UK
Lancet 374:1986-96. 2009
..We analysed 5-year treatment with agalsidase alfa enzyme replacement therapy in patients with Fabry's disease who were enrolled in the Fabry Outcome Survey observational database (FOS)...
- Renal outcomes of agalsidase beta treatment for Fabry disease: role of proteinuria and timing of treatment initiation
David G Warnock
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 27:1042-9. 2012
..The purpose of this study was to identify determinants of renal disease progression in adults with Fabry disease during treatment with agalsidase beta...
- Netrin-1 and kidney injury. I. Netrin-1 protects against ischemia-reperfusion injury of the kidney
Division of Nephrology, H040, Pennsylvania State Univ College of Medicine, 500 Univ Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 294:F739-47. 2008
..These results suggest that downregulation of netrin-1 in vascular endothelial cells may promote endothelial cell activation and infiltration of leukocytes into the kidney thereby enhancing tubular injury...
- Cystatin C-based equations in renal transplantation: moving toward a better glomerular filtration rate prediction?
Service de Nephrologie, Dialyse, Transplantation Renale, Laboratoires d Explorations Fonctionnelles Rénales, Saint Etienne, France
Transplantation 85:1855-8. 2008
..95, 95% CI 0.91-1) than for the MDRD equation (0.76, 95% CI 0.67-0.85). These data confirm that cystatin C as a GFR marker offers significant advantages over creatinine in renal transplantation...
- Implication of CKD-EPI equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate in Chinese patients with chronic kidney disease
Department of Nephrology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, PR China
Ren Fail 33:859-65. 2011
..To evaluate the applicability of the Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate (GFR) in Chinese patients of different stages of CKD...
- Protective effect of Zingiber officinale roscoe against anticancer drug doxorubicin-induced acute nephrotoxicity
T A Ajith
Department of Biochemistry, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, Amala Nagar, Thrissur, Kerala 680 555, India
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3178-81. 2008
..001) in the Z. officinale (400mg/kg) plus DXN treated group. The nephroprotection is mediated by preventing the DXN-induced decline of renal antioxidant status, and also by increasing the activity of GST...
- Netrin-1 regulates Th1/Th2/Th17 cytokine production and inflammation through UNC5B receptor and protects kidney against ischemia-reperfusion injury
Raghu Kempegowda Tadagavadi
Division of Nephrology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Immunol 185:3750-8. 2010
..Our studies demonstrate that netrin-1 acting through UNC5B receptor reduces renal ischemia-reperfusion injury and its associated renal inflammation...
- Evolution and predictive power of serum cystatin C in acute renal failure
Department of Surgery, Division of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Intensive Care Unit, Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Clin Nephrol 62:344-50. 2004
..Little is known about cystatin C in critical illness. We assessed serum cystatin C as a marker of renal function in acute renal failure (ARF) and its power in predicting survival of ARF patients...
- Rapid microplate method for PAH estimation
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University and Richard L Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 283:F236-41. 2002
..The microplate method is a reliable alternative to a reference HPLC method and can be performed for a fraction of the cost, time, and reagents...
- Report of the Radionuclides in Nephrourology Committee on renal clearance
M D Blaufox
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Montefiore Medical Park, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Nucl Med 37:1883-90. 1996
..This report is meant to provide guidance to those centers that would like to initiate clearance procedures but have difficulty in choosing appropriate methodology...
- How to estimate GFR-serum creatinine, serum cystatin C or equations?
Department of Nephrology, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Clin Biochem 40:153-61. 2007
..In principle, clinicians should be aware of the limitations of and cautioned not to overrate estimated GFR by single markers or calculated by equations and should not entirely rely on GFR estimates to make precise clinical decisions...
- Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) in predicting worsening renal function in acute decompensated heart failure
Education Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Card Fail 16:49-54. 2010
..We sought to determine the relationship between admission serum NGAL levels and WRF in the setting of ADHF...
- Increased blood pressure but normal renal function in adult women born preterm
Institute of Woman s and Child s Health, Karolinska Institute, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital Q2 09, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Pediatr Nephrol 15:215-20. 2000
..The objective of this study was to investigate the relationship between birth weight, blood pressure, and kidney function in adult subjects who were born preterm or born small for gestational age (SGA)...
- Diabetic kidney disease in the db/db mouse
Dorrance Hamilton Research Laboratory, Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 284:F1138-44. 2003
..Furthermore, we discuss shortfalls of assessing functional renal disease in mouse models of diabetic kidney disease...
- Clinical features of non-diabetic renal diseases in patients with type 2 diabetes
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 69:237-42. 2005
..Our study confirmed that the absence of retinopathy and short duration of diabetes are useful clinical indications for renal biopsy in diabetic patients with overt proteinuria...
- Acute kidney injury following coronary angiography is associated with a long-term decline in kidney function
Matthew T James
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Kidney Int 78:803-9. 2010
..8 ml/min following moderate to severe acute kidney injury. Thus, acute kidney injury following coronary angiography is associated with a sustained loss and a larger rate of future decline in kidney function...
- Metabolomic profiling of uremic solutes in CKD patients
Division of Nephrology, Endocrinology, and Vascular Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Hypertens Res 33:944-52. 2010
..These compounds provide diagnostic information and may be targets for therapies designed to treat the complications of CKD patients...
- Prevalence and factors associated with renal impairment in HIV-infected patients, ANRS C03 Aquitaine Cohort, France
E K Déti
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U897, Bordeaux, F 33076, France
HIV Med 11:308-17. 2010
..The aims of the present study were to estimate the prevalence of renal impairment (RI) among HIV-infected adult patients and to investigate the associated factors...
- Early renal function post-liver transplantation is predictive of progressive chronic kidney disease
Department of Transplantation and Liver Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:344-9. 2008
- Established and emerging markers of kidney function
Michael A Ferguson
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Chem 58:680-9. 2012
..Several novel biomarkers of kidney injury and function are under investigation...
- Soluble guanylate cyclase stimulation prevents fibrotic tissue remodeling and improves survival in salt-sensitive Dahl rats
Cardiology Research, Bayer HealthCare, Wuppertal, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e21853. 2011
..Little is known about their effects on tissue remodeling and degeneration and survival in experimental malignant hypertension...
- Neutrophil gelatinase--associated lipocalin predicts acute kidney injury in patients undergoing liver transplantation
Andrew J Portal
Institute of Liver Studies, Denmark Hill, London, England
Liver Transpl 16:1257-66. 2010
..In conclusion, a combination of NGAL and APACHE II predicts AKI with high sensitivity and specificity after LT...
- Urinary neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a marker of acute kidney injury after orthotopic liver transplantation
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 26:1717-23. 2011
..It predicts acute kidney injury (AKI) in multiple clinical scenarios. We hypothesized that urinary NGAL can predict AKI after liver transplantation...
- Cystatin C as a marker of glomerular filtration rate in voluntary kidney donors
Department of Nephrology and Renal Transplantation, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Exp Clin Transplant 10:14-7. 2012
..This study sought to assess the usefulness of serum cystatin C as a marker of glomerular filtration rate in comparison with serum creatinine and serum creatinine-based glomerular filtration rate estimations in voluntary kidney donors...
- Development of cardiovascular disease due to renal insufficiency in male sheep following fetal unilateral nephrectomy
Reetu R Singh
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
J Hypertens 27:386-96. 2009
..Renal insufficiency is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease...
- Modified diet in renal disease method overestimates renal function in selected elderly patients
Gregory William Roberts
Pharmacy Department, Repatriation General Hospital, Daw Park, SA 5041, Australia
Age Ageing 38:698-703. 2009
..We needed to assess which renal function estimate was most suited for drug dose estimation in our population...
- Evaluating the performance of equations for estimating glomerular filtration rate
Lesley A Stevens
Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, 800 Washington Street, Box 391 Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nephrol 21:797-807. 2008
- Prospective study of progression of kidney dysfunction in community-dwelling older adults
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nephrology (Carlton) 13:99-103. 2008
..Few prospective studies have assessed renal dysfunction in older persons. We sought to define kidney dysfunction among a community-based cohort of elderly subjects and to determine the factors for its progression...
- Commonly used surrogates for baseline renal function affect the classification and prognosis of acute kidney injury
Edward D Siew
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Kidney Int 77:536-42. 2010
..Our study found that commonly used surrogates for baseline serum creatinine result in bi-directional misclassification of the incidence and prognosis of acute kidney injury in a hospital setting...
- Central pulse pressure and aortic stiffness determine renal hemodynamics: pathophysiological implication for microalbuminuria in hypertension
Department of Blood Pressure Research, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryo cho, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
Hypertension 58:839-46. 2011
..In conclusion, increased aortic pulse pressure causes renal microvascular damage through altered renal hemodynamics resulting from increased peripheral resistance and/or increased flow pulsation...
- A clinician's guide to monitoring kidney function in lithium-treated patients
James W Jefferson
Department of Psychiatry, Healthcare Technology Systems, Inc, 7617 Mineral Point Rd, Ste 300, Madison, WI 53717, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 71:1153-7. 2010
..This overview clarifies those practical aspects of monitoring that are often overlooked or misunderstood...
- High-normal serum uric acid increases risk of early progressive renal function loss in type 1 diabetes: results of a 6-year follow-up
Linda H Ficociello
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1337-43. 2010
..Here, we prospectively investigated whether baseline uric acid impacts the risk of early progressive renal function loss (early GFR loss) in these patients...
- Renal resistance index and progression of renal disease
Department of Nephrology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Hypertension 39:699-703. 2002
..A renal resistance index value of greater-than-or-equal to 80 reliably identifies patients at risk for progressive renal disease...
- Association between chronic kidney disease and coronary artery calcification: the Dallas Heart Study
Loyola Medical Center, Department of Preventive Medicine, 2160 First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:507-13. 2005
..These findings need to be confirmed in study populations that include adults >65 yr of age and a larger number of CKD cases...
- Renal resistive index and long-term outcome in chronic nephropathies
Department of Nephrology, Tor Vergata University, Viale Oxford 81, 00133 Rome, Italy
Radiology 252:888-96. 2009
..To assess the clinical validity of renal resistive index (RI) to determine prognosis and guide therapy over a long-term follow-up in patients with chronic nephropathies and to verify the commonly used threshold value of 0.70...
- Renal resistive index and renal function before and after paracentesis in patients with hepatorenal syndrome and tense ascites
II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
Intensive Care Med 35:152-6. 2009
..To assess the effect of reducing intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) by paracentesis on renal resistive index (RI), hemodynamics and renal function...
- Cystatin C, albuminuria, and mortality among older adults with diabetes
Ian H De Boer
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 32:1833-8. 2009
..Joint associations of albuminuria and impaired GFR with mortality have not been comprehensively evaluated in this population...
- A comparison of the predictive performance of different methods of kidney function estimation in a well-characterized HIV-infected population
Division of Nephrology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B C, Canada
Nephron Clin Pract 111:c39-48. 2009
..Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimation equations have never been validated in the HIV population. This pilot study aimed to compare all currently available methods of kidney function assessment with nuclear GFR in HIV-infected adults...
- Accumulation of trimethylamine and trimethylamine-N-oxide in end-stage renal disease patients undergoing haemodialysis
Marcus A Bain
Centre for Pharmaceutical Research, University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:1300-4. 2006
..The clinical significance of TMA may be related to its potential to contribute to neurological toxicity and 'uraemic breath' in patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD)...
- Long-term safety and efficacy of enzyme replacement therapy for Fabry disease
William R Wilcox
Cedars Sinai Burns and Allen Research Institute and UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Hum Genet 75:65-74. 2004
..Thus, enzyme replacement therapy for 30-36 mo with agalsidase beta resulted in continuously decreased plasma GL-3 levels, sustained endothelial GL-3 clearance, stable kidney function, and a favorable safety profile...
- Evidence that kidney function but not type 2 diabetes determines retinol-binding protein 4 serum levels
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology of Nutrition, Institute of Nutritional Science, University of Potsdam, Potsdam, Germany
Diabetes 57:3323-6. 2008
..However, circulating RBP4 levels are also affected by kidney function. Therefore, the aim of this study was to test whether RBP4 serum levels are primarily associated with kidney function or type 2 diabetes...
- Renal function at the time of renal biopsy as a predictor of prognosis in patients with primary AL-type amyloidosis
Shinrakuen Hospital, 1 27 Nishi Ariake, Niigata 950 2087, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 8:127-33. 2004
- Renal function--estimation of glomerular filtration rate
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Krankenhaus Nordwest, Frankfurt, Germany
Clin Chem Lab Med 44:1295-302. 2006
..The cystatin C prediction equation with the use of a prepubertal factor seems superior to creatinine-based prediction equations in children of <14 years...
- Post liver transplantation acute kidney injury in a rat model of syngeneic orthotopic liver transplantation
Department of Nephrology, Ruijin Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, PR China
Lab Invest 91:1158-69. 2011
..Our results demonstrate that protection of the liver graft and inhibition of the systemic inflammatory response are vital in reducing the risk of post-LT AKI...
- Cystatin C as a filtration marker--haemodialysis patients expose its strengths and limitations
Per A Sjöström
Department of Medicine, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 69:65-72. 2009
..Haemodialysis patients with no residual renal function would be the best population in which to investigate these variables, which otherwise require reliable GFR measurements...
- Influence of thyroid function on different kidney function tests
Division of General Internal Medicine and Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Robert Bosch Hospital, Stuttgart, Germany
Kidney Blood Press Res 35:9-17. 2012
The commonly used kidney function tests have limitations, especially in thyroid dysfunction. Therefore, we studied the most commonly used kidney function tests in patients with hypo- and hyperthyroidism and after reaching euthyroidism.
- Is it necessary to stent renal artery stenosis patients before cardiopulmonary bypass procedures?
Department of Cardiology, Beijing Anzhen Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100029, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 124:1453-7. 2011
..The aim of this retrospective study was to investigate whether stent implantation before cardiopulmonary bypass has beneficial effect on development of AKI in renal artery stenosis (RAS) patients...
- Use of the galactose-based contrast agent SHU 508A (Levovist) in renal ultrasonography of the dog
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Via Tolara di Sopra, 50, 40064, Ozzano dell Emilia, BO, Italy
Vet Res Commun 29:305-7. 2005
- Enzyme replacement therapy in Fabry disease: a randomized controlled trial
Developmental and Metabolic Neurology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bldg 10, Room 3D03, National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892 1260, USA
JAMA 285:2743-9. 2001
..Most patients experience debilitating neuropathic pain and premature mortality because of renal failure, cardiovascular disease, or cerebrovascular disease...
- Renal resistance index is a marker of future renal dysfunction in patients with essential hypertension
Department of Integrated Medicine and Informatics, Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Toon City, Ehime Japan
J Nephrol 23:175-80. 2010
..Cystatin C is has been reported to be related to TOD in EHT. The aim of the present study was to clarify whether the RI predicts future renal function assessed by cystatin C levels in EHT...
- How to assess renal function in the geriatric population
IRCCS Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza Hospital, San Giovanni Rotondo, Foggia, Italy
J Nephrol 23:S46-54. 2010
- Once-daily prolonged-release tacrolimus (ADVAGRAF) versus twice-daily tacrolimus (PROGRAF) in liver transplantation
Department of Hepatogastroenterology, IKEM, Prague, Czech Republic
Am J Transplant 10:2313-23. 2010
..3% for tacrolimus QD. Adverse event (AE) profiles were similar for both tacrolimus BID and QD with comparable incidences of AEs and serious AEs. Tacrolimus QD was well tolerated with similar efficacy and safety profiles to tacrolimus BID...
- Biomarkers of congenital obstructive nephropathy: past, present and future
Robert L Chevalier
Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Urol 172:852-7. 2004
..This review addresses the need to define biomarkers that serve as surrogate end points for measuring the severity of obstruction, the evolution of renal maldevelopment and injury, and the response to medical or surgical intervention...
- Comparing cystatin C and creatinine in the diagnosis of pediatric acute renal allograft dysfunction
Pauline R Slort
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, VU University Medical Center, Postbox 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Nephrol 27:843-9. 2012
- Comparative nephrotoxicitiy induced by melamine, cyanuric acid, or a mixture of both chemicals in either Sprague-Dawley rats or renal cell lines
Division of Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
J Toxicol Environ Health A 73:1407-19. 2010
..Furthermore, the 24-h IC(50) value for MC was found to be 208 μg/ml in ACHN cells. Data suggest that NOAELs based upon acute nephrotoxic parameters for MC were low, which might require further reassessment of the current TDI...
- Performance evaluation of a turbidimetric cystatin C assay on different high-throughput platforms
Lars Olof Hansson
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 70:347-53. 2010
..The goal with this study was to evaluate the analytical performance of a new cystatin C immunoassay (Tina-quant a Cystatin C, Roche Diagnostics GmbH). The evaluation was carried out at four centers according to a standardized protocol...
- The importance of standardization of creatinine in the implementation of guidelines and recommendations for CKD: implications for CKD management programmes
Wim Van Biesen
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Ghent, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:77-83. 2006
- Developing a consensus classification system for acute renal failure
John A Kellum
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Curr Opin Crit Care 8:509-14. 2002
..Recommendations for validating a classification system are also considered...
- The kidney in heart failure
Natale G De Santo
First Division of Nephrology Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Semin Nephrol 25:404-7. 2005
..Because in chronic kidney disease heart dysfunction commonly is present, an efficient cardiologist-nephrologist interaction should be promoted...
- Prospective randomized study evaluating the efficacy of the spherical adsorptive carbon AST-120 in chronic kidney disease patients with moderate decrease in renal function
Department of Nephrology, Osaka General Medical Center, Osaka, Japan
Nephron Clin Pract 105:c99-107. 2007
..We studied whether adding the spherical adsorptive carbon AST-120 to conventional treatments is effective in inhibiting progression of chronic kidney disease (CKD) at the stage of moderate decrease in renal function...
- Serum cystatin C: a useful marker of kidney function in very old people
Sophiahemmet, 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 69:606-11. 2009
..Serum creatinine-based estimates of GFR may be inaccurate in the elderly and there is need for improvement. Serum Cystatin C, not being influenced by muscle volume, may be more accurate...
- Mild renal dysfunction is a risk factor for a decrease in bone mineral density and vertebral fractures in Japanese postmenopausal women
Division of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Chuo Ku, Kobe, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:4635-42. 2010
..The effect of mild renal dysfunction on bone mineral density and fracture risk is uncertain...
- Assessing renal function in cirrhotic patients: problems and pitfalls
Deb S Sherman
Department of Pharmacy, University of Colorado Hospital, Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 41:269-78. 2003
- The effectiveness of steroid therapy for patients with advanced IgA nephropathy and impaired renal function
Department of Medicine, Kidney Center, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8666, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 8:237-42. 2004
..However, the effectiveness of steroid therapy has not been determined yet in patients with advanced IgAN and impaired renal function...
- Circulating levels of osteopontin are closely related to glomerular filtration rate and cardiovascular risk markers in patients with chronic kidney disease
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Eur J Clin Invest 40:294-300. 2010
..Therefore, we assessed the relationship between OPN plasma levels and renal function in patients at different stages of chronic kidney disease (CKD)...
- The effects of isoflurane anesthesia and mechanical ventilation on renal function during endotoxemia
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 55:401-10. 2011
..It has been suggested to have beneficial anti-inflammatory properties and to protect kidney function. Here, we investigated the effect of isoflurane on the development of kidney injury and dysfunction during 48-h endotoxemia in sheep...
- Efficacy of immunosuppressive therapy in IgA nephropathy presenting with isolated hematuria
Department of Nephrology, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital, Medical School of Istanbul, Turkey
Int Urol Nephrol 33:167-71. 2002
..We conclude that early treatment with prednisolone and azathioprine appears to be beneficial in preventing the progression of immunologic renal injury and in improving histopathological features in IgAN patients with isolated hematuria...
- The impact of kidney function at highly active antiretroviral therapy initiation on mortality in HIV-infected women
Michelle M Estrella
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:217-20. 2010
..We re-examined this association in the later HAART period to determine whether chronic kidney disease remains a predictor of death after HAART initiation...
- Uric acid correlates with the severity of histopathological parameters in IgA nephropathy
Medical School, University of Tampere, FIN 33014, Finland
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:89-95. 2005
..Many clinical and histopathological risk factors for progression have been found previously. Recently, metabolic risk factors, such as hyperuricaemia and hypertriglyceridaemia, also have been associated with the progression of IgAN...
- Morbidity, mortality and economic burden of renal impairment in cardiac intensive care
D P Chew
Flinders University, South Australia, Australia
Intern Med J 36:185-92. 2006
..Moderate to severe impairment of renal function has emerged as a potent risk factor for adverse short- and long-term outcomes among patients presenting with cardiac disease...
- Renal function in the elderly (>70 years old) measured by means of iohexol clearance, serum creatinine, serum urea and estimated clearance
Department of Renal Medicine, Huddinge University Hospital and Sophiahemmet, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Urol Nephrol 38:73-7. 2004
..We were also interested to find out whether GFR estimated using different equations correlated with the exact measurements...
- Minimal changes of serum creatinine predict prognosis in patients after cardiothoracic surgery: a prospective cohort study
Department of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital of Vienna, Waehrihger Guertel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:1597-605. 2004
..Any even minimal increase or profound decrease of serum creatinine was associated with a substantial decrease in survival...
- Neuropsychological and renal effects of dental amalgam in children: a randomized clinical trial
David C Bellinger
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital Boston, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
JAMA 295:1775-83. 2006
..No randomized trials have been published that address the concern that inhalation of mercury vapor released by amalgam dental restorations causes adverse health effects...
- Four-year follow-up of Palmaz-Schatz stent revascularization as treatment for atherosclerotic renal artery stenosis
William Dorros Isadore Feuer Interventional Cardiovascular Disease, Foundation Ltd, Milwaukee, Wis, USA
Circulation 98:642-7. 1998
..Stent revascularization is perceived as superior to balloon angioplasty and surgical revascularization, but the paucity of stent publications precludes even historical comparison with surgical data...
- Serum levels of adipokine retinol-binding protein-4 in relation to renal function
Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Diabetes Care 30:2588-92. 2007
..The majority of the diabetic subjects used oral hypoglycemic agents or insulin...
- Effects of taurine and enalapril on kidney function of the hypertensive glucose-intolerant rat
Mahmood S Mozaffari
Department of Oral Biology and Maxillofacial Pathology, CB 3710, Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry, Augusta, GA 30912 1128, USA
Am J Hypertens 16:673-80. 2003
- Combination treatment of angiotensin-II receptor blocker and angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor in non-diabetic renal disease (COOPERATE): a randomised controlled trial
Division of Nephrology, Showa University Fujigaoka Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Lancet 361:117-24. 2003
- Renal function and size at young adult age after intrauterine growth restriction and very premature birth
Mandy G Keijzer-Veen
Department of Pediatric Nephrology, Erasmus MC Sophia Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Kidney Dis 50:542-51. 2007
..Premature birth and intrauterine growth restriction may increase the risk of developing renal disease at adult age. Renal function may already be impaired at young adult age...
- Renal function after port access and median sternotomy mitral valve surgery
Department of Cardiac Surgery, General Hospital Maribor, Maribor, Slovenia
Heart Surg Forum 10:E401-7. 2007
..We tested the hypothesis that minimally invasive port access (PA) surgery is linked to a smaller postoperative renal injury compared to the standard median Sternotomy (MS) technique...
- Assessing the prevalence, monitoring and management of chronic kidney disease in patients with diabetes compared with those without diabetes in general practice
J P New
Vascular Research Group, Hope Hospital, Salford, UK
Diabet Med 24:364-9. 2007
- Serial measurements of cystatin C are more accurate than creatinine-based methods in detecting declining renal function in type 1 diabetes
Endocrine Centre, Austin Health, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Diabetes Care 31:971-3. 2008
..Cystatin C-and creatinine-based methods were compared with (99m)-technetium-diethylene-triamine-penta-acetic acid ((99m)Tc-DTPA) plasma clearance (isotopic glomerular filtration rate [iGFR]) for detecting declining renal function...
- Chronic kidney disease is associated with angiographic coronary artery disease
Division of Renal Diseases and Hypertension, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colo 80262, USA
Am J Nephrol 28:354-60. 2008
..Patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) have a dramatically increased risk for cardiovascular mortality. Few prior studies have examined the independent association of CKD with coronary anatomy...
- Reporting of estimated GFR in the primary care clinic
Department of Medicine, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 49:634-41. 2007
..Patients with early (stage 3) CKD remain undiagnosed in primary care clinics; therefore, we hypothesized that routine reporting of eGFR in outpatient clinics would improve the recognition and treatment of CKD...
- Endothelin levels in Henoch-Schonlein purpura
Ondokuz Mayis University, School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, 55139 Samsun, Turkey
Pediatr Nephrol 17:920-5. 2002
..There was no correlation between ET-1 levels and disease severity, acute phase reactant response, or morbidity. The role of endothelins and other cytokines in the pathogenesis of HSP needs to be further explored...
- Smoking is associated with renal impairment and proteinuria in the normal population: the AusDiab kidney study. Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle Study
Esther M Briganti
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Central and Eastern Clinical School, Alfred Hospital, Prahran, Victoria, Australia
Am J Kidney Dis 40:704-12. 2002
..We examined the relationship between smoking and indicators of kidney damage in a healthy population without impaired fasting glucose levels, impaired glucose tolerance, diabetes mellitus, or hypertension...
- Contribution of E-NTPDase1 (CD39) to renal protection from ischemia-reperfusion injury
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Tubingen University Hospital, Tubingen, Germany
FASEB J 21:2863-73. 2007
..Moreover, the present studies suggest apyrase treatment as a novel pharmacological approach to renal diseases precipitated by limited oxygen availability...
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate: Cockcroft-Gault and Modification of Diet in Renal Disease formulas compared to renal inulin clearance
Hawaii Permanente Medical Group, 3288 Moanalua Road, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:899-906. 2009
..The Cockcroft-Gault (CG) and Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) formulas are the most commonly used estimations...
- The unrecognized prevalence of chronic kidney disease in diabetes
Rachel J Middleton
Department of Renal Medicine, Hope Hospital, Stott Lane, Salford M6 8HD, UK, and Chronic Disease Research Group and University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:88-92. 2006
..The aim of this study was to estimate the burden of CKD in patients with diabetes and examine the ability of serum creatinine and albuminuria to detect clinically meaningful CKD compared with estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR)...
- Impact of moderate renal insufficiency on restenosis and adverse clinical events after paclitaxel-eluting and bare metal stent implantation: results from the TAXUS-IV Trial
Cardiovascular Research Foundation, New York, NY 10022, USA
Am Heart J 150:1163-70. 2005
..We sought to evaluate the impact of baseline RI on clinical and angiographic outcomes in patients undergoing elective percutaneous coronary intervention using either bare metal or paclitaxel-eluting stents...
- Should the preservation of residual renal function cost volume overload and its consequence left ventricular hypertrophy in new hemodialysis patients?
Ali Ihsan Gunal
Department of Nephrology, Firat University Medical School, Elazig, Turkey
Ren Fail 26:405-9. 2004
..It is more likely that volume expansion in patients on CAPD may preserve RRF. The aim of this study was to investigate whether there is a cause-effect relationship between volume overload and preserving RRF in new hemodialysis patients...
- Projecting the number of patients with end-stage renal disease in the United States to the year 2015
David T Gilbertson
United States Renal Data System Coordinating Center University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55404, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:3736-41. 2005
..The financial and human resources that will be needed to care for these patients in 2015 will be considerably greater than in 2005...
- Drawbacks of the use of indirect estimates of renal function to evaluate the effect of risk factors on renal function
Jacobien C Verhave
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University Medical Center, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:1316-22. 2004
..For studying the relation of risk factors and renal function in large population studies, indirect estimates of renal function should be used with caution...
- Hyperphosphatemia in Chinese peritoneal dialysis patients with and without residual kidney function: what are the implications?
Angela Yee Moon Wang
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Prince of Wales Hospital, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
Am J Kidney Dis 43:712-20. 2004
..Hyperphosphatemia is an important predictor for mortality in hemodialysis patients. This study evaluated significant factors associated with hyperphosphatemia in peritoneal dialysis (PD) patients...