Genomes and Genes
Summary: Organized periodic procedures performed on large groups of people for the purpose of detecting disease.
Publications377 found, 100 shown here
- Effect of screening and adjuvant therapy on mortality from breast cancerDonald A Berry
Department of Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1784-92. 2005..We used modeling techniques to assess the relative and absolute contributions of screening mammography and adjuvant treatment to the reduction in breast-cancer mortality in the United States from 1975 to 2000...
- Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of RadiologyBernard Levin
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Gastroenterology 134:1570-95. 2008..It is the strong opinion of these 3 organizations that colon cancer prevention should be the primary goal of screening...
- The Patient Health Questionnaire-2: validity of a two-item depression screenerKurt Kroenke
Regenstrief Institute for Health Care and Department of Medicine, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Med Care 41:1284-92. 2003..Because even briefer measures might be desirable for use in busy clinical settings or as part of comprehensive health questionnaires, we evaluated a 2-item version of the PHQ depression module, the PHQ-2...
- Cancer screening in the United States, 2010: a review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and issues in cancer screeningRobert A Smith
Cancer Control Science Department, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 60:99-119. 2010....
- Against which human papillomavirus types shall we vaccinate and screen? The international perspectiveNubia Munoz
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Int J Cancer 111:278-85. 2004..The impact of modifying the number of types in the screening cocktail tests would be small and probably irrelevant for screening programs...
- Screening for serious mental illness in the general populationRonald C Kessler
Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, 180 Longwood Ave, Suite 215, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:184-9. 2003..Public Law 102-321 established a block grant for adults with "serious mental illness" (SMI) and required the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to develop a method to estimate the prevalence of SMI...
- Effectiveness of yearly, register based screening for chlamydia in the Netherlands: controlled trial with randomised stepped wedge implementationIngrid V F van den Broek
Unit of Epidemiology and Surveillance, RIVM Centre for Infectious Disease Control Netherlands, PO Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, Netherlands
BMJ 345:e4316. 2012..To evaluate the effectiveness of register based, yearly chlamydia screening...
- Effectiveness of cervical screening with age: population based case-control study of prospectively recorded dataPeter Sasieni
Cancer Research UK Centre for Epidemiology, Mathematics and Statistics, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Bart s and the London School of Medicine, Queen Mary University of London, London EC1M 6BQ
BMJ 339:b2968. 2009..To study the effect of cervical screening on incidence of cervical cancer as a function of age with particular focus on women screened under the age of 25...
- Overview of the European and North American studies on HPV testing in primary cervical cancer screeningJack Cuzick
Cancer Research UK, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, London
Int J Cancer 119:1095-101. 2006..These results support the use of HPV testing as the sole primary screening test, with cytology reserved for women who test HPV positive. Large demonstration projects are needed to fully evaluate this strategy...
- Human papillomavirus testing for the detection of high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and cancer: final results of the POBASCAM randomised controlled trialDorien C Rijkaart
Department of Pathology, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Lancet Oncol 13:78-88. 2012..The aim of this study was to assess whether HPV DNA testing in the first screen decreases detection of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) grade 3 or worse, CIN grade 2 or worse, and cervical cancer in the second screening...
- Development of a standardized screening rule for tuberculosis in people living with HIV in resource-constrained settings: individual participant data meta-analysis of observational studiesHaileyesus Getahun
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Med 8:e1000391. 2011..We conducted an individual participant data meta-analysis of primary studies, aiming to identify a sensitive TB screening rule...
- Risk-based selection from the general population in a screening trial: selection criteria, recruitment and power for the Dutch-Belgian randomised lung cancer multi-slice CT screening trial (NELSON)Carola A Van Iersel
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Cancer 120:868-74. 2007..When pooling with Danish trial data (n = +/-4,000) NELSON is the only trial without screening in controls that is expected to have 80% power to show a lung cancer mortality reduction of at least 25% 10 years after randomisation...
- HPV screening for cervical cancer in rural IndiaRengaswamy Sankaranarayanan
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
N Engl J Med 360:1385-94. 2009....
- Epidemiology and prevention of human papillomavirus and cervical cancer in sub-Saharan Africa: a comprehensive reviewKarly S Louie
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Trop Med Int Health 14:1287-302. 2009..To identify the gaps of knowledge and highlight the challenges and opportunities for controlling cervical cancer in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)...
- Screening for breast cancer: an update for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceHeidi D Nelson
Oregon Health and Science University, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Ann Intern Med 151:727-37, W237-42. 2009..This systematic review is an update of evidence since the 2002 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation on breast cancer screening...
- Expanding access to voluntary HIV counselling and testing in sub-Saharan Africa: alternative approaches for improving uptake, 2001-2007Joseph K B Matovu
Rakai Health Sciences Program Uganda Virus Research Institute, Entebbe, Uganda
Trop Med Int Health 12:1315-22. 2007..We recommend that these alternative models be implemented in more settings and on a much larger scale in sub-Saharan Africa, where VCT uptake rates remain low...
- Examining the promise of HIV elimination by 'test and treat' in hyperendemic settingsPeter J Dodd
Imperial College London, London, UK
AIDS 24:729-35. 2010....
- Prostate cancer screening in the randomized Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial: mortality results after 13 years of follow-upGerald L Andriole
Division of Urologic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 104:125-32. 2012..Mortality after 7-10 years of follow-up has been reported previously. We report extended follow-up to 13 years after the trial...
- Efficacy of human papillomavirus testing for the detection of invasive cervical cancers and cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: a randomised controlled trialGuglielmo Ronco
Centre for Cancer Prevention, Turin, Italy
Lancet Oncol 11:249-57. 2010..We assessed the efficacy of cervical-cancer screening policies that are based on HPV testing...
- Depression screening and patient outcomes in cardiovascular care: a systematic reviewBrett D Thombs
Department of Psychiatry, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
JAMA 300:2161-71. 2008..Several practice guidelines recommend that depression be evaluated and treated in patients with cardiovascular disease, but the potential benefits of this are unclear...
- Screening for colorectal cancer: randomised trial comparing guaiac-based and immunochemical faecal occult blood testing and flexible sigmoidoscopyL Hol
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre Rotterdam, s Gravendijkwal 230, 3015 CE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gut 59:62-8. 2010..We conducted a randomised trial comparing participation and detection rates (DR) per screenee of guaiac-based faecal occult blood test (gFOBT), immunochemical FOBT (FIT), and flexible sigmoidoscopy (FS) for CRC screening...
- Cochrane systematic review of colorectal cancer screening using the fecal occult blood test (hemoccult): an updatePaul Hewitson
Department of Primary Health Care, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1541-9. 2008....
- Incidence of diabetic retinopathy in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus attending the Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Service for Wales: retrospective analysisR L Thomas
Diabetes Research Unit, Centre for Endocrine and Diabetes Sciences, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff CF14 4XW, UK
BMJ 344:e874. 2012..To determine the incidence of any and referable diabetic retinopathy in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus attending an annual screening service for retinopathy and whose first screening episode indicated no evidence of retinopathy...
- Depression and coronary heart disease: recommendations for screening, referral, and treatment: a science advisory from the American Heart Association Prevention Committee of the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, Council on Clinical Cardiology, Council onJudith H Lichtman
Circulation 118:1768-75. 2008..This multispecialty consensus document reviews the evidence linking depression with CHD and provides recommendations for healthcare providers for the assessment, referral, and treatment of depression...
- American Cancer Society, American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology, and American Society for Clinical Pathology screening guidelines for the prevention and early detection of cervical cancerDebbie Saslow
Cancer Control Science Department, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 62:147-72. 2012....
- Screening and prostate-cancer mortality in a randomized European studyFritz H Schroder
Department of Urology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 360:1320-8. 2009..The European Randomized Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer was initiated in the early 1990s to evaluate the effect of screening with prostate-specific-antigen (PSA) testing on death rates from prostate cancer...
- Human papillomavirus and Papanicolaou tests to screen for cervical cancerPontus Naucler
Department of Medical Microbiology, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Malmo, Sweden
N Engl J Med 357:1589-97. 2007....
- Screening for HIV-associated tuberculosis and rifampicin resistance before antiretroviral therapy using the Xpert MTB/RIF assay: a prospective studyStephen D Lawn
The Desmond Tutu HIV Centre, Institute for Infectious Disease and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
PLoS Med 8:e1001067. 2011..However, its utility for routine TB screening and detection of rifampicin resistance among HIV-infected patients with advanced immunodeficiency enrolling in antiretroviral therapy (ART) services is unknown...
- Screening and case-finding instruments for depression: a meta-analysisSimon Gilbody
Department of Health Sciences and Hull York Medical School, University of York, United Kingdom
CMAJ 178:997-1003. 2008..We sought to establish the effectiveness of screening in improving the recognition of depression, the management of depression and the outcomes of patients with depression...
- ESPEN guidelines for nutrition screening 2002J Kondrup
Rigshospitalet University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Clin Nutr 22:415-21. 2003..In order to reach this goal the Education and Clinical Practice Committee invites and welcomes all criticism and suggestions (button for mail to ECPC chairman)...
- The prevalence of celiac disease in Europe: results of a centralized, international mass screening projectKirsi Mustalahti
Paediatric Research Centre, University of Tampere and Department of Paediatrics, Tampere University Hospital, Tampere, Finland
Ann Med 42:587-95. 2010....
- Overview of human papillomavirus-based and other novel options for cervical cancer screening in developed and developing countriesJack Cuzick
Cancer Research UK Centre for Epidemiology, Mathematics and Statistics, Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, London, United Kingdom
Vaccine 26:K29-41. 2008..These psychosocial aspects and the need for more information and educational programmes about HPV are also discussed in this article...
- Overdiagnosis in cancerH Gilbert Welch
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:605-13. 2010..Equally important, researchers need to work to develop better estimates of the magnitude of overdiagnosis and develop clinical strategies to help minimize it...
- Prevalence of Chlamydia trachomatis: results from the first national population-based survey in FranceV Goulet
Institut de Veille Sanitaire, 12 Rue du Val d Osne, Saint Maurice 94410, France
Sex Transm Infect 86:263-70. 2010..Few studies have estimated Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) prevalence in the general population, most prevalence studies being based on people already attending healthcare settings...
- Asia Pacific consensus recommendations for colorectal cancer screeningJ J Y Sung
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, NT, Hong Kong
Gut 57:1166-76. 2008..There is no consensus on whether nurses should be trained to perform endoscopic procedures for screening of colorectal neoplasia...
- Mortality results from a randomized prostate-cancer screening trialGerald L Andriole
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, USA
N Engl J Med 360:1310-9. 2009..This is the first report from the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening Trial on prostate-cancer mortality...
- Effect of early intensive multifactorial therapy on 5-year cardiovascular outcomes in individuals with type 2 diabetes detected by screening (ADDITION-Europe): a cluster-randomised trialSimon J Griffin
MRC Epidemiology Unit, Institute of Metabolic Science, Cambridge, UK
Lancet 378:156-67. 2011..Intensive treatment of multiple cardiovascular risk factors can halve mortality among people with established type 2 diabetes. We investigated the effect of early multifactorial treatment after diagnosis by screening...
- Behavioral counseling interventions in primary care to reduce risky/harmful alcohol use by adults: a summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceEvelyn P Whitlock
Oregon Evidence Based Practice Center, Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, and Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97227 1110, USA
Ann Intern Med 140:557-68. 2004..Primary health care visits offer opportunities to identify and intervene with risky or harmful drinkers to reduce alcohol consumption...
- Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of RadiologyBernard Levin
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 58:130-60. 2008..It is the strong opinion of these 3 organizations that colon cancer prevention should be the primary goal of screening...
- Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: Canadian guidelines for diagnosisAlbert E Chudley
Children s Hospital, Health Sciences Centre, Department of Pediatrics and Child Health, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Man
CMAJ 172:S1-S21. 2005..These are the first Canadian guidelines for the diagnosis of FAS and its related disabilities, developed by broad-based consultation among experts in diagnosis...
- Overdiagnosis in screening mammography in Denmark: population based cohort studySisse Helle Njor
Department of Public Health, University of Copenhagen, Østre Farimagsgade 5, DK 1014 Copenhagen K, Denmark
BMJ 346:f1064. 2013..To use data from two longstanding, population based screening programmes to study overdiagnosis in screening mammography...
- Approaches to tuberculosis screening and diagnosis in people with HIV in resource-limited settingsMichael J A Reid
Department of Social Medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Lancet Infect Dis 9:173-84. 2009..However, until simpler, cheaper, and more sensitive diagnostics for tuberculosis are available in peripheral healthcare settings, a strategy must be developed that uses current evidence to combine available screening tools...
- AUDIT-C as a brief screen for alcohol misuse in primary careKatharine A Bradley
Health Services Research and Development, VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:1208-17. 2007..However, the AUDIT-C's validity and optimal screening threshold(s) in other clinical populations are unknown...
- Screening for dementia in primary care: a summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceMalaz Boustani
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:927-37. 2003..Dementia is a large and growing problem but is often not diagnosed in its earlier stages. Screening and earlier treatment could reduce the burden of suffering of this syndrome...
- Economic evaluation of human papillomavirus vaccination in the United KingdomMark Jit
Modelling and Economics Unit, Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London NW9 6BT
BMJ 337:a769. 2008..To assess the cost effectiveness of routine vaccination of 12 year old schoolgirls against human papillomavirus infection in the United Kingdom...
- Universal voluntary HIV testing with immediate antiretroviral therapy as a strategy for elimination of HIV transmission: a mathematical modelReuben M Granich
Department of HIV AIDS, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 373:48-57. 2009..We investigated a theoretical strategy of universal voluntary HIV testing and immediate treatment with ART, and examined the conditions under which the HIV epidemic could be driven towards elimination...
- Breast density as a predictor of mammographic detection: comparison of interval- and screen-detected cancersM T Mandelson
Center for Health Studies, Group Health Cooperative, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 92:1081-7. 2000..Cancers diagnosed after a negative mammogram are known as interval cancers. This study investigated whether mammographic breast density is related to the risk of interval cancer...
- American Cancer Society guideline for the early detection of prostate cancer: update 2010Andrew M D Wolf
University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 60:70-98. 2010..Patient decision aids are helpful in preparing men to make a decision whether to be tested...
- Community screening and treatment of asymptomatic carriers of Plasmodium falciparum with artemether-lumefantrine to reduce malaria disease burden: a modelling and simulation analysisSteven E Kern
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Malar J 10:210. 2011..Identification and treatment of asymptomatic carriers within a region may reduce the parasite reservoir and influence malaria transmission in that area...
- Longitudinal measurement of clinical mammographic breast density to improve estimation of breast cancer riskKarla Kerlikowske
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Department of Veterans Affairs, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:386-95. 2007..Whether a change over time in clinically measured mammographic breast density influences breast cancer risk is unknown...
- The effect of fecal occult-blood screening on the incidence of colorectal cancerJ S Mandel
Exponent, Menlo Park, Calif 94025, USA
N Engl J Med 343:1603-7. 2000..However, the effect of screening on the incidence of colorectal cancer remains uncertain, despite the diagnosis and removal of precancerous lesions in many persons who undergo screening...
- Cost-effectiveness of screening for HIV in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapyGillian D Sanders
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University, Durham, NC 27715, USA
N Engl J Med 352:570-85. 2005..The costs, benefits, and cost-effectiveness of screening for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in health care settings during the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) have not been determined...
- Opt-out HIV testing during antenatal care: experiences of pregnant women in rural UgandaElin C Larsson
Division of Global Health IHCAR, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Nobelsv 9, 171 77, Stockholm, Sweden
Health Policy Plan 27:69-75. 2012..Moreover, to achieve the desired outcomes of the PMTCT programme, monitoring and evaluation should be built into the programme...
- Incentivized recruitment of a population sample to a mobile HIV testing service increases the yield of newly diagnosed cases, including those in need of antiretroviral therapyK Kranzer
Department of Clinical Research, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
HIV Med 13:132-7. 2012....
- Missed opportunities for HIV testing and late-stage diagnosis among HIV-infected patients in UgandaRhoda K Wanyenze
Department of Disease Control and Environmental Health, Makerere University School of Public Health, Kampala, Uganda
PLoS ONE 6:e21794. 2011..We provided HIV testing to patients at Mulago hospital in Uganda, and performed CD4 tests to assess disease stage at diagnosis...
- Integrating HIV screening into routine health care in resource-limited settingsIngrid V Bassett
Division of Infectious Disease, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Clin Infect Dis 50:S77-84. 2010..We review the benefits of knowledge of HIV serostatus and evidence from multiple countries surrounding the successes and pitfalls of provider-initiated testing in health care and home-based settings...
- Early Lung Cancer Action Project: overall design and findings from baseline screeningC I Henschke
Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York Presbyterian Hospital, NY 10021, USA
Lancet 354:99-105. 1999..The Early Lung Cancer Action Project (ELCAP) is designed to evaluate baseline and annual repeat screening by low-radiation-dose computed tomography (low-dose CT) in people at high risk of lung cancer. We report the baseline experience...
- Entry screening to delay local transmission of 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1)Benjamin J Cowling
School of Public Health, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, People s Republic of China
BMC Infect Dis 10:82. 2010..After the WHO issued the global alert for 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1), many national health agencies began to screen travelers on entry in airports, ports and border crossings to try to delay local transmission...
- Age-specific evaluation of primary human papillomavirus screening vs conventional cytology in a randomized settingMaarit Leinonen
Mass Screening Registry, Finnish Cancer Registry, Pieni Roobertinkatu 9, FI 00130 Helsinki, Finland
J Natl Cancer Inst 101:1612-23. 2009..We compared the age-specific performance of primary HPV DNA screening with that of conventional cytology screening in the setting of an organized population-based cervical cancer screening program in Finland...
- Transmission dynamics of Chlamydia trachomatis affect the impact of screening programmesChristian L Althaus
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Epidemics 2:123-31. 2010..However, due to the slower turnover of the infection, a substantial reduction in prevalence can only be achieved after screening for several years or decades...
- Randomized controlled trial of proactive web-based alcohol screening and brief intervention for university studentsKypros Kypri
School of Medicine and Public Health, David Maddison Clinical Sciences Bldg, University of Newcastle, Callaghan, New South Wales 2308, Australia
Arch Intern Med 169:1508-14. 2009..We tested the efficacy of a proactive Web-based alcohol screening and brief intervention program...
- Routine opt-out rapid HIV screening and detection of HIV infection in emergency department patientsJason S Haukoos
Department of Emergency Medicine, Denver Health Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
JAMA 304:284-92. 2010..1% or greater. The utility of this approach in EDs remains unknown...
- Screening for depression in adults: a summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceMichael P Pignone
University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, USA
Ann Intern Med 136:765-76. 2002..To clarify whether screening adults for depression in primary care settings improves recognition, treatment, and clinical outcomes...
- Self-collection of vaginal specimens for human papillomavirus testing in cervical cancer prevention (MARCH): a community-based randomised controlled trialEduardo Lazcano-Ponce
Centro de Investigacion en Salud Poblacional, Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica, Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
Lancet 378:1868-73. 2011..We aimed to establish the relative sensitivity and positive predictive value for HPV screening of vaginal samples self-collected at home as compared with clinic-based cervical cytology...
- A decision aid to support informed choices about bowel cancer screening among adults with low education: randomised controlled trialSian K Smith
Screening and Test Evaluation Program, Centre for Medical Psychology and Evidence Based Decision Making, Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
BMJ 341:c5370. 2010..To determine whether a decision aid designed for adults with low education and literacy can support informed choice and involvement in decisions about screening for bowel cancer...
- Screening for depression in primary care with two verbally asked questions: cross sectional studyBruce Arroll
Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, University of Auckland, PB 92019, Auckland, New Zealand
BMJ 327:1144-6. 2003..To determine the diagnostic accuracy of two verbally asked questions for screening for depression...
- Modest public health impact of nontargeted human immunodeficiency virus screening in 29 emergency departmentsKayigan Wilson d'Almeida
Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale Inserm U1018, Centre de Recherche en Epidémiologie et Santé des Populations, Villejuif, France
Arch Intern Med 172:12-20. 2012..We assessed the public health impact of nontargeted HIV-rapid test (RT) screening among ED patients in the metropolitan area of Paris (11.7 million inhabitants), where half of France's new HIV cases are diagnosed annually...
- Screening for depression in medical settings with the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ): a diagnostic meta-analysisSimon Gilbody
Department of Health Sciences, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, UK
J Gen Intern Med 22:1596-602. 2007..To summarize the psychometric properties of the PHQ2 and PHQ9 as screening instruments for depression...
- Colorectal cancer screening and surveillance: clinical guidelines and rationale-Update based on new evidenceSidney Winawer
Gastroenterology 124:544-60. 2003..Improvement depends on changes in patients' attitudes, physicians' behaviors, insurance coverage, and the surveillance and reminder systems necessary to support screening programs...
- Comparing participation rates between immunochemical and guaiac faecal occult blood tests: a systematic review and meta-analysisGemma Vart
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, WC1E 6BT, UK
Prev Med 55:87-92. 2012..The aim of this study was to review studies comparing guaiac faecal occult blood tests and faecal immunochemical tests, in terms of participation rates...
- Screening for prostate cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsMia Djulbegovic
Department of Urology and Prostate Disease Center, University of Florida, College of Medicine, PO Box 100247, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0247, USA
BMJ 341:c4543. 2010..To examine the evidence on the benefits and harms of screening for prostate cancer...
- Intensive tuberculosis screening for HIV-infected patients starting antiretroviral therapy in Durban, South AfricaIngrid V Bassett
Division of Infectious Disease, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:823-9. 2010..Our objective was to assess the yield and cost of a more intensive tuberculosis screening in HIV-infected patients starting antiretroviral therapy (ART) in Durban, South Africa...
- Comparison of breast and bowel cancer screening uptake patterns in a common cohort of South Asian women in EnglandCharlotte L Price
Warwick Medical School, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
BMC Health Serv Res 10:103. 2010..This paper compares breast and bowel cancer screening uptake for a cohort of South Asian women invited to undertake both, and similarly investigates these women's breast cancer screening behaviour over a period of fifteen years...
- A new HPV-DNA test for cervical-cancer screening in developing regions: a cross-sectional study of clinical accuracy in rural ChinaYou Lin Qiao
Cancer Institute, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Lancet Oncol 9:929-36. 2008..5 h, to screen women in developing regions for cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN). We did a cross-sectional study to assess the clinical accuracy of careHPV as a rapid screening test in two county hospitals in rural China...
- Overdiagnosis due to prostate-specific antigen screening: lessons from U.S. prostate cancer incidence trendsRuth Etzioni
Program in Biostatistics, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:981-90. 2002..Overdiagnosis was defined as the detection of prostate cancer through PSA testing that otherwise would not have been diagnosed within the patient's lifetime...
- Modelling the effectiveness of chlamydia screening in EnglandK M E Turner
Health Protection Agency, Centre for Infections, 61 Colindale Ave, Colindale, London NW9 5EQ, UK
Sex Transm Infect 82:496-502. 2006..Mathematical models can incorporate these non-linear effects and estimate the likely impact of different screening programmes and identify areas where more data are needed...
- Revised recommendations for HIV testing of adults, adolescents, and pregnant women in health-care settingsBernard M Branson
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention proposed, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
MMWR Recomm Rep 55:1-17; quiz CE1-4. 2006..Repeat screening in the third trimester is recommended in certain jurisdictions with elevated rates of HIV infection among pregnant women...
- Contextual analysis of breast and cervical cancer screening and factors associated with health care access among United States women, 2002Steven S Coughlin
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:260-75. 2008..A significant interaction was also observed between the percentage of county female population who were Hispanic and the percentage who were non-Hispanic Black...
- Randomized controlled trial of screening for hepatocellular carcinomaBo Heng Zhang
Liver Cancer Institute of Fudan University, Zhongshan Hospital, 180 Feng Lin Road, Shanghai 200032, China
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 130:417-22. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of screening on HCC mortality in people at increased risk...
- Opt-out provider-initiated HIV testing and counselling in primary care outpatient clinics in ZambiaStephanie M Topp
Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia
Bull World Health Organ 89:328-335A. 2011....
- Routine HIV screening in the emergency department using the new US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guidelines: results from a high-prevalence areaJeremy Brown
Department of Emergency Medicine, The George Washington University Medical Center, Medical Faculty Associates, 2150 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20037, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 46:395-401. 2007..We established a screening program implementing these recommendations at an urban university hospital ED in Washington, DC. We report the results of this program...
- Screening for and early detection of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJoan B Soriano
CIMERA International Center for Advanced Respiratory Medicine, Recinte Hospital Joan March, Bunyola, Spain
Lancet 374:721-32. 2009..All in all, spirometry is recognised as the essential test for diagnosis and monitoring of COPD...
- Long-term prediction of prostate cancer up to 25 years before diagnosis of prostate cancer using prostate kallikreins measured at age 44 to 50 yearsHans Lilja
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Lund University, University Hospital UMAS, Malmo, Sweden
J Clin Oncol 25:431-6. 2007..We examined whether prostate-specific antigen (PSA) forms and human kallikrein 2 (hK2) measured at age 44 to 50 years predict long-term risk of incident prostate cancer...
- Mortality results from the Göteborg randomised population-based prostate-cancer screening trialJonas Hugosson
Department of Urology, Institute of Clinical Sciences, Sahlgrenska Academy at University of Göteborg, Sweden
Lancet Oncol 11:725-32. 2010..One strategy to decrease the risk of death from this disease is screening with prostate-specific antigen (PSA); however, the extent of benefit and harm with such screening is under continuous debate...
- Long term predictive values of cytology and human papillomavirus testing in cervical cancer screening: joint European cohort studyJoakim Dillner
Lund University, Medical Microbiology, University Hospital MAS, 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
BMJ 337:a1754. 2008..To obtain large scale and generalisable data on the long term predictive value of cytology and human papillomavirus (HPV) testing for development of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 3 or cancer (CIN3+)...
- Inequalities in participation in an organized national colorectal cancer screening programme: results from the first 2.6 million invitations in EnglandChristian von Wagner
Health Behaviour Research Centre, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London, Greater London, UK
Int J Epidemiol 40:712-8. 2011..Design Cross-sectional analysis of colorectal cancer screening uptake data...
- Screening for colorectal cancer: a targeted, updated systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceEvelyn P Whitlock
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, Oregon, USA
Ann Intern Med 149:638-58. 2008....
- Development and evaluation of a new chest radiograph reading and recording system for epidemiological surveys of tuberculosis and lung diseaseS den Boon
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, Desmond Tutu TB Centre, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town, South Africa
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 9:1088-96. 2005..The development and evaluation of a new chest radiograph reading and recording system (CRRS) for community surveys of tuberculosis (TB) and lung disease...
- Routine HIV testing in Botswana: a population-based study on attitudes, practices, and human rights concernsSheri D Weiser
Physicians for Human Rights, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS Med 3:e261. 2006..The Botswana government recently implemented a policy of routine or "opt-out" HIV testing in response to the high prevalence of HIV infection, estimated at 37% of adults...
- Sociodemographic gradients in breast and cervical cancer screening in Korea: the Korean National Cancer Screening Survey (KNCSS) 2005-2009Mi Jin Park
National Cancer Control Institute, National Cancer Center, 111 Jungbalsan ro, Ilsandong gu, Goyang si, Gyeonggi do 410 769, Korea
BMC Cancer 11:257. 2011..1%) and the third highest was cervical cancer (76.1%). Despite overall increases in the screening rate, disparities in breast and cervical cancer screening, based on sociodemographic characteristics, still exist...
- Examining the role of perceived susceptibility on colorectal cancer screening intention and behaviorAmy McQueen
Division of Health Behavior Research, Washington University, School of Medicine, Campus Box 8504, 4444 Forest Park Ave, St Louis, MO, 63108, USA
Ann Behav Med 40:205-17. 2010..The role of perceived susceptibility was not limited to direct effects but involved mediating and moderating pathways of influence...
- HPV testing in combination with liquid-based cytology in primary cervical screening (ARTISTIC): a randomised controlled trialHenry C Kitchener
School of Cancer and Imaging Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Lancet Oncol 10:672-82. 2009....
- Acceptability of the internet-based Chlamydia screening implementation in the Netherlands and insights into nonresponseKatie E Greenland
Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, Centre for Infectious Disease Control, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Sex Transm Dis 38:467-74. 2011....
- Mass screening for prostate cancer in Korea: a population based studyCheryn Song
Department of Urology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Republic of Korea
J Urol 180:1949-52; discussion 1952-3. 2008We investigated the detection rate of prostate cancer in Korean men through a population based mass screening test.
- Evaluation of the Drug Use Disorders Identification Test (DUDIT) in criminal justice and detoxification settings and in a Swedish population sampleAnne H Berman
Center for Health Equity Studies, Stockholm University Karolinska Institutet, Department of Psychology, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
Eur Addict Res 11:22-31. 2005..1% scored positive on the DUDIT; T-score values are suggested. The DUDIT screens effectively for drug-related problems in clinically selected groups and may prove useful in the context of public health surveys...
- The advanced adenoma as the primary target of screeningSidney J Winawer
Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 12:1-9, v. 2002....
- Tuberculosis among foreign-born persons in the United StatesKevin P Cain
Division of Tuberculosis Elimination, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, MS E 10, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 300:405-12. 2008..Foreign-born persons accounted for 57% of all tuberculosis (TB) cases in the United States in 2006. Current TB control strategies have not sufficiently addressed the high levels of TB disease and latent TB infection in this population...
- Rationale, design, and results of the first screening round of a comprehensive, register-based, Chlamydia screening implementation programme in the NetherlandsJan E A M van Bergen
STI AIDS Netherlands, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
BMC Infect Dis 10:293. 2010..Here, we describe the rationale, design, and implementation of a Chlamydia screening demonstration programme...
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- STATISITICAL DESIGN, MONITORING &COORD. OF VISION CLINICAL TRIALS &EPIDEMIOLOGYKeri Hammel; Fiscal Year: 2012..Also, there will be a measurement of pressure in the eye and thickness of the cornea. To study patients'DNA, the researchers will obtain a bloo..
- Discovery metabolite profiling of the prolyl peptidasesAlan Saghatelian; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, the application of DMP to peptidases will demonstrate the generality of this approach for the future characterization of medically relevant enzymes and signaling pathways. ..
- Variation in M. tuberculosis in response to host selectionSarah Fortune; Fiscal Year: 2009..In these studies, we expect to provide fundamental insights into the mechanisms and targets of diversifying immune selection in M. tuberculosis. ..
- Personalized Clinical Diagnostics and Beyond: Integrated Ring Resonator ArraysRyan Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2009..This technology promises to broadly impact the landscape of the biomedical sciences, both meeting the clinical diagnostic challenges of today and pioneering the paradigm-shifting discoveries of tomorrow. ..
- NIH Director's Pioneer AwardERICH JARVIS; Fiscal Year: 2009..Repairing the pathway in vocal learners, when damaged, would have profound impact for correcting neurological disorders of speech. ..
- Prevention of Complications in ThalassemiaElliott P Vichinsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..Ourmissionalsoincludesmonitorinbgloodsafety amongtransfusion-dependtehnatlassemipaatientsa,ndprovidingoutreachand educationservicestoallat-riskpopulationtshroughoutht estate. ..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..The Panel recommended that studies should be conducted to further characterize the in vitro test methods and that testing strategies should be designed in coordination with ICCVAM. ..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2011..The Panel recommended that studies should be conducted to further characterize the in vitro test methods and that testing strategies should be designed in coordination with ICCVAM. ..
- CFI Pathogen Inactivation TechnologyTrevor P Castor; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition to human plasma and human plasma proteins such as fibrinogen, the developed technology will also be applicable to recombinant therapeutics, monoclonal antibodies, transgenics and vaccines. ..
- Vaccine Development for Falciparum Malaria in Pregnant Women and Their OffspringIan C Michelow; Fiscal Year: 2013..Candidate vaccine proteins will be screened, confirmed and selected for clinical trials using pioneering molecular tools and blood samples from pregnant African women and their infants. ..
- Cardiovascular Responses to Sleep Apnea in Tetraplegia: A Pilot StudyJill M Wecht; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Identification of Genetic and Epigenetic Alterations in SpondyloarthritisTibor T Glant; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Brain Activation responses in adolescents with genetic predisposition to obesitySusan Carnell; Fiscal Year: 2011..The results may lead to new drugs and interventions to improve eating behavior, and help establish unbiased indicators of obesity risk and prognosis for use in research and clinical settings. ..
- Autonomic, Endothelial, and Inflammatory Correlates of Sleep DurationMERCEDES RENEE CARNETHON; Fiscal Year: 2012..Findings from this study will suggest mechanisms to explain the prior observed associations between sleep duration and CVD risk factors. ..
- Enhanced iron removal with peptide linked chelators targeted to ferritinElizabeth C Theil; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Infant Screening and Diagnosis of Duchenne Muscular Dys*Paul Fernhoff; Fiscal Year: 2007..These data points will be tracked throughout the project. ..
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialBARBARA O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Participants will be contacted annually to determine current health status. Follow up includes ascertainment of adverse medical outcomes, cancer incidence, cause of death, and mortality impact. ..
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialMona Fouad; Fiscal Year: 2013..Participants will be contacted annually to determine current health status. Follow up includes ascertainment of adverse medical outcomes, cancer incidence, cause of death, and mortality impact. ..
- Pituitary dysfunction, behavioral symptoms, and quality of life after blast mTBICHARLES WILLIAM WILKINSON; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- Prospective studies of cancer etiology and prevention in Shanghai and SingaporeJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The findings of the proposed study will have great impact on reducing incidence and mortality of lung and liver cancers in humans. ..
- Natural History and Prevention of Viral Hepatitis Among Alaska NativesBRIAN JAMES MCMAHON; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Discovery of Small Molecule MBT Domain AntagonistsSTEPHEN VERNON FRYE; Fiscal Year: 2010..The chemical probes designed, synthesized and validated in this proposal will have applications in the discovery of molecular targets to treat diseases such as cancer and in the development of safe stem cell based therapeutics. ..
- Impact of the P479L Variant in CPT1A on Infant Mortality in AlaskaDavid M Koeller; Fiscal Year: 2011..The results of this study will aid in the development of evidence-based guidelines for the treatment of Alaska Native infants diagnosed with CPT1A deficiency by newborn screening. ..
- Neurobehavioral Correlates of Familial/genetic obesity risk in adolescentsSusan Carnell; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Inhibition of human neutrophil function by Francisella tularensisLee Ann H Allen; Fiscal Year: 2012..The results of this study may lead to new treatments to combat this severe and often fatal lung infection. ..
- The role of Fli1 in T cell function and the pathogenesis of lupusTamara K Nowling; Fiscal Year: 2011..Additionally, insight will be gained into the regulation of T cell function in both health and disease with relevance to an array of immune and neoplastic diseases. ..
- Behavioral Activation Therapy for Rural Veterans with Diabetes and DepressionAanand Dinkar Naik; Fiscal Year: 2013..As therapists are all advanced psychology graduate students, it is unclear whether individuals without such previous training can implement the intervention. This may hamper implementation efforts. ..
- Functional Genomics of the Mitochondrial ProteomeDennis R Winge; Fiscal Year: 2011..The function of up to 30% of the mitochondrial proteome is unknown. This proposal will elucidate the function of these un-annotated mitochondrial proteins, providing new insights into the role of mitochondria in human disease. ..
- SUPPORT CONTRACT FOR THE NTP INTERAGENCY CENTER/VALIDATION OF ALT METHODSDavid Allen; Fiscal Year: 2009..NICEATM and ICCVAM will also evaluate non-animal methods and approaches for determining the skin irritation potential of antimicrobial cleaning products...
- Hepcidin-based screening for infantile iron deficiencyMark D Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Controlling Radiation Injury by TLR5 AgonistsAndrei V Gudkov; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed experiments will provide essential mechanistic insight into the previously observed radio-protective and -mitigative effects of CBLB502. ..
- Improving TB Diagnosis in Children with and without HIV in KenyaRinn Song; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- A MicroRNA Approach to Screen for Sporadic Colon Cancer Exfoliately in Human StooFarid E Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, larger well designed clinical studies are needed to corroborate initial results. ..
- ICSBP Function During Myeloid DifferentiationELIZABETH ANN EKLUND; Fiscal Year: 2011..Functional characterization of such a pathway has implications for identifying early markers of disease progression in human myeloid malignancy and rational targets for molecular therapeutic approaches to diseases such as CML and MDS. ..
- Model of Timothy Syndrome to Screen Drugs with Induced Pluripotent Stem CellsMasayuki Yazawa; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed systems to screen a library of compounds to rescue TS phenotypes will provide a platform to find novel lead compounds that would be clinically useful for the treatment of not only TS but also other cardiac arrhythmias. ..
- Model of Timothy Syndrome to Screen Drugs with Induced Pluripotent Stem CellsMasayuki Yazawa; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Density and Veteran Cigarette SmokersArthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Phage Display for Improved Peptide-based Tumor Targeting and Imaging AgentsSusan L Deutscher; Fiscal Year: 2013..This work is significant and relevant to the VA mission because the peptides discovered here may translate into novel prostate, breast, and ovarian cancer diagnostics and therapeutics for our veterans. ..
- Regulation of Cell Signaling by Human Biliverdin ReductaseMahin D Maines; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, the enzyme activity is necessary for protection against the fatal "green jaundice". Our work has revealed a novel approach for development of therapeutic interventions in a range of human diseases. ..
- Biology of IGFs in BoneThomas L Clemens; Fiscal Year: 2013..An understanding of this pathway should ultimately enable better management of diabetic veterans and conceivably lead to the design a single therapy, which can simultaneously target both osteoporosis and type 2 diabetes. ..
- Identification and Analysis of Flavivirus Protease and RNA Helicase InhibitorsRadhakrishnan Padmanabhan; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Viral and Host Determinants of New World Alphaviral EntryASIM AMINSHARIF AHMED; Fiscal Year: 2013..Children's Hospital Boston is committed to this career development plan and has assured the candidate will be able to devote at least 85% full-time effort to the activities described in this proposal. ..
- Regulation of Bile Acid Synthesis by Nuclear ReceptorsJohn Y L Chiang; Fiscal Year: 2013..The long-term objectives of this research are to elucidate the molecular mechanism of regulation of CYP7A1 and bile acid metabolism, and pathogenesis and treatment of metabolic diseases such as fatty liver disease, diabetes and obesity. ..
- Intracellular Phase Diagram Creation Using a Micro-Differential Scanning CalorimeGARY L SOLBREKKEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will test the new machine on mouse oocytes, mouse and rat embryos, and zebrafish embryos. ..
- Tissue-specific delivery of probes by control of membrane trafficking of endoprotBlake Peterson; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Expanding Vietnamese Community and Academic Infrastructure for Health ResearchBang H Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Unbiased genome-wide screen to identify genes regulating mucous cell hyperplasiaJeffrey A Whitsett; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project will identify potential therapeutic targets and molecules that will provide the basis for future therapies of these chronic lung diseases that, together, comprise a major health problem world-wide. ..
- Mechanism-Based Discovery of Protectants Against Iron-Dependant Oxidative InjuryJUSTIN M SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..My project proposes to better understand the role of iron mobilization from lysosomes to mitochondria in ischemia/reperfusion injury and to develop novel therapies to mitigate or eliminate damage from this condition. ..
- Systemic AA Amyloidosis InhibitorsALAN D SNOW; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this project we intend to develop a new drug (and back-up) for effective treatment of ~100,000 cases of systemic amyloidosis in the USA, for which today there is no real treatment whatsoever. ..
- Small Molecule targeting of NADPH oxidase in neutrophilsMarie Dominique Filippi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, our study will help delivering a novel pharmaceutical target, and suitable lead compounds for the treatment of lung inflammation, such as ALI and ARDS. ..
- C5a as an Anti-HIV Microbicidal CandidatePHILIPPE ANDRE GALLAY; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, protective results would provide proof-of-concept of the usefulness of topically applied microbicides, such as C5A, to prevent genital HIV transmission. ..
- Effects of Standardized Aerobic Exercise-Training on Neurocognitive and NeurodegeThomas O Obisesan; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Bioassay for Breast Cancer PreventionJoEllen Welsh; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Molecular Mechanisms of Disease Progression in Myeloid MalignancyELIZABETH ANN EKLUND; Fiscal Year: 2013..Targeting these mechanisms may lead to cure in CML by abolishing the CSC/LSC, and suggest therapeutic approaches to other forms of cancer with dysregulation of Fas and bcatenin. ..
- Integrated signaling of eicosanoids in HSC formation and regenerationTrista E North; Fiscal Year: 2013..These results are expected to reveal deeper insight into interactive roles of inflammatory mediators in marrow regeneration and have relevance for combinatorial targeting to direct clinical outcome in transfusion biology. ..
- Novel Reagents and Methods for Rapid and High Throughput Detection of Aflatoxin CALAN AI PING WEI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our research aims to bridge this gap by developing rapid, high throughput and automated technologies for aflatoxin detection. ..
- Preclinical drug trial in mouse models of inflammationKanneboyina Nagaraju; Fiscal Year: 2011..This proposal will help to train a pool of talented young scientists to pursue mouse model research and accelerate development of therapies for inflammatory diseases. ..
- Novel Macrolide Th17 InhibitorsJay K Kolls; Fiscal Year: 2012..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Interleukin-17 can cause lung inflammation and asthma. This project is to indentify drugs that can inhibit IL-17 and lung inflammation. ..
- Efficacy of GABAA a5 receptor inverse agonists in learning impaired ratsEARL MICHAEL GIBBS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Patients with learning disorders and those suffering from complications due to neurodegenerative diseases will greatly benefit as PWZ-029 moves another step closer to the clinic. ..
- Regulation of NFkappaB activity by the Estrogen ReceptorKendall W Nettles; Fiscal Year: 2012..We propose to use these synthetic compounds to understand the molecular details of this important anti-inflammatory pathway. ..
- New therapeutics for the treatment of Acinetobactor baumannii infections.ALLEN BERNARD REITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Identification of Compounds to treat Charcot-Marie-Tooth type 2E neuropathyRONALD K LIEM; Fiscal Year: 2010..The goal of this project is to use chemical screening to identify novel drugs to treat one type of CMT and test them in mouse models of the disease. ..
- Combined raman spectroscopy-optical tomagraphy for complete diagnosis of skin canAnita Mahadevan Jansen; Fiscal Year: 2009..With the success of this technique, RSOCT can be applied to other organ sites such as the breast, prostate and ovary as well as other diseases thus impacting a broader field in medicine. ..
- Development and Validation of a Panel of Breast Cancer for the Early Diagnosis ofFELIX RODOLFO FERNANDEZ MADRID; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose that this test used in conjunction with mammography has the potential to complement and increase the accuracy of the screening process. ..
- Novel Informatics for Highly Reliable Multi-Locus Allele Calling for Embryo ScreeMatthew Rabinowitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..GSN's PS technology of will bring the domain of PGD into the realm of reliable diagnostics which can be regulated and used as part of the standard of care during in-vitro fertilization. ..
- Determinants of Participation in an Anal Cancer Prevention TrialJoel Palefsky; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Easy-to-Use, Low-Cost, Handheld Retinal Camera for Screening for Diabetic RetinopRANDAL CHINNOCK; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- A Microfluidic Biochip for Rapid Screening of Pesticide ResidueXiaoli Su; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- National Lung Study TrialDouglas Reding; Fiscal Year: 2009..Participants will be contacted annually to determine current health status. Follow up includes ascertainment of adverse medical outcomes, cancer incidence, cause of death, and mortality impact. ..
- National Lung Screening Trial (NLST)Cheryl Robinson; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Colorectal Cancer Screening in Southwestern Hispanics and Native AmericansRobert Rhyne; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- High throughput screening assays to identify small molecules that target the ClpXCarolyn K Suzuki; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, activators of ClpXP and/or Lon may also be exploited in the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders linked to mitochondrial protein aggregation. ..
- Pilot study of Newborn screening for hemoglobinopathies in South Gujarat IndiaLakshmanan Krishnamurti; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Screening for Jervell and Lange-Nielsen SyndromeRuey Kang R Chang; Fiscal Year: 2010..While mass screening of the general population for JLNS is not practical, the prevalence of JLNS in older children with congenital ..
- Spatial, Temporal, Social Disparities in Breast CancerMario Schootman; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Development of Behavioral and Social Interventions that Reduce Stigma and ImproveCrystal M Fuller; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Regional Cystic fibrosis DNA Mutation AnalysisJANE P GETCHELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..1 ..
- High Content Screening for Muscular DystrophyHerman Vandenburgh; Fiscal Year: 2007..While not a cure for the disease, these new drug therapies are aimed at enhancing quality and longevity of life of the DMD patient. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Development of a disposable shippable chip for high throughput ion channel screenJASON POULOS; Fiscal Year: 2009..We propose here to develop inexpensive membrane array chips and use them for large scale production, demonstrating the feasibility of this technology for ion channel screening. ..
- Cost-effectiveness of genetic screening for colon cancerSandeep Vijan; Fiscal Year: 2006..Outcome measures: The risks of developing or dying from CRC, the costs of screening, and the incremental cost-effectiveness of various screening regimens. ..
- Quantifying Risk to Target Screening ColonoscopyThomas Imperiale; Fiscal Year: 2009..The knowledge generated by this research will help maximize prevention and minimize the morbidity and cost of CRC screening. ..
- Past Experiences and Current Mammography BehaviorsEileen Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Role of Physicians and Their Groups in Cancer ScreeningGeorge Wright; Fiscal Year: 2005..Since the proposed methodology is new, a small grant is proposed to develop and validate the approach and to generate initial substantive results. ..