- Assessing kidney function--measured and estimated glomerular filtration rate
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
N Engl J Med 354:2473-83. 2006
- Serum cystatin C is superior to serum creatinine as a marker of kidney function: a meta-analysis
Vikas R Dharnidharka
Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL 32610 0296, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 40:221-6. 2002
..However, there are conflicting reports regarding the superiority of Cys C over serum creatinine (Cr), with a few studies suggesting no significant difference...
- Estimating GFR using serum cystatin C alone and in combination with serum creatinine: a pooled analysis of 3,418 individuals with CKD
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Tufts New England Medical Center, 750 Washington St, Box 391, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 51:395-406. 2008
..We report the development and evaluation of GFR-estimating equations using serum cystatin C alone and serum cystatin C, serum creatinine, or both with demographic variables...
- Modification of the CKD epidemiology collaboration (CKD-EPI) equation for Japanese: accuracy and use for population estimates
Department of Functional Diagnostic Science, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Am J Kidney Dis 56:32-8. 2010
..We modified the CKD-EPI equation for use in Japan, compared its accuracy with the Japanese modification of the MDRD Study equation, and compared the prevalence of CKD in Japan using both equations...
- Prevalence of kidney damage in Australian adults: The AusDiab kidney study
Steven J Chadban
Department of Nephrology, Monash Medical Centre, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:S131-8. 2003
..Identifying and targeting this section of the population may provide a means to reduce the burden of ESRD...
- Comparative performance of the CKD Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) and the Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) Study equations for estimating GFR levels above 60 mL/min/1.73 m2
Lesley A Stevens
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 56:486-95. 2010
..Here, performance of a more accurate GFR-estimating equation, the Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) equation, is reported by level of GFR and clinical characteristics...
- Urinary neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a marker of acute kidney injury after orthotopic liver transplantation
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 26:1717-23. 2011
..It predicts acute kidney injury (AKI) in multiple clinical scenarios. We hypothesized that urinary NGAL can predict AKI after liver transplantation...
- Report of the Radionuclides in Nephrourology Committee on renal clearance
M D Blaufox
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Montefiore Medical Park, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Nucl Med 37:1883-90. 1996
..This report is meant to provide guidance to those centers that would like to initiate clearance procedures but have difficulty in choosing appropriate methodology...
- Worsening renal function and prognosis in heart failure: systematic review and meta-analysis
Department of Cardiology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
J Card Fail 13:599-608. 2007
..The present study was designed to establish the proportion of patients with HF that exhibits (WRF) and the associated risk for mortality and hospitalization by conducting a systematic review and meta-analysis...
- Diagnostic accuracy of cystatin C compared to serum creatinine for the estimation of renal dysfunction in adults and children--a meta-analysis
Juliana F Roos
School of Pharmacy, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD 4072, Australia
Clin Biochem 40:383-91. 2007
..To perform a systematic review comparing the diagnostic accuracy of CysC with SCr...
- Factors other than glomerular filtration rate affect serum cystatin C levels
Lesley A Stevens
Division of Nephrology, Clinical Care Research, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Kidney Int 75:652-60. 2009
..Hence, we found that cystatin C is affected by factors other than GFR which should be considered when the GFR is estimated using serum levels of cystatin C...
- Measured GFR as a confirmatory test for estimated GFR
Lesley A Stevens
Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:2305-13. 2009
..We suggest plasma clearance of nonradioactive markers be more widely implemented in clinical settings. Further research is necessary on the impact of the use of measured GFR as a confirmatory test...
- Association between renal function and circulating levels of natriuretic peptides (from the Dallas Heart Study)
Sandeep R Das
Donald W Reynolds Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Am J Cardiol 102:1394-8. 2008
..With eGFR <90 ml/min/1.73 m(2), both NT-pro-BNP and BNP were inversely and independently associated with renal function, with a greater magnitude of association with renal impairment noted for NT-pro-BNP...
- Developing a consensus classification system for acute renal failure
John A Kellum
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Curr Opin Crit Care 8:509-14. 2002
..Recommendations for validating a classification system are also considered...
- High rate of reversibility of renal damage in a cohort of HIV-infected patients receiving tenofovir-containing antiretroviral therapy
Lluita contra la SIDA Foundation, Germans Trias i Pujol University Hospital, Autonomous University, Barcelona, Spain
Antiviral Res 96:65-9. 2012
- Neutrophil gelatinase--associated lipocalin predicts acute kidney injury in patients undergoing liver transplantation
Andrew J Portal
Institute of Liver Studies, Denmark Hill, London, England
Liver Transpl 16:1257-66. 2010
..In conclusion, a combination of NGAL and APACHE II predicts AKI with high sensitivity and specificity after LT...
- Comparative effects of low-carbohydrate high-protein versus low-fat diets on the kidney
Allon N Friedman
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:1103-11. 2012
..Concerns exist about deleterious renal effects of low-carbohydrate high-protein weight loss diets. This issue was addressed in a secondary analysis of a parallel randomized, controlled long-term trial...
- Relation of systemic and urinary neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin levels to different aspects of impaired renal function in patients with acute decompensated heart failure
Heart and Vascular Institute, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Cardiol 110:1329-35. 2012
..Both systemic and urine NGAL predict worsening renal function...
- High-normal serum uric acid increases risk of early progressive renal function loss in type 1 diabetes: results of a 6-year follow-up
Linda H Ficociello
Research Division, Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1337-43. 2010
..Here, we prospectively investigated whether baseline uric acid impacts the risk of early progressive renal function loss (early GFR loss) in these patients...
- Enzyme replacement therapy with agalsidase alfa in patients with Fabry's disease: an analysis of registry data
University College London, London, UK
Lancet 374:1986-96. 2009
..We analysed 5-year treatment with agalsidase alfa enzyme replacement therapy in patients with Fabry's disease who were enrolled in the Fabry Outcome Survey observational database (FOS)...
- The assessment of renal function in relation to the use of drugs in elderly in nursing homes; a cohort study
Department of Clinical Sciences in Malmo, Center for Primary Health Care Research, Lund University, Sweden
BMC Geriatr 11:1. 2011
..The aim of the study was to explore renal function in elderly subjects in nursing homes and the use of pharmaceuticals that may be harmful to patients with renal impairment...
- Renal outcomes of agalsidase beta treatment for Fabry disease: role of proteinuria and timing of treatment initiation
David G Warnock
University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 27:1042-9. 2012
..The purpose of this study was to identify determinants of renal disease progression in adults with Fabry disease during treatment with agalsidase beta...
- Cystatin C-based equations in renal transplantation: moving toward a better glomerular filtration rate prediction?
Service de Nephrologie, Dialyse, Transplantation Renale, Laboratoires d Explorations Fonctionnelles Rénales, Saint Etienne, France
Transplantation 85:1855-8. 2008
..95, 95% CI 0.91-1) than for the MDRD equation (0.76, 95% CI 0.67-0.85). These data confirm that cystatin C as a GFR marker offers significant advantages over creatinine in renal transplantation...
- Protective effect of Zingiber officinale roscoe against anticancer drug doxorubicin-induced acute nephrotoxicity
T A Ajith
Department of Biochemistry, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences, Amala Nagar, Thrissur, Kerala 680 555, India
Food Chem Toxicol 46:3178-81. 2008
..001) in the Z. officinale (400mg/kg) plus DXN treated group. The nephroprotection is mediated by preventing the DXN-induced decline of renal antioxidant status, and also by increasing the activity of GST...
- Implication of CKD-EPI equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate in Chinese patients with chronic kidney disease
Department of Nephrology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, PR China
Ren Fail 33:859-65. 2011
..To evaluate the applicability of the Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) equation to estimate glomerular filtration rate (GFR) in Chinese patients of different stages of CKD...
- Evolution and predictive power of serum cystatin C in acute renal failure
Department of Surgery, Division of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Intensive Care Unit, Helsinki University Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Clin Nephrol 62:344-50. 2004
..Little is known about cystatin C in critical illness. We assessed serum cystatin C as a marker of renal function in acute renal failure (ARF) and its power in predicting survival of ARF patients...
- Acute kidney injury following coronary angiography is associated with a long-term decline in kidney function
Matthew T James
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Kidney Int 78:803-9. 2010
..8 ml/min following moderate to severe acute kidney injury. Thus, acute kidney injury following coronary angiography is associated with a sustained loss and a larger rate of future decline in kidney function...
- Improved GFR estimation by combined creatinine and cystatin C measurements
Y C Ma
Division of Nephrology and Institute of Nephrology, The First Hospital, Peking University, Xicheng District, Beijing, China
Kidney Int 72:1535-42. 2007
..The estimated GFR combining Pcr and cysC measurements more accurately matched the reference GFR at all stages of CKD than the other equations, particularly in patients with near-normal kidney function...
- Major contribution of tubular secretion to creatinine clearance in mice
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Kidney Int 77:519-26. 2010
..Hence we show that there is a major secretory contribution to creatinine excretion mediated through the organic anion transport system. This feature adds to problems associated with measuring endogenous creatinine filtration in mice...
- Netrin-1 regulates Th1/Th2/Th17 cytokine production and inflammation through UNC5B receptor and protects kidney against ischemia-reperfusion injury
Raghu Kempegowda Tadagavadi
Division of Nephrology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Immunol 185:3750-8. 2010
..Our studies demonstrate that netrin-1 acting through UNC5B receptor reduces renal ischemia-reperfusion injury and its associated renal inflammation...
- Netrin-1 and kidney injury. I. Netrin-1 protects against ischemia-reperfusion injury of the kidney
Division of Nephrology, H040, Pennsylvania State Univ College of Medicine, 500 Univ Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 294:F739-47. 2008
..These results suggest that downregulation of netrin-1 in vascular endothelial cells may promote endothelial cell activation and infiltration of leukocytes into the kidney thereby enhancing tubular injury...
- Prevalence and factors associated with renal dysfunction among HIV-infected patients
HIV Clinic, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, California 92134 1005, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 24:353-60. 2010
..Consideration for more frequent monitoring of kidney function among these select HIV patients may be warranted...
- Rapid microplate method for PAH estimation
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University and Richard L Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 283:F236-41. 2002
..The microplate method is a reliable alternative to a reference HPLC method and can be performed for a fraction of the cost, time, and reagents...
- How to estimate GFR-serum creatinine, serum cystatin C or equations?
Department of Nephrology, University of Duisburg Essen, Germany
Clin Biochem 40:153-61. 2007
..In principle, clinicians should be aware of the limitations of and cautioned not to overrate estimated GFR by single markers or calculated by equations and should not entirely rely on GFR estimates to make precise clinical decisions...
- Serum neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin (NGAL) in predicting worsening renal function in acute decompensated heart failure
Education Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Card Fail 16:49-54. 2010
..We sought to determine the relationship between admission serum NGAL levels and WRF in the setting of ADHF...
- The unrecognized prevalence of chronic kidney disease in diabetes
Rachel J Middleton
Department of Renal Medicine, Hope Hospital, Stott Lane, Salford M6 8HD, UK, and Chronic Disease Research Group and University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:88-92. 2006
..The aim of this study was to estimate the burden of CKD in patients with diabetes and examine the ability of serum creatinine and albuminuria to detect clinically meaningful CKD compared with estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR)...
- Projecting the number of patients with end-stage renal disease in the United States to the year 2015
David T Gilbertson
United States Renal Data System Coordinating Center University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55404, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:3736-41. 2005
..The financial and human resources that will be needed to care for these patients in 2015 will be considerably greater than in 2005...
- Commonly used surrogates for baseline renal function affect the classification and prognosis of acute kidney injury
Edward D Siew
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232, USA
Kidney Int 77:536-42. 2010
..Our study found that commonly used surrogates for baseline serum creatinine result in bi-directional misclassification of the incidence and prognosis of acute kidney injury in a hospital setting...
- Mechanisms of tubulointerstitial injury in the kidney: final common pathways to end-stage renal failure
Division of Nephrology and Endocrinology, University of Tokyo School of Medicine, Tokyo
Intern Med 43:9-17. 2004
..This induces chronic hypoxia in this compartment, rendering a vicious cycle. Development of novel therapeutic approaches against these final common pathways will enable us to target any types of renal disease...
- Costs and outcomes of acute kidney injury (AKI) following cardiac surgery
Joseph F Dasta
College of Pharmacy, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:1970-4. 2008
..We determined costs, resource use and mortality rate of patients. We used the serum creatinine component of the RIFLE system to classify AKI...
- Increased blood pressure but normal renal function in adult women born preterm
Institute of Woman s and Child s Health, Karolinska Institute, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital Q2 09, 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Pediatr Nephrol 15:215-20. 2000
..The objective of this study was to investigate the relationship between birth weight, blood pressure, and kidney function in adult subjects who were born preterm or born small for gestational age (SGA)...
- A portable fiberoptic ratiometric fluorescence analyzer provides rapid point-of-care determination of glomerular filtration rate in large animals
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indiana Center for Biological Microscopy, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Kidney Int 81:112-7. 2012
..Thus, our ratiometric technique allows for both measurement of plasma vascular volume and highly accurate real-time GFR determinations, enabling clinical decision making in real time...
- Accuracy of GFR predictive equations in renal transplantation: validation of a new turbidimetric cystatin C assay on Architect c8000
A S Bargnoux
Department of Biochemistry, University of Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
Clin Biochem 45:151-3. 2012
..To evaluate the Sentinel-PETIA cystatin C on Architect c8000 analyzer...
- Validation of the Chronic Kidney Disease Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) equation in advanced chronic renal failure
J L Teruel Briones
Nephrology Department, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Carretera de Colmenar Km 9, Madrid, Spain
Nefrologia 31:677-82. 2011
..The aim of this work was to study the accuracy of the CKD-EPI equation to estimate the glomerular filtrate in patients with advanced chronic renal failure...
- Kidney tubular abnormalities in the absence of impaired glomerular function in HIV patients treated with tenofovir
Infectious Diseases Department, Hospital Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
AIDS 23:689-96. 2009
..Kidney abnormalities are the main concern using the drug. As glomerular function is infrequently affected in patients treated with TDF, herein, we report the results of an extensive examination of tubular function...
- Transcutaneous measurement of glomerular filtration rate using FITC-sinistrin in rats
InnovationLab GmbH, Speyerer Str 4, D 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 24:2997-3001. 2009
..Here we describe and validate an approach for a transcutaneous determination of GFR by using fluorescein-isothiocyanate-labelled sinistrin (FITC-S) in rats...
- Assessment of renal function in recently admitted critically ill patients with normal serum creatinine
Eric A J Hoste
Intensive Care Unit, Ghent University Hospital, De Pintelaan 185, 9000 Gent, Belgium
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:747-53. 2005
- Serum levels of the adipokine chemerin in relation to renal function
Department of Internal Medicine III, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Diabetes Care 33:171-3. 2010
..To investigate serum levels of the adipokine chemerin in patients on chronic hemodialysis (CD) as compared with control patients with a glomerular filtration rate (GFR) >50 ml/min...
- Effect of warm ischemia on renal function during partial nephrectomy: assessment with new 99mTc-mercaptoacetyltriglycine scintigraphy parameter
Department of Urology, Nagoya University, Graduate School of Medicine, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Japan
Urology 79:160-4. 2012
..We quantified renal function using a new 99mTc-mercaptoacetyltriglycine (99mTc-MAG3) renal scintigraphy parameter...
- Subtherapeutic initial β-lactam concentrations in select critically ill patients: association between augmented renal clearance and low trough drug concentrations
Andrew A Udy
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University of Queensland, Herston, Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Chest 142:30-9. 2012
..Changes in renal function in this setting can significantly impact the probability of achieving such targets...
- Clinical features of non-diabetic renal diseases in patients with type 2 diabetes
Department of Medicine and Clinical Science, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 69:237-42. 2005
..Our study confirmed that the absence of retinopathy and short duration of diabetes are useful clinical indications for renal biopsy in diabetic patients with overt proteinuria...
- Relationship between red blood cell distribution width and kidney function tests in a large cohort of unselected outpatients
Dipartimento di Scienze Morfologico Biomediche, Sezione di Chimica Clinica, Universita degli Studi di Verona, Verona, Italy
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 68:745-8. 2008
..However, the mechanism(s) underlying this association remains unclear. Since impaired kidney function is a well-known risk factor for cardiovascular disease, we assessed whether RDW is associated with decreased kidney function...
- Reporting of estimated GFR in the primary care clinic
Department of Medicine, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 49:634-41. 2007
..Patients with early (stage 3) CKD remain undiagnosed in primary care clinics; therefore, we hypothesized that routine reporting of eGFR in outpatient clinics would improve the recognition and treatment of CKD...
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate: Cockcroft-Gault and Modification of Diet in Renal Disease formulas compared to renal inulin clearance
Hawaii Permanente Medical Group, 3288 Moanalua Road, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:899-906. 2009
..The Cockcroft-Gault (CG) and Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) formulas are the most commonly used estimations...
- Once-daily prolonged-release tacrolimus (ADVAGRAF) versus twice-daily tacrolimus (PROGRAF) in liver transplantation
Department of Hepatogastroenterology, IKEM, Prague, Czech Republic
Am J Transplant 10:2313-23. 2010
..3% for tacrolimus QD. Adverse event (AE) profiles were similar for both tacrolimus BID and QD with comparable incidences of AEs and serious AEs. Tacrolimus QD was well tolerated with similar efficacy and safety profiles to tacrolimus BID...
- Limited warm ischemia during elective partial nephrectomy has only a marginal impact on renal functional outcomes
Brian R Lane
Spectrum Health and Michigan State University, Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
J Urol 185:1598-603. 2011
..The renal functional implications of these approaches have not been well studied in patients who undergo elective partial nephrectomy...
- Prevalence and factors associated with renal impairment in HIV-infected patients, ANRS C03 Aquitaine Cohort, France
E K Déti
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U897, Bordeaux, F 33076, France
HIV Med 11:308-17. 2010
..The aims of the present study were to estimate the prevalence of renal impairment (RI) among HIV-infected adult patients and to investigate the associated factors...
- Metabolomic profiling of uremic solutes in CKD patients
Division of Nephrology, Endocrinology, and Vascular Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Hypertens Res 33:944-52. 2010
..These compounds provide diagnostic information and may be targets for therapies designed to treat the complications of CKD patients...
- Established and emerging markers of kidney function
Michael A Ferguson
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Chem 58:680-9. 2012
..Several novel biomarkers of kidney injury and function are under investigation...
- Soluble guanylate cyclase stimulation prevents fibrotic tissue remodeling and improves survival in salt-sensitive Dahl rats
Cardiology Research, Bayer HealthCare, Wuppertal, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e21853. 2011
..Little is known about their effects on tissue remodeling and degeneration and survival in experimental malignant hypertension...
- Early renal function post-liver transplantation is predictive of progressive chronic kidney disease
Department of Transplantation and Liver Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:344-9. 2008
- Cystatin C as a marker of glomerular filtration rate in voluntary kidney donors
Department of Nephrology and Renal Transplantation, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
Exp Clin Transplant 10:14-7. 2012
..This study sought to assess the usefulness of serum cystatin C as a marker of glomerular filtration rate in comparison with serum creatinine and serum creatinine-based glomerular filtration rate estimations in voluntary kidney donors...
- Development of cardiovascular disease due to renal insufficiency in male sheep following fetal unilateral nephrectomy
Reetu R Singh
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
J Hypertens 27:386-96. 2009
..Renal insufficiency is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease...
- Evaluating the performance of equations for estimating glomerular filtration rate
Lesley A Stevens
Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, 800 Washington Street, Box 391 Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Nephrol 21:797-807. 2008
- Modified diet in renal disease method overestimates renal function in selected elderly patients
Gregory William Roberts
Pharmacy Department, Repatriation General Hospital, Daw Park, SA 5041, Australia
Age Ageing 38:698-703. 2009
..We needed to assess which renal function estimate was most suited for drug dose estimation in our population...
- Prospective study of progression of kidney dysfunction in community-dwelling older adults
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Nephrology (Carlton) 13:99-103. 2008
..Few prospective studies have assessed renal dysfunction in older persons. We sought to define kidney dysfunction among a community-based cohort of elderly subjects and to determine the factors for its progression...
- A clinician's guide to monitoring kidney function in lithium-treated patients
James W Jefferson
Department of Psychiatry, Healthcare Technology Systems, Inc, 7617 Mineral Point Rd, Ste 300, Madison, WI 53717, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 71:1153-7. 2010
..This overview clarifies those practical aspects of monitoring that are often overlooked or misunderstood...
- Central pulse pressure and aortic stiffness determine renal hemodynamics: pathophysiological implication for microalbuminuria in hypertension
Department of Blood Pressure Research, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryo cho, Aoba ku, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
Hypertension 58:839-46. 2011
..In conclusion, increased aortic pulse pressure causes renal microvascular damage through altered renal hemodynamics resulting from increased peripheral resistance and/or increased flow pulsation...
- Comparison of methods for determination of glomerular filtration rate: low and high-dose Tc-99m-DTPA renography, predicted creatinine clearance method, and plasma sample method
Department of Oncology and Nuclear Medicine, The Persian Gulf Tropical Medicine Research Center, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences, Boostan 19 Alley, 7514763448, Imam Khomeini Street, Bushehr, Iran
Int Urol Nephrol 40:1059-65. 2008
..Because of the low cost and negligible radiation burden, this method might be preferred for routine practice in nuclear medicine...
- A comparison of estimates of glomerular filtration in critically ill patients with augmented renal clearance
João Pedro Baptista
Servico de Medicina Intensiva, Hospitais da Universidade de Coimbra, EPEPraceta Prof Mota Pinto, Av Bissaya Barreto 3000 075 Coimbra, Portugal
Crit Care 15:R139. 2011
..To date, these estimates have not been rigorously validated in those with augmented clearances, resulting in potentially inaccurate drug prescription...
- Glomerular involvement in adults with sickle cell hemoglobinopathies: Prevalence and clinical correlates of progressive renal failure
Renal Division, Emory University, Room 338, 1639 Pierce Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:2228-35. 2006
..In contrast to other glomerulopathies, the development of systemic hypertension is uncommon in SS disease with renal insufficiency...
- Effects of BG9719 (CVT-124), an A1-adenosine receptor antagonist, and furosemide on glomerular filtration rate and natriuresis in patients with congestive heart failure
S S Gottlieb
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore 21201, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 35:56-9. 2000
..To determine the effects of furosemide and the selective A1 adenosine receptor BG9719 on renal function in patients with congestive heart failure (CHF)...
- Systematic shifts in cystatin C between 2006 and 2010
David M Maahs
Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes, University of Colorado Denver, PO Box 6511, Mail Stop A140, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:1952-5. 2011
..Our objective was to compare cystatin C results within the Coronary Artery Calcification in Type 1 Diabetes (CACTI) study over time and in repeated measures to evaluate for assay drift...
- Gelatinase B (MMP-9) is not essential in the normal kidney and does not influence progression of renal disease in a mouse model of Alport syndrome
K L Andrews
Renal Division and the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Department of Internal Medicine, The Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Pathol 157:303-11. 2000
..Thus, gelB does not have a discernible role in the normal kidney and gelB is not involved in the progression of glomerulonephritis in a mouse model of Alport syndrome...
- Association of single measurements of dipstick proteinuria, estimated glomerular filtration rate, and hematocrit with 25-year incidence of end-stage renal disease in the multiple risk factor intervention trial
Division of Nephrology 111J, Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, One Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:1444-52. 2006
..73 m(2) were strong predictors of long-term development of ESRD. It remains unknown whether intervention for proteinuria or early identification of those with chronic kidney disease reduces the risk for ESRD...
- The evaluation of renal function and disease in patients with cirrhosis
Hepatology and Liver Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Beaujon, Clichy, France
J Hepatol 52:605-13. 2010
..In candidates for transplantation, attention should therefore be focused on vascular lesions which may represent a risk factor for nephrotoxicities induced by calcineurin-inhibitors...
- Renal resistance index and progression of renal disease
Department of Nephrology, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Hypertension 39:699-703. 2002
..A renal resistance index value of greater-than-or-equal to 80 reliably identifies patients at risk for progressive renal disease...
- Association between chronic kidney disease and coronary artery calcification: the Dallas Heart Study
Loyola Medical Center, Department of Preventive Medicine, 2160 First Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 16:507-13. 2005
..These findings need to be confirmed in study populations that include adults >65 yr of age and a larger number of CKD cases...
- Diabetic kidney disease in the db/db mouse
Dorrance Hamilton Research Laboratory, Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 284:F1138-44. 2003
..Furthermore, we discuss shortfalls of assessing functional renal disease in mouse models of diabetic kidney disease...
- Pitfalls of using estimations of glomerular filtration rate in an intensive care population
J H Martin
Department of Internal Medicine and Aged Care, Cancer Care Services, Royal Brisbane and Women s Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Intern Med J 41:537-43. 2011
..Accurate knowledge of the glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is imperative in the intensive care unit (ICU) as renal status is important for medical decisions, including drug dosing...
- Augmented renal clearance in the Intensive Care Unit: an illustrative case series
Andrew A Udy
Burns, Trauma and Critical Care Research Centre, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Int J Antimicrob Agents 35:606-8. 2010
..TDM, or at least a measured creatinine clearance, should be considered early in this setting to allow the optimisation of antibiotic exposure...
- Uric acid correlates with the severity of histopathological parameters in IgA nephropathy
Medical School, University of Tampere, FIN 33014, Finland
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:89-95. 2005
..Many clinical and histopathological risk factors for progression have been found previously. Recently, metabolic risk factors, such as hyperuricaemia and hypertriglyceridaemia, also have been associated with the progression of IgAN...
- Fluid status in CAPD patients is related to peritoneal transport and residual renal function: evidence from a longitudinal study
Constantijn J A M Konings
Department of Internal Medicine and Nephrology, Academical Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:797-803. 2003
..It has been suggested that part of this relationship might be explained by an effect of both parameters on the fluid state in CAPD patients or by the relationship between inflammation and peritoneal transport...
- Renal resistive index and renal function before and after paracentesis in patients with hepatorenal syndrome and tense ascites
II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
Intensive Care Med 35:152-6. 2009
..To assess the effect of reducing intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) by paracentesis on renal resistive index (RI), hemodynamics and renal function...
- Renal resistive index and long-term outcome in chronic nephropathies
Department of Nephrology, Tor Vergata University, Viale Oxford 81, 00133 Rome, Italy
Radiology 252:888-96. 2009
..To assess the clinical validity of renal resistive index (RI) to determine prognosis and guide therapy over a long-term follow-up in patients with chronic nephropathies and to verify the commonly used threshold value of 0.70...
- A comparison of the predictive performance of different methods of kidney function estimation in a well-characterized HIV-infected population
Division of Nephrology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B C, Canada
Nephron Clin Pract 111:c39-48. 2009
..Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) estimation equations have never been validated in the HIV population. This pilot study aimed to compare all currently available methods of kidney function assessment with nuclear GFR in HIV-infected adults...
- Accumulation of trimethylamine and trimethylamine-N-oxide in end-stage renal disease patients undergoing haemodialysis
Marcus A Bain
Centre for Pharmaceutical Research, University of South Australia, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:1300-4. 2006
..The clinical significance of TMA may be related to its potential to contribute to neurological toxicity and 'uraemic breath' in patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD)...
- Cystatin C, albuminuria, and mortality among older adults with diabetes
Ian H De Boer
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Diabetes Care 32:1833-8. 2009
..Joint associations of albuminuria and impaired GFR with mortality have not been comprehensively evaluated in this population...
- Long-term safety and efficacy of enzyme replacement therapy for Fabry disease
William R Wilcox
Cedars Sinai Burns and Allen Research Institute and UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Am J Hum Genet 75:65-74. 2004
..Thus, enzyme replacement therapy for 30-36 mo with agalsidase beta resulted in continuously decreased plasma GL-3 levels, sustained endothelial GL-3 clearance, stable kidney function, and a favorable safety profile...
- Evidence that kidney function but not type 2 diabetes determines retinol-binding protein 4 serum levels
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology of Nutrition, Institute of Nutritional Science, University of Potsdam, Potsdam, Germany
Diabetes 57:3323-6. 2008
..However, circulating RBP4 levels are also affected by kidney function. Therefore, the aim of this study was to test whether RBP4 serum levels are primarily associated with kidney function or type 2 diabetes...
- Renal function at the time of renal biopsy as a predictor of prognosis in patients with primary AL-type amyloidosis
Shinrakuen Hospital, 1 27 Nishi Ariake, Niigata 950 2087, Japan
Clin Exp Nephrol 8:127-33. 2004
- Renal function--estimation of glomerular filtration rate
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Krankenhaus Nordwest, Frankfurt, Germany
Clin Chem Lab Med 44:1295-302. 2006
..The cystatin C prediction equation with the use of a prepubertal factor seems superior to creatinine-based prediction equations in children of <14 years...
- Cystatin C as a filtration marker--haemodialysis patients expose its strengths and limitations
Per A Sjöström
Department of Medicine, Orebro University Hospital, Orebro, Sweden
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 69:65-72. 2009
..Haemodialysis patients with no residual renal function would be the best population in which to investigate these variables, which otherwise require reliable GFR measurements...
- Post liver transplantation acute kidney injury in a rat model of syngeneic orthotopic liver transplantation
Department of Nephrology, Ruijin Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, PR China
Lab Invest 91:1158-69. 2011
..Our results demonstrate that protection of the liver graft and inhibition of the systemic inflammatory response are vital in reducing the risk of post-LT AKI...
- Use of the galactose-based contrast agent SHU 508A (Levovist) in renal ultrasonography of the dog
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Via Tolara di Sopra, 50, 40064, Ozzano dell Emilia, BO, Italy
Vet Res Commun 29:305-7. 2005
- Is it necessary to stent renal artery stenosis patients before cardiopulmonary bypass procedures?
Department of Cardiology, Beijing Anzhen Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100029, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 124:1453-7. 2011
..The aim of this retrospective study was to investigate whether stent implantation before cardiopulmonary bypass has beneficial effect on development of AKI in renal artery stenosis (RAS) patients...
- Biomarkers of congenital obstructive nephropathy: past, present and future
Robert L Chevalier
Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Urol 172:852-7. 2004
..This review addresses the need to define biomarkers that serve as surrogate end points for measuring the severity of obstruction, the evolution of renal maldevelopment and injury, and the response to medical or surgical intervention...
- How to assess renal function in the geriatric population
IRCCS Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza Hospital, San Giovanni Rotondo, Foggia, Italy
J Nephrol 23:S46-54. 2010
- Enzyme replacement therapy in Fabry disease: a randomized controlled trial
Developmental and Metabolic Neurology Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Bldg 10, Room 3D03, National Institutes of Health, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892 1260, USA
JAMA 285:2743-9. 2001
..Most patients experience debilitating neuropathic pain and premature mortality because of renal failure, cardiovascular disease, or cerebrovascular disease...
- Renal resistance index is a marker of future renal dysfunction in patients with essential hypertension
Department of Integrated Medicine and Informatics, Ehime University Graduate School of Medicine, Toon City, Ehime Japan
J Nephrol 23:175-80. 2010
..Cystatin C is has been reported to be related to TOD in EHT. The aim of the present study was to clarify whether the RI predicts future renal function assessed by cystatin C levels in EHT...
- Influence of thyroid function on different kidney function tests
Division of General Internal Medicine and Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Robert Bosch Hospital, Stuttgart, Germany
Kidney Blood Press Res 35:9-17. 2012
The commonly used kidney function tests have limitations, especially in thyroid dysfunction. Therefore, we studied the most commonly used kidney function tests in patients with hypo- and hyperthyroidism and after reaching euthyroidism.